2. Miscellaneous

Folsom, CA

3.6/5 (245 ratings)

About Massage Envy

Massage Envy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Massage Envy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Massage Envy?

Original review: July 20, 2021

This is the worst company ever with the worst customer service. I called a week before and made arrangements to pay with my membership and my cc on file for a 1hr session for my sister and a 1hr session for her friend. They confirmed everything was taken care of. When my sister and her friend were done with their massage session they both got charged for it. I had to take time out of my busy day to go personally and take care of the reimbursement and correct charges into my account. Now I am trying to cancel my membership and they give me the excuse that I have to finish paying an entire year to cancel the membership. I'm gonna end up canceling my cc so they won’t take any more money. If you do use this company, DON’T EVER sign up for their monthly program. Complete rip off.

Original review: July 14, 2021

This is the worst company ever with the worst customer service. I’ve tried cancelling for TWO MONTHS and it’s been excuse after excuse of why they can’t, then admitted to me they lost my paperwork. They said repeatedly that the manager was out and couldn’t do it. I ended up canceling my debit card so they wouldn’t take anymore money. If you do use this company, DON’T EVER sign up for their monthly program. Complete rip off

Original review: July 3, 2021

Can't cancel once you buy: if you accrued massage credits, you will lose them all unless used within 45 days. If you did accrue, esp through covid, how the hell are you going to use it? You have to pay $20/mo to freeze your account so that it stops accruing. WHAT?!?? And now I booked an appointment after 1.5 yrs and I get to wear a useless mask lying face down even though it's all open now. Fully vaccinated, looking to use the money I already spent otherwise would have come. Give me back my money and stop ripping off people.

Original review: June 21, 2021

Summer, 2020: I left a phone message asking my account be temporarily suspended due to Covid. They continued to charge my card monthly. I spoke to a manager. I was told massage credits accrue so I can use them when I was comfortable returning. I was okay with that. I stopped paying the monthly fee because I wanted to use up my many credits before starting payments again. 6/19 (1:14pm): Ready to use my credits. But, in a phone call, I was told two things:

1) My account is frozen.
2) I have to pay to reinstate my account and use my accrued credits.

2) I have to pay $10 to use each of those credits - credits I've already paid for.

I was never told about any additional charges. When I asked why the extra charge, I received two responses:

1) "the cost of staffing"

2) "I'm not really sure."

I requested a manager call me. I was told that would happen today, 6/21. 6/21: No call received (yet). I called, no answer. I left a message reminding them of the expected call from a manager. I received no call back.

Original review: May 23, 2021

I would not recommend this place to anyone. We have found Ourselves several times having to book 6 to 8 weeks out which is ridiculous. And then on several occasions our appointment times were totally wrong and would not have both of us booked. Would only have 1. Today case and point we were both supposed to have massages. My boyfriend was the only 1 that was in the books so they tried to offer me a facial which I accepted however after waiting in the waiting Room for 25 minutes for my clinician to show up I walked out. Do not go to Massage Envy.

Original review: March 25, 2021

My mother has paid a lot of money for massage points including for her children and we all feel that this whole business is a scam. She has been told by different employees that she must keep paying to use her already paid for points. There is a "freeze" option but Massage Envy is telling her she can't use the points during the freeze but that she will still be charged $10 for "Maintenance" and it's only for a 6 month period after which they keep charging full price. How could anyone, in good conscience treat a long time paying member by essentially scamming them and stealing their money? They never explained to her that this was how they handle the accounts. This situation needs to be addressed and corrected immediately if this is a respectable business at all as every location claims it to be. However, it is impossible to get any help so I recommend not even starting a membership with this entity.

Original review: March 5, 2021

You want to freeze your account? - We need 10 days notice. - Oh yeah, and your phone call wasn't enough. You need to put it in writing. You want to give your hours to someone else? - That will be a $20 transfer fee and you can only gift 1 hour to the same person every 6 months. You were charged while we were closed due to COVID? - Too bad. You should have told us not to charge you. You have ** unused hours on your account and your charge didn't go through this month? - Sorry your account is suspended. If you don't pay us more money, you can't ever come back. AND we'll send you to a collection agency.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Firstly I was surprised with a first visit to Massage Envy for a Valentine’s Day gift. To say the least I was very disappointed and I will never go back there. I was running a few minutes behind so I called the front desk and every single time I called the receptionist answered by saying, "Massage Envy. Please hold" and had me on hold for minutes. Hung up. Call back again and she did the same thing all over again. I got tired of waiting because by then I had arrived. So I let her know that I was checking in. They had me to do paperwork. She didn’t make me aware that my hour message would be over at 12:20 pm and proceeded to check me in.

So I finally get to the back and the masseuse tells me, "Your appointment will be over in 25 mins" and I said to him, "I would like the full hour so if I need to reschedule I will." I told him that I had called several times and each time I was on hold because I wanted to call to make sure there would be no issue but I couldn’t get help from the receptionist if I paid her. He walked me to the front and told her she only has 25 mins left on her session he and to reschedule. I explain to him that I called prior to for this reason because I don’t know the policy. Not to mention there’s a sign on the front door that says to call to check in and someone will let you know when to enter the building. Obviously not true when the receptionist just continues to put you on hold.

I called over and over to make sure that there was not going to be any issues but I could not get a response from the receptionist because she continued to put me on hold. I explained the very same thing to the receptionist and she doesn’t apologize or displays any empathy but said, "I’m gonna have to charge you 50% for the appointment." I said to her, "I called you several times to make sure that there was not going to be any issues. You kept answering the phone and you kept putting me on hold for minutes and now you wanna charge me for something that could’ve been avoided and not to mention I’ve driven all the way here when this could’ve been avoided before I even got here." There was no apology. There was nothing and charge me half price for a massage I did not get.

So I will never ever ever do business with massage envy again. The receptionist lacks customer service and any type of empathy. Not to mention she had me waiting another 10 minutes to charge my card. No sorry for the wait. No "I apologize for not getting back to you when you called." I mean nothing. Ironically enough while I’m still waiting she was able to answer the phone then and assist right away but I got no assistance. It was just a horrible experience. Customer service does not exist here.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I have accrued 10 massage credits because with so many COVID restrictions I haven’t been able to use the service. I decided to cancel and was told I have 60 days to use the 10 credits. They have reduced hours, will only book out a short distance and will not book 90 min appointments. This seemed unreasonable so I asked for more time to use the credits and was told no. I made an appointment to at least use 1 credit and told them I would be looking into the legality of them keeping the funds for all of the credits I am unable to use. They then told me unless I promise not to pursue this they are canceling my appointment and I am no longer allowed access even for the 60 days to use any credits. Completely unprofessional and inappropriate attempt to harass and intimidate me. Manager even threatened to charge me personally with fraud for disputing any charges.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I called the Brookfield, CT location to purchase a gift card for my daughter-in-law and asked them to hold on to it for my son to pick up. I made an embarrassing mistake. I called the wrong place. I meant to call another local spa that my daughter-in-law goes to. When I realized my mistake I called right away, hoping for understanding and a refund. I had to call three times before getting an answer – which was... no refunds, even though they still had possession of the card. They said it was a national policy and I could call the national office, which I did.

Over a period of 4 business days, I left 5 messages with customer service and one with the CEO before finally receiving a call back from... IT. (You have to wonder about a company that uses IT personnel to appease customers.) Their answer was no refund but I could possibly work something out with the CT location. I called the Brookfield location again and asked for a manager to call me...it never happened. I called again two days later and asked for a manager. After being placed on hold an employee told me no refund, but again, no manager talked to me.

I made a stupid mistake that I admitted, and was hoping for some understanding during unusual times, however, what angered me is the total lack of response! Not one conversation with the local manager and 6 calls to the corporate customer service office before even a response? That silence speaks volumes about how they really feel about customers. Stay away from this company!

Massage Envy Company Information