2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.60/5

Safeco Insurance is a Liberty Mutual company that offers several different insurance products, including home, life and auto insurance. Safeco is a verified InsuraMatch partner. For quotes from Safeco Insurance and others, call InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

SAFECO Auto Insurance Gallery (3)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Safeco insurance is a Liberty Mutual company that offers insurance in a discounted package. Customers are happy with Safeco’s low prices and the ability to pay conveniently online.

PROS

• Connected with Liberty Mutual
  • Low price
  • Insures older cars
  • Offer other types of insurance and bundle discounts
  • Roadside assistance available

CONS

• A few customers noted unexperienced rate increases
  • Some customers experienced long wait times on claim responses

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

SAFECO Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: May 13, 2020

I was hit and the customer has Safeco insurance, They were nice and pleasant but they offered me 2800 for damage. So I took the car to get it estimated from two different body shops, One estimate came in at 4300 the other was almost 4600. Both auto-shops said there will be hidden damage once they get into the repair. The ins adjuster Kandy was untruthful to me in the initial phone call by stating they don't have to pay for diminished value. I knew at that period of time what I was dealing with. So I submitted the estimates from the body shops into the safeco rep, and they came back with 3800. What? 500 under the lowest estimate I got. Plus on the sheet they sent me for the estimate they figuring taxes at 5%. I am sorry but my taxes are 8.3%. Keep in mind this is before a rental car and finding the hidden damage that all vehicle seem to have.

So the way they want it is I pay for someone else to hit my car. No thanks. Stay away from Safeco and Liberty Mutual. They are the same company and they Don't care! I asked for a supervisor to call me back but as of this time no one has called me. I will file through my ins company, and let them go after the party for no payment. But I want to warn everyone that there is a reason why the rating of safeco is so low.

Original review: April 28, 2020

It took Safeco a month to simply accept liability. I was rearended at a dead stop at a stop light. It was very simple. Then they took another 2 weeks to approve an appraisal. I had severe whiplash and splitting headaches. I was treated so horribly by them it created even more stress heart related issues. Then I was charged $500 for the rental I had from soon after the accident until the whole mess was over. I was charged for their insured hitting me at a stop light. They are refusing to reimburse my out of pocket medical expenses too. All my whiplash physical therapy appointments were postponed due to the coronavirus lockdown so they figured they would get away with more because of that. I am now getting a lawyer. I suggest anytime you are dealing with safeco you just start with a lawyer.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2020

Safeco's adjustors are lazy. They allowed a fraudulent claim against me, raised my rates, and will not answer emails sent to them about the issue. The main adjustor moved into another job within Liberty Mutual and disowned all responsibility for her actions.

Original review: March 4, 2020

Safeco/Liberty Mutual is the worst insurance company I have dealt with. I won’t even give them a one star. I would give them a 0 star. I had them for six years. Filed a claim which they denied claim and closed it out then dropped me for renewal for filing claim. I would not recommend Safeco/Liberty Mutual to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I was told that anything being hauled behind my truck was covered by the insurance policy on the truck. After damage from a hail storm, I was informed that my utility trailer that was being hauled by my truck isnt covered after all. They lied to me. According to the adjuster I would have to have a separate policy on anything being hauled by my PU truck. Do not do business with this company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SAFECO Auto Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

This is going to be a long story... I’ve had Safeco insurance since 2008. I’ve paid all my payments on time and I thought was good standing. In March 2018 I was robbed of both personal and business property. My business policy did their investigation and replaced all my property in under 2 months. Grain Dealers were awesome. During that time Safeco wouldn’t return my calls and had switched adjusters a few times. I had to give them pictures and statements over and over. With every passing of the paperwork I had to do it. A few weeks went by and I called and called, everyone was either on vacation or at lunch.

Finally I get a call back from another new adjuster and he admitted that he lost my claim and it would be settled in a week or so. That time went by and I made several dozen called over a few weeks and never got a call back. Then out of the blue I get a call from a new adjuster and he wants all the pictures again and a statement. At this point we were at a year after the incident. I gave him all the info yet again. He also said it will be done and settled in under a week. A month goes by and my patience had run out. I contacted my agent and asked him what to do. He made some calls and told me to get lawyers involved because he’s seen them do this before. They wanted me to give up and then not have to pay the claim. So I got a lawyer.

After my lawyer got involved they talked to him a few times and then sent my claim to the fraud department. Coincidence? I wonder. So now we are at 2 years in. Since my lawyers have been involved they have changed adjusters 5 more times. Again wanting all the photos of the property and statements but something new. They want my taxes for the last 5 years. I’m not going to comply with the taxes. None of their business. March will be 3 years of their lies and false promises and little games. I’ve lost so much time, money, all to just get my property replaced or paid back.

Last week they wanted a deposition for which I complied. Basically all the same questions as the 12 other adjusters and whoever else at the company have already heard. I’ve never had a claim other than a car accident when I was 19. I’m 40 now. Never been to jail for any reason. I’m a business owner with a good reputation. A military veteran with a Honorable discharge. Take this story and tell a friend, a co worker, your family. STAY AWAY From SAFECO and LIBERTY MUTUAL. Lies, Deception, theft, and Fraud is all they represent

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

We're a policy holder with Safeco. My wife got in to a Honorable accident when a driver ran a red light. Pamela ** called and without asking how she felt or if she was hurt started to blame my wife and told her to take blame for the accident and was yelling at her! I would never recommend this company to anyone! The same day as a matter of fact the other driver took responsibility! This insurance is not on your side!!! Now my wife is scared to drive and can't sleep at night!!! Thank you Pamela **!!!! I hope you rotten in hell!!!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

After an auto accident where a Safeco driver pulled in front of me and was cited by the police department for failure to yield right of way (several eye witnesses verified this and were listed in the police report), Safeco now refuses to accept liability. Their driver was also cited for for being under the influence and was taken into custody at the crash site, yet Safeco says their driver disputes the police report so they will not accept liability. I find this unbelievable! I have never sought legal measures against others, but this just is not right. I asked them to reconsider, if they refuse I will hire an attorney, but it should never have come to this.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

This company sounds out of country, and pretends to be another company, calling them their partner and sister company. Lies. They are cheating people. Getting you on an agreement you did not agree to, taking in high amounts for very little coverage, then not covering you, not doing their work. They force you to work very hard, you work with many adjusters who specialize in the next step, ignore you once you sign on, do not ever give you direct answers after asking multiple times, nor do their work you ask for multiple times, make you work so hard to get anything done. They mail to wrong addressed. Almost ruined my credit score by delaying papers to wrong addresses, and not paying off my vehicle or me (still haven't, and denying my $25,000 medical. They were very tricky about words, and in the end say I only have $2,000 medical which they called "additional?"

I initially signed up with an adjuster who agreed to give me my first request I make sure of, my $25,000 medical payments. Then they gave me a different adjuster who changed all the stories around, and played word games. I never received my policy and kept calling and calling. Now I am hit in an accident, and they say I have "additional" $2,000 and that is my only medical payments. I had $25,000 medical payments. They put the whole $25,000 in liability, and gave me $2,000 medical payments saying they called it something else, and charged me $98-$108 a month. The auto adjuster pushed me to be in touch with the other company, and I said I want my insurance company too. They pushed, and then the other company said I had to give a recording in order to get my vehicle covered, and he added medical questions I said I was not comfortable answering. This is about my vehicle.

He told me I would not get my car coverage unless I answered them, so I kept it brief. Rude. Illegal. An insurance company cannot force you to go to the responsible party's insurance, and would not advise you that you have to be in touch with them. You were hit by them. No, you do not have to. Your company can do this work. They said it would be quicker, and could get me my car fixed quicker, and get me my deductible which they deducted from my pay out anyway. I still have not seen. The auto adjuster did not talk about my deductible. I asked him to get it for me, and two times he said "if I can." I researched, and it states that if another party has been deemed responsible as this one has, the responsible company cannot deny your deductible. They kept saying things like "they may not agree, they may not want to." Lies.

There was so many delays it caused my car interest to go up by the time it was paid about 2 more months later. I had to track it constantly. I had to go to their adjuster, illegal, then they denied me a second opinion. The initial inspection was low, then my car was totaled. No 2nd opinion was allowed. They later said they would send "their" adjuster over, and then they jumped into the next step not addressing my request for another opinion, pressuring me to go get my papers signed, when they were already signed, or pay storage, go get your things out of your car or pay storage, that my car was deemed totaled. I asked for a copy of the final estimate, they said they don't do that when the car has been totaled, I said I want to see what was wrong with it. I had to push every step of the way on everything to get them to take some action.

I highly suspect they are a spam/scam company out of country. I Asked again. They never gave me a copy of any papers by mail, except my sent the paper to sign my car over to the bank and pay it off to another address I told them I am not several times, delaying the pay off, while I am without a car. Then they don't pay off the car. I had to call Liberty mutual to be treated like a real insurance company, and get some action finally. They almost ruined my credit bureau rating and standing with this bank, it took so long. I never have been late on a single car payment in my life, and it would have ruined my ability to buy a car. I worked daily with them, missing work, losing money. Always delays of waiting days before returned phone calls, more delays, no action taken.

The medical adjuster was a worst nightmare. I did not want to talk to the responsible party's insured, and she said I should. She wanted to tell the responsible party's insurance a lie, that I wasn't interested in a personal injury claim, in order to get them to pay. I said no, I want another adjuster. Spoke to her manager, and they denied another adjuster. Now I am forced to go by email despite my telling them that hurts my hands and I can't always access it. They never answered my questions. Made me wait days for replies. She just said "send the bills to me." I said that is not enough. Wwe need to have a conversation. (Email monologues are not answering my questions.)

One day, I tell them I am to see a doctor. I receive an email that my $2,000 medical payments is exhausted, and my case closed. I told them I am still injured, have had little treatments, and need them to forward my bills, as they represent me better than myself to them. She replies they are not attorneys and do legal representation. I tell her I did not ask for legal representation, but to work with getting established with my bills being forwarded, in so many words (given the other option to go with the other company). They both agreed to forward my medical payments. I hear from my doctor I am to see on something that is serious and needs to be seen for. They call me and state they cannot see me, because my medical adjuster closed my case, and that forwarding is no good if the case is closed.

She said they had to speak with several women, and it was all so very confusing (manipulative as I experienced), and they had never heard of a company closing your case when it is still open due to injuries. New ones not barely addressed. They said it was highly unusual. This is not how insurance companies work, not even Liberty Mutual, who they represented themselves to be. They work with liberty mutual, and never seen anything like it. I researched, and they cannot close a case just based on exhaustion of medical payments, when you are injured and seeking treatment. It stops your treatment. They said they would forward my bills, but a case closed stops treatment. I have had very little treatment, and they said initially they would forward bills when it is exhausted. They do not want to help you get your bills paid by the other party. They just want out.

My other doctors call to get paid, and they are told, to go to the responsible party for payment. They are not taking in bills and forwarding them. These people are nasty, rude, and will cause you incredible trauma, and work. Full time. I am not allowed to talk to anyone in the department over her supervisor who is playing the same game with me.

I asked once for the insurance adjuster's name. Medical adjuster did not even know his last name. I asked for information on them (never mailed to me), she would not email it. Now they are just telling people to go to the responsible party, and that's the end of story. Move on to the next victim. I called Liberty Mutual and finally was not routed to the claims adjuster. The claims phones go directly to your adjuster. You cannot get anyone else, nor go over them to talk to someone in charge of that person in claims. Answers are strange. Out of country. They do not understand. Don't know normal Insurance procedures. No replies to asking constantly to have a conversation, that and get this cleared up. Dumped. I finally get ahold of Liberty Mutual and see what a real insurance company is like again, and we shall see who is over him. But they are not who they pretend to be, Liberty Mutual.

They are a company which pays possibly to use their name in order to get clients, and once they get you, they do nothing for you, and gave me misinformation so often, I felt like I was dealing with another country. They just told me as if I was in Russia what I was to do. Never helped me at all. Watching out for this company. They will get your money, not give you your insurance money you pay for, and not do their work. Definitely an out of country branch. I was hacked once, and they acted just like the hackers. Nasty and authoritative. No rights. Once I asked an adjuster on the main claims his name, and he gave me an African name, and would not give me any last name, operator/agent number or phone number. Was rude. Very definitely a scam. Report this fake company to anyone they pretend to be "partnered with."

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

Got rear ended with somebody who had Safeco ins. My claims specialist was Cindy **. She was terrible, very rude, lied to me and my body shop and her manager was no better. All they did was what was in their best interest and didn’t care about me or the body shop my car was at.

SAFECO Auto Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This is a Liberty Mutual Company that provides a broad range of insurance products for vehicle and property owners. While the company has a national presence, it also employs local agents who provide services in specific states.

• Coverage and plans: Safeco has traditional coverage like liability, personal injury protection, uninsured motorist and rental car reimbursement. Others options include claims valet service and vehicle glass repair and replacement.

• Cost: A 42-year-old married couple on average pays about $3,500 a year for auto insurance through Safeco.

• Discounts: Safeco has discounts for bundling, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft devices, accident prevention courses, safe driving and multivehicle policies.

• Standout feature: The company overall has good rates for older drivers. An 80-year-old female pays about $2,000 a year for Safeco auto insurance.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor