Find a Car Insurance partner

2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

3.7/5 (679 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About SAFECO Auto Insurance

Safeco Insurance is a Liberty Mutual company that offers several different insurance products, including home, life and auto coverage. It has a wide variety of auto insurance policy options and customizable plans to suit your needs.

Pros

• New car replacement
  • Pet coverage
  • Backed by Liberty Mutual

Cons

• Not available nationwide
  • No focus on high-risk drivers

Bottom Line

Safeco is backed by Liberty Mutual. It offers several discounts, coverage options and driver services, including new car replacement and pet insurance. Its auto plans are customizable.

Top SAFECO Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The price is about half of what the other quotes are. Paying for the policy is easy and convenient. They also have an app to view the policy and pay the bill... When we have quest...

Verified

I purchased the policy online and it was an Easy process. I was able to compare rates and coverage on the website. The Price was very good, compared to other insurance companies a...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Safeco auto insurance?

Safeco Insurance offers auto policies for a variety of vehicles. It has customizable coverage plans and a wide array of services, and all its policies cover up to $10,000 in reimbursement for others’ first aid following an accident. After a number of years of accident-free driving, your policy will qualify for accident forgiveness.

Safeco provides comprehensive, collision and roadside assistance coverage, as well as rental car reimbursement, which grants access to its claims valet service. It also offers Personal Injury Protection (PIP), medical payments (Med Pay), bodily injury liability, property damage liability and uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance options.

Additional coverage options include emergency assistance, which provides roadside assistance, coverage up to $100 for expenses and up to $500 for meals, lodging and transportation if you’re in an accident more than 25 miles from home. It also covers personal belongings damaged by an accident or taken in a stolen vehicle. Its other add-on options include:

• Loan and lease coverage
  • Electronic key and lock replacement
  • CD and DVD replacement
  • Pet coverage
  • New car replacement
  • Personal property coverage
  • Audiovisual and custom equipment coverage

How does Safeco auto insurance work?

Safeco is backed by Liberty Mutual, the third largest property and casualty insurer in the U.S. It partners with local independent agents to help with policies and claims. You can customize your policy based on your auto needs, but Safeco’s standard car insurance policy provides essential liability protection and other coverages required by law, as well as coverage in the event of an accident while someone else is driving.

Safeco also has add-on coverage options with extra protection for damages, emergencies, repairs and personal property. You can manage your policy online and report and track a claim 24/7.

Safeco auto insurance quotes and costs

Safeco doesn’t disclose its car insurance costs online, but you can apply for a quote on its website. The company offers a variety of discounts; for drivers who’ve never made a claim, Safeco reduces the collision deductible by $100 with each annual policy renewal, up to $500 or five years. It also provides discounts for completing a driving course, multicar policies and more.

Safeco auto insurance FAQ

Does Safeco auto insurance have a low mileage discount?
Safeco offers a discount of up to 20% for vehicles with low annual mileage.
Where is Safeco auto insurance available?
Safeco is in several states, but it’s not available nationwide. In order to check availability, contact a local agent.
Who owns Safeco?
Hawthorne K. Dent is the founder and executive of Safeco Insurance.
Is Safeco a part of Liberty Mutual?
Yes. In September 2008, Safeco became part of Liberty Mutual, the third largest property and casualty insurer in the United States.

Is Safeco a good car insurance company?

Safeco is a solid car insurance provider. Backed by Liberty Mutual, it offers a comprehensive range of services. Its plans are customizable, and it has several discount options. It provides PIP and Med Pay, as well as comprehensive and collision coverage. Its add-ons include paid travel expenses, electronic key and lock replacement, new car replacement, personal property coverage, audiovisual and custom equipment coverage and pet coverage.

SAFECO Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SAFECO Auto Insurance?

Original review: July 22, 2021

I got a new car insurance policy because Safeco is way too expensive. In fact the company I went to is affiliated with Safeco (Liberty Mutual). My Safeco policy was paid in full and due to expire at midnight on the expiration date. I got a new policy that picked up at 12:01 am the day after expiration. Safeco claims they had to have a policy in place because I did not notify them. My notification was my non payment; something I have done in the past. They billed me for their extra day coverage. They claim I needed to come to their office and sign a form that says I wanted to stop coverage. They went all they way to a collection agency for payment. I have since paid them because talking to them was non-productive. I believe that all insurance is a scam and this just re-enforces my view.

Original review: March 14, 2021

Why Safeco is a horrible company will be clear in a moment. Communication is key in any business to maintain a good relationship. For the past 2+ years I’ve been a Safeco customer because of 3 factors when I moved to Arizona:

1) Fair rates based on the higher insurance I wanted to carry
2) Backed by Liberty Mutual as a parent company

3) Was told they are really good communication & customer service

Last November, 2020, I had my bank card ID compromised, so reach out to Safeco and updated my new account number and get the card back on auto-pay like it was. They took care of that and confirmed all information for me. I looked at the bank statement and the Safeco website to confirm this information was updated and the payment was pulled. It was.

At the beginning of March 2021, I received a collections company notice that I owed a balance for December 2020 for Safeco and needed to pay. I looked at the Safeco website and found that my account was charged for November and not for December+, and my policy was cancelled in Dec. When I called my broker he looked into it and found that they sent out 3 letters over 3 weeks, that I never saw, stating there was an issue with payment. They Never called me or emailed me, not even once. They Never contact the broker, which they are supposed to do, so they could address it before cancellation. (So he was really upset as well). I was under the impression I, my wife and Son driving were covered, and found we had been without insurance for 3 months. That was the scariest part!!!

Granted, I should have checked my statements to make sure this was still coming out, Totally my bad. However, since I was on auto pay for 2 years without an issue, and called to change to the correct information, they confirmed payment, I did not worry. When I explained to the Safeco agent what happened, they offered me new rates that were $150 more per month than I was paying with them due to the Lapse. I asked them to look at my payment history who confirmed, I was consistent, wasn’t late, and always communicated with I had a change in payment type.

They didn’t care and were not willing or able to help. Because of this lapse in insurance my costs went up with other companies as a result. I will NEVER do business again with them or Liberty Mutual because of the lack of trust and communication from Safeco. I hope you don’t go with Safeco or stay with them if you are. Please find another company that will actually help protect you.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I had my homeowner's insurance thru Safeco/Liberty Mutual for 3 years, I never made a claim, paid my bill like clockwork. Sold my home on October 14, 2016, cancelled insurance because of selling home, provided a new address for refund of escrow. They have not released my escrow as of 2020. Roughly $1200.00. I've spent numerous hours on the phone with safeco directly. They admit on tape they owe me the money, but unfortunately no check arrives. I've been lied to directly from 2 separate customer service reps, which I do have on tape.

The first lie. Was the Penna Treasury now has my money, so I did legwork and Penna State Treasury does not have my money. Back to safeco. The next customer service person tells me we are going to re-send the refund in form of check. Once again lied too. 5th call to safeco. Next customer service person then tells me that no check has been drafted at current time. This is Dec 1 2020. This company is an absolute disaster and now would never recommend or buy anything off of the company again. This has been a total failure of any good business practice. They now hang up when I call. And only correspond thru email. Do yourself a favor, get quotes elsewhere and stay away from this company. Obviously I have to file a lawsuit to get my reimbursement from this company!!! Stay away!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

In March 2020, I loaned my roommate my vehicle to visit his daughter, who was distressed about the pending divorce of her parents. After visiting with her, he got in an altercation with a person and my truck was stolen. I informed SAFECO of the incident so that they would drop my truck from the insurance policy. They stated that since the truck had been stolen, they could not discontinue coverage on it. At the time, I thought that I only had liability and didn't expect to get anything from them. I just wanted to drop the truck so that I wasn't paying monthly premiums on a vehicle that I no longer had. What I did not know at the time is that my sister had increased my coverage without my knowledge.

They made me send them police reports and all kinds of affidavits and statements - several times over - and then accused me of being involved in a "drug deal gone bad." I do not do illegal drugs and was asleep in my bed when I got a frantic call from my roommate around 2 a.m. However, ever since I informed them of my loss and desire to stop paying premiums, they have treated me like an actual drug addict who was attempting to fraudulently make a claim against them personally. Finding no evidence of my involvement in the loss of my truck after several months, they paid me $2,923, of which they kept a $2000 deductible. They didn't refund the premiums that they forced me to pay from March until November.

They continue to insist that I had something to do with the loss of my truck - even after paying me off with a check for $923, and have now listed me as uninsurable/high-risk and have cancelled my insurance coverage. I am a 100% disabled veteran existing on a small disability stipend. I have been without a vehicle since it was first stolen, as $923 will not replace my truck or, for that matter, provide me enough cash to purchase any other reliable vehicle. I am in limbo and in SAFECO Hell, whom still blames me and is keeping their investigation open until December 30, 2020. These people love taking your premiums, but will fight you tooth and nail not to honor any claims you might have to file. Avoid them and their parent company, Liberty Mutual, like the plague. Yeah. They're that bad.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

