Folsom, CA

3.8/5 (542 ratings)

About Massage Envy

Massage Envy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Massage Envy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Massage Envy?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

They charge customers no matter if due to medical condition customer can not keep an appointment. No communication from manager. They ignore calls from customers who want to resolve issues and continue with membership.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

This business is predatory on its subscription. My wife and I have attempted to cancel services on three separate occasions since 2020. Twice my wife has showed up to the store in person to cancel. Somehow, they continue to find a way to begin billing us again after a period. Our credit card number has changed several times, yet somehow they are able to reinstate billing. We have already paid over $1,000 in monthly charges since 2020 that apparently is non-refundable. This business and anyone working for it should be ashamed. I've just begun looking into this online if others are having similar problems and apparently short of recording yourself canceling and insisting that you will not leave the store without some document stating that all services will be cancelled. I am literally losing sleep as I am so upset that we are dealing with this again.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

I have been a member at Massage Envy for many, many years. I have had a poor experience with the recently. I had an appointment cancelled and they could not reschedule the appointment for me in the same month, therefore I did not receive the treatment that I paid for that month. This has happened several times in 2022, so I asked to speak with a manager. I was informed that they would call. I did not get a call, so called two more times and never heard back.

When I went for my next treatment, I asked to speak to the manager. She did speak with me and informed me an assistant manager called me and left a message for me offering a free additional service. Never received any message from the and she argued that my file said they did. Great, now call me a liar. I explained that I was not happy to have been charged for my July service and they were unable to provide me that service in that timeframe. I asked that they credit my account for that service and she said she could not do that, it was a credit on my account and I could still use it for additional services.

I explained that I did not want additional services, I signed up to obtain a monthly service from them and that is what I expected and if they could not provide it to me then I should be refunded. She said she could not do that, she would be happy to help me book additional massages in a month to use the credit. I again said I do not want to book 2 appointments for the same month, I book 1 massage per month and if they cannot provide it I should receive a credit on my payment. She again said she could not do this.

Needless to say I am not happy with this and their company policy is awful. They can charge you and not provide the service you paid for and will not refund you. I recommend that you not sign up for their services unless you are ok with them charging you for services they cannot provide. As soon as all of my credits are used up, I will be leaving and finding another company or person to provide me with the customer service I not only expect, but that I deserve.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

It is almost impossible scheduling an appointment with Massage Envy. I subscribed as a member around May, and I have not been able to use the membership since. I have been paying around $70 dollars a month. Today I moved several meetings to be able to make it to a 1:00pm last minute available appointment, however when I got there, the masseur was not the lady that usually works with me, it was a male masseur. When I told them I was not comfortable with a male masseur one of the receptionists rolled her eyes and the other one started laughing, making me feel very uncomfortable. I have rarely seen worse front desk staff, with a total lack of empathy and customer service aptitude.

I think this place is a scam. They keep selling these memberships in which you can easily sign in at their office just touching the iPad screen, however they know they cannot fulfill the service because they do not have staff, and yet they keep selling it. Furthermore, when you want to cancel the service, it is a nightmare. I sent an email requesting cancelation they told me I need to send a completed and signed form to their email address. You cannot cancel the service in person. The cancelation takes 10 days to happen and then you have 60 days to use your credits, however knowing that they do not have staff, you know you will lose your money. It is a pity because I had a very good experience with the masseur. Anyway. I just sent the cancelation form. I am happy to not have to ever use this awful place again.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

I subscribed December 2021 with Massage Envy and was only successfully booked three times. Since the last three appointments, I have been making my $70 monthly payment but not able to book. I have tried four different locations, they are booked in advanced. Basically this business is a scam. They book their clients in the office before they leave and for those who have to check their schedules for availability we are out of luck. I gifted Massage Envy over $ 490 Just because. I don’t recommend this business. I will file a BBB complaint since I have been taking screenshots of various locations and their unavailability for months.

Original review: July 17, 2022

I have been a Massage Envy member since 2009 and have paid the company thousands of dollars in monthly membership fees. I understand that Covid has negatively impacted how the business can function. Because they are no longer able to hire and retain massage therapists they need to change their membership guidelines. I get billed monthly for a massage but very rarely do they have openings to give me a massage! How can they bill me for a service and then be unable to provide the service? I currently have 14 prepaid massages that MASSAGE ENVY is unable to staff.

If I want to put my account on hold, they want to charge me $20/month to HOLD but I will have NO ACCESS to my "saved" massages. If I want to cancel my membership I have 3 months to use 14 prepaid massages (they cannot even provide me one due to short staffing). I finally wrote to the Attorney General of the State of Minnesota and received a call from someone in administration at Massage Envy with some resolution to my recent negative experiences. Stay tuned.

Resolution response: June 30, 2022

Company contacted and resolved.

Original review: June 30, 2022

Around two weeks ago, I tried to schedule an appointment with this massage envy location 990 Florin Road, Sacramento, CA, and I spoke to ** quite detailed. She had no appointments for the timeframe that I wanted it in. I was disappointed because I used to be an annual member, and considering I was having difficulty getting an appointment, it was really deterring me from joining Massage Envy in the long run. I explained to ** that I had a gift card that I wanted to use. We were on the phone for 10 minutes. She made an appointment a week and a half out.

The day before my scheduled appointment, ** called me to confirm the appointment. I confirmed. She then proceeded to request my credit card information over the phone. I told her I didn't feel comfortable with that and that I mentioned to her the first round, that I had a gift certificate, so why didn't she tell me about the need for a credit card. She proceeded to apologize, said it was Massage Envy's policy to get a credit card. That she would have a manager call me in 48 hours (to date, no manager has called, and I left a message today prior to writing this up). She cancelled my appointment because I refused to give her a credit card. I would like my full paid out cash on my credit card. This is a scam. Why is massage envy selling gift cards, with no disclosure that a credit card is required for booking the appointment. I will never do business here especially at this location

Original review: June 15, 2022

I have been a member for over 7 years and have always been happy with the technicians there. It is the business side that is really pissing me off. I have always left my gratuity on my credit card and the technicians have never complained to me. Now they have an outside company, 'Tippy', that you go through to leave your tip. What they don't tell you is the customer is paying their service charges of 5.4% or as Tippy says: 2.75% + .50 per transaction.

It's a shame that these businesses are pushing their credit card service charges onto the client. Many like myself do not carry cash so this new policy will just push me out of their door to another business down the road where I am sure there are just as talented technicians who appreciate my gratuity. Bye bye Massage Envy....

Original review: June 10, 2022

For at least three times I have shown up to find my appointment has been cancelled. Made it a month ago and now they said they could rebook a month from now. Said the therapist no longer works there. A month wait has become common and they have no problem taking my money every month. May be time to move on!

Original review: April 24, 2022

I also have staffing issues in my business but I don't charge my customers for services I cannot deliver. I have not been able to book a massage at a time that will work for me for nearly 6 months. The price has gone up repeatedly and I have started using them for much cheaper services just because I can make an appointment for them. At one time I kept my membership because I would lose a lower rate if I cancelled. Now a future membership will SAVE me money as I am being charged more than the new member rate. If I can't find a way to use up the banked services I will just cancel and lose them. Services are cheaper if you are a member but only if you don't work or want a lot of facials. Staff has always been friendly and tried to be helpful but I hope franchise owners are looking into a way to reward members. Customer services ratings should terrify them.

Massage Envy Company Information