Thycotic

Thycotic, a global leader in next-generation IT security solutions, delivers an indispensable, comprehensive Privileged Account Management (PAM) solution to protect your “keys to the kingdom” from cyber-attacks and insider threats. Unlike any other security offering, Thycotic Secret Server assures the protection of privileged accounts while being the fastest to deploy, easiest to use, scalable enterprise-class solution offered at a competitive price. Already securing privileged account access for more than 3,500 organizations worldwide, including Fortune 500 enterprises, Thycotic Secret Server is simply your best value for PAM protection.

Compare Password Manager

Research top Password Manager recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

It's been very easy for the staff to work with it. There were some difficulties with initial setup but their support staff was very helpful sorting them out. Once we got on the phone with a knowledgeable technician, everything was worked out, but it was a little confusing getting the initial setup running. There was confusion with the multiple platforms across employees' personal computers. But it did ultimately get resolved. Now that everything's in place, it's incredibly smooth running. We haven't had any confusion or complaints from employees after the switch and haven't had to speak with customer service since the initial setup. We haven't had a single security incident since the switch, and we haven't had any complaints about password retrieval from staff either. We all feel safer knowing that there is a system in place to protect our security.

It was not worth the price. I would not buy it for half of the price. I wouldn't purchase the product again for any price. It was a waste of money and time. It did not work at all and didn't meet any of my expectations. The easiest part was installing it but I ultimately had to uninstall the horrible product. There was no use in the product at all. It never would power on. I will never buy from this company again. It never provided any security for me nor my family. I was very disappointed and unsatisfied.

It was useful to my work. Installation difficult and needs to be made much easier than it is. At this time should not need tech to handle install for program. Once used to program you get used to it and it becomes easier with continued use. Doing over and over again. Difficult training new employed people at our current job. Had a couple problems with it and did get resolved in somewhat timely manner in my opinion but others thought it could be faster than it was for us. Please correct problem as soon as you can.

In the digital age, passwords are more important than just about anything else and you want anything online locked with the most secure methods possible and they delivered! It wasn't too strenuous of a process but was just complicated enough to make me feel like my information was secure. Installation is about what you would expect, though. The system used to encrypt your password and information feels like it should be hard to do, but that's what makes me feel so safe. It was so surprising to me that it looked so complicated on the exterior but even a beginner could utilize it. I have had security issues with my passwords in the past, but I can honestly say that I haven't had a single breach since using this service. I think that speaks volumes all in itself.

I found the product to work as specified and described. I would recommend the product to others and would encourage further development down the line. Installation was relatively smooth and seamless. The systems handled all tasks with utmost satisfaction and I would again recommend this to others. I found the use of the product to work out just fine and everything worked as expected and as promised. Everything was pretty decent but wish price point was better. My systems had all software transitions from installation to be a success. Security was reasonable at this price point, but overall a good product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Thycotic ?

It is a good value for the money and helps us without too much of a hassle to deal with. I am not sure I would switch to another company so that is a positive. This was a very easy install for us. I am very good with installation anyway so if you struggle you can easily get help from their support. Easy to use and easy to install, what more can you ask for there. Everyone wants ease of use nowadays so that is another plus for them. Security itself is of utmost importance to us. One has to worry about security in every aspect of life so this is one less thing to worry about. Thank you for being secure.

Unnecessary delay in approving trial version software download.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Thycotic offers a suite of IT security and password management services, including Secret Server for managing and storing passwords and Password Reset Server for managing password changes.

• Easy to install and use: Each product comes with an install wizard to guide users through the process. Thycotic installation requirements are minimal and the products offer intuitive controls to help users manage their passwords and password resets from Day One.
  • Lots of configuration options: Thycotic allows users to customize their password management so that it works exactly the way they want and need it to.
  • Web-based access: IT teams can easily access Thycotic tools from work or home using web-based tools and a suite of mobile applications.
  • Integration of services: Each service must be purchased and installed separately, which could be expensive, time-consuming and confusing for casual Internet users. However, Thycotic specializes in solutions for an IT environment, not individual consumer use.
  • Customer service: Users must pay an extra fee to get 24-hour customer service, which may be needed if a security emergency happens during non-business hours. US-based customer support is available for customers from Monday-Friday during standard business hours.
  • Best for CEOs and executives, Small business owners

Question and Answers - Thycotic

James Legg
President and CEO

What problem is Thycotic trying to solve?

Privileged accounts, such as Windows local admin, UNIX root, CISCO enable and more are the number one target for hackers and malicious insiders today. According to a recent global study of actual cyber-attacks, the IANS Research Institute found that more than 62% of security breaches have resulted from privileged account abuse.

Once various threat actors from outside and inside organizations get access to privileged accounts, they gain “the keys to your kingdom,” providing complete access to, and control of, the IT infrastructure, core systems and applications, as well as critical business and customer data. Thus, what might have been considered a relatively low profile but important IT administrative task of privileged account management (PAM) has become elevated to a critical point of vulnerability for most organizations.

Cyber-attacks today are typically designed to evade traditional threat prevention technologies focused on protecting the perimeter from outside threats. Once inside a network, attackers attempt to advance from the initial breach, escalating their privileges and moving through the system to identify and access confidential information. This enables attackers to blend in with legitimate traffic, allowing them to operate undetected inside an organization for long periods of time. One recent analyst report, for example, indicated the median length of time that attackers can operate on an organization’s network before being detected is approximately 240 days.

What sets Thycotic apart from the competition?

Unlike any other security offering, Thycotic Secret Server assures the protection of your privileged accounts while being the fastest to deploy and the easiest to use scalable enterprise-class solution offered at a competitive price.

What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?

Thycotic’s solutions are built on the standard Microsoft stack, it’s easy to install, easy to setup and easy to manage. Purpose built for admins means you don’t have to spend lots of time getting something up and running, or constantly maintaining it. With Thycotic solutions, you don’t have to rely on professional services to get it up and running, or to secure it. We support the standard recommendations by Microsoft for SQL clustering, IIS load balancing and all their security hardening recommendations.

Secret Server was purpose-built to be used by administrators and engineers, not end-users. It’s an intuitive, straight-forward interface that does not get in the way of getting things done. It can be tweaked to suit an individual admin’s preferences, and can be customized to focus in on a particular task at hand. Admins and engineers, who are typically very picky about their tools and usually resistant to new tools, already love Secret Server. Thus getting their buy-in and adoption is easy and helps the security team ensure a successful deployment.

Throughout Secret Server, the use of scripts and an easy to use API lets users easily and quickly customize their application. This adds additional power to the software, where admins can use PowerShell or Perl or other scripting languages to extend the capabilities of Secret Server in very dramatic and powerful ways. We license based on actual users, not target hosts, and pricing tends to be far less expensive. Thycotic has tons of customers who rave about our support, how quick we are to respond, how we can answer the questions immediately, and that the entire support team is super knowledgeable. This is very different from what admins are used to when they call tech support. Thycotic’s customers are that passionate about Secret Server, with much of that generated by our outstanding support.

How does Thycotic measure success?

We are on a global mission to help IT teams worldwide protect their organizations from hackers. We measure success by providing the easiest, and most affordable solution for IT teams to prevent cyber-attacks leveraging our industry-leading PAM security software.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry and your company?

Most people believe Privileged Account Management Security is nearly impossible to achieve. We are breaking this common misconception by challenging those thinkers to evaluate our solutions in their own environments, free for 30 days.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about Thycotic?

Managing and protecting privileged accounts doesn’t have to be hard! You can implement a full, enterprise deployment or start small with one of our free tools, like our Secret Server Free vault to store IT team passwords or our free privileged account discovery tools.

Has your business received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?

Thycotic has won the 2013 and 2014 Inc. 500 Honoree, was a Best of VMworld 2014 finalist for Security and Compliance, was a finalist in Best Customer Service for the SC Magazine Awards 2015, was a Silver Winner in security for the Network Product Guide IT World Awards 2015 and much more.

How has Thycotic grown or evolved?

Thycotic continues momentum as the fastest growing provider of Privileged Account Management. The company has now achieved ten consecutive quarters of record revenue growth, reflecting significant corporate momentum and sustained market leadership in the PAM industry. Global growth is attributed to the addition of several product upgrades, a significant increase in customers and partners, the acquisition of Arellia and continued praise and recognition for its industry-leading PAM solutions.

Compare Password Manager