2.03/5
Based on 46 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

341 Discount Tire Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

We have been using the Discount Tire located in Mesquite TX for over 15 years. This store has the best service and friendliness I ever encountered. I showed up at the store an hour after closing with a bubble on my tire and they never hesitated on taking me in. I Love this store. The staff went above and beyond their duties and did it with a smile. I will never go anywhere else. Thank you Discount Tire Mesquite TX on Galloway.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Went in to buy 4 new tires... First I was told it would be done at 2:00 PM... Car was still where I parked it at 1:55. Then 15 mins later some guy told me I had overtightened the lug nuts... About 2:30 the car is ready except surprise they broke the lug nut and did not tell me about it till they did and give me a voucher to have it fixed and another shop. OK so we go to other shop to have the lug nut repaired and I was told it was too busy and come back money around noonish... So I did. Now it noon turns into 1:30 to 1:45. This is wasting two days work for something that should have not took 1 hour at most. If they would have told me they were going to break the nut getting it off the rim I would have told them no and came back another day that was better for me. After all this I will never ever buy another tire from Discount Tire.

Get expert buying tips about Tires delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I purchased 4 new tires on February 5, 2018... a mere 5 months ago. My tread is now at the legal for safety with only 23,909 miles on the tire! I went to the same dealer location that put the tires on to receive terms of the certificate or warranty They did not want to honor either warranty for replacement without me needing to pay an additional 400.00. I spoke with Joey from the Livingston, Texas location. I am wanting to return my tires since obviously this is either a defective tire or one of below average quality. This will not stop here and I would appreciate a fair resolution without additional hassle.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I will never use Discount Tire again and I recommend nobody does. I bought brand new tires from them. Got a hole in one of them. Went to get the hole fixed. Waited 2 hours. After leaving got home. Holes not fixed. I called corporate. They told me to go back and get the hole fix. I go back. Manager comes out. Accuses me of grinding my tires for the warranty. I didn't think the tires are still under warranty. He said they should have just gave me a new tire anyways.

I don't know why they put me through all that hassle. I swore at that time I would not use Discount again. This was approximately 2 years ago. I had one of the tires I purchased from them get a bulge in it so I had my wife go to take care of it under warranty. They try to talk my wife into buying two brand new tires. Said my spare is bad and then yesterday my son went to go get a slow leak fixed. Went to Discount. They try to tell him, "You needed three brand new tires," I agree one of the tires was getting bald but the other two are in fine shape. I will not ever go to Discount. I will not send any of my family members. Horrible company and dishonest.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Issue: My back rear rims were ruined by Discount Tire. Background and story: We have been a customer for many years. We have purchased tires in the past for a total of 4 vehicles, including 2 sets of high dollar rims within the past 12 years. We have spent thousands of dollars if you add up the total costs. We were loyal customers to Discount Tire due to their excellent service and competitive pricing. Our local store in Alcoa, TN is all we use and always urge friends and family to use them.

I sent my car into Discount Tire on a Saturday to repair nails in both left and right rear of my tires. We arrived at 4:30pm to get them repaired (unfortunately with my work schedule, this is the only time and day available for me and have been accommodated with this schedule in the past). Knowing the store closed in 30 minutes, I was reassured they would have it done before they left for the day. I decided to walk across the street to have dinner and advised the associate there was no rush and he could leave the spare key in the car and would pick my car up when my dinner was over. When I picked up my car at approximately 6pm, we noticed several dents, scratches and black chipping all around both rims on both the back tires that were repaired. Since they were already closed and also closed on Sunday, we couldn't address the issue until Monday morning.

My husband brought the vehicle back for the associate to look at before going to work on Monday. The associate kept suggesting that the wheels had been curbed. Despite the fact my husband has been a ASE certified mechanic for almost 20 years, including a mechanic for the US Army, he knows what it looks like when a rim or rims has hit a curb. The tires would show damage as well if this was the case. Also, even if I did hit a curb on both sides of the tires, the tires protrude out too far to touch the rim. Both wheels have identical damage and scoring which would be impossible to do at all, let alone in a day. And there is no damage to the tires.

