3.37/5

Folsom, CA

368 Massage Envy Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 10, 2019

I’ve had good and bad experiences with M.E. But yesterday I had an appointment with my new therapist and I gotta tell you, she was extremely cute! Long story short we connected in a different way if you know what I mean! I loved massage and I’m sure she loved what I had for her!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I have been very pleased with my Massage Envy experience, and, from reading these reviews, can only surmise that it is because of the manager at the Burke, Virginia store. I bought a membership for myself and my daughter. Mine is $10 more a month, they give you a discount for the second. I have had these memberships nearly 10 years. I had to have surgery, etc., so I missed a ton of monthly massages. Since they allow you to bank them, I wasn't too concerned, but finally went in to redeem them, and since I had so many to redeem, I wanted to turn a lot of them into guest massages and give as gifts. My daughter was in grad school at the time, and I wanted to gift to her classmates, as well as family members. So I told her to ask who wanted them, and I would need their names and addresses. She did so, and got about 10 people who wanted a free massage. I also included my family members.

Because I had so many massages left, the Burke, VA manager not only allowed me to redeem all these massages at once, she also allowed me to give each person TWO Free massages! And she waived the $10 fee per guest. The store filled out the gift card for each person (it is a paper card, similar to a postcard) and wrote TWO Massages or something informative like that at the top, also with the person's name. People have had no trouble redeeming them, and these kids live all over the country now.

It is difficult to get an appointment unless you go 2 weeks out. I gave 4 stars because this is annoying. It is also annoying because the people they employ at the desk to schedule appointments seem to be somewhat unaware of what's going on when you call. I prefer to make my appts online. They opened a new Massage Envy much closer to me, and I have had No Problem switching between the stores for my appointments. As far as my appointments go, I have had massages, stretch, hot stone and facials. I like a fairly firm/hard massage, and the therapists are very accommodating with this. They always ask if it is hard enough, if I want something different, if I have areas they should work on more, etc. I have not had any issues in this area.

I would not recommend the stretch if you had recent surgery. I thought I would be ok since my surgery was 4 months ago, but it is still too soon, and it was painful and of course stretching me, which I am still having issues with. The hot stone is fantastic. The facials are too, and I look so great for the week I get them. Anyway, there seem to be a lot of negative reviews on this site, so I thought I'd share my experience. I will let you know if I try to cancel and how that goes, because that seems to be the major issue on this site. But in my experience, so far, so good.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I travel a lot around the world and getting a massage is for relaxation as well as therapeutic. I am very appreciative for my massage therapist Lacy in Murfreesboro, TN location as she is very good, professional and have great attention to detail. I have had a lot of massages and Lacy is the best... Thank you Lacy, you are awesome!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have been going to Massage Envy for many years. I have had good experiences with my massage therapists. I try to get the same therapist as customer service does when rescheduling, but sometimes a fluke happens and I get another massage therapist, which usually works out for me. The only complaint that I have is that they are not always good about calling to remind me about appointments, which usually results in me missing my appointment and I have to pay for the missed session. I don't think that that's a fair practice.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I suffer intractable tension/migraines and have been getting massage therapy over 15 yrs from dozens of therapists. KC at the Massage Envy on the Promenade in D’Iberville, MS has a medical background and is very knowledgeable in A&P. I have benefited from his expertise. The receptionists are friendly and helpful when scheduling and the facility is clean and comfortable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Massage Envy?

Original review: June 24, 2019

My husband and I have been members since 2010. For a few years things were great: we had a wonderful therapist and the staff and Manager were helpful. Things have changed drastically in the last couple of years. Therapists were leaving, Managers were leaving, and the front desk staff went from helpful to uninformed and unhelpful. Employees were complaining about not being treated fairly and were leaving. In a word, a disaster! We went from having a massage and/or facial EVERY month, to accumulating 3-4 credits because we couldn't book appointments with the therapists we liked - they either left or cut back their hours...

Realizing that things were not getting any better (yesterday I received a "mechanical" massage from an unfamiliar therapist), we tried to cancel our memberships. First, we spent over 30 minutes trying to schedule our remaining credits over the allowed 60 days, THEN we were told it will take 10 days to process the cancellation, which would fall a few days after our next monthly payment is charged, which would result in another credit we would have to try to schedule... In spite of all my explanations and pleas as to WHY we were cancelling the memberships, they refused to accommodate. I sent a message to Corporate Customer Service - they don't answer their phone, but not holding my breath on them being helpful. It seems, no amount of bad publicity or negative reviews seem to matter to ME!

