1.22/5
  • 1 star
Based on 198 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

United Health Care

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 13, 2018

1181 United Health Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

I lost my left hand in a bad accident, it was my fault. Ok I have United Healthcare. Number 1, the insurance company will not even pay for my amputee socks. Number 2, I worked so hard, made so many trips to the prosthetic company, getting used to my new robotic hand. Now United Healthcare want pay for the hand. I get thru with 1 appeal United will appeal again and again. This year has been a nightmare trying to get this 39 cent company to pay something. Just a very terrible company to deal with.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

I have had UHC for a year. My wife and I pay a total of 1061.00 per month for coverage. I have attempted to use my insurance maybe 5 times this year and have paid all the bills for about $3,000.00 for a total annual outlay of $15,000.00 after tax or over $20,000.00 pre-tax dollars of income. I have literally not received any benefit from them. Yesterday, they debited my account for 2 times the premium without notice or reason. I am tempted to have someone arrested for grand larceny if I thought it would not consume the rest of my life to fight this BS. UHC are government authorized monkeys and thieves. Enough said.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2015

My wife and I bought a Medicare supplement insurance policy, for my wife, age 65, from United Healthcare salesperson, Arturo ** (**). We had one condition for when selecting an insurance plan, the plan had to include Doctors Mary ** and Amir ** and the SE Hermann-Memorial hospital, and the insurance plan provided to us does not include our Doctors of choice. Mr. ** will not return our calls, and we are lost as what to do. We need to cancel the insurance plan from Care Improvement Plus. My wife has coverage from Medicare A&B, and Aetna insurance as primary. Can you help? Best regards.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2015

The first few years being with United Health Care through AARP as a Medicare supplement, I had no problems whatsoever. The problems started just this year - in fact, this month. I am so disgusted with them, I would tell everyone I know not to deal with these people. Recently, I moved from Wisconsin to California, to be near my son and his family. I let everyone know I was moving and changed my address with those companies that I needed to alert, including United Healthcare. Actually, with them, I was required to call, which I did, and thought I was all caught up. I moved here on September 24, and when I went to get my first prescription filled here at Walgreens like I always do, I was told by the pharmacy worker that my insurance was cancelled. "What do you mean, cancelled?" I barked at the fellow in the window. He told me that on his computer, it said that my policy was cancelled.

Irritated, I called United Healthcare RX insurance and proceeded to spend hour after hour on the phone with those people. Each of the different people I spoke with said, I was supposed to have re-applied because I moved out of state, and I retorted, "How in the world would I have known that information? Each one of them said that whoever the person was I spoke with about my change of address, told me this information. I told them, at first in a nice way, that NO ONE ever mentioned this to me at all. NOT A WORD." I said, "Don't you think I would have done this if they told me to do this or the result would be the cancellation of my insurance??" Of COURSE I would have! I take several prescription medications daily, and I cannot afford them on my own - that's why I have this insurance!

I called and spoke with someone different every time, and this went on for at least 2 1/2 weeks. They each told me something different, and when I tried to pick up my prescriptions after they said I could, I was still told at the pharmacy that my insurance was not reinstated. After the initial calling and getting absolutely nowhere with them, I started asking for the supervisors right away, and even THEY gave me the runaround. Finally, toward the end, one of the supervisors told me that they would have someone listen to the tape-recorded message of the conversation I had with them, notifying them of my change of address.

After several more days of not knowing what was going on, but STILL not able to refill my meds, finally I called again and spoke to a supervisor that said he was going to help me. He contacted the department that listens to the phone conversations and after waiting on hold and talking with him for HOURS, he finally came back on and said I was right - that the worker NEVER informed me that I had to re-apply, otherwise, I would be terminated. I tried telling that to every single person I spoke with regarding this, but they obviously didn't believe me. They didn't believe me until they heard the conversation for themselves. That supervisor, reinstated my insurance and backdated it to when the termination date was. Which I appreciated. But I was so aggravated by this whole situation, without the ability to get the medicine I needed at the time, except to pay for it out of pocket and some of my medications are several hundred dollars.

Well, that might be an option for someone who has the money - but I'm not in that position. I live on a fixed income and the whole purpose of PAYING for this insurance was to be able to afford the astronomical prices of medication as it is! It's NOT like they're giving me something for nothing! I decided to file a complaint with some insurance board - I forgot who it is now - as I'm waiting to hear back from them. I think they need to be held accountable for a few issues here, and that's why I filed the complaint. It drives me crazy that people, especially older people, are expected to just believe what they're told by the medical community and are jacked around like we're idiots. I resent that, and I resent this company not giving me the benefit of the doubt before they could prove that I was lying.

This country's whole court system is based on presuming someone is "innocent before they are proven to be guilty," not the other way around. United Health Care needs to step their game up and get it together. AARP should lean on them to do so as well. With more and more folks getting into the age of Medicare, United Health Care and those like them, need to treat those of us who have worked our whole lives and paid our dues, with more respect and courtesy than they are presently doing. Give us the benefit of the doubt that we are telling you the truth or we truly don't understand something, before you jump the gun and cancel our life-saving medication access. Next time, someone may not be as lucky as I was and it could cost them their life.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

My work switched to UHC from Blue Cross in June 2015. BCBS was increasing their rates, and my employers thought they were getting a better deal from UHC. UHC representatives came in, touted themselves as providing better care than BCBS. They said that none of us would have to change providers. They said we may have issues with a few prescriptions, but to just work through it and everything would be okay. I am 26 years old, and in fair health. Shortly after we switched companies, I developed my first case of vertigo. The doctor prescribed meclizine, which UHC denied. Whatever, it's $15, so I just paid cash.

Then, I went to the doctor to start treatment for psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. The doctor ordered blood work and referred me to a dermatologist. There was a place to have the blood taken at the doctor's office, but only people with actual health insurance get to use that. UHC will only take blood work done by LabCorp facilities, so I had to wait a few days (it was a Friday afternoon) and drive out in the boondocks somewhere to go. LabCorp failed to send in my blood results so I had to call the doctor a week after it was drawn to get them to contact LabCorp to move things along. LabCorp took no initiative.

I finally see a dermatologist, who diagnosed me with severe psoriasis, and is concerned I may have psoriatic arthritis already (I have terrible wrist and knee pain. I cannot kneel for more than a few minutes without days of pain, which is unusual for my age). He prescribes me Otezla, a new drug that is the safest psoriasis treatment on the market. UHC denied me Otezla, citing I need to try Stelara or Humira first. Stelara & Humira are both immune-compromising biologics. I almost died at birth from tuberculosis, and should not be endangering my immune system in any fashion. In addition Stelara and Humira both leave patient's psoriasis WORSE if they ever get off of it. They can induce psoriasis in patients who take those medications for other reasons (like Crohn's disease), and induce painful, pustular psoriasis plaques in others. Permanently.

My specialty pharmacy, my dermatologist, and Otezla themselves appealed UHC on my behalf. Multiple times. UHC literally could not care less about your health. Let me repeat, they do not care. They have deals with some drug companies (The only reason they would tout Stelara/Humira over Otezla, as Otezla is actually LESS expensive than the drugs they're trying to put me on) over others, and have bought their own pharmacy that they use to gouge their health insurance customers. (How is that legal???)

I might as well not have any insurance, at all. I now have to go begging to Otezla to continue to give me that medication for free, as the cost of Otezla without insurance is $1,500/month (Humira, at its lower rate, is $1,800. Stelara is $3,500). Otezla has been fantastic BUT I HATE having to ask for handouts. I have health insurance. Health insurance is supposed to pay for medical treatments when you cannot. Therefore, I cannot really call UHC health insurance. They take your money and give you nothing back.

With UHC you are not a person, not a face. They don't care if you have a family, a job. They don't care if you are young or old. They don't care if you're in pain or not. They don't care if the treatments they are trying to make you take would kill you. They don't care. You are a number. That's it. UHC is terrible enough that, should my employer fail to switch providers again come 2016, I will need to seek other employment. That will be almost the three year mark for me, which is really a shame, but I am not comfortable with not having insurance. And I don't.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

Enrolled in U.H. Care Medicare Advantage PPO plan this year 2015. My husband recently retired, he enrolled also. Everything went smoothly, U.H. Care approved both of us. I have my plan and he has his. Husband canceled his former Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield from job. We are no longer in their computer system. Went to my primary doctor, filled one subscription, everything went smoothly and was paid. Had thyroid ultrasound then orthopedic specialist for frozen shoulder. Specialist doctor gets flak from U.H. Care, they won't pay because they said I have another insurance plan that is primary, Well Point. We never heard of this.

My husband called Well Point after searching for phone number, they said we are NOT in their computer system. He called our former insurance, Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield, they said we are NOT in their computer system either. They said Well Point was a dental branch of Empire. Now just HOW did U.H. Care manage to booger their computer system having us down as having a different primary insurance that does NOT exist? Medicare (gov.) pays U.H. Care $800 per month to do this to us??? Liars, thieves, they should be penalized by the Federal Government!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

I am fully paid with my insurance United Health Care. They 1/2 way thru my plan change and force me to use OptumRx. Well I call they tell me I can't use my card from Lyrica which saves me $60 per month x 12 is $720 per year off my copay. I am then told I am getting charged for one copay $85 3 times as one mail of 90 day supply for 1-3 month supply. How is that fair 1 transaction 3 times the price. Well I proceed to the ripoff and to pay.

They say, "we cannot allow you to pay for your meds. We are going to inform you of a bill owed from 18 months ago." We never sent you a statement or ever tried to collect. But now want to hostage your meds also your Orthovisk knee injections that keep your knees from getting worse. We will not send those either, due to we can save money for CEO BONUSES FOR UNITED HEALTH CARE. They refuse to accept a payment plan or anything but still don't try to collect this money. They can care less due to the fact it has saved them 6 thousand dollars in refusing medical treatment I paid for. Why pay the damn insurance if they hold up benefits??? 40 calls - never can get one to 3 way call the other to get anything accomplished. They play stupid. It is smart actually. They are saving money screwing me.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

I have been very disappointed with my health insurance policy. I pay $589.00 per month for a policy just for myself and each experience gets worse and worse! My most current complaint is about medications. I was prescribed a fairly common medication and United Health Care declined it. I was then prescribed the generic form and it was approved for 1 month. When I went to pick up my refill the following month, my cost was $112.00 versus $12.00 for the prior refill because it was declined.

After almost 2 hours on the phone, speaking with department after department, being on hold the majority of the time, I was told that United would no longer cover the medication and was reminded that United can change prices and coverages at their discretion at any time. I switched to United because they made these promises about their great coverage over Aetna. The coverage for all services has been less and I'm paying $200 per month more. Stay away from these people!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I have been a member of the subject insurance company since 2008. I have Plan F and it has covered all my major expenses with cancer surgery, chemo and radiation treatments and many visits to physicians. I am very pleased with the service and coverage. The monthly premium for '16 will be $271 with no deductibles or copays. I also use this company for their Part D RX plan which currently costs about $54 monthly.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2015

Choosing this company for 2015 was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. They are slow to pay claims. Some claims are only partially paid even though the doctor / medical office is in network. They deny almost all DME claims. I went through a series sleep study tests. Was found to have severe sleep apnea. They approved a CPAP machine only to deny it after a month. I was told I had to appeal. I appealed but had to return the machine or pay the company over $3000 cash. The appeal was denied because I returned the machine. In other words no way to ever get a CPAP machine without paying thousands. Also took 5 months to refund a double payment they took out of my account in April 2015. One of the worst things is how hated this insurance company is by the physicians' offices. Many have personally suggested I don't renew with them. Sign up with them at your own risk.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2015

I have been with UHC for about 4 years. In that time they have made me change my doctors, and now they tell me they will no longer cover my insulin because it is too expensive. My doctors know what they are prescribing and what I need to take. Why should an insurance company that I pay be allowed to dictate what medications I take? I just wonder if AARP knows what is going on with a company that uses their name.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2015

I have been a member of this plan for 10 months. In this time period my benefits have been canceled twice. The reason for these cancellations has been for lack of premium payment. The problem with that was that the payments were in fact made and in a timely manner (first week of every month). Second I would only find out when I'm attempting to fill a prescription. Low and behold the clerk tells me that my premium hasn't been paid. The first time I was very worried and called my company to verify that the payments were being made. I was then given the information of when each check was paid to United Health Care.

So I called and had to tell them that they've had my checks and weren't being applied to my account. After they found the checks and gave me a lame excuse that sometimes the payments get skipped over, it HAPPENED again. This time for 4 payments. So I naturally gave them the benefit of the doubt and researched with my company once again, only to find out the same... I was treated rudely by customer service and actually hung up on. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2015

I have been needing a crown for well over 2 years. I started the process over 2 years ago but my husband had only been at his new job for a few months and told I would need to wait a full calendar year for major work, but once the year was up, it would be covered. So we sent in the claim and it was denied saying I didn't actually need the crown. Fast forward and know that we have sent the information in 6 or 7 times and it has been denied over and over. Sometimes, they say the x-ray isn't clear enough. Sometimes it isn't dated or mounted properly. We have filled the tooth twice in the last year. They have paid $250 combined on the fillings, but wouldn't pay $500 for a crown. Today the tooth broke off. Crumbled is more like it. And I am walking around with a broken tooth waiting and hoping that they finally approve it. Stay away from this insurance company if you can.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2015

