3.3/5 (228 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Taylor Sansano
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Clutter

Clutter uses its proprietary, end-to-end technology to offer convenient moving and storage services, including a Smart Storage option where it handles depositing and withdrawing your items for you. Clutter also focuses on your digital experience, allowing you to schedule services, check your storage inventory and manage your move online. However, it only operates in parts of California, New Jersey, New York and Washington, and available services vary by market.

Pros

• Smart Storage with pickup and delivery
  • Month-to-month storage available
  • Discounts for longer commitments
  • Optional packing service

Cons

• Not available everywhere
  • Smart Storage has extra fees

Bottom Line

Clutter focuses on full-service convenience when it comes to moving and storage, but you can also do some of the work yourself. However, service areas are limited, and storage pickups and deliveries cost extra.

Clutter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?

Original review: June 10, 2022

Updated on 06/22/2022: After we left Clutter/MakeSpace a negative review on June 10, we got the usual "let's work this out" message. After STILL being unable to reach either Clutter or MakeSpace for days, Clutter finally reached out. We were able to make an appointment to have our stuff delivered from storage, only to have MakeSpace try to reschedule at the last minute. Then we logged on to look at our delivery online, only to find they have NO RECORD of our stuff. Our experience has gone from inconvenient to criminal waste of time to nightmarish with no relief in sight. Whatever you do, avoid dealing with this disaster of a company if you possibly can.

Original Review: We have been storing hundreds of dollars worth of household furniture and effects with Makespace for years. Since the Clutter acquisition, we have not been able to reach Makespace by email or phone. Emails are not answered. Calls go immediately to hold and we have waited up to 30 minutes with no luck. Have our items been stolen? Sold? Lost? We have no idea, and Makespace won't talk to us. If this sounds like the customer experience you're looking for, by all means use Makespace or Clutter. Otherwise, run do not walk away.

Hi John,

We truly apologize for the negative experience you’ve had while trying to get in touch with our Customer Experience Team. We’d like to connect with you to resolve this issue quickly for you.

However, we could not locate your account based on your information here. Therefore, for the next steps, our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you through a private message to connect and discuss further. We look forward to resolving this matter soon fully.

The Clutter Team.

Resolution response: June 17, 2022

Was fully compensated for broken items.

Original review: June 7, 2022

Arrived before appointment time. Took 7 hours to move my studio apartment. Broke my computer monitor, my record player stand, and a giant sheet of glass in the lobby. Refused to compensate me for it in total costing me hundreds of dollars. Were not able to get my couch up the stairs even though another moving company was able to. Sent the same mover that broke the sheet of glass when taking things out of storage to add insult to injury.

Hi Tim,

We apologize for the level of service that you have received while storing with us. We take pride in carefully storing our customers' items, and any experience that does not demonstrate such care is below the standards we have set as a company. As a result, our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution. We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner.

The Clutter Team

Original review: June 6, 2022

I've not removed or added anything to my 5x10 unit since I've started with Clutter in August 2019 and my unit is only 61% full. I'm not sure why my pricing has more than doubled in less than 3 years. Crazy! I started out paying $98 per month August 2019. Feb 2020 127 per month. May 2020 $135 per month. November 2020 $151 per month. Dec 2021 $182 per month. May 2022 $218 per month.

Hi Charlayne,

The Clutter Team

Original review: June 5, 2022

Do not use them. They are a scammer company. They prey on college students to scam them out of 1000s of dollars, they do not have. My student booked them for a month to month contract, because we do not have the money to drive the stuff home, right now and they sneaked an 8 month plan, uncancelable plan, under. They lied to us, that they send us an email, but that email came 37 minutes after appointment, so you had no time to read it, since movers were there. My student only needed a storage for 3 month, but they want her now to pay 8 month or they will not give the stuff back. For that money we could drive my students stuff home and back. Makes absolute no sense, why my student would book a 8 month contract. It was a glitch on their booking page, or done on purpose by them, that the plan changed to that, as my student clicked month to month.. We called them right away, but they are no customer company.

They rather screw every customer over, to never ever come back to them, and lose them...and their friends and their friends, than admit and correct their wrong doing. If you ask who you talking too, they will tell you wrong names. We talked to 5 people, because they keep throwing us out of the line, and we were told 3 names of people we spoke to did not exist. Be prepared to be hours on the phone. They also charge you a surprise, outrageous service fee of almost $800. The people who came by to pack, were slow, forgot to take photos and charged for the time they made mistakes too. Then you also have to pay a other ransom fee, to get your stuff back out, in the end of the scammed in 8 month contract, again a $ 500 fee. They call it also service fee, makes no sense at all, since they have no service, just screw poor families and student over. They of course want all money at once.

We do not have that, or we would not have tried to use their storage. We could pack all in a car and drive home for 3 month. So be prepared for a first payment of way over $1000 for the smallest amount of stuff to store. Oh but there is even more fees and more fees. If you want your items, wrongful holded by them now 8 month, earlier as the 8 month back, more fees and you have to pay the 8 month storage and the almost $ 500 fee. It is a scam. They know student only have a few items to store over the summer, because campus housing closes. The guy named Oliver, who told us he help us, even admitted to us, that they know students only need storage for 2 or 3 month. But did he help or correct the contract. NO he did not.

So now they trick you and change your plan to 8 month, to suck the living life out of poor honest good people or they keep your stuff. Every normal company would help their customers to make it right, but this is not a good company. They do not care a bit about their customers. All they ever say or write are lies, no help from them at all. Just money greedy bad company, who I can see to be soon out of business for screwing over all their long year and new customers. Please do not book them and warn everyone. Spread around at all colleges, YELP, over all social media pages. Google what other people write about them. It is a nightmare we are still in, we did not book an 8 month plan, nor do we have that kind of money. We cried and had/have breakdowns, all because this company littley "rapes" you over. I honestly do not know how they sleep at night. It is awful when someone is out to hurt your child.

Since they do not want to help us, or make their fault right, I will even see now, if the news maybe can report about what happened to us, so maybe then they will fix it and, also so that other people do not get into the sleepless nightmares, we are going right now through. It used to be a nice company, but now they are scammers. Read the reviews about them. So sad, we just wanted them to fix it, we do not have almost $ 2000 scam money, for a contract we did not book, do not need and for sure can not pay. All we wanted is our yearly contract, to pay monthly to store some items.

Hi T,

We truly apologize for the negative experience you’ve had, and we’d like to connect with you to try and resolve this issue for you. We were unable to locate your account based on your information here, so please send us a message through your account portal to get in touch with the Trust & Safety Team.

The Clutter Team

Original review: June 4, 2022

My husband and I put all of our stuff into storage using MakeSpace for one year while we traveled. We just got our stuff back and I would never use MakeSpace/Clutter again. The company has changed its policies and raised its prices multiple times throughout the year — and they do so in shady ways with emails about T&Cs changing but not telling you how it affects your pricing.

Six weeks before we needed our stuff back, I went to make an appointment — the only day they had available for full service delivery was two days after our move (again, six weeks out). They didn’t have pick up available at all for the month. So, I chose the closest date available (consequently, 6 days after my monthly billing cycle) assuming they would pro-rate the month. What I didn’t know is MakeSpace/Clutter will only pro-rate if you were within 5 days. They don’t care that more than a month out they themselves couldn’t provide the service so you could get it within that window.

They also changed their pricing for Full Service Delivery and it’s a scam. They email you with new “Clutter” pricing saying 1) your overall storage cost will go up because of our merge (it did), and 2) that there is new pricing for delivery making it cheaper, only to tell me that that pricing isn’t available in my market. Then, when I booked my delivery, I was told one price and upon delivery charged $200 more. I’ve spent hours on the phone with customer service and it’s horrific. It will take you a week of daily calls and e-mails just to reach a supervisor who puts you on hold for 45 minutes and ultimately won’t do anything. He just reads a script saying “absolutely (name)”, promises to get back to you and you never hear from him again.

So, I paid $487 for storage in June despite only using it for 6 days (really 5 days plus the 8 hours until my 8am delivery) and overpaid by $200 for my delivery, and they won’t remove the charge. All to say… do not use this company. It’s not worth it. All the marketing and branding in the world won’t make this a good experience. Hire a few guys and go to your local storage facility, you’ll thank yourself a year later.

Hi Haley,

We are sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with your experience and understand you were in communication with the leadership team to address your concerns. Our team was able to address the June storage payment concerns and we hope it helped!

The Clutter Team

Original review: June 2, 2022

I am so disappointed in Clutter, and rarely go out of my way to leave a bad review but in this case it feels warranted. I had been a Makespace customer for over 7 years, and had been storing 3 small plastic bins with them for a fee of $19.99 per month. I used to recommend them to everyone, and based on my 2 months as a customer with Clutter I can safely say I would actively recommend everyone I know (and the rest of the internet) away from a company who is focused on making short-term gains with your possessions over taking care of the customers who help pay their bills.

On February 18th Makespace announced they were purchased by Clutter, and on February 25th Clutter sent a cryptic email stating that "some rates would be lower some would be higher", with no further details directly in the email about the specific rate change I would receive. In March I received an emailed invoice from Clutter for $19.60. Great, my rate had decreased! In April I received no emailed invoice from Clutter. Then in May I received an emailed invoice for $107.79. That's right, a 540% increase in price. It turned out I had been charged $107.79 in April too, but they had failed to email me an invoice.

I emailed Clutter who told me to file a claim. The claims team responded by saying "Per our records, you received an email regarding this adjustment in late February titled: 'MakeSpace is changing your pricing.' This email also detailed how the smallest plan size would now be the 5x5, as opposed to your previous plan. As such, we cannot offer a refund for the two months of storage with Clutter." There was zero humanity in the process. No consideration given for my 7 years of history with Makespace. Or for the fact that the 540% price increase might have come as a shock. Instead just the cold, hard logic that an obscure notification email was enough to make it my responsibility to pay their inflated prices.

To add to the insult I was then charged $170 to have my 3 plastic boxes returned to me. So all in all, I am almost $400 out of pocket to have 3 small plastic bins stored and returned for 2 months with Clutter. If this is how they treat loyal customers from their acquisitions, then I dread to think what they would do if I were to store valuable possessions with them.

Hi Stephen,

We are sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with your experience with our company and the rate adjustments that took place on the account. While rate adjustments are standard in the storage industry, we do want to look into this further for you and work towards a resolution. A member of Trust & Safety will be reaching out to you to follow up.

Original review: May 26, 2022

Where to start!!!! I scheduled an appointment with this horrible company to pick up my items in storage!!!! Called the morning of to confirm my appointment and Clutter is saying there was no appointment booked!!! Thank God for screen shots. 4 hours later, in a truck I rented and drove from out of state to pick up my items and still NO help and damn sure no resolution!!!! I was told to get TaskRabbit to have my items delivered. Huh?!?! This is the absolute WORST company I’ve ever dealt with!!! STAY AWAY from this company!!! You’ve been warned!!!!

Sue,

We are so very sorry to hear that your appointment did not go through. We attempt to avoid these types of errors but even technology fails at times. However, this is no excuse and we are sorry that you had to rent a truck last minute to carry out your move. We hope everything else went seamlessly in your travels and apologize again for the experience.

Original review: May 26, 2022

If all you read is this line; run away (don't walk) from Clutter as quickly as you can. I cannot overestimate how frustrated, annoyed, disappointed, and angry I am with my overall MakeSpace/Clutter experience. After 18 months of storage, every item of furniture I had in storage is damaged beyond repair. Even the movers who returned my items (who only picked up a truck already packed) were embarrassed and angry on my behalf of the clear lack of care and attention given during moving and storage. Their customer service is atrocious and the online/offline experiences are just antagonizing.

I was specifically willing to spend more when I signed up because I expected additional care when moving and storing my belongings. The only things that weren't damaged had been packed by myself. Why did I bother storing my stuff 18 months, only to have to toss much of it out and start fresh? I paid for a service that was supposed to save me money, and it ended up costing me thousands and thousands in unnecessary storage and moving fees for items that got thrown out and replaced.

Hi James,

We'd like to start off by apologizing for your experience with Clutter. We take pride in storing our customers' items with care, and any experience that does not display such care is below our standards. Our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution with you. We would like to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner.

The Clutter Team

Original review: May 25, 2022

Had a consistently great experience with Makespace, but since the Clutter acquisition things have started to go downhill. With Makespace I was paying ~$33.75/mo for a 5'x5' space (that I use 15% of), and as of April 2022 - with no notice - Clutter increased the cost of this plan to ~$107.79/mo. After noticing the charge on my credit card statement I contacted them and their reasoning was, "...so we can continue to provide to top-tier service, provide our employees with a livable wage, and cover the increases in cost of business". I understand small increases might be necessary over time - but an increase of this amount with no appreciable change in service is unacceptable.

Hello Jesse,

We apologize for the level of service that you have received while storing with us. We take pride in offering world-class service, and any experience that does not demonstrate such care is below the standards we have set as a company. As a result, our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution. We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner.

Resolution response: May 24, 2022

Clutter promptly reached out to me in order to find a resolution to the situation. Although I cannot say that solution is my ideal, I am still VERY satisfied with how things turned out and how the Trust & Safety team handled the situation. They were so kind, helpful, and honest as they earnestly made an effort to rectify and improve the situation. They offered a very good solution, one that I can get on board with - I feel so relieved! I am grateful that Clutter went above and beyond to support their customer and help amidst a difficult situation. Also, Becca from the Trust & Safety Team is amazing!!

Original review: May 23, 2022

They started off amazing and then turned into a nightmare. I would recommend giving your money to a company that operates more honorably towards its customers. According to my original contract, the price for the final returns of my items was 0.00. A no charge final returns of my items. This is one of the main reasons I went with Clutter - one of the best perks. But now, they are charging about $250 for the return, plus 78/hour per/mover for the move (there will be at least two movers). So at minimum, I will have to pay $562 dollars to receive my items back.

I have no other option other than to lose my items in storage... So I'm actively FORCED into paying this in order to get my items back. I am shocked by how much they changed their prices and agreement. They lost my trust completely, not to mention they have put me in a very upsetting financial situation. This wasn't a slight change, this was an ASTRONOMICAL change. Clutter has put me in a corner, pinned me against the wall, so-to-speak, and now I have no way out other than to lose all my items or to comply to their exploitation. Please for the sake of ethics and morality, use a different storage company.

Hello Adina,

On behalf of the Clutter Team, please accept our sincere apology for this experience. We understand your concerns about our appointment pricing. We take pride in providing a stress-free storage experience and apologize that this experience was below our standards. As a result, our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution. We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner. Thank you The Clutter Team

Original review: May 22, 2022

Stay away from this company!!! If I could give zero stars I would. This is a really bad business and they dishonest: First of all, they lie ($59 to bring back your stuff) to get you in. Secondly, they tell you your stuff doesn't fit into the storage size you picked and raise the size and price. This is not true since now I moved my stuff to the other storage smaller size and even 1/3 of the space is empty. You are not allowed to go see your stuff (that's why you can't know that they are not telling the truth).

They will bring everything back DAMAGED!!! Every single piece of furniture was damaged!!! I think they put everything together in one big room with other people's stuff and keep moving/tossing your stuff around as they bring new items to the storage. Otherwise how would you explain that all my furniture, TV, art pieces came back damaged or completely broken??!!. They will charge your credit card more than you agreed on for moving back your stuff!!!

I don't really give bad reviews to anyone and I always gratefully pay for a good service, but this company I have to warn you about!!! You will end up paying for the stuff you will trash afterwards because everything will come back damaged!!! THEY HAVE ONE JOB TO DO - move and store your stuff safely - and we pay for that, but THEY DON'T DO THEIR JOB!!! So it was a waste of money for storage for all those months (12 months) I paid, damaged furniture, now I have to pay others to trash the damaged furniture they brought back and have to buy new everything. I feel really angry and I hope this dishonest business will close soon! And I know it will if they don't start making it right for their customers! You can fool once, but in a long run you will always lose.

Hi Jane,

We apologize for the dissatisfactory experience you had with our company. Our Trust & Safety team will be reaching out to work towards a resolution of your concerns.

The Clutter Team

Original review: May 21, 2022

Updated on 06/11/2022: Although Dominique went above and beyond to be helpful in the future if I ever need to get a storage unit I will use one that picks your things up and deliver it rather your in town or out of state. Because I moved out of state I have to buy a plane ticket find a moving company and drive back to Georgia from New York. I was a little bitter when I saw the commercial of the company that picks up stores and delivers would’ve made life so much easier.

Original Review: My sister passed away, while still in mourning I had to quickly empty out her apartment. I’m paying $367 a month, next thing I know $450. To retrieve items will be almost $300 and $78 per mover per hour.

Hi Nene,

We are sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with the rate adjustment that recently took place on your account and the overall pricing model under Clutter. While our team has applied a discount to your rate already, we want to work towards a resolution and our Trust & Safety team will be following up with you.

The Clutter Team

Original review: May 12, 2022

I can’t begin to describe how poor of a company Clutter is - the worst company I’ve ever dealt with. What started as a good relationship with Makespace (a company Clutter merged with) spiraled into disaster with Clutter. My agreement with Makespace allowed me an initial free delivery of my stored items and an inexpensive delivery thereafter - $59 per delivery. This is the primary reason I decided to use Makespace and pay a hefty monthly storage fee ($446.76 or 1.5X what a comparable storage space would have cost me) - for convenience's sake. Post the merger, the terms changes materially (without adequate disclosures) - when it came time to make my first delivery, I was charged $369 (instead of being free, as per my original contract). Subsequently, for my second and final delivery, Clutter proceeded to charge me $507.40 as opposed to $59 per the original contract.

To make matters worse, Clutter messaged me at 8 pm in the evening prior to the scheduled second delivery to cancel (this was less than 24 hours notice) and offered no further explanation. Given that I had a potential buyer lined up for the furniture to be included within that delivery, this ended up causing a significant financial loss. Instead of making things right, Clutter then charged me a monthly fee of $547.64 for storage for the following month - a fee that was significantly higher than my standard monthly fee after they had already delivered half the stuff and the additional month was as a result of their fault not mine! This firm uses predatory pricing, and deceptive techniques as part of their business practices which is a clear violation of consumer rights and I intend to take legal action. I HIGHLY recommend you steer as far away from this company as you can.

Hi Daniel,

We apologize for the level of service that you have received while storing with us and for the recent rate adjustment. Our Trust & Safety Team has tried reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution. We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner.

