4.07/5
  • 1 star
Based on 14 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a pet breeder?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 20, 2017

14 AKC Dog Breeders Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

A dog I bought from a registered AKC Breeder. I tried to report the dog lineage for a genetic defect. The actual breeder just said “sorry she has it”. When I contacted the AKC to report this. I was told “Hi Kevin, thanks for reaching out to us. We are always concerned when we learn of sick dogs, or in this case, a genetic problem passed through the bloodline. However, the AKC does not license or endorse anyone engaged in the commerce of selling purebred dogs and, therefore, has no control over the business practices of those involved in such transactions. Membership in the AKC is comprised of independent dog clubs located throughout the United States. No individual persons are members of the AKC.” So in effect there is no oversight of breeders by an organization that claims to set breed standards. Buying from an AKC Breeder has the same risks as buying from a puppy mill.

Original review: July 14, 2017

My husband and I looked for 3 yrs for the perfect Frenchie. Stature, characteristics, price, & distance... Looked at hundreds upon hundreds of pictures etc. Searched and contemplated distance and price. Ms Janet was MORE than accommodating!!! Met up with us at an easy location. Shots done. Etc. She was so friendly and welcoming! We have recommended her to several friends who absolutely fell in love with our baby. He is worth every single penny plus more than we spent on him and believe me I was hesitant at 1st but my husband wanted a Frenchie SO bad.

He is the epitome of HAPPY and SMILE all wrapped up in one furball! It just makes our hearts glow looking at him. Loves getting pictures of our pup and can talk with her like we've been friends forever. She is an outstanding Breeder! Had trouble with our AKC papers and she was on top of making that right asap. Would highly HIGHLY recommend her!!! And we'll be getting more babies from her in the future as long as she's in business no matter where we are!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

I was very pleased with the cleanliness of this business. Normally anything to do with pets you think mess, but it was surprisingly super clean and smelled very pleasant. I was very impressed with the quality of care there at that business. They were genuinely loving to my dog and showed lots of compassion towards mine and everyone else's dogs that I saw when there. The customer service was super awesome! Was very impressed! The staff was very knowledgeable when told what all was to be done in detail. I actually didn't stay the whole time so I can only vouch for what I was told and the end results, which were awesome also!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

Very clean. It was a private home. The puppies were very well taken of. They were very healthy puppies. The house didn't smell. They had their first shots. They clean. No urine smell. Their kennels were clean. There was plenty of food there. They also had a certificate from the vet that the puppies were in good health. It was a good experience. They are very nice. They gave us plenty of time to make up our minds which puppy we wanted. They informed us what we needed for the puppy. They told us what kind of food to feed her. They told us about grooming her every 6 to 8 weeks, what kind of toys. And even recommended to a good vet.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

When I go to their facility it's very clean, never dirty. My animals love the people there. Very sweet and don't mistreat and care that money is tight and give me time to pay them because my animal is number one. My animal doctor are very gentle and sweet and my animals love to be around the other people other departments because they care of these animals. I love my vets. They call us and send cards and love my animals just like family. That's like putting a special Mark in my heart. My animals are everything.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AKC Dog Breeders?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2016

The breeder I purchased from had a very clean facility and home. Every aspect of the purchase was wonderful. I love having and AKC dog and would highly recommend others purchase AKC dogs. The puppy I purchased was lovingly cared for, was given her first puppy shot and wormed, was very well socialized having received individualized attention every day. The instructions given to me by the breeder were helpful. The information provided by the AKC was just what I needed and the breeder was very helpful as well, giving me prior health history and tips on feeding and housebreaking my new puppy. The AKC is very knowledgeable about dogs, especially puppies and their needs. If I have a question about caring for my dog, the AKC is the first place I look.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2016

Building clean, individual cages, well-taken care dogs – clean and healthy. Excellent record keeping. Building was well insulated and temperature controlled. Dogs were well cared for, well fed. They were friendly and easily managed. The breeding stock was not abused by overly producing litters. Excellent records made it very easy to asserts in this. Original contact by phone. Excellent information and directions given to arrive at facilities. Staff was very helpful and courteous. Questions answered quickly and straightforward. Very knowledgeable about the breed in question and information about training and expected behavior of the puppies. All questions answered fully and clearly.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

Very clean and neat. The dogs were well taken care of. They had plenty of room to run around. Nice yard, very well loved. Very pleased with the breeder. The dogs were vaccinated, nurtured. The breeder worked with them from puppies and by 8 weeks the puppy was already going outside. The breeder was thoughtful and caring. She constantly sent pictures of the puppies and showed them at play. She made sure I had everything I needed to bring my puppy home. She seemed very knowledgeable about the breed and how to work with the puppy. She fed the puppies quality food and providing excellent guidance.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I found the service staff to be very hygienic and I am a bit of a neat freak. The venue was fastidiously clean and it made really trust their service because, let's be honest, that is half the reason I go. I am not an easy customer to deal with. All too often I find customer support to be lacking, or the terms and conditions not being laid out plainly enough. I, however, really took a shine to the kind folks who laid everything out in perfect detail and my bill matched exactly what they told me it would be.

I felt as if I was listened to and coached through the experience. The entire time I felt like I was treated like a neighbor and not another customer standing in line. Specifically in this area, I find it important to have good customer service and these kind folks exceeded my expectations. I thought I knew what I was talking about when I walked in, but it turns out that the service staff knew far more than I ever could. They informed me about what they wanted to do and answered all of my questions with prompt, knowledgeable, and concise answers.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2016

It was very clean and well kept. Dogs food and water bowls were clean. There were no visible urine or feces that I could see. Dogs were also clean and fresh. Dogs were nourished and hydrated and had no parasites visible. All had collars and seemed to be content in their kennels and none were aggressive. Customer service was excellent. Could not have asked for more than the service I was given. Wish all businesses had this high standard of customer service. Staff was very knowledgeable about pets, their conditions and all vital data. They were very helpful to me and my companion and went above and beyond the call of duty.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

Kennels were best and clean. Dogs were clean and healthy. No bad smells or behaviors. Excellent experience. Glad we got our dog here. The dogs all seemed very well cared for. No issues noticed. We were very pleased in every aspect of the experience. The dogs all seemed well cared for. Very happy with our AKC Breeder. They were knowledgeable about the breeds they sold and very easy to deal with. So glad we went to that for our dog.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

She had all animals up to date on shots and all were in excellent health and were guaranteed and she called me at my home twice over several months to check on the puppy and make sure health and attitude were satisfactory. I would recommend. Was able not only to give medications but point out standard features and qualities that I knew little to nothing about.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

I actually only dealt with AKC through the mail when I purchased my purebred husky and was having him registered. They were professional and quick. They answered all of my questions about registering my pet and what I had to do to keep his "bloodline" pure. They were really kind and helpful and very knowledgeable. They explained everything we needed to do when we purchased our purebred puppy. They had recommendations and ideas and opinions that helped us through the process of registering our purebred husky pup.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

The AKC breeders tend to keep their dogs in cleaner areas. The dogs appear to be in good health and also appear to get regular veterinarian checks as they look healthy as well as get regular grooming. The bred dogs I've seen are in good health and have nice living conditions. Although AKC bred dogs are far more expensive they belong to owners that appear to genuinely care about taking care of their dogs and finding good homes for them. AKC breeders are very knowledgeable about the breed of dog they specialize in as well as what typical traits to look for when choosing their type of dog.

AKC Dog Breeders Company Information