2. Pets

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Science Diet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Science Diet?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.?

Original review: July 1, 2019

After using Hill's Science Diet for 20 years for both my cats & dogs, I am appalled to learn that they outsourced production of portions of their product to China. Many pets died as a result of their greed. What concerns me also is that this product was recommended to me by my veterinarian. I gladly paid a premium for a product that I thought would be the best for my pets health.

The fact that commercial dog manufacturers have overlooked is that pet owners do not think of their pets as disposable. We value them as much as our own family/children. Because of Hill's negligence in maintaining strict quality standards in directly overseeing the production of their products, I AM BOWING OUT OF ALL COMMERCIAL DOG FOODS FOREVER. I have educated myself and will continue to do so in order to prepare a nutritionally balanced diet in my own home! YOU HAVE ALL BETRAYED MY TRUST!

Original review: June 14, 2019

My family has had our cats on Science Diet from the start cause my 2 family members work at a vet clinic and get Science Diet at a low cost and my cat was the first to go and he died, no sorry. He suffocated because of a mysterious liquid filled his lungs and killed him and the vet had no clue why he had fluid in his lungs and then the next cat died with a mysterious illness and the next and the next and I never put two and two together that it was the food until I heard a podcast about how bad the food was and it now makes sense that that food will NEVER be given to my now dog and cat.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I have been feeding my dogs and cats Science Diet dry food for a couple of months. The last 2 days my dogs started vomiting undigested food. I thought maybe she didn’t feel good. Now my cat started doing the same thing this morning. I will not be buying any more food from this company!

Original review: May 11, 2019

I cured my cat of diabetes after learning I was feeding him the wrong food. Went on grain free diet and glucose dropped to around the 120's. It was approximately 500. Started him on the W/D because of weight issues and because it was basically grain free. Recently had his teeth cleaned and saw the glucose was over 200??? Looked at the can again and lo and behold there is wheat flour as 7th ingredient. Called Hills and they said the recipe was "upgraded" with wheat flour as of October 2018!!! Upgraded!!!! Cats don't need GLUTEN!!! DO NOT BUY! I have had other issues with Science Diet and have already reviewed another product. It makes me angry that Vets take a kick back from the sales. What are you going to do as one still needs a Vet. I love my local Vet, still makes me angry.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I have had cats for 30 years. Early on I thought it was crazy to purchase one of the high priced foods. But when we were stationed in the Philippines we adopted a Filipino kitten (we already had a 3 year old cat). The kitten was scrawny and bony, and had coarse, wiry hair. I found out those were typical features of those cats. One day as I was leaving the veterinarian on base I saw the vets interacting with some stray cats outside. They were beautiful, soft and healthy looking. I assumed they were not Filipino cats but the vets told me yes they were Filipino cats. I asked why they looked so healthy and they told me it was because they fed them Science Diet. I immediately switched my cats to SD and sure enough, the Filipino cat quickly became beautiful, healthy, and softer than ever. Our other cat improved on it as well.

I don’t know how long the Filipino cat lived because my ex-husband got custody of her, but my other cat lived to be 18. Meanwhile I adopted a stray cat that was estimated to be 5-10 years old. She already had Feline Leukemia. I had her for 15 years, meaning she lived to be roughly 20-25 years old, even with the Feline leukemia. She was never sick in all those years, until the day before she died but I knew it was her time to go. My vet was always amazed by her. I fed her SD the entire time I had her.

I have moved numerous times over the years, and therefore had to switch vets as many times. I have asked each vet about the SD, as I had always heard some unfavorable things about it. Every single vet has told me that SD is a great food, and that ALL of the foods have fillers but SD is the only one that discloses it on their label. Three years ago I adopted a dog (approximately 8 years old). I had her fully checked out by my vet and she had no health issues whatsoever. I decided to listen to all the pop culture stuff about the pet foods, so I put her on Blue Buffalo grain free.

Within 6 months of feeding her the Blue Buffalo she rapidly became 10 lbs overweight! I was feeding her less than the daily recommended amount. I switched her 4 or 5 times over the next year or so to various weight management foods. She didn’t like most of them, and didn’t lose any weight at all. I finally relented and switched her to SD Perfect Weight and she has lost 6 pounds over 6 months. She loves the food, and remarkably, about 2 weeks after switching, her energy level had noticeably increased and she seemed happier. She is now about 11 years old.

Oh, and one more thing. The manager at our local Petsmart told me several months ago that Science Diet had been bought by Mars candy bar company. That FALSE info delayed my switch back to SD. Fortunately I mentioned that to my vet who told me that was false and supported my switch. Bottom line....I think I’m going to stick with Science Diet.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Over Christmas holidays I noticed my 9 year old Yorkie was drinking copious amounts of water, peeing almost clear, losing weight and some vomiting. Took her to vet who initially misdiagnosed UTI. Not satisfied with the diagnosis I took her back 2 days later and found she was unexpectedly in kidney failure. We had no idea what happened only to find a month later that the ID Science Diet food was recalled. Now here at Easter she is still having kidney troubles and has been hospitalized twice. They need to be held accountable for their lack of testing the products they sell or they need to go into a different line of work.

Original review: April 17, 2019

If you only feed the same Science Diet and don't add table food or treats, the dog's poop is not as strong smelling as from feeding other brands. Have used it for 34 years and every dog we've rescued has been given the same food. None of the dog's have ever had food or allergy issues or stomach problems. The dog(s) seem to eat only enough until they are satisfied and not overeat.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I was recommended by the vet to use Science Diet when I rescued the two little dogs. I have tried changing it a few times but the dogs seem to like it much better than Blue Buffalo. They have the food down and eat whenever they are hungry. I don't trust any company with really being a good product for your dog because they are not required to. Wet food upsets my little ones and so I don't use any of it because I have tried them all. Because I know they are trying to make the shelf life very long so they can ship and forget it.

Original review: April 14, 2019

This is the brand recommended by my vet. We get it at PetSmart, which is fun as the dog like the outing to get it. My dog is old and small and their Small Paws adult is perfect. It comes in a small enough bag, so it doesn't get stale before we use it all.

Original review: April 13, 2019

He seems to prefer Science Diet, and there is less waste in the yard. It is a tad expensive, but the elimination of effort in picking up after him makes it worthwhile.

Science Diet Company Information

Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.
    www.hillspet.com