toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I wanted to get out of credit card debt, so I went with Liberty. The woman who came and talked to me knew a lot and she really helped me through it. She was also friendly and able to answer my questions.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

We appreciate your feedback, Rebecca! We aim to provide the best service for our customers!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2016

I took a class and Liberty explained everything very thoroughly. I had a lot of questions 'cause I didn't know a lot about it. They provided some information that I asked for after everything was completed and were very thorough.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Great feedback, Peter! We genuinely appreciate it and we’re glad to hear that you’re happy with your experience working with Liberty.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

Liberty Mortgage made the Reverse Mortgage experience both educational and understandable. Always quick to respond to my questions at each step throughout the process, and then following through showing me at each step exactly what they promised.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Geraldine, We’re delighted to read your feedback about Liberty! Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

I got a phone call from Bharat and he discussed about Liberty with me. He did a good job telling me the ins and outs about their home equity solutions and I really thought that that would be something that could help me out of my home situation. They really helped me a lot, everything went smooth, and it didn't take that long. I was able to get in contact with all the people I need to be in contact with. Yvette and Bharat called and kept up with me. I could call them anytime like if something came up that I didn't understand. The DebtHelper people also really helped me and were very kind. It was really a good experience for me.

Now I'm in the process of doing some repairs around my house. I've been calling some contractors because I wanna get it painted and I have a little wood issue that I need to have repaired. I had a little garden in front of my house and I was able to get somebody to come out and repair that. Everything is running along good. Looks like Christmas is gonna be good in my house.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Terry, Thank you for taking the time to share your Liberty experience with others. We’re happy that you enjoyed working with us!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

Liberty's loan administrator was great, bubbly and happy all the time. She called me when she really didn't even need to have to call me. Everything was pretty prompt and on a timely manner. However, I got this thing from PRC, I don't know if they were the underwriters and I was under the understanding that Liberty was going to hold the loan.

I'd already started some paperwork with AAG and didn't like the person that I was working with. He was very snooty, snotty, blunt and bland. He has no people personality. I brought up some situations and he acted like I was a dummy and I didn't like that. I've never gone through this so I had a lot of questions for him. They probably offered as much or more than Liberty did but weren't as cordial and polite. They seemed like they wanted a little more information on some things than I was willing to give. I just didn't like that person and I told him so on the phone.

Then, I worked with another person with Liberty and she was great. She did a lot of the paperwork and I can tell that she's very into her job. Since I had a lot of the paperwork already done through AAG, this made it a little easier for them and they picked up on it. They did everything on a timely manner and were very professional and personable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Home Equity Solutions?

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Great feedback, James! We genuinely appreciate it and we’re glad to hear that you’re happy with your experience working with Liberty.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

My sister and my next door neighbor used Liberty. They were really happy with it so I started thinking about it also. All I ever wanted was to have no house payment but I had a lot of equity in my home and I was concerned about losing all that. After really looking into it and talking to people, I was pretty much convinced that that really wasn't the way it was. So I felt pretty confident about getting a reverse mortgage. Everything went smooth with Liberty and I was real happy with everything.

The Liberty Home Equity representative who came to our house was excellent and his service was outstanding. He brought his own mortgage closure which was seamless and excellent. Their sales process was more than smooth. It's better than getting a mortgage. Like all other people, we have our doubts, but once we got done talking with him, we were pretty well sold that this was a legitimate deal. And it’s good for us because we’re 69 and we don’t intend on owning a house. They’ve done a great job.

I decided a reverse mortgage would be good because my credit was not good. I had no job and I only had my social security, so refinancing was out. We had to move fast ‘cause I didn’t want to lose the house or get behind. The rep of Liberty was very good about it. He got everything done very quickly and we flipped it to a reverse mortgage in time that I didn’t have any problems. They provided me with a lot of counselling and they were very nice and were always available by phone.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Great feedback, Joyce! We genuinely appreciate it and we’re glad to hear that you’re happy with your experience working with Liberty.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

I have a daughter who is in real estate and she helped us decide to go with Liberty. The loan officer was not as knowledgeable as he should have been. I'm not unhappy that I did what I did, but I probably should've looked around more and had a better interest rate. I didn't think their overall organization was as good as you would expect.

Working with Liberty has been very good. The lady we worked with was very experienced. She would help us even on weekends.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Maria, Thank you for taking the time to share your Liberty experience with others. We’re happy that you enjoyed working with us!

Original review: July 22, 2016

Our daughter who helps us with our business was concerned about our future, so recommend Liberty to us. We went to talk to them and we were very pleased. Working with the loan officer was very pleasant. My husband, my daughter, and I were very well received, and we understood exactly what we were going to do. The guidance was very good! Plus, the owner of the company was a very agreeable and kind person - we really like and trust him. He was the one that was explaining to us what we were going to do, so he was very important in our decision. Liberty saw our situation and offered us what we needed and we got it, so we're very satisfied.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Thank you, James! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the service that you needed.

Original review: July 18, 2016

I needed money so I did a reverse mortgage with Liberty Home Equity Solutions. The people that helped me were very nice about it. They answered all the questions that I had and they were very good with discussing options with me.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Dean, We’re delighted to read your feedback about Liberty! Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience.

Original review: July 16, 2016

The rep from Liberty was the second person I sat down with and I was satisfied about understanding everything. We discussed different options and everything’s good. I have no problem with anything. I’d recommend Liberty to a friend.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Karen, Thank you for taking the time to share your Liberty experience with others. We’re happy that you enjoyed working with us!

Original review: July 12, 2016

A friend of mine recommended Liberty Home Equity Solutions and introduced me to Bob, one of their loan officers. He was great and on top of everything. He answered all my questions and was genuinely caring and very helpful. Liberty gave me a ton of information, and they were very thorough. It was a great experience. It went very well, and in fact, of all the loans and refinancing I've done, it was one of the best.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Great feedback, Terry! We genuinely appreciate it and we’re glad to hear that you’re happy with your experience working with Liberty.

Original review: July 3, 2016

I felt better and more comfortable doing a reverse mortgage. I did some searching and went with a company, and then compared them to Liberty. Liberty by far was the best. They worked with me a lot better than the other one. I trust Liberty. Their rep answered all my questions. I slept on it since I wanted to make the right move, and then, I got back with them. The rep was very patient. She stayed with me and reassured everything was going to be fine, which turned out that way. It's a simple process, but the other company I went through didn’t follow up and made comments that didn’t sound right. Liberty was true blue all the way. Their follow-up was within hours, they kept me informed all the way through it, and I'm very happy.

I was trying to look for a reverse mortgage company. The only other alternative my wife and I had would be to sell the house, but we didn't want to move. Although our children are all gone, we still do not want to downsize. We like the house, so that limited the number of options. I talked to three companies that did this kind of service, and the personality of the Liberty Home Equity rep was more in tune with my wife and me than those from the other companies who were a little too aggressive. I felt that our rep, Steve, was the ideal guy, and we got along fine. The experience was very informative, constructive, and beneficial and they were very thorough with the guidance they gave. I have no complaints, and in fact I have recommended them to a couple of friends.

Because of my age and my retirement situation, and also because everything is tied up to my house and I wanted to access that money, I got a reverse mortgage and Liberty was a good company with good reviews. The loan officer was friendly and really good to deal with. He was very professional and I felt at ease with him, like I was dealing with an honest company. Their people told me what was going on, kept me ahead of the process and got back with me when they said they'd get back with me.

The only downfall I had with them was in the local appraiser they used here in my area. He was the only weak link I had. He wasn't qualified to appraise my home. My home is in a historical district and doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a new home elsewhere. I lived in this neighborhood for 18 or 19 years and know what the value of the houses are. I keep up well on that stuff. I had just helped a friend of mine locate her house. I looked at several houses in the area with her and these didn't even compare to my house yet my house appraised under these houses.

I was looking at close to $200,000. I had the appraiser walk through the house at the time and had a couple of ongoing projects I hadn't completed. I was told they'd open the market at $170,000 at least until I got the completions done but the appraiser hit me at $130,000. That's a $40,000 discrepancy. I took it very personally because I've put in a lot of time and money in the place and completed everything I had to complete according to his appraisal, but he didn't know his business. The appraiser is scheduled to come back and go through the house to make sure that I've met my requirements for the loan and if it's the same person, he and I are going to have some words.

