Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
3.12/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

1597 United Health Care Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I bought a supplement F plan online, a month later found I needed a prescription plan also, so went back online and got a Medicare complete plan. In May, had a stent installed, a week later got bills over 4000 dollars. Called United Healthcare, they told me I cannot have both policies, and did not honor the supplement plan that would have paid the bills completely, but used the Advantage plan. They continued to take the supplement payment of 183.47 a month from my account, but did not honor the plan. They said nothing they can do. If I can't have both plans together, why let me get them, they say sorry. How many senior citizens are they ripping off on a daily basis? No conscience stealing from seniors with little income.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

My employer gave me pretty much no choice but to go to United Health Care. Unfortunately I am on Medicare which means the Medicare Advantage Plan was selected for me. I was told my insurance would be really good because the Medicare Advantage Plan is a PPO. Yeah, right! A PPO is only of value if your doctor will still see you with it.

Shortly after the switch to United Health Care, I found myself filling out more forms in doctor’s office and signing more papers stating that if my insurance did not pay, I would. So when United Health Care denied claims and told me my obligation was $0 that wasn't exactly true because I'd already signed papers with the doctors stating I would still be obligated to pay. I don't blame the doctors though, they need to be paid for their services. Also, I have found that some of my doctors are completely opting out of Medicare which means I can't see them anymore at all but my husband still can. He is not on Medicare so his policy is an HMO.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I have had nothing but good help from them. Fast to OK referrals and they call to make sure I'm getting the kind of car I need. Always a great group. I would recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

United Health Care reps are polite and professional but poorly trained. They are not knowledgeable & the claims process is tedious & time-consuming due to the constant errors in processing. Unfortunately, I can't change carriers or I would.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

In April I started going to the VA for my health care. I had over 400 worth of scripts that I paid for out of my pocket. I filled out the paperwork to be reimbursed for my out of pocket expense and was turned down saying they will not pay a government entity. What the hell??? They will not cover the veterans of the United States? I tried to cancel and was told I can't cancel until Oct. I stopped my auto pay and will not pay them any more money. They have 5 months of payments and have done nothing to help me since I started going to the VA.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I signed up to receive Medicare PART D with United Health Care RX starting July 1, 2017. I had to prepay the month of July $74.30 each for my wife and same amount for myself. A week into July I discovered that the service provided by this company was terrible, both in answering questions as well as being able to talk to them. They even gave me a false phone number when I talked to a man called Moses at the company. He gave me ** which belongs to a spam user.

I then immediately cancelled our membership after having paid for both my wife and self. No problem since I was within the period in which I could change. End of July I receive a bill for two payments of $74.30 claiming I owed that much for July and if I didn't pay up it would go to collection. Not wanting to jeopardize my credit I paid again and tried calling them to receive a refund for the double charge. Cannot talk to anybody who would be able to take responsibility and talk to me. Have all receipts as cancelled checks both for pre and post July as well as confirmation number of the cancellation. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I have never dealt with a company that is as frustrating as United Health Care. Every time I call this company to check the status of a claim, I am either told they can't find it, it's not on file, I have to resubmit something, etc. Since I take excellent notes of every conversation with this company I stand my ground and insist the information is there. Generally the information then magically appears in their files. Yesterday I asked a customer service person if they have to look at multiple screens or places to find the information and he said, "Yes, it's not all in the same place." That may be what's creating the problem or it can be outright deceit. I think their tactic is to completely frustrate their customers so they give up on their claim. That would really help their bottom line and I honestly think that's what's going on.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I am a biller for a company that is participating with United Healthcare insurance, this company is not only terrible for and to the members but they're horrible for the providers as well. We call to verify benefits upon and before servicing members, if it requires an authorization (which states at the bottom of the form is not a guarantee of payment). It takes 10-14 business days for a response, we call a few days later to check the status and they say they haven't received anything, we fax again, check a couple more days later, again UHC is stating they haven't received anything. Just another way for UHC to avoid servicing the patient all together.

Finally, they receive the authorization, it gets approved, patient is serviced, claims deny as not a covered benefit. Even after calling claims department, authorizations department and going through our provider representative, they still refuse to pay the claims because "Authorization does not guarantee payment". What good is an authorization, if you're not going to pay the claims? Also, patients will come in, and we know, for example, an E0118 is not a covered benefit, it is NOT on the Medicaid Fee Schedule, which UHC states they follow, they tell the patients that it is covered and that we're liars. I have personally billed UHC for an E0118, providing the authorization and names and reference numbers of people we spoke to at UHCC along with the claim. They deny as not a covered benefit and when you appeal it they still deny it. Currently, we're one of the many providers being underpaid on multiple claims.

This has been an issue since 2014 (that we're aware of, who knows how long before I came in that they were underpaying these claims), and we have PROOF and a CONTRACT that states EXACTLY what they should be paying when a CLEAN CLAIM is submitted on a 1500 form with ALL documentation attached, and they deny it for "no documentation attached". A previous employee of UHC explained that when paper claims come in the door at UHC, they detach the documents from the claim, the claim gets entered and the documents go somewhere else. Since January of 2015, ours and many other companies have been taking many loses with UHC. They always give patients and providers wrongful information, and we're told that ad providers were to be held accountable.

I would never ever suggest this insurance to any member or, I've already got my family members to switch their insurance, and due to the underpaid claims, we're no longer accepting UHC patients. Our patients are loyal and have already decided they're switching insurance so they can stay with us. I hope this review will help deter people from picking this insurance company, nothing will ever change our minds or make us go back.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I've been trying to get a medication approved from United Health Care for over 2 months. My doctor has submitted 2 PA forms a 2 Appeals in order to get this medication approved. In the last Appeals letter, we included Genetic testing results stating the medication was the ONLY Medication that works within my body. The last Appeals document, my doctor was very transparent as to reasons why this medication is required. I'm now informed that the medication I'm prescribed to take twice a day, exceeds my medication plan. This is Absolutely RIDICULOUS! When did an insurance company become a physician? When did insurance companies decide what or how many medications the patient requires? I had Blue Cross Blue Shield; I'VE NEVER HAD THIS MUCH TROUBLE OBTAINING THE MEDICATIONS THAT MY DOCTOR HAS PRESCRIBED ME!

I've spent countless hours, countless weeks, my doctor has spent countless hours, countless weeks submitting your paperwork. EVERY Time I call United Health Care, I'm transferred to a new person, new division, I'm told to submit new paperwork, I'm told to fax new paperwork. My pharmacy is caught in the middle of this disaster, they are only trying to fill the medication I've been taking for over 4 years, and United Health Care is making this task IMPOSSIBLE!!! This is ABSOLUTELY THE WORST INSURANCE COMPANY I'VE EVER HAD TO DEAL WITH! Their Customer service representatives are not helpful, in fact they are RUDE! I've requested to speak to someone on the corporation level, only to be told, that is not possible.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I certainly cannot begin to tell the nightmare story. Trying to find a PCP was hell enough. On the website for PCP's 50% of those doctors do not take this lousy insurance or they are rated so low with online reviews you might as well pay out of pocket to get decent care. The real test was trying to find a psychiatrist. The Acclaim under Optum is an absolute joke. 89.9% of those type doctors are seeing ONLY in patients, half are not on the plan, even though the website says they are. Called United multiple times. They gave me the same list I was already looking at. A care advocate called back one day and found me a psychiatrist. Catch was - she was in Greenville, TX, oh say about 2 hour drive. That's when I went hunting on my own.

Talked again with them today and they gave me two names of a nurse practitioner. Called those numbers and those two NP's are not even working at the office anymore. When you need mental health, it is impossible as their lousy list is so screwed up, i.e. wrong #'s listed for doctors, you put your zip code in and it may pull up doctors in Houston, when it specifically says they do take this substandard cheaper than dirt insurance on the website, you call and find out they do not.

Verizon has really screwed over its retirees by putting them under doctors and Optum is an absolute joke. They still haven't paid ME back for all the times I had to go out on my own and find another doctor as I paid out of pocket. This is a doctor's office that takes traditional Medicare, so they do not file with United Health Care Medicare Advantage, but United says I can file a claim myself and I will be reimbursed!!! Yeah, when hell freezes over! I have this sorry substandard United government run crap of insurance. Your employees were loyal to you for 40 years and you put them on the lousiest, cheapest insurance you can find.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I had total hip replacement in June, 2017. United Health Care made payment to the assistant surgeon in a timely matter. But the surgeon's charge was denied. I might not be the smartest person on earth, but does that make any sense? I contacted United Health and asked why the assistant surgeon was paid and the surgeon was not, doing the exact same surgery, on the exact same patient, on the exact same hip. The answer was the coding was wrong.

I checked and the coding is the exact same for both surgeons. So I am under the impression, if United Health doesn't want to cover the costs, they can say the coding is incorrect and not cover the expense. This has also happened with 11 visits to the physical therapist that treated me after surgery. So far United Health has denied over $8000.00 of benefits. I paid for the insurance but I guess it comes down to coding if your costs are covered.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I incurred a bill of $198 from Honor Health in Scottsdale AZ on Jan 18, 2016. Today is August 3, 2017. Since February 2016 I have made no less than 32 calls to UHC to get reimbursed. I paid this bill late last year in frustration. I have been shuffled between UHC Tier 1 and LifePrint with each saying the other is responsible. Each time a new case has been opened or a rep told me it was sent to the wrong group; one excuse after another. Nobody has the power to resolve a case especially one involving such a small sum of money. You should not expect a response without a 30 day period going by after any call to Member Services. It just gets shuffled from one group to another. During this period I was told to submit written claims with receipts to 2 different P.O. boxes in 2 different states. Nobody ever responded and there is no phone number to these claims offices.

Today Member Services said the National Experience Center could help, but this office would not accept new calls. While I had no complaint about the actual doctor experience in 2016, UHC member services is set up to avoid a quick resolution. This company seems to be gigantic. You can never get the same person more than once, that person expresses empathy but cannot resolve a problem! The buck stops with nobody. This company should be either dissolved or completely reorganized with "customer service" in mind. There is no excuse for the way they treat consumers. My next step is to call back in 30 more days. UHC management: are you listening???

Original review: July 31, 2017

I have sent numerous letters and made many phone calls to UHC about the horrible experience I had after surgery. I was charged for services that I was not given. There were many other problems also. I have letter from hospital stating they agreed with my complaints but they were sorry and could not lower my part of the charges. UHC denied my appeal, seemingly not even reading any of the details, letters from me and the hospital. They sent me a letter reviewing my medical plan! I knew I had copays and coinsurance payments with my plan - that WAS NOT my appeal. I was NOT appealing my charges, I was appealing the charges from the hospital that should not have been.

I spoke to a manager at UHC again and she is resubmitting the claim. I can't afford an attorney to "sue" the hospital because for a few thousand it would not be worth an attorney's time. It is ridiculous that UHC won't investigate my medical records and ask for funds to be returned to them, they just went ahead and paid the bill even though I did not get all the services. Another thing, home physical therapy came to my house a couple of times for a few minutes and they we canceled physical therapy. They charged as if I had spent hours with them and UHC paid that also. And they wonder why premiums are so high in the US. Sucks.

Original review: July 31, 2017

Example 1: Patient A has AARP Plan 1 HMO. Upon verification, no auth or referral is needed. Patient A was seen about 16 times. After some denials and collections back and forth, all dates were paid, leaving a patient copay of $40/visit, except one DOS where they decided to pay less, claiming the patient owed $80. We tried clearing this discrepancy up with the insurance but it wasn't until we notified the patient what was going on and spoke with our "senior provider advocate" that the issue was resolved (half a year later). Why do we need to file an appeal for a mistake clearly made by the insurance? Issue: Resolved.

Example 2: Patient B also has AARP Plan 1 HMO. She has many claims denied because the provider did not state the time spent on procedure codes. After much back and forth, and addendums, most claims were paid and some still pending. However for 1 DOS, we received a denial because OPTUM alleges that requested info was not received, even though we submitted it on their online portal, Link. We called them to tell them that we submitted the info requested online, giving them the ticket # **. We were told it was rerouted for review and to give them 15-30 days.

We rcvd notice from OPTUM about a week after stating "requested info not rcvd." Called OPTUM again and was told that the claims review team denied it because they are now confused with all the dates on the clinical notes submitted. The claims review team (which is unreachable) is perplexed by "date of daily note," "date of injury/onset/change of status," "date of original eval," and "date of birth" all being on one piece of paper. The only way to resolve is if we further submit an appeal or submit another reconsideration. Why do we need to file an appeal for a mistake clearly made by the insurance? Issue: Pending.

Overall, representatives are generally nice but rather unhelpful, with a few exceptions. Advice for other providers: keep track of everything you send (call reference numbers and even the total number of pages sent) and submit everything you can either online or via fax because you can expect these people either a. provide inaccurate info (say they never rcvd anything) and/or b. redirect back and forth with OPTUM and UHC and/or c. tell you to file an appeal or another recon (which really means, hope you have better luck next time but in the meantime, please wait 30-60 days).

