3.1/5 (350 ratings)

About OpticsPlanet.com

OpticsPlanet is an online solution for shoppers in the market for outdoor and tactical gear. The company offers free shipping on orders of more than $49 to anywhere in the contiguous United States. OpticsPlanet’s collection is selected and organized by its employees and features customized hunting and tactical products.

Pros

• Free shipping and returns
  • Rewards program
  • Military and health worker discounts

Cons

• Doesn’t ship to all states
  • Some items restricted by law

Bottom Line

OpticsPlanet offers a comprehensive selection of outdoor and tactical gear for professionals and hobbyists. It provides free shipping within the contiguous U.S. for orders over $49.

OpticsPlanet.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OpticsPlanet.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OpticsPlanet.com?

Original review: June 11, 2021

I have been waiting over a year for my order. They periodically notify me it will be 2 or 3 more months. I have asked them to substitute similar ammunition. They never respond but their website shows they get new stock in yet they won't send it. Impossible to get a response out of these people. Had it not been for their ** I could've gotten the merchandise from someone else months earlier. Don't waste your time trying to order from them. Wish I had looked at their reviews earlier. Oh, they also constantly flood your e-mail with spam.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are sorry for the delay on your order. We truly value you as our customer and want to do everything we can to restore your confidence in us. Unfortunately, I do not see any order details on your review, so I could not check this and see what I can do to get this resolved for you. Please reach out to our Customer Care team through phone, email, or live chat, and we will be more than happy to review your order and help out in the best way we can.

Original review: June 10, 2021

I placed an order for 9mm ammo in November 2020 knowing that it would be a while before delivery. Received an email stating the ammo would be delivered in March 2021. Every month I receive an update pushing the delivery back with the most recent "expected" delivery now in September. I have called several times and even waited on the phone for 75 minutes to talk to a supervisor to no avail. My main complaint is the fact that they are selling 9mm ammo on their website at a higher price then I contracted for but they still show my item "out of stock". I would not recommend this company to anyone.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are sorry for the delay with your order. We fill orders on a first-come, first-serve basis. Currently, there is a high demand for ammo, but there is a limited supply coming in. The specific ammo on your order is still on backorder. If you are looking to get a replacement option, please contact our customer care team over the phone, chat, or email to be assisted. Have a great day!

Original review: June 3, 2021

I placed my 1st order and it seemed like a good deal, not for ammo or guns, or anything that needs background or safety checks. I get charged, and my stuff ships... Great right? Well it was running a little late compared to what the UPS tracking said so I decided to pop onto the UPS site to track it. Turns out they used SurePost and according to UPS they gave the wrong USPS part of the tracking number to UPS. So I reach out and spend just a hair under 15 minutes on the phone on hold, until it dumps you into a voicemailbox that they repeatedly say they will not respond to. So I use chat... I type out the whole situation and Eric O. replies back with:

"We apologize for the inconvenience caused with your package being delayed. Unfortunately, we are not able to start the lost package claim process until the tracking has not moved and has not been delivered for over 15 business days according to the UPS tracking link. If you do not receive the package after that point, please contact us back and we can proceed with that process."

So I assume he misunderstood the issue, after all the tracking information for the USPS part of my shipment states that the item was delivered to a different state, and 4 months before I had placed my order. So I rephrase it... Nope... He restates that they will not even try to figure out what my real tracking number is until I wait 3 full weeks (15 business days) So that isn't happening and I am going to reach out to my CC company and forward a link to all of these horror stories on here as well as the chat transcript.

Do not run, work at, think of opening a business, if your 1st customer service interaction on a customers 1st order is to say "we won't even try to help you for 3 weeks even though it was our staff that gave the wrong tracking information". I recorded UPS throwing them under the bus too, seems they have a reputation for bad tracking info and missing shipments I guess. At least that's how the UPS rep's attitude was when he looked up the account for the shipper (i.e. OpticsPlanet). I really regret placing a 2nd order with them. I never place a second order with a company until I see how the 1st one goes... but I broke my own rule and unfortunately gave them another sale before knowing how terrible their staff is.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Every so often, carriers will recycle their tracking numbers in order to keep them from getting too long. This is the case with your assigned tracking number. Unfortunately, a lost package claim can only be filed after 15 business days of no movement per carrier’s policy. The carrier will not accommodate this claim any earlier than the allotted time. We may assist you with a claim if the package is still not delivered after 15 days of no movement.

Original review: June 1, 2021

Updated on 06/03/2021: I ordered a scope and was given a delivery date that then changed and changed again. Now I am waiting endlessly for my scope to be delivered. Have called customer service repeatedly and they have told me they shipped the product so it is not their responsibility!!! Optics Planet will not stand behind their product and I am out the large amount of money invested to buy this scope. They did tell me that in the event the scope gets returned to them, they will begin to process a refund which could take 2 weeks or more from the time they request it.

Original Review: Ordered and received a tracking number in reasonable time (approx. 1 day) with a promised delivery date, then that changed - now almost a week later I still have no products and an ever changing delivery date. No answers, the money has been charged to my credit card. Would prefer to buy local in the future. If the issue is with shipping, then maybe a different and more reliable shipper would be a good answer.

OpticsPlanet.com response

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the delay on your order. The shipping method selected for your order was Value Shipping, which may take 5-10 business days for final delivery. We have no control over the logistics of the carrier. Unfortunately, they have suspended their service guarranties due to current events. If in case the tracker shows no movement for more than 15 business days, please contact our customer care team and we will assist you with a claim. Have a great day!

Original review: May 27, 2021

I ordered ammo from Optics MONTHS ago, not major, a SMALL ORDER. They sent me updates pushing the ship date out further and further, at first. Then I contacted them to INCREASE my order because I knew ammo was getting hard to get but still, I just wanted 3-4 boxes. They confirmed the change but I've NEVER HEARD FROM THEM AGAIN! They have never bothered to even TRY to send me my order, partial order or anything. HORRIBLE company and customer service, don't tell me they have not gotten at least ONE BOX in that they could have shipped to me of 9mm ammo! Lots of jibber jabber, NO FOLLOW THRU with this company, what a JOKE! I'm passing on my experience to every gun owner I know...they will buy elsewhere!

OpticsPlanet.com response

We apologize for the inconvenience. We are at the mercy of our suppliers and the estimates listed are directly provided by them. There are occasions when the merchandise is delayed due to circumstances outside our control and we are unable to ship according to the original timeframe. Unfortunately, I do not see any order details on your review so I was not able to check this and see what I can do to get this resolved for you. Please contact our customer service team so that we may assist you.

Original review: May 25, 2021

I've ordered from Optics over the years and always have had problems with getting my orders on time. They always take so long. My recent order was actually on time. I was very surprised. I'm not sure what they are doing but I hope they continue to keep the service level. I'll be making another order soon just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Great job Optics!

OpticsPlanet.com response

Greetings Jose! We appreciate the feedback and we are constantly looking to improve our services. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. Have a nice day!

Original review: May 14, 2021

I made a purchase for Ammo over a year ago and I can only assume they are trying to get me to cancel to be able to sell it at the inflated pricing during Covid. I've never received an email telling me of any changes to my shipping status. Poor customer service. Poor business practices.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We apologize for the delay on your order. There is a limited supply of ammo across the board and currently, we do not have stocks for the ammo that you ordered. Supplies are affected by factors that are beyond our control. Orders are filled on a first-come first-serve basis. We appreciate your patience during such unprecedented high demand. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Customer Care team. Have a great day!

Original review: May 5, 2021

Have talked to supervisor. Took over an hour. Promised to get back. Never did. Called again never called back. They still have my money. This order has been cancelled and still shows shipping with no tracking number.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are sorry to hear of your less than ideal experience. We appreciate hearing feedback and are constantly looking to improve. Unfortunately, I do not see any order details on your review so I was not able to check this and see if there is anything we can do to get this resolved for you. Please reach out to our Customer Care team through phone, email or live chat and we will be more than happy to review your order and help out in the best way we can. Have a great day!

Original review: April 29, 2021

I ordered products that were backordered 29 days, over six months ago. Still haven't received them, and their new estimate is that I should have them in just over a year. Their customer service is unapologetic, and their site is still selling the same items (now no longer backordered and supposedly shipping tomorrow) but at higher prices. This means they have items they could ship to fulfill my order that they already agreed to, but are choosing instead to sell it to other people to make more money (instead of honoring their old commitments). Steer clear of these guys, unethical all the way, will screw their customers any day to make a buck, and customer service that isn't even sorry about it. Skip them and go with someone more reputable, and less dishonest.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are sorry to hear that you have not had a positive customer experience with us. Please understand that your place in the queue is locked in, as well as your price, and we fulfill backorders on a first-come-first-serve basis. We give unbiased attention to all orders. We are showing that your issue has been addressed on another platform. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Customer Care team. Have a great day!

Original review: April 28, 2021

I purchased a self healing Bigfoot target. What I got was a flimsy cut out that has no way to secure or stand it up. It is rolled up. Complete waste of money. Tried to call customer service and just get a recording.

OpticsPlanet.com Company Information