2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.98/5

Safeco Insurance is a Liberty Mutual company that offers several different insurance products, including home, life and auto insurance.

SAFECO Auto Insurance Gallery (3)

BOTTOM LINE

Safeco insurance is a Liberty Mutual company that offers insurance in a discounted package. Customers are happy with Safeco’s low prices and the ability to pay conveniently online.

PROS

• Connected with Liberty Mutual
  • Low price
  • Insures older cars
  • Offer other types of insurance and bundle discounts
  • Roadside assistance available

CONS

• A few customers noted unexperienced rate increases
  • Some customers experienced long wait times on claim responses

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

SAFECO Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SAFECO Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SAFECO Auto Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I’ve been a Safeco customer for auto insurance for 1 year through Gabi.Com, upon renewal of my insurance I attempted several times to get ahold of a representative. It took me approximately THREE WHOLE DAYS!!!! TO GET INTO CONTACT WITH SOMEONE FROM GABI INSURANCE. While awaiting I kepted receiving no response. Meanwhile I ended up with a lapse in my insurance for 5 days trying to renew. I did save a Ton of money on my auto insurance, but the customer service is BEYOND TERRIBLE, A REP From GABI Insurance STATED I WOULD HAVE TO CALL SAFECO DIRECTLY BUT WHEN I TRIED THEY KEPTED SENDING ME TO GABI INSURANCE.

I ended up switching my auto insurance to another company which means I ended up paying more while eventually receiving a letter from the DMV STATING MY REGISTRATION IS SUSPENDED FOR FIVE DAYS DUE TO A LAPSE. When I tell you I’ll rather pay more money for insurance than to deal with this company I mean it!!!! I WISH I CAN GIVE - 0 stars. Luckily I wasn’t in an accident or had to file a claim because I would of been doomed trying to reach someone. Terrrrrible. They should be ashamed of themselves!!! I personally took the time out to make an Account to write a negative review!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

NEGATIVE 10 STARS!!! This is the most CROOKED and SCANDALOUS company I have ever had the displeasure of working with. We are actually current customers (until the second I get a new quote from ANY OTHER INSURANCE COMPANY) and were hit by a driver that has this awful insurance. My wife was discriminated against for being a woman and given the run around for 3 months. She did everything they requested and after each follow up was met with disrespect and shallow responses.

They quoted our car's value at 35k pre accident and are suggesting its diminished value is now 31k. After a couple of appraisals, the best offer we got was 20k. After repeatedly asking them who they got a number 11k more than ours was we were told it was their "Best Educated Guess" based on all the experience they have in this industry. They also followed this statement by saying that almost all diminished value situations fall within 1k and 3k???? Do you think you are talking to a complete idiot? I am absolutely furious and will NEVER be a Safeco / Liberty Mutual customer again and will post in every corner of the internet to safe anyone else from this SCAM of a company. My advice is to run away and pray that you never get hit by someone with this ridiculous excuse for an insurance company representing them...You will be sorry and screwed, trust me!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Seems like a nice company with great provisions. They are part of Liberty Mutual, which advertises you only pay for what you need, except in my case with a car in storage only coverage, they add emergency road service premium. Strange, the car is parked and may not be driven for months. Why do they charge for road service, so much for that slogan?

Original review: May 13, 2020

I was hit and the customer has Safeco insurance, They were nice and pleasant but they offered me 2800 for damage. So I took the car to get it estimated from two different body shops, One estimate came in at 4300 the other was almost 4600. Both auto-shops said there will be hidden damage once they get into the repair. The ins adjuster Kandy was untruthful to me in the initial phone call by stating they don't have to pay for diminished value. I knew at that period of time what I was dealing with. So I submitted the estimates from the body shops into the safeco rep, and they came back with 3800. What? 500 under the lowest estimate I got. Plus on the sheet they sent me for the estimate they figuring taxes at 5%. I am sorry but my taxes are 8.3%. Keep in mind this is before a rental car and finding the hidden damage that all vehicle seem to have.

So the way they want it is I pay for someone else to hit my car. No thanks. Stay away from Safeco and Liberty Mutual. They are the same company and they Don't care! I asked for a supervisor to call me back but as of this time no one has called me. I will file through my ins company, and let them go after the party for no payment. But I want to warn everyone that there is a reason why the rating of safeco is so low.

