2. Travel
  3. Airlines

3.7/5 (232 ratings)

About Hawaiian Airlines

Hawaiian Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?

Original review: April 30, 2021

Flew from Maui to Portland yesterday and was surrounded by families in the 3rd section of the plane. Kids crying, coughing, screaming many w/o masks. I know the air is filtered but this was over the top! Upon exiting the flight these same people crowded the isles for what seemed like forever with NO awareness to distancing. In fact people were face to face waiting to exit and by then the filtering of air had stopped. I stayed in my seat and kept my head down to avoid the proximity of people but feel strongly this was a breeding ground for Covid, and btw I am a Registered Nurse, I know my science. Too many people on that flight. No more Hawaiian Air for us.

Original review: April 27, 2021

First of all let me say I understand that Covid hit everyone hard. Let me rephrase that hit everyone that means your customers. I had a flight booked for two people in 2020 that obviously was canceled. I took a flight voucher on it knowing that I would go back. However the cost of my flight for two people now I can’t even get a flight for one person at the same cost. I understand raising your flights to make up some of the cost but tripling them. I believe that’s called price gouging. Not only that I have a credit card with you that will soon be canceled once I can get hold of anybody to use my flight points to go to Hawaii for my last time because of Hawaiian airlines.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Trying to book a flight with 2 adults and one 3 yr old child... The website states.. "We weren't able to proceed with your booking. Please try your search again." I call the number, wait 35 minutes and finally get an answer from a girl who says "oh, you are booking with a child under 12? Yah.. The website is not allowing that, we don't know why"... I ask if I can book my flight through her, she states, "No.. It does not allow us to book either." I tell her OK, so I should go book my $3600 with another carrier, and she says "Yes, that is the only way." Wow... Amazing incompetence from their employees. Never again wasting my time with this airline.

Original review: March 7, 2021

I had an incredibly frustrating experience today with Hawaiian, and I’m not sure I ever want to fly with them again. Today, I was supposed to travel with a group of 5 friends from OGG -> LIH. I had checked in prior to arriving at the airport. When we arrived, 40 minutes prior to departure, prior to cut-off time listed at your website (https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/our-services/at-the-airport/check-in/airport-check-in), I went to go check in my bag. I waited in line check my bag, and was re-directed to go to the kiosk to print a bag tag.

The first kiosk I went to started reading my passport but then appeared to crash. I waited a few minutes for it to respond, then gave up and went to a second kiosk. The second kiosk accepted my passport, but then it gave me an error which re-directed me to the departure agent. Again, I waited in line for the departure agent. Once I got to the departure agent, she told me I was in the wrong line and directed me to go wait in a different line. So I went to go wait in the other line. By the time I got back up to the departure agent again, I was told that I was too late and could not check in anymore and would be pushed to another flight. She told me if I got to the gate, the gate agent may be able to get me on the earlier flight.

What made this incredibly more frustrating, was that two of my friends on the same flight were also checking their bags. They were literally putting their bags on the conveyor while the departure agent was telling me that they couldn’t check my bag. I was able to get through security quickly and the flight wasn’t even halfway boarded yet. I was told I couldn’t fly on that flight, saying I had checked in too late, despite literally showing the gate agent the ticket I had when I checked in online on my phone. I ended up waiting with my friends for 10 minutes before they departed on the flight that I was supposed to be on.

As a result, I got split up with my group and was put on a later flight. This later flight was then delayed an hour and a half. This caused me to miss my connecting flight from HNL -> LIH. The guest services agent here was able to book me on standby for a flight later today, but was unable to help me in any other way, not even something small like complimentary access to the lounge. So now I’m stuck at HNL writing up this experience while I wait for my flight to LIH. Being on standby, I’m not even sure I will be able to make it to LIH tonight.

Original review: March 4, 2021

Showed up to Maui and they wouldn't let me and my husband leave bc the Hilo airport assured us the testing would be sufficient and it wasn't. Couldn't leave the airport, scammed us out of an additional $300 each to fly round trip back to Honolulu to get tested. The attendants were beyond rude and the whole thing seemed like a big joke to them. One in particular testing agent went out of her way to make our blood boil. She literally laughed in our face and told us to go home. Terrible, terrible experience. Ashamed they got any of my hard earned money.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

Terrible "attendants"... wow how do they became attendants? Don’t the company educate the attendants' service manners? I was shocked that how they were so loud (voice) and rude, unkind, angry, no etiquette people that I have ever dealt with! They don’t ask you with nice words... instead, They looked down on you and order you what to do it. Also They don’t quietly or gently request to you ... instead, they shout at you with loud voice even a little child is listening right next to you. How rude and how unpleasant experience We had! We loved the whole trip and this coming back home airline experience really ruined our mood...

I am telling you, If this airline wants to be survived in business, they should fire those terrible attendants who can not be changed in personality. Rehire new attendants who are willing to learn and practice airline service education and manners with real Hawaiian kind positive spirit. Because of this poor experience, Our whole family and in law families decided we will never take that airline again.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

For our 39th Anniversary in June, I booked a Hawaiian Airlines Vacation hotel and air package for the first time this past Jan. 2021. A few days later I went to print the itinerary and was surprised the flights were cancelled but, not the hotel. No alternate flights were offered. I quickly cancelled the hotel so I could collect a refund. I called 1-844-762-0089 Customer Service and they insisted I cancelled the flight on my computer and therefore, not entitled to a refund only credit. I had no reason to cancel the flight to our anniversary weekend. They chose to blame me and not refund my money. Now I have a $315 credit when I would prefer not to have to pay the credit card for nothing. I will never use Hawaiian Airlines Vacation service again. Too bad we have limited airlines to choose from.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

In March 2020 I was meant to travel to Hawaii but due to COVID-19 had to cancel my trip. Initially I was only offered a credit voucher for the flights but I managed to fight my way through to get a refund. 9 months later I am still waiting for my refund. When I was trying to get a refund, the correspondence I was receiving from Hawaiian Airlines was extremely slow and they were taking ages to get back to me. In the time I had requested a refund to when Hawaiian airline approved the refund request I had to close the card which I initially paid for the flights with. I informed Hawaiian airlines that the original form of payment method no longer existed but they still went ahead and processed the refund to the card which had been closed as they claimed "they can only process a refund to the original form of payment".

I kept calling my bank to inform them of what happened and if they had received a refund under my details but they assured me that the funds had bounced back to Hawaiian airlines and every time I went and told Hawaiian airlines this they just came back to me and said the refund has been processed on their end and to keep contacting my bank. After 3 months of asking them to do a proper check of their accounts I was able to get a letter from my bank showing that the funds had bounced back to Hawaiian Airlines, only then did they finally decide to acknowledge that the money was sitting with them. So then they agreed to do a wire transfer to my nominated bank account so I sent them my bank details and was told it would take 3-5 weeks to process a wire transfer.

5 weeks had passed and I still hadn't received my refund so I made multiple phone calls and sent a number of emails to try follow up and all I kept getting was "please wait for the consumer affairs team to respond to you". Nobody even bothered to actually look into my case and see what the hold up was until I spoke to a Supervisor who told me he would look into the case and get back to me within the day. The next day I received an email saying my refund had been processed to the original form of payment method... again, after it had been established that original payment method no longer existed and a wire transfer would be done. They just went and did the same thing which I specifically asked them not to so here I am 9 months later still waiting for my refund. Safe to say I will never fly with this airline again. Worst experience I have ever encountered with an airline.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

I am a USA Army veteran living in the Philippines, and also a retired educator. I travelled from Manila to Tripler Army Medical Center in Hawaii to receive some very serious medical attention involving surgery. My flight from Manila was on PAL but I transferred to HAL when I arrived in Tokyo. The flight itself was pleasant but the flight attendants were anything but professional. I have been flying since I was a young child because my father was a Marine and we travelled a lot (since 1966). I have flown many many times overseas, Europe, Southeast and East Asia, and many times over the continental USA. To my recollection these "attendants", were the most rude, ignorant, unresponsive, angry, laconic people that I have ever dealt with! They looked as miserable as a cat on a cactus!

Now being that I was at the time NOT in good health and worried about my foreign wife who could not travel to the U.S. with me, I attempted to leave my seat to go to the restroom but forgot that I still had my seatbelt snapped loosely around my waist. When I attempted to rise I was caught and fell back in my seat. The stewardess, a miserable middle aged woman said- "you have to unbuckle your seat belt first!", in the most demeaning sarcastic voice that she could utter! Now I may not be a genius but I do have a Masters degree and had been a High School Guidance Counselor for numerous years and in all that time with 400 students every year, you would be unable to find anyone that I have spoken to in that tone and manner! I observed the rest of the "crew", and they all looked as unhappy and borderline angry as did the aforementioned attendant. I will NEVER fly that airline again, NEVER EVER!!!!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I needed to cancel my fight due to unforeseen circumstances. Apparently my tickets were non refundable. The total amount was just over $1000 yet they needed to keep $100 each ticket for a penalty charge. Apparently the airlines are needed my $300 more than I did. Our accommodations in Hawaii were canceled, they refunded our money in full. My Family booked through another airline, their money was refunded in full. This is the first and last time that I will book with Hawaiian airlines.

Hawaiian Airlines Company Information