3.6/5 (135 ratings)

About Clutter

From packing your belongings, storing them, and delivering your items back to you at a specific time, Clutter has your back. Schedule exactly what you need and when you need it done through their mobile app or over the phone. Clutter’s team will make sure this process is easy and stress-free!

Pros

• Digital inventory
  • Protection plan available
  • Price match guarantee
  • Pick-up, delivery and packing included

Cons

• No in-person access
  • Not available nationwide

Bottom Line

Clutter is a storage company with 2 million square feet of secure warehouse facilities and more than 200 trucks. Storage isn't available nationwide, but Clutter customer service is excellent in the locations they service.

About Clutter

Clutter storage solutions provide month-to-month storage for your belongings. Clutter services include packing materials, packing help, pick up and delivery. What sets Clutter apart from other storage companies is their extensive photo inventory process. With this system, Clutter and their customers have both a visual inventory and itemized list of stored items. Since Clutter’s storage facilities are secured and closed to the public, you can’t visit your items in storage; however, you can have them delivered back to you at any time.

Clutter conducts extensive background checks and screenings on all employees, making their moving and storage specialists well-trained and thoroughly vetted. Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras. The Clutter storage company provides their Limited Security Warranty Policy to all customers, and further protection for items can be purchased for a fee.

Clutter storage solutions

Clutter services available include packing assistance, pickup, storage and delivery. Clutter customers can manage their items in storage, book pickups and returns, and schedule or reschedule orders through the Clutter website.

Clutter storage services
Before they store anything in one of their secure warehouse facilities, Clutter collects an online photo inventory, so they have an exact index and location of all your items. Clutter offers a variety of storage units, from the size of a small closet to custom accommodations for storing an entire business inventory or large estate.
  • Clutter storage locations: Chicago, Los Angeles, New Jersey, New York City, Orange County, San Diego, the Bay Area and Seattle.
Clutter pickup services
Clutter’s pickup service will transport items from clients’ homes to a Clutter storage warehouse. Items should be boxed and labeled in advance.
  • Prohibited items: Liquids of any kind, food or perishables, illegal or controlled substances, hazardous materials, living things, grand pianos, upright pianos, and pool tables are prohibited. For an entire list of prohibited items, refer to the Clutter Terms Of Service.
Clutter delivery services
Clutter transports items from their warehouse facilities back to clients’ homes upon request. Upon delivery, Clutter representatives place appliances or furniture in the area of your choosing one time at no additional cost.
  • Delivery service areas: New York City, Los Angeles, the Bay Area, Orange County, Inland Empire, Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Philadelphia and New Jersey.
Clutter packing services
Clutter packing help is a service that adequately prepares and packs all your items into boxes or storage containers. Clutter representatives provide packing materials — like moving blankets and shrink wrap — to ensure that your belongings are suitably packed for transportation and storage.

How does Clutter work?

As a full-service storage company, Clutter picks-up, stores then delivers items when needed. First-time pickups can be scheduled online or over the phone with a Clutter customer service representative. On the scheduled pickup day, a team of Clutter moving specialists arrives at your location.

Before packing, Clutter collects a digital photographic inventory of your belongings and assigns a unique barcode to each item. Then, Clutter transports the inventory to one of their secured storage facilities.

If you want to retrieve an item in the future, all you need to do is access your Clutter account and select which item you need. Clutter will then deliver the item back to you.

Clutter storage prices

Clutter prices depend significantly upon how many items need to be stored. To get a free quote for the cost of Clutter storage, fill out a brief questionnaire and provide your ZIP code, the size of storage unit you need, how you plan to move your belongings into storage, how long you plan to use the storage unit, and the date you need the storage unit. Review a variety of pickup time options, and if the Clutter price is acceptable, submit your email address.

Please note that Clutter charges a deposit for the first pickup. The first month of storage is charged after pickup, and then billing is automatic. If you ever need to update your billing information, you can easily log in to your Clutter account and update your default for automatic payments.

Clutter security and protection

Clutter automatically provides a Limited Security Warranty Policy that covers possessions up to $1.00 per pound. Additional $1,000 or $2,500 protection plans are available for an extra charge. Be aware that Clutter is only responsible for the items they pack and visually inspect.

Clutter customer service

Most scheduling and rescheduling is completed through the Clutter website. If you have further logistical questions, you can call Clutter customer service number any day of the week, from Monday to Friday, 6:00–6:00 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 a.m–5:00 p.m., PT.

Clutter FAQ

Do I have to sign a contract to store with Clutter?
Yes. However, all Clutter storage agreements are month-to-month.
What items are prohibited at Clutter storage?
Clutter company policy prohibits certain items, like liquids, perishable food items, living creatures, hazardous materials, some types of pianos, pool tables and vehicles. A detailed list of Clutter prohibited items can be found on their Terms of Service.
Is Clutter responsible for packing delicate items and valuables?
Clutter can only ensure delicate or valuable items are packed safely with the additional Clutter Plus service. If you don’t have Clutter Plus, then it is your responsibility to pack your delicate belongings correctly.
Can Clutter store my belongings for a month or less?
All Clutter storage contracts are month-to-month. You can store items at a Clutter warehouse for less than a month, but Clutter will not prorate the cost.
Can Clutter dispose of or donate my unwanted items?
No, Clutter will not dispose of or donate unwanted items at this time.
Should I tip Clutter movers?
Only if you want to — Clutter moving specialists appreciate tips, but tipping is not required.
Can I visit my things in Clutter storage?
No, Clutter storage facilities are not open to the public. However, you can schedule the delivery of your items at any time.
What happens if I move outside of the Clutter service areas?
Clutter does not provide shipping services but can help to facilitate the relocation of clients’ belongings anywhere.
Does Clutter charge a late fee for overdue payments?
Yes, Clutter charges a 15% fee if a payment is more than 30 days late.
How much does Clutter storage cost?
Clutter storage rates vary by size and location, but the average Clutter storage cost is $150–$250 per month.
Does Clutter charge a deposit?
Yes, Clutter charges a deposit for first-time pickups. The specific amount will be in the confirmation email sent before your pickup date.

Do we recommend Clutter?

Yes, Clutter storage company is a smart choice for those who live in an area where their services are available. Professional moving and storage specialists take a digital inventory of all their clients’ belongings to eliminate confusion. Plus, Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras, so you know your most valuable or sentimental items are safe.

Clutter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?

Original review: July 16, 2021

Three times I have scheduled a “flexible deliver”, where Clutter is supposed to inform me by email at least 3 days before the scheduled delivery. In every case I have requested a delivery in a time window, the last Monday-Friday 9am-5pm, and every time Clutter seems to disregard this information. I am now scheduled for a deliver on Sunday and because I live in Hong Kong missed the email that came in the middle of the night to inform me I should cancel before 12 or pay the $100 fee and make a “preferred scheduling”. Beyond this issue it has been a verbally good service.

Hi Erin,

We are sorry to hear that you have been having difficulty with our flexible delivery appointments. Those appointments, along with flexibility on the dates, require a flexible delivery window of the full day as the arrival window for the appointment will be narrowed down to any point that day. If you are still having issues getting an appointment scheduled, please call our Customer Experience team at 800-805-4023 so that they can help you with the process!

Original review: July 7, 2021

I am having a hard time getting back my items from Clutter.com - this is for a very small storage unit 4x4 that fits in an SUV. So I moved (as I assume many customers are in that process) out of their service area, and so the only options to remove items are:

1. Wait from 8am-4pm at a location where they deliver about an hour away from my home.

2. Hire a moving company (they don't let you pick up from them directly at all.

Pick-ups are only M-F 8-5 pm and if you hire a moving company the window is even less Monday to Thursday. It's not very customer-friendly to pickup, and it's an incredibly stressful experience. I explained to them that I moved outside the service area and live about an hour away from where they deliver and asked them to shorten the window at least so I am not waiting like from 8am-4pm in a parking lot. They told me that is the only option or I need to hire a 3rd party moving company. So most moving companies will not take such a small job as this for a 4x4 unit, and will probably be greater than the cost of the items to hire a mover.

I am still awaiting a resultion to this problem, but its been about 3 emails back and forth and they won't escalate the matter to another person on the team to see if they can resolve a different way. It's incredibly frustrating, and after recommending them, now I am actually here doing the opposite and warning people that if you move outside their service area this what they propose, and honestly I wish I had never used them in the first place as this was never communicated on the webpage - it says they will work with you, but this is a terrible solution. If you are going to move outside the service area, I would not recommend using Clutter. I honestly dislike companies that don't make exceptions to policies when the results of them have really unreasonable demands on customers. I still don't have my items scheduled for return at this time. This policy:

1. wastes customer time

2. makes it impossible to deal with getting your items.

You can coordinate better windows if you organize the times, and not make unreasonable demands on customers. I'm very disappointed after having recommended them prior and would not recommend them again.

Miriam,

We are so sorry to hear that it’s been a challenge to retrieve your items. For those that move outside of our active service areas, the options do become limited as we have a distance requirement for delivering in areas that we don’t normally deliver or pick-up items in. The Warehouse Return option where a Third-Party Company comes onsite is a fairly new option as the warehouses are normally closed to anyone outside of Clutter. This is to help those that cannot be in the active service area for delivery which has become increasingly common over the last year or so.

We see that you were successfully able to book a delivery within the areas we are able to deliver. Your arrival window will always start with quite a large timeframe. However, as our Operations Team builds the routes for upcoming dates, your arrival window will shrink to a 3 or 4 hours window instead. You will also get tracking texts the day of to indicate the order of the route so you are aware if we are arriving near the beginning, middle, or end of this window.

We are sorry that this has been challenging but we see we have done everything to make this process as smooth as possible. Should you have any questions prior to us arriving, please submit a question on the “Get Help” section of your customer portal or by calling our Customer Experience Team at 800-805-4023.

The Clutter Team

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I have never had a worse experience with a company in my entire life. Clutter claims that your items will be captured throughout the process and once in the warehouse. 60% of my items (most of them being big furniture, Peloton, etc.) were not documented to be in the warehouse. They destroyed my $2000 Anthropologie desk and are claiming that it is worth $200 (I even purchased the extra insurance). I was quoted FOUR times by the movers that it would be, at most, a 2 hour move, they took 5 hours AND charged me for their lunch. A PLASTIC box was absolutely destroyed during the move, they never told me, noted the items or EVEN INFORMED ME OF THE DAMAGE. Do not waste your time - I am taking to small claims court because of my absolute trash of an experience.

Tiffani,

We are so sorry to hear that your experience was anything short of fantastic. Looking into your account, we do see that you have paid for the highest level of our available Protection Plans. Your Anthropologie table was offered based on the local cost of repairs due to the damages being on the lower level of severity. However, this is not a be-all-end-all. As stated in the claim offer, we are more than willing to increase the offer with proof of receipt from a professional repair company. This can be submitted directly to Claims@Clutter.com for a secondary review.

In regards to the total labor of your initial appointment, you were credited back the portion of the lunch that was billed in error. After this was resolved, you were also sent a form by our Customer Experience Team to fill out. This request is to alert our Trust & Safety Team of your additional concerns, along with your expected credit/refund to rectify the remaining issues you had regarding your experience. We do not see that this has been filled out yet so a member of our team will be reaching out to either schedule a phone call to discuss the details of your appointment or you are welcome to still fill out this form for review.

We are happy to work with you on finding a better resolution. There are plenty of ways we can improve your experience with a little extra effort from both parties. Please check your inbox for an email from our Trust & Safety Department so we can move forward and end your experience with us on a more positive note!

The Clutter Team

Original review: June 30, 2021

Please do not use this place under any circumstance. I really thought this was a good idea, great concept, good price to start but in 18 months the charges went from $280 to $400!!! They claim it’s taxes, I feel totally robbed, such a damn scam. This place is horrible, a nightmare.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 29, 2021

This was THE worst experience I've ever had with a company. I had received an estimate of ~ $400 for a one-bedroom apartment move. After losses from damaged items, I lost over $5,000 and they refuse to do anything about it citing the contract and fine print. They should not be allowed to operate such an unscrupulous, horrendous business that does that to customers. This has seriously been the worst experience with a company of my life. You will regret using Clutter, if you're here don't do it. If you have the ability to shut them down for malpractice, that would be a good idea. Just an awful company. I am 100% honest in this review with the estimate + losses.

Neil,

We are so very sorry to hear that you experienced a loss as a result of damages. While we wish there was more than we could do, we see that you received the maximum compensation for the Protection Plan you were on. While we attempt to avoid damages at all costs, we understand that sometimes this is avoidable. However, without you paying for additional coverage prior to your appointment, we do not have the capabilities to increase the offer on your claims.

The Clutter Team

Original review: June 24, 2021

Clutter was fine for moving, but when it came to storage, they unexpectedly changed my rate. When I opted to leave Clutter they gave me a retention coupon - which was actually not valid for for an extra billing cycle. This should have been mentioned in the offer as it would have factored in my decision to stay with Clutter. their customer support service lied to me and said they resolved the issue and then followed up days later saying they would not refund me. I HIGHLY recommend finding another storage business to use, as you never know what other hidden fees clutter will impose on you.

Jordan,

We are sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the rate adjustment that was pending for your account. The retention coupon was taken off your account as it was an offer effective for your next billing cycle if you continued to remain our customer. That condition is explained before you accept the offer. You scheduled delivery to close the account before the offer would take effect, so the coupon was removed as it no longer applied to your account. We see you have an open email thread with one of our agents, they will continue to address your concerns there.

Original review: June 19, 2021

They arrived on time, actually early, which I thought was off to a good start. They were professional and got started right away. Then 3 hours later they were still loading the truck. To make the move easier I sold most of the stuff of our two-bedroom unit. I was still okay with the slowdown of the process. I figured they’re taking their time, being very careful. So now, here’s where it starts getting frustrating. Early in the morning when they arrived at 8 am I told them we had to be done moving by 2 pm at the new building, as there were other people moving after us. They told me it was more than enough time. However, at 12:30 pm they went on break and didn’t show up at the new building until 2:30 pm.

With the new building manager being frustrated with me we were allowed to move through another door. Slowly the items started making it to our unit. As they were unwrapped, our glass nightstand was shattered. Only thing that was said was “we are really sorry and please make a claim”. Then our dresser was broken. So now 2500$ in the hole already. Then we found hardware in the nursery, but all the furniture looked assembled. Turns out they assembled everything without using all the necessary parts. I can’t use the baby’s crib anymore because they literally didn’t replace 4 bolts. I have to take it apart and figure out where they came from. On top of that the crib was scratched, paint chipped, wall scrapped, blinds broken.

Now we are 4 hours past the time and they are taking the most time I’ve seen anyone reassemble the bed in the master. 10 hours later they leave. The bed is the same thing as the crib, extra hardware found underneath the bed, they hid. The headboard loose. So after all that money I paid for a “professional company” I sat there took apart the bed by myself and reassembled it. The baby crib is useless and our baby has to sleep in our bed for the time being. So I would say, thank you Clutter for making sure every time I hear this name I will cringe.

Omair,

We are sorry to hear that your Moving appointment did not align with your expectations of Clutter's service. We want to ensure that your concerns are thoroughly addressed and our Trust & Safety team is here to support you along the way. Thank you for taking the time to file claims for your damaged items, as our team will review these. As our Customer Experience specialist that you spoke with noted, our Trust & Safety team will review this case and will follow up with you to connect concerning the filed claims and the Request for Compensation form provided to you. Thank you for your time.

Fondly,

Original review: June 11, 2021

I thought Clutter would be a good idea considering they also hold your stuff in storage and I wasn’t ready to move to our new house right away. The pick up and move were fine. I thought the tracking was a bit redundant. The move took much longer than it should because they take pictures of every item and track it. The guys working for them hate it. A normal moving company would’ve done it in half the time. The big screwup here was that when I got my items half of them were missing the hardware. I couldn’t assemble both beds and three lamps. How do you not pack the hardware?! Also a few items were damaged during the move. I called customer service and they told me to just write a complaint. Could not help me over the phone. I thought this was very unprofessional. Still trying to get my money back.

Dan,

We are sorry to hear that your experience with Clutter has not aligned with your expectations of the company. As a tech-based company, Clutter takes pride in the ability to digitally capture your items to be reviewed at your convenience. While we understand that you are not satisfied with this feature, Clutter customers do tend to appreciate having their digital inventory as it provides peace of mind and opportunities to have a select amount of items returned if needed. We are sorry to hear that damage came to some of your items -- our Trust & Safety team is here to support you through this process. For this, we do need to have a claim filed through your online account portal so that our team can investigate this and provide any available compensation based on your protection plan. We are unable to locate your account based on the screen name provided. At your convenience, please reach out to our team at claims@clutter.com as we would be more than happy to assist you through this process and to reach a positive resolution together. Thank you for your time.

Resolution response: June 17, 2021

Clutter has indeed returned my items as requested. Clutter scheduled an appointment and met my truck at the scheduled pickup location. Clutter also discounted the price of the exchange of items. Thank you for help and resolution!

Samantha

Original review: June 11, 2021

Being a web-based company, the level of customer service provided on the telephone is nice. However, there is no resolution for their higher escalated issues. Now I need a certain window to collect my things before I relocate to another place. That is not an option, neither has Clutter offered any resolution outside of their 3 options and if one of the options is not available, you are just plain out of luck, and clutter won't help. I feel like I am paying all this money every month to a company that has confiscated my things, will not return them to me unless it's under clutter rules and schedule. I have no resolution and no one to resolve my issue. I'm told it's not their problem. My things are being kidnapped and I still have to pay this company every month if I want to ever have a chance of seeing my items again.

Hi Samantha,

We are sorry to hear that you have not had a positive experience with our Care service when trying to schedule a new appointment with us. We are absolutely here to assist you and we want to ensure that a proper appointment is set up to meet your current needs. Our Trust & Safety team has contacted you and provided you with an order that fits with you scheduling needs. In addition, our team provided you with a $50 credit to assist with the cost of the appointment. Once again, we sincerely apologize for any difficulties you have endured through this process, but we hope that our efforts to reach a resolution with you have made a difference. Thank you for your time! If you have any further concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to the Trust & Safety agent assigned to your case.

Original review: March 20, 2021

There are so many hidden fees, you have to pay extra for everything and they make it difficult. Ends up being very expensive, don't waste your money. You also don't have access to your belongings easily once they are stored without setting an appointment and paying to retrieve them.

Courtney,

We appreciate you taking the time to speak with us regarding this matter. We hope the pricing structure and process of retrieving your items have been made more clear after speaking with our team. The credits to cover your next visit are truly a gesture of appreciation for being patient with us as we addressed your inquiries. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us in the future with any questions or concerns.

Clutter Company Information