1.14/5
Based on 80 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

87 Prudential Disability Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 30, 2018

Received phone call from Prudential congratulating me that I was able to return to work after 10 years on disability. A doc that only gave me a injunction in my thumb somehow made an error on paperwork they filled out which the doc contacted Prudential and resubmitted new paperwork. Well next Prudential informed me that they needed look into my case more. Well after 2 weeks I was contacted and told that their decision stands. They admitted I can't perform my normal job duties but they found me a nice sit down job.

Get this I have no job experience for this job and besides that I can't work at any job I won't go into my health issues. I have doctors to prove them. Here's a question. Are there any attorneys out there that don't rob you worse than Prudential with their 5 to 7 year contracts stealing 33.333% of your disability money? That's right. They take 33.333% every month for the length of the contract.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I applied for LTD after exhausting my STD, was giving a Disability Consultant, then she was changed to another, filled out all the proper paperwork, provided all requested info, sent in all needed info, was sent a letter that they needed a 30 day extension. (They were waiting on EOBs) from an Insurance I didn't have at timeframe they needed, this was after I called 3 times and spoke to 3 Reps and they told me they didn't needed anything else. When I called my Consultant and told her this, her response was "I don't know what was said."

I asked her to pull recorded calls, she said "NO", she literally called me (the Customer) a Liar. So after 2 weeks of our conversation, she calls me to tell me that my claim was denied and that I could do my Job per National Job Expert. I went online and saw Letter she was to send me for DENIAL, and almost fell off my chair in laughter, because she copy and pasted all my medical records, she missed out vital diagnoses and had MRI date incorrect, Doctor Appt dates incorrect and even Meds incorrect... Being in the Medical Field, I could tell a Doctor never made this Denial Letter, the Rep did... These people are a joke!!!

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Am getting the runaround now with them, have had lumbar fusion on my S1, L5 and L4 and 6 screws and 2 fusions, and also total right shoulder replacement, but they want separate paperwork for each surgery. They are just trying to bet people out of STD in my opinion. I will keep in touch to let you all know about my outcome.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Both me and my husband out on LOA since Dec 6, 2017. I have gotten paid one time!! Delay in pay for benefit provided by employer and buy up by me. Getting the runaround. Feel like I am being watched. I am not a paranoid person, I pay great attention to detail!! Have not spoke to same person twice.

Updated on 04/03/2018: Been out on STD for 16 weeks now, going on 17. I have gotten 3 weeks of pay, I think. Who can fix this in a government position??? I need my money that is a benefit and something I contributed to. Please help me. I have contacted an attorney through email. Too much work there for me right now with my health that seems to be getting worse without my money!!!

Original review: March 12, 2018

I was diagnosed in Aug 2016 with breast cancer. I had every intention of returning to work after my mastectomy. After my mastectomy I developed chronic pain, Lymphedema and lost functionality on my left side. My employer fired me, they do not offer accommodations, and stated if I am not 100% unrestricted then I may not come back to work.

The claims adjuster calls monthly threatening to cut off my claim. She has numerous doctor reports that state the damage is permanent. I can’t raise my left arm above chest level, I can’t lift more than 5lbs. I need help pulling clothes over my head, cooking, cleaning etc. I homeschool and have 4 kids, she states that if I can take care of them I can work. I explain that they actually take care of me... she stated since I see a counselor then it’s now a mental case and they don’t pay mental. I stated no the counselor is helping me learn to accept my new damaged life.

I’ve been restricted from the website for 4 months and they have all kinds of excuses why they can’t fix my access. At the same time they place documents on the website I can’t access and I’ve requested they mail them. I feel these are deliberate tactics to say I’m not following thru. Luckily I keep a notebook of every phone call I ever made to them with names and numbers. I feel they are a highly suspect fraudulent company...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I have been on LTD for almost 5 yrs now. Prudential has wrongfully cancelled my claim 2 times after having 3 major back surgeries and only able to do light duty part time work. They are going to cancel my claim because I can't find a job that will allow me to rest when needed due to my condition. The last time they cancelled me I lost my position with my company of 12 yrs. and they didn't care! I proved both times they cancelled my claim that it was wrongful and had 4 doctors behind me saying the same thing. They sent me to one of their doctors who said that I could work part time which I can but only if I'm allowed to lie down and rest as needed. Who will hire me like this? They just want me off LTD even though I am disabled through no fault of my own. I was making $120K a year before all this. Now I'm at poverty level!! Prudential has done nothing but harassed me from day one.

I got buried in credit card debt the last time they cancelled me and I went through the whole appeals process a second time which took almost 6 months. Who can lose over 40% of their income when you're already in the poverty range? Erisa Laws were supposed to be there to help workers not let them get "hosed" by the insurance companies!! When they cancel my claim again I can't sue them. All I can do is pay an attorney $5000 or more to take them to Federal Court to get a judgement for them to cease their actions and reinstate my claim. These insurance companies like Prudential bank on that people like me will go get any sort of job while fighting them to support their families and then thus proving I go do gainful employment!! So then I out tens of thousands in the long run and still disabled! I have had countless claims managers since this began and I think they get a bonus each time they cancel a claim and get away with it.

They have their "doctors" which are nurses look over your medical files and determine your claim on whether you can work, but when that doesn't work they send you to one of their doctors at a workers comp clinic to look at you, ask you some questions, and briefly review your medical records. Mine are like a 1000 pages long!! How can a doctor that's never treated you before or ever run any tests on you determine if you're even fit to return to gainful employment? They really can't!! I am beside myself in total disbelief they get away with this!!!

I did find out that the US Department of Labor is supposed to be there to help you and can go after disability Insurance companies, though not many people know this. Attorneys and the Insurance companies are banking on you not knowing this little bit of information by the way!! This system was made for Attorneys by Attorneys and the insurance companies have a whole bunch of them working for them, where the little guy can maybe afford one. You best find a good one if the US Dept of Labor doesn't help you!! Good Luck if your company has Prudential disability claim management services as their LTD carrier!! See you in the poor house!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

For 15+ years I paid into LTD through my employer. Back in October 2014 I filed a health-related LTD claim with Prudential Insurance which was handled through Allsup (their representative). For 2-1/2 years I pursued a disability claim through Social Security Disability related to this Long Term Disability claim. I was out on LTD for 24 month (the maximum that you are allowed on LTD). I had to give up my employment and received monthly payments from Prudential throughout this period. During the course of this LTD claim I filed with Social Security for Early Retirement. After 2-1/2 years my disability case went before a judge and I won my case. Social Security paid me a large sum of money for retroactive pay during my time out on SSD. I received the check from SS and was required l to pay back the entire amount to Prudential that they had given me while out on LTD. I never got to keep ANY of the settlement.

In addition to that, while out on LTD I had filed for early retirement which I received for a few month while still collecting LTD from Prudential. I went to SS and asked if I was allowed to do this and said one thing had nothing to do with another. Now Prudential claims I owe them more money for the time I collected Early Retirement. I had to go on a payment plan with them and although I paid them back on a monthly basis they sent my account to a Collection Agency who has been hounding me for a year. I recently did my 2016 income tax and found out that this is considered income which resulted in my having to pay back the IRS even though I saw none of the money. Prudential Insurance has to be one of the worst companies I have ever done business with. They are relentless.

I suggest to other LTD claimants to get everything in writing before signing any paperwork from Prudential. I found out that had I lost my SSD case I wouldn't have had to pay them back any money. So I pursued this SSD for nothing. Had I known Prudential was going to ask for it back I never would have pursued my case for 2-1/2 years with Social Security. And when I questioned Prudential about the premium I had paid into LTD with my employer for 15 years they told me it was like buying any insurance policy. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. When you pay a premium for car insurance, if you get into an accident the insurance company pays out on the claim and doesn't ask you for the money back (except a deductible). Be very careful when dealing with Prudential. They are relentless and will get you one way or the other!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I found the assistance incompetent, dishonest and inaccurate. Also, I did not receive all requested information. While I have a list of grievances too lengthy to list about Prudential, it all points to a lack of Integrity besides the other major flaws. I have retained a message on my answering machine from a manager from Prudential saying my case indeed qualified as a long term disability case. It insults my intelligence in the way it was mishandled by Prudential.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I have to use Prudential because that's who my employer uses for salary continuation for FMLA leave. They said to put in my claim 2 weeks before I expected to be out. Good thing I didn't listen. I'd be panicked if I'd waited that long. Created an account and submitted my claim yesterday (over a month ahead of time). They sent me an email saying there was a new letter on my account. Logged in and searched for 10 minutes trying to even find where this letter would be. Then I find it and it says there's 4 attachments. I had 3. The 4th one is the one I need to take to the doctor. I sent a message on the website and specifically choose email correspondence as my preferred method, since they did ask.

So of course they call my work phone while I'm at lunch. They don't tell me why and give the general 800 number for me to call back. So I get on their automated system and spend 5 minutes getting to someone to find out what they called for. Responding to my message that I asked to be emailed on. I work in a cubicle farm. Phone calls are tricky. The lady tells me they need the doctor's phone number and fax, which I put on the original claim info I sent. Somehow their crappy site didn't take it. I google it and she adds it. Then she tells me where on the site to get the form I need.

In the meantime, I can't log on and get anything that way because my account timed out and has now locked me out. I asked her how to get the account unlocked and she tells me the site is having problems and I.S. is working on it. Whatever. Print my form to take to the doc and it needs my claim number. Guess what? I need to be able to get into my account to get it (which I can't). Son of a... Back on the phone I go. So 4 phone calls later, the resolution is "I'll have to call tech support to fix this issue. You'll get an email in the next 24 hours."

What a terrible company. I feel like I'm trying to get my mortgage refinanced. It's bad enough if you're needing to use FMLA for some issue in your life then have to deal with this circus of a company just to get paid while you're out. I pray for you that your company doesn't require you to use them. It's a nightmare. If you have a choice, DON'T DO IT. Go with someone else. Bob's disability claim service if you need to. Your neighbour working out of their home will do better.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

On short term due to a motorcycle wreck I didn't cause, torn knee ligament... only been off 2 weeks. Had 1st follow up appointment on Wednesday and 8 am Friday Prudential calls telling me they are going to cut my payment off because they need record from last appointment... Dr already faxed it Thursday. Prudential admit that it takes 2 days or more to get them to right people when faxed, but they call and threatened me... with a torn up knee, can't drive, barely walk, from a wreck I didn't cause... make me feel like a criminal to get paid what's owed to me. What I don't get is they expect this every few weeks, like me PCL is going to have a miracle and heal in 2 weeks. Poor service to it customers... also, they refused to give me long term coverage period due to me having had back surgery in the past.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I have Prudential Disability Insurance through my employer which I pay for. I began a claim on January 1, 2016. I was asked for my records, which I sent. I was called multiple times for more information. I went through Rothman to obtain the information. Then I was called multiple times concerning the information was not correct. This process continued until this month-Sept. 2017. I was not called about the status of my claim. I emailed the company because I noticed it seemed to say deny on the website, which by the way, I received emails stating I had information on the site but there was none to be found. After 16 years of paying for my disability, I am not able to collect anything. I was out of work for a year! I would NOT recommend this company.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I have had standard benefits through my employer with this company for 4 years. I was approved for 6 weeks maternity leave with 2 weeks antepartum benefits. Needless to say, I only received 5 weeks and 2 days of maternity leave and their explanation to me was that since I gave birth on a Wednesday, my benefits ended on a Wednesday. I was not paid for the 2 weeks antepartum and I still have 3 days that they refuse to pay. THIS COMPANY IS HORRIBLE!!!

Original review: May 17, 2017

When my husband contracted a debilitating, mysterious illness two years ago and became unable to work. We were unsure of our options, but Prudential's team made the transition from work, to STD, to LTD as easy as possible. Allsup, whom they contract to assist with the SSDI claim, is largely worthless --- but when we complained about them to our agent at Prudential, Allsup immediately stopped calling or mailing us. Throughout the ordeal of diagnosis, treatment, and having our lives completely thrown upside-down, we have been grateful that we have not had to worry about maintaining our financial security. The team at Prudential has been compassionate and efficient every step of the way.

Original review: April 21, 2017

I had short- and long-term disability through an employer. After an auto accident revealed I had severe back problems which required immediate surgery, I was placed on short-term disability. Almost 2 years later, after being told I couldn't return to work because my condition was still unstable, I watched in disbelief while Prudential approved my request for continuation and then, right before it would convert to long-term, they cancelled my approval, saying that the doctors were wrong and I could work. Subsequently, I appealed the decision and they once again overruled it. It created a fiasco and subsequently because of no income, I lost everything. Even though the doctors, specialists and Social Security agreed with me (I won SS disability the first time around), I couldn't find an attorney to take my case against Prudential. I'd recommend anyone to steer clear of Prudential.

