3.4/5 (355 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Taylor Sansano
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Clutter

Clutter uses its proprietary, end-to-end technology to offer convenient moving and storage services, including a Smart Storage option where it handles depositing and withdrawing your items for you. Clutter also focuses on your digital experience, allowing you to schedule services, check your storage inventory and manage your move online. However, it only operates in parts of California, New Jersey, New York and Washington, and available services vary by market.

Pros

• Smart Storage with pickup and delivery
  • Month-to-month storage available
  • Discounts for longer commitments
  • Optional packing service

Cons

• Not available everywhere
  • Smart Storage has extra fees

Bottom Line

Clutter focuses on full-service convenience when it comes to moving and storage, but you can also do some of the work yourself. However, service areas are limited, and storage pickups and deliveries cost extra.

Clutter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clutter?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2022

I referred a family member to rent a storage room at the Canarsie location. There was a posted flyer offering $100 discount for each of us - the current and also for the referred client. The Clutter rep told us to call customer service afterwards and they would be able to help us to do it. They then proceeded to ring up the transaction.

Shortly thereafter I called customer service only to be told that they would not honor it because the rep did not enter the code when he signed us up. I am left with the distinct feeling that I was scammed - falling for some sort of 'Bait-and Switch' con. In addition, I have to wonder if Clutters' representatives are incentivized not to rent the rooms at an offered discount, even when the customer directly asks for it. At a minimum, Clutter should do a better job of training their front end staff so as to not have them obfuscate the correct procedure to qualify for a promotional discounts that Clutter "offers". After years of renting a storage unit at this location, we will both be taking our business elsewhere at the end of this month. I expected better from Clutter.

Hi Rowan,

We apologize for the experience you've had. We'd like to reach out to work towards a resolution with you. We could not locate your Clutter account based on the information provided. Please visit your account portal and reach out via the 'I Need Help' button, please ask for the Trust and Safety team.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Oct. 8, 2022

I used Clutter to move and store my things while I was between apartments, and while the service they offer is convenient, the fact that they lose large and essential items is unacceptable. I find Clutter to be expensive, and while I understand that it's a complex operation, they shouldn't be charging a premium for a service they can't fully deliver. Moving out: The move out went fine. The team was efficient and professional, but they use an EXTREME amount of plastic in their packing process, which made me cringe.

Delivering: When I had them deliver my things to my new place, the team showed up without my mattress. [Interjection I will make here- the delivery team was also very professional and efficient, and I have no complaints about them whatsoever]. I had to file a claim, wait days for them to respond, and then days more before they managed to deliver it (this was after I had some strong words with a support person, who subsequently magically found me an earlier delivery date so I didn't have to sleep on my couch another week).

More missing items: After fully unpacking I realized more items were missing: My vacuum and broom. These are not easy to lose! I know for a fact that they were taken in the initial move (there are photographs of them in the inventory but they weren't actually included in the inventory). Off I went to file another claim. I waited almost two weeks before I had to have more strong words with the support team about the lack of response. Finally I got a call that they had no record of the items and there was nothing they could do but throw their hands up. Moving is a huge headache no matter how you shake it. Rather than alleviating that headache, Clutter was a big part of the problem. I would not recommend them to anyone I like. I don't even know if I'd recommend them to someone I don't like. I have may more choice words about this company but I'm afraid I need to go buy a new vacuum.

Hi Elena,

We apologize you were involved in a claim, for privacy reasons we cannot discuss the details of your claim. Publicly we can confirm it was assessed accurately. You are welcome to review the correspondence we provided and contact us if you have any additional questions.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

I would have never done business with this company due to their poor ratings online. I had storage with a company called Callbox Seattle. Then Clutter bought them. I wasn't informed. When I start getting billed at a higher rate from Clutter, I found out this had happened. Time passes, and I start making plans to get my items moved to LA. First, they say my items are not longer in a storage unit, so I cannot visit as they are in a warehouse somewhere. I never agreed to this, and it is horrible because I have some large items I would liquidate on Craigslist that I don't want to pay moving costs on. Well, now I am forced to. All or nothing. I make plans to show up to the warehouse with a U-Haul. Then when I check back to confirm, they tell me I can no longer visit the warehouse, only "professional moving companies" can do this. Shocking.

So I start working with a moving company, and check back to confirm the warehouse address. Now clutter says "we no longer allow warehouse pickups, we must find another location to deliver your items". Now this is extremely suspicious, why would they go to the cost and effort to load 10x15" worth of items, about 2 tons, into a truck, just to unload it again? Allowing movers to show up at their location would save them money? Causes suspicion that they have lost or destroyed my items and are just stringing me along. So I offered to have my mover meet them at a nearby Walmart parking lot, and they counter by offering to meet at a park. My mover says that no mover will do this, so why would they pick such a location. Now, they have just gone radio silent to the email thread we had established. And they never answer the phone.

After all the barriers that they have thrown up, and the amount of nightmare reviews I now read, I am doubting that they even have my items or intend to return them at all. If you hate nightmares, avoid this company. Or any company that even looks like them since they have bought up Callbox, Makespace, and perhaps others I am unaware of. It is really sad because the convenience of having an integrated mover & storage facility is a great idea. But no matter how great your idea is, you have to have some honor and treat customers well.

Anthony,

We are sorry that you’ve had such a difficult time getting your items back. Many of our policies are for the safety of our team members, customers, and the belongings stored at our warehouse. We are pleased to see that you’ve made direct contact with our Trust & Safety team to work on a resolution. We will continue to work on this until all concerns have been addressed.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

At the start of covid, I rented a storage space from a company called MakeSpace for the furnishings from my son's apartment when he moved back home. At the time I rented the space, I was told that I could retrieve my belongings for a flat fee of $59 (I have notes from the phone call). When I went to retrieve the items recently, MakeSpace had been bought by a company called Clutter, and I was informed that there would be a $189 "close out" fee for my account, a $20 per item charge for the things I have stored, AND an hourly charge for movers, in order to retrieve my items, likely adding up to hundreds of dollars (I have not been able to get a firm price from Clutter). As recently as today 9/10/22, Clutter's website says "How much does it cost to have items returned? You can order items to be returned for as low as $15 per item. Your final delivery will be billed at the same flat rate and hourly amount (if applicable) as your first pickup."

