Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
3.00/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

United Health Care Reviews

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

My son has Medicaid and he had an appointment to be seen by his dentist. We don't have dentists nearby that accept Medicaid so I had to schedule transportation services, considering that I'm disabled myself and that the facility where we had to go is an hour away. So I did, I called Medicaid and they booked the service for the right day. However, they called me back the next day to tell me that I had to book it through United Health Care and that's when my nightmare started. So I called United and they told me that because it was not a medical emergency, they couldn't book the trip, that it was too late. I explained to Dotty ** and Becky ** that the delay was because I was not given the right information and that I couldn't reschedule the appointment for a near date, considering that they take forever to schedule an appointment for Medicaid patients.

I also explained to them that even it's not a life threatening event, my son has a real problem with his teeth and that he also had already a cavity but they just didn't care at all. I'm changing my son out of United Health Care because they are actually United We Don't Care. All their customer service people are trained to not give their names and their service is all but caring. Very horrible and frustrating experience. That's when you see a different treatment when you're a disabled person who sadly depends on Medicaid.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Here is the corruption/scam schema. Beware! When they rips off people, when they get into Emergency situation, what makes it even more unethical and outrageous. I used the United Health Care website to find "in-network" hospital and selected it for the visit. After I've got a bill, I found that 3 doctors were charged/billed as "out-of-network". In this case, the United Health Care covered only the maximum allowable, applicable for their "in-network" doctors and made me responsible to pay the rest of the bill, so that I had to pay something like $500 more, than I was supposed to!

All attempts to appeal within a company failed. UHC ** me that repeating that "we processed it correctly", chronically ignoring the part that they lied that the facility is not fully "in-network". I requested an external appeal and they simply said that they are not dealing with it and advised me to use a private lawyer. So, why am I supposed to be responsible for this? They didn't say any kind of information that the facilities which they list as "in-network" can still have "out-of-network" doctors. I believe they simply don't want to pay them and this is how they do this "optimization" of their expenses. The most outrageous part is that they do that to patients, which are in emergency situation and have no way to check status of each doctor, as well as I found this totally illogical that why their "in network" hospitals have "out of network" doctors.

And what is a point of medical insurance in this case, if some doctors can be easily out of network and you can't control it, since you are in emergency situation? What if 50% or 75% of doctors can be "out of network" in their facilities which this list as "in network"??? It's a new way Americans found how to scam and rip off people, so that more and more people get unexpected expenses and would be stuck with huge bills and get into debt. How I hate United States, that there is no protection for people from this scam/corruption and I no longer want to live here. I am shocked how far the system went scamming people like that! Got to hell!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I tore my left hamstring, no in-network orthopedic doctors will see me, due to no in-network doctor treats torn hamstrings. 4 weeks so far, UHC keeps denying the referral to go out of network for me to get treated, due to, "Doctor is out of network". They are sooooo stupid. So basically... They are denying me medical treatment. If they do not have any in-network doctors to treat me, they MUST approve me to go out of network and pay for it... But they keep giving me the runaround. So now I just live on pain pills... Gee, maybe I will get addicted and then I can also sue them for that!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I just joined UHC because of AARP recommendation. Sadly have come to realize AARP is only a sales vehicle. I am new to Medicare and the "system". All I, to date, have attempted to do was to establish doctors in my new city. Easy task: right? The UHC web site is antiquated (sorry: "we have been having problems") and the information once you get to it is out of date. The list of doctors (including the one they put on my card) aren't accepting new patients. Had the same success when I contacted one of the many customer service numbers. I can't wait to be able to leave UHC and AARP. Sadly I have to wait for the open enrollment period.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Most is done on website and the site is well done. I had better coverage as an employee of Verizon, but all things considered I am happy with the service and grateful to have it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

When I decided to sign up for this plan for 2018 I did some research to make sure that my doctors accepted this plan. It a plan that bills Medicare first, and the balance is picked by Medicaid (Ohio). Not until I had gone to the doctor twice did I get a bill wanting me to pay what Medicare didn't pay. When I called them they said that they do not bill Medicaid. Of course they did not tell me that when I signed up. I think anyone would assume that if you accept a dual plan for Medicare and Medicaid that this would be normal policy. No one will help me now. Not the doctors office, not UHC, not Medicare, not Medicaid. They tell me I am stuck with the bills, which are not small. I have no means to pay this so they will not allow me to see my doctor until I do. I am at a loss as to what to do about my meds. What can I do? Any advice? Thanks much.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

United Health Care is the worst insurance company ever! Here's the story so far... My mom is a massive stroke survivor and lost the ability to fully function as a individual. She now needs 24 hour care to help her live life. I decided to become her caregiver so we applied for a CDPAP program called Freedom Care. Unfortunately Freedom Care didn't accept the insurance she had, but UHC was 1 they did accept so we switched on 12/1/17. All the paperwork was approved and completed for Freedom Care by 12/6/17. All that was left to start was to get a home nursing assessment to determine how many work hours her case gets each week. There's local nurses that could easily had completed the assessment that same week, but UHC won't accept a 3rd party assessment, so they have to provide it with 1 of their nurses. All was to be done is have my mother's doctor sent pre or prior authorization in order for UHC to schedule the assessment.

This was 12/6/17 and today is 1/30/18 and we still in the same position. Every time we call UHC half the people don't know what we be talking about and the other half gave us bad information. Her doctor sent the pre/prior authorization multiple times over the last 2 months but each time UHC said it was sent to the wrong place. The places he sent it to was provided by multiple UHC employees and they all gave different answers. UHC they provided my mom with a case manager which suppose to handle situations like this but even she provided my mom's doctor with bad information. I never been so stressed out talking to customer service in my life. When I asked employees to tell me the exact location that her doctor needs to send the pre/prior authorization they either give me the same bad information or tell me her doctor should have his contacts within UHC. What the hell does that mean?

I mentioned that to him and he said he don't have a contact for pre/prior authorizations and was using the numbers we gave him from the UHC employees. I truly don't understand why it's so hard just to schedule a assessment that won't take more than 10 minutes to complete. To make a long story short, UHC is terrible! How they been around so long is comical and goes to show they been stealing money for decades. The sad part is I can't switch her insurance again until 12/1/18 so we gonna have to keep getting the runaround, bad info and incompetence until then. Has anyone else been through this with UHC? If so how did that turn out? I'll repost as soon as the pre/prior authorization eventually goes through but I'm assuming that'll be like 3 or 4 or 5 months from now because UHC is that terrible.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Just began Medicare due to disability. United Health Care offered opportunities and opened doors that Medicare at this time is not able to offer. United Health Care gave me hope things will be ok in many areas of concern.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

The nurse who came to my house was very nice and knew what she was doing. All the reps I have talked to are very knowledgeable and very kind. Also I found that the services provided are less expensive than other insurance companies.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

The agent we chose, Stephen **, made United Health Care Advantage sound like this was an answer to our prayers, that nothing compared to this coverage that is totally free. It's the answer to get free medical and drug prescriptions coverage. We continuously were told that it costs nothing, that all drugs will be free, etc, etc. Well one month into this coverage we already spent over a $1,000.00 and afraid to think what the rest of the year will look like. My husband's eye drops for pre and post cataract surgery has cost us over $700.00, cataract surgery deductible $200.00 and that's without hospitalization. The day of my husband's eye surgery we find out from his doctor that we do not have Medicare, that we replaced it with United Health Care. So, us thinking that United Health Care was our supplement insurance, covering what Medicare will not, we are told by the surgeon that that's not the case. That was a total shock to us.

We consider ourselves to be reasonably intelligent people but oh boy how we were misled. We were never told all these things and never received proper plan information books. So mostly we are blaming the agent, Stephen **, for either his neglect or lack of knowledge of the product or not giving a darn about the people like us what he was selling or what he wasn't telling. We also blame ourselves for totally believing in what we were told without asking more questions. And we also blame United Health Care for having people like Stephen ** misrepresenting their company.

We are not the only ones that feel tricked for enrolling in this plan, there are few others on our street alone who are furious with him and United Health Care. We all feel tricked and we all agree that none of us knew that United Health Care Advantage will replace Medicare and that we will be left without supplemental coverage. This agent is only looking out for himself and the commission he pockets. Now we and few are stuck with this coverage for a whole year. I am angry beyond words!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I have been forced to use Briova that is owned by United Healthcare. I am waiting on my transplant medication right now. I was under the impression they call into the doctor and get the prescription. I had to do that myself. SO tell me what is the benefit I am getting. They messed up last month and I had to fill it through my local pharmacy which took 6hrs, once UH goes through the "proper" process. The process was that they kept calling me to see if I got my meds. I did not. Now yesterday I went refill and was told I needed a new prescription, even though the bottle said 3 refills. Got the prescription and now I'm told I have to wait 24-48hrs for pharmacy to review the doctor’s prescription. This has been an ongoing since I have been forced to use them. My pharmacy is a block from my house and I think it’s not right that I don't have an option.

I am forced to use them because United Healthcare is not only my insurance provider but they own Briova. I think that should be a clear conflict on interest. When I had my transplant 12 years ago, ** and ** were not specialty drugs. Pharma decided that because they were not making any more profit in regular medications, another way to screw sick people these drugs all of a sudden became specialty. I am so fed up. I am so frustrated. I have had to literally chase down a FedEx van for my medication. They leave it at the wrong place. The service is terrible. UPS is even worst. I do not need the stress. I have SLE with renal failure and Sjogren's and I need heart surgery in a few months. I am only 46 yrs old. Plus I have to fight with my insurance company/Briova each month and fight for my life.

All I want is the option to pick up my meds at my local pharmacy, they know who I am, seen me for the last 13yrs. If my doctor calls in prescription I can pick it up in an hour not 3 days and then it gets lost. When I call Briova they say they need to ask compliance question about my condition, has it changed, any new allergies, last I check customer services are not qualify to ask those question "compliance". This is such a farce. Unfortunately that is the only insurance employers are offering today. SAD.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Needed a MRI with contrast after DVT. My doctor submitted the request and I was pre-approved. I am claustrophobic so I have always had open MRI and never had a problem from UHC. This time I could not find a open MRI so UHC assisted me in finding a facility with stand up. My old facility was out of network as on previous occasions and UHC would still pay if the facility accepted the amount. The facility declined and UHC found another facility without stand up but with a bigger bed and UHC gave me the number. I got my preapproval paper and made my appointment and did the MRI, now 3 months later UHC denied the claim and I was billed $2200.

The facility say that UHC said in their deny letter that I was not approved and the MRI was unnecessary. When I talked to UHC in October they were very pushy for me to have the MRI to find out if my DVT had moved from my leg to my pelvic area. Now when the results was ok they refuse to pay. They also say that preapproval don't mean they will pay for the service. A big question for me is why do you need to waste 2 week to wait for preapproval if they still don't pay for the service. This is unacceptable for me.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

We had Kaiser which was a big disappointment so we change to United. My wife was in an accident and lost her ability to walk. We live in a rent controlled apartment in San Francisco. United will not help us get her to doctors' appointments (she needs to be carried down the stairs). Kaiser provided this but United has been even a bigger disappointment - they will not help at all. So now, she can't even get to the doctor even though we pay monthly fees for this discriminatory practice. They act like this is the most unusual request they ever had. So this has never happened to another person? Screw you United non-Health Care.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I had a dental insurance with UHC. I tried to call the customer care for cancellation of the policy. I was on hold for mins and received no response. I was instantly connected to the department who provides new insurance policy. They connected me to the different department for cancellation and I was once again on hold for 30 mins. The service was poor and there is nobody to help me. I wasted 2 hours of my time reaching just the customer care team.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I was prescribed a ** inhaler for COPD to be used 4 times a day. United Health will only let me have enough for two times a day which means I will not have medication to breathe for 15 days of a month. Yet two months ago they sent me a letter saying they would pay for gender reassignment is definitely something wrong with the system that will pay for an elective surgery over a necessity for breathing.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

My husband suffered prostate cancer and his cancer doctor requested a PET scan to find possible metastatic recurrences. The doctor explained why the test was so needed. Evicore who declines ever test, medications, medication amount and everything in between. They have no concern except for taking our money!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I have had this insurance for 20 years and have hadn’t no problem until Obamacare. It changed my insurance to an unaffordable policy. I pay 2025.00 for me (47 year old female who is fixed and had no serious health issues). My husband and son are 2100.00 (48 male and 13 year old son)... These charges are every 3 months so 4100 x 4 is my yearly fee...and to top it off last year I noticed that we had to pay upfront for all services and when we reached a deductible of 7000 per person then we would have coverages 80/20 so for 46,000 a year I will only then have 80% of my insurance paid and I still pay 20%. 46 GRAND PEOPLE so Obamacare screwed This Family over. We have always paid for insurance and now it’s 46,000.00 until they pay 80%. Wrap your head around those numbers.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Retired veteran and 100% disabled - This is the worst Healthcare I have ever experienced and my experiences are not limited to military only. Day before yesterday, I spent 7 hours on phone to hopefully clear up a 2,100 dollar bill to my 16 year son for breaking his wrist snowboarding a year ago! I got NOTHING resolved, was only transfered from 'A' to 'B', then to 'D', back to 'A', etc, etc, etc.!!! Then, 4.5 hrs total on hold yesterday and spoken to NO ONE! Today a total of 4 hours and spoke to NO ONE!

Thank you United Health joke for continuing to make me and my family's health coverage a joke. So glad I served our country for 21 years and paid that price with my inability to be physically mobile most of the time. And thanks for you helping maintain my misery through your awful coverage, terrible benefits, and even worse customer service. It's really borderline thievery. It's no wonder why so many veterans end their lives after coming home. Getting the help needed is near impossible!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

On January 3rd, I cancelled a policy with them. Since it was in the first 10 days of trial, the customer service agent said my money was going to be refunded within 10 days. When I called on January 16th wondering why they hadn't returned the money, another customer service agent said she was not aware that I had cancelled. She said that there was no record of me canceling. Apparently according to her, the other agent might have forgot to cancel the policy. Thus, I have to pay for 1/2 month's time which I didn't need. At least this customer service agent gave me a cancellation number with her name for any future nuttiness.

Also, if you take out their accident policy (which sounds real good), they don't send you a card or any information except a letter telling you that you have to log in to a website. You get an ID number and then are directed and told that you must log in to a website. When you get to the website, they tell you that they don't allow accident policyholders to log in even though you will get a letter telling you that you must log in. All the customer service rep can say is "sorry." I cancelled that policy and got a number and name of that agent. I will say that this agent was very cordial and polite.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I think UHC stinks. They have denied my hearing aids after 2 appeals. I'm taking it now to the external level appeal. My spouse pays a lot of money every month for ** insurance and they won't even cover anything on these hearing aids. Do not get UHC. Also I waited like 4 months for an appeal and it is supposed to be no more than 30 days. I even had a customer service rep tell me on the phone they were gonna cover the hearing aids and then they said no. I guess they "changed their mind". Horrible phone wait times.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

These people are completely incompetent. The last three four times I've been trying to get my medication I haven't been able to get it. My doctor's office, my Pharmacy has them everything they wanted. This medication is very urgent for me to get a r e 2 weeks yet they keep saying I have to wait 20 days to get my medication. I'm ending up in the hospital because of this. I've called them 3 4 times hour at a time being hold one hour and they cannot get this completed and then they have the audacity to have a recording. I mean a lady call and say, "I hope we took care of your problem." No you didn't.

3 days I'm calling and we can't resolve a simple thing. These people are playing with everyone's health. If anybody else have a problem with getting their medications I would love you for to call me back so we can do class action lawsuit on these **. My number is ** so if you have been having hard time getting your medication let teach them a lesson that they cannot play with people lives.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Can't renew my dental policy. Their website doesn't work, says my policy doesn't exist meanwhile I got their bill. The bill has barely any information on it. Tried to register as a new policyholder and that didn't work either. I call every day for 4 days straight hold time averaging 1 hour and 7 minutes. No other phone number to call them on. No way to contact them by email either. Apparently they don't like customers contacting them, even if it is to pay a bill. Lost out on getting a new plan because open enrollment passed. Not being able to contact them is negligent and I mean that legally.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

