Science Diet
2.54/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Science Diet

392 Science Diet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My puppy ate this product in less than a 24 hour time span. The product contains IRON OXIDE which is a RED DYE. My puppy had massive diarrhea. It was "BRICK RED" in color. I thought it was blood at first sight until I really examined it, and saw that, when smeared it was actually brown. After the first two stools, thereafter, all the stools were completely RED. The stool were also sticky & slimy. Absolutely disgusting.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

My 1 year old bulldog had been on Nutromax since we got him so he started to eat tired of it. The first night I noticed I mixed in the Science Diet large breed puppy food and he loved the taste. The next day he wouldn’t touch the Nutro so I just gave him the Science Diet. The next day his balls were cherry red and blistered and after dropping $300 at the vet (where they sell Science Diet) they let me know it was an allergic reaction and to never give it to him again. I’m not sure what it’s like for everyone but my experience was terrible!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I have been feeding my Yorkie and Maltese Science Diet for over two years vet recommended. I have been purchasing the food at the same Pet Supermarket. My recent purchase and it's my last came with worms. My dogs lick their paws a lot. I was told it might be food allergies due to the ingredients that is put into the Science Diet food. No longer buying Hill's Science Diet.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

My Saint Shepherd puppy does well with this food. I buy her the Large Breed Puppy type and mix it in with cheaper sweet potato/pumpkin puppy food, usually from Nutro or Nature's Way. She's gaining weight and size steadily with no issues and she gobbles it up. When I rescued her she was on an adult Iams dog food diet and it was causing her vomiting and diarrhea. Didn't help that she had hookworm either. Since being on this food with the high fiber food mix she has stopped vomiting and no more explosive diarrhea.

When I go to rebuy the food, I do get asked if it's any good from the ladies at the counter. I guess since a lot of people have complained about it. But unless I see some change in her I'll keep her on the puppy food. I feel like all dogs react differently to different foods and no food is perfect. Monitor your animal's reaction to it before committing to a brand. Buy a small bag and let them eat it for a week before making a decision if it's right for your pet.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Hill's Pet Nutrition - My two dogs have been eating this food for over a year. Suddenly today (just opened a new bag) even my very food motivated Puggle won't touch it! Wondering what they changed and will be finding a different food for them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

My two dogs have done extremely well with this food until just recently. They quit eating it altogether. I thought maybe just not hungry. So I mixed some of the good stuff (canned dog food) into it. They still did not eat it!!! Something is wrong with this food, whether the batch or what, I don't care. Petsmart has a policy of returning the food and that's exactly where I am going tomorrow. Good luck to all of you that haven't suffered any consequences due to this food. I'm not taking any chances. To those that already have, I am sorry :( for your loss.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

My cat wouldn't eat this stuff and I got her a variety of it I decided to mix in a little of the food she likes but it was too late. Within a few weeks she was dead. My heart is broken. She went from perfectly healthy cat to dead! I'm stuck with all this stuff I'm going to have to sell at a loss. Never going to feed another pet this stuff again.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Ok. I am not sure if this is the food or coincidence. I was advised by my vet to change up his diet because he may be allergic to the existing dog food we were feeding him (was Merrick). My labrador kept getting an ear infection and he thought it was from the food we were feeding him. So we tried the Hill's brand as recommended by the vet (sensitive skin type). One day later my dog in the middle of the night had a seizure (which scared the you know what out of me). He’s only 4 years old and healthy as an ox (96lbs).

Called the vet the next day and was advised if anything seemed abnormal with him. I said no other than the seizure. All his vitals were great and he was spunky to play and his appetite was great too. Fast forward another 2 weeks later, & he had another seizure at night. Called vet & we are doing blood work in the morning. Hope all works out. By the way, we never had one issue with him in the 4 years we have had him and he always has had a chronic ear infection as well. Also my vet said he may be allergic to something in the Hill's food. I was thinking the ear infection, but he said unlikely. I’m hoping that find the issue.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I’ve been using Nature’s Variety Instinct for my three adult cats and kitten. Three of which have fur and the fourth is a Sphynx. They THRIVED on this food. I made the huge mistake of wanting to change things up for them so I bought a little bit of Science Diet to do a gradual food change. I did the proper ratio amount maybe even less and that’s when everything went south! My adult cats started drooling excessively and vomiting up yellow chunky food. They all have terrible diarrhea. My sphynx is so bad that it literally just runs out of him as he tries to make it to the litter box. He is bloated and has shakes. The kitten just got diarrhea. I took my cats to the vet and was told they are very nauseated and dehydrated and to get rid of Science Diet immediately! I turned my cat’s lives upside down with this food and would NEVER a recommend it to anyone to use!

Original review: June 6, 2018

I have a 19 year old Boston Terrier/Boxer mix. He went for his annual checkup on May 14 and everything was perfect other than slightly elevated kidney levels. The vet recommended I put him on Science Diet K/D to slow the progression. Right away I noticed that he wasn't having as many bowel movements, he used to go at least twice a day and now he's down to one small bowel movement a day. Just 17 days after starting on 6/1 I noticed blood in his urine, which has continued for the past 3 days.

I am taking back to the veterinarian tomorrow but I will definitely be stopping this food immediately. He has always been extremely healthy and I am convinced the Science Diet food is responsible for the blood in urine and altered bowel movements. I really appreciate everyone's warnings here, just wish I would've found them sooner! Hoping that since he's only been on the food for 21 days it's not too late to undo the damage. I don't think my veterinarian had bad intentions, but really disgusted that this food that is $65 a bag is actually hurting my dog rather than helping him.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have been Hill's Science diet light, small bites dry dog food for the last 18 years & have never had an issue with it ever being bad or making my dogs sick. My first & 2nd dog "both Dachshunds". My first dog lived to the age of 15 & my 2nd one is almost 4 now. My Vet highly recommended it & I have been using it ever since. My dogs likes it also.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I got options when my cat/dog was sick. Science Diet is better re natural ingredients though still contains some preservatives I don't trust much. Availability is relatively good but it's not available in supermarkets (which perhaps is better).

Original review: April 29, 2018

Started out using Purina one then switch to Science Diet gentle stomach good for skin. So far it's been really good. I've been using it for about 6 years.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Science diet has given my dogs more energy and they look healthier. I would recommended this food to anyone. I wish there were more coupons but I am so glad I made the switch!

Original review: April 15, 2018

I've been feeding Hills Science for about five years now after a vet in CA told me it would be better for my Manx who has spinal issues. Since I had another cat I put them both on it. They seemed to do fine until this last year with certain flavors especially tuna. They will throw up then refuse it so I stopped giving it. I called Hills and asked if anyone else complained but they said no. I was told take them back to PetSmart where I bought them but PetSmart said without my receipt I couldn't. I paid cash so they couldn't look it up. For my trouble the rep sent me a $5 off coupon. I'm sitting on two cases of extremely expense can food. Lately they are upchucking the chicken. I moved and have a new vet. Although they use Hills Science too, I was told I can go back to Fancy Feast wet if I want to. I wish I could make their food daily but with my schedule and travel it's not logical.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

So my dog was diagnosed with diabetics and skinny. Vet insisted he be on Hills WD ONLY. He isn't gaining weight on it, not regulated and starving all the time even after eating this stuff and is constipated all the time. Looking at the ingredients I am disgusted. This food is so high in carbs and cheap ingredients like sawdust for a filler. How can this be called real food for any dog! How can anyone feed this to their dog and feel good about it? My Vet says there is no other options? There are plenty of better food on the market that are ok for a diabetic dog. You just have to pay attention to the amount of fat, fiber, carbs and protein and make sure they fall within a certain range.

Also check ingredients for type of carbs etc...etc... Some pet owners say their dogs on this are regulated but wow they take a lot of insulin!! Other say they cannot get them regulated on this and when they switched food they began regulating. I am getting my dog off this junk asap. I love my dog and my dog is NOT eating this junk anymore. I know I can do better for him! Please people don't be lazy. Make effort and do better for your dogs. They deserve it as they are family!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Our dogs would have stomach problems with other food. Science Diet is expensive ($1.90 a can) but they are getting real meat products not garbage from the bottom of the vault. We feel good that we are giving our dogs healthy food which can prolong diseases.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

We put our lab on metabolic diet and at first we were pleased that she has slimmed down, however she has developed severe skin issues, odor, dermatitis, and hair loss. I read another review documenting the same issue.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Under my vet's advice we put our dogs on Hill's Science dry dog food for weight mgmt. Within few months the heaviest dog started losing his hair in spots and developed severe dermatitis. The other two dogs had recurrent ear infections. $600 dollars later in vet bills and many thyroid and Cushing Disorder lab tests (which were negative) we switched to a grain free dog food (Victor). All symptoms disappeared and we are very fortunate we discontinued feeding Hill's Science when we did!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Hill's Science Dog Food has been my choice of dog food for my dogs for the past 23 plus years. This has fed my labs, cockers, Chihuahua's, mutts and whomever I forgot to mention. The dog food offers a variety of "types" from diet food to regular to food for the dog's skin condition. I have been well pleased with food. Plus, my Vet also recommends this brand of dog food. As for the value, the cost of a bag keeps going up with the contents shrinking. Therefore, the value is also shrinking. However, I will keep feeding it to my pups at this time.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I feed all my dogs dry food as they feed at will. It is better for their teeth. I always hide a treat in their bowls so this gives them a reason to nibble at will. Science Diet has always been fresh although I would like to see less "meal" and more meat.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Never had a recall that I know of. My dog and cat both eat wet and dry, does not seem to upset them. My dog is 12 years old and my cat is 22 years old.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I sincerely wish there were as stringent steps taken in food for human consumption, their standards are of the highest quality from batch to batch & formula to formula.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I buy Science Diet for my 3 dogs of different ages. They enjoy the variety of flavors and it keeps them healthy and happy. We use dry and canned food of Science Diet.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Science Diet's very digestible, dog appears to enjoy the flavor. She also is very alert and active and her weight is more easily controlled compared with previous formulas.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

The Hill's Science Diet WD formula became necessary for our dog’s diagnosis of Diabetes. Very expensive. Purchase by prescription only makes the availability very limited.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

This is a great food for my dog because she has food allergies and has severe reactions to the artificial colors and flavors found in so many other dog foods.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Science Diet's made in USA and recommended by my vet. Buy at vets, Tractor Supply or Gebo's. Current dog was already eating Hills Science Diet and so stayed with it. Now 1 yr old and doing great.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I love Hill's Science Diet. My one dog is on the Prescription Diet i/d Low Fat and the other is on the regular Skin and Sensitive Stomach by Hill's Science Diet.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

My senior Brittany loves the I/D low fat canned and I/D kibble and is flourishing on it. I have to get Science Diet from the vet's office, otherwise it is often out of stock at online places and have to have a prescription on file.

Science Diet Company Information

Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.
    www.hillspet.com