2.2/5 (59 ratings)

About AKC Dog Breeders

AKC Dog Breeders Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Dog Breeders?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Dog Breeders?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I found Bel & Dean on the AKC website while searching for a Belgian Malinois and could not be happier with my experience. They have been warm and helpful at every stage of the process—from choosing my puppy to picking him up to continuing to be a resource for me after delivery. Bel checks in on us weekly to make sure my malinois is happy and healthy and even sends us update photos of his siblings. I will absolutely be working with them again in the future when I'm ready for a sibling for my young pup.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

Working with Rose to find our furry, four-legged family member has been an absolute blessing! She is super friendly and helpful. I never would have imagined how overwhelming it could be to find the right frenchie for our family. Rose quickly put our worries and anxieties at ease with her vast knowledge, experience, as well as health guarantees. She is an amazing person who breeds amazing frenchies! I would highly recommend anyone interested in a French Bulldog to do themselves a favor and reach out to her.

Get buying tips about Pet Breeders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

Please don’t purchase a dog from Karen Lorenz owner of Companions From Heaven. I put a hefty deposit on a Maltese and the entire litter died. She would not refund my money! She said I could have a Bichon Frise from the next litter. I didn’t want a Bichon but agreed I would take a girl. All boys were born. She then called to say she wasn’t going to breed her 2 year old female Bichon anymore and thought that would be a good fit for us since she was trained. We agreed! When we went to pick her up, my instincts said, "No don’t take this dog" but I didn’t listen and took her anyway. Also she admitted that she left the Maltese litter in the sun too long and that’s why they died.

We got the Bichon home and she wasn’t trained at all., she would step in her own poop and lay in it! She was obviously kept in a crate and not in the breeder's home as she claimed. We sent the dog to obedience school for 6 weeks to get her potty trained. It didn’t work. We kept her for 5 months. I am still heartbroken. She is now in a good home where they can put up with that behavior. Karen Lorenz is a liar and a thief and the worst breeder! I don’t understand why she is AKC registered. Does the AKC not mean anything?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

This guy is a fraud and a liar. This thief sold me two dogs with hips and elbow problems. I have been waiting for AKC for months and never got them. Don't buy from him. Don't do business with him. He is a fraud.

Original review: July 16, 2021

My family bought a Mini Wiener from this breeder. We got the wienie & then about 2 weeks into having her we noticed she was getting really skinny & sick so we took her to the vets. Turns out she has a mega esophagus, so we literally have to give her medication twice a day & feed her in a doggy high chair 3 times a day. We contacted the breeder asking for our money back, since we were sold a literal special needs dog & the vet bills have been a lot, but the breeder won’t give the money back unless we give the dog back. But if we give the dog back the breeder is going to kill it to get rid of any evidence that she’s breeding dogs together that she shouldn’t be breeding to cause this problem. Whenever originally emailed about it, the breeder’s response sounded like this wasn’t the first time it happened, & she even called the dog a faulty product.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

My husband and I recently purchased a Neapolitan mastiff from Paul and Joyce **. We were very skeptical about purchasing a puppy that was over 8 hrs away and having it shipped. So many scammers these days! After a little research and a phone call we were on our way! Paul and Joyce answered any and all questions we had. We are new to the breed. They assured us of their shipping method which was nothing short of professional! The first time we spoke was a Thurs evening. We received our puppy late Monday night. They text us to keep us updated every day! Sometimes 2 or 3 times a day with pictures! We received a happy, healthy, well socialized and clearly in the process of training 13 week old male! We couldn’t be happier! Highly recommend!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

PLEASE READ MYKA's STORY. Myka's story, this note is especially important to people looking for a reputable Shih Tzu breeder. Our research lead us to contact a Shih Tzu breeder in Stony Plain, Alberta Canada and on November 16, 2019 I flew to Edmonton, Alberta – close to Stony Plain – to purchase my lovely sweet 2 ½ months old Myka from “My Dream Shih Tzu” breeder Pam **. Almost a year later Myka became extremely ill and was diagnosed with a congenital liver disease, requiring urgent and life-threatening major surgery. I rushed her to the specialty veterinary hospital in Vancouver and Myka survived the surgery although even now she still suffers from medical issues.

The breeder was “devastated” with the news as there is a potential genetic problem with the dogs she breeds. I exchanged several medical reports with her. She offered a replacement puppy (when one becomes available) as per the two-year health guarantee against life threatening genetic defects clause in the sales contract. I declined as after caring and loving Myka for a year she has become part of the family and is not a commodity you return because it turned out to be defective. Had I taken her up on a replacement puppy, the breeder would have had to forego the revenue generated from the sale of that puppy. By now my vet bills have added up to $9,000 and I asked Pam ** to at least reimburse me for the purchase price of Myka. At that point all communication was blocked by Pam.

I was finally able to have a telephone conversation with her and we mutually agreed that she would reimburse me the $1,800 paid for Myka and I would sign off on the balance of the health guarantee. However.... three days later I received an email whereby she reneged on this agreement as she had offered me a replacement puppy (when available). Case closed! I will leave it up to the individual reader to form their own opinion about this unethical behavior, but must caution people when searching for a reliable Shih Tzu breeder. You know who NOT to buy from. BUYER BEWARE. Please feel free to share this far and wide.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

I purchased a puppy from Darlena and Carlos **. Advertisement via AKC advertised purebred Cane Corso puppies for sale 2500. The AKC website also states comes with ICCF, AKC, Pedigree papers. I asked was the puppy mixed due to her stripe in the center of the puppy face. That marking is most common on pitbulls. I was assured the puppy I purchased was a full bred Cane Corso. I performed a DNA test on the puppy and the results came back mixed breed. Cane Corso, Mastiff, pit, Rottweiler. I reached out to the breeder. I explained the results. The breeder asked for me to email DNA. I would also like to say the DNA showed 13% inbreeding. Anything over 10% could cause health problems. It could also cause defects to the offspring.

I sent all the information to the breeder. I asked for a refund. The breeder refused to resolve the issue. Also the AKC website explains if I cannot keep the dog I can return the puppy. Also I had to pay for the pedigree via AKC however the pedigree the breeder gave me does not match what AKC gave me. Also DNA showed family history, where the mixing started. That also does not match what I have from the breeder. I called AKC, I was told to email a complaints with all evidence. After, they review everything they will contact seller and try to resolve the issue. I also have a contract I had to sign. The contracts states a Cane Corso purebred. I still need to reach out to ICCF.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Parvo. We spent 8 full days and nights from the time we received this puppy, administering IV fluids and watching it vomit and suffer tremendously. Dog was delivered to us on Saturday, October 10 by employee at a gas station. Since we didn't get to go to the actual location of the breeder, I have attached photos of their location from google earth below. The employee gave me food and a syringe saying the puppy would be carsick and we would need to force feed him. We have picked up puppies before and nobody has ever told us that we would have to force feed them.

We noticed early on that he was thinner and weaker than any puppy we had known. We suspected perhaps he had been tranquilized for the trip and that is how we justified in our minds that he was so disengaged. We were wrong. We should have trusted our guts. He threw up all of that day and continued to throw up every 2 hrs or so until I took him to our vet at 9am Monday. Our vet expressed concern and the dog subsequently tested positive for Parvo. He was very ill and we cared for him 24/7 for the entire week, including IV fluids and anti nausea meds.

Certificate of Veterinary Inspection that we received has our name, vet name, breeder name. However, the data on the dog itself was incorrect. The Certificate of Veterinary Inspection states the puppy's DOB is 7/29/20 when everything else that was given to us by the breeder or posted on her website says it is 8/5/2020. A week's difference. The Certificate of Veterinary Inspection states the puppy was to be shipped on 10/8/20 when it was actually 10/10/20. The Certificate of Veterinary Inspection states the puppy was being shipped via air cargo when we actually physically picked him up ourselves from employee, Lory at the Sinclair station south of Cedar City, Utah.

All of this is suspect to us. We do not want to believe the worse and have done what we can do try to gain understanding from the breeder but, it appears we were issued and paid for a fraudulent health certificate so that the breeder could send us home with a sick dog. We can't reach any other conclusion in our minds as we have tried to give the breeder the benefit of the doubt and we have tried to communicate with the breeder but, she will not engage in a conversation about what has happened. I do not know if this has happened to others.

The health guarantee Color Country Aussies issues is a joke. We took our puppy to our vet within the 48 hr time frame Color Country Aussies stipulates in order to not render the guarantee "null and void". Not to mention, you are required to feed your puppy the food that she likely receives a commission on, in order to keep the guarantee in effect. Which, as we have discovered, is really no guarantee at all even though we have held up our end of the bargain. The breeder currently has 26 puppies listed for sale on puppyfind.com so, I'm sure she is very busy.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

I put down a deposit with Simply Southern Retrievers, LLC to take home a puppy in October. Before placing a deposit, I provided an application and reference and Amy said everything looked great. I asked when the puppies would be picked up and was told 8 weeks. Later, when trying to arrange pick up the only date I was given was before 8 weeks. This is against state law and not allowed on the airline I would have used to transport the puppy.

When I mentioned it was against state law, Amy immediately told me to find another breeder and refused to sell me the puppy. I was willing to pay a flight nanny to take the puppy home at 8 weeks, but she refused to work out the issue, would not talk on the phone and ignored my texts. This was extremely inconvenient for me because I had already paid for puppy classes and deferred my part time masters degree studies to care for the puppy. Also, I was very excited to take home the puppy in just a few weeks. Overall it was not a good experience and I don't recommend working with them.

AKC Dog Breeders Company Information