2. Pets
  3. Pet Care

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.43/5
Based on 1,052 ratings submitted in the last year

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Original review: June 26, 2013

I took my 11-year-old senior Chihuahua to a new vet Monday. Previously we had been patients at Banfield Pet Hospital. After doing some research on Banfield, I discovered that they were not trustworthy for many, many reasons, tons of complaints from customers, not to mention that they are owned by the same company that makes M&Ms and tests unnecessary products on animals. Aside from that, they were much more expensive, and the only reason I chose them was because they had a "wellness plan" that made my dog's dental work free (which they told me would cost $350 without a wellness plan, so I thought I was getting a deal... after talking to the local vet, I learned the normal price there was $150 for the same type of work).

I am saying this in warning... Cosmos has high liver enzymes. Last summer, he tested at 330. For a dog his size, he should test at 100. I had him tested twice last year. This year after he showed signs of severe pain in his legs, I took him in for a script for pain meds. They took a syringe and marked how far I should fill it with pain meds so that I wouldn't give him too much. They warned me that the pain meds would cause his liver to get worse instead of better. I decided I would prefer to see him live a pain-free, shorter life. I took him home and gave him these meds until he ran out.

When the script ran out, I set up an appointment at a local vet, as I had read so many bad reviews during that time. I took Cosmos, my 6-pound dog, in yesterday, they did a physical (much more detailed than Banfield's, FYI) and wrote up a script for the same pain meds. The doctor handed me a syringe and asked me to show her how much Metacam I have been giving Cosmos, I showed her the .5 ml mark. Her jaw dropped. Cosmos had been over medicated. He should have been receiving .2 ml per day, receiving more can cause his liver to go into failure more quickly. I have also burnt through his pain meds way more quickly than I should have, meaning that Banfield was set up to sell me his pain meds at twice the pace they should have.

This morning I filled the syringe to the .5 ml mark and then transferred it over to the larger syringe to see how many pounds that amount was normally recommended for. I had been giving Cosmos enough pain meds for a 20-pound dog (remember, Cosmos is 6 pounds).

Original review: June 25, 2013

I have mixed feelings about Banfield. My dog has been going there for over 6 years now, since she was 10 weeks old. The Banfield in my town is better than some; however, I am beginning to believe that the overall business practice of the corporation (the most amounts of treatments for the most amount of profit) is no longer what I want to subject my dog to.

It started when I brought my barely 3-pound puppy to Banfield for her first vet appointment at 10 weeks old. I chose them as they were very close to my house and I liked the association with PetSmart. They talked me into the puppy wellness plan for $21/month, and that seemed reasonable as it covered her spay and vaccinations, etc. At that first appointment, they gave her a Lepto 3 way vaccine. After the vet tech gave her the shot and left the room, I watched my puppy have a grand mal seizure in her crate and go limp. I ran out to tell someone, and they rushed her in the back. Then someone came out to tell me they didn't think she would make it. She was too small and they couldn't find a vein to put an IV in. They basically told me to wait to see if she pulled through.

Somehow, she did, and once the dust settled, their only explanation was that sometimes small dogs are allergic to the binding compound in the 3 way vaccine and will go into anaphylactic shock. I was surprised then, that they would even give this vaccine to small dogs if they knew that. However, their quick response to the ordeal and the fact that they saved my dog and seemed caring and compassionate through it all made me want to continue with them as my vet.

After that ordeal, whenever I brought my dog in for her "comprehensive exam" (they insisted on this every six months), they would watch her for the day and give her Benadryl before and after all vaccines which I appreciated. But as the years went on, and my dog was now 3 or 4, I started to wonder why Banfield insisted she come in EVERY six months for yet more and more vaccines. I began to question them on this. Some of the vaccines that they acted like were absolutely necessary, I later found out were for illnesses we don't even have in our part of the country. But, I thought, this was all covered under the wellness plan so it wasn't like they were making any extra money off of it. I didn't realize it wasn't normal until I asked other dog owners that said their dogs got maybe two rounds of vaccines as puppies and that was it. They didn't need Giardia, kennel cough, Leptospirosis, etc. every six months.

Because of the vaccine thing, I considered cancelling my wellness plan. Then I got a second dog, who had a seizure and collapsed after getting into something poisonous (we never found out what it was). I rushed her to Banfield, and they dropped everything, got her on an IV, and got her through it. So now I felt that they had saved both of my dogs, and so I continued on with them.

Then about a year and a half ago, I noticed the hair starting to thin on the tail of my original dog. She also had black spots on her stomach. At the time, I was going through a break up, moving, and the second dog went with my ex. So I chalked it up to my dog being under stress with all the changes. I brought her in to Banfield and they just seemed utterly puzzled about the black spots. One vet thought it was just dirt. They didn't know what to do and told me to just wait it out. I waited it out for 6 months. She lost all of the hair on her tail and most of it on her back. All of the skin where she had lost hair turned black. Finally they said they wanted to test her for diabetes. It wasn't that. Then they started in with the really expensive tests, Cushing's being the main one. I would go in there and they would list off $600 worth of tests like they were absolutely needed. And then say, "Well, if you upgrade your plan, it will cover this, this and this," and talked me into the $45 a month plan.

After they suggested the Cushing's test (and told me rather clinically that she would die within 3 years if she had it, which really caused me to become a total mess), I decided to get a second opinion. I paid $45 to a different vet to ask him if he thought she had Cushing's. He said no, and quite frankly, he was surprised they even wanted to test for it because she didn't seem at all like a Cushing's dog. But he said it was probably necessary in order to rule it out, and move forward on diagnosing her hair loss. So I paid Banfield the $200 to do it. She was negative. They eventually decided that the hair loss must be due to her "somewhat low" thyroid, and gave me thyroid meds. I've been giving them to her for 6 months and her hair hasn't grown back, although it hasn't gotten any worse.

Meanwhile, in the first 6 months of this year alone, my dog has been in and out of the vet for an array of issues. She got a urinary tract infection, and since it was her 2nd or 3rd one in a year, they wanted to do more expensive tests. I let them do X-rays, and told them that was it. They had added an extra charge to have a "professional lab review of the X-rays" or something. I said that I didn't want to pay that, and they admitted it wasn't necessary unless the X-rays were really hard to read. Well they called me later that day after taking the X-rays and insisted that they had to charge me the extra $100 for the lab review because they couldn't read them. The lab said there was nothing wrong with the X-rays, and her UTI was solved by antibiotics. So I felt that was a total waste of money.

Less than a month later, she got what they thought was a gastrointestinal virus. After a month and a half of me bringing her back because it wasn't getting any better, and 2 rounds of antibiotics, they wanted to do a $300 test on her gastrointestinal system. I asked them if it was possible it wasn't a virus at all, but maybe worms of some sort. I was right, and a $20 dewormer cured it. I was baffled that I had to be the one to figure that out, and that dewormer wasn't their first course of action.

I think part of the problem is the vets at Banfield are constantly changing. None of the same people are there now than when I first started bringing my dog in. She never sees the same vet twice. So when I bring her in for an ongoing problem, I have to start all over with the new vet. Nobody looks at her symptom history when I walk in there. They just ask me the symptoms as of that day and immediately start talking about expensive tests. Once I figured out the worm thing, a couple other symptoms she had been having before, started to make sense. Now I wonder if her hair loss is due to a serious, ongoing thing that was never caught, involving the parasites she had, or if maybe it was caused by the constant vaccinations they wanted to do when she was younger. I'm hoping her health improves drastically now that all that is behind us.

My other issue is regarding their dental practices. As others here have stated, when you have the most expensive wellness plan, a yearly cleaning is "free". However, it's never free. They call you when the dog is already under anesthesia, and without you being able to get a second opinion or even see for yourself, they tell you that they HAVE to extract 4 teeth and it'll cost $400. The way they sort of run people through like cattle and throw around these huge amounts of money like it's nothing bothers me too. You have to watch the computer screen while they're adding up everything they want to do (most of which is probably not needed), and really scrutinize them about it, and tell them to take off charges and procedures you don't want or need done.

I don't feel that I should have to watch my vet like a hawk on the price. They should just do what's necessary first, and okay the cost of the more expensive, exploratory, tests and procedures later. They should start with the basics as opposed to the more complicated stuff. I realize they are very busy (especially in our town because we're on the border and a lot of Canadians bring their pets to our Banfield), but the way they try to rush you through, it seems like they hope you won't notice unnecessary charges. I don't like that, at all.

Despite all of this, I feel that the vets at Banfield are competent and do care about my dog's well being. But I wonder if they are too busy to be able to give her long term issues the attention they need. I have struggled with the idea of just cancelling the wellness plan and taking her to a normal, pay as you go vet. She seems to be in and out of the vet so often though, that I can't imagine having to drop $300 to $500 every time she gets a UTI or something. I just don't have that kind of money. But, lately that seems to be the case with Banfield as well. AND I'm giving them $45 a month for the wellness plan. So it's a dilemma.

Original review: June 23, 2013

We pay for the health program of the cat. We took our cat for her annual checkup, and found out she needed a distemper booster. She is a 15-year-old indoor cat, the only cat we have indoors and around no other cats. When at the vet's, I asked three different people if this booster shot would be covered by the health plan and all three said, "Yes, yes and yes." I am new to this health plan due to the cat, and the health plan belongs to my daughter. My daughter has been gone for a year at school, so they said to come back in three weeks (no appointment was made). They call me a day before they want me to come to an appointment that I never made, so I go and I'm charged $25. I'm shocked.

No manager was there all day to help (it was a Friday and not a holiday or any special day going on that weekend, just no one in charge). I never said I won't pay, but a tech comes out and threatens me that if I don't pay right then, they will send it to collections immediately. They didn't give me a receipt for the paid bill, nor for the record of the services made to the cat. I called the manager the next day, and she said that it was a mistake what the three people told me that the shot would be covered, and I needed to pay the bill. The end. The service for a regular visit is almost $500, and they want us to return in 6 months for another $500. No thanks. We will no longer use their services.

Original review: June 22, 2013

As I read all of these complaints about Banfield, it takes me back to the sad day I lost my dog to their carelessness. It was Easter Sunday 2012. My dog was trying to urinate a lot. I knew she had a urine infection; she had one before. When I took her in to Banfield, I said I wanted something to ease her discomfort, and to start antibiotics till I get her to her Vet in the morning. They insisted they needed a urine sample. She was piddling so I knew that wouldn't be a problem. They claimed they could not get a sample and needed to use a Catheter. They would not give me medicine unless they did that. So, I said okay.

They took her back walking. When they brought her back to me, she was screaming in pain! I asked them why she was screaming, and they said she was just upset about the procedure. Of course, they said it with no care. She was getting worse! I asked them what they did to her; it was just a tube up the Urethra, right?! Nope! They stuck a huge needle through her stomach into her bladder! I was so angry with their attitude and they wanted to do more procedures, for more money of course. I asked if she had an infection and they said yes. I demanded a pain killer and some antibiotics, and would take her to the Vet in the morning. She was miserable all night. When I finally got her to our Vet first thing in the morning, she died in my arms! We did an autopsy, she had kidney stones, but they punctured her bladder and she bleed out overnight. When my Vet called them, they had no remorse, and said they did what they needed to do. They took no responsibility! Take your babies to a proper Vet! These people at Banfield do not care about animals. They just want to make lots of money!

Original review: June 21, 2013

My partner and I took one of our cats to Banfield Hospital in Temple, Texas on June 2, 2013 at which time there were several tests including a urinalysis and an internal organ screening... Test results showed a bladder infection and some crystals in the urine at which time she gave our cat an antibiotic injection of CONVENIA as opposed to giving oral antibiotics. She also prescribed a canned food to balance out the pH and told us she should be better within 24 hours and yes, she was better as far as we could tell. But I then did some research on the injection and discovered that ALMOST EVERY SINGLE REVIEW was one horror story after another up to and including animal deaths from the injection.

Two weeks have now passed after spending $240 and now she is worse today than ever but being on a limited income, I have no money now and the clinic refuses to see her unless we can come up with the cash and they now want to do a test that costs $500 which is way out of my budget... She is now trying to pass a stone, we believe, and has noticeable blood in her urine... The injection that was given was $60 alone and many reviews had stated that their animals as well got better for a moment, only to get worse and, at this point, I am doing what I can regarding the special food and some things I picked up yesterday regarding the urinary tract...

I WILL NEVER AGAIN USE THIS PLACE FOR ANY ANIMAL. They do not stand behind treatments and simply want to take every dime you have left and, at this point, I am expecting my cat to actually die within the next week or so unless I can get this remedied through a local organization that is looking for someone willing to cover the additional costs as that same night, I was also a victim of a home intruder that stabbed me in the neck and I was in ICU for 2 days. I am beyond disgusted with Banfield Pet Hospital and might suggest that others look for a better place that actually has the animals' well-being at hand over the money they can get from your wallet whether or not the treatments THEY DO AS PROFESSIONALS work or does not work...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: June 20, 2013

In January, the Banfield in Vancouver WA (7603 NE Vancouver Plaza Dr) did an annual exam of my dog, Beau, and recommended that his teeth be cleaned because he was in danger of gum disease. They convinced me that the Banfield Optimum Wellness Treatment Plan was the economical way to have this done. I signed up. When I scheduled and arrived for the teeth cleaning, I was told that Beau's heart had a murmur and he couldn't have the teeth cleaning. This seems like something they could have, or perhaps even should have checked during the physical and told me about before I signed up for the Plan. On top of the plan, they sold me medication to bring down the blood pressure.

I made a follow-up appointment for two weeks and when we got there, we had to wait over 1.5 hours before we saw the vet. It seems that when Banfield makes appointments, we should be seen within 15-20 minutes of the appointment time, not after 90 minutes of waiting. When the vet finally did see my dog to determine whether the drugs they had prescribed had reduced his blood pressure enough for a safe cleaning, he still couldn't make a clear determination. After checking it three times and all with wide-swings in results, he suggested I see a heart cardiologist to check his heart (estimate $500-$700 plus vets fees). It seems to me that listening to the heart and determining a murmur is something I would imagine a first-year vet student should be able to determine. Also during that visit I had pointed out that I noticed some growths on his neck and asked the Vet what he thought they were. I was told the lumps under his neck were nothing to worry about, probably fat deposits. As it turned out, this was a serious misdiagnosis.

I was so disappointed by the lack of care and service at Banfield that I went to Forever Pet Dental for a second opinion. After a quick review of the transferred records from Banfield, Dr. ** identified Beau had a serious heart murmur and was not a candidate for teeth cleaning (Sure glad I didn't schedule the cardiologist as advised. Why didn't Banfield tell me that BEFORE I purchased a policy for teeth cleaning that could not be done?). Dr. ** also said the lumps under Beau's throat were very worrisome. After a quick bioscopy and a three-day wait, the tests came back that Beau had lymphoma. The cancer had progressed to the point that a month later we had to end Beau's suffering as the cancer had spread to his eyes and he could no longer eat or walk.

When I called Banfield to cancel the Optimum Wellness Plan, the service rep treated me with the same uncaring tone and attitude that I received at the hospital. We were informed that we still had to pay the remainder of the payments. A week later, I got a card that said, "Don't Forget! Beau is due for a comprehensive exam by 7/1/23."

I will get another dog eventually and I will never subject it to being a patient of Banfield. Also, I will no longer buy products from PetSmart because of their relationship with Banfield. I now know why owners of kennels, pet sitters, and other vets warned us against using Banfield. We will now be joining that chorus and doing what we can to prevent people from having the type of experience we had.

