1.44/5

Folsom, CA

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

339 Massage Envy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

One massage monthly sounded like a great idea! $65 a month for an hour massage is not a "deal" for signing a contract of 14 months. You can only cancel by going into a store. Much like gym memberships - so they can try to convince you to stay and threaten fines for canceling. Their website's a joke. For $65 a month I can login, schedule an appointment and log out. No billing options. No way to keep track of how many sessions you have. Extremely inconvenient. No customer service contact besides each location directly. But I don't want to complain about the location - they were wonderful - I want to speak to Massage Envy as a whole! Nope. Impossible. I will be looking forward to saving $65 a month as soon as my membership terms in April. Oh and don't forget to write your formal termination letter 1 month before your last day OR ELSE!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Once you sign up for a monthly massage, you soon find out there are seldom any times open that fit into your schedule. If you never needed to work, you might have a better chance to get in, but otherwise, they might have one or two times that fit in a six week window. The other option is to drive all over town to get an appointment. I plan to cancel. It's too much work.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I am writing this to express my true displeasure for Massage Envy (EM) business practices. Not only do I feel I was not getting what I paid for with a monthly fee, getting out of the contract after more than a year has proved beyond belief. I requested in writing and verbally to end my contract, which I had every right to do so. However, ME pressured me to sign a release before they would end my contract. I refused to sign and have since been pressured to "bring my balance current" before "talking about closing the account". As a result, I have been forced to put a stop payment to ME as they refuse to recognize my request without signing documents absolving them of all liabilities.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I woke up with a migraine and stiff muscles on a Saturday. I know that my headaches are due to muscle issues stemming from a neck surgery I had last year so I searched for a massage place open on Sundays. I figured if I woke up Sunday and felt better, I would cancel. I found Massage Envy's website and they had an opening on Sunday. I scheduled online and noticed that my total would be $90 even though their website said a 60 minute massage was $50. I called the office and the receptionist said that "The system doesn't recognize you and it was a lie - I would only be charged $50."

I woke up Sunday feeling a bit better so I went to cancel online. I found I couldn't adjust appointments online so I called and left a message saying I would like to reschedule for a different day. I got a returned phone call and they left a message saying that although I have not been given the information yet, there is a 50% reschedule/cancellation fee and a 100% no show fee. First of all, if this is a rule, this should be clearly stated as you are scheduling your appointment. They should also state the "rules" of membership up front as well. Running a business based on lies and deceit is shameful. Tricking people into a "membership" is ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I was concerned about the cleanliness of the massage rooms. I walked in and the front Desk Associates didn’t even show me to the waiting room. They seemed only concerned about getting me into the waiting room and I received no personal attention after that. The massage was good but not worth the price. I have had a much better experience at other massage places and felt like I received my money’s worth.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Massage Envy?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I would advise, if you do not go monthly on a consistent basis, not to sign up for membership. I have been a customer for years and have 20+ massages on the book. I decided that I did not want to continue my membership and use the session I have ALREADY paid for. Well, if you don’t give them an active card, they block the sessions and you cannot use them until you give them an active card. How can you block me from using something I have already purchased? Oh yea, they will do you a favor and give you 6 months off...a joke. I will be contacting the corporate office. Don’t do it; it’s a ripoff!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I have been very pleased with my Massage Envy experience, and, from reading these reviews, can only surmise that it is because of the manager at the Burke, Virginia store. I bought a membership for myself and my daughter. Mine is $10 more a month, they give you a discount for the second. I have had these memberships nearly 10 years. I had to have surgery, etc., so I missed a ton of monthly massages. Since they allow you to bank them, I wasn't too concerned, but finally went in to redeem them, and since I had so many to redeem, I wanted to turn a lot of them into guest massages and give as gifts. My daughter was in grad school at the time, and I wanted to gift to her classmates, as well as family members. So I told her to ask who wanted them, and I would need their names and addresses. She did so, and got about 10 people who wanted a free massage. I also included my family members.

Because I had so many massages left, the Burke, VA manager not only allowed me to redeem all these massages at once, she also allowed me to give each person TWO Free massages! And she waived the $10 fee per guest. The store filled out the gift card for each person (it is a paper card, similar to a postcard) and wrote TWO Massages or something informative like that at the top, also with the person's name. People have had no trouble redeeming them, and these kids live all over the country now.

It is difficult to get an appointment unless you go 2 weeks out. I gave 4 stars because this is annoying. It is also annoying because the people they employ at the desk to schedule appointments seem to be somewhat unaware of what's going on when you call. I prefer to make my appts online. They opened a new Massage Envy much closer to me, and I have had No Problem switching between the stores for my appointments. As far as my appointments go, I have had massages, stretch, hot stone and facials. I like a fairly firm/hard massage, and the therapists are very accommodating with this. They always ask if it is hard enough, if I want something different, if I have areas they should work on more, etc. I have not had any issues in this area.

I would not recommend the stretch if you had recent surgery. I thought I would be ok since my surgery was 4 months ago, but it is still too soon, and it was painful and of course stretching me, which I am still having issues with. The hot stone is fantastic. The facials are too, and I look so great for the week I get them. Anyway, there seem to be a lot of negative reviews on this site, so I thought I'd share my experience. I will let you know if I try to cancel and how that goes, because that seems to be the major issue on this site. But in my experience, so far, so good.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I would like to question the cancellation charge policy of Massage Envy: I have been a monthly paying member of massage envy for years. I cancelled my appointment one time as there was a personal emergency that I could not avoid. I was charged Cancellation Fees! However, however- check out the double standards on how they handle clients. I have been canceled twice by their therapists the same day, actually within couple of hours of appointment. No follow up call asking to reschedule. No credits or favors for messing up my schedule. Yes, I am a very busy working professional where my time is as precious as their therapists. Just the way I am charged for cancellation, should I not be charging them???

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I bought a gift card to Massage Envy at the Sandy, UT store for my wife. I was told for an hour massage it was $50 so I loaded $50 dollars on the gift card. When she went to use it she was told it would be another $25. I called the store very next day to speak with the manager however the manager was not in so I left a message for the manager to call me back. A week later a no call so I called back. Manager was not in. I was told the manager called me back and refunded the $25 which was a lie because I did check with my bank. This went on for a month. I finally was able to can a hold of the manager and she refunded the $25 after I threw a fit. I also cancel my membership. I will never go back there again.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I was very hesitant to sign up because I don't get massages enough to use it and have had bad experienced before whenever doing memberships and wanting to cancel. They assured me I could cancel whenever I want and that I would not even have to go to the store to do so which I explained to them that is the only way I will sign up because I do not want to go through a hassle just to cancel. SO of course I signed up when they promised me all of that. Couple months later I decided to gift one of my sessions because they the girls that signed me up told me I could do that if I don't use it. Then I find out I will be charged $10 for gifting it which I thought was pretty dumb since they said I could gift the sessions I don't use and never informed me I would have to pay for that when I signed up.

I decided to call in and cancel my membership and the lady tells me I have to come in to do so. Now that really surprised me since I was promised I would not have to. I went in on a Saturday 1/05/2019 filled out a forum to request a cancellation and was advised I'd be contacted in 48 hours by manager. I did get contacted until Friday in which she told me I cannot cancel to September. That's 8 months from now! What a joke! I will be contacting corporate.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My brother-in-law who is a member, sent me a free massage point about 6 months ago. I call in and they told me my point was good to go and my appointment had been scheduled. I go in to get the massage and after they tell me the point I had was invalid. My brother-in-law cancelled his account about two months earlier and since he did that the point I had in my account was invalid.

My brother-in-law paid for that point and paid the 10 dollar transfer to me as a birthday gift. I had no idea he had canceled his account and that it would have an effect on the point I had. The price of the massage was 100 bucks! That is insane! No sane person would pay that for a dump like Massage Envy. They were very rude about the situation and gave me no solution to fix it. The staff refused to let me talk to a manager. I'm never going to Massage Envy ever again and my sister who also had an account there will be cancelling her account too. This is the Massage Envy in Anaheim Hills, CA

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I became a Massage Envy subscriber a while back, but then like a lot of people, I got busy and massages began to build up. Management agreed to let my fiance and I use the massages to catch up if I wouldn't cancel my membership. In December the franchise ownership changed and they are changing the deal. I have over $1000 in massages backlogged. If I quit because they reneged, they will keep the money. They said they could pause and let me use up the massages I already paid for... For an additional $20 a month. Do NOT sign up for the subscription and if you ever find yourself getting even one month behind... CANCEL!! A main profit source comes from keep the dollars you paid for massages without having to pay the therapist. $1000 in my case, unless I pay $20/mo until they are used up.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

If you are not a member, don’t become one. My location shut down with no notice to me. I found out from another member and have been trying to get information on how to use unused ME sessions. I have called the “closed location” telephone number provided by the Gaithersburg, MD location (**) and sent an email to closedclinicmailbox@massageenvy.com as recommended. I have received no response from anyone. This is a pathetic way to do business! Perhaps they need some more lawsuits filed against them.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

The receptionists are ambiguously rude. Like even if you say hello with a smile they don’t even say hello and just check you in. I was kind of ok with it because the therapists were nice. Today, they did a ** job on scheduling for me. I was supposed to get a session at 3:30pm and I got an email confirming the same right after I booked online. Then they confirmed an appointment at 3:15pm all of a sudden by email just a couple days ago. And yesterday, they reconfirmed the wrong schedule via text. So I replied, “I think it’s 3:30pm?” then they replied “I have you scheduled at 3:15pm.”

That was it. No attempt to investigate what happened or no regrets about this misunderstanding. Till they finally say “sorry”, I had to prove that I booked for a 3:30pm and learned how ** their system works (basically saying “it’s not our fault). Even after apologizing, they offered no solution. I asked if I can still go there by 3:30 or what. Just because they didn’t want me to have a shortened massage, I was told to cancel it.

I happened to talk to a manager on the phone. It was very frustrating to make her understand that the reaction sounded like they accused me on the wrong scheduling and tried to make an excuse and explain what happened on the system instead of expressing regrets or solving the problem here. She kept saying it’s the system and they cannot control it. And she seriously didn’t know why the reaction could offend customers. Whenever I pointed out how they could sound hostile, she declaimed “So we apologize for the inconvenience later TWICE.” or “ So we explained that we couldn’t control the issue” over and over. Do I need to know how ** their system is? I just don’t get it. Can’t they just say sorry and give me some other options? I am so sick of them.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

When I moved from California to Washington State I attempted to use membership in Washington but soon realize that this is complicated because your home clinic controls a lot of your membership and the clinic here in Washington could do little to help. I attempted to cancel membership in Bakersfield, Ca clinic and the manager of that store was very uncooperative. I contacted corporate office but have not been able to speak to anyone there. This business is shaky at best. Business practices are terrible, customer service is nonexistent. I will never use Massage Envy again! Beware!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I had a membership that I wanted to cancel. I had over 11 massages to use up within 2 months or so. I began breaking out in a rash on my back around the same time I began these massages so each week actually became stressful and I couldn’t wait to be done with them. Last week after my massage it knew I had 1 left, but specifically asked to double check. The receptionist confirmed this, so I made my last appointment. Today when I went to check out I was told I owed money. I had a whole argument because I NEVER would have come in if I didn’t have any massages left. The massage was even less than it should have, which tells me someone screws around with their system. My father also had “credits” taken out without his knowledge and lost a massage out of it. I never write reviews but this experience tonight left me so unbelievably pissed off because it was their mistake not mine. Horrible company and customer service!!!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I travel a lot around the world and getting a massage is for relaxation as well as therapeutic. I am very appreciative for my massage therapist Lacy in Murfreesboro, TN location as she is very good, professional and have great attention to detail. I have had a lot of massages and Lacy is the best... Thank you Lacy, you are awesome!!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I always believe that nothing or no one can be as terrible as others say, however, in this case I was wrong. Massage Envy is the WORST experience anyone could have. It's amazing that for a place that is supposed to provide relaxation and relief it only amplifies your stress level. Myself and my husband had a membership when the Pikesville location was open. The staff and service was really good. We are super busy and the location was perfect, less than 5 minutes from home. Unfortunately they closed and there began my hellish experience.

On September 10, 2018 I submitted as instructed 2 completed cancellation forms. I was informed it would take 10 days to process and the manager would contact me. Please note that at the time my husband had 19 unused sessions and I had 9. I was told we had to use them by December 1, 2018. After doing what I thought I needed to do I forgot about it then I noticed that every week Massage Envy was attempting to deduct payments from the credit card I had on file. I contacted the Owings Mills location (the location that memberships were transferred to) and was told the manger would return my call. That happened at least 3 times and of course the manager never called me.

On one occasion I called the Owings Mills location and was told I needed to make one month's payment to have my membership closed as it was in a suspended state, so I did. I thought that was it, I was sooo WRONG. The following week attempts were made to deduct more funds from my card. I called the location again and I was told I needed to make a payment for October, despite cancellation from September and not having used the services in months. I paid my credit card and of course Massage Envy deducted the payment.

On the Eve of Thanksgiving 2018 I contacted the Massage Envy corporate office (Theresa). This was facilitated via Capital One (my credit card company) as I was in the process of having my card blocked. We spoke at length and she was apologetic and promised to resolve the issue and call me within an hour. I forwarded the cancellations forms also. Thanksgiving came and went. Theresa never called, I sent emails and she never responded. I called her earlier last week and she feigned shock that the manager at Owings Mills hadn't called and resolved the issue. Note, this call was because I noticed that Massage Envy made additional attempts to deduct monies from my card.

As I write today it is obvious the matter has not been resolved as today, December 2, 2018, 3 months after cancellation and approximately 6 months since I last used the services of Massage Envy they have attempted to deduct monies from my card again. I am beyond furious. I have no choice but to close my credit card account as Massage Envy seeks to fraudulently make deductions from my account. My advice to anyone is do not sign a contract with Massage Envy if you must use their service do not provide any credit card info for their files as they are extremely unprofessional, exhibit poor management and customer service skills.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Massage Envy has one of the worst membership policies I have ever seen in my life. DO NOT SING a CONTRACT with them. I lived in DC for 8 months, I signed up for a 12 months contract with them while living there. All of a sudden the USAF moved me to Tacoma, WA and my lifestyle totally changed without expecting it. I called Silver Spring Massage Envy to cancel my subscription and they WOULD NOT do it. Only two reasons would allow you to do that: live more than 25 miles away from a ME or medical reasons. It is AWFUL, Now I am trapped with them for 7 months: 80 dollars a month. Even the manager showed no understanding of what an unexpected 3000 miles move means. A shame. Go to Hands and Stone, better deals, better prices, same services and they DO NOT require a contract.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I signed a contract on the basis that I could cancel, freeze or change the billing date. I tried doing that but I am getting the runaround. My husband's contract does not have a date for his contract. I was threatened to be reported to a collections agency even though I have not even been charged once. I called the assistant manager Sidney, she's the one that signed the contract, and now she keeps putting me off as well. I need to cancel both contracts due to misinformation and representation. I will reported this to the BBB as well.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

This is in reference to the Massage Envy in Alta-Arden in Sacramento, CA. I wish I could give zero stars if possible. I never had a problem with the services I received until I needed to cancel my membership. My 12 month contract had already been fulfilled so I was within our agreement of canceling with no additional fees. Canceling is not as easy as it would seem with them. I was told by the front desk that only the manager can process my cancellation and that there is a 10 day processing for a cancellation to go through. I called on a Monday and left a message. I went into the business on Tuesday and left another message for the manager. I called and left a message again on Wednesday, no return call. I ended up having to call my bank to have a stop payment completed for this business because it seemed like no one would ever cancel my membership.

I finally received a form on Thursday for canceling the membership via email, which I promptly walked in to submit personally that same day. I requested a copy of this form, which the receptionist said would take 10 days for the manager to complete (the manager was in the back office, I heard them talking. Mind you, the form only required her signature - it was not a lengthy document.

Today I received an email from the director that my request for canceling has been denied because this month's payment did not go through. This does not make sense to me that they would deny my request for canceling, even though I fulfilled my 12 month contract. There was no information given to me that there are additional fees required for cancellation even after my contract has been fulfilled. I checked the history of Massage Envy online and it seems there are multiple lawsuits and unhappy customers from various locations. They definitely engage in some shady business practices.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have been going to Massage Envy for many years. I have had good experiences with my massage therapists. I try to get the same therapist as customer service does when rescheduling, but sometimes a fluke happens and I get another massage therapist, which usually works out for me. The only complaint that I have is that they are not always good about calling to remind me about appointments, which usually results in me missing my appointment and I have to pay for the missed session. I don't think that that's a fair practice.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have been a member of Massage Envy since 2011 out of the Goodyear, AZ location. Always received topnotch service, therapists, massage, experience. Recently located to MN. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE IN MN. The locations in Burnsville, Apple Valley and Eagan are poorly run, can't get in to see therapists, locations can't keep therapists. When you call to make appt they ask if you are member or guest. Guests get 1st dibs on appts so paying members keep paying and can't get in.

Last summer when in MN I put my membership on hold because couldn't get in for over 2 months while "guests" could. This summer, since arriving in April, I've received 3 massages in 7 months because therapists move, rotate, leave, no appointments. I am paying $65/mo for a service I can't use. When expressing dissatisfaction to staff, all they are able to say is "I'm sorry." No solutions offered unless you want to wait 3 months for next available appt. But, they keep signing on new members who seem to be able to get in. HUGE difference between AZ service and MN. DONT DO IT!!! SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Member since 2/2018. Front desk decided changed my perks during membership. Pay for membership every month 9 months. Only had 2 facials. Purchased all products recommend by esthetician. That was great! Was told when purchasing membership also buy front desk as member allowed free sample of any product. During 9 months got one free sample. Since membership is paid every month, but I don’t use it. I tried to use a so called perk today since I have months and months paid I don’t use. Walked in, tried get free sample. Now this is no longer a perk for members? Can only get free sample if recommend by esthetician. This was not what I was told before. I don’t use every month but I pay every month. Now as member can’t have free sample. Very conflicting info. Also major waste of my money. No perks for me. I will not recommend and I will not renew.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

My husband and I have belonged to their membership program for over 10 years. We both had prepaid for massages. I had 6 and ask them to freeze my account as I has moved from the area and could only use them when I would be in town. I was told I had 6 months to use them and my account would be frozen till Mar of 2019: I was informed today I could not use one without unfreezing my account and having them charge me for another prepaid. I asked to have my money refunded since I had moved out of the area 3 hours away from the nearest Massage Envy. I was then told they didn’t give refunds for services not rendered. My husband finally gave up arguing and he too had prepays. What a great scam for this company. Beware of their policy.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Massage Envy Victor NY - I had an appointment 2 months ago and left work early for it. I even had a confirming phone call the day before. I showed up 15 minutes early and was told that they called and left a message but the therapist was not available. I showed them my phone and no messages or missed phone calls. I even had an email but the emails do not tell you when your appointment is and I called and talked to the manager (knew in the last 6 months) and I’ve been a member for 2 1/2 years with never a problem until this new manager started.

I schedule my appointments a rolling 3 months out for 90 minute sessions. So I called the manager and complained about the blank emails and my last appointment that was never cancelled. I told him, "Two errors and the third time you’re out." He said he would personally take care of it. So yesterday I received a phone call confirming my appointment for 2 and I said, "No. It’s at 4." The lady said, "Strange. I have you scheduled at 2 and 4 for 90 minute appointments," and she said she will cancel the two and, "I will see you tomorrow at 4."

So I get there and to no surprise I’m not down. They looked it up and saw both were cancelled. I said, "Look for my appointment in Nov 3rd at 2." Not there. I said, "I’m done here, cancel my membership." The manager then said, "Maybe it was a misunderstanding yesterday and she thought you cancelled both." I said, "No. She said I’ll see you tomorrow at 4." He said, "Sir you’re getting aggressive. Maybe we should cancel your membership," and asked me to fill out a form. Imagine, me being blamed twice as the customer and now I had to fill out a form. I asked for the owner's number and he said it is posted on the wall for Jason. I called it four times and it is a disconnected number. He assured me that he would call me and that I would not be charged. Great massages but terrible front desk under this manager.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

During my massage the male therapist kept putting his genitals on my hand or arm. And he was aroused. Then he leaned over my entire body with his body completely touching mine. I stopped the session, went out to ask for the manager. Spoke to the manager and asst and they took a written statement. They gave me a brochure about providing a safe environment yet they did not provide one. No apology, no promise to investigate further. I was called by the area manager and told my story again. Again, I don't believe anything was done. This is the Massage Envy in Webster TX.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I’m so frustrated about the service I got from them! When I call for appointment they ask for my debit card immediately which I gave because I thought I will be happy and come back for more massage service but before I end the conversation with the girl name Mimi she informed me that I will get 50% charge if the will cancel on the day of the service! I know that’s their policy. They gave me cold tea to drink while waiting even though I ask for hot tea! Gave me a guy therapist which I got shock because they don't even ask me when I set an appointment if I prefer a girl therapist!

I have no choice because I cannot come back another time to wait for a girl therapist. They ask me to log to their tablet and answer this questions what area of my concerns in my body so I choose. But the massage is just my back not the whole body which I expect. The facility is hot, dirty and not relaxing! I spend $70 for nothing including tip. Never come back and never recommended to my friends!!!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I suffer intractable tension/migraines and have been getting massage therapy over 15 yrs from dozens of therapists. KC at the Massage Envy on the Promenade in D’Iberville, MS has a medical background and is very knowledgeable in A&P. I have benefited from his expertise. The receptionists are friendly and helpful when scheduling and the facility is clean and comfortable.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I paid extra for 1 hr massage and I felt my 9 year old son was playing in back. Masseuse was untrained and I will never go back to that location as I spoke to the front desk and she did not even tried to gain my business.

Massage Envy Company Information