Resolution response: June 3, 2022

I want to update the claim according to the answer from the company. I said about 3 problem: huge price change, broken furniture and not assembled furniture.

1. I still think it as not fair though legally company could do this. I think a good approach is to fix return conditions at the beginning and to not change them for existing customers who already stores the items. Or at least to not change them too much (as free and $700). But company offered some compensation and it's good that they care at least.

2. This was fully fixed after claiming broken furniture. I got all necessary compensation. $10 for a broken children table was returned even without photo (I gave it away already). It's a good point.

3. Actually I don't care about assembling. Anyway $160/hour is too much for it as I said. Not a big deal for me.

So, can raise my rate to 3 (satisfied), thank you!

Original review: May 11, 2022

I have a few complaints about this company:

1. When we put things to the storage the company offered free delivery back. They changed conditions and the price became very high, even more than usual mover companies would take. I paid about $700, and I won't choose this company at the beginning if I knew it beforehand.
2. Some of the stuff was broken: wardrobe had a hole, legs of 2 tables and 1 drawer were broken (can attach photos).

3. Movers didn't assemble furniture, although they did it when packing our stuff. But it may be even good point with their high price ($160 per hour + $300 base payment, and usual movers' price is about $120 and less).

So, keep in mind that conditions may be very good at the beginning, but change to very pricy at the end.

Hi Sergei,

Original review: May 5, 2022

What a nightmare. Clutter sold me in 2.5 years ago with their shiny new startup offers - price matching, free pickup, free delivery and Amazon gift cards. Turns out, Clutter isn't too different than Uber in terms of price gouging, declining customer service (still haven't gotten a proper and satisfactory reply), murky Terms + Conditions which give them ability to raise prices whenever they want without limits and unethical (and unregulated) corporate behavior.

After selling me in on free final delivery (which is also what my initial agreement, as well as the Clutter portal indicates), they are now holding my storage hostage and requiring nearly $500 + labor to retrieve my items. An increase of 68,596% (totalling near $800). Total bait and trap tactics that's more out of the playbook of Uber charging surge prices during natural disasters.

Despite being a company that was founded resulting from the challenge of storage companies consistently raising rates, they've raised my storage prices 3x in 2.5 years. What was once brilliant customer service and would respond immediately has now seriously downgraded in quality to outsourcing to the Philippines, not returning emails or calls in timely manner citing "high ticket volume". And this is before I've even gotten any of my items back, which crossing fingers, because recent reviews (and friends' reports) are full of reports of lost, damaged or moldy items.

The Clutter CEO talks about "radical transparency", "company culture" and "customer service" which seems to be lip service, as that does not extend to consumer protection any more. Perhaps it once did, but between mergers and everything else, NO MORE. Do yourself a favor. Stick to Public Storage. Clutter might seem easier and more tech-enabled convenient, but these startups behave with zero ethics, consumer protections or advocacy and have no proven track record of quality over time. These startups aren't profitable and beholden to the investment bankers and venture capitalists to get their money back. And YOU will definitely pay for it down the line.

Hi Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. Our Trust & Safety team has been in contact with you. We appreciate you connecting with us and working towards a resolution.

Sincerely, The Clutter Team

Resolution response: May 5, 2022

Amelia contacted me and offered a more reasonable amount for the damage to the bedframe. Happier now.

Original review: May 5, 2022

I had left Seattle for another state in early 2020 and stored my entire apartment with a company called MakeSpace. Pickup of my stuff was simple and everything went smoothly. Costs per month were low until 2022 when Clutter merged with MakeSpace. First the cost of storage increased nearly 60% on the same amount of space. Then when I decided I was paying too much and had my items delivered the real problems began. My solid wood bedframe leg was broken in half upon receipt of my items. My mattress looked like it had been sitting in a machine shop. One mattress cover was torn and they added a second cover, but dirt and grime already covered the mattress. There was black soot on almost all of my items and every large item had significant scuffs and scratches. They forgot a single item in the delivery and only notified me the day of delivery at which point I had to make a second appointment and pay even more money to get my last item back.

On top of all of this the compensation they give for broken items is the worst I've ever seen. Their "Basic" plan only covers $1 per lb of item so for a $1300 bed frame I was only offered $130. This is a massive farce and this company should not be in business. Do not use their service. Just go get a storage locker somewhere or try to use a friend's house.

Hi Wade,

I’m glad we were able to resolve this for you. We hope you have a great rest of your weekend!

Original review: May 5, 2022

The movers showed up on time, which was a good start. They'd quoted me 4-6 hours to pack up a 1 bed, 1 bath apartment. From there, things went downhill incredibly fast. 6 hours into the move they hadn't even finished the bedroom. This bedroom had 1 bed, 2 pieces of art, 2 chairs, and a rug. 1 of the 3 person team disappeared 2 hours into the job and they were fighting amongst each other the entire time. Lot of weed smoking outside going on. We began to get worried as we had a flight to catch the next morning. 8 hours in, they'd begun to dismantle all of our furniture in our living room.

They seemed to have found the missing team members, and began moving our things outside.... some into the truck, some in the alley where they parked the truck. then, THEY LEFT. They didn't tell us, they didn't give us a heads, they left our belongings in our common hallways in front of neighbors doors, outside in the alley, and left! We, like hundreds of others, are of course suing them. I guess knowing they won't be in business in a year (investors backing out, losing money fast under poor management) makes me feel a little better... but avoid at all costs. Good idea that cant be executed.

Hi Shane,

The Clutter Team

Original review: May 4, 2022

Clutter outsources its business development to high-pressure sales companies who promise anything to sign-up customers, since that's how they are paid. However, those terms will not be honored. In my family's case, we were offered a sign-up bonus, a fixed monthly fee with unlimited pickups and drop-offs. We were also promised the Movers would pack our belongings. Clutter made good on exactly NONE of the above conditions. Our free two months sign on turned into $10 off. Our monthly fees DOUBLED after three months and (just now went up again after six months). In addition, the unlimited pickups and drops are now $200 each. That's right, $200!. Clutter is a struggling startup with a gross negative margin business model they cannot sustain, so raping customers is their business model now. Avoid bait and switch, fakery and stick to an offline moving company.

Hi Joe,

The Clutter Team

Original review: April 30, 2022

I was extremely disappointed to get an email this past week with ANOTHER rate increase after being promised by the customer support management team just back in November 2021 that this would NOT happen again for at least another year. Now 5 months later, I am getting another rate hike of $30 a month in addition the $14 a month in November 2021, bringing my total rate hikes to $44 more this year, an increase of 31% in one year. That’s ridiculous. Especially after a promise from THEIR team this would not happen again – I don’t care about a merger, Clutters/MakeSpaces decision to purchase another company is your call, not to be paid for by your customer.

I have had my stuff in long term storage for almost 3 years and haven’t touched it once or used any of your other services, and now you are going to lose a low service customer who you would have continued to profit off of for another 5-10 or more years as I am living in South America with my wife and daughter. Clutter/MakeSpace has gone downhill, extremely disappointed. 3 Years ago this company was innovating in the moving space, amazing customer support team with a customer first mentality, and now they have turned into the typical greedy corporate American company that lies to and cheats/nickel and dimes their customers. Whatever they promise you up front, trust me, it's too good to be true.

Hello Drew,

We are glad our Trust & Safety Team was able to get in contact with you. As a result, we were able to work towards a resolution. We hope we have been able to change your experience.

Resolution response: May 5, 2022

I had some trouble with a lost box at Clutter, but their Customer Service was on it and dedicated to helping resolve all the issues and meet my expectations on my claims. Definitely a relief that they were able to work with me.

Original review: April 28, 2022

Beware: Clutter has really been a nightmare to work within many aspects. They mistreat your stuff, they might lose your items, and payment for lost or damaged items is a bad joke! I closed my account and they wanted to hit me with upwards of $400 to deliver my belongings and close out my account. After Complaining They settled for their old policies which reduced the price.

When they were going to deliver my belongings they advised they lost one of my boxes. I filed a claim for the lost box. When everything arrived, many cardboard boxes containing precious vinyl and computer equipment were so bumped up and broken, it revealed how awful they treat your stuff. I'm still assessing how many items are damaged. Worst of all, they want to compensate me with only $50 for my lost box, When it's worth well over $500 plus there's a bunch of personal work that I was storing in my hard drives and Dat tapes they lost. If you are thinking of using them to store your stuff.. Be careful with them, they treat your items horribly, and you are out of luck if they lose your stuff and you don't buy their extra insurance.

Hi Danny,

The Clutter Team

Original review: April 25, 2022

My husband and I, as well as my daughter, utilized this company, which was formerly MakeSpace to store furniture for a period of time. The company recently changed hands and the fee structure changed significantly. When we first decided to take advantage of their services the fees were reasonable and it seemed quite easy to have furniture brought back and added to the storage unit. However, after 2 years of storage and several thousand dollars for storage, we decided to have the items returned to us. This is where the nightmare began.

First of all, they demanded $800+ dollars to return the merchandise to us and also said they couldn't do it in a timely fashion, which would result in additional storage fees to us. We were able to negotiate a reasonable return time and fee for return of the items, but for both my husband and myself, as well as my daughter, there were items lost as well as several major items broken.

Today we received a text message stating that they found a few of the items and were returning them to us. When they delivered the items, I discussed our situation with the delivery people and they were very apologetic. We were never compensated for any of the missing and broken items, even though we put in a claim for them. From what I understand, that is par for the course for other customers also and the amount of lost and broken merchandise is phenomenal.

From what I can glean from reviews I've seen online, the company has a great team of service people who can pick up the items and deliver them back to the consumer and they get a 5 star rating, but once the merchandise gets to the warehouse, it's anything goes and the rating once returned goes down to 1 or none. Our delivery people stated that the company is undergoing an overhaul and the new management is trying to rectify the problems of the past. I do hope this is true. The employees that interact with the public seem to take care of the property of their customers, but they have no control over the employees who actually store the items. The management of the company has to dive deep to resolve the issues that occur once it gets to their facility or this company won't be in business for the long term.

Hi Maureen,

We truly apologize for the negative experience you’ve had, and we’d like to connect with you to try and resolve this issue for you. We were unable to locate your account based on your information here, so please send us a message through your Clutter account portal to get in touch with the Trust & Safety Team.

Original review: April 20, 2022

I had a unit years ago for several months and stopped paying it and instead of these thieves closing my account and selling, trading, tossing, my item they kept my account open (even though I wasn't paying the thieves anything and are trying to charge me over $2,000 for a service I did not want nor was paying for). They won't let me pick up the items that I didnt want until I pay for the service that I didn't ask for. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID.

Hi J,

We are sorry to hear that are dissatisfied that we didn't auction or close your account when you stopped payment. We would be happy to look into this further for you but we are unable to locate your account based on this information. Please send a message through your account portal asking for Trust & Safety and we will reach out.

Original review: April 20, 2022

Clutter destroyed/damaged and/or lost 80% of the items I stored with them. While they have acknowledge their fault in the damage, they have not provided adequate (or reasonable) compensation. Buyer beware!

Hi Antonio,

We are sorry to hear that you experienced damage and are dissatisfied with the offers made regarding your claims. As a member of the Trust & Safety team is already in contact with you regarding the damage, we will continue the existing communication.

Original review: April 20, 2022

I was a MakeSpace customer and was satisfied with their service, then the company merged with Clutter and I had the worst customer service experience. First, I received emails to use a $30 credit to schedule a move. I believed I qualified because I was in fact a new customer with Clutter. I had tried to use the promo code and couldn't. Since I was moving into a new home, I had to book the appointment for my things to be delivered so that I wouldn't incur a monthly storage fee. I then received an email stating that one of my items, a shoe rack, was delayed.

My items were delivered but I didn't receive an update on the shoe rack. I was, however, charged the monthly storage fee and had emailed customer service in regards to that and the $30 credit. I received no responses but noticed that after about a week, the charge was reversed. However, I still haven't heard back on the $30 credit and my shoe rack. I wouldn't recommend Clutter to anyone given the poor customer service and communication.

Hi Jennifer,

We truly apologize for the negative experience you’ve had and that there have been issues with the communication. We’d like to connect with you to try and resolve this issue for you. We were unable to locate your account based on your information here, so please send us a message through your account portal to get in touch with the Trust & Safety Team.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I do not recommend - I had the worst experience. Not only did they lose my belongings, but when booking an appointment to close out my account they had no options within my billing period. I had to schedule my appointment two days after my billing period and was charged a full month worth of storage as they do not pro rate or offer third party options. Customer service was the worst I have ever experienced. Not only did they raise the costs for service fees and storage during my time, but I was not able to resolve any issues. I believe their business practices are predatory and not worth the headache. Choose any other company.

Hi Alexis,

We apologize for your experience with us thus far. We take pride in storing our customers' items, and any experience that does not demonstrate such care is below the standards we have set as a company. Our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution. We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I was a legacy Makespace customer. I signed up in March of 2015 and have been using them through the different changes that the company went through. The folks who made the deliveries and pickups were wonderful. The pricing was very reasonable. As a legacy customer, my account was only subject to some pricing changes, which was something that the company did not have to do but it was certainly something that made me stick around as a customer instead of lifting my bed up and putting everything under there. I am an apartment dweller who had been looking to store off season belongings, nothing big. Clutter does not offer a plan for customers like me. The smallest plan starts at 5x5, I had not been using the full 2x3 space that I was using before. At 5x5 I was using 7% of the space. Clutter needs smaller plans.

I cannot afford a $70 a month increase so I am having all my things delivered to me (two plastic bins, a small ceramic radiator, and a small window A/C). Because I am having all four things delivered I am being charged an additional $159 to close my account! I have never heard of such a thing! Makespace had a 3 month minimum when I signed up and if a customer canceled before those three months were up the customer was charged a fee but never a fee to just not store stuff anymore. I do not understand why I am paying $159 to no longer store stuff. There is no additional labor for having four items delivered and keeping an account open versus having four items delivered and closing the account. That is just a money grab. I don't mind the increase in delivery fees because the cost of labor and gas has gone up. But I also had to pay $25 to pick a date? I used to be able to just pick a date and a time window with no extra fee.

Now if you don't want to pick a date a customer just has to be available for 3 days? It would have just been cheaper to buy a new A/C at this point. I am so disappointed in these changes. Clutter and Makespace merged because Clutter wanted to get into the NYC market but they clearly do not understand the NYC customer and what type of storage service we are looking for. As a User Experience Researcher, I'm miffed! Anyway, spending at least $300 to get my A/C, crappy heater, and spring/summer clothing back I guess... It is a shame that clutter does not have the same values as Makespace.

Hi Penelope,

We apologize for the experience that you have received. We take pride in storing our customers' items, and any experience that does not demonstrate such care is below the standards we have set as a company. Our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution. We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner.

The Clutter Team

Original review: March 31, 2022

This company is awful. They have all my apt stuff and I just moved into apt and the earliest they can deliver my items to me is 4 weeks from now so I have to use an empty apt until they can get me my stuff since I can’t get it. Terrible company. Terrible business. Wish I could get zero stars How can you market and charge as a full service storage company (happily took $5000 from me over last 18 months) and then take 4 weeks to deliver essential items to your customers. And I can’t even get to them so essentially I’m paying Clutter to keep my items hostage until they can deliver in 4 weeks. Awful awful business and shouldn’t be allowed what they do to customers.

Hi Shane,

Please accept our sincerest apologies for this operational delay. We understand that your things are important to you and we are working to help as much as possible. A member of our Trust & Safety team will be reaching out shortly.

The Clutter Team

Original review: March 19, 2022

This is truly the worst company. I had to choose a delivery date three weeks out. Just hire more people! Then my delivery was delayed by a week, they opened up the delivery window to EIGHT HOURS starting at 7 am, wasted my entire day. Part of my stored furniture is now "delayed." Do not recommend. They are a nightmare and I hope they fail.

Clutter response

Hi Divya, We apologize for the level of service that you have received while attempting to have your items returned. As true with most businesses right now, we are working hard to hire and meet the requests of our customers. However, we do recognize that any experience that does not demonstrate care in service is below the standards we have set as a company. Our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution. We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner. Thank You, The Clutter Team

Original review: March 18, 2022

I have moved 5 times in the last 10 years utilizing local storage and moving companies and Clutter is by far the poorest, most frustrating storage experience I have ever had. They confirmed an appointment for me to pick up all my items for my move and when my movers showed up (you can’t go to the warehouse yourself) the warehouse didn’t have my appointment on the schedule.

The team is so disorganized that they didn’t properly communicate with their own warehouse even though they confirmed several times with me and in turn myself with my moving company. Because they could not retrieve my items I had to pay the movers for the time, push back my whole move and Clutter’s team assured me that because it was their fault I would get the cost covered for the movers time. Well, after going through the claims process that was not the case. I would highly recommend looking into other services or storing yourself. Not worth the stress, disorganization and money.

Hi Lauren,

We sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction you experienced with our service. We have been in correspondence with you via e-mail and will continue to address your concerns and process.

We understand your experience has not met expectations and a member of our Trust & Safety team will be reaching out to assist and ensure we can find a resolution for you.

Kind regards,

Original review: March 18, 2022

The main issue was with the company itself. MakeSpace now called Clutter. They made a total cubic calculation which was incorrect. From the beginning they calculated a larger space than the one I needed, but keep promising that at the end I was going to be charged only for the actuals, which was not the case. After I disputed the final charges, they recalculated the cubic again and said it was less than the original calculation, but still even if I was not using the entire space I was going to be charge for a full lot of space I was not using.

On top of that the company has a lot of restrictions in regards to the items you can storage so I had to do 3 different moves apart from MakeSpace (now called Clutter). On top of that after the move was complete I was charged apart from the storage $300, for over $800 for the moving, considering I had to two other movings to store the items they do not allow. And I always paid regular movers for $400 for the exact same moving, which ended up being extremely expensive and I feel I was mislead during the entire moving experience, so I do not recommend the company.

Laurita,

After review with MakeSpace and Clutter, we have confirmed that you were always eligible for a 10x15 size unit. We have no record via calls or email that indicate you were eligible for a 10x10 or that you would receive a prorated rate for being 80 cubic feet over the 10x10 limit. Since you have been in the appropriate plan size since the ingestion of your items and have a final delivery scheduled, there is nothing to adjust or correct with your account. However, we appreciate you taking the time to speak with us today and provide feedback regarding your time with us. This will absolutely be used to improve the customer experience in the future.

Clutter Company Information