4.13/5
Based on 15 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Last updated: Oct. 31, 2017

17 Petguard Pet Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I would absolutely recommend this dog food to a friend because my dog enjoys eating it, and it's affordable for me. Also, it tastes great to my dog and smells good to him and me. The texture is great and is fun for my dog too.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

The dog food is natural and has better ingredients than other dog foods and dogs will be healthier if they eat this dog food. It can be hard to find this dog food in some stores though. They should make the dog food available in more stores where people shop such as big box stores and supermarkets. But the dog seems to enjoy the food and he is happy after eating it.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I'm happy to switch brands. I came across this brand on a blog I follow. Petguard Pet Food is a healthy and more natural food product for my dogs and they love it way more than their previous food. The only thing that I do not like about this brand of dog food is that it is not available at a local store and so I always have to plan ahead to make sure to have it on hand as to not run out.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

We enjoy buying this brand because happy dog, happy home. We have been buying this for a while. This is the one that my dog has adjusted to the best while the others always caused him to have problems. Petguard has the right texture for him to be able to chew it well. It is very healthy for dogs, gives them all the vitamins and nutrients that a dog needs and makes them have good bone growth.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

My dog enjoys Petguard Pet Food. It's good for dogs and it's important for them to get healthy. I like that it has the good flavors, like chicken and some beef, but it also has bad flavors. Usually, they throw up for eating some of those ones that has bad flavors. The smell is almost kinda like dog food but the texture is like cat food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petguard Pet Food?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Petguard looked healthy and that it would taste good for my dog. He seemed to like it a lot and wasn't fussy about it and usually he is. He looked at me like he wanted more. I was very happily surprised with this brand. The pieces weren't too big and also not completely hard like some brands have a tendency to be. However, I wish it was supplied better in my area but I live in a rural area and have to go usually about an hour and a half out of my way for it.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I loved Petguard for my dog more than anything and it good to know I can protect my dog from all the harmful chemicals in other types of dog food. I liked the texture and the ingredients were much healthy and not processed food that should not be consumed by my furry adorable best friend. I hope my dog foods were like this and make our dogs more happier and their belly more fuller.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

The packaging is easy to serve my dog and I like the way the dog food is made... It's soft, moist and chewable for my dog to eat. She enjoys eating it and always eats all her food when I serve it to her. My dog is happy, healthy and playful and loves a variety of food to choose when she eats. Hope they make a variety of it available to choose from. Other than that I recommend it to your dog cause it won't be so hard on the teeth for him/her to eat.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

This dog food is personally ideal for me because it features amazing options for dogs such as different flavors for the dogs. This is good for me because I personally have a very picky dog, but with Petguard my dog absolutely loves the variety I choose from for her. I chose this dog food over others because it seems to have a better effect on my dog and her health than others.

She seems more healthy and overall much more energetic and cheerful over the time that she has been eating Petguard. The texture is quite ordinary, but the smell is honestly so good I'd wished I was a dog just to see what it tasted like a few times. My dog seems to love eating Petguard and even seems to have a favorite flavor that she enjoys much more than others. If there is one thing I dislike about the brand, it's how the price is a bit crazy. It's a very good brand and that price won't be the lowest of them, but the price is a bit out of bounds. I also think if they are to price so much for the dog food, they should be able to package more. But overall, my experience with Petguard has been amazing.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

The things I like about PetGuard are the high protein content, quality ingredients, no cheap filler ingredients, and great reviews online. My dog seemed to like the taste and I felt like the food was a healthy choice for our small dog. But I would like smaller bits for small/toy dogs. I would also like to have some sort of zipper to be able to close the bag again once opened. And the graphics on the bag don't really stand out. I looked over the bag several times while looking for a dog food. But overall, I had a positive experience with the food.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Petguard is a little bit more expensive than some other brands that I have seen and even bought before at the grocery and other stores; and doesn't do everything I would like a dog food to do for my dog. It smells like your everyday run of the mill dog food and it feels like regular dog food and I figured it would most definitely make my favorite little doggy healthy and happy.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

We choose Petguard because it was a grain free formula. After eliminating all grain from our dogs diet he is no longer itchy. We like that it is small pieces. It makes it easier for our old dog to chew. He has trouble eating because he is loosing teeth, due to being fifteen years old. It also seems to help with his joints. It has a very strong fishy smell. Our dog seems to really like it but we have to make sure that the bag gets zipped closed or the entire house smells like dog food.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

What I like the features of Petguard because they are good for my pet. They (Petguard) make me feel save to uses on my pet. My pet love this dog food. My pet takes it everywhere with him. What I dislike about Petguard is they cost way way way too much for what you get but since I love my pet I guess I will have to pay their price until I can find it cheaper.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

My dogs like Petguard and love the taste and get excited when I show them the bag from Pet Smart. Good dog food and a great brand to rely on and very affordable for dog owners and very easy to purchase. I usually buy mine from Pet Smart and use a coupon to get a better deal off of a already good deal. However, it would be nice if there were more quantity wise and a fancier packaging that is stronger and easier to carry. Also have them available all over to different stores and countries worldwide.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2013

My dog ate Pet Guard for years, then in 2010 my dog almost died when she would not stop having diarrhea for weeks. The veterinarian could not figure out what was making my dog so sick, but, a friend suggested trying a different dog food and that was the answer to my prayers because when I switched dog food she finally got better. I don't know if they changed the formula or if the food was tainted or if the quality had changed but she no longer could tolerate that dog food.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2010

I have been feeding my cats PetGuard Premium Feast for about six months and they loved it. Unfortunately, they love it too much. They appear to be ravenously hungry at all hours of the day and night. One of my cats is skin and bones and is constantly begging for food. Has anyone had this experience with PetGuard? I'm beginning to wonder what might be in there that is causing this effect. They are now up to 1/2 of a 14 oz. can (the big ones) each twice a day and they are still starving. Is this normal?

Original review: June 28, 2010

I have been feeding my cats several premium foods, including PetGuard. I ran out of most of the formulas and was feeding only what I had left, a lot of PetGuard Premium Feast Dinner (14 oz. cans), some of which I had ordered from PetFoodDirect.com and some of which I had purchased locally. Yesterday, my 21-year-old twice threw up "clear" fluid with some pinkish material in it, which I determined to be blood. He is in kidney failure so he tends to throw up fairly often. But he doesn't throw up blood. And he's been throwing up much more frequently lately (sometimes food, sometimes clear fluids). And a light went on in my head. All or most of my cats have been throwing up every day for a while. (And, more so after I had only PetGuard Premium Dinner remaining on my shelves). This is not normal here. This exact scenario had presented itself in my home previously, only once a few years ago when I was feeding some Purina Canned Foods (Friskies) mixed with raw meat. I was using Friskies initially as a "starting point"/tempter in order to acclimate my cats to the raw meat. (Don't need any tempter any more, they now love raw meat). When I stopped feeding the Friskies (not the raw meat), my cats stopped throwing up. I believe that it was shortly after I stopped the Friskies that I located the information on ConsumerAffairs.net that Purina Pet Foods across the board were killing dogs and cats and/or making them sick, some with symptoms very similar to what I had seen in my cats.

As of last night, I stopped feeding the PetGuard. None of my cats have thrown up today, not even my 21-year-old. I shall be returning the remainder of this PetGuard Food. I believe there is something wrong with it. I don't know if it's just this formula or more. Previously, I was feeding some of the PetGuard Chicken and Venison formulas, too. If you are feeding any PetGuard Foods, please pay close attention to your animals. If any of them seems to be feeling "off" in any way, I would suggest stopping the PetGuard and see if they improve. I believe my cats have been sick from this food. One of my weaker cats died very recently. I am now wondering if the PetGuard Food I was feeding him was the cause.

Petguard Pet Food Company Information