Learn More
  2. Reverse Mortgages
Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.55/5

Liberty Reverse Mortgage provides services to homeowners age 62 and older as a retirement planning solution and access to achieve short-term financial goals.

Our reverse mortgage solutions are useful in:

- Supplementing retirement income

- Paying off an existing mortgage

- Covering for medical expenses

- And helping with any other major costs!

Contact us today for a free rate comparison!

View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Liberty Reverse Mortgage offers two types of reverse mortgages to eligible homeowners: HECM loans and HECM for Purchase loans. Unlike most home equity loan providers, Liberty is a direct lender and available in 49 states.

PROS

• No monthly mortgage payments
  • Free online resources for partners
  • Liberty Iron Clad Guarantee

CONS

• Rigid eligibility requirements

Top Liberty Reverse Mortgage Reviews

The entire process took no more than six weeks... They were awesome people to work with. Everybody was really on-the-ball. They were very right on target with everything and there was no hesitation about anything. It was just an absolute joy to work with them…

Everything was good with the application process. However it took a while… But the service was really good. Everybody was on time and they kept me informed. It was also pretty easy to get a hold of them because when I either emailed or called, they called me back.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage(866) 268-5369 Learn More

About Liberty Reverse Mortgage

Liberty Reverse Mortgage is a member of the National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association and one of the biggest and most experienced home equity conversion mortgage (HECM) providers in the United States offering conforming and jumbo loan products. Liberty’s jumbo reverse mortgages, also known as propriety reverse mortgages, are available for amounts higher than the typical HECM limit.

Dedicated and licensed loan professionals help deliver fast, efficient funding in 49 states. Liberty Reverse Mortgage’s options have flexible terms and competitive pricing, plus the company doesn’t charge upfront fees — they bundle processing and loan fees into the loan. Qualified borrowers are not required to make monthly mortgage payments, but they must pay property taxes and homeowners insurance, as well as maintain their home.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage products

Liberty Reverse Mortgage only provides HECM loans and HECM for Purchase loans. Both types are reverse mortgage loans insured with the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) and are available to people 62 years or older.

• HECM loan: An HECM loan from Liberty can be used to pay off existing debts and supplement retirement savings to enhance retirement lifestyle. Like HECM loans from other providers, applicants meet basic requirements, like HUD financial eligibility criteria.
  • HECM for Purchase loan: Liberty offers HECM for Purchase loans for single-family homes, FHA-approved condominiums and manufactured home that meet FHA guidelines. Note that the seller must finish all major home repairs before the loan can close.

How does Liberty Reverse Mortgage work?

The Liberty HECM or HECM for Purchase loan application processes may take 30 to 45 days. Liberty Reverse Mortgage loan amounts are based on the appraised value of the home and are subject to the FHA and Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) limits.

Step 1. Complete a Liberty Reverse Mortgage application
The official application allows Liberty to begin the application process. The company does not charge application fees, and the application can be canceled anytime before closing.
Step 2. Attend mandatory reverse mortgage counseling
If you’re applying for any HECM loans, you’re required to attend a reverse mortgage counseling session with a HUD-approved counseling agency. As proof you have completed the counseling session, you’ll need to submit a signed HECM Counseling Certificate to Liberty Reverse Mortgage.
Step 3. Get an appraisal
Your property will likely be re-appraised by an independent HUD-approved appraiser to determine the fair value of your property, even if you have a recent valuation of your property. Appraisal fees may be aggregated with the total mortgage amount.
Step 4. Wait for underwriting
Liberty Reverse Mortgage underwriters ensure all conditions are met and additional and missing items completed before establishing a final closing date. After meeting all the underwriting requirements, you and Liberty will then confirm the closing date.
Step 5. Sign Liberty Reverse Mortgage closing documents
On closing day, a Liberty Reverse Mortgage loan professional will request you sign the final closing documents in the presence of an attorney or notary. After signing the documents, you’ll be allowed a three-day rescission period within which you may cancel your application without penalty. If you don’t cancel, Liberty will issue a check or wire the applicable funds to your bank account. Keep in mind that the right to the three-day rescission period does not apply to HECM for Purchase loans.

Liberty reverse mortgage FAQ

Who qualifies for a reverse mortgage with Liberty?
Borrowers who are at least 62 years old and hold title to their home may be qualified for a reverse mortgage with Liberty. Applicants must also have sufficient equity in their home and meet financial eligibility requirements established by HUD.
What is the Liberty Iron Clad Guarantee?
The Liberty Iron Clad Guarantee is a commitment by Liberty to deliver exceptional customer service and value. Liberty promises fair and competitive pricing to all borrowers at all times, and if they can’t match a competitor’s offer, they will issue you a $100 Visa gift card. With the Liberty Iron Clad Guarantee, Liberty Reverse Mortgage commits to close your loan within 60 days. If they cannot fulfill this commitment, they will issue a $500 credit to your closing costs. This offer applies to borrowers who submit requirements on time. It is, however, not applicable for HECM for Purchase products, loan applications that do not meet FHA eligibility requirements, loan applications that are canceled before closing, HECM counseling costs and closing costs above $500.
How long does it take to close a Liberty reverse mortgage?
Liberty’s average processing time from start to finish is roughly 30 days but may take as long as 45 days. Processing time will depend on the circumstances of the loan, the speed of submission and requirements by the borrower.
What is the Liberty Reverse mortgage wholesale program?
With the expanding senior market, Liberty partners with wholesale lenders and brokers — from high-volume producers to one-person third-party originators. To help grow their businesses, Liberty provides them access to their products, marketing support and training at no cost.
How does Liberty calculate total loan amounts?
Liberty considers the type of reverse mortgage, age of the youngest borrower, current interest rates, the appraised value of your home, and FHA maximum lending limit or sale price when calculating total loan amounts. Liberty partners can access Liberty’s online Reverse Calculator, where the lowest rate and fee are automatically included.

Do we recommend Liberty Reverse Mortgage?

Liberty Reverse Mortgage could be a smart choice for qualified seniors who want to get rid of recurring mortgages or build cash buffers for unexpected expenses through a conforming or jumbo HECM or HECM for Purchase loan. A reverse mortgage is a big decision, but Liberty Reverse Mortgage has taken strides to extend exceptional service and value to its clients — for example, get $100 Visa Card Gift if they can’t match a competitor or a $500 credit to your closing costs through the Liberty Iron Clad Guarantee.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

My husband and I had talked about doing a reverse mortgage for some time. Our house was paid off and we were struggling. My husband is in his late 70s and really wants to retire. We did some dumping through our life, got ourselves into some debt. So we got ourselves into trouble and we needed a way out of that little bind that we were in and might looking at him semi-retiring here pretty soon. Getting a reverse mortgage was a road for us to take. I went online and looked and went to a couple of websites. Liberty Home Equity Solutions was the only one that I filled out with my phone number and age and they called right back. A man by the name of Mike called and was very personable and was on the up and up.

We knew when going in that there was gonna be a lot of paperwork. I had initially talked to two people from Liberty, and then other people started to come into the picture. Then somebody else came into the picture. Then, the little lady that was going to be the notary came into the picture and then she left and I got a phone call from another man saying he was so and so from such and such. I did not like so many fingers in the pie because a red flag went up when a young man called me. He called and had a lot of information about us and I never heard from him. I didn't know who he was nor who the company was and I got a little freaked out.

People that are our age, all we have is our house and we don't wanna make a mistake when doing something like this. And that ran through our minds. I did place the call to a lady by the name of Yvette who was the person who was working with us along with Mike. Mike got out of the picture when she stepped in. In the meantime, I had called my husband and he ran the company at work and knew it was under the umbrella of Liberty. He said that I didn't have to worry. Then Yvette called and said, "No, you don't need to worry."

HUD requires that any outstanding money that's owed has to be paid. Liberty wanted to pay them before they'd release the funds. Well, we had already paid the house taxes in full, so we didn't have to worry about that. But Liberty wanted to pay the homeowners association and they wanted me to give them a figure so they could do the payout, which I wasn't comfortable with. Where we live, the association is persnickety and if you don't pay, they come after you. I didn't want anything to get crossed up with our homeowners' association 'cause we've never been late on the payment ever. So I told their rep that we had not received our booklets for 2020 and I couldn't give them a figure. The rep said that they can get figures from last year and use them, but I said that it wouldn't be accurate and there would be other money owed.

