1.32/5

Folsom, CA

Last updated: May 22, 2018

301 Massage Envy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 22, 2018

DON'T SIGN UP FOR THIS SERVICE!!! This company has done nothing but stress me out since I signed the contract. My initial service was a gift from a friend. That went well. So afterward they talked me into signing up for a year contract. After signing the contract I asked to make an appointment that would be included in my contract fees. They made the appointment telling me explicitly that there would be no charge other than the upgrade of service that I requested. I arrived to my next appointment and was told there was a typo on the contract and I needed to sign a new one, but it changed nothing (I did ask if it would change my billing). Thinking that was fine I signed the contract. Before I did I questioned that they had changed the date on the contract beginning and ending. I inquired and was again reassured it changed nothing.

So I had my service done and was only told afterward that because the contract date changed I had no choice but to pay for the entire service that day... and additionally pay the contract fee when due. I wasn't happy of course, but I did what I was told I had to. I made a follow up appointment. That appointment was canceled and I was never notified. They continued of course to draft from my account. I spoke with 3 different people there on separate occasions before I was able to reach an actual manager. He said I signed a contract and there was no disputing and regardless of whether I wanted to return after all this hassle that they would continue to draft the fee. I contacted my bank and am now disputing the fee and canceling my debit card to ensure they cannot access my account for future fees. This is a shady corporation and they deserve every bad review they receive.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I booked 60 minute massage online and received confirmation for May 19th 3 pm. When I arrived to my appt at 3 pm the front desk staff told me they moved my appt from 3 pm to 2:30 pm and I was 30 minutes late. Then I was told they tried calling me but no one answered and they also didn't leave me a voice mail. Sooo... let me get this straight... Massage Envy changed my appt time without notifying the customer. I disagreed with the front desk staff and went into the massage room expecting 60 minutes which is what I booked but I was wrong. The massage was over 15 minutes and they billed me $85. I could have caused a big scene, the staff is poorly managed and not smart business professionals. I wrote a email to the owner and still no response. I will never return to Massage Envy Blossom Hill San Jose, CA location.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous & Personal Care delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I made the mistake of signing up for this membership and have lost tons of money as a result. Once you sign up it is extremely difficult to get an appointment. You can't get out of membership without jumping through hoops. In the meantime you get stuck with unused massages, which you lose unless you pay "hold fees". In addition, my elderly mother had a stroke and as her caretaker I now have no free time to use a massage. Then I broke 4 ribs and my dr told me not to get a massage as 1) I can't lie on stomach, and 2) should avoid possibility of moving or further injuring ribs.

Went into store to explain this and the employees literally ignore you. Can't get the manager to call me back. I literally can't give away my massages. The recipient would have to pay a guest fee and "tip" on a ridiculously marked up price. And if you find someone who actually wants the massages, you can only give them 1, so they really make it hard for you. I am going to have to bite the bullet and forfeit about $1000 worth of massages. Deeply regret ever walking into this store!

Original review: April 22, 2018

I booked a 90 minute facial over the phone. I was told it would be $68. When I arrived for the appointment today, I was told it would be $83. When I said I had been told $68 when I made the appointment, I was told it would be $68 if I joined today and I could think about that while I had my facial. My facial was good with Sky and he recommended some products which I planned to buy. When I went to pay for the appointment, I was told it was $143. This was very shocking and I asked about the $68 I had been promised. At this point, that was not an option, membership or no membership. After some discussion, I paid $83, left without the products I had intended to buy and will never return.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Had a 90 minute massage with Laszlo today and it was very good. After my massage I went to the receptionist to pay for the additional 30 minutes. The receptionist asked how my massage was and I said "very good". I paid cash for the 30 minutes and gave the receptionist another $20 and asked for $15 back. I told the receptionist the $5 was Laszlo's tip. The receptionist asked how my massage was. I had told him already that it was very good. I said again "it was very good". He then questioned my tip amount because I said my massage was very good. I couldn't believe what he had said. I was speechless. I gave this conversation a great deal of thought on my drive home.

Once home I called and asked for the manager and I was passed along to Regina (asst. mgr.) and explained what had happened. She said that the receptionist had overstepped and that is a conversation only for management. I checked my contract and did not see any wording regarding tips. Laszlo gave me a great massage, I paid for the service, but I don't believe a large tip should be expected. ME should pay their massage therapists better and not expect their customers to shell out an additional $20 a massage. The receptionist who confronted me regarding my tip reversed all the good Laszlo did during my massage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Massage Envy?

Original review: April 4, 2018

Their policies are not customer focused. They promote 1 hour massages; which are actually 50 minutes. They take 10 minutes off your service to account for 'changing clothes', which actually takes a minute or two. They encourage members to Tip for 1-hour however. They CHARGE $10 to GIFT a massage to a potential new customer. And they limit gifting. Why would you want to deter trial by new folks by charging your long-time customers?

Turnover is high which suggests it's not a great company to work for. If you want to freeze your account (out of the country) they DON'T allow you to use the services you've accrued while the account is frozen. Would have liked to burn up some of the ten I have accrued before I leave the US. That's ultimately the reason I'm quitting. They'll probably be glad to see me go because I signed up with they only charged $39/month! Be sure to read all the fine print if you think about signing up. All that being said, I've had a few good therapists over the years. It's possible to get great treatment, but the company could care less about customer service.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I am LIVID with Massage Envy on Niagara Falls Blvd, Tonawanda, NY 14150. I have an appointment every 3 weeks. I went in tonight for my SCHEDULED 6:00 p.m. appointment, only to be told that I cancelled it the last time I was there and rescheduled it for this Thursday. I DID NOT CANCEL MY APPOINTMENT, YET THEY CANNOT GIVE ME THE NAME OF THE EMPLOYEE WHO CANCELLED IT. How DARE they speak to me in the condescending way I was just spoken to by the Assistant Manager. And to make matters even worse, when I asked for a Manager, she informed me AGAIN that she was the Assistant Manager. I have spent thousands of dollars at this location over the past few years, I book my appointments a year in advance for every three weeks, but their arrogance has me rethinking this entire situation.

At $60.00 per hour for the massage, plus a $15.00 tip, I'm spending $75.00 every three weeks, and they can just give someone else my appointment??? I even showed her my datebook, which clearly shows I had an appointment tonight at 6:00 p.m. I have had problems with the attitude of management at this location already (they do NOT ever call you back or follow up - they just do not care if a customer is unhappy), and tonight's attitude tops all. They obviously gave my appointment to someone else. Well, I may give my business to someone else. I'm sure there are many massage therapists who would love to earn $75.00 every three weeks.

Original review: March 22, 2018

They take too many memberships and not enough time slots or employees to accommodate customers. We fell behind in getting the monthly massage. Now have 14 visits accumulated and they are not willing to assist us in getting the number reduced. We cut off our account and now they state we have 60 day to use or lose them. But they cannot accommodate a schedule for us. Would not recommend this to anyone...

Original review: March 2, 2018

When I activated my 3 month membership, I have had nothing but trouble with this location. From mixing me up with another people, failing to call when changes were made to the schedule, errors on my account. The manager was flippant and dismissive of me when I called to clear this up. When I stated I never wanted to use their services again he didn't care. He is in customer service and should care. I wonder how many other customers left because of this location's staff. The front staff, clearly does not know what they are doing and are unprofessional. The manager doesn't know what he is doing. It is too bad, I started at this location in 2011 and was really happy with it until the new management took over and now I have no desire to ever use them again or any Massage Envy for that matter.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

AVOID THIS PLACE! They will get you to sign an open ended service agreement. They will verbally misrepresent the time frame for the monthly agreement. They will bill you $50/month whether you use it or not. They will convince you to have them bill your HSA account which you will not notice. Months will go by and they will continue to extract their monthly fee without your knowledge. You will pay them for NO SERVICE PROVIDED until you take action or until the HSA account is depleted!! They will be completely inflexible in the aftermath. These open ended contracts need to be declared ILLEGAL by the MN STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL: Lori Swanson! Avoid this establishment at all costs. They are a franchised establishment and my experience is with the Maple Grove location.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Their membership contracts are a scam! They tell you its terms are 12 month then conveniently leave the dates off the contract. Then they automatically charge your card every month after that year without your consent! To top it off...if you try to cancel they make you sign another BS contract that says you must use all remaining sessions within a short time period or you lose them! Dishonest thieves!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Massage Envy has stolen $1,430.00 from me in prepaids. I will not let them have my credit card so they will not give me the massages, I have purchased. Massage Envy kept overcharging my credit card. I have been a member for 8 years. All the people that were honest have left. They have children running the outfit. They keep telling me, It is Corporate I must speak with. There is no operational Corporate telephone number. I must take them to Court to retrieve my funds. Buyer Beware.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Beware! You can get a massage anywhere. The important thing is the Customer Service you receive and Massage Envy has the worse Customer Service. They are thieves and will steal your money. Their tactic is to lock you into contracts of 6 months or longer. If you cancel the contract that you rightfully fulfilled by paying every month, paying in full, but don't use your massage every month to save it for future months, they then give you a time limit of something like 30-60 days after you end your contract to use them or you lose them. This is a bad way of doing business and just tells you that they don't retain clients. I lost 2 of the 6 massages paying around $65 per month after ending my contract because I couldn't use them in that 60 day window. It makes no sense to me why a massage place would do this, I cancelled because I still planned on going, just not every month. I will never go back there. Don't give Massage Envy your business.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I have been a ME customer for over seven years at the 1208-D W Broad St, Falls Church, VA 22046 location. Because I occasionally travel overseas for weeks or months at a time, I "freeze" my account using their "Freeze" status. All automatic billing should cease. In the three times that I used their nonsense "freeze" feature, they continued to charge my card every single month. I spent hours talking with clueless Massage Envy associates that promised that it would be different next month -- it never was. They still charged my account over and over, despite the confirmation of a "freeze." Because the last freeze (October of 2017) was apparently never processed (I have a photocopy of the signed form), they CONTINUED to try and charge the card on file. My bank changed from Mastercard to VISA that month, and I had not updated my card with Massage Envy as I was traveling and I thought it was "frozen."

Upon my return, I stopped by the Massage Envy to try and schedule a massage. The associate told me that I had no sessions left when I was expecting to hear "thirteen." I explained the situation to the associate (account had been frozen, etc.), and she said that "we can't find any record of that. Your card was declined when we tried to charge your monthly membership fee." Of course it was declined! It is a totally different card, and the Massage Envy associates didn't "freeze" my account.

I was not very happy, to say the least, knowing that hundreds of dollars were thrown away because of their mistakes. Of course none of them had the power to do anything, except sign people up and schedule appointments. They asked me if I would like the manager to call me, and I said "Yes... Please" and left my business card. No manager ever called... In fact, I have not heard from them again. I can still log on to the Massage Envy portal that looks like it was created in the late 1990's, and that has similar functionality. It's a total joke -- all of it.

I would stay far, far away from this Massage Envy or any other one. As a successful serial entrepreneur and investor, it is stunning to me that they would flippantly screw over a long time (7+ years?!) customer over a trivial administrative error that employees should have the ability to resolve quickly. Instead, their actions show that they could care less about having me as a customer. I would give them a zero or negative rating if it was possible with your system. Massage Envy is a total farce, and I would set up some Google alerts to see when all of the different class action lawsuits get filed for deceptive marketing practices, fraud, etc. Go anywhere else!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

If there were negative stars available, I’d rate using them. My complaint is so lengthy, I don’t want to lose the reader. Therefore, the crust is this: I paid for three memberships for myself and two of my children. After canceling one Acct, I tried to have all unused sessions transferred to my acct since I was the one paying for them. Was told, "No, couldn’t do that". ME continued to charge my card for the closed account. When I realized this, I canceled my account as well as my daughter’s. My daughter texted me this morning indicating my bank notified her there was a charge of $55 from ME and wanted to know if it was legit. She said, "NO". I have since audited my CC acct only to realize I have been continually charged since all accounts have been canceled. If I knew of a class action suit, I’d jump on the bandwagon. This company has poor and inconsistent business practices.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I have a monthly membership and apparently went in a little too early to get my first “FREE” monthly massage. No one told me that I was scheduling too early and they would not allow me to switch my account to a different location after I left a job and no longer had to drive 45 minutes out of my way to get my monthly massage. Obviously, there is a huge lack of communication. Buyer beware. I am cancelling my membership.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I purchased a membership at Massage Envy in Bellevue, Ne for headache relief. Due to my doctor's advise I was told to discontinue my service there and see a chiropractor. So I canceled my membership thru the Dr. letter to them. I had used 3 of the 4 massages that I paid for, they advised me that I would still be able to use the remaining service after cancelation, however in that conversation they neglected to tell me that it does expire in 60 days. When I called to get the apt for my remaining service they said I have none left in my acct. I am so furious with these people as this was a service that I paid for. Even if my membership was canceled or not I should have still been able to use the service that was paid for!! This place and its customer service is a joke! I would NOT recommend anyone go there, all they will do is push this "wonderful" membership on to you then not even let you use what was paid for!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Sooo... there are so many bad reviews here. I was gifted a massage. I was really pushed to do the monthly membership and since at the time my disabled daughter was riding the bus home I had time after work to do this. So sadly I signed up. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER. I have been charged 4 times so far and have used only 1 massage which I gifted to my husband. Not only was the "hour" long massage only 50 min long, it was a horrible experience for my husband and he refuses to go back.

Also, my disabled daughter's bus schedule changed so now I have to pick her up after school and would have to now drive 45+ minutes just to get to a Massage Envy location. THEY WILL NOT CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP. I didn't ask for a refund for the 3 months that were already charged just to cancel the rest since I can't get there. Instead they intend to take $720 from me for 1 massage. I'm the wife of a disabled veteran and mother of a disabled child. I don't have extra money to waste. I am very disappointed in these people. I HIGHLY recommend against this place. Please please please go somewhere else. Listen to ALL the people leaving reviews here. There is only 1 positive review and that "person" did not leave any comments so I doubt it's a real person.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

The Town Square site closed its doors failing to formally notify members of this action and further options. I have been undergoing oral surgery for much of this year and could not utilize my membership paid massages. I did not worry because although I keep my monthly payments up to date I knew I'd have pre-paid credits to use when I felt up to resuming my massages.

Imagine both my surprise and shock when I tried to schedule a massage and learned that the Town Square Massage Envy site had closed its doors without providing membership notification. Both Chelsea and Theressa at Corporate Headquarters in Scottsdale, AZ have failed to resolve the issue of the $300.00 plus dollars owed me in pre-paid credit. Massage Envy and I entered a contract. I did not break it. Massage Envy did and I will continue to explore all avenues for a positive resolution. I have lost all confidence in Massage Envy's ability to make customer satisfaction top on their priority list.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Was given a paid subscription to Massage Envy in Spartanburg from my children for 6 visits. Really had no problem with any of the massages until this last visit on Sept 29, 2017. Chrissy the girl doing my massage was horrible. This girl needs to go back to school. This was the worst massage I have ever had anywhere ever. She did not know anything at all about giving a massage. All she did was rub some lotion on my back. No massage at all. Rub the top of my shoulders and rub the same spot on my neck so long I thought she was going to make it sore.

Lifted the sheet no higher than my kneecaps on the back of my legs and rubbed lotion on my calves and my heels. Rubbed lotion on the tops of my arms and the palm of my hands. When she went to do the tops of my legs, lifted the sheet to my shins and rubbed lotion on my shins and some on the heel of my feet. She never got off her little stool. It wasn't worth my time going all the way over there and my 8 year old granddaughter could have done a better job than this girl. The worst ever. Don't waste your time.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I had been given a gift certificate for a free massage by a relative who works for Massage Envy in another state. Upon arriving for my appointment, I presented my certificate. The receptionist said they were going to do this and that. I said "Whatever the gift certificate covers". The massage therapist, a man, was horrible. Very lackluster massage. He talked the entire time about a pyramid scheme he thought I should get involved with. I immediately told him no, and to please stop talking about it. He continued, to the point that I decided to leave no tip.

When leaving I was presented with a bill for $120! I reminded them of the gift certificate but was told it was good for only $40 off! So this ridiculous massage was supposed to cost $160? Way, way, way over the going rate here. My relative who gave me the certificate was outraged. Needless to say, I'll never go back and have convinced others to go to other massage therapists. These people in Miamisburg are scam artists.

Resolution response: Sept. 13, 2017

April, the manager of this location has completely resolved this situation. Though not a fan of the company's overall policy, she's been very helpful. Be sure you know - fully - what you're getting into and if it goes south pray you find an understanding, compassionate soul that's willing to help.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I stopped in to get a massage a couple weeks ago, ended up getting a facial as well at a new store on Germantown Road, Memphis, TN. Couldn't get out of bed due to pain for nearly a week following massage and got an eye infection along with acne breakout (I'm 51 and way past that) immediately following treatment. Suspect skin allergy to Murad products... Was verbally conned into signing their contract enticed by discounted services for the day. I say 'conned' because the young girl who says she's actually manager of the location did not disclose the fact that their contracts can NOT be canceled before 12 months are over.

To the contrary, she told me that I would only need to personally 'come in' to the location to cancel which I did yesterday, now that I'm able to get around again, at which time the girl (manager) told me I had to have cancelled within 3 days of signing their lengthy contract. I was stunned to say the least. When I told her that she didn't explain that on the front end she basically called me a liar and told me I'd signed and initialed their contract. She's correct only in that I did indeed sign and initialize the paperwork. My downfall was trusting that she truthfully disclosed the contract terms in her explanation; she did not. DO NOT EVER do business with these crooks. Worst management staff in existence and shoddy business ethics!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

My wife was sexually assaulted at the Massage Envy on Spring Green in the Kroger Center in Katy, Texas. I have contacted the Manager and the Corporate office. The owner has not called me back even though I will press charges with the Katy Police. This is not a safe place. My wife still has 18 hours of credits and I have been a member since 2008. Warning... do not go here!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

My experience yesterday at Massage Envy was a disaster. The massage therapist was not pleasant with her overall attitude. I wanted deep tissue massage (what I normally would get) and she did more of a deep surface rub and I wound up this morning with massive bruising on my back and glutes. I was unable to sleep and unable to sit with my back touching anything. I've never experienced anything like it. I am extremely dissatisfied.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

Caution when you cancel!!! I was a member at the Warren, NJ location for just over 2 years and was usually happy with their services. This year I have had some medical issues arise so I needed to cancel my membership. There is no information online as to how to go about or what is required short. Since mobility is a real issue for me now I called and learned that you must cancel at the location you signed your agreement with. I was able to locate the email address for my location as well as the Home Office. On June 5th I emailed my intent to cancel to my location and cc'd the Home Office. I received a response with the required form needed. I emailed the completed form on June 9th again to my location and cc'd the Home Office. I received no reply that there was any issue. On July 11th I received a phone call that "My payment had been processed and would I like to schedule an appointment".

I stated that I had canceled my membership and had emailed the form back on June 9th. They immediately refunded my payment. I thought that would be the end of it. Wrong! Just to make sure, I checked my credit card statement and sure enough there was a charge on August 11th!!!! I tried calling but was only able to leave a message as they were renovating the location. I did not receive a call back that they got my message and were correcting the problems. So I drove down and walked in. Granted I was not in the best of moods but I feel I had a right to be a little upset since 2 1/2 months later they were still billing my credit card... Illegally. I was in no way rude nor was I even loud.

I was told that only the manager could cancel an account and they were not there today. I attempted to say when I had sent in the form, but the girl behind the counter apparently didn't want to hear it as she began speaking over me "Mam, I can see all that information in my computer". When I pointed out she didn't need to be pissy she claimed she wasn't. Why would I know what you can see??? You have told me nothing about what information you have. I explained that her most current statement and tone were uncalled for as I was trying to provide her with copies of the email string and the form for her manager so they could finally do their job. Miraculously she was able to cancel my account.

You can bet that I will be checking my credit card statement every month from now on to ensure they aren't hitting my card again. If I see a September payment, I will have to take this to the next level. For anyone looking to cancel you should be able to find your location's store number online, "Massage Envy (city,state) store number". Their email address should be "clinic(store number)@massageenvy.com" and the home office is info@massageenvy.com. Good luck and pay attention to your credit card!!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

My granddaughter and I needed a massage. We both just basically got no results from either massage therapist, my granddaughter said she would not rub her. It was against policy to rub more than softly and she asked her to massage an area where she had a knot, she was talking the whole time. The worst she ever had. Her 4 year old sister could of done better. I have been in the beauty industry and my ex boyfriend was a therapist. I got many massages and the one Massage Envy gave me was a joke. All I received was a oil bath and he would not rub me at all, I got off his table and told him I won't get any effects from his massage. What kind of massage are they performing. They were the biggest rip off and I was stressed out after leaving there. The staff offered nothing. Do not go to Massage Envy. BEWARE.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I was considering a membership to Massage Envy. It is basically a legal contract so I wanted to get a copy to review it before signing. They don't provide the details on their web page so the contract is the only place you can see them. They would not provide a copy until I signed up. The only option they offered was to come in and read it there. You should be able to review any legal document ahead of time and even allow your lawyer to review it if you would like. Their reasons for not providing it aren't valid. It appears they don't really want consumers to fully understand what they are getting into. After doing some research I can see why there are so many complaints regarding their practices and decide NOT to pursue a membership.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I have had some decent massages from Massage Envy, but with that said, I have had some horrible ones as well. One, in particular, was reported, and the people behind the desk acted as though it was funny. They did not offer to have it replaced or have another therapist provide the service. The concept, in general, is horrible. It keeps the clients paying up the "rear end" for life. I absolutely DESPISE the way they do business, and there should be more class-action lawsuits on them. If a person has a life change that does not allow them to avail themselves of the services, it is just "too damned bad". They continue to rip the clients-off. I only hope and pray that they will go out of business or that some other entities file another successful "class-action" lawsuit.

The other thing I despise about Massage Envy is the fact that if you have a facial, they make you use their own supplies, Murad. I personally do not care for Murad. It does nothing for me or my skin. The customers are not allowed to bring in their own preferred brand of skin care to use. I absolutely dislike the way Massage Envy does business. If there is another class action lawsuit action, please let me know.

Original review: July 18, 2017

This was a few years ago. I went to Massage Envy. The first time I went I had a female. It was good. Then I was given a certificate for a facial and massage. Both were male, first facial it was ok, then I had a male for massage and it was so painful and I told him and he noticed how tense I was so he stop. Then did the same thing, happened again, painful again. I just took like a idiot. Then it was over and then I went to the front desk. I did mention it but then she asked if I talked to the male who and I said yes but I didn't take to management. I did and I really feel I should of been tougher but I was but I wouldn't never go there again.

Original review: July 17, 2017

In May 2017 I cancelled my membership. I went to the location to pay the penalty for early cancellation. I was told there would be no penalty and furthermore that they had set aside a free massage for me. I did not use the free appointment. In July I noticed they had continued charging my account. When asked they said it was the penalty and that I could freeze the account but that I would have to pay all of the remaining Months. My gripe is that they said no penalty just to then penalize me anyway. In my world that is no integrity. In May they cancelled my appointment without informing me. I highly recommend you not buy this.

Massage Envy Company Information