3.0/5 (317 ratings)

About OpticsPlanet.com

OpticsPlanet is an online solution for shoppers in the market for outdoor and tactical gear. The company offers free shipping on orders of more than $49 to anywhere in the contiguous United States. OpticsPlanet’s collection is selected and organized by its employees and features customized hunting and tactical products.

Pros

• Free shipping and returns
  • Rewards program
  • Military and health worker discounts

Cons

• Doesn’t ship to all states
  • Some items restricted by law

Bottom Line

OpticsPlanet offers a comprehensive selection of outdoor and tactical gear for professionals and hobbyists. It provides free shipping within the contiguous U.S. for orders over $49.

OpticsPlanet.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OpticsPlanet.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OpticsPlanet.com?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

Ordered a scope night vision $800 scope almost two weeks ago. Hunting season is almost over for coyote Fox. Their tracking system they have none. They don't keep you informed by email about your shipment. Not a very good business. I was going to order several hunting items and decided to buy from someone else. Still no scope.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I purchased a product on 11/18/20. The Optics Planet website advertises free returns and refunds so I figured no worries. The product was not what I wanted so I returned it using their issued RMA. I received an email from them that they got the return on 11/27/20. Since then nothing. I've tried contacting them 3 times on their chat system and was cut off. I've sent 3 emails and received an automated response that they would reply within 24 hours. No response. In my opinion they are lying about issuing refunds. They have my money and I do not have the product they promised to refund. Form your own opinion.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

Company website stated product ordered was available in November of 2020. Order status states that expected delivery will be March 6, 2021. I feel they misrepresented themselves. Contacted the company about the situation with little response.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

I have ordered all types of gear from this company over and over again. Being fooled every time, when they say the product is in stock. It took 3 months to get 3 items after I was told it was being "shipped". I have been stuck in "ship" mode for the third and last time now. I am actually still waiting for something that was supposedly in stock, but only received half the order. I am still waiting, while the website now says "processing order". It just went backwards. Very bad management. Untrue "in stock" statements. I hope you're not in a rush.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I ordered my “in stock” products that were listed as shipping in 1-5 days back on November 25th, and still they have yet to ship. An email on Nov 27th stated the items were “preparing to be shipped” and checking the status through the link provided gave me a vague “processing” message. When I called to check the automated system told me the items were “at the warehouse being packed for shipping.” Now the product availability on the website is listed as 6-12 months. This whole things seems suspect.

Orders from other online vendors I executed the same day were notified as shipped with tracking codes and expected to be delivered within the next few days. Opticsplanet.com never answers their phone, or emails. They don’t provide any notice of what is an obvious delay which makes me think they don’t have the items at all and are going to drag this out for months like they have for so many others. After reading so many negative reviews about this place I regret that I did not avoid them.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

Pathetic service and even worse customer service!!! I ordered a product on October 26th. Order status was "IN STOCK" said 3-5 days to ship. 10 days later notice that shipping was delayed. Tried multiple attempts and hours trying to talk to someone. Finally the most "uneducated derelict" lied to me about product being in stock. They don't update their website when an item is out of stock. I have spent more time trying to get my money back than the product was worth. Today is November 30th and still no response. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY WITH THIS COMPANY!!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Thought I was going to be dealing with a reputable company, my bad for not digging deeper into the latest reviews. Items ordered on 12 November, money taken from my account 13 November. "Items are shipped...here is your USPS tracking number". GREAT, except it has stayed in USPS awaiting shipment since. Tried calling...actually got thru and was told that she would see what she could do on her side...that is without asking me for my order number before placing me into the forever hold canned music. MANY emails met with the robot response..."call USPS to see what they did with the order", "sorry, we have to wait 15 business days to start a lost package procedure..." on and on.

Same as other here, you took my money, immediately placed a tracking number on the order and because they did, I cannot cancel. Next step is to the card company to begin a fraudulent claim against them. At ALL COSTS...avoid this company like the plague, customer service does NOT exist, but the ability to take your money within hours of placing your order sure does.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

These guys have yet to issue me a refund for my lost item and they keep dodging my emails and making up excuses. I have contacted them a plethora of times through email and other avenues and they just give you the runaround. Clearly they do not care about their customers.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Many of their items are listed as in stock but they aren’t actually in stock. After you order it, it switches to item in order and the expected driver date will be 3 months later. Even it they have it in stock, it’ll take weeks to ship. I made an order that I made sure was over 50 for free shipping. One item was oos but they never said that. Then they wouldn’t ship the rest of my order until the item came in. I canceled the item so they’d ship the rest of the stuff I had been waiting weeks on, and then they charged me shipping with no notice because I cancel the one item they weren’t going to get in for months and I wanted the rest of the things I had ordered. Wish I had gone with someone else in the first place because OpticsPlanet has been nothing but a headache.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I placed an order online 3 weeks ago which they charged me for and will not provide me with an update. It was a single item! I attempted multiple emails and only received auto-generated canned responses. I attempted to call several times and no one will answer.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

Optics planet has been great so far, Great selection and information on items! All good except trying to contact customer service! I’ve ordered several parts, some have wait times of a few months, and I would like some information! I’ve Been trying for days to reach someone through phone, email, message, with no luck at all. I may miss out on 100’s of dollars worth of optics planet bucks because of this!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

OpticsPlanet is the worse for shipping. They give you one excuse after another. They don’t tell you if an item is not in stock, but will take your money. I recently purchased one item and after a couple of days of not getting a shipped notice I sent them an email asking what is the delay. They responded my order is being processed, and will ship soon. Later that day I received an message from them stating “Good news, we are now shipping within 1-3 days”! That was 5 days ago, and I still haven’t received a “Shipped” notice from them. Search around, you’ll find your item from another more reliable vendor.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

Ordered a telescope and a lens accessory in early October.. Telescope was listed as available in stock... Smaller part on backorder. Very specifically told on phone sales rep to not hold order... Ship separately... Small part shipped recently ...Larger one still says ordered... Yet site showed more items available on the telescope. 2 days later... Now weeks until available... More than 30 days.. No followup... Phone auto disconnects at 15 mins... Left 2 voicemails and emailed cust service...Price has significantly jumped on this product that I paid for... So cancelling and ordering elsewhere would cost me additional dollars and I've lost a month.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I ordered an AR pistol upper in June. After multiple requests of updated delivery times of my order I was only provided with information to the effect of “covid, supplier issues, we expect to get the item another month from original date we told you and finally, it will be another 2-3 months (middle of January)." I understand there is a large influx of orders and lack of supplies coming in due to Covid. The issue I have most is the complete lack of communication on the part of Optics Planet without first being contacted by the customer. There is no even remotely adequate way, as it appears, that they have of providing even the slightest bit of accuracy in delivery of the product ordered. The most accurate thing I have been told by your Optics Planet is that I still don’t have the product and won’t for a reliably indeterminate amount of time.

In the time that I cancelled my upper order through their company and the day that I inquired about a flip up sight I also ordered in June, I had already received an upper and build kit through another company. It took me 2.5 weeks to receive everything I ordered and that company’s response to inquiries was everything I had hoped for. Timely and accurate information. Thanks Optics Planet for the rear flip up I did receive and the knowledge that ordering from your company is less enjoyable than having my ruptured appendix removed.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

Ordered items 14 days ago. They posted delays up to 10 days. ltems listed as in stock are not. One item not in stock delayed the other items. Can't call customer service and email response is canned. Directs me to website that is worthless. Finally cancelled the item not in stock, still hasn't shipped.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We are very sorry to hear you were unhappy with your recent shopping experience. Customer service is our number one priority. Unfortunately, some of our inventory does come from the manufacturer and extended back order times are expected on popular items. This being said the info you were provided with is all the info we obtained from the manufacturer at the time. We provide our customers with as much updated info we may receive from the manufacturer. We truly apologize for the inconvenience.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I placed an order on Oct 24th. Their site said they had 9 on hand, They took the money on the 26th, their site said they had 6 on hand. It took a couple days for their site to indicate they were out. When I placed the order, they said it would ship in 3-5 days. On the 3rd or 4th day they said it would be a few more days. This time has long passed and they don't answer the phone, don't allow voice mail, answer specific email questions with form emails that don't answer the email. The cancel order links put you in a closed loop with zero option to cancel. I jumped on live chat. They said I was in queue and I waited 10 minutes for my turn but.... no. No agent available. I am calling the card company to get my money back. SAVE YOURSELF SOME HASSLE... DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH OPTICS PLANET!!!

