Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Science Diet

Science Diet
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.81/5

Science Diet Reviews

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I have a 4 year toy poodle that just would not eat dog food. It would either make her sick or she just would not eat it, I was very worried about her and just on a whim I purchased a bag of Hill's Science Small Paws and she loves it! This has been a godsend to my family. We love our fur baby, she is a extremely important part of our family and to see her eat something that is healthy and she loves. She is more alert and active since eating Hill's Science. This is a great dog food!

Original review: July 19, 2019

Best diets on the Market. A must read. Ok everyone I am sure you're thinking no way. Well yes. I have a 12 yr old male Siamese, Balinese cat who is 12 going on 2. I used to have him on other diets, I got him from my vet at 5 yrs old and he was on whatever the cats opened. They had him on Science Diet and he was a gorgeous cat, beautiful fur and healthy. When I got him I decided after all the hype about grain free diets to try them. One is no longer on the market, thanks Smucker's. Because of you I now have my cat on foods that are good for him. :)

The other dry food was Blue and within two years of putting him on Blue, my cat developed neck lesions on 4 teeth and had to have them pulled. The vet said he thought it might be stomatitis but it wasn't! It was all the multiple pre and probiotics they were adding into the food. If you ate that many pre and probiotics your gut would be killing you. They only need lactobacillus if they are out of balance and you can use your own Culterelle and put in canned food or sprinkle on dry food. I use one for me and half for him. Since I began using Science Diet he is no longer vomiting, has normal stools, no teeth have been pulled, no neck lesions. IT WAS NOT STOMATITIS! When too many pre probiotics are added, it disturbs the natural flora and causing bacteria to go up the esophagus into the mouth and develop neck lesions.

I took him off the NO GRAIN DIETS, put him on Science Diet optimal care and also as he got older he is 12 now I have him on indoor 12 + and also on Youthful Vitality. My kitty is healthy, and happy and never in better health. I will NEVER put my cat on a no grain diet. What do they eat in the wild, birds, mice etc and what do birds and mice eat? GRAINS!! When someone tells you corn gluten meal, it is that tiny piece of white in a kernel of corn, IT IS PLANT PROTEIN. Do not let people tell you that grain free is better. NEWS FLASH FROM TV 6 it is not better for your animals. They just had a detailed news story on no grain not being good for your pets. I will stay with SD as long as I can. I just hope they remove the wheat again...but my cat loves it and won't eat canned nor human food. So he gets a variety with SD. Don't let the commercials or pet stores tell you different. No Grain diets are not better for cats or dogs.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I have had cats for 30 years. Early on I thought it was crazy to purchase one of the high priced foods. But when we were stationed in the Philippines we adopted a Filipino kitten (we already had a 3 year old cat). The kitten was scrawny and bony, and had coarse, wiry hair. I found out those were typical features of those cats. One day as I was leaving the veterinarian on base I saw the vets interacting with some stray cats outside. They were beautiful, soft and healthy looking. I assumed they were not Filipino cats but the vets told me yes they were Filipino cats. I asked why they looked so healthy and they told me it was because they fed them Science Diet. I immediately switched my cats to SD and sure enough, the Filipino cat quickly became beautiful, healthy, and softer than ever. Our other cat improved on it as well.

I don’t know how long the Filipino cat lived because my ex-husband got custody of her, but my other cat lived to be 18. Meanwhile I adopted a stray cat that was estimated to be 5-10 years old. She already had Feline Leukemia. I had her for 15 years, meaning she lived to be roughly 20-25 years old, even with the Feline leukemia. She was never sick in all those years, until the day before she died but I knew it was her time to go. My vet was always amazed by her. I fed her SD the entire time I had her.

I have moved numerous times over the years, and therefore had to switch vets as many times. I have asked each vet about the SD, as I had always heard some unfavorable things about it. Every single vet has told me that SD is a great food, and that ALL of the foods have fillers but SD is the only one that discloses it on their label. Three years ago I adopted a dog (approximately 8 years old). I had her fully checked out by my vet and she had no health issues whatsoever. I decided to listen to all the pop culture stuff about the pet foods, so I put her on Blue Buffalo grain free.

Within 6 months of feeding her the Blue Buffalo she rapidly became 10 lbs overweight! I was feeding her less than the daily recommended amount. I switched her 4 or 5 times over the next year or so to various weight management foods. She didn’t like most of them, and didn’t lose any weight at all. I finally relented and switched her to SD Perfect Weight and she has lost 6 pounds over 6 months. She loves the food, and remarkably, about 2 weeks after switching, her energy level had noticeably increased and she seemed happier. She is now about 11 years old.

Oh, and one more thing. The manager at our local Petsmart told me several months ago that Science Diet had been bought by Mars candy bar company. That FALSE info delayed my switch back to SD. Fortunately I mentioned that to my vet who told me that was false and supported my switch. Bottom line....I think I’m going to stick with Science Diet.

Original review: April 17, 2019

If you only feed the same Science Diet and don't add table food or treats, the dog's poop is not as strong smelling as from feeding other brands. Have used it for 34 years and every dog we've rescued has been given the same food. None of the dog's have ever had food or allergy issues or stomach problems. The dog(s) seem to eat only enough until they are satisfied and not overeat.

Original review: April 14, 2019

This is the brand recommended by my vet. We get it at PetSmart, which is fun as the dog like the outing to get it. My dog is old and small and their Small Paws adult is perfect. It comes in a small enough bag, so it doesn't get stale before we use it all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.?

Original review: March 1, 2020

I fed 1 dog this for yrs - she crapped all over the place. I thought she would never get potty trained. The dog I have now came to me completely potty trained - rarely an accident. He developed heart problems so I put him on Science Diet h/d (for heart issues). Came highly rated. He too suddenly developed the runs and crapped all over the place. Now I know it has nothing to do with being potty trained. DO NOT BUY THIS FOOD - there is something wrong with it Science Diet dog food. I am putting this dog back on Castor & Pollux (good food). Hindsight being 20/20 I never should of had my other dog on science diet - now I see it was the food not the dog.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

As others have noticed, Hills changed the formula for this food sometime in late 2019. My 14 year old Border Collie mix has happily eaten Science Diet for his entire life. He now lets his food sit and pretty clearly doesn't like it. He won't even eat the extra kibbles that fall on the floor. He'll immediately devour any other type of food put in front of him. So I'm looking for a new food. Not sure if this is related or not, but his skin is very dry since the food change.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

My dog is a very avid eater typically. Not picky by any means. I'm usually very particular about his diet even though I'm by no means wealthy. The vet treating his perianal fistulas recently handed us two cans of this "prescription diet." My dog refused to eat it. I didn't think twice given a vet handed it to me for free as a gift since he "liked" my guy. Turn the can around and gee no wonder!! Digestive care lol. What about the beginning of the ingredient list shows a "care" for a dog's well-being. This is overpriced cheap Purina style nonsense: Water, Turkey, Pork Liver, Rice, Modified Rice Starch, Whole Grain Corn, Egg Product, Chicken, Chicken Liver Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp, Powdered Cellulose. Corn? Really?

Seriously if you can do it and you love your pet turn the can/bag around and have a quick read. I've been feeding him Canidae limited ingredient dry rotating the kind everyday and every one of his health issues has vanished right down to his dandruff. Turns out he was having problems with allergies likely leading to part of the cause of his recent health scare. Then a vet went on attempting to make my dude even sicker with this nonsense. Don't let vets trick you apparently.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

My 10 year old cat has eaten different types of Science Diet his whole life. Recently, I opened a new bag that was marked "New Improved" and he won't have anything to do with it. I tried another type of Science Diet dry food and he won't eat it either. Over the past week, the poor thing has eaten very little. But after reading other reviews, I think I am glad he won't. He, too, has thrown up liquid, which he'd never done before. Whatever formula change was made, needs to be undone. We are now off looking for a new brand of food. Any ideas from others who have had to find something to replace the indoor adult cat formula?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I have been using Science Diet since we adopted our Lab-GSH mix four years ago. It was supposed to be high in animal protein and low on grains. Well, something changed. A month ago, while I was away, our pup had a seizure. Then a couple of weeks later, another. The vet says, genetic disposition, don't worry. But we noticed she is much more picky about eating, and sometimes chooses not to eat. She was also an eager eater. Noticed the composition of the bits were clearly different. Now, she won't even finish a bowl of food, wet or dry. I'm pretty sure something has changed, if I can't see it, our dog definitely knows, and is not happy about it. Looking for something better.

Science Diet Company Information

Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.
            www.hillspet.com