Original review: April 28, 2020

It took Safeco a month to simply accept liability. I was rearended at a dead stop at a stop light. It was very simple. Then they took another 2 weeks to approve an appraisal. I had severe whiplash and splitting headaches. I was treated so horribly by them it created even more stress heart related issues. Then I was charged $500 for the rental I had from soon after the accident until the whole mess was over. I was charged for their insured hitting me at a stop light. They are refusing to reimburse my out of pocket medical expenses too. All my whiplash physical therapy appointments were postponed due to the coronavirus lockdown so they figured they would get away with more because of that. I am now getting a lawyer. I suggest anytime you are dealing with safeco you just start with a lawyer.

Original review: April 14, 2020

Safeco's adjustors are lazy. They allowed a fraudulent claim against me, raised my rates, and will not answer emails sent to them about the issue. The main adjustor moved into another job within Liberty Mutual and disowned all responsibility for her actions.

Original review: March 4, 2020

Safeco/Liberty Mutual is the worst insurance company I have dealt with. I won’t even give them a one star. I would give them a 0 star. I had them for six years. Filed a claim which they denied claim and closed it out then dropped me for renewal for filing claim. I would not recommend Safeco/Liberty Mutual to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I was told that anything being hauled behind my truck was covered by the insurance policy on the truck. After damage from a hail storm, I was informed that my utility trailer that was being hauled by my truck isnt covered after all. They lied to me. According to the adjuster I would have to have a separate policy on anything being hauled by my PU truck. Do not do business with this company!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

This is going to be a long story... I’ve had Safeco insurance since 2008. I’ve paid all my payments on time and I thought was good standing. In March 2018 I was robbed of both personal and business property. My business policy did their investigation and replaced all my property in under 2 months. Grain Dealers were awesome. During that time Safeco wouldn’t return my calls and had switched adjusters a few times. I had to give them pictures and statements over and over. With every passing of the paperwork I had to do it. A few weeks went by and I called and called, everyone was either on vacation or at lunch.

Finally I get a call back from another new adjuster and he admitted that he lost my claim and it would be settled in a week or so. That time went by and I made several dozen called over a few weeks and never got a call back. Then out of the blue I get a call from a new adjuster and he wants all the pictures again and a statement. At this point we were at a year after the incident. I gave him all the info yet again. He also said it will be done and settled in under a week. A month goes by and my patience had run out. I contacted my agent and asked him what to do. He made some calls and told me to get lawyers involved because he’s seen them do this before. They wanted me to give up and then not have to pay the claim. So I got a lawyer.

After my lawyer got involved they talked to him a few times and then sent my claim to the fraud department. Coincidence? I wonder. So now we are at 2 years in. Since my lawyers have been involved they have changed adjusters 5 more times. Again wanting all the photos of the property and statements but something new. They want my taxes for the last 5 years. I’m not going to comply with the taxes. None of their business. March will be 3 years of their lies and false promises and little games. I’ve lost so much time, money, all to just get my property replaced or paid back.

Last week they wanted a deposition for which I complied. Basically all the same questions as the 12 other adjusters and whoever else at the company have already heard. I’ve never had a claim other than a car accident when I was 19. I’m 40 now. Never been to jail for any reason. I’m a business owner with a good reputation. A military veteran with a Honorable discharge. Take this story and tell a friend, a co worker, your family. STAY AWAY From SAFECO and LIBERTY MUTUAL. Lies, Deception, theft, and Fraud is all they represent

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

We're a policy holder with Safeco. My wife got in to a Honorable accident when a driver ran a red light. Pamela ** called and without asking how she felt or if she was hurt started to blame my wife and told her to take blame for the accident and was yelling at her! I would never recommend this company to anyone! The same day as a matter of fact the other driver took responsibility! This insurance is not on your side!!! Now my wife is scared to drive and can't sleep at night!!! Thank you Pamela **!!!! I hope you rotten in hell!!!!

SAFECO Auto Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This is a Liberty Mutual Company that provides a broad range of insurance products for vehicle and property owners. While the company has a national presence, it also employs local agents who provide services in specific states.

• Coverage and plans: Safeco has traditional coverage like liability, personal injury protection, uninsured motorist and rental car reimbursement. Others options include claims valet service and vehicle glass repair and replacement.

• Cost: A 42-year-old married couple on average pays about $3,500 a year for auto insurance through Safeco.

• Discounts: Safeco has discounts for bundling, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft devices, accident prevention courses, safe driving and multivehicle policies.

• Standout feature: The company overall has good rates for older drivers. An 80-year-old female pays about $2,000 a year for Safeco auto insurance.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor