2. Miscellaneous

Folsom, CA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.52/5

Massage Envy Reviews

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Thank goodness I looked at my statement. I was charged on two separate dates (meaning it was not a random mistake) for services and products I did not receive. The franchise I dealt with was slow to act and refund me. The bookkeeper informed me that the employee who charged me has since left. What does that mean? Was she fired for doing this to other clients? I'm very disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I live in Massachusetts but am spending 8 weeks in Florida taking a class at a training facility. My friend from Massachusetts purchased me a Massage Envy gift card as a going away present to use while I’m here in Palm Coast, Florida. When she purchased the gift card, they had her set up an account for me (not a membership) with my name and phone number. The amount on the gift card was for the price of one couple's massage for my husband and I plus gratuity. I made my appointment, we had a nice massage, and at check out I was told the gift card balance was only 17 dollars. What? I was confused. They then told me they could see on their system that I had used part of it in California and part of it in Wisconsin. I said I haven’t been to either of those places, and I had never even heard of or stepped foot in a Massage Envy until today. They said “I’m sure there’s a mix up, don’t worry, we’ll figure this out and give you a call.”

Well, my credit card (that they had taken to have on file when I made the appointment in case of cancellation) was charged $103 dollars, and they did call me. I asked what was going on. They said “think of this from our perspective- you purchased the gift card in Massachusetts, you used it in California, you used it in Wisconsin and now you’re in Florida- it seems you’ve been traveling, what else are we supposed to think?” I said, “No, I have not been traveling. could it be possible that someone with a similar name as me went into the Massage Envy in those other states, said their name, and the employee mistakenly pulled up my account instead of theirs, told the customer they had gift credit, and applied my gift card to their services?” They admitted that was probably what happened, but said I should call my friend who purchased the gift card to find out what had happened.

How would she know what happened?! Plus, why should I have to embarrass my friend because of your mistake?? Then I was told my only other option was to call corporate. I left a message there but I’m not hopeful I’ll hear back or get a refund. I opened a dispute with my credit card company to retrieve the funds, and canceled the card Massage Envy had on file so they won’t charge someone else’s services to my account, if that’s even what really happened. I’m thinking it might just be a total scam to get paid double, because it’s strange they would require the gift card purchaser to have to set up an account for the recipient. That enabled them to claim someone had used my account before I was able to use the gift card. Terrible. No accountability or apology, and so irresponsible. I asked why they don’t verify who people are before pulling up their account, they said “we have no way to do that” haha.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I started getting massages over a year ago. I signed up with a monthly billable “you can cancel anytime” membership. When I realized the massage was aggravating my hip, and it was taking over a month in advance to schedule, I cancelled. They continued to charge my credit card every month. I finally disputed the charges with my bank and was promised it would not happen again! It did!

I disputed the charges 3 times AND cancelled my card. However, they were able to get my new card number from MC as a recurring charge. Maddening!! I called ME again and they stated I had an annual membership now (not sure how that happened all of a sudden). Now they call me every month and are rude and threatening. The most recent call, the woman said “well, we’ll just keep calling you until you update your credit card.” How can any company do business like this It’s ridiculous! DO NOT sign up, you’ll never be able to cancel...Ever! If you see a Massage Envy sign, my advice is simply “RUN.”

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I have recently ended my membership of about 5 years with Massage Envy. I stayed because I liked the massage therapist. The management has not been good at the LODO downtown location for years and this includes the current manager who is new. I had 5-6 appointments canceled over the last few years there. 2 of these in the last several months. Several appointments were canceled without any notice to me. I would call to confirm and someone had canceled the appointment. The management did not make it right with me. I did like the location that I signed up with off of Arapahoe and Parker road but did not find a therapist I really liked there. I have written emails to Massage Envy corporate with NO response about all of the canceled appointments.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

My daughter babysat and saved up in order to purchase a gift certificate for me. It was my birthday and she paid $100 online for a 90 minutes massage, gratuity included. The website STILL offers this in the exact same words. When I called to book my 90 minute massage within 3 weeks of receiving the gift, I was told that the pricing at my Massage Envy location "just went up" so that the $100 would only buy me a 60 minute massage OR (of course) I was "welcome" to ADD TO the cost and purchase myself the 90 minutes.

HORRIBLE and I felt terrible for my daughter, who really wanted to give me 90 minutes. Of course there is no one available via the website on weekends to contact about this, even though the company is open 7 days a week. Not even a "chat" available. Will just put a dispute in through my daughter bank, since she purchased the gift via her debit card. I'm so disgusted and will never walk back in a M.E. Envy again. Too many other great options out there.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Massage Envy?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I saw prices go up at Massage Envy from $60 to $90 for a 60 minute massage. To try and get a massage for less, I purchased a 6 month membership paying in advance so I could get 6 massages for $60 each. I usually give massage gift cards and thought this would be a good way to save money as I was told I could transfer one massage per month to someone else. I was told I would not lose the massages if I did not use them, they would carry over to the next month and I would have a certain amount of time after the 6 months to use up any unused massages. I ended up getting busy with other unexpected events during this time and was nearing the end of the 6 months with all 6 massages to use, but I wanted to transfer 4 of them so I was not too concerned.

Little did I know how much hassle I was up against to get the massages used!!! Every time I tried to transfer a massage, there was some kind of issue. It is a process to even get the massage to transfer and even at the end of the contract they will still only let you transfer to someone else once per month, so I could not transfer to family members I had promised to and ended up needing to pay for one of their massages separately even though I had a bunch to use up. Also, if the massage for someone you transfer a massage to is not done at the same location you purchased the membership from, they will charge a $10 fee.

When I had 2 days left to use up the last 2 massages and wanted to transfer one to my mom (I had to wait until the last minute so another month had passed so I could transfer the massage to her), I called the location I purchased the membership from to do the transfer to my mom. When the Massage Envy employee realized I had 2 days left to transfer the massage, she said she probably wouldn’t be able to transfer it because usually 3 days notice is needed to transfer a massage?!

This is ridiculous - why would it be so difficult to transfer a massage? She said she does not have the authority and since it was the weekend she didn’t know if management would be there to make the transfer. Then when I questioned this, she said she would make a note that I wanted the transfer done. I said I needed to know if it could be done so my mom could schedule it and somehow then she said she was able to get it done and said we were set. However about 5 minutes later she called back and said she could not do the transfer because I didn’t have a credit card on file. First of all, she had already said it was done. Second of all, I had prepaid so why would they need my credit card on file, and just to do the transfer which should be free?

Lastly, I had not specified where we were scheduling the massage so if it was at the location I purchased the membership from, there should not be a $10 fee. It was also odd she didn’t just ask for my card, instead she just said she wouldn’t be able to do it. After I brought up these points I asked her, "So you would be able to make the transfer with a credit card number?" She said yes and then I proceeded to give her the number and she asked “Do you know the zip code”? (Hello yes, I know my zip code). I was so frustrated by then and gave her the information - she said the only way she could do the transfer with her limited access to the system was for me to be charged.

I specified this charge would only be the $10 and only if we went to a different location and then she said there were no openings at their location except for a 90 minute opening, which would not work for a 60 minute massage because they would miss out on getting paid for the extra half hour. Wouldn’t you think they would just be happy to have a 60 minute massage instead of nothing if nobody scheduled during that time? Anyways I just accepted I would have to use a different location and pay the fee. They said when my mom goes to use the massage, she will need to give a code instead of her name to use the transfer & I am still not sure what this code is as she did not give it to me.

I have never experienced more rigamarole and useless policies that make things more difficult for the customer, and at a massage/relaxation business nonetheless! I am not a customer any longer - I will find a cheaper/better hassle free way to get a massage. The massages themselves were good, but not worth the headaches. And just think if the massages had expired I would have lost them - I thought it is now against the law for gift cards to expire and I do not see this as much different when it is paid for in advance, at the very least if you do not use it, you should be able to get your money back.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I was appalled this morning as I watched a vehicle wrapped in “Massage Envy” stop for a loading school bus and then just take off and drive past it. Light were red and blinking, bus gate was still out. Vehicle then stop to turn into a church parking lot. Why the big hurry? They broke the law while advertising for this company, disgusting.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Very upset with Massage Envy! I purchase a gift card yesterday online. I got a white screen with “error - timed out” and no gift certificate - yet the money is coming out of my account. I’ve called multiple times leaving multiple messages and emailed multiple times with no responses. There are horrible reviews for their customer service and now I see why. It is absolutely impossible to speak to a live person at corporate and the actual Massage Envy establishments say they can’t help with anything purchased online.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

On May 10, 2019 I went into Massage Envy to use a gift card. They told me they could not honor the gift card because they were having an ongoing issue due to their computer system transfer. (It also affected anyone who had purchased a gift card from an outside store - i.e. a grocery store) I am a member, so I asked them to check and let me know. When I called my local M. Envy manager a week later "the IT dept had not called back" then in June I e-mailed corporate. They e-mailed a reply saying they would get back to me with a resolution. Now it is September 2, 2019 and NO RESOLUTION. If this is how they treat their members, I would think twice about investing - POOR service!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I am very unhappy with what happened at my appointment today. When I walked in I was informed I had to confirm some form on a tablet. The girl could not clearly explain what the form was for nor was able to let me see what was on the form. I found this very upsetting and from a legal standpoint any signature is invalid as it was signed under duress!

The massage therapists at this location are problems. There is one guy (Anthony) who they keep pushing. The guy is blind and the one massage I had from him was not good. Good for him but I'm not there for charity and his massage was terrible!!! Then there was the woman today who has a terrible smoker's hacking cough. I'm there to relax and listening to her hack up a lung every 5 minutes is plain disgusting. Massage Envy doesn't care about anything except profits. There goes my relaxing massage. Shame on Massage Envy!!!

Massage Envy Company Information