Petguard Pet Food

Compare Dog Food

Research top Dog Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My dog ate Pet Guard for years, then in 2010 my dog almost died when she would not stop having diarrhea for weeks. The veterinarian could not figure out what was making my dog so sick, but, a friend suggested trying a different dog food and that was the answer to my prayers because when I switched dog food she finally got better. I don't know if they changed the formula or if the food was tainted or if the quality had changed but she no longer could tolerate that dog food.

I have been feeding my cats PetGuard Premium Feast for about six months and they loved it. Unfortunately, they love it too much. They appear to be ravenously hungry at all hours of the day and night. One of my cats is skin and bones and is constantly begging for food. Has anyone had this experience with PetGuard? I'm beginning to wonder what might be in there that is causing this effect. They are now up to 1/2 of a 14 oz. can (the big ones) each twice a day and they are still starving. Is this normal?

I have been feeding my cats several premium foods, including PetGuard. I ran out of most of the formulas and was feeding only what I had left, a lot of PetGuard Premium Feast Dinner (14 oz. cans), some of which I had ordered from PetFoodDirect.com and some of which I had purchased locally. Yesterday, my 21-year-old twice threw up "clear" fluid with some pinkish material in it, which I determined to be blood. He is in kidney failure so he tends to throw up fairly often. But he doesn't throw up blood. And he's been throwing up much more frequently lately (sometimes food, sometimes clear fluids). And a light went on in my head. All or most of my cats have been throwing up every day for a while. (And, more so after I had only PetGuard Premium Dinner remaining on my shelves). This is not normal here. This exact scenario had presented itself in my home previously, only once a few years ago when I was feeding some Purina Canned Foods (Friskies) mixed with raw meat. I was using Friskies initially as a "starting point"/tempter in order to acclimate my cats to the raw meat. (Don't need any tempter any more, they now love raw meat). When I stopped feeding the Friskies (not the raw meat), my cats stopped throwing up. I believe that it was shortly after I stopped the Friskies that I located the information on ConsumerAffairs.net that Purina Pet Foods across the board were killing dogs and cats and/or making them sick, some with symptoms very similar to what I had seen in my cats.

As of last night, I stopped feeding the PetGuard. None of my cats have thrown up today, not even my 21-year-old. I shall be returning the remainder of this PetGuard Food. I believe there is something wrong with it. I don't know if it's just this formula or more. Previously, I was feeding some of the PetGuard Chicken and Venison formulas, too. If you are feeding any PetGuard Foods, please pay close attention to your animals. If any of them seems to be feeling "off" in any way, I would suggest stopping the PetGuard and see if they improve. I believe my cats have been sick from this food. One of my weaker cats died very recently. I am now wondering if the PetGuard Food I was feeding him was the cause.

Petguard Pet Food Company Profile