2. Moving
  3. Renters Insurance

3.7/5 (15 ratings)

About State Farm Renters Insurance

With comprehensive coverage and local agents all over the nation, State Farm renters insurance offers customizable plans for renters at a competitive price. Find out if State Farm’s renters insurance plans are right for you by visiting their website today!

Pros

• Save by bundling your coverage
  • Instant online quotes
  • Competitive pricing

Cons

• Doesn’t cover every disaster

Bottom Line

State Farm renters insurance provides coverage for your physical belongings. With the company’s comprehensive policies, you can get personalized renters insurance that fits your needs.

State Farm renters insurance coverage

While your landlord is responsible for insuring your physical apartment, they aren’t liable for any damage to your personal belongings. It's crucial to make sure you're covered by a good renters insurance policy to ensure you have security in the event of a disaster. State Farm's renters insurance offers financial protection by providing comprehensive coverage for your personal belongings.

Most of State Farm’s renters insurance policies cover:

• Fire or smoke damage to your personal belongings
  • Damage or loss caused by people from theft, burglary, vandalism or vehicle accidents

State Farm's renters insurance policies might not cover:

• Damage caused by natural flooding or surface water
  • Business or professional services provided from home
  • Motor vehicles, including boats, aircraft or cars

To find out what renters insurance policy is right for you, start by approximating the value of your belongings. You can work with your local State Farm agent to decide on the coverage you need based on your personal assets.

State Farm renters insurance quotes

You can get a renters insurance quote by visiting State Farm’s website and filling out the “Get a Renter’s Quote” form. State Farm has a list of information you need to apply for a renters insurance policy on its website, which includes:

• Coverage start date
  • Total value of personal property to be insured
  • Any business that’s conducted on the premises
  • Safety features, like locks and alarms, in your home
  • Your insurance history within the past five years

How much does State Farm renters insurance cost?

The price of your State Farm renters insurance policy depends on the information you provide when getting a quote, but a policy with $30,000 in personal property coverage costs about $12 a month. You also have the option to add on or adjust your plan by adding different types of coverage to your policy, including:

• Personal liability coverage
  • Loss of use coverage
  • Inflation coverage
  • Medical payments to others coverage
  • Losses not insured coverage
  • Personal property coverage

State Farm’s renters insurance policies offer a standard $100,000 in liability coverage. Some landlords require tenants to have a specific minimum for liability coverage, so read your rental agreement or talk to your landlord before choosing a plan.

If you already have another policy with State Farm, ask your agent about discounts for bundling policies.

Is State Farm renters insurance worth it?

State Farm offers customizable policies and discounts for renters. With agents all over the nation, State Farm gives you easy access to local insurance at an affordable price. If you’re searching for renters insurance to cover your personal belongings, State Farm’s renters insurance could be a great option.

State Farm Renters Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Renters Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Renters Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

Been a State Farm policy holder for over 20 years. Whether Car insurance, Home Insurance, or as the case is now Renters Insurance, I have always felt confident have State Farm by my side. Though I’ve never had to put in a claim on my renters insurance as of yet. I feel confident in the pricing I pay and that State Farm would be there in my time of need.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

State Farm has always been great to work with. They seamlessly transferred my policy from one state to another, finding me a local agent to work with to make the process easy for me. Their rates are very affordable and offer excellent coverage. State Farm has my business for years to come.

Get buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

This insurance is provides peace of mind for anyone renting that is concerned about loss to their property in the apartment. It is not expense with an annual policy for a whole year less than $200.00. You can bundle it with auto and it will reduce the premium. I have a local agent that is very helpful and the staff is always great. I feel they provided the insurance that I need for the apartment.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

When presented with the idea of renters insurance, I didn't think much about it. When the agent contacted me and set up and appointment for my annual insurance review, I didn't expect to be given so much information. They bundled my existing car insurance with my renters insurance and I saved so much money!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

Had pipes burst in apt. Called SF and they put me and cat in very very nice hotel with kitchen for over a month while apt was being renovated. Also SF paid for damaged items to be fixed or repurchased and bags of clothing to be cleaned. SF came through for me with no problems.. Don't know what I would have done without their care and help. So thankful I had the insurance. Would definitely recommend!!!

Original review: May 16, 2021

Mother passed away August 2020, on 9/2/20 I called Dane **'s office to inform him. Spoke with someone named Jeff, he said he will cancel policy and send a check for $95.80 in her name. I recently received a renewal bill for her renters ins., called and spoke with Dane. His response was "her policy is still in effect, I can only go back 30 days for a refund, and I don't know who Jeff is". He finally agreed if I provide him with a Death Certificate and Lease Termination he'll look further into it. Worst customer service and less empathy. I haven't heard that State Farm has to file bankruptcy..

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I had Erie Insurance first and State Farm gave me a much better policy, covered more, and it was at a better premium price, can't get any better than that. Full replacement value. I have my own business so I needed my equipment covered, computer too.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

Very easy process. We added onto auto insurance that we already had. Inexpensive but received all the coverage that we needed. Thank goodness we have not had to use it but it is so nice to know that it is there should we need it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

State Farm on route 18 north is the best at helping w/ renters insurance and that is why I have it for my children too. They are the best at making sure everyone has the complete coverage. As always I recommend this renter insurance.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Great company. State Farm always gives the right answer. I am happy to report that I got the Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes special rate on both the auto and renters insurance! Have referred numerous friends and clients to the company.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

Just want to be treated fairly, I think I should not have to pay as much for car insurance doubled with renters insurance and pay almost as much as another car payment. I realize accidents cause payments to increase but how for how long?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

State Farm is not a good company, apart they are too expensive, they are not transparent with their prices. The agent is not to the stander when you have a problem, they never reply to your questions or find a solution. All they care about is their money. I will not recommend this company to anyone. I have been with them for 6 months, pay my bill down payment for 6 months where my insurance was 1000. Now my insurance is 948 they are charging 200 am a month, which is not making any sense at all. The worst company ever. Can someone recommend me to a better company, please? I live in Minnesota. I change my first agent because he was so rude and arrangement and now the new agent never answer emails or phone calls.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Have renters ins. Had ceiling pipe break in apt. Water everywhere. SF put me and cat into very nice hotel for over a month while apt was renovated. Paid for replacement of items destroyed by water damage. Hats off to State Farm!!!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I have had renters, auto and supplemental health coverage with State Farm for almost 20 years. In 2015 I made a claim due to water damage in my apartment that State Farm paid out $2169.93. I had fire in the same apartment in August 2018 that State Farm paid out $0. I moved from that apartment into a house and received notice from State Farm that they would not be issuing the new policy due to those 2 claims. Again one of the claims State Farm paid out NOTHING!!! Now State Farm has had my payment on time every month for almost 20 years and this is all the it takes to consider me unworthy of their services. Don't bother with State Farm Renters insurance or any other services. I will be taking all my business elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I have been a State Farm customer for over 10 years. The end of February my home was burglarized. I put in a claim through my renters insurance for items that were stolen from me. State farm has been a nightmare since. They sent an adjuster to my home who took pictures of my belongings. He interrogated me at my own dining room table with a tape recorder. Will ask you about your income, how much rent you pay, do you receive any assistance, do I work, basically telling me that since I'm black that I shouldn't be able to afford to have these items. But never asked me how I could afford to pay this high state farm bill every month!! I sent state farm many receipts of my items.

After the interrogation was over. He proceeded to take more pictures of my place but never took any pictures of where I said the entry was made to break in. I waited and waited for a phone call. Never heard anything so I called the adjuster back who told me they dont believe my story and they are scheduling an EUO. Examination under oath. Okay fine I go to euo that was about 45 mins from where I lived. WOW statefarm will take y from u through hell and back. He did the same thing as the adjuster in my home. I sat through a 5 hour interrogation with a lawyer hired by statefarm who told me flat out, "Why do you need so many clothes for what purpose? You dont go anywhere." Never asked me to bring proof of my income to the euo. Or the 2 times my lawyer sued state farm and got settlements for me. Or any tax refund information that I brought and had to explain that's how I could afford it.

Their euo lawyer will call you after the interview and try to get you to drop your claim. He asked me was I still going to pursue. I said yes. After I fully cooperated it took months for them to deny my claim claiming fraud and misrepresentation. Doesn't matter how long you have been a loyal customer to state farm if they feel you cant afford certain items or you shouldn't have certain things and you dont fit the profile. Your claim will be denied. After I received a denial through via email I immediately called the claim team manager and asked my was my claim denied. He told me for fraud so I said, "Can you be more specific than that," and I got a "Read your policy" response. I then said, "So I dont have a policy with statefarm anymore?" He said, "No your policy is still active"....WHAT! If state farm is accusing me of fraud why do I still have an active policy. They have acted in bad faith with trying to settle with me. And I will get my story out there to whoever will listen.

State Farm Renters Insurance Company Information