2. Miscellaneous

Folsom, CA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.46/5

Massage Envy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Massage Envy?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Massage Envy?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Very upset with Massage Envy! I purchase a gift card yesterday online. I got a white screen with “error - timed out” and no gift certificate - yet the money is coming out of my account. I’ve called multiple times leaving multiple messages and emailed multiple times with no responses. There are horrible reviews for their customer service and now I see why. It is absolutely impossible to speak to a live person at corporate and the actual Massage Envy establishments say they can’t help with anything purchased online.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

On May 10, 2019 I went into Massage Envy to use a gift card. They told me they could not honor the gift card because they were having an ongoing issue due to their computer system transfer. (It also affected anyone who had purchased a gift card from an outside store - i.e. a grocery store) I am a member, so I asked them to check and let me know. When I called my local M. Envy manager a week later "the IT dept had not called back" then in June I e-mailed corporate. They e-mailed a reply saying they would get back to me with a resolution. Now it is September 2, 2019 and NO RESOLUTION. If this is how they treat their members, I would think twice about investing - POOR service!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I am very unhappy with what happened at my appointment today. When I walked in I was informed I had to confirm some form on a tablet. The girl could not clearly explain what the form was for nor was able to let me see what was on the form. I found this very upsetting and from a legal standpoint any signature is invalid as it was signed under duress!

The massage therapists at this location are problems. There is one guy (Anthony) who they keep pushing. The guy is blind and the one massage I had from him was not good. Good for him but I'm not there for charity and his massage was terrible!!! Then there was the woman today who has a terrible smoker's hacking cough. I'm there to relax and listening to her hack up a lung every 5 minutes is plain disgusting. Massage Envy doesn't care about anything except profits. There goes my relaxing massage. Shame on Massage Envy!!!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

My massage and facial were not up to the standard or mediocre. I Do not recommend this establishment to anyone on Staten Island. They provided the absolute worst service both at the front desk. As for the massage therapist and aesthetician they need practice. I've had better services at two different establishments on Staten Island. I had a very bad experience with your customer service. The woman at the front desk took my payment which was in the form of a gift card from my husband and proceeded to tell me that after charging me for the services I only had $9 left. When my husband purchased this gift card he included a 20% tip for both services and when I told the woman at the front desk she advised me that they were probably in the middle of changing rates when he purchased the gift card.

I am very annoyed and disappointed with the way this was handled by your employee. She was very unprofessional and was not willing to compromise any type of agreement as to tip the ladies. I proceeded to give her $10 in cash and told her to figure out how to tip the masseuse and the aesthetician. My husband goes above and beyond when it comes to tipping, so I know for a fact he left a good tip for the services that were to be provided, but since your establishment decided they were going to charge me the updated service fees your workers lost out!!!! Sincerely, A very disappointed customer.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Massage Envy's membership is a racket to bleed you dry. If you give them a credit card to bill your monthly membership fee too, they will keep billing that even after your membership has expired. They automatically renew you and then keep on charging you. My membership should have ended in August 2018. Without my knowledge, they automatically renewed it and continued to charge me to the tune of $780.00. Now that I have cancelled my membership, I only have 60 days to use 14 massages or I lose them all. This business of monthly memberships is a complete and total sham.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I started going to Massage Envy due to a whiplash injury. During my time there, I was offered a membership and was hesitant due to some reviews I had read but with reassurance from the receptionist helping me, it seemed like maybe it would be a good idea. I was given a tablet with questions to answer, and a review of the membership. I remember specifically reading the portion of the cancellation policy provided to me. It stated that I paying month to month and if I wanted to cancel could do so. Cancelling could just take up to 10 business days. Hence couple a weeks before your account is charged. That's what was represented to me when signing and the receptionist revised this with me and never stated I couldn't cancel.

I lost my job and made this aware to the area manager Jason. He stated instead of cancelling my account, they could just freeze it so I wouldn't be charged (No job no money) and he would call me some time later on to follow up with me and see if I wanted to keep my membership due to my financial situation. I had this conversation toward the end of May.

It's August 15th now and have never received one call from Jason or anyone at my home clinic. This morning I see on my bank statement a $60 charge from Massage Envy. That was really confusing because I had not spoken with anyone about un-freezing my membership. So I call Jason. No answer and voicemail is full. Tells me he's a manager who doesn't care or follow up if he allows his voicemail to be full. So I call again and he answered. I explained the charge, he was rude and helpful, kept stating he couldn't do anything until he was in the office. I understood that and was just trying to make him aware but he didn't want to listen to anything I had to say.

He called me an hour later and stated my account was eligible to cancel due to a 12 month contract that I had signed. I explained I didn't sign for a 12 month contract and that was never stated to me that was the obligation. As he kept talking over me I was trying to explain I signed a month to month and no longer want their services and want my membership canceled. He just kept talking over me so finally I had to hang up. I've also requested my medical records 3 separate times and have received nothing. I explained I need these records to settle an insurance claim for my whiplash injury. I have even called the corporate center and left a message and never received a response.

I have contacted my bank to dispute the charge because with the understanding given to me, my account would not be charged while on freeze and Jason never disclosed to me that is only temporary to have an account on freeze. He never said in a x amount of time, Massage Envy will start to debit your account. I never gave authorization for this charge and I am really frustrated and upset with such careless customer service and fraudulent representation of their policy. At this point it's a nightmare and I wouldn't ever recommend services from Massage Envy.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I originally started here 6 years ago and the quality of customer service from branch to branch is ridiculously unpredictable. Some branches don’t answer the phone, some never have appointments available, some have no decent massage therapists. I have MS and I asked two different therapists to focus on my feet at the Falls of Neuse in Raleigh branch. After neither did more than a few minutes on my feet- I complained and got an assurance that would never happen again. I was so unhappy I didn’t re-up when my membership ran out but they continued to run charges on my card.

I went back about six months ago and said I wanted to use up the massages on my account and was told I would have to sign up again and that many of the ones I had accrued were expired. I had to talk to the manager twice to get them reinstated in a weird way that almost all receptionists don’t understand. I decided to give away all of my other massages on account and was told I have to pay a $10 fee for each one to give them away. It’s a giant racket and not really worth it. You’re going to occasionally find a good therapist but the business practices are shady and they will bleed you dry at the drop of a hat. Avoid.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Started out of the gate and was satisfied with the service. However down the road things begin to deteriorate. Had to make appointments over one month in advance to even come close to a appointment time that fit my schedule. Then begin a series of months where, even after scheduling an appointment a month in advance, they would call and cancel the appointment, another month in advance. Before you knew I had 3 to 5 months credit stacked up. But of course that didn't stop the charges to my credit card.

Finally I'd had enough. Went to the bank and had the automatic deduction canceled. Then went to, on same day, ME and signed a statement canceling out my "honorable" membership. At that point I still had two months credit of massages. But figured would just bite the bullet. A review of my bank statement a month later revealed that even though I had canceled the membership, at the bank and at ME, somehow they had managed to deduct $130.00 dollars from my account at the end of the month. So that totals out to FOUR massages I paid for but was not able to schedule. Two from the previous credit and two ($130.00) illegal charges to my bank account. A grand total of $260.00. NEVER AGAIN

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I had good experience with them for almost 2 years. I cancelled my membership after the rudeness of my last massage therapist. The last time I had an appointment she had an upper respiratory infection. I know it’s hard to miss work but this something you would not appreciate from an organization that promotes wellness.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I've been a member since 2008. I've been wanting out for years. My employment required me to move often. Nearly every transfer to a new location has involved some issue; one location cancelled my membership instead of transferring it, which would have been great but they didn't advise they were cancelling the membership and that I had a very short time to use up a large number of rolled-over services. Since I wasn't aware (and I could not realistically use that many services in that short a time even if I was aware), I lost the large number of prepaid services I had. I raised Cain and got *most* of my services back.

I go for several month stretches where I can't come in, and I wanted to freeze my account to allow me to use up a bunch of those accrued services. They do that- "great!" I thought... but it turns out you have to PAY MONEY TO GET THEM TO STOP TAKING YOUR MONEY. There is a fee per month to freeze your account. The website log in allows me only to book; I cannot personally monitor the number of services I've paid for or make sure they're all accounted for. I think this is very deceptive. They're only interested in new members. They're also interested only in selling you product. I refuse to get facials from them any more for this reason; I had tried facials as a way to work down my prepaid so that I could finally leave but the repeated sales pitches turned me off of that in a hurry.

I had also tried transferring/gifting sessions from my prepaids- they mucked that all up so the recipients never got their sessions and I was out those sessions I had prepaid. So, if you get a membership, you can't get out of it. I've been trying for a while. It's more stress and hassle than it's worth, and while the massages were competitively priced when I started, they're definitely not anymore. As another person noted, with the monthly fee plus gratuity, you really are better off paying for massages as you go, and pay about what you would most anywhere else. I will say the therapists over the years have mostly been great people. I have no issues with the therapists. All of my complaints are directed at their deceptive corporate practices. I would recommend them for single massages, but seriously, stay far away from the membership.

Massage Envy Company Information