Call toll free
4.58/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc. provides reverse mortgages for homeowners age 62 and older as a retirement planning solution and access to achieve short-term financial goals.

Our reverse mortgage solutions are useful in:

- Supplementing retirement income

- Paying off an existing mortgage

- Covering for medical expenses

- And helping with any other major costs!

Contact us today for a free rate comparison!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Liberty Home Equity Solutions offers two types of reverse mortgages to eligible homeowners: HECM loans and HECM for Purchase loans. Unlike most home equity loan providers, Liberty is a direct lender and available in 49 states.

PROS

• No monthly mortgage payments
  • Free online resources for partners
  • Liberty Iron Clad Guarantee

CONS

• Rigid eligibility requirements

Top Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc. Reviews

06/14/2019

The entire process took no more than six weeks... They were awesome people to work with. Everybody was really on-the-ball. They were very right on target with everything and there was no hesitation about anything. It was just an absolute joy to work with them…

06/19/2019

Everything was good with the application process. However it took a while… But the service was really good. Everybody was on time and they kept me informed. It was also pretty easy to get a hold of them because when I either emailed or called, they called me back.

About Liberty Home Equity Solutions

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc. is a member of the National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association and one of the biggest and most experienced home equity conversion mortgage (HECM) providers in the United States offering conforming and jumbo loan products. Liberty’s jumbo reverse mortgages, also known as propriety reverse mortgages, are available for amounts higher than the typical HECM limit.

Dedicated and licensed loan professionals help deliver fast, efficient funding in 49 states. Liberty Home Equity reverse mortgage options have flexible terms and competitive pricing, plus the company doesn’t charge upfront fees — they bundle processing and loan fees into the loan. Qualified borrowers are not required to make monthly mortgage payments, but they must pay property taxes and homeowners insurance, as well as maintain their home.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions products

Liberty Home Equity Solutions only provides HECM loans and HECM for Purchase loans. Both types are reverse mortgage loans insured with the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) and are available to people 62 years or older.

• HECM loan: An HECM loan from Liberty can be used to pay off existing debts and supplement retirement savings to enhance retirement lifestyle. Like HECM loans from other providers, applicants meet basic requirements, like HUD financial eligibility criteria.
  • HECM for Purchase loan: Liberty offers HECM for Purchase loans for single-family homes, FHA-approved condominiums and manufactured home that meet FHA guidelines. Note that the seller must finish all major home repairs before the loan can close.

How does Liberty Home Equity Solutions work?

The Liberty HECM or HECM for Purchase loan application processes may take 30 to 45 days. Liberty Home Equity Solutions loan amounts are based on the appraised value of the home and are subject to the FHA and Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) limits.

Step 1. Complete a Liberty Home Equity Solutions application
The official application allows Liberty to begin the application process. The company does not charge application fees, and the application can be canceled anytime before closing.
Step 2. Attend mandatory reverse mortgage counseling
If you’re applying for any HECM loans, you’re required to attend a reverse mortgage counseling session with a HUD-approved counseling agency. As proof you have completed the counseling session, you’ll need to submit a signed HECM Counseling Certificate to Liberty Home Equity Solutions.
Step 3. Get an appraisal
Your property will likely be re-appraised by an independent HUD-approved appraiser to determine the fair value of your property, even if you have a recent valuation of your property. Appraisal fees may be aggregated with the total mortgage amount.
Step 4. Wait for underwriting
Liberty Home Equity underwriters ensure all conditions are met and additional and missing items completed before establishing a final closing date. After meeting all the underwriting requirements, you and Liberty will then confirm the closing date.
Step 5. Sign Liberty Home Equity closing documents
On closing day, a Liberty Home Equity Solutions loan professional will request you sign the final closing documents in the presence of an attorney or notary. After signing the documents, you’ll be allowed a three-day rescission period within which you may cancel your application without penalty. If you don’t cancel, Liberty will issue a check or wire the applicable funds to your bank account. Keep in mind that the right to the three-day rescission period does not apply to HECM for Purchase loans.

Liberty reverse mortgage FAQ

Who qualifies for a Liberty Home Equity reverse mortgage?
Borrowers who are at least 62 years old and hold title to their home may be qualified for a Liberty Home Equity reverse mortgage. Applicants must also have sufficient equity in their home and meet financial eligibility requirements established by HUD.
What is the Liberty Iron Clad Guarantee?
The Liberty Iron Clad Guarantee is a commitment by Liberty to deliver exceptional customer service and value. Liberty promises fair and competitive pricing to all borrowers at all times, and if they can’t match a competitor’s offer, they will issue you a $100 Visa gift card. With the Liberty Iron Clad Guarantee, Liberty Home Equity Solutions commits to close your loan within 60 days. If they cannot fulfill this commitment, they will issue a $500 credit to your closing costs. This offer applies to borrowers who submit requirements on time. It is, however, not applicable for HECM for Purchase products, loan applications that do not meet FHA eligibility requirements, loan applications that are canceled before closing, HECM counseling costs and closing costs above $500.
How long does it take to close a Liberty reverse mortgage?
Liberty’s average processing time from start to finish is roughly 30 days but may take as long as 45 days. Processing time will depend on the circumstances of the loan, the speed of submission and requirements by the borrower.
What is the Liberty Reverse mortgage wholesale program?
With the expanding senior market, Liberty partners with wholesale lenders and brokers — from high-volume producers to one-person third-party originators. To help grow their businesses, Liberty provides them access to their products, marketing support and training at no cost.
How does Liberty calculate total loan amounts?
Liberty considers the type of reverse mortgage, age of the youngest borrower, current interest rates, the appraised value of your home, and FHA maximum lending limit or sale price when calculating total loan amounts. Liberty partners can access Liberty’s online Reverse Calculator, where the lowest rate and fee are automatically included.

Do we recommend Liberty Home Equity Solutions?

Liberty Home Equity Solutions could be a smart choice for qualified seniors who want to get rid of recurring mortgages or build cash buffers for unexpected expenses through a conforming or jumbo HECM or HECM for Purchase loan. A reverse mortgage is a big decision, but Liberty Home Equity Solutions has taken strides to extend exceptional service and value to its clients — for example, get $100 Visa Card Gift if they can’t match a competitor or a $500 credit to your closing costs through the Liberty Iron Clad Guarantee.

1197 Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc. Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: April 16, 2019

We were faced with a huge debt lien and we didn’t have any way of getting out of it. We were given a do-or-die day. I immediately got on the computer to do research on reverse mortgages and Liberty was the first company to appear. My husband used to work with BoA. He's been in mortgage banking for 30 years so he knew the questions to ask. We called Liberty right away and when we talked to a representative, we were very much impressed with her. Our rep was very helpful and patient. She didn't pressure us. She told us it was ultimately our decision. She just gave us the good and bad with it. What worked for us was that I own my home outright so we were able to get the amount we needed to pay the taxes off.

The worst part would've been somebody trying to pressure us into the program but we found out they don’t really get a commission. They get credit for the loan, but not for the amount of the loan. It wasn’t like, "Hurry, hurry. You only have one more day…" Their rep was very upfront about how long it would take and what was gonna happen each time that they called. We had one situation where I had paid my property tax late by two weeks or so. I explained that situation to her and she said that they wanted to just show the underwriter that we acknowledge it and it won't happen again.

The process was just like getting an equity loan like the paperwork and the notary. Nothing came as a surprise. I had my husband helping out and we thought the process was very easy to go through. Liberty was very accommodating. The application and underwriting process took about 30 days from the time we made initial contact. Our rep got on it right away. We started the process, they did a credit check and they did a title search. We were very satisfied with the whole process although there was a little bit of a delay when we were supposed to have our money. We were up against the wall to get this thing funded so we could get the IRS paid for.

But our rep completely explained what was going on and what they were faced with. They had a flood of signing they had to do and ours was definitely gonna be funded by the next day which was probably about 12 hours later than we thought. She understood the whole tamale and everything. It was all well. She called us immediately when the loan funded and when it would record. She was very hands-on with us and was always very pleasant to talk to.

Our loan rep was Elizabeth and she always answered her phone. It never went into voicemail. We communicated via email too but rarely. She would get back to us and say she would get her assistant get back to me really quickly. It just went really smoothly and the process was made kinda easy. We had the underwriter come to the house to fill out the initial paperwork. And when it was closing, we met at our attorney's office and that underwriter was very patient because the attorney wanted to read pretty much all the documents. We wanted him to go over the trust and make sure how it affects the trust and all that. But it was a very pleasant experience. We were happy that we were able to get our situation taken care of. If anybody ever asks me, I would definitely recommend Liberty.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc. response

Marilyn, Thank you for taking the time to share your Liberty experience with others. We’re happy that you enjoyed working with us!

Get expert buying tips about Reverse Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I made an offer on a house. To get the people to accept the offer, I told them that I would be giving them cash and that they wouldn't have to worry about financing. However, I didn't really wanna give them $600,000 in cash because I bought the furniture too. It was also a lot of cash. So I looked into things and thought of reverse mortgage. If I’m never gonna move, and I don’t care about how much I leave my children because they're rich anyway, reverse mortgage made sense - take the money and go build another house with it or invest it and let that money work for me instead of just sitting in the house. I’ve got $250,000 cash available to me, I still have the house, and I never need to make a payment. It was a win-win.

I then got a reverse mortgage through Liberty Home Equity Solutions. I talked to one of their reps and I told him that I was trying to buy some investment property to build a house on the island. I asked him how long it was gonna take and he told me that it would take 30 days. I believed him even though there was no way that they could handle stuff in 30. Everybody else I've talked to told me it as a 60-day process. That salesman was okay for the most part. He was available and responded but he would always say he didn't know something and that he's gonna find what it was or that he'll tell another person to call me. He also didn’t become too involved after he initially sold me the bill of goods. He pretty much passed the buck off to everybody else. But I guess that's what they do.

I haven't done a reverse mortgage before and I wasn't totally thrilled with the application experience I underwent with Liberty. It seemed like there were too many fingers in the pie and nobody really knew what one finger was doing with the other finger. They would call me repeatedly and ask me for something and I would tell them that I have already sent what they were looking for. But then I would then be told that the rep I was talking to didn't get it and that they would search for it. I would then be told that a different rep has gotten it a month ago.

Then, every time I thought the process was over, Liberty would call me for something else which would take three weeks to get. I wasn’t living in North Carolina yet, and I had to run and go get a North Carolina driver’s license. Then once, they told me was done but then all of a sudden they need my tax returns for this and for that and those were gonna take a week or two. They could have asked for that a month ago. Time was sensitive for me and it was a full-time job to get the loan. It was especially frustrating when I was trying to work and do other things. It never would have gotten handled if I didn’t post-buy. Everything was not easy but I got it done. Liberty could have organized their process better and gave me all the information about what I needed upfront.

Also, once, I needed money to put down on some property and they told me that the check was already in the mail. However, it was not. They checked it out but they told that they didn't know why that happened. It was a little disorganized and the process took longer than I was told. But other than those, Liberty was good on everything else. They were cordial and I always knew that they would return my email, text, or call. They were responsive. They sent somebody out here for me to sign papers and the guy was here when they said he would be here. I would refer people to Liberty Home Equity Solutions.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc. response

Thank you, Brian! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

We wanted to be able to continue to take care of the house and be able to stay in it. We also had to consider a lot of things, including our age, and we decided to do a reverse mortgage. My husband happened to be Googling information then Liberty popped up right away and asked him a question. He answered then they called him. Most of their loan process was pretty straightforward. The people themselves, Joanne and her associates, were really helpful. Joanne was our loan officer and she was very nice, personable, and professional. And if we had a question, it didn't take very long for them to respond. But a couple of people that called and told us they were gonna call us a certain day didn't. Still, things worked out. Joanne was really quick and when we didn't hear from somebody that I was supposed to, she found the number and name for me for us to be able to contact the right person.

I also pointed out to one of Joanne's associates that in the list of numbers of the counseling agencies that they recommended that you have to go through the program with them, a number of the numbers were not even in service. And some people wanted us to come drive 30 miles to make an appointment to come in a week later while some people didn't serve our area. It took me several hours to contact somebody that was on hand and willing to help. It was a long and arduous process to find somebody within reason monetarily but was available to do the service. Also, Joanne recommended around $100 and we paid the company that we got almost double that. But they were very professional and they've been in business a long time. They knew what they were doing and they could start helping us right away.

Another thing is, when the appraiser came to the home, she wanted to get under the house. My husband had a lock on the access to that but he couldn't find the key right away at the time. As the appraiser was here and not wanting to come back, he had to unscrew the hinges to get the access to get under the house and look around. But it was good because she said it was the cleanest crawlspace she'd ever seen.

Then, the water heater had to be strapped to the wall securely in case of earthquakes or such and we needed a carbon monoxide. That was no big deal, but it took my husband all one afternoon and part of the evening to get that hot water heater strapped in. If we had known about that ahead of time, that could have been done prior to the appraiser coming. So it would have been nice if there was list of a few requirements that needed to take place in order for her to get her paperwork done in the time that was required, so she didn't have to come back out. But I was able to text her pictures and that worked out okay. Aside from that, we didn't appreciate the first notary that had been out. But we loved the second notary. She was so good and really wonderful. So, we were glad that she came out for the second finding. Liberty had her because they wanted to speed things up, so they got her out instead of the initial one.

