1.75/5
Based on 230 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1341 United Health Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2016

We enrolled in the Silver Compass plan with UHC through the Marketplace starting Jan 2016. We have NEVER been late on paying our premiums and have always paid them BEFORE due date, but UHC keeps showing our acct online as terminated. Go to pick up Rx meds and was told our insurance was cancelled and that we had a new member ID number and some changes in coverage. WHAT??? Called UHC and after constant calls and speaking with everyone and their dog at UHC they decided that our account was mixed up with someone in TX that supposedly had the same name and birthday and birth year. We live in NC.

A couple of weeks later they claim to have it straightened out and yes, the member ID number and group number that we originally were issued is the correct one. Disregard the one given by phone to the pharmacist trying to get validation. Yearly checkup - won't pay for bloodwork even though the policy clearly states that it would. ENDLESS phone calls, no one knows what is going on. This denial of bloodwork claim payment is still being disputed.

I make UHC monthly payments online at their billing exchange website. Go to make my next month payment for June this morning and, you guessed it, it says account terminated. AGAIN call UHC, give them all pertinent info. Ask them if I can make my payment by phone as I wanted to be sure it was reflected as paid. Rep. says no. He doesn't want to do this. It will just make it more confusing for them while they are trying to straighten things out?? This is beyond absurd. So what's gonna happen if I go to the hospital and need immediate lifesaving treatment? Are they going to claim I don't have coverage even though I know that I have always made my payments on time and am current? I would NEVER NEVER recommend this insurance company to anyone. Poor to nonexistent customer service. Constant reasons to deny paying on claims submitted. A sham and a ripoff.

Original review: May 21, 2016

Before I get started I want to share a link to find your state's agency that regulates insurance companies so you can file a formal complaint. **. Also, Google your state legislators and contact them. If anyone knows of an attorney who specializes in class action lawsuits against large companies, please post that here too. Also contact any local newspapers or consumer advocacy groups and explain that you think this company has a widespread practice of abusive and possibly illegal practices toward consumers. If we each do our best, together we can get public attention focused on this problem.

My problem with UHC is that doctors are listed as in network on UHC website and are given to you when you call UHC as in network doctors, but when you try to see the doctors, they are not contracted with UHC. I spent hours trying to find a PCP who really would accept the insurance. He now needs to refer me to a specialist and I can't find one. I have talked to numerous people in the UHC customer service department who all promise to find a doctor and get back to me, including a supervisor, but they never do. When I called back and asked for the supervisor by name, they said they would get him, but left me on hold for 40 minutes. Now when I call, they hang up on me (you have to enter your insurance id and birth date on the phone tree, so they probably know it's me).

For the record, I have called and called and been left on hold for eternities, but I have never been rude or said anything but patiently asking over and over for a specialist, so there is no reason to avoid my calls. I was told by an employee who works for my son's former pediatrician (we can't go there now because they don't take UHC insurance, despite being listed on the UHC website as taking it) that UHC listed tons of doctors on their website as in network who had never signed contracts with them. One of the people I talked to at UHC said that the doctors were contracted, but refused to see patients because UHC kept the amounts they paid the doctor very low. Incidentally, many of the doctors do take United Healthcare's Choice plan which is not offered on healthcare.gov, but through employers.

I recently read in the Arizona Republic newspaper that United Healthcare will not offer plans on healthcare.gov next year because they lost a lot of money on these plans. I also had a protracted 2-month battle to get UHC to cover my autistic son's medications. It took two appeals and a request for an external review to get him his prescriptions.

Original review: May 18, 2016

United Health Care is a predatory business scam. They are not customer friendly and refused to place me with their supervisor. They are trying to extort me for over $200 & threatening with collectors.

Original review: May 17, 2016

UHC makes my blood boil. I FINALLY just resolved a claims issue that has been nagging at me since July of 2015. The customer service agents are pretty useless and can never resolve anything. I swear all correspondence customers send in just go straight to the trash. I have mailed and faxed in several claims and they continue to "lose" them or say they were never received. Weird! My $450 premium check every month was never once lost. I am lucky enough that no major illnesses occurred during the 7 months I had this horrible insurance. Because it is literally a second job to try to get anything with them figured out. All this hassle I had to go through for a $350 claim; I can't imagine the headache something bigger would have been.

Original review: May 17, 2016

I made the mistake of signing up for this one day a couple of years ago while standing in front of a food bank in Seattle. The claim was that it would help my medical situation. That was a total lie! I have been trying ever since then to "cancel" the account but they just refuse to do so. So, today, I let them know that I will just go to the VA Legal Department and ask for help and also write my senator, Senator Patty Murray, and report that they are harassing disabled veterans. DO NOT let them talk you into anything. They are a total scam. As soon as I signed up, I started getting massive bills that were covered prior to getting involved with them. They have nothing to offer you except grief.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: May 16, 2016

Engages in predatory and corrupt practices. While paying close to $2,000 per month for myself and my husband, the insurance has denied every claim. They did not pay for Emergency room visit because they didn't consider it to be critical. According to them I should NOT have had emergency surgery and should have instead died. When I went through routine procedures and check ups, they didn't cover the costs of treatments or medicine citing pregnancy is NOT covered. When I went through a specialist, again, they did not cover anything. They are a waste of money with the worst customer service who do not hesitate to hang up on you. They must be stopped!!!

Original review: May 12, 2016

It is time to stand up against this for profit healthcare organization which clearly does not give a damn about the people they provide a service for. This is a call to action. Anyone who has paid for any services not rendered by United Health Care please respond to this post! United Health Care took my $$$, then nullified my healthcare with no notice whatsoever while in the midst of a medical emergency!!! Read again!!! They billed me and took my money, premium and deductible payments from procedures done, then nullified my insurance!!! They did nothing to try to make it right until I threatened legal action, and they denied, denied, denied!!! These people are criminals and deserve to be taken to court! This is breach of contract to wit: services that were paid for and not rendered!! They lost records of the payments I made and were asking me for screenshots from my bank account!!!

As a healthcare company, United Health Care works in the capacity of fiduciary to its clients, yet this is clearly not the case as this for profit monster pays their ceo a whopping $66m a year salary! They continue to take advantage of those who don't know to speak out against misconduct and injustice! Join me and let your voice be heard! Seeking a CIVIL liberties attorney willing to work pro-bono to build a class action suit in Colorado and perhaps nationally vs united healthcare for breach of contract and failure to render services paid for. This could be a pivotal case given the political climate, and I believe I am not the only one to experience such an injustice! Please email: **, and tell us your story. Lawyers interested in representing this case please put "injunction" in subject line.

Original review: May 10, 2016

Let me just start by saying that both my sister and girlfriend have also had issues with UHC ranging from billing issues, to double coverage/ wrong coverage... I thought surely United Health Care can't be as terrible as I had heard from everyone. They offered a plan that was not as overpriced as some of the other insurance companies so I thought I'd roll the dice. Unfortunately you get what you pay for, and in this case it doesn't even apply to the health coverage.

I first paid the monthly premium in December 2015 to begin coverage for the 2016 year on a Bronze HSA plan and set up for payments to be auto drafted from my account. February rolled around and I notice that they overcharged me $51.96. I called and inquired about the overcharge and they stated that is the premium, for the plan I have. (It was not). Somehow they changed the plan that I signed up for and had me on a new more expensive plan that I did not choose.

I tried to change it back to the correct plan but they directed me to the marketplace (also a complete joke). The marketplace stated that either they or United Health Care made a mistake (neither company would shoulder the blame for the error) but the market place asked UHC to change the policy back to the correct policy. I thought everything was resolved, then I was overcharged another 51.96 for February. I called in and escalated to a supervisor to try and get something done, they apologized and said that I would have 103.92 refunded to my acct, and not to worry the confusion had been resolved. I checked on Aprils payment and it went back down to the proper amount owed so I assumed as it is a big poorly run company it might just take a while...

Now May rolls around, still debiting payments from my acct like clockwork, but I receive a notice in the mail about the other more expensive "Silver" plan that I never should have had which says, "We did not receive payment in time for the plan listed below. Your coverage and any dependent coverage ended on 2/29/2016". As this was supposed to be canceled and I shouldn't be receiving a notice like this I decided to take time out of my day to make sure everything was okay. That's when I found out that although UHC has been taking money out of my account since the beginning of the year every month that they dropped my coverage (THE CORRECT COVERAGE) last month due to non payment claiming that I owe them more money.

I am in the process of trying to get someone who is halfway intelligent with authority to do something to rectify the situation but unfortunately I am getting nowhere... I will keep trying and maybe have to get a lawyer involved but long story short BUYER BEWARE. Do not choose United Health Care, run in the other direction. I would say it is a miracle that they are even in business but improperly/overcharging their customers is one way to stay in business... P.S. I still haven't received the $103.92 they overcharged me from 3 months ago.

Original review: May 6, 2016

MDIPA agents are NOT ABLE TO PERFORM TASKS. On that premise, it is unclear exactly the root cause for that inability which could imply: a) agents are not trained on MDIPA data retrieval services; b) agents have never used the internet for basic research; c) the MDIPA system does not provide agents with correct functionality; d) MDIPA as a business is so inept that they don't believe they exist to serve customers, etc.

Here is my case: I held 2 out of state office visits and 1 out of state imaging visit (MRI) all were considered in network, with referral numbers presented by my local physician, and, included full assurance by the out of state doctors office that everything was covered, before I consumed any service. I returned back in-state and received an MDIPA claim report for several thousand dollars stating a denial of each of 3 out of state events. I began over 3 weeks ago calling MDIPA, setting up the problem to be resolved and letting them do their job.

Today was my 5th and 6th attempts where my patience ended for a number of reasons: a) MDIPA agents had limited to no knowledge of activities performed by other agents up to that point in time; b) MDIPA agents could not state the problem they were attempting to resolve; c) MDIPA agents were calling incorrect doctors offices, getting false information, and not questioning it and worse, resolving in their notes that my doctors out-of-state appointments never occurred, regardless of my receipts from visits and imaging orders offered to the contrary; d) MDIPA agents were completely inept at using the internet for basic searches to identify and locate doctors, their offices, so as to obtain correct phone numbers to resolve the problem; e) MDIPA agents had little to no idea what activities to resolve the problem that former agents had engaged in and/or resolved.

f) It is apparently the responsibility of the customer holding the policy to take personal time from their work day that has to be repaid, so as to perform MDIPA agents activities on behalf of MDIPA. Shouldn't that imply MDIPA should be paying me? g) Is it apparently the responsibility for customers to engage MDIPA agents in a uni-directional conversation given that MDIPA agents have never returned calls or seem to find it important to contact customers, etc.

One thing is clear - Something in MDIPA is COMPLETELY INEPT AND BROKEN. It is also CLEAR that they do not care to provide industry best practice (if any) for customers, yet, have no issues collecting high premium charges for services not rendered. As a seasoned IT-Data Center and Systems Engineering Professional, it is CLEAR that either MDIPAs training, or supporting IT services, or both are BROKEN and that their business offices are either DISENGAGED or UNCONCERNED with customer service and support.

Original review: May 4, 2016

United Health Care joined the NY Marketplace (Obamacare in New York State) without signing on any doctors to take the plan. They charged hundreds of dollars monthly to their customers but failed to persuade their providers to take the Marketplace plans. I was a member for 2 months. During that time I had 2 miscarriages because I was unable to get a prescription for my Thyroid disorder. You see, I couldn't find a doctor who would take my plan. There weren't any. In desperation, I found a navigator to help me select another insurance company. Please understand that I spent AT LEAST 16 hours on the phone with these people. AT LEAST 10 hours calling providers to see if they took the plan. AT LEAST 5 hours trying to find out what was actually going on.

I'm a very intelligent person. I get what I want. I find answers quickly. I'm not a pushover and I ask the right questions. Just think about people with less resources, less confidence? It doesn't end there. Just this past week, I tried to fill a prescription but United Health Care was showing up as my primary insurance at the pharmacy. After 8 hours of phone calls, the Marketplace, United Health Care and I got a on a conference call, wherein the Marketplace asked UHC why they thought I was currently enrolled when I hadn't made a payment in over 15 months. UHC was unable to answer the question. I spent 8 hours trying to get my medication. Again, I'm intelligent enough to get to to the bottom of things quickly. 8 hours. The people who run this company are criminals. They steal money from people like me. Don't let them steal yours.

Original review: May 3, 2016

Set up payment for March 2016 with credit card and United Health. Cancel the payment on 28th of February, 2016. Thus sending a computerized message to the Marketplace and my profile was cancel within Marketplace system as well! I regret signing up for United Healthcare. Now I have read the reviews on the company practices and lack of customer service. This is very poor representation of health care for United States! These are serious health issues and I experience waiting on the phone with a female representative giving me a male name (KEN) and placing me on hold for 40 minutes and did not return.

Before she placed me on hold, I asked her to repeat her name and she stated to me (KEN). So I repeated the name of (KEN) and spelled it out as I repeated the letters! She placed me on hold and never return. I ended up disconnecting the call and had to call back to speak to another representative. I have recorded the entire conversation with this representative (KEN) and if by any chance someone want to use this recording, please contact me so I can assist them with their matter!

Original review: May 2, 2016

I have had United Health Care since 2010. In 2012 I was let go from my job and went to cobra. In Sep 2014 I applied for individual coverage. I was approved, and it has been a nightmare ever since. They have closed my account at least 4 times, but don't bother to notify you for months and don't have a reason why. You spend days and weeks trying to understand why they somehow keep losing my payments, which are coming thru my bank, in an automatic bill payment.

For some reason, they can't find my checks. We have changed the date and the address now, but still they lose my checks, and tell my doctors I have been terminated, due to lack of payment. This seems to happen every time I go to the doctor. Last year they told me, outright, to go to another provider as they thought I could find individual coverage somewhere else less expensive. I pay close to 630.00 a month... Last yr they overcharged me and then wanted to credit my account for close to 700.00. It took months to receive my money back.

The stress and seriousness seems to not be an issue when you speak to a rep. Sometimes, they don't even have your file on their computer, or tell you, you have called the wrong 800 number, even though it is the one on their letterhead. How come the gov't allows this to go on? What can I do to file a complaint against them? I need assistance.

Original review: May 1, 2016

I have had United Health Care insurance since the beginning of 2015. I have always paid my health insurance payments, however, unfortunately, United Health Care never keeps their end by insuring me. All of 2015 I had to fight with them for every single visit. Each time I visited a doctor, the doctor was sent a letter to tell them I did not pay my premium and therefore the claim was denied. I had to escalate the issue and then they went back and credited my account. The blame game was going on... They said the marketplace (ObamaCare) did not send them over the payment I paid directly online. The marketplace said they did pay United Health Care premiums and they did not understand why it was not getting to my account properly. Luckily, I had not major issues with my health and so I ended up paying for insurance all year... But they just pocketed my money!

Going forward... 2016... was going to switch to Blue Cross, but my doctor was not covered under the plan so I was stuck with United Health Care as my only option. I decided to pay United Health Care directly each month for my premium payments. Well, March, I go to the doctor and have my mammo. Get letter and call that my health insurance was cancelled due to non payment again. They refused to pay the claim. 3 letters were sent out like this to my doctors as well as I was unable to get my prescription as they said I have no coverage, it had been cancelled.

I call United Health Care and... What do I learn??? Accidentally, Jan, Feb and Mar insurance payments were not posted to my account and the account was closed. As they researched, they found my payments but could not understand why it was not posting to my account. (I keep all of my confirmation codes when I pay now) and so they said they would start my plan over again. I had to re-enroll. They moved my payments over and said they would go ahead and pay the claims based on their error. They promised me it was all fixed. Went to doctor for annual physical, doctor informs me he is no longer my primary care so they will not pay insurance. He has been my primary for several years. Have to call again. Whoops they did not set him up on my account and assigned a random doctor when they re-enrolled me. Again, said it all fixed now and everything is working fine.

April 24, 2016. Get a letter that was sent to my primary physician stating "we received a claim for... for healthcare services, the patient is not current with her premium payments. This is to notify that if we do not receive payment by member within grace period, the claim will be denied and policy will be terminated."

I called United Health Care again. Asked to escalate to a manager to make a complaint. Was told, "sorry you must write your complaint and send it in to us. Can't talk to anyone on the phone. By the way, we are showing your insurance has been paid, but just not posting correctly to your account." So tired of this company. Please if you have had similar experiences, complain, write letters, tell everyone. This has to stop. They simply don't care about you!!! I wish someone would investigate this company.

Original review: April 29, 2016

I read all the complaints. All are correct! Referral has caused me more problems, physical & mental. Phone calls are useless. You do hold while agent gets a super that never comes into reality. If you want to know the 4 month nightmare, be glad to share. As far as using their meds, they are not my doctor & have no right telling me the cheaper one of theirs to use is just as good. Please don't buy into UnitedHealth, AARP or any name associated... very sad for us seniors.

Original review: April 27, 2016

Long Story Short: United Health Care has lost 1B dollars on Obama Care in the past year. In order to keep revenue up they have put a CAP on what they will PAY for services. Hospitals and Doctors are not accepting their low ball offer for payment so your bill is not being paid or accepted. My wife cannot find a doctor to treat her Bipolar in the State of Ohio. No Doctor will accept UNITED HEALTH CARE so we are paying out of pocket. Simply put you may health insurance but you DON'T have health care. Contact your state representatives and file a complaint... PLEASE.

Original review: April 25, 2016

I had a endoscopy done on Jan. 4th, 16 and due to consistent fever/inflammation for more than a couple of weeks. When called to the Customer care they told it is completely coverable by the insurance. I submitted for cashless claim and then said they need doctor prescription and couple of documents to approve, so requested to resubmit as reimbursement. Then after submitting they kept the claim on hold for couple months and after repeated follow-up, they closed the claim stating that it is an procedure and can't be claimed. Totally unethical!!!

Original review: April 21, 2016

My company switched to UHC from Coventry last year. I have received a letter in the mail every week from them trying to sell me on their home delivery prescription service. They're as bad as a credit card company. I tried to get my prescription transferred to a pharmacy closer to my work for convenience. They cancelled my Rx. The pharmacy said I had to call a 800 number and speak with my insurance about it. I was on hold for 30 minutes and had to verify with them that I indeed did not want their home delivery service. Now the pharmacy has to call my doctor and try to get the prescription renewed. And that's assuming that UHC doesn't block it again. It's a really good thing this is a mild Rx, and not something necessary for my life. I've been without medication for 3 days now, and I'm wondering how long this is going to go on. They're the worst.

Original review: April 21, 2016

Like many good ideas and institutions like Hospice, corporations ride on the good name. Such is the case of AARP and United Health. I quit being an AARP customer when I realized it was no longer fighting for my rights but the rights of United Health. Since AARP does not wish to do this, bye, bye AARP and UH.

Original review: April 20, 2016

I started with United Health Care on April 1. It's been an absolute nightmare. I was assigned a doctor after the first one canceled my appointment and then decided no longer to be with United Health Care. That put my appointment somewhere within the next two months because of this situation which was no doing of mine. Kept on telling them I need to see a doctor but they told me I was not eligible until May 1 even though it was their choosing to send me to a new doctor and their employee relationship with the old doctor was terminated. Told them I really needed to see a doctor because of nearly passing out. Emergency room doctor told me to see my primary care it was important.

But because of United Health Care lip service, I was told I couldn't and I was told I could and I was told I couldn't five calls later. One of the employees even told me that I needed to speak appropriately. I did not use any foul language, a bit irritated, but that maybe due to the fact that it's been two days and a lot of lip service without anything being ironed out. Today's hours on the phone and yes I mean hours. Something's finally been done so I've been told. Not quite buying it until I talk to my doctor, the one I've never gone to!

The problem is clear. They provide lots of lip service, lots of "yes ma'am we're doing our best" when it is apparently not what's going on. Bottom line: if my doctor can fix the problem, they make it go away and I would be safe to drive again. Don't you think it would cost them less than sending me to an emergency room?

If I were corporate I rethink this. They're not doing their investors any favors. They read a script. They don't understand the problem because they don't listen! I would change this if I got better treatment but so far like I said it's been an absolute nightmare. I'm telling everybody within earshot about my experience. I was literally put on hold for over 30 minutes at a time. My time is not valuable to this company, therefore, I am not. One really wonderful employee had taken care of this call the next day to set up an appointment and it wasn't in their systems. Nobody knew what I was talking about so you might think they would communicate but they don't.

They literally wanted me to visit the emergency room every time I had a problem instead of taking care of the problem. By the way, that cost me $70 every time I make a visit. Question is if I were in an accident due to this condition and they had to spend much more money where is the savings in that? I'm a healthy individual according to the doctor at the emergency room. I have a great heart, kidneys, and liver! He felt it was probably something minor that can be

handled. I agree but not handled. It becomes a problem.

United Health Care is inefficient in every way possible at this moment in my life. I have a suggestion: if signing up for health care do not go with United, back away from the desk and run. These people do not treat you well. They are not concerned about your well-being. I have the horrible feeling that collecting your money is their first goal and seeing you in a pine box might be their second. I am not kidding. It was a scary experience!!!

Original review: April 20, 2016

I had a colonoscopy done 3/18/16 and it was to be covered at 100% as preventative; this includes anesthesia, and anything bill that had to do with this procedure. As of today, they have not paid everything and I am getting bills for this procedure. I have called United Health Care several times about this and was told they will resubmit the claim and they would call me back. They have not called back or taken care of this issue. It shows all claims processed when I log into my United Health Care account but they still have not paid these bills. The customer service is extremely bad.

Original review: April 19, 2016

Worst insurance company ever! I don't even understand how this company is still in business. Nothing but problems. They denied my claim even though they sent me prior authorization. When I asked what the authorization was for I was told it was to have the procedure. I do NOT need their permission to have a procedure done. That does not make any sense. Now they sent another denial but with the doctor billed under another name I have never even heard of. What a crock.

Original review: April 15, 2016

It is now the middle of April since my January appt and they will not pay my claim. I didn't have my cards or FSA because they didn't send them on time. So, I paid cash. I sent them a fully itemized invoice saying all that was done and that I paid up front. They harassed my doctor and myself and still haven't paid. I lost my temper in emailing them and they passive aggressively responded every time with something snarky like "hope you're having a great day" when I obviously was super frustrated and upset. The kicker now... they still haven't paid and are stating that they may bill me. TERRIBLE COMPANY. INCOMPETENT and DANGEROUS.

Original review: April 15, 2016

My mom recently passed away, and in going through all her paperwork, I discovered that she had United Health Care as her insurance. I wish she would have told me this because I would have warned her not to use this company due to their horrible reputation. Anyway, I phoned UHC to let them know my mom had passed away and asked them to please cancel her account. They informed me that before they'd do this, I needed to provide them a copy of her Death Certificate (which I could easily do), and that I also needed to provide proof that I was the Executor of her "estate". I told them that I could send them a copy of her attorney prepared, legally done and notarized will, which states that I am her only child and that I was indeed the executor of her "estate". I also told them that my mom had no "estate" to speak of, considering that she had lived in a small rental unit and had no car, but they didn't care about this.

The woman I was speaking to informed me that UHC would NOT accept a copy of the will, and that if I wanted to cancel her account and stop their billing, I'd need to go to court and get either a "Letter of Testamentary" or a "Letter of Administration". My husband and I don't have the money to see an attorney or to pay for one of these documents. Because of this, UHC won't even close her account! My mom is deceased, and yet UHC wants to keep her account OPEN! These people are unbelievable! I can't stand UHC and I've already warned everyone I know not to do business with them. If you're a senior and you use this unconscionable company, your heirs are going to have nothing but trouble when you pass away! Do them a huge favor and get different health insurance. I can't believe AARP even sponsors this company!

Original review: April 14, 2016

When my upper molar CROWN broke over a year ago my provider requested service approval. The affected surfaces are occlusal and mesial. There's a huge gap between the broken PFM crown and the adjacent tooth. I started getting food impaction, constant pain in the gum, frequent subgingival infections and inflammation. According to UHC customer service rep I have dental coverage. My provider's initial request for service was denied, an appeal was denied. Reason: insufficient evidence of decay. There's no tooth decay. It's a PFM! But the numbskulls in dental review department can't seem to understand by looking at clear pictures made by in intraoral camera my provider submitted.

I called UHC dental department and made an emergency appeal over the phone. Denied for the same reason. I asked for the name(s) and location of the incompetent responsible parties who denied treatment to file a complaint with their local board of dentistry, but UHC refused to provide that information. My only option is to go to a dangerous city where I would not go under any circumstances and appeal in some court or write a letter to some stupid clueless government entity, which will not resolve my problem.

At the same time another old implant crown broke. Same story - food impaction, losing gum and bone. According to UHC I have once in a lifetime benefit and the implant crown can be replaced. Provider requests treatment, UHC denies, reason unknown/not listed. Provider negotiated a very low fee $$$$$ with UHC and does not want to appeal.

I have chronic back pain. Until last year my primary doctor could request MRI. Not anymore. Now I need to get x-ray, then physical therapy. I had zero improvement after therapy, I refuse x-ray, it will not show anything. What's the point of having medical coverage if this business constantly denies procedures. Meanwhile I still get frequent gum infection, guzzle peridex, losing bone and will eventually lose my implants due to food impaction. I'm going to drop this idiotic United Somethingcare and don't want any coverage at all, thanks to their idiotic dentists that deny treatment. I do not recommend U B.S. C.

Original review: April 13, 2016

The insurance company play phone games. They are liars and time wasters. They continuously send me a card with a dr. that is not in network. They say it's the Dr office that needs to update and the Dr. Offices say it's the insurance co. I called to get a primary care dr.. again. Mine fell out of network in Nov! Meaning they haven't been paid by ins. Co for almost 2 years... so I was given many doctors that were supposedly verified and turns out no they don't take the ins, some for over 5 years now and not in same locations. A lot of times there is no such person at the office or at United Health Care because they lie and read that I'm sorry script. They do not give you a supervisor, they have fun doing these games.

Anyway, the insurance co with me on the phone called a dr and the girl said they take the ins. "And new patients, we welcome you..." she said. The insurance person just disappeared and I made my appt and gave my info to the office girl. A week later I called to see if I can get my husband with high blood pressure an appointment when I have mine. "Oh sure no problem and be sure to get the Dr. Name on card", that's all the doctor's offices care about that card and paperwork. Paperwork pertaining to insurance not your medical stuff of course. I called ins co. They said no problem but they are not in network so they can be updated by having them call the credential line or an online submission. So me as the patient have to get this done = again.

So doctor office was lost and confused and didn't know what to do so I actually gave her the credentials number that I got from UHC, which as a patient shouldn't even have! 2 days before the appt. Dr office twit calls and says "I didn't hear from insurance company so you can come in but it won't be covered." I told her "don't worry I spoke to a supervisor that handled it all, even the card are on the way." I called ins co, no Jessica as a supervisor even exists. I get different supportive supervisor that says Jessica said that dr and credentials are fine and "your all set cards are on the way too." They assured my appointments a go since I told them be sure because my husband and I are zipping there during his work day.

Well I got there and the cow behind the desk took my card and gave me info to fill out then was like, "o when did you make your appointment", so I told her "you know darn well it's been weeks and please don't do this circle talk to me again because by the way I am the patient and I actually been very very sick lately." She says really wise to who was standing next to her, in their cake clutch of 5, she's not gonna let me talk. I asked what she needs me to do now (for this part time job I gained), so she said "o well I didn't hear from insurance company and that's their job to update from here." So I wasted my time again. Called ins co. and they say there's no Jessica ** again and that doc hasn't been in network since last year because it's up to the Dr office to do that. Same story different day! No call back with a provider all day though they said they were calling back in an hour.

I call - they say a whole different doctor that 2 weeks ago wasn't in network, supposedly also... "that's the Dr on your cards assigned to you as of today." This is a bunch of circle jerks. They are getting paid to amuse themselves with these games instead of doing their jobs. They got paid for the aggravation, I just get more headaches. I don't feel any of the doctors even care how their office staff handles things. If they put down the cake and gossip and weren't afraid to do something, it would help. Healthcare, yea sure!!??

Updated on 04/19/2016: Since the last post I was given a primary care Dr. that United called and had me on the phone at same time again to make appointments for my husband and myself. So I made his appointment and held off on mine because I didn't like the reviews on the place. He was to see the Dr. but when I called to confirm it I was told he was seeing a Patricia. Anyway he waited for over an hour in what sounded like a zoo when he called me from there saying they are even taking walk-ins but telling him nothing except they don't have a room for him. Turns out I called there when he got home and the Dr's wife is the receptionist and told me Patricia didn't get into work yet!

Another wasted trip, time and money from work again. I find another Dr. finally that's in network and not too far. Great, I call UHC, let them know I found a Dr. definitely in network for primary care Dr. She tells me, "Yea, you can't change your husband's Dr. and there shows actually no relation and consent for you on his insurance that the girl this morning yesterday and the other 600 reps over the past five years weren't supposed to let me handle his insurance!" So they look to find a problem obviously because that authorization form was signed from day one, five years ago and I never ever had a problem calling on his behalf. The reps actually laugh in my ear and do the "I'm sorry for your trouble" script. Watch out for this company and AARP who I learned is affiliated with them. I think the reps laugh because they know they are getting paid for this aggravation that they think is funny and they do not have this insurance themselves. Health "care"??!

Original review: April 13, 2016

My financial counselor said that my procedure was covered based on the UHC's Policy that she read online. So, she submitted for me to have this procedure authorized and it came back denied. UHC could not give a reason. They said that the policy that the financial counselor read online was "in error." It made no sense, so I have wasted much of my time calling UHC and was transferred to a few different people. Even the clinic member could not give me an explanation. So she said she would send this off to a case manager. It's been two weeks and I have not heard from anyone. I really don't think their own employees even understand their own policy. I am extremely disappointed and has caused much stress in my life. It's all about making money these days for these big corporations. Customer service is always last.

Original review: April 12, 2016

Health coverage was to start on 1/1/16 did not get put into their system until 1/15/16 and did not receive my cards from them until 1/16/16. Had a prescription filled on 1/4/16 that would have cost $12.76, however due to not having insurance card was charged as if I did not have insurance at the price of $69.99. Requested over the phone and in writing reimbursement of $57.23 which was denied by the Resolutions Dept. Numerous calls to UnitedHealth One and each call I was on hold for 20-30 minutes before reaching a person. Terrible customer service.

Original review: April 9, 2016

I decided to try United Health Care because they seemed to offer the best policy. True the deductible was much lower than the other major insurer offered. I remembered my grandma had used them and liked them. That was before all the healthcare requirements. I applied and gave them the first payment info. I never heard from them - no insurance card, no bill, nothing. I tried to access their online site. It says I do not have access and I must call. No one could find my policy.

Today they said I never paid the premium. I said I gave info. They don't have it. They said they sent all the insurance information to my address. I said "Did you send it to (address)?" They said "That's not what we have." I said "That is my address." The girl argued with me. I asked if they had my address from last year, before I moved. "That was not it." I asked what they had. They said they couldn't tell me. I told them I never got any info. They said they sent it. I said "Not to me. You didn't!"

I was told to go to the affordable healthcare site and change my address. I said the aca had my correct address and could I change it now. I was told no, I HAD to do it on the affordable site. I would not be allowed to access their site and they could not change my address unless that site sent them the info. I cannot pay them online with no access. She refused my payment since my address is incorrect. I can't find out where they sent my info. I am ready to just give up on them and I haven't even gotten to the point of a doctor yet! This has been a nightmare!

Original review: April 7, 2016

On the UHC website, I researched several doctors to use under the Compass Balanced plan through healthcare.gov. The bronze plan I chose did not have my current doctors but I thought I could get by with the doctors I saw on the website. The individual plan is $685/month - NOT CHEAP. When I tried to make annual check up appointments, I found out that none of the doctors that I found on the UHC Compass Balanced website actually take that plan! The famous bait and switch routine!

The most infuriating thing is that because of the ACA imposed upon us by the dictator in chief & Pelosi, I cannot change plans even though I am disgusted with this plan. This is how the ruling party treats the minions, like slaves that have no brain to think for ourselves or demand good service or we will switch to another provider or at least a better plan. If I am unhappy with my home or auto insurance, I am free to shop at will. If I am incredibly unhappy with my healthcare plan, I am NOT free to shop until the next 'open period'. What a rip off the ACA is - to the participants and the American taxpayer who has to pay for this crock of mess.

Original review: April 7, 2016

My wife needs a spinal fusion. MRI results provides proof along with a Neurosurgeon with 15 years experience - they say it's not needed - they don't want to pay for the surgery. They will not say why or who made this decision - it could be anyone, who knows? She is becoming dependent on narcotics to be able to dress herself etc. United Health Care is the worst company we have ever dealt with. NEVER EVER choose them for your insurance company. There is NO Governmental Agency to police these companies - we are screwed.

United Health Care Company Information

www.uhc.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business