2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.59/5

Take a Moving Companies Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Allied Van Lines is a moving company offering local, long-distance, international, residential and corporate moves. It provides a wide array of moving services, including online tracking, full-service packing and full valuation coverage. Allied’s costs can be high, but customers enjoy the peace of mind they get from its long history of successful moves.

Take a Moving Companies Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

Allied Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allied Van Lines?
      How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allied Van Lines?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

Contacted Allied Moving to arrange a move from one province to another. They sub-contracted to a local Winnipeg company - Winnipeg Moving & Storage. My actual bill (based on weight) increased by 60% from the original estimate. Either the salesperson was incompetent in his estimate or they gave me a low estimate and then once they had my deposit and belongings I had no choice but to pay the invoice. I also noticed my final bill had picked up weight of 32.2 but the drop off weight charges were 40. How did the weight of my belongings increase by 7.8 during transit or was I paying for someone else's stuff? Again I was overcharged. I would definitely not recommend them and give them a negative star rating.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Absolutely unreliable and unprofessional company. Dec 18th they arrived to move the contents of my home. They tell me that they aren’t going to move the entire contents of the house, even though the contract was for the full house. Took 3 hours of arguing with them before they realized they made a mistake and they should be moving the entire content, I’m troubled because I must leave the house by 4:30 pm as the house has been sold and I will be charged money if I do not vacate it by that time.

I’m late on leaving the house. The contract was scheduled for a delivery by no later than the 28th of December. When the truck doesn’t show on the 28th they change the contract for Delivery on the 30th. When the truck doesn’t show on the 30th they changed the contract for delivery on the 3rd. When the truck doesn’t’ show up on the 3rd (it’s broken down on the road). They change the contract on me again for delivery on the 5th. (They have had my cargo for 2.5 weeks at this point.) I get the delivery and a few things are damage and the driver tells me that there is no proof that it was damaged in transit. 2 out of the 3 things that were damaged were packed by the company. I cannot collect on insurance.

I get a call on the 7th telling me that they lost my credit card information and I need to give it to them again so they can charge me for the delivery (the charge was supposed to be done 1 day prior to delivery but their office forgot to do it). I’m having a problem with my credit card because I just moved and changed addressed on every legal document I owed. The credit card was having an issue with double payments to vendors, so it was temporarily on hold while they resolve it. I get another call on the 9th (3 days later) saying that they were going to take my bill that was late of 4 days and send it to collections the following morning. 4 days and to collections? I couldn't believe it. This company was a nightmare to work with.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I've moved many times and because of my experience I knew it was important to go with a credible van company. A non credible company might not deliver your goods anywhere near the date they said they would, would damage your property due to negligent packing, would hire inexperienced, unprofessional people. Allied assured me that I was safe from all of these possibilities. And yet, they committed all of them and much worse than I imagined.

We moved from Los Alamos, NM to Eugene, OR. We were told our shipment could arrive within five days and that they would keep us updated along the way. We would have used this time to vacation along the way to Eugene, but because of the short deadline we skipped out on those opportunities to meet the truck. Ha! The truck did not arrive for three and a half weeks. No one could tell us where it went because, we later learned, they had subcontracted our move out, which I was told in the beginning, they would never do. They did not have communication with the sub contractors for about a week.

As we called and called while sleeping on the floor of our new rental, we were told they "didn't know where our stuff was." This seems hard to believe, but it happened. The man who I initially signed up with stopped taking my phone calls. He also went on vacation a day after we started our move and didn't bother to tell us that or give us another contact. That man was with ABQ Moving and Storage but was a spokesman for Allied.

The delivery drivers were very unprofessional. The pick up driver was supposed to bring us extra boxes and packing material. When I asked him what we were supposed to do since we didn't have these materials and he didn't bring them he said, it was "not his problem, he never received the message." He even griped about the pay and how he had to work so hard. We ended up packing things ourselves within furniture using our blankets and sheets as packing supplies. Three and a half weeks later, I was starting to think our stuff had been stolen. As it turned out, the sub contracting company drove our truck to Arizona and parked it for several weeks without notification or intention to deliver it within the delivery window of two weeks.

We did speak with Allied representatives at this point who said they thought this situation was absolutely horrible and were sorry. They were especially embarrassed when they couldn't tell us where our stuff was. The truck was finally driven and dropped off with another sub contractor who then brought it to our house. The captain of this crew was an old cranky father who continually belabored his staff. It was tiring to listen to him, to say the least. They moved very slowly. We started helping unpack the truck so that we would be done before they day was over. It was summer, so we had long days, but still, they were still at it as the sun was cresting over the horizon.

As they unpacked, they told us over and over what an awful job this was and that we should submit claims. They, too, complained about how little they were paid and how much they were expected to do. Surprisingly, despite the earthquake shattered appearance of the packed walls within the truck, we only lost one piece of furniture; a large wooden file cabinet. Another piece of furniture was damaged, but we fixed it ourselves. Other small things were broken.

I specifically hired this company to be professional. They were the most unprofessional of movers that we have ever seen. We have moved ten times in the past 17 years. We could have hired a bunch of college kids to do a much better job and have paid a fraction of the cost. We paid $10,168. No one called us to apologize. No one reached out at all after we moved in. We had to purchase air beds for four, towels, blankets, everything so that we could camp out on the floor of our rental. This was an absolute atrocity. It was beyond offensive on so many levels and made our lives for three weeks exhausting and demeaning. I actually think we could sue this company and win. Do not use Allied Van Lines. They are distrustful, disrespectful and incredibly unprofessional.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Minnesota to Ohio. We hired Allied Van Lines to move us cross country. Because it was an expensive move, we tried to go with the cheaper option. Allied Vans came in a little less than other companies so we went with them. They loaded all of our stuff into a truck, took it to a warehouse 30 min away, unloaded it, then a few days later put it on a semi truck with multiple customer loads and sent it across country. There is no inventory or chain of custody when they transfer your things.

When they arrive, they tell you when the truck is being unloaded you need to check off the list of everything coming off the truck, what they don't say is that there are 4-5 people moving very quickly and you at the same time have to show them where things go in the house. It is almost impossible to check off every item as they are unloading. Long story short, Allied lost my entire golf set up, all of my clubs, shoes, balls, gloves, etc. It was very expensive. I did not realize this until a few weeks later though. When I called Allied they said, I had signed the papers when they left, so too bad. They basically said it was my fault that they lost my stuff. I tried taking a legal route but still they say too bad. Tldr: I hired Allied, they lost my stuff and took no responsibility.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

I have to agree with many of the previous comments and a class action lawsuit against Allied would be appropriate. I had an air purifier that was stolen and based on reading these reviews, I am grateful that's all I lost. I recently moved from Chicago to Arizona and used Federal/Whalen Moving & Storage in Waukegan, IL as the local booking agent. The destination agent was McWhite's North American. The Hauling Agent was TFC, Inc. (afflicted with Federal Peoria) in Overland, MO.

I thoroughly inspected my apartment in Chicago after the Whalen packers left and it appeared that everything was packed. Due to the small size of my apartment, I did not micromanage the packers to see the level of detail they used when completing the inventory. I instructed them to not deflate my air mattress and provided them with the plugs to keep it inflated.

When my goods arrived in AZ, the mattress was deflated and they had a hard time inflating it. The owner/operator who delivered my goods admitted to deflating my air mattress, despite my instructions to Whalen not to do so. He also admitted to opening some of boxes to "make room in the truck." This was apparent when he knew actually what box to open to find dish soap to wash his hands. After spending four days unpacking, I was missing an air purifier that Whalen would have had to put in a wardrobe box. I can only conclude that the Whalen packers or the owner/operator who delivered my property stole my air purifier.

I filed a claim and the claim adjuster Cindy ** informed me via letter that "the carrier has no support on any of the move documents that any items went missing from the shipment based on the signed delivery documents. Therefore, we must decline carrier liability for the claimed missing air purifier. Our records indicate that you opted for a $500 deductible to cover your possessions during your move. As the deductible amount must be met prior to any check issuance, we would have subtracted the $500 from any settlement amount."

In addition to the blatant lying and lack of accountability of Whalen and Allied, I see a moral hazard here. My apartment in Chicago was too small for me to watch the packers so I had no way to confirm that they didn't take something. I also had no way to see that they were accurately listing every item they packed on the inventory. What is to stop Allied packers from not listing an item on the inventory (and many items they tagged were not specifically listed on the inventory) and then steal the item? What is to stop a packer or mover from stealing some items?

Does the $500 deductible for my insurance coverage apply to lost or stolen items? If the deductible applies for lost or stolen items, then it's pretty easy to see how small items could be stolen and then a claim adjuster would say it's not covered because it's within the deductible. That would be quite a scam, wouldn't it? I plan on filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and appropriate state authorities.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

Jewerly and guns stolen in move. Allied would do nothing about it. Stay away. Refused to submit an insurance claim. People said they received lots of complaints from this company. Use day labor, not real employees.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

We recently used Allied Van Lines, Inc for moving our belongings from NC to OK and had our belongings damaged, our belongings reassembled incorrectly/missing parts, and our home was damaged by them. The movers noted on the report before they left admitting responsibility but the company has still denied the claim. They sent a furniture repairman to inspect our floor damage. I had a flooring company furnish me a quote and would expect them to do the same. Now after all we have been through we have to sue the company to hold them accountable. It's been a horrible experience and I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND using ACE Relocation Services above Allied. I know I will be regardless of the cost. I would also say if you use Allied verify the weights of the shipment at the scales, if your property is damaged call the police to file a report and take pictures of everything before and after.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Movers were careless in the packing. An entertainment cabinet fell apart when they were disassembling. At the receiving end they couldn't fix it. Carton labeling was poor. They broke two lamps, I had to fix a coffee table. The piano was moved properly though so I was glad for that.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

I used Allied Van Lines/Carey Moving & Storage when I moved from FL to NC. Driver hired local day workers who know zip about proper loading to minimize damage and can read the word "fragile" or "glass" on boxes. There was a lot of damage to the furniture that was never resolved with the company. The day workers were paid for the hours or day worked and gone so they could have cared less about causing damage. They know nothing about these people. They are exposing you to who appeared more interested in the electronics and security system than anything else. On the other end of the move, more local day workers were hired. Allied was not the cheapest company by any means of the three estimates I received and their reviews at that time were not mostly one star and definitely not five stars but comparable to the other companies.

I am once again looking for a company to move long distance and reading reviews and see absolutely nothing has changed with Allied. These reviews and pictures are upsetting and should be to Allied Corporate. These people are not professional movers, they are 18-wheel truck drivers who hire local thugs for petty wages and you are going to suffer the consequences. You will not receive compensation for lost/missing items or damage. They did arrive as scheduled and deliver as scheduled but beyond that the move was a disaster with the breakage beginning while they packed. They just don't care about your household goods or hiring qualified people who have a vested interest in minimizing damage. Driver was polite and easy going but the thugs he hired to pack and load were scary and were fighting among themselves. Who needs that on a stressful moving day?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

Moved from MA to MI. Cheated us by inflating carton counts and adding weight to truck when weighing load (per our driver). We found small items like pens wrapped alone in paper in cartons to bump up the count. Heavy items they said they’d dispose of were included in the weight we were charged. Asked for relief several times and was refused.

Allied Van Lines Company Information