4.69/5
  • 1 star
Based on 536 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc. provides reverse mortgages for homeowners age 62 and older as a retirement planning solution and access to achieve short-term financial goals.

Our reverse mortgage solutions are useful in:

- Supplementing retirement income

- Paying off an existing mortgage

- Covering for medical expenses

- And helping with any other major costs!

Contact us today for a free rate comparison!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 11, 2017

658 Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Doing a reverse mortgage was the best alternative and I knew of Liberty through Ocwen. I figured it had to be something that would be recommended since Ocwen was associated with it and the reps were very knowledgeable. My experience with Liberty was exceptional. Any questions I had were easily answered right away. I wasn't given a runaround of any kind and when they said they will do something, they did it right away.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I had been doing research on reverse mortgages. There was one other company that had a better rating than Liberty Home Equity Solutions but I got upset with them. We were going at it real good. They had a notary come over to my house but when she saw the work that I'm still finishing up on the rest of my house, she called these people out in California and told them that my whole house is a mess. That I'm doing a lot of reconstruction in there and not to give me the loan. That blew me to the roof and I threw them out of my house so then I called Liberty.

When they took over, I got a hold of Tullis. He's a cool guy and is very diligent. He was very exact about things. But what impressed me about him was that he's honest about telling me the circumstances so I knew why he has no control over what's happening in the background. Because of him, I can see how many of Liberty's people could be frustrated because they're being told one thing and second things are happening. And I got caught up in the middle of it, especially when I did the paperwork. I gave him all the stuff but he told me that they're not ready for that. That they got to take me through this in stages. And that’s a big problem. I'm ready to rock and roll, lock and load, and give them everything they want. But according to FHA, it has to be done in stages of acceptance. That frustrated Tullis. They say, if it goes over three months, they are giving me 500 credits. Mine went over three months.

Everything that Tullis asked me to do, I did with impunity. I went out and borrowed money. I spent $16,000 of my money in remodeling everything to bring everything up to the standard where I could get approved in the different levels of acceptance put on by Liberty. Then they would get back to the girl over in California and she would send a message to Tullis. Tullis would call back and tell me that I need to fix the ceiling in my mudroom. In a matter of days, the thing looks like it's all brand new. Then I found out it didn’t matter at all because the inspector wouldn't even be looking at it. I spent money for that. I've spent time on it.

Then the next thing, I'm still waiting. We're still in limbo. But then talking to Tullis, I felt bad for him with three to four people because he's got other clients he must take care. But I spent a lot of time understanding and making sure I'm knowledgeable because I don’t want to be like one of those garage dummies that wasn’t paying attention as they lose their houses because of some stupid piece of paper. So, I'm not happy with the circumstances because I'm totally out of control. I am extremely upset.

In addition to that, I got a letter from the people handling the maintenance of the reverse mortgage. They told me that I had some kind of maintenance agreement write-up I set up concerning my master bedroom, which I did not have. I was not even aware of this, but the people withheld money and made it where I had to have another HUD inspector come in and check the painting on my walls. I had to pay him $175 of the $612 they withheld from me. There was never an issue with the master bedroom, to begin with.

The first time I got the letter and called, they told me to call them and they'll help me get through it. They were referring to the floor needing fixing. The floor had nothing to do with the original inspection put on when they came in to let the HUD people see it. I was totally unaware 100% that they still wanted me to fix something in the master bedroom. Then they withheld money. Also, my mama died so I remodeled the whole half of my house after she passed away. The wall in question is the backside of my mom’s room, where I had them put new drywall in because it used to be a door between the two rooms. What caught their eye was the sanded off area where they're seeing white blinds where they put the close-up joints in the drywall. As a result of that, I went ahead and started tearing it up since I was going to remodel that room anyway. So I started taking down the rest of the drywall on the other side. I was thinking to knock out the wall and put a French door in because of what I did in my mom’s room.

Then I get this letter saying I needed to paint the walls and they're going to have an inspector come in. Now, I'm committed to doing the whole job even though I don’t even have all that money to do it because I was going to do it in stages. They're giving me until next year to get it completed but I don’t like the way that it all turned out. It's bad. Originally, they didn’t even know what they wanted me to do. And I'm talking to the people that are supposed to be controlling all of this. They had to go before and get another review from the upper echelon people. But it's like they're making things up because there's format to get through. And here's another thing. I've had to call Liberty's home office three times. And then I've got a guy on the phone. He said that he's one of the 3,000 people working there and he's not familiar with what I was talking about. I then asked him why did he answer the phone. He said that it's the way it's set up.

