Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.29/5

From packing your belongings, storing them, and delivering your items back to you at a specific time, Clutter has your back. Schedule exactly what you need and when you need it done through their mobile app or over the phone. Clutter’s team will make sure this process is easy and stress-free!

You can find locations in the following areas: New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Delaware, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, Chicago, Bay Area, Sacramento, Seattle, and Portland. More locations coming soon!

View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Clutter is a storage company with 2 million square feet of secure warehouse facilities and more than 200 trucks. Storage isn't available nationwide, but Clutter customer service is excellent in the locations they service.

PROS

• Digital inventory
  • Protection plan available
  • Price match guarantee
  • Pick-up, delivery and packing included

CONS

• No in-person access
  • Not available nationwide

Clutter review

Clutter storage solutions provide month-to-month storage for your belongings. Clutter services include packing materials, packing help, pick up and delivery. What sets Clutter apart from other storage companies is their extensive photo inventory process. With this system, Clutter and their customers have both a visual inventory and itemized list of stored items. Since Clutter’s storage facilities are secured and closed to the public, you can’t visit your items in storage; however, you can have them delivered back to you at any time.

Clutter conducts extensive background checks and screenings on all employees, making their moving and storage specialists well-trained and thoroughly vetted. Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras. The Clutter storage company provides their Limited Security Warranty Policy to all customers, and further protection for items can be purchased for a fee.

Clutter storage solutions

Clutter services available include packing assistance, pickup, storage and delivery. Clutter customers can manage their items in storage, book pickups and returns, and schedule or reschedule orders through the Clutter website.

Clutter storage services
Before they store anything in one of their secure warehouse facilities, Clutter collects an online photo inventory, so they have an exact index and location of all your items. Clutter offers a variety of storage units, from the size of a small closet to custom accommodations for storing an entire business inventory or large estate.
  • Clutter storage locations: Chicago, Los Angeles, New Jersey, New York City, Orange County, San Diego, the Bay Area and Seattle.
Clutter pickup services
Clutter’s pickup service will transport items from clients’ homes to a Clutter storage warehouse. Items should be boxed and labeled in advance.
  • Prohibited items: Liquids of any kind, food or perishables, illegal or controlled substances, hazardous materials, living things, grand pianos, upright pianos, and pool tables are prohibited. For an entire list of prohibited items, refer to the Clutter Terms Of Service.
Clutter delivery services
Clutter transports items from their warehouse facilities back to clients’ homes upon request. Upon delivery, Clutter representatives place appliances or furniture in the area of your choosing one time at no additional cost.
  • Delivery service areas: New York City, Los Angeles, the Bay Area, Orange County, Inland Empire, Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Philadelphia and New Jersey.
Clutter packing services
Clutter packing help is a service that adequately prepares and packs all your items into boxes or storage containers. Clutter representatives provide packing materials — like moving blankets and shrink wrap — to ensure that your belongings are suitably packed for transportation and storage.

How does Clutter work?

As a full-service storage company, Clutter picks-up, stores then delivers items when needed. First-time pickups can be scheduled online or over the phone with a Clutter customer service representative. On the scheduled pickup day, a team of Clutter moving specialists arrives at your location.

Before packing, Clutter collects a digital photographic inventory of your belongings and assigns a unique barcode to each item. Then, Clutter transports the inventory to one of their secured storage facilities.

If you want to retrieve an item in the future, all you need to do is access your Clutter account and select which item you need. Clutter will then deliver the item back to you.

Clutter storage prices

Clutter prices depend significantly upon how many items need to be stored. To get a free quote for the cost of Clutter storage, fill out a brief questionnaire and provide your ZIP code, the size of storage unit you need, how you plan to move your belongings into storage, how long you plan to use the storage unit, and the date you need the storage unit. Review a variety of pickup time options, and if the Clutter price is acceptable, submit your email address.

Please note that Clutter charges a deposit for the first pickup. The first month of storage is charged after pickup, and then billing is automatic. If you ever need to update your billing information, you can easily log in to your Clutter account and update your default for automatic payments.

Clutter security and protection

Clutter automatically provides a Limited Security Warranty Policy that covers possessions up to $1.00 per pound. Additional $1,000 or $2,500 protection plans are available for an extra charge. Be aware that Clutter is only responsible for the items they pack and visually inspect.

Clutter Reviews

Original review: July 10, 2019

Clutter is an amazing company in every way! They arrived on time and within 45 minutes had my daughter’s things all packed up and on their truck to storage. When they quoted me over the phone, and by the way I filled out an application online and within 2 min of hitting send, someone called me right away, I thought this company was too good to be true. It wasn’t expensive and they helped me a great deal with all the heavy items that I wouldn’t have been able to do on my own. They promised and delivered everything they said they would. I am curious to see if I will get the same service when they deliver my daughter’s things to her new dorm. I have a good feeling they will!

Get expert buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I thought the packing up and moving process was too good to be true, and it sort of was... it was a bit arduous and packers were not skilled. I saw them drop a whole stack of my furniture from the truck lift, and cringed, but let it go. When the movers brought my stuff back, of course, a lot of stuff was broken. The good thing was, they were very good about reimbursing anything that broke at whatever the going cost was of the product. I got replies back from almost everything except the last item, but I figured I waited too long (almost 3 weeks after the move in before I found it was broken), and it was very hard to show by a photo at the lamp switch was jammed and couldn't be turned on. Fortunately not of my items were extremely expensive. For the price I paid, I don't think anyone could find a comparable service.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I have had two great experiences. First I had a show set that needed storage and they were prompt to pick up and help pack up the set. It's a real cost saver in terms of bodies needed, rental and storage costs. Storage costs are reasonable. Second I had them pack up my apartment and I wasn't sure how big a storage space I needed but they were honest and put me in a smaller space which was such a great rate. Plus I like the pictures that I can see of my stuff. I recommend to everyone!!

Original review: July 2, 2019

Genuinely the best service I've ever received anywhere. Lately I've been talking about how bad service has gotten... in restaurants, retail stores, everywhere. But Clutter not only met my high expectations, they exceeded them. I worked with three separate teams on three different occasions and each team was extremely polite, highly efficient, exceptionally organized and just absolutely as nice as could be. I've honestly never been more impressed with a service. They wrapped my items far better than I ever could. They were fast and conscientious.

When I had my items delivered, there was no damage whatsoever. And the amount of bubble wrap protecting every single item was beyond what I would have used myself. They were so careful taking furniture out and delivering it to my new home. No scratches, bumps or dings on walls. And even when I changed my mind and asked to move an item to a different room, they didn't grumble or roll their eyes. They said, "Of course, happy to!" I especially enjoyed having a couple females on the crews to show my daughter that girls can do anything guys can! I have referred Clutter many times and would trust them with anything. Thanks for making my pre-move and final move so easy and carefree!

Original review: July 2, 2019

Each experience with the Clutter team has always been positive. The drivers/movers are very kind. They take great care in packing and moving furniture as if it is their own. The Customer Service Team is very polite and helpful when calling in with questions/concerns. One Criticism: Since I am from NY and your Customer Service Team is in CA, it is not possible to speak to someone in Customer Service when I am expecting a delivery at 7am NY Time because it is only 4AM CA time. If there were some way to bridge that gap and make someone available in CA that would be helpful. Perhaps you can add instructions on the recording that says "If you are calling our office outside of our business hours, please call our dispatch department at the following telephone number". Just a suggestion. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?

Original review: March 1, 2020

STAY CLEAR OF CLUTTER. I have never written a negative review or filed a complaint with any agency regarding a business; however, this experience was beyond anything I could have imagined. When Clutter came to pick up my items almost 2 years ago, they did an excellent job. I was so impressed I referred several people to them. I requested certain items a few times and they delivered them on time and without any problems.

In January 2020 I requested that all of my belongings be returned to me. One of the two men that delivered the items went from being very kind and helpful to extremely rude and somewhat abusive within a moment's time. I asked them to place the boxes against a wall with the labels showing so I would know what was in each box. Obviously, that was too much to ask as there were boxes everywhere. He was going to leave my Chattam & Wells ($6000 to replace) mattress, box spring and frame against the wall which was wrapped in heavy duty plastic. I asked him to please place them on the frame for me and I thought he was going to lose it, telling me they do not do that. Seriously? I am a disabled senior.

When they left, the first thing I wanted to do was make the bed. I was mortified to find dust and filth covering the entire mattress as well as black marks and holes in the box spring, which they packed. The brand-new carpet in the bedroom was tracked with black footprints. Several collector items were broken. The armoire was majorly scratched and the crown molding was broken ($2000 to replace). An irreplaceable Antique Glass and Metal Industrial Pendant Light Fixtures 24 x 24, (from, I think, The Brown Derby or somewhere similar no longer in business) which they packed was destroyed.

Inside of probably 25% of the sealed boxes was disgusting dust and filth. The exterior of all the boxes were covered in filth. Among other items, I am missing a steam cleaner which they said was delivered and which was not, or I guess the steam cleaner decided to walk out of my place on its own. Clutter had/has no regard for my belongings, neglected to provide clean, safe storage and hires incompetent people with a complete lack of customer service. For all of this I was reimbursed $1106 which is completely unacceptable as this was due to their negligence.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

This was the easiest storage solution. We were first going to rent a pod with all the back-breaking labor to load it ourselves. But we discovered CLUTTER online. Boy, what a relief! We ordered the pickup (FREE by the way) and they came on the scheduled day and time. They wrapped the furniture (2 couches and an ottoman) and put it on their truck (no labor on our part) and away it went. The cost is much less than the pod solution or even renting a storage locker. This is the only way to do it!

Resolution response: Feb. 19, 2020

Clutter has contacted me and given me a refund of 314 to offset the 186 for my latest claim of my KitchenAid mixer and le creuset Dutch oven. They have given me the extra 314 so I may file a claim through Mercy insurance to cover the rest of the damages. I have yet to go through all my boxes... if there is more damage there is nothing more clutter can do. I do respect Sirena for his customer service but still recommend against using clutter. The money cannot replace my sentimental belongings and my antiques.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

IF I COULD GIVE NEGATIVE STARS I WOULD!!! PEOPLE NEED TO BE AWARE!!! WARNING!!!! WARNING!!!! PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. SO MUCH DAMAGE!!!! I used Clutter in July 2019. I had my stuff with them at their Fontana location until 1/2020. When I saw my boxes I was in shock!! Almost all my boxes were crushed and looked like they had been thrown. My husband's tools just thrown in boxes... If you like your belongings please avoid this company. I wish they could be held liable in court for all the damage they have caused to me and to others. I'm am appalled at how they treat their customers items.

Upon receiving my items I noticed that I had some damage property. Among the property I had damaged was a vintage 1950s Metz made dresser worth well over 1,500. My set combined was worth well over $4000. Now that my dresser is damaged it makes my set worth nothing. I had to go buy a whole new set. This antique is irreplaceable. The item was completely destroyed the front of the dresser cracked into pieces. I had furniture repair people come take a look at it and they told me that there was really no way to fix it and make it 100% that the item was not worth anything anymore. I also had damage to my very expensive nice farm style kitchen table I also had damage to some bookshelves.

Upon opening boxes I came across two crushed iPads amongst dishes. I tried to file a claim for the iPads and they told me since clutter did not pack the boxes they would not file a claim. I opened a box today clutter did pack and found my heirloom blender that my deceased grandmother left me totally crushed and pieces smashed in. This was a KitchenAid stand alone mixer. Totally solid and heavy. It is trash. I contacted (Clutter) and they gave me a pay out for my dresser, my kitchen table and my treadmill that they damaged. My payout was $2300. Clutter only gives you a max payout of $2500 even though you pay a monthly insurance through them.

I tried to file a claim for my two broken iPad but they told me since Clutter didn't pack them they wouldn't honor my claim. So tell me (Clutter) how would all my other boxes full of glass and stuff looked as your team packed it. Their customer service is great but their insurance policy is terrible. Their movers are terrible and their storage is terrible. I would never ever ever recommend this company. The damage they have caused my furniture, and my belongings, some of which is irreplaceable and sentimental is unacceptable. I'm absolutely devastated my vintage furniture is now worthless. I can not even have it fixed.

I have spoken With customer service but since I'm almost at my max out coverage they told me to go through my insurance policy on my home. Well my insurance policy has a $500 deductible which clutter will not pay so now I have to pay my own money to have things fixed that clutter broke. I cannot even explain how upset I am. I know items are just things but that's not the point. It's how they are treated and the policy under clutter.

If any owners of clutter or reading this you guys really need to fix your insurance policies. It's not right that you guys only pay out $2500 for boxes upon boxes of damage stuff. My boxes came back to me crushed. It look like they had been thrown. Please do not use this company. Absolutely awful. I still have more boxes to open. UPDATE: clutter is giving me only 80 for my mixer. Those are well over 200. My mixer isn't usable at all. Unbelievable!!! and 106 for my Le Creuset Dutch oven. Those are also over 200.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I have used 6-8 different storage and moving companies over last 4 years as I move several times a year between NYC and LA. Clutter has been my poorest experience.

1.) Movers showed up with zero moving blankets to wrap furniture. They indicated was an effort to save money for the company. Movers stated they would tie down furniture in truck to try to avoid damage during transport. Out of desperation I cut up and used all my personal comforters and blankets to wrap some of my antique furniture. These were not professional movers. I had to re-pack a lot of their work. And watch them closely in my apartment building hallways out of concern for damage and liability they may cause me. Stressful experience.

2.) Less than a year of using them my rental price went up by $50 per month with less than 30 days notification.

3.) Trying to get through to company and unable too.

4.) I was promised a $75 Amazon gift card as a new customer and never received.

Do not use this company no matter what special pricing they offer you or how desperate you are. There are many competitor companies who offer the same services. I was trying to be cheap versus who I had used in the past and had a decent experience with (makespace.com and other full-service moving and storage companies).

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

If you have anything of value, do not use Clutter. Their movers are untrained. They don’t know how to wrap. My $3000 bed was destroyed, expensive furniture dinged, an heirloom lamp broken (come to find, it wasn’t even placed in bubble wrap). An entire hard drive destroyed... They don’t reimburse beyond $1000 and don’t care about their own role in destroying items. Instead, I felt belittled when they sent me contracts that I signed accepting the risk. I’m sorry but I have moved many times.. I know about service... Never has anyone blamed me for their mistakes in such a way. This is the reason why they won’t succeed over time. Their mistakes and lack of accountability will add up. Do not use their movers if you think you have more than $1000 worth of valuable items.

Clutter customer service

Most scheduling and rescheduling is completed through the Clutter website. If you have further logistical questions, you can call Clutter customer service number any day of the week, from Monday to Friday, 6:00–6:00 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 a.m–5:00 p.m., PT.

Clutter FAQ

Do I have to sign a contract to store with Clutter?
    Yes. However, all Clutter storage agreements are month-to-month.
    What items are prohibited at Clutter storage?
    Clutter company policy prohibits certain items, like liquids, perishable food items, living creatures, hazardous materials, some types of pianos, pool tables and vehicles. A detailed list of Clutter prohibited items can be found on their Terms of Service.
    Is Clutter responsible for packing delicate items and valuables?
    Clutter can only ensure delicate or valuable items are packed safely with the additional Clutter Plus service. If you don’t have Clutter Plus, then it is your responsibility to pack your delicate belongings correctly.
    Can Clutter store my belongings for a month or less?
    All Clutter storage contracts are month-to-month. You can store items at a Clutter warehouse for less than a month, but Clutter will not prorate the cost.
    Can Clutter dispose of or donate my unwanted items?
    No, Clutter will not dispose of or donate unwanted items at this time.
    Should I tip Clutter movers?
    Only if you want to — Clutter moving specialists appreciate tips, but tipping is not required.
    Can I visit my things in Clutter storage?
    No, Clutter storage facilities are not open to the public. However, you can schedule the delivery of your items at any time.
    What happens if I move outside of the Clutter service areas?
    Clutter does not provide shipping services but can help to facilitate the relocation of clients’ belongings anywhere.
    Does Clutter charge a late fee for overdue payments?
    Yes, Clutter charges a 15% fee if a payment is more than 30 days late.
    How much does Clutter storage cost?
    Clutter storage rates vary by size and location, but the average Clutter storage cost is $150–$250 per month.
    Does Clutter charge a deposit?
    Yes, Clutter charges a deposit for first-time pickups. The specific amount will be in the confirmation email sent before your pickup date.

Do we recommend Clutter?

Yes, Clutter storage company is a smart choice for those who live in an area where their services are available. Professional moving and storage specialists take a digital inventory of all their clients’ belongings to eliminate confusion. Plus, Clutter storage facilities are closed to the public and monitored with 24/7 motion-sensor cameras, so you know your most valuable or sentimental items are safe.

Clutter Company Information