1.09/5

148 Guitar Center Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

Bought amp, paid, they said I canceled my order. I called. They said they ran out of product so it was best for them to say I canceled and it means that it is my fault so they don’t look bad or have to make it right for advertising product. They won’t sell for the price shown but if you have other product in your order they only cancel the product that’s being used for bait and switch to get you to order from them.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I've purchased several expensive items, guitars and amps, online from GC and have the same experience with shipping. Ordering items with 2nd day UPS Express Air does not mean you will get it in 2 business days. It means once UPS picks it up, add 2 days to that. I was told that on used instruments it takes longer to package them. Somewhere in their shipping policy they should have a notice regarding that. If they don't get around to shipping it for 3 or 4 days you have paid extra expecting to get it in 2 business days.

This time I actually asked for next day Air. They said it was going to be another 20.00. I told them, "No problem. Do it". When I get the invoice it said 2nd day Express Air. Had hoped to have it for a gig on Saturday but that didn't happen. They need to clarify their shipping policy regarding when you will actually get it. Oh and if you are expecting an item on Saturday, forget it unless you pay extra for Saturday delivery although I am pretty sure UPS has regular delivery on Saturday for regular Ground, Express and 2nd day air according to their website. There, got that off my chest.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2019

What can you say about totally incompetent employees that charge your PayPal account $120.00 and then send you some totally absurd cheap, no-brand bass drum foot pedal that cost $9.99? I called from North Carolina to the Guitar Center in Dallas, TX located on Central Expressway 6 times over a 2 day period. I never, ever received a return phone call from the manager... OR ANYONE!!! Finally I had to initiate a fraud resolutions complaint through PayPal and they now told me I won't get my $120 back for another 2 weeks!

This particular store exemplifies what is wrong with the current breed of millennial workers between the ages of 18 and 40. They have never been properly trained in all aspects of how to sell products, how to deal with customer problems, how to delegate or escalate problem research, and most of all: HOW TO PROPERLY APOLOGIZE AND TAKE OWNERSHIP OF THEIR OWN INCOMPETENCE!! You will never, ever hear a single sales associate take a personal interest in your plight and then apologize for their idiot mistake. I mean, really... You could train a chimpanzee to recognize the difference between a small, cheaply made foot pedal and a much heavier, larger snare drum stand!

I guarantee you that the mindless stooge sending out packages from their back storeroom was listening to LOUD MUSIC on their earbuds, OR they were too engaged with their DIGITAL COCAINE habit of TEXTING! For these reasons, the rest of the world of buyers is stuck with the current epidemic of INMATES RUNNING THE ASYLUMS! It is a very scary premonition of the worst employees our society now produces who will next breed another generation of even more incompetent, mindless idiots! Stop breathing in all those poisons from Chem Trails, people! Stop taking your attention deficit drugs!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I ordered a speaker and protective bag and got a price match. The unit they sent was clearly not new and did not come with the bag nor did I get a receipt for my records. I've made countless phone calls, several managers and salespeople, unanswered emails and phone messages, and even sent two letters to their corporate customer service. Same not new unit and no proof I even purchased it. To boot it turns out they never even carried the bag they were supposed to send, the girl that took the order got the wrong email, shipping, and billing address, allegedly put my purchase through a fraud check and managed to get a nearly $1000 charge through. I even sent a letter to corporate headquarters and have heard nothing. Never, ever again.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Admit to your mistakes. It cost my kid 3 zero for 3 events. She was not able to participate because you don't have your communication together. Because of your lack of customer service and communication mistakes like this wouldn't have been made.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guitar Center?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

A record was purchased for my daughter for Christmas. Every time we check on the progress we are given a new date. It’s now February 10th and we have been given another date, March 22nd. What is worse is when you contact customer support on the website through the chat bar, every time I get a rep that does not care about the customer at all. Not once out of all the reps I spoke to apologized for the long wait or tried to make me feel better in some way about it. They would just automatically say, "We can cancel your order," or they would disconnect from the chat. I will never purchase online from them again. I hope no one else makes that mistake either.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Went to the Guitar Center in Lexington KY to trade in an amp and cabinet. Stood at the counter for 15 min before they decided to help the man who came in after me (to sell a guitar) first. Thought to myself, "well mistakes happen sometimes, I'll just be patient". Waited another 20 min without even being acknowledged. In that 20 min, the employee at the other register helped someone else, then instead of helping me, it took him and two other employees to open a third register. By the time 40 min had passed I ran out of patience and left. This is not the first time I've been ignored there. The previous visit I stood waiting for help for 20 min while not 1, not 2, but 3 employees helped a woman in choosing a capo for her daughter.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I’m getting prepared to take Guitar Center to court and report them to BBB. I returned a new item in exchange for other items. They charged me one item higher than a new price and it was used. Tried to make up the difference and my money never went in the bank but came back as in store credit. I also dealt with a phone rep. For some reason they gave me 3 dollars less than what they both told me was on record. They sent me a defective item that came out to 194.00 total and I had warranties on all items. The man on the phone said I should get shipping since they did not properly check the item and sent me a defect. Out of the 194.00 they said I would get 186.00 and would not return the shipping.

I only recieved 72.00 from an item that they already owed me and told me my bank was to blame that they show nothing on their end. I dealt with my bank and have it all in writing plus they show nothing pending so out of 340 bucks all I have is a used distortion pedal and a used cheap fuzz pedal. Never really dealt with Cuitar Center and heard some bad things. But now it’s confirmed. I don’t care how good the employees mean to be. But this is not good. And this is not over. I have receipts, bank statements and everything and I will spread of this news across the web so this madness will stop! I will never do business with Guitar Center again and I’m a musician of 30 years.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I purchased what was presented as a used American-made Washburn WM526 (a good guitar). Guitar Center sent me an Indonesian copy. I complained, they apologized. I boxed it up and returned it. Huge pain and it all looked fishy, but, oh well. But then I see they took the guitar they were told (and then said they knew) was essentially a much cheaper knockoff and put it back online for the same price and once again labeled incorrectly as a wm526. I had given them the benefit of the doubt that they weren't trying to pull something over on me, but seeing they took the same instrument and reposted it with the same misrepresentations suggests somebody is trying to trick some beginner into paying more than they should.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I ordered a guitar online, after more than 2 weeks, I contact them and they tell me is back ordered with no known date, so I tell them if another color would be available, they say yes, I change the order and after 2 more weeks the order is again back ordered. And when I contact them they say they don't know if the guitar is available or not... Why do they do that? I will never order or buy anything at Guitar Center...

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I ordered Gift Card for Christmas per GC online promotion of get a 20$ bonus card per every 100$. I never received bonus Card!! I called numerous times to only find out they funnel these through a 3rd party (which you are not made aware of when purchasing online). I sent screenshots of the promotion along with my receipt of purchase, dated & times stamped. NO ONE has been in touch with me! What a headache! All for Christmas which has since passed & the isuue has yet to be resolved in weeks! False advertisement & a scam!! Buyer Beware!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I haven't shopped online in a year. I've been going to the store I input my email and password and since it has been a year I'm forced to reset my password. I have been back and forth with their CS department, I've called, chatted and emailed them for four days. Their customer service acts like they are too important to help. They are rude and an absolute self-entitled nightmare.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I called GC and asked for pricing and availability on a product. Joey ** quoted me a decent price and told me that the product was in stock. I had him check with the warehouse to verify that it was in stock and it was. This was important to me as this was a x-mas gift which needed to ship ASAP to arrive in time for the holiday. I paid with my credit card and then immediately got an e-mail from GC informing me that the product was back-ordered for another month. I called and spoke with someone else and they told me that this item had been back-ordered for a while... I was furious! I had him cancel the order and it took GC an entire week to credit my credit card. Do not trust these people. They will say anything to capture the sale, take your money fast and then take a week to credit you when it doesn't work out... You have been warned!!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I ordered a Ibanez Paul Stanley back on November 24th. When I ordered it I asked the sales person when it would ship out because I wanted to make sure I received it by Christmas as it was a gift for my 16 year old son. He told me it would ship out on Monday. When it ended up not shipping on Monday I started a chat online. This person told me it was back ordered and would ship out on 12/14. I was hesitant at first and told the person that perhaps I should just order it from Amazon as they had it in stock at the time. He told me that I was free to do that, but he was confident I would have it by Christmas. I really wanted to order from your company as I have purchased through you before. I let the order continue.

I emailed customer service in regards to my concern with the ship date. Brianna emailed me back giving me complimentary 2 day shipping to give me some cushion. And to quote her email "It looks like your item should ship and deliver on time!" At one point at the beginning of December I noticed on the website that the expected ship date was not 1/31/19.

I chatted again with an agent making sure that my guitar was still on schedule to ship 12/14 and not 1/31 as the website was saying. He told me that I reserved the guitar when the ship date said 12/14 so that is when it will ship. All reserves put in at this time are pushed to the 1/31 date. I said, "Great. Thank you." and went on my way. So, Wednesday 12/12, I could not remember at this point whether the date was 12/12 or 12/14 that the guitar was supposed to ship. So I chatted them one more time to double check. Asked them if it was still on schedule to ship this week. He told me yes! It was set to ship out on Friday.

This brings me to today. When my guitar still wasn't shipped. I chatted with a Jeff who claimed to be management. He told me that my guitar would not ship until 2/2. When I told him how disappointed I was because of the obvious runaround I received, he told me to check the website and email him with some possible replacements and he would give me a discounted price. I did this. He came back with 15% off the price. A discount that is offered to all customers through the website. When I told him I was not satisfied with the 15% as this is a promo offered to all customers not a rate that is offered to someone you are trying to compensate he told me that that is the only promo running at this time and he wished there was more he could do to help me and to keep me as a customer. I told him offering me the discount offered to every other customer shows just how far he is willing to go to keep me as a customer, so no thank you!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I placed a order for a new in stock Kremona Fiesta FC Classical Acoustical guitar from their website. Days passed and never received a shipping confirmation. I phoned GC for status. They said three were available. One store was getting my order ready. Two days later a email from GC said I canceled the order??? I called them again. Then they said PayPal denied the payment?? I offered to use a credit card and asked them to call the store to process only to discover all three were just sold BUT they had a used same model for $100.00 less. You Decide and good luck.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I entered their store about an hour after opening. No one was at the desk. I stood there for several minutes. I had brought a guitar for appraisal. Basically no one was interested in me. They ignored me. No one made eye contact or smiled or asked if they could help. I spoke to people who had been waiting 15 minutes or more. They have terrible customer service. I have been in retail 18 years and I know that if I treated my customers like this I'd be fired. So bad customer service, no visible security. It seemed as though no one cared about anything.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

That person from the call center who served me is called either Michael or Jake. Beware of him cause he's such a careless person. He sent my product to my previous address though we confirmed the address I'm in now through chat. I was so disappointed because I didn't know he couldn't read and operate the system properly.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I spent hours trying to find the right guitar on the different big guitar websites. Guitar Center web page showed the exact guitar I wanted at a good price with a 15% discount. So I bought it. First, discount wasn't applied. Okay called next day and they fixed that. Then waited, received NO notice of shipping. Called and they told me, "oh sorry we don't actually have that guitar anymore!" When were they going to tell me??? If I hadn't called, no telling how long. But, they said they found a damaged one at a store I could have for $50 less. Unbelievable! They had a similar model but were zero motivated to give me the same discount.

So basically they sold me something they did not have and DID NOT CARE ONE BIT about letting me down. And they did NOTHING to make it right. Huge waste of time and ruined my guitar buying experience. When I asked for email or phone for higher up so I could relay what happened, put on hold and then offered some 'accessories'. They really didn't want me talking to anyone at their company. I will NEVER buy from them again and offer this cautionary tale. When I checked other reviews here, the first one I read was about the exact same thing happening to someone else.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Today I took my 40+ year old antique Hawaiian ukulele in to be restrung. We waited almost an hour for the technician who had gone out for a cigarette and finally another guy took our info and said he'd pass it along when the technician came back. A couple hours later we returned to get it and found the natural strings had been replaced with white strings, and a couple chunks had been chipped out of the wood - Jeremy the technician said "oops - sometimes that happens when you cut the strings." He also said it probably wouldn't stay in tune because of the strings he put on it. That's the reason I took it to be restrung in the first place! I am not pleased. This was a sentimental souvenir from my 16th birthday. I can use a wood marker or something, but it will never be as nice as when I took it into Guitar Center. Next time I will find a music store with people who actually care.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I ordered a pair of used dark hi-hat cymbals and a used dark ride cymbal with rush shipping. However what I got was a used dry crash and a different set of hi-hats from what I thought I had ordered. I called before they shipped to confirm the correct items were shipping, and Judd did indeed confirm that my dark hi-hats and dark ride were being prepped to shipped. He had lied to me and now they will not ship the cymbal that I actually paid for until they get their dry crash cymbal back, as if I ever wanted the thing in the first place. Now I have to wait for UPS to decide to come pick it up since I don’t have a car to bring it to UPS myself.

I'm deciding to keep the wrong hi-hats because they said they may (maybe not?) Give me a discount. I feel violated, but to their credit they did refund me for shipping...that’s the only thing they have done that is not reprehensible. I expected on Thursday the best cymbals of my 17 years drumming and I got a series of headaches and indifference from the GC employees. Now I have no idea when I'll get what I paid for. I can't believe I went with Guitar Center. No wonder their reviews are so low. What a mistake.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have been playing for over 40 years and just purchased a used Zager 80 guitar in great condition for $1,000. I was so excited to receive it last night I thought I might burst. I had never spent this much on a guitar so, this was a big deal. I can't tell you how very disappointing it was to receive my guitar in such deplorable condition. The scratch on the back did not bother me nor did the two places on the front where someone had repaired the guitar.

What did really bother me was the crooked neck, high string action, totally worn off frets and all the glue that was left from a sloppy repair job that was done to repair a broken neck and the big crack where the truss rod starts on the neck, noise from shaking the guitar, improperly glued braces that no one took the time to notch out along with more glue overflow that was obviously not used at the same time the guitar was built. From the neck being broken you can imagine how many other things were wrong. I am blown away that Guitar Center is putting a guitar that someone broke and simply do some 5 cent repair job to pass it off to me as in great shape.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy from Guitar Center unless you want a piece of crap and to be taken advantage of. As for their return policy... The nearest store is more than 2 hours away and they told me on the phone that I would need to contact the store that actually sent it to me and passed the buck. I have been trying for two days to get a return shipping label with no luck yet. Why should I have to pay for any part of this scam?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

