2.2/5 (776 ratings)

About OpticsPlanet.com

OpticsPlanet is an online solution for shoppers in the market for outdoor and tactical gear. The company offers free shipping on orders of more than $49 to anywhere in the contiguous United States. OpticsPlanet’s collection is selected and organized by its employees and features customized hunting and tactical products.

Pros

• Free shipping and returns
  • Rewards program
  • Military and health worker discounts

Cons

• Doesn’t ship to all states
  • Some items restricted by law

Bottom Line

OpticsPlanet offers a comprehensive selection of outdoor and tactical gear for professionals and hobbyists. It provides free shipping within the contiguous U.S. for orders over $49.

Top OpticsPlanet.com Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… I have had only excellent experiences with this company multiple times. Ordering was easy. Everything arrived exactly what I expected. In the event that there was a back order t...

Verified

… can't say I've ever had a bad experience with OpticsPlanet and I've been buying from them for years. It's been stress free for me… I also emailed tech questions and always hear ...

What is OpticsPlanet?

OpticsPlanet is an online merchant specializing in outdoor, tactical, hunting and shooting accessories. The company sells more than 400,000 staff-selected products by popular brands like Bushnell, Streamlight, Trijicon, Barska and Celestron. Its OPMOD series includes customized hunting and tactical gear specifically designed to meet the needs of hunters and marksmen.

OpticsPlanet sells gear in 581 categories, including sport optics, outdoor and survival, apparel and footwear, eyewear, military and tactical, and sports and hobbies. It offers a large selection of law enforcement equipment, including professional-grade police, fire and EMS gear. The site also features scientific and lab supplies and a wide array of cameras and photography tools. Check out its gift guides for suggestions from product experts on staff.

How to shop for OpticsPlanet products

Customers can shop the OpticsPlanet website by brand, item, price, rating, color, fabric/material, gun type (for accessories) and deals. Sign up for an account to earn rewards. OpticsPlanet offers more than 250,000 items eligible for free shipping and returns to the 48 contiguous U.S. states and military APO/FPO/DPO addresses. Some items include free two-day shipping.

All doctors, nurses, technicians, medical researchers, EMTs, firefighters, law enforcement, active-duty military and veterans are eligible for discounts — call the exclusive hotline number listed on the website to apply your discount.

OpticsPlanet costs

The site has a deals category that lists all current promotions and coupons, and prices vary greatly to help shoppers find gear that fits their budget. For example, its prices on binoculars range from $50 to $5,000.

It’s free to sign up for OpticsPlanet Bucks to earn and redeem rewards for your purchases. Shipping is free on orders over $49 (most items are eligible). All returns are free.

OpticsPlanet FAQ

Where is OpticsPlanet located?
OpticsPlanet is an online retailer located just outside of Chicago, Illinois.
Where does OpticsPlanet ship from?
The OpticsPlanet distribution center is in Illinois. Most items are shipped from the Illinois warehouse.
What are OpticsPlanet Bucks?
OpticsPlanets Bucks are rewards redeemable toward purchases. You can register for a free account to earn them as you shop.
Does OpticsPlanet ship to California?
OpticsPlanet ships most items to California, excluding ammunition.

Is OpticsPlanet legit?

Yes. If you’re a hobbyist or a professional looking for tactical gear, you’ll find a huge selection of brands and products at OpticsPlanet. Most items are in stock and ready to ship from the Illinois-based warehouse. On-staff experts offer knowledge and advice to assist you, and free returns help you shop without worry. Be aware that some items are restricted to authorized users only, and the company sometimes requires documentation for a purchase.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OpticsPlanet.com?

Original review: March 2, 2022

I recently ordered a Vortex Strike Eagle Scope and was very pleased with my service and purchase. After reading some terrible reviews questioning the company and calling them scammers I became very worried. However I received my order right on time with zero problems. My advice is to check if your product is in stock and you should have zero problems.

OpticsPlanet.com response

Thank you for your kind words. We always appreciate hearing positive feedback and are constantly looking to improve.

If there is anything we can help you with in the future, please feel free to contact our customer care team and we will be more than happy to assist you. Have a great day!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

I was shopping for a Celestron 9.25" Evolution telescope, talked to and did not feel comfortable with a few other sellers. The folks at Optics Planet took the time to provide me with the information that I needed. I was given a Veterans discount and free shipping on an item that would have normally been expensive to ship. The telescope arrived promptly and in great condition. Thank you Optics Planet!

OpticsPlanet.com response

Hi Ronald! Thank you for your kind words! We always appreciate hearing positive feedback and are constantly looking to improve. We hope you enjoy your purchase. If you haven't already, please subscribe to our newsletter to hear of upcoming promotions and great deals. Thank you for your support. Have a wonderful day!

Get buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I'm not sure why everyone has such bad experiences with this company other than it seems a lot of reviews here ordered something that was back-ordered without having realised it. OpticsPlanet had an item (a Spuhr G3 stock) I wanted that only one other place had for significantly higher price. I read the reviews and was extremely wary of OpticsPlanet, but I asked a friend of mine about them. He's ordered from them several times before and never had any issues (though never any ammunition), all he said was to make sure the item I was ordering was actually *in stock*. I took a chance and ordered the stock from OpticsPlanet, and the order had absolutely zero issues; it shipped promptly and arrived when they said it would.

OpticsPlanet.com response

Greetings Thomas! We appreciate your kind words. We hope you enjoy your purchase. If you haven't already, please subscribe to our newsletter to hear about exclusive promotions and great deals. Thank you and have a great day!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

I ordered three different items on my OpticsPlanet.com order. Prices were competitive, and shipping was free and fast. I placed my order before reading some of the negative comments and was somewhat concerned about my order. No problems here, I was very satisfied and will order from this company again.

OpticsPlanet.com response

Thanks, Shantelle! We appreciate your kind words. We hope you enjoy your purchase. If you haven't already, please subscribe to our newsletter to hear about exclusive promotions and great deals. Thank you and have a great day!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

Ordered a Geissele mount August 26. Said to take 5-8 days to get. Sep. 7th got my order. Mount was in the right box marked 34mm mount. Opened to find a 30mm mount. Called and set it up to return. They said it was late because they use DHL for shipping and that they are always late (a good company would fix that fast). Ship my order back next day. They said I’d receive the right one on that Friday and that they check the box of the new one and that it’s the right one. 8 days later no package. I called and was told they didn’t ship it yet and that it’s back ordered. Should be in 9-20 days then they would ship. This company is truly the worst. Same thing happened years ago and I thought I’d give them another chance, my bad. Canceled the order today and reordered it from Scopelist.com and it’s already en route to my house. Same price. Never order a thing from this company unless you want egg in your face.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are so sorry for the less than ideal experience you had with us. We value you as our customer and hope we can restore your confidence in us. Please be assured that this is not a usual circumstance and we are working on improving our services. We will meet as a team to work on preventing this from happening going forward. We hope you decide to give us another chance in the future. If you do decide to give us another chance, please let us know and we’ll provide you with the best deal possible.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

I ordered parts for a new 300 Blackout build from 6 different websites, all of the parts are scheduled to arrive in a few days. I checked on my OpticsPlanet.com order (the upper) and though it was the FIRST thing I ordered, it shows it should ship out in a couple weeks. The product I ordered wasn't backordered, it was IN STOCK. I contacted support and they indicated that that is the case with many of their products. They list them as IN STOCK when they are in fact backordered. I'm only giving 2 stars (instead of one) because the live chat person was quick to cancel the order when I requested it. OpticsPlanet.com needs to climb out from the rock they are under and realize how the rest of the industry does business.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We're sorry for any confusion. The product's availability is listed near the Add to Cart button. If in stock, it will say "Expected to ship within x-x business days". If it is out of stock or shipping from a sister warehouse, it will show the estimated timeframe for shipping. When your order was placed, the listed estimated availability was 9-20 days. We hope you decide to give us another chance in the future. Please reach out to our customer care if you need further assistance.

Original review: July 21, 2022

Ordered multiple items on June 6th. Received half the items on June 21st. What I received was great! Unfortunately I never received the other half of my order. I contacted OpticsPlanet via email. Was told that my 2nd package was returned to sender and that it will be sent back out when they receive it. I waited a few weeks.. No package or update. So I sent another email asking for a update. No response. Sent another email a few days later. No response. Finally I call them up last week and the lady I talked to said she didn't know where the package was. I then just asked for a refund. Then she said that she couldn't issue a refund and that her manager would have too and I would get a email when she's done. No email yet, or package, or refund...

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are so sorry for the less than ideal experience you've had with us. We truly value you as our customer and want to do everything we can to restore your confidence in us. Unfortunately, I do not see any order details on your review, so I could not check this and see what I can do to get this resolved for you. Please provide us with your order details or reach out to our Customer Care team and we will be more than happy to review your order. Thank you!

Original review: June 17, 2022

Optics Planet uses DHL for shipping. This more than doubles your shipping times. You have to wait a week or more for DHL to get your package to USPS and then another week or so for USPS to get it to you! Nothing against both shipping companies, but it’s twice the effort. Just mail it USPS or UPS and get it in less than half the time. You get only two star!

OpticsPlanet.com response

Greetings Stephen! We are sorry to hear that you have not had a positive experience with us. The pandemic has brought some challenges to the ecommerce industry, including logistics. We have updated our processes and improved on a lot of operations. While we are not yet where you expect us to be, we appreciate your feedback and will use this as a learning opportunity. We hope you decide to give us another chance in the future. Thank you for your review, have a great day!

Original review: April 23, 2022

I have recently became an Optics Planet customer, and ordered (at least) 2-3 separate orders with Optics Planet. My first experience with ordering issues, website issues, and customer service was acceptable and overall decent but resulted in an order not being counted toward my official email/account (Optics Bucks). Ok - no problem.

I just ordered a rifle scope from their website approx. a week ago. I received an email asking me to take additional steps to verify my credit card. First, I missed the email for 3-4 days thinking it was a normal processing email! Next, the email had confusing instructions for me to verify my credit card. This resulted in me spending more than an hour looking for a charge on my credit card(s)—including calling my bank cards to verify a charge that did not yet exist!

I called customer service 3 times and eventually found out…I had to approve a fake charge being added so that I could waste more time and call more people to get my order processed. How is a criminal going to hijack my card, my email, my phone number, my order number, my past orders, my address, etc.? I was told this was because I was shipping to a different address - no other retailer has this issue? Not my first order folks—spent a decent amount of money at this website!!

Poorly written emailed instructions resulted in a bunch of wasted time, a delay in my order, and ultimately me cancelling my order with their customer service (both on the phone and in email) —- which both Customer Service basically told me I was the one who mis-interpreted their poor directions. I cancelled my order, ordered elsewhere, and received next day delivery at no charge since I am a member where I ordered at the same PRICE (minus the minimal optics bucks credit—like literally under 5 bucks!)

I took a screenshot of their instructions, sent to them via email with a complaint, but was still told basically it was my bad—-guess I have low intelligence for not understanding their poor instructions. Even their response via email—-which was the same day—-had typos that made their communications difficult to read—-just unprofessional. I will happily avoid all the recommendation links from partners in the future, and order elsewhere. I have spent my last ‘several hundred dollars’ with them.

OpticsPlanet.com response

Thank you for leaving us a review. We consider the online security of our customer’s payment and personal information to be a top priority. In some instances, a legitimate transaction will need to go through our manual payment review process to ensure the secure processing of the orders. We appreciate your feedback and will use this as a learning opportunity. We hope you decide to give us another chance in the future. If you have any further concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Original review: April 19, 2022

Paid for 5 day shipping, yet 10 days later my order has "supposedly" shipped, but I have not received the item. Sure caused me some problems as I selected Optics Planet specifically because they said they could deliver it quickly. They did refund my shipping charge, but I still do not have the item. For 10 days it has been listed as "Tendered to Delivery Service Provider". I sure don't recommend this business if you want timely delivery. This was my first, and last experience with them.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We apologize for the delay with your order. We never intended for you to have this experience with us. Carriers have suspended their service guarantees due to circumstances outside our control. Your package is still in transit. We can assist in filing for a lost claim after 15 business days of no movement. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Customer Care team. Have a great day!

OpticsPlanet.com Company Information