2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

3.9/5 (378 ratings)

About Guitar Center

Guitar Center Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guitar Center?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guitar Center?

Original review: May 15, 2021

The store swapped a price tag on a bass. Tried to charge me over 900 for a price tag that said 600.; The staff was belligerently rude. The associate called me a and I quote "Crazy **". They wouldn't give us the difference back until we told them the only option (other than giving us the difference) was a full refund. This was Guitar Center's mistake not mine and I was treated like a criminal for demanding respect. I come from a whole family of musicians and we have a HUGE network of people that will take their chances on reverb from now until guitar center goes out of business just like all the mom and pops they have ** over. Guitar center of new Orleans is comprised of people that treat others like they are human garbage. Zero stars is not enough. You deserve a negative rating. If you see this review do yourself a favor GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!

Original review: April 15, 2021

The mask mandate has been lifted in Evansville In by our governor and mayor. We go to restaurants, Walmart, other music stores but Guitar Center threw a fit about not having a mask. No exceptions. Really? But then what would I expect from a store that when I called to have a Gretsch 12 string repaired under warranty they also told me that unless I bought it there they will not work on it. I think there is a lot of ignorance going on. Besides mask work, right? So if they have their mask on then they are safe, right? I actually have a health problem wearing a mask most of the time. I have heart issues. So I am not allowed to go in there and buy a chord book for a 5 string bass? Cool, I can find them elsewhere I suppose.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2021

I am a professional musician and run a studio in the Seattle area. I have used Guitar Center for years and have had mostly good luck, with the occasional hiccup. But two experiences in 2020 have caused me to black-list them. I will never do business with them again. First, in June 2020 I ordered a Martin 000-18 acoustic guitar, selling as brand new, and in stock for $2500, which is the going rate for that guitar. When it arrived , it was not in the original Martin shipping box (which was a clue of things to come). There was no paperwork (warranty, info etc) in the case. The case was banged up a bit, the metal runners were scratched (like the case was dragged on concrete), and the guitar itself had a whole host of issues. Mainly it was clearly used, covered in grime, the strings were dull and had belt-buckle rash on the back. There was not even an attempt to clean any of this up.

Furthermore, the guitar was buzzing badly at the 8th fret and upon checking there was a severe twist in the neck. There also had clearly been an amateur attempt to adjust the truss rod, the screws holding the cover were burred over. A check on the serial number confirmed my worst fear, the guitar was 3 years old. I called them and before saying anything I asked them to confirm that this was a new guitar, to which they answered, unflinchingly yes. Then when I unloaded the above on them, there was no apology or explanation, just a send it back we will refund, which I got, no problem.

A few months later (as I guess I am a glutton for punishment) I needed a certain guitar amplifier for a project in my studio.... A Fender Supersonic 22 head that sells for $900. Guitar center were apparently the only one who reported they had one in stock, and I thought, well, I am not ordering a guitar, so that is less risk. I paid full price for the new amp. It arrived in a Fender shipping box, which was good, but inside was, yes, a used amp. Again no paperwork or manual. There was supposed to be a speaker cable of a certain type, but instead there was a very cheap no-name imitation. The amp itself had dust on it, and the rubber feet were very dirty. The polystyrene packing was not correct for this amp, as it didn't quite fit correctly. It was used.... I was livid and returned it got a refund.

What I think is going on is that they use their online sales portal to sell off merchandise from their stores around the country. Equipment that had been used in the stores, or bought or returned.... They were just clearing house as the country went into Covid lockdown. Both the above items were sent to me from weird places and not the Guitar Center HQ you would expect.

Anyway, I am so disgusted that this company see no problem in offloading substandard equipment onto unsuspecting, hardworking individuals who are struggling with their own problems with music venues being closed etc. To think that company, who's very existence is entirely owed to these same individuals, and shows no remorse or apology... it just makes my blood boil. I will never do business, even a guitar string, with this corporation ever again. Finally, I have to mention, that they take down negative reviews, 3 times I have posted this story.... I am never insulting, or use profanity, try to be respectful to the humans involved.... but clearly, they are manipulating their reviews.

Original review: March 5, 2021

DO NOT BUY FROM HERE!! DO NOT BUY FROM HERE!!! Here's why.... I ordered an ovation guitar in November 2020 (back ordered) expecting it by Dec 31 2020. I had to call each and every month mind you, to find out anything about the order: we had not one single email, text, or update in anyway from Guitar Center! We'd call just to find out it was being pushed back later and later every time! Okay.... Then boom! Your order is cancelled out of nowhere! So again we call them because (we didn't cancel) to find out what was going on.... They had no clue as to what happened and would not even call to find out what was up! We ended up having to reorder the same guitar to "hopefully " receive this guitar by April this time because guitar center literally does not know what is going on with their supplier!! Or take the time to find out what is going on with their supplier!!