UHC denied a RX issued by my doctor and their reason for denial was they simply won't cover it and to try over the counter medicine instead. I'm pretty sure if an OTC medicine was needed the licensed medical professional would have recommended that. They also denied a nausea RX for our son today on the day of his surgery and explained they just wouldn't cover it but if I told them of another nausea medicine they would see about authorizing that. So it seems now patients can play doctor and actually use Dr. Google and request their own medicine but they won't approve a written RX by a licensed professional. I will also be filing a complaint with the insurance commissioner but if you have a choice for health insurance, I'd strongly recommend going with another company.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

The nerve of this company charging an individual female 45 yrs. $1,141.00 a month. Wait time for a rep on the phone they tell you 30 minutes, I've been on the phone 1 hour and 40 minutes so far. The coverage provided is low compared to the services offered. I must have a primary doctor and need referrals for any specialist. Referrals are very hard to process. My doctors' office spend an hour a day for 3 weeks and couldn't get through to process a referral. Almost all of my doctors and labs send billing to United Health Care and the bills go unpaid until collections gets in touch with me.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Poor customer service but probably a trick on their part to keep your money. If you try and cancel a policy, they tell you that you have to wait on the phone for at least one hour (they claim to be so busy). They will tell you that they will call you back but they don't. You need to sit and wait on the phone forever to talk to a customer service rep about canceling a policy. And those reps are not eager to answer those phones.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

They just deny everything and see if you bother to appeal. The FSA they manage is the same - they keep denying valid medical bills (even though it's MY money!). Of all my FSA charges last year, with $1500 in the account, they denied $1300 and still haven't "accepted" any sort of receipt I can get them (including charges from their OWN specialty pharmacy for prescription medications!). They suck.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I was on the phone for an hour and 25 mins, spoke with 7 people and still did not receive an answer to the original reason I called. Was put on hold over and over; told they could not find what plan I was on; transferred to someone who then would transfer me to someone else. Lots of dead silence. The representatives I spoke with did not know what they were doing. Terrible, terrible customer service.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I have called United Health Care five times and changed my address for one year this is been going on. My premium has been increased as of January 2018 without any notification to me. United healthcare tells me they sent a notice but they have sent it to an old address where a friend of mine lives and she never got the notice either. A supervisor I spoke with by the name of Rachel in the customer service department told me my premium should be no more than $26 for the two prescriptions I get every month. I am now being charged $90 a month. I cannot afford this. I am a senior citizen on a fixed income. United said I am past the deadline for enrollment so therefore I cannot change the plan for one year but I had no notification that the plan was being changed. They are being totally unfair and I cannot pay this amount. Cannot get any satisfaction from anyone I speak to there. Where do I go?

Supervisor Rachel was supposed to call me back on Thursday, December 28. I received no phone call. I called back on Friday the December 29 and was told there's no record of a change of address and nothing can be done and then that person hung up the phone on me because I was upset. Please help me resolve this issue. United healthcare employees are incompetent and not doing their job. That's why I have never received any notification and now they want me to pay the price. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I was looking for a PCP to handle medical needs. I needed a PCP that took both the plan that UHC gave and Medicaid. The agent told me that she found a PCP that would work. The first doctor was not a PCP, but a specialist that was not seeing any patients. The second one was no longer in the medical field. So, the third PCP took the plan and I was told that the PCP took Medicaid. The agent made the appointment and I went to see this doctor. After the appointment, I was billed $183 because the PCP did not take Medicaid. I was now stuck with a medical bill. I will pay this bill off and when it comes time to enroll in a plan, I will take Medicare and a different prescription plan with another company.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

Terrible company, terrible & non-functioning website with incorrect information and not to mention all of my healthcare doctors, nurses, etc!!! Have told me the same thing about United Health Care. "They are hard to deal with when it comes to being paid for services that have been provided to me the customer". Constant incorrect information listed on United Health Care website of which doctor is in the network and who is out of network. The list goes on & on!!!

United Health Care Company Information