We asked the associate to replace the rims since they are now damaged and dented and he insisted us against filing a claim and offered us to have it buffed and repainted instead. When we refused and insisted on replacing the rims of the same type, he warned us that the claims department liked to get attorneys involved. He also told me this could take several weeks to settle.

Fact: I have rounded edged rims and it is obvious that when the technician removed the tire from the rim, he did not use the proper equipment for a rounded edge rim. This resulted in damage to my two back rims. We have taken pictures of the damaged rims when we got home on Saturday as well as pictures of the undamaged and unmarked tires. I contacted the corporate office in Arizona to get quicker response and they told us to email them a quote for two replacement rims. We didn't hear a word for 3 weeks and every time we tried to call or email, the claims person was out or unavailable.

Finally, today after numerous calls and emails, we got a response and they claim they will only reimburse us for one rim and claim it was because it was our fault that we curbed them. What my theory is or just one theory, they didn't realize the cost to replace the rims and blame me for it. What I don't understand is, if they are going to blame me for the damage, why offer to pay for only one rim.

Well once again, here's my theory: Like I stated earlier, they didn't realize the cost of stock rims on a 12 year old BMW. Now, we got to figure out how to come up with the other $397.00 for the other rim. I am not looking for any type of extra monetary amounts. I just want Discount Tire to admit and replace the two rims they damaged. I take pride in all I have and to some it may seem meniscal but, I do not have very many nice things in my life but what I do have, I take pride in and take care of. I will never use Discount Tire again nor will I recommend it to anyone else.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discount Tire?

Original review: July 10, 2018

I have never dealt with a company so ridiculous! First we order rims online, only to be told they are no longer available. We order different ones. No one calls us back. They finally get the second order but they're not the right ones, and again, no one called. I had to keep calling and sitting on hold for extensive periods of time. We, finally got our rims, after a month of this bs and we are supposed to be getting a rebate. Of course, that hasn't come either, though their page shows it was mailed out on 6-30, today is 7-10. I will NEVER do business with this place again and I would NEVER recommend anyone else does!

Original review: June 27, 2018

One word to describe my experience at three different Discount Tire stores; Incompetent. I've been through enough with these morons so I'll spare the reader of this review and spare myself from once again writing the pathetic details. Long story short, I do not believe this company should be allowed to conduct the business of handling such an important aspect of an automobile. Those doing the work are all high school age and I truly believe most are stoned. If they're not stoned, I'm leaving the country before these idiots enter adulthood.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Purchased a set last year for Hyundai Elantra. So far so good. Wears well in slick streets. Sometimes I notice a strange feeling in steering but not sure of cause.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I was told they fix your tire for free. After my tire was removed they said the tire couldn’t be replaced and gave me a price for a new tire. I told them I wasn’t able to purchase a tire presently. The guy said, "I cannot put the same tire back on." I said, "Why not?" He said, "Because I just can’t. The tire is peeling and eaten up." I said, "Ok. I will get it fixed but not today."

He insisted he couldn’t put it back on, he then said it was unsafe and wouldn’t put it back on. I said, "What am supposed to do? I don’t have the money for a tire and it’s my ex husband. You didn’t tell me if you couldn’t fix it you wouldn’t put it back." I said, "Well I don’t have the money and I had a tire before I came." He then put a used tires on my car that was a different size and said that all he had. They lure you in with offering to fix your tire for free, then tell you they can’t put your tire back on which forces you to purchase a new tire... This is a scam! I conversed with this guy for 19 mins before he put the small tire on with the rationale of a spare would be smaller as well. This is sad. I will never patronize Discount Tire again.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Went in to get a set of new tires. When they were taking my tires off they bent one off the rims. They made me aware of the bent rim but would do nothing about it, or in the corporate world just dance around and say I hit a hole and they didn’t do it so it would hurt their bottom line. Now I’m out the money for the rim. If anyone wants to start a class action lawsuit on them, I still got the rim and pictures of the rim and machine they did it on. So if they bent your rim or rims maybe we can get them to pay for the damages.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Had tire issue and was able to get rolling again... Thanks for your great and timely service!

