3.97/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Taste of the Wild provides a wide variety of quality wet & dry food options for dogs & cats. Taste of the Wild understand the importance of feeding quality food to your pets, which is why we are committed to strict quality and safety standards. Contact us today or visit our website to find out more about our products and where you can find them!

1186 Taste of the Wild Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 30, 2019

We like Taste of the Wild. We've been using them for about seven months now, and it’s the only food my dogs would eat. I have a Cane Corso that I rescued and I have an English mastiff-Australian Shepherd mix. I feed them the bison and they like it. Their coat is extremely shiny, too.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I have a Min Pin and a pit mix, and both of them are 11. I used to be on a different food and then I switched them over to Taste of the Wild because it’s healthier for them. The ones they were using were kibbles, which is the worst that you could give them. I've been using Taste of the Wild for six months now and for the most part, I noticed that my dogs tend to get more energy and not lethargic. They actually get up and do stuff. My experience with Taste of the Wild has been great. I stuck to it after I switched and so far, my dogs have been doing good. I recommend Taste of the Wild to my friends all the time.

Original review: July 28, 2019

We have four dogs - a Standard Poodle, a little Pocket Pug, an American Staffordshire Terrier and we just had the little Rottweiler. We liked the more natural food so we went with Taste of the Wild and I’ve been using them for a long time now. So far, my dogs are fat and healthy. I like their rewards program too, the “Buy 10, get one free.” I usually go through two bags a month on average. My experience with Taste of the Wild has been good and we always recommend them.

Original review: July 22, 2019

Decided to try this brand but what a mistake that was! I have a 15 week old miniature Australian shepherd. I fed this to him a couple of times but found that he wasn't very interested. I mixed it with his other food thinking that it would make the switch easier. I noticed that his poops were softer when I mixed it but thought maybe it was just the transition. Once I went to only this brand, (today) he was throwing up within 20 minutes after eating. About 6 hours later I decided to try it again to see how he would do. I gave him less than an 1/8th of a cup but again, within 20 minutes he was throwing up. No thanks! The entire bag went in the garbage.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I have been buying TOTW High Prairie for my 8y lab since he was 6mo old. He was diagnosed with Diabetes Insipidus earlier this year. I know heavy metal can cause DI in humans; therefore, I am starting to think that this rare disease could be linked to this food. OFFICIALLY switching. Very disappointed that I have paid all this money to have great quality food when in fact it is very poor quality.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Original review: July 6, 2019

I have fed Sierra Mountain for years, so this was not a change of diet issue. About 2 months ago, my dogs started developing bouts of florid diarrhea. I have had to make multiple trips to the Vet and each had 2 courses of **. But then they would get sick again once off of the **. Within 30 hours of switching to another brand of dog food, the diarrhea stopped and has not returned. I strongly feel it was the Sierra Mountain that made my dogs ill. And the illness spanned 2 different bags of food, so this wasn’t an issue with just 1 bag. Between this experience and now learning about the possible link to dilated cardiomyopathy, I would discourage people from feeding this to their pets.

Original review: July 2, 2019

Read the FDA article that was released and saw that Taste of the Wild is third on the list. I called the company to see what they have done to prove this report wrong. I wanted facts. They were rude. I’ve been buying this dog food for years believing I was buying the best quality dog food and I was talked to like I shouldn’t be concerned. Having rude customer service on the situation is making your company look even worse. I don’t see the FDA putting this information out there for nothing. Convince us why we shouldn’t switch to a different brand!

Dillon,

I am so sorry to hear that. I will email you. To date, the FDA still has not found any science-based causes to link grain-free diets — including Taste of the Wild — to DCM. As they note, it is a complex issue with numerous factors to consider, such as breeds that have a genetic predisposition for developing DCM. We continue to monitor this issue closely and support ongoing research efforts. Since the FDA’s initial DCM report was released in 2018, more than 14 million bags of Taste of the Wild dog food were produced and sold in the United States. While 53 is a small number of incidences in comparison to the number of dogs eating Taste of the Wild, we do not want to minimize what the affected dogs and their pet parents have experienced. Our top priority is, and always will be, to provide pets with quality, safe food that meets all federal and state regulatory guidelines.

Original review: June 30, 2019

We've fed our girl TOTWHP for many years. She seems to enjoy the food and we've seen no adverse results. A recent news article sited TOTW as the third most often dog food for incidents of Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy (heart failure in dogs). The frequency seems to be greater in large breeds. Is there a good read to dispel the food and source genetic attributes as the culprit?

Hi Mike,
Thanks for posting. It's a frustrating time for both pet parents and pet food manufacturers. Our goal as it always has been is to produce the best safest food possible for pets.Publishing the names of 16 pet food brands that have been anecdotally connected with cases of DCM, without significant weight behind those claims, is misleading to the general public and could undermine a general understanding of the disease itself.

The fact is, the FDA has found no concrete evidence that any pet food is causing DCM. It has only gathered information on what food brands were fed to pets that were diagnosed with the disease. As Steve M. Solomen, D.V.M., M.P.H., director of the FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine, even said, “...we have not yet determined the nature of this potential correlation between dog food and DCM”

Original review: June 30, 2019

We buy the expensive pet foods to protect our beloved pets from the nasty ingredients of grocery store pet foods. Now the FDA warns against Taste Of The Wild because it could give our dogs heart disease? What food (pet OR human) companies can we trust in the US? Seems very few to none. There are 2 other expensive, supposedly great-quality, pet-food-companies also on this FDA warning list. Can't believe, we've paid top dollar only to destroy our dog's health, anyway. Makes me sick. Shame on Taste Of The Wild.

Taste of the Wild response
It is important to note that the FDA is acknowledging that DCM a complex issue with numerous factors to consider, such as breeds that have a genetic predisposition for developing DCM. While they are informing us that grain free diets have been fed to affected dogs, in no way are they saying grain-free diets cause DCM. The FDA (and all other researchers) have not found any science-based causes to link grain-free diets — including Taste of the Wild — to DCM.

Original review: June 25, 2019

My 13-year old dog was on Taste of the Wild dog food before I had to change it because she’s got pancreatitis. So, she’s on a special dog food that’s on that. But I fed her Taste of the Wild for five years. My groomer was the one that recommended it to me. She did a lot of research on them. I was stuck with the chicken or the salmon flavor and she seemed to like it.

Taste of the Wild Company Information