Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
2.76/5

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Safeco Insurance is a Liberty Mutual company that offers several different insurance products, including home, life and auto insurance. Safeco is a verified InsuraMatch partner. For quotes from Safeco Insurance and others, call InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

SAFECO Auto Insurance Gallery (3)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Safeco insurance is a Liberty Mutual company that offers insurance in a discounted package. Customers are happy with Safeco’s low prices and the ability to pay conveniently online.

PROS

• Connected with Liberty Mutual
  • Low price
  • Insures older cars
  • Offer other types of insurance and bundle discounts
  • Roadside assistance available

CONS

• A few customers noted unexperienced rate increases
  • Some customers experienced long wait times on claim responses

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

147 SAFECO Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have had Safeco Auto and HO6 for about 5 years. I used a broker when purchasing it so I was sure to get what I need. Recently I have had a string of bad luck. In November I had to file a loss assessment on my HO6, January 26 I needed roadside assistance and January 29 I had a one vehicle weather related collision with a guard rail. All three times they went above and beyond duty to make sure everything was taken care of. Yesterday was my accident and the car is already in for repairs and I have a rental. That is how quick they were to get me back to normal. I do expect a significant rate increase, but that will happen anywhere. I couldn't ask for better service. BTW the other half of the household works for Progressive and Safeco is still the better insurance.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Safeco is not an extremely popular company, but it was the one that was recommended by our local agent. They have been easy to work with and the few claims we have had to file have been easy and successful.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Overall I am satisfied with my auto insurance. The coverage is good for the price that we pay. We are offered small discounts yearly for being long time customers and safe drivers. If I need to contact them I always get a response in a timely manner. Billing is also simple and I can see and do everything from claims, payments and contact a representative all on a user friendly website. I would recommend this insurance company to others. Another thing I like about this company is my homeowner's insurance is bundled with the auto insurance so it is all in one easy place.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

It is easy to deal with. I did have one problem but the person at the insurance broker helped with that. I was also given something to track my driving and was given a discount on top of my original savings. I am now paying as much as I was for Liability. I am pleased with my choice.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Safeco should not be allowed to steal as effortlessly as they do. They do not fight for their own customers. They defend the others involved so they can quickly pay the claim and jack up their rates. The cs/adjuster and supervisors just evade answering you for weeks at a time. We finally consulted a prominent and very experienced accident attorney and he said he had never seen a claim settled that 100% did NOT have their own client's best interest in mind and a complaint to the Arizona Insurance board is now being filed. They clearly acted in bad faith. Run as far away as possible from Safeco and please cancel cancel cancel.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SAFECO Auto Insurance?

Original review: May 28, 2019

Purchase classic insurance for my classic trans am from SAFECO. I paid the down payment and paid my monthly bill for three months and then they sent letter stating they can't cover my car under classic insurance but they can cover it under regular insurance and the price will change so I cancel them the same day. And now they put it on my credit report saying I owe them but I don't. This company is a RIP off but will soon end up in a class action lawsuit.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I have read several reviews since my recent experience with Safeco and it appears that there must be a systemic problem. Many of them seem to have had some of the same problems that I have experienced although they occurred in different parts of the country. On Feb. 20 my son was involved in an at fault accident. My car was the only one that sustained any damage. A claim was filed and an adjuster assigned who advised me that I could use a repair shop in their network or take my car to a shop of my choosing. I thought there would be an advantage to using an in-network shop. WRONG! The estimate doubled after it was broken down and my car totaled. It had only moderate front end damage and there was some concern that some of the parts to be replaced were not damaged.

When some of the costs were questioned, the mechanic responded that they could charge up to that amount. Needless to say we moved the car to another facility where the estimate was less and the car is in the process of being repaired and the check is on the way to the shop. They provided a rental cardio a few days and then discontinued it although I have been paying a premium for thirty days. Reason given, our moving the car stopped forward progress. CUSTOMER SERVICE is horrible. Representative, Lauren, hung up on my son. Never contacted me to discuss options when my car was totaled. Still has not called. Still awaiting a response to my email regarding rental coverage. Have only approved sixteen days out of thirty to which I am entitled. Adjuster assigned is Lauren **. If you are looking for insurance, RUN, don't walk away from this one.

Original review: March 7, 2019

My car was totaled in an auto accident on Feb. 7, 2019. It is now March 7, 2019 and the claim is still not completed. The car was determined a total loss on Feb. 20, 2019. It took SAFECO two weeks to investigate and value the car. Yet another week to write a check to my bank to pay off the loan. And still the check has not been received by my bank - one week after the check was supposedly written. I am accruing interest on a loan for a vehicle that I no longer have and was signed over to the insurance company. It has been 30 days now and not yet resolved.

Don't use this insurance. Claims are a big hassle and Safeco is in NO HURRY to resolve anything for you. I had to leave 3 voice mails and 7 emails to get a response from the adjuster on the update of the claim over the course of two weeks. His voice mail is always full because he never returns a call and I got two different "out of the office" responses to emails within a two week time frame. The claim is still open and NOT resolved as I patiently wait for the check to arrive to my bank. HORRIBLE customer service, SUPER SLOW on results. Go elsewhere for your insurance needs.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Please be careful with people who have Safeco Insurance, I was hit from behind by a woman who demanded I made her hit my brand new car and the claim Insurance Adjuster was acting like they were in the car with this woman and saying I did intentionally made her 18-year-old car hit my Brand new car. They did not accept liability even after hearing the insured agreed to trying to run me off the road. This company is absolute garbage and Lawsuit is already filed against their insured. Please request a new Insurance adjuster if you get a woman by the name of COURTNEY ** @ **.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I had a terrible experience with this insurance company. They lied to me (I have wrong info they sent me in emails); gave me misinformation; and clearly do not care about the people they provide services to. I would strongly encourage you to go with another provider.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

NEVER AGAIN WITH SAFECO. Reported to DMV that I don't have insurance, after I canceled insurance with them, even though, I bought insurance with another company. Never had that happened before with other companies.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

They claim to be an insurance company, but I have only seen them take money and run. I was rear-ended by a Safeco customer. They accepted fault, no discrepancy. All in the police report. Safeco sent me a fraction of the amount the estimate was for and said the body shop can call and ask for more when they need it. I have tried to call for over a week, to get a replacement vehicle while mine is being worked on, now that I see they are going to dole the money out a few dollars at a time, taking however long they want to decide in between. No luck. No one will call back. April was the main adjuster, then she diverted the account to another one. I haven't heard from the next one either. I have even left a message with a supervisor. Haven't heard back from him either. I would never use this company and I can't imagine actually being one of their customers in need.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Rear-ended by a Safeco insured driver. The driver admitted complete fault and my car was a total loss. Safeco wants to give me half of the value of my vehicle and refuses to negotiate. I can't find another comparable vehicle to buy with the amount offered. The adjuster Katherine ** is extremely rude. As if it was my fault. I'm stuck with no car and no answers. If you don't have to work with Safeco, please don't ever do so!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

A car covered by Safeco hit my house several months ago. They never came out to see my house. I had to submit pictures. I gave them several quotes but they got an estimate from a third party and that is all they would approve. They cut me a check for a very low amount. I can't find a contractor to fix my house for what they say it should cost. The insurance agent I was assigned says I have to go through the third party and have them raise the estimate before they can pay more, and the third party says, no we just give them an estimate and that is all.

I am currently going back and forth trying to talk to anyone who can help me. I even told them if you can find someone to fix my house for that amount, go ahead and send them my way. He even suggested me go through my insurance and have my insurance sue them to get the money to fix it!? Crazy. Anyways I would never use SAFECO for anything if I didn't absolutely have to!!!! TERRIBLE COMPANY!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

John **‎ to Safeco Insurance. 21 hrs · Is Safeco having financial problems? I opened an auto claim five weeks ago. I've been trying to get a return call or email from the claims adjuster assigned for over 30 days now with no luck. I've left numerous voice messages and sent emails. I've escalated to the main claims customer service number. I've called the claims adjusters' manager and the manager's manager. And still nothing. Has anyone else experienced this with Safeco? There's an internal dysfunction that's shocking and leads me to believe the company is in trouble. **. Hundreds of similar experiences with SAFECO: SAFECO/Liberty Mutual Claim Number: **.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

My initial experience with Safeco was good. Where customer services began to fall short was in 2016-17-18... Not following through, rude and disrespectful. Documentation upkeep and not honoring my requests. I finally changed my policy on Nov 3, 2018 - short by 2 months of an annual policy. I received a letter stating that I owed Safeco money. I requested a statement to show why I owed this money and a customer service told me they would mail out a statement. I didn’t receive the statement so I called back. The representative on the phone told me that customer service said that they didn’t have to send me anything. Then Safeco sent my case to the Credit Bureau.

I filed a complaint with the Department of Insurance. They were able to get the form that I requested and pointed out the reason on file. While the commission cannot discipline the rep's unprofessional behavior, I’m glad that I cancelled my policy with this company. I secured a new policy with a professional company that goes above and beyond my service needs. Now I have a relationship with the owner of her own agency. Valuable lesson: I will read contracts more thoroughly, ask more questions, and be tuned in with whom I invest my money and how I conduct future business transactions. Be mindful future seekers.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I had up until this month enjoyed my 2 years with Safeco. Upon shopping the policies this year, I was able to save $500 for more coverage thru AAA. I sent my agent a notice by email on 12/12/18 that I would not renew and wanted to cancel the policies. He responded, "OK and good luck". Upon receiving my credit card statement, Safeco charged me for the renewal. I called the Customer Service number to get my refund. She told me to call my agent. Obviously, that did not work and I asked her to do it. She cannot. I asked for the contact info for the Corporate Office in Seattle. She acted as if she never had this question before and suddenly could not find the info. She has now offered to see day Cancellation forms by email. WTH? So much for a recommendation in the future from me. BY THE WAY, 4 members of my family have policies with Safeco still, not for long. Good Luck to you guys! This is why Insurance Agencies are no longer needed!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I was hit by a person insured by Safeco on December 2, 2018. Claims adjuster Angelo ** did not want to hear all the details, only some. They did accept??? liability. On Friday January 18, we were told by Rebecca ** they would be overnighting my check, that they lowballed me on, by Saturday January 19. They did not do this and tell me I have to wait till Tuesday now. Luckily, my aunt used to work for them and told me a decision maker will be in on Monday January 21. I hope they direct deposit it or my family will be on the street. This is an AWFUL company with AWFUL customer service.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

A lady hit my car that was insured by Safeco. Promptly the next day the adjuster, Melissa ** called and said they were going to set up a time and place for me to have my vehicle repaired. She gave me three suggestions, however she noted I could choose whomever I would like. The repairs were made in a fairly timely manner... (Not satisfied with the negligence of the repair shop.) The accident occurred in October and I have been trying to get in touch with Melissa to discuss the diminished value as I am looking to purchase another vehicle. I cannot get in touch with anyone, I cannot get anyone to call me back. THIS IS AN AWFUL insurance company. If you are looking to buy insurance... buyer beware, if you get hit by someone that is insured by them... you are screwed. Good luck getting a person to contact you!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

In Oct 2018 my daughter was in an accident. The car was towed to the collision shop for repairs. SAFECO mailed a check for the estimated damages. A month after the accident SAFECO informed us the car was totaled. We already turned in the estimated damages check to the bank (lien holder). It is not Jan 2019 and SAFECO will NOT pay the remaining payoff of the vehicle. No one answers the phones or returns calls or emails. Now we are stuck with still paying on a totaled vehicle that we no longer have. Worst insurance company ever!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I had a simple question-will rate be increased if I have to file a claim for windshield glass coverage with just a little nick - to prevent it from spreading and -who should I take it to for the "glue stick"!! My agent referred me to claims. I was on a "loop" then sent to the wrong department- then sent to right department but...they wanted total history and couldn't give me an answer until the claim was processed. In the meantime- my crack could spread- still don't know who to take it to and don't know if my insurance policy will be penalized for repair of a "NICK"! This robotic world we live in is not Consumer Friendly!!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

There was a collision to my car and I reported that on the same day "Dec 4th." They assigned a representative and send me an email to take the car for estimation and I took my car on 6th. The representative called me on 21st asking, "Have you been to estimate your car?" I replied, "Well I did the estimation 15 days ago." And she replied, "Oh I am missing your email." They were not able to provide services in 15 days and still it will take a week or two for them to find out my email send to them on 6th. Never Trust SAFECO.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Just filed my complaint with Texas Department of Insurance today. I called them 11/06/2018 to file a vandalism claim. They sent an adjuster out and apparently didn't like the amount of the repair. So they changed my claim rep and said they made an error in handling and they were going to send a forensics specialist to look at my truck. It took nearly a month before he got there. It took another couple of weeks before they denied the claim. They took every means to deny my claim, over a month later, and my truck was not touched in that timeframe.

They denied my claim 12/10/2018 and didn't tell me until the next day, but they already stopped the rental car the day before as well. So Enterprise calls my wife and tells her that it was stopped on the 10th and that it's our responsibility to pay for the rental. They omitted a fuel sample even though pictures that THEY took show contaminated fuel. My wife checked our Safeco acct. website, and they are charging us back for something, I have no idea what, but the bill is $400.00 higher for next month. I have taken the liberty to have my own fuel analysis done, because I know this is going to get dirty. Luckily I have the dealership to back up my claim as well as an attorney on standby to fight it in court. I would highly recommend anybody other than Safeco. Very crooked company, no morals nor ethics. If I could give 0 stars instead of one, I most certainly would.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I was insured by All State. My insurance premium was increased every year by quite a bit. So... I got a quote from SAFECO and it was nearly $100 less a month, so I switched my car and house insurance to them. After the first year my premiums increased over a $100 a year. I just got my renewal papers and my car insurance has increase over $200 a year this time. I have had no claims or tickets. I only have 22,000 miles on my car which is a 2013 Avalon. In other words, I have a great driving record and my car is older and worth less, but my premiums continue to rise yearly after the first year with SAFECO.

Last year I sent the form in asking that they review my premiums to see if an adjustment was needed. I heard nothing. I have sent another form in last month asking for an adjustment again. So far I have heard nothing. It did me NO GOOD to switch insurance companies except for the 1st year. I think this must be a gimmick to get you to switch and then they just raise it up to whatever they want. I realize Louisiana has the highest rates in the country, really! Has anyone else experienced this?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I've been with Safeco for a long time. Recently they sent a bill that I don’t owe. They said they sent a check 2 years ago. I never received or cash. Now they say I better pay. I have talk to multiple representatives and states it will be fix since they saw I never cash or received. Now a week later it shows up again. I called to go over the account and see if it can be fixed. They keep giving me the runaround and transfer to someone else. I need this resolved. Don’t use this company for which they can come up with a bill you don’t owe. I have been paying my bill on time for years. Now they are trying to charge me for something I never cash or received.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I was rear-ended by A SAFECO insured driver recently and followed their Sr. Claims representatives directions as to whom could do the estimate and they arranged an appointment for me. The estimate I received yesterday was for roughly a $1,000. This morning I get an E-mail from the same representative telling me the check is in the mail for $500. I assumed there was a mistake and I called her (Kristian) to let her know of the discrepancy. She informed me that they would only pay for some of the damage to my compact pickup truck. She said the bumper would be replaced but her insured vehicle could not have also damaged my tailgate, in-turn I would be responsible for this.

When the accident occurred I had just picked up a friend and we loaded her wheelchair into the back of my pickup through the tailgate. After the accident when I went to drop her off the tail gate would not open (because I had just been hit by an SUV), according to the SAFECO rep I must be lying. She repeatedly told me that yes her client rear-ended me but could not have damaged the tailgate, just the rear bumper based on the damage to her clients vehicle. She implied that I was not truthful, in-turn you reading this negative review.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

My husband was rear ended by Safeco insured driver. We went to Safeco garage to get an estimate. They sent an email saying they were paying only half because the damage to the Safeco insured driver was not as much as the estimate for our vehicle. WHAT A Crock of **. They are a crappy company. If you are hit by someone that has Safeco beware!!! Terrible experience... I would give them a zero rating.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I was hit by a Safeco driver on October 8th. I have heard from Safeco twice. They sent me to get my estimate. I have not heard from them since and neither has my insurance company. The lady who is handling the claim (Amanda) told me that she would get back with me a week after the estimate was done. I haven’t heard anything back. I have left multiple voicemails for her and she does not return calls. I’m just now waiting for her to contact me back to see if they accept liability. The two times I have spoken with her she has been rude and very disrespectful.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

This is the WORST company ever. Their customer hit my car while it was parked and it took almost two months to get fixed because their appraiser was so incompetent. He was off by almost $3000 so they had to go back and forth to get approval for all the things that needed to get fixed. Also, they are liars. This guy even lied on a three-way call with the mechanic. He agreed to one thing and then sent an email confirming the exact opposite. Be extra careful if you have to deal with this guy.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I was hit from behind from a Safeco issuer. They never called to see how I was or what was the damage to my car. I did receive a letter from one of their Senior Claim Resolution Rep (Ryan **) stating he needs "me" to call him, which I did... but of course he was in a meeting? And would call me back, well 5 days later no call. Then I emailed him and his response was: "I didn't send you a letter," well I send him a pic of it... then he responded that I need to call their 800 # and have them get in touch with the adjuster handling the claim, then why I receive a letter from him? So, I email the adjuster and cc Ryan **, the adjuster never got back to me but Ryan ** did telling not to include him on the emails... really. You would think as a Sr Claim Resolution Rep you would like to know what's going on... what a tool.

SAFECO Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

SAFECO Auto Insurance is a Liberty Mutual Company that provides a broad range of insurance products for vehicle and property owners. While the company has a national presence, it also employs local agents who provide services in specific states.

• Online quotes: SAFECO Auto Insurance's online quote center lets potential policyholders compare products and prices so they can choose options that match their budgets.

• Roadside assistance: Drivers with SAFECO Auto Insurance can get roadside assistance services 24 hours a day, seven days a week to make sure they are not stranded in unsafe circumstances.

• Rental cars: The company helps policyholders explore rental car options so they can still drive even when their vehicles are in repair at a mechanic shop.

• Claims center: SAFECO Auto Insurance's claims center is available 24 hours a day to take reports and provide information about pending claims.

• Credit-based insurance scores: SAFECO Auto Insurance uses each client's credit-based insurance score to measure how likely it is that the person will file an auto insurance claim.

• Best for: Drivers who want insurance policies that match their budgets and drivers who want to save money.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky