3.29/5

Folsom, CA

379 Massage Envy Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 25, 2019

Hi everyone. While I love their massages and have used their services a lot and my family too, please do NOT use the website to get an ONLINE gift card!!!! I tried to get one 7/23/2019 for my daughter for her birthday and filled the screen out and payment information. Clicked submit and the webpage errored! That wasn’t the worse part. There were NO confirmation emails sent to either my daughter or me. HOWEVER THE NEXT DAY THE CHARGE POSTED TO MY BANK ACCOUNT!!!! And when my daughter scheduled a massage to use what I thought was a gift card of course our location could not verify it. They tried and I tried resending the gift card from the website link. No luck.

Locations near us could not help. There is ONLY an email for help. NO customer support. No phone number to talk to a person who CAN HELP. The phone number posted with my bank post seems to be a corporate number but following the menu prompts for help with gift cards they tell you to send an EMAIL. I’m not sure about anyone else but when I have an issue with a service I want to talk to a live person. I am working with my bank now to treat this as a fraudulent charge. The phone numbers given me were for SURVEY support. Ugh.

Original review: July 18, 2019

Massage Envy's membership program is a sham and does not provide any benefits to the customer. It does not significantly reduce the price and requires a monthly payment, even if you do not use their service that month. If you cannot make it every month, then you keep paying for something you cannot receive.

It is just better to schedule an appointment and pay as you go.

Original review: July 13, 2019

I have not had any success connecting my online customer account with my account in local location where I joined and my information is kept.... I cannot connect my CC to my profile, I cannot book appointments online or via app, cannot see past appointments, nor the future appointments...and there is NO tech support!!!! There is NO contact information on the website for technical help. They only refer you to the local franchise locations.

The local office tried to help, but they are not technical support. They said there HAS to be a tech team to fix these issues when the online profile match with the online profile, but do not connect nor sync. The online booking and online account is useless.... It is still offering for me to join and I already did, but cannot book or see any of my appointments on my account. I have to call the location every single time!?!? This is not good and NO-ONE to fix the issue. Grossly disappointed. :-( Most likely after keeping the required 12 months of membership I will pass on the membership, unless something drastically changes for the better.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I purchased a $100 gift card for my wife for a 90 minute massage. I asked the sales associate working the front desk to make sure it was going to be a 90 minute massage and he stated “yes”. Months later my wife calls to set up an appointment for her 90 min massage and massage envy tells her that since she is in the system as having been there before (which is true since I had gotten her a couple of gift cards from there before) that she did not qualify for the $100 90 minute massage. They tell her that rate was only for new customers. I then went to the store and tried to explain to them that the salesperson never mentioned $100 only for first time customers.

I told manager that he basically performed a bait and switch. I explained to him, “I asked to make sure it was $100 for 90 minutes and the sales person said “yes”. I then explained to the manager “He flat out lied and omitted the part of, if you have previously been here before then you do not qualify for the $100 90 minute massage.” This is when the manager came out with his routine “well if you buy a membership than we can cut this massage payment to $50.” What a rude and cheap way to try and get new customers. I guess they figure most people will give in and sign up to save money. Massage Envy is not a very honest or up front company when it comes to verbally explaining their product line when purchasing a gift card in person at their store.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I purchased a gift card online for my friend's birthday and entered in the wrong email address in order for her to receive the electronic gift card. Called customer service/Corporate and they prompt you to leave a message or email them instead. None of the franchises could do anything because they aren't affiliated with corporate. My card was charged and my friend is not getting her gift now on her birthday and someone else with the email submitted is now going to receive an electronic gift card on me! Very frustrating that you cannot speak to a live person.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Massage Envy?

Original review: June 26, 2019

I was given a gift card, so I called in the AM and made an appt for the PM. At no time was I given their cancellation policy. Throughout the day my baby got sick and in the evening he developed a fever. I called to cancel and was forced to reschedule or would be charged a 50% cancellation fee (which no one told me about.) I explained to the receptionist that I had to find out my husband's schedule in order to reschedule because he would have to be home to stay with the kids in order for me to go. She "apologize" but said if I did not rescheduled she would have to charge me. However, I was stuck seeing whomever they had schedule me with and her schedule and mine did not agree.

I ended up choosing a late mid-week time. The day of the rescheduled appt came and they called me saying I was supposed to be there (apparently they wrote me down on the wrong time) and when I explained to the receptionist that they made a mistake because there was no way I would've scheduled it for the time she said (being that I had a weekly commitment at that time) she said she could not fit me in the later time (which was supposed to be my time to start with) and could not reschedule me again and would have to charge me the 50% fee (even though they made the mistake). Can you believe these people? They are bullies, liars, deceiving thieves and I do not understand how they are still in business. They are the WORSE PLACE/PEOPLE. DO NOT GO THERE!!!

Original review: June 24, 2019

My husband and I have been members since 2010. For a few years things were great: we had a wonderful therapist and the staff and Manager were helpful. Things have changed drastically in the last couple of years. Therapists were leaving, Managers were leaving, and the front desk staff went from helpful to uninformed and unhelpful. Employees were complaining about not being treated fairly and were leaving. In a word, a disaster! We went from having a massage and/or facial EVERY month, to accumulating 3-4 credits because we couldn't book appointments with the therapists we liked - they either left or cut back their hours...

Realizing that things were not getting any better (yesterday I received a "mechanical" massage from an unfamiliar therapist), we tried to cancel our memberships. First, we spent over 30 minutes trying to schedule our remaining credits over the allowed 60 days, THEN we were told it will take 10 days to process the cancellation, which would fall a few days after our next monthly payment is charged, which would result in another credit we would have to try to schedule... In spite of all my explanations and pleas as to WHY we were cancelling the memberships, they refused to accommodate. I sent a message to Corporate Customer Service - they don't answer their phone, but not holding my breath on them being helpful. It seems, no amount of bad publicity or negative reviews seem to matter to ME!

Original review: June 12, 2019

It has been extremely frustrating and disappointing to pay a monthly fee for a service that has been so hard to get. I have frequently encountered issues with their website and their schedules are always fully booked which makes it impossible to get a massage quickly. Furthermore, I have been last-minute cancelled again and again because one of their massage therapist didn't show up to work and they couldn't find a replacement. My experience with Massage Envy has not been a good one. I was told it would get better once the expansion of the Mandeville offices would be complete as more therapists would be hired but I have seen no change. For those reasons I have cancelled my membership with Massage Envy.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Been a member over 4 years, had amazing experience in the past. Looks like if you are in a hurry and don't leave a tip you're added to a black list. Even though several times I left the tip cash never made it to the person who I used every single time. Today I booked the same person. Showed up. Been told I was with some other therapist which made me uncomfortable but accepted it. Room was cold, felt like I was being in a machine press instead of getting a toned massage. I stopped the service in the first 10 min. Once I walked out manager and the therapist I clearly requested told me that he didn't accept me because I didn't tip. Wow. Really? Then once I went on the details all I get the lame round about.

This is the way this location turned into. As a beach resident this was highly convenient for me. However I will be cancelling this membership and use or gift all my remaining sessions which I think around 20 of them and not recommending this to anyone let alone I will ask my close family to cancel and move on immediately. Sobe location is not what it used to be. Seems from other reviews in the last 6 months they are on a downward spiral anyway. Terrible to see our local spots to lose quality and customer service.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I signed up for a monthly massage subscription. The massage quality was good. The massages were easy to schedule and the staff treated me well at the facility. About 9 months later, I no longer needed the massages and decided to cancel my membership. The individual answering calls told me I needed to speak with a manager. I would need to wait for the manager to call me back. When she did, I learned I had committed to 12 months and wasn’t allowed to cancel yet. I thought that was a little misleading, as I didn't recall agreeing to a 12-month lockup. They said I also couldn’t give them advance notice of cancelling. I would need to call in and go through this again when my 12 months were up.

When I called back in at the end of the summer, I again had to wait for the manager to call me back. She never did so I called in again. Finally we got on the phone and she told me I couldn’t cancel yet and that I had to wait for the next month. The following month, the manager told me I needed to sign the official cancellation document, which would take effect in 30 days. Unfortunately I had moved out of the state so I couldn’t go into the location to do this. She sent me the document via email, which I had to print and sign. I sent a picture of it and never heard back. I called back and was told to go into a Massage Envy location and have them fax it in. I went into the location nearest me, explained everything again, and faxed it in. The Orem location said they would confirm receipt but I never heard from them. After calling in a few more times, I received confirmation of receipt and cancellation. I see two main here.

1. Massage Envy has a burdensome processes to deter customers from cancelling. It is a waste of customers' time and energy.

2. The Orem franchisee was difficult to communicate with. This compounded the issues with the process.

Massage Envy Company Information