OpticsPlanet.com Reviews

About OpticsPlanet.com

OpticsPlanet is an online solution for shoppers in the market for outdoor and tactical gear. The company offers free shipping on orders of more than $49 to anywhere in the contiguous United States. OpticsPlanet’s collection is selected and organized by its employees and features customized hunting and tactical products.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Free shipping and returns
  • Rewards program
  • Military and health worker discounts
Cons
  • Doesn’t ship to all states
  • Some items restricted by law

Featured Reviews

Verified
Oakdale, PA

… I have had only excellent experiences with this company multiple times. Ordering was easy. Everything arrived exactly what I expected. In the event that there was a back order t...

Verified
Albuquerque, NM

… can't say I've ever had a bad experience with OpticsPlanet and I've been buying from them for years. It's been stress free for me… I also emailed tech questions and always hear ...

What is OpticsPlanet?

OpticsPlanet is an online merchant specializing in outdoor, tactical, hunting and shooting accessories. The company sells more than 400,000 staff-selected products by popular brands like Bushnell, Streamlight, Trijicon, Barska and Celestron. Its OPMOD series includes customized hunting and tactical gear specifically designed to meet the needs of hunters and marksmen.

OpticsPlanet sells gear in 581 categories, including sport optics, outdoor and survival, apparel and footwear, eyewear, military and tactical, and sports and hobbies. It offers a large selection of law enforcement equipment, including professional-grade police, fire and EMS gear. The site also features scientific and lab supplies and a wide array of cameras and photography tools. Check out its gift guides for suggestions from product experts on staff.

How to shop for OpticsPlanet products

Customers can shop the OpticsPlanet website by brand, item, price, rating, color, fabric/material, gun type (for accessories) and deals. Sign up for an account to earn rewards. OpticsPlanet offers more than 250,000 items eligible for free shipping and returns to the 48 contiguous U.S. states and military APO/FPO/DPO addresses. Some items include free two-day shipping.

All doctors, nurses, technicians, medical researchers, EMTs, firefighters, law enforcement, active-duty military and veterans are eligible for discounts — call the exclusive hotline number listed on the website to apply your discount.

OpticsPlanet costs

The site has a deals category that lists all current promotions and coupons, and prices vary greatly to help shoppers find gear that fits their budget. For example, its prices on binoculars range from $50 to $5,000.

It’s free to sign up for OpticsPlanet Bucks to earn and redeem rewards for your purchases. Shipping is free on orders over $49 (most items are eligible). All returns are free.

OpticsPlanet FAQ

Where is OpticsPlanet located?

OpticsPlanet is an online retailer located just outside of Chicago, Illinois.

Where does OpticsPlanet ship from?

The OpticsPlanet distribution center is in Illinois. Most items are shipped from the Illinois warehouse.

What are OpticsPlanet Bucks?

OpticsPlanets Bucks are rewards redeemable toward purchases. You can register for a free account to earn them as you shop.

Does OpticsPlanet ship to California?

OpticsPlanet ships most items to California, excluding ammunition.

Is OpticsPlanet legit?

Yes. If you’re a hobbyist or a professional looking for tactical gear, you’ll find a huge selection of brands and products at OpticsPlanet. Most items are in stock and ready to ship from the Illinois-based warehouse. On-staff experts offer knowledge and advice to assist you, and free returns help you shop without worry. Be aware that some items are restricted to authorized users only, and the company sometimes requires documentation for a purchase.

OpticsPlanet.com Reviews

Stars Rating

• 8%
  • 0%
  • 0%
  • 3%
  • 88%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OpticsPlanet.com?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OpticsPlanet.com?
    PricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed May 30, 2024

I don't really understand the negative reviews here. I have placed several orders from OpticsPlanet without issue. I just received my most recent order today. I used the cheap free shipping so it took about 6 days to go halfway across the country. It was sent to me the morning after I paced my order.

They have great prices and ship quality products quickly. I highly recommend OpticsPlanet, I myself will be placing more orders in the future. Very satisfied with these folks, they're great to deal with.

Pinned

We want to sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We always strive to deliver quality products to our valued customers and are happy to hear of your positive shopping experiences with us. Your kind words and continued support are truly appreciated. Thanks again!

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed May 19, 2024

Imagine an order from the worst possible supplier in China, shipping to the USA. Well, that's what it is like doing business with Optics Planet. They're slow. They don't care. And you'd better not ask them about it. If you get tired of waiting and want a refund, they'll be happy to refund your money 21 days after the request. OpticsPlanet: Recipient of the "We Couldn't Care Less Award" every year since their inception in 2000.

