2. Reverse Mortgages

4.3/5 (330 ratings)

About Liberty Reverse Mortgage

Liberty Reverse Mortgage provides services to homeowners age 62 and older as a retirement planning solution and access to achieve short-term financial goals.

Our reverse mortgage solutions are useful in:

- Supplementing retirement income

- Paying off an existing mortgage

- Covering for medical expenses

- And helping with any other major costs!

Contact us today for a free rate comparison!

Pros

• No monthly mortgage payments
  • Free online resources for partners
  • Liberty Iron Clad Guarantee

Cons

• Rigid eligibility requirements

Bottom Line

Liberty Reverse Mortgage offers two types of reverse mortgages to eligible homeowners: HECM loans and HECM for Purchase loans. Unlike most home equity loan providers, Liberty is a direct lender and available in 49 states.

Top Liberty Reverse Mortgage Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The entire process took no more than six weeks... They were awesome people to work with. Everybody was really on-the-ball. They were very right on target with everything and there...

Verified

Everything was good with the application process. However it took a while… But the service was really good. Everybody was on time and they kept me informed. It was also pretty eas...

About Liberty Reverse Mortgage

Liberty Reverse Mortgage is a member of the National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association and one of the biggest and most experienced home equity conversion mortgage (HECM) providers in the United States offering conforming and jumbo loan products. Liberty’s jumbo reverse mortgages, also known as propriety reverse mortgages, are available for amounts higher than the typical HECM limit.

Dedicated and licensed loan professionals help deliver fast, efficient funding in 49 states. Liberty Reverse Mortgage’s options have flexible terms and competitive pricing, plus the company doesn’t charge upfront fees — they bundle processing and loan fees into the loan. Qualified borrowers are not required to make monthly mortgage payments, but they must pay property taxes and homeowners insurance, as well as maintain their home.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage products

Liberty Reverse Mortgage only provides HECM loans and HECM for Purchase loans. Both types are reverse mortgage loans insured with the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) and are available to people 62 years or older.

• HECM loan: An HECM loan from Liberty can be used to pay off existing debts and supplement retirement savings to enhance retirement lifestyle. Like HECM loans from other providers, applicants meet basic requirements, like HUD financial eligibility criteria.
  • HECM for Purchase loan: Liberty offers HECM for Purchase loans for single-family homes, FHA-approved condominiums and manufactured home that meet FHA guidelines. Note that the seller must finish all major home repairs before the loan can close.

How does Liberty Reverse Mortgage work?

The Liberty HECM or HECM for Purchase loan application processes may take 30 to 45 days. Liberty Reverse Mortgage loan amounts are based on the appraised value of the home and are subject to the FHA and Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) limits.

Step 1. Complete a Liberty Reverse Mortgage application
The official application allows Liberty to begin the application process. The company does not charge application fees, and the application can be canceled anytime before closing.
Step 2. Attend mandatory reverse mortgage counseling
If you’re applying for any HECM loans, you’re required to attend a reverse mortgage counseling session with a HUD-approved counseling agency. As proof you have completed the counseling session, you’ll need to submit a signed HECM Counseling Certificate to Liberty Reverse Mortgage.
Step 3. Get an appraisal
Your property will likely be re-appraised by an independent HUD-approved appraiser to determine the fair value of your property, even if you have a recent valuation of your property. Appraisal fees may be aggregated with the total mortgage amount.
Step 4. Wait for underwriting
Liberty Reverse Mortgage underwriters ensure all conditions are met and additional and missing items completed before establishing a final closing date. After meeting all the underwriting requirements, you and Liberty will then confirm the closing date.
Step 5. Sign Liberty Reverse Mortgage closing documents
On closing day, a Liberty Reverse Mortgage loan professional will request you sign the final closing documents in the presence of an attorney or notary. After signing the documents, you’ll be allowed a three-day rescission period within which you may cancel your application without penalty. If you don’t cancel, Liberty will issue a check or wire the applicable funds to your bank account. Keep in mind that the right to the three-day rescission period does not apply to HECM for Purchase loans.

