Bloomfield, NJ

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.56/5

Simply Self Storage Reviews

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Simply Self Storage bought out Security Self Storage this past summer. I had a unit there for over a decade. They took out of my account over $500! I’m on auto pay. Never ever bad a problem with other company. Here it is January & still they have me locked out. Couldn’t get my Christmas decorations out. They have taken money out none of which was my rent. They are rude & hardly ever in the office to talk to. Do not return calls. Do not correspond with postcards like they said they did. I even went in & paid January ‘s rent. Still locked out! I’ve more than paid. I’ve overpaid!! I am so upset about this. I’ve been cheated disrespected & lots of overdraft charges. Even my bank Chase sided with them.

They sent false receipts. Even showing that I was charged 3 times in August. Isn’t it against the law to take out unauthorized amounts of money. Only amount authorized was the rent! Closed that debit card. Like to sue them & Chase bank. They reversed all charges back to them. They have taken out over a thousand dollars! Been trying to work with them but that company is so screwed up they don’t know what they’re doing. This is the one on Fisher Road, Columbus, Ohio. Next step is legal action!!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

The employees are creepy and rude, and they ripped us off. The storage unit was closed without warning because it was still empty without a lock. It took us a few weeks to start using and when we went to access our unit (which we paid $60 for less than a month prior), we couldn't get in the gate. I called and they said we no longer have an account and there is a no refund policy. We are getting a unit somewhere else based on this poor experience.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

I came to the US back this September after a 4-month trip abroad to discover that Simply Self Storage put up all of my belongings, which is 80% of what I own, for an auction because their representative forgot to give me in May an autopay form. We got one written notice from them. I didn't notice missing monthly charges on my Visa. They recorded my alternate phone number wrong. I found one voicemail from them (they said that they left one more voicemail). I also sent them an email in May with my renters’ insurance that has the alternate phone number correct and has an additional contact phone number abroad.

They never tried to email me. I tell all companies that I deal with when I’m abroad to contact me first by email. Another office clerk there told me that the previous management forgot to give out the autopay forms to others and they’re just trying to clean up the messes. I fortunately have my things. I was one month away from the auction. I’m concerned others are in a similar situation.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

This company is crooked. You sign a rental agreement that is above the advertised price as it is. Then each month they send emails saying you're not paid in full. Each email is asking for a different amount. They try to push you to use their pay site. It's the only way to avoid fees they claim. I won't do it because I don't want to give a crooked company access to my credit card. My location's Facebook page blocks negative reviews & the main company page doesn't allow reviews. That in itself is very telling. If you're in Grand Rapids Michigan rent from Northwest Storage. They're an honest company.

Original review: June 17, 2019

My name is Daniel **. I am leasing a 10x25 climate controlled unit at Cocoa FL location. I moved in on May 28th 2019. I used professional movers and have $20,000 in items. All of management knew that there was now cooling in the unit and I have been there 5 times since I moved in and have been lied to and been shown that no one has respected me and my business. Even the regional manager on Friday June 14th 2019 did not care, he told me I had to wait another 5 days.

I guess they just don't care because it is not their things or someone they know. They were told by the previous tenant that there was no cooling to remove the humidity. Jack the site manager said they need to cut a hole between the units and he has known about it since the 29th of May 2019. How long does it take to cut an opening. Just put yourself in my shoes. It is so aggravating because I am paying for climate control and I was not offered any solutions by even the regional manager. 20 DAYS LATER AND I STILL HAVE NO CLIMATE CONTROL.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Simply Self Storage?

Original review: April 10, 2019

I got behind on my rental and David and the district manager worked with me to bring my units current. They were upfront about the fees and my options and were willing to work with me to bring my account current. I am so grateful. Thank you David for all of your help! William

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I would never ever rent from this company again. I feel they are unfair, dishonest and downright dirty. The manager was very rude. I worked in storage for 25+ years and have never seen any company operate like these crooks do.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

So I rented a unit from them for 1.5 yr and have paid outrageous amounts of hidden fees. I only went with them because of their advertised low rental price of $88/mo. However after they added all sorts of fees I ended up paying $128/mo for 1yr, and then it went up to $178/mo. We fell on hard times right before Thanksgiving and got behind a couple months on rent. When I called to try and work something out I find out they had already sold my unit! I never received any notice whatsoever they were going to sell everything I own. No letters in the mail or any phone calls notifying me they were planning on putting it up for auction. So after spending over $3000 with this company they sold all my belongings behind my back for 2.5 mo of unpaid rent. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

This company bought out my company and fired us all 5 days before Christmas. No warning and had our replacements waiting in the parking lot. I would never send anyone to THIS company. I have heard from others that they have done the same to others too.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

We are both US Navy veterans, and good people! My husband and I rented a unit for a few months. We were on autopay from our checking account. We notified them we would be out on the first weekend in October, because they increased the rent a lot. They charged us the complete October rent on October 4th. We moved out on October 7th. They refused to refund us for the rest of the month simply stating "WE DON'T DO THAT!" This company are liars and thieves. They just take and keep your money even when they have no right to it!!

Simply Self Storage author review by Jessica Render

Simply Self Storage offers self-storage facilities in over 200 locations across the United States. They work with consumers on a budget offering various rate options and deals.

• Unit size: Simply Self Storage offers eight different unit sizes ranging from 5 feet by 5 feet to 10 feet by 30 feet. The smallest unit typically holds the contents of one room, while the largest can contain the contents of a four or five-bedroom home.

• Moving supplies: Consumers who need to purchase moving supplies can do so through Simply Self Storage. They boast great prices for things like boxes, locks, covers and bubble wrap. They even offer truck rentals and moving help.

• Service areas: Simply Self Storage facilities are available in over 200 locations across the United States. Consumers can go online for a full list of cities and states or type in their zip code for the nearest facility.

• Deals and rewards: Simply Self Storage offers specials for renting storage units. Consumers can type in their zip code online and view current deals.  They also offer a referral reward of $30 of the next month’s rent for referring a friend.

• Mini storage: For consumers who don’t quite need a full size unit, Simply Self Storage offers mini storage. Mini storage is a big money saver and consumers won’t feel like they are wasting space in a larger unit.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

Simply Self Storage Company Information