OpticsPlanet.com response

Hi Tom, can you provide your order number?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I ordered a Kryptek hunting vest a month before hunting season, it was in stock and was to arrive in a couple of weeks. My debit was billed and I got a ready for shipment notice. Days went by with out a tracking number. I emailed them to find out about my tracking number and date, they didn't have one as my order was delayed but should arrive on time for my hunt as the item was in stock. Days later still nothing, another email now it wouldn't make it for my hunt so I cancelled my order. My debit card has still not be repaid and today when I checked to see why I found that my order was still open with a projected ship date of April 2021! I cancelled it again and will never buy from them again if they are still in business in the future. Stay away from this company, I believe they are going under.

OpticsPlanet.com response
We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. Customer Service is our top priority.

Unfortunately some of our inventory comes from the manufacturer and extended back order times are expected on popular items. The information you're provided with is all we obtained from the manufacturer at the time. We inform our customers with as much updated info we receive from the manufacture. We truly apologize and value you as a customer, and hope to better service you in the future.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

The reviews in their website are not true. They are a terrible company to work with; Item picture/description is not correct. Return the item for refund? Forget it, you will have to call your credit card company to get a refund. I won but a long 8 week process. My suggestion DO NOT BUY FROM OPTICS PLANET!

OpticsPlanet.com response
We're sorry to hear you're unhappy with your recent shopping experience. Customer service is our number one priority.

We truly hope that you accept our deepest apology as we value you as a customer and we hope to service you again in the future. We also hope that you will allow us another chance to exceed your expectations.

Resolution response: Nov. 6, 2020

I finally found a way to talk with a real person, but it was not through normal contact methods. Anyway, customer service person 'Pete' was extremely helpful in clearing things up. It seems like my ordered product is being sent, hopefully correct product this time. I was also informed that the unauthorized charge of double the amount has been voided. I now have a direct number to 'Pete' if this does not work out. Any company can make mistakes, but it really should not have been this hard to resolve. Many thanks to 'Pete' for taking his time to help me. Assuming things do work out I will order again. One hint, always remember the person you are talking to likely had nothing to do with creating the problem so always be nice.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

Ordered a Browning guncase from guncases.com 10/6/20, Paid. CC charge. Received wrong item 10/14/20. Got RMA & returned product. Unable to contact company. 10/26/20 used CHAT with OpticsPlanet and they confirmed the received returned product and issued a new order for what I originally ordered. Received order confirmation email showing no balance due (already paid). Now my CC shows a pending charge for exactly 2X original paid price. Still have received no product and no shipping data. Now I must try and get charge removed or wait till it is posted and dispute it. All this because they did not fill original order with product ordered. It also seems there is NO way now to contact them and get any customer service. I have zero confidence in ever getting my product or money refunded. I will continue to try and contact them.

OpticsPlanet.com response

We appreciate your feedback, as customer service is our number one priority. Glad to hear we were able to solve your issue and get you your items. We value you as a customer and we hope to service you again in the future.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

I bought an in stock electric bicycle that showed to be delivered but it never came to my address. I can not get anyone to answer emails or calls. Will never use Planet Optics again! I am contacting my credit card company to stop payment.

OpticsPlanet.com response

Hi Mark, we apologize for the inconvenience. Customer service is our number one priority. Can you provide your order number, we'd love to look into your order and see what's going on.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

Bought a 34mm scope mount that was supposedly "in stock". Item received a tracking number and says "shipped." Reality is the tracking number says it's still at the facility two weeks later. Would love to cancel my order, but get absolutely zero response thru email, phone, or their response form. Can't just cancel my order, cause is "shipped" it would have to be returned, and that will take 3 weeks. This is a terrible company, and practiced bad business way before the pandemic.

