3.9/5 (2673 ratings)

About Etsy

Etsy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I have made many good purchases through Etsy over the years, and always try to leave a positive rating of the seller. Recently I made two purchases that were not as described or unacceptable. I tried to leave honest reviews of these seller. Etsy wouldn’t let me post a rating of less than four stars and instructed me to contact the seller with my issues, One seller sent a rather snarky response offering return of the jewelry item. Upon receipt they would determine if the item was unused and offer a refund. Original and return shipping was on me. The other seller never responded. In both cases ETSY WOULD NOT ALLOW AN HONEST REVIEW OF THE SELLER/product. Needless to say I will think twice before purchasing anything through Etsy.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I am a first time ETSY customer. On the 9th November I ordered 2 different personalized cushions, from 2 different sellers. I requested both to be delivered to the same address. The first was delivered in a timely manner, to the address I requested. The second cushion is currently being help hostage by the seller Currents and Clouds. They are demanding additional delivery charge. I can’t get my head around this as the first seller managed to deliver to the address given. I have tried to have ETSY intervene several times and they seem unwilling. Would love some advise on how to resolve this. I am reluctant to hand over more money....

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I used Etsy for years, basically since they launched. We even ordered our engagement ring on Etsy. I had no idea their protection policy was so poor. Supporting small vendors is a PLUS, but when you get a bogus vendor Etsy does not have your back. Long story short, I asked for a refund for an item 5 weeks after it didn't arrive, and no communication from vendor. Then it was rushed to me and Etsy closes the case on account of the vendor, NOT me (the buyer). I communicated dissatisfaction bc the item was not cheap, and arrived much too late for what I ordered it for. And Etsy remains incommunicado on the issue. Case closed. Unfortunately, consumers of Etsy, you are NOT BACKED, or prioritized. Doesn't matter how loyal you are. Such a shame. Never ordering from them again with my hard earned money, they're not trustworthy and their policies to back the buyer FAIL.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I opened an Etsy shop because I have a store that sells nothing but handmade items made by local artisans. I had two sales and all the sudden Etsy shut down my shop with no warning. Luckily those sales were completed delivered and Etsy has kept my money. They're telling me they will not reimburse my money until March of 2020 (6 months later). They State their reason is because the sale may not go through even though there's a 30-day return policy that has already passed. I have filed a report with the Better Business Bureau. Unfortunately I still can't get my money even though I paid the artist and I paid for shipping. The consumer has the product and Etsy has my money. Horrible place. Do not do business with them and do not buy from them anymore.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Etsy charged me 1,000 of dollars setting up a store, then terminated my store stating that they linked my store to some other store. They gave me know information or anyway of solving the issue. This in my opinion is corporate fraud at its worst. I wish Etsy could be held accountable for this fraud...

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

Extremely disappointed in both Etsy and Northshire. I ordered a $135 home decor and got nothing in return. Will never purchase from either company again. After numerous emails back and forth with seller, they said there's nothing they can do. Buyers beware!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I sold on Etsy for 3.5 years and 1 day woke up to my shop being closed permanently due to only a handful of open cases. Most of them due to the fact that no one read through listing details and disregarded the fact that I had a 4-week processing timeframe right on my shops message board. Etsy cares nothing about sellers who actually handmake their items and need adequate time to make those items properly. They claim to be the #1 site for unique and handmade items yet they boost the shops selling cheap overseas knockoffs for a fraction of the cost and time it takes a true "handmade" artist to create the same item. They say you can have your own shop policies yet slap you on the wrist if you don't bend or break those rules to accommodate the most demanding of customers regardless if you did EVERYTHING right.

They refunded customers on my behalf even though the items were shipped on time. When I asked the customers to return, they basically said too bad, Etsy says we don't have to return. I had a customer put in a "not as described" claim for a custom dress because it wasn't an "exact" replica of the $200 dress she wanted me to replicate when I told her from the beginning I don't copy other artists and she said it was fine. I then sent another dress to her, which was double the cost of the original just to close the claim against me. 6 months later after sending photos of the child wearing the dress, she opens another claim that it was yet again "not as described" and told Etsy support I didn't even make it, she did! I provided a ton of proof and Etsy refunded her anyways and let her keep both of my dresses. I was out the items and all shipping, material and labor costs.

I asked Etsy for a reason why they refunded her and basically got told it was none of my business and that would be the last of the communication. Ya, that's really how they speak to their sellers. Sellers who repeatedly bring them in income. Disgusting in my opinion! They treat their sellers like garbage. Do not sell on Etsy if you're a legitimate handmade artist. You'll waste so much time and money. You will be ripped off by buyers, for Etsy will side with them every time. And if you don't maintain a perfect track record they will close you down no matter how many 5 star reviews you have.

If you don't want customers controlling tour business and dictating your policies, then don't even think about selling on Etsy. You will be overrun by all the trademark and cheap overseas goods sold in 99% of the shops. And all the ** "unique" craft items that are simply purchased from Joann and Hobby Lobby and resold as "one of a kind" on Etsy. It's all **!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I bought an item on Etsy that arrived broken. The seller was very rude and refused to give me a refund. I complained to Etsy and they did nothing to support me although the seller was breaking the law. They claimed that I had to sort it out with the seller and that it was nothing to do with them, although I had bought the item through Etsy. So if you buy through Etsy and are unlucky enough to have a bad experience, do not expect Etsy to offer any support whatsoever. I have lost my money and will never use Etsy again.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I bought 3 t shirts from Etsy. Made in China. I received 3 t shirts - not one of them was the t shirt I had picked. You just can't trust the Chinese. Don't waste your money! Thanks Mark. Minor things: all t shirts were the wrong size; delivery took 4 weeks.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I ordered a service from Etsy. While in contact with the seller in chat, the tag was for $65. While reviewing my bank statements a few months later, I saw I was charged $90. I would like to forward the email I received containing the chat, with the icon of the service and the price that I agreed to pay, but Etsy does not have an email address or a phone number. The system keeps shifting me to the sellers page. It's not the sellers issue. It's Etsy's, who, between the time of order and time of billing, added $25. My proof needs to be emailed from my gmail account and there is no way to contact Etsy. I will NEVER use Etsy again, nor will I advise anyone I know to use Etsy.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I just created a shop and paid to have several items listed. In less than two weeks my shop was deactivated. I've called and emailed for three days and can't get a response as to why it was closed. I didn't violate any of their rules, I posted several different shirts and sweatshirts for sale.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I placed a plant order the afternoon of Friday October 4. My credit card was charged right away by Etsy. I canceled that order a few hours later after going into respiratory distress due to pollen according to pulmonologist. At first, seller did not respond to cancelation, then said she would cancel minus $5.00. Then -after several weird messages- seller emailed me shipping tracking number. If shipped, estimated delivery was 10/11 to 10/18. I tried USPS tracking number only to be told: "ORDER HAS NOT SHIPPED". I had to stop payment on my credit card and file a complaint with the BBB. Etsy is just plain dishonest and I'll stay as far away as I can.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I've never brought anything off etsy but I've been a seller since the start of this year and it's been absolutely awful from start to finish. Three orders in I got an email from Etsy saying if I didn't fix my personal information within my account, it would be suspended as I am under eighteen (I was born in 1981 so yeah not 18). I sent them a picture of my passport and ID card and after a three day back and forth (also they take 24+ hours to respond to emails that state "If issue isn't fixed within 24 hours your account may be suspended") I didn't get a reply after stating all my information which matched the identification I had given them.

Two days later I go on etsy and they've suspended my account, with a new person emailing me, accusing me of being a child and telling me I need to change my information and get written approval from my parents to say that I - an almost 38 year old woman - am allowed an Etsy account and my parents must email them from their email address after I'm finished updating my information. I mean come on.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I order a birthday gift for my niece and the selection was wonderful, she wanted a 80's theme, and they had all kinds of gifts. The checkout time was so fast, and the website is so easy to navigate. I even left a message for the seller, and her reply was really fast and professional. I recommend that site to my sister and my brother, I love it for anything you might need for gift giving, thank you.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Etsy makes their money from their sellers, so they have little interest in helping buyers when things go wrong. I have been fighting a crooked seller who violated every Etsy rule from the start, and I am not able to file a case against him because he did not enter the order as filled and shipped on my Etsy invoice page. So technically, the order is still outstanding. Because of that game playing, I have to wait about a week — when the “problem with unfilled order” window opens — to start the formal complaint process. And I am not able to leave a review.

As just one example of where Etsy’s priorities lay, here is an excerpt for their seller page, on how to avoid a scam buyer: “A buyer who immediately insists on communicating off of our site may be questionable." The Etsy seller who ripped me off communicated with me off site! Yet no such advice exists on the buyer information pages on Etsy. I spent 20 minutes on the phone with Etsy support, only to be told, over and over again, that they could do nothing. I was told to wait until the window opened to file a case against the seller. When I commented that it seemed that they do nothing to punish their dishonest sellers, the woman I was speaking to said this: “When we chop one head off, a dozen more pop up.” She actually said that. Wow. So that is the position Etsy takes. Why bother disciplining bad sellers, when there are so many others, and so many more who will take their place? Don’t bother with this website.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Etsy blocked my shop after many years loyal selling with no prior warning and no reason given as to why. When I called to ask why, they hung up the phone on me. All I can see that happened is that some deliveries went out late, due to a difficult personal time, after years of five star reviews, and they didn’t even give me warning or inquire why the sudden change. Also they blocked my account so I can’t call them, email or contact them in any way. Very harsh for a few delayed items and years of high volume sales. Surely this is in violation of GPDR? To not allow me to log in and remove things like my bank info.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

Someone accessed my account from another country and started racking up charges. I immediately contacted Etsy and they basically did nothing. There are two customer service numbers on the internet and neither of them work. The only way you can interact with a human is via a chat function. I finally got someone on the other end of my "chat" and she asked me a bunch of questions and assured me someone would be in contact with me in the next 2-72 hours. It has been a week and I have not heard from anyone at Etsy. And now they have locked me out of my account so I can't even access the customer service "chat" function. I am now working with my credit card company to decline the fraudulent charges. I will NEVER use Etsy again. They basically don't have a customer service department and don't care if someone hacks into your account and runs up a bunch of fraudulent charges. TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE, PEOPLE!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

98% Positive. I love Etsy, have found many unique and cool things over the years, mostly Positive experiences. I am experiencing more and more Sellers not responding to questions about an item or receiving my money for an item then not mailing it and not responding to messages. I had one seller blatantly lie to me and other buyers about not receiving items after we were told they had been shipped, they had not been. This particular seller would then lie on the reviews, Funny her shop is closed now. Does the administration look over sellers' commitment to the buyers and or check on the Sellers' Reviews to keep dishonest sellers in check? I will keep on supporting the Stellar Sellers who show Respect and Professionalism as I will towards them.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I had a store opened recently on Etsy. The money for the listing fee was taken out of my account. Upon receiving my first official sale my account is now deactivated and the sale was cancelled by Etsy. I just received an email with no explanation other than the sell was cancelled. I attempted to log into my account and got a message that my account is deactivated. You have to log in to be able to contact them. At this point I am merely frustrated. I feel like I have wasted my time posting items on Etsy. I have been a customer on the platform for several years. I will no longer be a customer or attempt to reopen the store account. This is a lesson well-learned. The only thing that I am concerned about is that my banking account information is on the site along with my other personal information and I am unable to delete it.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I had been selling on Etsy for 5 years. I'm a high volume seller on other sites with a lot of experience. Once the admins give you a warning it is downhill until they suddenly shut you down. I was selling to 250 buyers a month bringing in to Etsy about $5K in fee revenue. The nature of my items is that they may not be fulfilled in a timely manner. I received a warning in 2017. I was suddenly suspended a month ago where I refunded a lot of orders and improved since. But there is no such thing as improving after receiving their warnings. It is walking on eggshells thereafter. One buyer can ruin it all.

I suspect they listened to ONE buyer complain. I am surprised that they choose to suspend growing sellers bringing in $5K in fees YEARLY for them over the POTENTIAL of losing the fee revenue of _$37_ of POTENTIALLY some _5_ buyers. What's more, if a suspended for good person calls them their protocol is to hang up the phone. Very unprofessional. I did not even mention the admins do not bother spending the time to read the email messages and rather respond with generic messages.. Incompetent admins not knowing between friend or foe.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I ordered with Blueorchid Creations for my wedding on December 2018 through Etsy. I was told to pay the full cost of my order upfront at that time (no other options were offered) and an agreement was sent to me confirming final approval photos of my product in July 2019 with shipping of the final products in August 2019. Four problems arose with this order:

1) The order was severely delayed.

- Despite regular messages to request information on my order, final photos were not sent until September 2019, 2 months late. My order was not delivered until Sept 30th, 2019, one month late. No clear explanation was given for this delay and while they were always quick to respond to messages, I only got updates on my order when I messaged them first on a weekly, sometimes daily basis.

2) The flowers are shipped on their side in regular shipping boxes.

- This means the bouquets all came flattened on one side and one of the boxes holding all the bridesmaid bouquets literally got crushed since there was no fragile label or special box used. Blueorchid creations doesn't claim to ship them upright, but I felt buyers would like to know this as it would have certainly affected my purchasing choices had I known I would be responsible for reforming and fixing my products after shipping.

3) The garland I ordered was changed without my approval.

- Blueorchid creations sent a photo of the garland to approve prior to shipping - which I loved. However prior to shipping they added multiple huge hydrangea arrangements to it. This was upsetting as it meant I received a product not as I had ordered and was now faced with fixing it myself or returning it and hoping no more delays occurred so it could be returned to me in time for the wedding.

4) I was made to pay for a product upfront that was not shipped for over 6 months.

- By requiring full payment in December 2018, this meant that when I received damaged and wrong products on a delayed timeline in September 2019 I was unable to open a case on Etsy (only available for 100 days post payment) and unable to leave a review on Etsy to warn other buyers (only available for 100 days post payment). This is a huge gap in Etsy's buyer protection policies and Blueorchid creations has benefitted from it as there was no way for me to review them or open a case against them.

I contacted etsy via chat and email to discuss these concerns and heard nothing in 2 days. I called them after finally finding a phone number for customer service (very hard to find) and was told there is nothing they can do and there is no way to leave a review as it is past the window. It is absurd that they allow sellers to charge buyers so far in advance of shipment of the product if they are unwilling to support the buyer when that product arrives.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I ordered an item from a seller on Etsy and paid through PayPal. Not realizing the item was shipping from Hong Kong at $7.53 shipping, I quickly contacted the shop requesting to cancel and refund the order. The seller promptly issued a refund through Etsy but I have to wait 17 days before I can open a case and get my money back. Etsy holds onto the money so they can use in their bottom line to earn interest for the days until they issue the refund. This is a shady and undesirable business practice. I will now shop some place for the cross stitch items I need domestically and hassle free.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

It is so easy to add an item to your seller list with the Etsy app. Each category or question that needs to be answered is very easy to access and complete, unlike other company seller apps that make it difficult to view what needs to be completed and that you have completed that category. Etsy is the absolute BEST!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

I've been a seller on Etsy for a two years now with good results. Lately however Etsy pushed to offer free shipping and since then has gone MIA. No sales, no help response, nothing. Still in business?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I bought an item. Days later I received a customs demand for more than half the value of the item or it would be returned to the seller. I had also paid delivery. According to the seller this is an issue exclusive to the UK and Etsy are aware of it, yet no specific warnings on the website. Etsy refuses to help at all. No now both myself & the seller are out of pocket. I had no idea they were not as safe as Amazon or EBay. So please be warned UK customers, you have no guarantee you will get your items and you’ll get no refund or help from Etsy. Dreadful experience from start to finish.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

The difficulty in getting in touch with an ETSY customer service is ridiculous! I need to verify the seller is trustworthy after an order placed in May is still not received and I am astounded at the limitations Etsy put on customer service availability. Will never buy from Etsy again.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Started a new account with Etsy. Listed several Democratic party clothing items for sale. None making any disparaging remarks about any party. None mentioning which party, other than the obvious based on the candidate name. The items simply read X person for President Election 2020. Etsy suspended my acct. They have ignored so far three emails requesting what I did that amounted to a violation, so that I can correct the issue and not repeat. They have sent no email as to why. Nothing at all. Nowhere on my suspended account does it indicate a reason.

I feel an employee at Etsy (of a different political persuasion) and with the power to suspend my account, sabotaged the account out of spite. There are tons of political shirts on Etsy. It was probably not done through the normal channels, so no email is being generated by the system since it's probably not on the radar to be corrected by the seller. All the other reviews talk about how they are making a living on Etsy, seems you are one unpopular design away from being fired from your job then. Just started with Etsy, very skeptical at this point.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I have ordered from several different sellers. In each transaction, either the wrong item was sent, or it’s broken, or as in the latest, I ordered a brooch and the latch won’t close. It appears the coating sealed it open. All this could have been avoided if the seller would check the merchandise before it goes out. I am consistently disappointed and won’t be making any more purchases from Etsy.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

Etsy continues to violate sellers and shut down their shops with no explanation or reason at all. Contact Etsy and they have no explanation.... just a, "Do not contact us anymore" message!!!! They do not tell us how to proceed with our orders, no info on if we will be paid if the item ships. Absolutely nothing and we shop owners have had enough!!!! I have used my social platform to communicate with such shop owners, just like you! If this is you please feel free to leave a comment and we will do our best in numbers to get a resolution, I am in contact with several lawyers and at this point with it being so many sellers that have been violated we need to proceed with a class action suit then so be it, Etsy and their unethical practices need to be stopped.

At this point I am going to contact a lawyer. If you guys do not contact me back I did nothing to violate your guidelines, and I have already connected with approximately 175 ladies in 24 hrs that have experienced the same thing as I, you guys suspended me for no reason, you tell me to contact you and then when I do you say don't call Etsy anymore and that you don't have any information to give me???? I have no logos, no copyright infringement, and you can tell me what I have done. I have an order and you can't tell me what to do about that. This is ridiculous!!!! I don't want to jeopardize the integrity of my shop by these bad business practices. This is unprofessional on your part, and I am req info on why my shop has been suspended. I have over 100,000 followers on social media and this is not RIGHT at all.

At this point I am not interested at all with selling my product on Etsy, but the community of sellers that have been violated by you and your bad business practices have set up a fund to get a lawyer and proceed with a class action lawsuit for this mishandling of our accts. I will hope that someone will contact me with in 3 business days to discuss this manner before we proceed. This will not end well and bring unwarranted publicity to your company. We are willing to use our platform to reach out to new stations, social media, and recordings of the calls where we are rudely told do not call anymore - whatever means to shed light on these unprofessional business practices that you have for your sellers.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I recently purchased a watch. I was looking at one site where the seller had good ratings. I had a watch come on the screen which I collect. I purchased the watch from what I thought was the site I was looking at. It turned out that the watch was from some fraud in Morocco that somehow got into the seller I was looking at. When I asked Etsy to assist me I was told the seller was no longer on Etsy. I would need to contact my bank and Paypal. I was lucky the transaction was still pending and got it canceled from PayPal. I will never buy from this company again. No fraud department, finally got a phone number and got the old song and dance "we are sorry. we will have someone contact via email, winky, winky." Etsy should be investigate for consumer fraud. This should not be allowed to continue.

Etsy Company Information