Science Diet
2.90/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Science Diet

Looking for a good dog food brand?

424 Science Diet Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 19, 2019

I have had cats for 30 years. Early on I thought it was crazy to purchase one of the high priced foods. But when we were stationed in the Philippines we adopted a Filipino kitten (we already had a 3 year old cat). The kitten was scrawny and bony, and had coarse, wiry hair. I found out those were typical features of those cats. One day as I was leaving the veterinarian on base I saw the vets interacting with some stray cats outside. They were beautiful, soft and healthy looking. I assumed they were not Filipino cats but the vets told me yes they were Filipino cats. I asked why they looked so healthy and they told me it was because they fed them Science Diet. I immediately switched my cats to SD and sure enough, the Filipino cat quickly became beautiful, healthy, and softer than ever. Our other cat improved on it as well.

I don’t know how long the Filipino cat lived because my ex-husband got custody of her, but my other cat lived to be 18. Meanwhile I adopted a stray cat that was estimated to be 5-10 years old. She already had Feline Leukemia. I had her for 15 years, meaning she lived to be roughly 20-25 years old, even with the Feline leukemia. She was never sick in all those years, until the day before she died but I knew it was her time to go. My vet was always amazed by her. I fed her SD the entire time I had her.

I have moved numerous times over the years, and therefore had to switch vets as many times. I have asked each vet about the SD, as I had always heard some unfavorable things about it. Every single vet has told me that SD is a great food, and that ALL of the foods have fillers but SD is the only one that discloses it on their label. Three years ago I adopted a dog (approximately 8 years old). I had her fully checked out by my vet and she had no health issues whatsoever. I decided to listen to all the pop culture stuff about the pet foods, so I put her on Blue Buffalo grain free.

Within 6 months of feeding her the Blue Buffalo she rapidly became 10 lbs overweight! I was feeding her less than the daily recommended amount. I switched her 4 or 5 times over the next year or so to various weight management foods. She didn’t like most of them, and didn’t lose any weight at all. I finally relented and switched her to SD Perfect Weight and she has lost 6 pounds over 6 months. She loves the food, and remarkably, about 2 weeks after switching, her energy level had noticeably increased and she seemed happier. She is now about 11 years old.

Oh, and one more thing. The manager at our local Petsmart told me several months ago that Science Diet had been bought by Mars candy bar company. That FALSE info delayed my switch back to SD. Fortunately I mentioned that to my vet who told me that was false and supported my switch. Bottom line....I think I’m going to stick with Science Diet.

Original review: April 17, 2019

If you only feed the same Science Diet and don't add table food or treats, the dog's poop is not as strong smelling as from feeding other brands. Have used it for 34 years and every dog we've rescued has been given the same food. None of the dog's have ever had food or allergy issues or stomach problems. The dog(s) seem to eat only enough until they are satisfied and not overeat.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Hill's wet and dry lamb and rice and senior foods - I have been feeding Hill's to my dogs and cats since I was a kid. Presently, it’s the only food that doesn’t make my dog sick with diarrhea and vomiting. She also has terrible food allergies that present themselves as hives and hot spots. I fed Hill's lamb and rice until she needed the senior food and I still do not have any issues. I did get a few cans of the recall food. I know she must have eaten at least a couple. Thankfully she made it through. She’s ok and still on Hill's and doing well at 12. Most people that meet her assume she is far younger than she is. That says a lot for the brand.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I have fed Science Diet for 16 years with no problems what-so-ever. They never had gas issues and their poo didn't stink. I lost my 17yr old Yorkie, Izzy, this year. I got her as a rescue, literally on death's door. She lived a wonderful, healthy, happy and loved life. I also lost my 11yr old Boxer, Wesley, this year. WHAT A HAPPY LIFE that MAN lived!! I miss him beyond words. I still have my 16yr old, Jolie, although blind and losing teeth... Otherwise healthy. She has never cared for wet food so the tiny bites are perfect for her tiny mouth and lack of teeth.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

My Saint Shepherd puppy does well with this food. I buy her the Large Breed Puppy type and mix it in with cheaper sweet potato/pumpkin puppy food, usually from Nutro or Nature's Way. She's gaining weight and size steadily with no issues and she gobbles it up. When I rescued her she was on an adult Iams dog food diet and it was causing her vomiting and diarrhea. Didn't help that she had hookworm either. Since being on this food with the high fiber food mix she has stopped vomiting and no more explosive diarrhea.

When I go to rebuy the food, I do get asked if it's any good from the ladies at the counter. I guess since a lot of people have complained about it. But unless I see some change in her I'll keep her on the puppy food. I feel like all dogs react differently to different foods and no food is perfect. Monitor your animal's reaction to it before committing to a brand. Buy a small bag and let them eat it for a week before making a decision if it's right for your pet.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.?

Original review: June 14, 2019

My family has had our cats on Science Diet from the start cause my 2 family members work at a vet clinic and get Science Diet at a low cost and my cat was the first to go and he died, no sorry. He suffocated because of a mysterious liquid filled his lungs and killed him and the vet had no clue why he had fluid in his lungs and then the next cat died with a mysterious illness and the next and the next and I never put two and two together that it was the food until I heard a podcast about how bad the food was and it now makes sense that that food will NEVER be given to my now dog and cat.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I have been feeding my dogs and cats Science Diet dry food for a couple of months. The last 2 days my dogs started vomiting undigested food. I thought maybe she didn’t feel good. Now my cat started doing the same thing this morning. I will not be buying any more food from this company!

Original review: May 11, 2019

I cured my cat of diabetes after learning I was feeding him the wrong food. Went on grain free diet and glucose dropped to around the 120's. It was approximately 500. Started him on the W/D because of weight issues and because it was basically grain free. Recently had his teeth cleaned and saw the glucose was over 200??? Looked at the can again and lo and behold there is wheat flour as 7th ingredient. Called Hills and they said the recipe was "upgraded" with wheat flour as of October 2018!!! Upgraded!!!! Cats don't need GLUTEN!!! DO NOT BUY! I have had other issues with Science Diet and have already reviewed another product. It makes me angry that Vets take a kick back from the sales. What are you going to do as one still needs a Vet. I love my local Vet, still makes me angry.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Over Christmas holidays I noticed my 9 year old Yorkie was drinking copious amounts of water, peeing almost clear, losing weight and some vomiting. Took her to vet who initially misdiagnosed UTI. Not satisfied with the diagnosis I took her back 2 days later and found she was unexpectedly in kidney failure. We had no idea what happened only to find a month later that the ID Science Diet food was recalled. Now here at Easter she is still having kidney troubles and has been hospitalized twice. They need to be held accountable for their lack of testing the products they sell or they need to go into a different line of work.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I was recommended by the vet to use Science Diet when I rescued the two little dogs. I have tried changing it a few times but the dogs seem to like it much better than Blue Buffalo. They have the food down and eat whenever they are hungry. I don't trust any company with really being a good product for your dog because they are not required to. Wet food upsets my little ones and so I don't use any of it because I have tried them all. Because I know they are trying to make the shelf life very long so they can ship and forget it.

Original review: April 14, 2019

This is the brand recommended by my vet. We get it at PetSmart, which is fun as the dog like the outing to get it. My dog is old and small and their Small Paws adult is perfect. It comes in a small enough bag, so it doesn't get stale before we use it all.

Original review: April 13, 2019

He seems to prefer Science Diet, and there is less waste in the yard. It is a tad expensive, but the elimination of effort in picking up after him makes it worthwhile.

Original review: April 12, 2019

The food was over processed, had very poor available protein, and because it was sold by a vet, was very expensive. Convinced by the greedy vet we stupidly bought the stuff for years, until our Pekinese dogs developed kidney problems and obesity. We put the dogs on homemade organic foods - mostly whole rabbit meat and within months they were much better. However, the damage had been done and they both died within days of each other. I will never trust a vet or Science Diet again.

Original review: April 11, 2019

We buy ours from Chewy.com and it arrives overnight. Our three dogs love it, one is a Cocker Spaniel mix, the other is a Chihuahua and the third is a Papillon mix. We buy the small dog mix. The vet also recommends it.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Kidney specific food has been a game changer for my older dog. He is having less issues (peeing in the house) and really enjoys the taste of the food (Science Diet) - he inhales it. Great product.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Purchased through the vet office so it is easy to get although more expensive. Not available through any retail outlets locally. Special urinary tract formula. Dog has had two urinary tract infections but none since she has been put on the SCIENCE Diet formula.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I get my Science Diet dog food from my Veterinarian. I have tried other brands from the market and he doesn't like it/them. It's expensive but it's worth it. I have recommended Science Diet to friends with dogs.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Our Bichon eats her bowl every night and she maintains the same weight 13 pounds. She is frisky and she is 14 years old. His smart, protective, LOVING, plays and opens our bed for every night. Bark and very strong, fearful bark "Don't go," when I leave, and then I get a bark, "Like where have you been??" She is very healthy.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Our dog had digestion issues with another good quality food, so we tried another brand. The issues continued, so we then switched to another quality food brand and the issues still continued. Finally we switched to Science Diet and his issues went away.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I have used Science Diet for my 4 rescues dogs, over the last 37 years. All of them lived to their life expectancy, although most to cancer. So not sure if their food is good for them, but they did seem to like it. I believe it's a decent value & haven't heard that they have had any contamination concerns.

Original review: April 3, 2019

My dog is on a prescription diet of venison or fish only and we are on auto ship with this food. He was highly allergic to any dog food with a bird base and was sick the first 4 years of his life. UC Davis animal hospital figured it out and he has been great ever since.

Original review: March 26, 2019

My dog had an upset stomach and had been throwing up. After a trip to the vet, I was given anti-nausea medication and Science Diet Digestive Care i/d with Turkey because it was supposed to be easy on his stomach. The nausea medication was supposed to be strong and vomiting unlikely, but he kept throwing up. He was taken to emergency care where an ultrasound was performed and nothing was found that was concerning. After returning home, he puked another time and in looking into what hospitalizing a pet involves, I found the notice of the recall. My cans were of the right SKU of the recalled product, but not the correct lot number. I stopped feeding him this product and went back to his normal food before he was ill, and he's kept it down. I believe the recall is broader than the lots currently listed on the site. I will be very reluctant to use this brand again as it would seem I've been accidentally prolonging my dog's symptoms by using it.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Tragically my Pomeranian, Mr Bojangles is positively a victim of their recall. :( He was put on Hill's Prescription Diet I/D in October because of tummy troubles. He ate 4 affected cases. Had severe diarrhea, vomiting and, at least, two seizures. Copious drinking. Pretty much stopped eating no matter what we offered. He died in my arms January 21st, 2019. When I heard of the recall, I contacted my Vet to see if the cases he ate were part of the recall. They checked their records and found they received a shipment of the affected food in September. Bo started eating it in October.

The Vet called Hill's, who confirmed. I contacted Hill's. Finally spoke to a Lisa on the 8th, who was very sorry for my loss. She spoke to her supervisor and then said that they would cover his vet bills. She would send a packet for me to fill out. And... No surprise... I've received nothing. I miss Bo. They can't bring him back but he never should have died! I'm really unsure where to turn now.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I lost my two Shih Tzus who developed Pancreatitis while eating WD Rx Food. One died Christmas Morning and the other died January 30th. Their deaths were unnecessary. Hills must take responsibility.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I will never buy Science Diet dog food again. There was a recall recently that their food causes vitamin d poisoning. The recent recall days after my beloved angel died was heartbreaking. She was my friend and family for 15 years. We have been buying science diet Since she was a puppy. The vet recommended it then and even the vet we have now did too.

Angel suddenly became ill and the vet couldn’t figure out what was wrong. She had all the classic signs of vitamin d poisoning. She stopped eating, started pooping blood, and died in my arms 1/27/2019. I don’t believe all the food infected is listed on their site and that they knew earlier about the problem. They have called me back and didn’t have answers about testing cans of food still in my possession. Some cans had the same sku numbers but not lot numbers. It makes me feel so sick that I was feeding my sweet pookie poison. They wanted to send me coupons. Really!!!! Someone should sue.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My dog has been exhibiting symptoms of Vitamin D toxicity as described by their latest food recall, but the remaining can I have is not on the recall list. My concerns were dismissed by the customer service rep I spoke with. I will be filing a complaint with the FDA to ensure appropriate review is taken. Buyer beware, I will not be surprised if this recall expands.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

We have been feeding our cat Science Diet for Sensitive Stomach since day one. It was good for 5 years until about 18 months ago. The formula was changed for the worse. Our cat was losing his hair and had diarrhea. He also started to have blood in his stools. We switched the food to grain-free that we purchased from Natural Paws. Our cat stopped having diarrhea gradually and hair loss. What happened to the good formula that SD had for years??

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My dog just turned a year old Christmas Eve. She stopped eating her puppy large breed. So we switched it up and bought adult food and a different flavor. She’s not eating it. I feel something is going on with this brand.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

This food is poison plain and simple! My eight year old lab/beagle mix has always had weight and skin issues, grain free all the way. When our vet tech told us grain free was now classified as dangerous because of the recent heart disease link we agreed as a family to switch her over. All went well until we ran out of the old food and could no longer mix the old with the new. Her thirst has become unquenchable, she was leaking around the house (which we thought was a UTI) and I'm talking about puddles. My Dog is modest. She doesn't pee in the house, it just doesn't happen.

We bring her to the vet who also thinks it’s a UTI. Three days into medication we find a massive puddle on our living room couch, doctor tests her urine again, this time for diabetes (yes, she was mimicking all the symptoms) and no dice. Dr. gives us a list of options, Lyme Disease, Cushing's, and then finally the god awful 'C' word. Recommends we get her in for x-rays ASAP. 600.00$ later as well as more blood tests and nothing. They now recommend a deep tissue ultra-sound.

Fast forward to TONIGHT 12/25, CHRISTMAS DAY we walk into the living room and there's four spots ranging in size where she relieved herself, once again, doesn't smell like urine because of how diluted it is and how much she's been drinking. Never in her life has my dog been this thirsty. Now tomorrow she gets to go for an ultra-sound, though after plenty of research and reviews on her here it's clear that this food, and I use the word food lightly, because it's garbage more than anything. It seems like more and more dog owners are having the same issues. Almost 90$ a bag and it’s done nothing but make my dog sick. I'm terrified to see the side effects she'll have coming off of it. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst. This company should be thoroughly investigated into what's going into our dog’s food! Buyer beware!!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Updated on 02/01/2019: Science Diet just came out with a recall today 1/31/19 on their wet dog food. I'm glad I took my dogs off it when I did. This is such a horrible food and people have lost their dogs from getting so sick!

Original Review: This food is nothing but an expensive bag of CORN period! There is no nutritional value here. My 2 poms tried this. Because of recurrent UTIs and stones I reluctantly put them on it. Asked my vet if all 4 can go on it, so few months now later my Doxie was peeing in the house and drinking constantly. 300.00 later they thought he had water diabetes. Did all the testing. Now vet says may be too much sodium in the food. Put him back on old food which was Annamaet best food ever! Used it for 10 years. Expensive but worth it. Since my dogs been off it their coat is dull horrible so went to my guy at his store for recommendations for not using the old one but he said to use one with lower phosphate. It's the purple and black bag now, they were on the Aqualok. My dogs were still constantly hungry on C/D. Here's the deal the vets who sell it get a kickback on it.

Science Diet Company Information

Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.
      www.hillspet.com