Does not send bills or emails reminder. Need to send bills or emails like other company to remind us with dementia to pay without giving up account number to be hacked and stolen from another big company. Just send bill or email reminder. They can send cancellation letter but no bill or reminder. What happened to customer service?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2015

I didn't experience problems with United Healthcare Insurance until I moved to Lynwood IL. Before leaving Wisconsin, I transfer my coverage to IL about three years ago. I met with the representative, who came to my home to assist me through the process. The professional representative help me to picked a network providers. My disability requires on going treatment. United Healthcare provided a nurse visit to make sure my medication were taken correctly. Two years & $30,000 later, I learned they paid less than 10% of my doctor visits. I appeal their decision but don't get a response. I pay medicare and co-pay to the doctor's. I have medical collections office that will take me 30 years or more to pay, plus I have to pay cash to see any doctor. Now I am out of money and living in pain. I don't know where to turn. United Health has really destroyed me financially and medically.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2015

I have been with United Health Care for more than 20 years now. I pay them $300.00 a week. $15k a year and have never had a benefit approved. At this time I have a lump that is growing in size and now is the size of a softball. I have been to my doctor and he needs an MRI to diagnose, NOT APPROVED! So, there is Nothing that can be done. There are no dentists within a 100 mile radius that will accept UHC and accepting new patients. When I have to see a doctor for anything it is actually cheaper to tell them that I do not have insurance than to disclose UHC. There are always two prices, one for people with insurance and another for people without. Doesn't that prove that ins co is being ripped off at our expense? Their customer service is not helpful. Where do you go for help?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

My family is on their 3rd experience with United Health Care as an employment benefits provider. Each time our experience gets decidedly worse. I am the Father of a severely disabled young teenager. He does not, walk, talk and suffers from a seizure disorder; thus is 100% dependent on assistance. This is not a new condition. He was born with these limitations. We have claims from time to time to get him durable medical equipment for use such as a wheelchair, among other things. UHC has denied such claims by stating "they are considered as Personal care, comfort or convenience." Let me restate, he does not walk and is a 5'4" 100# teenager and growing.

The wheelchair and bath chair (the two primary and most egregious denials) are not requested but every several years for growth, not something that is frivolously requested. And yet, we are denied. It isn't difficult enough already, then to have a provider deny these claims and or having to fight for others. Our medical history is well documented and they have access, so they know we are not frivolous and are asking for what we are paying for, service. Poor service, each of the three times my company came to use them as primary provider. If we had a choice, an alternate we would absolutely change, immediately.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

My PCP ordered MRI and United Healthcare refused it. It took an appeal and more than 10 phone calls and was bounced around from one department to another. Endured severe pain for more than a month. And finally, some had mercy and approved it. For the last several months, I received a letter stating that I have a 2 month balance due. There has been no missing payment because they withdraw premium from my checking account, usually within the first few days of the month.

When I call them about the letter, they say, "Disregard it because there is a glitch in our computer system and you are fine." I take the agent name and reference number. Jot it down on the letter and wait for the next month. Around the 25th of every month, I get a similar letter and I go through the same vicious cycle. This month when my doctor requested a pre-approval, UHC denied it and cc'd me on the letter stating that I have not paid my premium and I am in the second month of grace period. I tried to convince my doctor by bringing all bank statements and UHC letters and reference number. But the doctor's office says they cannot do anything about it. They will only see me if the computer system at UHC okays me - which I don't see happening anytime soon. Stay away from UHC if you can. Worst company, worst business, poor accounting, poor customer service, and poor communication.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2015

United Healthcare EPO is terrible. I wasn't able to see my doctor that I had been seeing for 25 yrs. Instead they sent me to a ghetto doctors office that had torn chairs, filthy torn exam tables & the fill in doctor was sucking on a lollipop during my consultation and exam. Can't wait to change insurance companies on November 1st enrollment 2015.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2015

Please heed this advice. Do not under ANY circumstances enrol in this healthcare plan. Just today I went to get a script filled for a medication I have been taking for 5 yrs. I take it 3 times a day. There is danger if I suddenly stop taking it. So, I go to get filled and it is rejected because UHC says I missed a premium. I call UHC, tell them my premium is taken out of my account automatically, and my bank records show it has already been taken out for this month. They admit mistake is theirs, tell me they will have it fixed between 3-24 hrs.

I tell them this will not work as I have to take this medication everyday and there are physical ramifications if I don't. Customer rep tells me ok, she will put on hurry and it should be ready in 3 hrs. I call back after 4 1/2 hours tell them it is still not taken care of. Different rep this time called "Josh". I again explain the importance of this being filled today. He's says he understand and he will "escalate" again. And he says he will call Rx and call me back in exactly 1 hr. I'm sure you can all guess, he did not call me back.

So I call a third time, again a different rep answers. I ask for Josh, am told there is no way to reach Josh. I explain my situation for a third time. Again am offered to have them escalate it. No way. I am connected with supervisor "Bill". (I find it interesting that everyone I talk to, though they are obviously from a different country, they have very American names). I explain situation, tell him Rx will be closing in a couple hrs, that if I suffer symptoms from missing this dose I will hold them liable. Supervisor says he will take care of it, puts me on hold, comes back on says I can go pick up script. I say "are you sure? because I am leaving house to go to Rx right now." He says yes. He also says he will send me email, with apology I guess was never clear on that due to language barrier.

I drive 40 miles to Rx, and of course nothing has been fixed and they are closing in 15 minutes. I call customer service back and a recording tells me they are closed and to call back during business hours. So, I end up having to pay cash for script. What do you think the odds are I will get refund from UHC for the difference? This insurance company was willing to let me go through withdrawals rather than fix THEIR error in a timely basis. Stay far, far away. You can go on UHC complaint site to read roughly 700 more complaints on this company..

Original review: Oct. 6, 2015

My dear mother was given three weeks to live. I took her home from the hospital which only gave her codeine patches and this company refused to pay for the patches. They put my poor sick mother on hold for hours (we have phones records) from one department to another department! They knew my mom was old. They knew she was sick and they treated her with no respect!!! What a shame!!! Worst company ever!!! It's like being on welfare!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2015

UHC was so bad about paying claims I had to go through a lawyer in S.H.I.P. in AL. Suggest anyone having issues with them saying doctors and/or clinics are "out of network" do the same, as every state has a legal team in SHIP. I will be switching to another insurer on the first day I'm allowed.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2015

I got the most expensive insurance that United Healthcare offers and I needed a CT scan on my back because my leg is going numb and it hurts so bad that I can barely walk. United Healthcare denied my CT scan so now I cannot have any kind of treatment! I have been paying $600.00 a month for my coverage and this is what I get. Run from United Healthcare - they don't care about you!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2015

In July 2015, I was set up with an individual health plan with UnitedHealthcare through an independent company here Indiana called Crosspointe Insurance Advisors. I was assured this was the plan for my needs, budget, etc. What a headache dealing with UnitedHealthcare has been already!! I wish I had looked up reviews on them before committing to my health plan. My insurance started on Aug. 1 -- but I did not receive my ID cards until late August. Numerous customers (including myself) were sent incorrect monthly bills in mid-September saying that UHC didn't receive our payment for Sept's premium and we now owed double. When I called UHC, they said this was an error. I went ahead and paid October's premium over the phone then.

Then two weeks later, UnitedHealthcare sent out bills stating that October payment was due Sept. 22. This was another error -- they meant Oct. 1. I called them because I had already paid Oct's premium over the phone on Sept 17 and had a confirmation #. The woman I spoke with was very rude and unprofessional. She said she'd ticket my account then hung up!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2015

United Health Care (UHC) repeatedly loses my payments. They are sent by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). I sent them proof of payment but they still can't fix their problem. They acknowledge they have a problem but after 5 months they can't fix it. As a result they stop approving claims. They tell providers I have not paid. I find it hard to believe they cannot resolve receiving payments electronically from a major bank. If they would work hard at anything it would be getting cash in the door. I wonder if they are purposely trying to aggravate customers with a lot of claims so they go away to another insurer or lose coverage. Or maybe they are using outsourced vendors to do all their call center or IT work as some health insurers do – and maybe it is offshore vendors – and they are ** worthless.