Other than that, the loan was done professionally and expediently, and the rate and terms of the mortgage that we got are fair for the economy at the moment. We may find ourselves at sometime just paying it all off, but we'll see. Since we did the reverse mortgage with Liberty, things have developed in a positive way for us and we're thinking this was a really good move for both of us right now.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc. response

Thank you, Kathleen! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

My brother and I talked about having a reverse mortgage a long time ago. We're still taking care of my mother, and then he had an accident and he passed away. And then, I had surgery just three days after that, and I was having a hard time trying to find people to take care of my mother. I finally got the state of Arizona, a hospice for older people so now I'm getting help. But her whole social security check was born for prescriptions and everything else, which we don't have to worry about now because she's not on all of medication and the hospice can take care of it. I was caught in a bind because I'm on social security, I just have enough to live on and I have to pay this mortgage every month.

I called AAG because my brother was gonna go through it. And then, their rep said she was gonna get back to me. However, three months went by and I didn't hear from her. Then I called back and I kept getting a recording because she wasn't in her office or whatever. They never got back to me. So then, I got online, called another company and told me my house was worth $125,000, which I know it wasn't. I was surprised in what it came out. I got online, and when I tried to find out more about reverse mortgages, I got a phone call and it was Ron from Liberty Home Equity and he said, "Well, I can explain it to you." He was very good.

I told him I had a solar panel and my house is not worth a $125,000. I was surprised it was worth a $107,000. I told him it was around $75,000 to $80,000, which I was surprised because the prices in Tucson have gone up a lot. He went through all of it and they wanted me to call right away and go through counselling and get an appraiser out. They wanted me to put the money out and pay for all these stuff. And I said, "Yeah, you're saying I qualified, but what happens if something happens and I don't? I'm out all this money for nothing."

And then, I got a call and that's when he started explaining. He said, "Well, before you spend any money, I could check things out for you." He was very helpful and very good, because then I explained about the solar panels. I said "I don't know them. They're on lease.” He said, "Well, you might have a problem with that." But he told me I would get the right thing by not spending money for counselling and for an appraisal until I find out for sure if I was even gonna qualify or not. He said, "Yeah, they can tell you you're gonna qualify, then you can go through all of this and spend this money out and say, 'Oh. By the way, we have this problem, so you don't qualify.' Now, you're throwing away $400-$500 for nothing." He told me that they can get me through this process and they can take care of all of it. If I wanted to go through the process, then they could get me set up for it.

Everybody that I spoke with throughout the process was great. They explained everything and it was wonderful. The process didn't take as long. The rep told me it was gonna take a little while because of the legalities I had here because my brother had died. I already got the house switched over to my name before I even applied for a reverse mortgage, but there was still a mortgage on the house and it was in my brother’s name. However, there was no way I can switch that. It was non-transferable.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc. response

We appreciate your feedback, Dolan! We aim to provide the best service for our customers!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I went online and tried to get some information on reverse mortgages and learn all about them. I happened to pull up Liberty at random and I was looking at it. Apparently, they know when someone’s looking at their website and they called me, which I thought was strange. The rep explained everything about the reverse mortgage and it sounded interesting. It all seemed okay, so I told him I would let him know my decision in a month. Then he called back a month later and I decided I was gonna go ahead and do it. It was quite a process, however. They had sent the materials out and it was a regular study program. I had to select somebody to take an oral exam with and then the Liberty rep had to certify that I was not an idiot. People that are my age and maybe even older, get confused and they don’t understand what they’re getting into.

Once I got the certification, Liberty sent me a bunch of papers to sign and the house was appraised. Then they came up with a number of which about 50% went to pay the existing mortgage that was left. The process took three months, although I didn’t want it to go through too quickly. But they wanted it to go through quicker because they thought the interest rates were gonna go up and then there would be less money for me. I forgot how many days it was that I could still reject their service if I wanted to, but I was convinced that that was the thing to do, and I still am.

The only thing that I didn’t like about the whole process was the limit on how much money I can take out of my equity account upfront. We were not hard up for money though. That was not the reason why I did it. Our problem was we had a lot of money in tax-exempt accounts. And if we took out more than $15,000 out of any or all of the accounts in a year’s time, then we would have to pay an exorbitant amount of income tax on it. What I didn’t know and what seemed to be a deep, dark secret was that we are only taxed on half of our Social Security. So once we get over the magic number where we have to pay tax, then we get taxed on 100% of our Social Security. The number, I think, is 13,500 and I get up over that. So it was not just a matter of paying an additional 7%. It was like 25%, so I jumped up by two tax brackets.

