3.58/5

263 Hawaiian Airlines Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 1, 2019

When my Mom Traveled back Home to Hawaii, Oahu this morning 04/30/19 from San Jose Airport at 9 am Flight #HA 43, I Confirmed with ticket Agent she needs wheelchair service. She said, ""Dont worry. You already booked for HANDICAP WHEELS CHAIR SERVICE from airplane to curbside." When she landed my Mom waited 30 mins for wheelchair service. No one came to get her. She had to walk to terminal #1 baggage claim. About a mile walk. In pain.

Original review: April 28, 2019

Horrible customer service! Check in refused to accept my surfboard bag because the measured the bag to be 1 inch over the maximum even though it was specified by the manufacturer to be 9’-6” board bag. We almost missed our flight due to their lack of understanding. NOT REASONABLE PEOPLE. Extremely rude and unhelpful.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I travel Hawaiian Airlines 2-3 times a week. No bags and Elite Hawaiian Airline status. I say this only to emphasize my experience with traveling Hawaiian Airlines and maneuvering the Honolulu airport. I showed up to my gate between 8:10-8:15 am, departure time was 8:34. The doors were already locked. I went to the customer service desk and spoke with Lufi who was immediately rude and argumentative.

She claimed they did not close the doors early. I asked her what time they close the doors and she said 10 minutes before departure. I asked her what time that was because I believe they closed the doors early. She would not answer my question. Her words were that I was upset because I missed my flight and that it’s my own fault. I seriously have never experienced a service rep more rude in all my travel. I asked to speak with her supervisor and when he got there she continued to bully her supervisor! She yelled at me in front of him.

Ignored him when he was talking. I told her she was lying about what time they closed the boarding and that they closed boarding early. She started yelling,” No you’re the one lying!” It was shocking to see an employee acting like this in front of her supervisor! Her supervisor Em didn’t know what to say other than asked me to email a complaint to consumer affairs.

Employees like this should be fired. She could have easily taken care of the situation in a professional way, starting with being honest that they closed the doors early followed with an explanation of why. Then I would understand but instead she told me I was late, I was mad because I missed my flight, and would not answer my questions. Lufi is not the typical Hawaiian Airlines employee. She is rude and I’ve never encountered someone with such antagonizing behavior while traveling in my life. If you have a problem with Lufi please know you are not alone and report her to Consumer Affairs so she doesn’t continue to get away with disrespecting her supervisor and customers.

Original review: April 5, 2019

BUYER BEWARE- Hawaiian Airlines has taken to misrepresenting seat availability so that customers will think they are seated separately from their party and that the only option is to pay to upgrade if you want seats together. THIS IS A DECEPTION. I was just swindled out of $160 to find a less than half full plan even though they indicated during the check in process that no seats were available without additional fees. THEY ARE CON ARTISTS! Go with literally any other airlines you can. I would give them a zero rating if I could.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I purchased 4 flights to Maui with miles and credit card. Quickly realized it was cheaper to NOT use miles. Canceled the trip and rebooked without miles. They refunded the credit card price but refused to refund the miles. $1770!!! I contested it with my credit card company and Hawaiian denied. Then...wait it gets better. I tried to use those miles to add a child to the vacation to Maui and the online process froze after I submitted my credit card. I called them and they said they see the reservation but my credit card didn’t go through. They said I now have less miles than the flight requires and want me to purchase additional miles! Which I now know are not refundable.

I say check again because I had plenty of miles. “Oh oh oh, here it is ma’am”. And they proceed to finish the reservation and give me the ticket code, which I am unable to pull up on my computer. After several tries to see the receipt and several “oh oh oh ma’am try this” I finally saw a receipt and still feel I took it up the **. I will never fly with them again! Someone needs to investigate!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hawaiian Airlines?

Original review: March 18, 2019

Flying to Hawaii first class, the only way to fly. Cabin crew's friendly, polite, and attentive. Flights from West Coast to Hawaii are conveniently scheduled. Aircraft appear to be in good repair. Ground personnel friendly and efficient.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Excellent customer service and meals. Have always been accommodated for special needs (handicapped). Employees stress the Aloha Spirit. Always on time and the value offered for fares are comparable to other airlines.

Original review: March 2, 2019

The ticket I purchased from Hawaiian Airlines was a one stop flight. The flight from New York (JFK) to Las Vegas (LAS) was with JetBlue and the second flight from Las Vegas (LAS) to Honolulu (HNL) was with Hawaiian Airlines. The layover time in LAS was an hour. I purchased the ticket at Hawaiian Airlines. So, the entire arrangement was made by the Hawaiian Airlines. Me and my husband arrived in JFK at around 6PM and received our ticket from JetBlue. 5 minutes after we received our ticket, I received a text message from JetBlue - noting that the flight had 2 hours delay.

This automatically caused us to miss our flight in Las Vegas to Hawaii. We called Hawaiian Airline and they changed our flight to following morning from JFK. This experience caused us extra cost on transportation and one day delay in Hawaii which was the purpose of trip. We contacted Hawaiian Airlines for reimbursement of the extra expenses caused by the delay on the first flight and they asked us to contact JetBlue which was arranged by Jet Blue and purchase was made in Hawaiian Airline’s website. In the meantime, we did reach out to JetBlue Airlines and they told us we should be reimbursed by Hawaiian Airlines. The entire experience has been a nightmare with Hawaiian Airlines.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Just to verify my travels I fly Ohana Air which is run by Hawaiian Airlines and fly Hawaiian to the continental US. I fly round trip at least four times a year to another island and try to make it once a year to the US, every time I fly I experience the same thing... (frustration!) I am so frustrated with the long lines and confusion that I had to write a review.

First of all I am a local of Hawaii and believe in local first. Hawaiian is a local company and love flying Hawaiian but getting to that point is downright ridiculous!!! As an example: Just this weekend I flew to Lanai (a stone throw away). I got there 3 hours early expecting lines and delays and lucky I did. After checking in with the automated check ins which is a great idea and even if there is a lot of people there, you still don't have to wait but two people in front of you and you can always find someone there friendly to help you, if you have any problems. That is acceptably and great. But after you're done with that then the confusion starts, from there you have to drag your bags all the way to the other end of the lobby for your bag drop... (Why not make the inter-island bag drop right there) Then people could go straight to TSA.

Right now I think you had the Japan or International lines there, you know that most local people are hitting the dropoff in the beginning why not put the Japan and International flights at the end on the terminal? After a few drops the buses and taxi's would know exactly where to drop people off just by their destination. Carrying/lugging your bags through all the lines of people causes more confusion, workers actually have to stop a lines just to let people by to get to another line... They direct you go outside of the lobby and come back in just to get around the TSA check point. It was raining, and everyone outside waiting in line got wet. There has to be a better way! It's ridiculous!

With all the overhead $$$'s you have made over the past years, I would have thought your CEO's/engineers would have came up with ideas to make passengers experience better. From what I see it has gotten worse... Hawaiian Air has/had the market cornered especially on inter island flights. I would have hoped they came up with something by now to take care of the local people. Like Alaska Air does, just as long as you can present a local Alaska ID, your bags fly free, and you may change your flight at no cost. (Take care of the Kupuna's, they are the ones that would stay loyal). Now with SouthWest entering the market and the feeling that Hawaiian has been taking us locals to the cleaners for all this time. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say "I'm not sure if I want to fly Hawaiian?" You guys gotta get your act together and soon! Disappointed traveler.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

So we arrive early morning for our flight which was delayed but we were okay with. My son's allergies had been flared up all weekend while we were there. I had been giving him ** the whole weekend and he was fine. But he’s a 2 year old who can’t properly clear out his mucus like an adult. So he swallowed too much of it and choked and threw up his mucus. Other than that he was fine, no fever no nothing. Well he happened to do it all in front of the check in ladies. I cleaned it up and it was pure mucus and he was fine after that, he ate and drank with no problem. Just allergies making him feel crappy just like any other person who has them.

Hawaiian Airlines called MedLife and she deemed us unfit to fly. Granted no one actually came to physical assess him. This was all done through the phone. But before she said we couldn’t fly they allowed us to go to the gate and sit there until 5 mins before boarding to tell us we couldn’t fly. Her words were “not recommended”, my husband came over and told me and I said I don’t care if it’s not recommended, we need to be back there because my husband is active duty military and we need to go home cause his pass ends tonight. Well she then says again it’s not recommended and we’re basically on a 24 hour hold. So we had to beg to get our stuff off the plane because our car seats were on the plane already. That took forever as well to even get it. She doesn’t give us new flight information and just says she’ll put it in the system and to come back at the same time tomorrow.

So I called Hawaiian Airlines and after the run around, I was told nothing was in the system and they were gonna charge us $251 PER PERSON for flight change. I went off asking why? I was forced off this flight and told to come back tomorrow, to where he tells me over the phone they have to charge but to just show up tomorrow and things should be free.

Flash Forward to the next morning, we get up at 4:45. Get there around 5:25... Plane takes off at 7:40. Get to the desk and NOTHING WAS IN THE SYSTEM. Now we wait an hour to get things situated. No one has the number to MedLife to clear my son to fly... Again no one came to see him. No one is trained to do this whole give us new tickets and waive the fee. So we sat there with two year old twins trying to get tickets. We get tickets but no seats have been assigned.

For both this flight and our layover flight. End of the day we made it on the flight and now I’ll never fly Hawaiian. Their customer service needs a lot of work.

Hawaiian Airlines Company Information