Citizens of the USA we need to make all the health insurance companies go away. Get one national business to process all the policies and claims. It would save billions in operating expenses which means we would save and doctors would get paid. It should be a non-profit entity. It should be managed by the customers to ensure true customer service. This would end every healthcare problem in the USA.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2015

I work in a doctor's office in billing and am shocked at the company's strategies to not pay providers. The employees deny almost all hospital charges forcing us to appeal with documentation. There was actually a very sick patient whom they denied payment stating that the charge did not reflect the patient's level of care. It was the LOWEST possible billable code!!!!! I think they deny in hopes that we will get tired of fighting and give up. By the way, look up the CEO's Salary!!! In the millions!!!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2015

I've had United Health Care since 01/15. Everything was ok until 06/15 when my premium jumped from $281.00 monthly to $776.00. However that was due to the market place removing my tax credit. The tax credit of 516.00 has since been readded to my account. However United Health Care has failed to update their system and keeps telling me I owe them 776 or sometimes up to a thousand dollars or more. Since the entire tax credit screw up, I have faithfully paid the full amount for my insurance EVERY MONTH and every month I call to find out my balance after I have paid the representatives tell me I am paid up. Now this month's payment has jumped back up to 776.00. I've checked my payment history and all the payments are saying PROCESSED except for 2 which are saying SUBMITTED. On their system they say that processed means that the payment has been sent usefully however submitted means it hasn't been sent.

If a payment has not been "SENT" then why is my bank account saying otherwise! I am at my wits end with this company, no one wants to help when you call in. They tell you what they want to hear to get you off the phone and then the next month your bill is screwed up again. A representative told me to email my statements showing where the money was withdrawn, which I did send them. However, it was a phony email address. No one there knows what they are doing. I just need my account to be corrected! I am sick and tired of going through the same dilemma and being on the phone for 4 hours each month and getting the run around!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

I have been a member of United Health Care since May 2015. I went to pick up one of my September meds and was told that I voluntarily canceled my policy. I called the office and was told that that was wrong information. A few days later I was able to pick up the rest under the insurance. However, on September the same pharmacy (Wal-Mart of Route 60, Vero Beach, Florida) told me my insurance had been canceled for nonpayments. I called the insurance again and was put on to a representative who told me I was canceled in July because I'm not a U.S. citizen.

I have been making numerous calls and I either got hang up on or left holding the line for long periods of time with no one returning to me. I'm a U.S citizen and have paid my monthly plan up until August. At no time had anyone told me to stop paying for any reason at all. One representative advice me to re-enroll and continue paying but my policy would not be effective until the new enrollment in November. Please for your kind help because I do not know what to do and not having my health insurance will have serious consequences on me in a number of ways.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2015

I've gone in circles with UHC for the past month attempting to find a specific type of therapist in network in my large metro area. Apparently there are none but UHC continues to give me the names of two therapists, along with contact numbers, who do not exist. I've called the numbers (provided by UHC) for these supposed therapists, and the health care group on the phone tells me that these therapists are not employed by them. Furthermore, I can't even find these therapists on the Internet; it's like they simply don't exist. I got tired of calling UHC on the phone multiple times, so I finally sent an email, thinking that perhaps things might be more clear in writing.

In my email, I listed the full names of these nonexistent therapists and told UHC that these therapists do not exist, so what other therapists are in network? UHC's response: "Here are the therapists in your area in network : 1 Nonexistent therapist #1, and 2 Nonexistent therapist #2." (This was the response to my original concern where I provided the names of these nonexistent therapists and said that they don't exist!) I even suggested to UHC that it may be best for them to actually determine if providers are still practicing before providing such obsolete information to patients. UHC likely won't do that, though that idea makes too much sense!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2015

I have been paying my premiums every month. When my daughter went to get her prescription filled in the beginning of August, she was told that United Healthcare put a hold on my account. I called them and they said part of June and all of July were not paid. I was told by the pharmacy that the same thing happened to another woman with UHC. I sent the insurance company copies of the cancelled checks which they denied receiving. My premium payment is $132.12 and I was billed for $309.24 & $132.12. If the $132.12 was covering July's payment, where does the $309.24 come from? I contacted my lawyer because 3 to 5 business days for a response turned into 2 months. My lawyer and I were holding on a three-way call with UHC waiting for them to find a supervisor, when after 45 minutes of holding, they hung up on us.

My lawyer sent them a letter describing how negligent they are and how much my daughter and I are suffering without our medications. They never responded by the deadline date, so I had to call them. They said I am all paid up and to check with the pharmacy to see if it's off of the hold. It is now finally off of hold two months later, but now I have to send copies of all the cancelled checks for the year so I can be reimbursed for the overpayments I made for June and July. I will update when I get a response from UHC.

United Health Care Company Information

www.uhc.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use