They are absolutely a terrible business to deal with. They’re owned by Liberty Mutual so I would avoid them too!! I was rear ended and they wanted to handle my claim for me to “help” instead of me dealing with the at fault driver's insurance. I thought that was nice of them but they’re running a game borderlining a scam! Shorting me $2000 on my total loss To begin with. I’m a manager of a dealership so I provided them with a dozen “comps” (comparisons) and book outs to prove they are off on my value, more than enough proof and they continue to be difficult. I sent them the receipt for my car seat 15 days ago and still no reply back, just avoid them like the plague!! They’re owned by liberty mutual so I would avoid them too!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I spoke with Bethany at Safeco after my accident. She was unsympathetic and came across like I was bothering her. I’ve never been in an accident and didn’t know the process. She was unhelpful in giving me any info or direction. She kept saying there’s nothing she can do because my policy doesn’t cover that. I’ll ask her another question and then she would just keep saying that. She did not even ask if I was ok. That should be the first question a claims support person should ask. Terrible experience and definitely DO NOT recommend this company.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I’ve been a Safeco customer for auto insurance for 1 year through Gabi.Com, upon renewal of my insurance I attempted several times to get ahold of a representative. It took me approximately THREE WHOLE DAYS!!!! TO GET INTO CONTACT WITH SOMEONE FROM GABI INSURANCE. While awaiting I kepted receiving no response. Meanwhile I ended up with a lapse in my insurance for 5 days trying to renew. I did save a Ton of money on my auto insurance, but the customer service is BEYOND TERRIBLE, A REP From GABI Insurance STATED I WOULD HAVE TO CALL SAFECO DIRECTLY BUT WHEN I TRIED THEY KEPTED SENDING ME TO GABI INSURANCE.

I ended up switching my auto insurance to another company which means I ended up paying more while eventually receiving a letter from the DMV STATING MY REGISTRATION IS SUSPENDED FOR FIVE DAYS DUE TO A LAPSE. When I tell you I’ll rather pay more money for insurance than to deal with this company I mean it!!!! I WISH I CAN GIVE - 0 stars. Luckily I wasn’t in an accident or had to file a claim because I would of been doomed trying to reach someone. Terrrrrible. They should be ashamed of themselves!!! I personally took the time out to make an Account to write a negative review!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

NEGATIVE 10 STARS!!! This is the most CROOKED and SCANDALOUS company I have ever had the displeasure of working with. We are actually current customers (until the second I get a new quote from ANY OTHER INSURANCE COMPANY) and were hit by a driver that has this awful insurance. My wife was discriminated against for being a woman and given the run around for 3 months. She did everything they requested and after each follow up was met with disrespect and shallow responses.

They quoted our car's value at 35k pre accident and are suggesting its diminished value is now 31k. After a couple of appraisals, the best offer we got was 20k. After repeatedly asking them who they got a number 11k more than ours was we were told it was their "Best Educated Guess" based on all the experience they have in this industry. They also followed this statement by saying that almost all diminished value situations fall within 1k and 3k???? Do you think you are talking to a complete idiot? I am absolutely furious and will NEVER be a Safeco / Liberty Mutual customer again and will post in every corner of the internet to safe anyone else from this SCAM of a company. My advice is to run away and pray that you never get hit by someone with this ridiculous excuse for an insurance company representing them...You will be sorry and screwed, trust me!

Original review: May 13, 2020

I was hit and the customer has Safeco insurance, They were nice and pleasant but they offered me 2800 for damage. So I took the car to get it estimated from two different body shops, One estimate came in at 4300 the other was almost 4600. Both auto-shops said there will be hidden damage once they get into the repair. The ins adjuster Kandy was untruthful to me in the initial phone call by stating they don't have to pay for diminished value. I knew at that period of time what I was dealing with. So I submitted the estimates from the body shops into the safeco rep, and they came back with 3800. What? 500 under the lowest estimate I got. Plus on the sheet they sent me for the estimate they figuring taxes at 5%. I am sorry but my taxes are 8.3%. Keep in mind this is before a rental car and finding the hidden damage that all vehicle seem to have.

So the way they want it is I pay for someone else to hit my car. No thanks. Stay away from Safeco and Liberty Mutual. They are the same company and they Don't care! I asked for a supervisor to call me back but as of this time no one has called me. I will file through my ins company, and let them go after the party for no payment. But I want to warn everyone that there is a reason why the rating of safeco is so low.

Original review: April 28, 2020

It took Safeco a month to simply accept liability. I was rearended at a dead stop at a stop light. It was very simple. Then they took another 2 weeks to approve an appraisal. I had severe whiplash and splitting headaches. I was treated so horribly by them it created even more stress heart related issues. Then I was charged $500 for the rental I had from soon after the accident until the whole mess was over. I was charged for their insured hitting me at a stop light. They are refusing to reimburse my out of pocket medical expenses too. All my whiplash physical therapy appointments were postponed due to the coronavirus lockdown so they figured they would get away with more because of that. I am now getting a lawyer. I suggest anytime you are dealing with safeco you just start with a lawyer.

SAFECO Auto Insurance Company Information