Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

State Farm Renters Insurance

With comprehensive coverage and local agents all over the nation, State Farm renters insurance offers customizable plans for renters at a competitive price. Find out if State Farm’s renters insurance plans are right for you by visiting their website today!

BOTTOM LINE

State Farm renters insurance provides coverage for your physical belongings. With the company’s comprehensive policies, you can get personalized renters insurance that fits your needs.

PROS

• Save by bundling your coverage
  • Instant online quotes
  • Competitive pricing

CONS

• Doesn’t cover every disaster

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

State Farm renters insurance coverage

While your landlord is responsible for insuring your physical apartment, they aren’t liable for any damage to your personal belongings. It's crucial to make sure you're covered by a good renters insurance policy to ensure you have security in the event of a disaster. State Farm's renters insurance offers financial protection by providing comprehensive coverage for your personal belongings.

Most of State Farm’s renters insurance policies cover:

• Fire or smoke damage to your personal belongings
  • Damage or loss caused by people from theft, burglary, vandalism or vehicle accidents

State Farm's renters insurance policies might not cover:

• Damage caused by natural flooding or surface water
  • Business or professional services provided from home
  • Motor vehicles, including boats, aircraft or cars

To find out what renters insurance policy is right for you, start by approximating the value of your belongings. You can work with your local State Farm agent to decide on the coverage you need based on your personal assets.

State Farm renters insurance quotes

You can get a renters insurance quote by visiting State Farm’s website and filling out the “Get a Renter’s Quote” form. State Farm has a list of information you need to apply for a renters insurance policy on its website, which includes:

• Coverage start date
  • Total value of personal property to be insured
  • Any business that’s conducted on the premises
  • Safety features, like locks and alarms, in your home
  • Your insurance history within the past five years

How much does State Farm renters insurance cost?

The price of your State Farm renters insurance policy depends on the information you provide when getting a quote, but a policy with $30,000 in personal property coverage costs about $12 a month. You also have the option to add on or adjust your plan by adding different types of coverage to your policy, including:

• Personal liability coverage
  • Loss of use coverage
  • Inflation coverage
  • Medical payments to others coverage
  • Losses not insured coverage
  • Personal property coverage

State Farm’s renters insurance policies offer a standard $100,000 in liability coverage. Some landlords require tenants to have a specific minimum for liability coverage, so read your rental agreement or talk to your landlord before choosing a plan.

If you already have another policy with State Farm, ask your agent about discounts for bundling policies.

Is State Farm renters insurance worth it?

State Farm offers customizable policies and discounts for renters. With agents all over the nation, State Farm gives you easy access to local insurance at an affordable price. If you’re searching for renters insurance to cover your personal belongings, State Farm’s renters insurance could be a great option.

State Farm Renters Insurance Reviews

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I have had renters, auto and supplemental health coverage with State Farm for almost 20 years. In 2015 I made a claim due to water damage in my apartment that State Farm paid out $2169.93. I had fire in the same apartment in August 2018 that State Farm paid out $0. I moved from that apartment into a house and received notice from State Farm that they would not be issuing the new policy due to those 2 claims. Again one of the claims State Farm paid out NOTHING!!!

Now State Farm has had my payment on time every month for almost 20 years and this is all the it takes to consider me unworthy of their services. Don't bother with State Farm Renters insurance or any other services. I will be taking all my business elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I have been a State Farm customer for over 10 years. The end of February my home was burglarized. I put in a claim through my renters insurance for items that were stolen from me. State farm has been a nightmare since. They sent an adjuster to my home who took pictures of my belongings. He interrogated me at my own dining room table with a tape recorder. Will ask you about your income, how much rent you pay, do you receive any assistance, do I work, basically telling me that since I'm black that I shouldn't be able to afford to have these items. But never asked me how I could afford to pay this high state farm bill every month!! I sent state farm many receipts of my items.

After the interrogation was over. He proceeded to take more pictures of my place but never took any pictures of where I said the entry was made to break in. I waited and waited for a phone call. Never heard anything so I called the adjuster back who told me they dont believe my story and they are scheduling an EUO. Examination under oath. Okay fine I go to euo that was about 45 mins from where I lived. WOW statefarm will take y from u through hell and back. He did the same thing as the adjuster in my home. I sat through a 5 hour interrogation with a lawyer hired by statefarm who told me flat out, "Why do you need so many clothes for what purpose? You dont go anywhere." Never asked me to bring proof of my income to the euo. Or the 2 times my lawyer sued state farm and got settlements for me. Or any tax refund information that I brought and had to explain that's how I could afford it.

Their euo lawyer will call you after the interview and try to get you to drop your claim. He asked me was I still going to pursue. I said yes. After I fully cooperated it took months for them to deny my claim claiming fraud and misrepresentation. Doesn't matter how long you have been a loyal customer to state farm if they feel you cant afford certain items or you shouldn't have certain things and you dont fit the profile. Your claim will be denied. After I received a denial through via email I immediately called the claim team manager and asked my was my claim denied. He told me for fraud so I said, "Can you be more specific than that," and I got a "Read your policy" response. I then said, "So I dont have a policy with statefarm anymore?" He said, "No your policy is still active"....WHAT! If state farm is accusing me of fraud why do I still have an active policy. They have acted in bad faith with trying to settle with me. And I will get my story out there to whoever will listen.

Get expert buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands