3.1/5 (335 ratings)

About OpticsPlanet.com

OpticsPlanet is an online solution for shoppers in the market for outdoor and tactical gear. The company offers free shipping on orders of more than $49 to anywhere in the contiguous United States. OpticsPlanet’s collection is selected and organized by its employees and features customized hunting and tactical products.

Pros

• Free shipping and returns
  • Rewards program
  • Military and health worker discounts

Cons

• Doesn’t ship to all states
  • Some items restricted by law

Bottom Line

OpticsPlanet offers a comprehensive selection of outdoor and tactical gear for professionals and hobbyists. It provides free shipping within the contiguous U.S. for orders over $49.

Top OpticsPlanet.com Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… I have had only excellent experiences with this company multiple times. Ordering was easy. Everything arrived exactly what I expected. In the event that there was a back order t...

Verified

… can't say I've ever had a bad experience with OpticsPlanet and I've been buying from them for years. It's been stress free for me… I also emailed tech questions and always hear ...

What is OpticsPlanet?

OpticsPlanet is an online merchant specializing in outdoor, tactical, hunting and shooting accessories. The company sells more than 400,000 staff-selected products by popular brands like Bushnell, Streamlight, Trijicon, Barska and Celestron. Its OPMOD series includes customized hunting and tactical gear specifically designed to meet the needs of hunters and marksmen.

OpticsPlanet sells gear in 581 categories, including sport optics, outdoor and survival, apparel and footwear, eyewear, military and tactical, and sports and hobbies. It offers a large selection of law enforcement equipment, including professional-grade police, fire and EMS gear. The site also features scientific and lab supplies and a wide array of cameras and photography tools. Check out its gift guides for suggestions from product experts on staff.

How to shop for OpticsPlanet products

Customers can shop the OpticsPlanet website by brand, item, price, rating, color, fabric/material, gun type (for accessories) and deals. Sign up for an account to earn rewards. OpticsPlanet offers more than 250,000 items eligible for free shipping and returns to the 48 contiguous U.S. states and military APO/FPO/DPO addresses. Some items include free two-day shipping.

All doctors, nurses, technicians, medical researchers, EMTs, firefighters, law enforcement, active-duty military and veterans are eligible for discounts — call the exclusive hotline number listed on the website to apply your discount.

OpticsPlanet costs

The site has a deals category that lists all current promotions and coupons, and prices vary greatly to help shoppers find gear that fits their budget. For example, its prices on binoculars range from $50 to $5,000.

It’s free to sign up for OpticsPlanet Bucks to earn and redeem rewards for your purchases. Shipping is free on orders over $49 (most items are eligible). All returns are free.

OpticsPlanet FAQ

Where is OpticsPlanet located?
OpticsPlanet is an online retailer located just outside of Chicago, Illinois.
Where does OpticsPlanet ship from?
The OpticsPlanet distribution center is in Illinois. Most items are shipped from the Illinois warehouse.
What are OpticsPlanet Bucks?
OpticsPlanets Bucks are rewards redeemable toward purchases. You can register for a free account to earn them as you shop.
Does OpticsPlanet ship to California?
OpticsPlanet ships most items to California, excluding ammunition.

Is OpticsPlanet legit?

Yes. If you’re a hobbyist or a professional looking for tactical gear, you’ll find a huge selection of brands and products at OpticsPlanet. Most items are in stock and ready to ship from the Illinois-based warehouse. On-staff experts offer knowledge and advice to assist you, and free returns help you shop without worry. Be aware that some items are restricted to authorized users only, and the company sometimes requires documentation for a purchase.

OpticsPlanet.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OpticsPlanet.com?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Carmel ** employee of that company very unprofessional, rude and was worst experience ever when doing business. I don't recommend to anyone to deal with this person. I can't believe someone like that can work for company like this.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are so sorry for the less than ideal experience you've had with us. Please be assured that this is not a usual circumstance and we take this review seriously. We do not have enough information to trace this customer contact and address this issue. If possible, please send us a private message with your order information as well as your contact details. Thank you and have a great day!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

Love yourself, value your time and hard-earned money and do a favor to yourself and don’t make trade with Opticsplanet. That’s all I can say about such a scam.

My items were sold to me 5 month earlier than their policy change, didn’t ship the items because of “processing” and at last applied their new policy changes to the sold items to avoid shipping them. Terrible service.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We apologize for the less than ideal experience. OpticsPlanet makes its best effort to ensure that we remain current on all laws and regulations as applicable. Please be aware that United States federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations are complex and are subject to change. To discuss your order in further details, please reach out to our customer care team and we will be more than happy to assist you. Thank you and have a great day!

Get buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

Ordered a case of Winchester 124 grain NATO 9mm. It's supposed to come in an ammo box, but I'll never see it, so it really has little bearing on this review. So ordered last November when ammunition was still around, and at a high, but not outrageous price. At the time there was a several week ETA provided. Now, after 50 weeks of waiting I still have not received this order. I can log on and watch the ETA change every week, to find that it has always been moved forward... So, I know that the price of this ammo raised to double what was advertised last year, when I ordered in good faith.

I have contacted (another difficulty, to be sure) OP customer "care" to ask for a substitution to complete my order. They will, but only at current market (double) pricing. What a horrible way to treat a customer who has waited for a year for the order already. They will, no doubt cancel this order on me against my wishes, The only solution to this issue is for them to ship me what was agreed upon a year ago, at the price that was advertised.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We apologize for the inconvenience. We are at the mercy of our suppliers, and the estimates listed are directly provided by them. Unfortunately, there are occasions when the merchandise is delayed due to circumstances outside our control, and we are unable to ship according to the original timeframe. We are showing that your order has been cancelled per your request. We hope you decide to give us another chance in the future. Have a great day!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

Wrote customer service a question about any upcoming promotions they might have for the upcoming Veterans Day in 7 days from now. Asking because I was looking at a high dollar purchase. The response I received back was, if I were an account holder or member of optics planet I would know. Really? That's the response I get. Not "no, we sure are, but you will have to wait and see" or "I'll check for you". I am veteran, retired Army. This is how they treat their veterans. Just check your emails for promos when they come out. And that was it.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We apologize for the miscommunication. Promotions are not disclosed in advance. We suggest subscribing to our mailing list as our marketing team sends notice about promotions through our newsletter. We almost always have promotions during special events however, we need to wait for official communications before we can fully announce this to the public. We hope you decide to give us another chance in the future. Thank you and have a great day!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

Ordered a simple in stock air rifle scope for $30 with 3 to 5 day shipping. It took these clowns 4 days just to get it to DHL shipping, and then the expected 4 days to NH. Without telling me they made it signature required, so I missed the USPS man and now I have to go to the PO tomorrow to get my huge $30 order. I'm hoping no issues once I get I and am really glad I didn't order any ammo. The BBB has over 400 complaints about the games they play for months and almost years with customers. This company has at least 8 different (probably internet site) names they go by. They aren't even addressing some actual laws/rules they are breaking according to the BBB. I know I will never buy again from any of their names. They even delete and block any negative comments on their Facebook page besides the very questionable overly positive ones they probably have someone post.

OpticsPlanet.com response

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the less than ideal experience with the shipping of your package. Please be assured that this is not a usual circumstance and we are constantly striving to improve our services. Unfortunately, I do not see any order details on your review, so I could not check this and see what I can do to get this resolved for you. Please reach out to our Customer Care team and we will be more than happy to review your order and help out in the best way we can.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

>> Gargoyles Classic Sunglasses GAR10700069 was ordered April 18, 2021.

>> The last email update received was on July 6, 2021 stating estimated shipping date as July 19, 2021.
    >> It is now September 10, 2021.

>> Today the order status says expect shipping date is September 22nd.

STILL WAITING FOR MY ORDER 5 MONTHS LATER.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are sorry for the delay on your order. Unfortunately, we can only fill stock as quickly as it is received. This process is dependent on our suppliers and if the lead times provided change, this is unfortunately outside of our control. We are working to secure stock as quickly as we can and will continue to keep you updated on this status via your My Account. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Customer Care team. Have a great day!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

ZERO STARS. I placed an order 11 months ago and yesterday I received an email cancelling my order. I called and they said that instead of being able to fill my original order that cost $429, they said they would be happy to place a new order but now the new cost would be $2,450 + tax. Stay away from this immoral scam company.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We apologize for the inconvenience. We have tried to source the products you ordered with the original cost during the time of order placement. Unfortunately, due to drastic changes and volatility in the ammunition industry, costs for producing these products have increased over the last year. To learn more about the State of the Industry, please visit https://www.opticsplanet.com/state-of-the-industry.html.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Here is the deal with these scammers! I ordered 1,000 rounds of 5.56 ammunition back in November of 2020 at the price of less than $0.40 per round. On back order and the date kept getting pushed out further and further. I was assured once the ammo comes in they would ship it at the ordered price. They sell the same ammo now in 200 round boxes. Simple solution is ship me 5 of the 200 round boxes. Nope, they cancelled my order. Why? Because they can now sell it for $0.70 per round. DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY! STAY FAR AWAY!

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are sorry to hear that you have not had a positive customer experience with us. We recognize that your demand for gears is as strong as ever. Unfortunately, I do not have enough details on your review to pull up and check your order. Please reach out to our Customer Care team through phone, email, or live chat, and we will be more than happy to review your order and help out in the best way we can.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

STILL WAITING. We ordered the Wise Swingback Cooler seat on July 5, 2021. The website said it was expected to ship in 5-12 days. It’s now August 21st and we still don’t have it. My husband and I contacted Optics Planet 5 times and they have done nothing but lie. I was told I wouldn’t be charged until it shipped but they took the money on July 12th. Then they tried to tell me that they had not charged me yet while I was looking at my bank statement where the money had come out.

They even went as far as to call me a liar. Then they said it had already shipped but when we received a tracking number..so we called back and we’re told it would be shipped by August 16th at the latest yet here it is August 21st and still no tracking number. I contacted them by chat on the evening of the 16th to see if I could get a tracking number and James P. said he would check into it and email me a response but I’m STILL WAITING!! This is the review I put on Optics planet and they denied putting up the review. Buyer beware..This company are LIARS and CONS.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, your review was not approved because it does not focus on the customer's experience with the gear. If you'd like to discuss your overall shopping experience, please feel free to contact us directly. The item on your order is on back order with the manufacturer and will be available around 9/3-9/10. For more details, please get in touch with our customer care team and we will be more than happy to assist you. Thank you and have a great day!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

I purchased a Scope Combo and later OpticsPlanet cancelled the order. When I followed up on it, they told me the deal was too good at that price - $648 Burris Veracity and Free Burris Full Field. Then they told me that Burris discontinued the Full Field (which they have), however Optics Planet has 12 in stock. Burris also told me that the package was created by Optics Planet so if they have the scopes in stock they could still make the package (which I agree). The sales guy at Optics Planet then tells me the deal was too good and that they would sell me the combo for $900 dollars and free two day shipping. This company has lost my business for life. I will never do business with them again!!

OpticsPlanet.com response

We apologize for the inconvenience. The combo on your order is a pre-made package coming from the supplier and can be referenced with other competitor sites that offer the same package. We can only fulfill this item from the stocks coming from the supplier and cannot come from a different inventory. Unfortunately, this item has been discontinued and is no longer available on our site. Your issue has been escalated to our customer care team and they will contact you at their soonest availability.

OpticsPlanet.com Company Information