Original review: June 4, 2018

I was on a road trip from Houston to Minnesota and had a flat tire. When I arrived at the Discount Tire store located on 5280 Central Ave NE Columbia Heights, MN 55421, the assistant manager, **, was very helpful and nice with his service. We needed to have our tire replaced immediately since we were in a hurry and he offered to change the tire himself for us without needing us to wait. 10/10 recommend to go to this store!

Original review: May 24, 2018

I purchased a set of tires for approx 700.00. I told Discount Tire to order Nokian Hankook. They order some cheap off brand in which the word Russia was misspelled. I assume these were second hand tires. I also purchased a warranty to cover any problems with the tires. Not only did they sell me cheap tires and charged original price, they also stated I had to pay two separate prices because I bought tires at two different times. The man who waited on me told me not to pay until the other tires come in. Really! Wow, know how to sock it to a customer. I see be conveniently does not work there anymore. Wonder why? The guys there all look at me like I'm crazy. There was a manager who came out and some with me because I was so upset about being ripped off!

He made up a story to try and calm me down. Haaa I had to laugh, I guess he thought I was an idiot! Or something. The other tire place I took my car to said he did not know where they got the tires and they were no good from the start. My tires last less than 6 months and ironically the warranty did not cover for what they referred to as "road haz". Hum. That must be taught in training. How to make up ** to make the customer pay. I think, Discount Tire should be shut down. I am going to write the Attorney General and list it on BBB. I hope, the ratings fall and some questioned why everyone is saying the same thing and nothing is being done about it. Sounds like a common occurrence with all Discount Tire stores. Very "P" off!!!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I was on a trip across MN when I had a tread blow off a 2 year old Discount Tire. I put the spare doughnut on and limped to the Discount Tire in St. Cloud. I explained these were Discount Tires but that didn't seem to matter whatsoever. I told the guy who checked me in to just put on a new tire on my rim and I will switch the spare and the wheel with the new tire because I was on a trip and had nowhere to go. 5 HOURS!!! Later they got to putting a new tire on a wheel that was off the car. It took me 5 minutes to switch the spare out and I was then able to continue my journey...I had to sit in the parking lot for 5 hours for this guy to do 10 minutes of work. BAD Management...

Original review: May 17, 2018

Pleasant to do business with. Bought a set of 70,000 miles tires, at about 26,000 thousand of use had them rotated at 8000 mile intervals, last rotation they stated need new set of tires, with just 26,000 miles on them. They did not offer to Warranty them. Just wanted to sell me a new set. Will not buy another tire from them again.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I was having my truck serviced at Tempe Toyota and they found a nail in one of my tires and they plugged it. I do not use plugs so I asked them where the closest tire place was and they told me there is a tire store in Chandler, Discount Tire and I went and purchased a new tire. I have used DT for approx. 25 years because of the warranty and have replaced all of my tires on the 7 trucks that I have owned.

We recently moved to the Show Low area in October and had a flat tire which we took to the DT in Show Low. My wife picked it up and I saw that there was a plug. Now I'm stuck with a fairly new tire with a plug. Originally I went to DT because of how they repaired the tires. This tire is under warranty and should have been replaced not plugged, which I consider very dangerous. I will sever my ties with DT and purchase new tires from BIG O. Big O is one of the worst tire places in America and I'm forced to do business with them because that is all there is in this town.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Hello, I recently purchased tires for my 2005 F-150 at one of your Fort Collins, CO stores. After driving back home to Alamosa, CO I noticed my mileage went from almost 17 mpg to 12 mpg, which I wrote off to high winds. When the mileage problem persisted, I went to my mechanic who noticed I had new tires that were the wrong size for my truck.

I contacted the Colorado/Wyoming regional office and expressed my dissatisfaction and was contacted shortly after by my salesman Robert from the Fort Collins store. Robert (**) helped me to find a store near Alamosa and to get the correct sized tires sent to the Pueblo, CO store. No hemming and hawing about why I wanted to change, even after I explained I had put 1,850 miles on that set of tires. Just, “Let’s get this fixed and you happy.” Christopher (**) at the Pueblo store was very helpful in making an appointment for me, made sure that I was serviced on time (since I drove 125 miles to get there) and had me out heading home within an hour.

I got 12.5 mpg on the way to get my tires changed and 16.3 mpg on the return trip. I want to thank all involved and your company for living up to their promise of: “If ever you’re not satisfied with one of our tires, please feel free to bring it back.” Your company and employees have certainly made that true and I will be back after telling my family and friends where to buy tires. Thank you.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I bought a set of Pirelli tires $900.00 supposedly an upgrade from BF Goodrich according to the Discount salesman. 22k miles later they blamed me for the tires wearing out. Expected me to buy more pro-rated. What a ripoff. The tires were supposedly 45k tires. I will never buy another tire from Discount again! I wish I could pick 0 stars.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Brought the car in to fix a simple flat tire. The threads are still good. Discount Tire refused to fix the flat tire saying the tire was too old and wanted to me to buy a new tire... Sorry, no more Discount Tire.

Original review: April 27, 2018

First of all I would like to start with me saying I have been a long time loyal customer for over 20 years... I purchase some tires about 6 months ago and have a tire that wore out prematurely... I was told by a Discount manager that my vehicle was the problem probably a wheel alignment problem... when I purchase my tires 6 months ago they failed to mention to me that this might cause my tires to failed prematurely. Anyway I had to purchase a new tire. No discounts. Nothing. No help. Basically told me they It was my fault. Well Discount Tire you have lost me as a customer. 20 years of purchasing tires and this is what I get. Really disappointed.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I work on cars and always send my friends when they ask me where to replace their tires to Discount tires. Lately, I’ve been very disappointed. I haven’t received the warranty as promised, and my friends that had service with them have been screwed up. After a 4 tire replacement, it’s stated that 45k is the warranty of the tires. I have been given a coupon From Discount Tires for alignment, and alignment has been done right after installing the new tires. Now after less than 3k, the front tires are worn out. Of course the representative at the shop did not approve the warranty stating that is a alignment issue (even though alignment was done from the advice from D.T. shop and coupon was given since all 4 tires were replaced.). Tires are worn from in and out almost equally. Now instead a warranty, I’ve been offered an expensive deal.

Another story: I’ve sent a friend to DT to have her tire plugged from a tiny nail, Because D.T. advertise free plug on a nail hole. (Be aware) Her tires were like new Michelin, D.T. ended up charging her and replacing 4 new tires, stating that the hole was too big. (Even though it did hold enough air while driven to the shop). Even worst, All 4 tires had to be replaced because of the 4 wheel drive. In 4 wheel drive, all the tires have to be equally worn otherwise the transmission would be damaged.

2 years later, one of the 4 tires blow out on the freeway. Luckily my friend survived and went to the shop. Of course Discount Tires replaced ONE tire, not all 4 as they’ve stated it will ruin the transmission on a 4 wheel drive vehicle if not equal. Now one tire does not match the other 3. Not even a word about 4 wheel drive that can be damaged if one of the tire is not matching the others. Discount tire simply has their Discount name but is a cheap company screwing up people and trying to get away the cheapest they can by selling their bad unsafe products. I would never recommend them again.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have been going to Discount Tire or it used to be American Tire for years like 8 yrs. Just was in there yesterday. Because the wrong center cap was ordered. No apologizes. Nothing. Just, "We will call you when it comes in." The day I got the tires put on I was told that as soon as the center cap came in I wouldn't have to wait again to have it put on. Since I had to wait almost 2 hrs to get the tires on in the first place. Well center cap came in and went in there to have it taken care of. I was at the counter explained why I was there and they handed me the center cap and sent me on my way. Are you kidding me? WHAT! I tried to tell him again and just got ignored. Customer service has gone way downhill. I went there 4 times now just for new tires and center caps. I'm never going there again. Not wasting my valuable time and my hard earned money on a business that doesn't give me the respect I deserve.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I bought set of four - 50k new tires because Discount Tire store manager said while his tires are TWICE as expensive as my current set - that got me only 20k miles - his 50k would get me twice or more mileage. Well, I went in yesterday for warranty as my dealership said the tires were worn-out and would not pass inspection. The DT manager said he would not warrant due to us not bringing the car in for rotation. I said BS and that I had the receipts where my dealership rotated tires at my "prepaid annual maintenance" and I would get those or he could simply put the vehicle on the rack and observe for himself even wear on all tires and that they had been rotated regularly as well as initial alignment of all four wheels as required by DT!

