toll free

Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc.

Carolyn, Thank you for sharing your feedback! We will use it to improve our customer experience.

Original review: July 18, 2017

About 8 years ago, I applied to AAG and the place didn't appraise as much as we needed so I dropped it. One day, I went online with my telephone and I put in that I was inquiring. A gentleman called me and I talked with him and he asked me to give him some information and ran a credit check. We took it from there and that was in the first part of February. Most of the time, if I contacted the loan officer, he contacted me back although there was once or twice that I called him and didn't hear back from him. The problem, however, was either the company or maybe FHA or the federal government. After the appraiser did the appraisal, I felt like I was getting the runaround.

The appraisal was done by a separate individual here in Tuscaloosa and I was told that I would get a copy but I had to call to ask for it. The appraiser was supposed to have it but then it had to go to another appraisal company first and that didn't make sense to me. They said they would try to get it back ASAP but it just went back and forth Liberty and FA Chase. Every time I called, all I was trying to find out was where my appraisal was, how much they appraised it for and if it were enough for what I wanted, and I couldn’t get any answers. He told me he had my appraisal right in front of him but he was not allowed to tell me how much it was for and I didn't understand that either. So I asked for a copy of my appraisal in writing and it took two weeks but I finally got it.

At that time, I was also calling the lady in Florida who's a processor and she was told they'll get the paperwork in a few days, but then I wouldn't hear back. I'd call her back but she'd say that she hasn't heard back from him either. After I found out how much my appraisal came back for, I thought there were some things in the appraisal that weren't right. I called the appraiser and he told me that if Liberty told him that they needed him to change something on the appraisal, he could look at it again but if I asked him to do it, it would wipe out the whole thing. He didn’t even appraise the property for what I had paid for. It would’ve brought my appraisal to where it should’ve been.

So, I called the gentleman and the lady in Florida but they never contacted him. They just went ahead and started working with me. They had me down a $15,000 worth of closing cost which they dropped and that’s why we ended up closing out but they never tried to do anything to help me with my appraisal. Overall, the entire process took three to four months. There was something underlying there that didn’t make sense to me. And although I don’t blame the two people that I dealt with, I wouldn’t use Liberty again.

My home needed a roof but I do not have a mortgage on my house and I did not want to go into my savings to pay for the roof. I decided to go to my local bank and get a credit line. In the process of doing that, and as much as I have a considerable amount of income, I was not given the credit line to my astonishment. I went to my financial adviser and told him the circumstances. He recommended me to look into Liberty Home Equity Solutions. When I went to Liberty, I learned that I could use the reverse mortgage as a credit line or I cannot pay it back if I don’t want to as is the custom of reverse mortgages. I saw the advantages of going this route. It was a very attractive interest rate and it cost me literally almost nothing. I paid $150 to listen to a government-approved counselor talk to me and my wife over the phone and give us the advantages and disadvantages of utilizing a reverse mortgage. He basically taught us about it.

Liberty's loan officer absolutely explained everything. They gave a huge amount of guidance and they showed several products and we ended up choosing the product that we felt was going to be the most suitable for our needs. They were very professional. I highly recommend the organization, especially the account person that I dealt with. Our experience has been very rewarding.

We're pleased with the way Liberty Home was taking care of things. Michael was our loan officer and he kept us informed about what was going on, what we needed to do and set things up to do the counseling. He’s taken care of everything until we got set up with it. We spent an hour and a half on the phone and then, they sent us a bunch of paperwork and we went through all that. So, everything went pretty well. We were happy and satisfied with it.

Everything we have is paid for - our car, our homes, and there were no other available funds. People are saying that we probably have everything taken care of and we don't need a reverse mortgage. But I thought if I've had everything paid for it'd be really good. We also wanted a new car and a couple other things, and that broke the camel's back. Also, if we don't owe a bunch of money, we're out of luck and we didn't owe a bunch of money. I thought a reverse mortgage would be a good thing to do when I was younger.

I got in touch with Liberty Home and I dealt with Nelda. She was straightforward, honest and she didn't pull any punches. If she didn't know something, she wouldn't pretend that she did and she'd tell she would find out about it. She would tell me straight out that she didn't know the answer and she'd see what she could do. In addition, I'm a general contractor and I talk to a lot of people about different things. I knew what she was talking about and people try to pat you on the back and tell you "Make it your best buddy", but that didn't happen with her. She's a very good employee and I felt very comfortable with her. So I paid cash all I could and I don't know if it's the best thing to do but we got through it just fine.

Liberty provided a very informative brochure. A lot of the information that was laid out was very clear. Everything went smoothly and I'm completely satisfied.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Home Equity Solutions?

I kept getting stuff in the mail that I could get more money out of my house. I had a reverse mortgage with Liberty Home Equity Solutions before so I thought of calling them and see what they got to say. I called and got ahold of Angie who was nice and professional. She was outstanding. She checked things out and said I indeed had some money available and I was eligible for it. She handled everything perfect and I couldn't be happier. They were good to me. I figured out to get as much as I can get at 79 years old. I would tell a friend that Liberty is very professional and I like the way they handle things. However, I don't like the hill back which is $5,000 until next year, but what am I gonna do? I was going to buy a new truck and I needed that extra five grand to get it. A new truck is about 45, 50 grand, which is a lot of money, so I have to drive the old one.

Two and a half years ago, I needed some cash and I figured reverse mortgage would be the best way to go because I knew I could always pay it back. Liberty was the only one that sounded really legit to me. I talked to my loan officers, Carol and Neil, on the phone a number of times and they were a blessing. They've been sweethearts all the way through.

The guidance Liberty provided was excellent. The last gentleman that came here was a retired pastor and we hit it right off. My cousin is a pastor here where I live at my church so I really enjoyed his company. He sat down and went through the paperwork with me. He went through and explained all the paperwork what it was so I was very impressed. He was trustworthy, honest and more than helpful. He went out of his way to call me and help out and followed through on what he said. I'm really pleased with the whole situation. I was really impressed with Liberty and I would recommend them to anybody. If others asked about Liberty, I would tell them to go for it in a heartbeat.

We were at an age where we didn’t want to refinance or do other things so having a reverse mortgage worked really well for us. We dealt with Horrace at Liberty and he was knowledgeable as compared to the other two companies who wouldn't call us back when we had questions or do any follow-up. His level of knowledge was one of the highest that we had expected. I was in banking and knew what to expect, and we had everything in order so the process went really quick. Although it wasn't a situation where we were in dire financial straits, Liberty was very helpful and we're very happy with what we did.

I had a lot of cash in the house and it's not doing me any good. So I decided to have a reverse mortgage and take some of the money out of the house. I used Liberty Home Equity Solutions before and this is my second reverse mortgage. I went through an agency before that used Liberty and then I got a letter from Liberty saying, "Well, you can qualify for another reverse mortgage." So I went direct with them now instead of going through a broker. The loan officer who helped me was fantastic. Her guidance was excellent and she did such a great job, I took her and her husband out for dinner. I was very happy with what they provided and they saved me a lot of money and fees. I couldn't be more pleased.

I researched on the internet and Liberty Home popped up. I checked with the Better Business Bureau and they got a good report there, then I contacted an agent who went through everything, including the pros and cons, with us. He was excellent, very open, and just laid it all out there for us, and then he gave us some time to think about it. My husband and I talked about it and decided to go with the reverse mortgage as it was the right financial choice for us. However, Liberty Home seems to require a lot of paperwork, which I realized that they should do to protect themselves, but that kind of dragged things out a little longer than needed. But other than that, they provided all the information that we needed, there was no pressure to go with them, and we were able to make our own decisions. That was important.

I wanted to do what I can do and get the reverse mortgage while I can. I went to Liberty and Gary was the first person I dealt with. I got the money put to my account and go from there. Overall, the experience was really good and everything went all right. I'd recommend Liberty Home Equity Solutions to anybody that needs it.

When I took a mortgage out 15 years ago, I thought I'd be dead by now, but I'm in fairly good health and want to stay in my own home. I got some offers from reverse mortgage providers from different states, but I didn't think I'd be able to do it because I tried a local one and that was a bad experience. The rep said we could do it and then the poor man had open heart surgery and never got back to me after I sent him all my information. I've tried several things through the years to get something done with my mortgage. I had a $24,000 balloon payment due in December. My son complained to the Attorney General because my mortgage company didn't offer me anything and I had been good with my payments all these years.

Once he did that, I got a letter from Liberty Home Equity Solutions saying they had a reverse mortgage available for me. My mortgage company never offered me anything but then Liberty did that and once they told me about it, I called them and it moved along well. Jerry was very good and quick. He sent me a quote, my children and I read that over, and then Jerry sent me the application and we closed on the 22nd of may. He was always helpful, informative, always answered my questions and discussed everything with me. Katy, the other person I worked with, would call and keep me updated even if nothing was currently happening.

I did the counseling and I paid for it, but, overall, it was a good, efficient experience and it helped me out a lot. I would recommend them.some reason, it still showed up on my final closing papers. It might take a while to get the money back, but as far as the other money that was owed to me, it came in promptly. My home was appraised for $10,000 less than we thought it would be, so I didn't get much back. They paid my house insurance for a year to make sure it was paid. Everything worked out okay.

My experience with Liberty Home Equity Solutions was wonderful. I have dealt with them first in 2014 and did a refinance with them recently. They were extremely responsive during the original loan and the refinance. I would say even more so on the second time. They kept an eye on everything and making sure everything is done and they call me when something needed to be done. They were just excellent both on the phone and then in e-mail. I got a very nice deal. I do not have to pay for the reappraisal and we've got some refunds too. They had the perfect service. They were very proactive and have a great deal of patience with me who knows very little about finance. I also felt comfortable knowing that this was all FHA-regulated.

I had recently acquired a home in Florida which my sister and I co-owned and then she signed it over to me. I needed the additional income because I’m retired now and I’m living beyond my means. The reverse mortgage with Liberty Home Equity Solutions allows me to have income that I keep each month so I don’t have to dip further and further into savings. I am a conservative shopper so I went online and looked at ratings of different organizations. I called eight of them and I asked several questions to try and compare rates. I asked, “If I died in two years, how much would the equity of my home if it was worth this would come to my heirs at that point?” I also asked them if I wanted to take everything as a monthly payment, how much it would be, for how many years and how much money I can get to see me through until I was 80 years old.

I appraised each company based on the answers that I was given. I also rated them based on how promptly they got back to me with the information that I had requested and whether they actually answered my questions or tried to use a sales pitch. Ron, the loan officer from Liberty, did an excellent job. He answered all my questions and was prompt in getting back to me. He got things done when he said he would. I’m a numbers guy and I know what numbers he’s working with and Ron gave me the honest information to evaluate. Some of the companies didn’t want to answer that question for me. That turned me off because I wanted to have exact comparison points and Liberty is one of the three that gave me an answer.

At the end, we had a few stumbles and Ron was the one who called me back and picked it up and made sure that things got done when needed. There was another fellow that was not as helpful. After I had invested money in getting the house appraised and in taking the training on the reverse mortgage, he wasn’t too eager to make sure that my things got done and I didn’t like that. Ron realized that there was a problem and he took care of it and we were able to work things out, get it done in a timely fashion. I had to do some family travels so it was important to get it done quickly. We got it done within the one-month window that he had promised me to get it done.

I had tried a different reverse mortgage and I wasn't too happy with the results. I called Liberty and got a young man who took care of us very nicely. Their level of knowledge was very good and I'd recommend them.

Having a reverse mortgage let us have money in our hands and we wouldn’t have to do the payments or pay the taxes. Also, the house would be paid for if something would happen to me and my wife is to have the house or vice versa. We chose to go with Liberty about the reverse mortgage and I felt comfortable with the loan officer as he was very approachable and easy to talk with. He explained everything to us. We didn’t have to go anywhere because he came to our house. He kept us abreast of what was going on and went through all the steps with us. He was patient, knowledgeable and thorough to all the little details. So that was pretty good. Overall, it was an excellent and outstanding experience.

I decided to get a reverse mortgage because I don’t have to pay it back right away. Liberty had a package and they had a loan officer come to my house and explained everything to me. Those are the advantages they have over other companies. We talked about different options and whatever questions I had, he answered it plentiful. He was very friendly too. The process took a little long, though, but overall, it was a pleasant experience.

A friend of mine was friends with Linda who does the reverse mortgages at Liberty Home Equity Solutions. Linda explained that a reverse mortgage was very beneficial to the buyer. I'm by myself and I don’t have any heirs or children, so it was the right thing to do. Linda was very knowledgeable, quick to respond and very helpful. She was at my house three times and she explained things to me and my stepson. She also let my stepson know when she was going to be here.

We wanted to try to travel a little bit and we had some reserves, but they're not enough to do what we really want to do. When my husband was on the internet looking at different mortgage companies, Liberty Home Equity Solutions was the only one that gave my husband a quote. He also said he felt that they were being forward and upfront. We worked with Liz in California and she was fantastic. We called her a couple of times about other questions and she was very helpful.

Also, the gentleman that came out from the loan company and did the paperwork was very nice. They explained everything to us, asked us different questions and we were able to answer them. So, they said we passed the test. Liberty calls every now and then to see if we've done any of the repairs. I told them that we had taken care of one of them but we had two more to go and so they asked me to call them when those got done so they could send the inspector back out. Other than that, we're quite satisfied with our experience.

A reverse mortgage made the most sense in our particular situation and our experience with Liberty was all good. I was especially impressed with our loan officer, David. He jumped through hoops for us so I appreciated that. He did a good job of educating us on what the process was all about and keeping us abreast of all the paperwork and everything we needed to do. It all worked out beautifully and I am very satisfied.