So I just wasted all that time getting a hold of them in California, which means I got to wait here in Orlando because of the time difference. And there's a lot of customer service request - like I have to call this number, or I got to get some guy working on the 89th floor and it's not on the notary system. You can't get to the person you need to talk to about your specific case and that's very frustrating. All in all, before it was all set and done, I ended up spending close to $21,000. I got $8,000 for my sister and my own money. I borrowed whatever I could to make this right, so I could get this mortgage. And that’s a lot of money. Plus, I'm the one who did all the labor. Not to mention, I've got 12 stents in my body, severe arthritis, and sleep apnea. Tullis knew all this, and he was amazed at what I was able to do. But the bottom line was I needed the money because I deserve it. I'm on top of all this stuff.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

My financial advisor informed me of Liberty and he said that he had a good experience with them. Reverse mortgage is the way I had thought home equity operated and I like it better with how it was set up and the advantages it provided. We dealt with Jim and also had contact with his assistant and they were very attentive to our needs. We had very good interactions and I feel very positive with the guidance I received. My wife asked more questions than I did, but they were very responsive and addressed both our concerns quickly. The whole process took less than a month, which wasn’t long.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I was looking online and Liberty was one of the top 10. I'm on a fixed income and I needed some repairs done in my house. I also wanted to pay off the cremation for my wife and myself so when we die, the kids don’t owe anything. So, I got a reverse mortgage. The loan officer was excellent. They were upfront and I got the $10,000 the way I wanted to start with so I could get things paid off. Everything went smooth and I'd recommend Liberty very highly.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

My husband was just diagnosed with cancer. We knew that his treatment would be expensive, so we went down to HUD in Denver, Colorado to apply for a reverse mortgage. We got all the details, applied there and they sent it to Liberty. When I refinanced, I wanted to stay with them because they were very good to me. They were very professional, helpful and polite. Angie, the young lady I spoke with, took me through the pros and cons. We spoke so much that it was personal. I felt one on one with her.

When she said she was going to do something, she did it and called me back about whatever needed to be done. I was very impressed with the follow-through because sometimes salespeople will give you all this spiel and never follow through. That’s important. She referred other people and told me that she would refer me to another department or a notary public. I was updated all the time. I didn’t necessarily know the person that was coming, but I knew they would call ahead and tell me when they were coming. I knew that Angie had gotten in touch with them. My husband has since passed on but the reverse mortgage worked for us, so I could stay in the home.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Home Equity Solutions?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

When we were retiring, we looked at reverse mortgages and decided to go with Liberty. Some emergency things came up, so we applied for advancements. I called Liberty back, they gave me the agent, and he explained more to me than the others have. There was even one who told us a new way that they do the process and we found out that he wasn't from Liberty. The people from Liberty were more courteous and I got more information from them. Their rep called us and kept us informed and the process took less than three months to complete.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

The person from Liberty that I dealt with went out of her way to be helpful right off the bat. She was civil, friendly and professional. Plus, she can answer any question. When you're first getting into it, it's very confusing. She made a point in making an appointment, calling me back, and taking a full hour to explain everything to me on an initial proposal. She made sure I understood what was going on regarding the interest rates and what the rules were. Also, I initially picked three companies. One local, AAG, and Liberty. I told everybody to give me their best price upfront. The other two companies played games while Liberty didn't.

I've lived in my home for 34 years. I paid it off a few years ago. But when the economy crashed in '08, I lost my job. Then, my savings went. Then, unemployment went and I had to cash in my 401 just to pay off the mortgage. I was able to survive for a couple of years, but it got to the point, where I used up my equity line and credit. I had no choice but to get a reverse mortgage. Liberty is the most above-board and ethical outfit that I have dealt with. They did what I'd expect of them and everything was timely. They made an unpleasant experience tolerable. This is not something I wanted to do, but at least I had a decent company to deal with.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

The information I got from the Liberty rep I talked to on the phone was reasonable and logical, and he was very nice, so I decided to do a reverse mortgage. He answered all my questions and asked me questions that made sense. It worked out fine for me so far.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Our original reverse mortgage a few years ago went through another company which was sold to Liberty Home Equity Solutions. Since we already had it, we decided to go back for a second time and I’m okay going with Liberty. I went with a reverse mortgage for extra money to pay some bills. The loan officers were very good and the process went as they said it would. They stayed in contact with me and let me know what was going on so it worked out great! It was quick and easy and Liberty Home Equity Solutions did a great job.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

My wife is going to be 65 in March so we figured that we needed to do something now. We needed to get some things paid off since we’re getting behind and it was bothering me. I’m retired and there’s not enough money to live on so I went for a reverse mortgage. Liberty was efficient and everything went fast. I got good answers from them right away and they sent Jeff out here. He explained everything to us and it sounded good. The loan officer was very nice and she took us through the process but I’m still confused since there were so much paperwork. There was a lot of stuff that we had to read and sign, but that was okay. However, I hate to have people go over and over on certain things but I have some memory problems and if they would have slowed down and tried to explain the whole process a bit more, it would have been better. Still, the process was in the two-month frame and we were satisfied.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I had a reverse mortgage on my other house a number of years ago with a guy, and he was also the one who told me about Liberty Homes. I sold my other house and I purchased a house four years ago. I'm 83 and I just have my Social Security check to live on. I wanted to be able to remain in this house, but I needed insulation and a few other things done, so having a reverse mortgage was the way I could manage that and it would work for me. The interaction with the Liberty loan officer went very well and the guidance I received was fine. They gave me the information I needed and I was satisfied with my experience with them.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I had tried a regular mortgage previously and then I got laid off. It’s very difficult to find a job at my age and I decided to retire early. That’s when I took the idea of getting the reverse mortgage to help me. Liberty Home Equity Solutions gave the most information, it was very detailed and I felt comfortable after reading their information as opposed to several others that I read. After reading Liberty’s page and talking to Richard, the rep I spoke with, it was fantastic. He was very responsive, very customer service friendly and gave me some websites to research because I had a lot of questions. He said that he didn't want me to just think down some of the products and that I should find out things, too. I had previously dealt with other providers and they didn't even come close to Richard's customer service. He was above and beyond. That was helpful for me to make my decision and they appeared to be my best option.

Richard turned it over to Lou who was equally as important and helpful to me. She was very hands-on, called me all the time and walked with me. It was quite a long process which took about three months due to what I had to do and documents I had to provide. But as soon as I sent it to them, they were right back on the next step. I recommended them to two people that are looking into reverse mortgages.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Liberty Home’s website was easy to navigate. The process was also easy because they led me step-by-step to everything we needed to do. Liberty Home answered all my questions. They were very helpful and right spot on everything. Also, Liberty has wonderful representatives. They told me exactly what was going happen and it happened. They constantly kept me abreast of what was going on and communication was wonderful! I’m very satisfied with Liberty Home and I would highly recommend them to all my friends.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I wanted to not have a house payment. So, I talked to several reverse mortgage providers and I liked the sales agent from Liberty Home Equity Solutions who explained what reverse mortgages are, what they do and how it would benefit me or not benefit me. She also gave me the ins and outs of both sides which I appreciated.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I spoke with a gentleman about getting a reverse mortgage and he had some experience with Liberty Home Equity Solutions and he recommended them. The turnaround was fast and took less than a month. I got exactly what I wanted out of it. The fee structure seemed fine and was in line with everybody else’s. It worked out well and I was very pleased with the whole process. All my questions and concerns got answered quickly and things went the way I was told they would go. There were no wrinkles in the process, which is unusual in a mortgage. I would definitely recommend to a friend.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Reverse mortgage was a good thing for us to do and it was something that my husband and I talked about for some time. We also see the ads all the time. Everybody in Liberty Home was courteous and nice but my husband talked to Donnell a bit on the phone. They were helpful in trying to move things along as I knew it would be a process. It was not surprising that the process took a long time but I wished it would have gone faster. There was a problem though since we bought and own a solar in the house so when the first appraiser came out, he told us that he can’t do it because he didn’t have any account to compare. So, Liberty had another appraiser come out and that caused a week delay in the process.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I chose the reverse mortgage so I didn't have to make my mortgage payment and to bring up some cash, and Liberty Home Equity Solutions was recommended by an acquaintance. Everyone there was excellent, friendly, professional, and knowledgeable. The fees were competitive. The loan officer Yvette was considerate and I recommend the sales associate Jena that I worked with because she did a great job too. Everybody was considerate and always available.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

