3.2/5 (384 ratings)

About OpticsPlanet.com

OpticsPlanet is an online solution for shoppers in the market for outdoor and tactical gear. The company offers free shipping on orders of more than $49 to anywhere in the contiguous United States. OpticsPlanet’s collection is selected and organized by its employees and features customized hunting and tactical products.

Pros

• Free shipping and returns
  • Rewards program
  • Military and health worker discounts

Cons

• Doesn’t ship to all states
  • Some items restricted by law

Bottom Line

OpticsPlanet offers a comprehensive selection of outdoor and tactical gear for professionals and hobbyists. It provides free shipping within the contiguous U.S. for orders over $49.

Top OpticsPlanet.com Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… I have had only excellent experiences with this company multiple times. Ordering was easy. Everything arrived exactly what I expected. In the event that there was a back order t...

Verified

… can't say I've ever had a bad experience with OpticsPlanet and I've been buying from them for years. It's been stress free for me… I also emailed tech questions and always hear ...

What is OpticsPlanet?

OpticsPlanet is an online merchant specializing in outdoor, tactical, hunting and shooting accessories. The company sells more than 400,000 staff-selected products by popular brands like Bushnell, Streamlight, Trijicon, Barska and Celestron. Its OPMOD series includes customized hunting and tactical gear specifically designed to meet the needs of hunters and marksmen.

OpticsPlanet sells gear in 581 categories, including sport optics, outdoor and survival, apparel and footwear, eyewear, military and tactical, and sports and hobbies. It offers a large selection of law enforcement equipment, including professional-grade police, fire and EMS gear. The site also features scientific and lab supplies and a wide array of cameras and photography tools. Check out its gift guides for suggestions from product experts on staff.

How to shop for OpticsPlanet products

Customers can shop the OpticsPlanet website by brand, item, price, rating, color, fabric/material, gun type (for accessories) and deals. Sign up for an account to earn rewards. OpticsPlanet offers more than 250,000 items eligible for free shipping and returns to the 48 contiguous U.S. states and military APO/FPO/DPO addresses. Some items include free two-day shipping.

All doctors, nurses, technicians, medical researchers, EMTs, firefighters, law enforcement, active-duty military and veterans are eligible for discounts — call the exclusive hotline number listed on the website to apply your discount.

OpticsPlanet costs

The site has a deals category that lists all current promotions and coupons, and prices vary greatly to help shoppers find gear that fits their budget. For example, its prices on binoculars range from $50 to $5,000.

It’s free to sign up for OpticsPlanet Bucks to earn and redeem rewards for your purchases. Shipping is free on orders over $49 (most items are eligible). All returns are free.

OpticsPlanet FAQ

Where is OpticsPlanet located?
OpticsPlanet is an online retailer located just outside of Chicago, Illinois.
Where does OpticsPlanet ship from?
The OpticsPlanet distribution center is in Illinois. Most items are shipped from the Illinois warehouse.
What are OpticsPlanet Bucks?
OpticsPlanets Bucks are rewards redeemable toward purchases. You can register for a free account to earn them as you shop.
Does OpticsPlanet ship to California?
OpticsPlanet ships most items to California, excluding ammunition.

Is OpticsPlanet legit?

Yes. If you’re a hobbyist or a professional looking for tactical gear, you’ll find a huge selection of brands and products at OpticsPlanet. Most items are in stock and ready to ship from the Illinois-based warehouse. On-staff experts offer knowledge and advice to assist you, and free returns help you shop without worry. Be aware that some items are restricted to authorized users only, and the company sometimes requires documentation for a purchase.

OpticsPlanet.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OpticsPlanet.com?

Original review: May 25, 2021

I've ordered from Optics over the years and always have had problems with getting my orders on time. They always take so long. My recent order was actually on time. I was very surprised. I'm not sure what they are doing but I hope they continue to keep the service level. I'll be making another order soon just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Great job Optics!

OpticsPlanet.com response

Greetings Jose! We appreciate the feedback and we are constantly looking to improve our services. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. Have a nice day!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

Optics planet has been great so far, Great selection and information on items! All good except trying to contact customer service! I’ve ordered several parts, some have wait times of a few months, and I would like some information! I’ve Been trying for days to reach someone through phone, email, message, with no luck at all. I may miss out on 100’s of dollars worth of optics planet bucks because of this!

Get buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

I ordered my magpul ms4 sling on a Monday and received it the following Saturday. They sent order confirmation within an hour or so and a tracking number the next day. The package was boxed professionally with bubble wrap and a coupon for future order. Product was as expected and in perfect condition. I have read a lot of bad reviews about this company after I made the order and was worried, but as far as my experience goes I have no problem using them again if needed.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I’ve ordered several items from Optics Planet in the past 4 months and again on 7/29/20 and it’s already shipped out on 7/31/20. I’ve read a lot of bad review about them not shipping timely but they had 9 left in stock when I ordered and everything went smooth. Granted I pay for the step above free shipping which every website I’ve used and tried shipping the value way takes forever these days so don’t mind spending extra for the peace of mind. Unless something changes Seems as good experience as any. Not sure if all the bad reviews is from non online shopping people or just grumpy people in general.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

UPDATED 08/15/2020: Optics planet held up to their word and commitment even through delays.. wrote a previous review where I was worried but no more! Awesome OpticsPlanet.com. My unit came earlier than stated so place another order!

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I wish I would have researched this site before I purchased @ OpticsPlanet. I just ordered a sight with shipping 5-10 business days however I have noticed that within the last 24hrs of order they have not shipped. This item should be stocked so I am worried. I see that they are not taking phone calls and not responding to emails.. Worried since a couple hundreds $ for equipment in these days is hard to part.. I hope Optics Planet is watching these reviews since on Youtube I have not heard any bad things about optics planet but have a feeling this will changed based on these responses.. I am giving them a 5 start still but if they do not hold up to their commitment I will be back with another review and change of stars...

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 6, 2021

See all the posts below with ONE star and all the empty apologies from OP. I have spent thousands of dollars at this place. They have horrendous customer care. I have received opened mfg packaging and used products. They do not respond to phone calls. Optics Planet will not return voicemails. They do not have a storefront at the address listed on their site either (I know because I drove down there and was rudely told to leave by a general contract security guard). Optics Planet will not expedite orders nor try to expedite orders they committed errors on. If you live near their Aurora, IL shipping warehouse still anticipate a two week shipping period.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are sorry to hear that you have not had a positive customer experience with us. We currently do not have a physical store that can accommodate order transactions. Our warehouse and offices are not equipped to assist customers about order issues. Please contact our customer care team through phone, chat or email and we will be more than happy to help you. Inquiries are answered in the order that they are received to give fair attention to all customers.

Original review: July 5, 2021

Optics Planet's price gouging on ammo has turned me to other options on my ammo needs. They use to have reasonable prices on ammo and now that there is a shortage, they have raised their prices dramatically. A once $25 box of ammo is $40- $50 dollars. Walmart and Sportmans guide don’t have ammo available as often but when they do, the prices are the same as they were before the shortage.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We apologize for the inconvenience. We try our best to provide the best possible pricing on the products that we offer. Our prices are affected by the cost passed on to us by our suppliers, market fluctuations and other factors that are beyond our control. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Customer Care team and we will be more than happy to assist you. Have a great day!

Original review: June 23, 2021

Ordered a sleeping bag for my son's birthday on 6/7/21 and as of 6/22/21 still have not received it nor been notified that it has been shipped. We live in Wisconsin just a couple hours north from their warehouse so it should have been a quick shipment. Never order from them again.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are so sorry for the less than ideal experience you've had with us. We tried to ship your item from the manufacturer, however, it turns out that they no longer have stocks for your order. We will continue to hold this order open until the merchandise is ready for shipment and issue tracking once shipped. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. Please do not hesitate to contact our customer care team with any further questions or concerns. Have a great day!

Original review: June 11, 2021

I have been waiting over a year for my order. They periodically notify me it will be 2 or 3 more months. I have asked them to substitute similar ammunition. They never respond but their website shows they get new stock in yet they won't send it. Impossible to get a response out of these people. Had it not been for their ** I could've gotten the merchandise from someone else months earlier. Don't waste your time trying to order from them. Wish I had looked at their reviews earlier. Oh, they also constantly flood your e-mail with spam.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are sorry for the delay on your order. We truly value you as our customer and want to do everything we can to restore your confidence in us. Unfortunately, I do not see any order details on your review, so I could not check this and see what I can do to get this resolved for you. Please reach out to our Customer Care team through phone, email, or live chat, and we will be more than happy to review your order and help out in the best way we can.

Original review: June 10, 2021

I placed an order for 9mm ammo in November 2020 knowing that it would be a while before delivery. Received an email stating the ammo would be delivered in March 2021. Every month I receive an update pushing the delivery back with the most recent "expected" delivery now in September. I have called several times and even waited on the phone for 75 minutes to talk to a supervisor to no avail. My main complaint is the fact that they are selling 9mm ammo on their website at a higher price then I contracted for but they still show my item "out of stock". I would not recommend this company to anyone.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are sorry for the delay with your order. We fill orders on a first-come, first-serve basis. Currently, there is a high demand for ammo, but there is a limited supply coming in. The specific ammo on your order is still on backorder. If you are looking to get a replacement option, please contact our customer care team over the phone, chat, or email to be assisted. Have a great day!

OpticsPlanet.com Company Information