3.9/5 (2100 ratings)

About Etsy

Etsy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I signed up to sell with Etsy having sold on other sites across the Internet including Amazon and Ebay. During the process of verifying my banking information, which was incredible invasive compared to any other website out there, they asked to verify the first 2 numbers of my social. Who asks for that? I answered another one of their security questions and then it immediately defaulted and said that I had to send a picture of myself holding my license. No explanation as to why. It's not like I haven't signed up with online selling sites before and never had this problem. Etsy is based out of New York City and after doing some research they've been linked to Identity theft having to do with the new New York laws and the flood of Illegal immigrants going there. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION. They will steal YOUR IDENTITY.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

Etsy is impossible to contact. Ordered an item that took over 2 months to get. The company wouldn’t let me return it. The craftsmanship is very poor and it was super expensive! Sent pictures to the co, & to Etsy case but Etsy wouldn’t help claiming they “can’t tell when the damages occurred.” This is not an issue of damaged item, it is an issue of poor quality product being sold for 10 times what its worth on their website and no way to contact the website. Now I am left with a product that I wasted my money on and neither the company or Etsy are even listening to me. I feel that if I could just call and speak to someone maybe I could explain what the issue is.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

Etsy is suspending accounts for no reason. Me and my wife signed up to Etsy to open a shop, we completed the process of adding both billing and payment ways, we added products and opened the store. 2 minutes later we are unable to login to the site, and no communication at all from the Etsy staff. This is the worst experience as a reseller I have had. Stay away from Etsy, at all cost!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I primarily sell jewelry, clothing at craft shows, and various marketplaces online; we thought we would give Etsy a try. Right away, we were excited to get a sale by a customer who bought a pair of jade rings with gold plating on them. A few weeks later, he sends messages complaining that it isn't 24k gold. Of course it isn't! We listed in our description that it's only a gold coating. Then he starts sending more messages stating that the jade is fake, and that what we sent is not the same as the picture of the product in our listing; both of these are odious lies. He then demanded a refund.

At this point, the buyer opened a case with Etsy to resolve this conflict. The buyer escalated the case, and now Etsy themselves demanded we refund this buyer. I was out of town during their last message, and come home to find that Etsy completely refunded this guy less than 24 hours after their prior message. In short, we dealt with a buyer who had very high expectations, and did not read or understand our listing, then proceeded to fling baseless accusations against us out of dissatisfaction. Etsy completely took his side in this matter and refunded him for his behavior, thus allowing him to take our product at no cost, whatsoever. If you sell products on Etsy, best of luck to you. I'm done with them.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

Never never buy anything from this site. I ordered 3 wooden shelves as shown on the photo and as described in the ad. They sent me one piece of junk, rotten wood and charged me $98. There is no customer service phone no. I emailed to the seller. Responded with harsh words and no accountability. A crook site. Never shop!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

Etsy offers a unique shopping experience in one of a kind merchandise from all over the world. I love the ability to buy hand made unique clothing and jewelry. They have something for everyone. The website is extensive and secure. So much to peruse and enjoy. Take a peek and you will surely find something for yourself or someone special.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I purchased and paid for what was advertised as 'Only 1 Left' silver Plated NOble Reindeer, Family Snow Globe on the 17 March 2019. Regardless of numerous follow up emails from myself forwarded to Etsy and the seller Magicaldeco over a six month period, the seller failed to supply the product. The seller in their last email of 6 months later, advised the goods were shipped to another country and a different address which didn't even resemble my confirmed address in the slightest and that they were having problems with shipping.

The last email received from Etsy Support announced that I had been issued with a refund. However, 2 weeks later after my further followup emails; I was given assurances from the director of magicaldeco, Ms Margitta **. She would send a refund and she would pay the money back. Regardless of further emails to the seller from myself, the communication from the seller ceased and 11 months later still waiting for the refund!! What is even more disappointing; the item that was originally advertised as 'Only 1 left' Silver Noble Reindeer Family Snow Globe is still being advertised as such for sale on Etsy??

