2. Pets
  3. Pet Breeders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.13/5

AKC Dog Breeders Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Dog Breeders?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Dog Breeders?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

My husband and I recently purchased a Neapolitan mastiff from Paul and Joyce **. We were very skeptical about purchasing a puppy that was over 8 hrs away and having it shipped. So many scammers these days! After a little research and a phone call we were on our way! Paul and Joyce answered any and all questions we had. We are new to the breed. They assured us of their shipping method which was nothing short of professional! The first time we spoke was a Thurs evening. We received our puppy late Monday night. They text us to keep us updated every day! Sometimes 2 or 3 times a day with pictures! We received a happy, healthy, well socialized and clearly in the process of training 13 week old male! We couldn’t be happier! Highly recommend!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

My sister got a puppy through this website some months ago; at first, I was pessimistic because of the bad reviews people have made about their products and service. However, it turned out that I was wrong, that pup is the best we had ever had. **

Get buying tips about Pet Breeders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

You can tell from the inital interaction that Darlene has a true love for her Danes and their puppies. We purchased ours about a month before they were ready to come home and would receive pictures and updates at least once a week. She was very open and was promptly responsive to any questions we had. On our day of pick up our puppy was ready at the agreed upon time with the cutest and thoughtful care package. We couldn't be happier with our experience and would recommend anyone to Darlene.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

PLEASE READ MYKA's STORY. Myka's story, this note is especially important to people looking for a reputable Shih Tzu breeder. Our research lead us to contact a Shih Tzu breeder in Stony Plain, Alberta Canada and on November 16, 2019 I flew to Edmonton, Alberta – close to Stony Plain – to purchase my lovely sweet 2 ½ months old Myka from “My Dream Shih Tzu” breeder Pam **. Almost a year later Myka became extremely ill and was diagnosed with a congenital liver disease, requiring urgent and life-threatening major surgery. I rushed her to the specialty veterinary hospital in Vancouver and Myka survived the surgery although even now she still suffers from medical issues.

The breeder was “devastated” with the news as there is a potential genetic problem with the dogs she breeds. I exchanged several medical reports with her. She offered a replacement puppy (when one becomes available) as per the two-year health guarantee against life threatening genetic defects clause in the sales contract. I declined as after caring and loving Myka for a year she has become part of the family and is not a commodity you return because it turned out to be defective. Had I taken her up on a replacement puppy, the breeder would have had to forego the revenue generated from the sale of that puppy. By now my vet bills have added up to $9,000 and I asked Pam ** to at least reimburse me for the purchase price of Myka. At that point all communication was blocked by Pam.

I was finally able to have a telephone conversation with her and we mutually agreed that she would reimburse me the $1,800 paid for Myka and I would sign off on the balance of the health guarantee. However.... three days later I received an email whereby she reneged on this agreement as she had offered me a replacement puppy (when available). Case closed! I will leave it up to the individual reader to form their own opinion about this unethical behavior, but must caution people when searching for a reliable Shih Tzu breeder. You know who NOT to buy from. BUYER BEWARE. Please feel free to share this far and wide.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

I purchased a puppy from Darlena and Carlos **. Advertisement via AKC advertised purebred Cane Corso puppies for sale 2500. The AKC website also states comes with ICCF, AKC, Pedigree papers. I asked was the puppy mixed due to her stripe in the center of the puppy face. That marking is most common on pitbulls. I was assured the puppy I purchased was a full bred Cane Corso. I performed a DNA test on the puppy and the results came back mixed breed. Cane Corso, Mastiff, pit, Rottweiler. I reached out to the breeder. I explained the results. The breeder asked for me to email DNA. I would also like to say the DNA showed 13% inbreeding. Anything over 10% could cause health problems. It could also cause defects to the offspring.

I sent all the information to the breeder. I asked for a refund. The breeder refused to resolve the issue. Also the AKC website explains if I cannot keep the dog I can return the puppy. Also I had to pay for the pedigree via AKC however the pedigree the breeder gave me does not match what AKC gave me. Also DNA showed family history, where the mixing started. That also does not match what I have from the breeder. I called AKC, I was told to email a complaints with all evidence. After, they review everything they will contact seller and try to resolve the issue. I also have a contract I had to sign. The contracts states a Cane Corso purebred. I still need to reach out to ICCF.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Parvo. We spent 8 full days and nights from the time we received this puppy, administering IV fluids and watching it vomit and suffer tremendously. Dog was delivered to us on Saturday, October 10 by employee at a gas station. Since we didn't get to go to the actual location of the breeder, I have attached photos of their location from google earth below. The employee gave me food and a syringe saying the puppy would be carsick and we would need to force feed him. We have picked up puppies before and nobody has ever told us that we would have to force feed them.

We noticed early on that he was thinner and weaker than any puppy we had known. We suspected perhaps he had been tranquilized for the trip and that is how we justified in our minds that he was so disengaged. We were wrong. We should have trusted our guts. He threw up all of that day and continued to throw up every 2 hrs or so until I took him to our vet at 9am Monday. Our vet expressed concern and the dog subsequently tested positive for Parvo. He was very ill and we cared for him 24/7 for the entire week, including IV fluids and anti nausea meds.

Certificate of Veterinary Inspection that we received has our name, vet name, breeder name. However, the data on the dog itself was incorrect. The Certificate of Veterinary Inspection states the puppy's DOB is 7/29/20 when everything else that was given to us by the breeder or posted on her website says it is 8/5/2020. A week's difference. The Certificate of Veterinary Inspection states the puppy was to be shipped on 10/8/20 when it was actually 10/10/20. The Certificate of Veterinary Inspection states the puppy was being shipped via air cargo when we actually physically picked him up ourselves from employee, Lory at the Sinclair station south of Cedar City, Utah.

All of this is suspect to us. We do not want to believe the worse and have done what we can do try to gain understanding from the breeder but, it appears we were issued and paid for a fraudulent health certificate so that the breeder could send us home with a sick dog. We can't reach any other conclusion in our minds as we have tried to give the breeder the benefit of the doubt and we have tried to communicate with the breeder but, she will not engage in a conversation about what has happened. I do not know if this has happened to others.

The health guarantee Color Country Aussies issues is a joke. We took our puppy to our vet within the 48 hr time frame Color Country Aussies stipulates in order to not render the guarantee "null and void". Not to mention, you are required to feed your puppy the food that she likely receives a commission on, in order to keep the guarantee in effect. Which, as we have discovered, is really no guarantee at all even though we have held up our end of the bargain. The breeder currently has 26 puppies listed for sale on puppyfind.com so, I'm sure she is very busy.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

I put down a deposit with Simply Southern Retrievers, LLC to take home a puppy in October. Before placing a deposit, I provided an application and reference and Amy said everything looked great. I asked when the puppies would be picked up and was told 8 weeks. Later, when trying to arrange pick up the only date I was given was before 8 weeks. This is against state law and not allowed on the airline I would have used to transport the puppy.

When I mentioned it was against state law, Amy immediately told me to find another breeder and refused to sell me the puppy. I was willing to pay a flight nanny to take the puppy home at 8 weeks, but she refused to work out the issue, would not talk on the phone and ignored my texts. This was extremely inconvenient for me because I had already paid for puppy classes and deferred my part time masters degree studies to care for the puppy. Also, I was very excited to take home the puppy in just a few weeks. Overall it was not a good experience and I don't recommend working with them.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

Roaming Lab Farm in Comer, GA sold and delivered to me a sick puppy that required emergency surgery and medical care that cost over $7,000 thousand dollars. The state of Georgia & Massachusetts law both prohibit the sale of puppies prior to 8 weeks – this puppy was scheduled to be delivered at 8 weeks but the breeder decided to deliver the puppy at 7 weeks. Born March 9, and sold on May 1, 2020. The delivery was purposefully rushed because they recognized that the puppy was ill and they knew that it would not survive the week. Prior to entering surgery the breeder’s wife, Kalya, told me she would help with the cost of surgery. I have yet to receive a penny.

I have documented evidence from 2 veterinarians where she was told she would refund the cost of puppy and transportation. I have evidence that my puppy was sick 3-5 days prior to delivery. He was transported by Cody Owner of Roaming Lab farms. Cody told me that my puppy was carsick and just needed a little food and water. The dogs smelled of vomit, Cody explained one of the dogs threw up from being car sick. Our Dog threw up a few hours after he was delivered. They knowingly delivered my critically sick puppy that couldn’t walk or hold his head up. FYI Several other puppies from the litter had hookworm and hookworm and giardia. My puppy had Intussusception and had over 2 feet of his dead intestines removed.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

Beware – Puppy Scam. In June 2020, I called Cathleen ** of ‘Whalen’s Wonderful Goldens.’ After calling about 12 different places, she was the only one that said she had puppies available. I was surprised because no other place had even one puppy that wasn’t spoken for, but I was happy. I said I wanted a female. She said if a female was born in the litter, I would have her, and she asked for a deposit. I sent her the $200. I also said if there wasn’t a female, I would take a male. Almost two months later, she called me and launched into a long, strange story about an older puppy from another breeder that was returned for behavior issues and she wanted me to buy that dog for the same price ($2,900) instead of a dog from her litter.

She said she could not otherwise guarantee I would get a female. I reminded her of our conversation, and she replied that there were now 2 other people ahead of me and that one of them had given her an extra $500 to guarantee a female. She also said the dog had all of her shots and was spayed – she said that twice. I said “spayed?” (These are pure-bred Goldens and shouldn’t be spayed). She said “no she’s not spayed” and launched into why young dogs shouldn’t be spayed (interesting diversionary tactic). I felt sucker punched.

When we got off the phone, she sent me pictures of the older dog with the message “I won’t eat your leather shoes.” I sent her back a text saying that I would like to stick to our original agreement and asked her to confirm that we still had the agreement. I did not hear from her for a week. On the advice of a friend, I sent her a text asking her to please contact me within two days to let me know if she was breaking our deal or if it was still on. I was particularly nervous because she lives 4+ hours away which is a long way to go to not get a puppy. She called me and told me that since we had made our deal she had gotten many calls for puppies with offers of more money. She asked if she could think about what she wanted to do and get back to me in a couple days.

From her constant talk about money, I had a pretty bad feeling what was going to happen. She sent me a text in two days saying she was sorry but she was not going to have a puppy for me. I sent her a text saying that I was horrified at what she was doing and if she had told me to give her an extra $500 in the first place, I would have. She misunderstood my text and called me immediately saying if I send her an extra $500, she would “drop the other breeder.” Wow. Just Wow. Of course, I recognized it for what it was at that point. Get as much money as you can out of each person, and if there even is a litter, only a small number of people get a puppy.

So now I am back on the phone looking for a puppy, and one of the breeders told me that is not an unusual scam and sometimes ‘breeders’ take deposits from a huge number of people and then when those that were scammed call them, the ‘breeder’ says, ‘we don’t have anymore puppies available, but I will apply your deposit to the next litter.’ When I told her I was horrified at what she did, she said that the pregnant dog was bleeding so maybe no one would get a puppy! She blamed herself at first and later blamed me and even blamed God. My advice to anyone seeking a puppy is AVOID THE **! And be careful! There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there, and they are a lot sneakier than the warnings of puppy scammers that you read about!

What I have since learned from honest breeders is: be careful of people that ask for a deposit before the puppies are born, breeders that don’t follow up with you at all, and don’t give any reference to an application or paperwork. Also beware of breeders that claim to have many puppies available during the pandemic. It is really hard to get a dog right now, and there are a lot of scams! Also, beware of people that look at breeding as mainly a money maker and do not have another job. Lastly, just because they are on AKC Marketplace does not mean they are legitimate. AKC does not vet these people. They need to do a better job!

Original review: July 14, 2020

I attempted to utilize AKC to find a puppy or dog. Following the recommendations of AKC, I asked to see where the puppies/dogs were housed, and if they were part of the household or lived in a kennel. I ask the representatives to be transparent with me about any health problems the dog/puppy had because I was okay with buying a disabled dog/puppy provided that I understood what was wrong. My goal was to help the animal as much as possible.

Results: AKC provides unethical kennels advertising space with rankings as if they hold the kennels to a specific level by offering special certifications. However, it appears that AKC simply sells certifications and advertisement space to kennels while not holding them to the high standards they claim. Furthermore, AKC offers a puppy finder service for a substantial amount of money and a do-it-yourself puppy finder (which I utilized) while distancing themselves from the certifications they have sold to kennels. Thusly, AKC makes money from kennels without regard to health and safety of the animals while making money on unsuspecting shoppers who are looking for a dog/puppy.

Example: 1. I contacted Karen ** at Power River Shelties in CA via email, who emailed me the application form. I emailed Cheryl ** the completed application. Ms ** emailed that she had one puppy available. I emailed if the puppy had special needs. Ms ** emailed that the puppy was "squished in uteri by siblings." I emailed Ms **, asking for clarification. Ms ** emailed that she was taking the puppy to the vet that same morning. I emailed and asked for an After Visit Summary and the results of the examination. Ms ** emailed "The vet gave a clean bill of health and normal lifespan although she had developmental issues..." but was improving.

I emailed Ms ** and asked what the vet meant by "developmental issues." Ms ** emailed, "She was a little slower getting on her feet and using strength but no issues now." I emailed a request to visit Power River Shelties and asked again for clarification on what "developmental issues" means in terms of a puppy. Since I had read about developmental delays in dogs, I asked about house-breaking. Ms ** emailed me a statement that since I was ignorant of how to care for a puppy that was 10 weeks old, she refused to sell me one.

Example 2. I emailed Kyrie Shelties in IA and asked about any available adult shelties. Tracy ** responded that she had a sheltie adult (Cola) available, and she asked for an informal application, which I provided via email. Ms ** emailed that she would send me photos of the dog. I emailed Ms ** a thank you (prior to receiving the photos) and stated that a friend would like to visit the facility. I asked if the dog had any special needs. Ms ** did not respond.

AKC Dog Breeders Company Information