Liberty held out $491 to pay for the association fees, which wouldn't have been enough but I didn't like that interference. I didn't want anybody else paying my bills. I was very uncomfortable with that. Liberty dragged their feet. It took a week to get ahold of somebody from Liberty and I left messages as to why I was calling. When I finally got ahold of somebody to talk to, it was like pulling teeth.

If somebody leaves you a message on your recorder, you call them back. Whether you have an answer for them or not, you call them back so they know that the message was received. That fell through the loops here with Liberty. I didn't get callbacks. I needed some answers and I wasn't getting them. They need to do some work on their communication skills. But once you got them on the phone, there were no problems talking to them

Finally, I just told my husband that I'd be paying the association fees as soon as the booklets come. I called our homeowners association to find out had they been paid but no, they hadn't. A day or two after I called the homeowners and found out that they hadn't been paid, I received all three of my booklets in the mail. I decided to call my homeowners that next day to find out had any money been given to them and they said nobody has paid any of them. I told them that I didn't want anybody else to pay it and I would bee sending them a check. I paid off three association fees and it was a done deal. We did get a refund from Liberty.

On the whole, Liberty did a good job. It's slews and slews of paperwork and trying to keep track of what you have to have. So anybody going into a reverse mortgage should be forewarned that this a drawn-out process. There's lots of paperwork, lots of stuff you have to get, bank statements and homeowners association statements and all of those kinds of things they need to have if you're going to do this. So if you're not into that, then this isn't for you.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage response

Thank you, Barbara! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

Get expert buying tips about Reverse Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

My son initiated everything for me. He looked for a good reverse mortgage company and Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.came highly recommended from what he could find on the internet. My house has been paid for and I have resisted doing reverse mortgage because I would lose ownership of my house. But I retired from work to take care of my elderly parents so they wouldn’t have to go into a nursing home. And so, I lived on social security while I took care of them in their own home, and it turned into a struggle. Going back to work at the age of 73 really didn't appeal to me that much. I worked since I was 15 years old, and so I didn't wanna go out and look for a job. I lived paycheck to paycheck because I hadn't had a really good quality of life. It was out the window while I was taking care of my family, and I don’t regret doing that. But I’m not gonna do that again. So, that reverse mortgage was just to supplement my income.

The application process was very easy and very simple. Michael, my loan officer, was excellent at explaining to me anything that I needed to know. I dealt with another gentleman, Richard, but Michael was the one that really took care of business for me. They were both great, but I dealt with Michael for the most part and even post-loan. The whole process from the time I started to the time I closed on it took three months. When I switched from Michael to Richard, there might’ve been an issue as far as the information transfer. What one understood to be the case, the other one didn't. So, we did a last-minute change on the paperwork the day of the closing, but that didn't stop the closing. Because it was so close to the end of the year and because they had my real estate taxes down as a lien for it, they were paying them. I talked to the Tulsa County and I didn’t know that they were paid on time because they closed my loan on the 26th.

So, that was a concern of mine because when I first paid my house off, it never occurred to me until a year later. And my brother said something about paying my parents’ property taxes. That was when I realized that I didn't have the house payment anymore, but I should’ve been squaring money away for property taxes. So, I was about 40 days late on it that year, paying and the mortgage company wanted to know why. And because I was dealing with my father’s death and I was clueless that I even owed anything, so that was the reason we worked that out.

Now that I’ve signed this and done this, would it show up as late payment again and I’m gonna look responsible for that? So, I did make several calls about that. Michael is the one that called me back about it and he was also going to check on it a week ago because I did call whoever was handling that. They said, “Ma’am, we don’t even have your loan yet.” And because they told me they were paying them, it’s like I got a raise. And so, I didn't have the money then on the 26th to go ahead and pay them.

