1.3/5 (33 ratings)

About OpticsPlanet.com

OpticsPlanet is an online solution for shoppers in the market for outdoor and tactical gear. The company offers free shipping on orders of more than $49 to anywhere in the contiguous United States. OpticsPlanet’s collection is selected and organized by its employees and features customized hunting and tactical products.

Pros

• Free shipping and returns
  • Rewards program
  • Military and health worker discounts

Cons

• Doesn’t ship to all states
  • Some items restricted by law

Bottom Line

OpticsPlanet offers a comprehensive selection of outdoor and tactical gear for professionals and hobbyists. It provides free shipping within the contiguous U.S. for orders over $49.

Top OpticsPlanet.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OpticsPlanet.com?

Verified

… I have had only excellent experiences with this company multiple times. Ordering was easy. Everything arrived exactly what I expected. In the event that there was a back order t...

Verified

… can't say I've ever had a bad experience with OpticsPlanet and I've been buying from them for years. It's been stress free for me… I also emailed tech questions and always hear ...

What is OpticsPlanet?

OpticsPlanet is an online merchant specializing in outdoor, tactical, hunting and shooting accessories. The company sells more than 400,000 staff-selected products by popular brands like Bushnell, Streamlight, Trijicon, Barska and Celestron. Its OPMOD series includes customized hunting and tactical gear specifically designed to meet the needs of hunters and marksmen.

OpticsPlanet sells gear in 581 categories, including sport optics, outdoor and survival, apparel and footwear, eyewear, military and tactical, and sports and hobbies. It offers a large selection of law enforcement equipment, including professional-grade police, fire and EMS gear. The site also features scientific and lab supplies and a wide array of cameras and photography tools. Check out its gift guides for suggestions from product experts on staff.

How to shop for OpticsPlanet products

Customers can shop the OpticsPlanet website by brand, item, price, rating, color, fabric/material, gun type (for accessories) and deals. Sign up for an account to earn rewards. OpticsPlanet offers more than 250,000 items eligible for free shipping and returns to the 48 contiguous U.S. states and military APO/FPO/DPO addresses. Some items include free two-day shipping.

All doctors, nurses, technicians, medical researchers, EMTs, firefighters, law enforcement, active-duty military and veterans are eligible for discounts — call the exclusive hotline number listed on the website to apply your discount.

OpticsPlanet costs

The site has a deals category that lists all current promotions and coupons, and prices vary greatly to help shoppers find gear that fits their budget. For example, its prices on binoculars range from $50 to $5,000.

It’s free to sign up for OpticsPlanet Bucks to earn and redeem rewards for your purchases. Shipping is free on orders over $49 (most items are eligible). All returns are free.

OpticsPlanet FAQ

Where is OpticsPlanet located?
OpticsPlanet is an online retailer located just outside of Chicago, Illinois.
Where does OpticsPlanet ship from?
The OpticsPlanet distribution center is in Illinois. Most items are shipped from the Illinois warehouse.
What are OpticsPlanet Bucks?
OpticsPlanets Bucks are rewards redeemable toward purchases. You can register for a free account to earn them as you shop.
Does OpticsPlanet ship to California?
OpticsPlanet ships most items to California, excluding ammunition.

Is OpticsPlanet legit?

Yes. If you’re a hobbyist or a professional looking for tactical gear, you’ll find a huge selection of brands and products at OpticsPlanet. Most items are in stock and ready to ship from the Illinois-based warehouse. On-staff experts offer knowledge and advice to assist you, and free returns help you shop without worry. Be aware that some items are restricted to authorized users only, and the company sometimes requires documentation for a purchase.

OpticsPlanet.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OpticsPlanet.com?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

That said, I would appreciate more communication and updates regarding my order. My order is for a chronograph and rubber ladder rail to add color to a picatinny rail section. It's possible that my order is on hold because the law needs further interpretation regarding accessories. The customer advocate I spoke with was pleasant and professional. Unfortunately, she informed me that they are just as in the dark as their Illinois customers are regarding Optics Planet's plan. I'd like to know if they intend to manually review orders for compliance with the new law and then decide to approve or cancel the order.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2023

I had a package label get swapped at the UPS store and had a return go to OpticsPlanet by mistake and another package go to Primary Arms. I did not know until about two weeks later when Primary Arms contacted me saying they received the wrong items, which I then had returned to sender and redirected to the right location. Meanwhile Optics Planet could not find my package, even with the tracking number and proof of delivery that I provided them that UPS sent me. This was back in August. I bounced back and forth with support at Optics Planet for months up until today where they finally said they never got it, despite me having provided a proof of delivery, and a detailed description of my item to include a unique serial #.

Only today 1/9/23 did they finally tell me that they never received my package and that I should take up my claim with UPS, knowing full well that is outside of my capabilities as UPS requires claims to be filed within 60 days of a package arriving at its intended destination. To say I am upset is an understatement. I understand that this was not originally their problem as I should have reviewed labels at UPS more carefully to prevent a label mix up, however the other company handled the situation as expected in a much more timely manner with good communication, whereas OpticsPlanet completely dropped the ball. Their slow response times and constantly giving me the runaround for months costed me $450 from the Trijicon optic that is lost now.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are truly sorry for this unfortunate experience. Our warehouse team investigated, but was unable to find a package that matches your description. We are unable to return something that we do not have. We recommend filing a claim with the carrier for your lost package, as you mentioned that the mix-up occurred when your labels were swapped at the UPS store. As much as we would like to provide further assistance, this is beyond our control. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Get buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 4, 2023

I placed an order for an automatic knife. Order cancelled no explanation given, not sure why. I would stay away from site. Waste of time. There are plenty of sites you can place an order smooth transaction, pay for it, they shipped to you. No big deal.

OpticsPlanet.com response

Greetings Jesus! We sincerely apologize for any confusion caused. I have just located and reviewed your order, including all email communication. We, unfortunately, had to cancel this order due to not receiving a completed Automatic Knife Certification form which was emailed to you (https://op1.0ps.us/pdf/opplanet-knife-compliance-certification-v2pt9.pdf). If you wish to proceed with purchasing this item, please submit this completed form to us and we may proceed with your order. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2023

In Dec 2022 I made an order in the amount of $234.xx and they kept my money and never sent my items... Called and they deny that they kept my money, yet it's gone from my card, called again. The rep swore she would email a record of my transaction but still I got nothing.

OpticsPlanet.com response

Greetings Henry! I want to look into this situation further for you, but unfortunately, your review does not include an order number for me to locate your order in our system. Please provide us with additional information so that we may investigate these claims further. As soon as we have enough details to look into your order, we will attempt to offer a resolution as quickly as possible. We look forward to hearing from you again soon. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2022

Bought telescope and one of parts (Laser Pointer) was broken when I received the product. Notified company via email support. Was told to do an RMA. I asked if they wanted the whole package back or just the broken part to replace. Response I received stated... "Thank you for contacting us about your order! Yes sir, you can, since it respect the delay of return." which makes no sense. I packed up everything and the RMA required me to pay for return shipping. I sent a note to their support stating since the product arrived broken I was not paying for the shipping to return it.

The response I got was "Okay. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us again." By no way was this response correcting my issue with having to pay for shipping nor any direction on next steps. I then reached out to my credit card company to dispute this charge as the company was not making this process simple. Now OpticsPlanet says they will not send a pre-paid return shipping label until I remove the chargeback/dispute from my credit card company. I will not be held hostage by a business that operates in this manner.

OpticsPlanet.com response

Greetings Alex! We sincerely apologize for the confusion caused on our end and have addressed it with our team. I have reviewed your order in our system, and see that you have been in communication with our Customer Care team regarding arranging pick up of your item from UPS to begin the return process. We, again, are truly sorry for this negative customer experience, as that was never our intention. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with during this process.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2022

I purchased Ammo from Optics Planet. Specially 1000 rounds of 7.62x36 Wolf 124 grain FMJ for under $300.00 two years ago. It was placed on backorder when I bought it then the expected delivery date started changing. For two years I watched the expected delivery date get moved out every few weeks. I called twice, I let them know they sold the ammo on the site just in smaller quantities and to put the quantities together to fill my order… Nonono they wouldn’t do that because it would be way more than $300.00 dollars. Companies should have to honor their order or offer something similar at the same price. I hope this place gets shut down. Don’t shop there.

OpticsPlanet.com response

Greetings Taylor! We truly apologize for this negative customer experience. We do our best to update the ETA when we get new information from our suppliers, but that can also mean the date may change frequently if we cannot confirm a date from our supplier. We always offer alternative/replacement options when available, but I, unfortunately, do not see any call logs for this order showing that this was discussed. Please contact our Customer Care team so that we may assist you further. Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2022

I have ordered multiple items from Optics Planet. One today, one last month and so on. During each purchase their online site showed the item “available” while in the cart and during checkout. I’m even given the option for 3-5 business day shipping which I chose. The past few orders I received an email receipt showing the estimated ship time to be 3-4 weeks out. I call to ask WTH? And their customer service tells me it’s just a “glitch” in their system. I have cancelled my past 2 orders and have stopped using them as of today. This company is flat out lying to its customers and would rather obtain as many orders as possible and disappoint their customer’s rather than fix a supposed “glitch”.

OpticsPlanet.com response

Greetings J! We want to look into this for you, but do not have enough information from your review to locate your orders. Please note that the product's availability is listed to the right of the "Add to Cart" button. If in stock, it will say, "Expected to ship within 1-2 business days". If out of stock or shipping from a sister warehouse, it will show the estimated timeframe for shipping. We hope to hear from you again soon so that we may investigate this situation further. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2022

Order placed for an in-stock item which was packed and shipped within 3 days. That is the extent of the any positive experience. The item shows enroute and has for almost 10 days now. The shipper (DHL) details indicate that they are waiting for the package, however Optics planet said they gave it to DHL. I have contacted customer service 3 times, and each time I am told to wait until "x" date and if there is no movement contact them again. They seem to be just kicking the can down the road and no one seems to be able to provide an update. The couple of bucks you might save + bonus bucks might seem appealing but when all is said and done I don't think it's worth the hassle. In hind sight, I wish I would have read the reviews before placing any order. My first and last with these folks.

OpticsPlanet.com response

Greetings Tom! We truly apologize for the delay in receiving your order. Unfortunately, I do not have enough information from your review to locate your order in our system. However, often time, the tracking information stalls simply due to the carrier failing to scan the package. It is not uncommon for tracking information to update once the package has been scanned again upon arrival at the next location. Please contact our Customer Care team for any additional questions or updates. Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

The worst and most disrespectful company! I made a purchase recently and when choosing the payment method I opted for Paypal. That done, I received a confirmation email from Paypal saying that the product would be delivered to my old address in Miami. Excuse me?? I made the purchase at Optics which has my current address in Utah. When contacting Optics to complain about this, I heard the following nonsense "from the moment the payment was made via Paypal you have to talk to Paypal". What?? Paypal should only be a payment method, right? As far as is clear, no!?

Optics has no respect for the customer and has dodged the case. So I contacted Paypal who replied, "we don't manage this as we are just a transaction company etc". What??? Conclusion: one pushes the problem to the other! And there's more: I paid almost $60 more for express delivery, as I was traveling to Brazil and therefore it would be essential to receive the product in a maximum of 3 days. Guess what? In addition to having sent it to the wrong address, this delivery arrived with a delay of more than 3 days. Anyway, they are all irresponsible and do not respect the customer!

OpticsPlanet.com response

Greetings Paulo! We are sorry for this situation, but as explained previously, PayPal policy must be followed. If PayPal is your method of payment, we must ship to the address on the PayPal account. You can read about PayPal's policy here: https://www.paypal.com/us/brc/article/seller-protection. I also see that we refunded you $59.95 on 12/7 to cover the shipping cost, as the carrier, unfortunately, did not deliver it within the promised time. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2022

Twice I tried to order from Crap Optics in the past month. The first time I tried to order a knife and had to be verified law enforcement or military, and was denied in both categories, even though I am still active and even sent them a pic of my badge and license. In the end.... Ebay got my business. This month I ordered a threaded barrel using Tactical Store.com. I didn't know it was the same place until I called in to cancel my order after being postpone twice. Save yourself the headache, and money. Trust me. You will also save money by using another vendor or company.

OpticsPlanet.com response

Greetings Don! We apologize for this inconvenience. For order 23082228, the military identification we received from you expired in 2014. Information regarding laws and regulations for knife purchases can be found at https://op1.0ps.us/pdf/opplanet-knife-compliance-certification-v2pt9.pdf. For order 23328039, the item was not in stock, and the availability provided was, "Extended backorder - unknown ETA". Please contact our Customer Care team if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

OpticsPlanet.com Company Information