Shop Now
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.41/5

OpticsPlanet is an online solution for shoppers in the market for outdoor and tactical gear. The company offers free shipping on orders of more than $49 to anywhere in the contiguous United States. OpticsPlanet’s collection is selected and organized by its employees and features customized hunting and tactical products.

BOTTOM LINE

OpticsPlanet offers a comprehensive selection of outdoor and tactical gear for professionals and hobbyists. It provides free shipping within the contiguous U.S. for orders over $49.

PROS

• Free shipping and returns
  • Rewards program
  • Military and health worker discounts

CONS

• Doesn’t ship to all states
  • Some items restricted by law

Top OpticsPlanet.com Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OpticsPlanet.com?

… I have had only excellent experiences with this company multiple times. Ordering was easy. Everything arrived exactly what I expected. In the event that there was a back order they informed me and I received them in a reasonable time. I will continue to do business with them.

… can't say I've ever had a bad experience with OpticsPlanet and I've been buying from them for years. It's been stress free for me… I also emailed tech questions and always hear back by the next day… certainly say they've provided me superior service over the years and I appreciate their no BS retu

OpticsPlanet.com Shop Now

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

What is OpticsPlanet?

OpticsPlanet is an online merchant specializing in outdoor, tactical, hunting and shooting accessories. The company sells more than 400,000 staff-selected products by popular brands like Bushnell, Streamlight, Trijicon, Barska and Celestron. Its OPMOD series includes customized hunting and tactical gear specifically designed to meet the needs of hunters and marksmen.

OpticsPlanet sells gear in 581 categories, including sport optics, outdoor and survival, apparel and footwear, eyewear, military and tactical, and sports and hobbies. It offers a large selection of law enforcement equipment, including professional-grade police, fire and EMS gear. The site also features scientific and lab supplies and a wide array of cameras and photography tools. Check out its gift guides for suggestions from product experts on staff.

How to shop for OpticsPlanet products

Customers can shop the OpticsPlanet website by brand, item, price, rating, color, fabric/material, gun type (for accessories) and deals. Sign up for an account to earn rewards. OpticsPlanet offers more than 250,000 items eligible for free shipping and returns to the 48 contiguous U.S. states and military APO/FPO/DPO addresses. Some items include free two-day shipping.

All doctors, nurses, technicians, medical researchers, EMTs, firefighters, law enforcement, active-duty military and veterans are eligible for discounts — call the exclusive hotline number listed on the website to apply your discount.

OpticsPlanet costs

The site has a deals category that lists all current promotions and coupons, and prices vary greatly to help shoppers find gear that fits their budget. For example, its prices on binoculars range from $50 to $5,000.

It’s free to sign up for OpticsPlanet Bucks to earn and redeem rewards for your purchases. Shipping is free on orders over $49 (most items are eligible). All returns are free.

OpticsPlanet FAQ

Where is OpticsPlanet located?
OpticsPlanet is an online retailer located just outside of Chicago, Illinois.
Where does OpticsPlanet ship from?
The OpticsPlanet distribution center is in Illinois. Most items are shipped from the Illinois warehouse.
What are OpticsPlanet Bucks?
OpticsPlanets Bucks are rewards redeemable toward purchases. You can register for a free account to earn them as you shop.
Does OpticsPlanet ship to California?
OpticsPlanet ships most items to California, excluding ammunition.

Is OpticsPlanet legit?

Yes. If you’re a hobbyist or a professional looking for tactical gear, you’ll find a huge selection of brands and products at OpticsPlanet. Most items are in stock and ready to ship from the Illinois-based warehouse. On-staff experts offer knowledge and advice to assist you, and free returns help you shop without worry. Be aware that some items are restricted to authorized users only, and the company sometimes requires documentation for a purchase.