He agreed with the rotation and called the place where I had the initial 4-wheel alignment. BUT said that he would warrant the tires EXCEPT he only warranted such that I had to pay 75% of the new tires price when I only received 20% (10k miles) of the 50k Warranty! PURE FRAUD & I am seeking others to file Class Action Suit against DT. I paid TWICE THE COST for tires that got HALF the mileage and then was cheated on the warranty!

Anyone else similarly situated please reply to ** and we will sue their ** on a class action filing!!! Also, they intentionally I believe refuse to place the actual vehicle miles on odometer at time of purchase knowing most consumers will lack the required proof at time of collection of warranty. I asked about no mileage notation on my original receipt for these tires and the clerk said DT tracks that internally. Well, yes they do and it is a FRAUDULENTLY entered mileage in my case and I bet others. I would love to speak with a former employee of Discount Tire as I suspect the most important issue for Warranty Claims, i.e., the actual mileage at time of install, is intentionally left off of receipts for purchase of said tires! This is NOT an accident!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

It does not matter if you need a new set of tires, a tire rotation or a flat repair... It does not matter to which Discount Tire location you go, it always seems to be "You will have to wait between 1.5 hours and 1 hour 45 minutes". I assume that their employees are advised to give this information in order not to say "It might take 2 hours". Actually, this has always been my experience: Usually they start to work on my car after 1 hour and 40 minutes to 1 hour 50 minutes. At the end I lose about 2 - 2.5 hours of my day. For someone who makes $30,- an hour it adds about $60,- to the tire bill. If your time is valuable, go somewhere else and do something more useful rather than sitting in a waiting area without wifi.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I have been going to this Discount Tire location for years because it's just a few blocks from my house here in San Antonio... I bought a set of BFG tires for my 99 truck... I don't drive the truck that much so in 3 1/2 years the tires got 10,000 miles on them... I paid extra for the lifetime balance and rotation so I brought it in for its first B&R. The rep there told me they are almost 6 years old and needed replacing. He pointed out that the tires were dated 2012, I showed him that I purchased them in 2014 so I lost 2 years because of that, he offered to discount the new set.

I refused since to me they are 3 1/2 years old with only 10,000 miles and they look fine. Anyway he finally gave in and they did the B&R, they did it fairly quick and did a good job and they were very courteous just a bit too much pressure to sell me a new set when I really didn't need it. A lot of people have similar complaints, if Discount doesn't like to honor their "tire certificates" then why do business that way?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I have been a customer of Discount Tire for over 5 years now and purchased my new set of tires from them with tire rotations included in the price. When I went to complete my rotation the following situation occurred (see my Discount Tire customer complaint below). After I sent this message to the companies customer service department I never got a response. I will now buy my tires from another company.

"I wanted to pass along a story that took place last month before my holiday travels. I have been a Discount Tire customer for sometime now and have purchased the tires currently on my Honda 2008 Element. As part of my purchase agreement your company allows for free tire rotations, balances, and checks. After over a year since I purchased my tires I stopped by the Discount store in Bellevue Washington as asked to rotate my tires. I was told to make an appointment for better/quicker service. I then called the next day and the representative scheduled me for a 2 PM on Thursday 12/21/2017. On that day I brought my car in and checked in with the counter agent. I waited about an hour and watched as the work was completed on a nearby service bay.

