4.00/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

From packing your belongings, storing them, and delivering your items back to you at a specific time, Clutter has your back. Schedule exactly what you need and when you need it done through their mobile app or over the phone. Clutter’s team will make sure this process is easy and stress-free!

You can find locations in the following areas: New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Delaware, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, Chicago, Bay Area, Sacramento, Seattle, and Portland. More locations coming soon!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Clutter is a storage company with 2 million square feet of secure warehouse facilities and more than 200 trucks. Storage isn't available nationwide, but Clutter customer service is excellent in the locations they service.

PROS

• Digital inventory
  • Protection plan available
  • Price match guarantee
  • Pick-up, delivery and packing included

CONS

• No in-person access
  • Not available nationwide

Clutter review

Clutter storage solutions provide month-to-month storage for your belongings. Clutter services include packing materials, packing help, pick up and delivery. What sets Clutter apart from other storage companies is their extensive photo inventory process. With this system, Clutter and their customers have both a visual inventory and itemized list of stored items. Since Clutter’s storage facilities are secured and closed to the public, you can’t visit your items in storage; however, you can have them delivered back to you at any time.

Clutter conducts extensive background checks and screenings on all employees, making their moving and storage specialists well-trained and thoroughly vetted. Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras. The Clutter storage company provides their Limited Security Warranty Policy to all customers, and further protection for items can be purchased for a fee.

Clutter storage solutions

Clutter services available include packing assistance, pickup, storage and delivery. Clutter customers can manage their items in storage, book pickups and returns, and schedule or reschedule orders through the Clutter website.

Clutter storage services
Before they store anything in one of their secure warehouse facilities, Clutter collects an online photo inventory, so they have an exact index and location of all your items. Clutter offers a variety of storage units, from the size of a small closet to custom accommodations for storing an entire business inventory or large estate.
  • Clutter storage locations: Chicago, Los Angeles, New Jersey, New York City, Orange County, San Diego, the Bay Area and Seattle.
Clutter pickup services
Clutter’s pickup service will transport items from clients’ homes to a Clutter storage warehouse. Items should be boxed and labeled in advance.
  • Prohibited items: Liquids of any kind, food or perishables, illegal or controlled substances, hazardous materials, living things, grand pianos, upright pianos, and pool tables are prohibited. For an entire list of prohibited items, refer to the Clutter Terms Of Service.
Clutter delivery services
Clutter transports items from their warehouse facilities back to clients’ homes upon request. Upon delivery, Clutter representatives place appliances or furniture in the area of your choosing one time at no additional cost.
  • Delivery service areas: New York City, Los Angeles, the Bay Area, Orange County, Inland Empire, Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Philadelphia and New Jersey.
Clutter packing services
Clutter packing help is a service that adequately prepares and packs all your items into boxes or storage containers. Clutter representatives provide packing materials — like moving blankets and shrink wrap — to ensure that your belongings are suitably packed for transportation and storage.

How does Clutter work?

As a full-service storage company, Clutter picks-up, stores then delivers items when needed. First-time pickups can be scheduled online or over the phone with a Clutter customer service representative. On the scheduled pickup day, a team of Clutter moving specialists arrives at your location.

Before packing, Clutter collects a digital photographic inventory of your belongings and assigns a unique barcode to each item. Then, Clutter transports the inventory to one of their secured storage facilities.

If you want to retrieve an item in the future, all you need to do is access your Clutter account and select which item you need. Clutter will then deliver the item back to you.

Clutter storage prices

Clutter prices depend significantly upon how many items need to be stored. To get a free quote for the cost of Clutter storage, fill out a brief questionnaire and provide your ZIP code, the size of storage unit you need, how you plan to move your belongings into storage, how long you plan to use the storage unit, and the date you need the storage unit. Review a variety of pickup time options, and if the Clutter price is acceptable, submit your email address.

Please note that Clutter charges a deposit for the first pickup. The first month of storage is charged after pickup, and then billing is automatic. If you ever need to update your billing information, you can easily log in to your Clutter account and update your default for automatic payments.

Clutter security and protection

Clutter automatically provides a Limited Security Warranty Policy that covers possessions up to $1.00 per pound. Additional $1,000 or $2,500 protection plans are available for an extra charge. Be aware that Clutter is only responsible for the items they pack and visually inspect.

Clutter Reviews

Original review: July 10, 2019

Clutter is an amazing company in every way! They arrived on time and within 45 minutes had my daughter’s things all packed up and on their truck to storage. When they quoted me over the phone, and by the way I filled out an application online and within 2 min of hitting send, someone called me right away, I thought this company was too good to be true. It wasn’t expensive and they helped me a great deal with all the heavy items that I wouldn’t have been able to do on my own. They promised and delivered everything they said they would. I am curious to see if I will get the same service when they deliver my daughter’s things to her new dorm. I have a good feeling they will!

Get expert buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I thought the packing up and moving process was too good to be true, and it sort of was... it was a bit arduous and packers were not skilled. I saw them drop a whole stack of my furniture from the truck lift, and cringed, but let it go. When the movers brought my stuff back, of course, a lot of stuff was broken. The good thing was, they were very good about reimbursing anything that broke at whatever the going cost was of the product. I got replies back from almost everything except the last item, but I figured I waited too long (almost 3 weeks after the move in before I found it was broken), and it was very hard to show by a photo at the lamp switch was jammed and couldn't be turned on. Fortunately not of my items were extremely expensive. For the price I paid, I don't think anyone could find a comparable service.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I have had two great experiences. First I had a show set that needed storage and they were prompt to pick up and help pack up the set. It's a real cost saver in terms of bodies needed, rental and storage costs. Storage costs are reasonable. Second I had them pack up my apartment and I wasn't sure how big a storage space I needed but they were honest and put me in a smaller space which was such a great rate. Plus I like the pictures that I can see of my stuff. I recommend to everyone!!

Original review: July 2, 2019

Genuinely the best service I've ever received anywhere. Lately I've been talking about how bad service has gotten... in restaurants, retail stores, everywhere. But Clutter not only met my high expectations, they exceeded them. I worked with three separate teams on three different occasions and each team was extremely polite, highly efficient, exceptionally organized and just absolutely as nice as could be. I've honestly never been more impressed with a service. They wrapped my items far better than I ever could. They were fast and conscientious.

When I had my items delivered, there was no damage whatsoever. And the amount of bubble wrap protecting every single item was beyond what I would have used myself. They were so careful taking furniture out and delivering it to my new home. No scratches, bumps or dings on walls. And even when I changed my mind and asked to move an item to a different room, they didn't grumble or roll their eyes. They said, "Of course, happy to!" I especially enjoyed having a couple females on the crews to show my daughter that girls can do anything guys can! I have referred Clutter many times and would trust them with anything. Thanks for making my pre-move and final move so easy and carefree!

Original review: July 2, 2019

Each experience with the Clutter team has always been positive. The drivers/movers are very kind. They take great care in packing and moving furniture as if it is their own. The Customer Service Team is very polite and helpful when calling in with questions/concerns. One Criticism: Since I am from NY and your Customer Service Team is in CA, it is not possible to speak to someone in Customer Service when I am expecting a delivery at 7am NY Time because it is only 4AM CA time. If there were some way to bridge that gap and make someone available in CA that would be helpful. Perhaps you can add instructions on the recording that says "If you are calling our office outside of our business hours, please call our dispatch department at the following telephone number". Just a suggestion. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

BEWARE... Bait and switch. I signed up with Clutter during a promotion. I was repeatedly told I would be grandfathered into the promotion of free unlimited pick ups and deliveries. They are not honoring it, now if I want my my belongings from my 5 bedroom house I will have to pay $65 per hour, per mover. Their offer of one free one hour pick up or delivery per month would take me months to clear out my storage! It took me at least 10 minutes of arguing with their staff and threat of my lawyers to talk with a supervisor, I was sent to their customer care center. I was able to confirm they would deliver all my belongings for free, HOWEVER they will need to split the deliveries into multiple deliveries.

Let's hope they can work them into one month so I don't have to pay the $810 for another month, they do not prorate the fee. If the last delivery is scheduled one day after my storage due date, I pay for another month! I might need to update this review, I have not received the email from their customer care department confirming the agreement to deliver my belongings free of charge! I started my storage in Riverside, CA.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Clutter storage is the worst storage company. The picking up and dropping off is not worth it. I stored for 4 months while my house under construction. When they brought my belongings back tears came to my eyes. Out of 23 item every item return had damage. Some minor, most major. Then they lost the bed assemble. I store 2 beds that was marble, all wood furniture eden poster bed by AICO furniture, 2 couches, table, night stand, armour. They say they will give me $1 a lb. $1025. These people have to stop. It’s not right what they are doing. They have no compassion at all. They told me it’s still usable. I didn’t give them my furniture broken and all scratched up. Where are these people storing the furniture? It’s ridiculous the amount of damage done..please who so ever thinking about using Clutter please read these review and take it serious. These stories are real. I wish I had research them.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Every employee of Clutter seemed to be caring and detail oriented when they came to my home to wrap, pack and move my home furnishings into their storage facility. So, I was shocked to find they destroyed, lost or stole everything I had of value. They apologized. Yay for me. They took pictures and videos of over $31,000.00 of destroyed furniture. The young men said they had no idea that the furniture they drove out to me was destroyed upon delivery to me from their facility. They were embarrassed. I told them to take my busted belongings back to Clutter so that their insurance company could see firsthand the damaged items we were told would be compensated for. “So, take it back to storage and don’t charge me another dime for storing my busted **.” A entire Master bedroom set was returned in pieces, splinters and chunks. An autographed White House invitation, to me, irreplaceable - GONE.

For over a month I jumped through every hoop they asked of me, to prove my belongings value/worth. I was told to sit and wait for a 3 day review by the insurance investigator. 3 days later I was told that they would only be giving me a dollar, $1 per pound. I asked if they weighed the items? I asked them if they knew how much a granite table weighed, Or a marble vanity, or marble nightstands or desk and dresser and a bed? I asked them why they had me get receipts if they knew from the beginning that they were only going to pay a dollar per pound?

So, I guess with Clutter my granite table and marble vanity has less value than a half eaten loaf of bread. IE: A loaf of bread weighs a pound, it costs on average $3.00 per loaf/pound. I got a call from the AirBnB that I was staying at until we closed on our house. She (the owner of the AirBnB) was livid. Clutter had dumped my destroyed belongings on the corner beside the dumpster of a neighboring property. The neighboring property was highly upset with her. Which made her look bad. Which we all know that crap rolls downhill. I stand at the bottom of the Clutter hill. Which explains why they didn’t even weigh my things. They didn’t take them back like I requested.

Clutter offered me $1000.00. Apparently they are as bad at math as they are in protecting their customer's merchandise. I know my 6 foot granite countertop table weighs more than 1000 pounds. Each of the nightstands were about 300 pounds themselves. The vanity was close to 800 pounds. The vanity’s 3 section mirror was at least a hundred.

I swear, it was as if Clutter knew what my favorite things were and took them to the top of a 3 story building and dropped them. And then said, “Sorry, want a thousand to be done with this matter.” Now that laughing to keep from crying is done, now that our tears have stopped, anger has set in. And instead of the $1000, I would rather repost this post 1000 times on various websites. And I promise my math skills are excellent. I will let you know when I have reached my goal of 1000 shares. I will count this as 1/1000.

Sincerely,
M **

Northern California

Hi Maret,

We apologize for the damaged and missing items. This is not indicative of the standard we have set as a company, and we do want to address this.

As next steps, our Community Engagement specialist will be in touch to help dig deeper and work towards a more satisfiable resolution. We hope to resolve this in a quick and timely manner.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

NIGHTMARE EXPERIENCE!!! ZERO STARS!! The packing/moving team arrived on time and were very respectful, courteous and careful with our belongings. We stored for a month with them. THEN - when it came time for our delivery back to us, we were told some of our boxes were misplaced, lost - just gone! We have expensive fine furniture in shambles - literally - one hardwood poster bed is shattered and broken into shards. Vanity broken, desk legs broken beyond repair, granite table shattered! And about 7 other items that did come back to us are unrepairable!!

I feel violated and completely disregarded. We made a claim, but after all the hours of detailed legwork to find comparably priced items and receipts for compensation for our many losses with clutter, we were told that didn’t matter, because now we were only going to be compensated $1 per pound of each item, if we could prove and provide the info of how much each item weighed that was broken or lost.

We trusted Clutter with our cherished furniture and personal items, and we were violated in that trust. The warehouse/loading staff are horrible!!! We asked the moving staff (a team leader), about insurance on our items. We were told that if anything was ever damaged by Clutter, that the pictures taken of the item at the time of packing, would show exactly what the damaged item was, and we would be compensated for that item. We believed that. No other mention of any insurance on our things would be needed.

When some of our things were destroyed, we found out differently. The only monetary value for compensation Clutter puts on your items is $1 per pound of the item's weight - Regardless of how much you have paid for your items. RIDICULOUS!! If you have a piece of expensive jewelry, or smaller, more valuable items that are stored in a box or tote with them, that doesn't even weigh a pound, and it's lost or stolen by their people - YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK!! I would NEVER, EVER USE THIS MOVING COMPANY!!

Some of these clutter employees are fraudulent, irresponsible, careless and do not at all care about your belongings. I’m very, very saddened by this outcome. There has been no resolution of this experience, as of today. I do not think the owners of this company know how displeased some of their customers are. There’s quite a few reviews of the very same experiences from other disgruntled and disappointed customers all over the country.

Hi Gari,

We apologize for the level of service you received while storing with our company. We'd like the opportunity to look into this further to see if we can provide further resolution.

As next steps, please private message us the contact information on your Clutter account, and our Community Engagement specialist will be in touch. We hope to fully resolve this soon.

Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Not only was some of my belonging lost but the damage to my furniture was well over $6,000 and add to that the damage done to my walls of $3,500 and this move cost me dearly. I will never use this company again. The moving crew sent pictures to their boss and Clutter still won't acknowledge what was done to my brand new furniture and home.

Hi Lizz,

We apologize for the overall experience, and we want to evaluate those damages and see how we can compensate.

For next steps, please file a claim through your online account, and our Claims Department will review the claim and be in touch. We hope to resolve this soon.

Clutter customer service

Most scheduling and rescheduling is completed through the Clutter website. If you have further logistical questions, you can call Clutter customer service number any day of the week, from Monday to Friday, 6:00–6:00 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 a.m–5:00 p.m., PT.

Clutter FAQ

Do I have to sign a contract to store with Clutter?
Yes. However, all Clutter storage agreements are month-to-month.
What items are prohibited at Clutter storage?
Clutter company policy prohibits certain items, like liquids, perishable food items, living creatures, hazardous materials, some types of pianos, pool tables and vehicles. A detailed list of Clutter prohibited items can be found on their Terms of Service.
Is Clutter responsible for packing delicate items and valuables?
Clutter can only ensure delicate or valuable items are packed safely with the additional Clutter Plus service. If you don’t have Clutter Plus, then it is your responsibility to pack your delicate belongings correctly.
Can Clutter store my belongings for a month or less?
All Clutter storage contracts are month-to-month. You can store items at a Clutter warehouse for less than a month, but Clutter will not prorate the cost.
Can Clutter dispose of or donate my unwanted items?
No, Clutter will not dispose of or donate unwanted items at this time.
Should I tip Clutter movers?
Only if you want to — Clutter moving specialists appreciate tips, but tipping is not required.
Can I visit my things in Clutter storage?
No, Clutter storage facilities are not open to the public. However, you can schedule the delivery of your items at any time.
What happens if I move outside of the Clutter service areas?
Clutter does not provide shipping services but can help to facilitate the relocation of clients’ belongings anywhere.
Does Clutter charge a late fee for overdue payments?
Yes, Clutter charges a 15% fee if a payment is more than 30 days late.
How much does Clutter storage cost?
Clutter storage rates vary by size and location, but the average Clutter storage cost is $150–$250 per month.
Does Clutter charge a deposit?
Yes, Clutter charges a deposit for first-time pickups. The specific amount will be in the confirmation email sent before your pickup date.

Do we recommend Clutter?

Yes, Clutter storage company is a smart choice for those who live in an area where their services are available. Professional moving and storage specialists take a digital inventory of all their clients’ belongings to eliminate confusion. Plus, Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras, so you know your most valuable or sentimental items are safe.

Clutter Company Information