Original review: June 20, 2013

I went in for an examination and the doctor did not do much of an examination. She just looked at the ears and felt her stomach and looked at her eyes and told me she had an infection. And she wanted me to have her teeth cleaned and take two modes off her, around 300 dollars. She did not listen to her heart, her rectum and her throat. I told her she made a funny noise. I was so upset. It was her eyes; I forgot about all the things she should do. She was not nice to my dog.

Original review: June 17, 2013

I had to rush our 11-yr-old Shiba Inu to an Emergency Clinic overnight and we had to pick her up in the morning and take her to our regular vet which was Banfield in Kingsport, TN. We got her there at 7am when they opened. Okay, but the vet does not come in til 9. Mind you, my dog was tremoring and had not been in good condition. The techs there called her (the vet) and told her about us being there. I'm sure they told her the condition she was in. Apparently, the vet lived an hour away and still had to get ready and would be in as soon as she could. She walked in at 9am, proceeded to, attended to what looked like giving another dog in the back care that was just routine. She finally came out to see our dog around 9:20. I know it's only 20 mins, but imagine how we felt - our dog was in distress and they had no medicine there to give her because it was on back order.

This vet obviously does not like her job because, let me tell you, I would have gotten there earlier and came right in to attend to the dog that was in distress. My dog passed away a week later and I'm trying to cancel the insurance, and they said we still have a balance. Do not ever take your dog there, let alone sign up for their insurance. They try and sell you different medicines for certain vaccines which are not included in the plan, always trying to sell something extra. Oh, one more thing, they have 1 girl answering the phone, checking in patients, and caring for the animals all at the same time, very shorthanded which will not give your animal good care.

Original review: June 16, 2013

When I signed up for the Wellness Plan, I was never informed that the plan would renew if I did not call to cancel. If the plan stated this, I was never shown this on the paper when I signed. I feel this a scam by the Banfield Hospital company. I have contacted my credit card company and they have set up a dispute claim. I feel very strongly about not paying them. If necessary, I will take them to small claims court. I will see this to the end. They are very deceitful. Yes, the contract was signed but in a very deceitful manner and they are not going to get away with it. Everyone needs to sue them if this has happened to you. Remember, our pets were the things they used to get us to sign the Wellness Plan. Playing on your feelings.

Original review: June 13, 2013

It started when I brought in my 10-week-old French Bulldog so she could have a puppy check-up that was required by her breeder. After the exam was completed, we were told about the Puppy Wellness Plan. After discussing the plan, we signed up. During the sign-up process, I asked if this plan could be cancelled at any time and I was told YES!! In the time that we had the puppy plan, I had to take our dog in four times in a two-month period. She was getting UTI so she was put on antibiotics, and I was told this should clear up the issue. I had to bring her in again due to the fact that she was still having the same issues. She went on another round of antibiotics, and we brought her back again.

She was finally diagnosed with a urinary issue that can be corrected with a special food, or I could opt in to get a $5k surgery that might not "fix" the problem. She has actually been better with being on the food. I called Banfield to see if I could have the vet renew her prescription without having to see her, since my puppy wasn't having issues that would need her to be seen. The lady on the phone told me that there was a "hold" on the wellness plan. I explained that it should have been cancelled a while ago. She then explained that the plans do not expire and that you have to cancel the plan yourself. I ended up having to call the Banfield Complaint Center, and was pretty much told that since I signed something, I was stuck in the plan.

I explained to them that I was never told anything about it being renewed and that I was able to cancel this. I still have heard nothing back from Banfield, so I ended up putting a complaint in through BBB. I did get a response back, basically saying that, "Since you signed, you have to pay." So anyone who is thinking about bringing their dog here, DON'T. I am now stuck with a plan for the next six months and will be paying for crappy service. Half the time, the vets have no clue what they are talking about... Also, they up-charge like a car dealership. I could find a vet that actually cares about animals versus someone who's seeing dollar signs and what they can rip off from people.

Original review: June 12, 2013

The veterinarian was very rude. She was supposed to take care of my dog's ticks, but she took him in the room and just took one tick. Then she came out saying, "Where are the others?" After we showed her where the other ticks were, she started pulling them with bare hands, with no disinfection or anything. She was throwing them in the middle of the PetSmart store! On top of everything, she tried to pull my dog's nipple instead of tick, so he was crying a lot. His nipple is still bloody. She did not even apologize. They told us that she cannot check him for more ticks, but that we could get the "First Shield" to kill them. We bought the product, but because of its side effects, my dog has been feeling very sick since we put the product on him!

Original review: June 12, 2013

I recently took my little 8 lb. Chihuahua dog to Roanoke's Banfield Hospital. She had a heart murmur and fluid in her lungs (see my video, "Ban Banfield", on Facebook). I saw them holding her upside down by her back legs. A side effect of Lidocaine anesthesia is heart stoppage. She had a Lasix IV for fluid in her lungs, and the doctor was shaking her to get the fluid from her lungs.

I left the room. They came out and said her heart stopped and asked me if I wanted to revive her. I said yes. I was told that during heart massage, the doctor may have broken a rib. I told them I wanted to take her home when she was able to, and they advised me to take her to a hospital. She had an excellent EKG. Then they told me she needed to go back on oxygen. At this point, they were talking euthanasia. I said no, that I wanted to take her home and put her on heart medication. They never gave me a reason for euthanasia. They only said, "You may get a month or two with her," but there's no way they can predict that.

I can only say that if you think your dog has a slight chance of recovering, get your pet out of Banfield because you are just $$ to them. They took advantage of me, as I am a senior. I was alone, and they knew they could frighten me to make a decision for me. I am tormented.

Original review: June 12, 2013

Please, I am trying to make others aware to NOT purchase the Banfield Animal Hospital Plan! I took my new puppy into their hospital for his first visit to make sure he was healthy and to begin his shots. They sold me their wellness plan, and I signed up because I trusted they would deliver those services.

Unfortunately, that HAS NOT happened. On both the 2nd and 3rd visits, they called me on my cell to explain they had emergencies and were running terribly behind. Both times, appointments were made as per the wellness plan, but I ONLY saw a vet ONE time, and that was on the 1st visit, when the plan was sold to me. I paid based on the plan's breakdown of visits or "exams". The only services performed were shots. A vet tech took him to the back and brought him back out. On the last visit after my dog was brought out, he was bleeding pretty good. The staff took him back to check him, and when bringing him through the door, two employees ran into each other in the door, slamming my animal's paw in the door. Of course they so much as did not address it with me; they just took him back again, I can only assume, to check the foot.

And now that I am very unsatisfied and do NOT trust them to deliver the care they said they sold me, I am hooked into a payment plan with them for 12 months. And if you decide to cancel, you'll pay very high veterinary charges immediately. Their home office in Oregon does not try to work with you. They have great protection for their company, but you have NONE for you and your pet. Please DO NOT purchase their so-called plans. You will regret it, I am sad to say!

Original review: June 11, 2013

I took my 5-year-old dog to Banfield as a recommendation from my friend. My Jack Russell had taken a fall from a bed onto the floor on May 4 and by May 27, my poor pet passed away because she was misdiagnosed not only by one visit but I had visited this office 6 times in a 3-week period because she was not improving. I had all blood work ran/X-rays and I watched my poor baby just go downhill until she could no longer walk. I ended up taking her to a vet ER hospital on Memorial Day and that very day, the ER doctor determined this was not muscular and she needed to see a neurologist. My Jack did not make it through the night for me to take her to the neurologist the next day. I was so heartbroken thinking that if she would have been diagnosed earlier or even suggested that I see another doctor, I could have saved her life.

To make matters worse, I called Banfield because I signed her up for a wellness plan on May 12 and within 2 weeks she had passed. However, I was expected to pay on this plan for the year. If I would have known my pet would have passed away in that short time, I would not have signed her up for a wellness plan. I trusted them with my dog's life and they let me down. I won't ever recommend anyone to this vet or the plan. It's terrible.

Original review: June 10, 2013

I bought a Wellness Plan for my year-old female German Shepherd. I paid the total cost upfront for one year, and before that two months, before that year was up, I informed the Hospital and the Main Office in Oregon that we would NOT be renewing with the Wellness Plan (WP). Banfield ignored the cancellation and continued to monthly bill us. The Banfield Vets could NOT even perform a simple spaying and had to refund me the $354.00 that the WP charges. Another local vet performed the operation and only charged me $250.00!!! If your pet needs medications, the prices they charge are inflated by 500%. I told them that I would get one of the prescriptions they wanted to charge me $53 for at my pharmacy. I paid $12 at the pharmacy. This is an ongoing practice of theirs.

Original review: June 10, 2013

We took my son's German Shepherd pup (6 months) into the office after he had caught his leg in the foot of the bed when he apparently jumped off in the middle of the night. We were told he needed surgery approximately $1,700 or he would not walk again normally. There is a local vet about 2 hours away that everyone loves so we took him there. He advised no surgery since it was the growth plate area. He would be likely to have severe arthritis when older. We left him there for a week and they used laser and staying off the led in a kennel. Cost was $300. Big difference and no surgery involved. Now over a year later and he walks, runs and plays like any other dog.

On the flip side, my dog goes to Banfield for yearly shots and exams. She loves the people. I, however, have no idea what vet sees her since I never see them or meet them. But when she is ill, I take that 2-hour trip as I have not been satisfied with their care regarding when something is wrong.

Original review: June 5, 2013

I bought Wellness plan for my elderly dog. I specifically asked if I could cancel at any time and the answer was yes. This is totally untrue, as they will continue to charge you until the year is up. They try to tell you that the expenses you racked up for services are far more than what you owe, so you will have to pay the difference. If your pet needs medications, the prices they charge are inflated by 500%. I told them that I would get one of the prescriptions they wanted to charge me $53 for at my pharmacy. I paid $12 at the pharmacy. This is an ongoing practice of theirs.

The final straw was the fact that I mainly bought the plan to have his teeth cleaned, as he has to be put under. They did a complete checkup on him the day I bought the plan and found that he had a heart murmur. It was not an issue until I wanted to make an appointment to have his teeth done and they told me he could not due to the fact that he had the murmur and would have to go to the cardiologist first! There is only one vet cardiologist in my area and it was going to cost $542! They knew this ahead of time and sold me a bill of goods. I ended up getting a month’s credit for this particular issue, but they would still not cancel the plan. The amounts that they charge for their services are far and above the normal rates than a neighborhood vet charges. How do I know this? My dog went to a neighborhood vet for the first 11 years of his life, as does his sister.

I cannot wait until this hell is over and I am released to go back to my old vet. I feel abused and violated and would like to press criminal charges against this company. I thought I did my research... but did not dig far enough. There are hundreds of complaints out there about Banfield and I would run far far away from this whole company. The kicker is that the second time we brought Cody in, they almost killed him with an overdose of drugs, due to the fact that the vet on staff did not read his file. It took me three vets in the local Banfield before I got one that gave a darn about him. In fact, one of the receptionists told me that the vet I ended up with was the most thorough... hmm. Run, run for your animal’s life.

Original review: June 5, 2013

March 2013 - I took my six-year-old pug dog to Banfield Pet Hospital because he was limping on his right leg. While there, the tech noticed his ear was real dirty so he went to the back for cleaning. I was somewhat satisfied with the explanation about his leg. It was suggested that he get an X-ray (which, by the way, the doctor came back saying it was arthritis; I'm certain it is something different).

To make a long story short, later that night, I was petting "Jack" and I noticed a VERY big wart-like bubble in the ear that was cleaned (obviously, they rubbed so hard that they created an embolism)... A week later, after noticing it wasn't going away, I took him in and it was suggested that I get it taken out, and the doctor assured me that that was not caused by the vet techs or her for that matter... I paid a lot of money for his ear to be practically severed off...

It breaks my heart to see the types of people that get hired to care for animals. Well, his limp is still there; of course, it's getting progressively worse. I've left several messages for Dr. Johnson to call me, and of course she hasn't yet. I don't know what to do because if I take him back in, I'm risking his well-being. I do not like this Banfield at all.. It's located in Midlothian, VA.

Original review: June 5, 2013

This place is a JOKE!!! A few months ago, I was told a heartworm test was going to be performed on my dog. The tech later came out and informed that he was too young at the time and to wait. Fast forward five months later and it's time to change heartworm pills. They told me a test need to be done. Fine right? Since he didn't have is second one performed. They told me he used his second one already and that the outcome was negative. How can you have an outcome when it wasn't even performed?!!! Makes me think about how much other tests they claim to have given and probably never did.

Original review: June 2, 2013

I signed up for the Wellness Plan also for my two dogs. Everything was good until the day I needed something more complex than just vaccines… My dog had a torn ligament on his knee. He needed x-rays with sedation and a surgery to repair the ligament... First, I got the x-rays at Banfield, and they charged me $500...

After that, the doctor wanted to charge me $2,500 for a surgery (tightrope) that I paid $1,000 at another vet (who confessed to me that he had to fix 2 of these kind of surgeries from Banfield!). They also told me that no one in town specialized on this kind of surgery... Banfield is ok if your dog is not sick or just need current vaccines. Other than that, they’re just going to try to rip you off.

Original review: May 26, 2013

Banfield is by far the worst vet I have ever been to. The wellness plans are a total sham - every visit, I've had to fight to get the vet to perform the most routine tests that are promised in the plan, and even then, they find loopholes to charge you... They charge several times the regular rate for meds, etc. so you end up paying for what you would have if you'd gone to a reputable vet.

All of the doctors at Banfield are inexperienced and incompetent. They are clearly only concerned about getting as much money from you as possible. I worked at a vet for over 5 years and know a little bit about what a good vet should do. I recently took my Great Dane into Banfield in Palm Coast and paid a lot of money for a complete senior wellness exam with a full CBC blood panel screen. The vet barely looked at my dog and did not even notice 5 large lipomas until after I pointed them out to her. She spent LESS THAN 3 minutes examining my dog!

She did not ask to review his records nor did she carefully listen to heart and lung functions. It was very clear to me the whole exam was just a sham to get money and she did not care at all about my dog's health. She seemed annoyed that I asked questions and did not have informed answers for any of them. They supposedly did a full CBC panel which (miraculously) came back in about 5 min. However, they did not give me the results, and when I came back to pick them up, I noticed there was an abnormally low level platelet count (148). The doctor had not even noticed it until I pointed it out and then made an excuse saying it was "normal".

A reputable vet would have ordered a manual check of this to confirm. A low level platelet count can be very serious. I now have to go to a real vet to have this checked. The CBC panel itself was not nearly as inclusive as most panels done at regular vets, yet they charged me 3x what most vets charge! I told her about my dog's cognitive decline and the doctor said she had never heard of Anipryl, which is the most commonly diagnosed prescription med for this, nor did she know about choline or Cholodin, which are the most commonly used supplements for canine cognitive decline! Remarkably uninformed! She did not seem to care at all and did nothing to check him for this...

She also said no adult canines can get ear mites, which is a lie. She pretended to briefly look into his ears. (This is not the way to check for mites... you have to take a swab and look under a microscope.) When I worked at the vet, I personally treated at least 30 adult dogs for ear mites. Finally, they charged me twice what they originally quoted for Rimadyl and only gave me 10 days' worth with no refills!!!! I had to go back in to get the Rimadyl because the vet forgot to add it during the first visit! When I finally got it, it did not have the full amount, and most of the pieces were broken up.

Two years ago, when I took my Great Dane into Banfield on the "platinum plan" for a complete yearly exam and screen, they left him in a small cage all day long. When I picked him up after work 9 hours later, he could barely walk and had feces and urine all over him! They told me they did not do anything for him that day... no tests... NOTHING! They had forgotten he was there! The doctor refused to come out and talk to me and they even tried to charge me for that! They also gave him a 6-month supply of bad heartworm med that was recalled! They did not want to reimburse me nor did they apologize for their incompetence. If you care at all about your pets, I would avoid this place at all costs! You are going to get much better care going to a real vet.

Original review: May 26, 2013

I got stung by the "free" teeth cleaning. I took my cat in, the blood ALT level was elevated, most likely due to a hemolyzed specimen. They wanted more money. I said no, so they charged me for the blood work that was supposed to be covered. The people were not very nice and seemed not to care if I did business with them or not. I paid their extortion fee of $97.00. After reading a few other accounts, I feel I got off lucky. I will use a local vet from now on and will buy my supplies at another retail outfit. Bye, Banfield and Pet Smart!

Original review: May 20, 2013

I have a pregnant pom/chi. She is my companion animal as I'm disabled. She's about 6 weeks along. This is her second pregnancy. She has been panting at times and her water intake is unusually high. This worried me as she didn't do this with the previous pregnancy. I printed off a free wellness check from Banfield. I called, made an appointment and went to the appointment on Tuesday. Your vet said she needed to run blood work, costing around $400 for red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets detecting conditions like anemia, inflammation or infections. I advised her more than once that I couldn't afford that. She insisted that was the next step to figure out the issue. She said the most important tests would cost $170 ($130 was the ending total amount as they couldn't do a urine test).

I had to borrow money. I was so scared with what she had told me. I was crying the remainder of my stay there while I waited. The machine apparently broke, so all results couldn't be given. The next day Banfield said the blood work showed no problems. Well, I never received paperwork on the blood work as they didn't have the results when I left. I was up from 1-2AM last night with my dog's panting. Being really worried, I googled the symptoms. Diabetic/pre-diabetic came up. Not once did your vet talk about this to me. I called another two vets asking them what tests they would run for those symptoms. They said urine and check for diabetes. I need the blood work results that I never received so I can show a competent veterinary clinic what's already been checked. She also wanted me to schedule another appointment with Banfield for two weeks for x-rays to show how many puppies she's having. This costs $350.

Apparently, this vet has no idea what fixed/limited income is. Very upset and disappointed in this company. Now I'm behind $130.00 and so stressed because my dog is exactly the same and now I really can't bring her in. Apparently, the wrong tests were administered to which I don't have results anyway. Communication with them has been difficult. Unless several calls happen, they won't bother returning calls. I did get a mailed response from Banfield, but only after I had contacted the BBB regarding this. It seems they want your money without helping the animals and playing on the owner's emotions. Sickening.

Original review: May 18, 2013

I took my Dachshund to Banfield in PetSmart and put her on the yearly plan they have for dogs. I went ahead and prepaid this plan both years I had her on it. The fourth month into the plan, my dog and I were hit by a car. Emma was unable to recover and passed away. This crushed me. I called Banfield to let them know about the situation and to see if I could get refunded any of the year that I had prepaid. I had also acquired a new dog so I was hoping I could get somewhat of a discount with him. The customer service representative said that if I canceled the account that they would charge me even more money for the year that I had already prepaid. I was thinking to myself, how does this make sense? So because I gave them money upfront, I am losing my money. She didn't even consider the option to transfer anything over to my new pup.

Thanks a lot, Banfield! I don't recommend anyone to use Banfield. They are just a corporate vet that cares about your money. Someone with a heart or at least is compassionate about the animals they service might have found some common ground to help me out. Local vets are the way to go. Support your local vets and not some money-hungry corporate monster. Thanks for nothing, Banfield.

Original review: May 18, 2013

Bottom line, charges that may be discounted as part of the Wellness Plan and what and how they tack on fees is misleading, and frankly bad business. Did you know that if you bring your pet in for a free teeth cleaning, the automatic blood work that they do is only covered if in fact they actually do the teeth cleaning. If the blood work shows additional potential health issues and the teeth cleaning is then suggested to not be done (i.e. anesthesia may be risky), the automatic blood work charges will be charged to you. Even when asked what my charges were in the morning when I dropped my cat off, no mention of this was made.

Evidently, it is in the fine print of what I signed as I rushed off to work in the early morning. Regardless, the principle of the matter is that it is misleading.The free teeth cleaning cost me $176.00. When questioning the veterinarian about the charges, in addition to challenging the tech upon checkout, the only thing that I heard was it wasn't their fault. Here is the doozy by the vet, "Wouldn't it be nice if everything was free?" I guess the $25 per month that I was charged and directly taken out of my checking account for the year while I never utilized the plan was a gift. Regardless, I will never spend another dime at Banfield and I am happy to suggest to anyone that I know that they should do the same!

Original review: May 17, 2013

I have a dog under their Puppy Early Care Plus plan. I received a letter informing that the heartworm preventive Worm Shield was recalled and that my pet may not be protected from heartworm disease. The letter states that it is crucial for him to be brought in for heartworm testing. Several months prior to this letter, after asking questions concerning Worm Shield, I also choose to purchase Worm Shield for my other pet that was not under contract. I explained that now my other pet was also at risk, they remembered my asking questions. My vet for this dog was very picky about heartworm medication manufacturer. They did agree to test both dogs at no cost over the phone. When I then came in a couple days later to have the testing done, I had to explain the situation over again.

The vet, Dr. **, did the testing and both thankfully were negative. He then tried to tell me that Bug, my non-contracted dog, needed annual shots. He had no way of knowing this. I explained that I was researching some other possible veterinary options and declined any further services. I then asked about them needing a follow-up test in 6 months. He said no further testing was needed. I said that somewhere I had heard they should be tested again in 6 months. When I went to check out, they tried to bill $40 for a physical exam. I explained there was to be no charge and that there was no physical exam done. The only thing I noticed was he lifted the lips of Reggie, the contracted dog. They said that was the exam. I said, "Excuse me, I'm not paying for 2 seconds of something I didn't request."

Then when I got home, I reviewed the paperwork I was given that said "Congratulations! Your pet's ears, heart, rectum, mouth/nose, abdomen, lungs appear to be normal." This is completely unethical to document such when no exam was done. Plus while I was checking out, I reread the letter that Banfield had sent that said "your pet should be brought in 6 months for a 2nd heartworm test." I pointed this out to the clerk. She said she was unaware of that just like the vet. It is beyond me how possibly, after exposing my pets and many other's pets to such risk, that they don't even take it seriously enough to know what they themselves/Banfield say need to be done to make sure my loved family member is protected.

The reporting of a physical exam that was never done is totally unethical and not knowing what follow-up is needed to fully protect your pet is grossly negligent. I will go back to a veterinary office where you see the same vet that has a personal relationship with you and truly cares about the health of my pet. I have never written a review in my life that wasn't super quick, which are always the ones where you had received outstanding service or a product. That tells you how offended I am!

Original review: May 17, 2013

I took my 2 dogs for the very first time using the insurance plan and all the paperwork I had for both of them. One of them had a dental procedure and both just general check and vaccines. My younger dog had some of the vaccines a couple of months ago and they gave them to my dog again!

I swear if something happens to my dog, they won't have anywhere to go! I will make to suspend their licenses! The reason I say this is because my older dog had a dental check which was under anesthesia and I was never told about the complications and my 6 y/o male, super healthy dog because even they saw it on the results, has been found after 3 days of the procedure dead at home! These ** people killed my dog!

The best part is when I went there, they said I signed a form where I assume all the responsibility if something happens to my dog. Well, yes, I signed a form but when I asked the girl who was "helping me", she said it was just a drop off form which it was not! Now my dog is dead; my other dog is vaccinated twice in less than 2 months! Their staff is just ridiculous! They don't know what in the ** they are doing!

I asked for an autopsy and one of them said they could only check for bites just in case it was because a spider, etc. and that I will have to pay for the autopsy if I wanted it! Well, guess what?! I took my dog's dead body to them and they had to pay for it! I took my dog to them thinking I will keep him healthy and 3 days later of the first visit, my dog is dead! Don't ever go to these people because it's obvious all they care about money!

Original review: May 16, 2013

I have used Banfield in Warminster, PA for years. I am on my 6th dog at this location. All my dogs started as 8-week-old pups. Within the last year or so, this location has gone massively downhill. Front desk is rude and incompetent! On four different occasions within the last 10 months, I have showed up for appointments and they have no record of them. When I asked for the name of the person who worked the front desk on the day that I made the appointment, I got nothing but excuses. I’m not sure if they don't know how to work their software program or what, but this is ridiculous.

Another complaint is that I can never get my dogs in for a sick appointment. I have the insurance but am told they have no openings for weeks! When I asked what I am to do, I'm told to take them to the animal hospital in Langhorne. Are you kidding me? What do I pay insurance for if I need to go elsewhere? I can't cancel the insurance because as others stated, you are charged for the full year. Stay clear of Banfield. Extremely expensive and care is awful!

Original review: May 15, 2013

I moved to New Oxford, Pennsylvania from Cincinnati, Ohio and the closest Banfield is a 45-minute drive. I dropped my dog and cat off to the Mechanicsburg Banfield and almost 30 minutes later, the vet called saying they don't know who or why the person scheduled my dog the dental since I never met with her. Then on top of that, I told her it is a 45-minute drive for me and I've had to schedule weeks in advance due to them only doing dental on certain days and I work three jobs. Then she said she would do it but not the cat because she isn't even scheduled right and she had her under a comprehensive and not a dental. I seriously don't recommend Banfield, period. I pay every month directly from my card but never receive my flea meds, and I have to call them. I don't know how many times they have had to waive my monthly fee due to their mess up! I don't recommend them! Don't go to Banfield!

Original review: May 11, 2013

I took my cat in because she seemed to be having trouble with her ears itching. They cleaned her ear very well and sent me home with medication for her and I had a return visit a week later. They had many other things they wanted to do and quoted me an enormous price along with a huge bill for the calls I had made. They insisted I had to get a rabies shot even though she never goes outside, wanted to sell me pet insurance, and had other things they wanted to do. I think they just rack up the bill as much as possible. Anyway, now my cat is not eating at all and she was perfectly fine before I went there, except for her itching ears. I wish I had never taken her in to see them. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM AT ALL.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information