3.4/5 (1028 ratings)

About Guitar Center

Guitar Center Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guitar Center?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guitar Center?

Original review: July 12, 2022

I went to the Guitar Center in Palm Beach on Okeechobee Florida to sell or trade my gear. They claim they give top dollar for trade-ins. Well guess what? They cut my price by more than half. I looked on their showroom floor and saw the same system on the floor in worst condition. May I say mine is fairly new. List at $1,299 for each unit but offered me $550 per unit. Worst than car dealers.

Original review: July 7, 2022

My goal is to guide other buyers when purchasing at Guitar Center. My son (drummer) and I went to visit the store in Paramus NJ, he saw a drum set on the floor that he really like being sold as a floor demo. I know it's considered used and warranty could be limited, I get it. The issue is that after we paid and went to picked it up, we were told that one of the items on displayed with the drum set, being essential to the unit was not part of the sale, even though it was displayed as part of the product with no label starting that it was not part of the deal.

After the rest of the set was already paid for and in our car, I had no choice but to pay for it separately. The salesperson who happen to be very friendly had no words to excused his management that with poor tactics ended up collecting more money from us once again with "false advertisement". Please don't be a victim and make sure to report them if this happens to you as well. Very disappointing experience.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2022

Purchased a used guitar that was stated in ad to be in "good condition" but in reality was unplayable due to it's electrical components no longer functioning. Thus the price paid was not warranted by it's assertion that it was in "good condition" with their excessive shipping charges, my purchase was foolish via their invalid condition statement. Conclusion" "buyer beware" applies as Guitar sells over priced guitars via invalid sales information used to entice trusting consumers like me.

Original review: April 29, 2022

I placed an order for an open conga set and the sales rep lied to me, saying it was a whole set of 4 congas. I only received one conga. When I called customer services, they told me to return it and place a new order for the whole set, which I did. Only to be lied again with just one conga. Guitar Center is not to be trusted.

Original review: April 22, 2022

I ordered a Jackson guitar on the 6th of April, 2022. The guitar didn't ship out until the 11th for whatever reason even though it was in stock and it said it was being delivered the next day. The next day rolls around and it says it's "out for delivery" and I wait all day (I work from home) and no one showed up. I figured it would be delivered the next day. It didn't and each day it continued to say "out for delivery" and that someone "attempted to deliver" it at 10:41 PM each night. I called UPS and they told me that was weird since they don't even drive that late, let alone it being the same time every night. So eventually a few days passed of this mess and I go into the actual UPS center it's supposed to be at since I can't get anywhere with the guitar center people or UPS on the phone. They straight up tell me they do not have the guitar and they cannot find it in the warehouse or on any of the trucks.

I told Guitar Center this and they opened a claim, and they told me if nothing was found by Monday, April 18th, they would refund me. Well, Monday rolls around and no one calls me or anything. So I jump on the chat with them and they tell me they cannot refund me until they look into it further, even though I went on UPS's website and put return to sender on the package so it can stop with the "out for deliver" infinite loop, so that was proof I didn't have the guitar nor was it going to be coming to me. I showed them the tracking and told them what the previous reps said and they wouldn't budge. So I finally went through my bank and filed a claim because this was getting ridiculous.

Every guitar center rep would cut me off saying they understood, but would give me no information and would just say we're looking into it. It is now Friday, April 22nd, still no guitar, and finally got a refund THROUGH MY BANK. I will NEVER order through this company again. It's been an absolute nightmare. They lost my package, and there was proof in the tracking and they still wouldn't refund me. Worst customer service I've ever dealt with. My bank even said the whole process they put me through was very sketchy and they were shocked they hadn't refunded my money.

Original review: March 12, 2022

I purchased several home recording studio equipment, along with the extended service warranties, during 2021. Well, a dynamic mic quit working properly after a few months. Giving mysterious latency and scratching during playback. Which wasn't the interface, nor the XLR cords. As we'd unplugged that mic, and then retested with a condenser, without hitch. Called GC to do a return/exchange with the dynamic, and they told me to 'come on in'. Well... the return didn't happen. They sent me back to Audio, instead of just refunding my money. And the Audio guy Jamie was rude as hell. Giving excuse after excuse that it 'wasn't his or their problem' and to contact the manufacturer. And then walked away. Lesson learned: DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

I’ve generally had good luck with the Natick Massachusetts Guitar Center. But not this time. In early January, I stopped in to buy a Fender American Professional II Jazzmaster. They did not have one in stock but they looked online and their Louisville KY store had one and they would ship it to my house at no additional cost. So far, so good. The guitar arrived and right out of the box there were some obvious set-up issues. The low E string intonation was off. There was pretty significant buzzing in the B and high E strings near the nut. The tremolo bar could not be inserted. These are the kind of things you would think the Louisville store would have checked before shipping the thing out. Apparently not.

I called the Natick store with my problem and was assured that these are simple set-up items and they could take care of it for me. All I had to do was call back the next day and ask for Justin. This is where the trouble started. Apparently Justin does not work very often and he does not return calls. After two weeks, I gave up and started tinkering with guitar. I got it almost where it should be but not quite. This is not the kind of service you should have to settle for when buying an $1800 guitar.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

I have ordered from Guitar Center multiple times and had no bad experiences whatsoever till I had to deal with a certain Guitar Center in Austin, Texas. So this is my review of that one particular store and the manager and employees there, not Guitar Center as a whole. They had a used Dave Mustaine Dean Angel Of Deth Vmnt listed for sale for $999. I called the actual store to inquire about the guitar because I kept trying to place order and it kept having an issue online. They said that they had the guitar available for purchase. I had to call the next day to place the order since they pulled the guitar off the shelf and placed it into the managers office tagged, at least that’s what they told me. They took my info for payment and shipping and said it was all good to go.

A couple days later there was no email to confirm that the order was placed and received and it still was showing that payment was pending. I had to call them back and talk to the store manager and it became a big mess and a debate between if I was the one that placed the order and apparently another employee was being shady and wiped out the whole entire record of my order being placed. The manager believed, from what he said, that someone that works there was trying to get it for a friend or a family member. Eventually they called my bank and told them to cancel payment because they claimed that the guitar wasn’t in stock, but turned around and told me something totally different.

When I first called inquiring about said guitar I was originally told that I was the first person that even contacted and inquired about the guitar. After this happened, I received a call from my bank that the payment was canceled, which I didn’t understand since I didn’t cancel it due to the fact that I really wanted this guitar. So I contacted the Austin store again and this time the manager got really nasty with me and kept telling me that he doesn’t know what I was talking about and ended the conversation with a ‘better luck next time’ before he hung up.

If this is how some of their stores handle business then no wonder why Guitar Center has financial problems. They need to do a total management clean up and place people in those positions, along with some of the employees at some of their stores, or they will lose a lot of customers and go under. First time I’ve ever had any issues with Guitar Center, but I definitely will not be ordering anything from that store again.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

Guitar Center refused to accept my State Tax Exempt status - unbelievable! Guess I'll be buying from the other guitar outlets that do. I don't understand how this company can reject one's tax exempt status when other music outlets like Sweetwater, Reverb and many other larger companies don't have a problem!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

Bought a $32 book for Christmas gift, they would not exchange it after my kid saw it was the wrong one, just go to Sam Ash. Everybody way better customer service, I called their customer service line, it's in the Philippines, no help at all. I will repeat just go to sam ash.

Guitar Center Company Information