2. Travel

American Express Travel

4.0/5 (88 ratings)

About American Express Travel

American Express Travel Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Travel?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: June 2, 2020

Booked our trip 1 year in advance with Amex Travel online. No problems until Covid-19. Our flight was Mar. 30 to Scotland. On Mar. 20th got a notice from AA that our trip was canceled. So I called Amex Travel, and said what should I do not going to take the flight and it has been canceled, she told me, "We will cancel it on our end and since it was a non-refundable ticket you will have to take 2 vouchers to use later." I was not happy, mainly because this was a trip that was for an event which was no longer happening, so I was not going to rebook.

Told me I had no choice, so it was canceled by Amex Travel... Big Mistake!!! Since laws have changed in May for non-refundable tickets I decided to call today being June 1st. For the 3rd time got on the phone with Amex, the first agent said, "Can't help you, call the airlines and have them give you the refund." Call AA, they were nice and said "No, Amex holds your ticket and they are the only ones to issue this refund." Back on the phone to Amex Travel, this time got a supervisor, explained it again!! After 2 hours of phone time waiting, being transferred, repeating our story again, and holding. I got nowhere, "we can check into it if you give us 5 to 7 days we will notify you."

They said because I canceled the ticket that they cannot issue a refund. They keep saying that it is the airlines that will not allow the refund, but that is wrong. Because of me staying on top of our plans and calling Amex Travel I am not allowed a refund. They claim I agreed to cancel the flight. They told me if I would have done nothing, then it might be different, but I am sure if I did nothing they would tell me, "well you didn't tell us your flight was cancelled". The double edge sword... Honestly, I have done a lot of business with Amex Travel, never had an issue, they always helped me. I think because of this Covid-19 they are finding every excuse not to refund anyones tickets. From reading all these other reviews I see I am not alone. I was a very happy Amex Card carrier, now I am not. From now on booking with Airlines no more Amex Travel...sadly.

Original review: May 8, 2020

AMEX Travel is a scam and that is being nice. Booked r/t business class tickets to Japan. It was bought well in advance of COVID19. Prior to the COVID 19 pandemic, Japan Airlines changed our routing. Amex rebooked us without telling us, gave us a 5 hour layover and put us in economy on US domestic flights. Called to refund, Amex claimed that since we didn't object to the schedule change they considered it consent. They never told us that they booked us in economy! I went round and round with Amex over this and finally just gave up.

Fast forward to COVID19. JAL issued a directive allowing free cancellation of all flights with a refund. Our ticket is refundable with a fee (which JAL said they would waive b/c of COVID). Amex stated that "their" policy only allowed a refund up until May 31st (JAL says June 30th, along with JAL's website). Amex now claims that it only applies to airfare bought directly with JAL versus a travel agent. JAL confirmed their policy and Amex still won't allow a refund. I'm beyond done. I have spent 10+ hours on the phone with the people and have got nothing. They have scammed me and refuse to refund my money even though I have two independent basis for refunds and I am well within the ticket's refund rules. Amex has lost a long time customer over their scam policies.

Original review: May 6, 2020

This has been a nightmare, pre-Covid and post. I originally thought the Amex price for the r/t ticket for my daughter, NYC to Copenhagen, on SAS Airlines, was lower, so booked online through Amex. It wasn't actually lower, because it was unclear with Amex that no luggage or decent seat selection (extra for a plain old window seat!) was included. Ok. Done. I figured I would get help from Amex anyway going forward, if needed.

First, had some difficulty with luggage and seats. Amex could not help. Then, shortly after booking -- through no fault of Amex -- I had to change the return flight. There was a $300 change fee from SAS (again, not the fault of Amex). However, once you book through Amex, you can do nothing without going through them, so I could not make the change online -- you have to call them -- AND they also charge you a change fee!

For a flight leaving 1/10, returning 5/11, I needed to change the return to 5/9. (Same flight, different day. Many seats were available). I was on the phone with a representative (this was pre-covid) for 45 minutes, for this very simple matter, as she seemed to have absolutely no idea what she was doing. I was calm and polite, until the end, when she said, "Ok! You're all set! So I changed the ticket so that your flight is leaving May 9 and returning May 11." At that point I lost it and shouted, "No! I did not ask to change the departing flight! Do not make that change! I need to speak to a supervisor!" Eventually, after another half hour, the change was correctly made. If I had not booked through Amex, this change would have been a very simple and cheaper process.

