Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates
2.67/5

SAFECO Auto Insurance

Safeco Insurance is a Liberty Mutual company that offers several different insurance products, including home, life and auto insurance. Safeco is a verified InsuraMatch partner. For quotes from Safeco Insurance and others, call InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

SAFECO Auto Insurance Gallery (3)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Safeco insurance is a Liberty Mutual company that offers insurance in a discounted package. Customers are happy with Safeco’s low prices and the ability to pay conveniently online.

PROS

• Connected with Liberty Mutual
  • Low price
  • Insures older cars
  • Offer other types of insurance and bundle discounts
  • Roadside assistance available

CONS

• A few customers noted unexperienced rate increases
  • Some customers experienced long wait times on claim responses

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

SAFECO Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

The question asking how we rate the customer service is a tough one to answer because we've never had a claim, or reason to contact the company! Thankfully, we haven't had any claims in many years! SAFECO does have great rates and has saved us a lot of money (compared to other carrier's rates).

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

SAFECO is very quick to access the damage and to process payment to repair facilities. I do think they are a little higher than other options but their service is outstanding. I haven't researched costs lately.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have had Safeco Auto and HO6 for about 5 years. I used a broker when purchasing it so I was sure to get what I need. Recently I have had a string of bad luck. In November I had to file a loss assessment on my HO6, January 26 I needed roadside assistance and January 29 I had a one vehicle weather related collision with a guard rail. All three times they went above and beyond duty to make sure everything was taken care of. Yesterday was my accident and the car is already in for repairs and I have a rental. That is how quick they were to get me back to normal. I do expect a significant rate increase, but that will happen anywhere. I couldn't ask for better service. BTW the other half of the household works for Progressive and Safeco is still the better insurance.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

After an auto accident where a Safeco driver pulled in front of me and was cited by the police department for failure to yield right of way (several eye witnesses verified this and were listed in the police report), Safeco now refuses to accept liability. Their driver was also cited for for being under the influence and was taken into custody at the crash site, yet Safeco says their driver disputes the police report so they will not accept liability. I find this unbelievable! I have never sought legal measures against others, but this just is not right. I asked them to reconsider, if they refuse I will hire an attorney, but it should never have come to this.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

This company sounds out of country, and pretends to be another company, calling them their partner and sister company. Lies. They are cheating people. Getting you on an agreement you did not agree to, taking in high amounts for very little coverage, then not covering you, not doing their work. They force you to work very hard, you work with many adjusters who specialize in the next step, ignore you once you sign on, do not ever give you direct answers after asking multiple times, nor do their work you ask for multiple times, make you work so hard to get anything done. They mail to wrong addressed. Almost ruined my credit score by delaying papers to wrong addresses, and not paying off my vehicle or me (still haven't, and denying my $25,000 medical. They were very tricky about words, and in the end say I only have $2,000 medical which they called "additional?"

I initially signed up with an adjuster who agreed to give me my first request I make sure of, my $25,000 medical payments. Then they gave me a different adjuster who changed all the stories around, and played word games. I never received my policy and kept calling and calling. Now I am hit in an accident, and they say I have "additional" $2,000 and that is my only medical payments. I had $25,000 medical payments. They put the whole $25,000 in liability, and gave me $2,000 medical payments saying they called it something else, and charged me $98-$108 a month. The auto adjuster pushed me to be in touch with the other company, and I said I want my insurance company too. They pushed, and then the other company said I had to give a recording in order to get my vehicle covered, and he added medical questions I said I was not comfortable answering. This is about my vehicle.

He told me I would not get my car coverage unless I answered them, so I kept it brief. Rude. Illegal. An insurance company cannot force you to go to the responsible party's insurance, and would not advise you that you have to be in touch with them. You were hit by them. No, you do not have to. Your company can do this work. They said it would be quicker, and could get me my car fixed quicker, and get me my deductible which they deducted from my pay out anyway. I still have not seen. The auto adjuster did not talk about my deductible. I asked him to get it for me, and two times he said "if I can." I researched, and it states that if another party has been deemed responsible as this one has, the responsible company cannot deny your deductible. They kept saying things like "they may not agree, they may not want to." Lies.

There was so many delays it caused my car interest to go up by the time it was paid about 2 more months later. I had to track it constantly. I had to go to their adjuster, illegal, then they denied me a second opinion. The initial inspection was low, then my car was totaled. No 2nd opinion was allowed. They later said they would send "their" adjuster over, and then they jumped into the next step not addressing my request for another opinion, pressuring me to go get my papers signed, when they were already signed, or pay storage, go get your things out of your car or pay storage, that my car was deemed totaled. I asked for a copy of the final estimate, they said they don't do that when the car has been totaled, I said I want to see what was wrong with it. I had to push every step of the way on everything to get them to take some action.

I highly suspect they are a spam/scam company out of country. I Asked again. They never gave me a copy of any papers by mail, except my sent the paper to sign my car over to the bank and pay it off to another address I told them I am not several times, delaying the pay off, while I am without a car. Then they don't pay off the car. I had to call Liberty mutual to be treated like a real insurance company, and get some action finally. They almost ruined my credit bureau rating and standing with this bank, it took so long. I never have been late on a single car payment in my life, and it would have ruined my ability to buy a car. I worked daily with them, missing work, losing money. Always delays of waiting days before returned phone calls, more delays, no action taken.

The medical adjuster was a worst nightmare. I did not want to talk to the responsible party's insured, and she said I should. She wanted to tell the responsible party's insurance a lie, that I wasn't interested in a personal injury claim, in order to get them to pay. I said no, I want another adjuster. Spoke to her manager, and they denied another adjuster. Now I am forced to go by email despite my telling them that hurts my hands and I can't always access it. They never answered my questions. Made me wait days for replies. She just said "send the bills to me." I said that is not enough. Wwe need to have a conversation. (Email monologues are not answering my questions.)

One day, I tell them I am to see a doctor. I receive an email that my $2,000 medical payments is exhausted, and my case closed. I told them I am still injured, have had little treatments, and need them to forward my bills, as they represent me better than myself to them. She replies they are not attorneys and do legal representation. I tell her I did not ask for legal representation, but to work with getting established with my bills being forwarded, in so many words (given the other option to go with the other company). They both agreed to forward my medical payments. I hear from my doctor I am to see on something that is serious and needs to be seen for. They call me and state they cannot see me, because my medical adjuster closed my case, and that forwarding is no good if the case is closed.

She said they had to speak with several women, and it was all so very confusing (manipulative as I experienced), and they had never heard of a company closing your case when it is still open due to injuries. New ones not barely addressed. They said it was highly unusual. This is not how insurance companies work, not even Liberty Mutual, who they represented themselves to be. They work with liberty mutual, and never seen anything like it. I researched, and they cannot close a case just based on exhaustion of medical payments, when you are injured and seeking treatment. It stops your treatment. They said they would forward my bills, but a case closed stops treatment. I have had very little treatment, and they said initially they would forward bills when it is exhausted. They do not want to help you get your bills paid by the other party. They just want out.

My other doctors call to get paid, and they are told, to go to the responsible party for payment. They are not taking in bills and forwarding them. These people are nasty, rude, and will cause you incredible trauma, and work. Full time. I am not allowed to talk to anyone in the department over her supervisor who is playing the same game with me.

I asked once for the insurance adjuster's name. Medical adjuster did not even know his last name. I asked for information on them (never mailed to me), she would not email it. Now they are just telling people to go to the responsible party, and that's the end of story. Move on to the next victim. I called Liberty Mutual and finally was not routed to the claims adjuster. The claims phones go directly to your adjuster. You cannot get anyone else, nor go over them to talk to someone in charge of that person in claims. Answers are strange. Out of country. They do not understand. Don't know normal Insurance procedures. No replies to asking constantly to have a conversation, that and get this cleared up. Dumped. I finally get ahold of Liberty Mutual and see what a real insurance company is like again, and we shall see who is over him. But they are not who they pretend to be, Liberty Mutual.

They are a company which pays possibly to use their name in order to get clients, and once they get you, they do nothing for you, and gave me misinformation so often, I felt like I was dealing with another country. They just told me as if I was in Russia what I was to do. Never helped me at all. Watching out for this company. They will get your money, not give you your insurance money you pay for, and not do their work. Definitely an out of country branch. I was hacked once, and they acted just like the hackers. Nasty and authoritative. No rights. Once I asked an adjuster on the main claims his name, and he gave me an African name, and would not give me any last name, operator/agent number or phone number. Was rude. Very definitely a scam. Report this fake company to anyone they pretend to be "partnered with."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SAFECO Auto Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

Got rear ended with somebody who had Safeco ins. My claims specialist was Cindy **. She was terrible, very rude, lied to me and my body shop and her manager was no better. All they did was what was in their best interest and didn’t care about me or the body shop my car was at.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

Safeco has a terrible billing system and even worse customer service. They hook you by billing you for the upcoming year before the current year is done and if you don't pay it they will charge you a $15 late fee! It would be better to pay a few dollars more and have better customer service. I know I will be doing that going forward.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

RightTrack is a con to allow them to track your driving information. They claim you can earn a discount (up to 30%) for good driving but this is total bs. I used Right Track for the required 90 days and got the rating of "great" on nearly all my drives. Once the 90 days were up I was told I wasn't getting any further discount because I already got the discount when I signed up. Why did I do this then??? I was informed the discount was equal to the discount I got initially so I wouldn't get a further discount. It now makes sense that when it went to a certain number it stopped going up and giving me credit for safe driving. For the last several weeks my discount has not moved or changed in spite of excellent driving. When it gets to your already discounted rate it stops tracking. So do not expect to get ANYTHING from Right Track. Very dishonest practice on the part of Safeco.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

When I cancelled my policy, they only refunded 1/2 of the amount they were supposed to. I called to ask why, and was told this is their policy. I was bounced between 3 different people and told the same thing by all of them, they would do nothing about it and kept 1/2 of the money they owed me.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

We have used SAFECO insurance in excess of 10 years without any issues. We use an independent agent to review our insurance needs each year and they canvass several different insurance companies and each year SAFECO has met our needs at the best price.

SAFECO Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

SAFECO Auto Insurance is a Liberty Mutual Company that provides a broad range of insurance products for vehicle and property owners. While the company has a national presence, it also employs local agents who provide services in specific states.

• Online quotes: SAFECO Auto Insurance's online quote center lets potential policyholders compare products and prices so they can choose options that match their budgets.

• Roadside assistance: Drivers with SAFECO Auto Insurance can get roadside assistance services 24 hours a day, seven days a week to make sure they are not stranded in unsafe circumstances.

• Rental cars: The company helps policyholders explore rental car options while their vehicles are being repaired.

• Claims center: SAFECO Auto Insurance's claims center is available 24 hours a day to take reports and provide information about pending claims.

• Credit-based insurance scores: SAFECO Auto Insurance uses each client's credit-based insurance score to measure how likely it is that the person will file an auto insurance claim.

• Best for: Drivers who want insurance policies that match their budgets and drivers who want to save money.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky