ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.35/5

From packing your belongings, storing them, and delivering your items back to you at a specific time, Clutter has your back. Schedule exactly what you need and when you need it done through their mobile app or over the phone. Clutter’s team will make sure this process is easy and stress-free!

You can find locations in the following areas: New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Delaware, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, Chicago, Bay Area, Sacramento, Seattle, and Portland. More locations coming soon!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Clutter is a storage company with 2 million square feet of secure warehouse facilities and more than 200 trucks. Storage isn't available nationwide, but Clutter customer service is excellent in the locations they service.

PROS

• Digital inventory
  • Protection plan available
  • Price match guarantee
  • Pick-up, delivery and packing included

CONS

• No in-person access
  • Not available nationwide

Clutter review

Clutter storage solutions provide month-to-month storage for your belongings. Clutter services include packing materials, packing help, pick up and delivery. What sets Clutter apart from other storage companies is their extensive photo inventory process. With this system, Clutter and their customers have both a visual inventory and itemized list of stored items. Since Clutter’s storage facilities are secured and closed to the public, you can’t visit your items in storage; however, you can have them delivered back to you at any time.

Clutter conducts extensive background checks and screenings on all employees, making their moving and storage specialists well-trained and thoroughly vetted. Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras. The Clutter storage company provides their Limited Security Warranty Policy to all customers, and further protection for items can be purchased for a fee.

Clutter storage solutions

Clutter services available include packing assistance, pickup, storage and delivery. Clutter customers can manage their items in storage, book pickups and returns, and schedule or reschedule orders through the Clutter website.

Clutter storage services
Before they store anything in one of their secure warehouse facilities, Clutter collects an online photo inventory, so they have an exact index and location of all your items. Clutter offers a variety of storage units, from the size of a small closet to custom accommodations for storing an entire business inventory or large estate.
  • Clutter storage locations: Chicago, Los Angeles, New Jersey, New York City, Orange County, San Diego, the Bay Area and Seattle.
Clutter pickup services
Clutter’s pickup service will transport items from clients’ homes to a Clutter storage warehouse. Items should be boxed and labeled in advance.
  • Prohibited items: Liquids of any kind, food or perishables, illegal or controlled substances, hazardous materials, living things, grand pianos, upright pianos, and pool tables are prohibited. For an entire list of prohibited items, refer to the Clutter Terms Of Service.
Clutter delivery services
Clutter transports items from their warehouse facilities back to clients’ homes upon request. Upon delivery, Clutter representatives place appliances or furniture in the area of your choosing one time at no additional cost.
  • Delivery service areas: New York City, Los Angeles, the Bay Area, Orange County, Inland Empire, Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Philadelphia and New Jersey.
Clutter packing services
Clutter packing help is a service that adequately prepares and packs all your items into boxes or storage containers. Clutter representatives provide packing materials — like moving blankets and shrink wrap — to ensure that your belongings are suitably packed for transportation and storage.

How does Clutter work?

As a full-service storage company, Clutter picks-up, stores then delivers items when needed. First-time pickups can be scheduled online or over the phone with a Clutter customer service representative. On the scheduled pickup day, a team of Clutter moving specialists arrives at your location.

Before packing, Clutter collects a digital photographic inventory of your belongings and assigns a unique barcode to each item. Then, Clutter transports the inventory to one of their secured storage facilities.

If you want to retrieve an item in the future, all you need to do is access your Clutter account and select which item you need. Clutter will then deliver the item back to you.

Clutter storage prices

Clutter prices depend significantly upon how many items need to be stored. To get a free quote for the cost of Clutter storage, fill out a brief questionnaire and provide your ZIP code, the size of storage unit you need, how you plan to move your belongings into storage, how long you plan to use the storage unit, and the date you need the storage unit. Review a variety of pickup time options, and if the Clutter price is acceptable, submit your email address.

Please note that Clutter charges a deposit for the first pickup. The first month of storage is charged after pickup, and then billing is automatic. If you ever need to update your billing information, you can easily log in to your Clutter account and update your default for automatic payments.

Clutter security and protection

Clutter automatically provides a Limited Security Warranty Policy that covers possessions up to $1.00 per pound. Additional $1,000 or $2,500 protection plans are available for an extra charge. Be aware that Clutter is only responsible for the items they pack and visually inspect.

Clutter Reviews

Original review: July 10, 2019

Clutter is an amazing company in every way! They arrived on time and within 45 minutes had my daughter’s things all packed up and on their truck to storage. When they quoted me over the phone, and by the way I filled out an application online and within 2 min of hitting send, someone called me right away, I thought this company was too good to be true. It wasn’t expensive and they helped me a great deal with all the heavy items that I wouldn’t have been able to do on my own. They promised and delivered everything they said they would. I am curious to see if I will get the same service when they deliver my daughter’s things to her new dorm. I have a good feeling they will!

Get expert buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I thought the packing up and moving process was too good to be true, and it sort of was... it was a bit arduous and packers were not skilled. I saw them drop a whole stack of my furniture from the truck lift, and cringed, but let it go. When the movers brought my stuff back, of course, a lot of stuff was broken. The good thing was, they were very good about reimbursing anything that broke at whatever the going cost was of the product. I got replies back from almost everything except the last item, but I figured I waited too long (almost 3 weeks after the move in before I found it was broken), and it was very hard to show by a photo at the lamp switch was jammed and couldn't be turned on. Fortunately not of my items were extremely expensive. For the price I paid, I don't think anyone could find a comparable service.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I have had two great experiences. First I had a show set that needed storage and they were prompt to pick up and help pack up the set. It's a real cost saver in terms of bodies needed, rental and storage costs. Storage costs are reasonable. Second I had them pack up my apartment and I wasn't sure how big a storage space I needed but they were honest and put me in a smaller space which was such a great rate. Plus I like the pictures that I can see of my stuff. I recommend to everyone!!

Original review: July 2, 2019

Genuinely the best service I've ever received anywhere. Lately I've been talking about how bad service has gotten... in restaurants, retail stores, everywhere. But Clutter not only met my high expectations, they exceeded them. I worked with three separate teams on three different occasions and each team was extremely polite, highly efficient, exceptionally organized and just absolutely as nice as could be. I've honestly never been more impressed with a service. They wrapped my items far better than I ever could. They were fast and conscientious.

When I had my items delivered, there was no damage whatsoever. And the amount of bubble wrap protecting every single item was beyond what I would have used myself. They were so careful taking furniture out and delivering it to my new home. No scratches, bumps or dings on walls. And even when I changed my mind and asked to move an item to a different room, they didn't grumble or roll their eyes. They said, "Of course, happy to!" I especially enjoyed having a couple females on the crews to show my daughter that girls can do anything guys can! I have referred Clutter many times and would trust them with anything. Thanks for making my pre-move and final move so easy and carefree!

Original review: July 2, 2019

Each experience with the Clutter team has always been positive. The drivers/movers are very kind. They take great care in packing and moving furniture as if it is their own. The Customer Service Team is very polite and helpful when calling in with questions/concerns. One Criticism: Since I am from NY and your Customer Service Team is in CA, it is not possible to speak to someone in Customer Service when I am expecting a delivery at 7am NY Time because it is only 4AM CA time. If there were some way to bridge that gap and make someone available in CA that would be helpful. Perhaps you can add instructions on the recording that says "If you are calling our office outside of our business hours, please call our dispatch department at the following telephone number". Just a suggestion. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

They will lose your stuff, not inform you they lost it, do a half-assed job of "searching" for it, offer a laughable amount for the valuables lost, then leave you in claims limbo where the only communication is snail mail. (And btw they tell you to file a police report if they lose your stuff.)

What happened to me:

(1) Clutter lost my snowboarding bag and gear (huge bag worth over $3k). This cost me significant money and time. 1) It took me years and many snowboard shop visits / web searches to get my full kit, 2) since my gear was lost during the season I'm now forced to pay extra for gear rentals ($100 per day) or pony up time and money to replace all my gear during the most expensive time of the year.

(2) Clutter did not notify me when the gear was lost. I found out during snowboarding season when I scheduled a delivery and during the scheduled delivery was told my bag was "lost".

(3) Clutter's claims process is opaque and slow, and their warehouse management cannot be trusted. I was told to file a claim through their website. 5 days later, the claims department replied in email that they had "processed" my claim and Clutter was offering $125 for over $3000 worth of lost valuables. Clutter did not explain how the gear was lost by their services, their process for searching for the gear, how they determined it was "lost", or how they determined a $125 reimbursement was anywhere near reasonable. When I called in to customer service, I was told that "Clutter is constantly reviewing items kept in storage, and due to their process no one is allowed to search their warehouses." Additionally, I was told that because Clutter is constantly reviewing items in storage, I may be informed at a later date if my gear is "found". I pointed out that Clutter cannot simultaneously have 1) done a thorough search and concluded my gear is lost and 2) expect to magically find it at a later date. Either they did a half-assed search, or their warehouse management is a complete mess.

(4) Clutter's protection coverage is laughable, and how they go about offering it is negligent / misleading at best and downright predatory at worst. I paid for Clutter's protection coverage. When my gear was lost, I was informed that the reimbursement amount was low because I was on a "minimal" plan. This made no sense as a) I was paying for Clutter's "premium" plan and b) I was never informed during sign-up or during the upgrade process that there were other protection plans available as options.

Bottom line: Clutter cannot be trusted with your valuables. Their warehouse is mismanaged, and they shirk responsibility if they lose your belongings. Better off going with a storage unit if you VALUE your belongings because Clutter does NOT.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Do not use Clutter! We used Clutter to store a number of items including a bed frame and tv stand. At first we really liked Clutter because they took everything from our home and would deliver it to our new home. But when we moved in to our new place and had them deliver our items, the delivery people informed us that they had lost the bed frame and two of the legs of our tv stand had been ripped off. The value of these items are around $400-$500. Their policy says they pay $1 per pound of damaged or lost items, which means they would pay us $89 for these items.

When we called to explain that the items were worth much more than that, they countered with an offer of $205. This isn’t even half of the value of the items. Not only are they not willing to give us the value of our items, but they are not willing to refund any of the money we paid to store these items. Basically we paid to store these items for 8 months for no reason. We should have just thrown these items away and saved our money.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

Clutter has been dishonest from the very beginning. When I first signed up with them their sales representative sold me air. So many problems with the original pick up of my belongings. I was not told upfront that I won't have access for my stored items unless I scheduled a return request which is very inconvenient. The pick up was so not organized even they left without taking the rest of my items. I had to reach to multiple supervisors to get that resolved.

Now just another surprise that I was not told from the beginning that their rates can change dramatically and it is not fixed rate or at least a specific percentage of increase. My rate was doubled or even more with only one month notice. If this important information is not mentioned upfront and clearly explained before signing up then I can fairly call this company as scam or fraud. Now I am stuck and I have to look for a quick alternative because there is no way I am continuing with such company. BE WARNED... DO NOT SIGN UP. BAAAD COMPANY OVERALL JUST THE WORST. I WISH THERE WAS ZERO STARS.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

Prior to my monthly November 3rd billing date, I reached out to Clutter to inform them I would be downsizing my (maximum) storage plan. I requested items to be returned on the 29th of October and explained over the phone to customer service I don’t want to be charged $1600 for the max storage plan. I was ensured that my plan will downsize and I would pay a lesser amount. I then made a second request to return items on October 30th in hopes of further reducing the size of my plan. Unfortunately that 2nd return couldn’t be delivered until Nov 4th, but Clutter customer service said they will provide a credit to my account for the difference. To my surprise, on November 3rd I was charged $1600... the same amount I’ve been paying since May 7th, 2019. Additionally, Clutter wanted me to pay a labor fee for the returned items on Nov 4th (Per my plan, I’m allowed unlimited returns). Clutter did waive the labor fee after I proved they were wrong.

Today, I spoke with a rep by the name of Sess and she refused to refund the $400 + to my credit card... after I specifically asked to downgrade before Nov 3rd. I basically paid for space I didn’t use. Sess stated that I was asked to call back after my items were returned in order to downsize. I don’t recall having to do so considering I specifically made the request multiple times prior to my billing date. I would think that if a customer makes a request to downsize before the subsequent billing date, they will honor it and operate in good faith. I’m never using Clutter again not only because of misleading customer service practices, but they also did a lazy/sloppy job wrapping my furniture items. Now I have damaged furniture that exceeds the $1000 claim/refund they’ve offered me.

Clutter response

Hi Mr. Prins,

We apologize for the negative issues you have faced while utilizing our services. Our goal is to provide a seamless service, and that includes easy moving and storage as well as easy and affordable billing.

We'd appreciate the opportunity to look into this further, so our Community Engagement specialist will be reaching out to discuss further. We hope to come to a quick and fair resolution for your case.

Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

BEWARE... Bait and switch. I signed up with Clutter during a promotion. I was repeatedly told I would be grandfathered into the promotion of free unlimited pick ups and deliveries. They are not honoring it, now if I want my my belongings from my 5 bedroom house I will have to pay $65 per hour, per mover. Their offer of one free one hour pick up or delivery per month would take me months to clear out my storage! It took me at least 10 minutes of arguing with their staff and threat of my lawyers to talk with a supervisor, I was sent to their customer care center. I was able to confirm they would deliver all my belongings for free, HOWEVER they will need to split the deliveries into multiple deliveries.

Let's hope they can work them into one month so I don't have to pay the $810 for another month, they do not prorate the fee. If the last delivery is scheduled one day after my storage due date, I pay for another month! I might need to update this review, I have not received the email from their customer care department confirming the agreement to deliver my belongings free of charge! I started my storage in Riverside, CA.

Clutter response

Hi Debra,

We apologize for any negative issues you have faced while storing with us. Our goal as a company is to provide a premium service at an economical price, so we apologize if your billing situation has not met your expectations.

We see our Community Engagement specialist has been in contact with you. We hope he can help resolve your issues in a quick and fair manner.

Thank you.

Clutter customer service

Most scheduling and rescheduling is completed through the Clutter website. If you have further logistical questions, you can call Clutter customer service number any day of the week, from Monday to Friday, 6:00–6:00 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 a.m–5:00 p.m., PT.

Clutter FAQ

Do I have to sign a contract to store with Clutter?
    Yes. However, all Clutter storage agreements are month-to-month.
    What items are prohibited at Clutter storage?
    Clutter company policy prohibits certain items, like liquids, perishable food items, living creatures, hazardous materials, some types of pianos, pool tables and vehicles. A detailed list of Clutter prohibited items can be found on their Terms of Service.
    Is Clutter responsible for packing delicate items and valuables?
    Clutter can only ensure delicate or valuable items are packed safely with the additional Clutter Plus service. If you don’t have Clutter Plus, then it is your responsibility to pack your delicate belongings correctly.
    Can Clutter store my belongings for a month or less?
    All Clutter storage contracts are month-to-month. You can store items at a Clutter warehouse for less than a month, but Clutter will not prorate the cost.
    Can Clutter dispose of or donate my unwanted items?
    No, Clutter will not dispose of or donate unwanted items at this time.
    Should I tip Clutter movers?
    Only if you want to — Clutter moving specialists appreciate tips, but tipping is not required.
    Can I visit my things in Clutter storage?
    No, Clutter storage facilities are not open to the public. However, you can schedule the delivery of your items at any time.
    What happens if I move outside of the Clutter service areas?
    Clutter does not provide shipping services but can help to facilitate the relocation of clients’ belongings anywhere.
    Does Clutter charge a late fee for overdue payments?
    Yes, Clutter charges a 15% fee if a payment is more than 30 days late.
    How much does Clutter storage cost?
    Clutter storage rates vary by size and location, but the average Clutter storage cost is $150–$250 per month.
    Does Clutter charge a deposit?
    Yes, Clutter charges a deposit for first-time pickups. The specific amount will be in the confirmation email sent before your pickup date.

Do we recommend Clutter?

Yes, Clutter storage company is a smart choice for those who live in an area where their services are available. Professional moving and storage specialists take a digital inventory of all their clients’ belongings to eliminate confusion. Plus, Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras, so you know your most valuable or sentimental items are safe.

Clutter Company Information