3.25/5

160 Guitar Center Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 19, 2019

Ordered a clarinet online for an assumed great sale, over a month ago. I called to ask them to send the clarinet to local store, rather than home, 2 weeks ago, and the customer representative said nothing about the price, just that tax would be a bit higher. Today, I got a call stating that there was an IT mistake and they cancelled the order, and sent me an e-mail saying "We're sorry you changed your mind, but we're excited to help you find your sound, so give us a call—we're always here to help." They claim it was an error - but their e-mail makes it sound like I canceled my order, instead of an apology. Perhaps it was a bait and switch. Very unhappy that it took them over 30 days to find their "error." My son was expecting a great birthday gift and now he's got nothing.

Original review: June 18, 2019

When a website says there will be no charge for a pre-order until it ships, and then the charge shows up as pending in your bank, I would consider that a lie. I called customer service to cancel my order, and the dude argued with me saying "Well it's only pending." I told him that this is a stupid policy and that the website language needs to be changed and he got defensive. Stupid company, stupid policy, misleading language on the website that should be illegal. Will buy elsewhere from now on.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have been dealing with an issue for 7 months over an online amp purchase. Took them three times to get my online order right. Then after 2 months of trying to get pro coverage on my purchase I called Corporate office and they assured me they took care of it and the charge had gone through my Gear Card. 5 months after that I find an unauthorized charge on my bank statement. Again I call Customer Service getting the same run around, they did not follow through and contact me back. Again I call Corporate and they have a manager from customer service call me back who tells me it is a charge for the Pro Coverage. What a huge let down. I will not be buying from them in the future.

Original review: May 23, 2019

We have use Guitar Center for many many years, so when we were looking for a new subwoofer to get for an event for Memorial Day, we went with a company we had always trusted. We called an actual storefront who said it was in stock, in store and could be shipped. We called on a Friday and were told it would arrive no later than Wednesday. Well Monday we noticed no email of shipment was sent so we called. What a joke. The guy said that it hadn’t sent because the billing address and shipping address weren’t the same. This was fully discussed on the phone Friday with the store!!

We live in a small area and the local store gets our shipments. Plus if there was a shipping issue companies always call or email about an issue. Then they said they could rush the order for $50, and we should feel lucky since it’s usually $100+ to do that. Uh no, not our fault they failed in communication. They offered to pay. Then when Tuesday passes, no email, we were about to call when they called us to say they don’t show one in stock so no idea when we will get one!!! Plus there is a charge of $100.66 on my card and the credit card company called about fraud! Needless to say order cancelled and future business is over. Based on the latest reviews this company is lost. So sad.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Purchased a used electric guitar online, it arrived quickly well packaged, however when opened I found missing parts and some of the electronics were not connected. Website description stated it was in "good usable condition showing normal use". It was not usable. Upon contacting them I was told I would be contacted regarding the problem, that was more than a week ago, still no answer from them. I would (ADVISE) you to avoid this company at all cost. A complete rip-off outfit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guitar Center?

Original review: May 6, 2019

Guitar Center in Mesquite, Texas. I certify that this review is based on my own experience and is my genuine opinion of this business, and that I have no personal or business relationship with this organization. I agree to the Consumer Affairs Terms of Use. Zero tolerance policy. The store manager are biased, discriminatory and cold to people period. Not just customers. I have witnessed Carol degrading students & customers behind their backs when she didn't realize I was behind her looking at the music books & my roommate was next to her as she laughed at people struggling. From what I saw, she also has no education or history in music while degrading struggling artists.

Erin does nothing as manager to stop it. I feel this is Erin's way of supporting discrimination inside the store. I also saw them use a homeless man who was highly educated in music on two separate occasions about 3 months apart to sell guitars for them (in the store) with promises of a job that never emerged. Erin did not see the sales but was informed about the store using a homeless guy to make sales and promote the store & did nothing about it. He was homeless but clean cut enough to be presentable. And there are some other things I may say soon based on facts & witnesses that are willing to come forward. I have been told on this page by Kenneth ** of Guitar Center to write to Guitar Center about my experiences with G.C. on this page. But have never gotten a response.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Bought $2500 worth of guitar amps and it was packed so bad the puffy filling was all over my lawn. The tubes were knocked out. They charged me $100 for this kind of shippings. Looks like a five year old did this.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I couldn't find anyone to unlock a guitar in the acoustic room. After asking for help and even being told "I will go get the keys" no one helped me. I'm done with GC. Lousy service, untrained staff, understaffed stores. I'm amazed they are still in business. Local stores and Reverb, here I come. Wasted my time and a buddy's time -- he came to look with me, listen and play. At least he got dinner for his time and trouble. He was disgusted, too. Never again.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I've been shopping on the internet for a decade and I've only had problems twice. Once I purchased a font from an Austrian font foundry at a website that was not secure. My information was lifted. Not a surprise. The second time was a week after giving my credit card information over the phone to GUITAR CENTER. I had ordered 8 MIDI cables and they were not at their WAREHOUSE. So Guitar Center said they were at the store level and would pull there. First they needed to cancel my order then receive my credit card information over the phone to send them. Knowing I had initiated the call to them, I gave my information.

A week later I'm getting charges in Portland Maine at over 100 a pop at Papa John's Pizza and Chipotles online. I eat at home. I cook at home. To make matters worse the bank said my information may have been lifted at an ATM. I only use one ATM at a market close by. It is unfortunate that my bank wanted me to blame the ** people that own the MINI MART, when I KNOW FOR A FACT IT WAS ** TRASH that took my information. Portland MAINE. ** UGLY FOLK like Stephen King.

Original review: April 18, 2019

My experience in buying used gear from Guitar Center is terrible, at best. I have come to the conclusion their system is void of any level of integrity. I have been lied to, manipulated, and tricked more times than not. I have been satisfied on one purchase, a powered speaker that was a decent price and came in as described, with the power cord. However, on two other purchases, one powered speaker was in poor condition with rust embedded into it, many scratches, and even multiple holes drilled into it. The store rep in Webster Texas defended the "Good" condition label, siting it could have minor flaws and still be considered "Good" condition. It was "Poor" clearly.

Another occasion a powered speaker was missing its powered cord. Another occasion a dual band eq was missing its power cord. On another occasion a powered speaker was actually not mechanically sound. A light was not coming on in front of the amp to let you know when it's powered on, and it had a very obvious low volume issue which made it not usable in my band. All of these problems, in my opinion, were obvious to the store who packaged up the items and sent them away to my local store. On every occasion they were dishonest and on almost every occasion my Webster store defended them.

Although my local store was willing to give a refund or order another speaker or whatever, each time I had to wait again for that long process before a replacement item arrived. One occasion the replacement item even had to be replaced. One occasion they tried to sell me the missing power cord! This system has zero integrity. It is merely a way for stores to screw one another by dumping their problem gear on another store. In the meantime, the customers get to wait extended amounts of time to re-order until something finally shows up that has all its parts and is in actual working condition.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I ordered a new digital piano for my daughter. Was told 3 -5 days for shipping. Never showed up. I called and they said it was discontinued and they could send me a floor model. I told them to cancel my order. Terrible. My daughter who is taking lessons could not practice. Jerks!

Original review: March 28, 2019

Ordered "new" online. They called and said it was new, but it was a out of the box, floor model. They asked if I still wanted it. I said no. What a disappointment. The online ad should have plainly indicated that it was a used product.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Bought amp, paid, they said I canceled my order. I called. They said they ran out of product so it was best for them to say I canceled and it means that it is my fault so they don’t look bad or have to make it right for advertising product. They won’t sell for the price shown but if you have other product in your order they only cancel the product that’s being used for bait and switch to get you to order from them.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I've purchased several expensive items, guitars and amps, online from GC and have the same experience with shipping. Ordering items with 2nd day UPS Express Air does not mean you will get it in 2 business days. It means once UPS picks it up, add 2 days to that. I was told that on used instruments it takes longer to package them. Somewhere in their shipping policy they should have a notice regarding that. If they don't get around to shipping it for 3 or 4 days you have paid extra expecting to get it in 2 business days.

This time I actually asked for next day Air. They said it was going to be another 20.00. I told them, "No problem. Do it". When I get the invoice it said 2nd day Express Air. Had hoped to have it for a gig on Saturday but that didn't happen. They need to clarify their shipping policy regarding when you will actually get it. Oh and if you are expecting an item on Saturday, forget it unless you pay extra for Saturday delivery although I am pretty sure UPS has regular delivery on Saturday for regular Ground, Express and 2nd day air according to their website. There, got that off my chest.

Original review: March 1, 2019

What can you say about totally incompetent employees that charge your PayPal account $120.00 and then send you some totally absurd cheap, no-brand bass drum foot pedal that cost $9.99? I called from North Carolina to the Guitar Center in Dallas, TX located on Central Expressway 6 times over a 2 day period. I never, ever received a return phone call from the manager... OR ANYONE!!! Finally I had to initiate a fraud resolutions complaint through PayPal and they now told me I won't get my $120 back for another 2 weeks!

This particular store exemplifies what is wrong with the current breed of millennial workers between the ages of 18 and 40. They have never been properly trained in all aspects of how to sell products, how to deal with customer problems, how to delegate or escalate problem research, and most of all: HOW TO PROPERLY APOLOGIZE AND TAKE OWNERSHIP OF THEIR OWN INCOMPETENCE!! You will never, ever hear a single sales associate take a personal interest in your plight and then apologize for their idiot mistake. I mean, really... You could train a chimpanzee to recognize the difference between a small, cheaply made foot pedal and a much heavier, larger snare drum stand!

I guarantee you that the mindless stooge sending out packages from their back storeroom was listening to LOUD MUSIC on their earbuds, OR they were too engaged with their DIGITAL COCAINE habit of TEXTING! For these reasons, the rest of the world of buyers is stuck with the current epidemic of INMATES RUNNING THE ASYLUMS! It is a very scary premonition of the worst employees our society now produces who will next breed another generation of even more incompetent, mindless idiots! Stop breathing in all those poisons from Chem Trails, people! Stop taking your attention deficit drugs!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I ordered a speaker and protective bag and got a price match. The unit they sent was clearly not new and did not come with the bag nor did I get a receipt for my records. I've made countless phone calls, several managers and salespeople, unanswered emails and phone messages, and even sent two letters to their corporate customer service. Same not new unit and no proof I even purchased it. To boot it turns out they never even carried the bag they were supposed to send, the girl that took the order got the wrong email, shipping, and billing address, allegedly put my purchase through a fraud check and managed to get a nearly $1000 charge through. I even sent a letter to corporate headquarters and have heard nothing. Never, ever again.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Admit to your mistakes. It cost my kid 3 zero for 3 events. She was not able to participate because you don't have your communication together. Because of your lack of customer service and communication mistakes like this wouldn't have been made.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

A record was purchased for my daughter for Christmas. Every time we check on the progress we are given a new date. It’s now February 10th and we have been given another date, March 22nd. What is worse is when you contact customer support on the website through the chat bar, every time I get a rep that does not care about the customer at all. Not once out of all the reps I spoke to apologized for the long wait or tried to make me feel better in some way about it. They would just automatically say, "We can cancel your order," or they would disconnect from the chat. I will never purchase online from them again. I hope no one else makes that mistake either.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Went to the Guitar Center in Lexington KY to trade in an amp and cabinet. Stood at the counter for 15 min before they decided to help the man who came in after me (to sell a guitar) first. Thought to myself, "well mistakes happen sometimes, I'll just be patient". Waited another 20 min without even being acknowledged. In that 20 min, the employee at the other register helped someone else, then instead of helping me, it took him and two other employees to open a third register. By the time 40 min had passed I ran out of patience and left. This is not the first time I've been ignored there. The previous visit I stood waiting for help for 20 min while not 1, not 2, but 3 employees helped a woman in choosing a capo for her daughter.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I’m getting prepared to take Guitar Center to court and report them to BBB. I returned a new item in exchange for other items. They charged me one item higher than a new price and it was used. Tried to make up the difference and my money never went in the bank but came back as in store credit. I also dealt with a phone rep. For some reason they gave me 3 dollars less than what they both told me was on record. They sent me a defective item that came out to 194.00 total and I had warranties on all items. The man on the phone said I should get shipping since they did not properly check the item and sent me a defect. Out of the 194.00 they said I would get 186.00 and would not return the shipping.

I only recieved 72.00 from an item that they already owed me and told me my bank was to blame that they show nothing on their end. I dealt with my bank and have it all in writing plus they show nothing pending so out of 340 bucks all I have is a used distortion pedal and a used cheap fuzz pedal. Never really dealt with Cuitar Center and heard some bad things. But now it’s confirmed. I don’t care how good the employees mean to be. But this is not good. And this is not over. I have receipts, bank statements and everything and I will spread of this news across the web so this madness will stop! I will never do business with Guitar Center again and I’m a musician of 30 years.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I purchased what was presented as a used American-made Washburn WM526 (a good guitar). Guitar Center sent me an Indonesian copy. I complained, they apologized. I boxed it up and returned it. Huge pain and it all looked fishy, but, oh well. But then I see they took the guitar they were told (and then said they knew) was essentially a much cheaper knockoff and put it back online for the same price and once again labeled incorrectly as a wm526. I had given them the benefit of the doubt that they weren't trying to pull something over on me, but seeing they took the same instrument and reposted it with the same misrepresentations suggests somebody is trying to trick some beginner into paying more than they should.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I ordered a guitar online, after more than 2 weeks, I contact them and they tell me is back ordered with no known date, so I tell them if another color would be available, they say yes, I change the order and after 2 more weeks the order is again back ordered. And when I contact them they say they don't know if the guitar is available or not... Why do they do that? I will never order or buy anything at Guitar Center...

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I ordered Gift Card for Christmas per GC online promotion of get a 20$ bonus card per every 100$. I never received bonus Card!! I called numerous times to only find out they funnel these through a 3rd party (which you are not made aware of when purchasing online). I sent screenshots of the promotion along with my receipt of purchase, dated & times stamped. NO ONE has been in touch with me! What a headache! All for Christmas which has since passed & the isuue has yet to be resolved in weeks! False advertisement & a scam!! Buyer Beware!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I haven't shopped online in a year. I've been going to the store I input my email and password and since it has been a year I'm forced to reset my password. I have been back and forth with their CS department, I've called, chatted and emailed them for four days. Their customer service acts like they are too important to help. They are rude and an absolute self-entitled nightmare.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I called GC and asked for pricing and availability on a product. Joey ** quoted me a decent price and told me that the product was in stock. I had him check with the warehouse to verify that it was in stock and it was. This was important to me as this was a x-mas gift which needed to ship ASAP to arrive in time for the holiday. I paid with my credit card and then immediately got an e-mail from GC informing me that the product was back-ordered for another month. I called and spoke with someone else and they told me that this item had been back-ordered for a while... I was furious! I had him cancel the order and it took GC an entire week to credit my credit card. Do not trust these people. They will say anything to capture the sale, take your money fast and then take a week to credit you when it doesn't work out... You have been warned!!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I ordered a Ibanez Paul Stanley back on November 24th. When I ordered it I asked the sales person when it would ship out because I wanted to make sure I received it by Christmas as it was a gift for my 16 year old son. He told me it would ship out on Monday. When it ended up not shipping on Monday I started a chat online. This person told me it was back ordered and would ship out on 12/14. I was hesitant at first and told the person that perhaps I should just order it from Amazon as they had it in stock at the time. He told me that I was free to do that, but he was confident I would have it by Christmas. I really wanted to order from your company as I have purchased through you before. I let the order continue.

I emailed customer service in regards to my concern with the ship date. Brianna emailed me back giving me complimentary 2 day shipping to give me some cushion. And to quote her email "It looks like your item should ship and deliver on time!" At one point at the beginning of December I noticed on the website that the expected ship date was not 1/31/19.

I chatted again with an agent making sure that my guitar was still on schedule to ship 12/14 and not 1/31 as the website was saying. He told me that I reserved the guitar when the ship date said 12/14 so that is when it will ship. All reserves put in at this time are pushed to the 1/31 date. I said, "Great. Thank you." and went on my way. So, Wednesday 12/12, I could not remember at this point whether the date was 12/12 or 12/14 that the guitar was supposed to ship. So I chatted them one more time to double check. Asked them if it was still on schedule to ship this week. He told me yes! It was set to ship out on Friday.

This brings me to today. When my guitar still wasn't shipped. I chatted with a Jeff who claimed to be management. He told me that my guitar would not ship until 2/2. When I told him how disappointed I was because of the obvious runaround I received, he told me to check the website and email him with some possible replacements and he would give me a discounted price. I did this. He came back with 15% off the price. A discount that is offered to all customers through the website. When I told him I was not satisfied with the 15% as this is a promo offered to all customers not a rate that is offered to someone you are trying to compensate he told me that that is the only promo running at this time and he wished there was more he could do to help me and to keep me as a customer. I told him offering me the discount offered to every other customer shows just how far he is willing to go to keep me as a customer, so no thank you!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I placed a order for a new in stock Kremona Fiesta FC Classical Acoustical guitar from their website. Days passed and never received a shipping confirmation. I phoned GC for status. They said three were available. One store was getting my order ready. Two days later a email from GC said I canceled the order??? I called them again. Then they said PayPal denied the payment?? I offered to use a credit card and asked them to call the store to process only to discover all three were just sold BUT they had a used same model for $100.00 less. You Decide and good luck.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I entered their store about an hour after opening. No one was at the desk. I stood there for several minutes. I had brought a guitar for appraisal. Basically no one was interested in me. They ignored me. No one made eye contact or smiled or asked if they could help. I spoke to people who had been waiting 15 minutes or more. They have terrible customer service. I have been in retail 18 years and I know that if I treated my customers like this I'd be fired. So bad customer service, no visible security. It seemed as though no one cared about anything.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

That person from the call center who served me is called either Michael or Jake. Beware of him cause he's such a careless person. He sent my product to my previous address though we confirmed the address I'm in now through chat. I was so disappointed because I didn't know he couldn't read and operate the system properly.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I spent hours trying to find the right guitar on the different big guitar websites. Guitar Center web page showed the exact guitar I wanted at a good price with a 15% discount. So I bought it. First, discount wasn't applied. Okay called next day and they fixed that. Then waited, received NO notice of shipping. Called and they told me, "oh sorry we don't actually have that guitar anymore!" When were they going to tell me??? If I hadn't called, no telling how long. But, they said they found a damaged one at a store I could have for $50 less. Unbelievable! They had a similar model but were zero motivated to give me the same discount.

So basically they sold me something they did not have and DID NOT CARE ONE BIT about letting me down. And they did NOTHING to make it right. Huge waste of time and ruined my guitar buying experience. When I asked for email or phone for higher up so I could relay what happened, put on hold and then offered some 'accessories'. They really didn't want me talking to anyone at their company. I will NEVER buy from them again and offer this cautionary tale. When I checked other reviews here, the first one I read was about the exact same thing happening to someone else.

Guitar Center Company Information