The appraiser low balled my home so that's less money that I can use. That's also less money that they're going to draw interest off of so I didn’t see to behoove them for this guy’s appraisal. However when I complained about the appraiser, I didn’t get a really good feedback from Liberty. The people appraising the house here and the guy I was dealing with at Liberty was in California. That’s a big disconnect. You really can't explain to the person in California your area and what you have. Also, I thought that if I complained about the appraisal, Liberty would step up and say they'll find another appraiser and try another angle but they never made the offer.

My only option was to turn around and pay for another appraiser. But I wasn’t going to turn around and pay an appraisal fee. Maybe in the long run that’s what I should have done. But I don't need all that money. I took what I was given because that'll take care of me and when I sell the house, there won't be that much I owe. I've have considered at some point in time I'll just pay them off.

Liberty Home Equity is very informative. They certainly provided me with a number of pieces of material, directing me to HUD, which they’re required to do, but had no hesitation to do so. I’ve had people there who I always go back to. You’re getting these things where my mortgage was being moved from one person to another who was transmitting it finally to a bank. I ended up there with a maze of about two or three different people before it passed on to the final outfit where I do my business with right now.

I’ve put into a reverse mortgage and I get into constant trepidations - all these things they’re throwing at me and what’s required by HUD. But, they steered me through and I always have this home base I could come back to with Michael. If I felt there was some kind of a snag, Michael would jump on it right away. And within a short time, I would have it straightened out. He stayed with me the whole time.

My worst experience with a company is with Liberty Home Equity Solutions. We started off with me getting a quote, which I felt was very good, then we went into the processing for income. I'm a tax professional and I keep very good documentation, which I had provided, and whoever was doing the document or reviewing it asked me to prove the most stupid questions I have ever encountered. One of them is I own a property that I'm selling for contract for deed. They paid me $825 a month in cash. I usually deposit this into an ATM, which does not take $5 bills, or all of the bills that they give me. So I have to make two deposits, and I had to explain this. They take $5, but my worth says that I get $825. $5 is not going to kill anyone one way or the other. That was just one of the many stupid things that I had to prove, and it took over four weeks.

Then we go into the closing. I had to actually go to a supervisor to get a closing set because I was told that there's only one company in Oklahoma that does property searches. Well, there are many pages of companies that do this type of work. Oklahoma apparently is not online, which I can see, but it did not take another five weeks, and me having to go to a supervisor to get this done. Then when we came down to the closing, I had been given wrong figures so I came out at about $15,000 short of what I was quoted. I have not had a good experience and I definitely would not recommend them.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Great feedback, John! We genuinely appreciate it and we’re glad to hear that you’re happy with your experience working with Liberty.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

My experience with Liberty has been very easy. They are friendly, helpful and courteous. I found out that my first month earnings for not touching the principal were $270, so that was more than I expected and I like that.

Resolution In Progress

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Donald, Thank you for providing feedback about your experience working with Liberty! We appreciate the opportunity to improve our customer experience.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

The people at Liberty Home Equity Solutions were all courteous. However, it seemed like the process took forever and I had to jump through hoops before I ever got through it. It was not like what they advertised. Other than that, I'm satisfied with Liberty.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Joseph, We’re delighted to read your feedback about Liberty! Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

I'm pleased with how everything works with Liberty Home Equity Solutions. It is the second time I've worked with them, my first was a few years ago and I did an update recently to get a lower interest rate. At that time there was a person actually in my community who worked for them. So I actually had a physical contact and I chose Liberty at that time because I was able to meet with the person. There were lost paperworks a couple of times that I had to redo but I am happy with them.

I sent emails out to everybody I could find on the internet who provided reverse mortgages, and Liberty was the first to get back to me. I had a stellar interaction with their loan officer. I would highly recommend them every time.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

James, Thank you for taking the time to share your Liberty experience with others. We’re happy that you enjoyed working with us!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2016

I kept seeing commercials about reverse mortgage for about a year. The more I saw that commercial, the more I heard about reverse mortgages, and the more they appeared on the internet, the more curious I got! So, I finally clicked on one of those banner things on the internet to find out some information and that's how I found out about Liberty. Liberty was the one I clicked on and they gave me all the information about how their product work and what I can get.