Pinned

We are truly sorry to hear that you have not had a positive customer experience with us, as that is certainly never our intention. We want to properly address your concerns as quickly as possible, but need additional details to locate your order history in our system. At your earliest convenience, please contact our Customer Care team to provide more information so that we can discuss any issues that you have had with your order(s). We hope to hear from you again soon. Thank you!

Get buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed May 19, 2024

It's unreal how there are currently over 250 reviews of OpticsPlanet and 95% of them are negative. Even worse, the amount of gaslighting from optics planet. It's bizarre how on all 95% of 1 star reviews, optics planet replies to the unsatisfied customer as if the customer is in the wrong. What a dreadfully horrible company optics planet is. I ordered my handrail on the 13th of May, 2024. It's now the 19th of May. The tracking still says "shipping label created, waiting for package to be picked up". I will be calling my bank to have this purchase removed, and when they see the 95% of reviews are 1 star, they will see why.

Pinned

We are very sorry to hear about the lack of tracking updates from the carrier for your shipment. We want to investigate this for you right away, but need more information to help us locate your order. Whenever you have a moment, please contact our Customer Care team to provide additional details, such as an order number, so that we can look into this further. We hope to hear from you again soon so that we can properly address your concerns. Thank you!

Reviewed April 6, 2024

I purchased 2 Holosun 510 and an Eotech hws and all three took a long time to ship. I ordered a Trijicon ACOG. They updated to out of stock so I had to cancel my order. Finally, the last straw was a predator plate, carrier and plates that were lost and still have not got my money back. Ordered 5 weeks ago and shipped a month ago.

Pinned

We are truly sorry for any confusion caused. An item's availability can be found on the product page of our website near the Add to Cart button. If in stock, it will say “In stock” or "Expected to ship within 1-2 business days". If out of stock or shipping from a sister warehouse, it will show the estimated timeframe for shipping. A refund has been issued for the package that, unfortunately, was lost in transit. We sincerely apologize for that inconvenience, and we thank you for your patience.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed March 1, 2024

Just like other reviewers, my order tracking still says "Label Created" after 2 whole days! They usually make the excuse that expedited shipping is the best way to get your order fast. Well, it's BEEN TWO DAYS, with expedited shipping, and it STILL SAYS "LABEL CREATED". So I'm guessing from the nearly thousand other reviews that I've seen that their so called "2 day expedited shipping" means it spends a few weeks in their so called "warehouse" before spending two days each with DHL and USPS. Either hand it off to USPS or give me my money back.

I'm doing a build for a fellow veteran's anniversary, and it's time sensitive. I've tried making contact multiple times, twice I've received different excuses from extremely rude and aggressive staff, and the other 3 times I was blew off. I've shown these reviews to a friend with the FBI who works in the local federal courthouse, he told me that I never should have ordered from them as they are currently being investigated for fraud and racketeering, and have a lot of shady connections with companies that are known scammers in India and Africa. I want this settled by my seeing that USPS has my package and it's coming to the proper address when I wake up in the morning.

Do not order from them, they only fulfill around 50% of their orders to maintain the appearance of being legitimate. So in conclusion, either hand it over tomorrow to USPS with the proper address and with the shipping rate that was charged to my card, or I will add myself to the rather large list of those that the FBI will call upon to testify. I've served my country for 22 years, and I'll not see people be taken advantage of.

Pinned

We apologize for any misunderstanding. If timing is critical, we do offer One-Day and Two-Day Shipping options. With Expedited Shipping, the advertised time in transit is 3 business days. To view this information and more, please see our Shipping Policy (https://www.opticsplanet.com/free-shipping.html). We show that your order arrived on the 3rd business day in transit. We hope that this has cleared up any confusion on your end. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

Reviewed Feb. 13, 2024

I guess you get what you pay for with free shipping. OpticsPlanet utilizes small delivery companies that jockey your package from one carrier to the next. My carrier changes 3 times and the delivery date 5. Good luck!

Pinned

We apologize for any misunderstanding. With our free, Value Shipping, the advertised time in transit is 5-10 business days. We show that your order shipped on 2/9/2024 and was delivered on 2/15/2024, after just 4 business days in transit. Your package was also handled exclusively by the carrier Pandion. We apologize if the tracking updates on their website did not meet your expectations. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know. Thank you!

Contract & Terms

Reviewed Feb. 10, 2024

Ordered a scope and mount, $1900 on 1/27/2024, immediately charged for order, supposedly shipped 1/29 out of Batavia Illinois, supposedly transferred to USPS 1/30 in Forrest Park Illinois. USPS found no evidence in their investigation that the package was ever given to them. Pandion handled the package from Optics Planet, their investigation determined the package had been lost on 2/8.

On 2/9 the package mysteriously appears in Easton Maryland. I am located in West Virginia, those logistics don't make sense. Package has not moved since appearing in Maryland, if I didn't know any better, I would think they have some kind of mail fraud going on, in addition to breech of contract by not fulfilling paid orders to customers.

If I ever do get what I ordered, which I am doubtful, I will be performing a return without opening the scope or mount, which will then likely lead to me waiting months to get my money back if I am lucky. I have already filed a Consumer Complaint with my State Attorney General, and would advise anyone else who is dealing with similar issues with this company to do the same thing. Stop shopping with them, file complaints with your State AG. If you have not received your order, file a dispute with your bank or financial company, and make sure to take detailed notes and records of all interactions with the company, shipping carriers, etc.

Pinned

We apologize for any confusion caused. Oftentimes, a simple mis-scan by the carrier while in transit causes a lack of tracking updates. With our free, Value Shipping, the advertised time in transit is 5-14 business days. Your order was delivered on 2/12/2024, within our promised timeframe. If timing is critical, we do offer One-Day, Two-Day, Expedited, and Standard Shipping options (please see https://www.opticsplanet.com/free-shipping.html). We hope this information has been helpful. Thank you!

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Feb. 1, 2024

Ordered Jan 21st. Package was “out for delivery” Fri jan 26th. Sat Jan 27th usps updated and said there was a delay and expect next business day. Mon Jan 29th came and went. Emailed CS and was given the brush off. Delays, sorry for confusion, blah blah blah. Come back in 5 days. Replied and got no answer until tues Jan 30th with another brush off to now come back in 15 days if I haven’t received it. I decided now to call and speak with someone. First attempt I got disconnected so I called back and waited on hold again. That rep repeated the same garbage and told me there was nothing that could be done and I had to wait it out. Refused to contact USPS. So now here I am no item, out $135, and no help from them. This wasn’t my first purchase with them but it will for sure be my last. Side note USPS isn’t much help either. Their site is terrible and keeps giving submit errors when filing a claim.

Pinned

We are truly sorry for the delivery delay with your order. Please note that we cannot file a claim with the carrier until there have been 15 consecutive business days of no movement on their tracker. Oftentimes, the lack of updates is a result of a simple mis-scan while in transit. If your package doesn't arrive by 2/16, please let us know, as you will have the choice of a refund or re-ship of your order. Please contact our Customer Care team with any additional questions or concerns. Thank you!

Customer Service

Reviewed Jan. 20, 2024

I bought a red dot with a magnifier for my rifle on 01/16/2024. I received the item today the 19th of January and installed it on my rifle. The red dot fits perfectly but the magnifier is wobbly and does not stay snug. I tried several times to mount it in case I missed something the first time but I kept getting the same result. I called Optic Planet and spoke to Emily who relayed to me that due to the fact that the item was mounted, they would not do an exchange. I advised her that there was no way for me to know how the item would fit unless I mount it. She told me to call the manufacturer Sig Sauer for troubleshooting.

I didn't buy this from Sig. I bought it from Optics Planet. All I waned was a product that worked as advertised. No more, no less but with these guys apparently you can not get that. This was my first and last time ordering from them. After this I looked the company up in detail and discovered that they have a terrible reputation with customer service including with the BBB. It is a shame but these are some bad business practices. And now I am $400.00 out. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.

Pinned

We genuinely regret to hear of your unpleasant shopping experience with us. We encourage contacting the manufacturer as they are most experienced with troubleshooting their products. Our gear experts are available to help, but since the item has been mounted, we, unfortunately, cannot accept an exchange or return. This information and more can be found on our return policy (https://www.opticsplanet.com/return-policy.). To reach Sig Sauer, please visit https://www.sigsauer.com/contact. Thank you!

Customer Service

Reviewed Jan. 6, 2024

This company mailed my package to the wrong address. I have reached out by phone multiple times, email multiple times and they do not respond. I went back and confirmed my actual mailing address and don’t know how they have the address it was sent to. No communication from them at all.

Pinned

We want to investigate this for you right away, but need more information to locate your order. Please call us at 1-847-513-6201 (toll-free: 1-800-504-5897) weekdays between 9:00am-7:00pm Central. You may also Live Chat or email us (https://www.opticsplanet.com/help-center/). Our hours of operation for Live Chat and email matches our phone hours, but also include Saturdays and Sundays between 9:00am-5:00pm Central. We hope to hear from you again soon so that we may assist you further. Thank you.

OpticsPlanet.com Company Information