Then, once Covid hit, I needed to change my daughter's return flight from May 9 to a March date. I was about to do this, but then Trump made his ridiculous speech on March 11th, at first saying Americans had to return by March 13, and I had to change the flight immediately, that night, to get her home by 3/13. If I could have gone online myself, I could have changed the return ticket, at worst for $300. But that was not possible -- I had to go through Amex (by phone) for that rebooking, and they were impossible to reach. So I had to buy a new ticket online, which cost $1500 (that was the price of a one-way ticket).

Now, as May 9th is finally almost here, I am allowed to call Amex to attempt to get a refund for the return flight of the original r/t ticket (which would be only $300 or so -- offsetting only a small portion of the $1500 -- but I need that $300). But Amex tells me they can't help me! I have to go to SAS! The SAS website says (as it has at every step) if you booked through a travel agent, go to the travel agent. I called Amex again; they sent me back to SAS. I explain, again, that I cannot process anything through the SAS website -- it directs me to Amex. Another hour on the phone. Amex then says they will call SAS -- only if I remain on the line -- but they can't reach SAS. "Someone" will call me back. I have had an Amex card for many years, but this was my first time using the travel services. I am surprised that Amex wants its name associated with the business, which, from my experience, is just a sham.

Original review: April 20, 2020

I booked a flight to Lisbon/Grand Canary with AMEX travel on TAP airlines. Due to the Covid 19 crisis, the flight was cancelled by the airlines and I was entitled to a full refund-- this is per the company, whom I contacted directly when AMEX travel told me I couldn't get a refund. Even though I was on a 3 way conference call and heard the TAP agent TELL the AMEX travel agent I could get a refund, the amex travel agent said they couldn't issue a refund because they didn't have "authorization". My friends who booked directly with TAP and used Chase Visa got their refunds back within an hour and I have spent upwards of 15 hours on the phone and still haven't gotten my refund!! I will NEVER book a flight with AMEX travel again.

Original review: April 13, 2020

We never received confirmation of a hotel booking at one of AMEX's FHR (Fine Hotels and Resorts) Partner Hotels and obviously were unaware that the booking existed.. until we noticed a charge of nearly $7000 from the resort. This booking never appeared anywhere in our confirmed "My Trips" folder in our AMEX account. It was never listed as a confirmed booking or a past booking... we had no idea that the booking existed. We've been dealing with AMEX and disputing this charge since January when we saw the charge appear on our billing statement. We have spent over 10 hours on the phone with AMEX representatives and supervisors in customer service, Platinum Travel Services, and finally AMEX Travel (because apparently, none of the branches can communicated with any of the others)... so when a client gets transferred, the nightmare of explaining to the next AMEX representative begins all over again. In an attempt to help the AMEX representatives "researching" our dispute better understand what we believe to be the very justified and legitimate reasons for our dispute of the $7000 hotel reservation that we are being charged but did not know about, we wrote AMEX a 4 page detailed letter. We don't believe a single AMEX representative took a second to read it. After 3 months and countless hours of time and frustration, today AMEX informed us that they will look into the software glitch that prevented the booking from being reported to us and appearing in our "My Trips" confirmed and accessible AMEX bookings so that they can try to prevent this from happening again in the future. In the meantime, they expect us to pay nearly $7000 for a 5 night hotel booking that we didn't know about and a booking that never appeared in our confirmed and upcoming travel itineraries in our account.

In looking at the actual resort's cancellation or no show policies, "no shows" (which we would have been--- because we didn't know about the reservation and didn't show up for it) may be charged a penalty of one night's stay with taxes and fees. Rather than AMEX advocating for us with their FHR Partner Resort or contacting the AMEX technology department to figure out how an issue such as this could ever happen, they informed us that we are responsible for the entire cost of the booking. They don't know why we never received an official booking itinerary but they said that they sent us an email back in August stating that the hotel was booked.

Needless to say, we did not receive an email with confirmation of this hotel booking and most importantly, it was never included in any of the HUNDREDS of confirmed and managed bookings in our AMEX account. This is not an issue of sloppy negligence or an obvious oversight... this is an issue in which AMEX's system failed to fully notify us of a confirmed booking using the standard online booking procedure. Again, we have booked hundreds of hotel rooms using this system and this is the first time we've ever been faced with such an awful situation and one which AMEX refuses to offer any level of understanding or honest assistance.

We asked to speak to a supervisor of the supervisors in the AMEX Travel department and we were told that it would be a minimum of 72 hours before the head supervisor would reach out to us, but the rep with whom we were speaking assured us that his AMEX supervisor would not do any further research or act as our client advocate. He believes that the dispute is closed and we should be held fully accountable for a $7000 AMEX hotel booking that we didn't know about.