That was just a little hassle, but they were bending over backwards to help me and I appreciated that very much. The closing time, it just fell that way. I don’t know that I would totally put that on Liberty because it was so close to the due date. Working with Liberty impacted my life very well. It has put me back into a position to not live paycheck to paycheck and that is priceless for me. Going through the little class that you needed to take for reverse mortgage, that was very easy. They made the application and closing very easy. Everyone came to me. So, if there were delays for the closing that pushed it so close to the end of the year, I would take more responsibility for the date than Liberty because they were really trying to get it taken care of as quickly as they could. I’m sure they wanted to close things out by the end of the year too. So, they made the process extremely easy easy for me.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage response
    Great feedback, Charlotte! We genuinely appreciate it and we’re glad to hear that you’re

happy with your experience working with Liberty.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I wanted to make money available. Also, we live in Arizona in a suburb of Phoenix and it gets hot in the summer. We're looking to establish a summer place up in Northwest Washington. I shopped around some and talked to some friends that had approached the same subject, and I picked Liberty. I have some money management experience but it was a little more difficult than I thought. It was the underwriting influence or involvement with it that made it difficult. I have a son who is an assistant director with USAA in the underwriting department. He is responsible for establishing underwriting standards and all of the IT work that goes along with that.

I can joke with some personal knowledge about what underwriting is and how they behave. An example is they asked for identification and they wanted to have both my wife and my driver's license along with the social security cards. I'm kind of a geeky guy, so I don't have any trouble. I can scan then attach them to the email. All that stuff is very easy for me to do. But an underwriting feedback on that request was that the signatures on my driver's license and social security card did not match. When I explained why, they went, "Oops. Uh."

I'm 75 years old. The driver's license signature was done a year or more or so ago so that we could upgrade it to the standards for airline travel with the little gold star up in the corner. It has a brand-new signature on it. On the other hand, I signed my social security card when I was 12 years old. Whose signature is gonna match between 12 and 74?

There were a couple of other things that came from underwriting that just delayed things. I would submit whatever was requested and the underwriting looks at it, how many ever days it takes for them to get to it and I understand. Everybody's got a workload and you can't respond to everything instantly. And it takes time to get back to the person who is doing the coordination who then gets back to me. Sometimes a week can go by and nothing is being accomplished until that gets answered.

Also, my wife and I have a revocable family trust. That's how we manage our estate. The trust was brand new and was created by qualified attorneys in a legal office in Arizona that specializes in that. But the underwriters objected that the trust that was submitted was not notarized, so it was not acceptable. These underwriters are in some place in Liberty's organization, but they are not in Arizona. Arizona does not require that a revocable family trust be notarized. There is no legal requirement for it here and that is where the property is. That's where we live and where all of our history is. The underwriting people were ignorant of the applicable law and it delayed the processing until we got that straightened out. I straightened that out by revoking it. Now, we don't have an issue with the trust. As soon as everything got done, I put it back in place. It was just a couple of other minor things but it took months to get this done.

I understand that a reverse mortgage has an entirely different set of rules on how it can be accomplished because of the law that allows it to start and to happen at all. But I did investment real estate for years and I have experience with mortgages. Also, there's my son's involvement with that kind of thing on a national basis. The positive parts with Liberty, though, were the two people who coordinated this out of Liberty's office in a suburb of Sacramento. They were fabulous in regard to their personality. Once we needed to talk, either exchange emails or talk on the phone, the service and their response were very good. But, with the underwriting thing, their hands were tied.

Another thing is, I'm really in touch with everything that I do. The requirements for the counseling was fabulous. I couldn't endorse that part of the process more, only because I have friends who aren't in touch with reality and I have seen things where, "Well, mom and dad, they got a few hundred thousand dollars in equity in the house and we're the kids and let's see if we can't do something to get the money." And the parents don't understand that the kids are gonna rip them off. That's absolutely the reason for the counseling. I couldn't support that aspect of it before. That happened very quickly and the person who did that was truly a professional and I understand that they go through training and they have to behave and perform at certain really tough standards.

I also haven't yet received all of the documentation that I thought I should, particularly, something that I'm gonna call an account statement and a contact method. I understand the rules that there are only a certain portion of the reverse mortgage that are available the first year. We did make a draw on that because we had some needs for it. But the balance of it is due in the second year and that remains in the credit line. It stays there and earns somewhat of a return like a savings account. I feel like I don't have all the documentation that's official that explains all of that.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage response

Thank you, Jeffery! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

I was on Facebook and I was in a mild panic when I was realizing that if I didn’t do something really quick, I was gonna be getting to be very good friends with my car very shortly. I couldn’t take and pack everything I own in my car with that. I just got done sending a message to my stepdaughter and I was scrolling down Facebook. I saw this blurb on there that I had seen several times before about how, especially seniors, were able to take and get this and this, all because of doing a reverse mortgage and essentially getting rid of their mortgage payment.

I clicked on the “Click here to learn more information” button and I read about it. I said I was gonna go ahead. I don’t have anything to lose essentially. It had one of these short questionnaires to fill out. I filled it out and clicked "send". I did this about 8 o’clock in the morning, Mountain Time. Within about 10, 15 seconds, I got a call from Randy from Liberty Equity out in Sacramento, California. I kinda chuckled when I answered the phone and I don’t even know why I answered it because usually when I get these type of phone calls, I just look at it and if it’s not a number I recognize, I essentially, in my mind, tell them to go get bent and just not even answer it.

But I did answer it and we talked. I told Randy what my situation was and that my credit was lousy. In 2006, 2007 my late wife and I had lost our house because we got caught up in that mortgage fiasco. I told him that I didn't trust mortgage companies at all any further than I can throw them upwind in a hurricane. Also, I inherited a house when my dad passed away in 2018. I've been living there since 2008. I checked with that mortgage company that held the mortgage about a reverse mortgage or a refinance. They said that because my name was not on the loan, I would not be able to do that kind of stuff unless I actually apply for the loan and so on. That was my understanding. I said that was not a problem and I went on my merry way with that.

But I didn’t have anything to lose and Randy asked for a little bit more information. I gave him the information that he was asking about and he told me that he was gonna talk to his underwriters and to give him a couple of hours. He said it was not gonna hurt so I said okay. Within two hours, he called me back and told me that the underwriters had said to go ahead. After picking myself up off the floor, I said, “Okay,” and that was what started it all. He called me back several times just to make sure I had gotten things that he said that I needed to do and the paperwork that he had. He was very supportive all the way.

Liberty couldn't have done anything better with the fact that everything was handled, they were very polite, they were very professional, they were very supportive, and they weren’t condemning of the fact that I had lost my house. In fact, they said that I wasn’t the only one. It was in 2019 when I was doing this and it was in 2006, 2007 that my wife and I lost the house. That shouldn’t really affect anything too much.

Basically, they made sure that I had what I needed. They gave me all the stepping blocks and stuff like that. They were right there the entire time. It wasn’t one of these things, “Don’t call me. I’ll call you.” Both Randy and Peggy were calling me all the time to make sure that I knew where things stood and that kind of stuff. They didn’t leave me hanging.

People should not be embarrassed about it if they find themselves in a situation like I did. They should not hesitate in taking and seeking out a reverse mortgage. If for nothing else, they can help and get rid of a doggone mortgage payment that was bothering them. My mom and my dad went through a reverse mortgage years ago. My dad kinda chuckled when he said they were taking and spending his kids’ inheritance. But they have lived in a house for something like 35, 40 years and they were getting up there at that age.

My dad didn’t want something to happen to him and have mom be left with a mortgage payment right off the bat. He said he’s not gonna totally erase it for mom. But if something were to happen to him, it would give everybody enough time to get mom settled in someplace then put the house up for sale, so that it wouldn’t have to be something where we’re scrambling around right away to get it taken care of.

That’s when mom and the rest of us found out that when dad took out and refinanced the house a number of years ago, he did it without having the extra cost of having death insurance, to where when he died, that the house would be totally paid off. He said he couldn’t afford to take and have that extra cost on the monthly mortgage with that. It wasn’t totally something alien to me because having seen my dad go through it.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage response

Thank you, Larry! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

I saw an article in the Google News about reverse mortgages, and Liberty was one of the top-rated companies. I went online, and there was this little questionnaire thing to see if you qualified. So, I filled the numbers in, and we didn’t qualify because their numbers didn’t go high enough. But immediately, when I exited out, the phone rang, and it was somebody there from Liberty. And they said, “Why don’t we just go through the process? There’s nothing involved. Go ahead and try the application. You’re not obligated.” So, I said, “What the heck?” And he came back within an hour, and he said, “You do qualify. And you know, if you wanna go forward, we can do this with no money involved.” It was very, very easy, fast and non-risk.

The application and underwriting process took 120 days and it went as good as it could. There was a lot of questions. We had a very large value property, so the bigger the property, the more careful they are. They look under every stone and they verify. They’re very careful making sure that they look at every question. They wanna make sure that you’re not gonna rent it, and that you aren’t gonna sell it, and they took your credit. They wanna make sure that you’re not gonna try to turn it into a business proposition. Some people try to get reverse loan, and then they’ll rent their house out, and go live somewhere else, and use it as like money to make a business. Liberty wanna make sure you don’t do that. And they’re right. This is to help you stay in your home.

We thought the final interest rates was kinda high though. The rates dropped all summer and we got locked in earlier. We got 6.75, and the average mortgage right now is in the 3s, so we’re doubled. We were quoted, when we applied, that the rate would be 6.75, but that was four months before we closed. I figured during that time, as they came down, that they would lower the rate to us, but they didn’t. They stuck with the initial quote. And so, we’re a little disappointed in that. But in the end, it did close nicely, and we got a nice chunk of our equity, like they promised. I’ve heard some people, when they write reviews about these companies, they get promised one lump sum, and then in the end, it’s a lot smaller.

And Liberty was very efficient. They’re not the first company I worked with. I worked with AAG last year trying to do the same thing, and this was a completely different experience. As I progressed through the application process, I always dealt directly with the department I was dealing with. Some people complain that they’re always dealing with a new person, but the information you’re getting isn’t getting transmitted from one person to another. You’re dealing with the person who has the issue or the question. You’re not dealing with this one agent that receives information from some other department and has to relay it to you. There wasn’t a lot of relaying going.

As we went through each department, I had a different loan officer. That was good because I dealt directly with applications, directly with the people involved with appraisal, directly with underwriting. In each department, I had a contact person. And when I reached out to them with a phone call and email, I got an answer very quickly. Also, they kept me up-to-date on progress, which was nice. I feel very comfortable working with Liberty. They seemed very competent in what they were doing.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage response

Pat, We’re delighted to read your feedback about Liberty! Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Reverse Mortgage?

Original review: March 26, 2020

The package that Liberty put together for me was a little bit more appealing and the lady that I worked with was very knowledgeable and made me feel comfortable. She was very professional, friendly and she had a smiley attitude. She was just a very nice person to work with and she seemed to know what she was talking about. We worked on the application and underwriting for two or three months. It dragged out quite a bit, but it was not Liberty’s fault particularly. The biggest issue I had was the appraisals and FHA approval. I had silly things that I had to do to get the appraisal to be accepted and it took forever. The rates I received were okay.

Original review: March 24, 2020

The representative I spoke with, Joanna, was fantastic. We just hit it off. She did not push me or call me every day like two or three of the other companies did. She was very upfront with me. She was also knowledgeable, but she answered all my questions no matter how stupid they were. She made it such a good experience. I was able to tell her why I needed to do this mortgage and she completely understood. She shared the experiences of some of the other people that she had worked with and it was great. I would recommend her any time.

I’m so glad I did a reverse mortgage. If someone had sat down and designed it, they could not have done it any better than Liberty did. It was absolutely designed for me. It might not work for a lot of people, but it did for me. It has taken away some stress, but it’s also opened up some windows for me to travel and to do a lot of things for a lot of people that I want to do while I’m here. I don’t have family, so I don’t have anyone to leave my money to. I have recommended Liberty to friends and a couple that will be going over to them. It’s something I’m passionate about. I feel really good about it.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage response

Judi, We’re delighted to read your feedback about Liberty! Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience.

