1.62/5
Based on 39 reviews that contain star ratings

Bloomfield, NJ

41 Simply Self Storage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

This company bought out the business where I stored some household items. They could not correct a problem so that I could pay my invoices online. When I paid by check, the manager would hold my check until the payment was late, or just not post the payment until days after it cleared the bank. She did this to add late fees to the account. My mother was in hospice and died late in 2017 so I didn’t realize how much these fees were costing me. They literally have a fee for everything. Find a different company. I never write reviews like this, but this company is so unethical I felt I should.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I would like to make a formal complaint about the above business. On 06/30/2018, I paid, by phone, to rent a storage unit for 3 months. On 07/02/2018, when I arrived to move into the storage, a lot of mistakes were made. First of all, I had requested that the storage unit be available for me to move in when the gates open at 6 am, so that I would be able to unload and turn the U-Haul in by 11 am. The storage unit said that it would be no problem since I had already paid my $450. Once I arrived, however, there was a lock on my unit, causing me to have to wait until the worker arrived at 9:30 am. When I questioned the employer about having a lock on my reserved unit, he just looked confused.

Then, the worker unlocked the unit and walked back to the office. My husband and I were shocked to see that inside of the unit, there was a dead rodent. There was blood under the rodent as if he was killed by an even bigger rodent. The storage unit was made of wood and there were holes all over the unit where rodents were crawling from unit to unit. My husband went to the office to tell the worker about the rodent. The worker simply looked at my husband and pointed towards a broom. We expressed our concerns about moving into a unit that was disgusting with a dead rodent still in it, bugs crawling all over, and wet wood. The worker said that he would have the manager, Robert, call us on the next day, however, there are no refunds.

When I didn't hear from the manager, I contacted the corporate office. No response. I have left two online messages, two messages with corporate, and several messages and the rental unit location. Finally, when calling the unit location today, the manager answered. He proceeded to tell me that no refunds are given and that people who move out early do not get any money back. I never even moved into the unit. There are always exceptions that can be made. Since I never moved into the unit, I should be refunded my money. $450 is a lot of money to pay for a unit that is only occupied by rodents.

Oh, and to make matters worse, the manager told me on the phone call today, that it is normal for rodents to run from storage unit to storage unit. That they come from the field next door and are just looking to stay cool, or warm, depending on the season. He saw nothing wrong with putting our furniture in an obviously infested unit. He did not disagree about the rodent holes in the walls of the units or that the rodents are always around. All I want is my money back for this transaction. I never received the product and it was substandard to begin with. Please help.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Simply Self Storage Reynoldsburg Ohio - I had used the Storage units for a couple of years. I was set up on autopay so I never needed to have a conversation with staff. The young lady who assisted me on 6/7/18 was a kind young lady. The managers seem to never be in the office when you go or call. I was charged for a whole month when I clearly sent emails a little over a month ahead of time and left with clean undamaged units, I had two small units. I was very upset when I would call in to get assistance I was ignored. The phone constantly rolled over to voicemail. I have moved completely across the country to the West coast so they have me a little at their mercy. My bank blocked the opportunity for Simply to take any more monies from my account. I have contacted HNB who is coming after you!!!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I am stating that I was relocating from New York to Augusta GA and Simply Self Storage was a great help from beginning to end. The manager (Robert) and staff (Matt) were the best every step of the way. The two units I needed were available and located just right for my move. I would recommend this company to everyone. The pricing and access was exactly what I needed. I am writing this review because I am settled in GA and they played a major part in the success of my relocation adventure. Thanks Robert.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Please to everyone out there do your homework. These are not good people. They do not do good business. They go up on the rent every 6 months. What I first started out my rent was 160 now it's close to $200. Look around. Find someone else your money spends anywhere. They don't care about your business. They just care about your money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Simply Self Storage?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I have been renting a unit for over 2 years at the facility in Lynnfield, MA. I have used my online account for payments and record keeping. Recently, I have been trying to make a payment but after login I receive the message "no units found". Strange because am logged in to my own account. Other bizarre messages come up as well. I have been trying to contact the local manager, Melissa, via phone leaving a few messages, and via e-mails. I even called a few times general number. No response, no fixing the problem. The Headquarters sent me back to the local manager/facility keeper but she is not available, not picking up the phones, and not responding to the messages left. I am told to pay via phone but for that Simply Storage charges extra fees.

The sad part here is that ConsumerAffairs business has been created so everybody can vent anger and frustration BUT there will be no help or intervention I am afraid. The corporations and businesses in USA can do whatever they please, nobody cares. What I hear, rental facilities are the worst: they can steal people's belongings, block access to things, and if police is called they say this is their property and they can do whatever they want. I had that situation in that particular facility as well. Just outrageous! Currently, they will be charging extra for late payments while they are blocking my access to pay. Unbelievable.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I didn't have any problems with renting from Simply Self Storage in Carrolton, Texas till it was time to move. I called ahead and asked to pay my bill because I was staying till May 2, 2016. They told me the cost and I came in that day after work and they provided a check. Two months later I get a note from a credit agency saying I owed $61.00. I called the owner and told her and she said that she would get back with me. I mentioned to her that she not only had my phone number and recent address that they could have sent a bill to me before they sent to the credit agency. I would have then at least been able to provide the receipt they gave me so that they could see that I came to an arrangement with the company before I left. As it stands they lost me as a customer. I will not work with a company who tells me one thing and then sends me to a credit agency.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

My locker was broken into. I pay for the insurance every month. Since the lock was intact, I could not prove my locker was broken into, so it was doubted if I had a case. After I called the sheriff I discovered the entrance for the burglary. I pointed it out to the property manager, and the sheriff and pictures were taken. Since I was not at fault, my anger is directed at the owners of the storage locker, I lost a lot and the list would be too long. The insurance company would like for me to use my rental insurance, I don't want to. My renter’s insurance had nothing to do with this burglary. I feel as if it's the storage company’s fault.

They gave me a faulty storage unit, which caused me a great loss. I am a retiree. That was a big part of my life in that storage unit. Most of my loss can't be replaced. I worked hard to buy good items before I retired a few years ago. I am currently in a bad mental state following this incident. I am still crying and the incident is a week old. Now I can't call the company and get an answer on the phone. Before we found the entrance for the burglary we talked on the phone. Maybe I am being paranoid. I want this to be straightened out and never happen to another tenant.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

In summary: Website had incomplete (false) advertising about cost. Unreasonable charges added on when checking in. Terribly inconvenient access to the indoor lockers. No door stop to hold open the exit door. Dirty hallways. Leaky roof. Restrictions of what can be stored not mentioned on website. They do let you reserve a unit but "that size may not be available on move in". Poor lighting in storage lockers and hallways. Employees not helpful or friendly. Details: I reserved a 5X10 climate controlled unit online at Simply Self Storage in Battle Creek on Oct 3rd to take advantage of their online special of $45 a month. When I checked in they charged me $41.16 for the prorated month until 10/31 but then also charged me $9.35 for Safeguard Prot and an administrative fee of $24 and I had to buy one of their special locks (only good at their units) for $16.95 and tax $0.96 so my total was $91.46 instead of the $45 I expected.

If I didn't have to catch a plane the next morning I would have left right then. I unloaded my 5X8 Uhaul trailer into the space that was not quite 5 ft wide. The locker was inside a maze with no easy access to the parking area. There were no dollies to borrow to make it easier. The outside door to the parking lot was smaller than the locker door so items you removed from the locker had to be readjusted. And then it turned 90 degrees immediately outside to go sideways down a ramp instead of directly into the parking area. The door was on a closer and the only way to keep it open was trying to wedge it open with some broken pieces of concrete which were in the way trying to get stuff through the door.

The locker did not have a light and the ones in the hallways were not effective and kept going off because they were on some timer so I had to use a flashlight. They said I could not leave canned goods in the locker because they were afraid of bugs (with can openers) so I had to move those into the trunk of my car. They did have plenty of dead bugs in the hallway which were not clean at all. When I came back I planned to move out on Nov. 1 but fortunately called because they said I had to have my stuff out by the 31st or I would be charged for another full month (not prorated). When I arrived the "climate" was certainly different from that in the office up front.

When I unloaded my stuff again through the maze and with the door hassle I found that the roof had leaked on some of my stuff. The mildew ruined two pillows and two sheets. Of course I did not realize that until I unloaded my trailer since I couldn't see what had become wet in that dark locker. The staff was not pleasant either when I check in or out. I had to demand a receipt three times (which they did not want to bother giving me) to show I was out on the 31st so I would not get billed for another month.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

My experience was great working with Simply Self Storage in Fort Walton Beach on Harrelson Drive. The property manager, Amanda, was very friendly and did her best to meet my needs. She contacted tenant that was scheduled to move out that day of larger unit that was needed instead of what was available so that I may move into it. She ensured that I received a military discount. The facility is very clean also.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I got enrolled indirect payment method and for that proof I got email confirmation. But Sept 5/17 I get a phone call from the storage unit saying I didn't pay. I look the price is $5 increment and I checked my last month email and I find out I was already enrolled but when I was speaking to the store clerk who is so unprofessional. Anytime when I make a phone call she told, "Unfortunately you didn't enroll." I did mention I did. But her answer was, "If you did it would happen and everyone does?" Very sarcastically. I have email proof and they are making extra money by delaying and automatically un-enrolling me.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

On auto pay each month... Notified of my moving out and was promised my cost would be pro-rated for the month. Moved out on aug 8. Paid for month of August in full on aug 1... Called facility 2x to find out move procedures and was told by 2 different individuals. And they promised adjustments would be credited to card on file with auto pay. Now refusing to refund monies due me and also advised to call corporate. But you can never reach anyone in corporate. Scam when moving out... I will never refer or rent from any. Simply self-storage.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I rented a storage unit from Simply Self Storage for my motor home in November of 2026 paid thru January of 2017 and removed the unit on Jan 19 2017. Informed the office and in March was contacted by the Narcoossee branch and informed that I owed rent. I explained the situation and was assured that it would be taken care of. When my wife and I returned home at the end of May we found a letter from a collection bureau stating that we owed $191.01.

I called the Narcoossee office and was informed that I had to send an email to corporate. I could not find an email for corporate for Simply Self Storage. I called corporate and spoke with an answering service who said that would have to communicate my request to corporate, they had no email or direct # for them. We have an excellent credit score, which now may be ruined by a shoddy company that I do not owe money to and cannot communicate with. Please be advised not to use Simply Self Storage. Please call me or email me with and other actions that I can take.

Original review: May 27, 2017

Steven is an employee at the office at 44th and Sheridan, where I had an emergency on Friday, May 26. Furniture delivery people had not arrived as promised, and I had an imperative appointment an hour after my promised delivery time. Frustration! Steven accepted the cash payment for the delivery people and the key to my unit. He facilitated the delivery, paid them, and even helped them w/ the heavy piece. I returned in a couple hours and retrieved my key from the smiling Steven. Thank you!

Original review: May 17, 2017

I rented a space #317 from Simply Self Storage 1903 Columbia Avenue, Franklin, TN 37064 from www.simplyss.com. When I got there with my items to store the attendant told me that I should look at the space first because it was a corner spot and that the unit size did not actually reflect usable space because of the way it was designed with pointed corners. We agreed that our items would not fit and requested a refund. Since then, I have called each week asking about when to expect a refund and have been told the same thing each time "we have requested from our district management and are expecting a response any day". It has been 7 weeks now. This is not acceptable. I am getting nowhere with my refund and would appreciate any assistance or advice.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

On February 1, 2017, I went to Simply Self Storage on North Watkins St in Memphis, TN to pay for my storage unit. In January 2017, I had an issue with the old storage unit 294 that had a quarter size hole in the ceiling. This hole in the ceiling caused rain water to find its way in to soak half of my items within the storage unit. The former manager had seen what happen and permitted me to move my items to a more secure unit without any known discrepancies. However, without me being fully attentive when paying my storage bill, I paid for storage Unit 294.

After reviewing the receipt, I realized the mistake and on February 2, 2017, I brought the error to the attention of the current manager, Ms. Kate. Ms. Kate was not only professional, but very helpful and solve my issues. I would recommend that should anybody need to rent a storage unit, give simply self-storage on North Watkins in Memphis, TN a try. They are affordable, work with the customer and treat you with respect. Kate, the manager gets a five-star rating from my experience.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

They stole my belongings and sold them to my daughter's boyfriend!! I rented a unit in August 2015. Fell behind in November due to illness. She contacted the person on my account but I got no messages. Claims a letter was sent but never received, no email, no registered letter. I found out that my daughter's boyfriend purchased my unit from them. The he/she that manages the facility is very rude. I have spoken with customer service 12 times in the last two weeks who promise to have a district manager call, still waiting. Am filing suit in small claims against them. My whole life was in there and memories of my father, late husband and all 9 of my children. My daughter, her boyfriend and this person at the facility conspired to do this. I wouldn't be surprised if the manager didn't get some of my things as she told me she and her girlfriend buy auctioned units!! Shameful and illegal practices at SSS in Dearborn.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

Wrongful and deceitful sell of personal belongings (I.e., photos and documents)/household contents. Storage operators remove valuables before takings photos of the contents within a storage unit... For inventory, along with the allocation of fees to become collected outside of the minimal amount due in this matter. The TN Deceptive Trade Practices Act was very much so abused in this case. The most current dates (October 2016), letters, and communications were overridden seemingly by the mere fact of having the authoritative title because with the October 2016 notifications for which I received (one by mail) written on 10/6/16 (received by 10/12/16) asking for me to come in for arrangements and then another deceptive letter given to me via in person on 10/31/16, because I went to the location to pay for my unit and retrieve my items.

At this moment is when I learned that my things are supposedly no longer there. The letter on 10/31/16 is dated for October 5, 2016 and stating that an auction shall take place within thirty days of the date on the notice... Being 10/27/16. Mind you, if a notice is dated for 10/5/16, then a thirty (30) day auction to begin will not be 10/27/16. My things, my life photos of my children and family were taken in mischievous means.

The information on the letter is as follows: "Unless the balance is paid in full within 30 days from the date of this Notice, the personal property stored will be advertised for public sale and sold to the highest bidder via online auction at www.storagetreasures.com. Online bidding Wil begin on October 27, 2016 3:00 PM and will continue until October 20, 2016 10:00 AM. If no person purchases the personal property at auction, it may be sold at a private sale or disposed of. Also, your stored property may have been relocated to a suitable location at the facility."

Clearly, BBB... You may see above that Simply Self Storage is manipulative, confusing the clients with words/dates game, and are committing wrongful acts underneath any. My desired resolutions should be that I retrieve all of my belongings back in full... Especially our sentimental, lifetime photos, candy documents. I am told by the manager (Susan **) that she is friends with the supposedly buyer of my unit & that he'd have no problem returning my items. Susan bragged on how well kept/organized that my unit was, noting my items in boxes, New grill, & large container filled with photos/documents, that it shouldn't be an issue of return. BEWARE!!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE! The folk are fictitious and nonchalant to the CORE! Options to sue, too. Copies of the misleading letters to me are available. The past partial payments and account recovery are no bearing to the current (October 2016) matter and foul sale/auction of our items.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

This company just took over the storage facility, and I came on during the transition. The initial customer service experience was contributed to them being a new take over, but as time progressed, I realized that it was just a terrible company. Their policies add late fees after one day of being late, and, even though I did not experience it, their lock down policy is strict and almost immediate, if you're late on your bill. I overpaid one month, coincidentally the same month I gave notice, and they refused to return my overpayment, citing that their policy states no refunds, under any conditions.

