2. Pets

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2014

I was given a quote of 189.00 for canine dental cleaning. They called to say I needed a pre-op surgery visit for 40.00. Ok that's reasonable. But I get there for the

appointment 39 hours later and it's another 40.00 added on again. Nice scam they have going on-lying about the cost and playing on your emotions. I left with the pup, but I'm out 40.00. The average price for canine dental cleaning in Austin is 150-200 so they are way above, however that's not the issue. The issue is they are lying about the fee!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2014

NEVER EVER SIGN UP FOR A PET PLAN WITH THIS COMPANY! When you cancel plan, they charge you all the money you "saved" for using them! They do unnecessary tests and the vets are uneducated! I took my dog to a vet with 20 years experience and it cost 1/3 of Banfield and was told all the "tests" Banfield insisted my dog needed were totally unnecessary! I paid $39 a month for the plan that was supposed to cover all my dog's visits, yet I never left the office paying less than $150 EVERY TIME! When I cancelled the "Wellness" plan, they charged me an additional $306.00! RIP OFF!!!!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2014

We brought our Yorkie puppy in at 3 months. He was totally healthy, just needed his shots. We were very happy with the level of service that was provided and totally impressed with Dr. Toler. Diezel had an ear infection. She prescribed meds and it was cleared up in no time.... We love this place.....

Original review: Dec. 22, 2013

So I've been paying every month for my dog Roco. He was 3 years old. He passed away Monday. I contacted Banfield Hospital telling them my dog passed away and they said to me I have to pay $181.00 to cancel my dog's insurance when he's deceased. I was like, "Are you serious, I have to make every month until his contract is done even though he's gone?" All they want is money. They don't care for the animals. So today, I go in to get my new dog chihuahua Roxie nails done and they had the guts to tell me she has worms or something wrong stomach. They aren't vets. After that I had the rudest vet at the front desk ever. She gave me the worst attitude ever. I walk off saying I'm never coming back ever. So, I'm not going to pay $181.00 to cancel my dog insurance.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2013

I was transferred to online customer support to access my pet information online and Banfield employee refused to assist me without my wife's approval. My wife is a nurse, worked all night long and one thing I refuse to wake her is for online confirmation so I can access online records for my pet.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2013

I took my first dog. I was charge $400.00 and some for some shots and lab work. I took another dog where I took my first dog for his dental appointment. Instead of his dental appointment they gave him some more shots and I was told that I would have to make another appointment for his dental work. For both of my children I paid about $600.00 and some. The bill came to about $1200.00 and I am still paying closed to $70.00 out of my account every month. I stop taking them there and soon I'm going to put a stop on them taking money out of my account. I am on disability. I don't have a money tree. I took them there for one thing and did whatever they wanted and I don't believe they be doing anything they be charging for. I am glad I didn't take my friend dog.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2013

We will NEVER use Banfield again. We discovered a flea on our female cat so asked what flea medicine Banfield recommends. They said they sell one you can only buy via their vet. We purchased the med for our two cats at Banfield Pet hospital in St. Petersburg, FL. Nothing was explained to us - the tech handed us a bag and took our money. When we read the Banfield-printed instructions adhered to the plastic bottles containing tubes of First Shield we were confused. It said to give the medicine by mouth with food. We had never used this flea medicine or purchased anything through Banfield before. As our cats are indoors, we don't give them flea medicine unless we see one and the only other flea med we ever gave them was topical.

I didn't feel something was right so before squeezing down their throats, we decided to drive back to the hospital and check this out. The afternoon technician took one look at the medicine and said it was topical, asked another technician about the label. That technician said, "Oh yea, we have been having problems with labels printing out incorrect instructions!" They knew but yet didn't alert their entire staff. Would Hannah and Maxi still be with us if I hadn't had some strange feeling about this product? Thank the Lord there are guardian angels around us because you need them if you use Banfield Pet Hospital.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2013

I took my cat in to Banfield today for a puncture wound on his paw. The vet tech was very nice and seemed to care about my cat very much. Took his temperature looked at his foot, ears and skin. Then went out of the room and said the vet would be right in. About 15-20 minutes later, the vet and the vet tech come in and the vet just sits on a stool and looks at my cat. All he did was examine his eyes, barely looked at his paw, and didn't clean it even though it was an open wound. He said he didn't clean it because he didn't want to stress out my cat and that I could clean it at home, just as I had been doing. He gave me antibiotics, a gel for his eyes.

The vet tech gave him his rabies shot, and the vet said to come back in two weeks. Before I met the doctor I was asked if I wanted to sign up for the wellness plan, which I agreed to, but after meeting the vet, who did absolutely nothing but shine a light in my cat's eye, I am regretting signing up for it. I plan on cancelling the plan once the year is up and my cat has all of his shots.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2013

After ~13 years with Banfield I cancelled them after dealing one time with their Customer Service department. One of my pet dogs died in March 2013 and Banfield continued to bill me monthly. I tried to make an appointment for another one of my pet dogs in person at the local hospital and was told I did not have insurance for that dog, but did have insurance for the deceased pet. I asked why that was and the hospital could not give me any info as to why.

I called the 1.888 number and spoke to one representative who gave me some information, but stated that I had to speak to cancellation department. She transferred me to Cancellation, after speaking with the 2nd Representative, she stated that I could not Cancel coverage on deceased pet since wife signed agreement even though bill was being paid out of my personal checking account. The 2nd pet did not have insurance coverage as that insurance was setup via a debit card which had expired, and Banfield was not able to charge me, hence no insurance coverage. Well at that point I lost it and I just stopped the nonsensical discussion from the CSR and told her that i was stopping authorization for Banfield to auto-debit my Checking account. I called my bank and stopped Banfield charges. Seems Banfield can charge insurance for a dead pet but not a live pet.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2013

First, my dogs are my world. I have an elderly giant breed. I found her one morning unable to move herself. I immediately panicked. Banfield was the only place open that early so I took her there. Before we even arrived, she had bounced back and was back to herself; took her in anyway just to be sure. The staff is very friendly toward me and my pets but are either lacking some serious knowledge or are required to stack the dollar signs. For just the 1st visit, they took some blood, ran their hands over her, listened to her; the basics that would be included in a standard office fee visit elsewhere was being presented to me as $718. I still at this point have no idea what is wrong with my dog. So I'm told, “Ok, either $718 or $40 a month for this plan and it covers all of these amazing things. You can even bring her in here, no charge anytime you want.” Wow! That sounds like a great deal. Let’s do that.

Now I'm told that it appears to be congestive heart failure for my dog, oh my own has broken at this point. They wanted to run another $1700 in tests on top of the $718 and me signing up for the highest level plan. I decide not to take action at this point. I will do anything for my dog but I needed to research this first. I do a lot of research and find the symptoms aren't the same as what caused the concern to begin with nor with her current behavior (which was back to normal). I decide that at her age, 7yr old Great Dane, it would be too stressful for her to go through hours of tests and being in a strange place with strange people. Even though I pointed out this concern and reminded them of her age, they showed no concern for it. Anyone with common sense would know the issues undue stress would cause an old dog with "heart failure".

I go in a couple weeks later for a follow up and of course there is yet another vet that doesn't seem to know anything about the assumed heart failure, "Her heart sounds great." Now it’s been reduced to anaphylactic shock! Really? 2 weeks ago, 1700$ in tests was the only answer? We have to go back a week or so later for her annual shots now that she is fine. Oh now it looks like when her blood work was done on the original visit, her liver levels were down so she wanted me to buy pills well over $100. I gave my standard answer I'll research it and decide. Milk Thistle can be bought OTC for very cheap is what I found.

The very last time I will ever step foot there was when my dog threw up hair (her own), not common for dogs like cats and I have free office visits so let’s go check this out right. Again, they aren't sure what is wrong with her but we should run $1200 in tests to find out (at least I'm saving $500 this time!). That’s $1200 on top of their fanciest plan for a dog that threw up hair one time, has normal behavior, eating normal and drinking water. Absolutely not! So I should at least take home the $70 pills to make her feel better, to this I had to ask, “You don't even know what is wrong with her, how do you know if you should put this in her body or not and if it will make her feel better? What are you treating if we still need $1200 in tests?”

I have no faith in this place at all. I'm not sure if the "vets" are told to play stupid or if they really are and just use webmd/pets to diagnose. 0 times I was given a solution or even an acceptable option. I understand that sometimes it can be difficult to find the issue with an animal but any other vet will apply some common sense and experience, narrow it down and get a plan which is generally pretty solid. I have had vets tell me that this could cost upwards of x amount of dollars, or that we would start here and then go there, but I was given the facts, the options and felt like those vets were there to help me make a sound decision that was best for the pet. I have put some serious money into pets over the years and would again but not to pad someone’s pockets which is the only thing this place is doing. Preying someone’s love of their pet is pretty low. I am still stuck with this monthly payment but I'm just letting that money go. As recently as today, I paid another vet to see my dog, no unnecessary tests, no scare tactics, a solid diagnosis and fair bill that I paid on my way out, not for the next year.

Aside from finding them completely incapable, you cannot visit my local office in less than 3 hours even if you don't agree to have any of the tests run and are the only patient there. You check in quickly and then straight into the room you go, yes! We are looking good. After a dreadfully long wait, a tech comes in, just to turn on a video for you though (to sell you on something else). After even more time the tech returns. You have explain the reason for being there, they look over the dog, listen, take temp, etc. Then disappear with promises of the Vet being right in. At about the point when you are ready to lay down in the floor with the dogs, the vet comes in. You have to explain again, they type things into the computer and advise the tech will be back with the "plan" which appears to be a list of every test they offer.

Now you wait again. If you don’t agree with the plan, then the tech has to go back to the vet, which is not a quick process. It's very similar to mediation. Eventually, the plan is finalized and you get to wait even longer if you opted for anything or go check out and pay for all of the things that your dog must have that aren't covered by the plan that was definitely the best plan for pet. Also, aside from the receptionist, you never see the same face. I will not use or recommend this chain to anyone. A healthy pet only needs to see a vet once maybe twice a year, why pay every single month? Based on what I've spent this year vs what I would have spent had I taken her to a different vet originally, it was not the cost effective choice. For a puppy or an elderly pet, it’s an excellent idea but poorly executed; no benefit to the consumer or pet, only the company.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2013

I was on my way to my pet hospital when a delivery truck rear ended my PT Cruiser and slammed me into the car in front of me, injuring myself and my cat and ended up totaling my car. This devastated me and as a result, I lost my wallet with all of my ID's in the week following the accident. I took my cat in for x-rays the following week. After waiting for an insurance check to pay for the x-rays, I deposited the check and the bank ended up issuing me a temporary debit card. While at the bank, I called from the bank and I asked if it was okay to pay with a debit card using a pin. Both the banker and I were told it would be okay. I went over there to pay with the debit card, made two attempts to pay and their machine would not take the payment.

I was told they were going to take me to collections. I called the very next morning to their corporate office and explained I would pay as soon as I got the new debit card and was told the account would be held till the 27th. This did not happen. It was reported to collections. They lied, treated me callously and was shocked by their actions. Have always liked my hospital till now. The bill is paid as promised but my statement reads collections. This sickens me how callous and cruel they are. I like my vets but don't feel I can do business with a company that would lie. It was their fault their machine wouldn't accept my card.

I am disabled, have a hard time enough getting financed for credit with my very low income and for them to further try and ruin me, it’s just too much for me to bear. I've been through hell. I am wearing both a neck brace and a sling on my arm making it hard for me to drive. I got the money to them as fast as I could. I am alone and a disabled senior citizen. I also was told by them if I felt they were so bad then I could leave. Not before they cancel my three plans with them. I won’t let them get away with ruining my good name. I'm shocked and ashamed now my statement reads collections. Refused to remove it even after it was paid as promised and after was told it would not even go into collections in the first place. Liars. I would never again recommend this hospital again to anyone. Never ever.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2013

In July of 2011, a beautiful Maine Coon cat showed up at our house, a stray. We thought it was a she because of its features, the way it went pee, and the absence of male genitalia. We took it to Banfield for a wellness exam and they asked us if it was a Male or Female and I remember saying, "We think female, but we don't know. It's a stray. That's what we're here to find out." The vet examined the cat and told us it was a female, 2yrs old, and put Gender: Female (Spayed) on its pet identification. In the examination report, it says under UROGENITAL SYSTEM Normal/non-painful. WE BELIEVED we had a healthy FEMALE cat! We took HER in to Banfield again for shots last year and another vet looked at her and commented on HER size being large for a FEMALE and gave the shots and we left.

Two weeks ago, SHE started peeing out of her box, which SHE NEVER does, and we researched reasons why FEMALE cats do this and we learned that UTI's are common and treatable at home. So we started treating HER for a UTI. After a few days, SHE seemed fine. Then a week later, it seemed as if SHE had a bowel obstruction so we took HER to Banfield. It wasn't until they did an x-ray to see the obstruction that they discovered that our GIRL was a NEUTERED MALE and had no bowel obstruction but was suffering from Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD), a very serious condition! Had we known our cat was a MALE, we would have researched why MALE cats pee outside of their box, and known the severity and danger of this condition, and taken HIM to the vet immediately!

After 3 days of suffering, intense treatments and over $900 later, we had to euthanize a wonderful, loving, member of our family. The vet and staff seemed genuinely sympathetic, kind and considerate for our loss, but unapologetic for the mistake of an INCOMPLETE INITIAL EXAMINATION and IMPROPER GENDER IDENTIFICATION which led to our cat’s untimely death. How did this happen? If they can't tell if it's a male or female, how do we know if all these charges on our bills are valid? How can we trust Banfield again when their staff can't get something as basic as a cat's GENDER correct? Needless to say, we will no longer be taking our pets there.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2013

I was astounded concerning the little pay that the hardworking employees received. There were some vet techs with associate degrees that received $10 an hour. I received $12 an hour,and had a Bachelors. The company is owned by the MARS corporation, and I would think that a multibillion dollar corporation could afford to pay their employees more. What a greedy company this MARS company must be. How awful... These kids are falling all over themselves trying to be perfect for very little income. What a waste of good talent... Is the job market that bad?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2013

Had a horrible experience with my dog at the Banfield in Nanuet, NY. We had the Wellness plan for over 8 years. Decided after this experience to cancel my plan and seek a Vet where we can establish a more personal relationship. Banfield at Nanuet have a revolving staff and personnel. Atmosphere has changed in the last two years with different faces and people who don't really know the history of your dog except through their computers. My dog suffered a hematoma from a doctor who was trying to draw blood for a heart worm test and had to prick my dog three times before getting three drops of blood. My dog screamed endlessly and when I asked doctor to stop she kept on going. My dog was unable to put her paw down for that entire day and seemed depressed after that experience.

A follow up call from someone in that office did not express any sympathy or concerns about our experience. We indicated we wanted to cancel our plan and find a Vet who could attend to our dog's need in a more professional and personal level. Never tried to convince us to stay. Was given the corporate number to call. Person at the corporate office apologize for our experience and once I told her we were canceling the plan, she told us that since our plan was just renewed the services that were provided on that visit were not covered and we had to pay full price and if we didn't they couldn't cancel our automatic monthly charge.

They are heartless and are only concern in making money. No sympathy, no what can we do to keep you as a customer. So do yourself a favor and don't buy into that wellness plan cause you truly are not saving any money. We paid $25.00 a month for eight years and perhaps took our dog every other year so If I had had no plan and paid for services rendered whenever I took her, I would have saved a lot of money paying for services. Banfield is too big to care.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2013

I have visited the Banfield in the alliance town center, Keller, TX three times now. The only reason for that number of visits is that they were, unfortunately, the only pet hospital open late enough for these situations. First trip was when I came across an orphaned kitten (4 weeks) in horrible shape; I have never seen an animal clinging to life so minimally. The kitten's breathing was beyond the point of labored and its body on the verge of being lifeless; limp body, eyes swollen shut, nothing but bones when you held him. The sight of just his neck was too much to bare. I immediately headed to the Banfield for an examination. My fear was that his death was inevitable and by the looks of him, that he was suffering greatly. I had the ultimate displeasure of dealing with **, by my experiences I would classify him as more of a narcissist than a qualified Veterinarian. I expressed that I would do whatever needed to be done, but if he was in pain and on his way out then I did not want to prolong this. He looked at me, seeing dollar signs I'm positive, and told me that would be outrageous.

Without examination and zero tests done, all this kitten needed according to him would be an antibiotic ointment put in his eyes twice daily. I was shocked. I questioned myself thinking good lord I'm over here talking about euthanasia and here all this guy needs is some ointment and TLC. My gut instinct was right however. Almost immediately after my visit I knew Dr. ** was full of it. I took the kitten to a second Vet who was immediately taken back by the obvious severe condition this cat was in. She explained to me that the eyes were the least of our concern and that the ointment was seemingly a waste of time and $100, just for the ointment. She was a caring doctor and tried to remain hopeful seeing that I was willing to do whatever necessary. She leveled with me and told me she couldn't understand Dr. ** point of view, and braced me for the reality that this cat had little chance of making it.

After actually conducting an exam and tests she set me up with everything I would need, stating that if I was willing to give it my all they were too. They only charged me for the cost of the exam. Two days later after only getting worse and most likely suffering more each day, Wolverine died. He actually took his last breath in my hands while I was cleaning him. I didn't think I could cry so hard in that situation. He didn't deserve to have his agony drawn out so that Banfield could prescribe overpriced medicine and examination fee's. Over $200 just to Banfield.

A few days after he died Banfield called me to inform me I needed to have a check up with Wolverine. I informed the receptionist of his death and she just said, "Oh, ok then" sounding displeased towards me just before hanging up. I am now dealing with a puppy I rescued from the petsmart adoption center. After seeing Dr. ** the pet whisperer, was diagnosed with a "Cough" not even Kennel Cough. Dr. ** did not remember me as he proceeded to neglect the exam I was there for, and inform me of HIS recent bout with vertigo. Oh and a herniated disc. Also that he was cheap himself and the price of the two antibiotics ($110) HE was prescribing me was steep even to him and that he would have a tough time ponying it up. He did not run any tests to see if something more severe may be happening even though I expressed my concern of parvo. I regretted even wasting my time and decided I would rather spend another sum of money with a vet I trusted than to go with his observations. $300 later I have a confirmed case of parvo. I just hope wasting more time at Banfield will not cost the life of my newest family addition. As many before me have said, if you love your pets please see a more reputable pet hospital.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2013

My boyfriend did not have a bank account at the time so I agreed to pay for this plan out of my account for the agreed time, for one year, which I did. It was automatic so it was never late and the funds was always there. Two months before the contract expired I called and canceled. They told me ok and I thought that was the end. Well after the two months was over I noticed that they started taking the fee out again. So I called them and asked why after I already set it up to be stopped. They said it is set up for automatic renewal. How is this possible when I told them to stop! I contacted my bank right away to put a stop payment on this and I will NEVER do business with them again! Consumers beware!!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2013

My husband and I go to the Banfield in Beaverton, OR on 185th and Walker. We have been going there since Sept 2010. They have always treated our dogs and us with respect and care. When we had our little girl dog Daisy spayed, we thought that the plan we had covered it, but it did not. The puppy plus plan did before they were a year old. The bill was almost 400 dollars more than what we thought. They took that 400 dollars off. Then when we got the puppy plan plus for our boy dog, Harley, and went to get him fixed, we were not on that plan. They had us on just the puppy plan that did not include it. They fixed it and put us on the right one.

All of the girls that work there and the vets have ALWAYS been wonderful to us and our dogs and have always known what they were doing and knowledgeable about what has been wrong with them. And when we had to have our baby girl Tasha put to sleep at a specialist and we had to tell them at Banfield, they sent us a "We are sorry for your loss" card with all the people that worked there's signatures including the vets. WE LOVE THEM!!!!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2013

So my puppy was on the wellness plan and was getting his shots. After the second set of shots that took place Wed., we had noted he was sneezing. It could be coincidence but he stopped eating. Then on Friday he started puking. I took him to the Banfield Sunday after seeing he was getting worse. They tested for parvo and did blood work and said they didn't find anything, maybe an ear infection. This was not covered by the wellness plan that was purchased (about $80). Then Monday I had to work but my boyfriend didn't and I told him to take the puppy to Banfield because the anti-vomit was making him puke even more. He did as soon as they opened and was told they didn't know exactly what is wrong. They needed $175 for X-ray and $400 for surgery then $800 for secondary surgery if needed (The second would need to be sent somewhere else), all money needed to be paid up front. I then got notified from my boyfriend that they put my puppy down because he was in too much pain. Why is there no payment plan because it came down to money whether my dog lived? I was at Banfield multiple times and no one really said what was wrong with my puppy. All that they seemed to care about is what to tack onto your bill. How did my bf have the ability to put my dog down that is legally in my name?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2013

Following are my personal experience and opinion. Using Banfield's coupon for a "free exam," I took my cat who'd lost his tooth and was exhibiting symptoms of infection. I expected to be overcharged for the antibiotics, but I was shocked and disgusted by what happened when my cat and I got to the Paramus, NJ hospital/store. Keep in mind, that all of what the Banfield vet said, sounds plausible, but I couldn't trust anything she said, due to her focus on making money.

First, the free coupon is false advertising, and is useless, because they won't even check your pet unless you provide written proof of his rabies vaccines, which I didn't have available (And it doesn't say that anywhere on the coupon). They insisted he needed a rabies shot before they'd even check him, which I would've agreed to pay for, except that my cat was ill, and not in shape to get a vaccine at that moment. The receptionist said to ask the vet.

The vet comes in and refuses to examine my cat, unless I agree to "sedate" him. I've had pets all my life and have never had to have one sedated just to be examined. Marbles is 11 years old and has never been sedated for an exam. I asked how much it would cost and she had to step out to get an estimate. That's another thing. The vet and the tech kept stepping out and leaving me there for ten minutes at a time. They finally came in at one point with an invoice. When they realized I had no money for them to get, the doctor, without even examining Marbles, said the only thing she could do is possibly start him on "clinical trials of Clindamycin." I did agree to try this antibiotic therapy with Marbles, since he's tolerated it before.

Instinctively I knew not to put Marbles under general anesthesia, which is what the invoiced drugs were for. I've since researched them online and have found that what Banfield tried to sell me was actually life-threatening for my cat! Animal should have been fasting for 12 hours prior. Marbles had not, and they didn't even ask if he had. The food inside could have caused him to aspirate on his own vomit and die. One of the drugs is contraindicated for cats with hypotension. They did not even check his blood pressure before recommending I allow them to administer this to my cat. One of the drugs is listed on a Vethealth website as only to be used for dogs.

They even refused my request for them to take my cat's temperature. What kind of an "exam" is this? After several "stepping outs" they asked if I could remove the cat from his holder, which I did. As I held Marbles, the vet briefly checked his mouth. She said this exam was inconclusive and he needs to undergo "sedation" to be examined further.

When I got home I researched the drugs, and the combination Banfield had suggested was not for sedation, it was for general anesthesia. For a declawed cat (he's an indoor rescue cat). For an initial exam. Aren't vets trained to examine animals? This "doctor" acted like Marbles was a steaming biohazard. She acted like I was an ATM machine. I can understand her statement that she didn't want to get bit by a rabid cat, but (a) he's not rabid, and (b) every other vet I've ever taken any of my pets to, managed to examine them without sedating them, much less putting them under general anesthesia. And if they didn't have the vaccine info, we'd simply make an appointment to get them the next week when the pet was feeling better.

These are the drugs she ordered: Antisedan 5 mg/ml injectable, Dexdomitor0.5 mg/ml/ Ketamine100mg/ml/ Torbutrol 10mg/ml. So, this Banfield hospital is a consumer threat on two levels: Free coupon or not, you don't get a free exam, they refuse to examine the animal unless you pay for other services in order to do it, even if you tell them the animal is suffering; you have to negotiate with them even as the cat is on the exam table, as they try to sell you expensive "services," and worse: they recommend potentially life-threatening procedures for pets. It's bad enough they do this at all; that they do it for money is even worse.

As it stands, they still recommend that I come in, subject my cat to these procedures, and pay $150, for the (anesthetized) examination alone. That's not even including whatever treatment they may find to be "necessary," which I wouldn't be able to trust anyway, given their unsatisfactory initial handling of my cat. So now I still need to take him to a reputable vet, to get an actual exam, and treatment he needs for his health, which is really what the veterinarian is there for, not to be a sales associate. In my personal opinion, keep your animal safe and keep him or her away from Banfield Hospital!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2013

DO NOT BRING YOUR PET HERE! They will do anything to get as much money as they can from you. My puppy had a small growth on his belly since birth. I asked them about it and after 3 in office tests and about $300 later, they assured me it was ringworm and placed me on a series of medications and shampoos which went on for about 4 weeks. After seeing no progress of healing, they did yet another test and told me that it was a "malignant tumor" and needed to be removed immediately and quoted me for about $900 for the surgery.

Now mind you my puppy was only 12 weeks when they told me this and cancer that severe in a puppy so young seemed nearly impossible. I decided to take him to another vet (not Banfield) for a second opinion. Of course the vet told me that it was most likely nothing and not to even worry about it due to the fact that he's so young and showed ZERO signs of having cancer. He then told me that if I wanted it removed that he could do it for no more than $350. I decided to change to a different Banfield location and they tested him (and charged me again) for mange which was one of the tests the first Banfield location tested for and he tested positive! He is on medicine for it now.

Be careful. They charge you for EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING. I have spent over $1,000 for my puppy who just turned 4 months and acts perfectly normal despite the demodectic mange. If I could turn back time, I would have never stepped foot into this place. Unfortunately I am bound by contract with Banfield right now, but I would never recommend this place to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2013

This is in regard to the Pottstown, PA Banfield Pet Hospital, Dr. **. My 8 month old puppy was very sick & admitted. I had very little money on me & told them to do what they needed to do & I will get the payment to them later in the day. The Vet told me that I had to make sure I brought the payment back because "she had bills to pay too". I told her I would & I signed for specific tests to be run & an x-ray to be done to determine the issue. Vet doctor said tests came back negative. She told me that he needed to be sent to a 24 hour hospital because he needed to stay on an IV. She told me they "felt" his abdomen & he didn't seem to be in pain when she touched it so they would not do an x-ray (that I consented to). She told me that I can leave it up to the 24 hour hosp to determine if they wanted to do one.

As I was on my way to pick him up to transport him to the 24 hour hospital, I got a call that he was crashing & asked what I wanted to do. I told them to just save my dog. By the time I got there, the receptionist said they were working on him & as she said that the Vet walked out taking off her gloves & said "he's dead". I was at the vet for an additional hour & not once seen that doctor again or got an explanation. When I finally made myself go back to see him to say goodbye, the nurse showed me a 5 inch object that looked like a sock that he defecated. I asked if that was the reason he died & they told me they had "no way to know".

I signed consent for him to be cremated & ashes returned to me. My husband called them the next day to see the reason for his death & they said they did not run an autopsy so they do not know. He asked them if they asked me if I wanted one when I was there & the receptionist told him "no". He then told them he would like one & they told him it is too late now. I was not aware that they could autopsy him as they never mentioned a thing to me when I asked how we can determine if the object was the reason for his death. It was extremely obvious that the blockage was the reason for his death & they were trying to not let me know that because I asked for an x-ray & they did not do one. They also seemed as though they didn't want to help him because they were worried they weren't going to get their money. The two vet doctors that were there were very insensitive.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2013

First of all, they are taking some serious money out of my account. Even when I don't even take the dog to the vet they are still taking $100 out of my account every month! A rip off! And when I take him to the vet they will still charge me for their "extras"; that should be included in the plan! I don't recommend people to join this plan of theirs. And now that I want to cancel this plan of theirs, they want to charge me like $800.00!! Hated it. I don't recommend it.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2013

I get ALL of my pooch's products from PetSmart, in addition to grooming him there. I have taken him there for his entire 5 year lifespan. I have ZERO complaints about PetSmart, but when I took Brooks to Banfield, we were not treated with any compassion or respect. I went to PetSmart to get his food and other products. I figured since we were there and I didn't want to subject him to another errand that day, I would take him Banfield instead of traumatize him with a separate trip to an animal hospital. The girl told me that he could not be taken right away because he didn't have a serious injury. He was basically walking with three legs. I loaded him into a cart so he didn't have to try to walk. The girl told me it was a 45 minute wait. Ok, fine.

Pooch and I sat and waited. I didn't have my phone or a watch to keep time. I saw the time when we were taken back. We watched all the regular customers get greeted with excitement and a smile. We never got that. He was taken back into a room. We should be seen soon, right? No. Waited some more. Finally all said and done, the 'vet' could not get his knee back into joint. We went home with pain meds, anti-inflammatories, some skin treatment because he had licked his bad foot raw on two of his toes. She said to come back in a week and if his knee was still out of joint we should consider surgery.

I read over his paperwork after we got settled that evening. Their comments included overweight, bad teeth, bad skin. He is supposed to be seen in 7 days. We will definitely be going to our regular vet. Their only goal in this 'hospital' is to make money, not heal. IF YOU HAVE ANY LOVE FOR YOUR PET PLEASE GO SOMEWHERE ELSE......

Original review: Oct. 30, 2013

My husband and I are writing to you because of the continued harassment that Banfield is giving to our family. We purchased the "Wellness Plan" because we love our Schnauzer just as if he were human. As most married couples who can't have children usually do we spoil our "pet". When my father had a heart attack and my husband was on his Eighth Combat Tour, I had no choice but to travel by car to see him as I could not kennel my child. I never have and I never will put him in a "cage"! I had already paid five months of payments to Banfield through my bank automatic allotment. We moved from Fort Bliss in El Paso, Texas to Fort Carson in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

There were not any Bank of America Branches here at Fort Carson so we were forced to change our Financial Institution. We would have gladly continued to pay if not for TWO HUGE reasons and both fall on the part of Banfield. The first is the fact that I called and gave my banking information to a young lady and she failed to do what was required to comply with Banfield regulations. The second and most devastating was the employee at the Banfield location at PetSmart located on Academy Boulevard here in Colorado Springs, and her words and attitude to us about my father.

When I contacted Banfield to notify that location that I would not be available for Padre's booster shot, I was NEVER told that if I missed that appointment I would have to PAY to start over on that vaccination. Why would I when I am in their Wellness Plan and pay EVERY month? When I returned and attempted to receive his second shot the young lady (and I am being polite calling her a lady) told me in this exact quote: "We do not care if your father was in ICU and almost died, that is not our problem! You HAVE to pay for the entire shot process over again because YOU failed to comply with our Optimum plan." I was stunned and told her that I would not pay again as I have been nothing but a loyal and respectful customer and then I said this: "If you ever say anything so stupid to me or another client again, not only will I attempt to have you removed from your job but I will go on the news and tell them how Banfield treats their Military families" End quote!

I have since attempted to contact the Veterinarian(s) at this location. I have been told that there are two part time Vets who are on "loan" from another Animal Hospital and only one Vet who actually works for Banfield. I have left seventeen messages to have her call me and she has not returned ONE call. I have been to the location on six occasions as I have Padre groomed at that Pet Smart location and the Grooming department can tell you that I love my Padre and I tip very well for their service. This is NOT about their $34.00 a month fee, this is not about their Optimum Plan, it is about that location not following their own rules! This is about INTEGRITY.

My husband is now deployed on his NINTH combat tour and I have just had a Bilateral Mastectomy for LDIC Breast Cancer. I am currently not working as I am recuperating here without any family other than my Padre. I am sure that if I take this situation to the local news, someone else will pay this "debt" for my husband. Who let me mention has earned FIVE Bronze Stars for Valor in his NINE Combat Tours defending ALL Countries both Foreign and Domestic!! I believe that we have paid for the services that Padre received. We paid over three hundred dollars and he did not receive that amount of care. I have asked kindly that they remove us from their system and that the "debt" be zeroed out. If they feel that is not the appropriate avenue, then I will have no choice but to contact the local newspaper and local news stations. I KNOW one of them will carry this story and I also know that it will hurt their business way more than it will hurt our reputation.

I am sending a copy of this letter to Banfield here in Colorado Springs where all of this horrible issue started. I am also sending a copy to our local JAG (Judge Advocate General) for The United States Army, and I am sending it to the Veterans Administration because this falls under the Soldiers and Sailors Act of 1978 where you cannot pursue a "debt" while the service member is deployed during wartime. Please reply how you would like to handle this situation.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2013

I have had Banfield Wellness the last four years for my cat who I adopted from the shelter. She was about 12 years of age. My Cat has had her teeth cleaned for the last three years at Banfield.

In Sept. 2013 I took her into Banfield about a week before the scheduled cleaning just to make sure she was in good enough shape for the procedure and because she was not eating her normal amount of food. The lady vet at the Dublin, CA Banfield said it looked like she had an ulceration under her tongue and put her on antibiotics. I then took her back two days before the scheduled teeth cleaning and another vet told me it looked like a severed frenulum under her tongue and he would do the teeth cleaning and take a biopsy of the mouth wound that day.

I came back to get her and was told both procedures were done and I could take her home. By this time the vet doctor who did the procedure had left for the day, I was told my cat had a suture in her mouth but she didn't need any pain meds. I was not happy about this and asked the new girl at the desk to please ask the other vet who was in the back if he would please give me pain meds for my girl. His reply was "I wasn't involved in the case so I can't authorize any pain meds".

Apparently when the changing of the "guards" shift changes, the vets don't collaborate! The next day the vet who did the surgery called me only because I was not happy when I left there. He apologized for sending my cat home with no pain meds and I had to go back there to get some. The biopsy came back as a stomatitis or traumatic injury. I took my girl back a few days later because she wasn't eating and the vet gave her a steroid shot, antibiotics and more pain meds.

Another few days went by and I took her back because her mouth was not healing, she was not eating well, she was drooling constantly and just a mess. The vet then told me he wanted me to take her to a specialist because he couldn't help my cat any more. I decided to get a second opinion from a local veterinarian.

The new vet checked her out and said by the feel of her jaw and because she had not improved even with all the medications, she thinks a needle biopsy will come back with a cancer. Because of the wellness plan I had I took her back to Banfield. He said he was disappointed I didn't take her to the specialist he recommended! I told him what the other vet said and he didn't want to do only the needle biopsy but also wanted to take a bigger section of the wound.

Now I was putting my sweet girl under yet another anesthesia and she was already in bad shape. This was already three weeks after the first biopsy and on so many medications with no improvement at all! The second biopsy came back as squamous cell cancer of the mouth. The doctor vet at Banfield said he was sorry but he should have taken that deeper biopsy the first time!

I had to put my beautiful persian to sleep on October 11, 2013. REALLY, my precious cat had to suffer for three weeks! The front desk people should not be working there with the exception of Cynthia. All the people working the desk seem to be so cold indifferent, and just plain bothered by customers. To make matters worse I called Banfield Wellness to cancel my pet insurance.. They sent me an email saying the policy can't be cancelled unless I want to pay for the whole year.. And by the way, they would give me a 50% reduction of the cost but I still need to pay the balance!

For heaven's sake, my precious cat is dead! What is the matter with Banfield.. Other than I have now realized they are not a full service vet office and the money is far more important. I want everyone reading these complaints to reconsider before taking your beloved pet to Banfield. That woman vet at the Dublin CA Petsmart should not be working there.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2013

I brought my cat of 15 years to your establishment the beginning of October because I noticed she wasn't eating and she kept pawing at her mouth. As a concerned pet owner, I brought her there where she was seen by Dr. ** who told me to treat her with Clavamox for about 7 days. She also noticed she had a heart murmur and because of that Aurora, my cat, would not be able to have any type of procedure/surgery because she could die. She said the only thing I could do to keep her alive longer would be to give her antibiotics. Very upset, I didn't know any better so I believed in what she said and hoped that this would work.

I gave her the Clavamox as required every 12 hours. Doing some research, I felt as though that was not the correct antibiotic she should be on since Dr. ** believed it to be an abscess or even tumor. I called back to make an appointment because she wasn't getting better and asked to see a different vet for a 2nd opinion. Dr. ** looked at her and put her on Clindamyicin which I was glad to see since she was suffering from periodontal disease. He also gave her malvonix for the inflammation and the pain. This abscess/growth was growing rapidly and he told us that we should bring her in within 2 weeks for surgery of the abscess. I asked him what grade her heart murmur was since Dr. ** didn't think it was a good idea to perform a procedure. He told me it was moderate but there could always be complications with surgery. I told him I wanted him to do the procedure because I felt more comfortable with him and he seemed much more knowledgeable. At this point I felt that Aurora was getting the proper care and that she would get some relief.

I brought her back Friday, October 11, 2013 at 7:30 a.m. where the receptionist, Lindsey went over costs. I asked Lindsey to explain the procedure. Obviously dollar signs is all this place cares about. I explained that I didn't want any extractions or other procedures without a phone call and that Aurora was going to be treated for what we all thought was going to be an abscess. I received a phone call asking me if they could take a biopsy of the area. I told them that was fine. I was told I could pick her up around 3 p.m. When I picked her up, my boyfriend and I were disappointed to find out that all they did was clean my 15-year-old cat's teeth, creating more pain and take a biopsy which I allowed.

