Science Diet
1.70/5
Based on 338 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Science Diet

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

402 Science Diet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I will never buy Science Diet dog food again. There was a recall recently that their food causes vitamin d poisoning. The recent recall days after my beloved angel died was heartbreaking. She was my friend and family for 15 years. We have been buying science diet Since she was a puppy. The vet recommended it then and even the vet we have now did too.

Angel suddenly became ill and the vet couldn’t figure out what was wrong. She had all the classic signs of vitamin d poisoning. She stopped eating, started pooping blood, and died in my arms 1/27/2019. I don’t believe all the food infected is listed on their site and that they knew earlier about the problem. They have called me back and didn’t have answers about testing cans of food still in my possession. Some cans had the same sku numbers but not lot numbers. It makes me feel so sick that I was feeding my sweet pookie poison. They wanted to send me coupons. Really!!!! Someone should sue.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My dog has been exhibiting symptoms of Vitamin D toxicity as described by their latest food recall, but the remaining can I have is not on the recall list. My concerns were dismissed by the customer service rep I spoke with. I will be filing a complaint with the FDA to ensure appropriate review is taken. Buyer beware, I will not be surprised if this recall expands.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

We have been feeding our cat Science Diet for Sensitive Stomach since day one. It was good for 5 years until about 18 months ago. The formula was changed for the worse. Our cat was losing his hair and had diarrhea. He also started to have blood in his stools. We switched the food to grain-free that we purchased from Natural Paws. Our cat stopped having diarrhea gradually and hair loss. What happened to the good formula that SD had for years??

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My dog just turned a year old Christmas Eve. She stopped eating her puppy large breed. So we switched it up and bought adult food and a different flavor. She’s not eating it. I feel something is going on with this brand.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I have fed Science Diet for 16 years with no problems what-so-ever. They never had gas issues and their poo didn't stink. I lost my 17yr old Yorkie, Izzy, this year. I got her as a rescue, literally on death's door. She lived a wonderful, healthy, happy and loved life. I also lost my 11yr old Boxer, Wesley, this year. WHAT A HAPPY LIFE that MAN lived!! I miss him beyond words. I still have my 16yr old, Jolie, although blind and losing teeth... Otherwise healthy. She has never cared for wet food so the tiny bites are perfect for her tiny mouth and lack of teeth.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

This food is poison plain and simple! My eight year old lab/beagle mix has always had weight and skin issues, grain free all the way. When our vet tech told us grain free was now classified as dangerous because of the recent heart disease link we agreed as a family to switch her over. All went well until we ran out of the old food and could no longer mix the old with the new. Her thirst has become unquenchable, she was leaking around the house (which we thought was a UTI) and I'm talking about puddles. My Dog is modest. She doesn't pee in the house, it just doesn't happen.

We bring her to the vet who also thinks it’s a UTI. Three days into medication we find a massive puddle on our living room couch, doctor tests her urine again, this time for diabetes (yes, she was mimicking all the symptoms) and no dice. Dr. gives us a list of options, Lyme Disease, Cushing's, and then finally the god awful 'C' word. Recommends we get her in for x-rays ASAP. 600.00$ later as well as more blood tests and nothing. They now recommend a deep tissue ultra-sound.

Fast forward to TONIGHT 12/25, CHRISTMAS DAY we walk into the living room and there's four spots ranging in size where she relieved herself, once again, doesn't smell like urine because of how diluted it is and how much she's been drinking. Never in her life has my dog been this thirsty. Now tomorrow she gets to go for an ultra-sound, though after plenty of research and reviews on her here it's clear that this food, and I use the word food lightly, because it's garbage more than anything. It seems like more and more dog owners are having the same issues. Almost 90$ a bag and it’s done nothing but make my dog sick. I'm terrified to see the side effects she'll have coming off of it. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst. This company should be thoroughly investigated into what's going into our dog’s food! Buyer beware!!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Updated on 02/01/2019: Science Diet just came out with a recall today 1/31/19 on their wet dog food. I'm glad I took my dogs off it when I did. This is such a horrible food and people have lost their dogs from getting so sick!

Original Review: This food is nothing but an expensive bag of CORN period! There is no nutritional value here. My 2 poms tried this. Because of recurrent UTIs and stones I reluctantly put them on it. Asked my vet if all 4 can go on it, so few months now later my Doxie was peeing in the house and drinking constantly. 300.00 later they thought he had water diabetes. Did all the testing. Now vet says may be too much sodium in the food. Put him back on old food which was Annamaet best food ever! Used it for 10 years. Expensive but worth it. Since my dogs been off it their coat is dull horrible so went to my guy at his store for recommendations for not using the old one but he said to use one with lower phosphate. It's the purple and black bag now, they were on the Aqualok. My dogs were still constantly hungry on C/D. Here's the deal the vets who sell it get a kickback on it.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I started my Pug on Science Diet Perfect Weight 2-3 years ago when my mom recommended it. Her Pug was eating another type of Science Diet and enjoying it. The problem with these types of sites is most people don't bother to write reviews unless they've had a negative experience. I suggest trying Science Diet and deciding for yourself based on your dog's experience.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

The recommended feeding is 1 can per day for the puppy size - which means food must be divided and stored in the refrigerator. It would be nice to be able to buy smaller size cans. Also an opener must be used on this can. I am trying to switch the little puppy (large breed) to dry as my Vet would like - but the little dog likes the wet food. I spoon the food from the can - bring to room temperature in the microwave, stir in a little water, and add a little dry. This puppy likes the food -- is growing fine with it - has gone from under 4 pounds to almost 12 in two months. I don't know yet what breed he is - only that he will be a fairly large dog. I bought the Puppy Food for Large Breed Dog - but he is not ready for the size kibble - still prefers the smaller, easier to chew bites.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

My dog was put on this from his vet. He throws up every night after eating it. And he has hard stools. So I went back to his original dog food and he was always very gassy. No more... the vet put my dog on the diet food 'cause he is overweight and said this would help. I don't agree. He has been sick since day one after eating it.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My puppy ate this product in less than a 24 hour time span. The product contains IRON OXIDE which is a RED DYE. My puppy had massive diarrhea. It was "BRICK RED" in color. I thought it was blood at first sight until I really examined it, and saw that, when smeared it was actually brown. After the first two stools, thereafter, all the stools were completely RED. The stool were also sticky & slimy. Absolutely disgusting.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

My 1 year old bulldog had been on Nutromax since we got him so he started to eat tired of it. The first night I noticed I mixed in the Science Diet large breed puppy food and he loved the taste. The next day he wouldn’t touch the Nutro so I just gave him the Science Diet. The next day his balls were cherry red and blistered and after dropping $300 at the vet (where they sell Science Diet) they let me know it was an allergic reaction and to never give it to him again. I’m not sure what it’s like for everyone but my experience was terrible!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I have been feeding my Yorkie and Maltese Science Diet for over two years vet recommended. I have been purchasing the food at the same Pet Supermarket. My recent purchase and it's my last came with worms. My dogs lick their paws a lot. I was told it might be food allergies due to the ingredients that is put into the Science Diet food. No longer buying Hill's Science Diet.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

My Saint Shepherd puppy does well with this food. I buy her the Large Breed Puppy type and mix it in with cheaper sweet potato/pumpkin puppy food, usually from Nutro or Nature's Way. She's gaining weight and size steadily with no issues and she gobbles it up. When I rescued her she was on an adult Iams dog food diet and it was causing her vomiting and diarrhea. Didn't help that she had hookworm either. Since being on this food with the high fiber food mix she has stopped vomiting and no more explosive diarrhea.

When I go to rebuy the food, I do get asked if it's any good from the ladies at the counter. I guess since a lot of people have complained about it. But unless I see some change in her I'll keep her on the puppy food. I feel like all dogs react differently to different foods and no food is perfect. Monitor your animal's reaction to it before committing to a brand. Buy a small bag and let them eat it for a week before making a decision if it's right for your pet.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Hill's Pet Nutrition - My two dogs have been eating this food for over a year. Suddenly today (just opened a new bag) even my very food motivated Puggle won't touch it! Wondering what they changed and will be finding a different food for them.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

My two dogs have done extremely well with this food until just recently. They quit eating it altogether. I thought maybe just not hungry. So I mixed some of the good stuff (canned dog food) into it. They still did not eat it!!! Something is wrong with this food, whether the batch or what, I don't care. Petsmart has a policy of returning the food and that's exactly where I am going tomorrow. Good luck to all of you that haven't suffered any consequences due to this food. I'm not taking any chances. To those that already have, I am sorry :( for your loss.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

My cat wouldn't eat this stuff and I got her a variety of it I decided to mix in a little of the food she likes but it was too late. Within a few weeks she was dead. My heart is broken. She went from perfectly healthy cat to dead! I'm stuck with all this stuff I'm going to have to sell at a loss. Never going to feed another pet this stuff again.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Ok. I am not sure if this is the food or coincidence. I was advised by my vet to change up his diet because he may be allergic to the existing dog food we were feeding him (was Merrick). My labrador kept getting an ear infection and he thought it was from the food we were feeding him. So we tried the Hill's brand as recommended by the vet (sensitive skin type). One day later my dog in the middle of the night had a seizure (which scared the you know what out of me). He’s only 4 years old and healthy as an ox (96lbs).

Called the vet the next day and was advised if anything seemed abnormal with him. I said no other than the seizure. All his vitals were great and he was spunky to play and his appetite was great too. Fast forward another 2 weeks later, & he had another seizure at night. Called vet & we are doing blood work in the morning. Hope all works out. By the way, we never had one issue with him in the 4 years we have had him and he always has had a chronic ear infection as well. Also my vet said he may be allergic to something in the Hill's food. I was thinking the ear infection, but he said unlikely. I’m hoping that find the issue.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I’ve been using Nature’s Variety Instinct for my three adult cats and kitten. Three of which have fur and the fourth is a Sphynx. They THRIVED on this food. I made the huge mistake of wanting to change things up for them so I bought a little bit of Science Diet to do a gradual food change. I did the proper ratio amount maybe even less and that’s when everything went south! My adult cats started drooling excessively and vomiting up yellow chunky food. They all have terrible diarrhea. My sphynx is so bad that it literally just runs out of him as he tries to make it to the litter box. He is bloated and has shakes. The kitten just got diarrhea. I took my cats to the vet and was told they are very nauseated and dehydrated and to get rid of Science Diet immediately! I turned my cat’s lives upside down with this food and would NEVER a recommend it to anyone to use!

Original review: June 6, 2018

I have a 19 year old Boston Terrier/Boxer mix. He went for his annual checkup on May 14 and everything was perfect other than slightly elevated kidney levels. The vet recommended I put him on Science Diet K/D to slow the progression. Right away I noticed that he wasn't having as many bowel movements, he used to go at least twice a day and now he's down to one small bowel movement a day. Just 17 days after starting on 6/1 I noticed blood in his urine, which has continued for the past 3 days.

I am taking back to the veterinarian tomorrow but I will definitely be stopping this food immediately. He has always been extremely healthy and I am convinced the Science Diet food is responsible for the blood in urine and altered bowel movements. I really appreciate everyone's warnings here, just wish I would've found them sooner! Hoping that since he's only been on the food for 21 days it's not too late to undo the damage. I don't think my veterinarian had bad intentions, but really disgusted that this food that is $65 a bag is actually hurting my dog rather than helping him.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have been Hill's Science diet light, small bites dry dog food for the last 18 years & have never had an issue with it ever being bad or making my dogs sick. My first & 2nd dog "both Dachshunds". My first dog lived to the age of 15 & my 2nd one is almost 4 now. My Vet highly recommended it & I have been using it ever since. My dogs likes it also.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I got options when my cat/dog was sick. Science Diet is better re natural ingredients though still contains some preservatives I don't trust much. Availability is relatively good but it's not available in supermarkets (which perhaps is better).

Original review: April 29, 2018

Started out using Purina one then switch to Science Diet gentle stomach good for skin. So far it's been really good. I've been using it for about 6 years.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Science diet has given my dogs more energy and they look healthier. I would recommended this food to anyone. I wish there were more coupons but I am so glad I made the switch!

Original review: April 15, 2018

I've been feeding Hills Science for about five years now after a vet in CA told me it would be better for my Manx who has spinal issues. Since I had another cat I put them both on it. They seemed to do fine until this last year with certain flavors especially tuna. They will throw up then refuse it so I stopped giving it. I called Hills and asked if anyone else complained but they said no. I was told take them back to PetSmart where I bought them but PetSmart said without my receipt I couldn't. I paid cash so they couldn't look it up. For my trouble the rep sent me a $5 off coupon. I'm sitting on two cases of extremely expense can food. Lately they are upchucking the chicken. I moved and have a new vet. Although they use Hills Science too, I was told I can go back to Fancy Feast wet if I want to. I wish I could make their food daily but with my schedule and travel it's not logical.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

So my dog was diagnosed with diabetics and skinny. Vet insisted he be on Hills WD ONLY. He isn't gaining weight on it, not regulated and starving all the time even after eating this stuff and is constipated all the time. Looking at the ingredients I am disgusted. This food is so high in carbs and cheap ingredients like sawdust for a filler. How can this be called real food for any dog! How can anyone feed this to their dog and feel good about it? My Vet says there is no other options? There are plenty of better food on the market that are ok for a diabetic dog. You just have to pay attention to the amount of fat, fiber, carbs and protein and make sure they fall within a certain range.

Also check ingredients for type of carbs etc...etc... Some pet owners say their dogs on this are regulated but wow they take a lot of insulin!! Other say they cannot get them regulated on this and when they switched food they began regulating. I am getting my dog off this junk asap. I love my dog and my dog is NOT eating this junk anymore. I know I can do better for him! Please people don't be lazy. Make effort and do better for your dogs. They deserve it as they are family!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Our dogs would have stomach problems with other food. Science Diet is expensive ($1.90 a can) but they are getting real meat products not garbage from the bottom of the vault. We feel good that we are giving our dogs healthy food which can prolong diseases.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

We put our lab on metabolic diet and at first we were pleased that she has slimmed down, however she has developed severe skin issues, odor, dermatitis, and hair loss. I read another review documenting the same issue.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Under my vet's advice we put our dogs on Hill's Science dry dog food for weight mgmt. Within few months the heaviest dog started losing his hair in spots and developed severe dermatitis. The other two dogs had recurrent ear infections. $600 dollars later in vet bills and many thyroid and Cushing Disorder lab tests (which were negative) we switched to a grain free dog food (Victor). All symptoms disappeared and we are very fortunate we discontinued feeding Hill's Science when we did!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Hill's Science Dog Food has been my choice of dog food for my dogs for the past 23 plus years. This has fed my labs, cockers, Chihuahua's, mutts and whomever I forgot to mention. The dog food offers a variety of "types" from diet food to regular to food for the dog's skin condition. I have been well pleased with food. Plus, my Vet also recommends this brand of dog food. As for the value, the cost of a bag keeps going up with the contents shrinking. Therefore, the value is also shrinking. However, I will keep feeding it to my pups at this time.

Science Diet Company Information

Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.
    www.hillspet.com
    Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.