2. Miscellaneous

Folsom, CA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.23/5

Massage Envy Reviews

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

My wife bought me a gift card about a year ago and I have scheduled 1-2 massages each month. The staff and therapists are always friendly and professional. About a month ago I started thinking about cancelling my membership. Don’t get me wrong, the massages are always good~ just not fantastic! I decided to try one more therapist (Lori L) and I am now a believer! She is professional and knows what she is doing and enjoys her job! The massages have really helped my chronic neck pain and overall health!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

Before massage begins you get a few minutes to relax in a comfortable chairs. I've tried two masseuses and settled on the one that best suited my needs. My masseuse Maria at Coconut Creek Fl location is perfect. Wherever your aches and pains are she will find them. Excellent knowledge on the different muscles. I prefer the deep massage because I lift weights and walk many miles as part of staying health. Most of the time I have muscle pains and the massage helps to alleviate them. Also she massages my head which feels incredible. The atmosphere is very comfortable and relaxing. Clean and massage table comfortable. Maria checks frequently with me to make sure her pressure is not causing pain. I do have a massage once a month and love it. I now incorporate it in my fitness program. It affordable and you can earn points toward future cost when you set your next appointment. You can also schedule your appointments via internet. Webpage is easy to navigate.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I’ve had good and bad experiences with M.E. But yesterday I had an appointment with my new therapist and I gotta tell you, she was extremely cute! Long story short we connected in a different way if you know what I mean! I loved massage and I’m sure she loved what I had for her!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I have been very pleased with my Massage Envy experience, and, from reading these reviews, can only surmise that it is because of the manager at the Burke, Virginia store. I bought a membership for myself and my daughter. Mine is $10 more a month, they give you a discount for the second. I have had these memberships nearly 10 years. I had to have surgery, etc., so I missed a ton of monthly massages. Since they allow you to bank them, I wasn't too concerned, but finally went in to redeem them, and since I had so many to redeem, I wanted to turn a lot of them into guest massages and give as gifts. My daughter was in grad school at the time, and I wanted to gift to her classmates, as well as family members. So I told her to ask who wanted them, and I would need their names and addresses. She did so, and got about 10 people who wanted a free massage. I also included my family members.

Because I had so many massages left, the Burke, VA manager not only allowed me to redeem all these massages at once, she also allowed me to give each person TWO Free massages! And she waived the $10 fee per guest. The store filled out the gift card for each person (it is a paper card, similar to a postcard) and wrote TWO Massages or something informative like that at the top, also with the person's name. People have had no trouble redeeming them, and these kids live all over the country now.

It is difficult to get an appointment unless you go 2 weeks out. I gave 4 stars because this is annoying. It is also annoying because the people they employ at the desk to schedule appointments seem to be somewhat unaware of what's going on when you call. I prefer to make my appts online. They opened a new Massage Envy much closer to me, and I have had No Problem switching between the stores for my appointments. As far as my appointments go, I have had massages, stretch, hot stone and facials. I like a fairly firm/hard massage, and the therapists are very accommodating with this. They always ask if it is hard enough, if I want something different, if I have areas they should work on more, etc. I have not had any issues in this area.

I would not recommend the stretch if you had recent surgery. I thought I would be ok since my surgery was 4 months ago, but it is still too soon, and it was painful and of course stretching me, which I am still having issues with. The hot stone is fantastic. The facials are too, and I look so great for the week I get them. Anyway, there seem to be a lot of negative reviews on this site, so I thought I'd share my experience. I will let you know if I try to cancel and how that goes, because that seems to be the major issue on this site. But in my experience, so far, so good.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

It would be nice to get a lower back message. The therapists are so restricted of how to cover and maneuver so not make people uncomfortable, that it takes more time doing that than do the job. It's a massage. Lower back is most people's issues if they do physical work. Put a camera in the room if needed...not like we're laying there nude.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Massage Envy?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Hi Everyone! My sister bought me a year membership, in full for Christmas 2018. Since she bought the membership they wanted my credit card to keep on file. They started charging my card in April for what I thought was for extra services, but ended up being for monthly membership (which was already paid for in full). Now they refuse to refund me my money...but out of the kindness of their greedy little hearts will extend my membership so I can use my twice paid for service. I don't want anything to do with these people or their services. I intend to see if I can give my services to other people....we'll see just how greedy this company is....

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Thank goodness I looked at my statement. I was charged on two separate dates (meaning it was not a random mistake) for services and products I did not receive. The franchise I dealt with was slow to act and refund me. The bookkeeper informed me that the employee who charged me has since left. What does that mean? Was she fired for doing this to other clients? I'm very disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I live in Massachusetts but am spending 8 weeks in Florida taking a class at a training facility. My friend from Massachusetts purchased me a Massage Envy gift card as a going away present to use while I’m here in Palm Coast, Florida. When she purchased the gift card, they had her set up an account for me (not a membership) with my name and phone number. The amount on the gift card was for the price of one couple's massage for my husband and I plus gratuity. I made my appointment, we had a nice massage, and at check out I was told the gift card balance was only 17 dollars. What? I was confused. They then told me they could see on their system that I had used part of it in California and part of it in Wisconsin. I said I haven’t been to either of those places, and I had never even heard of or stepped foot in a Massage Envy until today. They said “I’m sure there’s a mix up, don’t worry, we’ll figure this out and give you a call.”

Well, my credit card (that they had taken to have on file when I made the appointment in case of cancellation) was charged $103 dollars, and they did call me. I asked what was going on. They said “think of this from our perspective- you purchased the gift card in Massachusetts, you used it in California, you used it in Wisconsin and now you’re in Florida- it seems you’ve been traveling, what else are we supposed to think?” I said, “No, I have not been traveling. could it be possible that someone with a similar name as me went into the Massage Envy in those other states, said their name, and the employee mistakenly pulled up my account instead of theirs, told the customer they had gift credit, and applied my gift card to their services?” They admitted that was probably what happened, but said I should call my friend who purchased the gift card to find out what had happened.

How would she know what happened?! Plus, why should I have to embarrass my friend because of your mistake?? Then I was told my only other option was to call corporate. I left a message there but I’m not hopeful I’ll hear back or get a refund. I opened a dispute with my credit card company to retrieve the funds, and canceled the card Massage Envy had on file so they won’t charge someone else’s services to my account, if that’s even what really happened. I’m thinking it might just be a total scam to get paid double, because it’s strange they would require the gift card purchaser to have to set up an account for the recipient. That enabled them to claim someone had used my account before I was able to use the gift card. Terrible. No accountability or apology, and so irresponsible. I asked why they don’t verify who people are before pulling up their account, they said “we have no way to do that” haha.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I started getting massages over a year ago. I signed up with a monthly billable “you can cancel anytime” membership. When I realized the massage was aggravating my hip, and it was taking over a month in advance to schedule, I cancelled. They continued to charge my credit card every month. I finally disputed the charges with my bank and was promised it would not happen again! It did!

I disputed the charges 3 times AND cancelled my card. However, they were able to get my new card number from MC as a recurring charge. Maddening!! I called ME again and they stated I had an annual membership now (not sure how that happened all of a sudden). Now they call me every month and are rude and threatening. The most recent call, the woman said “well, we’ll just keep calling you until you update your credit card.” How can any company do business like this It’s ridiculous! DO NOT sign up, you’ll never be able to cancel...Ever! If you see a Massage Envy sign, my advice is simply “RUN.”

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I have recently ended my membership of about 5 years with Massage Envy. I stayed because I liked the massage therapist. The management has not been good at the LODO downtown location for years and this includes the current manager who is new. I had 5-6 appointments canceled over the last few years there. 2 of these in the last several months. Several appointments were canceled without any notice to me. I would call to confirm and someone had canceled the appointment. The management did not make it right with me. I did like the location that I signed up with off of Arapahoe and Parker road but did not find a therapist I really liked there. I have written emails to Massage Envy corporate with NO response about all of the canceled appointments.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Massage Envy Company Information