OpticsPlanet.com response

Hi Matthew, we apologize for the inconvenience. Because your item was shipped, it's no longer in OP's possession. It's a possibility it could've gotten lost with USPS or whomever the shipping carrier is. Due to our policy, depending on the carrier, we must wait a specific amount of days before we can file a lost package claim. Have you tried reaching out to the facility in which it's held?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

Please look elsewhere for a company with better customer service. I have placed multiple orders with this company and it started out okay even during the pandemic. The last 3 separate orders I placed didn't go so well. One order took a period of 5 months as I received bits and pieces of the order and I still haven't received the complete order yet. The second order I placed was for all in stock and available items and I contacted them several time after 2 weeks of no updates to try to cancel the order. I tried cancelling 3 times! 2 weeks later I received the order. Unfortunately I ordered similar products and received them over a week before this order. Instead of returning them I just sold them to a friend instead of dealing with the company. The last order I recently placed was free 2 day shipping valued at $50 for an in stock item.

After a week I kept contacting them. 3 times I received the generic response and then got an email to check my junk folder for an email from their risk assessment team. That email did not exist. Fortunately, I was able to cancel that order and order the same item at MidWay USA at a lower price. I've actually recommended friends who have had the same issues. I understand delays pandemic related or not, but the customer service is just terrible so my friends and I will keep shopping with MidWay until at least they get some customer service.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

Everything is fine until it isn't. I have placed numerous orders to this company, most of them have been handled acceptably with some delays which they claim were due to Covid and increased sales. All of my orders over the last month have shipped within 24 hours except one. For some reason (which they can't explain) this order sat for 13 days before actually being given tracking numbers.

Even though they openly claim to be shipping currently within 1-3 days. If that isn't enough after ten days I attempted to cancel the order as it hadn't shipped, even though the majority of the items were in stock both before and after I had placed my order and no one could give me an answer as to why the "in stock" items had not been shipped. I had ordered 3 of one backordered item and I had contacted them to change my order from 3 to 2. There was also a note on another item to contact them for more information concerning a backorder of that item.

Instead of changing the order from 3 to 2 they cancelled all of them without an explanation and never did answer the question about the note on the other item. (It did say to contact them.) I immediately contacted them back (via email as they refuse to answer the phone) to correct the error and was then told that they could not correct the mistake. Their explanation was that the order was already being processed and had been approved and they could not add to it. Not even to correct their own mistake. So I lost my place in line for the backordered items which cost me another month of waiting.

After a week with this order sitting inexplicably I decided to do an experiment. I reordered the items in this order over 4 separate orders placing the backordered items on their own separate order and the rest of the items on their own separate orders. All except the backordered items shipped within 24 hours. After verifying that UPS had picked up the items, 10 days in, I cancelled the initial order but received the response that it could not be cancelled as it had already been processed. After numerous attempts to rectify the problem I am now at day 14. The order has been given tracking numbers but UPS shows that it in fact has not shipped.

Optics Planet employees are either unwilling or unable to resolve issues. Not one person can explain to me why this order has been sitting for 14 days. Obviously the items were in stock as they have all been shipped to me in other orders. Or why the other orders shipped and this one has not. At this point it seems to be a game of how long can we string out this guy's refund. They've refused to cancel the order and insist on shipping it cross country and back and then make me wait again after it has been shipped back for my refund. Are they hoping they get lost or damaged so they can refuse my refund? Absolute and complete lack of customer service. I will never buy from them again.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I ordered a product that said "In Stock". I get an email later that night and when I check the estimated delivery date it says "Ships in 6-8 weeks", so NOT in stock. I need the product so I waited; 6 weeks later I get an email from Customer Support stating they'd tried to contact me multiple times about my order and since I hadn't responded they just cancelled my order. The email stated to contact them with any questions. I called to inquire as to what happened as I have NEVER received anything from them about my order but when you call there's an automated message stating they are not answering the phones, not responding to voicemails or online chats, and that it would be multiple weeks before they got to any online question forms. Will never be ordering from them again if this is what they consider to be an appropriate way to treat their customers.

OpticsPlanet.com response

Customer service is our number one priority. Due to the current climate changes some of our inventory comes from the manufacturer & extended back order times are expected on popular items. We provide you with all the information we have obtained from the manufacturer at the time. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may cause. Please provide your order number & I can take a look into your account to see what happened. We value you as a customer & hope to better service you in the future

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

I've ordered many times from Optics Planet in the past without any issue whatsoever. I even made a couple orders of "in stock" parts in September that went off without a hitch. Quick shipping with great communication. I recently placed two parts orders earlier this month (October) and am greatly disappointed. The first order showed (AND STILL SHOWS) "in stock" yet it has been stuck in a "being fulfilled" status for going on 3 weeks now.

I emailed customer service and actually got a timely email reply from a human being stating that the order was packaged for shipping and apologizing for the delay. That was 1 week ago and it is still yet to ship with a tracking number. The second order has been a full week now stuck in "being fulfilled" yet still showing "in stock". Not sure what happened to their operation in October but it has fallen off the rails... I've ordered from other suppliers at the same time suffering with the same logistical situation as everyone else these days yet they have managed to ship the items quickly and communicated well.

OpticsPlanet.com response

Customer service is our number one priority. Due to the current climate changes some of our inventory comes from the manufacturer & extended back order times are expected on popular items. We provide you with all the information we have obtained from the manufacturer at the time. We are completely aware and understand the inconvenience this can cause our customers, and we deeply apologize. We do our best to provide customers with as much updated information we received from the manufacture.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

I ordered an AR15 upper receiver. My order was cancelled without explanation. I tried to order again and the order was cancelled stating export and domestic sales regulations that do not apply unless they think that Alaska is a foreign country. I tried to call, they don't take customer calls. I emailed and got a auto-response that says they answer emails in two or more weeks. I gave up and ordered the part from MidwayUSA and they shipped it. I won't be using OpticsPlanet again.

OpticsPlanet.com response

Here at OpticsPlanet customer service is our top priority. We take pride in finding new ways to improve our customer satisfaction. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. Due to the high volume of responses we are receiving, our response time is a bit delayed. Please be patient as we plan to respond to every inquiry. We value you as a customer and we're working to handle all inquiries as soon as we can.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I get that Covid and all, but I made an order 9/18/2020. One item said in stock (Last one). One said "expected to ship in 1-6 days". Just a few days later they e-mail me that the 2nd item will be in about 10/19/2020 32 days not 6. They are also holding the 1st item until the 2nd gets there. I Tried to e-mail them about splitting the order, got a canned e-mail response (Zero help). I have waited because I really need the 1st item and I'm afraid it will be lost if I cancel. All this time they are still selling the 2nd item & STILL saying "expected to ship in 1-6 days." ALL WHILE THEY CLEARLY KNOW THAT IT WAS NOT TRUE. Really sad, I guess if it's not in stock, just assume you will be lied to.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

Very bad customer service; no one follows up with the orders. I placed an expensive order in beginning of August 2020 and to date 10-14-2020 have not received a single call or email regarding the status of my order. I do not recommend doing business with these people. There are many other vendors that are responsible and care about their customers.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

So far it has been one week in gathering parts from 3 different vendors that I ordered on 10-7-2020. One of the vendors is OpticsPlanet. One week later when OpticsPlanet doesn't arrive along with the other two I check the tracking number to realize OpticsPlanet hasn't been sent me the tracking number yet. I log onto OpticPlanet to see the item hasn't even left their warehouse. A week after I ordered it, in stock. I called them twice, covering an hour's time with no answer or call back afterward. I tried to cancel the order online but the cancel process would not let me.

So here I am with a useless firearm because it takes OpticsPlanet more than a week and counting to get in stock orders out of their warehouse. They refuse to answer a phone and they refuse to allow me to cancel the order. At this moment I have no idea when or if I will see my part I ordered or if I will get a refund. I swear to God I will never order from them again.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

Abominable. I've had close to $600 of product charged to my credit card three weeks ago, sitting in a "Being fulfilled" state when the site claims "most orders are now shipping in 1-3 days". They are not answering the phone, email communication is via robot, credibility is zero. I can't cancel the order because it's "Shipping", I'm about to turn them in to Chase Fraud investigations. Avoid Optics Planet like the plague!

OpticsPlanet.com Company Information