1.50/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

4health Dog Food

4health pet food uses premium natural ingredients to curate the best formulas for your pet. Always the #1 ingredient, real meat is complemented by whole vegetables so you can be sure your pet is receiving the nutrients they need. You will never find corn, soy or wheat in 4health foods, but you will find omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat as well as antioxidants to promote overall good health in your animals. Found exclusively at Tractor Supply Co., 4health is committed to providing optimal nutrition for optimal health.

Looking for a good dog food brand?

18 4health Dog Food Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 3, 2019

I have a German shorthaired pointer and had trouble keeping weight on him. I 1st tried 4health because I received a coupon for a free bag. He loves it. Other dog food he would eat a little when he was hungry, but not enough to keep any weight on him. He was always underweight despite being free fed. With the 4health performance formula, he enjoys eating it and keeps a healthy weight, despite his almost constant running on the farm during the day. I have also been feeding 4health wet and dry food to the beagle puppies we have. Very healthy and chubby pups! I admit I was wary at 1st, not being a fan of Diamond dog feed, but I no longer have any reservations, despite what I have read on this page.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I started feeding my 4 yrs old Vizsla at the time, 4health dry dog food 2yrs ago. In and out of the vets for runny to bloody stools. All he wanted to do was sleep, slowly stopped eating. Hair loss, rashes. I stopped feeding 4health 5 months ago and WOW, what a difference! I have my dog back! This dog food is made by Diamond with a long list of RECALLS!!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I was buying 4health for my two dog for the last 7 months. My older developed a cough and wasn’t feeling well. Never thinking this was the food took him to the vet, the vet had nothing. He was coughing up a white foamy mucus. Back and forth to the vet 7 times…2000.00 later, multiple tests they shrugged their shoulders and said, maybe it's allergies. Then my 2 yr old mix started coughing and coughing up a white foamy mucus. I changed their food and it took a couple of weeks, but neither dog is coughing any more. It scares me to think this was causing liver or kidney damage to these guys. I still have most of the last big bag I bought. Not sure what to do with it because even sending it to the dump it can wild animals sick. Bad enough I’m out the 40.00 for it and have over 2000.00 in vet bills because of it. This is the worse thing anyone can do for their pets. This company should be out of business.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Gets a rating of 4 out of 5 on dog food advisor. Quality ingredients, no junk fillers, fair price, not too expensive and my dogs love it. It’s also available in grain free. Only sold at tractor supply, that is the only con.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

First I want to say ever since I switched my GS to 4health dry dog food he's been doing great. He's even out on weight after having issues with skin itching and ear infections and weight loss. He's three but after trying everything under the sun not sure what to do for my poor buddy we heard about 4health and it's been great. However... I thought I would try the 4Health canned dog food. After maybe an hour of feeding it to him and just a little bit mixing it in with his dry he had never had such explosive bowel movements and the three years that I've got him he was lethargic. Just in such bad pain.

So needless to say we just decided maybe it was the canned food and we weren't doing it anymore. Sure enough we stopped it. He was fine... But then I saw the 4Health hip and joint chewy bites I thought all this should be great. After giving him one now he seemed to get a little bit of diarrhea. This is months later by the way since the can food and wasn't as active but I thought nothing of it. Then I gave him another one the next day and went out for some errands. When I came home there was a yellow diarrhea everywhere. Vomit everywhere. Foamy vomit. He was in my house. When we leave the house he stays in the secure area. All through the night he was vomiting foamy vomit. I wasn't sure but I thought maybe it was the bite so I would help them.

I gave it to him one more time a couple weeks after to see. Sure enough the next day. I mean is it this product? The dry dog food seems fine but the chewy bites I would never thought something like that would cause such bad issues for him. I mean he was near death. By the way I'm blind as a bat and using my talk-to-text to try to write this message review. His stool by the way was also like a yellow sponge. I don't know. Never had these kind of issues. Won't bees in the bites anymore. I think I'm going to stay with the dry dog food because that seems to be doing great for him. But never ever use that canned dog food and absolutely do not buy those bites.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 4health Dog Food?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Updated on 02/02/2019: I am disgusted with DIAMOND 4HEALTH dog food and the way corporate did absolutely NOTHING to aid, check in, or even pretend like they care. My 4 year old boxer nearly died, from their dog food mistake and Diamond Pet Foods straight up ghosted me for the last 23 days. I was sent one email that was a copy and paste email from a Diamond "veterinarian". I sent in proof of purchase along with clean images of the production stamp, and they said and did NOTHING. I have spent thousands with them, and in return they try to kill my family boxer. Do not support Diamond or 4health. Look at the real reviews - there are about 6 on here with folks that had the exact same issues with their dog's health after feeding them this food. Diamond knows about this and they continue to make dogs very ill and even kill them because they cannot monitor their food production.

Original Review: I have fed our 4 year old Boxer 4 Health large breed adult. Made by Diamond, for the last 3 years. It started as a great alternative to higher priced grain free foods. The most recent bag, purchased from TSC as that's where diamond sells under the label 4 health, makes my boxer vomit after each meal. She is mostly food motivated. It's not like her to have a food standoff for 5 days and refuse to eat. Within 1 hour of eating, each time without fail, she vomits, followed by dry heaves. I need to know what's going on with my boxer, in regards to what happened with this batch of food as it needs to be recalled and removed from the shelves before someone's pet gets very ill or worse. I will make a video as well if I don't hear back today, just to show everyone the signs, so they know.

Original review: March 23, 2018

So I had no idea that this was here but I want to share my story. Was urged to switch to 4health by a vet in Franklin TN. Our English bulldog had some skin issues and he thought it help. About 4 months in she started the same issues. Hair loss and itching. We take her to a different vet who does some checking and finds she has some allergies and prescribes some meds. Just when we think we are on the road to good health she stops eating, is rapidly losing weight and throwing up phlegm and panting constantly. Oh and the cow patties she is leaving behind are awful. So back at the vet again and we learn she has some problems with her blood and we pay 500.00 at that visit. 2 days later another round at vet and 450 more. The third visit she is a bit better probably because of steroids but we also started feeding her boiled chicken breasts and rice.

The vet then tells us they think she has cancer so we take to a specialist and they want to test her at 2000.00 and say they wouldn’t be able to cure if it is cancer. They could only treat it. So we take home our 6 year old dog scared to death she could die at any time. But we were in for a miracle. She starts eating more of the chicken and rice we made and her weight picks up and her healthy happy self is back. But not so fast. When we had to go out of town we bought some more 4health salmon and potato dog food thinking it would be easier for the kids to feed while we were away. Now she is back in the same boat. She is throwing up foam and pooping throughout the night. Has no energy and looks awful.

After reading some other reviews on here one thing I find crazy is that most of the bad reviews are coming from TN. So why don’t they notice this and do a little research and find out what is going on. I would like to know. Hell if it were human food it would have been recalled already. I am going to take these reviews to my vet and just ask because I could be wrong but I doubt it and at least they can keep an eye out for it in the future. If anyone else would like to talk about this with me email me **. Thanks for reading.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

My dog has been eating 4health for a few years. A year or so ago he experienced explosive bowel movements after eating the grain free beef stew - the clerk at Tractor Supply was unaware of any issues. A few months ago I bought 2 bags of the hip/joint bones (he had eaten them before and no problem). After eating a few out of the first new bag, he became lethargic and vomited the foamy phlegm that I saw someone else on here had described. I threw away the bag. After a month I decided to open the new bag and try one, thinking he may have just not felt well before, AND seeing no recalls. He ate one and within the hour looked like someone who was drunk. He fell over and couldn't get up, was also vomiting the phlegm.

My son helped me get him into the car and to the vet. By the time we got there (by now a couple of hours since eating the bone), he was acting alert. The past few weeks he has refused to eat any of the 4heath dog food with the exception of a couple of the cans. He began acting lethargic, drinking a lot of water and losing weight. Our vet has just put him on meds for a kidney infection as his white count is up and BUN level is off. After seeing these other comments I have no doubt something is wrong with this food and treats. But what to feed him? Guess I will be making my own since I don't know that there is any brand to trust anymore.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

My daughter has had her pup for 4 years. She is a AKC Basset Hound and on last Sunday she left us all heartbroken. After purchasing a big bag of 4health whitefish and potatoes dog food my daughter and Bailey returned home from college. After opening the bag and feeding Bailey a bowl we left for a few hours and upon returning my wife and daughter's walked into a house of horror and it was only the beginning of this nightmare. BAILEY had vomited and had bloody diarrhea all over the house. She was completely lethargic by Sunday afternoon and died Sunday night. She did not eat anything other than this dog food. Please don't put your beloved pets life at risk. DO NOT BUY THIS DOG FOOD.

Original review: July 7, 2017

We have 2 Labrador pups that started out on different brand (very healthy, energetic puppies) - we switched to 4Health on recommendation of TFS employee last month as a less expensive option. Most recent purchase of food (2nd bag of 4Health) has resulted in lethargic pups with diarrhea, and now they have no appetite. When I bought this last bag, I had to get a smaller size because the large 30-lb bags were sold out (for 2 weeks). I have not seen a recall, and employee at store was unaware of one. Strange to see empty shelf for a popular product, which makes me think there is an unannounced problem with production or quality.

We'll be returning product to local store for refund, and putting pups back on either Wellness or Nutro brand. NOTE: I have 2 older dogs that have not had the puppy food, and are okay. All dogs play together, so I am convinced the dog food is the problem after reading other reviews. A number of years ago, the two older dogs got sick after eating Purina brand - they quit eating altogether until I got a different product for them. They bounced back, but I remember there was a massive recall because the food was tainted with melamine (from rice production, I think).

Original review: May 6, 2017

We have two Havanese littermate pups. They are 6 years old and have eaten 4Health Dog food for four years. Last week, we replenished our supply of can food which we mix with 4Health dry food. Our female pup had a seizure the next day (Thursday) after eating from the new supply. We took her to the vet for blood work to find she had liver issues. At first we thought it was potentially a congenital shunt (potentially still a contributing factor). The vet put her on KD prescription food at that time. We did not notice another seizure until Saturday afternoon and then two additional seizures on Sunday. Our male dog continued to eat the 4Health food as normal until he had a seizure on Monday and we knew it was an environmental issue. We took him to the vet to find his bloodwork showed liver issues as well.

My wife researched to find the reviews on this page which solidified our belief that it is a food issue. Both dogs have been feed the KD prescription food this week and seem to be back to their normal selves. I pulled the cans from the recycling bin when food was believed to be the issue. The two cans were: grain free beef and chicken (lot#1102503) and lamb and rice (lot#1159242). We contacted Tractor Supply to register a complaint with this information. They are going back to Diamond to determine next actions. We want others to know what we have gone through and to encourage others to speak up if they have experienced the same issues we have experienced. Other dogs should not go through what ours have gone through.

Original review: June 12, 2016

My six dogs were switched from Iams MiniChunks to 4health in the summer of 2015 amidst some bad reviews for Iams and some people's dogs becoming really sick. I have had no complaints until the most recent bag I purchased about a week and a half ago, which has made three of my six dogs very sick, with one barely hanging on at the moment. 4health and Diamond Naturals, I have read, are pretty much the same dog foods with the same ingredients and made in the same plant. I thought I should write this after reading of the dogs who have just died recently from eating Diamond dog foods. I have pulled the food from my dogs and are feeding them boiled chicken and rice. However, two of them are still too sick to eat anything. I hope this message goes a long way towards saving some dogs' lives.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2015

I have been feeding my 4-year-old golden retriever and pug 4health foods since they were puppies. I had been happy with the food until this year. This last batch I bought in October, first the Salmon and potato, halfway through the bag the dogs began to refuse eating, then they had diarrhea. I then try and switch to the lamb and rice, and for a day or so it seemed better. But now the retriever is back to diarrhea and the pug refusing to eat. There is definitely something going wrong with their food.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2015

I'm just curious if anyone else has had problems with this food. I feed the dry and canned food. I have 3 big dogs and 4 cats on 4Health. I’ve been ruling out everything that could be causing GI upsets in both my dogs and cats. Night after night - I get woken up by one, two, or all 3 of them with diarrhea. Cats also have recently started having diarrhea and vomiting. I can’t think of anything it could be besides the food. I don’t want to give 4Health a bad reputation if it’s not the food. But they are not subject to anything else that would be causing this. Not to mention, it’s with all my pets. So, putting feelers out there to see if there may be an issue with this food. Thank you.

Original review: April 29, 2015

I have 2 labs, one 22 mo. The other 8 mo. Both were raised on 4Health Puppy formula and all was good. I continue to give the 8 mo lab the puppy formula and she is fine. I think it is good dog food and am satisfied. The problem has been with the 4Health Grain Free Turkey/Potato Adult Formula made by Diamond. I bought 2 30lb bags in Feb2015. She consumed the first bag without any major problems. I did start to notice that her stomach frequently gurgled loudly about 2 weeks ago.

We had just started on the 2nd bag and about 10 days later the problems started. Heavy vomiting (may have been blood in some of the specimens), couldn't keep anything down at all including water, then massive, nasty diarrhea. It took us about 3 days to isolate the cause to possibly being the dog food. So we stopped her from eating any of the Turkey/Potato and gave her a little of the puppy formula. She did better, but still vomited (not as bad). Then I put her on switch (pumpkin) and a different adult dog food. Within a day she was almost like her old self. It has now been 2 days and she is fine. The batch number was DL1 1405. Our dog is fine now and we are just out a bag of dog food. But I will not purchase anymore adult formula dog food made by Diamond.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

My dog became sick after I transitioned him over to the new 4Health Diamond kibble. Began vomiting, then stopped eating. Vet treated him for mycoplasma. Prior to this I had only seen this dog vomit once in 7 years. After several weeks of multiple vet visits, huge vet bills, and round the clock care he became so debilitated that he had to be put down. The dog was perfectly healthy prior to the switch and put up a valiant fight for his life. Tractor Supply told me, at first, that Diamond had just changed the packaging, not the formula, so it took me a week or so to make the connection. In my heart I know it was the food.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

We bought the lamb & rice in a very large size. Shortly after starting the food they started having diarrhea, then it got much worse. Bloody diarrhea and vomiting from all 3 dogs! My English bulldog is the sickest. She eats the most, so, that makes sense. My 3 lb. Snorkie didn't like it and ate the least of it. She still has bloody loose BM's & vomits. The vomit is foul & viscous and resembles the poop. I got a free sample of another high quality dog food at the pet store and was out of town with my Snorkie 4 days. She started feeling better & I didn't see blood, in her firmer BM's.

When we got home my other 2 dogs were worse with fever, chills, vomiting & bloody BM's, that they couldn't even hold to go outside! I fed my little dog more of the Diamond food, not realizing this is why they were sick. I decided it had to be the dog food when my little dog was sick again, after eating the dog food. I pulled all that food, contacted my veterinarian and the store we bought the food from. The store exchanged it for the 4Health dog food we normally buy.

The dogs are 2 days off of the Diamond and the bloody diarrhea stools are much less already. My little dog and our Pittie mix are acting better. But the bulldog isn't doing as well. She ate the most. The vet said give them 3-4 days off the food. If not much better by then, he wants to do blood work to check for liver and kidney damage or failure.

Original review: July 9, 2014

After researching different pet food brands, I decided to try 4health from Tractor Supply Company. Both my cats & dog looked better after just one day on their grain-free food! I'm never going back to Purina.

4health Dog Food Company Information