Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes
2.95/5

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Safeco Insurance is a Liberty Mutual company that offers several different insurance products, including home, life and auto insurance. Safeco is a verified InsuraMatch partner. For quotes from Safeco Insurance and others, call InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

Safeco insurance is a Liberty Mutual company that offers insurance in a discounted package. Customers are happy with Safeco’s low prices and the ability to pay conveniently online.

PROS

• Connected with Liberty Mutual
  • Low price
  • Insures older cars
  • Offer other types of insurance and bundle discounts
  • Roadside assistance available

CONS

• A few customers noted unexperienced rate increases
  • Some customers experienced long wait times on claim responses

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

128 SAFECO Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Just filed my complaint with Texas Department of Insurance today. I called them 11/06/2018 to file a vandalism claim. They sent an adjuster out and apparently didn't like the amount of the repair. So they changed my claim rep and said they made an error in handling and they were going to send a forensics specialist to look at my truck. It took nearly a month before he got there. It took another couple of weeks before they denied the claim. They took every means to deny my claim, over a month later, and my truck was not touched in that timeframe.

They denied my claim 12/10/2018 and didn't tell me until the next day, but they already stopped the rental car the day before as well. So Enterprise calls my wife and tells her that it was stopped on the 10th and that it's our responsibility to pay for the rental. They omitted a fuel sample even though pictures that THEY took show contaminated fuel. My wife checked our Safeco acct. website, and they are charging us back for something, I have no idea what, but the bill is $400.00 higher for next month. I have taken the liberty to have my own fuel analysis done, because I know this is going to get dirty. Luckily I have the dealership to back up my claim as well as an attorney on standby to fight it in court. I would highly recommend anybody other than Safeco. Very crooked company, no morals nor ethics. If I could give 0 stars instead of one, I most certainly would.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I was insured by All State. My insurance premium was increased every year by quite a bit. So... I got a quote from SAFECO and it was nearly $100 less a month, so I switched my car and house insurance to them. After the first year my premiums increased over a $100 a year. I just got my renewal papers and my car insurance has increase over $200 a year this time. I have had no claims or tickets. I only have 22,000 miles on my car which is a 2013 Avalon. In other words, I have a great driving record and my car is older and worth less, but my premiums continue to rise yearly after the first year with SAFECO.

Last year I sent the form in asking that they review my premiums to see if an adjustment was needed. I heard nothing. I have sent another form in last month asking for an adjustment again. So far I have heard nothing. It did me NO GOOD to switch insurance companies except for the 1st year. I think this must be a gimmick to get you to switch and then they just raise it up to whatever they want. I realize Louisiana has the highest rates in the country, really! Has anyone else experienced this?

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I've been with Safeco for a long time. Recently they sent a bill that I don’t owe. They said they sent a check 2 years ago. I never received or cash. Now they say I better pay. I have talk to multiple representatives and states it will be fix since they saw I never cash or received. Now a week later it shows up again. I called to go over the account and see if it can be fixed. They keep giving me the runaround and transfer to someone else. I need this resolved. Don’t use this company for which they can come up with a bill you don’t owe. I have been paying my bill on time for years. Now they are trying to charge me for something I never cash or received.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I was rear-ended by A SAFECO insured driver recently and followed their Sr. Claims representatives directions as to whom could do the estimate and they arranged an appointment for me. The estimate I received yesterday was for roughly a $1,000. This morning I get an E-mail from the same representative telling me the check is in the mail for $500. I assumed there was a mistake and I called her (Kristian) to let her know of the discrepancy. She informed me that they would only pay for some of the damage to my compact pickup truck. She said the bumper would be replaced but her insured vehicle could not have also damaged my tailgate, in-turn I would be responsible for this.

When the accident occurred I had just picked up a friend and we loaded her wheelchair into the back of my pickup through the tailgate. After the accident when I went to drop her off the tail gate would not open (because I had just been hit by an SUV), according to the SAFECO rep I must be lying. She repeatedly told me that yes her client rear-ended me but could not have damaged the tailgate, just the rear bumper based on the damage to her clients vehicle. She implied that I was not truthful, in-turn you reading this negative review.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

My husband was rear ended by Safeco insured driver. We went to Safeco garage to get an estimate. They sent an email saying they were paying only half because the damage to the Safeco insured driver was not as much as the estimate for our vehicle. WHAT A Crock of **. They are a crappy company. If you are hit by someone that has Safeco beware!!! Terrible experience... I would give them a zero rating.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SAFECO Auto Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I was hit by a Safeco driver on October 8th. I have heard from Safeco twice. They sent me to get my estimate. I have not heard from them since and neither has my insurance company. The lady who is handling the claim (Amanda) told me that she would get back with me a week after the estimate was done. I haven’t heard anything back. I have left multiple voicemails for her and she does not return calls. I’m just now waiting for her to contact me back to see if they accept liability. The two times I have spoken with her she has been rude and very disrespectful.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Safeco is not an extremely popular company, but it was the one that was recommended by our local agent. They have been easy to work with and the few claims we have had to file have been easy and successful.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

This is the WORST company ever. Their customer hit my car while it was parked and it took almost two months to get fixed because their appraiser was so incompetent. He was off by almost $3000 so they had to go back and forth to get approval for all the things that needed to get fixed. Also, they are liars. This guy even lied on a three-way call with the mechanic. He agreed to one thing and then sent an email confirming the exact opposite. Be extra careful if you have to deal with this guy.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Overall I am satisfied with my auto insurance. The coverage is good for the price that we pay. We are offered small discounts yearly for being long time customers and safe drivers. If I need to contact them I always get a response in a timely manner. Billing is also simple and I can see and do everything from claims, payments and contact a representative all on a user friendly website. I would recommend this insurance company to others. Another thing I like about this company is my homeowner's insurance is bundled with the auto insurance so it is all in one easy place.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I was hit from behind from a Safeco issuer. They never called to see how I was or what was the damage to my car. I did receive a letter from one of their Senior Claim Resolution Rep (Ryan **) stating he needs "me" to call him, which I did... but of course he was in a meeting? And would call me back, well 5 days later no call. Then I emailed him and his response was: "I didn't send you a letter," well I send him a pic of it... then he responded that I need to call their 800 # and have them get in touch with the adjuster handling the claim, then why I receive a letter from him? So, I email the adjuster and cc Ryan **, the adjuster never got back to me but Ryan ** did telling not to include him on the emails... really. You would think as a Sr Claim Resolution Rep you would like to know what's going on... what a tool.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

It is easy to deal with. I did have one problem but the person at the insurance broker helped with that. I was also given something to track my driving and was given a discount on top of my original savings. I am now paying as much as I was for Liability. I am pleased with my choice.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I had my auto and home insurance with Safeco for over 20 years. I'd always been happy with them, even though I could have found less expensive insurance. I chose to stay with them because I was a long time client and thought they were a good company. Last year my auto premium went up $100/year for no reason. I stayed with them. This year--it increased $650.00/YEAR!!! No points on my driving record, same car, etc. It was just a rate increase they had. I am appalled.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

They just settle on bogus claims without even consulting you. Even though you could win if it went to court. They paid a client that sued us 80,000 on a 3 mph bumper accident, knowing this client had numerous accidents before and a incident at his work where a child hit him with a chair, and was on leave. But this 3 mph bump to his fender, that only dented his license plate caused 80,000 worth of injuries and "other" bogus claims. Knowing this is how this client makes his living on suing people with outrageous claims. You dropped the ball on this Safeco...

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

My vehicle was hit by a Safeco insured driver on July 31st this year. Took forever to even hear from the adjuster and once we did, she was not at all polite or good with people. She kept trying to get me to jump through their hoops, asking the same questions each time. Was even extremely rude to the repair shop that she asked to work up the estimate for my vehicle. They were dumbfounded. Miraculously, one day when she reached me by phone, she said a check for the repairs was being sent to me. I couldn’t believe it. Well, it was too good to be true! A week after she sent the check, she informed me that they would be stopping payment on the same check and wanted me to get on a conference call with their insured driver to discuss the accident. BUYER BEWARE! Do NOT use Safeco Insurance! They are the most crooked of all insurance crooks.

Original review: July 23, 2018

On the night of 4/4/2018 my wife was stopped in traffic on the 805 freeway southbound near San Diego CA. Due to freeway repairs, lanes were slowed or stopped; the time was approximately 10 pm. She was rear ended in our 2001 Honda Accord. Highway Patrol made 2 separate reports. Because there were two separate accidents (not related) with three vehicles, one report included three vehicles, and the other report included two. Report ** with three vehicles was the one where our #3 vehicle (2001 Honda Accord) was involved. Highway Patrol declared that Safeco Insurance client car # 1 caused the collision due to speeding. It was a frustrating two and a half months of Safeco Insurance refusing to accept liability. I had to do the legwork and inform them that there were 2 police reports when, eventually, they figured it out.

My complaint is that I was without a vehicle for two and a half months while Safeco tried to find a claims resolution representative that could figure out the two police reports. At one point I received the approval in moving forward with the repair after the company accepted liability for the collision, but changed their mind. They then named another claims resolution representative that started the case from the beginning causing Safeco Insurance to needlessly declare the car as a total loss. Total cost to repair the car was $3,061.81, a figure far less expensive than declaring the car a total loss.

