Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.78/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

United Health Care Reviews

Original review: April 3, 2018

In 2009 a Dr. ** was operating as an Oral Surgeon in Phoenix, AZ. Around that same time he closed his office and left AZ to continued his practice in UT. His website lists him as operating at the following locations: 3648 W 9800 S South Jordan, UT 84095, 485 N Market Place Drive Centerville, UT 84014, 275 W 200 N #175, Lindon, UT 84042, 1434 E 4500 S #202, Salt Lake City, UT 84117. NONE IN ARIZONA!

In 2010 the phone number previously used by Dr. ** office was given to another local Phoenix business. Since that time United Healthcare has been calling repeatedly and although I have informed them each and every time they call to please update their records, to date they have not. As a matter of fact, I am writing this because in the last week they have contacted my office 3 separate times, even though we have requested numerous times that they remove our phone number from their system.

We have patients contacting us, patients needing to schedule appointments, etc. It is not only unprofessional, but highly alarming that after EIGHT years, dozens upon dozens of requests to update their records and still patients are unable to locate a healthcare provider because of United Healthcare continually refusing to update their provider roster.

What if a UHC client was calling to schedule an appointment and gave their "personal information" out to the individual that UNITED HEALTHCARE referred them to call? Could it possibly be a bad situation for the patient to provide personal information to a random individual? United Healthcare is aware this is not the correct number, they are aware that this Dr is not practicing here, yet they are still negligent in updating the records. I wonder how many other phone numbers on their roster are incorrect. Alarming to say the least with all this identity fraud going on! They should take more care to protect their clients. PLEASE REMOVE the listed phone number on the associated AZ record from your records PLEASE!!!

Original review: April 3, 2018

The first page received from Golden Rule A United Healthcare Company started with the words "Thank you for your application for insurance". Further down the page it read "call us at 1-800-657-8205". I called twice that number. The first time, the voicemail claimed I had a 30 minute wait time. I thought I would call back later in the day so approximately 1:30 pm ET, I called the number again. I held patiently for 70 minutes with no live person just music. This is no way to operate a business in the Health Insurance Industry. I really have serious doubt about the legitimacy of this company now and have even called my representative whom sold me this insurance leaving her a voicemail about my concerns.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I had a heart attack March 3rd 2018 and my doctor put in a stent. Called United Health to try and get me a life vest and said I needed one because I am at risk of a sudden cardiac arrest. They refused it. Then they would not pay for my ** or **. Switched it to a new cheaper brand of insulin which the ** was working great but no they switch it to ** which my sugar is still running high. Then my doctor had me on ** for a month. Had me stable and United refused to cover it. Told my cardiologist to switch my med to something else so it got switched to ** which I haven't gotten yet 'cause I need to talk to Dr because it has sulfur in it and I am allergic to sulfur. I am sick and tired of my meds being changed when I am stable and tolerating a med well and because another med's cheaper. They refuse to cover what docs prescribe. What? I have no say in my care or my meds?

So I guess if I die my children will have a lawsuit? I get UHC through the state. Why does it matter though. My health should matter first and foremost. I stopped going to Drs and taking meds for a year 'cause I was tired of my insulin being switched and it cost me a heart attack which yea my fault there but my previous Dr was thinking I wasn't taking my meds and I was then but the meds they switched me to was not helping. This is sad and a shame. No value for human life at all. Shame on you UHC.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I used to have Cigna which by are amazing but I got married and got on my husband's insurance who have UHC as the carrier for all medical, dental and vision. I'm extremely disappointed at their customer service when I've asked for help. They don't care. The worse for any help! Their response is do it yourself response instead of helping by contacting the doctor's office to get the coding corrected or help locate a provider that's in network instead of directing me to their website. They are just terrible! I'll never use them again and will definitely go back to Cigna!

Original review: March 30, 2018

Optum Behavioral Heatlh - I didn't know this company existed until I received a letter from them a couple days ago. The letter said they noticed I didn't cash a reimbursement check for $65 and to sign the piece of paper and return it. Went on to say "if you need more information to contact them at "Member services or Provider services" dept. NO PHONE #.

There was no Member #, no TAX ID #, no Group # or Provider # posted on the form. I located a number on Google which showed Utah State. I called the #, and they gave me another #. Of course this is after all the darn prompts - you know the ones, "before I can help you further please select from the following ..." And forced to select an option. Surprise, after selecting an option another one "before I can help you further..." And more options. Finally, I get to a live person in "Claims dept" and he tells me I need to speak with the billing dept as he is unable to locate any info by the Check #.

He transferred me to what I thought was the "Billing dept" only to have been transferred to the "WEB team" lol. Now 20 minutes has gone by. I finally said, "I m done. If you don't have a signed check showing cashed by me, and it's been since 5/17/17 when you issued it to me, good guess I didn't get it. Anyway, I DO NOT RECOMMEND this company, if they can't help the customer aside from giving them the runaround, how can they possibly run their business sufficiently. Secondly, they are outsourced, and one support person named Kajurrie said he couldn't understand me. Wow!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: March 29, 2018

I work in healthcare field - This has to be THE WORSE company when it comes to responding to reconsiderations! Some woman named Lissette that does the reconsiderations for UHC I had never spoken to her until I started leaving bad surveys - they closed recons, do not send denial letters, then when you try and fight it they upheld it even though by LAW they are untimely - I wouldn't recommend anyone doing business with them!!!

Original review: March 29, 2018

I had a C-section because my baby was breech. UHC denied paying my claim for the anesthesiologist because they were Out Of Network. I went to an In Network hospital and did not expect to have to check benefits on every person that treated me, nor did I have time. I had no choice in who performed my spinal block. It doesn't even look like any anesthesiologists are In Network at my hospital. I appealed the claim twice and was denied both times.

They also say I am not eligible for an external review, so I can't even appeal to the state. The anesthesiologist won't negotiate either. No one should have to worry about this when they go to an In Network Hospital. If you have United Healthcare, use caution before going to a hospital for any services. They will not cover anything Out of Network. I wish I had known, although I don't think it would have mattered. I still had to have a spinal block either way. Something must be done to end this surprise billing.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Worked for a few small things. Promised coverage for medical expenses now I'm responsible for payments. What is the point of having insurance then? Seeking reimbursement has been a surreal exercise in wild goose chases, jumping through hoops, sending and resending paperwork with no results. Being put off, stories changed, requirements changed even hung up on now by "customer service." Avoid this company. Organized crime.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I recently received another rate hike from United Health Care on my premium. The claim for the increase: "health costs have increased, so we need to adjust our rates". Personally, I am 50 and perfect health. I have no claims, never have had. Perfect health is what I can claim. I was encouraged by United Healthcare 6 months ago to lower my premium by increasing my deductible. Within 6 months my premium went back up to what it was, + another $25. When I called to ask about this increase, they said there was nothing they could do. No explanation. No other program to offer me. Nothing. I am grandfathered in from an old Golden Rule premium. It is clear the United Healthcare and any other carrier will be looking to squeeze as much out of us on our current premium, or squeeze us out of a grandfathered program.

Six months ago, United Healthcare had an opportunity to help me with my premium, to make me a customer and build some trust. Instead, they chose to raise my deductible, save me $50 a month for 6 months, then come back and recoup the money 6 months later. I have no say in this. The rate is locked in for one year thanks to Obama Care and the thoughtlessness of the loopholes built for insurance companies. United Healthcare said they did not have a plan for a 51 year old single woman who owns her own business, that I needed to seek an insurance agent and find new insurance. I ask you, is that good business practice?

Original review: March 27, 2018

Nothing comes out and grabs me about the pricing or the service except United Health Care has improved on the robotic voice. I have no complaints but it seems they take a very long time to approve billing. I use Vanderbilt and they may be the problem with that. It does seem there is not much of a discount when I use their clinics.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Besides long wait times on the line when making phone calls, I had an experience recently that makes me think the UHOne is not reliable in term of providing necessary information to its clients. I purchased a HSA health plan in 2013 and since I was not familiar with that system and had been receiving almost zero information after that, I thought there would be monthly contributions automatically transferred into my HSA account. After almost four years when I canceled my plan due to some other problems, I realized that it was "HSA compatible" and there were no account and no contributions in the past 4 years!!!

I do not want to accuse anybody, but I feel there is an intention to mislead the people by not providing detailed information. If you are seeking a good plan with an affordable/reasonable premium, I do not recommend UnitedHealthOne/GoldenRule at all, unless you are well-aware of the health insurance system in the U.S. and are able to raise questions about everything necessary right at the beginning of process.

Original review: March 25, 2018

United Healthcare fulfills my needs. I like the low co-pays due at time of service and promptness with paying claims. Due to United Healthcare coverage, I have continued to use this carrier for a number of years (with no complaints).

Original review: March 24, 2018

Do not get this health coverage as they don't cover much and if you have a question or concern through their customer service, they will put you on hold for an hour. I tried to cancel my healthcare and when I finally got to an agent about canceling my policy, they just said, "you want to drop us just like that?" Then hung up. Worst coverage I've ever had. I may consider suing.

Original review: March 23, 2018

We have had some rather large health bills this year and they have always paid and no questions asked. I have had to call customer service several times and they are always so polite and take a lot of time to help you. Their mail order pharmacy is outstanding and has saved us a great deal of money. I could not say enough good things about United Health Care.

Original review: March 22, 2018

This is the worst insurance ever!!! I had Spinal Surgery on Dec. 19, 2017, covered under BCBS and after Dec 31, 2017, United Health Care was now the insurance. All care continued from Surgery including PT and Dr visits were denied because I did not have a referral with United Health Care to see my surgeon and to continue PT. So I was expected to go back to my PCP after Dec 31, 2017 and get a referral to see the Surgeon and if they are out of network or in network, regardless of this pre-existing care, they WILL NOT PAY!! I have tons of uncovered bills and had to stop therapy because I could not afford to pay out of pocket.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Prices and co-pays have regularly gone up each year. Dental rider is minimal and does not cover expensive dental surgeries at all. Paid almost $3000 for gum disease work this year.

Original review: March 21, 2018

The staff is very knowledgeable concerning the details of my coverage; whenever I've had a question they were able to answer it immediately or refer me to another helpful source.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have United Health Care medical insurance through my employer. Unfortunately I was talked into selecting the high deductible option by my company's HR department. That is my own fault. But according to all of the information for my plan, my plan covers, in full, IUD treatment. I have a medical diagnosis that requires IUD treatment. But United Health Care will not approve my claim because I have medical diagnosis and it is not a claim for contraception. I have been told I will have to pay well over $700 for my IUD, which I cannot afford. On top of that, every time I call their customer service number I am given the runaround and excuses like there are duplicate claims for the IUD and I need to track down were both IUD's claim orders were shipped too. It is absolutely ridiculous customer service! And the truth is, a medical diagnosis should take more precedence as covered, preventative care than contraception.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I became very sick with RA/Fibromyalgia. I am a mother of three and a licensed precessional counselor. I finally had to quit my beloved career this year. This company denies claims and makes you fight constantly to get a claim paid. They have denied medication for over a year that my doctor prescribed to help me with RA. I have failed on medication they suggest first, I now have a golf ball size lump on my temple and one on my throat. I have jumped through all the hoops, but even as sick as I’ve become they still won’t pay for the medicine my doctor prescribed instead suggest cheaper medication.

I have appealed so many times and my doctors have fought for me, but they deny deny deny and have doctors that don’t know me sign off on it suggesting “step therapy” in the benefit plan requires I fail on more drugs THEY choose. They want to dictate your medical care without knowing you based upon lining their pockets at the expense of our lives. I could write ten paragraphs about it, but apparently this is a known problem from things I see other people posting on their website. I have saved all my documentation and I hope one day someone will investigate/expose this sham of an insurance company and their fraudulent policies that harm their consumers.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Very happy with coverage. Customer service always helpful and able to assist me. Wait time is short. Covered all my needs. I had United Health Care Community Plan in Michigan.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I have been screwing around for 2 1/2 months trying to get my husband's wellness exam paid. We both go to the same medical group, however I got to one campus and he goes to a different campus. My claim was paid, in network, his is out of network. All their campuses use the same tax ID number. But the names of the different sites are a little different. All under the same tax ID number that I have been told is and IN NETWORK tax number. 5 phone calls from me. 3 different stories. 1 phone call from the biller, which she was told it would be all taken care of within 72 hours. That was a week and half ago, still not paid. The last phone call I made last Friday the Resolution Specialist promised he would leave a voicemail on my biller's phone because she was off last Friday. I just checked with her, she got my voicemail but didn't get UHC... Big surprise there. I even provided the phone number for him.

This is the most stressful, frustrating insurance company I have ever dealt with. And you promote good health??? The money we spend for your insurance is outrageous and as soon as we can find other insurance we will be leaving your company. This isn't the first go round with UHC, just the first time I've said anything. The next goes to the Attorney General, BBB, and the MI Insurance Board.

Original review: March 18, 2018

We, the people, are stuck. Congress and the help are treated like kings and we are peasants. With changing tiers we cannot go across state lines. The prices compared to what I sometimes get from Canada are highway robbery.

Original review: March 15, 2018

My insurance carrier was changed to United Health Care by my former employer (I am retired). My primary care Dr. does not have UHC. Needed new Dr. who takes plan. Representative gave me name of Dr. in my town. When I looked up the Dr., found that her primary practice was 50 miles south of me, the telephone number belonged to another person and the address was for Walgreens Pharmacy. Called UHC and was advised that this Dr. practices at times at the Walgreens clinic. Really? Do you want a primary care physician whose main office is 50 miles away and allegedly also sees patients at the Walgreens Clinic? Advised that while eventually they would pay claims to Drs. Who do not accept UHC I would need to pay out of pocket and file for reimbursement myself. Certainly glad I am retired and apparently have nothing else to do.

Original review: March 14, 2018

My wife is terminally ill with pancreatic cancer. Recently she was hospitalized for severe pain & nausea. We are given a prescription for ** 50 mg. It was denied by OptumRX. When inquired about I was told that United Health Care that they denied it. I am now in my 3rd day of trying to get this prescription OKd. I keep getting told to call Optum, they tell me to call UH... Needless to say NOTHING has been accomplished! It's very frustrating that my terminally ill wife needs this prescription & she treated like a criminal or drug addict. Buyer beware!!

Original review: March 14, 2018

I am a young adult (female) on a company sponsored insurance plan through United Health Care. UHC advertises preventative care contraceptives to be fully covered under my plan. When I went to refill my prescription of ** a generic contraceptive prescribed by my doctor, the pharmacy told me I had a balance due. I called UHC and was told all contraceptives are only covered if you submit an appeal. I was then given a fake fax number, which I was later told they don't have a fax number. Therefore, I paid for postage to mail the appeal (the only way to submit an appeal to UHC is by mail). I spoke with a rep who walked me through the process of writing the letter and stating I don't need a doctor's note, I just need to explain the medical necessity of contraception (which seems obvious as a young woman in child-bearing years).

I explained human anatomy to them in the simplest terms I could think of and called back four weeks later after not hearing anything back. I was told the appeal was denied and I would need to submit a second level appeal including a doctor's note stating the medical necessity. The prescription to any rational human being should constituted proof of medical necessity (Doctors are not generally known for writing prescriptions to patients who do not need them). Bottom line is that UHC advertises in our plan that contraception is fully covered as a preventative care on the insurance plan. However, I attempted to have this generic prescription covered (which was advertised as fully covered), and then I submitted the appeal, and now the appeal has been denied.

