Consumer Reviews and Complaints

13%
  • 2 stars0
  • 1 stars2

libertyreversemortgage.com

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc. provides reverse mortgages for homeowners age 62 and older as a retirement planning solution and access to achieve short-term financial goals.

Our reverse mortgage solutions are useful in:
- Supplementing retirement income
- Paying off an existing mortgage
- Covering for medical expenses

- And helping with any other major costs!

Contact us today for a free rate comparison!

The Liberty Home Equity representative who came to our house was excellent and his service was outstanding. He brought his own mortgage closure which was seamless and excellent. Their sales process was more than smooth. It's better than getting a mortgage. Like all other people, we have our doubts, but once we got done talking with him, we were pretty well sold that this was a legitimate deal. And it’s good for us because we’re 69 and we don’t intend on owning a house. They’ve done a great job.

I decided a reverse mortgage would be good because my credit was not good. I had no job and I only had my social security, so refinancing was out. We had to move fast ‘cause I didn’t want to lose the house or get behind. The rep of Liberty was very good about it. He got everything done very quickly and we flipped it to a reverse mortgage in time that I didn’t have any problems. They provided me with a lot of counselling and they were very nice and were always available by phone.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Great feedback, Joyce! We genuinely appreciate it and we’re glad to hear that you’re happy with your experience working with Liberty.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

I have a daughter who is in real estate and she helped us decide to go with Liberty. The loan officer was not as knowledgeable as he should have been. I'm not unhappy that I did what I did, but I probably should've looked around more and had a better interest rate. I didn't think their overall organization was as good as you would expect.

Working with Liberty has been very good. The lady we worked with was very experienced. She would help us even on weekends.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Maria, Thank you for taking the time to share your Liberty experience with others. We’re happy that you enjoyed working with us!

Original review: July 22, 2016

Our daughter who helps us with our business was concerned about our future, so recommend Liberty to us. We went to talk to them and we were very pleased. Working with the loan officer was very pleasant. My husband, my daughter, and I were very well received, and we understood exactly what we were going to do. The guidance was very good! Plus, the owner of the company was a very agreeable and kind person - we really like and trust him. He was the one that was explaining to us what we were going to do, so he was very important in our decision. Liberty saw our situation and offered us what we needed and we got it, so we're very satisfied.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Home Equity Solutions?

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Thank you, James! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the service that you needed.

Original review: July 18, 2016

I needed money so I did a reverse mortgage with Liberty Home Equity Solutions. The people that helped me were very nice about it. They answered all the questions that I had and they were very good with discussing options with me.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Dean, We’re delighted to read your feedback about Liberty! Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience.

Original review: July 16, 2016

The rep from Liberty was the second person I sat down with and I was satisfied about understanding everything. We discussed different options and everything’s good. I have no problem with anything. I’d recommend Liberty to a friend.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Karen, Thank you for taking the time to share your Liberty experience with others. We’re happy that you enjoyed working with us!

Original review: July 12, 2016

A friend of mine recommended Liberty Home Equity Solutions and introduced me to Bob, one of their loan officers. He was great and on top of everything. He answered all my questions and was genuinely caring and very helpful. Liberty gave me a ton of information, and they were very thorough. It was a great experience. It went very well, and in fact, of all the loans and refinancing I've done, it was one of the best.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Great feedback, Terry! We genuinely appreciate it and we’re glad to hear that you’re happy with your experience working with Liberty.

Original review: July 3, 2016

I felt better and more comfortable doing a reverse mortgage. I did some searching and went with a company, and then compared them to Liberty. Liberty by far was the best. They worked with me a lot better than the other one. I trust Liberty. Their rep answered all my questions. I slept on it since I wanted to make the right move, and then, I got back with them. The rep was very patient. She stayed with me and reassured everything was going to be fine, which turned out that way. It's a simple process, but the other company I went through didn’t follow up and made comments that didn’t sound right. Liberty was true blue all the way. Their follow-up was within hours, they kept me informed all the way through it, and I'm very happy.

Everything went fine with Liberty. I went with them because John, the loan officer who handled my mortgage, was very close by when I was looking for reverse mortgage deals. He’s great. He and I hit it off pretty good. He's very personable and knowledgeable. He even had some personal experiences to share with me, too, and that was good.

I was pleased and pleasantly surprised at the ease of applying and receiving a reverse mortgage from Liberty Mutual. They covered all the bases and helped us work through the paperwork and the consultations. I really believe it went so smoothly because of the local agent that sat down with us each step of the way.

I wanted to eliminate some payments. I found 2 reverse mortgage providers on the internet and I didn't like the presentation of the other one, so I brought my business to Liberty. Everything was satisfactory.

Loan called in. Repairs approved early Aug. Told by repair dept waiting on HUD. Servicing dept told me waiting on repairs dept. Rebecca said she would rush this along and promised to call me back with an hour. Never called me back!!!

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

We appreciate your feedback, Robert! We aim to provide the best service for our customers!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

My experience with Liberty and my agent Steve ** was completely satisfactory. Steve was always proactive in his approach to the mechanics of this loan and my particular cash concerns. He was thoughtful and thorough. Cheers for Steve.

I went with a reverse mortgage because I wanted to take an early retirement. There was an equity bank that had a reverse mortgage but I didn’t go with them because there was a lot of money I had to pay out of pocket which I didn’t have at the time. Liberty was next on the list so I went with that. I didn’t want to spend the time going through a whole list of providers because I wanted to get things settled as I wanted to retire at 62. Their loan officer was a big help through the whole process.

The person I talked to was in California, but they had local people who came to my house then later they set up the appraisal and had someone call me. I liked that it was done locally because I could figure out how they were going to do all that stuff. Once there was a lady who was the notary that came here. We sat down, talked and I asked her how Liberty contacted her. She said that she does business with them and that made me feel a little bit better on doing something with someone so far away and also having local people involved. I would recommend Liberty.

To get rid of my monthly house payment, I went for a reverse mortgage. I called Liberty for information and they called me back. Their loan officer was very helpful and pretty cool. Liberty did what I wanted them to do.

The persons who handled the process of getting the reverse mortgage were nothing but very friendly and professional. All questions were answered to our satisfaction. Mr. Kurt ** and Miss Jennifer ** were very accommodating through the entire process. The phone calls and emails were very appreciated. They had our best interest at heart.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Helen, We’re delighted to read your feedback about Liberty! Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2016

I contacted Liberty through their Website. The process was the easiest and quickest mortgage loan experience I ever had. Liberty people are professional, pleasant, and great to work with. The entire process took only one month to complete.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Brenda, Thank you for taking the time to share your Liberty experience with others. We’re happy that you enjoyed working with us!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2016

Very professional and easy to work with. Always answered my questions and explained things so that I could understand. Responded to my email and calls very quickly. A great company to work with.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Great feedback, Caroline! We genuinely appreciate it and we’re glad to hear that you’re happy with your experience working with Liberty.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2016

I have only compliments for everyone associated with my loan. From the first contact through closing, everyone did everything they could to make sure I was satisfied and all my questions were promptly answered.

I went online and looked up various providers of the service and talked to three of them. I got different bids but Liberty won. The loan officer was very cooperative and aggressive in terms of trying to win a business. She would come back to me to make sure that I wasn't making a decision before she had an opportunity to respond or react to anything I may have seen or gotten from the other folks that I was working with. There were some complexities but everything went very well. Though I was surprised when I got a notification that my account has been moved to another company, I was warned upfront that could happen. Too bad I'm not with them anymore. The overall experience was good and I'd recommend them.

A lady from Liberty contacted me several months earlier about a reverse mortgage. I wasn't interested at that time, but we had such a nice conversation on the phone so when I was ready, I contacted her again. She was very reassuring during the couple of phone calls and few emails we had. She understood my situation and when I hesitated on something. She wasn't pushy in any way and she was very patient with me. She laid out the options beautifully to me and made sure I understood everything. I felt very comfortable with her.

I thought that getting a reverse mortgage would be the handiest over other products because I'd have some extra money. So I got one from Liberty and I went with them because their ratings were pretty good on the internet. The guidance that I got was very educational, there were things I didn’t realize that reverse mortgages incorporated.

I started with a different company but there were a few things that had to be straightened out and I felt like I was doing all the work while they just sat back and told me to get information or asked how soon I can get something done. If I was doing all the work, why was I paying them a commission? Then I tried Liberty and the first gentleman I got, Randall, worked with me very nicely and helped get things in place. However, I got some problems with my mortgage and hit a dead end with Bank of America. Then Randall just finally told me that maybe I should get out of the house. I got really sick and upset about this. I'm 70 years old and I'm trying to stay in the house and fix it up.

So after regrouping and knowing my situation wasn't going to change, I called again and asked that I not get Randall. I had established a lot of information with Liberty and they had all my information. I got another gentleman and he was a great guy. He was so helpful, patient and just kept telling me, “Don’t worry. We’ll get through this.” My senior citizen information and education certificate had expired in the middle of restarting again so we had to restart from square one and he never once got frustrated with me or the situation. The second time around was a lot better and calmer because a lot of the leg work was done. If they told me I had to get something done, I did it within 48 hours of the request. It was easier and the rep was a lot easier to work with. He seemed to have a better way of processing it. He also explained some things to me.

The only thing that I am pissed off about is the repair that they had me do. It wasted a lot of my money that I didn't have to waste. They knew I was clearing out the bathroom and because I kept getting cut off for the money, I had to keep putting off the contract and I lost one contractor because he couldn't wait any longer. So I had to find a second contractor. Liberty made me put a floor in the bathroom when they knew it was being torn out. But they said I could let it go if I could get the contractor. I had to go right up until the absolute deadline that I had to have a floor installed and I had to pay to have it installed. I didn't have the money for that.

Then they insisted that I paint the pressurized treated wood in my porch which was ridiculous. Every contractor I’ve talked to told me I don’t have to. Then they said I had to paint the cover. We painted the trim but they said that wasn't it. I had to get painters in because I could not reach up that high and bend my head back to paint a ceiling. I still flunked the inspection. I finally asked one lady in the repair department to tell me what they were talking about. Everything’s been painted and the only thing I didn’t paint was the roof shingle. She said, “Well, painting the inside roof should do it.” I flunked again so I asked for a picture of what they want done. I was sent a picture and it was the stupid post. The only side of the post that wasn't painted was where the screens were attached so I had to rip the screen down and paint that side of the post, and then I passed. I had to tear apart the whole damn porch.

Now, I have to use money that I am paying interest on to get my porch fixed again, and the interest is just mounting. What I am doing now is I have expendable income on my Social Security and I am buying as much of the product as I can afford. I’m using the loan for large items and the contractors. I'll take that income after everything is done and start applying it back so the loan doesn’t get out of hand.

The loan is serving its purpose but I wasn’t hoping to be this high in debt so quickly. After everything was satisfied, I’m $50,000 in debt. All I wanted was $30,000 as a whole deal. I was hoping to just be about $40,000 in debt, instead it’s a little bit more. I’m grateful for the opportunity and that I’m still in my home. This is possibly a good opportunity for some people but it’s not for everybody.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Kent, We’re delighted to read your feedback about Liberty! Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2016

We were living on Social Security and so we began to look at the various reverse mortgage companies, and Liberty Solutions really worked closely with us and explained things very well and got things going. We were pleased with the way they did things. At the same time, we had tried AIG and they were so pushy and their figures just weren't even comparable, compared to Liberty Solutions.

