3.4/5 (392 ratings)
Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About Clutter

Clutter uses its proprietary, end-to-end technology to offer convenient moving and storage services, including a Smart Storage option where it handles depositing and withdrawing your items for you. Clutter also focuses on your digital experience, allowing you to schedule services, check your storage inventory and manage your move online. However, it only operates in parts of California, New Jersey, New York and Washington, and available services vary by market.

Pros

• Smart Storage with pickup and delivery
  • Month-to-month storage available
  • Discounts for longer commitments
  • Optional packing service

Cons

• Not available everywhere
  • Smart Storage has extra fees

Bottom Line

Clutter focuses on full-service convenience when it comes to moving and storage, but you can also do some of the work yourself. However, service areas are limited, and storage pickups and deliveries cost extra.

About Clutter

Clutter storage solutions provide month-to-month storage for your belongings. Clutter services include packing materials, packing help, pick up and delivery. What sets Clutter apart from other storage companies is their extensive photo inventory process. With this system, Clutter and their customers have both a visual inventory and itemized list of stored items. Since Clutter’s storage facilities are secured and closed to the public, you can’t visit your items in storage; however, you can have them delivered back to you at any time.

Clutter conducts extensive background checks and screenings on all employees, making their moving and storage specialists well-trained and thoroughly vetted. Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras. The Clutter storage company provides their Limited Security Warranty Policy to all customers, and further protection for items can be purchased for a fee.

Clutter storage solutions

Clutter services available include packing assistance, pickup, storage and delivery. Clutter customers can manage their items in storage, book pickups and returns, and schedule or reschedule orders through the Clutter website.

Clutter storage services
Before they store anything in one of their secure warehouse facilities, Clutter collects an online photo inventory, so they have an exact index and location of all your items. Clutter offers a variety of storage units, from the size of a small closet to custom accommodations for storing an entire business inventory or large estate.
  • Clutter storage locations: Chicago, Los Angeles, New Jersey, New York City, Orange County, San Diego, the Bay Area and Seattle.
Clutter pickup services
Clutter’s pickup service will transport items from clients’ homes to a Clutter storage warehouse. Items should be boxed and labeled in advance.
  • Prohibited items: Liquids of any kind, food or perishables, illegal or controlled substances, hazardous materials, living things, grand pianos, upright pianos, and pool tables are prohibited. For an entire list of prohibited items, refer to the Clutter Terms Of Service.
Clutter delivery services
Clutter transports items from their warehouse facilities back to clients’ homes upon request. Upon delivery, Clutter representatives place appliances or furniture in the area of your choosing one time at no additional cost.
  • Delivery service areas: New York City, Los Angeles, the Bay Area, Orange County, Inland Empire, Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Philadelphia and New Jersey.
Clutter packing services
Clutter packing help is a service that adequately prepares and packs all your items into boxes or storage containers. Clutter representatives provide packing materials — like moving blankets and shrink wrap — to ensure that your belongings are suitably packed for transportation and storage.

How does Clutter work?

As a full-service storage company, Clutter picks-up, stores then delivers items when needed. First-time pickups can be scheduled online or over the phone with a Clutter customer service representative. On the scheduled pickup day, a team of Clutter moving specialists arrives at your location.

Before packing, Clutter collects a digital photographic inventory of your belongings and assigns a unique barcode to each item. Then, Clutter transports the inventory to one of their secured storage facilities.

If you want to retrieve an item in the future, all you need to do is access your Clutter account and select which item you need. Clutter will then deliver the item back to you.

Clutter storage prices

Clutter prices depend significantly upon how many items need to be stored. To get a free quote for the cost of Clutter storage, fill out a brief questionnaire and provide your ZIP code, the size of storage unit you need, how you plan to move your belongings into storage, how long you plan to use the storage unit, and the date you need the storage unit. Review a variety of pickup time options, and if the Clutter price is acceptable, submit your email address.

Please note that Clutter charges a deposit for the first pickup. The first month of storage is charged after pickup, and then billing is automatic. If you ever need to update your billing information, you can easily log in to your Clutter account and update your default for automatic payments.

Clutter security and protection

Clutter automatically provides a Limited Security Warranty Policy that covers possessions up to $1.00 per pound. Additional $1,000 or $2,500 protection plans are available for an extra charge. Be aware that Clutter is only responsible for the items they pack and visually inspect.

Clutter customer service

Most scheduling and rescheduling is completed through the Clutter website. If you have further logistical questions, you can call Clutter customer service number any day of the week, from Monday to Friday, 6:00–6:00 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 a.m–5:00 p.m., PT.

Clutter FAQ

Do I have to sign a contract to store with Clutter?
Yes. However, all Clutter storage agreements are month-to-month.
What items are prohibited at Clutter storage?
Clutter company policy prohibits certain items, like liquids, perishable food items, living creatures, hazardous materials, some types of pianos, pool tables and vehicles. A detailed list of Clutter prohibited items can be found on their Terms of Service.
Is Clutter responsible for packing delicate items and valuables?
Clutter can only ensure delicate or valuable items are packed safely with the additional Clutter Plus service. If you don’t have Clutter Plus, then it is your responsibility to pack your delicate belongings correctly.
Can Clutter store my belongings for a month or less?
All Clutter storage contracts are month-to-month. You can store items at a Clutter warehouse for less than a month, but Clutter will not prorate the cost.
Can Clutter dispose of or donate my unwanted items?
No, Clutter will not dispose of or donate unwanted items at this time.
Should I tip Clutter movers?
Only if you want to — Clutter moving specialists appreciate tips, but tipping is not required.
Can I visit my things in Clutter storage?
No, Clutter storage facilities are not open to the public. However, you can schedule the delivery of your items at any time.
What happens if I move outside of the Clutter service areas?
Clutter does not provide shipping services but can help to facilitate the relocation of clients’ belongings anywhere.
Does Clutter charge a late fee for overdue payments?
Yes, Clutter charges a 15% fee if a payment is more than 30 days late.
How much does Clutter storage cost?
Clutter storage rates vary by size and location, but the average Clutter storage cost is $150–$250 per month.
Does Clutter charge a deposit?
Yes, Clutter charges a deposit for first-time pickups. The specific amount will be in the confirmation email sent before your pickup date.

Do we recommend Clutter?

Yes, Clutter storage company is a smart choice for those who live in an area where their services are available. Professional moving and storage specialists take a digital inventory of all their clients’ belongings to eliminate confusion. Plus, Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras, so you know your most valuable or sentimental items are safe.

Clutter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

I spent thousands storing my belongings with them over multiple years and when I received my items back EVERY single piece of furniture was destroyed. Not damaged, destroyed. Chair legs snapped, cabinets smashed and my couch was so moldy that it had to be thrown away because of the smell. The damage is well in excess of $10,00 however the team only offered me $700 in damages which isn't just insulting its illegal. I was never offered the option for additional insurance like many other people.

I'm now heading into the weekend with no furniture so am required to rent some in the meantime whilst this issue is resolved. I'll be sure to add this expense as part of our ongoing dispute. What's worse is that their team said that movers were INTENTIONALLY damaging items when they heard that MakeSpace was being acquired by Clutter. Please feel free to reach out to me for any specifics. If the matter isn't resolved in the next few days I'll be filing a class action lawsuit.

Hi Alex,

We apologize for the level of service that you have received while storing with us. We take pride in carefully storing our customers' items, and any experience that does not demonstrate such care is below the standards we have set as a company. As a result, our Trust & Safety Team has reached out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution. We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner.

The Clutter Team

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

We closed our account with Clutter and had all our stored items delivered yesterday. Two tables were damaged beyond repair. Not with scratches or a dent that you might expect with moving and storage. Destroyed. They were either run over with a fork lift or something similar, or dropped from a real height for this kind of damage. One was my wife's Grandmother's heavy well made table, and the other a large dining table that was a wedding gift to us. These were not light or easily breakable. Just a total lack of any care at all.

If you have belongings with Clutter - especially if you were with MakeSpace previously, I would encourage you to ask to see your belongings. Unfortunately there is a very good chance that things are lost or damaged. They are still searching for the top of our dining table which they currently cannot locate. And they delivered a desk top that did not belong to us. We are just starting the claim process with them now. I do not expect that it will go very well. But let's see.

Hello Peter,

We are incredibly sorry to hear that some of your items were damaged upon return. We are committed to making this situation right as this does not meet the standards we set as a Company. We see you've been in touch with a member of our Trust & Safety team who will assist you with the claims process. Thank you for being a customer. Sincerely, The Clutter Team

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

They are rip off, I would definitely avoid you at any cost and ask everyone I know to stay away from doing business with clutter.com. Their customer service, prices and quality of movers are only good at the time of pick up but after they have our storage they start jacking up the price every couple of months to rip off their customer since they already know that they are stuck with them. I had my stuff with them for almost 3 years and they kept raising the price every few months and when it was time to deliver, the charges for delivery/labor was more than double compare to pick up. Now it all makes sense how they scam their customers by making them sign up at low cost and then ripping them off because they are stuck with them. Very disappointing, All I can say is shame on you clutter.com. Anyone who is reading please stay far from them.

Hello Mukarram,

We apologize for the level of service that you have received while storing with us. While the potential for service fee changes is something all customers agree to by using our service, we understand the frustration this may cause. Our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution. We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner. Thank you The Clutter Team

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

I've stored items with Clutter for over a year, the initial experience was pleasant (this is how they get you!). It has been a nightmare since then. They agreed and confirmed my storage size (10' x 10') which was $364/month, after checking in and packing up all my items. Then I got a charge a few days later for $540 and called them out of confusion and they said they automatically upgraded my storage because my 10 x 10 storage was fully after I had already confirmed at the end of my appoint that it was not.

I tried to fight it and they didn't help at all. Then I wanted to remove some of my items from storage and I get a notification saying my TV will be delayed. So I have to file a claim to get someone to communicate with me about what is happening and when I finally did get a response, they said the TV has been damaged and they can only offer me $1/lb which came us to $39. I had a 75 inch Samsung Smart TV that I paid $1300, I can't believe how negligent and inconsiderate Clutter and their representatives have been. This has been the worse experience ever and I would never do business with clutter again and will be telling EVERYONE about their horrible service.

Hi Briana,

We sincerely apologize that an item of yours was involved in a claim. When booking the first appointment, all customers are given the option to purchase one of our premium Protection Plans. With that said Clutter is dedicated to resolving all customer issues and so a member of our Trust & Safety team will be reaching out for assistance. Thank you, The Clutter Team

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

They somehow managed to lose our 10 foot leather couch along with 15 other items that we had in storage which came to a value of $4,000. We then had to file a claim on their website, and they came back with an offer for $76 for all of our "lost" items, which is absolutely ridiculous. Hands down the worst company I have ever worked with and if you are thinking about trusting them with your items please look somewhere else.

Hi Austin,

The Clutter Team

Original review: Dec. 19, 2022

After "reviewing" my claim (which I submitted multiple times), they denied they lost anything and will not reimburse for any damages. Keep in mind I purchased protection up to $1,000. Do not use Clutter! Save your money and sanity and go elsewhere!

Hi Conrad,

We're sorry for this negative experience with Clutter. I see we have already had a specialist reach out to you, please work with them towards a resolution for this issue!

Sincerely,

the Clutter team

Original review: Dec. 17, 2022

The movers were polite and nice but they chipped my large round Saarinen dining table in three places and gave me $150 for damaging a table that would be $11,000 to replace. Later when I was trying to slide it across the floor, I discovered they had not reattached the heavy marble top to the base. I was lucky that it did not crush my foot.

Clutter response

Hi Kaila, We truly apologize for the negative experience you’ve had, and we’d like to connect with you to try and resolve this issue for you. We were unable to locate your account based on your information here, so please send us a message through your account portal to get in touch with the Trust & Safety Team. Sincerely, The Clutter Team

Original review: Dec. 14, 2022

Clutter is by far the worst moving company I have ever interacted with, hands down. I have moved many times, and Clutter takes the cake as #1 worst mover. First, they never told me that they do NOT ship items in storage outside of the San Francisco area. I had to have another moving company come to their storage unit, pick up my stuff, and ship it again. Very costly, very misleading!

Second, they lost two of my boxes (with all of my bedding and pillows), and completely shattered my TV screen. I called them multiple times and emailed with Kendall on their Trust & Safety team. They would not hear my requests and denied my claims multiple times. They will not even hear my side, nor review my case. Instead, they just deny my claims, even though I purchased $1,000 worth of moving insurance from them before our move. TLDR: DO NOT USE CLUTTER! Save your money, your time, and your sanity and use another moving company.

Clutter response

Hi Conrad, We apologize for the level of service that you have received while storing with us. We take pride in carefully storing our customers' items, and any experience that does not demonstrate such care is below our company's standards. We see that you have active correspondence with our Trust & Safety team. While we cannot share details of your claim for privacy reasons, our team did conduct a thorough review and notified you of the decision. Our Trust team will be in contact with you for further assistance. Thank you, The Clutter Team

Original review: Dec. 14, 2022

This company will do whatever it takes to keep you in an upgrade that you didn't ask for. They even record things that didn't make it on the truck. When I called to let them know, they claimed that they calculated the space without the items!!!! Even though they are listed on the account!! Then they want to schedule a very pricey appointment to get rid of a few items; 150 a month turns into 260 a month, plus pricey appointments. Watch out. Don't work with them. MakeSpace is better.

Clutter response

Hi Sara, We truly apologize for the negative experience you’ve had, and we’d like to connect with you to try and resolve this issue for you. We were unable to locate your account based on your information here, so please send us a message through your account portal to get in touch with the Trust & Safety Team. Sincerely, The Clutter Team

Original review: Dec. 13, 2022

Stored furniture with Clutter for nearly two years. One of those items was a king mattress. I paid Clutter to add a mattress cover for added protection while in storage. When the mattress was returned, the cover was torn and the mattress was heavily stained/soiled and had to be tossed out. Clutter offered me $210 for my claim and effectively said "tough luck, should have paid for insurance". If you value your belongings and/or generally expect a company to take responsibility for blatant negligence, I'd recommend going with a legitimate storage service.

Clutter response

Hi Taylor, We apologize for the level of service that you have received while storing with us. We take pride in carefully storing our customers' items, and any experience that does not demonstrate such care is below the standards we have set as a company. As a result, our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution. We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner. Thank you The Clutter Team

Clutter Company Information