Reverse mortgage is a strange thing that people don't understand. Those that are not informed will see the commercial and think it's too good to be true. They think the company's going to take their house, rip them off, and they're gonna lose everything. However, the more I find out about it, the more I found that it's an actual solution. It's a solution to having all of one's money tied up in a house, then they'll die, leaving the house to relatives or next of kin, without them having access to the money. It's up to people if they want to give the money to their kids or they can enjoy it themselves.

Liberty just had to bring that to light with people. Develop the idea that there is nothing wrong with reverse mortgage and they can get the rest of their family on board with the idea. They've been trying to sell this idea for 30 years and it's just now reaching to baby boomers, wherein a lot of us that can buy into the idea because we have the equity that younger people don't. Thus, this product wouldn't work for younger persons.

For my case, I don't have any wife or kids but I have two sisters and a brother that gets one third each of the house in my will. I don't have to really worry about them since they said they don't need my money. Being 65 years old, the people from Liberty also tried to sell me on quality of life. They told me that the reverse mortgage will help since I'd get an extra check every month. That's very appealing, knowing that I can spend all that money without having to wait another five years for the next opportunity to get money.

So I moved forward with the transaction. I got the lump sum upfront plus $200 per month. I got talking with the counselors and they're all supportive. They wanted me to understand all about the product and the decision I'm making because it does cost money - closing fees are above $5,000 - plus it's a long-term commitment. They told me not to bail on them right away, otherwise I'd lose.

The process took longer in my case because I'm single, on social security disability for a number of years, and I don't have a credit rating. The lady counselor said that we have to build my credit rating through a proof that I would pay bills on time. Liberty offered me a smaller line of credit for me which my sisters protested. They said I should get what I could so we appealed it. That process took an extra two months to go through, including the submission of additional documents from my dad's will. They had to show continuity that this was a special needs continuation. But even with the delay, I think Liberty has very expert people. Everybody I talked to sounded like they really knew what they were doing. Thus, I'd recommend them.

I'm gonna be 65 in about three or four months, and I have to get things squared away because I wanted to move. The first time I wanted to move turned out to be not feasible since I'd lose a whole lot of money and end up in a smaller place. Although I tried to sell the house, nobody would buy it because it wasn't up to spec and it was depressed value-wise. So the plan is just to stay here and fix up the house using the reverse mortgage as a source of money. Funnily, a lot of bills also cropped up in the course of getting the reverse mortgage since my central air conditioning and car broke down. I had to get a new used car. I also got the sewer fixed. I spent about $10,000 but I wasn't financially embarrassed because I was saved by the system.

The rep of Liberty in California that I talked to made a deal on the closing cost and I got the closing cost for about half of what the local company would’ve charged me. It’s signed, sealed and delivered now, and the cash that Liberty sent is all in the hands of my financial adviser.

I chose Liberty because of its no-cost angle, no closing or appraisal. Everything was excellent from the first gentleman I talked to in Sacramento, who was very knowledgeable, to Peggy who did the closing. They were both very nice and professional. I'd recommend this company. Everything went fine, no doubt about it.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Thank you, Charles! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the product you needed.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

I was originally going to go for a home equity line of credit, and I felt that the reverse mortgage that I picked from Liberty was the correct one because it was similar to a home equity line of credit. I could go in and out of it, I could prepay it and there were no closing fees. I spoke with the original loan officer and she was great, and the processor, as things were going on, couldn’t have been more accommodating. Both of them were very professional and helpful.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

We appreciate your feedback, Lloyd! We aim to provide the best service for our customers!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

Although the process took a long time due to extenuating services, I was pleased with the continual communications from the Liberty Mutual staff members. They constantly kept me informed on the process and what was needed.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Matilda, We’re delighted to read your feedback about Liberty! Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

My entire experience with Liberty Home Equity Solutions was excellent. From receiving information on HECMs to application to final closing, all at Liberty Home Equity were professional, extremely helpful and patient. I would strongly recommend Liberty Home Equity Solutions to anyone considering an HECM.

I'm 75 years old widow and I only get $2,000 a month. By the time all the bills are paid, I'll end up broke so I decided to get a reverse mortgage from Liberty Home Equity Solutions. They sent me all kinds of stuff that was already cut out for me so I could go back and look at it. So far, it's been mellow right now. I would recommend them.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc. Company Profile