Original review: July 31, 2017

Company switched from BCBS to United Health Care. I have been taking certain medicines for years and able to stay healthy with Crohn's. Now I have to switch to other medicines and fail before I can get medicines I know work. A big THANK YOU to the folks at United Health Care for screwing over consumers. I think it's time to get new job that offers BCBS. They make you jump through too many hoops. Look folks I'm just trying to stay outta the hospitals. I do believe that costs a little more. LOL Thanks HR at CRANEMASTER for making the switch since you obviously have affiliation with them! FALSE statements like you'll definitely be able to keep your maintenance medications. What a joke.

Original review: July 28, 2017

Recently, I received a total permanent disability from Ohio Police & Fire. The insurance coverage they offer is through United Health Care (UHC). I'm on specialty drugs and UHC will not work with or pay for these with the current pharmacy. Instead, you're REQUIRED to buy these drugs through their "specialty pharmacy" or they WILL NOT pay anything towards them. Their prices for the same GENERIC drug are 50% higher.

When I transferred these prescriptions to them, they then would not fill them at the designated time to make sure that I didn't have to be without them and have a lapse between dosages. Only after three (3) continual days of calling and being pushed off to one after another "so-called" service representatives, on the third day I was about to melt down and lose my religion, but was lucky enough to finally be connected to a young lady named Nina who was a trouble shooter. Ms. Nina worked with me for about two and a half hours by reaching out to other departments and their home office. To make a long story short, Nina corrected the problem, made sure that my medication was shipped out so that I wouldn't be without it and corrected the reorder problem.

However, while still working as a policeman, I was for a time our union president and on various occasions had cause to deal with insurance companies and Worker Compensation. Then as now, these companies employ tactics that will either deny services, attempt to coerce you into accepting inferior services or deny paying valid claims - UNLESS you appeal these rulings and demand proper services and payment. They also count on most people becoming complacent or just surrender and either pay for something that they shouldn't have to or accept the second rate services. It readily appears that UHC utilizes these operating procedures on an everyday/every claim basis.

These practices and other like them, are how and why our health care system have given rise to multi-billion dollar industries (insurance companies and big pharmaceutical companies). Unfortunately, our legislators and other public officials don't adequately do their jobs to protect the taxpayer, senior citizen, veterans and all others that rely on them to act in the best interest of the public at large. These insurance companies can continue to use these slipshod methods because they have huge leverage through lobbying our elected official with enormous campaign contributions if these officials vow to support actions that further strengthens their hold on the poor working class. These assaults on the workers (both still working, retired or disabled) must come to an end. We must be watchful and do everything in our power to right these ongoing great wrongs. Thank you for giving me a chance to blow off some steam.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I purchased the best dental plan available with United Healthcare + vision along with it which came to around 45$ as my monthly payment which is a fair price. Recently I had to have dental procedures done which came to around 758$ and a 19$ visit fee. They verified my insurance and notified me that I had an activate plan, but it would be 1+ year before they would cover ANYTHING but fillings despite having I believe the golden plan which is the best one with what I understood immediate effective coverage.

I ended up having to pay OUT of pocket 758$ for the procedure and the 19$ out of my own pocket with ZERO help from United Healthcare. When I contacted them they informed me it would be over another year before they would begin covering any procedures other than fillings despite my plan. On the positive side I will say the customer service is quite fast and effective and courteous as well along with being quite knowledgeable of any information/questions I had, and helped me quite quickly through the enrollment process over the phone. Overall I would strongly advise AGAINST using United Healthcare for any form of insurance unless you are willing to shell out cash on the spot or payments of your own for procedures prior to their horrible waiting period.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I am a preferred provider for UHC and since Optum has taken over handling claims they are not paying valid health insurance claims. Their insured and providers need to file complaints with the Texas Department of Insurance, TDI and action should be taken against them for not honoring their contracts. I treat their insured in good faith and need to be paid in good faith on valid claims.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I understand why most people despise drug companies. You provide product information only. It is obvious from your websites that you really don't want to know what your customers think about your products. I was recently prescribed ** daily dose 5mg. My insurance is United Health Care. I have the one of the best plans available. In my 10-years of having this insurance I have never experienced a more ridiculous decision. I was told they would only cover 18 tablets for a 90 day period. This is a daily medication! I was told that it's so ridiculously expensive this is why it's often not covered. Perhaps you could stop showing your repetitive commercials that we see every single day and night constantly. Instead you could actually lower the cost of this medication so that people can actually use it!!!

Original review: July 14, 2017

I have sleep apnea my entire life and recently attempted to seek treatment to prolong my life. My father died as from complications related to sleep apnea. I was scheduled for an overnight sleep study with my doctor, but United Health Care denied it at the last minute and instead I was given a take home test to perform at home. This was frustrating, but I went ahead with it. I was diagnosed with moderately severe sleep apnea and did 30 days with an APAP machine. My doctor then told me we need to do a "titration" overnight at the office to dial the machine in so it would work better for me as I was swallowing air and waking up due to the pressure being to high.

A day before the study, I received a call from my doctor's office telling me they were still dealing with the insurance company trying to get approval. It was scheduled on a Sunday night, so I heard nothing over the weekend and arrived to an empty office. The mere fact that I pay quite a lot of money to have healthcare and then am denied the coverage I need for a diagnosed medical condition is despicable. United Health Care seems to think they know better than my doctor and are denying me treatment intended to prolong my life as well as increase my quality of life. This should be illegal. I am furious.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I just became under United. Well let me put it this way. My approval will start August 1st. Of course I can't log in. The coverage is idiotic. No eyeglasses. No Chiropractor. They give you absolutely nothing and my payment to the rheumatoid doctor is higher. Primary is higher at this stage of the game. I have no choice The coverage that I have. Now their Rheumatoid doctor in my area "I'm not accepting new patients." I have to drive 20 miles away that's where I have to drive and I was willing. Unfortunately they're taking no more new patients so I'm stuck with United. Well speaking to a rep at United he wouldn't even allow me to go on this site and pick out my primary doctor. He picked it up and said "you can always change it." No kidding. I will hold on to this coverage until my other insurance coverage adds more Drs.

Original review: July 11, 2017

Terrible coverage. Multiple communications with "customer care" that proved futile as they seem to provide generic responses to any billing questions. Hardly any providers accept this coverage, especially in the holistic care field. This company is terrible and I hope my employer switches insurance providers.

Original review: July 11, 2017

In March I had a scheduled surgery on my shoulder. My doctor submitted all of the necessary pre-surgical forms to United and it was a covered procedure. When my surgeon actually opened the area up he determined that a similar, but different procedure would be more successful in resolving my shoulder injury. This was also a covered procedure, although not the procedure we had initially anticipated. I paid my deductible and surgical fees prior to the surgery. United has denied the procedure because my surgeon determined the alternate procedure would provide better results. This denial resulted in my payment of the deductible being negated and United charging my deductible again as they did not honor the first deductible.

The surgeon has appealed the denial and United has again denied the claim. This is a covered surgery under my policy. The surgeon performed the work and is entitled to his fees. Moreover I should not have to pay my deductible twice. I have called United a half dozen times about this; it took at least three calls for me to get the full story. Initially they blamed the doctor. Now the reps do recognize the inequity of the situation but "have no control" over the claim being denied. Every time I call I get put off and hear that I should wait 30 days. This is frustrating and United is clearly in the wrong. They should honor their very expensive health insurance policy.

Original review: July 10, 2017

My benefit year ends on June 30 and I had met my out of pocket for the year - of $5600!! On June 21 a order was sent to uhc for approval of my cpap. UHC didnt approve this until July 1, so I had to start my deductible and out of pocket all over again! Can't convince me that this was 'just by chance' that it wasnt approved in June!

Then a prescription I had been taking for OVER 10 years they decided to deny. After 12 days without ANY of that medication, they decided to approve INSTEAD of the TWO 200 mg twice a day that I was taking they thought that approving the same medication as follows ~ TWENTY ~ YEP I SAID TWENTY 25mg pills a day would be better!!! WTF?!?

Now I have fibromyalgia and was first given **, what made things soooooo horribly worse, so then my Dr gave me samples of **. This works AMAZING! Of course, it has to be pre-authorized. THREE weeks later and 2 denials, they say I have to try TWO other medications, separately, and then if those don't work... maybe they will reconsider!!! I am just so frickin' amazed at what they can do! Granted I have employer health insurance, but it still isn't cheap and every single thing is an issue! I just can't seem to understand that! If you didn't need the equipment/medication the dr wouldn't have prescribed it! How do they continue to get away with the crap they do???

Original review: July 6, 2017

When reputed senior specialists prescribe medical tests, authorizations are being denied repeatedly. Other specialists I have consulted have agreed with the prescriptions. I think these decisions are being taken by a company to which United has outsourced this work. Either United has to authorize these tests or send the members to the specialists whose decision they respect.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I was forced into this insurance when my company changed providers. I needed to order some prescription meds. I received a call from the pharmacy stating the order had been red flagged by United. The pharmacy received a call stating they would need the doctor to rewrite the script detailing how much I needed to take each day and when. This is insulin and the script was written PRN.

I spoke to United and explained this. They told me they could approve 15 units per day. I told them that I take up to 80 units per day and if they knew anything about diabetics, they should know that you cannot predict how many units you are going to need everyday. That's why it's written PRN! I told them If I were restricted to 15 units a day, my A1C would be off the charts. I asked if I could speak with the person who called the pharmacy? They couldn't even determine who that was. I'm just hoping that my ** can get this fixed. I already hate this company and I've only been with them 5 days!

Original review: July 1, 2017

We try to join the YMCA but UnitedHealthcare does not honor physical Fitness in the state of Florida. I feel like that's discrimination that is for the senior citizens. I feel like they need it more than anybody.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I am so over UHC and thankfully changed health care providers the first of this year. They paid a claim last summer and then they took the payment back from my doctor's office and I had to make payment out of pocket a year later! OMG! WTHeck? My husband is on ** for diabetes and UHC wouldn't cover ** (a once a week injection) and he had to go on ** (a daily injection), so we also had to pay for needles for the **. What a piece of crap this insurance company is... Not at all caring...

Original review: June 30, 2017

My small company took on a client who has UHC benefits for private duty nursing services. We verified the benefits and were told that benefits were covered and no pre certification was required. We were not able to access their website until we became a Optum user and acquired a username and password. That took several months. In the meantime, we started providing services.

After months of trying to gain access to the website so that we could submit our first bill (which was now 3 months old), the claim was paid! This began in March 2016. Then, the headaches started. We have been denied over and over again, for the exact same line item on the same invoice for different reason. For example, Take a invoice for services on the 1st through the 7th... the 1st is paid, 2nd is denied for wrong code (which was the exact same as the 1st which was paid, and so on. Nothing on the invoice changes, but the date of service. So, we resubmit, and get a whole different set of denials.

The insured can't afford the bill, which is why we verified benefits to begin with. This has cost us a tremendous amount of administrative time, hours of heartache for me (the business owner), and has put a financial strain on my company. All because we took on a client that had UHC insurance. This client is a Medicaid beneficiary, but we can't bill Medicaid because UHC is denying coverage for every reason in the book but won't say "benefits are exhausted" or "benefits are not covered". So, we are stuck with over 100k of invoices that remain unpaid.

I think something has to be illegal about the way this had been handled. To add insult to injury, at some point the "precertification policy" changed in 2017. We believe in April, however we have gotten multiple answers from UHC. Our client, wasn't informed, we weren't notified, and we were told that it is our responsibility to check this. So, we were one month late getting "precertification" this year.

We submitted the required documents, including physician's orders, plan of care, etc. Then they required a "peer to peer" review between the doctor and a UHC representative....guess what. DENIED. According to UHC skilled nursing services are not required to take care of a child with a tracheostomy, has respiratory failure, requires tube feedings via a gastrostomy tube, chest percussions, breathing treatments, or assessment of respiratory status. According to UHC, this is considered custodial care, in other words, a babysitter down the street should be able to care of this child... a nurse is not needed. So, I have a question, why does this policy say that private duty nursing services are covered on this plan?

Original review: June 27, 2017

This is been one of the most frustrating and unbelievable time consuming issue, due to false policy information. I will have to take this issue on full time. I went to hospital, stayed a couple of days, this hospital was tier 1 as I confirmed online and with customer svc rep. prior to going to ER. They now say this is a tier 2 hospital and will only pay as such. Please know these people are rude, unknowledgeable from person to person, would not pull my phone calls with reps, and even though I told them I looked online and provided a pic of online information stating tier 1, and the CSR phone call refs. #, they still say I am wrong. My advice is to steer clear. I already have a full time job, and pay for my insurance, and cannot afford the time consuming efforts of this. It is costing me my vacation and ability to pay my bills.

United Health Care Company Information