1.63/5

1379 United Health Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 2, 2016

UHC is terrible. They changed overnight with pain medicine and stopped paying for it. They lie and are downright rude. I would not recommend them to anybody. They care nothing about your health at all.

Original review: July 30, 2016

I called UnitedHealthcare (UHC) to reconsider my AARP Medicare supplemental insurance policy. I had had UHC AARP Medicare Complete HMO for 2015. I was unhappy with that policy because, literally, they paid nothing for any of my doctors' claims – nada, zero, nil, $0.00. I wanted to use AARP and there was only UHC listed for New York State on AARP's website. I thought AARP looked for seniors. WRONG! I spoke with a UHC sales representative over the phone who said that the PPO policy would cover those claims from doctors that I had been using.

They lied. UHC covered less this year – so far – than they did under the HMO plan. Plus, they convinced that for only $20 a month more they would provide dental that matched the MetLife plan I had in 2015. Wrong – they had lied. They have cover exactly nothing out of over $3,000 in dental bills I have had this year. UHC blatantly lied to me 2 years in a row. If I had a choice, I would choose any other insurer. Since I don't, I will go without supplemental insurance in 2017. AARP did not look out for me. Shame on me for believing a money making operation looks out for anything other than their profits and their executives' salaries.

Original review: July 27, 2016

The worst experience ever, the concept is not to pay the claims until we call and fight. I and my husband used to pay more than 1000 for the premium and at the same time they refused to pay his ER and anesthesia bills when he had an emergency abdominal pain in the weekend plus that they refused to pay my OB/GYN bills for 6 months and when we got the bills and called they said "you are not covered" :( and after 30 minutes of fight over the phone they realized that there was a mistake and I am covered. They have the most horrible medical claim system ever. I will never go with them anymore.

Original review: July 26, 2016

I have had NOTHING, but bad experiences with UHC the past year. The most incompetent people/company I have ever come across. They lie, change answers, rules, bill you for whatever whenever they want and are constantly taking money/overcharging. They only paid $11 towards my copay then tell me my Dr. is now out of network. No notice, no letter, nothing. I use GoodRx for most of my prescriptions because it's cheaper NOT having insurance. They paid $25 towards 1 medication and charged me $121. It only costs $36 with GoodRx. How is that possible?

Original review: July 26, 2016

I tried to pay my bill today. I have been attending this for 4 hours through the automated service and online service and a representative. No one can help me for the right man to pay my bill. I am very dissatisfied with the service. Every person blamed it on their policy. Now I am going to be penalized because their lack of service. I would not recommend United Health Care to anybody that I know.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Health Care?

Original review: July 25, 2016

The United Health one Golden Rule plan is basically designed to impose strict limit access to services and shift cost burden to consumers on prescription drugs. For example, even on a popular generic drug the company slots it a tier 3 requiring a minimum $135 customer payment -- after a $500 co-pay mind you. This on a drug that can be had for $100 less wholesale.

Original review: July 24, 2016

United Healthcare is a terrible company. They always find a way to cheat the customer. My family has been subscribed to United Healthcare through the employer for 10 years. We have Choice Plus plan that cover 100% (no deductible) for annual physical checkup including routine exams and well child care, immunizations, well woman and well man exams, etc. We didn't pay anything in the past until this year, United Healthcare Insurance refused to pay our provider for annual physical checkup, so the provider went after us.

I contacted United Healthcare, a person from UH, Dexter ** blamed the provider for submitting incorrect code in the claim (although the provider submitted the same code sin the claim for 10 years) and he stated he has arranged an outreach to the provider to inform them to submit the corrected claim with the appropriate procedure code and the diagnosis code in order to process the claim as preventive. One month later, the provider sent me another bill with a note "your insurance has determined that the remaining balance is your responsibility". Now, I cannot trust the people working from UH and I'm in the process for appealing to their upper management.

Original review: July 19, 2016

I've been plagued with lower back issues for many years and I've been using a pain management clinic for several years. In order to get to the bottom of the issue, I consulted an orthopedic surgeon. The doctor, after reviewing my MRI, said due to the nature of my condition that surgery wasn't an option. The MD suggested a spinal stimulator. After returning to my pain management clinic (they perform the stimulator procedure) they submitted the results to UHC. After a couple of months, I was informed the UHC approved the trial implant.

