Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
2.70/5

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Safeco Insurance is a Liberty Mutual company that offers several different insurance products, including home, life and auto insurance. Safeco is a verified InsuraMatch partner. For quotes from Safeco Insurance and others, call InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

SAFECO Auto Insurance Gallery (3)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Safeco insurance is a Liberty Mutual company that offers insurance in a discounted package. Customers are happy with Safeco’s low prices and the ability to pay conveniently online.

PROS

• Connected with Liberty Mutual
  • Low price
  • Insures older cars
  • Offer other types of insurance and bundle discounts
  • Roadside assistance available

CONS

• A few customers noted unexperienced rate increases
  • Some customers experienced long wait times on claim responses

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

152 SAFECO Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have had Safeco Auto and HO6 for about 5 years. I used a broker when purchasing it so I was sure to get what I need. Recently I have had a string of bad luck. In November I had to file a loss assessment on my HO6, January 26 I needed roadside assistance and January 29 I had a one vehicle weather related collision with a guard rail. All three times they went above and beyond duty to make sure everything was taken care of. Yesterday was my accident and the car is already in for repairs and I have a rental. That is how quick they were to get me back to normal. I do expect a significant rate increase, but that will happen anywhere. I couldn't ask for better service. BTW the other half of the household works for Progressive and Safeco is still the better insurance.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Safeco is not an extremely popular company, but it was the one that was recommended by our local agent. They have been easy to work with and the few claims we have had to file have been easy and successful.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Overall I am satisfied with my auto insurance. The coverage is good for the price that we pay. We are offered small discounts yearly for being long time customers and safe drivers. If I need to contact them I always get a response in a timely manner. Billing is also simple and I can see and do everything from claims, payments and contact a representative all on a user friendly website. I would recommend this insurance company to others. Another thing I like about this company is my homeowner's insurance is bundled with the auto insurance so it is all in one easy place.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

It is easy to deal with. I did have one problem but the person at the insurance broker helped with that. I was also given something to track my driving and was given a discount on top of my original savings. I am now paying as much as I was for Liability. I am pleased with my choice.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

Service was begun with Heather **. She seemed ok with a claim on medical being covered for chiropractor visits initially. I followed up with her about twice a month and in the beginning the case seemed fine. Her responses were to contact her when it was completed. Along the way, with this being a first time medical claim on a car accident, I was never informed of how the claim is paid for. The chiropractor office charged me, and I was told by friends also they had paid their medical then got reimbursed. So at this point I was charging to a credit card (as I did not have spare money for this, and was on a Christian Healthcare as well, which you learn to pay as a cash customer and negotiate prices).

With that said, the claims added up to over 1700+ interest. Also, the time missed from work was not cared about on paying for over 1 hour. With that said, it was very unreasonable because the chiropractor office was 20 min away from work, and 10 min from home. Most appointments were midday, some were after work. Mileage was not being reimbursed either, and missed time was cut too much. I filed a complaint with the insurance commissioner in Georgia, and the case was forwarded over to Safeco/Liberty as well and Heather's supervisor called me to discuss it again. It sounded like it would be taken care of, but two days later Heather called me back and they had not changed anything. They ARE NOT the insurance that covers things that you miss due to an accident, so be ready. If you get hit by a Safeco/Liberty Mutual customer, they will not reimburse you even to the amount you miss out on from them!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SAFECO Auto Insurance?

Original review: July 20, 2019

We had SAFECO car insurance since last 3 years and now they increased the annual insurance by $500....The only reason that I see was that I had a very minor rear ended bump and they had to pay to the other car owner $350 for repainting the bumper. Just got rid of Safeco and switched to the other insurance company with same coverage that is even $200 cheaper than what I paid to Safeco for the last year. Will never have Safeco in future. It's a rip off.

Original review: June 29, 2019

My 16 year old daughter had a car accident January 16 2019. I reported the accident that same day. I also made a claim for Grace's work wages to be paid until she could go back to work. After the accident she had lots of head pain and neck. The ambulance took her to the hospital. On the way to the hospital she was really feeling the pain so they put her in a collar. She was also feeling very nauseous. When she got to the hospital they took an x-ray of her neck and put her into a collar for two weeks not to be taken off at all even for showers or baths 24 hours a day. Told to go see a neurologist.

So I took her to the Noran Clinic on 3/4/19. The doctor said Grace has suffered a concussion with debilitating headaches, hand weakened, neck pain, daily headaches. She was put on ** 5 tablets a day. The doctor also stated that Grace could not go back to work until she clears her to go back to work. As far as school goes she said Grace could go but with many limitations and will see Grace again in 4-5 weeks.

On 4/15/10 Grace and I had to file a restraining order against her father! The Judge signed it for 2 years for Grace and I. On the order it states that Grace's father is going to file insurance fraud on Grace and me. So the next day I called SAFECO and told them about the order and SAFECO said that he already called and Grace and I are under special investigation and until that is done nothing else will be paid! Grace was not paid her wages and her medical bills were piled up. I continued calling Brian at SAFECO to see if it was done. He keep saying no! So pretty soon I got a letter - Grace needs to go see their neurologist on May 25/19. So I took Grace there on that day! It took a entire month and a half to get his report back. I keep calling SAFECO and keep getting told they have to wait for the report! I continued to take Grace to the Noran Clinic and her chiropractor as her doctor suggested.

On 3/22/19 visit with the Noran Clinic the doctor said to increase the **. On 5/22/19 went and seen her doctor at Noran Clinic stating that Grace has not been able to work due to her concussion from the accident on 1/16/19 now clearing her for work again on June 10/19 . Every time that Grace would go to the neurologist or to her chiropractor I sent in the bills. On 6/27/19 I called SAFECO again and they said the report was in from their doctor! The report stated that Grace did not have concussion and the insurance company doesn’t have to pay any of Grace doctors bill after 2/15/19!! He also stated that he could not get the ambulance report.

The next day I went to the hospital and walked in and got the ambulance report after reading it I know now why he said he could not get it! He also mention that he went on to Grace Facebook and found a picture of Grace holding her horse by the bridle and she said, "Thanks Red for the ride. You are my best friend!" Grace doctor suggested that Grace sit on her horse and walk around with him. It would be good therapy for her! There was no mention of the Noran Clinic in his report. I wonder how the insurance doctor could make that determined about Grace when the insurance doctor from SAFECO when he didn’t even see Grace until 5/25/19!! The bills are piling up and now they are going in my name and Grace is not being paid work wages!

The reason I had insurance is for things like this that happen (like accidents). I’m a single mom on disability. I can’t pay for all these bills and Graces wages! Shame on SAFECO and their insurance doctor for doing this to a kid 16 years old!! I’m going to appeal that letter they got from their doctor. I have all my proof and the ambulance report!! Poor Grace. She has suffered a lot and still is. SAFECO has tricked us! SAFECO should be the one under special investigation not me!

Original review: June 25, 2019

I'd give them a zero star rating if I could. We received a quote for RV insurance April 10, 2019. We received a good rate and were happy to go with Safeco. There were no hidden points/tickets on either of our driver's licenses that they were not aware of. Over 2 months later we get a letter stating that due to new information our premium was going up almost $800 a year. The reason was a 2017 automobile claim on our insurance that paid out $1600 (for damage to a parked car in a parking lot).

The extra premium is retroactive to April 10, 2019, where usually tickets and such would come off your record after 3 years. We expected that in 2020 our premium would go down but Safeco uses the date they got the report, not the date of the incident to start the countdown. So we will be paying the higher rate for the next 3 years. That is the part that angers us most. An additional $800/yr for a $1600 claim seems excessive to us and had we known all of this in advance we would have shopped elsewhere.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Safeco should not be allowed to steal as effortlessly as they do. They do not fight for their own customers. They defend the others involved so they can quickly pay the claim and jack up their rates. The cs/adjuster and supervisors just evade answering you for weeks at a time. We finally consulted a prominent and very experienced accident attorney and he said he had never seen a claim settled that 100% did NOT have their own client's best interest in mind and a complaint to the Arizona Insurance board is now being filed. They clearly acted in bad faith. Run as far away as possible from Safeco and please cancel cancel cancel.

Original review: May 28, 2019

Purchase classic insurance for my classic trans am from SAFECO. I paid the down payment and paid my monthly bill for three months and then they sent letter stating they can't cover my car under classic insurance but they can cover it under regular insurance and the price will change so I cancel them the same day. And now they put it on my credit report saying I owe them but I don't. This company is a RIP off but will soon end up in a class action lawsuit.

SAFECO Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

SAFECO Auto Insurance is a Liberty Mutual Company that provides a broad range of insurance products for vehicle and property owners. While the company has a national presence, it also employs local agents who provide services in specific states.

• Online quotes: SAFECO Auto Insurance's online quote center lets potential policyholders compare products and prices so they can choose options that match their budgets.

• Roadside assistance: Drivers with SAFECO Auto Insurance can get roadside assistance services 24 hours a day, seven days a week to make sure they are not stranded in unsafe circumstances.

• Rental cars: The company helps policyholders explore rental car options while their vehicles are being repaired.

• Claims center: SAFECO Auto Insurance's claims center is available 24 hours a day to take reports and provide information about pending claims.

• Credit-based insurance scores: SAFECO Auto Insurance uses each client's credit-based insurance score to measure how likely it is that the person will file an auto insurance claim.

• Best for: Drivers who want insurance policies that match their budgets and drivers who want to save money.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky