Clutter

Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About Clutter

Clutter uses its proprietary, end-to-end technology to offer convenient moving and storage services, including a Smart Storage option where it handles depositing and withdrawing your items for you. Clutter also focuses on your digital experience, allowing you to schedule services, check your storage inventory and manage your move online. However, it only operates in parts of California, New Jersey, New York and Washington, and available services vary by market.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Smart Storage with pickup and delivery
  • Month-to-month storage available
  • Discounts for longer commitments
  • Optional packing service
Cons
  • Not available everywhere
  • Smart Storage has extra fees

About Clutter

Clutter storage solutions provide month-to-month storage for your belongings. Clutter services include packing materials, packing help, pick up and delivery. What sets Clutter apart from other storage companies is their extensive photo inventory process. With this system, Clutter and their customers have both a visual inventory and itemized list of stored items. Since Clutter’s storage facilities are secured and closed to the public, you can’t visit your items in storage; however, you can have them delivered back to you at any time.

Clutter conducts extensive background checks and screenings on all employees, making their moving and storage specialists well-trained and thoroughly vetted. Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras. The Clutter storage company provides their Limited Security Warranty Policy to all customers, and further protection for items can be purchased for a fee.

Clutter storage solutions

Clutter services available include packing assistance, pickup, storage and delivery. Clutter customers can manage their items in storage, book pickups and returns, and schedule or reschedule orders through the Clutter website.

Clutter storage services
Before they store anything in one of their secure warehouse facilities, Clutter collects an online photo inventory, so they have an exact index and location of all your items. Clutter offers a variety of storage units, from the size of a small closet to custom accommodations for storing an entire business inventory or large estate.
  • Clutter storage locations: Chicago, Los Angeles, New Jersey, New York City, Orange County, San Diego, the Bay Area and Seattle.
Clutter pickup services
Clutter’s pickup service will transport items from clients’ homes to a Clutter storage warehouse. Items should be boxed and labeled in advance.
  • Prohibited items: Liquids of any kind, food or perishables, illegal or controlled substances, hazardous materials, living things, grand pianos, upright pianos, and pool tables are prohibited. For an entire list of prohibited items, refer to the Clutter Terms Of Service.
Clutter delivery services
Clutter transports items from their warehouse facilities back to clients’ homes upon request. Upon delivery, Clutter representatives place appliances or furniture in the area of your choosing one time at no additional cost.
  • Delivery service areas: New York City, Los Angeles, the Bay Area, Orange County, Inland Empire, Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Philadelphia and New Jersey.
Clutter packing services
Clutter packing help is a service that adequately prepares and packs all your items into boxes or storage containers. Clutter representatives provide packing materials — like moving blankets and shrink wrap — to ensure that your belongings are suitably packed for transportation and storage.

How does Clutter work?

As a full-service storage company, Clutter picks-up, stores then delivers items when needed. First-time pickups can be scheduled online or over the phone with a Clutter customer service representative. On the scheduled pickup day, a team of Clutter moving specialists arrives at your location.

Before packing, Clutter collects a digital photographic inventory of your belongings and assigns a unique barcode to each item. Then, Clutter transports the inventory to one of their secured storage facilities.

If you want to retrieve an item in the future, all you need to do is access your Clutter account and select which item you need. Clutter will then deliver the item back to you.

Clutter storage prices

Clutter prices depend significantly upon how many items need to be stored. To get a free quote for the cost of Clutter storage, fill out a brief questionnaire and provide your ZIP code, the size of storage unit you need, how you plan to move your belongings into storage, how long you plan to use the storage unit, and the date you need the storage unit. Review a variety of pickup time options, and if the Clutter price is acceptable, submit your email address.

Please note that Clutter charges a deposit for the first pickup. The first month of storage is charged after pickup, and then billing is automatic. If you ever need to update your billing information, you can easily log in to your Clutter account and update your default for automatic payments.

Clutter security and protection

Clutter automatically provides a Limited Security Warranty Policy that covers possessions up to $1.00 per pound. Additional $1,000 or $2,500 protection plans are available for an extra charge. Be aware that Clutter is only responsible for the items they pack and visually inspect.

Clutter customer service

Most scheduling and rescheduling is completed through the Clutter website. If you have further logistical questions, you can call Clutter customer service number any day of the week, from Monday to Friday, 6:00–6:00 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 a.m–5:00 p.m., PT.

Clutter FAQ

Do I have to sign a contract to store with Clutter?

Yes. However, all Clutter storage agreements are month-to-month.

What items are prohibited at Clutter storage?

Clutter company policy prohibits certain items, like liquids, perishable food items, living creatures, hazardous materials, some types of pianos, pool tables and vehicles. A detailed list of Clutter prohibited items can be found on their Terms of Service.

Is Clutter responsible for packing delicate items and valuables?

Clutter can only ensure delicate or valuable items are packed safely with the additional Clutter Plus service. If you don’t have Clutter Plus, then it is your responsibility to pack your delicate belongings correctly.

Can Clutter store my belongings for a month or less?

All Clutter storage contracts are month-to-month. You can store items at a Clutter warehouse for less than a month, but Clutter will not prorate the cost.

Can Clutter dispose of or donate my unwanted items?

No, Clutter will not dispose of or donate unwanted items at this time.

Should I tip Clutter movers?

Only if you want to — Clutter moving specialists appreciate tips, but tipping is not required.

Can I visit my things in Clutter storage?

No, Clutter storage facilities are not open to the public. However, you can schedule the delivery of your items at any time.

What happens if I move outside of the Clutter service areas?

Clutter does not provide shipping services but can help to facilitate the relocation of clients’ belongings anywhere.

Does Clutter charge a late fee for overdue payments?

Yes, Clutter charges a 15% fee if a payment is more than 30 days late.

How much does Clutter storage cost?

Clutter storage rates vary by size and location, but the average Clutter storage cost is $150–$250 per month.

Does Clutter charge a deposit?

Yes, Clutter charges a deposit for first-time pickups. The specific amount will be in the confirmation email sent before your pickup date.

Do we recommend Clutter?

Yes, Clutter storage company is a smart choice for those who live in an area where their services are available. Professional moving and storage specialists take a digital inventory of all their clients’ belongings to eliminate confusion. Plus, Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras, so you know your most valuable or sentimental items are safe.

Clutter Reviews

Stars Rating

• 58%
  • 4%
  • 6%
  • 5%
  • 27%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?
    Verified purchase
    Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed June 9, 2024

Eduardo H and Chris O helped us move out of our apartment and it was a huge relief. Usually, we just move ourselves and typically scratch or bang up our pieces. Thankfully Eduardo and Chris took the time to carefully package all of our [very heavy] furniture and bring it to the storage unit for us. I also constantly found more stuff for them to move and they were very happy to package them as we went. They even helped me remove some stuff from our walls which was definitely not part of the job description. This was definitely worth the money. Eduardo and Chris were very helpful and respectful the entire time. Highly recommend!!!!

Contract & TermsPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed June 6, 2024

I originally booked with a company called MakeSpace, which was then acquired by Clutter, because it promised a full-service experience for extra stuff we wanted to store—packing, pick-up, and junk hauling. The junk hauling part was not exactly as promised but for the past four years, the storage was fine. Since Clutter started increasing the monthly prices so much, I decided to end my contract and booked a self-storage unit much closer to our home. The process of ending our contract and arranging for a time and date to move units was seamless and easy; the guys who delivered and moved our stuff into our new unit, Anthony G, Arnold R, and Yoseph M, were friendly, prompt, and professional. I can recommend Clutter for the process; however, many won’t want to pay the monthly fees. (Our self-storage unit is less than half of what we were paying Clutter.)

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed June 1, 2024

If a moving experience can be wonderful ours was today! Our moving team was made up of six great guys - Donta, James, Ronell, Edwardo. Richard A., and Arnold. They were professional, courteous, and repeatedly went above and beyond to make our move as smooth as possible. They took care of several beds that required taking apart and reassembling. They helped with getting things placed just right at the new house. Came up with a creative way to get a chair into a room we never thought it would go into and saved my husband's plan for his office. And to top it all off, they made what could have been a stressful, crazy day a lot of fun! Using Clutter was my daughter and son-in-law's suggestion and I'm very glad we listened to them. Doing it all online was a different experience for this baby boomer, but Clutter had a good model and I'm happy to recommend it. Thanks again to our team!

Punctuality & SpeedStaffProcess

Reviewed May 31, 2024

I recently moved with the help of Luis, Levance, and Alfredo, and I couldn't be more satisfied. Luis's organizational skills ensured everything was packed securely. Levance handled the heaviest items with ease, showcasing his strength and resourcefulness. Alfredo's calm and friendly demeanor made the entire process stress-free. Their teamwork and communication were outstanding, making the move quick and efficient. They went above and beyond to ensure everything was smooth. I highly recommend Luis, Levance, and Alfredo for any moving needs. Their professionalism, efficiency, and positive attitudes made my move a truly positive experience. Thank you, gentlemen!

Verified purchase
      Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed May 15, 2024

10/10 experience. I’ve used Clutter for several years now to store individual items or boxes. This time I used them to move my stuff from a 2 bedroom apartment into storage as I plan to travel for about a year. The team was very professional and showed up on time, were very efficient with packing and moving and brought all the needed materials (boxes, tape, bubble wrap etc) for the big items and the fragile items. They packed all the rooms and loaded the truck in 2 hours and an hour later my stuff was in my storage unit. I was able to get air conditioning storage from Clutter for some more sensitive items like my TV. Would highly recommend and I’ll continue to use them for my moving/storage needs.

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed June 9, 2024

Jaylen M, Ron M, and Wondo W were AMAZING!! They moved our entire apartment carefully and quickly! All of our items arrived at our new apartment in great condition. All the guys were kind, friendly, and professional. Our job was estimated at 8 hours + and they completed it in under 6 hours. I’d love to use this exact same crew next time I move! 100% recommend and am so thankful for such a smooth moving day experience. Thank you!!!

Reviewed June 9, 2024

I’m new to Clutter and used their service for a small pick-up. The crew was professional and friendly. Big shout out to Christoper, Oscar, and Christian. Thanks again guys for your hard work, much appreciated!

Reviewed June 8, 2024

AMAZING!! Would def recommend! They came to my dorm, walked up multiple flights of stairs, bubble wrapped my items, and taped my boxes. Also super friendly and kind! I am definitely going to use them again.

Reviewed June 8, 2024

Teresa, Ron, and Oscar were amazing! They were so kind and thorough. I felt really confident with my things in their hands. They re-parked to get closer, wrapped my things with care. It was great to learn a little about them and I’ll definitely be back next year for another great year with Clutter.

Punctuality & SpeedStaffProcess

Reviewed June 7, 2024

Anthony, Gregory, and Ronell were amazing! Very convenient and easy and they made the process super quick and accessible. Thank you! I will definitely be using Clutter again in the future. Can’t recommend enough.

Clutter Company Information