3.1/5 (364 ratings)

About OpticsPlanet.com

OpticsPlanet is an online solution for shoppers in the market for outdoor and tactical gear. The company offers free shipping on orders of more than $49 to anywhere in the contiguous United States. OpticsPlanet’s collection is selected and organized by its employees and features customized hunting and tactical products.

Pros

• Free shipping and returns
  • Rewards program
  • Military and health worker discounts

Cons

• Doesn’t ship to all states
  • Some items restricted by law

Bottom Line

OpticsPlanet offers a comprehensive selection of outdoor and tactical gear for professionals and hobbyists. It provides free shipping within the contiguous U.S. for orders over $49.

OpticsPlanet.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OpticsPlanet.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OpticsPlanet.com?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I purchased ammunition for a revolver 12/29/2020. As of to date 8/10/2021, I still get a promised shipment date somewhere in the future but always changed by Optics Planet further down the month. They keep saying it is on back order. Get real.... I finally canceled the order and purchased the ammunition from another company. This is really not acceptable. I called and spoke to representatives but always was given the same, "we're sorry for the inconvenience." If you want anything from this company, in my opinion, better not be in a hurry.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We apologize for the delay on your order. Demand for ammunition has greatly increased over the past year and is currently significantly exceeding supply. Unfortunately, that means many out-of-stock orders might experience extended delays as manufacturers work to fulfill their own backorders to retailers. We do our best to update the ETA when we get new information from our suppliers. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future. Have a great day!

Original review: July 30, 2021

They show the item I was buying IN STOCK...which is why I ordered from them, so I order it, they charge my card for hundreds of dollars, and I get an email the next day saying I won't see my product for 7-10 MONTHS. Will never order from again, ever. Hoping I can even get my money back. Apparently they're notorious for doing this too. Showing items in stock they don't even have. STEER CLEAR.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are so sorry for the less than ideal experience you've had with us. Please note that the product's availability is listed to the right of the Add to Cart button on our website. If it is in stock, it will say "Expected to ship within x-x business days". Funds are not captured until your order is ready for shipment. Unfortunately, there is not much details on your review so we were not able to locate and check your order. Please contact us and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I contacted customer service, got told I could cancel my order, but that would not honor the quantity listed for FX pellets. They still haven't updated the site 3 weeks later. They are trying to scam everyone, very dishonest.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We’re terribly sorry for our error in our listing. Instances where a typographical error occurs are rare and we can assure you that we’re working diligently to make sure that we improve going forward. Our Web Content team has been advised of the issue and are working on getting this corrected. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to give us a call, chat, or email us. Again, our sincerest apologies for this less than ideal experience we’ve given you.

Original review: July 28, 2021

Back in September on the website you I purchased ammo. On the tan you can select in stock so I ordered some. I keep getting updates that it gets pushed back 2 weeks. That’s fine and all. I understand back orders. I don’t understand that the website says in stock. That’s why I ordered it. They do not want to honor the price that was listed so today I get an email saying that they are canceling my order. Talk about bad customer service. They would rather lose a customer than maintain a customer. That’s fine. This is not the only time this has happened. Midway and 2 a whse has no problems taking care of the customer. They will get all my business from this point on. Be wary if you order from DVOR that it may come from Op that you will get poor customer service also.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We apologize for the inconvenience. We have tried to source the products you ordered with the original cost during the time of order placement. Unfortunately, due to drastic changes and volatility in the ammunition industry, costs for producing these products have increased over the last year. Due to these and a variety of reasons, we reserve the right to cancel backorders at any time. For more information, please visit https://www.opticsplanet.com/state-of-the-industry.html.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I purchased and paid for a Magpul furniture kit, for which I received an order confirmation, and after two weeks was wondering, "Where is my order?" After logging in I saw that my order was listed as, “Processing - Order Needs Your Attention”. At no point was I notified my order needed my attention, so had I not checked, I would still be here two weeks from now waiting on it.

After 30 minutes and two different reps, the order was supposedly released after I provided my credit card information, which I provided two weeks ago when I placed the order. One rep told me the items had be backordered, which was never indicated online or in the order confirmation, while the other rep told me “your credit card information didn’t take”. Not likely given I used the same credit card for the items that arrived under a prior order, plus why would they confirm my order and payment if it didn't go through.

After emailing OpticsPlanet twice with the above details, I've received no response, so I can't imagine having to process a warranty claim with them. Plenty of other websites offering the same products, so I'm done with these guys. Why was I not notified there was an issue with my order? Why was there an issue in the first place? Why was I not able to simply pay online vs. wasting 30 minutes talking to two different reps?

OpticsPlanet.com response

Greetings Tom! We are sorry for than less than ideal experience you've had with us. We send email communications to the email address listed during order placement whenever there is an issue with an order. Please check your junk or spam mail to see if our mails have been misrouted. One of our representatives will contact you in the next few days to discuss this in further details. We hope you decide to give us another chance in the future. Have a great day!

Original review: July 25, 2021

I placed a couple of ammo orders back in November of 2020, and I am still waiting for them! They keep saying that they are waiting on the manufacturer to deliver new product, but the reality is that they are selling to other customers that are being charged close to three times what I paid. People that don’t have any other way to buy ammo are being taken advantage of, they should be ashamed. My recommendation for ammo buyers is to shop around, you should be able to find ammo at least half of the price they are asking.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are sorry to hear that you have not had a positive experience with us. While we are proud to support backorders, including hard-to-find and high-demand products, we never want to disappoint our valued customers. Please understand that your place in the queue is locked in, as well as your price, and we fulfill backorders on a first-come-first-serve basis. To see more details regarding backorders and your options, please check out https://www.opticsplanet.com/inventory-availability-faq.html.

Original review: July 19, 2021

I placed an order (Order # **) on March 8th 2021. The order processed and had an estimated delivery date of March 17 2021. As that date came and went, I continued to check the status and nothing changed. It still hasn’t changed on the site, but as of July 7th 2021, the UPS tracking number site says “Delivered on Wednesday, July 7th at 11:00 am at Front Door Delivered to MO US”. Which sounds good but when you consider that I live in Kentucky and haven’t received the package, it’s not good.

Then as many other people have noted in their reviews, customer service is nonexistent. When you call you get no answer, and it just puts you through to a voicemail box that they have clearly said they will not reply to, and when you email them all you get is a prewritten generic reply that addresses nothing. I don’t understand how OP doesn’t have anyone answering phones, or replying to actual emails.. I hope this reaches someone before they make an order, so at least they are warned.

OpticsPlanet.com response

Greetings Chris! We are sorry to hear that you have not received your package. Our customer care team is available through phone, chat and email, and answer inquiries in the order that they are received. We have referred your case to one of our customer care representatives and they will contact you in the next few days. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns. Have a great day!

Original review: July 6, 2021

See all the posts below with ONE star and all the empty apologies from OP. I have spent thousands of dollars at this place. They have horrendous customer care. I have received opened mfg packaging and used products. They do not respond to phone calls. Optics Planet will not return voicemails. They do not have a storefront at the address listed on their site either (I know because I drove down there and was rudely told to leave by a general contract security guard). Optics Planet will not expedite orders nor try to expedite orders they committed errors on. If you live near their Aurora, IL shipping warehouse still anticipate a two week shipping period.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are sorry to hear that you have not had a positive customer experience with us. We currently do not have a physical store that can accommodate order transactions. Our warehouse and offices are not equipped to assist customers about order issues. Please contact our customer care team through phone, chat or email and we will be more than happy to help you. Inquiries are answered in the order that they are received to give fair attention to all customers.

Original review: July 5, 2021

Optics Planet's price gouging on ammo has turned me to other options on my ammo needs. They use to have reasonable prices on ammo and now that there is a shortage, they have raised their prices dramatically. A once $25 box of ammo is $40- $50 dollars. Walmart and Sportmans guide don’t have ammo available as often but when they do, the prices are the same as they were before the shortage.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We apologize for the inconvenience. We try our best to provide the best possible pricing on the products that we offer. Our prices are affected by the cost passed on to us by our suppliers, market fluctuations and other factors that are beyond our control. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Customer Care team and we will be more than happy to assist you. Have a great day!

Original review: June 23, 2021

Ordered a sleeping bag for my son's birthday on 6/7/21 and as of 6/22/21 still have not received it nor been notified that it has been shipped. We live in Wisconsin just a couple hours north from their warehouse so it should have been a quick shipment. Never order from them again.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are so sorry for the less than ideal experience you've had with us. We tried to ship your item from the manufacturer, however, it turns out that they no longer have stocks for your order. We will continue to hold this order open until the merchandise is ready for shipment and issue tracking once shipped. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. Please do not hesitate to contact our customer care team with any further questions or concerns. Have a great day!

OpticsPlanet.com Company Information