3.26/5

Folsom, CA

379 Massage Envy Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 10, 2019

I’ve had good and bad experiences with M.E. But yesterday I had an appointment with my new therapist and I gotta tell you, she was extremely cute! Long story short we connected in a different way if you know what I mean! I loved massage and I’m sure she loved what I had for her!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I have been very pleased with my Massage Envy experience, and, from reading these reviews, can only surmise that it is because of the manager at the Burke, Virginia store. I bought a membership for myself and my daughter. Mine is $10 more a month, they give you a discount for the second. I have had these memberships nearly 10 years. I had to have surgery, etc., so I missed a ton of monthly massages. Since they allow you to bank them, I wasn't too concerned, but finally went in to redeem them, and since I had so many to redeem, I wanted to turn a lot of them into guest massages and give as gifts. My daughter was in grad school at the time, and I wanted to gift to her classmates, as well as family members. So I told her to ask who wanted them, and I would need their names and addresses. She did so, and got about 10 people who wanted a free massage. I also included my family members.

Because I had so many massages left, the Burke, VA manager not only allowed me to redeem all these massages at once, she also allowed me to give each person TWO Free massages! And she waived the $10 fee per guest. The store filled out the gift card for each person (it is a paper card, similar to a postcard) and wrote TWO Massages or something informative like that at the top, also with the person's name. People have had no trouble redeeming them, and these kids live all over the country now.

It is difficult to get an appointment unless you go 2 weeks out. I gave 4 stars because this is annoying. It is also annoying because the people they employ at the desk to schedule appointments seem to be somewhat unaware of what's going on when you call. I prefer to make my appts online. They opened a new Massage Envy much closer to me, and I have had No Problem switching between the stores for my appointments. As far as my appointments go, I have had massages, stretch, hot stone and facials. I like a fairly firm/hard massage, and the therapists are very accommodating with this. They always ask if it is hard enough, if I want something different, if I have areas they should work on more, etc. I have not had any issues in this area.

I would not recommend the stretch if you had recent surgery. I thought I would be ok since my surgery was 4 months ago, but it is still too soon, and it was painful and of course stretching me, which I am still having issues with. The hot stone is fantastic. The facials are too, and I look so great for the week I get them. Anyway, there seem to be a lot of negative reviews on this site, so I thought I'd share my experience. I will let you know if I try to cancel and how that goes, because that seems to be the major issue on this site. But in my experience, so far, so good.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I travel a lot around the world and getting a massage is for relaxation as well as therapeutic. I am very appreciative for my massage therapist Lacy in Murfreesboro, TN location as she is very good, professional and have great attention to detail. I have had a lot of massages and Lacy is the best... Thank you Lacy, you are awesome!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have been going to Massage Envy for many years. I have had good experiences with my massage therapists. I try to get the same therapist as customer service does when rescheduling, but sometimes a fluke happens and I get another massage therapist, which usually works out for me. The only complaint that I have is that they are not always good about calling to remind me about appointments, which usually results in me missing my appointment and I have to pay for the missed session. I don't think that that's a fair practice.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I suffer intractable tension/migraines and have been getting massage therapy over 15 yrs from dozens of therapists. KC at the Massage Envy on the Promenade in D’Iberville, MS has a medical background and is very knowledgeable in A&P. I have benefited from his expertise. The receptionists are friendly and helpful when scheduling and the facility is clean and comfortable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Massage Envy?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I started going to Massage Envy due to a whiplash injury. During my time there, I was offered a membership and was hesitant due to some reviews I had read but with reassurance from the receptionist helping me, it seemed like maybe it would be a good idea. I was given a tablet with questions to answer, and a review of the membership. I remember specifically reading the portion of the cancellation policy provided to me. It stated that I paying month to month and if I wanted to cancel could do so. Cancelling could just take up to 10 business days. Hence couple a weeks before your account is charged. That's what was represented to me when signing and the receptionist revised this with me and never stated I couldn't cancel.

I lost my job and made this aware to the area manager Jason. He stated instead of cancelling my account, they could just freeze it so I wouldn't be charged (No job no money) and he would call me some time later on to follow up with me and see if I wanted to keep my membership due to my financial situation. I had this conversation toward the end of May.

It's August 15th now and have never received one call from Jason or anyone at my home clinic. This morning I see on my bank statement a $60 charge from Massage Envy. That was really confusing because I had not spoken with anyone about un-freezing my membership. So I call Jason. No answer and voicemail is full. Tells me he's a manager who doesn't care or follow up if he allows his voicemail to be full. So I call again and he answered. I explained the charge, he was rude and helpful, kept stating he couldn't do anything until he was in the office. I understood that and was just trying to make him aware but he didn't want to listen to anything I had to say.

He called me an hour later and stated my account was eligible to cancel due to a 12 month contract that I had signed. I explained I didn't sign for a 12 month contract and that was never stated to me that was the obligation. As he kept talking over me I was trying to explain I signed a month to month and no longer want their services and want my membership canceled. He just kept talking over me so finally I had to hang up. I've also requested my medical records 3 separate times and have received nothing. I explained I need these records to settle an insurance claim for my whiplash injury. I have even called the corporate center and left a message and never received a response.

I have contacted my bank to dispute the charge because with the understanding given to me, my account would not be charged while on freeze and Jason never disclosed to me that is only temporary to have an account on freeze. He never said in a x amount of time, Massage Envy will start to debit your account. I never gave authorization for this charge and I am really frustrated and upset with such careless customer service and fraudulent representation of their policy. At this point it's a nightmare and I wouldn't ever recommend services from Massage Envy.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I originally started here 6 years ago and the quality of customer service from branch to branch is ridiculously unpredictable. Some branches don’t answer the phone, some never have appointments available, some have no decent massage therapists. I have MS and I asked two different therapists to focus on my feet at the Falls of Neuse in Raleigh branch. After neither did more than a few minutes on my feet- I complained and got an assurance that would never happen again. I was so unhappy I didn’t re-up when my membership ran out but they continued to run charges on my card.

I went back about six months ago and said I wanted to use up the massages on my account and was told I would have to sign up again and that many of the ones I had accrued were expired. I had to talk to the manager twice to get them reinstated in a weird way that almost all receptionists don’t understand. I decided to give away all of my other massages on account and was told I have to pay a $10 fee for each one to give them away. It’s a giant racket and not really worth it. You’re going to occasionally find a good therapist but the business practices are shady and they will bleed you dry at the drop of a hat. Avoid.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Started out of the gate and was satisfied with the service. However down the road things begin to deteriorate. Had to make appointments over one month in advance to even come close to a appointment time that fit my schedule. Then begin a series of months where, even after scheduling an appointment a month in advance, they would call and cancel the appointment, another month in advance. Before you knew I had 3 to 5 months credit stacked up. But of course that didn't stop the charges to my credit card.

Finally I'd had enough. Went to the bank and had the automatic deduction canceled. Then went to, on same day, ME and signed a statement canceling out my "honorable" membership. At that point I still had two months credit of massages. But figured would just bite the bullet. A review of my bank statement a month later revealed that even though I had canceled the membership, at the bank and at ME, somehow they had managed to deduct $130.00 dollars from my account at the end of the month. So that totals out to FOUR massages I paid for but was not able to schedule. Two from the previous credit and two ($130.00) illegal charges to my bank account. A grand total of $260.00. NEVER AGAIN

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I had good experience with them for almost 2 years. I cancelled my membership after the rudeness of my last massage therapist. The last time I had an appointment she had an upper respiratory infection. I know it’s hard to miss work but this something you would not appreciate from an organization that promotes wellness.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I've been a member since 2008. I've been wanting out for years. My employment required me to move often. Nearly every transfer to a new location has involved some issue; one location cancelled my membership instead of transferring it, which would have been great but they didn't advise they were cancelling the membership and that I had a very short time to use up a large number of rolled-over services. Since I wasn't aware (and I could not realistically use that many services in that short a time even if I was aware), I lost the large number of prepaid services I had. I raised Cain and got *most* of my services back.

I go for several month stretches where I can't come in, and I wanted to freeze my account to allow me to use up a bunch of those accrued services. They do that- "great!" I thought... but it turns out you have to PAY MONEY TO GET THEM TO STOP TAKING YOUR MONEY. There is a fee per month to freeze your account. The website log in allows me only to book; I cannot personally monitor the number of services I've paid for or make sure they're all accounted for. I think this is very deceptive. They're only interested in new members. They're also interested only in selling you product. I refuse to get facials from them any more for this reason; I had tried facials as a way to work down my prepaid so that I could finally leave but the repeated sales pitches turned me off of that in a hurry.

I had also tried transferring/gifting sessions from my prepaids- they mucked that all up so the recipients never got their sessions and I was out those sessions I had prepaid. So, if you get a membership, you can't get out of it. I've been trying for a while. It's more stress and hassle than it's worth, and while the massages were competitively priced when I started, they're definitely not anymore. As another person noted, with the monthly fee plus gratuity, you really are better off paying for massages as you go, and pay about what you would most anywhere else. I will say the therapists over the years have mostly been great people. I have no issues with the therapists. All of my complaints are directed at their deceptive corporate practices. I would recommend them for single massages, but seriously, stay far away from the membership.

Massage Envy Company Information