Folsom, CA

3.8/5 (666 ratings)

About Massage Envy

Massage Envy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Massage Envy?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2023

I have never been more frustrated and angered by a company!!!! I had been a customer at Massage Envy in Plymouth MN for over 15 years. Despite the constant revolving door and occasional waste of money with a less than useful massage, my challenge has been with misinformation given by the desk staff about making or cancelling appointments and when the concern was brought to the Mgr's attention, she was more than happy to simply shrug her shoulders and keep my money. Not willing at all to support the customer, but instead just said "There is nothing I can do, you can talk with corporate". I assure you I tried and wish you the best of luck in getting a hold of anyone... you submit something online and NEVER hear back!!! I truly DESPISE this company and their lack of customer support! And the massages are certainly hit or miss as well so good luck there.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2023

I’m a member of ME for few years, and finally I found a perfect esthetician for myself, Yelena O. She is very knowledgeable, always great advices, very pleasant and very professional, So happy I’ve found her!

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2023

I had a membership to Massage Envy. I tried numerous times to get in and get appointments for many hours I had paid for on my membership. I could never get in for an appointment, and it would be months out for me to get 1 appointment. I then tried to set an appointment knowing I had about 5-6 hours on my account. My account said there was 0 hours remaining in my membership. I was then informed by the front desk that the hours I already paid for, were expired. How can hours I paid my money for expire without any notice or without me being able to use them. Very unprofessional and they would not do anything for me to help me out in this situation.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

Worst customer service EVER! I have over 31 credits built up due to ME not having enough staff or canceling my appointments. I asked if I could freeze my account and they said yes but during the freeze you can't use any of your credits. What's the point? If I cancel, I only have 72 days to use my 31 credits. If I haven't been able to use these credits due to loss or low staffing in the last two years, how do you expect that I'm going to use 31 credits in 72 days? What a HUGE SCAM!!! I'm so angry with this company. They said go online and book...HOW? There are no appointments available for the next three months.

And to make it worse, I had two appointments canceled today. Not everyone can drop everything and go at 2pm on a Wednesday and when you do, they cancel your appointment. If anyone has any legal advice about what can be done to make this right, I'd love to hear it. Right now telling me I have less than three months to use 31 credits is not making it right for the customer. I would rate ME negative stars if I could but they make you select at least one star in order for this to post.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

Why can't members see a tally of hours used and not used? We have been members since 2009 and we had several accrued hours due to my husband having cancer treatments in 2010 and 2018 and then add in COVID. We had to depend on the their office to keep us informed of the unused hours. To freeze or give a massage to relatives was not a user friendly option. In November 2022 two different locations and two different employees told us we had 19 hours each but it looked like our membership was canceled because this time was just sitting out there.

I called and their HR contacted me asking for the employee names and I did not give them this information so they could retaliate with the employee. Still they could not send me records going back further than 2019 and we canceled our membership. Every business should keep five years if not more when you are using a membership and being charged monthly. Yes we had several cancellations from their employees not able to come in and we were told we were not charged for these but really who knows!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2023

I received a gift card for Christmas last year (2022) for a free one-hour massage at Massage Envy (Mt. Lebanon) with a dollar value of $65. They were running an intro special at that time for that price. I called right after Christmas to make an appointment and found that the earliest weekend appointment was in March and if I could do it during the week (day or evening) – they had a few openings starting in Feb. Because of my job – I cannot plan that far in advance but was told to wait until after the Christmas rush was over – they would have more openings. That was not the case.

I tried a few times to make an appointment when I had a few specific days off during the summer but was unable to find a date. I was finally able to make an appointment in advance for 11/23/22 (the day before Thanksgiving) because I knew I was off. I made this appointment the first week in October but was told that the $65 was no longer valid for an hour massage – that I need to pay $120. I agreed but after more discussions – they agreed to an additional $10 plus tip. I was called on 11/22 (the day before my appt.) and told that I had to give a credit card to keep my appointment. If I failed to show up – or give 24 hours’ notice – they will charge you the full amount. This was less than 24 hours but it didn’t matter because I was not going to miss it.

On 11/23/22 – the day of my appointment – they called and cancelled on me. Given my schedule and their availability – we couldn’t find another appointment that would work at that time so I asked to speak with the manager – Charlotte – to ask for a refund – but only to find out again that they are unable to refund gift cards. I found this hard to believe because they were about to charge me $120 if I didn’t show up or cancelled. Charlotte informed me that she’d speak with the regional manager Michelle to see about a refund. It was the holidays – so she said it wouldn’t be until the following week. I never received a call.

I then called and spoke with many folks over the next few weeks until I finally received a call back regarding the refund. Again – I was told there were no refunds for gift cards, but they offered me a 90 minute massage for the same $75 (Gift card + $10 cash) if I could come in the week before Christmas. I agreed and made arrangements to be there on Thursday 12/22. I was called on Wednesday that they needed to cancel that appointment again after they had called to tell me I’d owe $120 if I cancelled.

I asked again for a refund but was told that I needed to speak with Charlotte or Michelle. I have called a couple of times and was told that I'd hear back from Charlotte or Michelle but again – no one called. In fact – I have never received or spoken with Michelle ever. I was just called today – 1/9/23 and told that even with all that happened – they are unable to give me a refund. How can a company sell gift cards for massage that aren’t available. They have so few appointments available that unless your retired, don’t work or have an extremely flexible schedule – are useless.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

I went in with the intention of using a couple gift cards I had/get a feel for the facility. Therapist was great, no complaints there. I declared when I made the appointment that my wife and I were intending to use gift cards. After our appointment, I was told by those working the desk the card was expired/it had to be used at the location it was issued. 1) There are ZERO expiration dates on the card. 2) How would I know where the card was issued? There is no specific location on it. 3) Would have been great to get into all this BEFORE the service was rendered since I declared I wanted to use the cards to begin with. All the manager offered was a 'sorry about that, if you want I can send a note to the company' which does very little about the $140 I didn't intend on spending. There's more:

- My wife's therapist asked her if she wanted aromatherapy and failed to inform her that was an extra $10 (pretty sure the whole bottle is less than that).

- When I asked to remove my account w/ my credit card from their database all I got was 'you'll have to contact customer service... we can't do that here.' PS, there isn't a customer service line for Massage Envy. Shocker, they don't really want to talk to anyone.

Advice: Find someone who does this privately. The communication will be a whole lot better and you'll likely get a more customized experience anyhow (perhaps in your own home!) See the attached photos of the gift cards that have no location or expiration date on them. Bad communication from the company, little to no action of remedy.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2023

Prior owners were great and this was THE place to go. I absolutely love my massage therapist and have been seeing her for around FOUR years. I've maintained my memberships even with the frustration of seeing new member perks but nothing for loyal clients. The new owners have completely destroyed the prior business model and it's no longer worth my time if there is no loyalty to long standing clients. I've always been prebooked out for a year to maintain my time slot twice a month for 2 hrs each. I have a muscular condition and without it, my body will pay and lock up. So imagine my surprise when my day came only to be told I'm not booked. I'm not booked??!! When did this happen?

Apparently they changed their booking policy and failed to inform me and failed to reach out to their loyal customers to retain their normal time slots. My therapist is highly sought and books up fast. I'm left with a two month gap before I can get back in at reduced time slot which will put my body into a flare up. Taylor had no sympathy or care and was rather rude about it. Not only do you have to pay extra to add an essential oil that is literally a few drops to their lotion which you are not allowed to reuse if it's not used during your visit but based on their advertising you think you're buying the bottle, not a few drops and this charge is on top of what you're already paying for, something other massage places incorporate into their services.

On top of that the price nearly doubled and they will not grandfather in prior agreed contracts so all contracts were ended and prices increased. This is just unethical to me and no way to treat loyal long standing customers. I am now seeking a new place for my business. I will see my favorite therapist when able, but will no longer spend the thousands of dollars at a business that cares for profits over people. Look elsewhere where you can get the same pricing, better service from the business, and included perks that Massage Envy only gives to new customers.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2022

Very poorly designed website, buying egift cards is a joke, we tried 5 different credit cards and double checked the info and always got an error. "Our system requires more information to process your order." There is no option for more info. It's a loop and worthless, obvious bad website design, not like a professional "Strip" credit card processing, they may be collecting your card info to bill you without permission as many reviews shown on the web.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

Be very careful with this place. They never stop billing you. I called. Went in person and I had to close my CC because not even a block to the card did work. This was after my 1st year of contract where you are supposed to cancel at any time. DO Not pay their membership. Is not worthy. They Also offer a service that depends on who is doing the service. I only had facials and they spent the hour they tell you with you.

Massage Envy Company Information