2. Pets

Science Diet

Science Diet
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.81/5

Science Diet Reviews

Original review: July 4, 2019

I rescued a black Lab back in March. He was having issues with digestion and my vet wrote a prescription for the Hills Science Diet i/d Digestive Care Dog Food. I purchased a 8.5 pound bag of the dry dog food at my vet's clinic. He ate the food for two weeks and had significant approval in his bowel movements and he appeared to be feeling better and having more energy.

Recently I ordered a large bag from Chewy.com and fed him from this bag. After two meals my dog began to shake and tremble uncontrollably and appeared to be terrified. This went on for 5 days over a holiday weekend. He would not leave his cage nor go outside to relieve himself. I took him to the vet and she prescribed anxiety medication. Nothing changed. I kept suspecting something was wrong with the i/d bag of food I received from Chewy.com. I went to the vet and purchased a 8.5 bag and after just two feeding he was back to normal.

After consulting with my vet I contacted Hills Customer Service. They advised me they would have Chewy.com refund my purchase and that they would send me coupons in the mail. To this date I only received an email survey from Hills on how my complaint was handled and I received two five dollar coupons. That's it! No apology letter, no follow up, no concern of how that food made my dog so ill. I am considering have the food analyzed by a lab. Please be aware. I would not want another dog and family to suffer like we did. This all occurred in June 2019.

Original review: July 1, 2019

After using Hill's Science Diet for 20 years for both my cats & dogs, I am appalled to learn that they outsourced production of portions of their product to China. Many pets died as a result of their greed. What concerns me also is that this product was recommended to me by my veterinarian. I gladly paid a premium for a product that I thought would be the best for my pets health.

The fact that commercial dog manufacturers have overlooked is that pet owners do not think of their pets as disposable. We value them as much as our own family/children. Because of Hill's negligence in maintaining strict quality standards in directly overseeing the production of their products, I AM BOWING OUT OF ALL COMMERCIAL DOG FOODS FOREVER. I have educated myself and will continue to do so in order to prepare a nutritionally balanced diet in my own home! YOU HAVE ALL BETRAYED MY TRUST!

Original review: June 14, 2019

My family has had our cats on Science Diet from the start cause my 2 family members work at a vet clinic and get Science Diet at a low cost and my cat was the first to go and he died, no sorry. He suffocated because of a mysterious liquid filled his lungs and killed him and the vet had no clue why he had fluid in his lungs and then the next cat died with a mysterious illness and the next and the next and I never put two and two together that it was the food until I heard a podcast about how bad the food was and it now makes sense that that food will NEVER be given to my now dog and cat.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I have been feeding my dogs and cats Science Diet dry food for a couple of months. The last 2 days my dogs started vomiting undigested food. I thought maybe she didn’t feel good. Now my cat started doing the same thing this morning. I will not be buying any more food from this company!

Original review: May 11, 2019

I cured my cat of diabetes after learning I was feeding him the wrong food. Went on grain free diet and glucose dropped to around the 120's. It was approximately 500. Started him on the W/D because of weight issues and because it was basically grain free. Recently had his teeth cleaned and saw the glucose was over 200??? Looked at the can again and lo and behold there is wheat flour as 7th ingredient. Called Hills and they said the recipe was "upgraded" with wheat flour as of October 2018!!! Upgraded!!!! Cats don't need GLUTEN!!! DO NOT BUY! I have had other issues with Science Diet and have already reviewed another product. It makes me angry that Vets take a kick back from the sales. What are you going to do as one still needs a Vet. I love my local Vet, still makes me angry.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.?

Original review: April 19, 2019

Over Christmas holidays I noticed my 9 year old Yorkie was drinking copious amounts of water, peeing almost clear, losing weight and some vomiting. Took her to vet who initially misdiagnosed UTI. Not satisfied with the diagnosis I took her back 2 days later and found she was unexpectedly in kidney failure. We had no idea what happened only to find a month later that the ID Science Diet food was recalled. Now here at Easter she is still having kidney troubles and has been hospitalized twice. They need to be held accountable for their lack of testing the products they sell or they need to go into a different line of work.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I was recommended by the vet to use Science Diet when I rescued the two little dogs. I have tried changing it a few times but the dogs seem to like it much better than Blue Buffalo. They have the food down and eat whenever they are hungry. I don't trust any company with really being a good product for your dog because they are not required to. Wet food upsets my little ones and so I don't use any of it because I have tried them all. Because I know they are trying to make the shelf life very long so they can ship and forget it.

Original review: April 14, 2019

This is the brand recommended by my vet. We get it at PetSmart, which is fun as the dog like the outing to get it. My dog is old and small and their Small Paws adult is perfect. It comes in a small enough bag, so it doesn't get stale before we use it all.

Original review: April 13, 2019

He seems to prefer Science Diet, and there is less waste in the yard. It is a tad expensive, but the elimination of effort in picking up after him makes it worthwhile.

Original review: April 12, 2019

The food was over processed, had very poor available protein, and because it was sold by a vet, was very expensive. Convinced by the greedy vet we stupidly bought the stuff for years, until our Pekinese dogs developed kidney problems and obesity. We put the dogs on homemade organic foods - mostly whole rabbit meat and within months they were much better. However, the damage had been done and they both died within days of each other. I will never trust a vet or Science Diet again.

Science Diet Company Information

Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.
        www.hillspet.com