We're 70 years old and we don't owe anything on our house so I talked to Liberty Home for a reverse mortgage. I had a friend who went through Liberty, so I took her recommendation. Liberty's representative was very willing, accommodating and very available. Our overall experience was excellent. And if a friend wants a reverse mortgage, I'd tell him to go to Liberty.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

There was an advertisement on TV about AAG and I went to the computer and put that in as I wanted information. I was then contacted by Liberty Mutual and we got hooked on it. I was opposed to the commissions that were on top of the loan and Liberty didn’t charge interest on the fees for initiating the loan which was considerable. I got $4,000 for writing up doing what they were supposed to do and that's outrageous. But everybody has got to make money in return. I started to listen to the person I spoke to at Liberty, as I have the same reason why they were doing it. He was very knowledgeable and considerate. Everything fell into place for me so I went with them. If they couldn't answer my question, they would ask and call somebody, then I would talk to them, and so any questions I had were fully answered ahead of time.

The only thing I've got now is that any payments or any loans that I get from Liberty go to the bank that I deal with here in Junction City. If they transfer money to this account here, this bank charges a fee for putting that money in the bank and I found that unconscionable. The fee is $18 to receive the money. So, I went down and talked to them about it, and they said that the way around that is to have Liberty or whoever makes the transfer of money mail me a check. In that way, I wouldn’t have to pay the fee. There is a way I can contact the servicing people to get that changed and what we're going to do is withdraw money whenever we need it and we're also going to have a regular deposit. It's been all good with Liberty Mutual.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Two years ago, I was looking into doing a reverse mortgage because we were almost finished paying our house off and I wanted to be able to use some money but did not want to have a big loan payment that I had to pay. I found Liberty Home Equity Solutions online and the company was in Sacramento which was closer to where I am. They sounded like they would be able to proceed and find out whether or not we would qualify for it. We got a reverse mortgage in 2015 then we recently redid that. When something happens to me and my husband, the house is going to my son and my granddaughter. But at that point, it would have to be sold regardless because neither one of them would want to necessarily move and live here. So it made more sense to not have payments and then to do a refinance.

When we did the reverse mortgage originally, they needed a document that was huge at one point and since they were in Sacramento, it was easy for me to drive down there and give them the documents rather than trying to copy something and send it to them. That made it nice and easy and, if I had questions they were there to answer it. With that initial one, I contacted them in May and we had it all done by August. We had to have a consultation with the credit agency so we understand all the rules.

This last one would have gone by faster, except we had some issues with some stuff here at the house. We put solar in and there was extra paperwork with that and it never got processed like it was supposed to, so we waited two months after everything was ready to go ahead and do it. But it had nothing to do with them and the Liberty reps were very good. They were trained to keep track of it and try to get it working. They were good at helping us out, answering any questions we had and making sure that everything was set up to how the way we wanted it. They took care of any concern that I had and they were very easy to work with. I have been very happy with Liberty.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Our mortgage company sold our contract to Liberty Home Equity Solutions who has been recommended by a friend. I have spoken with them on the phone and they were very nice. They have also worked with us throughout the process and kept us updated. The only thing that upset my husband and me was that they didn’t tell us that the interest rates might go up. We felt like we got scammed on that one. Although it was said on the paper that our interest rates could go up anytime they want. So, it could be really costly. Other than that, I’d recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I looked up reverse mortgages on the internet and learned about Liberty Home Equity Solutions. I’m glad we chose the reverse mortgage. The process was fine and the loan officer was extremely busy at the time when it was getting ready to close. I've had a couple of things that I've gotten refunds on when they were processing the loan and recording it. I got a check in the mail today for $87 and I got another one a couple of days ago for $15. It said it was overcharged on recording. I used to work for a savings and loan and I didn't realize it cost so much now to record something.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Liberty's salespeople were very courteous, but I would not recommend the company because they screwed me over. They charged me over $5,000 to finance a $4,300 loan and they took four months to close it. It was outrageous. Every time I turned around, there was another delay and they kept adding it up. They got an appraiser for the property who didn’t show up when she was supposed to. She showed up a couple of weeks later. When she'd get something on a Friday, she should have turned it in on a Monday but she didn’t turn it in for weeks. And then she found a couple of things that needed to be done but when I got them done, I had to wait for her to get back.