Original review: March 23, 2020

I found Liberty on the internet when I was doing research on reverse mortgage. I wounded up clicking, got some information and talked to one of the reps. I checked into this over a year before I did it. Then about a year later, my wife and I were talking about it again and I said it'd be a good idea to get this set up. So, I moved back to Liberty 'cause I had one of their brochures that they sent me. Then this time, we followed through it. But the first time, they had different programs and they wanted $22,000 upfront, and I just couldn't swallow that pill. This time, they had a different program that was much lower entry cost, little higher interest rates but they made more sense for the way we were gonna use the reverse mortgage.

We told them specifically that we pay our own taxes and they said, "Yeah. No problem." Then when we were signing escrow papers, we found out that they billed us for $5,000 which they were gonna use to pay our tax payment. They said because the bill was gonna be due in the next four weeks, they paid it for us. So I thanked them 'cause I already prepared for $5,000 from my savings to pay it. That was not that big a deal though.

Also, it would be nice if they had a website like the banks so that I could go and check my account, make a withdrawal and do it on the computer. Right now, it's an archaic system where I gotta either call them and fill out paperwork and mail it in. So, we got the letter in the mail giving us the phone number and the form. And so, when it's time for us to make a transfer, we just have to think far enough ahead that it's gonna take 2 weeks to get it done. But that could be done a little better.

But as far as the relationship I had with the individuals I worked with, they were all very congenial and helpful. I had Ron and I ran him through the wringer. He had to print out different stuff for me and I ran some spreadsheets to make sure that I was doing these things the right way and that it was gonna produce the income I needed for the period of time that I wanted it. But he did a good job for the questions that I asked him.

When the stock market tanked, it was nice 'cause they're gonna grow our money from reverse mortgage instead of out of my stocks until they get back on their feet too. I hate selling things at a discount. It was good timing 'cause those things will come back and we'll make a decision down the road whether we make a payment on the reverse mortgage once we're in the black again or whether we just leave well enough alone. But, it's nice to have the added resource.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage response

Thank you, David! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

Original review: March 22, 2020

I was disappointed in the professionalism of the way Liberty did things although I know rules have changed. They tried to do the right thing for me but they took way too long. I was a customer and I was just refinancing. I had things I had to get done in Florida and we had to do it down there. They gave me the package in Florida and I left that one over there because I go back and forth. New York is my primary residence and I need it over here. I should have brought it with me. I thought they could get me a copy of it quickly but it has been over a week now that I’m waiting for this. It went on for 50% longer than it should've.

I went through every hoop that they asked for but I’m being blindsided. I can’t even refuse the contract because I don't have it. I‘m just not happy with it and I still don't know if I’m gonna even be happy with what the results are. The officer was good and supposedly, I’m supposed to be getting a good rate but I gotta see it in black and white. So, I’ll give them a call later and see what’s going on.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage response

Hi Mario, We appreciate the time you took to tell us about your experience. Someone from our customer service team will be contacting you directly.

Original review: March 21, 2020

I went online to find people who were providing the service that I was looking for. My niece chose one and told me about Liberty. I called them and although the application process was good and the rate was low, I didn’t like the end results. They took $52,000 of insurance and tax money out of the situation, which left me with $1,700 to do repairs on my house. Now, I need a roof.

The underwriting took a long time because the person who owned the house took forever to give it to me. We started in August and I finally got done in February 22. Liberty was diligently trying to get me to close because they kept extending the process from one month to the next month but it wasn’t my fault nor theirs. The rep was a nice person and he and his helpers helped me out. The only thing is, I didn’t get the money and I couldn’t say no to it because it was a foreclosure and I had to take care of it. I knew Liberty was gonna take some of the money but I didn’t know they were gonna take 22 years of it for insurance and taxes. It made me kinda miserable now because I need a roof. Also, the homeowner’s insurance was canceled because the roof needed to be replaced and I don’t have money to get it.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage response

Dear Robert, Thank you for reaching out to us via Consumer Affairs. We take feedback seriously; someone from our team will be contacting you directly. We appreciate the opportunity to improve our customer experience.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage Company Information