3.3/5 (142 ratings)

About Clutter

From packing your belongings, storing them, and delivering your items back to you at a specific time, Clutter has your back. Schedule exactly what you need and when you need it done through their mobile app or over the phone. Clutter’s team will make sure this process is easy and stress-free!

Pros

• Digital inventory
  • Protection plan available
  • Price match guarantee
  • Pick-up, delivery and packing included

Cons

• No in-person access
  • Not available nationwide

Bottom Line

Clutter is a storage company with 2 million square feet of secure warehouse facilities and more than 200 trucks. Storage isn't available nationwide, but Clutter customer service is excellent in the locations they service.

About Clutter

Clutter storage solutions provide month-to-month storage for your belongings. Clutter services include packing materials, packing help, pick up and delivery. What sets Clutter apart from other storage companies is their extensive photo inventory process. With this system, Clutter and their customers have both a visual inventory and itemized list of stored items. Since Clutter’s storage facilities are secured and closed to the public, you can’t visit your items in storage; however, you can have them delivered back to you at any time.

Clutter conducts extensive background checks and screenings on all employees, making their moving and storage specialists well-trained and thoroughly vetted. Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras. The Clutter storage company provides their Limited Security Warranty Policy to all customers, and further protection for items can be purchased for a fee.

Clutter storage solutions

Clutter services available include packing assistance, pickup, storage and delivery. Clutter customers can manage their items in storage, book pickups and returns, and schedule or reschedule orders through the Clutter website.

Clutter storage services
Before they store anything in one of their secure warehouse facilities, Clutter collects an online photo inventory, so they have an exact index and location of all your items. Clutter offers a variety of storage units, from the size of a small closet to custom accommodations for storing an entire business inventory or large estate.
  • Clutter storage locations: Chicago, Los Angeles, New Jersey, New York City, Orange County, San Diego, the Bay Area and Seattle.
Clutter pickup services
Clutter’s pickup service will transport items from clients’ homes to a Clutter storage warehouse. Items should be boxed and labeled in advance.
  • Prohibited items: Liquids of any kind, food or perishables, illegal or controlled substances, hazardous materials, living things, grand pianos, upright pianos, and pool tables are prohibited. For an entire list of prohibited items, refer to the Clutter Terms Of Service.
Clutter delivery services
Clutter transports items from their warehouse facilities back to clients’ homes upon request. Upon delivery, Clutter representatives place appliances or furniture in the area of your choosing one time at no additional cost.
  • Delivery service areas: New York City, Los Angeles, the Bay Area, Orange County, Inland Empire, Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Philadelphia and New Jersey.
Clutter packing services
Clutter packing help is a service that adequately prepares and packs all your items into boxes or storage containers. Clutter representatives provide packing materials — like moving blankets and shrink wrap — to ensure that your belongings are suitably packed for transportation and storage.

How does Clutter work?

As a full-service storage company, Clutter picks-up, stores then delivers items when needed. First-time pickups can be scheduled online or over the phone with a Clutter customer service representative. On the scheduled pickup day, a team of Clutter moving specialists arrives at your location.

Before packing, Clutter collects a digital photographic inventory of your belongings and assigns a unique barcode to each item. Then, Clutter transports the inventory to one of their secured storage facilities.

If you want to retrieve an item in the future, all you need to do is access your Clutter account and select which item you need. Clutter will then deliver the item back to you.

Clutter storage prices

Clutter prices depend significantly upon how many items need to be stored. To get a free quote for the cost of Clutter storage, fill out a brief questionnaire and provide your ZIP code, the size of storage unit you need, how you plan to move your belongings into storage, how long you plan to use the storage unit, and the date you need the storage unit. Review a variety of pickup time options, and if the Clutter price is acceptable, submit your email address.

Please note that Clutter charges a deposit for the first pickup. The first month of storage is charged after pickup, and then billing is automatic. If you ever need to update your billing information, you can easily log in to your Clutter account and update your default for automatic payments.

Clutter security and protection

Clutter automatically provides a Limited Security Warranty Policy that covers possessions up to $1.00 per pound. Additional $1,000 or $2,500 protection plans are available for an extra charge. Be aware that Clutter is only responsible for the items they pack and visually inspect.

Clutter customer service

Most scheduling and rescheduling is completed through the Clutter website. If you have further logistical questions, you can call Clutter customer service number any day of the week, from Monday to Friday, 6:00–6:00 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 a.m–5:00 p.m., PT.

Clutter FAQ

Do I have to sign a contract to store with Clutter?
Yes. However, all Clutter storage agreements are month-to-month.
What items are prohibited at Clutter storage?
Clutter company policy prohibits certain items, like liquids, perishable food items, living creatures, hazardous materials, some types of pianos, pool tables and vehicles. A detailed list of Clutter prohibited items can be found on their Terms of Service.
Is Clutter responsible for packing delicate items and valuables?
Clutter can only ensure delicate or valuable items are packed safely with the additional Clutter Plus service. If you don’t have Clutter Plus, then it is your responsibility to pack your delicate belongings correctly.
Can Clutter store my belongings for a month or less?
All Clutter storage contracts are month-to-month. You can store items at a Clutter warehouse for less than a month, but Clutter will not prorate the cost.
Can Clutter dispose of or donate my unwanted items?
No, Clutter will not dispose of or donate unwanted items at this time.
Should I tip Clutter movers?
Only if you want to — Clutter moving specialists appreciate tips, but tipping is not required.
Can I visit my things in Clutter storage?
No, Clutter storage facilities are not open to the public. However, you can schedule the delivery of your items at any time.
What happens if I move outside of the Clutter service areas?
Clutter does not provide shipping services but can help to facilitate the relocation of clients’ belongings anywhere.
Does Clutter charge a late fee for overdue payments?
Yes, Clutter charges a 15% fee if a payment is more than 30 days late.
How much does Clutter storage cost?
Clutter storage rates vary by size and location, but the average Clutter storage cost is $150–$250 per month.
Does Clutter charge a deposit?
Yes, Clutter charges a deposit for first-time pickups. The specific amount will be in the confirmation email sent before your pickup date.

Do we recommend Clutter?

Yes, Clutter storage company is a smart choice for those who live in an area where their services are available. Professional moving and storage specialists take a digital inventory of all their clients’ belongings to eliminate confusion. Plus, Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras, so you know your most valuable or sentimental items are safe.

Clutter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

I used Clutter for moving and storage. It seemed like the most convenient option since they could take care of both my moving and storage needs… or so I thought. While the moving part went smoothly for the most part (took a couple of hours longer than they estimated), when it came time to get some of my things, it’s turned into a nightmare.

I moved far outside their coverage area but fully expected to access some of my things when I drove back up. Long story short, there is no convenient way to access my items. They do not allow their customers anywhere near their warehouse (sketchy!). Their policy makes absolutely no sense since they will allow movers of my choosing to pick them up at the warehouse. They also provide an option to have something shipped to a location but there’s a catch… there is a cost (per item!) and if they’re shipping outside their service area, they’ll use FedEx, which is cost prohibitive for anything heavy or oversized (like a wardrobe box).

They never disclosed how difficult it would be to access my stuff, nor did they mention there would be such a high cost to retrieve them. It’s like they’re double dipping since they already get you for a monthly fee. It’s not hyperbole to say what they’re doing is extortion; they not only charge you a monthly fee to hold your stuff, but they will hold it hostage unless you pay them exorbitant fees to get your stuff back. Stay away from this company. It’s not worth the hassle and expense. Use a good moving company and a real storage facility that has customer friendly policies (ie, freely access your things at no additional cost).

Hello Sonny,

We're very sorry to hear that Clutter did not meet up to your expectations. We understand that the process has not been accomodating to you at this time. Our Smart Storage is a unique service that allows our movers to do all the work for our customers. All details outlining our services and fees are found in the Release Agreement you've signed with us.

We were unable to locate your account based on your profile name. Please send us a message through your account portal requesting to speak to our Trust and Safety department to discuss this further.

We appreciate you voicing your concerns, and we hope to hear from you soon.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I hired Clutter to store my home furniture for a few months while I was traveling and between permanent residences. The packing was a bit of overkill with shrink wrap, bubble wrap and boxing of every little thing. I appreciated that they were taking good care of my items, but felt like it was unnecessarily extending the time (charge by the hours). Upon moving back in, I was told that their policy was to not dispose of any of the packing materials that were used. I ended up with a whole truckload of bubble wrap, tape and boxes. Despite their cautiousness, many of my boxes were crushed and mutilated upon delivery and several glass items were broken inside.

The more frustrating point is that they broke the legs off my couch while moving out and could not replace them when moving back in. The movers told me the legs were useless and to file a claim. The claims department claimed that the legs could be re-attached even though their own people disagreed and could not re-attach. Now I have a useless couch and have to go spend more than the move-out, move-in and 2 months of storage combined just to get a couch that I can sit on. Completely frustrating experience. Do not recommend.

Travis,

We’re truly sorry to hear that your experience with Clutter did not meet up to your expectations. Our goal is to provide hassle-free service to our customers, and we apologize that this was not the case. We were unable to locate your account solely with the information on this review.

Please feel free to reach out to us via your message portal through your account. We’d love to investigate this further and see how we can make your Clutter experience a better one.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

The Clutter Team

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I had to move out of my office during Covid so I put my stuff in storage with Clutter. They had the best rates of anyone around. 8 months in they raised the storage rate 20%. I called to complain and they agreed to reduce it so it was only raised 10% but when I asked if I could lock in the new rate for at least a year they said no, they cannot tell me when the rate would be raised again. Seems like a scam. They get you in with low rates and then once your stuff is in storage they take the liberty of raising the rates as frequently as they would like. If they raise it again within the year I will probably move my stuff to a different facility.

Hello Elle,

We'd first like to offer our apologies for the experience. Rate adjustments are standard practice in our industry. However, we notify our customers 30 days before any rate adjustments take place. We have programs in place to apply discounts to rate adjustments. We're sorry to hear you are unsatisfied with our services. We appreciate you voicing your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I am beyond distraught and heartbroken. All of my personal items have been auctioned off despite me trying to pay off balance. All important documents and items lost. I was a customer since 2018. I fell behind due to Covid. I updated them on my status. I slowly got back on my feet with stable hours and was able to make more payments. None of that matter. My bal got as high an $2000 but, I was able to knock it down to 966.00. None of that matter to these folks. Kept giving me the scripted response. Then this morning I get an billing invoice that there was a $50 payment auction revenue on my account.

All of my family photos, documents, sentimental items gone. These items had value to me. All of my living relatives are no longer alive. I am beyond distraught. I had been a customer since 2018 and they did nothing to try to help me. Aug/Sept. they chose to do nothing. I was someone who wanted to pay. Other major companies work with their customers especially during Covid. But, not this company.

Hello Theresa,

We understand you're not happy with the current circumstances. We've made multiple attempts to work with you to avoid having your items auctioned. We do our best to work with our customers to avoid auctions by all means. Unfortunately, your contract with Clutter was broken due to the nonpayment of your storage space. We appreciate you voicing your concerns. I hope this finds you well.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

Our move with Clutter took place on Thursday, August 27, 2021. I’ve taken a few weeks to put together this review because it’s been so disheartening to open boxes that were packed by our Clutter movers to find countless broken belongings. I originally booked Clutter because they seemed like a trustworthy national company who would have trained employees and organized processes in place. We only used Clutter for a 4-block move and not for storage. When I told a friend about what has happened, she asked if Clutter are eviction movers — they were completely careless and had no rhyme or reason to their moving process.

We did a video walk-through with the Clutter team a few days before the move to show them the furniture and items that needed to be packed. They quoted us 4 hours of work with 2 movers for our 1-bedroom and 1-office apartment. It ended up taking over 8 hours with 4 movers. Like with many other reviewers, the original estimate was way off.

BROKEN ITEMS

Towards the end of the move, we could hear our items being dropped and smashed in the stairwell as they made their way up the flight of stairs to our new apartment. I watched them pull the truck forward on the street while items like a tall glass mirror were still leaning against the back. These crashed to the street. The movers didn’t inform us of any of this. I witnessed it from my window and found broken pieces of my things in the apartment hallway after they left.

We asked the movers specifically to be extra careful with our 65” TV and it was poorly wrapped and handled. One bottom corner of the screen was completely bent and cracked beyond repair. The TV no longer turns on. Many ceramic and glass pieces were placed loose into boxes, with little to no protection. We asked them to wrap vanity drawers in blankets and move them as-is. Instead, they emptied the drawers into trash bags. Precious items such as earrings, bracelets, and ceramic jewelry boxes were breaking through the plastic bags.

UNSATISFACTORY RESOLUTION

After the long day of moving they didn’t even finish the job! We had to go back to our old apartment late at night to continue packing forgotten cupboards and things that were inexplicably left behind like alarm clocks, lamps, etc. and pay for our own transport to the new place. In addition to all that, we tipped all our movers in cash because we learned that Clutter takes a cut of the tips given through their site.

The movers didn’t label ANY boxes. We were stuck in our first night in our new home with zero idea what was anywhere. Weeks later, hardware for re-assembling some of our furniture pieces and the cords and cables for important tech are still missing. And to top it all off, our super at the old apartment texted us to let us know that the movers broke the glass front door of the building clean off the hinges. When we asked them about it they said they knew nothing about this. Like others, we filed claims for what we could and were offered their base insurance of $1/pound. $75 for a broken 75-pound, $2500 TV. Please for the love of God do not move with Clutter. I will tell anyone who will listen to AVOID at all costs.

Amanda,

We are so disheartened to hear that you had multiple items damaged upon return. This is definitely the opposite of what we aim for on each appointment. We did some digging and were unable to find an account with solely the information on this review. If you could please file a claim on the customer portal and get in touch with us via email at Claims@Clutter.com, we’d love to investigate this further and see what is eligible for compensation. We look forward to hearing from you soon so we can work to reach a resolution.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

The worst moving company I have ever used in my entire life! Quick Summary: One of the workers quit during the job. The other worker kept quiet for 3 hrs before we noticed. They sent a small young woman that could do the heavy lifting. They missed the window to get everything done and sent another crew to help the next day. We were charged for their mishap. There was damage to the wall. We were overcharged...The list goes on and on. Do not use this company!!!! They are pure crooks!!!

Tabitha,

We’re deeply sorry to hear about your recent experience.

We are unable to locate your account information based on your Consumer Affairs information and will be sending a private message shortly in order to investigate further.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Long story short, I've been a member with a small storage unit since December. I set them up with my credit card, so payments were automatic. Little did I know, they were charging me late fees 2-5 days even after collecting the monthly rent. They charged me 3 lien fees, plus $100 in late fees. When I went online and checked statements and made a breakdown, I saw that has been happening since last year. I spoke to Savisia on the phone and she told me that because my billing date was on the 28, when they tried to charge me every 28 the CC didn't go thru, so they kept trying, every 5 days and then every 15 days after, which makes their late fees "Valid".

Horrible company, my balance should have been adjusted to reflect given that I've paid over $150 in late fees plus 3 lien fees. A $1 promo was never applied to my account as the promo that I was offered when I signed up. DO NOT use this storage. I've used Public Storage and they never gave me any trouble, even when my CC didn't go thru.

Katia,

We are so sorry that you were unaware of the late/lien fees associated with your account. Looking into this further, these were appropriately applied to your account. As you stated, your billing date is on the 28th of each month. When the payment does not go through, we have multiple levels of fees depending on how many days it takes to get this balance from our customers. Since we have already refunded multiple prior charges, we are required to keep the owed balance on your account until this can be paid off. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach back out via prior email communications or by contacting our Senior Specialists @ 800-521-8497.

Resolution response: Sept. 14, 2021

Thank you Clutter for making things right. It’s appreciated.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I had made a reservation at 9:26pm and canceled 12 minutes later. I got charged a $100 for canceling last minute (less than 48 hours). How could I have canceled early if the reservation was made 38 hours before. When I emailed and called they explained how it’s in some fine print and it was valid for them to charge me. I, like most people, did not see fine print. So I got charged for no service and when I called they really acted as if there was absolutely no possible way for them to help. I’m very disappointed that this company seems to have no regards for people or offer any courtesy. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Rif,

We are so sorry that you received a cancellation fee on your account. Our system was upholding Clutter's policy to apply this $100 for all appointments that are rescheduled or canceled in less than 48 hours from the day/time of the appointment. While this is information that is readily available before and after the booking process, we can understand the frustration due to being able to book in such a short time from the day we were to arrive. As a result, we have refunded this fee as a one-time courtesy.

We hope that should you need our services in the future, you will think of Clutter. We are here to not only provide great moving/storage services but great customer service as well. A member of our Trust & Safety Team has reached out directly to open any lines of communication should you have questions and/or concerns.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I made a booking online which was super easy. Within a few minutes I needed to cancel and lo and behold this company charge me $100 when they didn’t provide any service. I called customer service. The lady was super rude and didn’t do anything and tried to justify hundred dollars for some text barred in the email. I am extremely disappointed in the customer service and how this service is recommended on the website after so many negative reviews. I’m charged for a service that I have never used. And the customer service is rude and not very helpful at all. I will not recommend a service to anyone. Stay away.

Hello SV,

We're sorry to hear you incurred a $100 cancelation fee, and had difficulty with our customer service line.

We are unable to locate your account information based on your Consumer Affairs information, and will be sending a private message shortly in order to investigate further.

The Clutter Team

Original review: July 29, 2021

I've used Clutter for moving + storage for only 4 days due to a gap between my 2 leases. They managed to break my CB2 marble table and lose the wooden foot of my couch. The cost to me in addition to 1 month's storage fee and moving both ways was close to $2k. I received a $200 refund after days and days of chats with their customer service. (Just to note, I didn't pay attention to the insurance offer since I needed the storage for 4 days - which I should have. But even if I picked the highest coverage, the payment wouldn't have been anywhere near the cost of my damaged/broken furniture.) I don't even want to mention countless broken glasses, chips, and scratches on whatever's left of my furniture. At this point, I feel lucky I received my bed & headboard in one piece.

For anyone who's thinking about using Clutter for moving and/or storage, their prices are lower than professional moving services because they don't use professionals. Unless you're moving/storing strictly paper towels, I recommend getting rid of everything you own and starting fresh rather than going through the hassle I've been through. Or - and better - find a decent moving/storage company.

Fulya,

We are so very sorry to hear of your damages. Regardless of how long you are storing with us, we attempt to avoid as much damages as we can. However, in the world of moving and storage, we know this is not always the case. While we cannot reverse the damages, we can do our best to rectify the situation by paying out based on the level of Protection Plan associated with the customer’s account.

As you stated in your review, this was not at a level that you would like. However, we can confirm you were paid above the state minimum at a rate of $1 per pound. Your $200 payout was appropriate for the items based on their weight and as a result, we have paid you at the highest eligible level possible. We are so sorry you have had a less-than-great experience with us. Should you have additional damages, we encourage you to submit a claim so we can make sure to get you the compensation you deserve for these remaining items.

Clutter Company Information