I talked to Liberty about the rate and terms and I asked them what would happen if I decided to pay the mortgage off. The rep said that only 1% of the people ever pay it off and that they just let the house go at the end. But I had my daughter involved in the process, so she understood what we were doing. She could still sell the house or we could or my wife could. I don’t ever wanna leave this place but if I croak, my wife is gonna have to go through all this mess of trying to sell everything. In this way, with the reverse mortgage, we really don’t have to. She can walk out of the house and just leave it, and let the bank take it or whatever she feels like doing. Or if she wants to sell it, then she can, and it’ll be a 150,000 or 200,000 profit after she pays off Liberty. She’s gonna have to make those decisions when the time comes. But in a year from now, we will have a nice equity account to draw on to do all the things that we wanted to do.

I was really happy with Liberty and I still am. However, when we had to sign the final papers, there were some numbers that I was not expecting to see. The papers had to be all signed in front of the lady notary who came out with the papers, but she could not explain anything. She was just there to make sure that we were who we said we were and that we got all the papers signed. I called Liberty three times during the process and they explained exactly what I was signing. The reps were wonderful and they still are.

We then got a letter in the mail saying that they had issued the checks and that a company was titling or putting names on the house. I did not recognize the name of the title company, so I called Liberty right away, and they said that was their parent company, the one that owns Liberty. The process that we went through with Liberty wasn't easy. But I can understand why it wouldn’t be because if somebody is not mentally sharp, then they probably should not be doing this. One has to completely understand that you’re getting the money now and if you spend it now, there’s gonna be nothing later.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc. response

Thank you, Donald! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Home Equity Solutions?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

There was a time when I needed some money and I didn't want to do a regular mortgage. My septic field had collapsed and I needed a new one. I liked the numbers better with Liberty Home as opposed to AAG and decided to go with them. The application process was pretty easy and my loan officer, Richard, was the best. He got things done so easily compared to other people I was working with. The rep under him, Ashley, wasn't too swift so I would talk to Richard and he takes care of what I needed.

Everything was going fine until we had the appraisal and they wanted me to have the septic field fixed before the appraisal would be accepted. We also had a survey but then a piece of the property was sold and the survey was no good anymore and I had to get a new one. So, instead of taking only a month like Richard promised me, it took three months. Still, everything else has been okay. Currently, Richard still is working with me on and off when I can’t get ahold of anybody else. Now, I’m having a little problem getting the monthly installments coming to me but then Richard has been great with that.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I went through a long process of obtaining my mortgage from Liberty. It took an hour or two. However, that was because we took our time to get everything ready and see what we had to do. During that process, their loan officer was really nice and helpful. We've had a good experience with them so far.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

Applying with Liberty Home Equity Solutions was very easy. I worked with Ericka and she called me back when she was supposed to. She did all the work. I also worked with Steve and he was very responsive. I went with the mortgage that had a personal line of credit. While the rate could be better, things have been fine thus far.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Applying to Liberty Home was very easy. I interacted very well with my rep Kurt. He was very knowledgeable and easy to talk to. Liberty sent me a book about my reverse mortgage as well as my retirement options. Also, the rate and terms I got were very good. Things have been going very well with Liberty.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I research everything and Liberty was the first one that I came to and I liked what they had to say. The application process was fine. They sent me paperwork, they explained everything to me, I took the course that I had to take and everything was done in a timely manner. It didn’t take long because I own my house outright, so there was no dealing with a mortgage company. The rep gave me his phone number, and he told me to call him if I thought of any more questions. I did, and he answered them.

The only thing I got a grief about Liberty is that within two weeks of me signing the final papers, I found out that it was sold to another mortgage company. It affected me because it happened so fast. I did not take any money in closing, and I don’t know whether I’m going to have to take any money or not. I wanted it as emergency money, and they sent me the paperwork so I could register and tell where I wanted this money to go. The next day I found out they sent it to another mortgage company. I’m now waiting on paperwork from them to be able to have that same ability to be able to get a hold of some of the money if I need to. Overall working with Liberty saved a problem that I was concerned about. I have money, but I wanted to do some renovations on my home and have backup money if it was necessary, and that’s what they did for me.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc. Company Information