2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.46/5

Safeco Insurance is a Liberty Mutual company that offers several different insurance products, including home, life and auto coverage. It has a wide variety of auto insurance policy options and customizable plans to suit your needs. Safeco is a Liberty Mutual company.

SAFECO Auto Insurance Gallery (3)

BOTTOM LINE

Safeco is an auto insurance company backed by Liberty Mutual. It offers a wide variety of discounts, coverage options and services for drivers, including new car replacement and pet coverage. You can customize plans to suit your needs.

PROS

• New car replacement
  • Pet coverage
  • Backed by Liberty Mutual

CONS

• Not available nationwide
  • No focus on high-risk drivers

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

SAFECO Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SAFECO Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SAFECO Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Safeco provides comprehensive coverage, and excellent customer service. I needed roadside assistance and was reimbursed for towing. My calls with questions were answered promptly and customer service representatives were knowledgeable.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I had my homeowner's insurance thru Safeco/Liberty Mutual for 3 years, I never made a claim, paid my bill like clockwork. Sold my home on October 14, 2016, cancelled insurance because of selling home, provided a new address for refund of escrow. They have not released my escrow as of 2020. Roughly $1200.00. I've spent numerous hours on the phone with safeco directly. They admit on tape they owe me the money, but unfortunately no check arrives. I've been lied to directly from 2 separate customer service reps, which I do have on tape.

The first lie. Was the Penna Treasury now has my money, so I did legwork and Penna State Treasury does not have my money. Back to safeco. The next customer service person tells me we are going to re-send the refund in form of check. Once again lied too. 5th call to safeco. Next customer service person then tells me that no check has been drafted at current time. This is Dec 1 2020. This company is an absolute disaster and now would never recommend or buy anything off of the company again. This has been a total failure of any good business practice. They now hang up when I call. And only correspond thru email. Do yourself a favor, get quotes elsewhere and stay away from this company. Obviously I have to file a lawsuit to get my reimbursement from this company!!! Stay away!!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

In March 2020, I loaned my roommate my vehicle to visit his daughter, who was distressed about the pending divorce of her parents. After visiting with her, he got in an altercation with a person and my truck was stolen. I informed SAFECO of the incident so that they would drop my truck from the insurance policy. They stated that since the truck had been stolen, they could not discontinue coverage on it. At the time, I thought that I only had liability and didn't expect to get anything from them. I just wanted to drop the truck so that I wasn't paying monthly premiums on a vehicle that I no longer had. What I did not know at the time is that my sister had increased my coverage without my knowledge.

They made me send them police reports and all kinds of affidavits and statements - several times over - and then accused me of being involved in a "drug deal gone bad." I do not do illegal drugs and was asleep in my bed when I got a frantic call from my roommate around 2 a.m. However, ever since I informed them of my loss and desire to stop paying premiums, they have treated me like an actual drug addict who was attempting to fraudulently make a claim against them personally. Finding no evidence of my involvement in the loss of my truck after several months, they paid me $2,923, of which they kept a $2000 deductible. They didn't refund the premiums that they forced me to pay from March until November.

They continue to insist that I had something to do with the loss of my truck - even after paying me off with a check for $923, and have now listed me as uninsurable/high-risk and have cancelled my insurance coverage. I am a 100% disabled veteran existing on a small disability stipend. I have been without a vehicle since it was first stolen, as $923 will not replace my truck or, for that matter, provide me enough cash to purchase any other reliable vehicle. I am in limbo and in SAFECO Hell, whom still blames me and is keeping their investigation open until December 30, 2020. These people love taking your premiums, but will fight you tooth and nail not to honor any claims you might have to file. Avoid them and their parent company, Liberty Mutual, like the plague. Yeah. They're that bad.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

They are absolutely a terrible business to deal with. They’re owned by Liberty Mutual so I would avoid them too!! I was rear ended and they wanted to handle my claim for me to “help” instead of me dealing with the at fault driver's insurance. I thought that was nice of them but they’re running a game borderlining a scam! Shorting me $2000 on my total loss To begin with. I’m a manager of a dealership so I provided them with a dozen “comps” (comparisons) and book outs to prove they are off on my value, more than enough proof and they continue to be difficult. I sent them the receipt for my car seat 15 days ago and still no reply back, just avoid them like the plague!! They’re owned by liberty mutual so I would avoid them too!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I spoke with Bethany at Safeco after my accident. She was unsympathetic and came across like I was bothering her. I’ve never been in an accident and didn’t know the process. She was unhelpful in giving me any info or direction. She kept saying there’s nothing she can do because my policy doesn’t cover that. I’ll ask her another question and then she would just keep saying that. She did not even ask if I was ok. That should be the first question a claims support person should ask. Terrible experience and definitely DO NOT recommend this company.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I’ve been a Safeco customer for auto insurance for 1 year through Gabi.Com, upon renewal of my insurance I attempted several times to get ahold of a representative. It took me approximately THREE WHOLE DAYS!!!! TO GET INTO CONTACT WITH SOMEONE FROM GABI INSURANCE. While awaiting I kepted receiving no response. Meanwhile I ended up with a lapse in my insurance for 5 days trying to renew. I did save a Ton of money on my auto insurance, but the customer service is BEYOND TERRIBLE, A REP From GABI Insurance STATED I WOULD HAVE TO CALL SAFECO DIRECTLY BUT WHEN I TRIED THEY KEPTED SENDING ME TO GABI INSURANCE.

I ended up switching my auto insurance to another company which means I ended up paying more while eventually receiving a letter from the DMV STATING MY REGISTRATION IS SUSPENDED FOR FIVE DAYS DUE TO A LAPSE. When I tell you I’ll rather pay more money for insurance than to deal with this company I mean it!!!! I WISH I CAN GIVE - 0 stars. Luckily I wasn’t in an accident or had to file a claim because I would of been doomed trying to reach someone. Terrrrrible. They should be ashamed of themselves!!! I personally took the time out to make an Account to write a negative review!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

NEGATIVE 10 STARS!!! This is the most CROOKED and SCANDALOUS company I have ever had the displeasure of working with. We are actually current customers (until the second I get a new quote from ANY OTHER INSURANCE COMPANY) and were hit by a driver that has this awful insurance. My wife was discriminated against for being a woman and given the run around for 3 months. She did everything they requested and after each follow up was met with disrespect and shallow responses.

They quoted our car's value at 35k pre accident and are suggesting its diminished value is now 31k. After a couple of appraisals, the best offer we got was 20k. After repeatedly asking them who they got a number 11k more than ours was we were told it was their "Best Educated Guess" based on all the experience they have in this industry. They also followed this statement by saying that almost all diminished value situations fall within 1k and 3k???? Do you think you are talking to a complete idiot? I am absolutely furious and will NEVER be a Safeco / Liberty Mutual customer again and will post in every corner of the internet to safe anyone else from this SCAM of a company. My advice is to run away and pray that you never get hit by someone with this ridiculous excuse for an insurance company representing them...You will be sorry and screwed, trust me!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Seems like a nice company with great provisions. They are part of Liberty Mutual, which advertises you only pay for what you need, except in my case with a car in storage only coverage, they add emergency road service premium. Strange, the car is parked and may not be driven for months. Why do they charge for road service, so much for that slogan?

Original review: May 13, 2020

I was hit and the customer has Safeco insurance, They were nice and pleasant but they offered me 2800 for damage. So I took the car to get it estimated from two different body shops, One estimate came in at 4300 the other was almost 4600. Both auto-shops said there will be hidden damage once they get into the repair. The ins adjuster Kandy was untruthful to me in the initial phone call by stating they don't have to pay for diminished value. I knew at that period of time what I was dealing with. So I submitted the estimates from the body shops into the safeco rep, and they came back with 3800. What? 500 under the lowest estimate I got. Plus on the sheet they sent me for the estimate they figuring taxes at 5%. I am sorry but my taxes are 8.3%. Keep in mind this is before a rental car and finding the hidden damage that all vehicle seem to have.

So the way they want it is I pay for someone else to hit my car. No thanks. Stay away from Safeco and Liberty Mutual. They are the same company and they Don't care! I asked for a supervisor to call me back but as of this time no one has called me. I will file through my ins company, and let them go after the party for no payment. But I want to warn everyone that there is a reason why the rating of safeco is so low.

Original review: April 28, 2020

It took Safeco a month to simply accept liability. I was rearended at a dead stop at a stop light. It was very simple. Then they took another 2 weeks to approve an appraisal. I had severe whiplash and splitting headaches. I was treated so horribly by them it created even more stress heart related issues. Then I was charged $500 for the rental I had from soon after the accident until the whole mess was over. I was charged for their insured hitting me at a stop light. They are refusing to reimburse my out of pocket medical expenses too. All my whiplash physical therapy appointments were postponed due to the coronavirus lockdown so they figured they would get away with more because of that. I am now getting a lawyer. I suggest anytime you are dealing with safeco you just start with a lawyer.

SAFECO Auto Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This is a Liberty Mutual Company that provides a broad range of insurance products for vehicle and property owners. While the company has a national presence, it also employs local agents who provide services in specific states.

• Coverage and plans: Safeco has traditional coverage like liability, personal injury protection, uninsured motorist and rental car reimbursement. Others options include claims valet service and vehicle glass repair and replacement.

• Cost: A 42-year-old married couple on average pays about $3,500 a year for auto insurance through Safeco.

• Discounts: Safeco has discounts for bundling, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft devices, accident prevention courses, safe driving and multivehicle policies.

• Standout feature: The company overall has good rates for older drivers. An 80-year-old female pays about $2,000 a year for Safeco auto insurance.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor