Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates
2.72/5

SAFECO Auto Insurance

Safeco Insurance is a Liberty Mutual company that offers several different insurance products, including home, life and auto insurance. Safeco is a verified InsuraMatch partner. For quotes from Safeco Insurance and others, call InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

SAFECO Auto Insurance Gallery (3)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Safeco insurance is a Liberty Mutual company that offers insurance in a discounted package. Customers are happy with Safeco’s low prices and the ability to pay conveniently online.

PROS

• Connected with Liberty Mutual
  • Low price
  • Insures older cars
  • Offer other types of insurance and bundle discounts
  • Roadside assistance available

CONS

• A few customers noted unexperienced rate increases
  • Some customers experienced long wait times on claim responses

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

SAFECO Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

The question asking how we rate the customer service is a tough one to answer because we've never had a claim, or reason to contact the company! Thankfully, we haven't had any claims in many years! SAFECO does have great rates and has saved us a lot of money (compared to other carrier's rates).

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have had Safeco Auto and HO6 for about 5 years. I used a broker when purchasing it so I was sure to get what I need. Recently I have had a string of bad luck. In November I had to file a loss assessment on my HO6, January 26 I needed roadside assistance and January 29 I had a one vehicle weather related collision with a guard rail. All three times they went above and beyond duty to make sure everything was taken care of. Yesterday was my accident and the car is already in for repairs and I have a rental. That is how quick they were to get me back to normal. I do expect a significant rate increase, but that will happen anywhere. I couldn't ask for better service. BTW the other half of the household works for Progressive and Safeco is still the better insurance.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Safeco is not an extremely popular company, but it was the one that was recommended by our local agent. They have been easy to work with and the few claims we have had to file have been easy and successful.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Overall I am satisfied with my auto insurance. The coverage is good for the price that we pay. We are offered small discounts yearly for being long time customers and safe drivers. If I need to contact them I always get a response in a timely manner. Billing is also simple and I can see and do everything from claims, payments and contact a representative all on a user friendly website. I would recommend this insurance company to others. Another thing I like about this company is my homeowner's insurance is bundled with the auto insurance so it is all in one easy place.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

It is easy to deal with. I did have one problem but the person at the insurance broker helped with that. I was also given something to track my driving and was given a discount on top of my original savings. I am now paying as much as I was for Liability. I am pleased with my choice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SAFECO Auto Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

When I cancelled my policy, they only refunded 1/2 of the amount they were supposed to. I called to ask why, and was told this is their policy. I was bounced between 3 different people and told the same thing by all of them, they would do nothing about it and kept 1/2 of the money they owed me.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

We have used SAFECO insurance in excess of 10 years without any issues. We use an independent agent to review our insurance needs each year and they canvass several different insurance companies and each year SAFECO has met our needs at the best price.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I have been a customer with Safeco for 14 years. Both homeowners and auto insurance. I purchased a new car 18 months ago. I have autopay now for at least 10 years and when I transferred my insurance to this new auto it showed I missed a payment. I immediately contacted agent and she stated it was resolved. After 18 months, disputed with credit agencies and been in contact with corporate headquarters, who stated that it will be, it has not been and my credit has been compromised because I have a negative on all 3 report agencies. I will now have no choice but to change companies.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

SAFECO is very quick to access the damage and to process payment to repair facilities. I do think they are a little higher than other options but their service is outstanding. I haven't researched costs lately.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

Service was begun with Heather **. She seemed ok with a claim on medical being covered for chiropractor visits initially. I followed up with her about twice a month and in the beginning the case seemed fine. Her responses were to contact her when it was completed. Along the way, with this being a first time medical claim on a car accident, I was never informed of how the claim is paid for. The chiropractor office charged me, and I was told by friends also they had paid their medical then got reimbursed. So at this point I was charging to a credit card (as I did not have spare money for this, and was on a Christian Healthcare as well, which you learn to pay as a cash customer and negotiate prices).

With that said, the claims added up to over 1700+ interest. Also, the time missed from work was not cared about on paying for over 1 hour. With that said, it was very unreasonable because the chiropractor office was 20 min away from work, and 10 min from home. Most appointments were midday, some were after work. Mileage was not being reimbursed either, and missed time was cut too much. I filed a complaint with the insurance commissioner in Georgia, and the case was forwarded over to Safeco/Liberty as well and Heather's supervisor called me to discuss it again. It sounded like it would be taken care of, but two days later Heather called me back and they had not changed anything. They ARE NOT the insurance that covers things that you miss due to an accident, so be ready. If you get hit by a Safeco/Liberty Mutual customer, they will not reimburse you even to the amount you miss out on from them!!

SAFECO Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

SAFECO Auto Insurance is a Liberty Mutual Company that provides a broad range of insurance products for vehicle and property owners. While the company has a national presence, it also employs local agents who provide services in specific states.

• Online quotes: SAFECO Auto Insurance's online quote center lets potential policyholders compare products and prices so they can choose options that match their budgets.

• Roadside assistance: Drivers with SAFECO Auto Insurance can get roadside assistance services 24 hours a day, seven days a week to make sure they are not stranded in unsafe circumstances.

• Rental cars: The company helps policyholders explore rental car options while their vehicles are being repaired.

• Claims center: SAFECO Auto Insurance's claims center is available 24 hours a day to take reports and provide information about pending claims.

• Credit-based insurance scores: SAFECO Auto Insurance uses each client's credit-based insurance score to measure how likely it is that the person will file an auto insurance claim.

• Best for: Drivers who want insurance policies that match their budgets and drivers who want to save money.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky