2. Miscellaneous

Folsom, CA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.57/5

Massage Envy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Massage Envy?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Massage Envy?

Original review: March 25, 2021

My mother has paid a lot of money for massage points including for her children and we all feel that this whole business is a scam. She has been told by different employees that she must keep paying to use her already paid for points. There is a "freeze" option but Massage Envy is telling her she can't use the points during the freeze but that she will still be charged $10 for "Maintenance" and it's only for a 6 month period after which they keep charging full price. How could anyone, in good conscience treat a long time paying member by essentially scamming them and stealing their money? They never explained to her that this was how they handle the accounts. This situation needs to be addressed and corrected immediately if this is a respectable business at all as every location claims it to be. However, it is impossible to get any help so I recommend not even starting a membership with this entity.

Original review: March 5, 2021

You want to freeze your account? - We need 10 days notice. - Oh yeah, and your phone call wasn't enough. You need to put it in writing. You want to give your hours to someone else? - That will be a $20 transfer fee and you can only gift 1 hour to the same person every 6 months. You were charged while we were closed due to COVID? - Too bad. You should have told us not to charge you. You have ** unused hours on your account and your charge didn't go through this month? - Sorry your account is suspended. If you don't pay us more money, you can't ever come back. AND we'll send you to a collection agency.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Firstly I was surprised with a first visit to Massage Envy for a Valentine’s Day gift. To say the least I was very disappointed and I will never go back there. I was running a few minutes behind so I called the front desk and every single time I called the receptionist answered by saying, "Massage Envy. Please hold" and had me on hold for minutes. Hung up. Call back again and she did the same thing all over again. I got tired of waiting because by then I had arrived. So I let her know that I was checking in. They had me to do paperwork. She didn’t make me aware that my hour message would be over at 12:20 pm and proceeded to check me in.

So I finally get to the back and the masseuse tells me, "Your appointment will be over in 25 mins" and I said to him, "I would like the full hour so if I need to reschedule I will." I told him that I had called several times and each time I was on hold because I wanted to call to make sure there would be no issue but I couldn’t get help from the receptionist if I paid her. He walked me to the front and told her she only has 25 mins left on her session he and to reschedule. I explain to him that I called prior to for this reason because I don’t know the policy. Not to mention there’s a sign on the front door that says to call to check in and someone will let you know when to enter the building. Obviously not true when the receptionist just continues to put you on hold.

I called over and over to make sure that there was not going to be any issues but I could not get a response from the receptionist because she continued to put me on hold. I explained the very same thing to the receptionist and she doesn’t apologize or displays any empathy but said, "I’m gonna have to charge you 50% for the appointment." I said to her, "I called you several times to make sure that there was not going to be any issues. You kept answering the phone and you kept putting me on hold for minutes and now you wanna charge me for something that could’ve been avoided and not to mention I’ve driven all the way here when this could’ve been avoided before I even got here." There was no apology. There was nothing and charge me half price for a massage I did not get.

So I will never ever ever do business with massage envy again. The receptionist lacks customer service and any type of empathy. Not to mention she had me waiting another 10 minutes to charge my card. No sorry for the wait. No "I apologize for not getting back to you when you called." I mean nothing. Ironically enough while I’m still waiting she was able to answer the phone then and assist right away but I got no assistance. It was just a horrible experience. Customer service does not exist here.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I have accrued 10 massage credits because with so many COVID restrictions I haven’t been able to use the service. I decided to cancel and was told I have 60 days to use the 10 credits. They have reduced hours, will only book out a short distance and will not book 90 min appointments. This seemed unreasonable so I asked for more time to use the credits and was told no. I made an appointment to at least use 1 credit and told them I would be looking into the legality of them keeping the funds for all of the credits I am unable to use. They then told me unless I promise not to pursue this they are canceling my appointment and I am no longer allowed access even for the 60 days to use any credits. Completely unprofessional and inappropriate attempt to harass and intimidate me. Manager even threatened to charge me personally with fraud for disputing any charges.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I called the Brookfield, CT location to purchase a gift card for my daughter-in-law and asked them to hold on to it for my son to pick up. I made an embarrassing mistake. I called the wrong place. I meant to call another local spa that my daughter-in-law goes to. When I realized my mistake I called right away, hoping for understanding and a refund. I had to call three times before getting an answer – which was... no refunds, even though they still had possession of the card. They said it was a national policy and I could call the national office, which I did.

Over a period of 4 business days, I left 5 messages with customer service and one with the CEO before finally receiving a call back from... IT. (You have to wonder about a company that uses IT personnel to appease customers.) Their answer was no refund but I could possibly work something out with the CT location. I called the Brookfield location again and asked for a manager to call me...it never happened. I called again two days later and asked for a manager. After being placed on hold an employee told me no refund, but again, no manager talked to me.

I made a stupid mistake that I admitted, and was hoping for some understanding during unusual times, however, what angered me is the total lack of response! Not one conversation with the local manager and 6 calls to the corporate customer service office before even a response? That silence speaks volumes about how they really feel about customers. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

Over the past 3-4 years, I have been a loyal Massage Envy customer. We have primarily used Nashua but also frequented Methuen. I have 3 memberships that are billed monthly. At the start of covid, the billing stopped. Once the massage parlors were allowed to open again, billing continued. One day, I called to schedule an appointment for my son who is a paying member. He was not quite 15 yet so they denied him an appointment. Why does he have to pay if he can’t go?

After not wanting to go for a few months due to safety concerns and length of possible exposure in a small room, I decided I no longer wanted to get massages. I called to cancel my memberships for the time being. We had over 8 credits paid for each by the time I cancelled. At $55 per credit, this is over $1300. They allow you only 2 months to use up your credits and then you lose the rest. I called the manager to see if there was anything I could do. I wanted to use them but how can I use 8 credits in 2 months? I will be there weekly which is ridiculous. They refused to help and basically told me TOO BAD!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I purchased the minimum massage for my daughter and son in law. $65 for an hour. Gave the receptionist my card she charged $360.00 and said they could NOT refund me for overcharging my account. We contacted them 3 times. NO REPLY.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

If I could give 0 stars I would. I am high risk for covid and so are many of the people I associate myself with. They refuse to stop my payments when I haven't used the services in 7 months. I told them that not only did I lose my job to covid and can't afford it, but that I also can not risk using the services at all. They refuse to let me cancel. During a global pandemic! Corrupt!! Such a terrible awful company!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

My husband and I decided to treat ourselves with getting a membership subscription. A couple months after, Covid started and everything was in lockdown but monthly membership fees were still being charged and accumulated. When Massage Envy opened back up we asked if we could please freeze our subscription to be able to catch up with the amount of massages we hadn't been able to use due to the Covid lockdown. They said that even if we would freeze it we still would have to pay $40 and wouldn't be able to use the accumulated once in the meantime.

We then asked what would happen if we would cancel the subscription. Massage Envy said in that case we only would have six weeks to use the accumulated massages or we would lose them all. For such a big company we were not impressed with their rules. We contacted Massage Envy corporate customer service over a month ago and left a voicemail. Haven't heard back. Are they there for their clients? Don't think so. Very disappointing and we are about ready to completely cancel both our subscriptions.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

Do not get a membership! Biggest scam ever! I signed up for a membership and realized I wasn’t using it like I thought I would. When I canceled they told me I had 2 months to use 12 services that I hadn’t even gotten too in a year! Offered to let me use them over longer time if I paid $10 fee that went to the house. You have to pay an extra fee to transfer a massage, even though you’ve already paid for the service at their price. And to my knowledge now you can’t transfer a service after you cancel. So now I have to go for 10 massages in 2 weeks before they expire. They are just out for your money!!! Booked a couple's massage (that verbiage was used) and they didn’t tell me we wouldn't be in the same room until we arrived, how is that a couple's massage? Just so disappointed that I committed to something so scandalous.

Massage Envy Company Information