Upon completion of the work the service agent gave me the keys to my car and I left for another appointment. Later that evening after dinner I came out to the car and its front left tire was flat. It was dark and I had to move the car about 20 yards to a place to change the tire. I put on the spare and waited until the next day to discuss the situation with your shop. Take note that I have had these tires for over two years with very light driving and I never got a flat tire. Further, I was not near a construction site and only drove on the area roads for just a few miles to my next stop so it's highly unlikely that I damaged the tire in such a short time.

So the next day I called the shop and they said to bring the car in for inspection. I did and upon talking to the service agent was told that no record of my appointment was available. Further, there was no record of the work completed on my car the day before. This was alarming to me since ALL work should be recorded. After some time discussing the issue with the service agent they brought the car into a service bay and fixed the flat then drove the car to the back of the shop. I waited a while then inquired about the status of the fix. The manager took me to the back lot and gave me the keys and a receipt for the work and said it was ok now. I asked what the problem was and he said a nail or screw punctured the tire. I asked to see this and was told that there was not enough time.

This behavior seems very suspicious to me and I wonder if a tire valve was broken or damaged and the tire slowly went flat after I left the shop on Thursday. Further, having no record of my appointment or the work completed is not acceptable as well as the lack of professionalism of your staff. If you want more details such as my purchase and agreement, my car data, and records of my mobile phone calls to your shop detailing these event I can provide them. I must admit I was rather upset about this situation and it only added to my stress as I was trying to get tasks completed before I left for the holidays. I would appreciate a discussion with someone from your organization about this event to try to improve your business. As for me I will not buy any of my tires from your company and will pass news of this service to my personal network. This is bad business!!"

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

We really like doing business with this company. They are friendly and want to do business with you. Service is speedy especially if you set up an appointment with them. It's a little out of our way to get there, but most definitely worth the drive. Also, great prices!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I have been a customer for a long time. My complaint is simply. I ordered a rim, one rim. It's going on 3 week and still haven't received my rim. It's been one excuse after another. I finally had it. I would gladly pay double somewhere else. Wonder if Bruce Halle rolling in his grave right now or maybe he should have put all those millions into Quality Control instead of proposition 205 legalizing recreational use of **.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I purchased 4 BF Goodrich LT285/75R17E1 KM2 tires for my F250 from Discount Tire approx 4 yrs ago. I take excellent care of my vehicles and monitor tire pressures very carefully. These are load range E and should be very capable of the weight of the truck and camper. These tires have less than 10K miles. With a cabover camper, we went on a camping trip. At about 25 miles into the trip, I felt a very significant vibration. It turned out to be the left rear tire was beginning to have a tread separation. I limped it back to another Discount Tire.

The sales person there said this is a defective tire and he told me they know these tires are defective. I replaced only the back two with AT Cooper Discoverer tires as most of the vehicle weight is on the rear axle. They would only warranty the one failing tire even though the sales person said they know these are defective tires. I had to pay for a new right rear. I returned to Discount Tire to request they warranty replace the front two tires and they will not saying BF Goodrich has not issued a recall for these tires. I am going to continue to elevate this issue with Discount Tire.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I bought two Michelin Premier tires to replace 2 tires that were worn on my vehicle. I was supposed to get lifetime free rotation for the life of these tires and the previously purchased tires. However, every time I make an appointment to have my tires rotated the sales person tells me that they can't in good conscience allow my tires to be rotated because it would be too dangerous to drive my car and I could lose control and suffer a fatal accident. They tell me that my newer tires must permanently stay on the back of my car because this will give me greater control when I am driving. Then they try to sell me two new tires. Most recently I was quoted a price of $517 for two new tires, which is $200 more than the same tires at Walmart.

Today I had my oil changed by a very trustworthy auto mechanic and he told me that because my front tires have not been rotated they were very badly worn on the exterior edges and needed to be rotated to the back of the car. He also said that these tires were not ready to be replaced and he said that in his opinion the better tires should be on the front of my particular car if I wanted the ultimate in safety and control. When I bought the tires from Discount Tire they told me that my warranty would be notified if I failed to have my tires rotated, and yet they have been refusing to rotate my tires. What a waste of time this business has been. I am very sorry I ever dealt with them in the first place.

Discount Tire Company Information

www.discounttire.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business