SAFECO Auto Insurance

SAFECO Auto Insurance Reviews

About SAFECO Auto Insurance

Safeco Insurance is a Liberty Mutual company that offers several different insurance products, including home, life and auto coverage. It has a wide variety of auto insurance policy options and customizable plans to suit your needs.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • New car replacement
  • Pet coverage
  • Backed by Liberty Mutual
Cons
  • Not available nationwide
  • No focus on high-risk drivers

Featured Reviews

Verified
Bradford, PA

The price is about half of what the other quotes are. Paying for the policy is easy and convenient. They also have an app to view the policy and pay the bill... When we have quest...

Verified
Prescott Valley, AZ

I purchased the policy online and it was an Easy process. I was able to compare rates and coverage on the website. The Price was very good, compared to other insurance companies a...

What is Safeco auto insurance?

Safeco Insurance offers auto policies for a variety of vehicles. It has customizable coverage plans and a wide array of services, and all its policies cover up to $10,000 in reimbursement for others’ first aid following an accident. After a number of years of accident-free driving, your policy will qualify for accident forgiveness.

Safeco provides comprehensive, collision and roadside assistance coverage, as well as rental car reimbursement, which grants access to its claims valet service. It also offers Personal Injury Protection (PIP), medical payments (Med Pay), bodily injury liability, property damage liability and uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance options.

Additional coverage options include emergency assistance, which provides roadside assistance, coverage up to $100 for expenses and up to $500 for meals, lodging and transportation if you’re in an accident more than 25 miles from home. It also covers personal belongings damaged by an accident or taken in a stolen vehicle. Its other add-on options include:

• Loan and lease coverage
  • Electronic key and lock replacement
  • CD and DVD replacement
  • Pet coverage
  • New car replacement
  • Personal property coverage
  • Audiovisual and custom equipment coverage

How does Safeco auto insurance work?

Safeco is backed by Liberty Mutual, the third largest property and casualty insurer in the U.S. It partners with local independent agents to help with policies and claims. You can customize your policy based on your auto needs, but Safeco’s standard car insurance policy provides essential liability protection and other coverages required by law, as well as coverage in the event of an accident while someone else is driving.

Safeco also has add-on coverage options with extra protection for damages, emergencies, repairs and personal property. You can manage your policy online and report and track a claim 24/7.

Safeco auto insurance quotes and costs

Safeco doesn’t disclose its car insurance costs online, but you can apply for a quote on its website. The company offers a variety of discounts; for drivers who’ve never made a claim, Safeco reduces the collision deductible by $100 with each annual policy renewal, up to $500 or five years. It also provides discounts for completing a driving course, multicar policies and more.

Safeco auto insurance FAQ

Does Safeco auto insurance have a low mileage discount?
Safeco offers a discount of up to 20% for vehicles with low annual mileage.
Where is Safeco auto insurance available?
Safeco is in several states, but it’s not available nationwide. In order to check availability, contact a local agent.
Who owns Safeco?
Hawthorne K. Dent is the founder and executive of Safeco Insurance.
Is Safeco a part of Liberty Mutual?
Yes. In September 2008, Safeco became part of Liberty Mutual, the third largest property and casualty insurer in the United States.

Is Safeco a good car insurance company?

Safeco is a solid car insurance provider. Backed by Liberty Mutual, it offers a comprehensive range of services. Its plans are customizable, and it has several discount options. It provides PIP and Med Pay, as well as comprehensive and collision coverage. Its add-ons include paid travel expenses, electronic key and lock replacement, new car replacement, personal property coverage, audiovisual and custom equipment coverage and pet coverage.

SAFECO Auto Insurance Reviews

Stars Rating

• 22%
  • 45%
  • 18%
  • 5%
  • 10%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SAFECO Auto Insurance?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SAFECO Auto Insurance?
    CoverageSales & Marketing

Reviewed May 16, 2024

Having insurance with them is like throwing money in water. They just collect premium, do not pay for any repair. They will find something to not do anything. You do not have option to request review, it is just yes or no. No right to appeal. This is scam.

Customer Service

Reviewed April 19, 2024

After getting a nail in my tire, I used the SafeCo app to ask for roadside assistance. The app used gps to locate the car and decided my car was nowhere near the actual location. I called to have the location updated which they seemed incapable of doing. I made sure that they knew that my car, as an AWD, needed a flatbed. Finally the tow truck driver called after two hours and I gave him the right address. The tow truck guy shows up with a small truck with a tow bar. I am now waiting an additional two hours to see if maybe a flatbed will arrive.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Claims Handling

Reviewed March 20, 2024

In two years my car insurance has gone up 150% with zero claims, zero tickets, and the same cars. In the same two years my home insurance went up 200% with zero claims or changes. They also sent me a letter one year giving me just a two week notice that they would not renew my home insurance because I did not have rails on a set of steps and because my gutters were clogged with leaves. My gutters were not clogged because I have a screen guard on them so the inspector was not much of an inspector. I had the rails fixed in two days and had to send photos of my gutter guards and it was resolved. Please do not use this company.

Customer Service

Reviewed Dec. 9, 2023

An insurer of Safeco/Liberty Mutual lost control of his car on the freeway and struck mine. All communication with Safeco was canned, "we are unable to contact our insurer and thus unable to determine fault". After five weeks of this communication, Safeco recommended I go through my insurance to repair my car. I had my car returned after two months with my insurance billing Safeco. (Subrogation).

Car rental and other expenses were addressed by Safeco only after two complaints to the State Insurance Commissioner. Safeco admitted 100% liability but only offered a partial settlement for my additional expenses. It is now 10 months later and all is finally resolved because of the help and support of my Insurance Company (Hartford) and Enterprise Car Rental Services. My experience with Safeco has been very difficult and frustrating because of the ignoring and inconveniences I have experienced due to the lack of Safeco's support with this accident.

Reviewed Nov. 21, 2023

I bought new car and spent hours on phone to get policy changed to new car and after car dealer and I spent hours on phone they finally got us to be able to get plates. Over a week later I found they canceled my ins. I had the new plates but no ins. After days talking to people that had no idea how to fix it so I contacted president's office at Liberty Mutual who finally got it fixed and got my ins back but now I find out they better than doubled the premium. I am now going to another company. Just an fyi how Safeco operates.

Coverage

Reviewed Nov. 9, 2023

If you have this insurance and have a accident that's your fault, you're gonna end up getting sued because this insurance doesn't pay for anything like they're suppose to especially when it's their client's fault.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed Oct. 30, 2023

I have been a customer of Safeco/Liberty Mutual for many many years. I am appalled at the treatment I am receiving from them, they are trying to screw me over. Already dealing with being in an accident, and then your car being a total loss is hard enough. But for them to then try and screw me over with giving me way less than they should is sickening. When I pay for very good insurance, I'm not on the cheapest policy. They aren't not even giving me enough to repurchase the same vehicle. This is not because I'm top heavy on my loan either. Their automated system hangs up on you. It is impossible to get ahold of somebody or to get somebody to call you back.

I request to speak with the manager multiple times with no call back. They take forever to respond. I'm talking about thousands of dollars too. I even set in comps to prove the vehicles, price and value. And they didn't accept or put in any of mine but one. They made up excuses why they couldn't use them. I am canceling my insurance with them as soon as this is all wrapped up.

Claims HandlingCoverage

Reviewed Aug. 7, 2023

This is the worst company that I have ever had insurance with. My truck got hit parked on the road in the city and I took it to one of their company recommended shops and Safeco told me it was a fraud claim and they dropped me. I would never recommend to anyone ever.

CoverageSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed Feb. 26, 2023

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH Safeco/Liberty Mutual. Won't pay out for anything whether it's your fault or not. It's been 4 years ago now that a Safeco driver crashed into my wife's car and causing her to be 60% disabled for the rest of her life. Her medical bills are over $200k from the wreck. We hired an attorney to sue but still no avail after all this time. The car was totaled and to date, my insurance company still hasn't been able to get them to pay out for our car. They are a complete scam. Even if you have them for insurance and you are at fault, they'll drop you and you will get personally sued.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 28, 2023

A Safeco representative helped me to make changes to my policy on the day before my automatic payment processed. He asked for a credit card payment which would ensure the policy change. I provided this new lower payment through my bank card. The next day the original, much higher, payment processed as it was on automatic withdrawal. I called to clarify this situation and get a refund of the extra payment.

From this moment on, Safeco has sent me on a wild chase trying to recover the 395$ payment they took on top of the newer policy of 187$ payment they also took. Each time I call, I get a representative that tells me to do something (ie -wait 5 days, ask for a letter from the bank, provide a transaction history to prove my bank didn’t stop payment, email them new bank records, etc, on and on). This went on for 2 weeks. Meanwhile I’m down almost 600$ from my checking account. They refuse to refund my payment or prorate the original automatic deduction. Safeco has proved to have representatives who are not knowledgeable. They have put my family in financial stress. I strongly recommend a different insurance company.

SAFECO Auto Insurance Company Information