We eventually found the same guitar elsewhere for the same price and guitar center didn't even offer an option to help, just an I don't know and sorry would you like to buy some lessons to go with the guitar you may or may not be receiving??? This was supposed to be a Christmas gift and knowing it was back ordered I expected it to be a little late for Christmas BUT it has been 5 months since the order with absolutely no texts, updates, are you still interested or anything!! GUITAR CENTER REALLY DOESN'T SEEM TO CARE ABOUT YOU, YOUR BUSINESS, OR THEMSELVES BASED ON THEIR OWN ACTIONS!! So if you need a guitar and in a relatively timely manner, friendly advice.... Please GO ELSEWHERE!! YOU WILL NOT GET IT FROM GUITAR CENTER!!!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

I was in the market for a new guitar, and saw on the website that they had what I wanted "in stock," AFTER SELECTING MY LOCAL STORE. So I drove there expecting to come home with it, only to be told that the website reflects warehouse inventory. So I ordered the guitar, and was told it would take 3 to 5 days to get here. On day 3 the order status was marked as backordered, even though the website still claimed it was in stock. Finally on day 5 it changed to processing. I called the store to try and get a skip date and was promised an email that evening. Email never came, and credit card was never changed.

After reading many similar reviews on this site, I decided to cancel the order before they charged my card and I ended up waiting a month for shipping. At first they told me the system wouldn't let them cancel the order, then they checked the store that the guitar was supposedly at (but I was previously told it was at the warehouse?!?) and cancelled it. I feel like I dodged a bullet. Ordered the guitar from sounds.com, it's already marked as skipped the same day-on a Saturday.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

You cannot trust Guitar Center’s online inventory status. I ordered a guitar three months ago. Still haven’t received it. What’s upsetting is that on any given day these past three months, I’ve seen the inventory status for this guitar on their website read, “In Stock and ready to ship.” REALLY? Where’s mine then? I’ve even added another one to my “cart” expecting a back-order warning before paying, but nothing. They’re baiting people into buying online with false claims of being in stock. And then they’ve got you waiting for months. Ridiculous. No wonder they’re bankrupt (financially and morally). I don’t mind waiting several weeks for a common, low-end $250 guitar, but had I known it was going to take MONTHS, I would have ordered from Sweetwater. Guitar Center’s business practices are highly deceptive. This will be my last purchase.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I bought a used guitar from them online at a great deal (a variax 500 for $300), and they emailed me a receipt saying it would arrive in 3-5 business days. I got the module needed for the guitar with the money I saved (a line 6 podxt for $200) from Reverb. The guitar never arrived so I checked my order status and it had been updated to “backordered.” I called Guitar Center customer service and they said the guitar no longer exists and they don’t know what happened to it, but they refunded my card. I can no longer return the module so I need a guitar I can use it with. Now I have to pay a lot more for a worse guitar (a variax 300 for $400) because the deal on the one that they actually didn’t have (again, even though it was posted online, they sent me a receipt saying it would arrive in 3-5 days, and hadn’t notified me of anything else by the time I checked on the order 2 weeks later) was once in a lifetime.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

Ordered a Piano on 18th Dec and with an offer of 15% off valid until 24th Dec. Provided credit card info and they a hold of the amount and I could see that in my transaction. Though it was back ordered, I was ok to wait for 2 weeks (1st week of Jan). Got mail on 27th Dec that need to update the payment method as it did not go through. I was surprised to see that, because the card had enough limit remaining and also they had a hold earlier. When I called them to give another card, they started the whole thing as if its a new order and removed the coupon. When I asked why not keeping the old order, they said coupon is its not available anymore and also no coupon applicable on a backorder. I was so pissed off because with the regular price I could have ordered from Amazon or elsewhere. If they don't accept coupon which is their's anyways, then why they took the order on first place. Such an unprofessional company. No wonder it's getting bankrupt.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

My boyfriend and I had just walked in having just spent a lovely hour shopping in a different store (where no employees were masked or policing their customers). We then arrive at GC, in the middle of a great conversation, looking to buy an amp. My boyfriend was immediately accosted for not wearing his face shield correctly, and when he didn't immediately comply to their wishes, he was asked to leave, in a rude and forceful manner. I was shocked. I hope that this business trains their employees better, and that their customer service does not include humiliating grown men in front of other customers. What a shame! I expect better from a place I have spent thousands of dollars at. I will no longer shop here. What a costly mistake your employees have made.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

Spoke to service (chat) after waiting 4 weeks for something I ordered to not show up. Their service stinks to put it nicely. It was a long wait, unproductive and I was told to call the store and figure it out. What company does that to an upset guest. Maybe the bankruptcy isn't due to Covid, look within at the way you handle major screw ups. Apparently now I am customer support and have to chase my own problem.

Guitar Center Company Information