2.45/5

Folsom, CA

358 Massage Envy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 16, 2019

I am very disappointed in Massage Envy. Not only do I now live 60 miles from a Massage Envy, but I call to cancel my membership (mind you I have about 3 overlapping appointments I can use because I wasn’t able to a couple months). Now I paid for those 3 appointments and don’t get to use them... all because I live so far and had to cancel my membership... I spend so much money in products with them. I am very disappointed. They basically took money from me.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have been trying to redeem a complimentary add on services gift card I received. The back of the card states: “The Massage Envy complimentary card is redeemable when presented at any Massage Envy location.” However, the Shiloh IL location will not honor it. Also, since I signed up for the membership in January, I have not been able to get the same therapist at all, twice, even when trying to schedule out a couple weeks. They always say to schedule out a month. It is hard because of my job to schedule out a month, or even 2-3 weeks in advance.

The first visit in January, I was told I could use this card, but then they did the membership sales pitch and told me to keep it for any other add-ons. Which I did. Now they are telling me it is only good for the location which is on the front of the card, even though the back specifically says any location. This is very bad business. The person who gave me the complimentary card would never have bought it at a different location if I would not be able to use it at my closest location, so perhaps he was lied to also. I am currently trying to get this resolved with my location, however they are not willing to do anything except say they apologize, I cannot use it there.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2019

My experience with Massage Envy is lengthy, but they were essentially slimy in every chance they got. Icing on the cake was when I had a massage appointment that the masseuse wasn’t even in the building for, so they stuck me with a different masseuse that gave me the most painful experience I’ve ever had on a massage table. I asked for medium pressure, and didn’t request anything specific to my neck and upper back. Yet, he only worked on my neck and upper back, and he was outrageously rough.

8 months later, and I still have constant pain in those areas, and it’s all derived from that one experience. I had no neck or upper back pain prior to walking in there. Their owner evaded taking any accountability for this. I complained to their “guest solutions” group, and they also acted slimy and avoided taking any action. I don’t understand how this place is allowed to keep operating. They inflicted permanent damage on my body, and basically shrugged about it while licking their fingers to count my cash.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I was told my gift for M.E. Didn’t expire until June 2019. So I made an appointment in April and I get a call saying you have to pay full price. And I need to call the College Park store. They told me Crofton was incorrect and their computer system changed and there’s nothing they would do. Basically they took 2 1 hour credits from me that was paid for and on the certificate there’s no expiration date. Well needless to say I won’t be back. And beware getting gift certificates!

Original review: April 10, 2019

I’ve had good and bad experiences with M.E. But yesterday I had an appointment with my new therapist and I gotta tell you, she was extremely cute! Long story short we connected in a different way if you know what I mean! I loved massage and I’m sure she loved what I had for her!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Massage Envy?

Original review: April 10, 2019

I went to a Massage Envy location in Pleasant Hills. The place smelled musty. The employees were not welcoming. Their conversation was about a client. When I was waited on it seemed the one employee was still drunk or drinking. You could smell the bar. I was asking about gift cards to purchase for a friend. The employee didn’t know anything about the gift cards or promotion they were advertising in the window. I ask to speak to a manager. I was told no manager was available and to leave my number and the manager will get back to me. 4 months later and no one got back to you. I want to get 1 membership and 2 gift cards. Still no response. Message Envy is a horribly run business. The corporate office should look into this.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I tried to signed up for a membership. Was told the computer system was down and no one had a clue what to do to fix it. the management and all the employees were very unprofessional there. Most of them look on drugs. It was a very unpleasant experience. I highly recommend you DON’T to any of their locations Pleasant Hills/South Park.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I had the 3 months 3 experience membership and had one of the worst experience. Whenever I called for an appointment never was able to schedule one. I’ve called more than 15 times for appointment. So I scheduled my appointments weeks away. One was day after the membership expired and then the second one couple of days after that. During appointment schedule with the front desk person, I made it very clear about my membership. She said it is fine and they do this all the time. On the day of my appointment, just 2 hrs before I get a call from ME telling me that I cannot use my membership. Seriously!!!! This is ridiculous. Why say it is ok in the first place and let me expire my membership and they say, "Sorry. We don’t do that." This place is a scam stealing people’s money.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I was so excited to get a facial for the first time. I was told I would get an introductory rate of $55 for a facial because it was my first time. They recommended microderm and I said ok. I thought microderm was a name for a specific facial. When my session was over and I went to the receptionist to pay and she said, "Microderm is $45 additional to the $55, were you told that?" I said no. She said, "Well it’s $100." I was furious! My pores still look a mess and the service was no benefit to my skin. ME stole my money! I will never go there again.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I joined Massage Envy for a 6 month membership. They kept billing me after that period. Made many calls and sent emails to no avail. Then they closed the Massage Envy franchise near me and kept billing me! They assigned me to another franchise far away which I would never go to. It has now been 8 months since my membership ended and they just keep adding more more to what they bill. Now billing me for nearly $600! It seems my only recourse is to take legal action at this point.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I had been a member for almost a year when my "home clinic" permanently closed without notifying its members or providing any options. It took me a month to track down my membership at a different, completely inconvenient, location. Even then, I was calling/emailing in attempts to cancel my membership but they continued to charge me for months. I was referred to 5 different "managers," over 3 months and finally told that they will not reimburse me for the months they charged my card after the clinic CLOSED while I was hunting down my own membership and trying to find someone to talk to that could help me. They literally ripped me off.

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Their response to that was, "we don't answer to the BBB, we answer to ourselves." I also have unused services that I will likely have to eat as well. It's hundreds of dollars down the drain. This was the one thing I wanted to do for myself as I'm a single mom while my husband has been deployed for 2 1/2 years. It's disappointing and the money lost is a huge hit to our family. Stay away from this corrupt company.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I had a membership at the Greenfield Wi location, but cancelled since I could not make regular appointments and because they could not provide services for time slots I needed... even if booking out several months. After canceling, I had a a certain amount of time to use unused credits. They could not provide any services for over 6 weeks on any day, and they also closed for two weeks for remodeling. This put my use-credits-by date beyond the end date which they blamed me for missing (customer is always wrong policy). They wouldn’t extend the date or refund the money I paid so essentially stole $210 from me! I highly recommend not getting a membership with ME. If you want a massage, pay per session and avoid the shady commitment policy! Ken.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Ok, I got a membership some years ago when the price point was more affordable than your normal place. Your therapist was fresh out of massage school or close to and did ok work. I had 2-3 good therapists over the last few years who gave an excellent massage, but they were undervalued by their respective locations. Then the prices went up, and I didn't mind at the time, I still had a good therapist, so ok. Well that all changed when I moved pretty far away from the nearest M.E.

I kept Auto Paying, hoping to use them again, and saving them for when I was close by one. And I moved again, and I decided to CANCEL my membership. Apparently that's easier said than done. If you cancel, you have 3 months or so to use up your massages or you lose them, or you can pay a lower fee to freeze the account just enough to save those, but not accumulate more. Ok, sounds good. I tried it. Didn't like it. So I said close the account. Well, they didn't close it, so I told the credit card to stop payment. Well, they decided I owed them money anyways, even though I had 8 paid massages ($500+) on the books, that I was going to lose. They tried billing me, sent me 8 letters in the mail, all within the same week, then sent my account to COLLECTIONS for a technically "SUBSCRIPTION" service in the amount of $190. It said that "MASSAGE ENVY" is a "CREDITOR". Bottom Line, Spend more money at a better Massage Spa.

Original review: March 10, 2019

Well I can't tell you how their services are because even though I called 2 weeks in advance to schedule my couples massage as a surprise for my husband they called us on our way there and cancelled our appointment because a therapist called in to work. What kind of massage therapy business cancels within 30 min of your appointment? My husband does a lot of physical work and has pain in his neck that I really wanted him to get relief for. I could have booked somewhere else and been able to have a good relaxing date night. If you're a parent like us don’t book a babysitter until 15 min before you're supposed to leave the house in case they cancel you. Guess that's what I get for trying to go to a corporate chain massage place. I'll stick with the locals I'm used to...

Original review: March 6, 2019

Updated on 03/08/2019: It’s been 4 days since I went to an appt (3/05/2019) at Massage Envy in Springfield, and the male manager did my service. I’m still in pain. He injured my neck, it hurts on a scale of 7 every time I move it. He pressed very very hard down on my spine across the area where I had surgery in 2012. Then over the area I have a pacemaker. I thought for sure he could feel it, since it is noticeable but I guess he just didn’t pay any attention to it. I’m 73, I don’t need these pains. My legs and hip hurt from where he squeezed/pressed too hard, and my feet he just pressed in with fingers not with fist or palm of his hand. The pain was noticeable to him because I verbally and physically acknowledged pain at the time. He didn’t ease up. The only thing this visit was good for is if you wanted to be punished for being alive. I’d like to know how to go about making an official complaint against him and his lic.

Original Review: To start I called and made an appt for the $34. 1 hour they have posted in the front window. When I arrived, I’m guessing he is the manager since he was telling others what to do. I haven’t a clue where he might have gotten certified as a massage therapist. There wasn’t any rhythm or pattern to his method, there was no constant touch. He would start on a shoulder then go to the opposite leg, all over, just no sequence. No gentle starting in an area just extremely harsh. Even right on the spine which I know they don’t do. I hurt worse today than I did before going there. Then it came time to pay. Well I was charged $39. Instead of $34. Then I put a tip. I won’t be returning to that place even with a free gift certificate.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I seem to have had the same experience as many others after reading reviews, although my situation was somewhat different. Bought a membership and after 6 months decided to cancel it. No problem I was too! Several months later I realized they deducted the monthly membership fee again. Stopped at Massage Envy, they said the correct paperwork had not been done to cancel membership. I then filled out the correct paperwork. The employee at the front desk told me they would have to have Manager approve the refund of the monthly fee they took in December or I could just use the remaining time by the end of March. I choose to hold onto the time and called yesterday to schedule an appointment.

I was told that due to a new Computer System that the Corporate Headquarters installed all outstanding time was erased. I could not get a refund or schedule an appointment without paying more. The employee stated several times they were not happy but all they could do was tell people to call the Corporate Office. I have left a voicemail and email at Corporate Headquarters with no response. I also asked the employee to have the Manager of the location I use to call me, I also have not heard from the Manager! I don’t feel this is acceptable for any legitimate - successful corporation.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I signed up for monthly massages. My first one was bad. The guy used so much pressure. I was more sore than when I started. 2nd one I requested someone else and it was so, so. Same with the next 2. Then in January I was scheduled and there was a snowstorm. I called to reschedule and they said, "Sorry, you're calling past the 24-hr time limit and you'll be charged anyway." I was stunned. They wanted me to drive in a storm where schools and businesses were closing, for a massage!

I initiated a complaint and said, "That's it, I am done, cancel my account". After much time and effort I was finally called back. They still don't want to let me out of a 1 year contract and charged me an extra $20 for the day I wouldn't drive in. So now that's $80 in January and they just charged my card another $60. In a phone call on February 4th, they said they would reduce my membership to 6 mos and credit me for the 1st massage and the one from the snowstorm. Guess that never happened. All lies! Now I'm having to fight them through my credit card company and Attorney General's office. So much time and effort wasted.

Original review: March 3, 2019

They put a chemical peel on you and tell you that you may or may not see a difference. I came back a second time and finally had this lady say, "You might have to come back 5 times to see a difference." She said the product they are using is light and you might not see any peeling at all. This company won’t allow you to get a microdermabrasion before the peel, but only because they are **. Any and every other place will. This chemical peel will set you back 80 dollars every time you do it, and they will say you also need to do regular facials between each treatment to get results. Which means I could just exfoliate my own skin. These people ripped me off twice. I hope to God this review helps even one person from wasting their time and hard earned cash.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Buyer beware! Never sign a contract with this company. There is no way to track your prepaids and they purposely omit information about their self-serving policies. There is absolutely nothing written in their policies to benefit the member. I had over 20 prepaids remaining in my account. My account was set to expire soon so I was going to pay the ridiculous $10 gift card price so I can use them later this year. But all of a sudden, they only do gift cards in the month of December.

Although think this is a horrible way to do business, I’m glad. I don’t want to give this unethical company another penny of my money. So, I was forced to walk away with all those prepaids on the books. I hope they sleep well at night while scamming unsuspecting customers out of their hard-earned money. If I could give a negative star it would still be overrated. I wish I had three hands so I could give them 3 thumbs down.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

One massage monthly sounded like a great idea! $65 a month for an hour massage is not a "deal" for signing a contract of 14 months. You can only cancel by going into a store. Much like gym memberships - so they can try to convince you to stay and threaten fines for canceling. Their website's a joke. For $65 a month I can login, schedule an appointment and log out. No billing options. No way to keep track of how many sessions you have. Extremely inconvenient. No customer service contact besides each location directly. But I don't want to complain about the location - they were wonderful - I want to speak to Massage Envy as a whole! Nope. Impossible. I will be looking forward to saving $65 a month as soon as my membership terms in April. Oh and don't forget to write your formal termination letter 1 month before your last day OR ELSE!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Once you sign up for a monthly massage, you soon find out there are seldom any times open that fit into your schedule. If you never needed to work, you might have a better chance to get in, but otherwise, they might have one or two times that fit in a six week window. The other option is to drive all over town to get an appointment. I plan to cancel. It's too much work.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I am writing this to express my true displeasure for Massage Envy (EM) business practices. Not only do I feel I was not getting what I paid for with a monthly fee, getting out of the contract after more than a year has proved beyond belief. I requested in writing and verbally to end my contract, which I had every right to do so. However, ME pressured me to sign a release before they would end my contract. I refused to sign and have since been pressured to "bring my balance current" before "talking about closing the account". As a result, I have been forced to put a stop payment to ME as they refuse to recognize my request without signing documents absolving them of all liabilities.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I woke up with a migraine and stiff muscles on a Saturday. I know that my headaches are due to muscle issues stemming from a neck surgery I had last year so I searched for a massage place open on Sundays. I figured if I woke up Sunday and felt better, I would cancel. I found Massage Envy's website and they had an opening on Sunday. I scheduled online and noticed that my total would be $90 even though their website said a 60 minute massage was $50. I called the office and the receptionist said that "The system doesn't recognize you and it was a lie - I would only be charged $50."

I woke up Sunday feeling a bit better so I went to cancel online. I found I couldn't adjust appointments online so I called and left a message saying I would like to reschedule for a different day. I got a returned phone call and they left a message saying that although I have not been given the information yet, there is a 50% reschedule/cancellation fee and a 100% no show fee. First of all, if this is a rule, this should be clearly stated as you are scheduling your appointment. They should also state the "rules" of membership up front as well. Running a business based on lies and deceit is shameful. Tricking people into a "membership" is ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I was concerned about the cleanliness of the massage rooms. I walked in and the front Desk Associates didn’t even show me to the waiting room. They seemed only concerned about getting me into the waiting room and I received no personal attention after that. The massage was good but not worth the price. I have had a much better experience at other massage places and felt like I received my money’s worth.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I would advise, if you do not go monthly on a consistent basis, not to sign up for membership. I have been a customer for years and have 20+ massages on the book. I decided that I did not want to continue my membership and use the session I have ALREADY paid for. Well, if you don’t give them an active card, they block the sessions and you cannot use them until you give them an active card. How can you block me from using something I have already purchased? Oh yea, they will do you a favor and give you 6 months off...a joke. I will be contacting the corporate office. Don’t do it; it’s a ripoff!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I have been very pleased with my Massage Envy experience, and, from reading these reviews, can only surmise that it is because of the manager at the Burke, Virginia store. I bought a membership for myself and my daughter. Mine is $10 more a month, they give you a discount for the second. I have had these memberships nearly 10 years. I had to have surgery, etc., so I missed a ton of monthly massages. Since they allow you to bank them, I wasn't too concerned, but finally went in to redeem them, and since I had so many to redeem, I wanted to turn a lot of them into guest massages and give as gifts. My daughter was in grad school at the time, and I wanted to gift to her classmates, as well as family members. So I told her to ask who wanted them, and I would need their names and addresses. She did so, and got about 10 people who wanted a free massage. I also included my family members.

Because I had so many massages left, the Burke, VA manager not only allowed me to redeem all these massages at once, she also allowed me to give each person TWO Free massages! And she waived the $10 fee per guest. The store filled out the gift card for each person (it is a paper card, similar to a postcard) and wrote TWO Massages or something informative like that at the top, also with the person's name. People have had no trouble redeeming them, and these kids live all over the country now.

It is difficult to get an appointment unless you go 2 weeks out. I gave 4 stars because this is annoying. It is also annoying because the people they employ at the desk to schedule appointments seem to be somewhat unaware of what's going on when you call. I prefer to make my appts online. They opened a new Massage Envy much closer to me, and I have had No Problem switching between the stores for my appointments. As far as my appointments go, I have had massages, stretch, hot stone and facials. I like a fairly firm/hard massage, and the therapists are very accommodating with this. They always ask if it is hard enough, if I want something different, if I have areas they should work on more, etc. I have not had any issues in this area.

I would not recommend the stretch if you had recent surgery. I thought I would be ok since my surgery was 4 months ago, but it is still too soon, and it was painful and of course stretching me, which I am still having issues with. The hot stone is fantastic. The facials are too, and I look so great for the week I get them. Anyway, there seem to be a lot of negative reviews on this site, so I thought I'd share my experience. I will let you know if I try to cancel and how that goes, because that seems to be the major issue on this site. But in my experience, so far, so good.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I would like to question the cancellation charge policy of Massage Envy: I have been a monthly paying member of massage envy for years. I cancelled my appointment one time as there was a personal emergency that I could not avoid. I was charged Cancellation Fees! However, however- check out the double standards on how they handle clients. I have been canceled twice by their therapists the same day, actually within couple of hours of appointment. No follow up call asking to reschedule. No credits or favors for messing up my schedule. Yes, I am a very busy working professional where my time is as precious as their therapists. Just the way I am charged for cancellation, should I not be charging them???

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I bought a gift card to Massage Envy at the Sandy, UT store for my wife. I was told for an hour massage it was $50 so I loaded $50 dollars on the gift card. When she went to use it she was told it would be another $25. I called the store very next day to speak with the manager however the manager was not in so I left a message for the manager to call me back. A week later a no call so I called back. Manager was not in. I was told the manager called me back and refunded the $25 which was a lie because I did check with my bank. This went on for a month. I finally was able to can a hold of the manager and she refunded the $25 after I threw a fit. I also cancel my membership. I will never go back there again.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I was very hesitant to sign up because I don't get massages enough to use it and have had bad experienced before whenever doing memberships and wanting to cancel. They assured me I could cancel whenever I want and that I would not even have to go to the store to do so which I explained to them that is the only way I will sign up because I do not want to go through a hassle just to cancel. SO of course I signed up when they promised me all of that. Couple months later I decided to gift one of my sessions because they the girls that signed me up told me I could do that if I don't use it. Then I find out I will be charged $10 for gifting it which I thought was pretty dumb since they said I could gift the sessions I don't use and never informed me I would have to pay for that when I signed up.

I decided to call in and cancel my membership and the lady tells me I have to come in to do so. Now that really surprised me since I was promised I would not have to. I went in on a Saturday 1/05/2019 filled out a forum to request a cancellation and was advised I'd be contacted in 48 hours by manager. I did get contacted until Friday in which she told me I cannot cancel to September. That's 8 months from now! What a joke! I will be contacting corporate.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My brother-in-law who is a member, sent me a free massage point about 6 months ago. I call in and they told me my point was good to go and my appointment had been scheduled. I go in to get the massage and after they tell me the point I had was invalid. My brother-in-law cancelled his account about two months earlier and since he did that the point I had in my account was invalid.

My brother-in-law paid for that point and paid the 10 dollar transfer to me as a birthday gift. I had no idea he had canceled his account and that it would have an effect on the point I had. The price of the massage was 100 bucks! That is insane! No sane person would pay that for a dump like Massage Envy. They were very rude about the situation and gave me no solution to fix it. The staff refused to let me talk to a manager. I'm never going to Massage Envy ever again and my sister who also had an account there will be cancelling her account too. This is the Massage Envy in Anaheim Hills, CA

Massage Envy Company Information