3.4/5 (1033 ratings)

About Guitar Center

Guitar Center Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guitar Center?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

Guitar Center was unable to match me with a suitable, in-person instructor for lessons. I paid for my lesson package in-full prior to meeting with an instructor, but the only instructor provided was not a good fit. I asked for either a new instructor during my availability, or the refund for all remaining lessons. Guitar Center could not accommodate my schedule, and it would not refund any amount. Guitar Center offers a 45-day money back guarantee on instruments, but nothing on lessons - You will be stuck with whatever they give you - buyer beware!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2022

I placed an order for two speakers mid October, at $269.99 each; After a week or so, I still couldn't see any dispatch notification, so I called up, and was told they went out of stock. I was expecting it in two business days. Fine. On Black Friday, I thought I'd give it another try, and the online chat told me they have them in stock at $349.99 each, with 15% Black Friday discount, which amounts to $297.49 each, which is still nearly $30 more expensive than my previous unsuccessful order. I hence asked why and whether they could honor my previous order price, but was told no, because my previous order was 'clearance' item, and the current ones are 'brand new'. I went back to my email looking for words indicating they weren't 'brand-new', but couldn't find anything indicating 'non-brand-new' products. This is just straight dishonest. I will not bring business to a dishonest merchandiser like this any more.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2022

Last Friday afternoon, I bought a used Fender Stratocaster from guitarcenter.com. On next Monday of my purchase, I received an email about the verification of my credit card transaction and they told me to call my bank whether everything is alright or not (there was no problem with my credit card at all). After a few hour of verification, my order's status has changed to 'backordered'. Then I called the store which they had the used gear, and the guy said we sold it in store on Saturday and the stocking manager works on weekdays that's why they did not update the stocks. Since they did not update it, they didn't leave any note on the guitar to prevent in-store customers to buy it. The thing is I BOUGHT the gear before the in-store customer.

After that I called the guitar center customer service, they told me that, ''Your gear is sold because your credit card transaction was processing and so the order since it was out of working hours.'' And I cancelled my order later that day. Hey Guitar Center web site developers, if you are reading this, fix that bug on your website. The online orders that require verification does not mean that the order will be cancelled! My message to customers who will buy used gear from guitar center is: Please buy the used gear in-person, not online! They don't care whether you buy it before or after the in-person customer.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

Ordered a guitar on the website, it said in stock and will ship out same day. NOT TRUE! After waiting several days for an email saying it has shipped, I called and asked if it has shipped yet. Got a guy whom I couldn't understand and he says it MIGHT ship out tomorrow... They don't have it in their store... But they sure took my money out of my bank! This is not the first time they have done this to me. If they say it's in stock I wouldn't believe it. Try Sweetwater music for your next order, they seem pretty honest and it's probably going to be cheaper as well.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

I ordered a bundle of 3 sets of guitar strings + a tuner from their website. After a month, they cancelled my order. They claimed that they were out of stock, even though they were clearly selling both the strings and the tuner. They refused to fill the order, but offered to sell me the same items individually at a higher price. In response to a Better Business Bureau complaint, they promised to "have an agent reach out to assist you with a resolution," but nobody ever contacted me.

Original review: July 12, 2022

I went to the Guitar Center in Palm Beach on Okeechobee Florida to sell or trade my gear. They claim they give top dollar for trade-ins. Well guess what? They cut my price by more than half. I looked on their showroom floor and saw the same system on the floor in worst condition. May I say mine is fairly new. List at $1,299 for each unit but offered me $550 per unit. Worst than car dealers.

Original review: July 7, 2022

My goal is to guide other buyers when purchasing at Guitar Center. My son (drummer) and I went to visit the store in Paramus NJ, he saw a drum set on the floor that he really like being sold as a floor demo. I know it's considered used and warranty could be limited, I get it. The issue is that after we paid and went to picked it up, we were told that one of the items on displayed with the drum set, being essential to the unit was not part of the sale, even though it was displayed as part of the product with no label starting that it was not part of the deal.

After the rest of the set was already paid for and in our car, I had no choice but to pay for it separately. The salesperson who happen to be very friendly had no words to excused his management that with poor tactics ended up collecting more money from us once again with "false advertisement". Please don't be a victim and make sure to report them if this happens to you as well. Very disappointing experience.

Original review: May 10, 2022

Purchased a used guitar that was stated in ad to be in "good condition" but in reality was unplayable due to it's electrical components no longer functioning. Thus the price paid was not warranted by it's assertion that it was in "good condition" with their excessive shipping charges, my purchase was foolish via their invalid condition statement. Conclusion" "buyer beware" applies as Guitar sells over priced guitars via invalid sales information used to entice trusting consumers like me.

Original review: April 29, 2022

I placed an order for an open conga set and the sales rep lied to me, saying it was a whole set of 4 congas. I only received one conga. When I called customer services, they told me to return it and place a new order for the whole set, which I did. Only to be lied again with just one conga. Guitar Center is not to be trusted.

Original review: April 22, 2022

I ordered a Jackson guitar on the 6th of April, 2022. The guitar didn't ship out until the 11th for whatever reason even though it was in stock and it said it was being delivered the next day. The next day rolls around and it says it's "out for delivery" and I wait all day (I work from home) and no one showed up. I figured it would be delivered the next day. It didn't and each day it continued to say "out for delivery" and that someone "attempted to deliver" it at 10:41 PM each night. I called UPS and they told me that was weird since they don't even drive that late, let alone it being the same time every night. So eventually a few days passed of this mess and I go into the actual UPS center it's supposed to be at since I can't get anywhere with the guitar center people or UPS on the phone. They straight up tell me they do not have the guitar and they cannot find it in the warehouse or on any of the trucks.

I told Guitar Center this and they opened a claim, and they told me if nothing was found by Monday, April 18th, they would refund me. Well, Monday rolls around and no one calls me or anything. So I jump on the chat with them and they tell me they cannot refund me until they look into it further, even though I went on UPS's website and put return to sender on the package so it can stop with the "out for deliver" infinite loop, so that was proof I didn't have the guitar nor was it going to be coming to me. I showed them the tracking and told them what the previous reps said and they wouldn't budge. So I finally went through my bank and filed a claim because this was getting ridiculous.

Every guitar center rep would cut me off saying they understood, but would give me no information and would just say we're looking into it. It is now Friday, April 22nd, still no guitar, and finally got a refund THROUGH MY BANK. I will NEVER order through this company again. It's been an absolute nightmare. They lost my package, and there was proof in the tracking and they still wouldn't refund me. Worst customer service I've ever dealt with. My bank even said the whole process they put me through was very sketchy and they were shocked they hadn't refunded my money.

Guitar Center Company Information