1.86/5
Based on 227 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1311 United Health Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 7, 2016

United Health Care is HORRIBLE!! My husband and I signed up on December 15th, 2015 and paid our first premium the same day it came out of our account on December 17th, 2015 and was suppose to be effective January 1st, 2016. Jan. 1st came and our insurance info didn't come, no cards, no information packets. So we called they said we didn't pay for our insurance so we need to make that payment in order for us to have our insurance activated. I told them it was paid and I have proof it came out of our account. So after countless phone calls and wasted hours they found our payment... but not till Jan. 15th!! I wasn't notified till Jan. 21st that they found it!

Well due to their mistake we weren't able to use our insurance for the whole month of Jan. because they lost our payment. I asked for a credit or refund for those days that we lost because they lost our payment. I was 1st told they couldn't do that over the phone and I had to email. Then I was told they can move our effective date to Feb 1st and waive our Feb. payment. I initially said yes but after talking to my husband he said no because we would get a tax penalty if we didn't have insurance for a full 12 months. So I called to say "no move it back to Jan 1st". At that time I was told they didn't know what I was talking about and that isn't something they can even do and don't know who told me that and they have no record of anyone telling me that.

So I call and email several more times trying to get a credit for the days I wasn't able to use our insurance because they lost our money for a whole month. Now it is March so I log onto my account at UHC and I am being billed for over $1,000 (my premium is only $229.78 a month). I am being charged for 2 of the exact same plans! 1 effective date of Jan 1st 2016, and 1 effective date Feb. 1st 2016. I call and cancel the Feb. plan. They say they don't know how that even happened legally etc. It is now April 6th 2016 and I am still calling trying to get something taken care of. I am not even asking for a refund just a credit to my current bill for the days I lost. I am currently on the phone as I am typing this. It has been 49 minutes... mostly me being on hold and guess what they just offered me? To move my effective date to Feb 1st, 2016. I DO NOT RECOMMEND paying any money early to this company, because they might lose it for a whole month.

Original review: March 31, 2016

I will not be renewing with this company next year. I had to wait a month to get approved for dental work after a tooth was broken, this has never happened to me with other dental plans. There is a separate website each for medical, dental, vision, and to get prescriptions in the mail, 4 total!! Because I turned 65 last year I can't be enrolled in Washington State Health Care anymore. It's much better and cheaper than Medicare/United Health Care.

Original review: March 26, 2016

I signed up for the $400/month bronze plan with prescription savings plan. Once I signed up for that plan, I then found out it doesn't cover mail order prescriptions or most prescriptions in general. I called for assistance and basically was told, "Sorry we can't do anything..." I basically was lied to or tricked prior to signing up for this plan, and now each time I call it's basically "too bad for you." Also, while applying it asked for my PCP, so I put their name in. Have been seeing this specialist for years now. They put some random doctor as my PCP. Never heard of him.

Was told I cannot change it to a specialist, has to be PCP. So now I guess I have to go see some random doctor I don't know to get prior authorization for some of my medications. Which makes no sense, because in the end the health insurance is basically paying for a random doctor when I have my own. I can't wait 'til next open enrollment so I can cancel! I am in the health care field, and I make sure I tell everyone about my problems with United Health.

Original review: March 25, 2016

Terrible customer service and why pay for health care when everything gets denied and has to go through some black hole process? I have spent hours and hours of my time and gotten nowhere with this company and 2 appeals for a smoking cessation drug that is covered on my plan but they don't want to pay and have ruined a 15 year relationship with my general practice doctor. Now I'm told no more appeals and I have to wait 180 days to go through this process again! Yeah right! If any company treats their customers this badly they go out of business!

This company will go down, just a matter of time. I have never ever in my entire life had this many problems trying to get an insurance company to pay for anything let alone a drug to quit smoking so it doesn't cost our healthcare system more money. I think I now have high blood pressure after 30 calls to them in 5 months and multiple conversations with supervisors and still have gotten nowhere. I will not be paying for this out of pocket given this drug is covered under my plan and THEY WILL NOT BE DICTATING MY HEALTHCARE. First experience with this company in my life as I've always had Blue Cross and they have lost a customer and I will be going up the chain with my dissatisfaction with this company.

Original review: March 23, 2016

On March 7th, 2016 I called UHC AARP to inform them wife had passed and they still took the 100.00 plus dollars from our account. They said 10 to 14 days it would be back in. They lied. Today is the 23rd. Called them. They said I'm not the insured, can't talk to me. I haven't eaten since the 8th. What they pulled out of our account was the remaining money in it. Lady said "sorry for your loss but can't talk to you," so be careful. They want your money but really don't give a damn about you. I cancelled my AARP membership. Not giving them anymore money. Going to bay area TV station with this. Maybe people will realize AARP only in it for themselves. Yea, I'm dorked off.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: March 22, 2016

I signed up for United Healthcare in Alabama after disability caused me to resign my position in a hospital after 35+ years. After signing up... the nightmare began. I live on the Georgia/Alabama and my physicians are all in Georgia but I could not sign up for Georgia coverage even though my doctor is only 10 miles away. I am not able to drive, so all appointments have to be arranged with someone to drive me. So I made an appointment to see a doctor 30 miles away after being turned down by no less than 10 doctors on their so called plan because they no longer accepted UHC. I showed up for appointment, filled out 10 pages of paperwork, paid my co-pay and waited. I had informed receptionist I was being seen by a Pain Management Specialist in Atlanta, and she said "no problem." :)

I walked with my walker and mother-in-law (who drove from Florida to take me and try to get treatment for my ongoing debilitating back issues.) After getting x-rays, the doctor finally came in and informed me he could not treat me because it's their policy not to treat pain management patients. I told him I just need a primary to refer me for further evaluation because I did not wish to continue up to take medication and I wasn't asking for medication, but to be re-evaluated by specialists. It didn't matter, they would neither treat me nor refer me. I had to call the insurance company for another doctor. Spoke to insurance company again, going through the automated push 1... carousel. Finally got someone, explained situation, and he said he would find me a doctor or get an exception so I could go to Georgia. While on hold, guess what? I was disconnected.

I called back again, phone carousel, could not speak to previous person even though I had his name. She said they can't do that. Great. So for about the 19th time, I'm telling my story and I gave her my number in case we were disconnected and yes, we were. Called me back at 5:00 at which time all doctors' offices were closed. She told me they don't make exceptions so the other representative was incorrect for telling me this. Called them the next day and they finally found a doctor and I verified by three way call that they would see and treat me. Great! This is March 10 and appointments won't be until the 23rd. So asked where the nearest Urgent Care was that our plan covered... Almost 90 miles away.

Now I'm sitting in the car Friday in the parking lot in Carrollton, GA while my mother in law goes in and gets me groceries. I'm hurting so bad I cannot operate an electric scooter. She ask me if I had enough pain medication, and I said yes, I had more than enough to kill myself! So she puts me on hold, comes back and says she's going to transfer me to a help specialist and I said "great, thank you so much", and guess what, I get transferred back to the original phone carousel!!! When I finally got a person, I lost it! Needless to say the temper I had controlled all these weeks just exploded!

They put someone with an admitted bag of pills who has mentioned killing herself on hold for 23 minutes (yes I forgot that part) and then sends me back to the original phone recording. I asked him his name so I could leave it on my suicide note and he gave it to me! This is all the absolute truth. This is why my mother in law drove up here, to see me fall apart at the hands of United Healthcare.

So run, don't walk as fast as you can. They are so polite on the phone until I realized after all these calls that it was all scripted. So what am I going to do? See the doctor this Thursday, and if I'm not shown proper care and respect, I'll be packing my bags and moving back to Georgia and then they can help me to transfer my health care to Georgia. It will mean leaving my husband and my house of 15 years, but I really don't know what else to do. After caring for patients for over 35 years, I am left by the very system I put my life into.

Original review: March 22, 2016

My daughter was born on June 14, 2015 and had one month of coverage with Kaiser before she was switched to a United Healthcare family plan. Her coverage with United Health Care started on July 6, 2015 and her coverage with Kaiser ended on July 14, 2015. United Health Care has repeatedly denied claims AFTER July 14, 2015 (when my daughter's Kaiser coverage ended) on the basis that she had another primary insurance that should be billed. I have called United Health Care at LEAST seven times to resolve this issue. Every time the "customer service" agent assures me that the issue is resolved and that the claims will be paid, but this is never the case.

On March 11, 2016, United Healthcare took back money they had already paid to my pediatrician for one office visit on 8/6/2015 and one well baby visit on 8/17/15 (both well after her Kaiser coverage ended) in a total amount of 1365.00. I have attempted to resolve this issue numerous times with United Health Care and they have not only refused payment of valid claims to my pediatrician, they have refused claims under the same false statement (that myself or my daughter has other primary insurance) for several other medical treatments that are clearly covered by our plan. They have refused payment for these treatments even after I contacted them about this error and (supposedly) reached resolution. Now they have rescinded previously paid funds that are CLEARLY owed by them to my pediatrician, leaving me with the bill.

While speaking with the supervisor at United Health Care, she revealed to me that United contacted Kaiser on 3/16/16 to confirm that my daughter did have coverage with Kaiser on the start date of my United policy (7/6/15) and used that information to deny claims on 8/6/15 and 8/17/15. United also called my husband on 3/16/15 to ask him if my daughter and I have Kaiser insurance and he said no.

I would like United to tell me why a United employee contacted Kaiser to research their responsibility for claims made on 8/6/15 and 8/17/15 but never actually asked Kaiser if we were insured through them on these dates. I am concerned that these actions are a systemic issue that is potentially designed to delay payment on legitimate claims and would like to receive comment from United.

Original review: March 19, 2016

When I purchased this policy after moving to MS in the Fall of 2015, I was told that Dr. ** was in network and I could still use him as a Primary Physician. I still saw Dr. Calvin ** or his nurse practitioner until the end of 2015, and the claims were paid. I have been going to Dr. ** over the past month for high liver enzymes. When I received the rejected claims, I contacted Dr. Mullins and he nor anyone in his office were aware I could not be seen there anymore. He stated I see patients from MS who are insured by United Health Care all the time.

When I purchased this policy, I chose what I thought was one of the better policies. To my knowledge I did everything I was supposed to do based on the information provided. In the past week I contacted United Health Care and spoke to Claims, and was told I need to find a primary care physician in MS. I then spoke to Member Services and choose Dr. ** in Southaven, MS.

I made an appointment with Dr. ** and upon arriving, I was told by the receptionist that I should make sure I have been assigned a primary care physician and that Dr. ** was in the network, because many patients are seeing their claims denied. I called back Member Services back and the agent told me that I was not assigned to Dr. ** and that he was not even in the network. She emailed me a list of providers and his name was listed.

I called Member Services again and was assured that Dr. ** was in the network and that I had been assigned to him. It appears that many of the employees of United Health Care are not familiar with their jobs and how to do them. And, the information provided to patients and providers re: coverage does not clarify the requirements to get a claim paid, and that this is not an isolated case.

Original review: March 19, 2016

UnitedHealthcare probably saves about 20%. By going against standards of the industry through various fraud. The insurance industry is now being enforced by former UHC execs. The head of Medicare is a former CEO within their organization. Physicians and patients both lose and since their CEO's pay is mostly done through stock options, it makes more money for him to deny claims boosting the value of their stock at that very moment.

If you are a physician’s office and you request authorization, be prepared to fight in order to get that authorization. Once you get it, be prepared to have to send in all notes from whatever was done. Expect delays and expect them to pay only a portion so that maybe in about 9 months you might get paid from all of it with about a 20% lower payment than that of even Medicare. UnitedHealthcare is in the provider world is this. Requires 4 times the work, and gets 2 times less the pay out from any other insurance. Nobody should be allowed to do what they have done and continue to do. They really should be shut down as a company.

Original review: March 16, 2016

The very worst you could possibly imagine. My wife had Care Improvement Plus as her medicare advantage PPO. They merged with UHC and it has been nothing but a disaster since. I would definitely advise against this company!

Original review: March 11, 2016

Sumatriptan denial - I have managed having migraines for years. The neurologist recommendations are for 9 pills per month. It has been the standard amount for two other insurance companies. This many pills allows me the ability to work and function, knowing that I have medication if I need it. I have insurance through my employer, I also pay a premium. I cannot believe this company is allowed to do this, randomly choose not to follow MD recommendations. This medication is expensive. Shame on them.

Original review: March 10, 2016

I had this insurance in 2014 through my husbands employer and ended up needing a hysterectomy in December 2014 - my husband's employer had already decided to switch insurance companies in Jan 2015, so I was in a time crunch. I went on Dec 8th for pre-op evaluation, and my surgery was scheduled for Dec 18th. Unfortunately I found on from the hospital on Dec 17th that the insurance had not yet approved the surgery, because pre-approval had just been submitted by the doctor's office that morning, the day before my surgery.

I called the insurance company in tears to get this surgery done, as I was in pain, and I was told she would do everything possible to get it taken care of. I also stupidly disclosed that we would be changing insurance companies in a couple weeks and I didn't know what the coverage would be and I had already met my out-of-pocket annual maximum - a perfect reason for them to delay approval to not have to cover. Imagine my surprise to get a call at almost 8:30 pm (well after closing time) to tell me it was all taken care of, I could have my surgery the next morning. Surgery was done, bills were paid, no problems.

A few months later the anesthesiologist was billing me, saying my insurance didn't pay them - I looked at the EOB's, which said I owed them $0 due to network discounts, so I called and told the provider this. They said "OK, no problem". A few months later (after my coverage ended) I got a call from the anesthesiologist again saying I owe, and that they are not in network with my insurance. I called UMR and they got on 3-way call with me and the provider and told them they are in network. The anesthesiologist office said "I don't care - we are billing it".

True to their word they sent me to a collection agency. I told them what happened (Note this was almost a year later, long after coverage was terminated with this plan). I called UMR and they send documentation to the provider showing their in-network status with a copy of the contract. The collection agency continued to call and I continued to explain to them and they told me to call the provider, which I did, and they said they would look into it, which they didn't.

Fast forward to today, March 2016, 15 months after my procedure and the termination of my UMR plan - the collection agency said I need to send EOB's to show I don't owe the balance by the end of the day or my credit is going to take the hit. I called UMR with no ID, no active plan, and no benefit to them whatsoever and spoke with Natalie, a super-sweet woman who looked up all EOB's for anesthesia (as they did not bill under their business name, but under a provider whose name the provider couldn't tell me), and she faxed the EOB immediately and waited on the phone to make sure I got it.

I faxed it to the collection agency; game over - I win. UMR reps were always understanding, helpful, accommodating and expedient. I know they say people are more likely to leave a bad review than a good one, but I believe this company definitely deserves credit for the assistance they provided me, and continue to provide long after my coverage was ended. I would recommend them to anyone looking for good customer service.

Original review: March 10, 2016

My car door flew open in the wind and struck my face and I needed a couple sutures. I am an infrequent user of my health insurance. I go maybe once a year for my yearly physical and take no pharmaceuticals besides vitamins. After a $580 ER visit for the sutures United Healthcare hired an auditor to "investigate" to see if my auto insurance provider should foot the bill. The "auditor" was rude and sounded like she has way too much "ah ha I got you" in her voice on this minor expense, minor issue and "turned a molehill into a mountain" came to mind. I am sure United Healthcare spent more to "investigate" that my bill should be paid by my auto insurance versus if they had just paid the bill. Since this time, I have had Cigna and BC/BS, both awesome insurance companies with no issue. Good luck United Healthcare in your quest to do everything in your power to get out of paying anything.

Original review: March 8, 2016

I'm really disappointed with this Insurance. I can't find a local Doctor that accepts this. I've been seeing my Cardiologist for 4 years and didn't mind paying the $20 extra dollars but now I have to pay $160 in full when I see him every 6 months. There are probably others nearby but I can't seem to cancel this? I've called several 800 numbers that I was told to call and they said I had to do this on the internet? I'm so disgusted.

Original review: March 7, 2016

After dealing with a doctor that never so much as took my blood pressure I called. I needed a referral to mental health. I waited 3 months to be sent to one that is 150 miles away. It is like dealing with the 3 stooges. I filed complaints but give up changing out of this company that calls themselves a Insurance Company. I called more times and always put on hold because the "computer is acting up". Same excuse and hold time 20 minutes. They try to sound like they care but have no clue to what coverage is available.

Original review: March 3, 2016

My mom changed to Kaiser as of 1/1/16. After not realizing she couldn't see preferred doctors, she wanted to switch back to United Healthcare. After contacting United Health Care to see if we could go back, United Health Care advised us to cancel Kaiser and send them the paperwork so they can reinstate her. Now that Kaiser has cancelled and she has no insurance, United Health Care tells us that it is not possible. This shows that United Health Care is AN ORGANIZATION THAT DOES NOT EDUCATE THEIR EMPLOYEES AND TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR ACTIONS.

Original review: March 2, 2016

My company switched insurance companies to United/Oxford this year. I have never before had so many problems getting a medication that I have been taking for years. The medication was denied. My condition has gotten worse and am in pain which I explained to customer service. They say I need to try a substitute which I would be happy to do but it is not available to my pharmacy. In the meantime I am in pain and they are making me and my doctor jump through hoops. They are the worst, stay away.

Original review: March 2, 2016

This has been some of the worst customer service I have ever received. In a week, I have talked to at least 7 different representatives, spent 3 hours on hold, been promised 3 call backs (none of which have happened) - all just to confirm whether or not they received the referral from my doctors office. Every representative promised to contact the primary care office and resolve the issue, and it still has not happened.

Original review: March 1, 2016

In December I signed my wife and son up for a UHC Gold Plan in Texas. At that time I verified that their doctors and medications were covered by this plan, which was confirmed. At that time I was told that we could choose their primary care doctors. My wife's choice for PCP was her gynecologist, which they confirmed was fine. Well, that was the first lie. We found out in late January, when I called UHC that she could not use her gynecologist, even though he's on her plan. Then, UHC billed us twice around January 20th, 2016. Billing said they would send a refund check.

It's been almost 6 weeks, and we've received no check, no credit, no confirmation of one coming. Thirdly, and this is the most harmful fraud of all is that even though I verified my wife's prescription medications in December before signing up with them, and even though their two Apps (myUHC and OptumRx) showed her medications as being covered for her plan after putting her ID card registration in, which I have pictures of, they have denied coverage, and since my wife just ran out 5 days ago, her psychological health is in jeopardy.

These are medications that she's been on for 15 years and were covered by Golden Rule and Cigna, but UHC has fraudulently denied them, blaming no prior authorization from her psychiatrist, them blaming OptumRx, who in turn blames UHC. My wife's psychiatrist has filed an appeal, but according to her, UHC will drag this out for months, and they are the worst healthcare company to deal with. If this were a cancer or diabetes drug, she'd be dead! As it is, I may have to have her committed. So, I will take this to the insurance board of Texas, the Texas attorney general's office, the BBB, and all internet complaint sites.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2016

Enrolled in Bronze Compass 5500 plan with United Health Care through Marketplace Exchange. Online payment made but never made it into system. Coverage terminated without notice. UHC admits it was done in error but after spending 2 weeks making numerous phone calls nothing has changed. UHC billing page shows coverage in terminated status. Benefits page shows coverage still in effect. UHC will only accept phone payment directly from my banks accounts, which I refuse to do. They will not accept debit card or credit card payment on phone. When I go to webpage to pay online it won't let me because my coverage says "terminated." It's a total Catch-22.

None of their customer service specialists have been able to reinstate my coverage despite claiming they have initiated reinstatement many times. There was a 5-day waiting period that is long passed. I can't get another healthcare plan because open enrollments are all done. We are totally screwed. We will pay, no problem! We should not have to give UHC direct access to our bank accounts to do so! This is criminal.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2016

Clearly United Healthcare is well aware of the insurmountable issues they have in customer service. They use call centers in other countries for healthcare!! Additionally they unknowledgeable employees, specifically in the "prior authorization" department. Because of my employer group plan, we are with United Health. A prescription I have filled for 5 years with no issues AND other insurance providers have covered, United customers service says "no DENIED". I am advised (after paying the full cost charged by the pharmacy) by United customer service (AFTER 3 1 hour phone calls) to call the prior authorization department. The first call I followed the instructions of phone agent. Again United denied. I called back to prior authorization, followed their instructions which included a form filled out by my dr/staff and then I call again. I'm told it is the incorrect form. I requested the form. I am told rudely, the dr will know which form.

By this time I am extremely frustrated. The lack of consideration for the health care professionals is inexcusable. I call my dr's office and they have no idea why the form is incorrect. I call United back again. Prior authorization refused to fax or email the correct form to my doctor. I found a very helpful United customer service rep that escalated and found someone to help. United Healthcare behaves as though this is my job, my career to make sure the correct forms are being used. They act as though the healthcare professionals have nothing better to do than to create ways of wasting their precious time.

Every time I see one of their commercials I think why are spending money there instead of improving their system? They could care less about any of us and clearly there is a group that is gaining from what the members are losing. My hope is that there will be continued investigations into their poor, unprofessional treatment of the members.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2016

Husband is an retired iron worker - we had to change to United. We're very upset - but no problems whatsoever. Very satisfied. They have sent information to us. Calendars silver sneaker cards... using same dr. No problem with any meds. And we take some very expensive ones.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

United Health One consistently fails to automatically process payments, and sends out "Final Notice" for payments. The "Contact Us" page provides a phone number to an IVR - no option to email, let alone chat. Talking to an actual human can take upwards of an hour or more on hold. As a monopoly in my area, the cost is astronomical to begin with.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

I have recently become an independent contractor and signed up for United Health Care COMPASS insurance through open marketplace for 2016. It cost $1200 a month for my husband and I. I spent 3 hours yesterday calling all the doctors on their provider list looking for a primary care physician. No doctor takes this insurance! I called customer service and they just keep sending me their provider list. I feel like I am losing my mind. I am paying a lot of money for an insurance that I cannot use and the insurance company keeps sending me the list of the same providers that I already called. I live in downtown Manhattan. The latest provider list I received lists doctors in New Jersey and in Brooklyn. I think it is an unreasonable expectation that a person seeking medical care will travel across state border to receive medical help or a referral to a specialist. I am absolutely stunned by this situation and, honestly, don't know what to do.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

In June of 2015 I had a surgical prostate procedure. The hospital wanted over $500 before I even had the surgery. We used my wife's flex spending account to pay the hospital. When the claim processed, it was denied and deemed experimental. The hospital and I both appealed the decision. At the end of October, I got a letter from United stating that they accepted the appeal and would pay the hospital and the surgeon. All of this time, the hospital has been holding the money which we paid them in June. Two surgeries later, I met my maximum out of pocket which was $2,500, and that meant that the hospital was not entitled to any of that money.

After numerous calls to the hospital and United, I thought that I was finally getting a resolution in January. Sadly that was not the case. I was told that the checks would be mailed out, and I believe that they were. Rachael was the name of the United employee that helped me and told me that since I had met my maximum out of pocket, nothing would be due from me. When I received the explanation of benefits for the hospital bill, I was shocked to see that I could be billed for over $5,900 for supplies that were not allowed. After talking to another United employee, I was relieved when she told me that it was coded wrong and that I owed nothing.

I was bummed about the fact that it would take up to three weeks to send out the explanation of benefits to myself and the hospital. Of course every time that I spoke with the reps at United, it was made clear that this was a very important issue to me because the hospital would not give the money back until they had the EOB and this could be a closed case. Well after speaking to Rachael today, I found out that no letters have even been sent out yet, even though it is now several days past the three weeks that I was told. As I sit here typing this, the hospital has now been holding our money for over 8 months! Rachael told me that the letters will be mailed next Monday. Even knowing that I have been waiting for several months to get the money returned to us, the best that she could do is to mail it out 6 days from now. DISGRACEFUL!

It is obvious to me that United does not care at all to ensure that things are done correctly. They also do not have any concern for the people that they are supposed to be serving. I truly hope that an attorney sees what has gone on here and contacts me about what has gone on here. It should not be legal to hold onto money when it is not yours. I am being punished because of the incompetence of the employees at United. I have been lied to on numerous occasions. The lack of caring and the speed at which they handle claims is truly mind boggling. I'm confident in saying that it will be at least 9 months after the surgery until we get our money back. I would find this whole thing hard to believe if I was not dealing with it myself.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2016

I've been looking for an in-network mental health provider for YEARS. Went through 3 UHC professionals who dropped UHC after 4 months of starting work with them. Recently had an emergency situation, and spent over an hour on the phone (after ** around on the website trying to find what I needed for a half hour, complete with multiple time-outs and needing to log in again and again) to be shuffled from one barely comprehensible, thickly-accented, useless, impatient, grumpy peon to another.

Note - each of these grumpy peons had a completely different website that WASN'T LINKED TO THE MAIN UHC WEBSITE that I had to type in manually. And each of these websites had technical difficulties which were obviously "on my end" according to the huffy "support" personnel. Count: 5 escalations, 60 minutes combined phone time, not including the initial 15 minutes on hold waiting for a real person to answer the phone. The last person I spoke with was finally able to tell me she just couldn't help me. Die in a fire, United Health Care. You're completely useless. Why am I paying premiums? Why isn't there a class action lawsuit against you quacks yet?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2016

I needed two teeth capped. There was no dentist in this area in their system. I called and they said to get the work done and they would pay me back. It cost $4000.00. I sent them all the bills. After two months, they sent me a check for $25.00. Stay away from them. They are crooks, liars, thieves and a lot more but I am trying to be nice.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2016

I had been prescribed a daily medication by a family doctor and again by a specialist who called in a prescription for 30 days. When I got it home, I found out that these people agreed with the daily dosage but only allowed 3 pills per month. Repeated calls by my pharmacist, Doctors and me failed to change their mind - the only advice that they could give my was to buy it online at my own expense. I found a source online which was only 1/2 of what these people were charging me on the copay for the 3 pills they gave me. They also refused a prescription for a medication which is only manufactured in a sixty day supply. That approved the drug but only for 30 days even though nobody manufactured it in 30 day dosages. These are totally dishonest people who manufacture reasons to avoid paying legitimate claims.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2016

I made this account so that I could review United Healthcare specifically. Almost everyday there is an issue with United, either canceling my plan for no reason or not processing my payments. I have spent COUNTLESS HOURS on the phone trying to fix my insurance plan because of mistakes on their end. Last year, I had to file a formal complaint with the Division of Consumer Services because they had enrolled me in two healthcare plans at the same time, and were insisting that I pay the premiums for both for five months. This went on from July until November. After trying everything through their customer service and billing phone numbers I eventually compiled my payments in a credit card statement and what they showed online, along with a letter detailing my frustration and the situation. It was finally resolved by the state.

I should have known to cancel my plan with United then, but I don't want to find new doctors because of different insurance so I have stuck with them. The problems have only continued. This January (two months after that last issue), United Healthcare canceled my insurance without any authorization. I was still in the grace period, when I asked why it was canceled they said they didn't know. My insurance was reinstated but I still had to pay premiums for January and February despite not "technically" being insured because of their constant mistakes.

To give you an idea of what having a plan with United is like: Today I could not get my prescription at the scheduled time because United still reflected that I had not paid my premium. The $588.11 that I owed for January and February was taken out of my account on Wednesday, February 17th. I had to call United and ASK THEM to please update their system to reflect those payments. Do not, under any circumstances, opt into a plan with United. You will face constant problems, poor customer service, and ridiculous answers to the most basic questions. Worst company I have ever dealt with in my life.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2016

I was insured by United Healthcare for most of 2015. During open enrollment I found a new and better policy that fit my needs for 2016. I went online and "unchecked" the box that allowed United Healthcare to automatically withdraw the monthly payment to them from my bank account. I then paid my last premium via credit card. I never rechecked the automatic payment option. I checked my bank statement and saw that UHC withdrew the next month's payment from my bank without my permission. When I called the gentleman (Kim) acknowledged the error and said for some reason their system reverted back to the auto payment option. He saw where I opted out but said he would have to submit a form to their Finance Dept. requesting reimbursements for the funds that they withdrew from my bank account WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.

I followed up about a week later and they said that they are denying my refund because I did not officially cancel my policy through the Maryland Marketplace. I told them I tried to cancel with The Maryland Marketplace but could not get through to them. (When you call you just stay on hold forever.) I understand that I did not cancel through The Maryland Marketplace but that does not allow them to withdrawal an automatic payment without my permission. I then spoke with a Supervisor (Terry) who said there was nothing she could do and has no idea how or why their system "popped back on" the option for automatic payment. So she admits their system "pooped back on" that option without my knowledge. I pleaded with her because the payment is quite high. She finally admitted that she does not have the authority to give me a refund. She said I had to talk to her Finance Department.

I asked for their phone # and she said she doesn't know it and has no way of finding it for me. So a Supervisor in United Healthcare's Customer Service Department acknowledges that their system in error reverted or in her words "popped back on" the option to automatically withdraw a payment from my bank. She then has no authority to refund what is owed to me. She also has no access to the Finance Department who she says is the Department that I need to speak to to get the refund owed to me. UHC admits their error but still refuses to refund me the high monthly payment owed to me. I will be lodging a formal complaint with the Maryland Insurance Board and with any other agency I can find to report that United Healthcare withdrew money from my bank account without my permission and admitted it but they still refuses to reimburse me!

United Health Care Company Information