SAFECO Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

This post is to make you aware of the type of customer service you'll receive with SAFECO INSURANCE... This started after the "Great Flood of 2016" in Louisiana. Being told TWICE a vehicle is a total loss and yet still fighting. This post is a a bit long but I felt like sharing details would make it a little more understandable what we're dealing with. This is not just hear say information (everything is documented).

8/19/16 - Called into insurance company because check engine light came on. Was told to bring it by a shop. In which this process was delayed due to helping others, working with the flood and shops were absolutely busy with flooded vehicles. Aug-Sept.2016 The truck started to have electrical issues and was now at a point that seemed to be unsafe to drive. The lights began to flicker along with several other issues.

9/30/16 Truck was taking to a local shop who contacted Michael at Safeco. Michael at Safeco contacted my husband and told him to quit driving the truck immediately. He was told to get his belongings out of the truck including truck paperwork, take the plate off the truck, and start shopping for another truck. That the truck would be towed to Copart and we would receive a call from the adjuster with what they are going to give for the truck. He set up for my husband to pick up a rental.

10/01/16 - Rental truck picked up. 10/07/16 - Truck was picked up and towed to Copart. 10/10/16- Adjuster looked at the truck and my husband received a call from Michael with Safeco stating that another adjuster was going to inspect the truck on 10/14/16 and he would receive a call by 2p.m. that day. 10/14/16 - My husband received a call from Ali (adjuster for Safeco) stating, "When I arrived to take a look at your truck there was a worker sitting in it because the air works", she also stated, "I couldn't find any water lines and the filters were dry so your truck will need to go to another shop to be diagnosed. Let me know when you know where you want the truck sent."

10/17/16 - Truck was towed to All Star in Denham Springs. My husband was contacted because they had no clue why his truck was there. My husband explained to them about what was going on and gave them Ali the adjusters information. 10/20/16 - All Star still had not heard from anyone at Safeco insurance. Our insurance agent (who is not employed by Safeco) called and told, "All Star what was going on." My husband was told it would be the middle of the next week before it could be looked at. In email requesting rental services be extended Ali stated the truck is drivable. He could be driving it while waiting on the shop to be able to see it. I found no evidence of water intrusion to this vehicle... Remember this is AFTER a shop found electrical issues AND a Safeco employee told us it was going to be totalled!

10/20/16 - My husband returned the rental and picked up his truck from All Star. At our surprise his truck was being used more than just as a seat in the air. His truck condition was woefully inadequate! The truck now has additional damages as well as was used as storage for other vehicle parts (bumper, lights and other parts that we aren't sure of what they are). We took pictures and a video before we left All Star.

10/21/16 - My husband spoke with Micheal (1st Safeco adjuster) who stated that it was totally unacceptable for the truck to be driven until it has been reevaluated and sent in for a rental extension. 10/24/16- My husband returned his truck to All Star and picked up another rental. 10/25/16- All Star called/email and stated, "The unit that was brought to us has a water mark halfway up the door, we do not accept vehicles that got water that high, due to the amount of electrical problems this causes. If any questions, feel free to call, thanks." 10/26/16- We are NOW being told that Safeco is now requesting the truck have diagnostic testing.

It has been 26 days and we have now been told not once but TWICE that the truck is a total loss and YET SAFECO is requesting MORE!!! My husband's job requires that he be able to pull a trailer (which the rental will not cover) so not only has this been a huge headache but a burden also. We have contacted the Insurance Commissioner and Safeco hasn't replied to them yet either but they still have five business days. Save yourself the headache and pay a little more if required but take my advice and DON'T buy insurance with SAFECO!

By far the worse insurance roadside assistant I've ever came across in my entire life. Have waited 2 1/2 hrs for someone and nothing but they charge my card right away. I'm 9 months pregnant waiting for a damn tow truck that my insurance couldn't provide. I pay them my monthly payments on time and they sure charged my card right away. Extremely furious and disappointed. Never had this problem with Allstate. Canceling this insurance right away and calling it quits, never worth this type of headache.

About 6 weeks ago I lost control of my car in a snowstorm and hit a guardrail head on. The vehicle was still running fine, all the lights etc were working fine as I checked while I waited for the tow truck. I reported the accident immediately to Peerless through my agent and rented a vehicle that night. The next day I called them again directly and they told me the car rental was covered, and they would contact me once the appraisal was done.

After a week I still heard nothing, so I called the auto body business and they said nobody had been in contact with them either. I had a car rental so I thought I would just give them more time. After 2 weeks I started inquiring again because I thought they should have a figure by then, but they didn't. Again I thought I'd have to wait for them to finally respond.

Out of the blue, I received a check from them in the mail with no discussion, no explanation and I considered the amount of the check to be a mistake since it was so low. I called the next day and was told that I should not have gotten a check and that was the incorrect amount even though they still didn't know what that amount should be.

I was told I had to wait my turn, there's a certain number of people ahead of us and to just wait. I knew it was getting close to the 30 day maximum for the car rental and the rental agency had to get an extension approved several times already. I finally call and insist on somebody telling me where my claim stood. This second person finally emailed me the settlement offer and that my vehicle was considered totaled. When we rejected the offer amount she responded to send her some comparable car listings in my area with their prices and she may reconsider the amount.

I sent her about 5 comps that showed the picture, price, location and dealers from screenshots I took on my phone. Her response was that they were completely unacceptable because it wasn't the entire listing. So I sent another complete set of entire listings and didn't get a response. The next day I emailed her to see if she got the listings and I got an automated message that she would be out of the office until the next Tuesday morning. I waited from Friday until Tues. and emailed her again and got another automated message that she was out of the office until JUNE! (This was March.) I had my agent contact them and we heard from the third person. She stated she couldn't open my email to the previous claims rep. and I had to send all the listings to her again, which I did.

At this point I had stopped by the autobody shop to retrieve my plates off my car and they informed me that Peerless/Safeco had called them about 4 days ago and had towed my car to a salvage yard in another town quite a distance away. Nobody had asked me or informed me that they had "disposed" of my vehicle before we had even settled my claim! In this State, I have a right to get another appraisal if I do not agree with their offer, now I have lost that ability. There is no proof of what original condition my car was in before they towed it 100 miles away and deposited it at a salvage yard. They told me I could still have someone go find it in the salvage yard (which is the largest auto salvage company in the US) and they could look at it there. First of all, I would have to pay the appraiser to now travel all day there and back plus pay for the appraisal.

Secondly, Safeco told me if I did this that they would contact an appraiser and I would also have to pay half for an "umpire". Meanwhile, since they dragged out communicating with us, the car rental period expired and I had to pay over $300 so far to rent a vehicle on my own. Which this claims agent told me they would pay for about 4 more days, then they went back on that promise, and shut off coverage of the rental. When I took the rental back, they informed me I would have to pay cash for part of the rental that Peerless wouldn't pay from way back on the first day of rental, with no explanation to me why it was rejected.

I finally contacted the State Bureau of Insurance and was told they did several things wrong and to file a formal complaint so they could investigate, which they have 17 days to respond. There is a method of deceptiveness, it is not a coincidence that they waited until the last minute to finally correspond with me because they knew the car rental was expired and they had illegally towed away my car so I didn't have access to it. I also had planned to have the auto body manager take another look at my car because I believed it was repairable, and now I cannot do that.

Further, Peerless made deductions from their offer because my cars interior was dirty, but they had told the auto body shop that it was settled, and they crammed all exterior car parts, bumper...into the interior of the car grease and all! Their appraiser even outright lied in stating that my car had 5 or so major dents in the door, which my car had zero dents in the doors! They have woven this huge mess that makes it impossible for an everyday consumer to wade through and be made whole. "Full" coverage is a misnomer, as they admit that they do not pay you what it's worth to get on the road again.

They know we will have to pay another few thousand dollars in addition to their settlement. Basically, you can pay for insurance for thirty years then when you need it you find out it's not full coverage, it's partial coverage. My car had fairly new Nissan exhaust and catalytic converter from end to end, new transmission all genuine and installed at a Nissan dealership but they don't give any extra for that, just deductions for false appraisals.

BEWARE: I was shocked to learn a few weeks ago, that my auto insurance had inaccurately billed me for $95 during the summer of 2013 when I moved from North Carolina to Virginia... that my autopay bank drafts show that there was never a missed payment, that I never received a physical copy of the bill for $95, but that two and a half years later this inaccurate $95 is showing on my credit report. And now I have to go through a roller-coaster process (that involves so much of my very precious time) to try and get it removed. Here's how this went down: I obtained SAFECO Insurance after calling AAA. AAA is an organization that has earned my trust after several decades of membership; I relied on their expertise when I became dissatisfied with GEICO.

When I moved from North Carolina to Virginia in July 2013 I called SAFECO to give my new address and update my insurance policy and spoke with Marti. I'd already made my July insurance payment (July 24, 2013), so Marti explained that I was good until August 19th when the new Virginia policy would begin and that I could keep my auto draft. On August 21, 2013 the payment went through for the new Virginia policy. My bank statements show that I never missed a payment.

When I learned about the $95 charge showing on my credit report December 23, 2015, I called SAFECO immediately, spoke with a very pleasant woman, who assured me she would investigate and get back to me. I never heard from her again. So on Friday January 15, 2015 I called, this time reaching Jack ** who turned out to be incredibly acerbic (for a customer service rep no less). He stated that the woman I spoke with a few weeks earlier left a note on the account stating that she investigated the situation and that I had to pay the $95. I asked to speak with a supervisor; Jack assured me this was impossible. I asked for physical proof that I owed $95, he stated, "We don't keep records going back that far." I asked for the supervisor's email; Jack informed me that they don't communicate through email, only paper mail. "Fine, then send me something on paper that verifies this $95 charge."

I repeatedly stressed to Jack that if Marti made a mistake setting up my new account back in the summer of 2013, SAFECO can correct this mistake, but that my records show that I made a payment every single month without fail. I also explained that I was on auto draft, so how could there be a missed payment? Jack stated that once I moved the auto draft no longer worked on the North Carolina account; my reply, "Correct, because I no longer owed any money for the North Carolina policy."

On and on it went... Jack wouldn't listen, Jack never apologized, Jack never connected me with a supervisor, Jack is sending a paper letter telling me I owe $95 but it's my understanding this letter will NOT include any documentation about how SAFECO arrived at the charge because Jack himself could NOT tell me where this charge came from other than it was related to my old North Carolina policy (to which I kept replying, "Then Marti set it up my new policy incorrectly/terminated my old policy incorrectly and you need to correct her mistake" ... to which Jack kept replying, "No, you need to pay the $95." As an aside, I'd like to note, that I find it puzzling that SAFECO hasn't joined the rest of the world in adapting to modern technology in the new millennium; they have not updated their systems to coincide with technological advancements in the but rather have opted to remain with paper for everything.

(Another example, I had to cancel my credit card while traveling this summer after someone confiscated the number and racked up a big bill. With so much stress, while traveling, I completely forgot about my SAFECO auto draft. SAFECO sent me a letter in the mail, which of course I never opened because I never open physical mail anymore. To make a long story short, I eventually learned the hard way that my policy was in jeopardy of being canceled. But I did indeed learn that I owed money and promptly paid. The point is, when I truly did owe money, the point eventually was brought to my attention, much slower than I would have liked because of snail mail, but nonetheless I did indeed learn about it.) But not in 2013... which further emphasizes the fraudulent nature of this $95 charge.

We have had no contact with the insurance company. We have not had any claims for over 30 years. Our agent chooses the insurance company that fits our needs. They accept monthly payments taken out of our checking account. We do not have to pay a lump sum once or twice a year. We have older cars and they will insure them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SAFECO Auto Insurance?

The agents at SAFECO Insurance are always willing to go the extra mile to make their customers happy. The one we go to is conveniently located and our agent makes my husband and I comfortable when it comes to making decisions regarding insurance. If you need insurance, SAFECO should be one, if not the only, place you go.

We don't ever receive any updates or changes happening on our policy by mail or email. We receive no incentives for being good drivers, or carrying the policy for over 10 years. Our rates continually climb, and we don't have a local agent to talk to about any of these issues.

Safeco has had low costs, but has been helpful when I have been in an accident. They worked well with other insurance companies when someone else hit me, and they quickly put me in a rental vehicle and took care of my claim. I am very pleased with my service. I would recommend them to friends and family.

Safeco has been a great insurance company to work with. We've used their roadside assistance program before when we locked our keys in on the car. It was quick and easy to use. I like having a personal agent to call who is helpful whenever we have questions. I would definitely recommend Safeco to those searching for auto insurance.

I have not had to really use it thankfully since I got it but it is weird how the premium keeps rising every year even without an accident. It is quite frustrating really because most insurance companies lower the premium as time goes on wherein there is no accident or ticket.

I have had Safeco Auto Insurance for almost 20 years and have never had a problem with claims. They have always been easy to contact and have taken care of each claim without problems. Their employees are always available and get back quickly with answers to any questions. I have my home insurance with them also. The service for homeowners insurance is just as good as Auto. I would highly recommend Safeco Insurance to anyone looking for coverage.

Since I have not ever had any accidents, my rates for insurance is reasonable and I have been pleased with the service I receive, as well as the representatives. This particular insurance company seems to be the most reasonably priced with commendable consumer ratings. I believe it's a popular and well known company. I also like that I have the option of managing my policy and payments on line.

I have only been a customer for one month, and switched from Allstate because I saved about 300/year. I have had no claims with either company so cannot compare their claims service. I have had no problems with setting up my account and am satisfied with their billing and payment options.

I have not had any problems with the company at all. I also haven't had to make any claims so there has not been any reason for me to have any issues with the company. The price is not too expensive but it has gone up a couple dollars for this current year.

Our family has used Safeco for years and we've been extremely satisfied with the level of service they provide. Not only is our agent responsive when we have a question, but Safeco as a company stands by us without hesitation. Our policy cost decreases yearly, there are no hidden fees, and it's great bundling various insurance coverages together under one company such as auto & homeowners insurance. When claims do need to be made, Safeco has always done so efficiently and without any trouble at all. Safeco certainly has made us much happier than any other insurance company we've been with in the past!

Very happy with coverage provided at a reasonable price compared to other companies. I like the option to pay in full (1 year) at a discount or in semi annual installments for a discount as well. They do also provide monthly payment option. We have had this insurance for a couple of years now and our rates continue to decrease. No accidents or tickets. We have 2 older cars (2002 & 2008) that we cover. Can pay either the agent directly or pay online.

Safeco offers a nice auto and homeowners discount. If you combine both policies together you can get a bundle discount. They also offer the lowest rate that myself and my husband have found for both auto and home insurance. We have our insurance agent check every six months and Safeco has consistently been the most reasonable price for the past year or so.

We have been using Safeco for quite a while now. We only had to file a claim once when my car got hit by another car. Everything went very smooth and quick. It is not the most affordable insurance but it is a good value and we are happy with the customer support.

I have been with Safeco for about 3 years now and have been very happy with their rates. We have made a couple claims and their representatives have been very helpful and friendly. They also respond quickly and answer any questions in a timely manner and as best their knowledge allows.

I have used this insurance for many years along with home insurance and have never had a problem. We needed a new roof on our house and the claim went through for this in less than a week. Also any changes that my insurance agent recommends is done either by phone or in person which shows this is a company that looks after its customers.

I have had this insurance for a number of years. Local offices or agents makes it easy to ask questions or file a claim. I had a no fault car accident and I was impressed on how they handled the claim. Very easy to report it and deal with only one person. They got me a rental car the same day. I have checked other insurances and the rates may be less, but I like the quality of service I get. I appreciate that they have a easy to use website and access 24 hours per day to talk with someone. My local Agent recently called to inform me of some new services available through the website for Safeco. That is great customer service. Thanks.

Safeco is a wonderful company. They have helped my family out so much with claims and things of that nature. When a tree fell on my car, all I had to pay was my $100 deductible and the rest was covered. All of the repairs to my car was covered. Even the rental car was covered by Safeco. It was the most painless experience I have ever had with an insurance company. I would recommend them to anyone.

SAFECO has really good rates compared to other insurance companies we looked at. Our insurance agent was great setting our account up and he is always available to answer questions or concerns that we might have. As of right now, we have nothing to say negative about SAFECO. Thank you.

Safeco is available by phone and e-mail at your convenience and answers questions immediately. They bill me twice yearly online. I have not had the need to file a claim to date. My premium is the best I could find for liability only for my needs.

Safeco insures multiple vehicles for my family. They are easy to get in touch when needed. When I make changes to our policy their customer service representatives are always very helpful and polite. They make it easy to renew our policy and save me time.

I have had limited experience using my auto insurance company. However through setting up the policy and making adjustments to the policy I have had no concerns. Very easy to work with.

Since I've only been with them for less than a year and have never had a claim, I can't really say if they pay up as promised. They did make one mistake on my billing, but were very responsive when I called. It was fixed right away. The one thing I HATE is that they don't send a bill, email, anything for progress payments--you just have to remember to make them.

Safeco has been great to use for our insurance. They are affordable and offer great options at a reasonable price and have been able to save us money that some of the bigger name insurance companies couldn't do.

I switched to Safeco when AAA had such high increases and they had good rates even at my policy numbers of 300/100. I took $1000 deductibles to decrease rates even more. Their policy is easy to follow and has a lot of nice touches to it in the details. I haven't dealt with their customer service much because the policy writer is independent and he helps me a lot. However, the times I have worked directly with Safeco customer service has left me with nothing but good things to say.

Good to work with when an accident happens. And good prices. I'm very happy with the service I have had. Would recommend. I am very, very, very satisfied.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

SAFECO Auto Insurance is a Liberty Mutual Company that provides a broad range of insurance products for vehicle and property owners. While the company has a national presence, it also employs local agents who provide services in specific states.

• Online quotes: SAFECO Auto Insurance's online quote center lets potential policyholders compare products and prices so they can choose options that match their budgets.
  • Roadside assistance: Drivers with SAFECO Auto Insurance can get roadside assistance services 24 hours a day, seven days a week to make sure they are not stranded in unsafe circumstances.
  • Rental cars: The company helps policyholders explore rental car options so they can still drive even when their vehicles are in repair at a mechanic shop.
  • Claims center: SAFECO Auto Insurance's claims center is available 24 hours a day to take reports and provide information about pending claims.
  • Credit-based insurance scores: SAFECO Auto Insurance uses each client's credit-based insurance score to measure how likely it is that the person will file an auto insurance claim.
  • Best for Drivers who want insurance policies that match their budgets and drivers who want to save money.

Compare Auto Insurance