3.4/5 (278 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Taylor Sansano
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Clutter

Clutter uses its proprietary, end-to-end technology to offer convenient moving and storage services, including a Smart Storage option where it handles depositing and withdrawing your items for you. Clutter also focuses on your digital experience, allowing you to schedule services, check your storage inventory and manage your move online. However, it only operates in parts of California, New Jersey, New York and Washington, and available services vary by market.

Pros

• Smart Storage with pickup and delivery
  • Month-to-month storage available
  • Discounts for longer commitments
  • Optional packing service

Cons

• Not available everywhere
  • Smart Storage has extra fees

Bottom Line

Clutter focuses on full-service convenience when it comes to moving and storage, but you can also do some of the work yourself. However, service areas are limited, and storage pickups and deliveries cost extra.

Clutter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?

Resolution response: May 5, 2022

Amelia contacted me and offered a more reasonable amount for the damage to the bedframe. Happier now.

Original review: May 5, 2022

I had left Seattle for another state in early 2020 and stored my entire apartment with a company called MakeSpace. Pickup of my stuff was simple and everything went smoothly. Costs per month were low until 2022 when Clutter merged with MakeSpace. First the cost of storage increased nearly 60% on the same amount of space. Then when I decided I was paying too much and had my items delivered the real problems began. My solid wood bedframe leg was broken in half upon receipt of my items. My mattress looked like it had been sitting in a machine shop. One mattress cover was torn and they added a second cover, but dirt and grime already covered the mattress. There was black soot on almost all of my items and every large item had significant scuffs and scratches. They forgot a single item in the delivery and only notified me the day of delivery at which point I had to make a second appointment and pay even more money to get my last item back.

On top of all of this the compensation they give for broken items is the worst I've ever seen. Their "Basic" plan only covers $1 per lb of item so for a $1300 bed frame I was only offered $130. This is a massive farce and this company should not be in business. Do not use their service. Just go get a storage locker somewhere or try to use a friend's house.

Hi Wade,

I’m glad we were able to resolve this for you. We hope you have a great rest of your weekend!

Original review: May 5, 2022

The movers showed up on time, which was a good start. They'd quoted me 4-6 hours to pack up a 1 bed, 1 bath apartment. From there, things went downhill incredibly fast. 6 hours into the move they hadn't even finished the bedroom. This bedroom had 1 bed, 2 pieces of art, 2 chairs, and a rug. 1 of the 3 person team disappeared 2 hours into the job and they were fighting amongst each other the entire time. Lot of weed smoking outside going on. We began to get worried as we had a flight to catch the next morning. 8 hours in, they'd begun to dismantle all of our furniture in our living room.

They seemed to have found the missing team members, and began moving our things outside.... some into the truck, some in the alley where they parked the truck. then, THEY LEFT. They didn't tell us, they didn't give us a heads, they left our belongings in our common hallways in front of neighbors doors, outside in the alley, and left! We, like hundreds of others, are of course suing them. I guess knowing they won't be in business in a year (investors backing out, losing money fast under poor management) makes me feel a little better... but avoid at all costs. Good idea that cant be executed.

Hi Shane,

The Clutter Team

Original review: May 4, 2022

Clutter outsources its business development to high-pressure sales companies who promise anything to sign-up customers, since that's how they are paid. However, those terms will not be honored. In my family's case, we were offered a sign-up bonus, a fixed monthly fee with unlimited pickups and drop-offs. We were also promised the Movers would pack our belongings. Clutter made good on exactly NONE of the above conditions. Our free two months sign on turned into $10 off. Our monthly fees DOUBLED after three months and (just now went up again after six months). In addition, the unlimited pickups and drops are now $200 each. That's right, $200!. Clutter is a struggling startup with a gross negative margin business model they cannot sustain, so raping customers is their business model now. Avoid bait and switch, fakery and stick to an offline moving company.

Hi Joe,

The Clutter Team

Original review: April 30, 2022

I was extremely disappointed to get an email this past week with ANOTHER rate increase after being promised by the customer support management team just back in November 2021 that this would NOT happen again for at least another year. Now 5 months later, I am getting another rate hike of $30 a month in addition the $14 a month in November 2021, bringing my total rate hikes to $44 more this year, an increase of 31% in one year. That’s ridiculous. Especially after a promise from THEIR team this would not happen again – I don’t care about a merger, Clutters/MakeSpaces decision to purchase another company is your call, not to be paid for by your customer.

I have had my stuff in long term storage for almost 3 years and haven’t touched it once or used any of your other services, and now you are going to lose a low service customer who you would have continued to profit off of for another 5-10 or more years as I am living in South America with my wife and daughter. Clutter/MakeSpace has gone downhill, extremely disappointed. 3 Years ago this company was innovating in the moving space, amazing customer support team with a customer first mentality, and now they have turned into the typical greedy corporate American company that lies to and cheats/nickel and dimes their customers. Whatever they promise you up front, trust me, it's too good to be true.

Hello Drew,

We are glad our Trust & Safety Team was able to get in contact with you. As a result, we were able to work towards a resolution. We hope we have been able to change your experience.

Resolution response: May 5, 2022

I had some trouble with a lost box at Clutter, but their Customer Service was on it and dedicated to helping resolve all the issues and meet my expectations on my claims. Definitely a relief that they were able to work with me.

Original review: April 28, 2022

Beware: Clutter has really been a nightmare to work within many aspects. They mistreat your stuff, they might lose your items, and payment for lost or damaged items is a bad joke! I closed my account and they wanted to hit me with upwards of $400 to deliver my belongings and close out my account. After Complaining They settled for their old policies which reduced the price.

When they were going to deliver my belongings they advised they lost one of my boxes. I filed a claim for the lost box. When everything arrived, many cardboard boxes containing precious vinyl and computer equipment were so bumped up and broken, it revealed how awful they treat your stuff. I'm still assessing how many items are damaged. Worst of all, they want to compensate me with only $50 for my lost box, When it's worth well over $500 plus there's a bunch of personal work that I was storing in my hard drives and Dat tapes they lost. If you are thinking of using them to store your stuff.. Be careful with them, they treat your items horribly, and you are out of luck if they lose your stuff and you don't buy their extra insurance.

Hi Danny,

The Clutter Team

Original review: April 25, 2022

My husband and I, as well as my daughter, utilized this company, which was formerly MakeSpace to store furniture for a period of time. The company recently changed hands and the fee structure changed significantly. When we first decided to take advantage of their services the fees were reasonable and it seemed quite easy to have furniture brought back and added to the storage unit. However, after 2 years of storage and several thousand dollars for storage, we decided to have the items returned to us. This is where the nightmare began.

First of all, they demanded $800+ dollars to return the merchandise to us and also said they couldn't do it in a timely fashion, which would result in additional storage fees to us. We were able to negotiate a reasonable return time and fee for return of the items, but for both my husband and myself, as well as my daughter, there were items lost as well as several major items broken.

Today we received a text message stating that they found a few of the items and were returning them to us. When they delivered the items, I discussed our situation with the delivery people and they were very apologetic. We were never compensated for any of the missing and broken items, even though we put in a claim for them. From what I understand, that is par for the course for other customers also and the amount of lost and broken merchandise is phenomenal.

From what I can glean from reviews I've seen online, the company has a great team of service people who can pick up the items and deliver them back to the consumer and they get a 5 star rating, but once the merchandise gets to the warehouse, it's anything goes and the rating once returned goes down to 1 or none. Our delivery people stated that the company is undergoing an overhaul and the new management is trying to rectify the problems of the past. I do hope this is true. The employees that interact with the public seem to take care of the property of their customers, but they have no control over the employees who actually store the items. The management of the company has to dive deep to resolve the issues that occur once it gets to their facility or this company won't be in business for the long term.

Hi Maureen,

We truly apologize for the negative experience you’ve had, and we’d like to connect with you to try and resolve this issue for you. We were unable to locate your account based on your information here, so please send us a message through your Clutter account portal to get in touch with the Trust & Safety Team.

Original review: April 20, 2022

I had a unit years ago for several months and stopped paying it and instead of these thieves closing my account and selling, trading, tossing, my item they kept my account open (even though I wasn't paying the thieves anything and are trying to charge me over $2,000 for a service I did not want nor was paying for). They won't let me pick up the items that I didnt want until I pay for the service that I didn't ask for. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID.

Hi J,

We are sorry to hear that are dissatisfied that we didn't auction or close your account when you stopped payment. We would be happy to look into this further for you but we are unable to locate your account based on this information. Please send a message through your account portal asking for Trust & Safety and we will reach out.

Original review: April 20, 2022

Clutter destroyed/damaged and/or lost 80% of the items I stored with them. While they have acknowledge their fault in the damage, they have not provided adequate (or reasonable) compensation. Buyer beware!

Hi Antonio,

We are sorry to hear that you experienced damage and are dissatisfied with the offers made regarding your claims. As a member of the Trust & Safety team is already in contact with you regarding the damage, we will continue the existing communication.

Original review: April 20, 2022

I was a MakeSpace customer and was satisfied with their service, then the company merged with Clutter and I had the worst customer service experience. First, I received emails to use a $30 credit to schedule a move. I believed I qualified because I was in fact a new customer with Clutter. I had tried to use the promo code and couldn't. Since I was moving into a new home, I had to book the appointment for my things to be delivered so that I wouldn't incur a monthly storage fee. I then received an email stating that one of my items, a shoe rack, was delayed.