Liberty charged me again for her to come back out again. It was a horrible experience. They need to be upfront with people and let them know what it’s going to cost upfront, and not change it. Normally when you take a mortgage out, a company would tell you what your rate is going to be and they freeze right there, but Liberty raised the damn rate right in the middle of all the hullabaloo that was going on.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

So far, it’s been going well with Liberty. My wife had passed away about three years and three months ago and with that, I had one income come in. I got a reverse mortgage and had a few things done around the house but I'm also paying half of it. I looked at several mortgage providers and Liberty came out to be the best one. Liberty also had a much quicker process than the others and that's what I like.

Harry, the rep that processed everything, went all the way and always helped me. I don’t like doing paperwork. So, I just call Larry, and he tells me where I should put what form, and what I should do, and I got approved. Every time I got a problem, I call him and he put me on the right track. He gave me a change in the deposit and I got more now than what I got way back. Sometimes, I also forget what's my due and he’s able to get me in under the line and make sure that I get what I want. He pushed and stayed right on it, from the first start to the time that everything got finished.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

The guy from Liberty sounded good, and I also had a friend of mine who does legal stuff check the company out, and he said it seemed like a good deal. At first, the process was slow going. Some other stuff came up that we didn't know about but we got it figured out. They had a problem with the surveying so we're just getting started but it's all right. The person I deal with, Eric, would check on me twice a week and keep me updated on what was going on. And another lady, Peggy, made sure I've done things the right way and sent in the right information to them. I'll recommend Liberty.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I am old and the kids all got their own homes, and it made sense having to deal with a reverse mortgage. I started the process with Liberty last year, and it took almost 10 months to finalize all the paperwork. It took so long, but I had no problem when it finally got on the go. I got to call them as well because they didn't send all my papers back. I will recommend them to a friend.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I was reviewing different reverse mortgage companies and I liked the quote I got from Liberty Home Equity Solutions. I was looking for the financial flexibility. The Liberty loan officer was excellent. I have 30 years of experience in the mortgage business so I knew what they were, how they worked, and why I wanted to do one. It's been 60 days since I started and I had all my documents close at hand so it didn’t take too long to finalize the paperwork. It made me happy that I was not trying to sell my house with FHA borrower because they keyed in about 10% lower than what I expected.

Another thing was the appraiser carried a ladder to the house but he wasn’t very careful and he bumped several walls with the ladder because he had to look up in the attic for some reason. That left little tiny dents in some of the corners but they're almost unnoticeable. The appraisal process part of it was weird although I've never gone through an FHA appraisal process before myself because I've always done conventional loans. So far, Liberty was fine and I'd recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

The people and the service at Liberty were great. My questions were answered and they prodded me along to get things going. They took a lot of money upfront and there was no finagling to try to get something better, but I knew what I was getting and what was happening. I’m going to recommend them, but I would make sure people get their facts.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

With our situation and age, a reverse mortgage fits our needs better than anything else. We liked the way Liberty handled everything. Chris, our loan officer, kept us informed of everything as we proceeded and we were extremely satisfied with his working with us directly. That was vital since we've never done the process before. He also lined up all of the notaries to assist us and it went very smoothly. We were confident in the direction that he was assisting us and it was a pleasant experience. We enjoyed working with the staff and they answered all of our questions and were very professional. My only issue is that the process takes quite a while. Other than that, we appreciated Chris' help and his staff.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I picked two reverse mortgage providers and Liberty was one of them. Reading their information and talking to the people was what got me to go with them. Their loan officers were very good. I went through a program, then stopped, talked some more and I decided to go to another one just to understand it and it took me about two years to decide and I’ve been working with Liberty from then. The application took about a month and two weeks to process. They made everything very comfortable for me. They sent the notary to come to the house, sent the papers I had to sign, and told me how to send it through the mail. The way that I was able to do it from my home and have my daughter here was perfect. I’ve had people ask me because there are so many things that they hear about a reverse mortgage. I would recommend Liberty to them. I would tell them that it worked out for me and I’m very satisfied with how Liberty represented everything to me.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc. Company Information