Needless to say, our faith in American Express has been circling the drain since January when this horrific situation and the lack of professionalism, understanding, and advocacy from AMEX became apparent to us. After 30 years with AMEX we will be cancelling all of our personal and business accounts if this dispute isn't resolved without the help of our personal attorney.

We're starting to believe that AMEX is training their representatives to do everything they can to wear their clients into submission. Perhaps for an amount of $70, we wouldn't go through this much effort, time and immense frustration to resolve such a dispute, but unfortunately, our disputed amount is almost $7,000 and we believe that our dispute is 100% justified and valid. With an annual fee of $600 a year, we expect far more in terms of service than the unorganized, disconnected, apathetic and virtually useless responses that we've experienced from AMEX over the last three months as we've attempted to rectify this dispute.

Original review: March 16, 2020

This has been 2 days of trying to get through to Amex. Yesterday my husband called 4 times, waited on hold only to be disconnected EVERY time. Today started calling at 6AM, it is now 7PM. We have called on 2 lines and have been disconnected a total of 8x. Got through once, after holding for 2.5 hours. Then the agent needed to transfer us to a supervisor and guess what... Disconnected. Now have been holding 3 hours and 15 minutes - yup, disconnected. Just called back again. There is NO way to change or cancel your ticket online. You MUST call. Nothing is automated... which is fine but then you need the staff to handle this.

Original review: March 12, 2020

I have never experienced anything like this in my life. I literally was on hold for 4 hours. When I heard the phone ring thru to answer, it hung up. Really? Really? Completely unacceptable. I understand that the coronavirus likely has wreaked havoc with their system, but 4 hours is unacceptable. Every other travel system/organization I have used has implemented a call back system to accommodate this surge.

Original review: March 11, 2020

AmEx Travel selects the cheapest packages for you without notifying about the cancellation policies. I booked a package to France for about $4500 and it appears that I’m not getting a dime back, since I cancelled it, because of medical issues. Reserve your own flight and hotel. Never deal with AmEx travel. Now they’re telling me that the rescheduling will cost me about $290, plus charges on hotel room price difference, which depends when I reschedule it for. Of course summer prices are going to be more expensive. I’ll be losing at least $1000, not knowing if it needs to be rescheduled again. NEVER WORK WITH AMEX TRAVEL!!!

Original review: March 4, 2020

Don't book any tickets using Amextravel.com online services!!! The WORST customer service EVER. 3 days on the phone with them and can't resolve the issue. Korean Airlines made a change on our tickets departing on a different date from a different location/city. Instead of departing from Las Vegas now we have to depart from Los Angeles. American Express Platinum Department can't help because the travel department is not their department.

We talked to the travel department and they can't help because we booked the flights through their online services. The online line travel department can't help because they don't guarantee other airline changes. There is no guarantee for your ticket and no one to talk to when you book online with Amextravel.com. After hours on the phone with different departments, they don't want to refund change or make sense of this blaming other airline policies. Why spend the money on Platinum card spending annual fees, collecting points when you don't receive basic services? SAVE YOUR MONEY and buy tickets directly with the airlines.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

Flight was canceled out from under me by carrier, not my choice. Cancellation email from American Express travel show one refund amount and then a different much smaller refund amount. 45 minute phone call with LONG repeated hold times results in no answers. Rep claimed would call back, nothing. Still no resolution and no credit applied to my original payment method.

SECOND flight needed to be canceled due to above flight cancellation. Rep took 45 minutes and repeated LONG holds to process a credit, not a refund. Tried to book a third flight using credit from above, forced to call and talk to a rep (UGH), not possible online. Yet another 45 minute phone call, with a TERRIBLE completely incompetent rep with repeated LONG hold times. Gave me conflicting price information. Confirmation email showed NO pricing information. NONE, ZERO. Finally had to call back in again and spend 1.5 HOURS trying to get them to cancel and refund the booking made an hour earlier (remember, 24 hour window to cancel!!).

Dealing with these people was definitely the lowlight of my travel experience (30-40 trips per year!). American Express Travel is pure hell if the SLIGHTEST thing goes wrong, outside of your control. After using them for all my bookings I am now moving to a different choice of booking and NOT using AmEx Travel unless ABSOLUTELY necessary for some reason. AVOID AmEx Travel like the plague!

American Express Travel Company Information