3.1/5 (333 ratings)

About OpticsPlanet.com

OpticsPlanet is an online solution for shoppers in the market for outdoor and tactical gear. The company offers free shipping on orders of more than $49 to anywhere in the contiguous United States. OpticsPlanet’s collection is selected and organized by its employees and features customized hunting and tactical products.

Pros

• Free shipping and returns
  • Rewards program
  • Military and health worker discounts

Cons

• Doesn’t ship to all states
  • Some items restricted by law

Bottom Line

OpticsPlanet offers a comprehensive selection of outdoor and tactical gear for professionals and hobbyists. It provides free shipping within the contiguous U.S. for orders over $49.

OpticsPlanet.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OpticsPlanet.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OpticsPlanet.com?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I ordered two items from them that were supposed to be in stock, three weeks later I get an email that both are on backorder. Whatever, so I canceled the order. A week after cancelling they tried to charge my card for the full amount, despite the fact I have the cancellation confirmation in my possession. Don't waste your time, go anywhere else. On a side note, I ordered the same stuff from Walmart and had it two days later. If you need outdoor equipment, go somewhere else.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I ordered an optic combo kit Vortex Strikefire 2 with 3x magnifier for a decent deal from Optics Planet. Did not save me a ton of money but it was definitely cheaper than most sites. Here's the problem, I ordered it on Dec 28, 2020 and as of today Jan 20 it still had not been shipped out. Every time I contacted them and verified that it was definitely in stock they would say it will be shipping soon/within a few days. Their website says 1-7 days even 10 days at worst for in stock items and I am at 22-23 days by this point.

As I said I verified that the item was in stock and not backordered etc. If it was backordered I would have understood about waiting. This company made me so angry that they could not get their act together and ship my item out that I filed a PayPal claim and requested a refund which I just received. I could not cancel on their website because they conveniently mark as shipped on the day of purchase. I will take my business elsewhere gladly and I suggest you do also unless you want to deal with lies and frustration!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

Covid has caused delay..blah...blah....that was 8 months ago. Time to adapt and overcome. No reason an in stock item should take 2 to 3 weeks to ship at this point. I could literally drive to the warehouse from across the country stopping at every tourist attraction between here and there. Doing all of this before you can pull an item off the shelf and toss it in a bin at the P.O.?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I purchased a CAA Micro Roni on December 21st 2020. I was told it may be a few days but it would ship soon. I have been calling now for 2 weeks and I always get the same answer. "We're sorry but there is nothing we can do so you'll have to be patient." Last week, I was told the order would be expedited (they apparently don't know the meaning of that term) and it was supposed to have shipped last week. I called again yesterday and again they have no way of ensuring my order will be going out anytime soon. It would be helpful for them to stop offering 2 day shipping while the rest of the orders wait in limbo. My merchandise is supposedly there and just needs to be boxed and a shipping label attached. So, there is definitely an issue with their warehouse and the management ability to prioritize orders that have been sitting while others go right out the door.

I ordered another item last week and it's already on its way. How does that happen? I wouldn't buy anything from this site unless you're prepared to wait forever for them to get their poo together and ship items by first ordered first shipped and they need to suspend all 2 day shipping until they catch up with the orders that are never fulfilled due to their incompetence! This will be my last order with Optics planet and I will buy from anyone else even if an item is cheaper. It's not worth the lies and stupidity that comes with dealing with these clowns...

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Ordered this product 4 months ago. Didn’t receive an update email or text stating the products deliver was delayed. Order on Oct 2020 and it’s now Jan 2021 and still the product hasn’t shipped. I requested a cancellation of my order 3 weeks ago and still nothing has been communicated to me. I tried calling their customer service and no one answers after waiting on hold for 40 mins at a time. I have left voicemails explaining the reason for my calls and still no one returns my calls. Stay away from this company. They are terrible. I would have given them 0 stars if I could.

Resolution response: Jan. 26, 2021

The item I ordered did finally arrive after 6 weeks. However, I am not happy with the fact that I was charged for an item that was not in stock at the time of purchase, though the website indicated it was available, and I'm not pleased with the quality of customer service in handling my complaint.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

I paid for a high-end telescope eyepiece, which the Optics Planet website indicated was available. That was Dec. 14. My credit card was charged. but the item never shipped (no tracking # was provided either). I have contacted them multiple times, and have been told that the item was not in stock, and still isn't. It has been 5 weeks now, and I have no idea when, or if, I will receive what I paid for. I have asked for a refund, and so far they have not honored that request. Their website says that they will not charge for items that are not in stock and ready to ship, but clearly that is a lie. It is difficult to get a response from customer service, as others here have noted. I will not order from them again, and just hope that I still receive what I paid for at some point.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

I have been waiting on my ammo 9mm for almost 4 months and they are still selling it on their website. Do not buy any 9mm Winchester. You will be waiting. Received a email from them last Wednesday saying they have no idea.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

I purchased a scope levelling kit from this company on 11th Dec 2020 and still have not received my goods as yet (16th Jan 2021). They have taken a small amount of money from me as a verification that my account is legit but other than that any customer service officer I speak to cannot give me any real reason as to why I haven't received my goods. The last 'story' I was given was that the tool was being reviewed for it's export legitimacy, which I've researched and it has no restrictions and is frequently shipped by other companies in the U.S. to Australia. DO NOT deal with this company, since my issue arose, I have looked into OpticsPlanet and they have a very shady reputation to say the least. Spend your hard earned dollars wisely elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

This company is obviously a scam, & the recorded messages pleading for your patience are just a coverup. I ordered something 15 days ago & it never shipped, & I tried to cancel it 4 times & never got a confirmation. When I call customer service, I get bumped off the line. My emails were never responded to. I see by all the other reviews that I’m not the only one - this seems like their regular practice. No decent business actually operates like that, there is something fishy going on here. GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

It's been over a month since ordering 2 products that showed as in stock. They still show as in stock as well as show 1 to 6 day shipping time in the description. They take several days to respond to emails and only have canned responses: see below: "All items marked as “shipped” are in stock and have been set aside for you to be boxed and sent out for delivery." We all know that shipped means it's on the way to the customer and not still sitting on a shelf - if they even have the product. I got their "chat" service once and it's just as bad, all they will tell you is they're really busy. If I ever get what I ordered I'll be shocked. If I ever get a refund I'll be shocked. SCAM SITE - the only reason I selected 1 star is I could not post with 0 stars.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I placed an order for 2 items (both listed as in stock) on 12 December. I received a confirmation on the 19th. This was the first red flag. Funny thing is, their promos come almost daily in my email inbox now, they have zero issues advertising. Checked my order status and it showed that my items were in processing with a huge disclaimer about how delayed they are because of COVID-19. At the time, I didn’t worry about it as it was close to the holidays and because I am usually a very patient and understanding person. After a while I started to think that maybe the items I ordered weren’t in stock and that I ordered via an inventory error. I emailed them and in their response, I was assured that my items existed, but they haven’t been processed for shipping. The email also stated the items should be ready to ship later that week.

I emailed them again earlier this month and was told they were going to contact their logistics department to see why it hadn’t shipped yet, also assured my items physically existed and that the system has them located etc. Today I emailed them again demanding a definitive answer as to why I have to wait over 30 days for my items (listed as in stock) to even ship. We will see what happens, but right now I am likely to never shop here again. I will be recommending that people take their business elsewhere immediately if they come back to me trying to explain that my items were back ordered or something like that. This is false advertisement and extremely poor business.

To anyone reading this from OpticsPlanet, you need to list your products accurately if you want to do business online. The COVID 19 excuse only goes so far. Look on this site, there’s scores of people with similar experiences. It seems you do not care and you are happy to take our money and keep us in the dark. This is absolutely terrible business.

I could have driven to a gun shop 15 minutes down the road, but the prices on this website were lower, this seems like a trap and it borders on predatory practice. I should have just gone to my local dealer and paid the extra $25-50 I was going to save by doing business at opticsplanet. At least then I would have had my items last month.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I ordered a restricted "blue gun" from OpticsPlanet and filled out all the paperwork that was required. After multiple emails, phone calls, hours on hold and no response from their research department my order was canceled due to "lack of response to their multiple attempts" to contact me. I own a licensed custom holster manufacturing business and buy training guns all the time, both restricted and non-restricted and have never had this much trouble with any vendor.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

I recently attempted to make a purchase of 5 items with OpticsPlanet. All items were in stock when I made the order. The very next day I received an email stating that one of the items I ordered was not in stock. The other 4 items I purchased were dependent upon on the 1 item not in stock. They stated in the email they would be sending me the other 4 items (now of absolute no use to me), perform an adjustment on the bill to reflect only the 4 items in stock, and then later send me the other item when it finally arrives in 1-4 months! They would also take 5% off my next order for the "inconvenience" of it all. Never mind the fact that I received more of a discount (9%) on that order by using RetailMeNot and Honey coupons in my web browser. I guess they really splurge and make up for big inconveniences by taking someone to Sizzler.

I attempted to cancel this order by phone (left a message because it was Sunday) and through chat to no avail. The customer service representative in the chat would not cancel the order. THE ORDER HAD NOT EVEN LEFT FOR SHIPPING AND THEY WOULD NOT CANCEL IT. That adjustment to my bill has not been made, they are still charging me the full amount, and I have disputes filed with all my funding sources for this order for a fraudulent charge. Piece of advice, don't do business with them. They are awful and do not listen to their customers.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

I placed an order for Vortex Red Dot Scope on November 25, 2020. It was scheduled for delivery Dec 3, 2020. By Dec 22, 2020 I had NOT received the item and requested a cancellation and refund. On Dec 22, 2020 by another email I was told the item had already been returned to them and it could take 3 to 4 weeks to process a refund. On Dec 23, 2020, I was told the last package update was December 12, 2020 and the item was at the USPS facility in Aurora Illinois. I was also told I have to wait for the time to be returned to them before I can get a refund. If the item is not returned to them by the 27th of December I have to wait another 15 days before they can file a lost package claim.

The item is obviously lost. I contacted USPS and was told they have no record of the item. Opticsplanet refuses to refund to me the amount I paid back in November 2020. Every time I contact them the response is the same: "We do apologize for the inconvenience. Please let us know if you need further assistance. Have a great day!"

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

Do not buy from here. Takes forever for products to ship. Bought $3700 worth of items. I'm at 1 month 11 days since I ordered the items. I do not have the product and the tracking has not been updated since Dec 7th.

Resolution response: Dec. 30, 2020

It turned out ok in the end.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

Lousy first experience - will be my last. I bought a grip for my rifle which was “in stock” but then became “delayed” after I bought it. I tried to reach customer service by phone but there’s literally no one who picks up a phone there. I was forced to cancel the order online which I did and bought it through a local rifle supply shop in my area - same day service there! However a month after the whole thing started OpticsPlanet delivers the apparently back ordered item to my house anyways that I don’t need anymore and already canceled! Don’t do business with these people unless you like being run around in circles.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

Horrible online shopping experience! Placed order online and received confirmation email. Four days later receive a second email directing to verify billing and shipping addresses. Customer service not open on the weekend, finally speak with representative two days later after over 20 minutes on hold. Assured that addresses were verified and told that one item (in stock at time of order) was now on backorder after six days elapsed between placing order and OpticsPlanet.com finally processing said order.

Items finally arrive twelve emails, one phone call, and 18 days after placing original order. Check credit card statement and overcharged for credit card verification (supposed to be applied to order and/or refunded) and another, unknown, amount. Emailed customer service and told charges were sales tax not included in original invoice. Save yourself aggravation and headache by ordering from another retailer. Will never patronize OpticsPlanet.com again!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

It is been a month, and they have not shipped my package yet. I have contacted them 2 times and they told me they will ship it quickly. I know it is close to year end, but the other item in my order shipped in 1-2 weeks but the other item is taking forever. I have told them that I need it because of the hunting season, but didn't work.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

I am writing this review to add to the list of negative complaints about shipping. I’m not a complainer, I would just like the product I ordered. My experience has been the same as the others. My item was in stock, I called them on the phone and they verified this before I ordered. They took my money, and 10 days later item has not shipped. It says on their website, in stock items ship in 1 to 2 days, that is obviously a lie. I have not been able to reach them on the phone now that I have paid. Their chat line gives generic answers. “We are working tirelessly to fill all open orders “. “We have greatly expanded our team to meet order demands, please be patient”. Sound familiar?? I have doubts I’ll ever receive my product or money back. Don’t be a fool, order from someone else, this was my first time, never again.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

I wish I had read the reviews about this website before I placed an order. I ordered a telescope I assumed was ready to be shipped out. Even paid an extra surcharge for 3-5 day delivery. 20 min After completing the order I get an email saying "we have an update on your order" "Estimated delivery time 7-9 weeks". If I can get an email 20min after placing an order that an item will take 7-9 weeks, I should be able to see that while checking out and paying money. The email then goes on to say "for your inconvenience, we will offer you 5% off your next in-stock purchase". HAHA what a joke!

Called the customer service line and it was busy beyond hell, so I called the line that says I want to place a new order and magically got through. The lady basically said it was my fault for not looking at the availability, even though I got an "update email" explaining the change in my order. After looking at these reviews as well as Facebook comments (before they filter them out) It seems this website is not clear on their processing times, shipping times, and availability. Again, stay away! It's 2020, websites that operate like this shouldn't be in business, when I swipe my card on a random website, I am giving you trust that you haven't earned. and then you take full advantage of it. My mistake. Won't happen again.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

Terrible company/customer service. Ordered a flashlight ($90.00) for work and was sent a soft gun case ($35.00). Called and was told I need to do a return, print a label and go to a UPS store to ship the gun case back to them. Upon them receiving the gun case they will start the return process then ship my flashlight. So they are holding my paid for flashlight as hostage until they get the gun case back. I offered to buy the gun case so I can get my flashlight for work. Was told I cannot do that. Anyways I shipped the gun case back and now received an email stating returns are taking 3 weeks.

This whole incident was not my fault, yet I am the one paying the price. Any properly run company would have said, "It is our mess up, we will ship your flashlight out immediately, and once you receive it if you would like to you can ship the gun case back to us or keep it as a gift due to our mess up". But nope. This company holds your paid for item as hostage due to their incompetence. Then when you send an email advising of your displeasure they send an email back trying to be smart ** and reply: “We are truly sorry to hear you received an incorrect product, due to the thousands of different products we store at our facility; rarely some incorrect items may unintentionally get shipped”. Thousands of different products, that’s it? Bass Pro and Cabelas have millions in their distribution center and from the 100 times I have ordered from them I never had one mistake. Will never buy from OpticsPlanet again.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

They take your money immediately and do not ship as stated. If you inquire about your order, you get nothing but lies. This company is using the COVID pandemic to rip off consumers. They should be prosecuted!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

Ordered a scope night vision $800 scope almost two weeks ago. Hunting season is almost over for coyote Fox. Their tracking system they have none. They don't keep you informed by email about your shipment. Not a very good business. I was going to order several hunting items and decided to buy from someone else. Still no scope.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I purchased a product on 11/18/20. The Optics Planet website advertises free returns and refunds so I figured no worries. The product was not what I wanted so I returned it using their issued RMA. I received an email from them that they got the return on 11/27/20. Since then nothing. I've tried contacting them 3 times on their chat system and was cut off. I've sent 3 emails and received an automated response that they would reply within 24 hours. No response. In my opinion they are lying about issuing refunds. They have my money and I do not have the product they promised to refund. Form your own opinion.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

Company website stated product ordered was available in November of 2020. Order status states that expected delivery will be March 6, 2021. I feel they misrepresented themselves. Contacted the company about the situation with little response.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

I have ordered all types of gear from this company over and over again. Being fooled every time, when they say the product is in stock. It took 3 months to get 3 items after I was told it was being "shipped". I have been stuck in "ship" mode for the third and last time now. I am actually still waiting for something that was supposedly in stock, but only received half the order. I am still waiting, while the website now says "processing order". It just went backwards. Very bad management. Untrue "in stock" statements. I hope you're not in a rush.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I ordered my “in stock” products that were listed as shipping in 1-5 days back on November 25th, and still they have yet to ship. An email on Nov 27th stated the items were “preparing to be shipped” and checking the status through the link provided gave me a vague “processing” message. When I called to check the automated system told me the items were “at the warehouse being packed for shipping.” Now the product availability on the website is listed as 6-12 months. This whole things seems suspect.

Orders from other online vendors I executed the same day were notified as shipped with tracking codes and expected to be delivered within the next few days. Opticsplanet.com never answers their phone, or emails. They don’t provide any notice of what is an obvious delay which makes me think they don’t have the items at all and are going to drag this out for months like they have for so many others. After reading so many negative reviews about this place I regret that I did not avoid them.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

Pathetic service and even worse customer service!!! I ordered a product on October 26th. Order status was "IN STOCK" said 3-5 days to ship. 10 days later notice that shipping was delayed. Tried multiple attempts and hours trying to talk to someone. Finally the most "uneducated derelict" lied to me about product being in stock. They don't update their website when an item is out of stock. I have spent more time trying to get my money back than the product was worth. Today is November 30th and still no response. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY WITH THIS COMPANY!!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Thought I was going to be dealing with a reputable company, my bad for not digging deeper into the latest reviews. Items ordered on 12 November, money taken from my account 13 November. "Items are shipped...here is your USPS tracking number". GREAT, except it has stayed in USPS awaiting shipment since. Tried calling...actually got thru and was told that she would see what she could do on her side...that is without asking me for my order number before placing me into the forever hold canned music. MANY emails met with the robot response..."call USPS to see what they did with the order", "sorry, we have to wait 15 business days to start a lost package procedure..." on and on.

Same as other here, you took my money, immediately placed a tracking number on the order and because they did, I cannot cancel. Next step is to the card company to begin a fraudulent claim against them. At ALL COSTS...avoid this company like the plague, customer service does NOT exist, but the ability to take your money within hours of placing your order sure does.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

These guys have yet to issue me a refund for my lost item and they keep dodging my emails and making up excuses. I have contacted them a plethora of times through email and other avenues and they just give you the runaround. Clearly they do not care about their customers.

OpticsPlanet.com Company Information