Kelly Blue Book appraised my car condition at $3,200 to $3,500 the day after the accident. Below is a list of upgrades to the car that were not figured correctly in the market valuation report:
• Only $44.00 credit received for a Pioneer AVIC-F900BT CD, GPS touch screen unit that, with installation, cost $764.04.
• Safeco deducted $116.00 for not having the ‘original’ 6 CD changer in the vehicle when the vehicle originally came with a cassette/single CD player.
• Only $107.00 credit received for a four-wheel alignment and new tires that only had 5,000 miles. The alignment and tires cost $705.30.

• NO credit received for the alternator and 3 belts that were replaced 7 days before the accident totaling $562.47.

The payout for the loss should be approximately $4,500.00 before taxes and fees, with a grand total of at least $5,000. Safeco has a total payout for the loss, including ‘upgrades,’ at $3,615 plus $525.17 for license and fees equaling $4,140.17. Due to the erroneous market valuation report of my Honda, I am running at least $1,000 short. With the undervaluing of my car, lack of professionalism, and loss of the car for two and a half months, I would like to know what my options are as I do not find this to be a fair settlement.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I had an auto policy with the company, I canceled the policy before the next billing period and was told there was a stop payment so that my account would not be debited. The payment was still processed. When I called about when the amount would be refunded they told me 5 to 10 days, the amount of $101.04 was debited from my checking account on 6/22, I received a refund of $69.16 on 7/9, that is not the amount they deducted from my account. The policy dates ran from the 22 to the 22 of each month, the policy was canceled on the 21st. When I called the agent, he informed that I would have to contact the main branch accounting. I contact them and they tell me they are there for the agents not for policy owners, but they do speak with me, they continue to tell me that I owed the $31.88 missing from the refund.

If I canceled before the policy date why do I owe for days I didn't use? This is not the first time this has happened and I allowed it to slide the first time but as a single mother who has camp fees to pay I am having to pinch pennies so I can not let it slide this time. I have had a terrible experience with the agent and this company, I also had a difficult time with my homeowners insurance, in which they said the premium was never paid but when I checked with the escrow company they said they had paid it and pulled the cashed check, Safeco still said the premium wasn't paid and canceled my homeowners policy.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I got this insurance because was a referral from Primerica. My vehicle was stolen with lots of stuff. And I call to claim my insurance to cover the lost. But my surprise was that the customer service was one of worthies ever. Name Jocelyn **. She start make me questions, and at the same time. Putting me like if I was doing fake information. Repeating me the same questions. She hang out with me. And like in five minutes called me back saying that won't covered my lost. And she ask me some stupid questions like this. "Do you understand what I'm saying." And sadly I say, "Yes." I didn't want to want to argue. Please if you want to have a bad experience like me. Think about it 1000 times... before you get this insurance company. I don't recommend it to nobody!!

Original review: June 14, 2018

Getting to speak to the same person is hard. Seems no one likes to answer the phone at SAFECO. When A customer calls, and he /she may wait a minute or two for the phone to be answered. Then the customer may pass through three or four representatives before talking to a rep that can't help. Why stay? It's the cost being low that keeps people there.

Resolution response: July 11, 2018

The company didn’t respond promptly to the request initially and gave me run arounds but they covered the windshield damage100% for the original replacement at the official dealer that I chose. What a good surprise!

Original review: June 5, 2018

They just get your money over the years and then even a small incident like windshield breakage happens and they just give you run around and never pay for your windshield stating that I have to use Safelite 3rd party replica on my car. This company just wants your money and won’t benefit you any when you need coverage! It’s same as getting a liability without any coverage! What a way to make money! Be aware!

Original review: May 31, 2018

The price is about half of what the other quotes are. Paying for the policy is easy and convenient. They also have an app to view the policy and pay the bill. Send our reminders when it is time to pay and give you a nice grace period to pay at the same time protecting themselves. Everything is online. You can easily view and print your documents online as needed. Can use paperless option if wanted. Everything is very understanding. When we have questions they are very patient at explaining what we may not understand.

Original review: May 31, 2018

SAFECO Auto Insurance has good service, good prices and helpful agent who came to our house and answered all our questions - very accessible when help is needed - made process easy. I purchased from an agent who came to our house and went over all the details. He explained details of policy, friendly and went above and beyond what was expected. I have been very satisfied with everything. Very customer oriented and very easy to contact and work with.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I had to purchase auto insurance with SAFECO because they were the best price for my homeowners insurance and required auto insurance to receive homeowners insurance. They were very helpful since it was my first policy I purchased on my own. SAFECO has a very friendly staff who responds to their customer's needs very professionally and efficiently. They offer multiple discounts for bundled services, safe driver and loyal customers. Roadside service is exceptional and they keep you up to date with periodic phone calls or text to report status. I can receive policy updates through the mail or email and I'm never on hold for extreme long portions of time.

But I don't like paying an additional $5 each month because I am unable to pay the plan in full or bi monthly each time I have to renew. This is one of my biggest pet peeves with the company. However you can save if you are able to do this so it does provide additional discounts if you can take advantage of it. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the service of SAFECO and I always feel like my needs are met.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Great purchasing experience with SAFECO Auto Insurance. I really like my representative and he does a lot for me. Much less expensive for the same coverage than Farmers Ins. They are also very responsive and easy to work with when filing a claim. I'm completely happy with my insurance.

Original review: May 28, 2018

SAFECO Auto Insurance was amazing. I am a busy mom of 6, with no time to spare on struggling to find and obtain car insurance. I was able to get a quote, start the policy, and make payments all online in a matter of minutes. That made life and the process to upkeep the policy very affordable and easy. I never had to speak to anyone and I had no trouble at all. I recommend this company to anyone looking for reliable and trustworthy insurance.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Purchasing the SAFECO insurance was quick and simple. It was shortly after Hurricane Irma last year and most companies were very far behind. I was set up with them after our current company Esurance was astronomical in Florida and they did a rate search for us. However, I have struggled getting correct insurance cards. My husband and I both drive both of our vehicles but the original cards never only had my name on my car and his name on his. Second set never showed up. We also never received current cards as our policy expired and renewed. But their service was quick and easy. I've had to call a few times but spoke directly with a representative who attempted to address my issues and concerns. I like that there wasn't a ton of automated responses and push button picks. I was able to easily navigate to a real person who attempted to help me and I received a direct number to be able to contact that person with further issues.

Original review: May 26, 2018

My husband and I chose SAFECO Auto Insurance's policy based on its cost and its overall value. It gave us the most for our money. Although we wish it had been even less expensive. My husband did most of the purchasing online and it was a quick and easy process, as I recall.

Original review: May 25, 2018

My experience with Safeco was a nerve wracking one as the price was very high for two on just liability. I was not even able to obtain uninsured motorist insurance either. They are sloppy but adjustable. The only option they had for me was liability at ninety eight dollars a month so I really had no choice. There weren't many kind options but the customer service was okay for the time being at least. It did take an hour in the office just to get the insurance through them but seemed the best fit since the price drops by five dollars every six months. While I do like that my insurance is always there with a five dollar reinstatement fee and without any late pay fees at any time, I would really enjoy a lower price or a safe drivers check or even some type of reward for being accident free. And maybe they can add a full coverage option at a lower price.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have a good policy. SAFECO offers multi-car discounts. We have two fully covered vehicles for a wonderful price. They are all around awesome as well. The people are great and they are available when you need them. Can't beat the prices or their insurance agents, they are well trained and so nice. Purchasing insurance was as easy as my friend calling and adding me to his policy he has been with for years.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I needed to purchase insurance quickly because I had just discovered that my ex-husband had let our insurance lapse, so I wasn't covered. I called several companies for quotes, but my representative with Safeco was the most helpful and I felt she was working to get me the best coverage for the best value. She also provided her cell phone number and made herself available to me in the evenings during a stressful time in which I needed to make a decision quickly. She worked quickly and able to answer any question I had. Plus, SAFECO was a recommended provider on Dave Ramsey's website, so I knew they'd been vetted and I felt I could trust that I was getting the best value. However, in general, I feel that the auto insurance industry is very expensive and I feel a bit taken advantage of.

Original review: May 22, 2018

SAFECO was well priced and attentive to customers needs. Company send to care about what their customers worry about and may have issues with. The company also had an easy sign up and the monthly premium was great. However, slow to pay claims and claims process was lengthy. To file a claim I had to speak to several different reps before there was someone who would help me with my claim. Overall experience was ok although I would probably not use them again.

SAFECO Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

SAFECO Auto Insurance is a Liberty Mutual Company that provides a broad range of insurance products for vehicle and property owners. While the company has a national presence, it also employs local agents who provide services in specific states.

• Online quotes: SAFECO Auto Insurance's online quote center lets potential policyholders compare products and prices so they can choose options that match their budgets.

• Roadside assistance: Drivers with SAFECO Auto Insurance can get roadside assistance services 24 hours a day, seven days a week to make sure they are not stranded in unsafe circumstances.

• Rental cars: The company helps policyholders explore rental car options so they can still drive even when their vehicles are in repair at a mechanic shop.

• Claims center: SAFECO Auto Insurance's claims center is available 24 hours a day to take reports and provide information about pending claims.

• Credit-based insurance scores: SAFECO Auto Insurance uses each client's credit-based insurance score to measure how likely it is that the person will file an auto insurance claim.

• Best for: Drivers who want insurance policies that match their budgets and drivers who want to save money.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky