1.62/5
Based on 21 reviews that contain star ratings

Expired Warranty? Save on Repairs

Zurich Auto Warranty

Zurich offers extended auto warranties and vehicle service contracts that help protect you from vehicle repair costs. Zurich vehicle service contracts and extended warranties, available in the U.S, and Canada, can cover the cost of parts and labor to repair most major auto components.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

21 Zurich Auto Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

We purchased the powertrain warranty. We pay Faithfully every month for our warranty. Our work van broke down on us 2 weeks ago on the side of the road. Had it towed to a repair shop. Turns out it's the transmission. Zurich is coming up with every excuse not to pay!! Saying it can't be caused from wear and tear and that something has to be broken before they can pay to fix it!! MAKES NO SENSE!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE STAY FAR AWAY FROM THESE SCAMMER CROOKS!!! Worst experience of my life!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

We purchased a new vehicle at Don Beyer Volvo Dulles in June, 2016. The sales person pitched Zurich insurance. As I recall, the cost was not inexpensive - about $1,200. Don Beyer likely received a nice commission for selling this worthless "peace of mind". About 6 months after the purchase of the car, we experienced a flat tire on I-95 - mind you these are $300 Continental tires that had very very low mileage on them. Zurich had no choice but to cover that tire. Fast Forward 2.5 years and we had another flat on a tire with about 9,000 miles on it - $300 Continental tire. My husband believes the tire is either defective or he hit something in the roadway. Of course, he was towed to Don Beyer and Zurich refused to cover the tire.

Zurich sent an"independent" investigator to inspect the tire which simply confirmed Zurich's position that the damage was caused by a curb hit, an exclusion. So Don Beyer wins this one because they got to charge us $400 to replace and do an alignment. Shame on Don Beyer for taking advantage of its customers by selling worthless insurance. I want to cancel this insurance and obtain a refund of the remaining balance. Does anyone know if Zurich is legally required to allow me to do this? Please save yourself this aggravation and avoid being robbed by Zurich.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I paid almost 700 dollars for their gap insurance and when my car ended up to be a total loss my insurance company who was great paid it off in full and of course Zurich small portion of it. They used any loophole they could find to get out of paying. What a bunch of crooks! Go through Progressive! Way better customer service and don't be you!

Original review: June 26, 2018

Paid $2,000 for a worthless warranty! Warranty clearly states that it covers AC problems. AC motor on my car needed to be replaced. Company denied claim. Timing belt is covered under the same policy. However, they won’t replace the timing belt until it breaks. Everyone knows that a broken timing belt will tear up the motor. DO NOT do business with this company! Complete SCAM!!

Original review: June 1, 2018

After having an engine light go off on my Camaro I had called Zurich to authorize diagnostics for the car... Turns out that there was some carbon build up in my GDI engine and they refused to cover the cleaning of it... They try to find any and every loophole they can and refuse to cover and pay even things that should be considered mechanical breakdowns... Very rude and dishonest Customer Service who handles claims, especially Andy **, I had this guy yell at me and then hung up on me because I was "being difficult" - for asking questions and requesting that he explains my policy to me... Do NOT waste your money on this, they are horrible!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zurich Auto Warranty?

Original review: March 15, 2018

My Honda CRV with 50K miles had to be fixed by the dealer because when the heater was on, the driver side did not blow hot air. Honda technician found heater core clogged. Zurich refused to cover the repair cost indicating that they only cover mechanical breakdown. So, something caused the heater to get clogged (online there is TSB by Honda indicating this failure occurs on other CRVs as well), but Zurich indicates this not a mechanical breakdown. I purchased comprehensive warranty (highest coverage) from Zurich and they find loopholes to not cover my claim.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

My 2013 Chrysler 300C broke down. Had to have it towed to my local repair shop. The Alternator shorted out and burnt battery out. They called Zurich for ok to go ahead with work. They said yes but did not cover battery which they said was 4 years old and needed replacement anyway. So they paid for all the other repair less my $100.00 deductible. I am pleased with Zurich handling of repair.

Original review: June 17, 2017

We purchased a 120 month/100k mile warranty from Zurich in May 2014 from the Chevy dealership when we bought our 2015 Chevy Suburban. We have had several issues with the Suburban and each time Chevy has taken care of it under their warranty. We have had a few items like leaky roof, broken video player, unsealed headlight - and NONE were covered under the "bumper to bumper" plan we purchased for nearly $4,500 from Zurich. Make sure you read all the fine print, but we would have been better off paying for items as they came up vs. the warranty. Also, when we brought it to the dealership to get fixed it took about 1 week for an adjuster from Zurich to review and reject our claim. Requiring sometimes 3 trips to the dealership for repair.

Original review: May 25, 2017

My wife and I purchased a Zurich powertrain warranty when we bought her 2013 Ford Fusion. After about six months the transmission failed in our car. We brought it into our local Ford dealer as recommended by Zurich. The dealer removed the transmission and after repeated calls to Zurich, an inspector came to confirm the transmission was bad. It took four days during which we had to pay for our own loaner car as Zurich only pays AFTER the inspection has been completed. Zurich then gave us the choice of using a Ford transmission for an extra $1500 or use one they found. After the transmission was installed Zurich refused to pay for a portion of the labor as they said they only pay for x amount of hours for a transmission replacement. They also refused to pay for part of the inspection fee. They refused to pay for a bypass valve that their transmission manual absolutely requires.

The end result was that we paid $432 out of pocket for a transmission that we had a "warranty" on. I guess when Zurich says powertrain warranty, they mean powertrain warranty* with a lot of fine print and slimy ways to get out of paying for whatever goes wrong. The customer service representatives I talked to on several calls sounded like they were reading legal disclaimers from a script and were not helpful at all. I would recommend thinking twice about working with this company.

Original review: May 22, 2017

Vehicle broke down, had a vehicle warranty through Zurich (which unknown to us had expired 2 days prior to the breakdown). Called Zurich for a tow but instructed them that we needed a dolly and lift as the car was stuck in park. Zurich rep did not advise us about our expired warranty (2 days old) and charged us $72 for the tow. Tow truck arrived without requested equipment and offered to drag my car onto and shake off the flatbed. I cancelled the tow to prevent further damage to my vehicle. Called Zurich to get my $72 back since no tow occurred and they arrived without equipment for the tow. I was told my credit card would be refunded within 48 hours.

After waiting 7 days with no refund I called Zurich customer service again and was informed that because my contract had expired 2 days prior to my call for the roadside assistance, my money was not refundable. I explained that when I made my initial call had I been informed that my contract was no longer valid I would have ended the request right then, but the Zurich representative failed to inform me and never gave me the chance to make that decision. I feel like I was robbed twice that day. Not only did they neglect to inform me of my expired contract and charge me for the tow truck but the tow truck could not even provide the service I paid for because the Zurich rep failed to ensure it had the proper equipment so I literally paid for nothing. And now they refuse to own up to their mistake and refund me my money.

Original review: May 21, 2017

In 2007 I bought a 2003 Acura TL from a dealer. I had preshopped extended warranties online and was prepared to laugh in the face of dealer when they offered me a bloated, overpriced warranty but instead the one they offered had better terms and a lower price than what I had found online so I went with it. Shortly before the 3 year term of my warranty was over, I felt a slight surge and thought there was a slight chance there was a problem with my transmission. I drove directly to the Acura dealer that was near my destination and found out there was indeed a problem and was surprised to find out I needed a new transmission. They asked if I had a warranty and I had to go home to find it. When I called back and told the dealership it was from Zurich, they informed me I would have no problems -- Zurich was a very solid and reputable company.

About 3 days later I picked up my repaired vehicle, and turned in the rental Zurich paid for. I never paid a dime for the repairs or the rental. I imagine they have different levels of contracts which with lower premiums and lower benefits, but I never was offered any other. I paid $2000 roughly and the repairs and rental would have come to at least about $3500. The only reason I am writing this review now is, I couldn't remember the name of the carrier and in trying to find it, ran across this showing Zurich with 1 out of 5 stars. I just wanted to add my 2 cents based on a very different experience.

Original review: April 14, 2017

My transmission went out on my van. The manufacturer warranty expired six months ago but I did purchase an extended warranty through Zurich. I went online and after reading all the reviews I thought there was no chance they would cover it. I was already on the hook for the bill to remove the transmission and for them to find the clutches were burnt out. They said it was likely from my transmission cooler leaking. But then they paid to fix it! I had to pay for the cooler and hoses but they covered the whole transmission.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

SCAM. I can't believe I fell into this trap of an extended warranty. Absolutely NOTHING has been covered. My car needs a new cooling system and that isn't ** covered and any further damage caused as a result is also not covered. Screw you Zurich. Go out of business already.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2015

Bought a power train coverage. Mechanic found crack on cylinder head. Then burned piston. Zurich denied claim.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2014

My partner purchased an extended warranty for his Jeep. The transmission had problems only after 4 months. Bad enough that it had to be towed to the local dealer. The local dealer said they couldn't look at the vehicle until 5 days later. He contacted Zurich. They were rude, inconsiderate on the phone and told him that they couldn't give him a rental vehicle until his vehicle was diagnosed. So, he has been without a vehicle for 5 days so far and won't know the diagnosis for 2 more days (if the dealership can "fit it in"). I asked him what his contract said with Zurich.

He said there wasn't a contract. Just a form that he signed and some glossy marketing material that doesn't say ANYTHING about no rental until a diagnosis. My recommendation to him was to contact our state's attorney general's office and file a complaint against Zurich. My recommendation to a potential client of Zurich is DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. From everything I've read on here, they are the biggest rip off that money can buy. If you have purchased insurance with them and are not satisfied, I would certainly recommend filing a complaint with your attorney general's office. Companies like this need to be stopped from taking advantage of the consumer.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2014

I have a leak in the exhaust manifold and they called the adjuster. He came out and said they need to take pictures of the damages and then they will let me know if they will cover it. If it isn't covered I'm out the cost of the repair which is about $3,000. I have tried calling and get no real answers from their customer service department. It isn't worth the cost of the extended warranty. Don't buy it.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2014

I took my 2005 Lexus ES330 to the dealer for my O2 sensor. I was told my warranty did not cover that. It only covered moving parts. I was told at the dealer my car has a bumper to bumper warranty. If there are any lawsuit against Zurich. I want to add my name.

Original review: July 25, 2014

Zurich is very crooked and in the business of selling vehicle warranties that they refuse to honor legitimate claims on. I bought a 2011 Chevy Impala, and paid over $2,200.00 for a 100,000-mile warranty. Recently, the AC blower stopped blowing. The problem was caused by a connector on a wiring harness with a burnt pin. It also damaged a speed control module (they call it a "resistor", but it really isn't - it is a solid state circuit). The "resistor" is not covered by warranty, but the contract plainly states that wiring harnesses are covered. The person in claims refused to cover it, saying the "resistor" caused the problem. I am an electronic technician myself, and believe me, I KNOW the problem was caused by the connector which was part of the wiring harness. It cost me almost $400.00 for repairs at the dealer. Their warranty is a SCAM!

Original review: April 15, 2014

My husband noticed this winter that our white CRV coloring on part of the bumpers was more yellow than the rest of the car. He contacted Zurich this morning to file a complaint and was asked when he noticed and told her within the last 6 months. Only response was "Sorry, you need to report within 30 days of finding. We can't help you." That is a very expensive service I have put on this vehicle and a 2013 Honda Accord. Have complained to dealership and they are looking in to it, but I guarantee you, I will NEVER purchase your product again - that is poor customer service and you are looking for a reason to not warrant your product!

Original review: March 18, 2014

I purchased a bumper to bumper, full coverage vehicle extended warranty from my local Ford dealership. Upon attempting to get coverage for my vehicle, I was denied coverage and my contract has been cancelled due to the fact that my adjuster has classified my pickup truck to be an Ambulance. I am a Volunteer EMT with a local town service, they have stated that based on their criteria "ANY" vehicle that I drive is considered to be an emergency vehicle, because I may have to use the vehicle to go to my job. I am out 2500 bucks due to this gross negligence and broken system at Zurich. The company is a fraud, I have had several repairs on my vehicles done in the past and none have ever voided a contract or been denied coverage.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2011

I purchased an all inclusive bumper-to-bumper extended warranty for my vehicle. Upon needing it serviced, I am getting the run-around and they are trying to get out from under the warranty on minor repairs. Rather than authorizing repair work at a Chevy dealership, they are insisting on sending out an inspector which could take up to two days before work will begin. They are claiming that since I own my own business and my vehicle is in my company's name, then the warranty may be void. I am the sole driver of my vehicle and was previously told that the name it was registered under would not be an issue. I am without a vehicle for a minimum of 3 days for what should have been a one-day repair. I won't know if they are going to cover repairs for at least a day and a half. I may be out the $1990 I spent on the warranty with no coverage.

Zurich Auto Warranty expert review by Lauren Fix

Offers four tiers of extended auto coverage that lessen the cost of repairs associated with mechanical breakdowns, damage to vehicle appearance and theft. Sold through most dealerships and honored by most repair facilities in the United States and Canada.

• Powertrain plan: Zurich’s most basic extended auto warranty includes rental reimbursement, emergency roadside assistance, and insurance for trip interruption, engine transfer cases, transmissions and drive axles.

• Standard plan: Includes everything at the Powertrain level, plus coverage for your vehicle’s suspension, steering, brakes, heating and AC and electrical.

• Preferred plan: Supplements the Standard level with insurance for the cooling system.

• Comprehensive plan: Zurich’s highest level of coverage includes rental reimbursement, emergency roadside assistance, and insurance for trip interruption, engine transfer cases, transmissions and drive axles, plus coverage for your vehicle’s suspension, steering, brakes, heating & AC and electrical, cooling systems, as well as your car’s interior and exterior.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
    Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Zurich Auto Warranty Company Information