4.63/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

From packing your belongings, storing them, and delivering your items back to you at a specific time, Clutter has your back. Schedule exactly what you need and when you need it done through their mobile app or over the phone. Clutter’s team will make sure this process is easy and stress-free!

You can find locations in the following areas: New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Delaware, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, Chicago, Bay Area, Sacramento, Seattle, and Portland. More locations coming soon!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Clutter is a storage company with 2 million square feet of secure warehouse facilities and more than 200 trucks. Storage isn't available nationwide, but Clutter customer service is excellent in the locations they service.

PROS

• Digital inventory
  • Protection plan available
  • Price match guarantee
  • Pick-up, delivery and packing included

CONS

• No in-person access
  • Not available nationwide

Clutter review

Clutter storage solutions provide month-to-month storage for your belongings. Clutter services include packing materials, packing help, pick up and delivery. What sets Clutter apart from other storage companies is their extensive photo inventory process. With this system, Clutter and their customers have both a visual inventory and itemized list of stored items. Since Clutter’s storage facilities are secured and closed to the public, you can’t visit your items in storage; however, you can have them delivered back to you at any time.

Clutter conducts extensive background checks and screenings on all employees, making their moving and storage specialists well-trained and thoroughly vetted. Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras. The Clutter storage company provides their Limited Security Warranty Policy to all customers, and further protection for items can be purchased for a fee.

Clutter storage solutions

Clutter services available include packing assistance, pickup, storage and delivery. Clutter customers can manage their items in storage, book pickups and returns, and schedule or reschedule orders through the Clutter website.

Clutter storage services
Before they store anything in one of their secure warehouse facilities, Clutter collects an online photo inventory, so they have an exact index and location of all your items. Clutter offers a variety of storage units, from the size of a small closet to custom accommodations for storing an entire business inventory or large estate.
  • Clutter storage locations: Chicago, Los Angeles, New Jersey, New York City, Orange County, San Diego, the Bay Area and Seattle.
Clutter pickup services
Clutter’s pickup service will transport items from clients’ homes to a Clutter storage warehouse. Items should be boxed and labeled in advance.
  • Prohibited items: Liquids of any kind, food or perishables, illegal or controlled substances, hazardous materials, living things, grand pianos, upright pianos, and pool tables are prohibited. For an entire list of prohibited items, refer to the Clutter Terms Of Service.
Clutter delivery services
Clutter transports items from their warehouse facilities back to clients’ homes upon request. Upon delivery, Clutter representatives place appliances or furniture in the area of your choosing one time at no additional cost.
  • Delivery service areas: New York City, Los Angeles, the Bay Area, Orange County, Inland Empire, Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Philadelphia and New Jersey.
Clutter packing services
Clutter packing help is a service that adequately prepares and packs all your items into boxes or storage containers. Clutter representatives provide packing materials — like moving blankets and shrink wrap — to ensure that your belongings are suitably packed for transportation and storage.

How does Clutter work?

As a full-service storage company, Clutter picks-up, stores then delivers items when needed. First-time pickups can be scheduled online or over the phone with a Clutter customer service representative. On the scheduled pickup day, a team of Clutter moving specialists arrives at your location.

Before packing, Clutter collects a digital photographic inventory of your belongings and assigns a unique barcode to each item. Then, Clutter transports the inventory to one of their secured storage facilities.

If you want to retrieve an item in the future, all you need to do is access your Clutter account and select which item you need. Clutter will then deliver the item back to you.

Clutter storage prices

Clutter prices depend significantly upon how many items need to be stored. To get a free quote for the cost of Clutter storage, fill out a brief questionnaire and provide your ZIP code, the size of storage unit you need, how you plan to move your belongings into storage, how long you plan to use the storage unit, and the date you need the storage unit. Review a variety of pickup time options, and if the Clutter price is acceptable, submit your email address.

Please note that Clutter charges a deposit for the first pickup. The first month of storage is charged after pickup, and then billing is automatic. If you ever need to update your billing information, you can easily log in to your Clutter account and update your default for automatic payments.

Clutter security and protection

Clutter automatically provides a Limited Security Warranty Policy that covers possessions up to $1.00 per pound. Additional $1,000 or $2,500 protection plans are available for an extra charge. Be aware that Clutter is only responsible for the items they pack and visually inspect.

38 Clutter Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 10, 2019

Clutter is an amazing company in every way! They arrived on time and within 45 minutes had my daughter’s things all packed up and on their truck to storage. When they quoted me over the phone, and by the way I filled out an application online and within 2 min of hitting send, someone called me right away, I thought this company was too good to be true. It wasn’t expensive and they helped me a great deal with all the heavy items that I wouldn’t have been able to do on my own. They promised and delivered everything they said they would. I am curious to see if I will get the same service when they deliver my daughter’s things to her new dorm. I have a good feeling they will!

Get expert buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I thought the packing up and moving process was too good to be true, and it sort of was... it was a bit arduous and packers were not skilled. I saw them drop a whole stack of my furniture from the truck lift, and cringed, but let it go. When the movers brought my stuff back, of course, a lot of stuff was broken. The good thing was, they were very good about reimbursing anything that broke at whatever the going cost was of the product. I got replies back from almost everything except the last item, but I figured I waited too long (almost 3 weeks after the move in before I found it was broken), and it was very hard to show by a photo at the lamp switch was jammed and couldn't be turned on. Fortunately not of my items were extremely expensive. For the price I paid, I don't think anyone could find a comparable service.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I have had two great experiences. First I had a show set that needed storage and they were prompt to pick up and help pack up the set. It's a real cost saver in terms of bodies needed, rental and storage costs. Storage costs are reasonable. Second I had them pack up my apartment and I wasn't sure how big a storage space I needed but they were honest and put me in a smaller space which was such a great rate. Plus I like the pictures that I can see of my stuff. I recommend to everyone!!

Original review: July 2, 2019

Genuinely the best service I've ever received anywhere. Lately I've been talking about how bad service has gotten... in restaurants, retail stores, everywhere. But Clutter not only met my high expectations, they exceeded them. I worked with three separate teams on three different occasions and each team was extremely polite, highly efficient, exceptionally organized and just absolutely as nice as could be. I've honestly never been more impressed with a service. They wrapped my items far better than I ever could. They were fast and conscientious.

When I had my items delivered, there was no damage whatsoever. And the amount of bubble wrap protecting every single item was beyond what I would have used myself. They were so careful taking furniture out and delivering it to my new home. No scratches, bumps or dings on walls. And even when I changed my mind and asked to move an item to a different room, they didn't grumble or roll their eyes. They said, "Of course, happy to!" I especially enjoyed having a couple females on the crews to show my daughter that girls can do anything guys can! I have referred Clutter many times and would trust them with anything. Thanks for making my pre-move and final move so easy and carefree!

Original review: July 2, 2019

Each experience with the Clutter team has always been positive. The drivers/movers are very kind. They take great care in packing and moving furniture as if it is their own. The Customer Service Team is very polite and helpful when calling in with questions/concerns. One Criticism: Since I am from NY and your Customer Service Team is in CA, it is not possible to speak to someone in Customer Service when I am expecting a delivery at 7am NY Time because it is only 4AM CA time. If there were some way to bridge that gap and make someone available in CA that would be helpful. Perhaps you can add instructions on the recording that says "If you are calling our office outside of our business hours, please call our dispatch department at the following telephone number". Just a suggestion. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

One star is overly generous. Clutter is not a legitimate business. Thanks to the team at Clutter I no longer have a mattress, a dresser, a television, a rug, and a bag of coats - over HALF the items I had in storage went "missing" (and all of the biggest/most valuable items- coincidence? I think not). I'm sorry, MISSING? Is it just me, or is the #1 responsibility of a storage company to HOLD ON to your items for you?

I'm genuinely sleeping on an air mattress in my brand new EMPTY apartment thanks to Clutter, and no one in customer service seems to acknowledge that as their problem. It's been a week since my requested delivery date went awry, and no one has even provided an update on the "investigation" that doesn't seem to be happening, despite numerous calls and emails from me. Can't decide whether Clutter is a company that operates based on laziness/disorganization or malice/SCAMMING, but either way, I strongly hope that anyone reading this makes a smarter decision than I did and goes elsewhere with their money. Meanwhile, Clutter, if you're reading this. THIS IS ACTUAL STEALING. GIVE ME MY STUFF BACK.

Hi Hannah,

We want to reach out and apologize for the issues you faced while storing with Clutter. This is not the experience we want customers to have, and it is not a reflection of our standards.

We see your case has been resolved, and those items have been returned. That said, if you have any outstanding issues, please give us a call at (800) 805-4023, and our Customer Care team would be able to look into this further.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

TLDR: DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY IN NEW YORK CITY! EVERY ITEM I STORED WITH THEM WAS DAMAGED OR LOST. I’m not sure where to even begin with the miserable experience I had after I contracted with Clutter to move and store my belongings. Both their execution of the move and customer service following the botched move were terrible. I hired Clutter to pick up, store for 1 month, and then deliver 5 simple items: a bed, mattress, desk, desk chair and night table. When they were supposed to deliver the items on a Monday morning this is what happened:

- Desk: Damaged in multiple places including large chips, scrapes, and scratches covering much of the surface
- Night table: Chipped with paint scratched off in multiple places
- Desk Chair: not delivered with no explanation

- Bed: When I first engaged with Clutter, I was told that they would disassemble and assemble my bed. The movers refused to assemble the bed stating a new company policy, which was changed in the one month from when I first hired them – without Clutter alerting me to the change. This led me to hire someone to assemble the bed, only to realize multiple pieces of it could not be delivered, so it could not be assembled.

Over the course of the following week, I received no information about the whereabouts of my belongings and only the offer of a partial refund. This is after speaking multiple times a day to customer service representatives including someone on the CEO’s team. They only said that I would receive an email update, which never came and has yet to come. Clutter was the least proactive and informative company I have ever dealt with.

Now, 6 days later, Clutter still has no idea the location of any of the missing furniture and has given me no information beyond wait and see. They have still only offered a partial refund even though they have lost and/or damaged thousands of dollars of furniture. There is still no timetable on when I will get the rest of my property. Bottomline, hire Clutter at your own risk.

Hi Lucas,

We apologize for the level of service you received from us here at Clutter. This is not indicative of our standards here at Clutter, and we want to make sure your case is fully resolved.

Reviewing your account, our Community Engagement specialist reached out to you back in August to resolve this. If there are still pending issues, please reach out to us at (800) 805-4023.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 28, 2019

The company is a fraud. For 3 months, they took from my bank the amounts that were absolutely not written in the contract. Added the amount for 3 people instead of 2. Did not return some of my things: 2 tables and 20 chairs. I advise you to run from this company of scammers. Instead of 1 time of arrival, they came 2 times. My things were stolen. Talked rudely, service very poor. I had to be very nervous and swear at them. I made them return my money what they were filming illegally. I advise GO AWAY FROM CLUTTER COMPANY.

Hi Liliya,

We apologize for the negative experience you have had with us. Reading your review, your experience is not indicative of the standards we have set here at Clutter. Customer satisfaction is very important to us, so we'd appreciate the opportunity to resolve any outstanding issues.

We tried to locate your account, but we didn't have anyone under your name or phone number. As next steps, please give us call at (800) 805-4023, and our Customer Care department will be able to assist you.

Thank you.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I needed to move and when doing research on moving companies, I found Clutter. The company had great reviews. So I contacted them, the team answered quickly and answered all my questions within 5 minutes. I was very impressed and continued to be impressed all the way to the date I moved out. Clutter and its team are professional and polite. They make the process so easy and fill every moment with sincere kindness and help. I love this company and want the very best for them as they continue to do for me. Thank you Clutter!

Original review: July 17, 2019

We used Clutter in 2018 for 2 simultaneous moves & storage... Everything was seamless from the initial contact through to the delivery of our items after being in storage. Everything was returned intact with no damage at all. Dealing with Clutter was the most pleasurable part of our entire move!

Clutter customer service

Most scheduling and rescheduling is completed through the Clutter website. If you have further logistical questions, you can call Clutter customer service number any day of the week, from Monday to Friday, 6:00–6:00 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 a.m–5:00 p.m., PT.

Clutter FAQ

Do I have to sign a contract to store with Clutter?
Yes. However, all Clutter storage agreements are month-to-month.
What items are prohibited at Clutter storage?
Clutter company policy prohibits certain items, like liquids, perishable food items, living creatures, hazardous materials, some types of pianos, pool tables and vehicles. A detailed list of Clutter prohibited items can be found on their Terms of Service.
Is Clutter responsible for packing delicate items and valuables?
Clutter can only ensure delicate or valuable items are packed safely with the additional Clutter Plus service. If you don’t have Clutter Plus, then it is your responsibility to pack your delicate belongings correctly.
Can Clutter store my belongings for a month or less?
All Clutter storage contracts are month-to-month. You can store items at a Clutter warehouse for less than a month, but Clutter will not prorate the cost.
Can Clutter dispose of or donate my unwanted items?
No, Clutter will not dispose of or donate unwanted items at this time.
Should I tip Clutter movers?
Only if you want to — Clutter moving specialists appreciate tips, but tipping is not required.
Can I visit my things in Clutter storage?
No, Clutter storage facilities are not open to the public. However, you can schedule the delivery of your items at any time.
What happens if I move outside of the Clutter service areas?
Clutter does not provide shipping services but can help to facilitate the relocation of clients’ belongings anywhere.
Does Clutter charge a late fee for overdue payments?
Yes, Clutter charges a 15% fee if a payment is more than 30 days late.
How much does Clutter storage cost?
Clutter storage rates vary by size and location, but the average Clutter storage cost is $150–$250 per month.
Does Clutter charge a deposit?
Yes, Clutter charges a deposit for first-time pickups. The specific amount will be in the confirmation email sent before your pickup date.

Do we recommend Clutter?

Yes, Clutter storage company is a smart choice for those who live in an area where their services are available. Professional moving and storage specialists take a digital inventory of all their clients’ belongings to eliminate confusion. Plus, Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras, so you know your most valuable or sentimental items are safe.

Clutter Company Information