Find the Best Match

FIND MY MATCH
3.11/5
Based on 114 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Safeco Insurance is a Liberty Mutual company that offers several different insurance products, including home, life and auto insurance. Safeco is a verified InsuraMatch partner. For quotes from Safeco Insurance and others, call InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Find the Best Match

Compare Quotes and Save on Auto Insurance

FIND MY MATCH

114 SAFECO Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 23, 2018

On the night of 4/4/2018 my wife was stopped in traffic on the 805 freeway southbound near San Diego CA. Due to freeway repairs, lanes were slowed or stopped; the time was approximately 10 pm. She was rear ended in our 2001 Honda Accord. Highway Patrol made 2 separate reports. Because there were two separate accidents (not related) with three vehicles, one report included three vehicles, and the other report included two. Report ** with three vehicles was the one where our #3 vehicle (2001 Honda Accord) was involved. Highway Patrol declared that Safeco Insurance client car # 1 caused the collision due to speeding. It was a frustrating two and a half months of Safeco Insurance refusing to accept liability. I had to do the legwork and inform them that there were 2 police reports when, eventually, they figured it out.

My complaint is that I was without a vehicle for two and a half months while Safeco tried to find a claims resolution representative that could figure out the two police reports. At one point I received the approval in moving forward with the repair after the company accepted liability for the collision, but changed their mind. They then named another claims resolution representative that started the case from the beginning causing Safeco Insurance to needlessly declare the car as a total loss. Total cost to repair the car was $3,061.81, a figure far less expensive than declaring the car a total loss.

Kelly Blue Book appraised my car condition at $3,200 to $3,500 the day after the accident. Below is a list of upgrades to the car that were not figured correctly in the market valuation report:
• Only $44.00 credit received for a Pioneer AVIC-F900BT CD, GPS touch screen unit that, with installation, cost $764.04.
• Safeco deducted $116.00 for not having the ‘original’ 6 CD changer in the vehicle when the vehicle originally came with a cassette/single CD player.
• Only $107.00 credit received for a four-wheel alignment and new tires that only had 5,000 miles. The alignment and tires cost $705.30.

• NO credit received for the alternator and 3 belts that were replaced 7 days before the accident totaling $562.47.

The payout for the loss should be approximately $4,500.00 before taxes and fees, with a grand total of at least $5,000. Safeco has a total payout for the loss, including ‘upgrades,’ at $3,615 plus $525.17 for license and fees equaling $4,140.17. Due to the erroneous market valuation report of my Honda, I am running at least $1,000 short. With the undervaluing of my car, lack of professionalism, and loss of the car for two and a half months, I would like to know what my options are as I do not find this to be a fair settlement.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I had an auto policy with the company, I canceled the policy before the next billing period and was told there was a stop payment so that my account would not be debited. The payment was still processed. When I called about when the amount would be refunded they told me 5 to 10 days, the amount of $101.04 was debited from my checking account on 6/22, I received a refund of $69.16 on 7/9, that is not the amount they deducted from my account. The policy dates ran from the 22 to the 22 of each month, the policy was canceled on the 21st. When I called the agent, he informed that I would have to contact the main branch accounting. I contact them and they tell me they are there for the agents not for policy owners, but they do speak with me, they continue to tell me that I owed the $31.88 missing from the refund.

If I canceled before the policy date why do I owe for days I didn't use? This is not the first time this has happened and I allowed it to slide the first time but as a single mother who has camp fees to pay I am having to pinch pennies so I can not let it slide this time. I have had a terrible experience with the agent and this company, I also had a difficult time with my homeowners insurance, in which they said the premium was never paid but when I checked with the escrow company they said they had paid it and pulled the cashed check, Safeco still said the premium wasn't paid and canceled my homeowners policy.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I got this insurance because was a referral from Primerica. My vehicle was stolen with lots of stuff. And I call to claim my insurance to cover the lost. But my surprise was that the customer service was one of worthies ever. Name Jocelyn **. She start make me questions, and at the same time. Putting me like if I was doing fake information. Repeating me the same questions. She hang out with me. And like in five minutes called me back saying that won't covered my lost. And she ask me some stupid questions like this. "Do you understand what I'm saying." And sadly I say, "Yes." I didn't want to want to argue. Please if you want to have a bad experience like me. Think about it 1000 times... before you get this insurance company. I don't recommend it to nobody!!

Original review: June 14, 2018

Getting to speak to the same person is hard. Seems no one likes to answer the phone at SAFECO. When A customer calls, and he /she may wait a minute or two for the phone to be answered. Then the customer may pass through three or four representatives before talking to a rep that can't help. Why stay? It's the cost being low that keeps people there.

Original review: June 5, 2018

They just get your money over the years and then even a small incident like windshield breakage happens and they just give you run around and never pay for your windshield stating that I have to use Safelite 3rd party replica on my car. This company just wants your money and won’t benefit you any when you need coverage! It’s same as getting a liability without any coverage! What a way to make money! Be aware!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SAFECO Auto Insurance?

Original review: May 31, 2018

The price is about half of what the other quotes are. Paying for the policy is easy and convenient. They also have an app to view the policy and pay the bill. Send our reminders when it is time to pay and give you a nice grace period to pay at the same time protecting themselves. Everything is online. You can easily view and print your documents online as needed. Can use paperless option if wanted. Everything is very understanding. When we have questions they are very patient at explaining what we may not understand.

Original review: May 31, 2018

SAFECO Auto Insurance has good service, good prices and helpful agent who came to our house and answered all our questions - very accessible when help is needed - made process easy. I purchased from an agent who came to our house and went over all the details. He explained details of policy, friendly and went above and beyond what was expected. I have been very satisfied with everything. Very customer oriented and very easy to contact and work with.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I had to purchase auto insurance with SAFECO because they were the best price for my homeowners insurance and required auto insurance to receive homeowners insurance. They were very helpful since it was my first policy I purchased on my own. SAFECO has a very friendly staff who responds to their customer's needs very professionally and efficiently. They offer multiple discounts for bundled services, safe driver and loyal customers. Roadside service is exceptional and they keep you up to date with periodic phone calls or text to report status. I can receive policy updates through the mail or email and I'm never on hold for extreme long portions of time.

But I don't like paying an additional $5 each month because I am unable to pay the plan in full or bi monthly each time I have to renew. This is one of my biggest pet peeves with the company. However you can save if you are able to do this so it does provide additional discounts if you can take advantage of it. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the service of SAFECO and I always feel like my needs are met.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Great purchasing experience with SAFECO Auto Insurance. I really like my representative and he does a lot for me. Much less expensive for the same coverage than Farmers Ins. They are also very responsive and easy to work with when filing a claim. I'm completely happy with my insurance.

Original review: May 28, 2018

SAFECO Auto Insurance was amazing. I am a busy mom of 6, with no time to spare on struggling to find and obtain car insurance. I was able to get a quote, start the policy, and make payments all online in a matter of minutes. That made life and the process to upkeep the policy very affordable and easy. I never had to speak to anyone and I had no trouble at all. I recommend this company to anyone looking for reliable and trustworthy insurance.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Purchasing the SAFECO insurance was quick and simple. It was shortly after Hurricane Irma last year and most companies were very far behind. I was set up with them after our current company Esurance was astronomical in Florida and they did a rate search for us. However, I have struggled getting correct insurance cards. My husband and I both drive both of our vehicles but the original cards never only had my name on my car and his name on his. Second set never showed up. We also never received current cards as our policy expired and renewed. But their service was quick and easy. I've had to call a few times but spoke directly with a representative who attempted to address my issues and concerns. I like that there wasn't a ton of automated responses and push button picks. I was able to easily navigate to a real person who attempted to help me and I received a direct number to be able to contact that person with further issues.

Original review: May 26, 2018

My husband and I chose SAFECO Auto Insurance's policy based on its cost and its overall value. It gave us the most for our money. Although we wish it had been even less expensive. My husband did most of the purchasing online and it was a quick and easy process, as I recall.

Original review: May 25, 2018

My experience with Safeco was a nerve wracking one as the price was very high for two on just liability. I was not even able to obtain uninsured motorist insurance either. They are sloppy but adjustable. The only option they had for me was liability at ninety eight dollars a month so I really had no choice. There weren't many kind options but the customer service was okay for the time being at least. It did take an hour in the office just to get the insurance through them but seemed the best fit since the price drops by five dollars every six months. While I do like that my insurance is always there with a five dollar reinstatement fee and without any late pay fees at any time, I would really enjoy a lower price or a safe drivers check or even some type of reward for being accident free. And maybe they can add a full coverage option at a lower price.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have a good policy. SAFECO offers multi-car discounts. We have two fully covered vehicles for a wonderful price. They are all around awesome as well. The people are great and they are available when you need them. Can't beat the prices or their insurance agents, they are well trained and so nice. Purchasing insurance was as easy as my friend calling and adding me to his policy he has been with for years.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I needed to purchase insurance quickly because I had just discovered that my ex-husband had let our insurance lapse, so I wasn't covered. I called several companies for quotes, but my representative with Safeco was the most helpful and I felt she was working to get me the best coverage for the best value. She also provided her cell phone number and made herself available to me in the evenings during a stressful time in which I needed to make a decision quickly. She worked quickly and able to answer any question I had. Plus, SAFECO was a recommended provider on Dave Ramsey's website, so I knew they'd been vetted and I felt I could trust that I was getting the best value. However, in general, I feel that the auto insurance industry is very expensive and I feel a bit taken advantage of.

Original review: May 22, 2018

SAFECO was well priced and attentive to customers needs. Company send to care about what their customers worry about and may have issues with. The company also had an easy sign up and the monthly premium was great. However, slow to pay claims and claims process was lengthy. To file a claim I had to speak to several different reps before there was someone who would help me with my claim. Overall experience was ok although I would probably not use them again.

Original review: May 21, 2018

SAFECO was the cheapest insurance when I searched online with Einsurance. When I first purchased it I signed up online and instead of the local office calling me back they put me with an office in California. I'm in Georgia and I had to go out of my way to find a local office and transfer the account. Hard to find offices for them. Here in town there is only one office and they are unreliable to be open or do things in a timely manner. I wish they had an office just for insurance instead of going through real estate offices.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I have had Safeco for over 30 years and purchasing insurance was easy. It was purchased in a multi-insurance company. The agents were friendly and knowledgeable. Our prior insurance was more expensive, and not as friendly. I like that I can call anytime, fast solutions to situations, offer extra umbrella coverage, bundle home and auto insurance, and discounts for multi-car accounts. Offices all over, so easy to do business you can't do over the phone. But it would be nice if the premiums were lower and the coverage should be the same as Liberty Mutual since Safeco is owned by Liberty Mutual. Also, they need an updated logo.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I called a few companies and the wait for coverage seemed a bit long. If I purchase a car, I want that car covered before I leave the lot as well as proof faxed to the dealership. SAFECO let me stop by or call and add information to the policy without headaches, this is a nice feature. Ease of quick coverage and low cost were very important when we signed up for insurance. They were helpful and fast at giving us coverage. Everything was handled online or over the phone. They are on top of their game at this point. I can call at any time and have my coverage reinstated immediately if there is a lapse due to vehicle failures etc. They are always courteous without seeming superior or like I am a bad person.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I first purchased Safeco when I worked at the division office in Spokane as a supervisor in 1975. Have been totally satisfied with the company and I really appreciate my Safeco agent. I can ask questions and get quick answers. The company has combined liability and property damage coverage policy options. Great flexibility in that plan if you ever have an accident. So far, they have been flexible as my needs change. But Senior Citizen Discount would be good idea. Seniors often have limited income and we are the safest drivers.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I enjoyed setting up my SAFECO insurance without any hidden fees and payments are always reminded. And they will work with people for payments if there is any intentions of being late or just not being able to pay it. It's easy to talk to the people because they understand and try to empathize for a situation. Also lowest rate for my license to be insured. That way I'm always carrying insurance. However they do not have independent insurance management. Dealing with a lot of people stressful especially having to explain the same situation multiple times because they don't communicate side by side.

Original review: May 16, 2018

It was very easy to purchase the policy. We went to a local office and they were the best option for us. We receive our new cards in less than three days. They worked really well with our family and our needs. I like the ease of getting a hold of their company. I also appreciate their local agents! I like how quickly they respond when I contact them and they are always kind and encouraging. I was very frustrated at how cheaply they wanted me to do my repairs, though. I take care of my vehicles and refuse to just do the bare minimum.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Safeco is a well known and big company and normally I like to support small business. Very easy to purchase the policy from Safeco. Signed up for it when I changed homeowners insurance companies. Got multiple policy discount and automatic payments so I don't forget to make a payment. Auto payments make paying bill easy. Decent coverage and seems in line with other policies I have had in the past. But could be cheaper and that would make me like it more.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I liked that it is family owned with a long term local representative, generally neutral, and relatively quick and helpful with settling claims with only a little hassle. I like the automatic withdrawal from bank account as well. But it is more expensive than competition, unsure if benefits I'm receiving are a good value for the price. Not perfect but not bad enough for me to leave.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Was really easy to switch to them. Phone call was probably less than 30 min 'cause have multiple cars and have had to add and drop cars and have had no issues with doing that. Premiums are low and haven't had to file a claim or anything yet so overall everything is really nice with Safeco. We have low premiums with four vehicles. Excellent experience this far.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Safeco is a good car insurer that many people never obtain a quote from; they are much less expensive than all other insurers, including USAA who was my insurer for the 12 years before I switched. There was confusion about the insured parties when the policy was new but their whole claims process was seamless. I damaged my rear bumper as I drove off a driveway; my insurance directed me to multiple body repair shops for estimates and (ultimately) repair. I paid the deductible and picked up a car that appeared new a couple of days later.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Everything is very easy with this company, online or on the phone, you can call 24/7 and get answers. It's a very good company to work with and very easy to file a claim with. It's easy to make payments online or over the phone. Customer service is very good too. I would recommend Safeco auto for anyone looking for cheap good insurance.

Original review: May 7, 2018

My realtor recommended them and they seemed to want to impress me. They were so easy to work with and friendly. I get a discount because I have my home insured with them also. If a tornado destroys my house and my car I only have to pay one deductible. They have a great program on windshield repair also. However, when I had my friend contact them for a quote they didn't respond. I worry if and when I need them that will be the case.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I entered the insurance office, informed and discussed the insurance agent of my insurance needs, the insurance printed out my insurance papers, I signed my insurance policy and I left the insurance office and went home. I love the fact that my insurance company does not bother me unless there is an issue with my vehicle insurance policy and I love it the insurance people leave me be.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I like several things about the insurance company that my family has chosen. I have been pleased with the process of purchasing insurance coverage. I was able to see the different options available and SAFECO was helpful to answer all of my questions plus their pricing was competitive. I love the fact that I can view my bill, check out the options for my coverage, and make changes to my coverage all online. But I would like to see the insurance company have a different procedure for submitting claims. I like their coverage, but it was not the smoothest process when we were waiting for our car to be fixed. It seemed like there was a delay between taking our car in and having it fixed.

Not sure about SAFECO Auto Insurance?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Insurance for you.

SAFECO Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

SAFECO Auto Insurance is a Liberty Mutual Company that provides a broad range of insurance products for vehicle and property owners. While the company has a national presence, it also employs local agents who provide services in specific states.

• Online quotes: SAFECO Auto Insurance's online quote center lets potential policyholders compare products and prices so they can choose options that match their budgets.

• Roadside assistance: Drivers with SAFECO Auto Insurance can get roadside assistance services 24 hours a day, seven days a week to make sure they are not stranded in unsafe circumstances.

• Rental cars: The company helps policyholders explore rental car options so they can still drive even when their vehicles are in repair at a mechanic shop.

• Claims center: SAFECO Auto Insurance's claims center is available 24 hours a day to take reports and provide information about pending claims.

• Credit-based insurance scores: SAFECO Auto Insurance uses each client's credit-based insurance score to measure how likely it is that the person will file an auto insurance claim.

• Best for: Drivers who want insurance policies that match their budgets and drivers who want to save money.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky

Carol Stream
IL
www.safeco.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business