3.4/5 (291 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Taylor Sansano
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Clutter

Clutter uses its proprietary, end-to-end technology to offer convenient moving and storage services, including a Smart Storage option where it handles depositing and withdrawing your items for you. Clutter also focuses on your digital experience, allowing you to schedule services, check your storage inventory and manage your move online. However, it only operates in parts of California, New Jersey, New York and Washington, and available services vary by market.

Pros

• Smart Storage with pickup and delivery
  • Month-to-month storage available
  • Discounts for longer commitments
  • Optional packing service

Cons

• Not available everywhere
  • Smart Storage has extra fees

Bottom Line

Clutter focuses on full-service convenience when it comes to moving and storage, but you can also do some of the work yourself. However, service areas are limited, and storage pickups and deliveries cost extra.

About Clutter

Clutter storage solutions provide month-to-month storage for your belongings. Clutter services include packing materials, packing help, pick up and delivery. What sets Clutter apart from other storage companies is their extensive photo inventory process. With this system, Clutter and their customers have both a visual inventory and itemized list of stored items. Since Clutter’s storage facilities are secured and closed to the public, you can’t visit your items in storage; however, you can have them delivered back to you at any time.

Clutter conducts extensive background checks and screenings on all employees, making their moving and storage specialists well-trained and thoroughly vetted. Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras. The Clutter storage company provides their Limited Security Warranty Policy to all customers, and further protection for items can be purchased for a fee.

Clutter storage solutions

Clutter services available include packing assistance, pickup, storage and delivery. Clutter customers can manage their items in storage, book pickups and returns, and schedule or reschedule orders through the Clutter website.

Clutter storage services
Before they store anything in one of their secure warehouse facilities, Clutter collects an online photo inventory, so they have an exact index and location of all your items. Clutter offers a variety of storage units, from the size of a small closet to custom accommodations for storing an entire business inventory or large estate.
  • Clutter storage locations: Chicago, Los Angeles, New Jersey, New York City, Orange County, San Diego, the Bay Area and Seattle.
Clutter pickup services
Clutter’s pickup service will transport items from clients’ homes to a Clutter storage warehouse. Items should be boxed and labeled in advance.
  • Prohibited items: Liquids of any kind, food or perishables, illegal or controlled substances, hazardous materials, living things, grand pianos, upright pianos, and pool tables are prohibited. For an entire list of prohibited items, refer to the Clutter Terms Of Service.
Clutter delivery services
Clutter transports items from their warehouse facilities back to clients’ homes upon request. Upon delivery, Clutter representatives place appliances or furniture in the area of your choosing one time at no additional cost.
  • Delivery service areas: New York City, Los Angeles, the Bay Area, Orange County, Inland Empire, Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Philadelphia and New Jersey.
Clutter packing services
Clutter packing help is a service that adequately prepares and packs all your items into boxes or storage containers. Clutter representatives provide packing materials — like moving blankets and shrink wrap — to ensure that your belongings are suitably packed for transportation and storage.

How does Clutter work?

As a full-service storage company, Clutter picks-up, stores then delivers items when needed. First-time pickups can be scheduled online or over the phone with a Clutter customer service representative. On the scheduled pickup day, a team of Clutter moving specialists arrives at your location.

Before packing, Clutter collects a digital photographic inventory of your belongings and assigns a unique barcode to each item. Then, Clutter transports the inventory to one of their secured storage facilities.

If you want to retrieve an item in the future, all you need to do is access your Clutter account and select which item you need. Clutter will then deliver the item back to you.

Clutter storage prices

Clutter prices depend significantly upon how many items need to be stored. To get a free quote for the cost of Clutter storage, fill out a brief questionnaire and provide your ZIP code, the size of storage unit you need, how you plan to move your belongings into storage, how long you plan to use the storage unit, and the date you need the storage unit. Review a variety of pickup time options, and if the Clutter price is acceptable, submit your email address.

Please note that Clutter charges a deposit for the first pickup. The first month of storage is charged after pickup, and then billing is automatic. If you ever need to update your billing information, you can easily log in to your Clutter account and update your default for automatic payments.

Clutter security and protection

Clutter automatically provides a Limited Security Warranty Policy that covers possessions up to $1.00 per pound. Additional $1,000 or $2,500 protection plans are available for an extra charge. Be aware that Clutter is only responsible for the items they pack and visually inspect.

Clutter customer service

Most scheduling and rescheduling is completed through the Clutter website. If you have further logistical questions, you can call Clutter customer service number any day of the week, from Monday to Friday, 6:00–6:00 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 a.m–5:00 p.m., PT.

Clutter FAQ

Do I have to sign a contract to store with Clutter?
Yes. However, all Clutter storage agreements are month-to-month.
What items are prohibited at Clutter storage?
Clutter company policy prohibits certain items, like liquids, perishable food items, living creatures, hazardous materials, some types of pianos, pool tables and vehicles. A detailed list of Clutter prohibited items can be found on their Terms of Service.
Is Clutter responsible for packing delicate items and valuables?
Clutter can only ensure delicate or valuable items are packed safely with the additional Clutter Plus service. If you don’t have Clutter Plus, then it is your responsibility to pack your delicate belongings correctly.
Can Clutter store my belongings for a month or less?
All Clutter storage contracts are month-to-month. You can store items at a Clutter warehouse for less than a month, but Clutter will not prorate the cost.
Can Clutter dispose of or donate my unwanted items?
No, Clutter will not dispose of or donate unwanted items at this time.
Should I tip Clutter movers?
Only if you want to — Clutter moving specialists appreciate tips, but tipping is not required.
Can I visit my things in Clutter storage?
No, Clutter storage facilities are not open to the public. However, you can schedule the delivery of your items at any time.
What happens if I move outside of the Clutter service areas?
Clutter does not provide shipping services but can help to facilitate the relocation of clients’ belongings anywhere.
Does Clutter charge a late fee for overdue payments?
Yes, Clutter charges a 15% fee if a payment is more than 30 days late.
How much does Clutter storage cost?
Clutter storage rates vary by size and location, but the average Clutter storage cost is $150–$250 per month.
Does Clutter charge a deposit?
Yes, Clutter charges a deposit for first-time pickups. The specific amount will be in the confirmation email sent before your pickup date.

Do we recommend Clutter?

Yes, Clutter storage company is a smart choice for those who live in an area where their services are available. Professional moving and storage specialists take a digital inventory of all their clients’ belongings to eliminate confusion. Plus, Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras, so you know your most valuable or sentimental items are safe.

Clutter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

At the start of covid, I rented a storage space from a company called MakeSpace for the furnishings from my son's apartment when he moved back home. At the time I rented the space, I was told that I could retrieve my belongings for a flat fee of $59 (I have notes from the phone call). When I went to retrieve the items recently, MakeSpace had been bought by a company called Clutter, and I was informed that there would be a $189 "close out" fee for my account, a $20 per item charge for the things I have stored, AND an hourly charge for movers, in order to retrieve my items, likely adding up to hundreds of dollars (I have not been able to get a firm price from Clutter). As recently as today 9/10/22, Clutter's website says "How much does it cost to have items returned? You can order items to be returned for as low as $15 per item. Your final delivery will be billed at the same flat rate and hourly amount (if applicable) as your first pickup."

Putting aside the new $15 per item charge ($20 if you want the items brought inside), Clutter is refusing to abide by this policy, telling me that my "first pickup" was the day Clutter bought MakeSpace, not the day I rented the storage unit. When I tried to respond to emails from customer service that say "feel free to respond to this email with questions," I get a message saying that that email address "is not being monitored." When I spoke to a customer service rep, she told me to pay the bill and file a claim. I asked for a supervisor and was told that was not possible -- that I'd have to send another message through the website. In other words, a big run-around. I would advise consumers to avoid Clutter, as their rates have skyrocketed, they behave unethically, and it is not possible to speak with anyone with the authority to address issues in a professional manner.

Hi Diane,

We're sorry to hear you've had a negative experience with us. We could not find your Clutter account based on the information provided. The quickest way to resolve this is to file your claim via your account portal. As soon as you do so, the Clutter Trust & Safety Team will work quickly towards resolving your claim.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

In May, I stored the contents of my one bedroom apartment near Boston with MakeSpace, which Clutter acquired shortly thereafter. When I had my items picked up, I was overcharged for the pickup fee because they overestimated the amount of material being stored. The first time I called, the agent didn't understand that if you charged someone for storing 10 feet by 10 feet of material you couldn't charge them for collecting 15 feet by 10 feet of material. I had to call more than once to resolve the issue because the first customer service representative didn't understand what should have been an obvious issue. To Clutter's credit, the second customer service representative I spoke to understood and reversed the overcharging.

Although this was annoying, storing my items has not been nearly as bad as retrieving them. Clutter offers no appointments in the Boston area for a full month, even though they advertise that you can "[h]ave your items delivered to your home at your convenience." When you try to call they just refer you to the website and you sometimes have to wait two days for them to call you back. If you miss the call, you have to start over because the number they give you just goes to voice mail or tells you to use the website. My wife and I found ourselves essentially homeless, having to either get a hotel or stay with friends while we waited for Clutter to return our property. Understand that Clutter does not allow you to collect your items with your own delivery team or by yourself.

Only after I raised a formal complaint with Clutter's Trust & Safety team did I get a substantive response. It took them nearly two weeks to respond and when they did they offered to reduce the delivery charge by a little less than half (they waived the appointment charge but not the labor charge). While I appreciated the gesture, it was too little too late. Thanks to Clutter's appalling service I spent a week barely sleeping on an air mattress and nearly got divorced. Do yourself a favor and avoid Clutter at all costs.

Hi Justin,

You are welcome to review the correspondence we provided and contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns.

The Clutter Team

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

My experience with Clutter has become increasingly negative over the year that I've used them. I initially chose to use them as opposed to any other service because it was newer, cheaper, and they would deliver my items for free. A year later none of those hold true, other than their newness. The cost of storage has steadily increased after the first three or four months of storing with them and continuously increases every two to three months.

Now they are charging you for final delivery. And if you are outside of their delivery area, you have to pay a third party vendor to pick up your things and deliver them to you but also you have to pay clutter if they have to deliver to that vendor. Let's not even get into how many up-charges to remove your items, the space use calculations and their lack of flexibility. On top of that if you have them ship you items, expect things to be damaged/missing. Accountability, oh there will be none. They can do this all as stated in their contract.

Hi Lisa,

We're sorry to hear you've had a negative experience with us. We could not locate your account based on the information provided. The quickest way to resolve this issue would be to file a claim via your account portal. Once you do, a member of our Trust and Safety team will review your claim.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

Hi - my experience with makespace (now merged with clutter) was so odd/bad. I expect more when the combined companies have raised ~$450 million overall it was the biggest company headache I've ever dealt with - plus they had all of my worldly possessions.

Some of the highlights:

- They don't tell you where they are taking your stuff - mine was taken over 60 miles away - even though online it appeared like they had facilities in my area.
    - My mattress was in a different location than the rest of my items - I had to go 45 minutes in another direction to pick it up. But customers were not allowed in this facility so we met in the nearby home depot parking lot.

- I needed to schedule an appointment over a month in advance to get my items out, plus they were going to charge for that month (nowhere in emails/FAQs do they discuss the extra wait considerations).

- hundreds of dollars in hidden fees that they pointed me to their Terms of Service when I asked why
    - My childhood paul frank cruiser front tire was missing and crushed :( upon pickup.

- The storage facilities themselves are pretty bad, mattresses are not covered/kept upright and bending (photo below).

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I have no words to describe how horrible my experience with Clutter has been. Starting with the deceit and hidden fees all the way to destroying half of my belongings and furniture, including my TV, my ceramic tables, vases. Almost every item they moved and packed at least had a scratch, and the majority of my high value items were completely destroyed. I signed up with this service thinking I would pay x amount (like they advertise when you sign up), but the day of the move, the fee increased by $500 without an explanation. They claimed that was what was shown the entire time? Lies. Refused to fully reimburse all my damaged belongings, and oh doesn't matter if they destroy your entire household items and everything you ever owned, per their policy, they will never refund more than $2500.

Horrible experience, damaged my old apartment during the move-out and my new apartment during the move-in with scratched on the floor, walls and debris everywhere. I wish I read a review like this before spending almost $4000 in moving, packing, and storage fees (FOR ONLY ONE MONTH). This ridiculous amount doesn't even cover all the money I lost from them destroying half of my furniture. Please avoid them like the plague - if you think you're saving money, you will absolutely end up paying at least double the amount in "hidden fees". I have moved a dozen of times before, and even from coast to coast, and have never had a horrible experience like this one. If you care about your money, your belongings, your sanity and mental health do not use this horrible company.

Hi Nada,

We apologize you were involved in a claim, for privacy reasons we cannot discuss the details of your claim. Publicly we can confirm it was assessed according to the protection plan. You are welcome to review the correspondence we provided and contact us if you have any additional questions.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

I hired Clutter moving to move my 2 bedroom apartment in Jersey City, NJ to about 20 miles northwest of the city in Bergen County. The Clutter movers sent 2 trucks and 5 people for a 1,200 sq ft apartment for a relatively attractive price ($359 per hour). We had about 80% of the apartment already packed with Clutter to take care of the kitchen and all large items packed for us. We originally agreed on a small package, but upgraded to the full packing plan (additional $199).

Here is where Clutter falls short. While the kitchen was packed beautifully and took a rather long amount of time - the rest of the packing items seemed to have missed the mark. We had several painting and canvas items bent, small plastic drawers broken, and even a monitor (that they packed) completely smashed and no longer working. When submitting a claim - we learned that even though that they packed the item, it was not covered. In no time during the packing was this made known that the packing plan was NOT covered. So, for example, if they packed your $5,000 TV and broke it - tough luck! Not a good look Clutter.

All in all - it took 9 or so hours for the move (this included an hour of travel) where they did not unpack anything (this was not included) but did put together any furniture they disassembled. I tipped the team well and they went off. It wasn't until the day after unpacking the many boxes and bubble wrap that we found the damage to our items. Let me be clear that the team worked incredibly hard to move us. They, all in all, did fantastic, they just were not as careful as they should be. The problem here lies with the communication and customer service. Their basic plan covers "$1 per pound" which is apparently $18 for a $500 monitor that I now have to replace. I recommend getting the insurance policy even if they do everything for you because somehow, they don't cover their own work.

Hi Chris,

We apologize some of your items were damaged. The quickest way to resolve this is to file a claim for the items you have not filed a claim for. A member of our team will be reaching out to explain next steps.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

If you want to be scammed, this is the company for you! If I Could give this company 0 stars. I would. To start off, I was told that it would be a flat rate of $300 to have my items redelivered. Now that Makespace was acquired by Clutter I am going to have to pay close to $500 to have my things delivered. You pay over $300/month and can't contact customer service by phone. The agents that respond to you through chat are EXTREMELY unprofessional.

I reached out before my bill was due and received to response from the chat agent after asking if we were still connected. Due to her not responding I was forced to pay for September storage in its ENTIRETY even though my items will not be in their facilities the full month. Despite this being the fault of the agent, the price to pay was quite literally COMPLETELY on me. Also, the appointment date I originally NEEDED is no longer available! I have to wait 7 days later! On top of that proration isn't guaranteed. If you want to save yourself the headache, please go with another storage company. I am absolutely DISGUSTED with their level of customer service.

Hi Ania,

We're sorry to hear you had a negative experience with us. A member of our Trust and Safety team will be reaching out to you to discuss.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

Deceitful. Avoid at all costs. There is not enough room to share my continued horrible experience with Clutter. They screwed up our move back in April. What should have been 1 day of packing and moving, turned into two days, with an extra day of huge labor costs. I filled out a form online for the move. No one called me. No one suggested a video walk through. There was no option to choose GARAGE or BASEMENT, which I had. They sent two people to pack and move an entire house.

Fast forward- our stuff is somewhere in the world at a Clutter storage facility. I finally got an address of the facility, and the Google search says it is an Amazon warehouse. The address is: 800 Arlington Blvd, Ste B Swedesboro NJ 08085. Why would Clutter be storing our belongings in an Amazon facility, or are your belongings ever there? I want visual proof, not the online portal where I can see the photos of the items, that they are in a safe Clutter owned facility. We're out of the service area. Service area? I am sure this was in the fine print, but NEVER was this explained to us when deciding on Clutter. Now, we have to have Clutter move our stuff to another mover, pay hourly fees, and then have that mover move our stuff to us ($6,000+). To make matters worse, reputable movers want an inventory list and to SPEAK with someone at Clutter to coordinate. Good luck! Not happening.

I have three unanswered voicemails. One call from them, where an inventory list and follow up email was promised (never happened). Clutter will say that they gave us some money off on the 2nd appointment in April. True. But the second appointment should have been fully compensated (it was no fault of my own that they couldn't move in one day and sent too few people and have a terrible system of packing). I continue to dispute, that they should have fully compensated the 2nd appointment. How Clutter has a BBB rating of A+ baffles me. One moving company I contacted to be the ones Clutter delivers to said, "We will never work with them, they are a scam."

Hi Tim,

We apologize for the negative experience you've had with us. We have sent you a follow up email to discuss next steps.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

I am not the sort of person to leave reviews but feel compelled to share my horrible experience with Clutter’s “smart storage” to deter other young renters from falling prey to their promises of savings/convenience. This company made my move to lower Connecticut an expensive, stressful, hellish hassle. Clutter fails in three major ways:

1. (NOT-SO-)SMART STORAGE. If, like me, you have used Manhattan Mini Storage before where you must rent a physical storage locker with fixed dimensions, there is an allure to this optimized warehouse storage system. That way you can pay for exactly the space you use, right? No. They arbitrarily set “storage sizes” rather than allowing you to pay for what you need. Using their online storage estimators I was declared eligible for a basic plan. About 2/3 of the way through packing up my belongings, the movers told I was being added to a more expensive monthly plan for double the space.

Here’s the kicker: when I was suggested the smaller plan online, I had actually OVERestimated the number of boxes I would be bringing, which leads me to think their software estimations are deliberately deceptive. As a further note, the movers worked very slowly; you are paying by the hour for them to take photographs of all your items and upload their dimensions into an online inventory system.

2. ACCESS/DELIVERY. Clutter insists you hire them to move your belongings in and out of their warehouse. They do not tell you where this warehouse is. This means you are entirely beholden to their limited calendar of available delivery times. You cannot access your own possessions when you want to. And they deliver to a limited range of zip codes that is only visible online as a long paragraph of digits —not a helpful map. Trying to schedule my delivery, I found out my new apartment, which is easily accessible on the MTA Metro-North, was not “in their service range.” I had to pay for them to deliver to a third-party moving company, who I then had to pay for a full regular move. This was another massive unplanned expense on top of the additional storage fees from their first quote to me. I should also note they missed their 3-hour delivery window, which was first thing in the morning so I had planned my whole day prior around it.

3. CUSTOMER SERVICE. As you can imagine, I was in a terrible bind trying to figure out how logistically manage this move without spending a fortune. They do not have anyone you can call. Their only phone number leads to a voicemail box. They prefer you ask questions through a text chat on their site where you receive generic form replies punctuated by the occasional “yes,” “no,” or “let me see”. Never before have I seen a company try so hard to avoid speaking with its customers, which felt unbelievably disrespectful given the position their misleading information had put me in.

I am giving them two stars rather than one because, despite the tremendous expense and inconvenience, they did manage to keep my belongings in good condition, and I don’t want to sound unfair or prejudicial in my assessment of this service. Still, I would strongly encourage anyone to use other services, especially if there is any possibility you will need a delivery out of the city. I have had much better experiences with Dorm2Dorm as a student and then Manhattan Mini Storage.

Hello,

We truly apologize for the negative experience you’ve had, and we’d like to connect with you to try and resolve this issue for you.

We were unable to locate your account based on your information here, so please send us a message through your account portal to get in touch with the Trust & Safety Team.

Sincerely,

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Aug. 28, 2022

Please please do not use Clutter. Everyone I know who has used this company, had an experience similar to mine. From getting your belongings into storage, the up charges and removing your items from storage, Clutter is a nightmare. I will be writing the Better Business Bureau about their practices, my lost items and broken belongings. For two months of storage, Clutter charged me more than $2,500, lost my belongings and broke my stuff. Truly, a scam.

Customer Service - firstly, to speak to someone at Clutter via phone, you have to wait 4 business days. Yes, 4 business days! Even if you have a time sensitive issue, doesn’t matter! And sometimes even after 4 days, they simply won’t call you. Clutter insists that you can speak to a representative via their “chat” feature online. But it is a glorified chat bot. No actual help. I don’t know how they can treat customers this way.

Getting Items into Storage - They use a special “technology” to estimate how much space you need, but it is really a money grab. For example, they calculated the size of my couch and insisted that the size of the couch cushions (which ordinarily lay inside the couch) would need to be calculated separately. Meaning, according to Clutter, my 72 inch couch miraculously requires a 144 inches to be stored. This is just an example. Clutter used this method with every item I put in storage. So, regardless of how much stuff you have, Clutter will do anything to “upgrade you” to a larger storage room. Which is an astronomical cost. Additionally, the movers are paid by the hour and took nearly 5 hours to move a studio apartment. Several times, I found the movers watching TikTok on their phones, instead of moving my furniture.

Getting items out of storage - I arranged a 3rd party moving company to get my items out of storage. I was moving across the country. I set up an appointment with Clutter weeks in advance. The night before my appointment, Clutter informs me that they lost several items and that my movers could only pick up some of my storage. The lost items should be “picked up at another time.” No additional information on this. Can’t reach anyone at Clutter to ask how I can retrieve my belongings. Can’t ask who is paying for the second moving van since I’m moving across the country. Oh and this doesn’t mention how Clutter broke my belongings in storage. Truly, they are a nightmare. Avoid at all costs.

Hello,

We apologize for the level of service that you have received while storing with us. We take pride in carefully storing our customers' items, and any experience that does not demonstrate such care is below the standards we have set as a company.

As a result, our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution.

We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner.

Thank you. The Clutter Team