Liberty reverse mortgage FAQ

Who qualifies for a reverse mortgage with Liberty?
Borrowers who are at least 62 years old and hold title to their home may be qualified for a reverse mortgage with Liberty. Applicants must also have sufficient equity in their home and meet financial eligibility requirements established by HUD.
What is the Liberty Iron Clad Guarantee?
The Liberty Iron Clad Guarantee is a commitment by Liberty to deliver exceptional customer service and value. Liberty promises fair and competitive pricing to all borrowers at all times, and if they can’t match a competitor’s offer, they will issue you a $100 Visa gift card. With the Liberty Iron Clad Guarantee, Liberty Reverse Mortgage commits to close your loan within 60 days. If they cannot fulfill this commitment, they will issue a $500 credit to your closing costs. This offer applies to borrowers who submit requirements on time. It is, however, not applicable for HECM for Purchase products, loan applications that do not meet FHA eligibility requirements, loan applications that are canceled before closing, HECM counseling costs and closing costs above $500.
How long does it take to close a Liberty reverse mortgage?
Liberty’s average processing time from start to finish is roughly 30 days but may take as long as 45 days. Processing time will depend on the circumstances of the loan, the speed of submission and requirements by the borrower.
What is the Liberty Reverse mortgage wholesale program?
With the expanding senior market, Liberty partners with wholesale lenders and brokers — from high-volume producers to one-person third-party originators. To help grow their businesses, Liberty provides them access to their products, marketing support and training at no cost.
How does Liberty calculate total loan amounts?
Liberty considers the type of reverse mortgage, age of the youngest borrower, current interest rates, the appraised value of your home, and FHA maximum lending limit or sale price when calculating total loan amounts. Liberty partners can access Liberty’s online Reverse Calculator, where the lowest rate and fee are automatically included.

Do we recommend Liberty Reverse Mortgage?

Liberty Reverse Mortgage could be a smart choice for qualified seniors who want to get rid of recurring mortgages or build cash buffers for unexpected expenses through a conforming or jumbo HECM or HECM for Purchase loan. A reverse mortgage is a big decision, but Liberty Reverse Mortgage has taken strides to extend exceptional service and value to its clients — for example, get $100 Visa Card Gift if they can’t match a competitor or a $500 credit to your closing costs through the Liberty Iron Clad Guarantee.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Reverse Mortgage?

Original review: June 12, 2021

I liked that I didn't have to pay a mortgage every month if I had a reverse mortgage and the first time I did it with Liberty, things went well. But the second time, which was a year later, there was a little bit more to it. Even though it was supposed to mirror the first one, the process was different. During my first time, I dealt with one person and this was right in the middle of COVID, but she came to the house and we wore our masks. We went through the paperwork and the money was enrolled into my account. The process was pretty simple and fast.

During the second process, I dealt with one person first and her name was Leslie. She was explaining and mirrored the same thing. Then I had to deal with a second person for information, and I had to deal with a third person who was the last person I dealt with. She kept coming back and asking me for paperwork. I didn't need all that paperwork that she asked for the first time and I didn't know if it was because some things had changed within my status. Then, they wouldn't allow me to enroll all the money that I was getting into my account. It was like I could borrow when I need it and I got less than I had the first time.

The process also took a lot longer this time because I went through different people for different sections of the process. Plus, I still had the reverse mortgage from the first time and they had to calculate, so it could be paid off then come back to deal with this particular reverse mortgage, which was fine. But I don't think that was explained to me at first, so I didn't understand. And they whoever was supposed to do what they needed to do within that window span didn't do it within that a period of time, so they had to go back and get permission to extend that window.

At that time, I would always call Leslie because I wasn't understanding why I had to deal with all these different people. She said they sometimes change up and see what works and what doesn't. But if you're dealing with the one person all the way through, you're a little bit more comfortable than having to deal with three people. Other than that, Leslie was always happy to answer my questions and there was nothing wrong with the service I received from Liberty. The problem was with the process and all in all, if the reverse mortgage is something that a person has to do, I would still recommend Liberty to them.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage response

Thank you, Michelle! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

Get buying tips about Reverse Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

I talked to Wells Fargo that my husband has banked with for over 40 years and their reverse mortgage and the people were not nearly as willing to spend as much time with us as Eric and his team at Liberty. They explained that this is primarily what they do. They have never put me on hold for 20 minutes. When I've contacted them and I've got questions that I really need answered, usually the same day or within 24 hours working day, within the second working day, they've gotten back to me.

My husband and I don't have a budget for having a computer and an internet link in our home. Eric and his entire team understood that UPS would be the fastest, reliable, ground service. They chose the alternative that would be the most efficient even though it wasn't cheap to send those envelopes and to get me sending those envelopes back. Every time they needed original documents, they just had me put post-it notes on them saying, “These are my originals. Please return them as soon as possible.” They did that throughout. Eric, Peggy, and that team deserve congratulations on doing their jobs so well, and for them demonstrating throughout the entire process which took a long time. They were very consumer-friendly. Eric, in particular, is a very understanding and detailed person. Everybody who was shoring up the process and helping him out were very capable. It was a good experience working with them.

The application and underwriting process took five months. Delays and difficulties resulted because, for example, there was a lack of understanding of the way my insurance agent has very capably and carefully protected our family. Our homeowners insurance doesn't just insure for the amount that the house is valued at. It insures us over that amount. In other words, if our house is destroyed or totaled in any catastrophe that's insured, we’re covered not only for the amount the house is valued at, but about another $110,000 over that, so that if we need to completely replace our house, our insurance will take care of us, and somebody at Liberty didn't understand that.

The process was delayed almost a month because they required me to go back to my insurance agent and to have my insurance agent prove to them how much insurance we actually carry on the house. I find the process very daunting because of a lack of understanding of how carefully we take care of our primary asset, our home, and how carefully we have insured it. We actually pay quite a lot for homeowners because we value our primary asset over and above what they value it at.

We're using the equity in our home to our reverse mortgage primarily because my husband had five surgeries last year. $190,000 is not unusual for one of his medical bills and so, I have to deal with how to deal day by day with his illness, his pain, and his stress. I have to also deal with the financial reality of making sure that he's covered by his primary health insurance and Medicare. Now, I'm also using the reverse mortgage to pay bills for medicine.

I set about this process to do something that we didn't want to do under any circumstances. We had a free and clear home. He’s 72, I'm coming up on 70 years old. We're in the middle of a pandemic of universal or global stress and global reality. The whole thing of having to have people in the home to do our valuation and have people in our home to do essential repairs that we weren't exactly waiting on. But we decided that since we were requesting money on an intact and functioning home, that could be resold if necessary if my husband doesn't survive his cancer. The guys at Liberty were very human and they were willing to take an extra five minutes to hear the fact that we're great grandparents. They were very supportive and understanding that we were doing something we have worked throughout our lives.

I would recommend them very highly because the process is not their fault. The piles of paperwork at the last closing had more than 50 sheets of paper and we had to sign between 35 and 40 times. It's a process that every time takes an hour and a half. Their patience, their helpfulness, and the fact that when I had some questions about why the paperwork was so incredibly involved, they said that this is a major political and financial process, and I hadn't realized when I started it because I have held mortgages before.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage response
    Great feedback, Kathleen! We genuinely appreciate it and we’re glad to hear that you’re

happy with your experience working with Liberty.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

In 2016, we started looking at finding a reverse mortgage vendor. We had a very close friend of ours that had been with Liberty and recommended them. So, we processed through that. And then, we got our counseling fee and everything taken care of and got our house appraised. April of 2017 we finally got the loan closed. So, we've been with Liberty since 2017.

We're in our mid to late 70s. Approaching our 80s here rapidly skyrocket time in our life. We had a close friend pass away. Brad had gone through knowing full well that his passing would come within a year or two, so he started searching around to refinance his reverse. And I went to them, initially, because I figured Liberty had gone out of the business because we had been transferred from Liberty to some other company and then PHH eventually. Got Brad’s appraisal come back and it was way off bat.

Somehow, I got a letter from Liberty saying that, “Hey, you know, you're a valued customer and if you'd be interested in refinancing, we might be able to help you.” So, we went to them and they beat everybody's price. Our closing cost was outstanding. In December we closed. We have been refinanced and our interest spread on our loan is down. We borrowed considerably against our reverse, too. We put a new roof, new cabinets, oak floor, windows, and gutters to spruce it up a bit. In refinancing now, we got some more assets that we can put in new carpets and build a garage and finish off the basement area, and maybe get that done before I turn 85. Hopefully, I'll get that done next year. We're just tickled pink. We got everything squared away.

One question we do have is we had received several follow-ups with Liberty in our PHH statement and then separate letters that they sent. One of them that stuck out was, “Liberty Reverse Mortgage, Reward Card, $50, Randall B and Grace **. $50 is just a phone call away when you apply before 12/31/ 2020. Our records indicate that you benefit from refinancing your existing mortgage. Plus, as a valued customer, you will receive a $50 Visa card just for applying before 12/31/20.” We applied and nothing has happened. I presumed because they figured they gave us such a good deal that they don't have to do this card. So, that's kind of a tricky thing.

Then today, I paid on house insurance. In order to close the loan, we had to pay an additional $115.90. I paid that with my credit card. We got a payment plan set up. I just paid another $211 on the house insurance. But they went ahead and paid it themselves and then tacked it on the loan. I don't know who to contact about that. And maybe I'm reading it wrong. But other than that, we are just thoroughly pleased. Top of the world. We have recommended already four other couples to delve into this matter. Unfortunately, there are some misconception out there, and I don't know who's putting it out. Like our daughter and son-in-law are very concerned that we would do this because it's not gonna be advantageous for us. But I looked at it.

We started building our home in 1978. And in 1985, our daughter and our son-in-law were able to get married in our house. We took out a loan for $41,500. I had to go through five different banks and finally found my credit union, the one I've been with ever since ’65, agreed to give us 41,500. The other five banks though would not loan us the money unless we borrowed 85,000 because it was impossible to build a four-bedroom, 2,840 square foot house for less than 85,000. We built our house for 41,500. Out of that 41,500, we were able to make six trips to Honolulu, Hawaii and spent about two to three weeks atop with two of the three kids over a period of four years. Our house is now worth $430,000 because of what we got approved for on the refinance of the home. And that was closed out in December of 2020.

Two weeks ago, I checked on our evaluation of a home, and it's now 460,000. That's not market. That's what Zillow Realtor and the other outfits that do real estate. Plus, I went back to the HECM guy that did our appraisal on our home. 57 pages of qualifications. They go through a lot to be able to get on the approved list to do HECM appraisal. And he comes back with the 465,000. That's pretty nice, huh? So, for us, this is a tremendous advantage because once we got up into our 65, retired, that we had no other source of income unless we were able to get a job or something, which we did. But essentially, our sole source of income was what we had put into our traditional IRAs and savings accounts, and then what we could pick up on the side.

To be able to come out and refinance and drop our interest rate from like 4.5 or 5% down to 2.57 for another X number of years, it's really a good thing. Plus, to be able to come out with another $180,000 or so that we got a line of credit on. Somehow Liberty and these other outfits that do these reverse have to get on the street and let the public know what the advantage is of a reverse mortgage. And they got the information out there, but for whatever means, there's information that's not telling the truth of what the advantages are. And looking what I see from Liberty, they need to hire somebody that really know something about what the reverse does and put that in their advertisement. Because there's such an advantage of it.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage response
    Great feedback, Randall! We genuinely appreciate it and we’re glad to hear that you’re

happy with your experience working with Liberty.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

What I liked about Liberty is they paid most of the major cost on it, even though I paid a little more interest than I would have expected, but I thought the interest wasn't as bad as paying the large fees that they covered. I really didn't incur a lot of costs outright that is. So I thought that was the best thing, and the people were very nice. The initial person, Janice, was very helpful. She was on the phone with me for a while. She explained everything and then she sent me some information.

There was a gentleman from another company who lives in the community. He came over and he spoke to me directly, but I didn't like them. I thought they were expensive. Janice was very good. Once I left her portion, she said she was always available. I got in contact with another person who more or less spoke to me almost every week to tell me how it was coming along. They made appointments for me and so on for the person to come and help me fill out the papers. That was very good that they always kept in contact with me. I didn't have to call them every week to find out what's happening. That made it very easy.

We started somewhere around October 15th, and we closed on December 26th. The process was lengthy only because the property, the house that we live in is in a trust, and that created quite a problem. It would have been done much faster if it wasn't for the trust problem. Fortunately, I had copies of the trust available, and I was able to supply that right away. Normally, some people might not have had that, and that would have taken even longer because they have to go to the attorney and they get a copy and so on. Then we were missing some amendments. Fortunately, I was able to get those from the lawyer quickly and forward it to them. So it went relatively fast compared to some mortgages that I got on property.

People should stay away from the one with the guy that talks on the television. I didn't look at the figures really carefully, but on my basic knowledge of financing, it seemed to me that Liberty is less expensive. This setup is very good, especially in my case, because my house is worth quite a bit of money. It was over a million dollars. I didn't expect to be around at 88. I sort of ran out of money. I never thought I'd have to do this, but it seems to be a very good solution, and it makes my feelings better because I'm concerned that something could happen to me that my wife would be left alone, and she would not take care of the finances. So this way, she knows that she can always get some money if she needs it.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage response
    Great feedback, Jerry! We genuinely appreciate it and we’re glad to hear that you’re

happy with your experience working with Liberty.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

I wanted to refinance the reverse mortgage and put my partner on it. That's why I decided to refinance. I called the people that I had the mortgage with, to ask them about refinancing, how it would go, and was it possible what I wanted to do. They said that I could do that. And it was a good time to refinance because interest rates were lower than what I had three years ago, property values were up, and you could get more money out when you did a reverse mortgage.

Originally, I decided to sell a big house I had out in the country. I had a four bedroom, three bath house and a half an acre. It was just essentially me and one other person. I looked at doing a reverse mortgage of that house. I felt I will use up all of my retirement before I die. One big part of that was I was still paying the house. Rather than doing a reverse mortgage on that house, which was getting older, I knew I was going to have to put money in that house within the next 5 to 10 years. It would need a new roof. It would need to be painted. And I had already done that on the house. I knew how much it would cost me.

