3.8/5 (1745 ratings)

About Etsy

Etsy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Etsy?

Original review: June 4, 2020

Etsy targeted my shop. I was a shop that sold cactus on Etsy until I was told my shop was shut down because I was allegedly selling prohibited cactus. Etsy lists three species of Trichocereus cacti as prohibited but don't realize there are over 100 species of Trichocereus and I wasn't selling any that where prohibited. Because they had the same first name my shop was shut down during the COVID crisis and it was my only source of income. They don't respond to my requests to appeal their decision as is my right according to their own rules. There has been no response from Etsy and I feel I was targeted for some reason. There are many stores on Etsy that do sale the prohibited cacti and have so for over a year and nothing has been done to them.

Original review: June 1, 2020

I am very disappointed in my recent experience with Etsy. I ordered some face masks from two different sellers. I received shipping notices from each seller but the entire amount was taken from my account by Etsy, not individual sellers. Now Etsy is trying to withdraw that same amount a second time and it caused my checking account to overdraw. It is still a pending charge since May 27th and holding my money. I can understand a mistake but my main complaint is the reason I will no longer do business with Etsy. There is no way to contact them. There is not a phone number or an email listed on their website. I found an email hidden away in one of the FAQ, verification@etsy.com. It said you would receive a response in 24 hrs. It was been 5 days and no response and no refund.

Original review: May 29, 2020

I ordered facial masks for corona from Rchrds Designs. I ordered and pay with my debit card (big mistake) on May 11th and received an email on May 17th stating the masks were shipped. It said shipped from Pittsburg, CA. When my bank account posted the payment it was for Rchrds Designs in Brooklyn, NY. I had read the reviews prior to purchasing and all were good. Needless to say, I never received my items, now there is no Rchrds Designs on Etsy, can't contact seller, and Etsy really doesn't care. This was my very first experience with Etsy, and I am so for sure it will never happen again. I guess I will chock this up to lesson learned and stay with what you know.

Resolution response: May 29, 2020

After a few attempts I finally got to talk to someone at Etsy and they have now issued a full refund for the masks I never received. I am now much happier with Etsy, but will not order from HomeVILLAR again.

Original review: May 28, 2020

HomeVILLAR sold me 3 masks for $28.50 and says they were delivered by UPS but I have never received them. HomeVILLAR does not respond to my complaint. I contacted ETSY and their response was that it shows there were delivered even though I told them the masks were NEVER delivered. Neither ETSY nor HomeVILLAR will respond.

Original review: May 26, 2020

I love Etsy and I'll continue shopping on their site. I had an antique item I bought, it arrived broken and Etsy would not help me in having the seller reimburse me. They did respond promptly to the case but there was no support and their reply was they do not intervene if the item is broken during shipment, which it was. As I've now learned, there is stark difference between Etsy and Ebay on this. But on an encouraging note, most sellers are honest and will do the right thing and you wouldn't have to escalate the case. Others unfortunately don't. I still think Etsy is a great place to shop.

Original review: May 23, 2020

I ordered face masks On ETSY from a company named SOULMONOGRAM. I never received the mask! SOULMONOGRAM stole my $36.00! Stay clear of these scam artists!! Beware of ETSY and SOULMONOGRAM! This is not the first time ETSY has not been upfront with their advertisements.

Original review: May 19, 2020

I ordered a chocolate hamper from Etsy for a birthday gift and was given a timeframe in which this would be delivered. Not only did this not happen, I never received the hamper at all. I contacted Etsy on 4 separate occasions to find out what had happened and received zero response, despite Etsy having taken my payment approximately 10 days earlier. I felt completely cheated and as if they simply don't care about their customers. More importantly, they had stolen my money!

I would rate them 0 out of 10 for providing me with absolutely nothing for my money. I will never use them again. If you find yourself in this situation and have paid by debit card, call your bank and ask to use their 'chargeback scheme'. This means they can refund your money from the seller's bank back into your account. This is what I did and it worked really quickly.

Original review: May 19, 2020

Some sellers on this side are spam. It is not possible to contact Etsy over the phone or email to resolve an issue. For example I ordered tomato trees, seller haven't sent it to me so I opened case, then the seller stated that they sent it to me and Etsy closed case. I'm not able to continue complaining about this case. Wasn't able to find any Etsy's contact info such as phone or email.

Original review: May 17, 2020

I went through the Etsy online because I noticed a TV show from the 50s called our Miss Brooks and I wasn't aware of SCARYGUY video copied this tv show on dvd-r. They claim it's perfectly ok to do so, but I found out it's illeagal to copy from a copyright tv show and sell online to the public !!!!

Original review: May 16, 2020

All of the Etsy shops received a statement from the owner stating that we would be supported and could take our time paying our invoices to Etsy during covid-19. However, I have received constant reminders and lack of support in any way. I have written and received no response. During these uncertain times in the world right now, it is the most important time to display compassion and moral values together with business ethics. Etsy has shown me its lack of ethics by restricting my account during this time. The statement was clearly a facade to the convince the public they stand by their shop owners. But they do not. I'm closing my shop and opening elsewhere. This is so sad. I do not wish to be connected to unethical business people.

Original review: May 14, 2020

I recently listed a couple of my items on Etsy but they deactivated my account without properly explaining me the reason, sent me scary emails that they will submit me to the collection agencies if they willing to, and have frozen my $50 dollars for 6 months which I earned by selling 4 items. The customer service demonstrates absolute disrespect and harassment, and don't even think that the actions are legal. They just took my money and do not want to pay me back. Disgusting customer service and unreliable selling platform. Regards, Paul.

Original review: May 14, 2020

I ordered a guestbook for my wedding. I choose this seller on Etsy because he provided a wide variety of custom options for your book that I couldn't find anywhere in my country. At first the seller was amazing to deal with then I got my book and it was missing my wedding date and our names, the picture that was supposed to be inside and the biggest thing for me black sheets as this is a photo guestbook. I reached out to him he apologized and wanted to make another one for me to which I accepted as we all make mistakes and have bad days. He made a second one for and when I received this one I opened it to discover it still wasn't right. So I reached out to him again and this time he ignored me (previously he would get back to me within a few hours the most) and took 10 days to reply to me. How do I know I was ignored because I sent an inquiry about a different product from another email and he replied to that one.

I reached out to etsy about my issue who said they sent him a message about my concern and to reach out to me. Days later he did and offered to do another one. This book was apparently sent "without tracking" and I never even received this shipment and he had no way of tracking it because he didn't put tracking on it. Who does that? So keeping in mind that EACH time I got an incorrectly made book I kept incurring custom fees over $15 each time on top of a book that was already $200. The last book I received the one thing he got right on all the other books he did wrong on this book. I almost feel like it was done on purpose to be honest. It took like 5 months in total before I got this last book that I just settled with because I was tired of going back to him. I did message him to let him know I had it and that he was still incorrect but I'd just accept it and deal with it. He didn't even reply with an apology for still messing up.

As for Etsy I pondered over if I should review this guy or not as I hate to talk negatively but decided that it was important that people should be aware that if you order something from this guy (his work is amazing but you don't get what you order) you should ask to see the product before he ships it to make sure it is correct. When I went to place my review I wasn't able to do so no where was there a review section for me to do so. I reached out to Etsy who replied you have a 120 days to place a review to protect the integrity of the SELLER so they don't give a rats ass about the buyer.

This 120 day period was up before I even got the last book from him and they would in no way budge on allowing me to do a review. How do you review something that you don't have by a hidden review deadline. I have never seen anywhere that a customer couldn't provide a review when they wanted to. I didn't see anywhere either that alerts buyers hey you have a deadline to review. It's left such a sour taste in my mouth now that I will no longer buy off Etsy so if I can't find the other things I saw on Etsy I liked locally then I will do without them.

Original review: May 14, 2020

I have been on Etsy for multiple years and have rode the wave of ups and downs through the years with Etsy and its changes. For such a large company with multiple sellers and buyers, their tech team appears non-existent. I have been locked out of one of my shops for over a week now and I have used chat and called 5x now with little assistance other than “it has been escalated” and some nebulous person with IT has the info and will get back to me. Etsy can’t tell me how long that will be, which is infuriating. Another day? Another week? By the end of 2020?

I am not confident anyone will get back at this point. At least most large companies will give you a time frame of when they will call back or get back to you. In the meantime, I am recouping money for sales I cannot send out because I can’t get into my shop for names and addresses. That makes both me and Etsy look bad. Beware of opening a shop on Etsy. I think I will jump to ebay after this. I hear their customer service response time is MUCH faster.

Original review: May 14, 2020

Etsy will not back up customers when a product is not received. Etsy and the seller get paid, but the buyer is out the money, even when proof is shown that the product did not arrive. I reached out to their support who did nothing.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I open a shop on Etsy to sell digital (file) items which definitely created by me. After 2 months suspending and having my request, it sent me a mail to have my information. And its very 2nd mail is revoking my activities on its system forever with a few words: high-risk based on close view of my account. No more than that. Can that make any satisfaction for anyone in my situation? After reading reviews in here, I found out 2 things: they seem to want to support their "close" shops selling similar items; and 2. I might be lucky not to sell on it, because of the risk of payments and credit security. I am gonna call my bank to change my credit card for my safety. Thanks for the reviews. They're clear and helpful to me.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I have purchased on Etsy for several years and had considered opening a shop there. Wanting to learn more about Etsy and what goes on behind the scenes, I made use of the forums, and I got an education. While there are in fact many legitimate crafters, artisans, vintage/antique shop keeps there they have been buried under a plethora of resellers and unscrupulous shops who sell at best 'iffy' handmade items and there is no shortage of copyright/trademark issue items.

I really used to enjoy spending money at Etsy. No more. Aside from what appears to be a shift to a reseller marketplace, my time in the forums painted a rather dismal picture of the lack of support offered to both shops and buyers alike. Policing of policies is left to those who buy and sell there and it is apparent very little is being done about it. There are countless people looking for information and support on a multitude of subjects that is not readily available for issues they are experiencing both buying and selling as well as content they encounter.

I have decided to take my business elsewhere. It's just become way too suspect to be trusted. Don't take my word for it. If you are considering either selling or buying on Etsy, first have a good long peruse through the forum topics to see what you are letting yourself in for. This is not a recent manifestation but rather a slow decay that's been festering and growing for a couple of years. I will never sell on Etsy and darn sure I will never sell or purchase there again. There are plenty of true artisan, one of a kind and vintage shops like the ones that Etsy was founded on to be found elsewhere.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I have ordered twice from Etsy sellers.... Did not receive either order, owners “went on short break".... Had to send cases to resolution. Seems to be no vetting of sellers to see if they are legitimate. Never again will I trust anyone on this site.

Original review: May 10, 2020

I received a gift card from a family member for Etsy after they read false advertising by Etsy about how well they were doing selling products that were not masks, an increase of 47% . This is not true. Etsy sales went up mainly because of mask sales. I don't want this card. I have had nothing but problems on Etsy and got scammed. I want my money back from Etsy. I will not purchase anything from their site. Lots of scammers on this site and liars as well. Contact a federal agency.

Original review: May 7, 2020

BEWARE TO SELLERS! During the pandemic we sold two items for $1100.00. They held monies for three weeks and as of today we have not received our monies for items sold. We have communicated with the buyers and they had received their items. They are very pleased with their purchases of items my daughter purchased 6 months ago for twice the amount we are selling for. Twenty one days have passed and Etsy is still holding her monies for items sold. WE ARE VERY SAD FROM USING ETSY! They have not ever done this before just during the hardship times during a pandemic. My daughter cried because she felt that she had been ripped off. She was to use the money to buy more items to use during the stay at home order in place. The arrogance of ETSY to continue running Advertisement on TV during the Pandemic is overwhelming to say the least.

Original review: May 6, 2020

We closed our seller's account on Feb 27, 2019. On May 1st, they charged us for the next quarter. I'm unable to connect to support or billing, since they require that I log in. Because my account is closed (deactivated), I am unable to log in. My CC company is reversing the charges, but it's clear they are using tricky methods to attempt to boost their income without authorization.

Original review: May 4, 2020

I recently created a new shop. Didn't even get the chance to post a listing and my account was suddenly suspended for no reason, with no notification. Since I am starting a business, this is a crucial time as time equals money. With the account suspended, I cannot do a thing. I emailed Etsy support and it has been a week, with no response from them. Today I just noticed that the bank account I linked to Etsy for deposit had a few unauthorized transactions. I created this bank account for business purposes, and have yet to use it. I only used it with Etsy so far, so it makes sense to conclude that Etsy or someone from Etsy used my bank account to make unauthorized transactions. HORRIBLE SERVICE. I am not using Etsy ever again, for anything.

Original review: May 4, 2020

I ordered a face mask through the Etsy website but apparently Etsy then passes the order to a company that’s connected to them in some fashion or another and that company is then in charge of facilitating the order. In my case it was YolDiamond out of Las Vegas. When I placed the order in the Etsy site on April 21, 2020. It said if I placed the order. I would receive my mask by May 2nd. I’m flying to California May 8th. (I needed the mask for my flight there) So I proceeded with the order. 5 days later, on April 26th I received an email saying that my order was shipped and would arrive April 28 - May 2nd. Well now it’s May 4th and still no mask.

I had some email communications with YolDiamond and they said it could take a month because of the mail. (They’re blaming it in the mail) When I’ve been receiving mail from family and Amazon faster than I’ve ever received mail in my life. They also are blaming the lag on the pandemic when I ordered the item during the pandemic and I was given a delivery date based off of that. Well let’s just say I’m not too happy or buying what they were telling me. They also told me they have 5 star reviews. I tried finding them to write a review and I can’t find them to even write a review. I can only find them on the Etsy website and you can’t write a review for them there either.

When I look at Etsy reviews I find over and over people running into the same problems I’m currently dealing with. Now when I look at the YolDiamond site on Etsy it says that they are no longer taking orders because they are too backed up and here they said my mask was mailed over a week ago and it could take a month for me to receive it because of the mail being slow because of the pandemic. Be cautious buying from this site and this vendor. There are a lot of one star reviews. Just make sure you scroll through the top layer of reviews because it seems like they stay on top of this and post 5 star reviews to hide alll the one star reviews below. Good luck, Be safe and I hope you all have better luck finding a place that’s honest and gets you your mask.

Original review: May 1, 2020

Ordered a gorgeous handmade bracelet from Melanie @ GrayStokes Jewellery and I absolutely it. Exactly as per photo, with beautiful interlocking links and prompt professional service. Would highly recommend for a unique piece.

Original review: April 30, 2020

I recently purchased something from a shop on Etsy and accidentally ordered too much. I contacted the shop immediately to request to amend the order. I sent subsequent messages and contacted Etsy support but they told me I just had to wait on the Seller. The seller finally contacted me after 5 days offering to cancel my order. I wrote them back 27 minutes after their message and have not received a confirmation, or a refund (that was 6 days ago). While, I have an issue with the lack of communication and professionalism from the Seller, I'm more perturbed over the lack of support Etsy offered, given that they are the ones who charged my credit card immediately. I reached out to them for help 4 times, clearly documenting my efforts to contact the shop, trying to get them to intervene or refund me given that they had the power to charge me in the first place.

This whole experience has made me realize how imbalanced the entire Etsy experience is for consumers. While I love to support small businesses, consumers rely on Etsy to hold these businesses to a certain standard and pre vet them. What really convinced me that Etsy is unconcerned with the consumer experience is in one of my chats when their representative told me the following: Isha: "I really understand your frustrations on this and if I were in your shoes I will feel the same way. I really appreciate your understanding and extended patience on this. If you could just have at least a 1% trust that the seller will surely respond on your email."

I think it really says something when your reps are asking consumers--whose money ETSY took--to have a minimum of 1% confidence in the sellers Etsy supports on their platform. That's how low they're asking their customers to set the bar. To me that's not just sad, but has me losing all confidence in any of their vendors as well as Etsy as a company to attract, vet, and support honest businesses. Amazon also supports smaller sellers, but when you call them with a question or problem, they are solution oriented and resolve the issues.

As of 4 days ago the same customer reps I have been chatting with this whole time who could not do anything, finally did something and sent my case was sent to a "specialist". So first of all, they could do something this whole time, but forwarding my case to a specialist who was supposed to reach out separately has still yielded no results. It's been 11 days. The money has been taken out of my account, and I can't even get a response from the seller or a straight answer or satisfactory resolution from the company that offers them an online platform to sell on. I feel like I got robbed.

Original review: April 30, 2020

Ordered a mask from a shop called ShopEnvysaje, run by Coryn **. My order was placed and had recieved 0 updates on my order and when asked she used an extreme excuse to cover herself along with petty comments. Do not be fooled, this store is a joke. Nothing but one star reviews and I should have looked into them first before even considering to place this order.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I ordered 3 masks on April 4th. It said ships between 3 and 5 days. I still have not received order. I have reached out to company 3 times, they informed me they have taken a break but or not closed. On April 16th said they are working hard and have run out of supplies. I am a healthcare professional who works with dialysis patients, some who are waiting results from coronavirus testing. I ordered the masks so I would feel I was protecting others when I go get groceries or gas. Very disappointed.

Original review: April 22, 2020

First time using Etsy, ordered a Face Mask from “OfficialMerchUS” based out of Florida. I paid $22 because their profile says “Ships from Florida”. They collected my money, and ordered the mask from China to be delivered to my home. I wish I was joking. I now have a facemask, that they probably paid $5 for with my money, coming to my home from the COVID-19 capital of the world. And the best part? You can’t talk to ANYONE at Etsy until like a week after it’s delivered. Their policies are insane. This was my first order from them, DEFINITELY my last.

Original review: April 21, 2020

Offers no buyer support and fobs off any queries. Disregards European consumer law and leaves the buyer to chase via card or Paypal. No telephone point of contact. Site is full of fakes and copyright logo infringements. Shambolic service and support.

Original review: April 15, 2020

I ordered 2 masks several weeks ago from a site called Sewby on Etsy. They said that they ship within 3 or 4 days. Well here it is over 2 weeks ago and they still haven't even shipped them! When you contact them all you get is a automated message and when you contact Etsy all you get is a "wait and see if they're delivered" message. Etsy does not monitor the reliability of their sellers nor do they appear to care that some of their sellers are scammers! Don't order from Sewby and think twice about purchasing on Etsy!

Original review: April 14, 2020

Ordered masks in this pandemic. Items shows it was delivered but we didn't receive it. File case with Etsy and it's closed within 2 minutes because they say it was delivered. I understand that people could lie about this but other sites provide a refund or help figure out what happened. I don't think it's the Seller's fault but I think Etsy should stand behind the claim or at least look into it.

Etsy Company Information