Original review: June 12, 2019

It has been extremely frustrating and disappointing to pay a monthly fee for a service that has been so hard to get. I have frequently encountered issues with their website and their schedules are always fully booked which makes it impossible to get a massage quickly. Furthermore, I have been last-minute cancelled again and again because one of their massage therapist didn't show up to work and they couldn't find a replacement. My experience with Massage Envy has not been a good one. I was told it would get better once the expansion of the Mandeville offices would be complete as more therapists would be hired but I have seen no change. For those reasons I have cancelled my membership with Massage Envy.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Been a member over 4 years, had amazing experience in the past. Looks like if you are in a hurry and don't leave a tip you're added to a black list. Even though several times I left the tip cash never made it to the person who I used every single time. Today I booked the same person. Showed up. Been told I was with some other therapist which made me uncomfortable but accepted it. Room was cold, felt like I was being in a machine press instead of getting a toned massage. I stopped the service in the first 10 min. Once I walked out manager and the therapist I clearly requested told me that he didn't accept me because I didn't tip. Wow. Really? Then once I went on the details all I get the lame round about.

This is the way this location turned into. As a beach resident this was highly convenient for me. However I will be cancelling this membership and use or gift all my remaining sessions which I think around 20 of them and not recommending this to anyone let alone I will ask my close family to cancel and move on immediately. Sobe location is not what it used to be. Seems from other reviews in the last 6 months they are on a downward spiral anyway. Terrible to see our local spots to lose quality and customer service.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I signed up for a monthly massage subscription. The massage quality was good. The massages were easy to schedule and the staff treated me well at the facility. About 9 months later, I no longer needed the massages and decided to cancel my membership. The individual answering calls told me I needed to speak with a manager. I would need to wait for the manager to call me back. When she did, I learned I had committed to 12 months and wasn’t allowed to cancel yet. I thought that was a little misleading, as I didn't recall agreeing to a 12-month lockup. They said I also couldn’t give them advance notice of cancelling. I would need to call in and go through this again when my 12 months were up.

When I called back in at the end of the summer, I again had to wait for the manager to call me back. She never did so I called in again. Finally we got on the phone and she told me I couldn’t cancel yet and that I had to wait for the next month. The following month, the manager told me I needed to sign the official cancellation document, which would take effect in 30 days. Unfortunately I had moved out of the state so I couldn’t go into the location to do this. She sent me the document via email, which I had to print and sign. I sent a picture of it and never heard back. I called back and was told to go into a Massage Envy location and have them fax it in. I went into the location nearest me, explained everything again, and faxed it in. The Orem location said they would confirm receipt but I never heard from them. After calling in a few more times, I received confirmation of receipt and cancellation. I see two main here.

1. Massage Envy has a burdensome processes to deter customers from cancelling. It is a waste of customers' time and energy.

2. The Orem franchisee was difficult to communicate with. This compounded the issues with the process.

Original review: May 28, 2019

DON'T SIGN UP FOR THIS SERVICE!!! This company has done nothing but stress me out since I signed the contract. My initial service was a gift for a friend and myself. That went well. However, the day before the massage, we received a call saying that the therapist was ill. There was no one to help my friend, but my appointment was still open, so I gave it to my friend. Next day friend was suffering so bad with allergies he need to cancel. I lose the $10 fee for a friend, and all 15 massages I had on file, which I couldn't use, because my 40 year old daughter was diagnosed with cancer and for two years I was with her until she passed away on October 17, 2018. Now that I really need this, they cut us off. This place has no sympathy and is all about the money! I'll say it again, DON'T SIGN UP FOR THIS SERVICE!!!

Original review: May 26, 2019

I bought a 12 month wellness program $65 a month last year 2018. I believe in March they're telling me my payment didn't come out until April. I will be checking my bank statement for that discrepancy. I lost my job in May 2018, they wouldn't let me cancel the program but offered to put a 6-month hold on it. So I started paying on the program in November of 2018 and according to their records one month of April 2018 and they are claiming my last payment will be coming out in October. I believe my last payment should be September 2019. I recently didn't realize I had an appointment this April 2019 and it was a no-show no call - my very first one and got charged the full of $65 missed appointment. I will not be signing up for this wellness program ever again. I will say the therapist I have Alicia is excellent and does a great job every time I'm there.

Original review: May 25, 2019

I've been a member with Massage Envy for 2 years ($65/month) and have had no complaints...until now. I have been contemplating cancelling my membership for a few months now because I don't use the services as much as I thought I would. My husband and I decided it was time to cut down some monthly costs due to financial hardship. We just moved to a new state for the military and I (nurse) haven't found a job yet. I have 7 credits (1 hour massages, facials, etc) which is a significant amount - $65 x 7 = $455. So I called to cancel my policy today and learned a few things:

1. If you cancel your policy, you can still use the remaining credits that you have but you only have 60 DAYS to use them. Anything leftover after that period goes to WASTE. It's simply money that the company takes from you.
2. You can "freeze" your account if you want to "catch up" on unused credits, but this costs $20/month. Here's what got me - that $20 does NOT go towards credit for you to use in the future. It's simply a FEE that you pay Massage Envy. Once again, the company taking free money.

3. If you cancel your policy, there are no refunds allowed. Yet again, company taking your money.

I spoke with a franchise manager for 15 minutes and she agreed that the policies are unfair. She'll be speaking with her general manager to see if there's anything they can waive/change for me. I explained that I'm a nurse and will have income again in the near future and would love to continue using Massage Envy as my place of choice. However, if I'm not granted FAIR customer service, I will never go back there again and I'll write the company. I will edit this review to reflect the outcome of the manager's conversation next week. *Take away advice* Do NOT obtain a membership unless you're going to actually utilize the services every month.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I had been a member of Massage Envy for years, but after the recent disrespect and hate that I received from the staff at Massage Envy Plymouth, Minnesota, I decidedly cancelled my membership and will not go back. After dealing with the rude daytime/weekday staff there, to include the "manager" or "supervisor", a woman who apparently cares more about controlling staff and customers than retaining a longterm member for the business or even listening to a customer's concern, I'm not even sure if I will use the outstanding massage credit that is still on my account. I'm not sure of the staff's names because the "manager" refused to give them to me.

This latest debacle happened, I believe, tuesday, april 23rd of 2019. This is exactly why massage envy is getting such low reviews and any stockholder or corporate ought to be seriously concerned with these issues. I will be posting and reposting this experience for much time to come and at various forums until I reach the right one and get the explanation that I deserve.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I purchased the membership pkg. I schedule massages every two weeks. Every other appointment has been cancelled just hours before scheduled time. This company DO NOT HONOR their contracts. It is a problem for them to reschedule, but it is a big problem for me. I will used elements massage from now on. I won't be back. My time is important but not to Massage Envy.

Original review: April 21, 2019

Receptionist was rude and unprofessional. She became irritated with my questions and mentioned a few times that their location was a franchise and they made their rules. When I pointed out that she was not being professional and totally disregarding me as a consumer, she hung up the phone.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I am very disappointed in Massage Envy. Not only do I now live 60 miles from a Massage Envy, but I call to cancel my membership (mind you I have about 3 overlapping appointments I can use because I wasn’t able to a couple months). Now I paid for those 3 appointments and don’t get to use them... all because I live so far and had to cancel my membership... I spend so much money in products with them. I am very disappointed. They basically took money from me.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have been trying to redeem a complimentary add on services gift card I received. The back of the card states: “The Massage Envy complimentary card is redeemable when presented at any Massage Envy location.” However, the Shiloh IL location will not honor it. Also, since I signed up for the membership in January, I have not been able to get the same therapist at all, twice, even when trying to schedule out a couple weeks. They always say to schedule out a month. It is hard because of my job to schedule out a month, or even 2-3 weeks in advance.

The first visit in January, I was told I could use this card, but then they did the membership sales pitch and told me to keep it for any other add-ons. Which I did. Now they are telling me it is only good for the location which is on the front of the card, even though the back specifically says any location. This is very bad business. The person who gave me the complimentary card would never have bought it at a different location if I would not be able to use it at my closest location, so perhaps he was lied to also. I am currently trying to get this resolved with my location, however they are not willing to do anything except say they apologize, I cannot use it there.

Original review: April 14, 2019

My experience with Massage Envy is lengthy, but they were essentially slimy in every chance they got. Icing on the cake was when I had a massage appointment that the masseuse wasn’t even in the building for, so they stuck me with a different masseuse that gave me the most painful experience I’ve ever had on a massage table. I asked for medium pressure, and didn’t request anything specific to my neck and upper back. Yet, he only worked on my neck and upper back, and he was outrageously rough.

8 months later, and I still have constant pain in those areas, and it’s all derived from that one experience. I had no neck or upper back pain prior to walking in there. Their owner evaded taking any accountability for this. I complained to their “guest solutions” group, and they also acted slimy and avoided taking any action. I don’t understand how this place is allowed to keep operating. They inflicted permanent damage on my body, and basically shrugged about it while licking their fingers to count my cash.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I was told my gift for M.E. Didn’t expire until June 2019. So I made an appointment in April and I get a call saying you have to pay full price. And I need to call the College Park store. They told me Crofton was incorrect and their computer system changed and there’s nothing they would do. Basically they took 2 1 hour credits from me that was paid for and on the certificate there’s no expiration date. Well needless to say I won’t be back. And beware getting gift certificates!

Original review: April 10, 2019

I went to a Massage Envy location in Pleasant Hills. The place smelled musty. The employees were not welcoming. Their conversation was about a client. When I was waited on it seemed the one employee was still drunk or drinking. You could smell the bar. I was asking about gift cards to purchase for a friend. The employee didn’t know anything about the gift cards or promotion they were advertising in the window. I ask to speak to a manager. I was told no manager was available and to leave my number and the manager will get back to me. 4 months later and no one got back to you. I want to get 1 membership and 2 gift cards. Still no response. Message Envy is a horribly run business. The corporate office should look into this.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I tried to signed up for a membership. Was told the computer system was down and no one had a clue what to do to fix it. the management and all the employees were very unprofessional there. Most of them look on drugs. It was a very unpleasant experience. I highly recommend you DON’T to any of their locations Pleasant Hills/South Park.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I had the 3 months 3 experience membership and had one of the worst experience. Whenever I called for an appointment never was able to schedule one. I’ve called more than 15 times for appointment. So I scheduled my appointments weeks away. One was day after the membership expired and then the second one couple of days after that. During appointment schedule with the front desk person, I made it very clear about my membership. She said it is fine and they do this all the time. On the day of my appointment, just 2 hrs before I get a call from ME telling me that I cannot use my membership. Seriously!!!! This is ridiculous. Why say it is ok in the first place and let me expire my membership and they say, "Sorry. We don’t do that." This place is a scam stealing people’s money.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I was so excited to get a facial for the first time. I was told I would get an introductory rate of $55 for a facial because it was my first time. They recommended microderm and I said ok. I thought microderm was a name for a specific facial. When my session was over and I went to the receptionist to pay and she said, "Microderm is $45 additional to the $55, were you told that?" I said no. She said, "Well it’s $100." I was furious! My pores still look a mess and the service was no benefit to my skin. ME stole my money! I will never go there again.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I joined Massage Envy for a 6 month membership. They kept billing me after that period. Made many calls and sent emails to no avail. Then they closed the Massage Envy franchise near me and kept billing me! They assigned me to another franchise far away which I would never go to. It has now been 8 months since my membership ended and they just keep adding more more to what they bill. Now billing me for nearly $600! It seems my only recourse is to take legal action at this point.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I had been a member for almost a year when my "home clinic" permanently closed without notifying its members or providing any options. It took me a month to track down my membership at a different, completely inconvenient, location. Even then, I was calling/emailing in attempts to cancel my membership but they continued to charge me for months. I was referred to 5 different "managers," over 3 months and finally told that they will not reimburse me for the months they charged my card after the clinic CLOSED while I was hunting down my own membership and trying to find someone to talk to that could help me. They literally ripped me off.

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Their response to that was, "we don't answer to the BBB, we answer to ourselves." I also have unused services that I will likely have to eat as well. It's hundreds of dollars down the drain. This was the one thing I wanted to do for myself as I'm a single mom while my husband has been deployed for 2 1/2 years. It's disappointing and the money lost is a huge hit to our family. Stay away from this corrupt company.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I had a membership at the Greenfield Wi location, but cancelled since I could not make regular appointments and because they could not provide services for time slots I needed... even if booking out several months. After canceling, I had a a certain amount of time to use unused credits. They could not provide any services for over 6 weeks on any day, and they also closed for two weeks for remodeling. This put my use-credits-by date beyond the end date which they blamed me for missing (customer is always wrong policy). They wouldn’t extend the date or refund the money I paid so essentially stole $210 from me! I highly recommend not getting a membership with ME. If you want a massage, pay per session and avoid the shady commitment policy! Ken.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Ok, I got a membership some years ago when the price point was more affordable than your normal place. Your therapist was fresh out of massage school or close to and did ok work. I had 2-3 good therapists over the last few years who gave an excellent massage, but they were undervalued by their respective locations. Then the prices went up, and I didn't mind at the time, I still had a good therapist, so ok. Well that all changed when I moved pretty far away from the nearest M.E.

I kept Auto Paying, hoping to use them again, and saving them for when I was close by one. And I moved again, and I decided to CANCEL my membership. Apparently that's easier said than done. If you cancel, you have 3 months or so to use up your massages or you lose them, or you can pay a lower fee to freeze the account just enough to save those, but not accumulate more. Ok, sounds good. I tried it. Didn't like it. So I said close the account. Well, they didn't close it, so I told the credit card to stop payment. Well, they decided I owed them money anyways, even though I had 8 paid massages ($500+) on the books, that I was going to lose. They tried billing me, sent me 8 letters in the mail, all within the same week, then sent my account to COLLECTIONS for a technically "SUBSCRIPTION" service in the amount of $190. It said that "MASSAGE ENVY" is a "CREDITOR". Bottom Line, Spend more money at a better Massage Spa.

Original review: March 10, 2019

Well I can't tell you how their services are because even though I called 2 weeks in advance to schedule my couples massage as a surprise for my husband they called us on our way there and cancelled our appointment because a therapist called in to work. What kind of massage therapy business cancels within 30 min of your appointment? My husband does a lot of physical work and has pain in his neck that I really wanted him to get relief for. I could have booked somewhere else and been able to have a good relaxing date night. If you're a parent like us don’t book a babysitter until 15 min before you're supposed to leave the house in case they cancel you. Guess that's what I get for trying to go to a corporate chain massage place. I'll stick with the locals I'm used to...

Original review: March 6, 2019

Updated on 03/08/2019: It’s been 4 days since I went to an appt (3/05/2019) at Massage Envy in Springfield, and the male manager did my service. I’m still in pain. He injured my neck, it hurts on a scale of 7 every time I move it. He pressed very very hard down on my spine across the area where I had surgery in 2012. Then over the area I have a pacemaker. I thought for sure he could feel it, since it is noticeable but I guess he just didn’t pay any attention to it. I’m 73, I don’t need these pains. My legs and hip hurt from where he squeezed/pressed too hard, and my feet he just pressed in with fingers not with fist or palm of his hand. The pain was noticeable to him because I verbally and physically acknowledged pain at the time. He didn’t ease up. The only thing this visit was good for is if you wanted to be punished for being alive. I’d like to know how to go about making an official complaint against him and his lic.

Original Review: To start I called and made an appt for the $34. 1 hour they have posted in the front window. When I arrived, I’m guessing he is the manager since he was telling others what to do. I haven’t a clue where he might have gotten certified as a massage therapist. There wasn’t any rhythm or pattern to his method, there was no constant touch. He would start on a shoulder then go to the opposite leg, all over, just no sequence. No gentle starting in an area just extremely harsh. Even right on the spine which I know they don’t do. I hurt worse today than I did before going there. Then it came time to pay. Well I was charged $39. Instead of $34. Then I put a tip. I won’t be returning to that place even with a free gift certificate.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I seem to have had the same experience as many others after reading reviews, although my situation was somewhat different. Bought a membership and after 6 months decided to cancel it. No problem I was too! Several months later I realized they deducted the monthly membership fee again. Stopped at Massage Envy, they said the correct paperwork had not been done to cancel membership. I then filled out the correct paperwork. The employee at the front desk told me they would have to have Manager approve the refund of the monthly fee they took in December or I could just use the remaining time by the end of March. I choose to hold onto the time and called yesterday to schedule an appointment.

I was told that due to a new Computer System that the Corporate Headquarters installed all outstanding time was erased. I could not get a refund or schedule an appointment without paying more. The employee stated several times they were not happy but all they could do was tell people to call the Corporate Office. I have left a voicemail and email at Corporate Headquarters with no response. I also asked the employee to have the Manager of the location I use to call me, I also have not heard from the Manager! I don’t feel this is acceptable for any legitimate - successful corporation.

Massage Envy Company Information