I decided to just sell that house, buy a smaller one, and buy it with the reverse mortgage purchase. That way, I had plenty of money to use to buy the house with the reverse mortgage. But I didn't have to use up all of my proceeds from the house. I had a bit of a nest egg to put with what I still had. And by not having a house payment on the new house, I would be able to live on my social security, and I wouldn't have to dip in every month to my retirement savings.

I got the original reverse mortgage purchase with somebody else. They sold it to Liberty. So, when I decided that I wanted to refinance, I went to Liberty because they already had all my stuff. It took a little longer than it should have because of the pandemic and because people weren't always working in the office. But overall, I'm really happy with what I accomplished. I was able to put my partner on the house. So if I should pass away before he does, he still will have a place to live until he dies.

I gave to them material that all that they needed. Somehow, and I figure it was probably a copying error, they lost the last page of the bank statement that I sent them. I sent it to them twice and somehow, they couldn't keep track of what I sent them. Because there weren't always people in the office to receive those things, they got put into stacks. Somehow, they got mishandled. I had to send information to them more than once. That was all probably due to people not being in the office and on top of things all the time because of COVID.

I don't hold that against them. Everybody's doing the best they can at this time. And stuff like that happens. It would have been nice to have settled it a bit faster. I probably would have gotten more money because of the time it took between when we started it and when it ended, the payoff on the old reverse mortgage had gotten higher. I got less money back out of the whole process. But since that was not my goal in doing this, it was not that big a deal.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage response
    Great feedback, Janet! We genuinely appreciate it and we’re glad to hear that you’re

happy with your experience working with Liberty.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

I applied the first time to Liberty Reverse and then, they had a problem. There was crop ground on my acreage so HUD threw it out and we had to start over again. So, I double applied. The whole process took a little over a year but I was well satisfied with the way everything was handled.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage response

Kevin, Thank you for taking the time to share your Liberty experience with others. We’re happy that you enjoyed working with us!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

At first, I thought the process was going to be difficult because I was really not good with PDFs, being on the phone, and doing and finding everything. That held me off for a minute because I wasn't sure about signing stuff on the phone. But I called my daughter and told her what it was. She told me to go ahead and sign it and it'd be okay. I liked that Liberty let me know what was going to happen next and I wasn't just sitting. There were a couple of little snags that I had to call about that were taken care of right away. The agents were all on the ball, they were all in contact with me, and they acted really concerned over whether I understood what was going on and if I have any questions.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage response
    Great feedback, Linda! We genuinely appreciate it and we’re glad to hear that you’re

happy with your experience working with Liberty.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

For mom, the application and underwriting process with Liberty Reverse Mortgage went through quickly. Originally, we were trying to get me and my sister on it. It just got too complicated with legal ramifications. My mom was on the original with PHH. Besides being a businessman, the rep struck me as a nice person. Also, I got good answers. We're getting a lower interest rate. That is the savings.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage response

Thank you, Michael! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I'd recommend Liberty Reverse Mortgage. Joanne was an excellent loan officer and she was a good communicator. The only thing that I was disappointed with in the whole process was the appraiser and I'd never recommend him. The appraisal was way low. I mentioned the dissatisfaction to Liberty but there was nothing they could do about it. Even though I paid for the appraisal, the appraiser wouldn't talk to me about it. He said he would only deal with the lender. But the rate was fine and the terms were acceptable. It got rid of the monthly mortgage payment.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage response

Thank you, Derik! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

My husband and I had Liberty Reverse Mortgage since 2014 and I received a call from them that the rate had gone down and it would be beneficial for me to refinance it. I would never refuse a lower rate. Everything was explained thoroughly and I was satisfied. The process took about a month from getting all the paperwork to the different individuals that needed it. The reps were great because every time there was an issue and I would bring it up, they would check into it and see what needed to be done. There were about four different people that I had communication with and all of them were kind and helpful. They went over and beyond trying to help me get what I needed.

Liberty can improve by having more communication internally with all of them and not have so much paper that the person that’s trying to get the loan have to go through because they have so much documents and it's redundant. Once you put something in the computer, anyone that's working with the organization should be able to go into the computer and see what was done. For instance, I had to send my husband's death certificate and papers that I had already sent to one and then I would have to turn around and send those papers to someone else in another office, which was frustrating.

Liberty Reverse Mortgage response

Rollin, Thank you for taking the time to share your Liberty experience with others. We’re happy that you enjoyed working with us!

Liberty Reverse Mortgage Company Information