Putting aside the new $15 per item charge ($20 if you want the items brought inside), Clutter is refusing to abide by this policy, telling me that my "first pickup" was the day Clutter bought MakeSpace, not the day I rented the storage unit. When I tried to respond to emails from customer service that say "feel free to respond to this email with questions," I get a message saying that that email address "is not being monitored." When I spoke to a customer service rep, she told me to pay the bill and file a claim. I asked for a supervisor and was told that was not possible -- that I'd have to send another message through the website. In other words, a big run-around. I would advise consumers to avoid Clutter, as their rates have skyrocketed, they behave unethically, and it is not possible to speak with anyone with the authority to address issues in a professional manner.

Hi Diane,

We're sorry to hear you've had a negative experience with us. We could not find your Clutter account based on the information provided. The quickest way to resolve this is to file your claim via your account portal. As soon as you do so, the Clutter Trust & Safety Team will work quickly towards resolving your claim.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

In May, I stored the contents of my one bedroom apartment near Boston with MakeSpace, which Clutter acquired shortly thereafter. When I had my items picked up, I was overcharged for the pickup fee because they overestimated the amount of material being stored. The first time I called, the agent didn't understand that if you charged someone for storing 10 feet by 10 feet of material you couldn't charge them for collecting 15 feet by 10 feet of material. I had to call more than once to resolve the issue because the first customer service representative didn't understand what should have been an obvious issue. To Clutter's credit, the second customer service representative I spoke to understood and reversed the overcharging.

Although this was annoying, storing my items has not been nearly as bad as retrieving them. Clutter offers no appointments in the Boston area for a full month, even though they advertise that you can "[h]ave your items delivered to your home at your convenience." When you try to call they just refer you to the website and you sometimes have to wait two days for them to call you back. If you miss the call, you have to start over because the number they give you just goes to voice mail or tells you to use the website. My wife and I found ourselves essentially homeless, having to either get a hotel or stay with friends while we waited for Clutter to return our property. Understand that Clutter does not allow you to collect your items with your own delivery team or by yourself.

Only after I raised a formal complaint with Clutter's Trust & Safety team did I get a substantive response. It took them nearly two weeks to respond and when they did they offered to reduce the delivery charge by a little less than half (they waived the appointment charge but not the labor charge). While I appreciated the gesture, it was too little too late. Thanks to Clutter's appalling service I spent a week barely sleeping on an air mattress and nearly got divorced. Do yourself a favor and avoid Clutter at all costs.

Hi Justin,

You are welcome to review the correspondence we provided and contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

My experience with Clutter has become increasingly negative over the year that I've used them. I initially chose to use them as opposed to any other service because it was newer, cheaper, and they would deliver my items for free. A year later none of those hold true, other than their newness. The cost of storage has steadily increased after the first three or four months of storing with them and continuously increases every two to three months.

Now they are charging you for final delivery. And if you are outside of their delivery area, you have to pay a third party vendor to pick up your things and deliver them to you but also you have to pay clutter if they have to deliver to that vendor. Let's not even get into how many up-charges to remove your items, the space use calculations and their lack of flexibility. On top of that if you have them ship you items, expect things to be damaged/missing. Accountability, oh there will be none. They can do this all as stated in their contract.

Hi Lisa,

We're sorry to hear you've had a negative experience with us. We could not locate your account based on the information provided. The quickest way to resolve this issue would be to file a claim via your account portal. Once you do, a member of our Trust and Safety team will review your claim.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

Hi - my experience with makespace (now merged with clutter) was so odd/bad. I expect more when the combined companies have raised ~$450 million overall it was the biggest company headache I've ever dealt with - plus they had all of my worldly possessions.

Some of the highlights:

- They don't tell you where they are taking your stuff - mine was taken over 60 miles away - even though online it appeared like they had facilities in my area.
- My mattress was in a different location than the rest of my items - I had to go 45 minutes in another direction to pick it up. But customers were not allowed in this facility so we met in the nearby home depot parking lot.

- I needed to schedule an appointment over a month in advance to get my items out, plus they were going to charge for that month (nowhere in emails/FAQs do they discuss the extra wait considerations).

- hundreds of dollars in hidden fees that they pointed me to their Terms of Service when I asked why
- My childhood paul frank cruiser front tire was missing and crushed :( upon pickup.

- The storage facilities themselves are pretty bad, mattresses are not covered/kept upright and bending (photo below).

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I have no words to describe how horrible my experience with Clutter has been. Starting with the deceit and hidden fees all the way to destroying half of my belongings and furniture, including my TV, my ceramic tables, vases. Almost every item they moved and packed at least had a scratch, and the majority of my high value items were completely destroyed. I signed up with this service thinking I would pay x amount (like they advertise when you sign up), but the day of the move, the fee increased by $500 without an explanation. They claimed that was what was shown the entire time? Lies. Refused to fully reimburse all my damaged belongings, and oh doesn't matter if they destroy your entire household items and everything you ever owned, per their policy, they will never refund more than $2500.

Horrible experience, damaged my old apartment during the move-out and my new apartment during the move-in with scratched on the floor, walls and debris everywhere. I wish I read a review like this before spending almost $4000 in moving, packing, and storage fees (FOR ONLY ONE MONTH). This ridiculous amount doesn't even cover all the money I lost from them destroying half of my furniture. Please avoid them like the plague - if you think you're saving money, you will absolutely end up paying at least double the amount in "hidden fees". I have moved a dozen of times before, and even from coast to coast, and have never had a horrible experience like this one. If you care about your money, your belongings, your sanity and mental health do not use this horrible company.

Hi Nada,

We apologize you were involved in a claim, for privacy reasons we cannot discuss the details of your claim. Publicly we can confirm it was assessed according to the protection plan. You are welcome to review the correspondence we provided and contact us if you have any additional questions.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

I hired Clutter moving to move my 2 bedroom apartment in Jersey City, NJ to about 20 miles northwest of the city in Bergen County. The Clutter movers sent 2 trucks and 5 people for a 1,200 sq ft apartment for a relatively attractive price ($359 per hour). We had about 80% of the apartment already packed with Clutter to take care of the kitchen and all large items packed for us. We originally agreed on a small package, but upgraded to the full packing plan (additional $199).

Here is where Clutter falls short. While the kitchen was packed beautifully and took a rather long amount of time - the rest of the packing items seemed to have missed the mark. We had several painting and canvas items bent, small plastic drawers broken, and even a monitor (that they packed) completely smashed and no longer working. When submitting a claim - we learned that even though that they packed the item, it was not covered. In no time during the packing was this made known that the packing plan was NOT covered. So, for example, if they packed your $5,000 TV and broke it - tough luck! Not a good look Clutter.

All in all - it took 9 or so hours for the move (this included an hour of travel) where they did not unpack anything (this was not included) but did put together any furniture they disassembled. I tipped the team well and they went off. It wasn't until the day after unpacking the many boxes and bubble wrap that we found the damage to our items. Let me be clear that the team worked incredibly hard to move us. They, all in all, did fantastic, they just were not as careful as they should be. The problem here lies with the communication and customer service. Their basic plan covers "$1 per pound" which is apparently $18 for a $500 monitor that I now have to replace. I recommend getting the insurance policy even if they do everything for you because somehow, they don't cover their own work.

Hi Chris,

We apologize some of your items were damaged. The quickest way to resolve this is to file a claim for the items you have not filed a claim for. A member of our team will be reaching out to explain next steps.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

If you want to be scammed, this is the company for you! If I Could give this company 0 stars. I would. To start off, I was told that it would be a flat rate of $300 to have my items redelivered. Now that Makespace was acquired by Clutter I am going to have to pay close to $500 to have my things delivered. You pay over $300/month and can't contact customer service by phone. The agents that respond to you through chat are EXTREMELY unprofessional.

I reached out before my bill was due and received to response from the chat agent after asking if we were still connected. Due to her not responding I was forced to pay for September storage in its ENTIRETY even though my items will not be in their facilities the full month. Despite this being the fault of the agent, the price to pay was quite literally COMPLETELY on me. Also, the appointment date I originally NEEDED is no longer available! I have to wait 7 days later! On top of that proration isn't guaranteed. If you want to save yourself the headache, please go with another storage company. I am absolutely DISGUSTED with their level of customer service.

Hi Ania,

We're sorry to hear you had a negative experience with us. A member of our Trust and Safety team will be reaching out to you to discuss.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

Deceitful. Avoid at all costs. There is not enough room to share my continued horrible experience with Clutter. They screwed up our move back in April. What should have been 1 day of packing and moving, turned into two days, with an extra day of huge labor costs. I filled out a form online for the move. No one called me. No one suggested a video walk through. There was no option to choose GARAGE or BASEMENT, which I had. They sent two people to pack and move an entire house.

Fast forward- our stuff is somewhere in the world at a Clutter storage facility. I finally got an address of the facility, and the Google search says it is an Amazon warehouse. The address is: 800 Arlington Blvd, Ste B Swedesboro NJ 08085. Why would Clutter be storing our belongings in an Amazon facility, or are your belongings ever there? I want visual proof, not the online portal where I can see the photos of the items, that they are in a safe Clutter owned facility. We're out of the service area. Service area? I am sure this was in the fine print, but NEVER was this explained to us when deciding on Clutter. Now, we have to have Clutter move our stuff to another mover, pay hourly fees, and then have that mover move our stuff to us ($6,000+). To make matters worse, reputable movers want an inventory list and to SPEAK with someone at Clutter to coordinate. Good luck! Not happening.

I have three unanswered voicemails. One call from them, where an inventory list and follow up email was promised (never happened). Clutter will say that they gave us some money off on the 2nd appointment in April. True. But the second appointment should have been fully compensated (it was no fault of my own that they couldn't move in one day and sent too few people and have a terrible system of packing). I continue to dispute, that they should have fully compensated the 2nd appointment. How Clutter has a BBB rating of A+ baffles me. One moving company I contacted to be the ones Clutter delivers to said, "We will never work with them, they are a scam."

Hi Tim,

We apologize for the negative experience you've had with us. We have sent you a follow up email to discuss next steps.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

I am not the sort of person to leave reviews but feel compelled to share my horrible experience with Clutter’s “smart storage” to deter other young renters from falling prey to their promises of savings/convenience. This company made my move to lower Connecticut an expensive, stressful, hellish hassle. Clutter fails in three major ways:

1. (NOT-SO-)SMART STORAGE. If, like me, you have used Manhattan Mini Storage before where you must rent a physical storage locker with fixed dimensions, there is an allure to this optimized warehouse storage system. That way you can pay for exactly the space you use, right? No. They arbitrarily set “storage sizes” rather than allowing you to pay for what you need. Using their online storage estimators I was declared eligible for a basic plan. About 2/3 of the way through packing up my belongings, the movers told I was being added to a more expensive monthly plan for double the space.

Here’s the kicker: when I was suggested the smaller plan online, I had actually OVERestimated the number of boxes I would be bringing, which leads me to think their software estimations are deliberately deceptive. As a further note, the movers worked very slowly; you are paying by the hour for them to take photographs of all your items and upload their dimensions into an online inventory system.

2. ACCESS/DELIVERY. Clutter insists you hire them to move your belongings in and out of their warehouse. They do not tell you where this warehouse is. This means you are entirely beholden to their limited calendar of available delivery times. You cannot access your own possessions when you want to. And they deliver to a limited range of zip codes that is only visible online as a long paragraph of digits —not a helpful map. Trying to schedule my delivery, I found out my new apartment, which is easily accessible on the MTA Metro-North, was not “in their service range.” I had to pay for them to deliver to a third-party moving company, who I then had to pay for a full regular move. This was another massive unplanned expense on top of the additional storage fees from their first quote to me. I should also note they missed their 3-hour delivery window, which was first thing in the morning so I had planned my whole day prior around it.

3. CUSTOMER SERVICE. As you can imagine, I was in a terrible bind trying to figure out how logistically manage this move without spending a fortune. They do not have anyone you can call. Their only phone number leads to a voicemail box. They prefer you ask questions through a text chat on their site where you receive generic form replies punctuated by the occasional “yes,” “no,” or “let me see”. Never before have I seen a company try so hard to avoid speaking with its customers, which felt unbelievably disrespectful given the position their misleading information had put me in.

I am giving them two stars rather than one because, despite the tremendous expense and inconvenience, they did manage to keep my belongings in good condition, and I don’t want to sound unfair or prejudicial in my assessment of this service. Still, I would strongly encourage anyone to use other services, especially if there is any possibility you will need a delivery out of the city. I have had much better experiences with Dorm2Dorm as a student and then Manhattan Mini Storage.

Hello,

The Clutter Team

Original review: Aug. 28, 2022

Please please do not use Clutter. Everyone I know who has used this company, had an experience similar to mine. From getting your belongings into storage, the up charges and removing your items from storage, Clutter is a nightmare. I will be writing the Better Business Bureau about their practices, my lost items and broken belongings. For two months of storage, Clutter charged me more than $2,500, lost my belongings and broke my stuff. Truly, a scam.

Customer Service - firstly, to speak to someone at Clutter via phone, you have to wait 4 business days. Yes, 4 business days! Even if you have a time sensitive issue, doesn’t matter! And sometimes even after 4 days, they simply won’t call you. Clutter insists that you can speak to a representative via their “chat” feature online. But it is a glorified chat bot. No actual help. I don’t know how they can treat customers this way.

Getting Items into Storage - They use a special “technology” to estimate how much space you need, but it is really a money grab. For example, they calculated the size of my couch and insisted that the size of the couch cushions (which ordinarily lay inside the couch) would need to be calculated separately. Meaning, according to Clutter, my 72 inch couch miraculously requires a 144 inches to be stored. This is just an example. Clutter used this method with every item I put in storage. So, regardless of how much stuff you have, Clutter will do anything to “upgrade you” to a larger storage room. Which is an astronomical cost. Additionally, the movers are paid by the hour and took nearly 5 hours to move a studio apartment. Several times, I found the movers watching TikTok on their phones, instead of moving my furniture.

Getting items out of storage - I arranged a 3rd party moving company to get my items out of storage. I was moving across the country. I set up an appointment with Clutter weeks in advance. The night before my appointment, Clutter informs me that they lost several items and that my movers could only pick up some of my storage. The lost items should be “picked up at another time.” No additional information on this. Can’t reach anyone at Clutter to ask how I can retrieve my belongings. Can’t ask who is paying for the second moving van since I’m moving across the country. Oh and this doesn’t mention how Clutter broke my belongings in storage. Truly, they are a nightmare. Avoid at all costs.

Hello,

We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner.

Thank you. The Clutter Team

Resolution response: Aug. 24, 2022

We have been able to resolve this issue and our items are being returned. I think this company is developing a needed and useful service, they just need to work out the kinks. Everything was really smooth and easy up until my son missed the delivery truck. We fully accept his mistake and have no problem paying the missed delivery fee.

Improvements would be customer service people who can override their electronic system and make appointments. I spoke to several customer service people trying to reschedule his delivery and they did not have any more access than I did online. (3 weeks out). They also told me all I could do was keep checking the website for cancellations. I spent a full day refreshing the site, not a good use of my time. After a full day of trying I finally got someone who could remedy the situation and they were able to schedule a delivery within the week.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

We used Clutter to store my son's dorm essentials over the summer. He accidently slept through his alarm and missed the delivery truck. He had just traveled on the red eye from the west coast to the east coast so it was a understandable accident. Clutter has a fee for the missed appointment which we are happy to pay. The problem is now they will not let us pick up his items. He has to wait 3 weeks for the next available online appointment. I have had to purchase all new bedding and essentials as he cannot wait for 3 weeks. I understand if they cannot deliver it, but I do not understand why he cannot go pick it up. It is only a few bins of items. It would be very simple for them to leave it in an office, away from their general warehouse. Do NOT use this service for items you need access to.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

We've been their customers for 2.5 years now. We signed up with them with the promise of them delivering all our items "free of charge" when we want to close our account. We recently got an email saying they decided to charge us for moving all our stuff unless we move our stuff within a month. I really don't understand how they can do such a big change with a such short notice. Reached out to their customer service, they basically said we can do whatever we want.

BEWARE, they have the right to change any promotion they are giving you during sign-up!!!!!! I am now stuck with them because I am in a different state and cannot move my stuff before they change their policy, because they only gave 1 month notice. I have to pay at least $600 to move my stuff out. This is not fair way to do business, I really wish I just rented a regular storage back then. Stay away!

Hi Sedef,

We apologize you've had a negative experience. Rate adjustments are standard industry practice. Clutter gives all customer's a 30 day notice before any rate adjustments take place. We understand this does not meet your expectations, but we can confirm we have explained all operational options.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS!!! I hired Make Space (predecessor to Clutter) back in July 2020, middle of the pandemic as I was not sure if I would be staying in NYC. My experience with their pick up and packing was decent and normal for what NYC standards are with moving companies. I was paying 220ish a month for what would be about a studio apartment. I finally settled and decided to move to Texas in which I contacted what is now Clutter which has been a nightmare the last few months.

1. First of all I had a hard time finding my account and items as they didn't provide an easy way to make this process from Make Space to Clutter. 2. Then I receive a change of policy on their charges which increase my monthly to 280ish. 3. I called in May to try to retrieve my items and SURPRISE! I am not able to do so myself nor they allow to get a UHAUL or so close to their site - they ask for a "meeting point" to deliver my things that way they can charge you at least $79 for truck service and between $20-25 per item delivered. 4. Finally after circling around a way for them to try to charge me their delivering fees, they mentioned I could hire a professional moving company to retrieve the items from their warehouse.

All above was back in May 2022, finally TODAY I was finally able to get to the point of hiring a moving company to pick up my things - I try contacting them to schedule the appointment (which also their phone is no longer working so only fast communication is by chat, email or phone which can take up to 48 hrs to get a call from them - I used Chat) and this is what happens: 1. According to Lizzel, since July 28th 2022 they changed their policy and now they do not allow professional movers to enter their warehouse and my only option is to get my stuff again delivered to some middle point and get charged around $1k for that.

After reading all reviews now I am even doubting they have my stuff in warehouse so I ask for visual proof and the customer service lady tells me "You have an access to your online portal Cristina" to which I replied that those pictures were from 2020 and I needed current photos of my things in their warehouse and they can only confirm verbally. At this point I am considering just letting my things go but I am worried as I have personal paperwork and information that might get into the wrong hands. All of this CLUTTER does not care!!!

This is a fraudulent company, which uses your personal belongings to gut out of you anything they can. DO NOT TRUST, they will change their policy as they seem convenient. Has anyone considered filing a lawsuit? It seems they are just taking advantage of working professionals that needed temporary storage and definitely took advantage of Covid situation. I am so frustrated now for their lack of tact and just destroyed to think I will loose my memories from my 7 years living in New York.

Hi Cristina,

We understand your concerns, and have offered all the operational solutions that are available at this time. While we understand this does not fully meet your expectations, we can confirm we have explained and/or exhausted operational options.

The Clutter Team

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

First, they are expensive per square foot of storage and they will change your monthly fee without notice. Second and worse, they are VERY CARELESS with your property. Between picking my items, storing them for 13 months and delivering them back to me, THEY BROKE 5 OF ITEMS AND LOST 2. I have paid Clutter more than $6000 in fees I didn't complain, just paid my bill. Now I am left with my most important pieces broken and unusable.

The cost to replace the antique mirror (one of a kind), fix the legs snapped legs on a wood credenza (they don't even have the broken legs so I can attempt to have them fixed), fix the bent leg and shelf on a stainless steel credenza, and all the legs on a teak side table is about $9000. I filled out all the claims on these items only to have a nice customer service rep tell me the MAXIMUM COVERAGE IS $2500. Then they rejected the biggest repair because they felt the item as already damaged even though the before pictures show it standing in the original condition. Full transparency someone put contact cement on one of the legs when it was at my ex's place, not sure why.

Then along comes Grace, the supervisor but only after I called and texted the company's CEO. Grace explained that it's not their policy to compensate for any damage to items they deem to have existing damage. She offered me an additional $1100 dollars (a total of $2500) to remedy all the damage. Grace won't have a real conversation with you, she is trained to recite the company's policies regardless of what is in front of her eyes. Nice one Grace.

Imagine you take your car to the carwash, they do a circle check, note a scratch on the bumper and wash the car. Then the guy bringing it around loses control and smashes into a wall. He props himself up then says, "Sorry but we can't pay for the damage because there was a scratch on your bumper before." The insurance coverage seems reasonable enough when you get it for an additional $25 per month - What reputable company would break or lose more than that? We've all put things in storage before, when was the last time you had this much damage to anything?

On the day of the return two young guys showed up, they were lost, THEY COULD BARELY LIFT MY COUCH, which arrived with a broken leg (and not included above because I had my handy man fix it. Their demeanor was "oh yeah, this is really poorly packed no wonder it was broken, we'd get fired for packing like this. Oh sorry yeah that was broken, not sure what happened." (Clutter does all the packing for those of you that don't know). For a nice cherry on top, my WOOD FLOORS WERE NOTICEABLY SCRATCHED in 3 different places. And the Claims department has rejected 2 of 3 claims, citing that it should all be covered by the first approved claim ($100). The whole service is picking up your stuff, storing your stuff and returning your stuff the same why they got it. It's not difficult, but apparently it is. THEY HAD NO IDEA WHERE ANY OF THE HARDWARE was for any of the items that they took apart.

At the same time Clutter showed up, I had another moving company deliver some other items from my previous home. They were pro, they had tools, and didn't leave a single scratch on anything. They were so pro. STAY AWAY FROM CLUTTER, the THE ONLY THING THIS DISRUPTOR IS DISRUPTING IS YOUR PROPERTY AND YOUR WALLET - there isn't a single pro in this business, it's nearly impossible to get anyone from Claims on the phone. (You have to call Ari the CEO) I have numerous emails about the same thing only to get a boiler plate emails telling me there are no guarantees that anything will be made right. There are three important lessons learned from this experience, one - do your homework, read the reviews. Two - read the fine print on the contract there's always fine print. And three PICK ANY COMPANY BUT THIS ONE for moving and storage.

Hi A,

The Clutter Team

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! My son who is in graduate school was moving from his apartment to another apartment. He first called this company and they told him that his move would be two hours at $175 per hour. My son had packed all his boxes and it would not have even taken 2 hours since the distance was less than a mile. From the beginning the two people who were supposed to be professional movers were not at all professional. They said they first had to take pictures of all items but they did not take the first item until an hour into the move! My son sent an email to the company about 30 min into the process to raise objections and explain that they were not moving!

Instead of $375 original quote, the company charged my credit card $712 for additional hours. My son called and emailed over and over again and finally the company agreed to refund $80 which I have not even seen! This company misrepresents the charges to get the customer and then cheats them. I will not only dispute the charges with my credit card company but I am thinking of suing them and get punitive damages for fraud.

Hi Marjan,

We apologize that we are not able to fully satisfy your concern. For privacy purposes, we cannot discuss the resolution that was provided but can confirm that we did complete a full review.

The Clutter Team

Original review: July 28, 2022

They find ways to charge you and get away with it. When I first booked clutter, I spoke with someone on the phone who said the way I had my items going into storage was fine and I didn’t have to do anything. It was a bunch of clothes and shoes in garbage bags. When the movers got there, they had to put everything in boxes; which they did of course for an extra fee for the boxes and labor charge. Annoying. The movers then explained to me how I can get anything I want out of my storage at no charge. The only way to get it is for them to bring it back to me. They cannot let you go to the warehouse and pick it up yourself. So I was like well that’s convenient.

Fast forward to 2 months later and I want some things out and to put different stuff in since I’m locked into a 8 month commitment. They tell me it’s a charge per item to return back to me and charge per item to put into storage. LOL. What a joke. So I empty my storage to get everything returned back and I schedule an appointment for Saturday. Mind you this costs upwards of $300 JUST TO GET MY STUFF OUT OF STORAGE. So I suddenly need to change the appointment from Saturday to Friday, and the reschedule button won’t let me complete the change. So I try to chat with customer service, I end up getting kicked out of the chat over and over.

I email them and get an email back saying I need to log in to my account and reschedule the appointment that way. When I sent screenshots of the reschedule button not working. Hello? Are you dumb?? I literally just said and screenshot and emailed about that being EXACTLY MY PROBLEM. So now I’m stuck with this Saturday appointment because the Friday one is no longer available and IF I were to cancel it today, I’ll get charged another $100 for canceling. Terrible business. Don’t use them, they’ll scam you out of more and more money just because they can. It’s like they hold your stuff hostage unless you pay whatever fees they make up to “keep up with the changing market” such a terrible business. Especially since people like me who obviously don’t have space and need storage are most likely not in the best financial position. I have two kids and take care of them alone and I’ve paid over $700 in the last two months for a stupid storage. Smh.

Hi Carla,

We understand your concerns. After review, we confirmed we have communicated accurate pricing and storage information during and after booking your appointments. Since you selected the 8 month commitment, the early cancellation fees are valid. Additionally, our appointments are first come, first serve, so we could not accommodate changing your appointment 3 days in advance. We understand your concerns, and had offered all the operational solutions that were available. While we understand this does not fully meet your expectations, we can confirm we have explained/exhausted all operational options.

The Clutter Team

Original review: July 20, 2022

I put my apartment contents in storage with MakeSpace in 2021 and had a very positive experience. The company was taken over by Clutter, the monthly price increased, and now that I am trying to take my items out of storage, it is truly impossible to coordinate with Clutter. The only practical solution (although with an exorbitant price) is to have your items delivered in their service area. Since I am no longer planning to move back to DC, this is impossible and every alternative plan I make goes in circles with lack of responses from Clutter, conflicting information, or insane pricing. I literally feel trapped. I can't even confirm the zip codes of their service area and every question takes days to receive a response. I work internationally and do not have months to eventually access my personal items after hours and hours of follow up. I cannot overemphasize my frustration and disappointment and urge others to not use this service.

Clutter response

Hi Julia, We truly apologize for the negative experience you’ve had, and we’d like to connect with you to try and resolve this issue for you. We were unable to locate your account based on your information here, so please send us a message through your account portal to get in touch with the Trust & Safety Team. Sincerely, The Clutter Team

Original review: July 17, 2022

Stole/broke over 10k in my belongings and refused to replace/return it because it’s their policy. Their own delivery drivers told me they saw more of my stuff in storage they need to bring and they refuse to return. Unless you want to have your stuff stolen, gone through, or broke. Never use them.

Clutter response

Hi Joseph, We truly apologize for the negative experience you’ve had, and we’d like to connect with you to try and resolve this issue for you. We were unable to locate your account based on your information here, so please send us a message through your account portal to get in touch with the Trust & Safety Team. Sincerely, The Clutter Team

Original review: July 16, 2022

I paid approximately $16 monthly to store two small bins of paper documents for four years with Makespace. After every billing cycle, I would receive a confirmation email of my payment. For the first two months that Clutter operated, my billing was the same and I continued to receive payment confirmations. Then my bill went up to $107 monthly and I no longer received the email confirmations of payment. I didn't notice that I was overpaying for three months as a result. Initially, my bank reversed the charges. Then after a lot of back and forth with their shady customer service, I was told that they would reverse the charges if I cancelled the bank investigation/claim. I ended up cancelling the claim (which cannot be restarted as a result) and now Clutter says the money cannot be refunded because of their payment processor. Ridiculous.

Here is my advice: Clutter is essentially in the real estate business; think of them as slumlords, the worst of the worst. They will hold your possessions ransom while they pile on charges and weasel every penny they can, referring to cryptic policies and basic shenanigans. In addition, a weaselly company like that you should assume has no regard for your possessions. If you end up getting your stuff back damaged or infested with black mold, etc., they will find a way to charge you extra.

Clutter response

Hi Chris, We truly apologize for the negative experience you’ve had, and we’d like to connect with you to try and resolve this issue for you. We were unable to locate your account based on your information here, so please send us a message through your account portal to get in touch with the Trust & Safety Team. Sincerely, The Clutter Team

Original review: July 14, 2022

Clutter purchased Make Space storage where my furniture was located. They damaged over $12k of furniture. I was told by the onsite manager of Clutter that most of the Make Space customers had damage and that Clutter was going to pay for damage out of a fund that was created at purchase. My leather couch arrived with bleached cushions and dining room table was broken. They offered me $300 if I would go online and state my issues were resolved. I refused to do this. Beware, don't use Clutter for storage. Read other reviews, they have horrible customer service and damaged goods. I wasn't a year of monthly fees to receive furniture unusable.

Hi Pat,

We understand you're unsatisfied with the claim decision. However, your items were handled by third-party movers. We have reached out to try to offer a resolution, and we would like to improve your experience with us.

Original review: July 14, 2022

This company (purchased a company MakeSpace) is just as fraudulent as its predecessor. I received an email 2 years after I moved saying they found my lost box with a photo. Why did I receive this email? Oh because they CHARGED ME $351 for storage and my credit card alerted me. When I scheduled the delivery of my lost box that cost $351/month in storage two days later suddenly it was lost again. Now the box is gone, with only a refund that has not been posted. They do not store your things in a storage container as advertised. They throw it all in a warehouse. Easily lost. My two other friends that have used this company: 1. Had a whole box of very nice suits show up water damaged. 2. Was charged for months for storage 2x what her boxes added up to and had to calculate what she knew upon pick up to fight this battle. Do not use this service. It is a swindle.

Hi Leigh,

Sincerely, The Clutter Team

Original review: June 27, 2022

I had an appointment with them through their new subsidiary MakeSpace (who I had used before with no issues) to pick up and store my items before moving. Long story short, they never showed up to the appointment and ended up canceling on me at 5:30 pm (even though I originally reached out at 9 am) and telling me there was nothing they could do even though the issue was on their end and my only option was to make a new appointment and schedule a pick up for THEIR next availability which was days away and AFTER me lease ended. Even though they admitted the issue was their mistake and I told them my lease was ending, they refused to help any further. Since I trusted this company to show up to our agreed upon and confirmed appointment, I was left having to figure out a whole new moving and storage plan for the next day starting at 5:30 pm on a Sunday.

Hi Becca,

We are sorry to hear that you experienced an appointment cancelation as we understand the frustration and inconvenience that can cause. A member of our Trust & Safety team will be reaching out to follow up further.

The Clutter Team

Original review: June 24, 2022

I truly believe Clutter's marketing is the epitome of bait and switch. When I found this company online it was all about "fair pricing", easy service etc. When I decided to sign up for your moving service I was quoted less than $1,000 + the $49/hr for PACKING and the 10' x 10' storage unit. CLUTTER SUGGESTED IT - I DIDN'T REQUEST THIS SIZE!! I took my time to add all of my items including even going back to the portal to increase the boxes from 30 to 40 just to be on the safe side. AND I figured I would need only an hour of the "packing" service to wrap my couch and a few other items.

When the Clutter team arrived (the guys were really great) and got about halfway through the move I received a text saying I was already at 90% capacity and needed to pay an additional $600 for the team to continue. They literally asked me if I wanted the movers to stop in the middle of my move to avoid the additional charges. THEN I was also informed that I had to pay $49/hr for LABOR - not just PACKING. I WOULD HAVE TO PAY AN ADDITIONAL $49/HR FOR EVERY MINUTE THE MOVERS WERE AT MY HOUSE - it took them 6 hours, UNBELIEVABLE! Once the move was complete my affordable $1,000 quote ended up costing me over $1,600!!!

This was NOT in my budget to pay over $1,600. If I had received a real estimate I would NOT have booked with Clutter. Further, when I called customer service the representative I spoke with was condescending, asking me if, "I wanted free storage or something"? I don't want anything free, I just want to pay what I was quoted or at least close to it. This is a 40% increase and unacceptable. Further, I noticed in the pictures that my items are not in a storage unit. They are in an open warehouse, marked off by tape. This is why the storage adds up fast, they cannot store upward, like packing boxes on top of each other because there are no walls. STAY AWAY! GO WITH A TRADITIONAL MOVING AND STORAGE, at least the pricing will be upfront.

Hello Undra,

We sincerely apologize for this negative experience you had with Clutter. We take pride in offering transparent and fair pricing, anything less than that is not the standard that we have set as a company. Our Trust & Safety team has reached out so we can fully investigate this matter and find a resolution for your concerns.

The Clutter Team

Original review: June 23, 2022

If I could give zero stars I would. My furniture was picked up by Make-A-Space, during storage, Clutter took over. I had several marble pieces and made sure I encased furniture in cardboard, shipping foam and my personal shipping blankets to ensure safety. Pick-up and delivery team were excellent and careful with items and homes. When Clutter took over Make-A-Space and prices increased exponentially for storage and return. I found myself outside of Clutter's service area and had a hassle with set up for return of my items. All items returned with damaged. Bedroom set returned with furniture blankets torn with exposed damaged wood, chips, dents and broken bureau draw and desk leg.

Marble top dining room table left my previous home covered in cardboard and protective wrapping (see picture) to ensure protection, they were also wrapped in personal moving blankets in addition, only to be returned with cardboard/protective covering removed, clutter had one of their moving blankets covering the underside wooden part of table, but the marble top of table was completely exposed with deep gouges and large chips on top and all around edges. In addition, my mattress has not been returned and I'm waiting to find out if it’s been found in the warehouse, or lost for good. Only good part is the actual delivery guys were careful with moving items in/out of home to prevent damage to furniture or house, as well as sympathetic & helpful. Apparently Clutter doesn't supervise the items once it gets to their warehouse to prevent damage unloading/reloading trucks and moving with facility.

I’m extremely frustrated and unhappy with the damage and cannot use the dining room table, which will need to be replaced as damage is significant and cannot be repaired. Bedroom furniture also in disrepair and cannot get replacement parts. They will only reimburse $1:00 per pound of furniture, which won’t replace the broken pieces. I will never use, or recommend this company going forward! If you choose to use them, purchase the expensive extra insurance on your items, as the likelihood of damage is a guarantee!

Hello Regina,

We would like to sincerely apologize for this experience and for the damage to your items. Clutter takes pride in carefully storing and moving our customer's items. Any experience that does not demonstrate that level of care is not the standard we have set as a company.

Our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution. We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner.

The Clutter Team

Original review: June 12, 2022

A warning to those who think they are protected if/when things are lost. I stored my one-bedroom apartment with MakeSpace (which joined Clutter during the tenure of my storage) from September 2021 to June 2022, and unfortunately have been immensely disappointed with the return service. Once I decided to take my items out of storage, I began encountering problem after problem. The evening before my items were to be delivered from the storage warehouse I received an email marked "URGENT" explaining that my mattress and topper (together), the largest item I had stored, would not be included in my delivery the next day. There was no further information provided on what the issue was or what my options were as next steps. As my items were set to be delivered to a shipping company as I have since moved abroad, I spent all night trying to get in touch with someone to figure out what was going on, with no luck.

The next day, after the rest of my items arrived and with no further information from the moving staff or the corporate staff on my mattress, I continued calling, emailing, and trying the online form until I finally found out that my mattress and topper had been mysteriously lost at an unknown time. I was told that I should hold my shipment as they were locating the items, and I could submit a claim for compensation if they were not found. I was also assured that the claims department would get in contact with me within 3-5 business days.

It has now been well over a week since I submitted my claim, and I have yet to receive any communication from the claims department. I have called to follow up several times, all to no avail. Most recently, I was told by the general call center that the claims department was "offering" $107 for my $2500 mattress and topper (despite the fact that I provided links to the items and their cost, which I was told would result in per-value compensation) and that they were no longer trying to find my lost belongings. I have been holding the rest of my shipment up for over 2 weeks, and have only just found out they were not actually trying to locate the mattress after all. All of this is costing time, money and of course unnecessary stress.

The claims department has yet to communicate with me directly via phone or email at all. I have not been officially "offered" anything; moreover, $107 does nothing to help me replace a $2500 mattress/topper combination that was specifically for back pain, neither does $107 correspond to the weight of the lost items (which is related to the insurance policy the company provides). Additionally, the company is not able to verify when my mattress and topper were lost, so I don't know that they ever even made it to the warehouse in the first place; meanwhile I've been paying to "store" those items for nine months and haven't been offered any compensation for that either.

I wish I didn't have to be writing this review. I wish I didn't have to be dealing with this problem, especially amidst the baseline stress that comes with moving. But the reason for doing this isn't because there was a problem with the storage provided by MakeSpace/Clutter; it's because of the complete lack of service and the inability of anyone so far to take responsibility for the problem. I hope someone will see this and I can finally get the full compensation I deserve and need to afford a new suitable mattress.

Hi Yael,

We are sorry to hear that you experienced lost items and are dissatisfied with our claim process and response time. A member of our Trust & Safety team will be reaching out to you to follow up on your concerns and attempt to work towards a resolution.

The Clutter Team

Original review: June 10, 2022

Updated on 06/22/2022: After we left Clutter/MakeSpace a negative review on June 10, we got the usual "let's work this out" message. After STILL being unable to reach either Clutter or MakeSpace for days, Clutter finally reached out. We were able to make an appointment to have our stuff delivered from storage, only to have MakeSpace try to reschedule at the last minute. Then we logged on to look at our delivery online, only to find they have NO RECORD of our stuff. Our experience has gone from inconvenient to criminal waste of time to nightmarish with no relief in sight. Whatever you do, avoid dealing with this disaster of a company if you possibly can.

Original Review: We have been storing hundreds of dollars worth of household furniture and effects with Makespace for years. Since the Clutter acquisition, we have not been able to reach Makespace by email or phone. Emails are not answered. Calls go immediately to hold and we have waited up to 30 minutes with no luck. Have our items been stolen? Sold? Lost? We have no idea, and Makespace won't talk to us. If this sounds like the customer experience you're looking for, by all means use Makespace or Clutter. Otherwise, run do not walk away.

Hi John,

We truly apologize for the negative experience you’ve had while trying to get in touch with our Customer Experience Team. We’d like to connect with you to resolve this issue quickly for you.

However, we could not locate your account based on your information here. Therefore, for the next steps, our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you through a private message to connect and discuss further. We look forward to resolving this matter soon fully.

The Clutter Team.

Resolution response: June 17, 2022

Was fully compensated for broken items.

Original review: June 7, 2022

Arrived before appointment time. Took 7 hours to move my studio apartment. Broke my computer monitor, my record player stand, and a giant sheet of glass in the lobby. Refused to compensate me for it in total costing me hundreds of dollars. Were not able to get my couch up the stairs even though another moving company was able to. Sent the same mover that broke the sheet of glass when taking things out of storage to add insult to injury.

Hi Tim,

We apologize for the level of service that you have received while storing with us. We take pride in carefully storing our customers' items, and any experience that does not demonstrate such care is below the standards we have set as a company. As a result, our Trust & Safety Team will be reaching out to you to investigate further and work towards a resolution. We hope to fully solve this issue in a quick and fair manner.

Clutter Company Information