So we went with Liberty Solutions and didn't go any further. Liberty gave me the best experience I've had with a reverse mortgage company, by far. They really treated us right and that's the reason we decided to sign up with them, and were happy with their follow-up and what they do. We have recommended Liberty Solutions to other people. The loan officer at Liberty kept us advised of any changes whatsoever and when we ran into problems that we didn't know what to do, we called him and without exception, he either told us what was going on or he changed the situation so that things worked out well.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

David, Thank you for providing feedback about your experience working with Liberty! We appreciate the opportunity to improve our customer experience.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

I learned most of my options online before I talked to Liberty Home Equity. However, they screwed me on my appraisal.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Janice, Thank you for providing feedback about your experience working with Liberty! We appreciate the opportunity to improve our customer experience.

Original review: July 29, 2016

At the time, I felt that reverse mortgage was something that would be good. Liberty was the one that the guy who started the whole thing chose for me. The guidance I received from the loan officer was fine. But the only thing I'm not happy with is how much the interest is. It's just ridiculous. If I had known that the interest was going to be that high, and the accumulation of interest in four months would be over $6,000 which is a lot of money, I wouldn't have done it. I wish I had done a little more research into it because the interest is a lot and I don't recall anyone telling me that.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Chester, Thank you for sharing your feedback! We will use it to improve our services.

Original review: July 27, 2016

My experience with Liberty Home Equity has been okay so far. However, I wasn’t totally informed about the money that was held back. I didn’t know so much money would be taken out as a backup. At first, I was told when I was going over the paperwork that it was for paying taxes. But then I heard something else. Now I’m not sure what the real reason is. Other than that, there was no problem.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Sorry your experience was not exceptional, Liberty strives to provide excellent customer service while providing a quick and seamless loan process. Not all loans run as smooth as others and extenuating circumstances may cause delays, Liberty apologizes if your loan process lasted longer than anticipated or if you received anything short of stellar customer service.

Original review: July 26, 2016

I wanted a reverse mortgage and Liberty had good rates, but their service was always very slow. And I wasn't happy with the amount my house appraised for. When I got a suitable appraisal, they ignored me without any explanation, so I'm seriously thinking of refinancing again.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

We appreciate your feedback, Bonnie! We aim to provide the best service for our customers!

Original review: July 13, 2016

Reverse mortgage was part of my retirement plan and Liberty was referred by my son because he works with them. Their rep was excellent, nice, timely and very efficient. There were so many misconceptions about reverse mortgages so Liberty required the counselling services that the Federal government requires and that went very well. They guided me through that excellently. I would advise other people to do the same and I think people need to be educated more about it.

Expert Review

Michele LernerMortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.    More about Michele→

Formerly known as Genworth Financial Home Equity Access, Inc., Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc. has been helping senior citizens gain financial independence and security through Home Equity Conversion Mortgages (HECMs) for almost a decade. They are a direct lender and are licensed in all 50 states. Liberty currently does not offer consumer-direct retail lending in Utah, but they do in every other state.

• No up-front lender fees: Liberty does not charge any up-front lender fees. Any processing and loan fees are financed into the mortgage itself instead.
  • Homeowner resources: Liberty’s website has many resources for homeowners to review to help them decide if a reverse mortgage is right for them. Resources include: HUD counseling, reverse mortgage pros and cons and a checklist of eligibility and requirements for applicants.
  • Free 2-step calculator: Use Liberty’s free 2-step calculator on their website and within 30 seconds receive a free rate comparison, an available cash estimate and a downloadable handbook delivered to your email.
  • Iron Clad Guarantee: Liberty’s Iron Clad Guarantee promises to deliver fair and competitive pricing, loan closing within 60 days of the date they receive your loan application and HUD Counseling Certificate, live customer service between 9 am and 5 pm PST, an online loan application, protection of your personal information and the promise that you can always change your mind or stop the process any time before your loan is funded.
  • Pricing promise and closing commitment: Liberty guarantees they will match or beat a competitor’s pricing, and they will give you a $100 VISA gift card if they are unable to do so. They are also committed to closing quickly and efficiently and will give you a $500 credit toward your closing costs if they fail to close your loan within 60 days.
  • Best for Seniors who want a fast reverse mortgage process.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc. Company Profile