3.2/5 (144 ratings)

About Clutter

From packing your belongings, storing them, and delivering your items back to you at a specific time, Clutter has your back. Schedule exactly what you need and when you need it done through their mobile app or over the phone. Clutter’s team will make sure this process is easy and stress-free!

Pros

• Digital inventory
  • Protection plan available
  • Price match guarantee
  • Pick-up, delivery and packing included

Cons

• No in-person access
  • Not available nationwide

Bottom Line

Clutter is a storage company with 2 million square feet of secure warehouse facilities and more than 200 trucks. Storage isn't available nationwide, but Clutter customer service is excellent in the locations they service.

About Clutter

Clutter storage solutions provide month-to-month storage for your belongings. Clutter services include packing materials, packing help, pick up and delivery. What sets Clutter apart from other storage companies is their extensive photo inventory process. With this system, Clutter and their customers have both a visual inventory and itemized list of stored items. Since Clutter’s storage facilities are secured and closed to the public, you can’t visit your items in storage; however, you can have them delivered back to you at any time.

Clutter conducts extensive background checks and screenings on all employees, making their moving and storage specialists well-trained and thoroughly vetted. Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras. The Clutter storage company provides their Limited Security Warranty Policy to all customers, and further protection for items can be purchased for a fee.

Clutter storage solutions

Clutter services available include packing assistance, pickup, storage and delivery. Clutter customers can manage their items in storage, book pickups and returns, and schedule or reschedule orders through the Clutter website.

Clutter storage services
Before they store anything in one of their secure warehouse facilities, Clutter collects an online photo inventory, so they have an exact index and location of all your items. Clutter offers a variety of storage units, from the size of a small closet to custom accommodations for storing an entire business inventory or large estate.
  • Clutter storage locations: Chicago, Los Angeles, New Jersey, New York City, Orange County, San Diego, the Bay Area and Seattle.
Clutter pickup services
Clutter’s pickup service will transport items from clients’ homes to a Clutter storage warehouse. Items should be boxed and labeled in advance.
  • Prohibited items: Liquids of any kind, food or perishables, illegal or controlled substances, hazardous materials, living things, grand pianos, upright pianos, and pool tables are prohibited. For an entire list of prohibited items, refer to the Clutter Terms Of Service.
Clutter delivery services
Clutter transports items from their warehouse facilities back to clients’ homes upon request. Upon delivery, Clutter representatives place appliances or furniture in the area of your choosing one time at no additional cost.
  • Delivery service areas: New York City, Los Angeles, the Bay Area, Orange County, Inland Empire, Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Philadelphia and New Jersey.
Clutter packing services
Clutter packing help is a service that adequately prepares and packs all your items into boxes or storage containers. Clutter representatives provide packing materials — like moving blankets and shrink wrap — to ensure that your belongings are suitably packed for transportation and storage.

How does Clutter work?

As a full-service storage company, Clutter picks-up, stores then delivers items when needed. First-time pickups can be scheduled online or over the phone with a Clutter customer service representative. On the scheduled pickup day, a team of Clutter moving specialists arrives at your location.

Before packing, Clutter collects a digital photographic inventory of your belongings and assigns a unique barcode to each item. Then, Clutter transports the inventory to one of their secured storage facilities.

If you want to retrieve an item in the future, all you need to do is access your Clutter account and select which item you need. Clutter will then deliver the item back to you.

Clutter storage prices

Clutter prices depend significantly upon how many items need to be stored. To get a free quote for the cost of Clutter storage, fill out a brief questionnaire and provide your ZIP code, the size of storage unit you need, how you plan to move your belongings into storage, how long you plan to use the storage unit, and the date you need the storage unit. Review a variety of pickup time options, and if the Clutter price is acceptable, submit your email address.

Please note that Clutter charges a deposit for the first pickup. The first month of storage is charged after pickup, and then billing is automatic. If you ever need to update your billing information, you can easily log in to your Clutter account and update your default for automatic payments.

Clutter security and protection

Clutter automatically provides a Limited Security Warranty Policy that covers possessions up to $1.00 per pound. Additional $1,000 or $2,500 protection plans are available for an extra charge. Be aware that Clutter is only responsible for the items they pack and visually inspect.

Clutter customer service

Most scheduling and rescheduling is completed through the Clutter website. If you have further logistical questions, you can call Clutter customer service number any day of the week, from Monday to Friday, 6:00–6:00 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 a.m–5:00 p.m., PT.

Clutter FAQ

Do I have to sign a contract to store with Clutter?
Yes. However, all Clutter storage agreements are month-to-month.
What items are prohibited at Clutter storage?
Clutter company policy prohibits certain items, like liquids, perishable food items, living creatures, hazardous materials, some types of pianos, pool tables and vehicles. A detailed list of Clutter prohibited items can be found on their Terms of Service.
Is Clutter responsible for packing delicate items and valuables?
Clutter can only ensure delicate or valuable items are packed safely with the additional Clutter Plus service. If you don’t have Clutter Plus, then it is your responsibility to pack your delicate belongings correctly.
Can Clutter store my belongings for a month or less?
All Clutter storage contracts are month-to-month. You can store items at a Clutter warehouse for less than a month, but Clutter will not prorate the cost.
Can Clutter dispose of or donate my unwanted items?
No, Clutter will not dispose of or donate unwanted items at this time.
Should I tip Clutter movers?
Only if you want to — Clutter moving specialists appreciate tips, but tipping is not required.
Can I visit my things in Clutter storage?
No, Clutter storage facilities are not open to the public. However, you can schedule the delivery of your items at any time.
What happens if I move outside of the Clutter service areas?
Clutter does not provide shipping services but can help to facilitate the relocation of clients’ belongings anywhere.
Does Clutter charge a late fee for overdue payments?
Yes, Clutter charges a 15% fee if a payment is more than 30 days late.
How much does Clutter storage cost?
Clutter storage rates vary by size and location, but the average Clutter storage cost is $150–$250 per month.
Does Clutter charge a deposit?
Yes, Clutter charges a deposit for first-time pickups. The specific amount will be in the confirmation email sent before your pickup date.

Do we recommend Clutter?

Yes, Clutter storage company is a smart choice for those who live in an area where their services are available. Professional moving and storage specialists take a digital inventory of all their clients’ belongings to eliminate confusion. Plus, Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras, so you know your most valuable or sentimental items are safe.

Clutter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

The app did not save my new number. I got charged 100 fee And had rescheduled my pick up. I try to Customer service but they could not help me. Their prices for coming and picking up things are ridiculous.

Hi Angela,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the experience that you described. Per our terms of service, a $100 fee is assessed for situations where an appointment is canceled within 48 hours of the appointment start time, or in your case, onsite.

It sounds like there are some extenuating circumstances that we would like to investigate further. We have sent an email to try and help work on this with you.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I first changed to Clutter about three years ago, when they offered free pickups and deliveries. I had been using MakeSpace, which had changed their fees for pickups and deliveries to outrageous amounts. But a year later, Clutter started charging similarly outrageous amounts for pickups and deliveries. During a move, several floor lamps "disappeared." I filed a claim and they said that since the lamps hadn't been logged, they weren't responsible, and denied the claim. Latest experience: I asked them to get a desktop computer out of storage and ship it for me. They said they didn't have a box that would would fit it and refused to deal with it. Customer Service is almost non-existent, and if you can get through to them at all, they are arrogant and rude. Definitely an outfit to avoid.

Randall,

A member of our Trust & Safety team has reached out with a potential resolution via email yesterday. This email also outlined the reasoning behind the pricing structure that took effect after you were already a loyal customer of Clutter. While we cannot change the pricing structure for our customers as a whole, we are willing to work with you on the denial of your lamps. Please refer to this email communication with the offer and explanations for your list of concerns.

We appreciate you bringing all of these issues to our attention and hope that you find this resolution satisfactory.

The Clutter Team

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Nov. 23, 2021

The company reached out to me and we found a fair and reasonable solution!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

They lost several thousands of dollars worth of items, and when I attempted to file a claim, they didn't give me fair value for the items. Instead, they said that I'd get "$1/lb" which is just absolutely absurd, and infuriating. Over the two years that I had things stored with them, they lost a total of 10+ items, which is just absolutely unacceptable. When I was trying to close my account and I asked them to donate the items that I no longer wanted, they make you arrange the details, rather than simply doing it on your behalf. Clearly, their legal team have taken over the company, at the expense of customer service. Don't store anything with this company if you care about ever getting it back.

Hello Joshua,

We'd first like to offer our apologies for the experience you had while using our services.

We were able to successfully dispose of the remaining items in storage for you per your request. Your claims were evaluated based on the Protection Plan you have on your account. However, we do understand you were unhappy with your claim offer. A member of our Trust and Safety team will be reaching out to you shortly to discuss this matter further.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

DO NOT USE CLUTTER. I have submitted claims, and have more to complete (movers broke unique pottery and scratched art because they didn't use bubble paper on all framed pieces). This morning, I submitted a claim for a wood framed/vintage mirror which was damaged (chipped) during the move, and included Uber receipts for my ride there and back from the place which replaced my mirror for me. Clutter would not reimburse me, which is ridiculous - it was part of the process of me fixing the mirror. It was too large and cumbersome to bring on the subway, and I live in NYC. The disclaimers they say I received only covers damaged items. So if you use Clutter, and they break or damage a piece of furniture, let's say it's heavy or cumbersome (they also broke my bed frame, and it arrived with missing pieces), they will not pay for anything but the repair (which in their mind does not include transport).

The movers were very careless with my things. They also showed up to both my move out and move into a new building without masks, though Clutter will text you to wear yours. They sent two moving trucks for the first part of my move, instead of one. One of the movers got into a fight with my super as my super asked him to park off the curb and not block the entrance to my building. Bed frame, art, pottery and a mirror were all damaged. I could go on. It was not a good experience working with Clutter at all.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

At first, I was impressed by Clutter and their “tech company” approach to moving and storage. But when my handmade, solid wood bed frame came back broken, I felt differently. Their customer service spent a lot of time doing textbook customer service, telling me they understand my frustration, but how far does that get anyone? Avoid this company.

Ian,

We’re truly sorry to hear about your experience, and we apologize for the inconvenience at this time. Our goal is to safely transport and store your items. You are more than welcomed to file a claim for this to be reviewed by our Trust and Safety team.

Please feel free to reach out to us via your message portal through your account. We’d love to investigate this further and see how we can make your Clutter experience a better one.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

I used Clutter for moving and storage. It seemed like the most convenient option since they could take care of both my moving and storage needs… or so I thought. While the moving part went smoothly for the most part (took a couple of hours longer than they estimated), when it came time to get some of my things, it’s turned into a nightmare.

I moved far outside their coverage area but fully expected to access some of my things when I drove back up. Long story short, there is no convenient way to access my items. They do not allow their customers anywhere near their warehouse (sketchy!). Their policy makes absolutely no sense since they will allow movers of my choosing to pick them up at the warehouse. They also provide an option to have something shipped to a location but there’s a catch… there is a cost (per item!) and if they’re shipping outside their service area, they’ll use FedEx, which is cost prohibitive for anything heavy or oversized (like a wardrobe box).

They never disclosed how difficult it would be to access my stuff, nor did they mention there would be such a high cost to retrieve them. It’s like they’re double dipping since they already get you for a monthly fee. It’s not hyperbole to say what they’re doing is extortion; they not only charge you a monthly fee to hold your stuff, but they will hold it hostage unless you pay them exorbitant fees to get your stuff back. Stay away from this company. It’s not worth the hassle and expense. Use a good moving company and a real storage facility that has customer friendly policies (ie, freely access your things at no additional cost).

Hello Sonny,

We're very sorry to hear that Clutter did not meet up to your expectations. We understand that the process has not been accomodating to you at this time. Our Smart Storage is a unique service that allows our movers to do all the work for our customers. All details outlining our services and fees are found in the Release Agreement you've signed with us.

We were unable to locate your account based on your profile name. Please send us a message through your account portal requesting to speak to our Trust and Safety department to discuss this further.

We appreciate you voicing your concerns, and we hope to hear from you soon.

Warm regards,

The Clutter Team

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I hired Clutter to store my home furniture for a few months while I was traveling and between permanent residences. The packing was a bit of overkill with shrink wrap, bubble wrap and boxing of every little thing. I appreciated that they were taking good care of my items, but felt like it was unnecessarily extending the time (charge by the hours). Upon moving back in, I was told that their policy was to not dispose of any of the packing materials that were used. I ended up with a whole truckload of bubble wrap, tape and boxes. Despite their cautiousness, many of my boxes were crushed and mutilated upon delivery and several glass items were broken inside.

The more frustrating point is that they broke the legs off my couch while moving out and could not replace them when moving back in. The movers told me the legs were useless and to file a claim. The claims department claimed that the legs could be re-attached even though their own people disagreed and could not re-attach. Now I have a useless couch and have to go spend more than the move-out, move-in and 2 months of storage combined just to get a couch that I can sit on. Completely frustrating experience. Do not recommend.

Travis,

We’re truly sorry to hear that your experience with Clutter did not meet up to your expectations. Our goal is to provide hassle-free service to our customers, and we apologize that this was not the case. We were unable to locate your account solely with the information on this review.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I had to move out of my office during Covid so I put my stuff in storage with Clutter. They had the best rates of anyone around. 8 months in they raised the storage rate 20%. I called to complain and they agreed to reduce it so it was only raised 10% but when I asked if I could lock in the new rate for at least a year they said no, they cannot tell me when the rate would be raised again. Seems like a scam. They get you in with low rates and then once your stuff is in storage they take the liberty of raising the rates as frequently as they would like. If they raise it again within the year I will probably move my stuff to a different facility.

Hello Elle,

We'd first like to offer our apologies for the experience. Rate adjustments are standard practice in our industry. However, we notify our customers 30 days before any rate adjustments take place. We have programs in place to apply discounts to rate adjustments. We're sorry to hear you are unsatisfied with our services. We appreciate you voicing your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I am beyond distraught and heartbroken. All of my personal items have been auctioned off despite me trying to pay off balance. All important documents and items lost. I was a customer since 2018. I fell behind due to Covid. I updated them on my status. I slowly got back on my feet with stable hours and was able to make more payments. None of that matter. My bal got as high an $2000 but, I was able to knock it down to 966.00. None of that matter to these folks. Kept giving me the scripted response. Then this morning I get an billing invoice that there was a $50 payment auction revenue on my account.

All of my family photos, documents, sentimental items gone. These items had value to me. All of my living relatives are no longer alive. I am beyond distraught. I had been a customer since 2018 and they did nothing to try to help me. Aug/Sept. they chose to do nothing. I was someone who wanted to pay. Other major companies work with their customers especially during Covid. But, not this company.

Hello Theresa,

We understand you're not happy with the current circumstances. We've made multiple attempts to work with you to avoid having your items auctioned. We do our best to work with our customers to avoid auctions by all means. Unfortunately, your contract with Clutter was broken due to the nonpayment of your storage space. We appreciate you voicing your concerns. I hope this finds you well.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

Our move with Clutter took place on Thursday, August 27, 2021. I’ve taken a few weeks to put together this review because it’s been so disheartening to open boxes that were packed by our Clutter movers to find countless broken belongings. I originally booked Clutter because they seemed like a trustworthy national company who would have trained employees and organized processes in place. We only used Clutter for a 4-block move and not for storage. When I told a friend about what has happened, she asked if Clutter are eviction movers — they were completely careless and had no rhyme or reason to their moving process.

We did a video walk-through with the Clutter team a few days before the move to show them the furniture and items that needed to be packed. They quoted us 4 hours of work with 2 movers for our 1-bedroom and 1-office apartment. It ended up taking over 8 hours with 4 movers. Like with many other reviewers, the original estimate was way off.

BROKEN ITEMS

Towards the end of the move, we could hear our items being dropped and smashed in the stairwell as they made their way up the flight of stairs to our new apartment. I watched them pull the truck forward on the street while items like a tall glass mirror were still leaning against the back. These crashed to the street. The movers didn’t inform us of any of this. I witnessed it from my window and found broken pieces of my things in the apartment hallway after they left.

We asked the movers specifically to be extra careful with our 65” TV and it was poorly wrapped and handled. One bottom corner of the screen was completely bent and cracked beyond repair. The TV no longer turns on. Many ceramic and glass pieces were placed loose into boxes, with little to no protection. We asked them to wrap vanity drawers in blankets and move them as-is. Instead, they emptied the drawers into trash bags. Precious items such as earrings, bracelets, and ceramic jewelry boxes were breaking through the plastic bags.

UNSATISFACTORY RESOLUTION

After the long day of moving they didn’t even finish the job! We had to go back to our old apartment late at night to continue packing forgotten cupboards and things that were inexplicably left behind like alarm clocks, lamps, etc. and pay for our own transport to the new place. In addition to all that, we tipped all our movers in cash because we learned that Clutter takes a cut of the tips given through their site.

The movers didn’t label ANY boxes. We were stuck in our first night in our new home with zero idea what was anywhere. Weeks later, hardware for re-assembling some of our furniture pieces and the cords and cables for important tech are still missing. And to top it all off, our super at the old apartment texted us to let us know that the movers broke the glass front door of the building clean off the hinges. When we asked them about it they said they knew nothing about this. Like others, we filed claims for what we could and were offered their base insurance of $1/pound. $75 for a broken 75-pound, $2500 TV. Please for the love of God do not move with Clutter. I will tell anyone who will listen to AVOID at all costs.

Amanda,

We are so disheartened to hear that you had multiple items damaged upon return. This is definitely the opposite of what we aim for on each appointment. We did some digging and were unable to find an account with solely the information on this review. If you could please file a claim on the customer portal and get in touch with us via email at Claims@Clutter.com, we’d love to investigate this further and see what is eligible for compensation. We look forward to hearing from you soon so we can work to reach a resolution.

Clutter Company Information