Dr. ** came out to explain to me the procedure and what she found. I asked to speak with Dr. ** and told him I thought that he was going to perform the procedure. He said he looked in but there wasn't anything that he could really do. He told me that it wasn't my fault nor theirs. I understand that he may be leaving the practice but his ethics as a veterinarian are inexcusable along with the rest of the staff. He as well as the rest of the staff are a poor representation of PetSmart and any affiliation that Banfield has with it. Over $800 later of them doing nothing but create more pain for my cat, I sadly had to put her down.

The point is not the money but the inexcusable actions Banfield played. Dr. ** said after the procedure that it wasn't something that they could handle. So why go ahead and put my cat through unnecessary pain? I love my cat and I will make sure that Banfield NEVER touches another animal again unless you have knowledgeable and a well-educated staff. I will be sending my letter to the BBB, Consumeraffairs.com, Pissedconsumer.com and every family and friend I know.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2013

I took my female dog to Banfield to get an exam and see if the vet could palpate her abdomen to determine if she is pregnant. The girl on the front desk told me they won't be able to do that since only experienced vets have that knowledge and they don't have any!!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2013

I took my dog in to get his teeth cleaned on Tuesday morning. He was very lethargic and would not eat later that day. We expected this because of the anesthesia. However, the next day he wouldn't eat or drink and lay in his kennel all day. Our dog is a Min Pin and literally does circles around us and the kitchen at feeding time. He didn't even look at his food. This continued.

Long story short, we took him in on Thursday and REQUESTED for his blood to be drawn and checked for infections or something because he wasn't right. He was vomiting, diarrhea, lethargic, and his breathe smelled like dead animals. We went back to pick him up and the Dr. told us that he was fine. He ate and he's okay. We asked if any blood was taken and he said no. We questioned this and he responded that he made a medical decision based on our dog’s behavior. Disregarding what we requested.

Jump forward to today, Saturday. The symptoms continued and I know my dog. He was not acting normal AT ALL. I took him this morning and explained everything to the CHILD at reception. They took Bruiser back and the vet came out and proclaimed, "He's healed," as she fed him some food. I just looked at her like she was an idiot. Very calmly I explained to her that the exact same thing happened two days ago and that my dog is very possessive about his food with other dogs. That's why he ate everything in sight. And he's acting "normal" because of his adrenaline.

I refused to take him and insisted on her taking blood. She responded with, "You brought him in because he wouldn't eat and he's eating." I then became upset and made a scene. Asking her if she had been told about drinking 0 fluids in two days, eating yesterday and vomiting it back up and all the other symptoms I explained to the child at reception. She said no, just not eating. So after telling her to either take blood or I would go somewhere else she agreed.

As I was leaving, I explained to the CHILD that his breathe smelled like death and to please inform the Vet about this (FYI, my version of being upset is pretty mild. I'm a laid back guy). The Vet just called me and said, "I overheard the girls talking about the bad breath." I asked, "Did they tell you directly?" She said that no, they didn't. She just overheard them talking about it and that is a bad sign. She ran blood.

My dog’s kidneys have failed. He's in treatment right now and we don't know if he'll make it. He's only 4 years old and a Champion Blood Min Pin. He's not a kennel dog or a rescue. So I know he has good genes. I am positive that if the first Vet, Dr. ** at the Culebra location would have just done as my wife requested. TWICE, our baby boy would have a lot better chance. Now we have a 3 week old baby at home and a sick pup in the hospital.

SHAME ON YOU BANFIELD. I researched and saw the bad reviews but always thought only mad people complain and that's only a small percent. That is 100% true. But pray that you aren't that small percent. I am confident that another Vet that didn't have 50 other dogs would have filled our request. I will be writing to the State Board also to explain the situation. I understand Vets can't prevent everything. But he ignored the request of the owners on two occasions and it's has led to this. We were not requesting blood work to be done free. We were 100% willing to pay for it. He just refused.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2013

My King Charles (Ramsey) died Oct. 11th. I spent over $2,000 at Banfield 4 months ago. Oct. 11th, he had a stroke and I rushed him to hospital. I did not have my purse, any money or debit card. My son was in ICU in critical condition in Tucson. I had just returned the night before to get more clothes. I was completely devastated Ramsey died. When I got home, I made a check out of Investment account dropped in mail box on way to airport. I received 5 calls before I could call back to tell them I dropped check in mail. When I got home from Tucson in 3 days, I had all kinds of threatening call. They did not receive check and didn't believe I mailed check. It was in my mailbox. I had wrong zip code and it was returned. Three more calls saying they were turning it over to collection.

I immediately took check in returned envelope to office. I had paid you lots of money and had always paid. You do not care about pets or people only money. They knew my son was critical. I told them the vet talk to my daughter and she told her. I will never walk through the door of a PetSmart store and will tell all my friends. Your actions were uncalled for. I think a new CEO should be considered for you company. I could not believe all the complaints on websites. People reading this, do not use Banfield. They do not care about you or your pet.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2013

I would strongly suggest that no one trust their pet to Banfield Pet Hospital, no matter where you live. The clinics in Miamisburg, Ohio and Florence, Kentucky failed to properly monitor my beloved Maggie, who was prescribed Phenobarbital against my wishes for supposed seizures, which in less than one month destroyed her liver killing Maggie. I had requested Dr. Amy ** (Ohio) and Dr. Andrea ** (Kentucky) to run laboratory tests to determine if the medication was toxic on her liver, and they decided to ignore my wishes. May Maggie rest in piece, and Drs. ** and ** go to Hell for their flagrant neglect. God help them!

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information