We're happy with Liberty Home Equity Solutions. They were good. I applied for a reverse mortgage because I thought it would be good for us. I preferred Liberty Home Equity Solutions because they were straightforward and I like them. Reggie, the loan officer, was straightforward and very honest. He did whatever he said. I would deal with him again.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My husband passed away and I'm by myself now. I can't afford and don't have much income so I decided to get a reverse mortgage with Liberty. I heard that it is a really nice and dependable company. When I got my loan approved, everybody was fine in helping me with everything.

I first learned about Liberty Home Equity Solutions on my internet. They're very professional and helpful. The guidance I received in making my reverse mortgage decision was excellent and they always bend over backwards to help me. I had a good experience with them.

My mother told me she had done a reverse mortgage and it was a good experience for her. The mortgage helped her a lot so I decided to do it myself. I went online and Liberty was the first one that came up so I called them. As soon as I started speaking with someone, they were very kind and very understanding of what I had gone through. I had another lender before but that wasn’t a good experience so I had to find someone else. I felt comfortable with Liberty and decided to go with them.

They asked several questions to clarify things and whenever they ask for some documents, I made sure I got it to them right away. The process went really smooth and it didn’t take long since they were upfront with me the whole time. Also, we were done in about three weeks. Overall, I feel good about the reverse mortgage because it's one of the best decisions my husband and I made. Liberty has great service, good people to work with and competent people.

I am a Senior person. The driver I had told me that he got a new reverse mortgage on his house and I said I was thinking about redoing mine. He gave me John’s name and another person. I called the other person because my driver said that he has a better rate than John's but I didn't like his tone and I couldn't stand to talk to him. It wasn’t going to work. I got a quote from him for certain things. Then, I called John who was a hundred percent better. I was so happy. What a relief.

John and I spoke, we saw each other and then he gave me a list of the things he needed. And then, even while he was here, I got half of it. He helped me do it and then, everything that I gave him, he made sure I got it back with copies. He was thorough with everything and I didn't have to call him for anything. He was very professional, kind, nice and caring. I'm totally satisfied with Liberty. I'm saving so much money and they gave me a better rate and so, anybody who needs as a senior citizen, I'll tell them about it.

The program that Liberty Home Equity Solutions offered which was the general closing course was very appealing. The loan officer was very helpful. I have nothing to complain about him. He was also very good and reasonably knowledgeable about the whole thing. It was a very positive experience. The entire thing went very well and smoothly. We were out of state and they worked it out and they were very cooperative.

I’m 74 years old and I wanted to have a product that will help me save cash. I have a home that I have to keep up. I love my house and wanted to take care of it. Also, I want my money to accrue in savings. I still work and every time I get up to $15,000 or more, then $5,000 would have to be used to do repairs on the house. I don’t want to leave this house so the reverse mortgage helps me stay here.

I was an escrow officer for four years and I did a lot of reverse mortgage closings. At that time, the reverse mortgages were to keep people from starving. It was a totally different mechanism and it was simply people who were sitting in paid-for homes with nothing to eat. Well, that’s changed. A reverse mortgage is a financial vehicle now, where people aren’t quitting work at 65 anymore and if they own a home, they can’t let people degrade their homes but then the cost of keeping up a home can be a lot. My house is 45 years old. I have two 45-year-old bathrooms that need to be upgraded and that would take a lot of money.

I had talked to other companies but they just sent me packages of things. However, with Liberty, I very much like the man that came out and sat down with me. We went over all the paperwork and the options that I had. His name is Larry and he was very clear. He didn't give me any pressure. I stopped looking at other lenders after that. I felt like I was in the right place. He visited several times and was very knowledgeable and patient. There were four loan programs and he laid out what I thought was the best loan program for me. He got exactly what my intention was and absolutely understood my purpose for getting a reverse mortgage. Overall, I had a great experience with Liberty.

Reverse mortgage was the easiest to use. I did it with Liberty and everything went fine. Their mortgage professionals did a very good job. Getting a reverse mortgage line of credit cured some stress that I had.

The people I talked to at Liberty seemed knowledgeable and friendly. So, I decided to not bother to shop around. I didn’t want to have to keep paying a mortgage, and then, find that I might have to have some repairs to the house so I just went ahead and got it. The loan officer was Linda and she was just great. She followed up and explained everything. And she had wonderful patience. Overall, satisfaction guaranteed.

My son didn't want the house, so I thought I'd do a reverse mortgage on it and accumulate a little money. Liberty Home Equity Solutions was easy to work with and they have all the information I needed. Their rep was very friendly, helpful, and was there every time I called him. Everybody I dealt with was very courteous and were quite knowledgeable as well. I started sometime last year. My interest has gone up so damn high and Pharmaceuticals are going up as well, and so I can use that money now to buy a part of my pharmaceuticals with. My experience with Liberty has been very satisfactory and I would recommend them to a friend.

Liberty Home Equity Solutions, Inc. Company Profile