My items were delivered but I didn't receive an update on the shoe rack. I was, however, charged the monthly storage fee and had emailed customer service in regards to that and the $30 credit. I received no responses but noticed that after about a week, the charge was reversed. However, I still haven't heard back on the $30 credit and my shoe rack. I wouldn't recommend Clutter to anyone given the poor customer service and communication.

Hi Jennifer,

We truly apologize for the negative experience you’ve had and that there have been issues with the communication. We’d like to connect with you to try and resolve this issue for you. We were unable to locate your account based on your information here, so please send us a message through your account portal to get in touch with the Trust & Safety Team.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I do not recommend - I had the worst experience. Not only did they lose my belongings, but when booking an appointment to close out my account they had no options within my billing period. I had to schedule my appointment two days after my billing period and was charged a full month worth of storage as they do not pro rate or offer third party options. Customer service was the worst I have ever experienced. Not only did they raise the costs for service fees and storage during my time, but I was not able to resolve any issues. I believe their business practices are predatory and not worth the headache. Choose any other company.

Hi Alexis,

We apologize for your experience with us thus far. We take pride in storing our customers' items, and any experience that does not demonstrate such care is below the standards we have set as a company. Our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution. We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I was a legacy Makespace customer. I signed up in March of 2015 and have been using them through the different changes that the company went through. The folks who made the deliveries and pickups were wonderful. The pricing was very reasonable. As a legacy customer, my account was only subject to some pricing changes, which was something that the company did not have to do but it was certainly something that made me stick around as a customer instead of lifting my bed up and putting everything under there. I am an apartment dweller who had been looking to store off season belongings, nothing big. Clutter does not offer a plan for customers like me. The smallest plan starts at 5x5, I had not been using the full 2x3 space that I was using before. At 5x5 I was using 7% of the space. Clutter needs smaller plans.

I cannot afford a $70 a month increase so I am having all my things delivered to me (two plastic bins, a small ceramic radiator, and a small window A/C). Because I am having all four things delivered I am being charged an additional $159 to close my account! I have never heard of such a thing! Makespace had a 3 month minimum when I signed up and if a customer canceled before those three months were up the customer was charged a fee but never a fee to just not store stuff anymore. I do not understand why I am paying $159 to no longer store stuff. There is no additional labor for having four items delivered and keeping an account open versus having four items delivered and closing the account. That is just a money grab. I don't mind the increase in delivery fees because the cost of labor and gas has gone up. But I also had to pay $25 to pick a date? I used to be able to just pick a date and a time window with no extra fee.

Now if you don't want to pick a date a customer just has to be available for 3 days? It would have just been cheaper to buy a new A/C at this point. I am so disappointed in these changes. Clutter and Makespace merged because Clutter wanted to get into the NYC market but they clearly do not understand the NYC customer and what type of storage service we are looking for. As a User Experience Researcher, I'm miffed! Anyway, spending at least $300 to get my A/C, crappy heater, and spring/summer clothing back I guess... It is a shame that clutter does not have the same values as Makespace.

Hi Penelope,

We apologize for the experience that you have received. We take pride in storing our customers' items, and any experience that does not demonstrate such care is below the standards we have set as a company. Our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution. We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner.

The Clutter Team

Original review: March 31, 2022

This company is awful. They have all my apt stuff and I just moved into apt and the earliest they can deliver my items to me is 4 weeks from now so I have to use an empty apt until they can get me my stuff since I can’t get it. Terrible company. Terrible business. Wish I could get zero stars How can you market and charge as a full service storage company (happily took $5000 from me over last 18 months) and then take 4 weeks to deliver essential items to your customers. And I can’t even get to them so essentially I’m paying Clutter to keep my items hostage until they can deliver in 4 weeks. Awful awful business and shouldn’t be allowed what they do to customers.

Hi Shane,

Please accept our sincerest apologies for this operational delay. We understand that your things are important to you and we are working to help as much as possible. A member of our Trust & Safety team will be reaching out shortly.

The Clutter Team

Original review: March 19, 2022

This is truly the worst company. I had to choose a delivery date three weeks out. Just hire more people! Then my delivery was delayed by a week, they opened up the delivery window to EIGHT HOURS starting at 7 am, wasted my entire day. Part of my stored furniture is now "delayed." Do not recommend. They are a nightmare and I hope they fail.

Clutter response

Hi Divya, We apologize for the level of service that you have received while attempting to have your items returned. As true with most businesses right now, we are working hard to hire and meet the requests of our customers. However, we do recognize that any experience that does not demonstrate care in service is below the standards we have set as a company. Our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution. We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner. Thank You, The Clutter Team

Original review: March 18, 2022

I have moved 5 times in the last 10 years utilizing local storage and moving companies and Clutter is by far the poorest, most frustrating storage experience I have ever had. They confirmed an appointment for me to pick up all my items for my move and when my movers showed up (you can’t go to the warehouse yourself) the warehouse didn’t have my appointment on the schedule.

The team is so disorganized that they didn’t properly communicate with their own warehouse even though they confirmed several times with me and in turn myself with my moving company. Because they could not retrieve my items I had to pay the movers for the time, push back my whole move and Clutter’s team assured me that because it was their fault I would get the cost covered for the movers time. Well, after going through the claims process that was not the case. I would highly recommend looking into other services or storing yourself. Not worth the stress, disorganization and money.

Hi Lauren,

We sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction you experienced with our service. We have been in correspondence with you via e-mail and will continue to address your concerns and process.

We understand your experience has not met expectations and a member of our Trust & Safety team will be reaching out to assist and ensure we can find a resolution for you.

Kind regards,

Original review: March 18, 2022

The main issue was with the company itself. MakeSpace now called Clutter. They made a total cubic calculation which was incorrect. From the beginning they calculated a larger space than the one I needed, but keep promising that at the end I was going to be charged only for the actuals, which was not the case. After I disputed the final charges, they recalculated the cubic again and said it was less than the original calculation, but still even if I was not using the entire space I was going to be charge for a full lot of space I was not using.

On top of that the company has a lot of restrictions in regards to the items you can storage so I had to do 3 different moves apart from MakeSpace (now called Clutter). On top of that after the move was complete I was charged apart from the storage $300, for over $800 for the moving, considering I had to two other movings to store the items they do not allow. And I always paid regular movers for $400 for the exact same moving, which ended up being extremely expensive and I feel I was mislead during the entire moving experience, so I do not recommend the company.

Laurita,

After review with MakeSpace and Clutter, we have confirmed that you were always eligible for a 10x15 size unit. We have no record via calls or email that indicate you were eligible for a 10x10 or that you would receive a prorated rate for being 80 cubic feet over the 10x10 limit. Since you have been in the appropriate plan size since the ingestion of your items and have a final delivery scheduled, there is nothing to adjust or correct with your account. However, we appreciate you taking the time to speak with us today and provide feedback regarding your time with us. This will absolutely be used to improve the customer experience in the future.

The Clutter Team

Original review: March 15, 2022

DO NOT USE CLUTTER! TERRIBLE SERVICE; REFUSED TO REFUND US FOR ITEMS THEY DAMAGED; AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVES. DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY. Summary: Clutter was terrible to work with, from beginning to end. I paid for their white-glove packing service, they were 24 hours late for my scheduled move, and when my items were returned to me from storage, I came to find that they had packed my fine china, glassware, and silver at the bottom of large wardrobe boxes--with no wrapping-- & heaped heavy ceramic dishes and stainless steel pots and pans on top of them. Several of my items were destroyed. In spite of filing claims through their site and reaching-out to customer service repeatedly, they have refused to reimburse me on the basis of a predatory company policy (detailed below).

Full story: I initially hired Clutter in May 2021 to pack & store the contents of my apartment (white glove service). This service includes all packing materials, along with several movers to pack the items by hand. I made the reservation weeks in advance to secure the earliest morning slot, which was critical to accommodate the move-out procedure in my building. The day of the move, the movers arrived more than 7 hours late. They had no boxes or moving supplies with them, the crew was short by one person, and they had no room on their truck for our belongings.

They had no idea what to do when they showed up at the apartment. After I spent hours trying to get ahold of a human being in customer service (it's almost impossible to get someone from Clutter on the phone), Clutter informed me that they would not be able to accommodate our move at all that day. Our reservation was for 7 AM that morning--by the time I finally spoke to someone, it was after 5 PM. Our building management office was closed & we were put in a precarious position of having our movers show up the following day without an elevator reservation.

While they did give us a nominal refund for the inconvenience (a few hundred dollars' off our monthly storage fee), we could never have imagined the havoc they would continue to wreak... We scheduled a delivery of all of our items/boxes in February 2022. We had to arrange for movers to pick-up our goods at the Clutter warehouses in New Jersey and move them to Austin, TX. Clutter does not offer long-haul moving, nor do they allow you to retrieve your boxes at their warehouse sites without an insured mover. Therefore, the only way to receive your items outside of their delivery radius is to hire a third-party mover.

When our movers arrived in TX I began unpacking and immediately realized Clutter's "packing professionals" had placed fragile items--including fine china, glass stemware, silver--at the bottom of large wardrobe boxes, with essentially no protective wrapping. They then packed heavy pots and pans and ceramic dishes ON TOP of these fragile items. Naturally, several items were destroyed. I immediately called Clutter customer service when I saw the first of the damage and explained how poorly the items had been packed--emphasizing that the damage had nothing to do with how the movers handled the boxes, and everything to do with how the boxes were packed.

The customer service representative told me to unpack everything as quickly as possible to limit further damage, and to carefully photograph/document the damage so that I could file claims on the Clutter site for reimbursement. I proceeded to unpack, and was in awe of how carelessly the Clutter team had packed many items. In addition to the kitchen items, $2000 dollar lamps were placed in a box with no wrapping and, unsurprisingly, the electrical components were broken off of the base of the lamps.

I carefully documented the damage, uploaded each individual claim, & provided links to where the items are available for purchase online to establish a fair market value for reimbursement. After filing my claims, I received an automatic response from Clutter informing me that my claims were denied, on the following basis:

"In order to be eligible for reimbursement under (ii) or (iii), you must timely notify Clutter of any applicable damage while Clutter personnel remain present during or after the performance of services. Clutter shall have the right to decrease or deny reimbursement to the extent that your or a third party's negligence or willful act contributed to the claimed damage."

I immediately disputed, explaining to customer service representatives that the damage was entirely due to how the boxes were packed. There was no way for my movers to know about the damage when they picked-up the boxes, because the boxes were sealed. Hence, there was no way to inform Clutter of the damage with a Clutter representative present--making the policy predatory in nature. Customer service representatives acknowledged these facts yet have repeatedly refused to reimburse me for the items. Moving is stressful enough -- avoid Clutter at all costs!

Resolution response: March 29, 2022

They contacted me to solve the problem. They couldn't change the storage size because the mover didn't measure correctly at the beginning and the items will not fit in smaller storage. They gave me a $195. I wanted to give 5 star for the customer service I got to fix this issue but overall I give 3 stars for this company.

Original review: March 12, 2022

We were promised 10x10 storage and the mover measured our items and told us it will fit in 10x10. We had to take out some of items and get a second storage. Then we noticed they charged us for 10x15. They said it didn't fit in 10x10 so they upgrade it to 10x15 and charged us more. There is no way you can see the storage place. They don't let you go there. We ended up paying for 2 places one is half empty. It is very hard to contact the manager and customer service asks us to write a claim and the reply is the same. Not happy at all with their service.

Hi Sanaz,

We are sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with your experience regarding your plan upgrade. As a result, our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution. We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

I have never had a worse experience with a business than I did with Clutter. What I thought would be a convenient and innovative way of storing your belongings turned into a nightmare. It started with Clutter taking 8 hours to move 80 or so items out of a very small and minimalist apartment (that included 3 pieces of real furniture, some small/medium boxes, suitcases, and sports gear). That pleasure cost me 850 USD. Then, after few months my monthly rate increased out of nowhere to account for "market changes"... too bad the employees who actually do the packing/unpacking got 0 dollars raise and the rate increase went to who knows whose pocket.

Next, the advertised 9 dollars to retrieve your item any time, is not really 9 dollars. I had to pay 84 dollars to get one small item back - my stuff was basically held hostage by clutter. When I was ready to get my stuff back, I tried making an appointment but guess what... clutter offers one appointment a day and all of the slots were taken for month in advance. Meaning I could not get my things for another month due to what I am assuming is a labor shortage and lack of availability and had to stay in an Airbnb for the time being to have a bed to sleep on. Airbnb (2,500USD) + another month of clutter (273 USD) is not something I budgeted for.

On the storage drop off day, it took two full grown man 2 hours (so 4 labor hours) to offload the 80 items out of their track. 2 hours to carry things 15 yards from the street to inside of the house. The cherry on top was getting charged 25USD in "preferred scheduling" - which is a charge you pay when you select a specific date for getting your stuff delivered instead of opting out for a multi day delivery window. Do yourself a favor and go the old fashioned route - hire movers and get a regular storage unit to which you can actually go to if needed. NEVER AGAIN CLUTTER. NEVER AGAIN.

Hi Anna,

We apologize for your experience, as we pride ourselves on providing a hassle-free service to our customers. Based on your Release Agreement, you’ve agreed to the charges of your first onboarding service charges and your final return fee.

Rate adjustments are a standard industry practice. However, we do have discounts available for customers who qualify, as we do not take implementing rate adjustments lightly.

Our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

This was hands down the worst move I've EVER experienced. The beginning was ok but as they progressed, the head person Chase or something comes and tells me that in order to take my bed and tv down he needed tools and wait for it... THEY FORGOT the tools! My neighbor steps in and offers hers- of course they did not thank her. Then they discovered that they needed an allen wrench that they also did not have- my daughter in law went to her house and get hers. Now at this time, packing has stopped- she comes back, and they let her unscrew the tv and my bed as I was not in the room. Then they decide to take over an hour and twenty-minute lunch (for which I have proof- but he just discounted ALL of it) and just threw the rest of my items in my garage.

Now let's talk about the damage that was done!!! They scratched and scoffed up the walls and then they offer me $100 for 4 walls! The claim that I had originally put in was $325.00, which they approved and then took back! Where does this happen at? The damage done to my personal property was worse. Once they "viewed" my photos, they dumbed it down to minor damages. My headboard, foot board, 2 dressers, a brand new samsung soundbar.

Now get this- of course it's in the fine print- but if you don't buy an expensive upgrade protection plan- they only pay you $1 per pound you can imagine what they are proposing for my claim. Then once they got tired (which I am not sure how they were tired after taking almost 1- and 1/2-hour lunch break) oh it was getting close to quitting time- they did not set other bed up, did not put my already labeled boxes in the correct rooms, and it took me over 30 minutes to find my tv in the garage! Once they "finished" I saw the post documents and was floored!

The cost was $2043.00 for a 3-bedroom apartment to a house and get this- one bedroom they didn't even touch! I was quoted at max $1700 and even that was a lot. I refused to sign until the bill was explained. With that being said, they literally suspended my account for my storage items. Even while "suspended" they still managed to charge me for Feb rent. I wanted my storage delivered on my move date the 29th of Jan. I am disgusted by Tiffany- customer svc rep who told me to wait and pay once bill had been clarified. Michelangelo for making promises and not keeping them. Just this whole incompetent company and its staff. This company is HORRIBLE. Please choose another moving company because while you think you are getting a deal- you are not! They charged me $462 to go 0.3 miles between point A and point B! And their reasoning- in the state of California we can charge double hourly rate for driving.

Hi Tarra,

We apologize for the level of service that you have received while storing with us. We take pride in carefully storing our customers' items, and any experience that does not demonstrate such care is below the standards we have set as a company.

As a result, our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution. We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner. Thank you.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

My wife and I used Clutter to store a few things for a property that we rent out. We scheduled a pickup for 2 items to be picked up and placed into storage with the instructions around coordinating the move with our current tenants. 4 months later we realized that our bill had almost doubled as we had been automatically moved to a larger unit to accommodate the newly added items.

To our surprise, we realized that our tenants had requested several additional items be placed into storage with the onsite movers and this was done without any coordination or confirmation from my wife or I (the account owners). This explained (at first) the additional items that warranted the larger storage unit. We simply passed the additional charge to our tenants and thought that was settled.

Fast forward 6 months and it turns out one of the items placed in storage (without our permission) was a $3000 sleeper sofa. (side-note: My tenants are young couple that is paying $4500/month for a fully furnished home and has never been late with a payment in 2 years. Translation - they don't need to steal a used sofa.) A sofa that Clutter is now claiming to have no record of. Note that this is despite the manifest referencing 4 undescribed items totaling 214 cubic ft! Thus since THEY can't find it, they are now refusing to respect the claim.

Summary:
Allowed additional items to be stored without expressed consent or validation.
Automatically up-charged us based on the newly received items that were (again) unauthorized!
Incorrectly recorded the items moved in the manifest.

Denied the lost item claim even while unable to explain the 4 undescribed items in the signed manifest.

Lesson:

Watch Clutter like a hawk. Validate every picked-up item after it has been picked up or dropped off, take your own pictures of the items being picked up. Capture the names of your movers. Take a photo of the truck after all the items are placed in it (apparently, they use this as some sort of evidence that the items can't POSSIBLY be stolen since they don't appear in the picture that the movers took in-between location stops).

NOTE - I must say the call-center rep I worked with was understanding but seemed surprised I suggested my sofa was stolen (as if that is some wildly unreasonable assertion).

Hi Jonathan,

We apologize for any inconvenience related to this investigation. We understand that your tenants, the appointment contacts for this day, sent items to your storage without your permission and are claiming that the sofa was one of these items.

We have completed a thorough internal investigation into your claim, which includes checking photos of the contents of the truck after pickup, and location data of our truck on this day, and can confirm that Clutter did not handle this sofa.

We recognize that our information is different than the perspective that is being shared with you and while we don’t have any insight into the reasoning, we can confirm that Clutter did not handle this sofa.

We also recognize that an incorrect measurement of an item picked up that day led to an incorrect plan size. We do apologize for this, and when this was brought to our attention, we corrected it immediately through a substantial refund to you.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I was told certain. Items would be disassembled and moved. I called to verify and was told that. When movers came, I was told they couldn’t disassemble my gym. Then when I got the bill it was 3x what I was quoted. I was told by their own employees that this happens all the time and customer service provides the wrong info. They also dropped one of my boxes and didn’t open to see if they had damaged anything. This company is bait and switch and I would never recommend them to anyone.

Clutter response

Hi Vanessa. We truly apologize for the negative experience you’ve had, and we’d like to connect with you to try and resolve this issue for you. We were unable to locate your account based on your information here, so please send us a message through your account portal to get in touch with the Trust & Safety Team. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

The app did not save my new number. I got charged 100 fee And had rescheduled my pick up. I try to Customer service but they could not help me. Their prices for coming and picking up things are ridiculous.

Hi Angela,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the experience that you described. Per our terms of service, a $100 fee is assessed for situations where an appointment is canceled within 48 hours of the appointment start time, or in your case, onsite.

It sounds like there are some extenuating circumstances that we would like to investigate further. We have sent an email to try and help work on this with you.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I first changed to Clutter about three years ago, when they offered free pickups and deliveries. I had been using MakeSpace, which had changed their fees for pickups and deliveries to outrageous amounts. But a year later, Clutter started charging similarly outrageous amounts for pickups and deliveries. During a move, several floor lamps "disappeared." I filed a claim and they said that since the lamps hadn't been logged, they weren't responsible, and denied the claim. Latest experience: I asked them to get a desktop computer out of storage and ship it for me. They said they didn't have a box that would would fit it and refused to deal with it. Customer Service is almost non-existent, and if you can get through to them at all, they are arrogant and rude. Definitely an outfit to avoid.

Randall,

A member of our Trust & Safety team has reached out with a potential resolution via email yesterday. This email also outlined the reasoning behind the pricing structure that took effect after you were already a loyal customer of Clutter. While we cannot change the pricing structure for our customers as a whole, we are willing to work with you on the denial of your lamps. Please refer to this email communication with the offer and explanations for your list of concerns.

We appreciate you bringing all of these issues to our attention and hope that you find this resolution satisfactory.

Resolution response: Nov. 23, 2021

The company reached out to me and we found a fair and reasonable solution!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

They lost several thousands of dollars worth of items, and when I attempted to file a claim, they didn't give me fair value for the items. Instead, they said that I'd get "$1/lb" which is just absolutely absurd, and infuriating. Over the two years that I had things stored with them, they lost a total of 10+ items, which is just absolutely unacceptable. When I was trying to close my account and I asked them to donate the items that I no longer wanted, they make you arrange the details, rather than simply doing it on your behalf. Clearly, their legal team have taken over the company, at the expense of customer service. Don't store anything with this company if you care about ever getting it back.

Hello Joshua,

We'd first like to offer our apologies for the experience you had while using our services.

We were able to successfully dispose of the remaining items in storage for you per your request. Your claims were evaluated based on the Protection Plan you have on your account. However, we do understand you were unhappy with your claim offer. A member of our Trust and Safety team will be reaching out to you shortly to discuss this matter further.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

DO NOT USE CLUTTER. I have submitted claims, and have more to complete (movers broke unique pottery and scratched art because they didn't use bubble paper on all framed pieces). This morning, I submitted a claim for a wood framed/vintage mirror which was damaged (chipped) during the move, and included Uber receipts for my ride there and back from the place which replaced my mirror for me. Clutter would not reimburse me, which is ridiculous - it was part of the process of me fixing the mirror. It was too large and cumbersome to bring on the subway, and I live in NYC. The disclaimers they say I received only covers damaged items. So if you use Clutter, and they break or damage a piece of furniture, let's say it's heavy or cumbersome (they also broke my bed frame, and it arrived with missing pieces), they will not pay for anything but the repair (which in their mind does not include transport).

The movers were very careless with my things. They also showed up to both my move out and move into a new building without masks, though Clutter will text you to wear yours. They sent two moving trucks for the first part of my move, instead of one. One of the movers got into a fight with my super as my super asked him to park off the curb and not block the entrance to my building. Bed frame, art, pottery and a mirror were all damaged. I could go on. It was not a good experience working with Clutter at all.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

At first, I was impressed by Clutter and their “tech company” approach to moving and storage. But when my handmade, solid wood bed frame came back broken, I felt differently. Their customer service spent a lot of time doing textbook customer service, telling me they understand my frustration, but how far does that get anyone? Avoid this company.

Ian,

We’re truly sorry to hear about your experience, and we apologize for the inconvenience at this time. Our goal is to safely transport and store your items. You are more than welcomed to file a claim for this to be reviewed by our Trust and Safety team.

Please feel free to reach out to us via your message portal through your account. We’d love to investigate this further and see how we can make your Clutter experience a better one.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

I used Clutter for moving and storage. It seemed like the most convenient option since they could take care of both my moving and storage needs… or so I thought. While the moving part went smoothly for the most part (took a couple of hours longer than they estimated), when it came time to get some of my things, it’s turned into a nightmare.

I moved far outside their coverage area but fully expected to access some of my things when I drove back up. Long story short, there is no convenient way to access my items. They do not allow their customers anywhere near their warehouse (sketchy!). Their policy makes absolutely no sense since they will allow movers of my choosing to pick them up at the warehouse. They also provide an option to have something shipped to a location but there’s a catch… there is a cost (per item!) and if they’re shipping outside their service area, they’ll use FedEx, which is cost prohibitive for anything heavy or oversized (like a wardrobe box).

They never disclosed how difficult it would be to access my stuff, nor did they mention there would be such a high cost to retrieve them. It’s like they’re double dipping since they already get you for a monthly fee. It’s not hyperbole to say what they’re doing is extortion; they not only charge you a monthly fee to hold your stuff, but they will hold it hostage unless you pay them exorbitant fees to get your stuff back. Stay away from this company. It’s not worth the hassle and expense. Use a good moving company and a real storage facility that has customer friendly policies (ie, freely access your things at no additional cost).

Hello Sonny,

We're very sorry to hear that Clutter did not meet up to your expectations. We understand that the process has not been accomodating to you at this time. Our Smart Storage is a unique service that allows our movers to do all the work for our customers. All details outlining our services and fees are found in the Release Agreement you've signed with us.

We were unable to locate your account based on your profile name. Please send us a message through your account portal requesting to speak to our Trust and Safety department to discuss this further.

We appreciate you voicing your concerns, and we hope to hear from you soon.

Warm regards,

The Clutter Team

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I hired Clutter to store my home furniture for a few months while I was traveling and between permanent residences. The packing was a bit of overkill with shrink wrap, bubble wrap and boxing of every little thing. I appreciated that they were taking good care of my items, but felt like it was unnecessarily extending the time (charge by the hours). Upon moving back in, I was told that their policy was to not dispose of any of the packing materials that were used. I ended up with a whole truckload of bubble wrap, tape and boxes. Despite their cautiousness, many of my boxes were crushed and mutilated upon delivery and several glass items were broken inside.

The more frustrating point is that they broke the legs off my couch while moving out and could not replace them when moving back in. The movers told me the legs were useless and to file a claim. The claims department claimed that the legs could be re-attached even though their own people disagreed and could not re-attach. Now I have a useless couch and have to go spend more than the move-out, move-in and 2 months of storage combined just to get a couch that I can sit on. Completely frustrating experience. Do not recommend.

Travis,

We’re truly sorry to hear that your experience with Clutter did not meet up to your expectations. Our goal is to provide hassle-free service to our customers, and we apologize that this was not the case. We were unable to locate your account solely with the information on this review.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I had to move out of my office during Covid so I put my stuff in storage with Clutter. They had the best rates of anyone around. 8 months in they raised the storage rate 20%. I called to complain and they agreed to reduce it so it was only raised 10% but when I asked if I could lock in the new rate for at least a year they said no, they cannot tell me when the rate would be raised again. Seems like a scam. They get you in with low rates and then once your stuff is in storage they take the liberty of raising the rates as frequently as they would like. If they raise it again within the year I will probably move my stuff to a different facility.

Hello Elle,

We'd first like to offer our apologies for the experience. Rate adjustments are standard practice in our industry. However, we notify our customers 30 days before any rate adjustments take place. We have programs in place to apply discounts to rate adjustments. We're sorry to hear you are unsatisfied with our services. We appreciate you voicing your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I am beyond distraught and heartbroken. All of my personal items have been auctioned off despite me trying to pay off balance. All important documents and items lost. I was a customer since 2018. I fell behind due to Covid. I updated them on my status. I slowly got back on my feet with stable hours and was able to make more payments. None of that matter. My bal got as high an $2000 but, I was able to knock it down to 966.00. None of that matter to these folks. Kept giving me the scripted response. Then this morning I get an billing invoice that there was a $50 payment auction revenue on my account.

All of my family photos, documents, sentimental items gone. These items had value to me. All of my living relatives are no longer alive. I am beyond distraught. I had been a customer since 2018 and they did nothing to try to help me. Aug/Sept. they chose to do nothing. I was someone who wanted to pay. Other major companies work with their customers especially during Covid. But, not this company.

Hello Theresa,

We understand you're not happy with the current circumstances. We've made multiple attempts to work with you to avoid having your items auctioned. We do our best to work with our customers to avoid auctions by all means. Unfortunately, your contract with Clutter was broken due to the nonpayment of your storage space. We appreciate you voicing your concerns. I hope this finds you well.

Clutter Company Information