OpticsPlanet.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OpticsPlanet.com?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

I ordered my magpul ms4 sling on a Monday and received it the following Saturday. They sent order confirmation within an hour or so and a tracking number the next day. The package was boxed professionally with bubble wrap and a coupon for future order. Product was as expected and in perfect condition. I have read a lot of bad reviews about this company after I made the order and was worried, but as far as my experience goes I have no problem using them again if needed.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I’ve ordered several items from Optics Planet in the past 4 months and again on 7/29/20 and it’s already shipped out on 7/31/20. I’ve read a lot of bad review about them not shipping timely but they had 9 left in stock when I ordered and everything went smooth. Granted I pay for the step above free shipping which every website I’ve used and tried shipping the value way takes forever these days so don’t mind spending extra for the peace of mind. Unless something changes Seems as good experience as any. Not sure if all the bad reviews is from non online shopping people or just grumpy people in general.

Get buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

UPDATED 08/15/2020: Optics planet held up to their word and commitment even through delays.. wrote a previous review where I was worried but no more! Awesome OpticsPlanet.com. My unit came earlier than stated so place another order!

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I wish I would have researched this site before I purchased @ OpticsPlanet. I just ordered a sight with shipping 5-10 business days however I have noticed that within the last 24hrs of order they have not shipped. This item should be stocked so I am worried. I see that they are not taking phone calls and not responding to emails.. Worried since a couple hundreds $ for equipment in these days is hard to part.. I hope Optics Planet is watching these reviews since on Youtube I have not heard any bad things about optics planet but have a feeling this will changed based on these responses.. I am giving them a 5 start still but if they do not hold up to their commitment I will be back with another review and change of stars...

Original review: April 8, 2020

First off, I am not affiliated with OpticsPlanet in ANY way, aside from recently being a first time customer. Though after stumbling upon these recent, ridiculous reviews, I felt compelled to write one myself. In my experience, my order was a rather smooth process. All items were shipped in a timely manner and arrived on time. One product I received I opted to return, and getting an R.M.A. was a simple process. I opted for store credit and easily printed out a shipping label that they provided for free for ground shipping through UPS.

The only reason I stumbled across this thread was because I returned a product that did not meet my personal expectations, and because I checked out as a guest, and did not create a user account until after I got my products, I was interested in how they would provide the store credit. With that being said, here is my personal response to these utterly unacceptable reviews I read...

1) It CLEARLY states on O.P.'s website that due to COVID-19 they are experiencing delays in fulfilling orders and the shipping process. If you did not read this, or understand what is going on in America, then shame on YOU!

2) I would have to imagine that product availability is on a first come, first serve basis. Many products are in high demand due to this pandemic. Thus, if there are 10 people that ordered the same product that they only have 10 in stock, and you are the 11th customer in line, the product would no longer be in stock by the time they got to to your order. Not THEIR FAULT. Good grief.

3) Understandably people are stressed due to COVID -19, and are attempting to acquire products to keep their families safe and sound. Many local stores are out of stock and people are relying on online stores to fulfill their needs. However, attempting to dismantle a company's reputation due to people's addiction and desire to "instant gratification" is unfair and unjust. Emotional attachment, and being illogical are no reasons to give a one star review based on things that are out of the control of a business. Many businesses are struggling now due to this pandemic, and many will not make it through this financial crisis and it will leave many people in the workforce out of jobs. Just be thankful that places like O.P. is still open for business and doing what they can to keep products rolling off their shelves and getting them into the hands of their customers.

I felt someone aside from the people at O.P. needed to speak out on behalf of them. Many people today just play the victim when things don't go the way they want and will do anything to lash out and act like they are justified in their irrational actions. NO ONE owes you ANYTHING in life, and playing the victim will only further your own self worth into frustrating despair and just makes you weak. "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." - Soren Kierkegaard. Just my two cents... Take it or leave it. Doesn't bother me one bit...

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

To start with, I've read some reviews about Optics Planet/Campsaver prior buying from them and, truth be told, I was a little bit worried when I made my purchase, because most of the reviews were negative, but there were some positive feedbacks as well, so they (and the lowest price in the market) convinced me to make purchase. Maybe I got lucky, but I've got exactly what I expected and even more (I also got some bonuses for my next purchase). I've received new and original boots which were much cheaper than even on the manufacturer's website. My main concern was that the boots I've ordered could be fake ones/damaged or something like that, but they weren't. They came in original packaging, with all the labels and they are 100% originals! And I'm so happy to have them.

All in all, I'm not sure why there are so many negative reviews. Perhaps OpticsPlanet, indeed, have a lot that they need to work on. And I guess they have to pay attention on the reviews. But for the sake of justice I just wanted to share my experience with you. Hope it helps! Nevertheless, based on the negative feedbacks, I suggest you to be vigilant and ask managers as many questions as you need about the product you want prior buying from here, just to be on the safe side. And yeah! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

OpticsPlanet is the worse for shipping. They give you one excuse after another. They don’t tell you if an item is not in stock, but will take your money. I recently purchased one item and after a couple of days of not getting a shipped notice I sent them an email asking what is the delay. They responded my order is being processed, and will ship soon. Later that day I received an message from them stating “Good news, we are now shipping within 1-3 days”! That was 5 days ago, and I still haven’t received a “Shipped” notice from them. Search around, you’ll find your item from another more reliable vendor.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

Ordered a telescope and a lens accessory in early October.. Telescope was listed as available in stock... Smaller part on backorder. Very specifically told on phone sales rep to not hold order... Ship separately... Small part shipped recently ...Larger one still says ordered... Yet site showed more items available on the telescope. 2 days later... Now weeks until available... More than 30 days.. No followup... Phone auto disconnects at 15 mins... Left 2 voicemails and emailed cust service...Price has significantly jumped on this product that I paid for... So cancelling and ordering elsewhere would cost me additional dollars and I've lost a month.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I ordered an AR pistol upper in June. After multiple requests of updated delivery times of my order I was only provided with information to the effect of “covid, supplier issues, we expect to get the item another month from original date we told you and finally, it will be another 2-3 months (middle of January)." I understand there is a large influx of orders and lack of supplies coming in due to Covid. The issue I have most is the complete lack of communication on the part of Optics Planet without first being contacted by the customer. There is no even remotely adequate way, as it appears, that they have of providing even the slightest bit of accuracy in delivery of the product ordered. The most accurate thing I have been told by your Optics Planet is that I still don’t have the product and won’t for a reliably indeterminate amount of time.

In the time that I cancelled my upper order through their company and the day that I inquired about a flip up sight I also ordered in June, I had already received an upper and build kit through another company. It took me 2.5 weeks to receive everything I ordered and that company’s response to inquiries was everything I had hoped for. Timely and accurate information. Thanks Optics Planet for the rear flip up I did receive and the knowledge that ordering from your company is less enjoyable than having my ruptured appendix removed.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

Ordered items 14 days ago. They posted delays up to 10 days. ltems listed as in stock are not. One item not in stock delayed the other items. Can't call customer service and email response is canned. Directs me to website that is worthless. Finally cancelled the item not in stock, still hasn't shipped.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are very sorry to hear you were unhappy with your recent shopping experience. Customer service is our number one priority. Unfortunately, some of our inventory does come from the manufacturer and extended back order times are expected on popular items. This being said the info you were provided with is all the info we obtained from the manufacturer at the time. We provide our customers with as much updated info we may receive from the manufacturer. We truly apologize for the inconvenience.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I placed an order on Oct 24th. Their site said they had 9 on hand, They took the money on the 26th, their site said they had 6 on hand. It took a couple days for their site to indicate they were out. When I placed the order, they said it would ship in 3-5 days. On the 3rd or 4th day they said it would be a few more days. This time has long passed and they don't answer the phone, don't allow voice mail, answer specific email questions with form emails that don't answer the email. The cancel order links put you in a closed loop with zero option to cancel. I jumped on live chat. They said I was in queue and I waited 10 minutes for my turn but.... no. No agent available. I am calling the card company to get my money back. SAVE YOURSELF SOME HASSLE... DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH OPTICS PLANET!!!

OpticsPlanet.com response

Hi Tom, can you provide your order number?

OpticsPlanet.com Company Information