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I found that Etsy was very professional to deal with and delivered a quality product in an efficient time frame. I would consider shopping with them again in a heartbeat. The Seller I dealt with was good. I know there may be some who aren't so great but my experience was very positive.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I placed an order on Feb 2, it's now Feb 7th, and it says payment is still processing, but they took my money though fast as hell. I've contacted Etsy about the problem and have gotten nowhere with them. BE CAREFUL BUYING FROM ETSY. It doesn't even seem to have real people to handle issues. Just automatic bots to respond through email. This has been an annoying experience believe me. Think twice before purchasing with them.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I've sold on Etsy for over 7 years with a 5 star rating 99% positive rating and was top 1 percent seller, only to get my store closed down due to one negative report. Absolutely no explanations, and when giving them a call rudely drop the phone and tell me not to contact their business anymore. I've heard that "workers" on Etsy close down shops, as their friends/family members open up same shops and they promote them instead and close down competing shops. Funny thing is that they are a "handmade" platform, but they support factory made Chinese items more than their local, US sellers. If you are looking to buy or sell with etsy, know that they have absolutely no customer service and reply to email days if not weeks later. Won't deal with ever again.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Word of warning from an experienced Etsy Seller. I hired a VA from Upwork. Please take the time to read: Unfortunately Etsy privately punishes those of us who use VAs. I'm living proof. My VA had a little digital shop, completely harmless. However, Etsy suspended her shop and also suspended 5 of her employers. This happened to me last Friday. Etsy did not send me an email with an explanation from their legal department. All they do is apply a notice in your shop with a frowny face emoji telling you that your shop has been suspended. So I sent a total of 3 emails asking for an explanation. After all, we live in the USA and do have due process rights that are inherent. Still, no replies.

I called and two people read from a script telling me to never contact Etsy again -- that they are severing ties. My sales brought my shop into the top 2% of all sellers and I had perfect feedback, no copyright infringements, no complaints. I learned about the other shops being suspended because I posted in a private Etsy Seller group and someone came forward and told me that she had been on Etsy for 13 years and had sold almost 50,000 items! She was treated the same way. So, I'm BEGGING any seller to stay away from VA's -- unless you want to risk losing your hard earned business. Better to hire someone from the USA that has no interest in selling on Etsy.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I made a purchase that included items from 4 different sellers. I paid for my purchase through PayPal, which does not offer the choice for choosing a shipping address. It just uses the shipping address that Paypal has on file, which was my current correct address. Somehow a glitch in the Etsy autopay system selected an old address they had on file to send to the sellers who then proceeded to ship my items out to my old address. Needless to say, they were already delivered before I wondered where my items were.

I contact Etsy requesting a gift card or a credit for the total purchase of $89.68. They offered me nothing, even though it was their error--not the seller's--not mine. That is the thanks you get for being a 9 year customer who has made multiple purchases through them. Account closed, out $89.68! I will give ALL of my business to eBay from now on for these types of purchases. I have had issues with purchases through them in the past--all resolved properly.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

I have been a loyal Etsy shopper for years. This Fall On Nov 29th I found the perfect gift for my sister for Christmas, a vintage drawing from France that she had admired years before at a friend's house. I ordered it and paid $320. I was notified by the seller on Dec 6th that the art had shipped. I waited and waited but the art never arrived, I contacted the seller and they had no answer for me about where the package could be. Christmas came and went, no gift for my sister. I filed a claim with Etsy, they did their "research" and closed the case because the seller provided a copy of the shipping receipt. It is now February and I have still not received the art and suspect I never will, I'm out $320 with no offer from Etsy for reimbursement, just "case closed". Very disappointing.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

So far I have bought items from 8 shops and 2 of the shops have taken my money and delivered no items after 30 days of waiting, still no items showing they left their country of origin which is ridiculous especially for items from Europe and China as I have bought from sellers all over the world for decades and no one has never failed to ship and fail to show a status that the package had cleared customs which has happened to me by 3 sellers on Etsy.

I even opened a case for refund and Etsy ignored it and closed it when I showed proof that the item never entered US customs and was still in its country of origin. Therefore, I have had to contact the FTC, CPA, and my state's Atty Gen to file a claim against them which they will help me finally. Just a shame that consumers are treated this badly.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I purchased a gold necklace around Early December for Christmas. Christmas eve (late) arrived with The Wrong name Spelling. With a note Saying Enjoy!! (with the correct spelling.ON THE PAPER.) I contacted the seller.. I was told to send it back he would remake it. So I did THEN he messaged me he received it Early January 7/8th. Now JANUARY 28TH. NO WORD, EMAIL OR NECKLACE. ALEXA WAS THE NAME NOT ALEX. WASTE OF $100. NEVER AGAIN. AND NO RESPONSE NOW???

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I recently closed my Etsy shop, here's why! After a year I finally got my first sell, pretty good feeling I must say after waiting over a year! Then the buyer abruptly cancels the order and I refunded her the money on the day before I was due to ship the item. Then I get a notice that Etsy charged me $30 for the cancellation on a $50 purchase, which really never happened. I emailed them for an explanation. I never received a response, so I closed my account. Then they charged me $3 to close, which doesn't seem like much. But after I just paid my $19 monthly fee this past week and which I have over 3 weeks of time left on my shop, all told I lost $42 on a $50 dollar purchase that never happened and that doesn't included the percentage they took for the sell, which I have no idea what that is yet. So for what it's worth, I recommend not ever using Etsy to sell anything your worked so hard to create, your time and $ is worth so much to than Etsy thinks!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

Like so so much here, my Etsy shop was also closed with no real reason (maybe Etsy should get shut down see if they like it) so I tried to close my shop for good and they say that my reviews will be viewed forever. Great! So I need my reviews to continue to somewhere much better, but when I go to select my reviews, "OOPPPPSSS there's a problem with your shop." So Etsy you genius.. if my reviews are public where are they????

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

Konor ** is SCAMMER! I bought from him an "Orgonite® Pendant - Tree of Life orgone® energy healing amulet pendant with quartz crystal & EMF protection from cell phones" for 44$ each. The product arrived 1.5 month later, and the product itself has no any energy or use, I didn't feel any benefit or improvements, he sells it as it has crystal in it, but it is not true! I have 2 the same Orgonite pendants, and I found out that they are in different size, which makes me think about his products that they have very LOW QUALITY! The review he has on his page is written by his friends and relatives who tells good words about the product, but they are lying! I wanted to return the product back, but he is not replying me 4th day already. NEVER BUY FROM THE SCAMMER HIS PRODUCTS. I have the worst experience with him!!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I’m give a one star review for delay delivery, guess what! It’s blocked me from the store! I look for same product in Etsy. Every store are perfect 5 stars. What a scam! If store can not be up for criticism, I can’t see how they are honest about theirs product!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Was a seller on there. My shop got bad standing because a customer entered the wrong address so they never received their item. So customer opens case against me without messaging me. I refunded immediately. Lost money on shipping item. My fault I guess. Another customer left a bad review. Then changed it to a five star review and bought another item off me right away. So I got one bad review out of 286 sales and they put me in bad standing and now I’m danger of losing my shop. Can’t even sleep. So stressed out. Have no other income so probably going to lose my house. Invested a tube of money and time. Thought I was doing ok and was going to expand but nope. Don’t sell on there. Start your own website. They also make you ship to every country so China went and bought my products. Made fake ones and now other sellers are selling my items and I’m getting shown the door over one review.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Allowed me to place an order with a seller they no longer allowed on their site and told me to resolve the issue with PayPal. Etsy told me that I could try to resolve the issue with the seller if they ever allowed him to sell on their site again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I ordered a NHL jersey from "Frameshop". It was a good price so I purchased it. What I wasn't told is that it was shipping from Russia... YES Russia. Once it shipped, I had to click on "Tracking" to find out it was coming from Russia. It was too late to stop the shipment so until this date, they cannot tell me the carrier or how the transit is coming along. It just says "tracking information is not available". Just crossing my fingers. What a mess. They should be upfront about any shipments coming from outside of the U.S.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I had a dispute with an order. On December 15, the dispute was decided in my favor and I was to receive a refund of $16.50. It hasn't happened. I have not received the refund and Etsy insists I have. There is NOTHING in either my Paypal account or on my Discover card. I have had 10 chats with 14 Etsy employees. I have answered emails from the Etsy resolution team. I have sent screenshots of my accounts. Today I spent 3 1/2 hours in chat or on the phone with Etsy. Their policy states the refund would take 3-5 business days. It has been 32 days and I have wasted my time and good mood trying to resolve this. Despicable customer service. I would rate it as one of the worst I have ever dealt with and I am 64 years old.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I opened up a shop ETSY site to sell my things shortly after it started. I did ok there for a while until THIS happened!! I was notified from etsy that they thought I was not making my own items (which was required at the time)!! I have been an artist for OVER 40 years. They told me I could not sell on my items on their site anymore unless I could provide video "proof" of me making the items! I told them the items were already made; because I cannot go back and make videos of me making already finished items, they removed my listings.

They also wanted a whole bunch of personal information, PHOTOS inside my personal work place and photos of any employees who worked for me, etc. I thought this was outrageous, and closed my account. Since that time years ago they have been spamming me with garbage mail from their site that I cant stop; I cannot log in (required) to get help to get them to stop spamming me because I closed my account. They put me in a retaliatory catch-22 for dumping them. Etsy absolutely STINKS.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I ordered a necklace from a shop in Ukraine in early November. It was scheduled to arrive in mid-December. It never came. I gave it a bit more time because of holidays, but 2 months later the necklace still never arrived. UkrPosta (Ukraine postal service) tracking shows it left Ukraine in Nov, but it never arrived in USA. I tried to contact the shop. But in their shipping details they state the shop refuses responsibility for items lost in mail. So I seemed to have no recourse with the shop.

I wanted to leave a review, but I never got the option to review the item at that shop, because Etsy seems to have lost all record of the purchase. Without a purchase, you cannot review. I tried to contact Etsy, but Etsy has no feedback or complaints system I could find. I tried to delete my account but the best I can do is cancel it. There seems to be no account deletion available. And, again, there's no way I could find to try to contact Etsy to discuss the problem with them or to complain. Luckily I've only lost $26. It could've been worse. I'd warn others tempted to use Etsy to steer clear. It's not a good system at all. They may show tracking but it obviously is no guarantee you will actually receive your item.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

In conjunction with Etsy not properly vetting vendors, this and my own ignorance cost me over a thousand dollars by a scammer vendor. I still cannot find a way to even text Etsy about this. The scammer played their policies perfectly to avoid an automatic refund. I have had similar issues of sellers not shipping products on Ebay and Amazon, but they have effective customer service which promptly took care of the problem. It's like Etsy is on autopilot, no one is home.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I made a purchase on Dec 14th for a purse on Etsy. I Tried contacting the seller through Etsy and was informed that the seller did not exist. I tried contacting the seller directly and received no reply. I was finally allowed by Etsy to open a case, but the company immediately closed it unresolved saying the seller was no longer on their marketplace and I needed to take my complaint up with PayPal instead. Worst place ever to order from, go somewhere else.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

On Dec 31 I ordered 10 yards of fabric for 108.88 from seller Cynthia whose shop is PRETTYGOODWOMAN. She refused to answer any messages for 2 days. On Friday she sent an email stating I should receive my order by Monday, I asked for the third time for a tracking number but NO RESPONSE. WELL MONDAY CAME AND GONE and guess what the Etsy shop prettygoodwoman was deleted. Still I don't have my product or my money and Etsy has FAILED to respond. I'm thinking I need to go to their Brooklyn business location and see if ETSY even exist. If Not I'm gonna sue them for conspiracy to commit monetary recourse fraud under RICO. Too bad I can't share the screenshots to verify what I'm saying but DONT DO BUSINESS WITH ETSY. THEY'RE A SCAM and most sellers are scams as well. ** them. POS 40 thieves. Mfs. They need to be sued all of them.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I have a seller's account. Etsy nickels and dimes their sellers. Connecting Square to Etsy charges you a fee. Then you get charged fees for sales not attached to Etsy by Etsy when you use Square. They want you to eat the cost of shipping by offering better placing with their algorithm. If you raise your pricing to reflect shipping being added bargain hunters won't purchase from you. Then each sale gets a percentage of each sale. I sold some items totalling $18.30. By the time Etsy was done taking my money I was left with $7.13. How is it I put in all of the work, make and ship the item, but they get paid more for it and I don't break even? I figured the percentage they were supposed to take was just 91 cents. Where's the rest of the money gone? I tried reaching out and was told they couldn't help through chat and would email back. It's been three days now and no word. They stole my money. Etsy swindles artists.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I am not at all satisfied by customer service Etsy provides. It's biased and always from buyer side. They never think from seller point of view. Very very bad experience on day of Xmas. Poor customer service.

Etsy Company Information