3.1/5 (174 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Taylor Sansano
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Clutter

Clutter uses its proprietary, end-to-end technology to offer convenient moving and storage services, including a Smart Storage option where it handles depositing and withdrawing your items for you. Clutter also focuses on your digital experience, allowing you to schedule services, check your storage inventory and manage your move online. However, it only operates in parts of California, New Jersey, New York and Washington, and available services vary by market.

Pros

• Smart Storage with pickup and delivery
  • Month-to-month storage available
  • Discounts for longer commitments
  • Optional packing service

Cons

• Not available everywhere
  • Smart Storage has extra fees

Bottom Line

Clutter focuses on full-service convenience when it comes to moving and storage, but you can also do some of the work yourself. However, service areas are limited, and storage pickups and deliveries cost extra.

About Clutter

Clutter storage solutions provide month-to-month storage for your belongings. Clutter services include packing materials, packing help, pick up and delivery. What sets Clutter apart from other storage companies is their extensive photo inventory process. With this system, Clutter and their customers have both a visual inventory and itemized list of stored items. Since Clutter’s storage facilities are secured and closed to the public, you can’t visit your items in storage; however, you can have them delivered back to you at any time.

Clutter conducts extensive background checks and screenings on all employees, making their moving and storage specialists well-trained and thoroughly vetted. Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras. The Clutter storage company provides their Limited Security Warranty Policy to all customers, and further protection for items can be purchased for a fee.

Clutter storage solutions

Clutter services available include packing assistance, pickup, storage and delivery. Clutter customers can manage their items in storage, book pickups and returns, and schedule or reschedule orders through the Clutter website.

Clutter storage services
Before they store anything in one of their secure warehouse facilities, Clutter collects an online photo inventory, so they have an exact index and location of all your items. Clutter offers a variety of storage units, from the size of a small closet to custom accommodations for storing an entire business inventory or large estate.
  • Clutter storage locations: Chicago, Los Angeles, New Jersey, New York City, Orange County, San Diego, the Bay Area and Seattle.
Clutter pickup services
Clutter’s pickup service will transport items from clients’ homes to a Clutter storage warehouse. Items should be boxed and labeled in advance.
  • Prohibited items: Liquids of any kind, food or perishables, illegal or controlled substances, hazardous materials, living things, grand pianos, upright pianos, and pool tables are prohibited. For an entire list of prohibited items, refer to the Clutter Terms Of Service.
Clutter delivery services
Clutter transports items from their warehouse facilities back to clients’ homes upon request. Upon delivery, Clutter representatives place appliances or furniture in the area of your choosing one time at no additional cost.
  • Delivery service areas: New York City, Los Angeles, the Bay Area, Orange County, Inland Empire, Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Philadelphia and New Jersey.
Clutter packing services
Clutter packing help is a service that adequately prepares and packs all your items into boxes or storage containers. Clutter representatives provide packing materials — like moving blankets and shrink wrap — to ensure that your belongings are suitably packed for transportation and storage.

How does Clutter work?

As a full-service storage company, Clutter picks-up, stores then delivers items when needed. First-time pickups can be scheduled online or over the phone with a Clutter customer service representative. On the scheduled pickup day, a team of Clutter moving specialists arrives at your location.

Before packing, Clutter collects a digital photographic inventory of your belongings and assigns a unique barcode to each item. Then, Clutter transports the inventory to one of their secured storage facilities.

If you want to retrieve an item in the future, all you need to do is access your Clutter account and select which item you need. Clutter will then deliver the item back to you.

Clutter storage prices

Clutter prices depend significantly upon how many items need to be stored. To get a free quote for the cost of Clutter storage, fill out a brief questionnaire and provide your ZIP code, the size of storage unit you need, how you plan to move your belongings into storage, how long you plan to use the storage unit, and the date you need the storage unit. Review a variety of pickup time options, and if the Clutter price is acceptable, submit your email address.

Please note that Clutter charges a deposit for the first pickup. The first month of storage is charged after pickup, and then billing is automatic. If you ever need to update your billing information, you can easily log in to your Clutter account and update your default for automatic payments.

Clutter security and protection

Clutter automatically provides a Limited Security Warranty Policy that covers possessions up to $1.00 per pound. Additional $1,000 or $2,500 protection plans are available for an extra charge. Be aware that Clutter is only responsible for the items they pack and visually inspect.

Clutter customer service

Most scheduling and rescheduling is completed through the Clutter website. If you have further logistical questions, you can call Clutter customer service number any day of the week, from Monday to Friday, 6:00–6:00 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 a.m–5:00 p.m., PT.

Clutter FAQ

Do I have to sign a contract to store with Clutter?
Yes. However, all Clutter storage agreements are month-to-month.
What items are prohibited at Clutter storage?
Clutter company policy prohibits certain items, like liquids, perishable food items, living creatures, hazardous materials, some types of pianos, pool tables and vehicles. A detailed list of Clutter prohibited items can be found on their Terms of Service.
Is Clutter responsible for packing delicate items and valuables?
Clutter can only ensure delicate or valuable items are packed safely with the additional Clutter Plus service. If you don’t have Clutter Plus, then it is your responsibility to pack your delicate belongings correctly.
Can Clutter store my belongings for a month or less?
All Clutter storage contracts are month-to-month. You can store items at a Clutter warehouse for less than a month, but Clutter will not prorate the cost.
Can Clutter dispose of or donate my unwanted items?
No, Clutter will not dispose of or donate unwanted items at this time.
Should I tip Clutter movers?
Only if you want to — Clutter moving specialists appreciate tips, but tipping is not required.
Can I visit my things in Clutter storage?
No, Clutter storage facilities are not open to the public. However, you can schedule the delivery of your items at any time.
What happens if I move outside of the Clutter service areas?
Clutter does not provide shipping services but can help to facilitate the relocation of clients’ belongings anywhere.
Does Clutter charge a late fee for overdue payments?
Yes, Clutter charges a 15% fee if a payment is more than 30 days late.
How much does Clutter storage cost?
Clutter storage rates vary by size and location, but the average Clutter storage cost is $150–$250 per month.
Does Clutter charge a deposit?
Yes, Clutter charges a deposit for first-time pickups. The specific amount will be in the confirmation email sent before your pickup date.

Do we recommend Clutter?

Yes, Clutter storage company is a smart choice for those who live in an area where their services are available. Professional moving and storage specialists take a digital inventory of all their clients’ belongings to eliminate confusion. Plus, Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras, so you know your most valuable or sentimental items are safe.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?

Original review: June 12, 2022

A warning to those who think they are protected if/when things are lost. I stored my one-bedroom apartment with MakeSpace (which joined Clutter during the tenure of my storage) from September 2021 to June 2022, and unfortunately have been immensely disappointed with the return service. Once I decided to take my items out of storage, I began encountering problem after problem. The evening before my items were to be delivered from the storage warehouse I received an email marked "URGENT" explaining that my mattress and topper (together), the largest item I had stored, would not be included in my delivery the next day. There was no further information provided on what the issue was or what my options were as next steps. As my items were set to be delivered to a shipping company as I have since moved abroad, I spent all night trying to get in touch with someone to figure out what was going on, with no luck.

The next day, after the rest of my items arrived and with no further information from the moving staff or the corporate staff on my mattress, I continued calling, emailing, and trying the online form until I finally found out that my mattress and topper had been mysteriously lost at an unknown time. I was told that I should hold my shipment as they were locating the items, and I could submit a claim for compensation if they were not found. I was also assured that the claims department would get in contact with me within 3-5 business days.

It has now been well over a week since I submitted my claim, and I have yet to receive any communication from the claims department. I have called to follow up several times, all to no avail. Most recently, I was told by the general call center that the claims department was "offering" $107 for my $2500 mattress and topper (despite the fact that I provided links to the items and their cost, which I was told would result in per-value compensation) and that they were no longer trying to find my lost belongings. I have been holding the rest of my shipment up for over 2 weeks, and have only just found out they were not actually trying to locate the mattress after all. All of this is costing time, money and of course unnecessary stress.

The claims department has yet to communicate with me directly via phone or email at all. I have not been officially "offered" anything; moreover, $107 does nothing to help me replace a $2500 mattress/topper combination that was specifically for back pain, neither does $107 correspond to the weight of the lost items (which is related to the insurance policy the company provides). Additionally, the company is not able to verify when my mattress and topper were lost, so I don't know that they ever even made it to the warehouse in the first place; meanwhile I've been paying to "store" those items for nine months and haven't been offered any compensation for that either.

I wish I didn't have to be writing this review. I wish I didn't have to be dealing with this problem, especially amidst the baseline stress that comes with moving. But the reason for doing this isn't because there was a problem with the storage provided by MakeSpace/Clutter; it's because of the complete lack of service and the inability of anyone so far to take responsibility for the problem. I hope someone will see this and I can finally get the full compensation I deserve and need to afford a new suitable mattress.

Hi Yael,

We are sorry to hear that you experienced lost items and are dissatisfied with our claim process and response time. A member of our Trust & Safety team will be reaching out to you to follow up on your concerns and attempt to work towards a resolution.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: June 10, 2022

Updated on 06/22/2022: After we left Clutter/MakeSpace a negative review on June 10, we got the usual "let's work this out" message. After STILL being unable to reach either Clutter or MakeSpace for days, Clutter finally reached out. We were able to make an appointment to have our stuff delivered from storage, only to have MakeSpace try to reschedule at the last minute. Then we logged on to look at our delivery online, only to find they have NO RECORD of our stuff. Our experience has gone from inconvenient to criminal waste of time to nightmarish with no relief in sight. Whatever you do, avoid dealing with this disaster of a company if you possibly can.

Original Review: We have been storing hundreds of dollars worth of household furniture and effects with Makespace for years. Since the Clutter acquisition, we have not been able to reach Makespace by email or phone. Emails are not answered. Calls go immediately to hold and we have waited up to 30 minutes with no luck. Have our items been stolen? Sold? Lost? We have no idea, and Makespace won't talk to us. If this sounds like the customer experience you're looking for, by all means use Makespace or Clutter. Otherwise, run do not walk away.

Hi John,

We truly apologize for the negative experience you’ve had while trying to get in touch with our Customer Experience Team. We’d like to connect with you to resolve this issue quickly for you.

However, we could not locate your account based on your information here. Therefore, for the next steps, our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you through a private message to connect and discuss further. We look forward to resolving this matter soon fully.

The Clutter Team.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2022

Arrived before appointment time. Took 7 hours to move my studio apartment. Broke my computer monitor, my record player stand, and a giant sheet of glass in the lobby. Refused to compensate me for it in total costing me hundreds of dollars. Were not able to get my couch up the stairs even though another moving company was able to. Sent the same mover that broke the sheet of glass when taking things out of storage to add insult to injury.

Hi Tim,

We apologize for the level of service that you have received while storing with us. We take pride in carefully storing our customers' items, and any experience that does not demonstrate such care is below the standards we have set as a company. As a result, our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution. We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner.

The Clutter Team

Original review: June 6, 2022

I've not removed or added anything to my 5x10 unit since I've started with Clutter in August 2019 and my unit is only 61% full. I'm not sure why my pricing has more than doubled in less than 3 years. Crazy! I started out paying $98 per month August 2019. Feb 2020 127 per month. May 2020 $135 per month. November 2020 $151 per month. Dec 2021 $182 per month. May 2022 $218 per month.

Hi Charlayne,

The Clutter Team

Original review: June 5, 2022

Do not use them. They are a scammer company. They prey on college students to scam them out of 1000s of dollars, they do not have. My student booked them for a month to month contract, because we do not have the money to drive the stuff home, right now and they sneaked an 8 month plan, uncancelable plan, under. They lied to us, that they send us an email, but that email came 37 minutes after appointment, so you had no time to read it, since movers were there. My student only needed a storage for 3 month, but they want her now to pay 8 month or they will not give the stuff back. For that money we could drive my students stuff home and back. Makes absolute no sense, why my student would book a 8 month contract. It was a glitch on their booking page, or done on purpose by them, that the plan changed to that, as my student clicked month to month.. We called them right away, but they are no customer company.

They rather screw every customer over, to never ever come back to them, and lose them...and their friends and their friends, than admit and correct their wrong doing. If you ask who you talking too, they will tell you wrong names. We talked to 5 people, because they keep throwing us out of the line, and we were told 3 names of people we spoke to did not exist. Be prepared to be hours on the phone. They also charge you a surprise, outrageous service fee of almost $800. The people who came by to pack, were slow, forgot to take photos and charged for the time they made mistakes too. Then you also have to pay a other ransom fee, to get your stuff back out, in the end of the scammed in 8 month contract, again a $ 500 fee. They call it also service fee, makes no sense at all, since they have no service, just screw poor families and student over. They of course want all money at once.

We do not have that, or we would not have tried to use their storage. We could pack all in a car and drive home for 3 month. So be prepared for a first payment of way over $1000 for the smallest amount of stuff to store. Oh but there is even more fees and more fees. If you want your items, wrongful holded by them now 8 month, earlier as the 8 month back, more fees and you have to pay the 8 month storage and the almost $ 500 fee. It is a scam. They know student only have a few items to store over the summer, because campus housing closes. The guy named Oliver, who told us he help us, even admitted to us, that they know students only need storage for 2 or 3 month. But did he help or correct the contract. NO he did not.

So now they trick you and change your plan to 8 month, to suck the living life out of poor honest good people or they keep your stuff. Every normal company would help their customers to make it right, but this is not a good company. They do not care a bit about their customers. All they ever say or write are lies, no help from them at all. Just money greedy bad company, who I can see to be soon out of business for screwing over all their long year and new customers. Please do not book them and warn everyone. Spread around at all colleges, YELP, over all social media pages. Google what other people write about them. It is a nightmare we are still in, we did not book an 8 month plan, nor do we have that kind of money. We cried and had/have breakdowns, all because this company littley "rapes" you over. I honestly do not know how they sleep at night. It is awful when someone is out to hurt your child.

Since they do not want to help us, or make their fault right, I will even see now, if the news maybe can report about what happened to us, so maybe then they will fix it and, also so that other people do not get into the sleepless nightmares, we are going right now through. It used to be a nice company, but now they are scammers. Read the reviews about them. So sad, we just wanted them to fix it, we do not have almost $ 2000 scam money, for a contract we did not book, do not need and for sure can not pay. All we wanted is our yearly contract, to pay monthly to store some items.

Hi T,

We truly apologize for the negative experience you’ve had, and we’d like to connect with you to try and resolve this issue for you. We were unable to locate your account based on your information here, so please send us a message through your account portal to get in touch with the Trust & Safety Team.

The Clutter Team

Original review: June 4, 2022

My husband and I put all of our stuff into storage using MakeSpace for one year while we traveled. We just got our stuff back and I would never use MakeSpace/Clutter again. The company has changed its policies and raised its prices multiple times throughout the year — and they do so in shady ways with emails about T&Cs changing but not telling you how it affects your pricing.

Six weeks before we needed our stuff back, I went to make an appointment — the only day they had available for full service delivery was two days after our move (again, six weeks out). They didn’t have pick up available at all for the month. So, I chose the closest date available (consequently, 6 days after my monthly billing cycle) assuming they would pro-rate the month. What I didn’t know is MakeSpace/Clutter will only pro-rate if you were within 5 days. They don’t care that more than a month out they themselves couldn’t provide the service so you could get it within that window.

They also changed their pricing for Full Service Delivery and it’s a scam. They email you with new “Clutter” pricing saying 1) your overall storage cost will go up because of our merge (it did), and 2) that there is new pricing for delivery making it cheaper, only to tell me that that pricing isn’t available in my market. Then, when I booked my delivery, I was told one price and upon delivery charged $200 more. I’ve spent hours on the phone with customer service and it’s horrific. It will take you a week of daily calls and e-mails just to reach a supervisor who puts you on hold for 45 minutes and ultimately won’t do anything. He just reads a script saying “absolutely (name)”, promises to get back to you and you never hear from him again.

So, I paid $487 for storage in June despite only using it for 6 days (really 5 days plus the 8 hours until my 8am delivery) and overpaid by $200 for my delivery, and they won’t remove the charge. All to say… do not use this company. It’s not worth it. All the marketing and branding in the world won’t make this a good experience. Hire a few guys and go to your local storage facility, you’ll thank yourself a year later.

Hi Haley,

We are sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with your experience and understand you were in communication with the leadership team to address your concerns. Our team was able to address the June storage payment concerns and we hope it helped!

The Clutter Team

Original review: June 2, 2022

I am so disappointed in Clutter, and rarely go out of my way to leave a bad review but in this case it feels warranted. I had been a Makespace customer for over 7 years, and had been storing 3 small plastic bins with them for a fee of $19.99 per month. I used to recommend them to everyone, and based on my 2 months as a customer with Clutter I can safely say I would actively recommend everyone I know (and the rest of the internet) away from a company who is focused on making short-term gains with your possessions over taking care of the customers who help pay their bills.

On February 18th Makespace announced they were purchased by Clutter, and on February 25th Clutter sent a cryptic email stating that "some rates would be lower some would be higher", with no further details directly in the email about the specific rate change I would receive. In March I received an emailed invoice from Clutter for $19.60. Great, my rate had decreased! In April I received no emailed invoice from Clutter. Then in May I received an emailed invoice for $107.79. That's right, a 540% increase in price. It turned out I had been charged $107.79 in April too, but they had failed to email me an invoice.

I emailed Clutter who told me to file a claim. The claims team responded by saying "Per our records, you received an email regarding this adjustment in late February titled: 'MakeSpace is changing your pricing.' This email also detailed how the smallest plan size would now be the 5x5, as opposed to your previous plan. As such, we cannot offer a refund for the two months of storage with Clutter." There was zero humanity in the process. No consideration given for my 7 years of history with Makespace. Or for the fact that the 540% price increase might have come as a shock. Instead just the cold, hard logic that an obscure notification email was enough to make it my responsibility to pay their inflated prices.

To add to the insult I was then charged $170 to have my 3 plastic boxes returned to me. So all in all, I am almost $400 out of pocket to have 3 small plastic bins stored and returned for 2 months with Clutter. If this is how they treat loyal customers from their acquisitions, then I dread to think what they would do if I were to store valuable possessions with them.

Hi Stephen,

We are sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with your experience with our company and the rate adjustments that took place on the account. While rate adjustments are standard in the storage industry, we do want to look into this further for you and work towards a resolution. A member of Trust & Safety will be reaching out to you to follow up.

Original review: May 26, 2022

Where to start!!!! I scheduled an appointment with this horrible company to pick up my items in storage!!!! Called the morning of to confirm my appointment and Clutter is saying there was no appointment booked!!! Thank God for screen shots. 4 hours later, in a truck I rented and drove from out of state to pick up my items and still NO help and damn sure no resolution!!!! I was told to get TaskRabbit to have my items delivered. Huh?!?! This is the absolute WORST company I’ve ever dealt with!!! STAY AWAY from this company!!! You’ve been warned!!!!

Sue,

We are so very sorry to hear that your appointment did not go through. We attempt to avoid these types of errors but even technology fails at times. However, this is no excuse and we are sorry that you had to rent a truck last minute to carry out your move. We hope everything else went seamlessly in your travels and apologize again for the experience.

Original review: May 26, 2022

If all you read is this line; run away (don't walk) from Clutter as quickly as you can. I cannot overestimate how frustrated, annoyed, disappointed, and angry I am with my overall MakeSpace/Clutter experience. After 18 months of storage, every item of furniture I had in storage is damaged beyond repair. Even the movers who returned my items (who only picked up a truck already packed) were embarrassed and angry on my behalf of the clear lack of care and attention given during moving and storage. Their customer service is atrocious and the online/offline experiences are just antagonizing.

I was specifically willing to spend more when I signed up because I expected additional care when moving and storing my belongings. The only things that weren't damaged had been packed by myself. Why did I bother storing my stuff 18 months, only to have to toss much of it out and start fresh? I paid for a service that was supposed to save me money, and it ended up costing me thousands and thousands in unnecessary storage and moving fees for items that got thrown out and replaced.

Hi James,

We'd like to start off by apologizing for your experience with Clutter. We take pride in storing our customers' items with care, and any experience that does not display such care is below our standards. Our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution with you. We would like to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 25, 2022

Had a consistently great experience with Makespace, but since the Clutter acquisition things have started to go downhill. With Makespace I was paying ~$33.75/mo for a 5'x5' space (that I use 15% of), and as of April 2022 - with no notice - Clutter increased the cost of this plan to ~$107.79/mo. After noticing the charge on my credit card statement I contacted them and their reasoning was, "...so we can continue to provide to top-tier service, provide our employees with a livable wage, and cover the increases in cost of business". I understand small increases might be necessary over time - but an increase of this amount with no appreciable change in service is unacceptable.

Hello Jesse,

We apologize for the level of service that you have received while storing with us. We take pride in offering world-class service, and any experience that does not demonstrate such care is below the standards we have set as a company. As a result, our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution. We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner.

Clutter Company Information