1.15/5
Based on 31 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

122 Guitar Center Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I called this morning about a simple thing: a Ludwig 22" bass drum head with a vintage Ludwig logo on it. I asked for a price. I was told by an associate that he had to call the Ludwig company and get back to me. I never heard back from him. How hard is that? It will be good if they go down the tubes. Then all the small, specialty musical instrument shops they put out of business will return.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I have a gift card for Guitar Center, so I intended to use it (plus some additional from my credit card) to buy some software I have been wanting. First, they said they could not obtain an authorization for my credit card (which was not in any way a questionable card), then they said they could not obtain an authorization for my other card (which also was certainly not questionable). I tried to chat, but received an error message. I tried to email, but was told that the page didn't exist. It really sounds like they don't want my business (or the business of anybody I can influence, for that matter). Maybe I can use the gift card in the store (or - wishful thinking - at Sweetwater).

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I've been a musician for over 30 years, and have been to many Guitar Centers all over California from Oxnard to Roseville, which brings me to this post. Roseville Guitar Center? Go to Sacramento! Every single time I have to go to this store (Sac sometimes the system goes down) I leave in a bad mood! The workers are rude, always will low ball you with gear, and the few items that they have, are overpriced. My fellow shredders, avoid this ** store!

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have purchased several acoustic guitars over the years from different GC locations. The customer service at most locations have progressively got worse to terrible at some locations. This includes department sales people that have very little if any knowledge of the items they are selling, unfriendly interaction during phone conversations, being placed on hold for several minutes and then terminating your call and never being called back when the personnel takes your number and states they will call you back.

There are also misleading and erroneous descriptions of the condition of some of the items I have purchased resulting in the return of items. Returning an item via by a delivery service can be a problem also since the nearest location to a GC is over 200 miles. The problem may be due to under-staffing but there is a definite issue with some of the locations I have dealt with. In store customer experiences may be great but not online or call in interactions.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I recently purchased a guitar from Guitar Center in Mesquite TX. I had played many years ago and wanted to pick it back up. I had been in this store before and they have a good selection. I chose a guitar that had electric hook up. I have only had acoustic so wasn't familiar. It was their last one so the man who helped me said he would throw in a stand and a strap. When I got it home I discovered that the cable inside was not hooked up. So I took it back the next day. It turns out it was missing everything it needed for electronic hookup--yet they sold it to me anyway.

The person who helped me that day seemed knowledgeable; so I purchased an acoustic at his suggestion. I lost $100 on the deal but liked the guitar. When I got it home I discovered that I couldn't put the strap on it. I took it in for them to tell me what needed to be added to do that. I was treated very rudely. I also asked why I had been charged for the strap when it was supposedly thrown in in my first purchase. I was talked down to like I was an idiot. Not everyone picks up an instrument to be a professional or play in a band and not everyone knows everything. I expected courtesy and an apology for having to come back yet again. I received only rude behavior from the man with the piercings.

I would love to never go back to this store again and am hoping if I need warranty work, I can go to another location. There are too many locations for anyone to be treated as I was treated and to put up with such dishonesty. Pull up Guitar Centers, it is a major chain. Choose another location besides the Mesquite location. Hopefully you will find better employees who value their customers. Unless you are a major player, they will not value you in Mesquite. I will not buy any other musical instruments or accessories in this store. I suggest you do the same.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guitar Center?

Original review: June 14, 2018

Ordered a MacbookPro from their website and paid by credit card. Order was canceled without prior notification. Did it a second time and order was canceled again. Called customer service who said they only accept wire transfer. Ridiculous.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I wish I had read the reviews for this company before I tried to make a purchase from them. After doing quite a bit of research I found the vintage tenor banjo I wanted, on the Guitar Center site. It was advertised as In Stock and Ready to Ship. After I gave all of my personal information and made payment online I received an email in app 15-20 minutes telling me the item was on back order. Since I ordered a specific, vintage instrument and didn't believe there was a ready inventory of vintage banjos available, I called them. They didn't really have an explanation but the employee on the phone did confirm that it didn't make sense for a one of a kind vintage instrument to be on back order. I got my money back and will never deal with them again -- what a ridiculous experience and what a disorganized company. BTW it is still listed as In Stock and Ready to Ship.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Store messed up a 2000 dollar order. Weeks later they refused to do anything to apologize. When I asked for shipping labels to return items they agreed, only to never send them. I called 4 times regarding shipping labels, but was forced to drive 2 hours to store to return all items. I called to complain about THAT, they offered me $50 gift card. It never came. I called to ask why, they said they changed their mind and that I can only speak with 'managers' now. Somehow them doing terrible job makes me the outcast. Scum. They are totally undertrained and need to be investigated for prejudice. Now I have $200 on credit that they refuse to send back to me in gift cards.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I will never so much as buy a guitar pick at Guitar Center in Castleton ever again. This is the 2nd time I have made an on-line purchase in their used store inventory and had the item come in defective. That in it of itself isn't the problem, it's how the staff handles the problem. I purchased a Blackstar 2 x 12 combo amp and it shipped out of Florida. It arrived at my house very well packaged, however as soon as I plugged it in, it sounded like the speakers were blown and I thought a tube probably got damaged in transport which is not that big of a deal because I felt like it would be a quick and easy repair. The same day that I received it, I hauled it into Guitar Center in Castleton and explained the situation. Both employees said a tube probably got damaged in transit.

Now, keep in mind, they have a Tech on site, but they said that "he" can't do the repairs because it was bought from "used inventory" so he don't get paid to fix "used" gear. (Dumbest thing I've ever heard.) He then proceeded to tell me my options: Return the amp and find another one online and have it shipped. I didn't like that option because the amp I had in hand looked brand new and I didn't want to risk buying another used one and have it be scratched up. I wanted this one fixed which brings me to option 2 which is the one that really upset me. He said that if I wanted to keep that one and have it repaired, that he would have to refund my money for the amp, send it out for repair, and whenever they got it back, put it back out on the floor for sale and I would have to come back in and re-purchase it, but they would not call me and let me know when it was back at the store.

I asked him why they couldn't send it out for repair, and then just call me to come pick it up when it was done? He said very sarcastically that that's just how it's done. It's like they punish you for buying anything from their used inventory. I have spent thousands of dollars in this store, but as long as I live, I will spend my money at Sam Ash going forward where the customer service is far better.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I tried to order a DJ controller and two studio monitors. I made the payment and received an email from Guitar Center the next day, asking me to contact their verifications department and to send them a bank statement to confirm my payment. I did that right away, but didn't hear anything from them for two days. I contacted them again, the person on the phone didn't know anything about my order and asked me to send my bank statement again. The same thing happened over again twice until finally someone confirmed that they received my bank statement and my order had been confirmed. Two days later, I received another email from Guitar Center saying my order had been cancelled, without a reason added. The person on the phone couldn't tell me why this happen, but told me to try and order again and said hopefully it will work this time. Forget about it!

Original review: April 10, 2018

My multi-effects guitar pedal is on the fritz, so I decided to purchase a new one on Monday. I needed it for rehearsal Tuesday night, but my local Guitar Center didn't have the one I wanted. So I looked online and found that I could "Pickup Today" option for a Guitar Center store about an hour away. I purchased it and waited for the confirmation e-mail. The e-mail never came, so Tuesday morning I called customer service to ask about it. I find out the item is currently in a store 1.5 hours away and being shipped to the other store (where I requested the pickup), so I'll get it between Wed-Fri. When I asked if I could come to this other store and just pick it up, they said it was already on the truck, so I couldn't come get it and had to wait.

Now I'm without a solution for rehearsal tonight, when I thought the problem was taken care of. I would have had it shipped to my local store or paid for it to be shipped to my house if I would have know it wouldn't be ready the day they listed. Better yet, I would have ordered it from another company, if I would have known how this experience was going to be. I went to Guitar Center's website to let them know, so that this wouldn't happen to someone else, and the site times out when I submit the feedback form. I tried again a couple hours later and it was the same result. Then I tried the feedback form on my mobile and it said "Invalid characters", even though everything was fine in my post. Finally I decided to come here and write a review. Hopefully this prevents someone else from being in this same situation!

Original review: April 9, 2018

Multiple times I have purchased online and attempted to pick up in store. Each time there is a different excuse. No one working to deal with online orders. Check back in 3-4 days. Item not in stock even though it was listed in stock. When asked about if I should get from another store I was told they would request the transfer but it would take at least 3 days when I could just drive down the street. Contacted customer service. Hung on me twice. Asked for manager twice and was denied and then said the only one was busy and would call back. No call back of course. They agreed to cancel my order but aren't doing anything to take care of it. I simply asked that this issue be acknowledged so they would deal with the issue on their side but from the looks of it they are used to seeing these issues and just acknowledged they are aware and don't really care.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Ordered parts for a custom bass I’m working on, gave them my apartment number over the phone. Package was never delivered because the idiot that took my order never entered my apartment number. Called today to check the status of my order and they put a hold on my order!!! Unbelievable! If I could give it zero stars I would!!! HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!!

Original review: March 28, 2018

Customer service is not trained to put customer first. I went in the store today, and a customer requested the cashier to put the music, that was playing on the store speakers, a little down so he could hear the bass that he was testing, the cashier rolled his eyes but did, but when the customer left, he started talking about him, saying to the other employees all kinds of things, like, "Dude if you are bothered about the loud music, then leave my store, I like how loud it is." It was really rude, it actually happened with 2 customers. I don't like that, I'm not planning to go back at Colorado Blvd store, so they can talk about me when I leave.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I received an incorrect item from that which I ordered. The customer support rep said it was my confusion and not their error (It didn't match the picture on their site at all), expected me to wait 2 weeks for replacement. When I said I would simply like a refund, they said it would be 5 days and cut me off immediately. Another unsatisfied customer.

Original review: March 25, 2018

This cymbal (20” AA Meinl Byzance Crash) was purchased 1 year plus 4 months ago. It has a 2 year manufacturer’s warranty from AA Meinl. It has a hairline crack on the edge of the cymbal. I took it back to Guitar Center in Framingham MA and was told by their staff that if I didn’t buy the gold coverage with the cymbal I would have to contact the manufacturer about the warranty. Which at this point I told them whenever I had bought anything from a regular drum store and had a problem their staff would always talk to the manufacturer and follow through and do the right thing under a stated manufacturer’s warranty. They absolutely refused to deal with the manufacturer and stated that they don’t even have contacts with the manufacturer and insisted that I contact the manufacturer AA Meinl. So I left disappointed.

Also keep in mind previously I have spent thousands of dollars at their stores on various equipment. So I visited the AA Meinl website under their warranty which says that if you have the original receipt and if it’s less than 2 years old it falls under the manufacturer’s warranty and to contact your authorized AA Meinl dealer. In another section of the AA Meinl website lists Guitar Center as authorized dealers. All of the locations in Massachusetts. So for another words Meinl says right on their website to take the cymbal back to Guitar Center aka the authorized dealer for replacement if found defective. Guitar Center won’t even look at it because I didn’t buy the gold coverage. The manufacturer’s warranty has nothing to do with gold coverage and Meinl says to deal direct with authorized dealer.

So now I’m stuck with a broken cymbal that is less than 1.5 years old with a manufacturer’s warranty of 2 years with no way of getting any support. Why should I pay Guitar Center extra for gold coverage to deal with a manufacturer’s warranty? So to me in this case the gold coverage is a scam and they won’t even honor a manufacturer’s warranty for a product that is clearly within that period. I can’t state enough to stay away from them and go direct to a local shops that have expertise in selling whatever equipment you are buying in my case drums. In all cases I have gotten great support from these shops and they are willing to deal with company reps such as Meinl, Zildjian, Pearl, DW etc when they sell you products.

Original review: March 24, 2018

This started in August 2017. I brought my Jackson V guitar in for set up (not repair). This was in Reno, NV. Their guitar tech complained in the store loudly about Jackson guitar. Mind you they sell Jackson guitars! He said it would be done by the end of the day. I finally got a call the next day to tell me that a part needed replacement and would cost me $50 more plus labor. I said no, I am picking up the guitar don't work on it. I picked it up. I took it to Bizarre Guitar to Jimi. Jimi had it done in 30 minutes and it was perfectly intonated. He told me that there was nothing wrong with it. So, basically they were bribing us for more money. That or the guitar tech didn't know what he was doing.

Next, we went in to buy a Gretsch guitar. We asked if we could have some kind of discount because it had been in the shop for a while and wasn't exactly flawless. He said no that's the price. We went back to Bizarre Guitar in Reno and they gave us a huge discount on a flawless Gretsch. March 2nd we ordered a Grateful Dead Uke collection online from them. They are the only ones who sell it. We were nervous but thought oh maybe online will be easier. It's been the worst experience we've had with any online vendor. ANY online vendor. We are in our 40s. We've had numerous online purchases as you can guess. This is the absolute worst experience.

We have called so many times. No one gave us the same answer to the whereabouts of the collection. It was something entirely different. And at some point one actually said it wasn't shipped that it was backordered after the last person said it was UPS's fault. On top of that we paid out almost $700 for this merchandise and only received $300 worth so far with no idea of when or even IF we will get the rest of our order. They never contacted us about any backorders except for the cheap 20 some dollar gig bags. They never told the same story more than once. They argued with us on the phone when we asked to speak for a manager. And every time we call they try to upsell their lame protection plan. We don't even have all the ukes!

This is ridiculous and absolutely unacceptable for that large of a company to be that bad. How are they even still open?!? It's almost April and we still have another story being told to us. You cannot be a well known company and get away with this BS. We would have canceled the order and bought it from someone else had someone else had it. We have been nothing but patient and nice the whole process through.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I went into the new North Fort Worth store for a new amp and guitar... Was virtually ignored by their verrry cool sales staff standing around the cash registers. Here's a clue for you commission salespeople out there - it's the guys with the gray hair that have the money. Walked out, bought my new Taylor online and bought my new Marshall from Sam Ash of Dallas today. Both of those retailers were excellent. Completely insulted. I absolutely will never deal with GC again.

Original review: March 10, 2018

Don't ever buy used gear from Guitar Center and have it shipped. The amp I purchased ended up to be a different model than the one listed in their online ad. And, when it arrived, it was missing a tube. It took multiple calls to get a replacement for the tube shipped.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Alright so I found a used amp I wanted from their list and bought one from their NH store or so I thought as I get email next day saying that my amp is not on their shelf. So they canceled my order and said my money would not be returned for 5-7 days. So I called my local store. They had the same amp. I want just a little more money. I ask them if the amp was there. Said they see it right now and even told me it had a upgraded speaker so I paid for it. Said I'd pick it few days. I get home from work. Get email saying they accidentally sold the amp to someone else and that they had to cancel my order. Money refunded 5-7 days. So now I sit here writing this. No money no amp. I can't see how they are still around.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I have had good customer service but both stores in Indiana are complete chaos. They have no idea where certificates of authenticity are. This a big deal since Fender sells a limited edition only through their stores. We have actually went back to get the correct COA only to be given the wrong one again. Asked a simple question of whether or not a guitar comes with a gig bag or case to be told it comes with nothing. Lie, I bought that same guitar from you just last week and it came with a case. Some employees are quite willing to lie to you so they can move on. It really stinks when you want to purchase a $3k guitar but you can’t be certain you will get the COA or the correct accessories.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I recently went up to Guitar Center in Indianapolis and traded my Boss MT-2 Metal Zone and an additional $68.00 for a Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff with Top Boost. Package got mixed up.

Updated on 02/23/2018: After refunding my order. I was told they will send it on 21 February 2018 and receive it 23 February 2018 and then told me they will send it 23 February 2018 and receive 25 February.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Guitar Center stores are a whole other web of terrible anti-consumer misery. I returned a Gretsch electromatic hollow body because after assurance by the commissioned salesman that I would love having a Bigsby Tremolo system... I don't and I return it and start shopping on their website. So I've got around $1.1k in Guitar Center credit on a gift card, I find a nice Reverend Double Agent III and a few other things. I purchase them and pay a difference of about $80. Despite being in stock online, I get an email after I buy it saying it will be available 2 weeks from now.

Two weeks later it's back ordered 2 months from now. Not an amazingly huge deal but kind of annoying. So I call, and pick out another guitar about $300 cheaper with that credit. Mind you I should have roughly $800. The lady on the phone says I am 10 dollars short on my credit. Where did that $300 go? They don't know but offer to look, which will take like 10 business days. So I relent and pay the $10 on my credit card. Well this girl accidentally charges the total of the card to my debit card, which I should have been wary about when I heard her say whoops followed by a brief silence. She didn't tell me, if this is truly the case and she knew. In itself it's whatever, not a massive deal. I'd hate to work for guitar center and I feel a bit bad knowing she probably has to deal with people that yell at her due to the vile construct known as guitar center's online ordering system.

So back on the phone after being charged for $500 to my debit card. They've seen the issue and my account has been flagged and they're working to fix it. But remember, I had roughly $800 in credit that is not tangible because they can't exactly put it back on my gift card. Where did that go? They have no clue. They'll look into it. It will take 10 business days.

And the kicker to all of this, the proverbial cherry on top. I paid for next day shipping. It's going on 5 business days now and the guitar isn't even in the same time zone as me. I still don't know where that $800 in credit is, and even if I get it, it still means I have to deal with guitar center. This is like some Sisyphean nightmare that I can't shake.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

In July 2017, I purchased a Gibson/Les Paul (Epiphone) Slash AFD guitar for my son. Five months later my son complains about the guitar sound not being right? We take it the repair Tech at our Lincoln, Nebraska store (very talented and great guy). He tells us that the neck of the guitar is warped beyond repair. He explains that this problem is no fault of ours, the wood is bad? I had purchased a 36-months "Pro Coverage plan Plan" at Guitar Center for $43.99. Attempted to make a claim for a refund or replacement at the store, but was told to call the number on the Pro Plan. This is where I started to get the runaround. Pro Coverage people says that I am still under manufacturer’s warranty and I have to go through the manufacturer. The lady at the Pro Plan says the warped neck is not covered by Pro Coverage Plan, only electrical problems and accidental damage was covered under the plan.

This is not what was sold to me when purchasing the plan. When the salesman up-sold me the plan, he made it sound like it was a full safe replacement plan. "If anything goes wrong with the guitar, we would be given a full refund or replacement". He made it sound like a great and easy exchange process if something would happen? I called Gibson/Epiphone and was told that I will have to file a claim with them, receive authorization for a review of the guitar first, ship it to them and wait for an answer if they will replace or repair the guitar or even maybe do nothing. I was advised "NO REFUNDS" from Gibson. What a nightmare! I live 40-miles each away from my local Guitar Center in Lincoln, Nebraska. I have already made one trip there to get the runaround, now I will probably be stuck with shipping cost to Gibson. By the time it is all said and done, I will have spent more $$ than the guitar is worth.

Come on GUITAR CENTER, get these exchange problems straightened out and quit this runaround game of passing the buck with us customers! You are the (Walmart) of Guitars. (Walmart) will exchange anything! Keeping their customers happy and coming back to their stores. Maybe you, (Guitar Center) should adopt the same type of policy to keep your customers coming back. If this problem is not resolved satisfactorily and soon, I will no longer spend my money in any of your stores.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Spent over 2K with GC in Sarasota. Talked into a product I did not want and cannot get honest answer about exchanging for one that will fit me (wheelchair user with MS). Not offered Pro coverage. Mgr of store not returning my calls. Guitar that will work that's on sale goes off tonight. GC management needs to get involved in this.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I purchased a guitar from GC online as a gift for my wife. The guitar was purchased almost an entire month prior to her birthday. When the package arrived in the mail, it was a $79 Rogue guitar, But I purchased a Les Paul. I immediately called Guitar Center, and was told I would have to pay for the shipping to return the item. After arguing, I was sent a shipping slip that was paid for by GC. After Guitar Center received the wrong item, I was told they would have to verify that I did not damage the item out of anger before they could ship the correct item. This reasoning is ridiculous, since it's GC's mess up. They have had the item for a total of seven days now.

I called this morning and the customer service rep, who was very nice, told me the guitar should have been shipped by now and he doesn't know why it's not. Unless it is shipped within the next hour the guitar will not get here in time for me to give it as a gift. Now, as a birthday gift I will have to present a receipt showing the purchase and a story to a large group of musicians as to why they should continue shopping at the local music store instead of Guitar Center. Thanks for ruining the birthday surprise Guitar Center.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I understand Guitar Center is in the business of making money by selling music equipment. However, the few times I've had some negative feedback, Guitar Center has sent me an email saying my post is under "review". (Censorship) Which literally means all the reviews and ratings on their website are sugar coated, and thus bogus. In my opinion Guitar Center doesn't respect their customers enough to allow them a truthful account of what they're selling, and prefers to protect the manufacturers they represent, by allowing their customers to be scammed at times because it's profitable, and convenient.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I recently purchased the Behringer ACX 1000. I wanted to tell you guys how happy I am with this amp. First off, my order came on time and was packaged very well. Right out of the box this amp did not disappoint. I plugged my AEF Ibanez into the amp and began playing and it was if angels started to sing. Thank you Guitar Center for an incredible sounding amp!!! We will be a regular customer and will be making another purchase in the near future!!!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Purchased a used Bass amp online. It was listed as excellent condition so I was willing to pay a little more than other options because I wanted it to be as close to like new as possible without spending "new" money. The amp came today and didn't have the power cord to plug it into the wall. So I called Guitar Center customer service and she called the store it came from who apparently told her that used amps don't come with the power cord from their store. I can't believe this and if it is true it should be listed in the posting that there is no power cord (kinda important to use an amp). Long story short Guitar Center refused to stand behind their sale. I guess I will return it to a local Guitar Center and lose the shipping cost, plus the fact I now will have to buy the amp somewhere else. Unbelievable.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I needed some essential item delivered by Thursday. I reviewed the shipping policy on of Guitar Center website found here **. The policy states that orders made after 4 PM, with item in stock, and 2-day shipping with be shipped the next day. I placed my order Monday evening. According to their policy, the order should have shipped on Tuesday and arrived on Thursday. However, on Wednesday, the Order Status on their website was blank. I called customer support and was told that they take 24-48 hours to verify orders before they are processed. Because of this my order was delayed and I would not be receiving my items by Thursday.

Furthermore, the customer service representative I spoke was unhelpful and snarky. He told me there was nothing he could do to get my order to me by Thursday and when I explained that I had read and followed their shipping policy, he interrupted me to inform me it took 24 hours to verify my order. I explained that I was confused because I didn't see anything about that on their shipping policy and he patronizing said, "Well I can read it to you." I have read all of their policies on their website and can't find anything about a 24-48 hour delay due to order verification. Avoid Guitar Center at all costs.

Guitar Center Company Information

www.guitarcenter.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business