Science Diet
1.70/5
Based on 322 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Science Diet

386 Science Diet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

My cat wouldn't eat this stuff and I got her a variety of it I decided to mix in a little of the food she likes but it was too late. Within a few weeks she was dead. My heart is broken. She went from perfectly healthy cat to dead! I'm stuck with all this stuff I'm going to have to sell at a loss. Never going to feed another pet this stuff again.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Ok. I am not sure if this is the food or coincidence. I was advised by my vet to change up his diet because he may be allergic to the existing dog food we were feeding him (was Merrick). My labrador kept getting an ear infection and he thought it was from the food we were feeding him. So we tried the Hill's brand as recommended by the vet (sensitive skin type). One day later my dog in the middle of the night had a seizure (which scared the you know what out of me). He’s only 4 years old and healthy as an ox (96lbs).

Called the vet the next day and was advised if anything seemed abnormal with him. I said no other than the seizure. All his vitals were great and he was spunky to play and his appetite was great too. Fast forward another 2 weeks later, & he had another seizure at night. Called vet & we are doing blood work in the morning. Hope all works out. By the way, we never had one issue with him in the 4 years we have had him and he always has had a chronic ear infection as well. Also my vet said he may be allergic to something in the Hill's food. I was thinking the ear infection, but he said unlikely. I’m hoping that find the issue.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I’ve been using Nature’s Variety Instinct for my three adult cats and kitten. Three of which have fur and the fourth is a Sphynx. They THRIVED on this food. I made the huge mistake of wanting to change things up for them so I bought a little bit of Science Diet to do a gradual food change. I did the proper ratio amount maybe even less and that’s when everything went south! My adult cats started drooling excessively and vomiting up yellow chunky food. They all have terrible diarrhea. My sphynx is so bad that it literally just runs out of him as he tries to make it to the litter box. He is bloated and has shakes. The kitten just got diarrhea. I took my cats to the vet and was told they are very nauseated and dehydrated and to get rid of Science Diet immediately! I turned my cat’s lives upside down with this food and would NEVER a recommend it to anyone to use!

Original review: June 6, 2018

I have a 19 year old Boston Terrier/Boxer mix. He went for his annual checkup on May 14 and everything was perfect other than slightly elevated kidney levels. The vet recommended I put him on Science Diet K/D to slow the progression. Right away I noticed that he wasn't having as many bowel movements, he used to go at least twice a day and now he's down to one small bowel movement a day. Just 17 days after starting on 6/1 I noticed blood in his urine, which has continued for the past 3 days.

I am taking back to the veterinarian tomorrow but I will definitely be stopping this food immediately. He has always been extremely healthy and I am convinced the Science Diet food is responsible for the blood in urine and altered bowel movements. I really appreciate everyone's warnings here, just wish I would've found them sooner! Hoping that since he's only been on the food for 21 days it's not too late to undo the damage. I don't think my veterinarian had bad intentions, but really disgusted that this food that is $65 a bag is actually hurting my dog rather than helping him.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have been Hill's Science diet light, small bites dry dog food for the last 18 years & have never had an issue with it ever being bad or making my dogs sick. My first & 2nd dog "both Dachshunds". My first dog lived to the age of 15 & my 2nd one is almost 4 now. My Vet highly recommended it & I have been using it ever since. My dogs likes it also.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.?

Original review: May 4, 2018

I got options when my cat/dog was sick. Science Diet is better re natural ingredients though still contains some preservatives I don't trust much. Availability is relatively good but it's not available in supermarkets (which perhaps is better).

Original review: April 29, 2018

Started out using Purina one then switch to Science Diet gentle stomach good for skin. So far it's been really good. I've been using it for about 6 years.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Science diet has given my dogs more energy and they look healthier. I would recommended this food to anyone. I wish there were more coupons but I am so glad I made the switch!

Original review: April 15, 2018

I've been feeding Hills Science for about five years now after a vet in CA told me it would be better for my Manx who has spinal issues. Since I had another cat I put them both on it. They seemed to do fine until this last year with certain flavors especially tuna. They will throw up then refuse it so I stopped giving it. I called Hills and asked if anyone else complained but they said no. I was told take them back to PetSmart where I bought them but PetSmart said without my receipt I couldn't. I paid cash so they couldn't look it up. For my trouble the rep sent me a $5 off coupon. I'm sitting on two cases of extremely expense can food. Lately they are upchucking the chicken. I moved and have a new vet. Although they use Hills Science too, I was told I can go back to Fancy Feast wet if I want to. I wish I could make their food daily but with my schedule and travel it's not logical.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

So my dog was diagnosed with diabetics and skinny. Vet insisted he be on Hills WD ONLY. He isn't gaining weight on it, not regulated and starving all the time even after eating this stuff and is constipated all the time. Looking at the ingredients I am disgusted. This food is so high in carbs and cheap ingredients like sawdust for a filler. How can this be called real food for any dog! How can anyone feed this to their dog and feel good about it? My Vet says there is no other options? There are plenty of better food on the market that are ok for a diabetic dog. You just have to pay attention to the amount of fat, fiber, carbs and protein and make sure they fall within a certain range.

Also check ingredients for type of carbs etc...etc... Some pet owners say their dogs on this are regulated but wow they take a lot of insulin!! Other say they cannot get them regulated on this and when they switched food they began regulating. I am getting my dog off this junk asap. I love my dog and my dog is NOT eating this junk anymore. I know I can do better for him! Please people don't be lazy. Make effort and do better for your dogs. They deserve it as they are family!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Our dogs would have stomach problems with other food. Science Diet is expensive ($1.90 a can) but they are getting real meat products not garbage from the bottom of the vault. We feel good that we are giving our dogs healthy food which can prolong diseases.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

We put our lab on metabolic diet and at first we were pleased that she has slimmed down, however she has developed severe skin issues, odor, dermatitis, and hair loss. I read another review documenting the same issue.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Under my vet's advice we put our dogs on Hill's Science dry dog food for weight mgmt. Within few months the heaviest dog started losing his hair in spots and developed severe dermatitis. The other two dogs had recurrent ear infections. $600 dollars later in vet bills and many thyroid and Cushing Disorder lab tests (which were negative) we switched to a grain free dog food (Victor). All symptoms disappeared and we are very fortunate we discontinued feeding Hill's Science when we did!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Hill's Science Dog Food has been my choice of dog food for my dogs for the past 23 plus years. This has fed my labs, cockers, Chihuahua's, mutts and whomever I forgot to mention. The dog food offers a variety of "types" from diet food to regular to food for the dog's skin condition. I have been well pleased with food. Plus, my Vet also recommends this brand of dog food. As for the value, the cost of a bag keeps going up with the contents shrinking. Therefore, the value is also shrinking. However, I will keep feeding it to my pups at this time.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I feed all my dogs dry food as they feed at will. It is better for their teeth. I always hide a treat in their bowls so this gives them a reason to nibble at will. Science Diet has always been fresh although I would like to see less "meal" and more meat.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Never had a recall that I know of. My dog and cat both eat wet and dry, does not seem to upset them. My dog is 12 years old and my cat is 22 years old.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I sincerely wish there were as stringent steps taken in food for human consumption, their standards are of the highest quality from batch to batch & formula to formula.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I buy Science Diet for my 3 dogs of different ages. They enjoy the variety of flavors and it keeps them healthy and happy. We use dry and canned food of Science Diet.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Science Diet's very digestible, dog appears to enjoy the flavor. She also is very alert and active and her weight is more easily controlled compared with previous formulas.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

The Hill's Science Diet WD formula became necessary for our dog’s diagnosis of Diabetes. Very expensive. Purchase by prescription only makes the availability very limited.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

This is a great food for my dog because she has food allergies and has severe reactions to the artificial colors and flavors found in so many other dog foods.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Science Diet's made in USA and recommended by my vet. Buy at vets, Tractor Supply or Gebo's. Current dog was already eating Hills Science Diet and so stayed with it. Now 1 yr old and doing great.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I love Hill's Science Diet. My one dog is on the Prescription Diet i/d Low Fat and the other is on the regular Skin and Sensitive Stomach by Hill's Science Diet.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

My senior Brittany loves the I/D low fat canned and I/D kibble and is flourishing on it. I have to get Science Diet from the vet's office, otherwise it is often out of stock at online places and have to have a prescription on file.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I have a 6 year old Pom. He has always been very healthy. He is a spoiled baby and I am guilty of giving him too many treats, because of this; he got acute pancreatitis. I have been using Nature's Instinct brand food without any issues for my Pom and my Pit for a few years without any issues. The vet didn't suggest I try a new food, he said if I didn't give him special Science Diet food, he would die. So I bought the ridiculously expensive (for an unnatural food) Science Diet Digestive Care dog food. He gets real chicken every night and the dry food throughout the day, he's a grazer. About a week after giving him this food he has broken out in a rash to the point where he's losing fur, his stool has gotten so loose that there is now blood mixed in it, and his appetite is dwindling everyday. I didn't think it could be the food until about an hour ago when I went to the pet store to buy booties so he would stop scratching.

The employee had asked me what food I was using and if the rash was on his sides. I told him that it was Science Diet and that the rash was on his sides, and, he informed me that he has many customers that have complained about their pets breaking out from Science Diet food. He told me to look for chicken by-product meal. I came home and looked at the ingredients and found it was in his food. After reading these horror stories I am not only disgusted that I gave my dog something without researching it first, but, that my vet enforced this poisonous food.

My mother fed her Shih-Tzu Science Diet dry food for years. We just had to put her down for renal failure. I don't have the heart to tell her that I have found reviews stating that this food caused renal failure in their pets as well. Please do your homework regarding this product. If I had my little man wouldn't be so uncomfortable at the moment. Worst part, Monday I have to take him back to the vet, spend another 3-4 hundred dollars in an attempt to get him healthy again. The prescription food that I trusted my vet and Science Diet to help my 'son' sadly made him more ill than he originally was.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Fed my beloved cats for 12 years on Science Diet, believing that it was the best food I could buy for my cat’s health. My vets even told me there was no need for anything else, that fresh meat was only a ‘luxury’ food and unnecessary. One of them is overweight and the other has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and I believe after lots of research that it is because I’ve been feeding them this poison. If you actually look at the ingredients on the packets of their so called ‘varieties’, it’s mainly corn, gluten, carbs and salt. No nutrition whatsoever, like expecting your pet to be healthy by eating carbs and cardboard.

These people need to be taken down. They don’t care about animals, it’s all just about making money, deceiving millions of people and murdering animals. I don’t see the difference between Hill’s and these commercial pet food companies and McDonald’s, killing people and animals. I hope people start taking notice of the actual ingredients of this rubbish and they go out of business.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I have had dogs my entire adult life & the vast majority of years (and now) 2 - all rescues - at a time. After trying newer, sometimes better sounding, brands and numbers of digestive and/or skin issues as a result with other food now have healthy, well nourished, active and happy pets with Science Diet beef & vegetables. (I find the poultry in pet foods very poor quality.)

Original review: June 15, 2017

Most companies offer really good deals to attract new customers; these good deals are not available to current customers. Hills Science Diet gave a $49 bag of cat food FREE to old customers! What a good move.

Original review: April 30, 2017

After putting our 7 1/2 mo. Havanese Shih Tzu puppy on our Vet's recommended Hill's Science (Dry Puppy Food Small Breed) after being on their Advantage Line (also Vet's recommendation) and previously Halo, she began to have very soft runny stool and vomiting. One day she pooped 6 times when she usually goes once or twice daily. She also had episodes of gagging/dry heaving. In addition, she seemed to have less energy. No run like hell events Havanese are known to do. Finally after stool tested and taking her Vet prescribed meds (which our plan did not cover), she felt a little better. Fortunately we got credit for our return.

We then chose to transition her to Fromm Puppy Gold. Her stool quickly returned to being firm, no vomiting/gagging dry heaves. Energy level returned to normal as well. Plus she now loves the taste far more and eats most of the servings. After seeing other dogs with similar symptoms I felt compelled to write. Hopefully, this bring attention/awareness to our concern. Esp. to the Vet community who seem to push their products. Luckily she was on the Science Diet for less than a month.

Original review: April 10, 2017

About 2 months ago, my Vet said my dog was overweight. She is a 2 year old Puggle and looks every bit like a pug, short and bulky body. My Vet put her on Hills weight management food. Within 2 weeks of starting the food, she began to pass blood in her urine. With one day of seeing a pinkish tint in her urine, it went to dark deep red. Took her to the vet and she developed a serious Urinary Tract infection. She was given antibiotics and a different Hills diet food that was for Urinary issues in dogs. My dog started to eat the food, but was picking at it.

2 weeks after starting that food, she now will not eat at all. She has lost all appetite, which is highly unusual, since the beagle part of her wants food all the time. She drinks water, and plenty of it, but now runs away from us when we try to give her any form of food. Even her favorites. I am alarmed to read now many people on this site are writing the same things. This Hills food must be poison... I am at the point of going after Hills to pay for all the Vet bills.

Not sure about Science Diet?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Dog Food for you.

Science Diet Company Information

Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.
    www.hillspet.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business