UNITED HEALTH CARE IS A CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION AND SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED AGAIN BY THE DOJ. They have given false information in writing on multiple occasions (my chat history with the reps is a lawsuit in itself), they have falsely advertised to fully cover preventative care when this is not true even with an appeal being mailed into them. If my company did not use this plan I would never do business with them. I think the one-star rating on Consumer Affairs speaks for itself! UHC lacks ethical integrity and is engaging in criminal activity. This is fraud and should be investigated by the DOJ.

Original review: March 13, 2018

United Health Care AARP Medicare Advantage Plan 2 - On 1/31 my PCP initiated orders for replacement of my deteriorating CPAP machine. It went downhill from there. He didn't know what Medicare required and he and his office let it hang in the air for a week. When the vendor they referred me to called me to say they did not serve United HealthCare I called and spent 2 hours on UHC's cust service line who referred me to another vendor. They never contacted me, week 2 gone. I called the USC rep who told me that 1st vendor was the correct one. Called them and they said MD prescription was wrong and not fillable. MD disagreed. Again with another USC rep who finally recommended getting referral for a new sleep apnea test to comply with Medicare regs.

Week 3 done as my sleep deteriorates. PCP refers me to a sleep lab who referred me to their specialist before my appointment only to be called 2 days before the test they did NOT accept UHC... You guessed it. I lost another week. Then found a sleep lab who DOES accept UHC. Got test done. Diagnosed severe sleep apnea (I knew this as I have used CPAP 5 yrs). Now hoped the Pulmonary specialist would order machine. But no, he needed to see me face to face before he could order machine. Min you do I'm out $100 ridiculous co-pays. See MD, office sends new orders and support documents. Call back vendor next day... They denied receiving orders (Though MD had confirmation from Preferred Homecare). Call the vendor who says not received. Called UHC rep, 50 min hold and then disconnect.

3/13 and still no machine or recourse. UHC reps just make up things and never really resolve anything. Some good elements in a plan that is imploding on itself. You'll spend more with other plans but AARP UHC will leave you high and dry. I'm an RN and have worked the system 35yrs. I've never been so ashamed of my colleagues and their sheer hubris to lie and fail their patients. We are in trouble my friends. Caveat emptor! God help me if I was a frail individual who depended on the ethics and diligence of people in this Health HMO in AZ. Will leave UHC at first opportunity.

Original review: March 13, 2018

My big problem is with the pharmaceutical coverage. The tier system of covering the meds makes it difficult to see any benefit of having the coverage.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I had a terrible problem with Hi-Health Innovations Hearing Aid, a subsidiary of UHC, that was sold to my brother who has a UHC Medicare Advantage Health Care Plan. He was charged $565.00 for a hearing aid mold and a poorly manufactured hearing aid. The mold broke off of the aid and Hi-Health Innovations wanted $130.00 to replace the mold. The hearing testing results conducted by hearing aid dealers, not Audiologists did not reflect the results when a battery of tests was performed by a licensed Audiologist performed in an acoustic enclosure. An accurate battery of tests is essential in order to select the right hearing aid. My brother was never given any option to purchase any aid other than the one BTE aid UHC was selling. There was minimal support for the UHC purchased aid.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Prescription was my complaint. The Donut hole leaves a lot to be desired. Probably going to change next year. I don't like my medication being held hostage. I don't understand that I am trying to get better.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Zero stars for demanding PA for birth control. Crappy company obviously trying to save $ for stock holders by emphasizing short term gains. Does the CEO need another private jet? "United Health CEO's compensation swells in 2016 to $17.8 million. United Health Group CEO Stephen Hemsley made $17.8 million in total compensation in 2016 for running the nation's largest health insurance company. Apr 21, 2017". Shame on all board members who create this climate of $ before patients! This is why we need single payer system. We will be switching to BCBS who at least doesn't need PA for BCPs!

United Health Care Company Information