I explained it was not a refund but a reimbursement, and they were still rude and refused to return my $65 overpayment. They finally "agreed" when I went over their head. Then they stated I would get it back after I vacated the premises. I am currently fighting with them via Better Business Bureau. We shall see what the outcome is, but it has definitely NOT been worth heartache and frustration. I will never use this company again, nor will I ever recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2016

I was in need of storage space and after looking at several different locations I chose to rent at the Simply Self Storage located on Grand River. This location was a bit out of my way but the outstanding customer service I received from the manager Lisa was one of the reason I stored there. Very clean and you can drive into the building. I highly recommend this storage facility.

Original review: July 25, 2016

Recently, after the death of my mother, I forgot to pay my storage. I was only one month behind when my son got a phone call telling me to call. I got online to pay the bill but was locked out and had to go into the office. When I got there, I was in total shock at the amount. My monthly storage fee is $96 plus $9 insurance but was informed that I would have to pay $400 and another $17 because they had cut my lock and put theirs on. I received a letter dated July 19, 2016 on July 23 telling me I had 10 days from the receipt of the letter to pay or my items would be put up for auction. I was charged a $70 auction fee, a $50 Advertise Auction Fee and a $50 Default Notice Fee for an auction that was to be held August 10. I went to the auction site for my location and failed to see my name there. My question is how they can charge these fees before the auction?

I have had my storage for 3 years. It wasn't until the company I had originally rented from changed to Simply Self Storage, that I had any type of difficulty. I don't think that customers should be blindsided because Simply Self Storage owners want to participate with places like Storage Battles. Are those exorbitant fees even legal? While I have paid the $400, I do plan to do some research to possibly recover some of my fees. To my Default Lien Notice, says that I have been "continuously in default for over 30 days." I was late once before and only had to pay $25. Now it's $120? A big hike!!!

Original review: June 28, 2016

I have a unit at the Chelmsford Mass location. This company is by far the worst to deal with. They have increased the price so many times and half of the lighting in the place doesn't work. They will lie through their teeth and tell you they are the cheapest around but I found at least a dozen places that are half the price for the same size unit. The website will tell you it has 24 hr access but in reality you can only get in until 10 pm. They also have the worst customer service around. I will be taking my business elsewhere and I advise anyone who reads this to do the same.

Original review: May 17, 2016

I rented for almost three years (units 1057, 1064). The onsite staff is very good at Finneytown OH/North Bend Road facility. I always got good service. The facility is clean. The climate controlled storage room still got over 85 degrees and very humid in summer. The back wall leaked water occasionally. There was one time the gate was broken for 2 days and no drive-in access was possible but you could walk in if manager was onsite.

My complaint is about lack of full disclosure of financial terms upfront and the vacate policy. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get anything in writing about true charges until you actually rent a unit. Not disclosed initially is that insurance (about 10% upcharge) is REQUIRED. You are charged a monthly fee (!) to put the monthly payment on autopay with a credit card or bank payment transfer. Vacate policy is described glibly as "10 days notice". That is inaccurate: rent is paid on the first of the month and if you give 10 days notice on the 2nd of the month, you still must pay for the entire month - there are no prorated refunds of the excess rent.

The financial terms are not clear or transparent. They are not available on the website. Everything is in literally tiny fine print on a contract which is so lengthy and obtuse and NOT PLAIN LANGUAGE that I would bet no one takes the 1 hour necessary to read it. I cannot find anywhere in writing the "no prorated refunds policy". (Below in the Order number box I put my former unit number.)

Original review: Sept. 24, 2015

First let me tell you I had my unit here for almost 6 years. They change managers like a clean person changes underwear. The best one they had who was there the longest was Mike. The manager there now, or at least earlier this year, lied to me, my brother and my friends. I never got a letter about the auction date for my unit. My brother was lied to over the phone about making the payments to save the unit. My friends wanted to bid on the unit in the auction and it was not listed during the dates they were told it would be. They mailed me a check for the amount over the amount paid from the person in Ohio who got my belongings.

I am writing to the corporate offices, AH Property, and the Attorney Generals of both states involved. They were on the news for being crooked after my unit was gone. They just think I went away silently. I am not done with them and I am telling everyone to take their business elsewhere. They are a private owned company and act like heartless corporate company.

Original review: July 28, 2015

I had a storage unit in Cliffwood NJ. It all started out friendly. I had to get a storage unit because the bank came and knocked on my door. They were indicating that they were going to take the house right after hurricane Sandy. I was working at the time trying to get out of that house. But with all the bills I just wasn't making enough to move out. So I took my things to Simply Storage so that I could at least have piece of mind that if I had to move quickly my things would be safe. But then as I was working two jobs and killing myself Simply Storage kept raising their rates. They didn't give me a courtesy call to remind me that the rates were going up. They just automatically withdrew it from my checking account.

When I finally realized it on my bank statement. I called the location. I was upset but the woman explained I had signed a contract. I also told her that it would have been nice to give me a reminder. I told her I can't deal with the payments they are way too much. If there was something she could do. I was paying so much and wasn't gonna be able to deal with the rates going up. Then I lost my jobs. I called again. There was no light at the end of the tunnel. Nothing got resolved.. No one called back. My credit card was hacked. And in that pay period I was given a new credit card. I also had an ex-boyfriend causing me problems too. I had to change my number.

After Simply caught up to me with my new current number she was rude and nasty to me. So I made a choice right then and there. I told her "that's it." I've been through too much in the past few years. Mentally and physically exhausted, I said "that's it. I'm getting my things." And she agreed over the phone that I could get my things and be done with the nightmare payments. So I would be done with paying $200 a month. I could breathe a sigh of relief but not for long. Then came the abusive letters telling me they were going to put a lien on my rental til I paid in full. They attached insurance which I don't remember agreeing to and late fees and default fees. For months. After being charged for months at a rate that for some reason couldn't be reduced.

So now after a year they are still charging me. I tried calling corporate. I tried getting help. I've made a lot of phone calls trying to get help. It seems like no one can or will help me. I can't bring myself to even give a start up above. This company should really appreciate the fact that sometimes people lose their jobs and can't pay. If I took all my things out and called, gave notice within the four days that I was told why should I pay... Why do they get to charge me for something I'm not using. After I spoke to this woman and told her I couldn't pay. Told her I was getting my things. Left the unit empty. They still want money... To be honest I'm gonna seek legal help. This has upset me so much. This year for me hasn't been and these threatening letters to pay only cause me anxiety.

Original review: June 11, 2015

I rented a storage month to month. I had a problem with my unit. I contacted them bunch of time. Never got the problem resolved. After dealing with the issue for about 3 month, I told the manager I am done with them. I packed my stuff and left. After couple months I checked my credit and they put in my credit that I owe them 1100$. First thing if I was late they would have never gave me my merchandise that was stored.

Original review: April 25, 2015

The facility used to be owned by A-Plus Storage and they were bought by Simply Self Storage in August 2014. We got a letter on August 14, 2014 informing us of the ownership change and new payment structure. We received a call in October letting us know that our payment was due shortly after they were bought by ** (the local site manager). I went to her office with our proof of payment showing that we paid in December of 2013 for a full year in advance with two months free rent thus making us paid in full thru March 22, 2015. She was not aware of this, but made copies of our payment records to get with her upper management. Then in December of 2015, I received another call from the new site manager (**) stating that our payment was late and that we needed to make payment.

Again, I went into the local office to meet with her and document our payment record and that we weren't due until March 22, 2015. She conferred with her District Manager by telephone and they finally said that we were paid thru March 22, 2015. At that time, I inquired as to what our future rate structure would be and they stated that since we had to come into the office on two separate occasions to verify our payments that they would keep our rates the same and offer one month of free rental if we paid for a full year in advance. We agreed to this and thought everything would be fine until our payment became due in the spring of 2015.

When the first week of April came, we received a phone call stating that we were late on our payment. I went to the local office on April 14 to express our apology for being late (we weren't invoiced and since we have always paid for a year in advance, I didn't have a bill pay reminder set-up). The local office personnel on that day stated that ** was at another store and wouldn't be back for two business days. I stated that I had come in to pay for the one year in advance and they didn't know anything about our agreement at the previous rates as Simply Self Storage had raised our rates 11.17% on our unit. I asked her to call ** and she did. ** then stated that she had a new District Manager and that she recalled our agreement with her previous District Manager, but would have to get approval from her new superior as her hands were tied.

She left a voice mail with her new manager and stated that she would follow-up with me the next business day. ** contacted me on April 17, 2015 informing me that her present District Manager stated that isn't the policy of Simply Self Storage and therefore wouldn't honor the previous commitment. I went up to the local office on the 17th of April and spoke to ** in person. She recalled our previous agreement (another employee was present as well) and stated that her new manager wouldn't honor the agreement.

I asked for her District Manager's superior and she gave me the corporate phone number. I called that day and made a complaint. On April 18, we received an email from the present District Manager (**) stating that this isn't the company policy. Thru a chain of email correspondence of which I can attach, we could never reach a workable solution as the principle of the matter is to honor your commitments. Very poor leadership!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

I have had a unit with this company since 2007. My rent over the year has gone up $56.00. I am now finally able to move out and my fiancé and I just bought a home. They ask for a 10 day notice. I gave them a 3+week notice and they still wanted the month in full. I said I would like a prorated amount. They said that they do not do prorated amounts. I said then I will just move out what I want to take and they can keep the rest. They then told me that I will be fined for "cleaning up my trash". I said “that’s funny because when I was late on a payment 2 years ago you wanted to sell ‘my trash’.”

I then asked for the corporate number and the property manager said she didn’t know it. I then asked for her boss's number and she said “I can't give it to you.” The Regional ended up emailing me twice and I repeatedly asked to speak with her on the phone and she has refused to call me. AWFUL PLACE TO RENT FROM AND AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!! RIP OFF!!!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

Breton Road Kentwood, MI - We went to inform of our plans to vacate at office. She said my bill was past due. The bill in my hand said it was due that day. She threatened to ruin my credit and had me on video if I left with my contents and didn't pay, it would be stealing. She walked down to unit minutes later after my nephew arrived, stating we let him in an exit (which there were no signs indicating this or that we broke a rule) and she had called the police. She said she changed the code to get out and we couldn't leave and the police were on the way. She then said we had 5 minutes to leave which made no sense.

We loaded our things and were able to get out with our code but she was waiting in her car for us to leave. She followed me and at a stop light, pulled up next to my car and made a face at me.The six family members there will spread the word any way we can to educate others about this company. I have also reported this to the corporate office.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2014

8 months of rent on two storage units are being kept on our month to month lease agreement. This company is very unfriendly to those customers who PREPAY rent. They refuse to refund unused money when leasing month to month. Who does that??? Companies who do not care if they keep a customer does that. When asked if I could sublease the 8 months that we prepaid (since we no longer need the space) and was told very vehemently that it is illegal to sublease per their contract. The space is always filthy from the sprayed on fireproof insulation that continuously falls down. I would NOT recommend doing business with this company.

Simply Self Storage expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Simply Self Storage offers self-storage facilities in over 200 locations across the United States. They work with consumers on a budget offering various rate options and deals.

• Unit size: Simply Self Storage offers eight different unit sizes ranging from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 30 feet. The smallest unit typically holds the contents of one room, while the largest can contain the contents of a four or five-bedroom home.

• Moving supplies: Consumers who need to purchase moving supplies can do so through Simply Self Storage. They boast great prices for things like boxes, locks, covers and bubble wrap. They even offer truck rentals and moving help.

• Service areas: Simply Self Storage facilities are available in over 200 locations across the United States. Consumers can go online for a full list of cities and states or type in their zip code for the nearest facility.

• Deals and rewards: Simply Self Storage offers specials for renting storage units. Consumers can type in their zip code online and view current deals.  They also offer a referral reward of $30 of the next month’s rent for referring a friend.

• Mini storage: For consumers who don’t quite need a full size unit, Simply Self Storage offers mini storage. Mini storage is a big money saver and consumers won’t feel like they are wasting space in a larger unit.

• Best for: Consumers on a budget with any type of storage need.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs