Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.27/5

From packing your belongings, storing them, and delivering your items back to you at a specific time, Clutter has your back. Schedule exactly what you need and when you need it done through their mobile app or over the phone. Clutter’s team will make sure this process is easy and stress-free!

You can find locations in the following areas: New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Delaware, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, Chicago, Bay Area, Sacramento, Seattle, and Portland. More locations coming soon!

BOTTOM LINE

Clutter is a storage company with 2 million square feet of secure warehouse facilities and more than 200 trucks. Storage isn't available nationwide, but Clutter customer service is excellent in the locations they service.

PROS

• Digital inventory
  • Protection plan available
  • Price match guarantee
  • Pick-up, delivery and packing included

CONS

• No in-person access
  • Not available nationwide

Unsubscribe at any time.

Clutter review

Clutter storage solutions provide month-to-month storage for your belongings. Clutter services include packing materials, packing help, pick up and delivery. What sets Clutter apart from other storage companies is their extensive photo inventory process. With this system, Clutter and their customers have both a visual inventory and itemized list of stored items. Since Clutter’s storage facilities are secured and closed to the public, you can’t visit your items in storage; however, you can have them delivered back to you at any time.

Clutter conducts extensive background checks and screenings on all employees, making their moving and storage specialists well-trained and thoroughly vetted. Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras. The Clutter storage company provides their Limited Security Warranty Policy to all customers, and further protection for items can be purchased for a fee.

Clutter storage solutions

Clutter services available include packing assistance, pickup, storage and delivery. Clutter customers can manage their items in storage, book pickups and returns, and schedule or reschedule orders through the Clutter website.

Clutter storage services
    Before they store anything in one of their secure warehouse facilities, Clutter collects an online photo inventory, so they have an exact index and location of all your items. Clutter offers a variety of storage units, from the size of a small closet to custom accommodations for storing an entire business inventory or large estate.
    • Clutter storage locations: Chicago, Los Angeles, New Jersey, New York City, Orange County, San Diego, the Bay Area and Seattle.
    Clutter pickup services
    Clutter’s pickup service will transport items from clients’ homes to a Clutter storage warehouse. Items should be boxed and labeled in advance.
    • Prohibited items: Liquids of any kind, food or perishables, illegal or controlled substances, hazardous materials, living things, grand pianos, upright pianos, and pool tables are prohibited. For an entire list of prohibited items, refer to the Clutter Terms Of Service.
    Clutter delivery services
    Clutter transports items from their warehouse facilities back to clients’ homes upon request. Upon delivery, Clutter representatives place appliances or furniture in the area of your choosing one time at no additional cost.
    • Delivery service areas: New York City, Los Angeles, the Bay Area, Orange County, Inland Empire, Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Philadelphia and New Jersey.
    Clutter packing services
    Clutter packing help is a service that adequately prepares and packs all your items into boxes or storage containers. Clutter representatives provide packing materials — like moving blankets and shrink wrap — to ensure that your belongings are suitably packed for transportation and storage.

How does Clutter work?

As a full-service storage company, Clutter picks-up, stores then delivers items when needed. First-time pickups can be scheduled online or over the phone with a Clutter customer service representative. On the scheduled pickup day, a team of Clutter moving specialists arrives at your location.

Before packing, Clutter collects a digital photographic inventory of your belongings and assigns a unique barcode to each item. Then, Clutter transports the inventory to one of their secured storage facilities.

If you want to retrieve an item in the future, all you need to do is access your Clutter account and select which item you need. Clutter will then deliver the item back to you.

Clutter storage prices

Clutter prices depend significantly upon how many items need to be stored. To get a free quote for the cost of Clutter storage, fill out a brief questionnaire and provide your ZIP code, the size of storage unit you need, how you plan to move your belongings into storage, how long you plan to use the storage unit, and the date you need the storage unit. Review a variety of pickup time options, and if the Clutter price is acceptable, submit your email address.

Please note that Clutter charges a deposit for the first pickup. The first month of storage is charged after pickup, and then billing is automatic. If you ever need to update your billing information, you can easily log in to your Clutter account and update your default for automatic payments.

Clutter security and protection

Clutter automatically provides a Limited Security Warranty Policy that covers possessions up to $1.00 per pound. Additional $1,000 or $2,500 protection plans are available for an extra charge. Be aware that Clutter is only responsible for the items they pack and visually inspect.

Clutter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?

Original review: May 28, 2020

We found Clutter during my daughter’s freshman year in NYU. There was a lot of good feedback on the parents’ groups from NYU. Clutter would come to the dorm and pack you out and that it was painless. This year, we used them because the dorms closed very quickly and unexpectedly. I already had an account with them and kinda knew how it worked. It went smoothly. Last year, the only issue we had was trying to figure out which size and shape of the locker we would need. My daughter has a lot of stuff that has an awkward size and shape. They came, put everything in boxes for her, took everything apart for her, and took pictures of everything that they boxed up.

This year, she packed most of her stuff before they came because she had a little bit of time and knew that she had to be out of the dorm at NYU by Sunday or they were gonna pack her stuff. She wanted to make sure all her stuff was packed and would make it home. Her roommate came back, let Clutter in, and they took pictures. In advance, you can get the time that you want. We did that the first time and scheduled three months in advance.

This time, they did it in two days and still had time to come get her. They were really good about coming in on time. The best thing is to have your stuff sorted and ready to go in boxes, taken apart if you can, with all the little pieces taped in bags. I unpacked her from the Clutter stuff and it went really well. They came and gave me an appointment quickly, They were willing to go into the dorm when the dorms were locked. Some companies weren’t going into the dorms and getting the kids’ stuff and that was really helpful.

Original review: May 26, 2020

I found Clutter on Groupon. And I used them because they were in California where my daughter goes to college. Because we live in New York and she’s in California by herself, I needed somebody who could come, help her pack up her stuff, and take it to storage. And then we deliver it in the fall when she goes back to school so that if her dad and I weren’t able to help her, she could do it by herself. Since it was on Groupon it was less expensive.

Their staff were friendly and helpful. And what I really liked was because of the COVID crisis, I had booked super early because I needed to make sure she was on the schedule and she wasn’t scheduled to move until May, but then with COVID-19, the school said we needed to be out. And they gave us less than a week to get to California and move her out, and she was home in New York with me on break.

They were good about rescheduling. They pushed the date up to March within a week. I had to call back because she had finals and we needed to change it again an hour later and no issues, no nastiness. They redid it, they confirmed, we were all set. The process was easy, and they were very, very accommodating. They were really nice. The guys came early. They packed her stuff up quickly and were very amenable to everything we needed to do and explained what they could take and what they couldn’t take. There were some stuff that we wanted to take and they said no because their experience is that that kind of stuff gets damaged. Overall, it was a great experience.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: May 23, 2020

I was having to deal with uncluttering and emptying out my parents’ home after they moved into a retirement community, and it was a daunting task. So, when I had sort of whittled it down to a certain quantity, I had filled my house as much as I could and sold what I could. I needed to get some more things put into storage until we could deal with it. We were hoping to do garage sales, which doesn’t look like they're gonna happen this year due to COVID. So, I started looking online to see who was out there. One of the things that appealed to me about Clutter was they came in and packed everything up for me, cataloged it, and brought it away from me. Once I'll be ready, they would bring it back to me.

Not having to find a way to haul everything to a place, pack everything up, and do all that kinda stuff was appealing to me at that point in time because I was going absolutely insane. I work full time and trying to do this kinda stuff on the weekends only is very difficult. They also were running a promotion where it was essentially $100 off because they give you a gift certificate for the first month. I’d probably be using them for a month or two. This is my second month with them.

Their guys did a lot of prep work. They had to properly put labels on, they had to put numbers on, they had to catalog everything from an inventory perspective, took pictures of everything, and then, they made sure that I know, “This is where everything is." It’s somewhat difficult. And then, they worked with me on keeping it to a certain size of the space so that I didn’t have to go above a certain dollar value because I was trying to just keep it affordable. So, they did a really good job with that.

They were both very pleasant young guys. They worked pretty good in tandem with each other. I’ve chatted with them, and they chatted back. They were very nice about everything. They did have to take their one break. They sort of let me know what they could and could not do. Towards the end, they really worked with me on the square-footage piece because we were down to a few boxes, and I sort of was telling them, “Well, this part is important, and this part, you can keep to the side. I can always get this stuff later or whatever.” They worked with me on that and came up with a way to keep it to the size I needed. Everything worked out pretty good from that perspective. Their interaction with me was really good. They joked around occasionally. It’s really nice.

They packed everything up and got everything onto the truck. There were just a few boxes I couldn’t throw in there, but I just had them put it in the garage for me. Everything was fine other than that. They were able to pack up most of the stuff I needed packed up. I had tried to at least put it into piles so they knew what was supposed to go, and I let them do the packing. A lot of my boxes were open, and the appeal of the whole thing was because I wouldn’t have to deal with separating boxes out and fitting them into other boxes. It was nice that they just were able to do the whole thing for me.

The only thing was when they came, I saw that their truck had pulled up because I was still running around the house, getting things together, and making sure I wasn’t forgetting anything. I figured they'd knock on the door and let me know they were there. And at the time, some phone numbers were not ringing through on my phone. It was going straight into voicemail. Even though I had my phone on me, there were a few calls from their central center saying, “They're outside,” and, “If you’re not able to get to them within the next x minutes, they may have to go on to their next assignment.”

I saw them waiting outside. So, I went downstairs, and they were sort of parked there and sitting. I looked at my phone just to make sure that the instructions said when they were there, but I thought that meant they were gonna knock on the door. I didn't know if it was because of the new COVID thing, but I would have hate to have lost them if I hadn’t been paying attention to whether or not they were there or not. That was the only thing I would have thought would have been inefficient. Other than that, the two guys were very nice. At the end, they even had to take a picture of them in front of the truck. They were trying to draw PR for the company there. It was an overall good experience.

Clutter's price tag is a little higher than some of the similar square-footage out there. But I assume they charged the extra because they're hauling everything for you, and to and from wherever you might be. I get that they have to factor that into the overall cost. So, I figured even if they did a couple free months, it would still even out to a similar average because of the $100 gift card. The reason I still went with it was because I knew I was paying for some of the convenience of what they were going to do for me.

Original review: May 19, 2020

I love Clutter. I used them when I moved into my apartment and stored a bunch of stuff, and they're coming tomorrow. I'm sending more stuff to storage and bringing some stuff out. It's been very seamless and so easy. I forgot what I had in storage, so I logged on to my account, and everything is there with several pictures of everything. It kept me from getting different furniture. So, it saved me from having to go and buy new stuff because I had all the pictures there so I could remember, and I can call back any time I wanted. The prices are reasonable, too.

When the guys came and loaded up the stuff when I initially called them to take them out to put into storage, they wrapped it up so carefully, so well and were very mindful. This apartment that I moved into is so incredibly small, but they were very careful in moving everything in and out. They were courteous and very nice. It's been a great experience with Clutter.

Also, with the whole COVID thing, they’ve been super mindful of texting me and asking me questions like, “Has anybody been sick in your home? Have you traveled outside of the state?" All of these precautions to keep everything as limited with physical contact. So, having those pictures online is so helpful. I don’t have to go somewhere. I don’t have to call somebody. I don’t have to make somebody make a useless trip of bringing something that maybe the wrong item because I see it and I know what I want and what I don’t want, and then I have the ability to change, too. If I booked this last week, and if I decided that, “Oh, I don’t want that,” I can just go back into my account and say, “No, leave that, or bring this, or take that and not this,” and it makes it easy. It's just so simple. So, it's a really good brainchild.

Scheduling and getting the quote was really easy. At first, I was really confused because I could only have them pick up stuff for storage before. So, when I knew I needed some items back and for them to take some other items, I called, and they were said, “Oh, it's all there on the app,” but the rep told me how much it would be with the quote. She said, “It's gonna be about this much. But your final price will be there when you go into your account and you put in all the information.” The girl that I spoke to was very helpful.

Original review: May 16, 2020

My daughter’s classmate had recommended Clutter and their moms recommended their services. Their process was pretty easy. I had their phone number from their website and they helped me. We live on the other coast. My daughter's school is out in California. We didn’t get the word that they had to move out of the dorms yet, but they have to leave campus. I had called Clutter and asked what their process was. The gentleman who helped me explained their process and what they offered in terms of packing, and with the storage and what the rates are based on how long it would be.

Then when I heard that it was time for her to move out, I called Clutter back. Whoever I got had that same record and he had everything listed and pretty much schedule it then, when they would pick it up. It was short notice, but they responded really quickly and they got the guys out there. Somebody had to meet them. A friend that we had met them, let them into the dorm and worked with them to get in there. They brought boxes and did all the packing. They wouldn’t take any liquid or any of that stuff that she had left there like the laundry detergent.

The experience was easy. I did their contracts online, too. They emailed me the contract. I was able to read it and just sign it with electronic signature. The process was the simplest. They were there promptly too. They texted then to inform, and then they texted when they were coming, and then they texted when they were complete. I thought that that was great. They didn’t waste our friend’s time who had to come there and be there. They gave an appropriate window for when they were gonna be there and it worked out well. They were done pretty quickly too.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

My Storage Unit wasn't Supposed to be Auctioned off till September 29, 2020. They auctioned it unexpectedly, to my shock, last month in August. Was only told recently by Storage Manager after it was Auctioned off already. I am Soo heartbroken and Shocked. Many Irreplaceable items and important Documents like my Birth Certificate and Citizenship Paper, along with my Other Important Papers also was in my Storage. Soo Sad and Heartbreaking. I have suffered Emotionally and Also lost A lot of Merchandise in my Storage unit., along with my Other Sentimental Items. I am Soo Disappointed with this Storage Facility. They told me they were going to get back to me and to this date, I am Still waiting for their Response from their Headquarters.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

Clutter is an overpriced scam that looks for every opportunity to take your money. I’m a very real person that was looking for an easy moving option, but this service fully let me down. They lied to me about pricing and then broke items when they were returned. I can’t be more disappointed with this service. Don’t do it.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I had them move me out of my home in March 2020 into storage. I agreed to the contract based on a 1 hour a month free pick up or delivery! After two months I went in to have some items moved of my home. They started to charge me. I called they said they took that option away even though I had a contract. Refused to do any. Offered $ 100 credit. Then I look online I’m paying $353 a month. The same unit is $161 for 8 months. I asked for that contract. They said I still have a contract. Even though they changed the contract two months in and refused to lower my storage. Beware they are scam artist that hold you hostage!

Original review: July 29, 2020

My credit card company recently replaced the old card on file with Clutter for new card in order to improve security. All automatic payments did continue even including with Clutter until June 2020 when for some reason they claim the last payment was not processed. Even so Clutter have my phone and e-mail for contact. They never did until today July 29, 2020 claiming that 2 invoices are late or for original invoice for July 1 and 2 late fees. 1 for the regular monthly fee and 1 for the late fee for total of about $60.00. I tried to explain to them that I only received the e-mail notification today and was not aware of any issues but they simply refused to accept any explanations or waive at least the late fee on the late fee. In conclusion since they took over the company I used for many years not just the service went down (hard on a storage facility) but are trying to make money with fees on top of fees. Please stay away.

Original review: June 25, 2020

Wow! I don't even know where to begin with these guys. If I could give 0 stars I would have preferred to do that! The pickup process was smooth and no complaints. They disassembled everything that needed to be and packed everything safely. The drop off process was a total nightmare. It was good that they came early in the day. They arrived around 7:40 AM and started unloading the truck. We had stuff stored with them that were supposed to be put in rooms around the house (basement, garage, and family room).

Our basement is a walkout basement with doors in the back of the house. One of the workers stated on camera that they were going to unload items from the truck on to the driveway and then from there put the items in their respective rooms. After unloading the truck on the driveway and putting some items where there were suppose to go, all of sudden they said they had to leave because of an emergency and that dispatch will follow up.

First of all, dispatch never followed up, we had to call them on our own and was placed on hold numerous times. Secondly, many of the items were left on the driveway when peeled off! Thirdly, there was damage done to our furniture while in their possession. Once we finally got in contact with customer service, we were told that we were having them "stage" the house by asking them to place furniture in respective rooms. Moving companies generally place your items in the rooms you tell them to and not just dump on your driveway and leave! They also do not make up a lie and say an emergency came up and leave, when that was not the reason at all.

Customer service mentioned that a supervisor would get back in contact with us, however, as of this review which is five hours later, we got no call. So their customer service is just as crappy as the unloading service. I will never recommend clutter to anyone for any reason. For litigation purposes we luckily have everything recorded (including statements about their supposed emergency as well as one of the workers explaining about leaving everything on driveway and placing it their respective rooms later) from our Ring Video Cams. They will be hearing from our lawyers very soon!

Clutter customer service

Most scheduling and rescheduling is completed through the Clutter website. If you have further logistical questions, you can call Clutter customer service number any day of the week, from Monday to Friday, 6:00–6:00 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 a.m–5:00 p.m., PT.

Clutter FAQ

Do I have to sign a contract to store with Clutter?
      Yes. However, all Clutter storage agreements are month-to-month.
      What items are prohibited at Clutter storage?
      Clutter company policy prohibits certain items, like liquids, perishable food items, living creatures, hazardous materials, some types of pianos, pool tables and vehicles. A detailed list of Clutter prohibited items can be found on their Terms of Service.
      Is Clutter responsible for packing delicate items and valuables?
      Clutter can only ensure delicate or valuable items are packed safely with the additional Clutter Plus service. If you don’t have Clutter Plus, then it is your responsibility to pack your delicate belongings correctly.
      Can Clutter store my belongings for a month or less?
      All Clutter storage contracts are month-to-month. You can store items at a Clutter warehouse for less than a month, but Clutter will not prorate the cost.
      Can Clutter dispose of or donate my unwanted items?
      No, Clutter will not dispose of or donate unwanted items at this time.
      Should I tip Clutter movers?
      Only if you want to — Clutter moving specialists appreciate tips, but tipping is not required.
      Can I visit my things in Clutter storage?
      No, Clutter storage facilities are not open to the public. However, you can schedule the delivery of your items at any time.
      What happens if I move outside of the Clutter service areas?
      Clutter does not provide shipping services but can help to facilitate the relocation of clients’ belongings anywhere.
      Does Clutter charge a late fee for overdue payments?
      Yes, Clutter charges a 15% fee if a payment is more than 30 days late.
      How much does Clutter storage cost?
      Clutter storage rates vary by size and location, but the average Clutter storage cost is $150–$250 per month.
      Does Clutter charge a deposit?
      Yes, Clutter charges a deposit for first-time pickups. The specific amount will be in the confirmation email sent before your pickup date.

Do we recommend Clutter?

Yes, Clutter storage company is a smart choice for those who live in an area where their services are available. Professional moving and storage specialists take a digital inventory of all their clients’ belongings to eliminate confusion. Plus, Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras, so you know your most valuable or sentimental items are safe.

Clutter Company Information