They sold me an item online that they didn't actually have. I'm now waiting 5-7 days for them to return my money, so I don't have the money to buy the item necessary for my gig on Saturday. I'm hoping that they will at least manage to return the full amount including shipping, but the invoice they sent doesn't seem to include it. My god, you should have seen the email they sent. A fourth grader could have done better. Stay away.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Horrible, horrible customer service. Ordered a piano online, which showed up in a very beaten up box and with part of the stand cracked. Had most of the piano out of the box by the time we got to the cracked board. Called immediately and was told we could get the part replaced, but would have to wait until they get more in. Have been contacting them for over a month now and getting no help with the issue. Even had them pressure us to purchase Pro Coverage, which wouldn't even cover this since it's cosmetic anyway. Now they are making us return it (good thing we kept the box) and get a new one. I have no idea how we'll get it back in the beaten box though. The number of times I've had to contact them to follow up is such a poor use of my time. Not to mention having to assemble then disassemble then assemble another piano. No respect for their customers and their time. Will not be shopping with Guitar Center again.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I tried playing Taylor, Gibson, Martin, Takamine, Yamaha, Seagull guitars but only DEMO models seem to be on sale. Also sale prices seem to be more expensive than manufacturers recommended price! How can you call this a sale? Do you actually have new guitars for sale? It appears not so! Even with your so called sale price or 15 percent discount. Not very honest at all! I would have liked to have purchased either a Gibson Les Paul or maybe a Fender Telecaster U.S.A. made but you can't seem to offer new guitars. Only demo models. Or tell me to purchase through the internet. Not with the program buddy! I’ll have to purchase elsewhere I guess! I pity the salesperson trying to sell OLD gear as new and "this is the last one" philosophy! Poor show all around.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Don't get me wrong, in most cases the sales associates (the ones working on the floor) know their gear, but it's the way they act and treat you that make you feel embarrassed when you don't buy the high-end stuff. I purchased a used guitar from Guitarcenter.com and when I went to the store to pick it up the associate went and got it from the back then set it by the exit door and walked away without even giving me a receipt. I had to flag down another associate, and when I told him the package was just left there by the door, he who told me to "not be shy" about asking for help as he opened the package up so it could be inspected, and sure enough it was damaged.

The fretboard was cracked near the headstock and the nut wasn't even set in all the way because it was too WIDE to fit in the space properly therefore it was set in crooked (and no one happened to notice this before they shipped it?). One of the guitar techs came over and looked at it and the first thing he did was act shocked that it was made in China, and not one of their holy grail MIM Fenders. Then went on about how great the Fenders are because they're made in Mexico (probably by 10 year olds in sweatshops).

So I think the associates are snobs that get upset when you buy stuff online because then they don't get commission when you don't buy the floor models. They constantly overrate their used products online. This guitar was listed in "great condition" even though it had a cracked headstock and who knows what ELSE is wrong with it! They sent it in for repairs because supposedly their in-store luthiers can't repair instruments, they just charge to $50 to put a $15 set of strings on.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Guitar Center needs to re-evaluate it's financing partners. I have nearly an 800 credit score, I make on average $15k a month, and have no debt other than a student loan yet I was denied credit. They just lost a lot of business.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I called this morning about a simple thing: a Ludwig 22" bass drum head with a vintage Ludwig logo on it. I asked for a price. I was told by an associate that he had to call the Ludwig company and get back to me. I never heard back from him. How hard is that? It will be good if they go down the tubes. Then all the small, specialty musical instrument shops they put out of business will return.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I have a gift card for Guitar Center, so I intended to use it (plus some additional from my credit card) to buy some software I have been wanting. First, they said they could not obtain an authorization for my credit card (which was not in any way a questionable card), then they said they could not obtain an authorization for my other card (which also was certainly not questionable). I tried to chat, but received an error message. I tried to email, but was told that the page didn't exist. It really sounds like they don't want my business (or the business of anybody I can influence, for that matter). Maybe I can use the gift card in the store (or - wishful thinking - at Sweetwater).

Original review: July 29, 2018

I've been a musician for over 30 years, and have been to many Guitar Centers all over California from Oxnard to Roseville, which brings me to this post. Roseville Guitar Center? Go to Sacramento! Every single time I have to go to this store (Sac sometimes the system goes down) I leave in a bad mood! The workers are rude, always will low ball you with gear, and the few items that they have, are overpriced. My fellow shredders, avoid this ** store!

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have purchased several acoustic guitars over the years from different GC locations. The customer service at most locations have progressively got worse to terrible at some locations. This includes department sales people that have very little if any knowledge of the items they are selling, unfriendly interaction during phone conversations, being placed on hold for several minutes and then terminating your call and never being called back when the personnel takes your number and states they will call you back.

There are also misleading and erroneous descriptions of the condition of some of the items I have purchased resulting in the return of items. Returning an item via by a delivery service can be a problem also since the nearest location to a GC is over 200 miles. The problem may be due to under-staffing but there is a definite issue with some of the locations I have dealt with. In store customer experiences may be great but not online or call in interactions.

Guitar Center Company Information