1.13/5

132 Guitar Center Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

That person from the call center who served me is called either Michael or Jake. Beware of him cause he's such a careless person. He sent my product to my previous address though we confirmed the address I'm in now through chat. I was so disappointed because I didn't know he couldn't read and operate the system properly.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I spent hours trying to find the right guitar on the different big guitar websites. Guitar Center web page showed the exact guitar I wanted at a good price with a 15% discount. So I bought it. First, discount wasn't applied. Okay called next day and they fixed that. Then waited, received NO notice of shipping. Called and they told me, "oh sorry we don't actually have that guitar anymore!" When were they going to tell me??? If I hadn't called, no telling how long. But, they said they found a damaged one at a store I could have for $50 less. Unbelievable! They had a similar model but were zero motivated to give me the same discount.

So basically they sold me something they did not have and DID NOT CARE ONE BIT about letting me down. And they did NOTHING to make it right. Huge waste of time and ruined my guitar buying experience. When I asked for email or phone for higher up so I could relay what happened, put on hold and then offered some 'accessories'. They really didn't want me talking to anyone at their company. I will NEVER buy from them again and offer this cautionary tale. When I checked other reviews here, the first one I read was about the exact same thing happening to someone else.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Today I took my 40+ year old antique Hawaiian ukulele in to be restrung. We waited almost an hour for the technician who had gone out for a cigarette and finally another guy took our info and said he'd pass it along when the technician came back. A couple hours later we returned to get it and found the natural strings had been replaced with white strings, and a couple chunks had been chipped out of the wood - Jeremy the technician said "oops - sometimes that happens when you cut the strings." He also said it probably wouldn't stay in tune because of the strings he put on it. That's the reason I took it to be restrung in the first place! I am not pleased. This was a sentimental souvenir from my 16th birthday. I can use a wood marker or something, but it will never be as nice as when I took it into Guitar Center. Next time I will find a music store with people who actually care.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I ordered a pair of used dark hi-hat cymbals and a used dark ride cymbal with rush shipping. However what I got was a used dry crash and a different set of hi-hats from what I thought I had ordered. I called before they shipped to confirm the correct items were shipping, and Judd did indeed confirm that my dark hi-hats and dark ride were being prepped to shipped. He had lied to me and now they will not ship the cymbal that I actually paid for until they get their dry crash cymbal back, as if I ever wanted the thing in the first place. Now I have to wait for UPS to decide to come pick it up since I don’t have a car to bring it to UPS myself.

I'm deciding to keep the wrong hi-hats because they said they may (maybe not?) Give me a discount. I feel violated, but to their credit they did refund me for shipping...that’s the only thing they have done that is not reprehensible. I expected on Thursday the best cymbals of my 17 years drumming and I got a series of headaches and indifference from the GC employees. Now I have no idea when I'll get what I paid for. I can't believe I went with Guitar Center. No wonder their reviews are so low. What a mistake.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have been playing for over 40 years and just purchased a used Zager 80 guitar in great condition for $1,000. I was so excited to receive it last night I thought I might burst. I had never spent this much on a guitar so, this was a big deal. I can't tell you how very disappointing it was to receive my guitar in such deplorable condition. The scratch on the back did not bother me nor did the two places on the front where someone had repaired the guitar.

What did really bother me was the crooked neck, high string action, totally worn off frets and all the glue that was left from a sloppy repair job that was done to repair a broken neck and the big crack where the truss rod starts on the neck, noise from shaking the guitar, improperly glued braces that no one took the time to notch out along with more glue overflow that was obviously not used at the same time the guitar was built. From the neck being broken you can imagine how many other things were wrong. I am blown away that Guitar Center is putting a guitar that someone broke and simply do some 5 cent repair job to pass it off to me as in great shape.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy from Guitar Center unless you want a piece of crap and to be taken advantage of. As for their return policy... The nearest store is more than 2 hours away and they told me on the phone that I would need to contact the store that actually sent it to me and passed the buck. I have been trying for two days to get a return shipping label with no luck yet. Why should I have to pay for any part of this scam?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guitar Center?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

They sold me an item online that they didn't actually have. I'm now waiting 5-7 days for them to return my money, so I don't have the money to buy the item necessary for my gig on Saturday. I'm hoping that they will at least manage to return the full amount including shipping, but the invoice they sent doesn't seem to include it. My god, you should have seen the email they sent. A fourth grader could have done better. Stay away.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Horrible, horrible customer service. Ordered a piano online, which showed up in a very beaten up box and with part of the stand cracked. Had most of the piano out of the box by the time we got to the cracked board. Called immediately and was told we could get the part replaced, but would have to wait until they get more in. Have been contacting them for over a month now and getting no help with the issue. Even had them pressure us to purchase Pro Coverage, which wouldn't even cover this since it's cosmetic anyway. Now they are making us return it (good thing we kept the box) and get a new one. I have no idea how we'll get it back in the beaten box though. The number of times I've had to contact them to follow up is such a poor use of my time. Not to mention having to assemble then disassemble then assemble another piano. No respect for their customers and their time. Will not be shopping with Guitar Center again.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I tried playing Taylor, Gibson, Martin, Takamine, Yamaha, Seagull guitars but only DEMO models seem to be on sale. Also sale prices seem to be more expensive than manufacturers recommended price! How can you call this a sale? Do you actually have new guitars for sale? It appears not so! Even with your so called sale price or 15 percent discount. Not very honest at all! I would have liked to have purchased either a Gibson Les Paul or maybe a Fender Telecaster U.S.A. made but you can't seem to offer new guitars. Only demo models. Or tell me to purchase through the internet. Not with the program buddy! I’ll have to purchase elsewhere I guess! I pity the salesperson trying to sell OLD gear as new and "this is the last one" philosophy! Poor show all around.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Don't get me wrong, in most cases the sales associates (the ones working on the floor) know their gear, but it's the way they act and treat you that make you feel embarrassed when you don't buy the high-end stuff. I purchased a used guitar from Guitarcenter.com and when I went to the store to pick it up the associate went and got it from the back then set it by the exit door and walked away without even giving me a receipt. I had to flag down another associate, and when I told him the package was just left there by the door, he who told me to "not be shy" about asking for help as he opened the package up so it could be inspected, and sure enough it was damaged.

The fretboard was cracked near the headstock and the nut wasn't even set in all the way because it was too WIDE to fit in the space properly therefore it was set in crooked (and no one happened to notice this before they shipped it?). One of the guitar techs came over and looked at it and the first thing he did was act shocked that it was made in China, and not one of their holy grail MIM Fenders. Then went on about how great the Fenders are because they're made in Mexico (probably by 10 year olds in sweatshops).

So I think the associates are snobs that get upset when you buy stuff online because then they don't get commission when you don't buy the floor models. They constantly overrate their used products online. This guitar was listed in "great condition" even though it had a cracked headstock and who knows what ELSE is wrong with it! They sent it in for repairs because supposedly their in-store luthiers can't repair instruments, they just charge to $50 to put a $15 set of strings on.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Guitar Center needs to re-evaluate it's financing partners. I have nearly an 800 credit score, I make on average $15k a month, and have no debt other than a student loan yet I was denied credit. They just lost a lot of business.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I called this morning about a simple thing: a Ludwig 22" bass drum head with a vintage Ludwig logo on it. I asked for a price. I was told by an associate that he had to call the Ludwig company and get back to me. I never heard back from him. How hard is that? It will be good if they go down the tubes. Then all the small, specialty musical instrument shops they put out of business will return.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I have a gift card for Guitar Center, so I intended to use it (plus some additional from my credit card) to buy some software I have been wanting. First, they said they could not obtain an authorization for my credit card (which was not in any way a questionable card), then they said they could not obtain an authorization for my other card (which also was certainly not questionable). I tried to chat, but received an error message. I tried to email, but was told that the page didn't exist. It really sounds like they don't want my business (or the business of anybody I can influence, for that matter). Maybe I can use the gift card in the store (or - wishful thinking - at Sweetwater).

Original review: July 29, 2018

I've been a musician for over 30 years, and have been to many Guitar Centers all over California from Oxnard to Roseville, which brings me to this post. Roseville Guitar Center? Go to Sacramento! Every single time I have to go to this store (Sac sometimes the system goes down) I leave in a bad mood! The workers are rude, always will low ball you with gear, and the few items that they have, are overpriced. My fellow shredders, avoid this ** store!

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have purchased several acoustic guitars over the years from different GC locations. The customer service at most locations have progressively got worse to terrible at some locations. This includes department sales people that have very little if any knowledge of the items they are selling, unfriendly interaction during phone conversations, being placed on hold for several minutes and then terminating your call and never being called back when the personnel takes your number and states they will call you back.

There are also misleading and erroneous descriptions of the condition of some of the items I have purchased resulting in the return of items. Returning an item via by a delivery service can be a problem also since the nearest location to a GC is over 200 miles. The problem may be due to under-staffing but there is a definite issue with some of the locations I have dealt with. In store customer experiences may be great but not online or call in interactions.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I recently purchased a guitar from Guitar Center in Mesquite TX. I had played many years ago and wanted to pick it back up. I had been in this store before and they have a good selection. I chose a guitar that had electric hook up. I have only had acoustic so wasn't familiar. It was their last one so the man who helped me said he would throw in a stand and a strap. When I got it home I discovered that the cable inside was not hooked up. So I took it back the next day. It turns out it was missing everything it needed for electronic hookup--yet they sold it to me anyway.

The person who helped me that day seemed knowledgeable; so I purchased an acoustic at his suggestion. I lost $100 on the deal but liked the guitar. When I got it home I discovered that I couldn't put the strap on it. I took it in for them to tell me what needed to be added to do that. I was treated very rudely. I also asked why I had been charged for the strap when it was supposedly thrown in in my first purchase. I was talked down to like I was an idiot. Not everyone picks up an instrument to be a professional or play in a band and not everyone knows everything. I expected courtesy and an apology for having to come back yet again. I received only rude behavior from the man with the piercings.

I would love to never go back to this store again and am hoping if I need warranty work, I can go to another location. There are too many locations for anyone to be treated as I was treated and to put up with such dishonesty. Pull up Guitar Centers, it is a major chain. Choose another location besides the Mesquite location. Hopefully you will find better employees who value their customers. Unless you are a major player, they will not value you in Mesquite. I will not buy any other musical instruments or accessories in this store. I suggest you do the same.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Ordered a MacbookPro from their website and paid by credit card. Order was canceled without prior notification. Did it a second time and order was canceled again. Called customer service who said they only accept wire transfer. Ridiculous.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I wish I had read the reviews for this company before I tried to make a purchase from them. After doing quite a bit of research I found the vintage tenor banjo I wanted, on the Guitar Center site. It was advertised as In Stock and Ready to Ship. After I gave all of my personal information and made payment online I received an email in app 15-20 minutes telling me the item was on back order. Since I ordered a specific, vintage instrument and didn't believe there was a ready inventory of vintage banjos available, I called them. They didn't really have an explanation but the employee on the phone did confirm that it didn't make sense for a one of a kind vintage instrument to be on back order. I got my money back and will never deal with them again -- what a ridiculous experience and what a disorganized company. BTW it is still listed as In Stock and Ready to Ship.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Store messed up a 2000 dollar order. Weeks later they refused to do anything to apologize. When I asked for shipping labels to return items they agreed, only to never send them. I called 4 times regarding shipping labels, but was forced to drive 2 hours to store to return all items. I called to complain about THAT, they offered me $50 gift card. It never came. I called to ask why, they said they changed their mind and that I can only speak with 'managers' now. Somehow them doing terrible job makes me the outcast. Scum. They are totally undertrained and need to be investigated for prejudice. Now I have $200 on credit that they refuse to send back to me in gift cards.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I will never so much as buy a guitar pick at Guitar Center in Castleton ever again. This is the 2nd time I have made an on-line purchase in their used store inventory and had the item come in defective. That in it of itself isn't the problem, it's how the staff handles the problem. I purchased a Blackstar 2 x 12 combo amp and it shipped out of Florida. It arrived at my house very well packaged, however as soon as I plugged it in, it sounded like the speakers were blown and I thought a tube probably got damaged in transport which is not that big of a deal because I felt like it would be a quick and easy repair. The same day that I received it, I hauled it into Guitar Center in Castleton and explained the situation. Both employees said a tube probably got damaged in transit.

Now, keep in mind, they have a Tech on site, but they said that "he" can't do the repairs because it was bought from "used inventory" so he don't get paid to fix "used" gear. (Dumbest thing I've ever heard.) He then proceeded to tell me my options: Return the amp and find another one online and have it shipped. I didn't like that option because the amp I had in hand looked brand new and I didn't want to risk buying another used one and have it be scratched up. I wanted this one fixed which brings me to option 2 which is the one that really upset me. He said that if I wanted to keep that one and have it repaired, that he would have to refund my money for the amp, send it out for repair, and whenever they got it back, put it back out on the floor for sale and I would have to come back in and re-purchase it, but they would not call me and let me know when it was back at the store.

I asked him why they couldn't send it out for repair, and then just call me to come pick it up when it was done? He said very sarcastically that that's just how it's done. It's like they punish you for buying anything from their used inventory. I have spent thousands of dollars in this store, but as long as I live, I will spend my money at Sam Ash going forward where the customer service is far better.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I tried to order a DJ controller and two studio monitors. I made the payment and received an email from Guitar Center the next day, asking me to contact their verifications department and to send them a bank statement to confirm my payment. I did that right away, but didn't hear anything from them for two days. I contacted them again, the person on the phone didn't know anything about my order and asked me to send my bank statement again. The same thing happened over again twice until finally someone confirmed that they received my bank statement and my order had been confirmed. Two days later, I received another email from Guitar Center saying my order had been cancelled, without a reason added. The person on the phone couldn't tell me why this happen, but told me to try and order again and said hopefully it will work this time. Forget about it!

Original review: April 10, 2018

My multi-effects guitar pedal is on the fritz, so I decided to purchase a new one on Monday. I needed it for rehearsal Tuesday night, but my local Guitar Center didn't have the one I wanted. So I looked online and found that I could "Pickup Today" option for a Guitar Center store about an hour away. I purchased it and waited for the confirmation e-mail. The e-mail never came, so Tuesday morning I called customer service to ask about it. I find out the item is currently in a store 1.5 hours away and being shipped to the other store (where I requested the pickup), so I'll get it between Wed-Fri. When I asked if I could come to this other store and just pick it up, they said it was already on the truck, so I couldn't come get it and had to wait.

Now I'm without a solution for rehearsal tonight, when I thought the problem was taken care of. I would have had it shipped to my local store or paid for it to be shipped to my house if I would have know it wouldn't be ready the day they listed. Better yet, I would have ordered it from another company, if I would have known how this experience was going to be. I went to Guitar Center's website to let them know, so that this wouldn't happen to someone else, and the site times out when I submit the feedback form. I tried again a couple hours later and it was the same result. Then I tried the feedback form on my mobile and it said "Invalid characters", even though everything was fine in my post. Finally I decided to come here and write a review. Hopefully this prevents someone else from being in this same situation!

Original review: April 9, 2018

Multiple times I have purchased online and attempted to pick up in store. Each time there is a different excuse. No one working to deal with online orders. Check back in 3-4 days. Item not in stock even though it was listed in stock. When asked about if I should get from another store I was told they would request the transfer but it would take at least 3 days when I could just drive down the street. Contacted customer service. Hung on me twice. Asked for manager twice and was denied and then said the only one was busy and would call back. No call back of course. They agreed to cancel my order but aren't doing anything to take care of it. I simply asked that this issue be acknowledged so they would deal with the issue on their side but from the looks of it they are used to seeing these issues and just acknowledged they are aware and don't really care.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Ordered parts for a custom bass I’m working on, gave them my apartment number over the phone. Package was never delivered because the idiot that took my order never entered my apartment number. Called today to check the status of my order and they put a hold on my order!!! Unbelievable! If I could give it zero stars I would!!! HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!!

Original review: March 28, 2018

Customer service is not trained to put customer first. I went in the store today, and a customer requested the cashier to put the music, that was playing on the store speakers, a little down so he could hear the bass that he was testing, the cashier rolled his eyes but did, but when the customer left, he started talking about him, saying to the other employees all kinds of things, like, "Dude if you are bothered about the loud music, then leave my store, I like how loud it is." It was really rude, it actually happened with 2 customers. I don't like that, I'm not planning to go back at Colorado Blvd store, so they can talk about me when I leave.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I received an incorrect item from that which I ordered. The customer support rep said it was my confusion and not their error (It didn't match the picture on their site at all), expected me to wait 2 weeks for replacement. When I said I would simply like a refund, they said it would be 5 days and cut me off immediately. Another unsatisfied customer.

Original review: March 25, 2018

This cymbal (20” AA Meinl Byzance Crash) was purchased 1 year plus 4 months ago. It has a 2 year manufacturer’s warranty from AA Meinl. It has a hairline crack on the edge of the cymbal. I took it back to Guitar Center in Framingham MA and was told by their staff that if I didn’t buy the gold coverage with the cymbal I would have to contact the manufacturer about the warranty. Which at this point I told them whenever I had bought anything from a regular drum store and had a problem their staff would always talk to the manufacturer and follow through and do the right thing under a stated manufacturer’s warranty. They absolutely refused to deal with the manufacturer and stated that they don’t even have contacts with the manufacturer and insisted that I contact the manufacturer AA Meinl. So I left disappointed.

Also keep in mind previously I have spent thousands of dollars at their stores on various equipment. So I visited the AA Meinl website under their warranty which says that if you have the original receipt and if it’s less than 2 years old it falls under the manufacturer’s warranty and to contact your authorized AA Meinl dealer. In another section of the AA Meinl website lists Guitar Center as authorized dealers. All of the locations in Massachusetts. So for another words Meinl says right on their website to take the cymbal back to Guitar Center aka the authorized dealer for replacement if found defective. Guitar Center won’t even look at it because I didn’t buy the gold coverage. The manufacturer’s warranty has nothing to do with gold coverage and Meinl says to deal direct with authorized dealer.

So now I’m stuck with a broken cymbal that is less than 1.5 years old with a manufacturer’s warranty of 2 years with no way of getting any support. Why should I pay Guitar Center extra for gold coverage to deal with a manufacturer’s warranty? So to me in this case the gold coverage is a scam and they won’t even honor a manufacturer’s warranty for a product that is clearly within that period. I can’t state enough to stay away from them and go direct to a local shops that have expertise in selling whatever equipment you are buying in my case drums. In all cases I have gotten great support from these shops and they are willing to deal with company reps such as Meinl, Zildjian, Pearl, DW etc when they sell you products.

Original review: March 24, 2018

This started in August 2017. I brought my Jackson V guitar in for set up (not repair). This was in Reno, NV. Their guitar tech complained in the store loudly about Jackson guitar. Mind you they sell Jackson guitars! He said it would be done by the end of the day. I finally got a call the next day to tell me that a part needed replacement and would cost me $50 more plus labor. I said no, I am picking up the guitar don't work on it. I picked it up. I took it to Bizarre Guitar to Jimi. Jimi had it done in 30 minutes and it was perfectly intonated. He told me that there was nothing wrong with it. So, basically they were bribing us for more money. That or the guitar tech didn't know what he was doing.

Next, we went in to buy a Gretsch guitar. We asked if we could have some kind of discount because it had been in the shop for a while and wasn't exactly flawless. He said no that's the price. We went back to Bizarre Guitar in Reno and they gave us a huge discount on a flawless Gretsch. March 2nd we ordered a Grateful Dead Uke collection online from them. They are the only ones who sell it. We were nervous but thought oh maybe online will be easier. It's been the worst experience we've had with any online vendor. ANY online vendor. We are in our 40s. We've had numerous online purchases as you can guess. This is the absolute worst experience.

We have called so many times. No one gave us the same answer to the whereabouts of the collection. It was something entirely different. And at some point one actually said it wasn't shipped that it was backordered after the last person said it was UPS's fault. On top of that we paid out almost $700 for this merchandise and only received $300 worth so far with no idea of when or even IF we will get the rest of our order. They never contacted us about any backorders except for the cheap 20 some dollar gig bags. They never told the same story more than once. They argued with us on the phone when we asked to speak for a manager. And every time we call they try to upsell their lame protection plan. We don't even have all the ukes!

This is ridiculous and absolutely unacceptable for that large of a company to be that bad. How are they even still open?!? It's almost April and we still have another story being told to us. You cannot be a well known company and get away with this BS. We would have canceled the order and bought it from someone else had someone else had it. We have been nothing but patient and nice the whole process through.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I went into the new North Fort Worth store for a new amp and guitar... Was virtually ignored by their verrry cool sales staff standing around the cash registers. Here's a clue for you commission salespeople out there - it's the guys with the gray hair that have the money. Walked out, bought my new Taylor online and bought my new Marshall from Sam Ash of Dallas today. Both of those retailers were excellent. Completely insulted. I absolutely will never deal with GC again.

Original review: March 10, 2018

Don't ever buy used gear from Guitar Center and have it shipped. The amp I purchased ended up to be a different model than the one listed in their online ad. And, when it arrived, it was missing a tube. It took multiple calls to get a replacement for the tube shipped.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Alright so I found a used amp I wanted from their list and bought one from their NH store or so I thought as I get email next day saying that my amp is not on their shelf. So they canceled my order and said my money would not be returned for 5-7 days. So I called my local store. They had the same amp. I want just a little more money. I ask them if the amp was there. Said they see it right now and even told me it had a upgraded speaker so I paid for it. Said I'd pick it few days. I get home from work. Get email saying they accidentally sold the amp to someone else and that they had to cancel my order. Money refunded 5-7 days. So now I sit here writing this. No money no amp. I can't see how they are still around.

Guitar Center Company Information