1.37/5

Folsom, CA

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

320 Massage Envy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I signed a contract on the basis that I could cancel, freeze or change the billing date. I tried doing that but I am getting the runaround. My husband's contract does not have a date for his contract. I was threatened to be reported to a collections agency even though I have not even been charged once. I called the assistant manager Sidney, she's the one that signed the contract, and now she keeps putting me off as well. I need to cancel both contracts due to misinformation and representation. I will reported this to the BBB as well.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

This is in reference to the Massage Envy in Alta-Arden in Sacramento, CA. I wish I could give zero stars if possible. I never had a problem with the services I received until I needed to cancel my membership. My 12 month contract had already been fulfilled so I was within our agreement of canceling with no additional fees. Canceling is not as easy as it would seem with them. I was told by the front desk that only the manager can process my cancellation and that there is a 10 day processing for a cancellation to go through. I called on a Monday and left a message. I went into the business on Tuesday and left another message for the manager. I called and left a message again on Wednesday, no return call. I ended up having to call my bank to have a stop payment completed for this business because it seemed like no one would ever cancel my membership.

I finally received a form on Thursday for canceling the membership via email, which I promptly walked in to submit personally that same day. I requested a copy of this form, which the receptionist said would take 10 days for the manager to complete (the manager was in the back office, I heard them talking. Mind you, the form only required her signature - it was not a lengthy document.

Today I received an email from the director that my request for canceling has been denied because this month's payment did not go through. This does not make sense to me that they would deny my request for canceling, even though I fulfilled my 12 month contract. There was no information given to me that there are additional fees required for cancellation even after my contract has been fulfilled. I checked the history of Massage Envy online and it seems there are multiple lawsuits and unhappy customers from various locations. They definitely engage in some shady business practices.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have been going to Massage Envy for many years. I have had good experiences with my massage therapists. I try to get the same therapist as customer service does when rescheduling, but sometimes a fluke happens and I get another massage therapist, which usually works out for me. The only complaint that I have is that they are not always good about calling to remind me about appointments, which usually results in me missing my appointment and I have to pay for the missed session. I don't think that that's a fair practice.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have been a member of Massage Envy since 2011 out of the Goodyear, AZ location. Always received topnotch service, therapists, massage, experience. Recently located to MN. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE IN MN. The locations in Burnsville, Apple Valley and Eagan are poorly run, can't get in to see therapists, locations can't keep therapists. When you call to make appt they ask if you are member or guest. Guests get 1st dibs on appts so paying members keep paying and can't get in.

Last summer when in MN I put my membership on hold because couldn't get in for over 2 months while "guests" could. This summer, since arriving in April, I've received 3 massages in 7 months because therapists move, rotate, leave, no appointments. I am paying $65/mo for a service I can't use. When expressing dissatisfaction to staff, all they are able to say is "I'm sorry." No solutions offered unless you want to wait 3 months for next available appt. But, they keep signing on new members who seem to be able to get in. HUGE difference between AZ service and MN. DONT DO IT!!! SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Member since 2/2018. Front desk decided changed my perks during membership. Pay for membership every month 9 months. Only had 2 facials. Purchased all products recommend by esthetician. That was great! Was told when purchasing membership also buy front desk as member allowed free sample of any product. During 9 months got one free sample. Since membership is paid every month, but I don’t use it. I tried to use a so called perk today since I have months and months paid I don’t use. Walked in, tried get free sample. Now this is no longer a perk for members? Can only get free sample if recommend by esthetician. This was not what I was told before. I don’t use every month but I pay every month. Now as member can’t have free sample. Very conflicting info. Also major waste of my money. No perks for me. I will not recommend and I will not renew.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Massage Envy?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

My husband and I have belonged to their membership program for over 10 years. We both had prepaid for massages. I had 6 and ask them to freeze my account as I has moved from the area and could only use them when I would be in town. I was told I had 6 months to use them and my account would be frozen till Mar of 2019: I was informed today I could not use one without unfreezing my account and having them charge me for another prepaid. I asked to have my money refunded since I had moved out of the area 3 hours away from the nearest Massage Envy. I was then told they didn’t give refunds for services not rendered. My husband finally gave up arguing and he too had prepays. What a great scam for this company. Beware of their policy.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Massage Envy Victor NY - I had an appointment 2 months ago and left work early for it. I even had a confirming phone call the day before. I showed up 15 minutes early and was told that they called and left a message but the therapist was not available. I showed them my phone and no messages or missed phone calls. I even had an email but the emails do not tell you when your appointment is and I called and talked to the manager (knew in the last 6 months) and I’ve been a member for 2 1/2 years with never a problem until this new manager started.

I schedule my appointments a rolling 3 months out for 90 minute sessions. So I called the manager and complained about the blank emails and my last appointment that was never cancelled. I told him, "Two errors and the third time you’re out." He said he would personally take care of it. So yesterday I received a phone call confirming my appointment for 2 and I said, "No. It’s at 4." The lady said, "Strange. I have you scheduled at 2 and 4 for 90 minute appointments," and she said she will cancel the two and, "I will see you tomorrow at 4."

So I get there and to no surprise I’m not down. They looked it up and saw both were cancelled. I said, "Look for my appointment in Nov 3rd at 2." Not there. I said, "I’m done here, cancel my membership." The manager then said, "Maybe it was a misunderstanding yesterday and she thought you cancelled both." I said, "No. She said I’ll see you tomorrow at 4." He said, "Sir you’re getting aggressive. Maybe we should cancel your membership," and asked me to fill out a form. Imagine, me being blamed twice as the customer and now I had to fill out a form. I asked for the owner's number and he said it is posted on the wall for Jason. I called it four times and it is a disconnected number. He assured me that he would call me and that I would not be charged. Great massages but terrible front desk under this manager.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

During my massage the male therapist kept putting his genitals on my hand or arm. And he was aroused. Then he leaned over my entire body with his body completely touching mine. I stopped the session, went out to ask for the manager. Spoke to the manager and asst and they took a written statement. They gave me a brochure about providing a safe environment yet they did not provide one. No apology, no promise to investigate further. I was called by the area manager and told my story again. Again, I don't believe anything was done. This is the Massage Envy in Webster TX.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I’m so frustrated about the service I got from them! When I call for appointment they ask for my debit card immediately which I gave because I thought I will be happy and come back for more massage service but before I end the conversation with the girl name Mimi she informed me that I will get 50% charge if the will cancel on the day of the service! I know that’s their policy. They gave me cold tea to drink while waiting even though I ask for hot tea! Gave me a guy therapist which I got shock because they don't even ask me when I set an appointment if I prefer a girl therapist!

I have no choice because I cannot come back another time to wait for a girl therapist. They ask me to log to their tablet and answer this questions what area of my concerns in my body so I choose. But the massage is just my back not the whole body which I expect. The facility is hot, dirty and not relaxing! I spend $70 for nothing including tip. Never come back and never recommended to my friends!!!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I suffer intractable tension/migraines and have been getting massage therapy over 15 yrs from dozens of therapists. KC at the Massage Envy on the Promenade in D’Iberville, MS has a medical background and is very knowledgeable in A&P. I have benefited from his expertise. The receptionists are friendly and helpful when scheduling and the facility is clean and comfortable.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I paid extra for 1 hr massage and I felt my 9 year old son was playing in back. Masseuse was untrained and I will never go back to that location as I spoke to the front desk and she did not even tried to gain my business.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I cannot recommend Massage Envy, and I have made three visits to two different locations. They are more interested in up-selling than meeting your massage needs. $10 more for "Boost" this or "Boost" that, or aromatherapy, etc. When I went to their website, I could not see the price of the massage I wanted to schedule until the end of question process. When I called to ask where I could find a price list on the website, the person said "corporate wants people to call the salon so prices can be given over the phone for that specific location." Right...wink, wink. Only thing is, if you actually schedule an appointment online, it shows you the price for that very location. Sooo...why can't prices be displayed BEFORE you schedule your appointment? Sounds a bit sketchy.

Each time I have been to Massage Envy (three visits to two different locations), I feel like a head of cattle. The staff are not unfriendly, they just move you along. With a smile, of course. I recommend that, if you are in the Greenville, SC area, you schedule your massage at a salon that will actually take care of YOU, not their bottom line.

The Spa at West End https://westendspa.com/. WOW! They truly treat you like royalty, and they make sure you do not feel rushed. There is a steam room you can enjoy after your massage, and they tell you to stay as long as you like. And the sitting area is very private and nice. I've been there twice, and have not been disappointed. True professionals. AND, they are actually $5 less for a 60-minute than Massage Envy. I've been to one or two other places in downtown Greenville for a massage, and one on the outskirts of town. They have all been better than Massage Envy, but the Spa at West End https://westendspa.com/ is the best I've experienced. Prices are pretty comparable wherever you choose to go.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

If I could give this location less than one I would... Bad management in terms of customer service and communication skills needed for successful business practices. Made an appointment, spoke with a representative confirming appointment and that my appointment was to use past massages granted by a lawsuit against the company awarded back to customers. After explaining everything to her, she informed me “That it was fine and just bring the paper work With you.” Arrive at my appointment after driving 40 min while 8 and 1/2 months pregnant, I fill out their consent forms and explain everything again. Not one min into the explanation a manager walks out and takes over the conversation. She says these expired. I told her I wasn’t aware, I received a phone call from this location stating I could use 75% of my past messages and that they didn’t expire according to the representative I spoke with.

I explained that I had called to verify I could use them two days before my appointment. She continues to argue with me about the terms, saying, "I can’t just give you 6 messages." She tries to look up my past account and says, "I can’t find you." I said, "I had just logged onto my account within the past two days." Then she discovered my name was spelled incorrectly in their computer system. I understand miscommunication and policy I was in the Air Force for 14 years but accept the blame and don’t push responsibility off on another party. I would have understood if she said “I’m sorry for the miscommunication and paperwork errors but I can’t fix it.” Ok but don’t blame the customer or argue about the situation just for the sake of it.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I have been going round and round with Massage Envy for the second time. My mom and I both had wellness agreements with them and I finally got mine resolved and now I am battling for her. Due to a recent stroke, I am now her POA and we have about had it! Now, despite proof of the cancellation in January of 2017, they want me to submit medical records. Are you kidding me?!?! If I hadn't submitted her cancellation half a dozen times, I could understand the need to have that documentation. However, it was cancelled almost two years ago AND they kept charging her until this past May! This place is ridiculous.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I registered online for a massage and was going to use a gift card but unfortunately I had to postpone my appointment the evening prior. Unfortunately their scammy website does not allow for either online cancellation or rebooking! This is all part of their strategy of course because when you call them they also don't pick up the phone. I called again the next morning. Still no answer so I wrote an email to cancel then they responded that the cancellation window is 24 hrs so they have to charge me 50%.

I insisted that they made it very hard for me to cancel and that I was a first timer using a gift card but they didn't care and showed no flexibility whatsoever. This is absolutely unheard of! No Dr. Office, PT or other practice does not allow postponement or cancellation prior to the appointment. Beware of this! Personally, I am returning my gift card to them, they can keep it! And I will never set my feet there due to their terrible service and scammy marketing approach.

Original review: June 26, 2018

It seems like it's going to be such a good deal at Massage Envy, but once you get mired in the quicksand of all their administrative procedures, you might never get back out of it. In my particular case, the membership I signed onto automatically debits the cost of a massage every month with the promise you can always use them even if you miss going a month or two. Of course, that's not true. There are details that ensure you can never actually use your massages without always being behind, creating an indentured servitude situation.

Additionally, they have cancelled appointments without any notice. The staff has always been incredibly rude. The massage therapists are clearly overworked and unenthusiastic. It's really a bad deal. I can only strongly recommend that you look into Massage Envy reviews before you commit. At this point, I can only hope to recoup my trapped $180 from this company and never return.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I guess I truly wished I had done my research prior to signing a contract with this business. The customer service sucks! The management talks to you in a very patronizing tone and is inflexible--whatever happened to customer satisfaction??? They ask for feedback--but when given you're countered with excuses, blamed for misunderstanding and given empty, callous, passive responses. Please don't enroll in this service. You've been warned!

Original review: June 19, 2018

So disappointed that I could not get a refund on a gift card I purchased the day before. There is no indication, anywhere, that there are no refunds. When I spoke with management, they said that the gift card specifies that there are no refunds but you do not receive the gift card until AFTER the purchase. I asked, “if the moment after I purchased this gift card I read the card and found that it’s non refundable and requested a refund right then, would you have given me one?” Of course they said, “No.” If the card receipt I sign or ANY notification was visible that this is the case, that would no one thing. But I don’t see any reason not to offer refunds if no services have been rendered. I’m most concerned that I was not informed that the gift cards were non-refundable before purchase. The sales associate mentioned everything else in their bid to upscale me to the highest available package but failed to mention that.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I reside in Florida. However my home office is in California. Prior to Hurricane Irma I had 5 paid in advance unused visits. Before the storm hit I cancelled all future visits. Recovery took about 6 months to resume my normal routines. I called back to make my usual appointments only to be told due to no shows I no longer have visits. I am furious. This is a bunch of bull. No one from either office can provide a true total of how they came up with their findings. I'm not finished with them yet. I refuse to allow them to charge me the full price of 5 visits for 2 no shows. The Westley Chapel office is a ripoff.

Original review: May 22, 2018

DON'T SIGN UP FOR THIS SERVICE!!! This company has done nothing but stress me out since I signed the contract. My initial service was a gift from a friend. That went well. So afterward they talked me into signing up for a year contract. After signing the contract I asked to make an appointment that would be included in my contract fees. They made the appointment telling me explicitly that there would be no charge other than the upgrade of service that I requested. I arrived to my next appointment and was told there was a typo on the contract and I needed to sign a new one, but it changed nothing (I did ask if it would change my billing). Thinking that was fine I signed the contract. Before I did I questioned that they had changed the date on the contract beginning and ending. I inquired and was again reassured it changed nothing.

So I had my service done and was only told afterward that because the contract date changed I had no choice but to pay for the entire service that day... and additionally pay the contract fee when due. I wasn't happy of course, but I did what I was told I had to. I made a follow up appointment. That appointment was canceled and I was never notified. They continued of course to draft from my account. I spoke with 3 different people there on separate occasions before I was able to reach an actual manager. He said I signed a contract and there was no disputing and regardless of whether I wanted to return after all this hassle that they would continue to draft the fee. I contacted my bank and am now disputing the fee and canceling my debit card to ensure they cannot access my account for future fees. This is a shady corporation and they deserve every bad review they receive.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I booked 60 minute massage online and received confirmation for May 19th 3 pm. When I arrived to my appt at 3 pm the front desk staff told me they moved my appt from 3 pm to 2:30 pm and I was 30 minutes late. Then I was told they tried calling me but no one answered and they also didn't leave me a voice mail. Sooo... let me get this straight... Massage Envy changed my appt time without notifying the customer. I disagreed with the front desk staff and went into the massage room expecting 60 minutes which is what I booked but I was wrong. The massage was over 15 minutes and they billed me $85. I could have caused a big scene, the staff is poorly managed and not smart business professionals. I wrote a email to the owner and still no response. I will never return to Massage Envy Blossom Hill San Jose, CA location.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I made the mistake of signing up for this membership and have lost tons of money as a result. Once you sign up it is extremely difficult to get an appointment. You can't get out of membership without jumping through hoops. In the meantime you get stuck with unused massages, which you lose unless you pay "hold fees". In addition, my elderly mother had a stroke and as her caretaker I now have no free time to use a massage. Then I broke 4 ribs and my dr told me not to get a massage as 1) I can't lie on stomach, and 2) should avoid possibility of moving or further injuring ribs.

Went into store to explain this and the employees literally ignore you. Can't get the manager to call me back. I literally can't give away my massages. The recipient would have to pay a guest fee and "tip" on a ridiculously marked up price. And if you find someone who actually wants the massages, you can only give them 1, so they really make it hard for you. I am going to have to bite the bullet and forfeit about $1000 worth of massages. Deeply regret ever walking into this store!

Original review: April 22, 2018

I booked a 90 minute facial over the phone. I was told it would be $68. When I arrived for the appointment today, I was told it would be $83. When I said I had been told $68 when I made the appointment, I was told it would be $68 if I joined today and I could think about that while I had my facial. My facial was good with Sky and he recommended some products which I planned to buy. When I went to pay for the appointment, I was told it was $143. This was very shocking and I asked about the $68 I had been promised. At this point, that was not an option, membership or no membership. After some discussion, I paid $83, left without the products I had intended to buy and will never return.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Had a 90 minute massage with Laszlo today and it was very good. After my massage I went to the receptionist to pay for the additional 30 minutes. The receptionist asked how my massage was and I said "very good". I paid cash for the 30 minutes and gave the receptionist another $20 and asked for $15 back. I told the receptionist the $5 was Laszlo's tip. The receptionist asked how my massage was. I had told him already that it was very good. I said again "it was very good". He then questioned my tip amount because I said my massage was very good. I couldn't believe what he had said. I was speechless. I gave this conversation a great deal of thought on my drive home.

Once home I called and asked for the manager and I was passed along to Regina (asst. mgr.) and explained what had happened. She said that the receptionist had overstepped and that is a conversation only for management. I checked my contract and did not see any wording regarding tips. Laszlo gave me a great massage, I paid for the service, but I don't believe a large tip should be expected. ME should pay their massage therapists better and not expect their customers to shell out an additional $20 a massage. The receptionist who confronted me regarding my tip reversed all the good Laszlo did during my massage.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Their policies are not customer focused. They promote 1 hour massages; which are actually 50 minutes. They take 10 minutes off your service to account for 'changing clothes', which actually takes a minute or two. They encourage members to Tip for 1-hour however. They CHARGE $10 to GIFT a massage to a potential new customer. And they limit gifting. Why would you want to deter trial by new folks by charging your long-time customers?

Turnover is high which suggests it's not a great company to work for. If you want to freeze your account (out of the country) they DON'T allow you to use the services you've accrued while the account is frozen. Would have liked to burn up some of the ten I have accrued before I leave the US. That's ultimately the reason I'm quitting. They'll probably be glad to see me go because I signed up with they only charged $39/month! Be sure to read all the fine print if you think about signing up. All that being said, I've had a few good therapists over the years. It's possible to get great treatment, but the company could care less about customer service.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I am LIVID with Massage Envy on Niagara Falls Blvd, Tonawanda, NY 14150. I have an appointment every 3 weeks. I went in tonight for my SCHEDULED 6:00 p.m. appointment, only to be told that I cancelled it the last time I was there and rescheduled it for this Thursday. I DID NOT CANCEL MY APPOINTMENT, YET THEY CANNOT GIVE ME THE NAME OF THE EMPLOYEE WHO CANCELLED IT. How DARE they speak to me in the condescending way I was just spoken to by the Assistant Manager. And to make matters even worse, when I asked for a Manager, she informed me AGAIN that she was the Assistant Manager. I have spent thousands of dollars at this location over the past few years, I book my appointments a year in advance for every three weeks, but their arrogance has me rethinking this entire situation.

At $60.00 per hour for the massage, plus a $15.00 tip, I'm spending $75.00 every three weeks, and they can just give someone else my appointment??? I even showed her my datebook, which clearly shows I had an appointment tonight at 6:00 p.m. I have had problems with the attitude of management at this location already (they do NOT ever call you back or follow up - they just do not care if a customer is unhappy), and tonight's attitude tops all. They obviously gave my appointment to someone else. Well, I may give my business to someone else. I'm sure there are many massage therapists who would love to earn $75.00 every three weeks.

Original review: March 22, 2018

They take too many memberships and not enough time slots or employees to accommodate customers. We fell behind in getting the monthly massage. Now have 14 visits accumulated and they are not willing to assist us in getting the number reduced. We cut off our account and now they state we have 60 day to use or lose them. But they cannot accommodate a schedule for us. Would not recommend this to anyone...

Original review: March 2, 2018

When I activated my 3 month membership, I have had nothing but trouble with this location. From mixing me up with another people, failing to call when changes were made to the schedule, errors on my account. The manager was flippant and dismissive of me when I called to clear this up. When I stated I never wanted to use their services again he didn't care. He is in customer service and should care. I wonder how many other customers left because of this location's staff. The front staff, clearly does not know what they are doing and are unprofessional. The manager doesn't know what he is doing. It is too bad, I started at this location in 2011 and was really happy with it until the new management took over and now I have no desire to ever use them again or any Massage Envy for that matter.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

AVOID THIS PLACE! They will get you to sign an open ended service agreement. They will verbally misrepresent the time frame for the monthly agreement. They will bill you $50/month whether you use it or not. They will convince you to have them bill your HSA account which you will not notice. Months will go by and they will continue to extract their monthly fee without your knowledge. You will pay them for NO SERVICE PROVIDED until you take action or until the HSA account is depleted!! They will be completely inflexible in the aftermath. These open ended contracts need to be declared ILLEGAL by the MN STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL: Lori Swanson! Avoid this establishment at all costs. They are a franchised establishment and my experience is with the Maple Grove location.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Their membership contracts are a scam! They tell you its terms are 12 month then conveniently leave the dates off the contract. Then they automatically charge your card every month after that year without your consent! To top it off...if you try to cancel they make you sign another BS contract that says you must use all remaining sessions within a short time period or you lose them! Dishonest thieves!!!

Massage Envy Company Information