I had the procedure and to my amazement it worked great. Virtually no pain other than post-procedure discomfort. My pain management schedule the permanent a week later. Several days prior I called UHC to see that it had been approved. CS said one of the two had been and the final approval was with the Medical Director - that there shouldn't be any problems getting it approved. The afternoon before the procedure my doctor's office called to say that UHC wasn't going to approve the procedure and that I should call and find out why. They also said that they've never had a patient that was approved for trial that wasn't approved for the implant.

I called CS at UHC and got the runaround. When I asked why for the trial and not the permanent implant they said I didn't meet three "criteria's". When asked what they were nobody could tell me what they were. If I didn't meet three "criteria's" then why did they put me through the pain and expense of the trial. I feel as though UHC really screwed me over by "baiting" me with the positive results of the trial and denying me the permanent implant. There are several others where I work that have had similar negative experiences with UHC. I wouldn't recommend UHC to my worst enemy. They're just terrible.

Original review: July 15, 2016

I wish I could give zero stars. This company is a complete joke. I feel like their end all goal is to make sure everyone that has insurance with them dies so they don't have to cover any claims. The point of having insurance is to have anything in the medical field covered. Since day one of having this insurance, it has been a nightmare. I have had health problems since my senior year of high school (I'm now 23) and trying to find a good insurance is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I chose United Health Care because they had a good prescription program. Biggest mistake.

I was very sick for about a year straight. I was in the hospital multiple times, changing medications and getting different tests done. My last hospital stay was in February for five days, four nights. I had multiple tests run and UHC denied the whole thing. They said it wasn't "medically necessary" for me to stay. Even though when I called and had a fit about it the lady I spoke with got very defensive and told me "she isn't a doctor." OKAY so how are you telling me I'm not sick enough to be in the hospital for FIVE days?

I was put on a new medication, which was a nightmare to get covered, then they had to up my dose after the hospital stay because it was clearly not working. It took about a month for them to "approve" the upped dose. This was after they told me and my doctor that I didn't give the first dose long enough. Even though I had just spent five days in the hospital so it was quite clear it wasn't working at ALL. I ended up having an allergic reaction to this medication and had to be switched to an infusion.

I'm 23 years old and I had to go once a month to a cancer center, get hooked up to machines and sit there for 5-6 hours getting the infusion done. I was a nervous wreck all the time, I hated it. I am too young to be this sick and it kills me. I was going to the cancer center at the hospital I've been going to for years. I'm finally comfortable with the situation. The nurses there are amazing and they have gone above and beyond to make me feel comfortable in such a bad situation.

Well now I'm getting told by UHC that it is too expensive for me to go there and I need to find something new. OKAY so why am I even paying for an insurance that won't cover my medications, hospital stays and now my infusions? If it was too expensive, why did they even let me start there, get used to going there and take it all away and tell me no? I called UHC and they told me AGAIN it's not "medically necessary" for me to go there when there are cheaper options. I'm glad my health doesn't matter at all and it all comes down to a dollar sign. God forbid something go wrong and I'm not in a well-equipped facility, I die. But again, maybe that's the end goal for UHC.

Original review: July 15, 2016

I have had prescription solutions managing a medicare part D service through the Pennsylvania State Employees Retirement System. Health Options Program HOP is the name of the supplemental insurance through PSERS. Hop has apparently outsourced the part D drug provided benefits to Prescription Solutions who in turn has outsourced the drug provider benefits to optumRX a subsidiary of United Health Care. For a number of years OPTUMrx and United Health Care has never delivered my prescriptions on time and when I call to find out why, I am told it was the Doctor's office fault, or my fault or nobody's fault and then we start the next time with blaming the Doctor's office on Infinitum. They are incompetent, irresponsible and incapable of managing this system.

In addition to this problem, two eyeglass companies will not service United Health Care clients and have sent me packing unless I want to pay out of pocket. The real problem is systemic and has to with the lock that drug companies and their many subsidiaries have on the consumer. I want to choose my own drug provider and I want mail order because it is more convenient for us rural folk. Further proof of the lock drug companies on the hapless consumer through congress is the policy or law or whatever that prevents medicare from negotiating the price for drugs. My mantra is "What the heck is going on here?"

Original review: July 12, 2016

We have Cobra as part of a severance package that is administered by United Healthcare. Although they have collected three full months of premiums they have repeatedly refused to cover prescriptions. Although we have paid each premium before the due dates required they have cited that they need to wait seven days after the premium was submitted. We might understand that for the first premium, not after more than two months of UHC receiving full payments on time. Our Cobra is set to expire on 7-31-16, and we are setting up our own coverage for after that time. We are sure that once that date arrives there is no hope of obtaining the coverage from them that they have owed us since 5-1-16. You can't talk to anyone in authority, it's always the same run around, or you are put on hold and no one returns to your call.

If this is their intentional handling of insured people and they are consistently avoiding providing the coverage that people have paid for, shouldn't something be done to make them provide the coverage that they have collected premiums for? Shouldn't the insurance carriers using them as the administrator of their plans be accountable for UHC's lack of performance? How many people are out there who have had our same experience?

Original review: July 11, 2016

I have had UnitedHealth through the Marketplace. I receive a $5 discount, yes five dollars. I pay $998 per month for me and my kids. I was pregnant and delivered my son on March 4, 2016. I called the Marketplace to let them know I would be having my baby on March 3rd, but the delivery didn't happen until March 4th. After delivering my son and bringing him to doctor appointments, in MAY 2016 my doctor's office said the insurance is not covering him. I have been back and forth with United and the Marketplace, both companies said they would resolve the issue. Not only did they not resolve the issue but I am getting billed over $40,000 from the hospital plus the doctors' offices.

I have postpartum depression. I am afraid to even go to the doctor because the insurance company is NOT covering my bills. I cried, yes cried while I was on the phone with the Marketplace. The last time while I was speaking with a supervisor, and he advised me to apply for Medicaid, which I did, and now the insurance company is asking for refunds from all doctors and hospitals since February.

Every time I call the insurance company, they promise to fix it and say they "understand" and they will "resolve" the issues. I am at my wit's end. Who can afford to pay $1000 per month for health insurance that is not even covering their bills, and get billed over $40,000.00 in medical bills on top of it. I have never been so disappointed in my life. I should be focused on getting help for my postpartum, and focusing on my new baby, not FIGHTING with an insurance company that only cares about screwing over their customers.

Original review: July 9, 2016

This so called customer service number given out, is a joke. I have not gotten one straight answer since I began coverage in May of this year. IN fact, they told me I was not covered for a service, when I absolutely was. I have called to get information only to be played with. They don't even seem capable to understand a simple question but throw out another phone number.

When I called, that number, it was a same person, I talked with, who asked if the member service explained my benefits. They had not done so she did and wasn't even affiliated with UHC. I went to a seminar and brought up the fact they the toll free number told me I wasn't covered when I was. The response. "We are a new outfit, trying to get the kinks out and are trying to hire the right people." What a horrible mistake this was, changing to United Health. The reason, was my low income, and the come on was that there would be no deductible. Do not use this company. You will spend futile hours trying to get plain and simple answers.

Original review: July 9, 2016

This to warn anyone, with that is a diabetic or dementia, this is not the health care provider. I did the mistake of changing my father's health care provider to UnitedHealthcare AARP. Biggest mistake ever! I have never had to pay so much out of pocket for Emergency and Instacare and omgosh even his prescription copay was higher. That not even the worst part if you're a diabetic and ever need insulin 3x a day they will not pay and has closed all contracts with any home health care that offers it. I was told by their social worker that anyone that needs insulin 3x daily needs to be in a skilled nursing home. Wait that's not the scary part for me. OK they have a so called company Opium goes out to do visits on their patients and how they are doing right...that's a joke.

They called me saying I could consider putting my dad on hospice. I'm telling them something is not right with my father, his behavior and was not normal. To me there was a big change from a month ago. My father was walking without a walker before he was put in physical therapy after a hospital stay and now they weren't allowing him to walk or go to the bathroom not even assist him. I even told them he seems out of it but they didn't care. I had to discharge him, take him to the emergency. That's how I found out he was being sedated. He had to stay in the hospital for a week after his discharge. He also got a bedsores and their so called case managers didn't see that either. They didn't care about my concerns. Their reason for them checking on their members to see what they can do to save them money. Like put him in a nursing home cheaper for them and they still get their monthly payment.

Ever since I have had them as a provider I have had so many problems. My father has dementia but is still a very strong man that's why things didn't add up to me. I have now moved my father to a new facility for physical therapy after his bad experience. Now UnitedHealthcare is telling me they're not going to pay for anymore of his physical therapy after his copay of $5900.00 out of pocket. Because now he can get 100% on the 15th of this month. Ever since I have changed my father to this health insurance I've been fight to keep him out of a skilled nursing home. (I'm starting to think they are somehow playing a part in all these facilities to try to make him a 2 person asst.) A skilled nursing home does nothing more than an asst living. I don't care what they say. I've seen it too many times caring for my father and I go 2 to 3x a day to check on him at different times that's how I started to see how horrible most skilled nursing homes are.

And yes I have got lots of medical opinions. He is fine for asst living but now with all the moves he will be need a memory care. Asst Living home with all the changes they did affect my father. And just so you know i have found out it's better to just stay with original Medicare. Every health provider accepts it. Only thing a HMO does is offer eye, dental and hearing. Call and check for yourself. And so you know as well United pays ARRP to use their logo. ARRP has nothing to do with UnitedHealth Care. Hope this information is helpful. And it very important for someone to have power of attorney because if not you're at risk of losing your rights in an event that you're not able to make decisions for yourself. That has saved me and my father. Hope this information was helpful.

Original review: June 30, 2016

If I could give United Healthcare a 0 I would. I have had them through my employer for a year. For the entire year they keep denying claims saying I have other insurance, which I DO NOT! I spend hours and hours on phone and am told it's taken care of. I have undergone an "investigation" only to report the same, I only have UHC! They pay my claims and a month later take money from Dr. Therefore, I have numerous calls each week from Dr.'s, hospitals, etc. I have names/dates etc. and NOBODY cares to properly rectify. The "call center" is a JOKE. They play games with customers' time when you ask for a manager/supervisor.

Original review: June 29, 2016

UHC has to be the biggest liars and treacherous company. They've been sued in NY state through illegal repricing of claims thru Optum, and now the head of Optum is the head of CMS. We're in the mud now. Nothing is ever covered, claims are mysteriously stuck in limbo even if they've been submitted electronically. They own many other little insurance companies like Golden Rule and they all have huge deductibles and they turf everything to the patients' deductible so they just sit back and collect your premium payment and pay out $0 for medical services. Gee why didn't we think of that -- oh I forgot -- Obamacare -- we're all stupid and the nanny state knows better. Shame on this country for believing lies.

Original review: June 28, 2016

I contacted United Health because I did not receive my ID cards in the mail. It took almost 3 months to receive the cards, after multiple requests via email, phone and through my employer. I was refused certain medical services because of this. They claimed my out of pocket was twice what it actually is, requiring me to "chase" them to read my contract! They invented a "cap" (limited specialist visits) on certain services, claiming I need a doctor's letter to "extend" this "cap" that does not exist in my contract.

They are impossible to deal with, and after speaking with several reps, I was getting a different reason each time. I have wasted so much time with back and forth with them. When a patient needs help, the last thing they need is extra stress with their insurance - that is why we pay a monthly fee! They make it very difficult for their members, and I am considering changing providers, even though this is a group plan offered by my employer.

Original review: June 28, 2016

I had surgery in Dec 2015. I had two procedures inpatient at a hospital. I received a bill from my doctor's office and paid it in full. I then received another statement in April for another procedure. Seems my doctor's office only billed the minor procedure on the first claim, and then billed the major procedure at a later date. Granted, my provider messed up, however, UHC should have reprocessed both procedures and applied a multiple procedure adjustment of 50% on the lesser procedure. I am a certified coder and medical biller, so I know how this works.

When I called the first time, a rep reviewed my claims and agreed with me that UHC should have recalculated my charges and modified the payment on the lesser charge. The UHC rep sent the claim for review, and I now have a letter stating that they processed the claim correctly the first time. When I called yesterday and talked to a rep, I told her that I would like to escalate this claim to a higher level of review because whoever reviewed it the first time, apparently does not understand multiple procedure discount. I was told that there was no one else that I could speak with and that all she could do was send it back to the same people in the same department to review. I asked for names, credentials and the name of the "review" department, but she would not give me any information.

I called again today to ask another question about a different claim that had two procedures on it. This time I spoke to "John" and asked him to give me line item details on each procedure. This man outright lied to me and said that he can only tell me how much was billed and how much UHC paid. I already have that information on my EOB. I wanted to know if they discounted the 2nd procedure at 50% and this John person just kept lying and telling me that he was a claims adjuster and that the claim was processed correctly. I told him that I actually agreed with him on the 2nd claim, and that I just wanted to verify that the discount was applied correctly. He repeatedly refused to answer my question.

I again asked for names, credentials, and department name of the "reviewers" and he would not tell me anything. We have UHC through my husband's employer and we will be reevaluating our health insurance election when open enrollment comes up. I have reported this situation to my husband's employer. I will stay on this situation until it is resolved, even if it involves the Insurance Commissioner in my state.

Original review: June 26, 2016

I am a primary care MD, who unfortunately has United/Oxford. As an MD I hated it, because they would make you get authorization for everything, even already cheap medications. It was cheaper to buy the $3 of medications out of my pocket than to spend an hour trying to get it authorized only to have it denied. As a subscriber, (am forced to have it via employer) it is the same thing. I have a 5000 deductible, but they are denying claim after claim, 1x they said requested more information - I never received a request. Another time, they said I submitted it too late, at 3 months, despite the fact that had not received from my doctor until 6 weeks after. If you can AETNA, CIGNA, BCBS are definitely better!!

Original review: June 23, 2016

United Health Care is one of the most unprofessional insurance providers I have had to work with thus far! The customer services representatives lack empathy and sympathy skills! It feels as if you're talking to a careless robot each time you call. Hold times are ridiculous on top of horrible billing and astronomical fees, copayments, and deductibles! My advice to anyone with UHC Insurance is RUN!!! I have had them for six months and I will be terminating my services at the end of the month. I would much rather deal with penalties of not having insurance and paying full price for health care than to continue to pay expensive monthly premiums and even more expensive bills after a visit with my primary physician! What a joke!

Original review: June 20, 2016

Every time I need any help at all, United has failed me. It is going to take someone dying and I think they're trying to kill me. I just got out of the hospital, had back surgery, need home health care. Told them weeks ahead of time I needed someone to change bandages, and three months ago I needed shower chair because I can't walk, I got nothing. I fell in shower before operation and now I am home and can't take care of myself at all. It is very important not to get infection in my spine. I live alone in the county, no one near me to help.

All you get with United Health Care is the same failed policy over and over again. They will not fix it and refuse to fix it. Someone will die if they don't, but they just don't care. The hospital can't get anything done. My doctor can't get anything done, and I can't get anything done, even their own representative can't get anything done. It's a failed policy made to fail, has failed, will fail. I have told all in charge all the way to the top but they just don't care. Need to change name to United Don't Care.

Original review: June 15, 2016

I agree United is very expensive. I have only had them in 2015 and 2016. Premiums increased in 2016 and benefits went down. But, for anyone who does not know, they're canceling individual plans for 2017. I live in Virginia and thought it might just be this state but talked to a rep from the AVMA (I am a veterinarian) who told me they are canceling individual plans everywhere next year. I asked what will United be doing next year? He said they will be only providing plans through Medicare if I understood him right. The rep sounded very cynical about the insurance business in general - his opinion was that United was taking the money and running, now off to bilk the government through Medicare. He said at least I get to keep my plan through 2016.

Humana is dropping individual plans too but told their customers they are stopping immediately and their customers have to scramble for plans now. As for me, I will have to wait until open enrollment begins November 1st. Even if I don't enroll in an ACA plan, apparently I can't even shop for any plan at all for next year until then. It makes me wonder how the Humana people are getting plans for this year! It sound like options for people seeking individual plans have limited options. BTW, I am not sure what the future is for people who get UnitedHealthcare through employer's group plan…

Original review: June 14, 2016

An office visit for a brand new specialist was denied and I simply called to find out why. The correspondence sent stated that the "denial reason" is that "new patient qualifications were not met." It sounds like the three (3) key components were: Comprehensive HX, Comprehensive Exam and Med Decision High Complex. So, I called United Health Care on 14 June 2016 (1-800-493-4647). I was switched from Claims to Member Services where I told the representative that all I needed to know what "exactly" the three (3) key components meant. He simply started reading the correspondence to me. (I am not mentally deficient, I can read, write and comprehend perfectly well.)

At that point I told him I understood that I am not responsible for the cost of the office visit and repeated for the third time that I wanted to know what "comprehensive hx," "comprehensive exam," and "Med Decision High Complex" meant. He told me he did not know and no one at United Health Care would know! So he could not switch me to a manager or another department since no one working at United Health Care knows what language is put in their letters.

No one knows EXACTLY why a claim was denied. No one knows why or why not an insurance company should pay a doctor's office - especially when the doctor is treating a chronically ill person since childhood. When I told him (Jan-juy) that I was not satisfied with the call because my question(s) were not answered, he asked if I wanted to file a complaint and I told him I was supposed to fill out a survey, which would be the same thing. He then put me hold instead of switching me over to the phone survey.

P.S. I wanted to know their terminology for the denial because I wanted to file an appeal with them. How am I supposed to file an appeal without knowing what the criteria for the denial was to begin with? Of course, some may say that is the reason United Health Care will not tell me what the three (3) key components actually mean.

Original review: June 13, 2016

Had to call because Customer Care had no idea where to send me. After being switched to 5 other numbers, I finally called this one which was given to me. Thought I was speaking to a nurse and it was a very nasty "Health" Care Associate. Extremely rude and stated he could not help me. When I vented about my experience, he stated, "Are you going to continue to insult me, or do you want me to transfer you to the appropriate division." I explained the division he was switching me to was the one who gave me the number I just called. I asked him if he owned the company since he felt I was insulting him personally. He had no response other than, "Do you want to be transferred". Would not answer any of my questions, would not give me his name, was not helpful at all. Sounded like he "Hated" his job when he answered the phone. No pleasantness about him and ruder as the conversation went on. More like a "smug" attitude.

This is not the kind of experience you like when you need assistance with your healthcare. What if someone was just inquiring about your company and did not have insurance with you. Does that mean they cannot get any answers. I had to give my entire history before they would even speak to me. Shame on you United Healthcare for hiring individuals such as this. Glad you will be leaving Florida in December. If only the President could hear our complaints and how you treat us. Read on United. Too many of us are unhappy. Perhaps that is why you are leaving the state! Enough said!

Original review: June 11, 2016

United Healthcare Oxford mailed me a letter telling me I had to move my prescription to mail order or it would no longer be covered. I have no problem with using their mail order service. But when I went to their website and tried to follow their instructions to enroll their website does not match their instructions. How hard is this to write instructions that match the menu items on their website? When I called them the pleasant man who answered had no idea about the web problem or how I could do this online. Instead he explained how I could have my doctor fax them a prescription. Seriously not professional. When I asked for a supervisor they put me on hold for 30 minutes. Then ask for my name again. Then suggest they can opt me out of this service. I have asked for a supervisor again. I cannot believe they are still in business.

Original review: June 10, 2016

I have used many insurance companies and have worked for several heath insurances companies, and can honestly say that UHC is the worst. There were problems with computer glitches that caused payments not to post and that caused a double payment to be withdrawn from my bank account. It was difficult to keep track of how much of a credit I had but thought it would balance out when I did my taxes because it was a Marketplace plan.

The first time, I had made a 2nd payment to my account before going to the pharmacy when I realized my first payment didn't post, but I ended up paying full cost. I was later reimbursed by the pharmacy. In December, I realized I had a partial payment due when I received an invoice from UHC in the mail. Immediately, I paid it online. But I had filled some prescriptions for my prescriptions which had $5 and $10 copays and later realized the full cost (approx. $170) was debited from my bank account (I had my bank card on file with the pharmacy -- not a good idea, I learned the hard way).

After seeing my bank statement in January and finally tracing the mystery charge to the pharmacy, I tried to get reimbursement but the pharmacy said it was too late and I needed to get reimbursed by the insurance company. I have filed claims reimbursement forms with Optum 3 times, explaining that I paid full price for covered drugs. Each time, I receive a letter denying my request for reimbursement. So, I keep calling United Health Care. Usually, a representative with UHC speaks with someone from Optum (once, I spoke to someone who identified herself as an Optum employee) and then am assured a check for the full amount is being sent out the following week or that it is being processed. So far, I have been reimbursed $1.64.

Although all of the representatives I've spoken with at UHC and Optum have been pleasant, all have foreign accents. The last person was hesitant to address my issue and then was in a hurry to get off the phone. Apparently, "Customer Service" for UHC and Optum has been outsourced to a foreign country and the representatives are woefully undertrained. They are simply told to lie to customers and put them off indefinitely. I have been going through this process for 5 months.

Original review: June 10, 2016

I had a PPO United dental insurance. Most of the in-network dentists have worst reviews, and many of them are non-existent in the list. The dentist I visited did not honor the price chart given by the insurance company, they want to charge me more than promised in the insurance charge list. This is my first and last deal with United Health Care. I wish I had seen those reviews before.

Original review: June 10, 2016

I work for a healthcare billing company and try to help our patients get their claims paid. Whenever I have a question, I will call their insurance regarding unpaid claims. I have NOT been able to reach the right claims department on the first try - they ALWAYS transfer my call. I have been transferred and then hung up on repeatedly. I have asked to speak with a claim representative within the USA when I have had trouble understanding the rep. and they have ALWAYS refused! There seems to be basically one phone number on every patient's ID card and yet whenever I call that number, it is NEVER the correct number! I am convinced that UHC trains their employees to very nicely transfer calls or hang up on customers, SO they do NOT have to answer questions about WHY THEY DO NOT PAY CLAIMS!!!

I would have complained to UHC, however THERE IS NO ONE WHO WILL SPEAK WITH ME!!! I just get transferred and then disconnected!!! The ONLY way I have been able to speak with someone about my complaint has been to call the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services - Medicare Advantage complaint department. That took 5 days but someone finally called me back. If you are having this same trouble, call Medicare and complain! Because no one at United Healthcare will answer the phone.

Original review: June 9, 2016

Customer service is horrid. The call goes to the Philippines and then they tell you that they have a bad connection and need to call you back, I think that is because it disconnects you from the customer service survey process. I was with BCBS for a number of years and was prescribed a particular medication. I recently changed jobs, and the new health care company is UHC. The plan is allegedly a good plan but the service is horrendous. They are denying everything. The doctor completed the preauthorization form and sent it back. Denied.

They wanted me to take a cheaper alternative that I failed on 2 years ago. The doctor filed the appeal and included the information that I already failed on that medication. Denied. The doctor got a message back that I, the patient, don't exist in their system. When I call to figure out where UHC fell down, I keep getting the runaround. All the while, I am without a medication that has serious withdrawal ramifications. Suddenly, some dingbats in an office are now doctors and decide what my medical treatment will be. I will fight UHC all the way, and I am looking for a lawyer as I write this. UHC is the WORST healthcare provider out there.

Original review: June 8, 2016

Absolute worst terrible insurance. Let me just begin saying this insurance is complete BS. My father has been dealing with sleep apnea for the longest time and it keeps getting worse. He has been to 2 different doctors who have sent referral to this crap insurance stating that he NEEDS a sleep study done. Each time they deny my father. Why? Because according to them my father doesn't meet their criteria. So are you saying a patient has to be in ill critical condition to get diagnosed? A patient isn't going to lie about not being able to sleep, breath, performance daily properly! If anyone is reading this and you have been denied and your father, mother, whoever gets hurt or dies after being denied you have the right to sue.

United Health Care Company Information