Original review: March 13, 2017

I purchased a long term disability policy through my employer! I had the policy for years and when it came time for them to pay up, nope I wasn't disabled enough! I complied to all their requests! Seen their doctors! I hired a lawyer so it's yet to be determined what is going to happen! Do yourselves a favor and go with another company! All you do is pay for absolutely nothing!

Original review: March 12, 2017

I have several complex medical problems and have long term disability insurance at Prudential through my work. Until 2015 my health problems fluctuated and I was able to return to my job part time, I have been unable to work for medical reasons since May 2015. In the last few years, I have had a succession of disability claim managers and have never been informed when they change. My latest one will not give me her email or direct phone extension insisting that I use the helpline. Prudential never contacts me by email or email when they want additional information or to tell me the benefit payment has been delayed. The helpline varies from quite helpful to totally useless.

In the last year I have had several months where my benefit has not been paid promptly usually with the excuse that new manager is reviewing the case or sometimes that they need additional information from my doctors. Most recently, they wanted information on a traumatic brain injury which occurred nearly 2 years ago which has been stable since 6 months after it occurred. This probably the least of my medical problems. According to Prudential's own information, the claim has been approved for the next 18 months. I have always had to contact them or sometimes additionally have HR at my workplace contact them to obtain payment.

Currently, it is now more than 2 weeks since the benefit payment should have been made. I am waiting for money to come through to my bank and was told 4 days ago that it should be in my bank in 3 days. It is now the 4th day and nothing is even pending in my bank account. The claim manager I talked to last week seemed quite unconcerned that I had a negative balance in my checking account. No attempt is ever made to reimburse me for the overdraft fees and late payment fees incurred. This is in marked contrast to what has happened on the (rare) occasions when I have been accidentally overpaid during times when I was back at my job part time. Then Prudential has phoned me to demand instant repayment! I am frustrated by the ongoing problems and would give Prudential zero stars if that was an option.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

I was approved for the minimum possible coverage for my maternity leave. I kept calling two months prior to my claim being active so as to make sure everything was in order. Not one rep called me nor did I receive a letter in the mail station by my coverage, dates of claim in place, nothing. I got an email about logging in into my online account but the site under my account was empty; they did not input anything. I spoke with a claims supervisor and she was completely useless. I have had this so called insurance for 5 years and have been paying per paycheck. Such a waste of my time and money. Complete joke!!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2016

HORRIBLE. FILED in MAY. They have delayed and delayed with one excuse or another and finally have given me a disallowed status even though I have a clear documented case and I have filed a new case pending for social security disability. Do not use this company. Do not purchase this insurance. Why they are allowed to do this to people is beyond me. I have lost my vehicle, facing eviction, can't pay my bills and currently doing everything I can just to make ends meet.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2016

Recovering from surgery. Short term disability being utilized. I am going back to work but the recovery for this is 3 months. They worry you to death with paperwork and updates. How can you get better when you are worried sick that you are not going to be paid. They are horrible. Again, this is just short term disability being used through my employer. I have NEVER been sick and when I finally need them they make my recovery a pain in the rear end.

Original review: June 26, 2016

I'm an RN and have paid for LTD for many years. In September 2014, I was diagnosed with Lymphoma, I was thankfully covered quite well by HCA as I had been employed there for over 8 years. When my short term ran out in February of 2015, my daughter was still in high school and I went on the long term disability I had paid for through Allsup with Prudential Insurance. I moved in with my sister that summer as we lost our home.

My daughter wanted to remain with her grandmother. She filed for separate government disability for the 3 months she qualified for while in high school, completely independent of me. I had to pay Prudential back for that money. I just don't understand that at all. I never saw or benefited from that money. They just quit paying. Worthless company. The only good thing is they do all your paperwork for government disability, but they only do that to recover the money they've sent to you. Seems like what they do should be illegal.

Original review: April 29, 2016

Paid for years expensive premiums through JPMorgan & Chase disability benefit. They cancelled me after a few months and never paid more than 50.00 per month because State of California (my money I contributed since I was 14...) paid me. The minute the state exhausted funds they stopped their offset of 50.00! ...I made 6 figures the majority of my life. They are a complete rip-off and hopefully will be taken care of with the new Presidential Administration. The people that work there are criminals and liars. They take our hard earned money for premiums and when we need it, they fight you. Please boycott this company.

Original review: April 22, 2016

I qualified, through my employer, in Jan 2016 for Disability Insurance through Prudential. I filled out all necessary paperwork, continue to give them updates about my condition, and have gone as far as tracking down doctors I saw in 2014 and sent in records in order to prove my need for neck surgery is not related to any preexisting conditions.

I continuously call and my "case manager" is NEVER available to speak... leaving me speak to customer service representatives who are nothing more than glorified message takers. I even once returned a call 30 seconds after I received it (while in the hospital) and was unable to get in touch with my "case manager." The representative I spoke to claimed the case manager was no longer in the office when I had literally just missed a call from her within the prior minute.

I have gone above and beyond to provide every piece of invasive medical records Prudential has asked for and am either told it's not enough or that they did not receive it at all. It is now close to May and I have received continuous Extensions for "further investigation." Meanwhile, in the past 5 months, I have had to sell my car, sell my furniture, and move in with my mother because I cannot afford rent or food. I am baffled by how this is legal. I can't pay medical bills that need to be paid yet during my employment Prudential happily deducted money from my check for Long Term Disability insurance! I am at a loss of what to do. It is a shame this company is allowed to operate in such a soulless way!

Original review: April 6, 2016

I currently on short term disability. For over a week my case manager contacted me claiming they still needed information to extend my claim. After providing requested information to both her AND a customer service representative I was notified they still haven't received the information. I called today to give them the information for a 3rd time. I was then notified I would not receive my benefits for this period because they were waiting on information from me... which they had for a week now. I have 2 small children, house payment, car payment, and student loans to pay. Very rude, unprofessional, and uncaring. I almost feel like my case manager did this out of spite. Shameful.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2016

I quit working for Mercy Hospital after 35 years due to MS. The parent company is CHI. I was approved for LTD August of 2015. In October I withdraw my pension from CHI. I am 59 years old. In January of 2016 I was informed by Prudential that I cannot have my pension and disability (it was less than 50,000) so they are going to deduct the amount of my pension from my disability check and by the way I need to pay 2700.00 to cover the last 3 months of payment. It was my pension and now it is prudential's. I was never informed of this when I withdrew the money. So if you work for a company and prudential is their LTD company don't use your retirement if you go on disability.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2016

I have been battling with this company and their third party (Allsup) for an accurate assessment of monies they say I owe resulting in my Social Security Disability Claim approval. I was quoted 1/2 doz or more numbers from either party VERBALLY only. At my own initiative, I used their own pamphlet to create a spreadsheet and paid them less than 30 days. To date they continue to hound me for more money--each time advising they made errors and changing their $$ amount due in each correspondence to a higher number. I have not had the same person handle a response twice. This has been stressful to say the least. Further, they have issued a 1099 to me without a resolution to this matter (which was from 2014)! Poor, poor, poor.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2016

I worked at a large company for 20 years and became disabled due to encephalitis. When you become disabled from the government your children can collect disability also. That's when the trouble starts with Prudential. They count that as your income and I got an overpayment statement for 55,000.00. I did not know it counted for your whole family. I thought it was just for my salary. Now how can I pay back that much and only receiving ssd from the government? I have to live also. Prudential does not care. I BET THEIR WORKERS GET SOME KIND OF KICKBACK IF THEY SAVE PRUDENTIAL MONEY. WARNING: DO NOT PURCHASE.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2016

I had Prudential Disability Insurance through work. I paid in for 30 years. I had triple bypass surgery and after surgical failures and a staph infection which required four open chest surgeries where they removed most of my sternum and I developed a large hernia under my ribs which over time has split my sternum almost in two and I have lost the integrity of my rib cage which moves constantly which causes great pain frequently. I have also had several hernia surgeries in the past which are coming apart also.

It is normal for my BP to go sky high 175/120 last time it was taken. I can barely function most of the time. Two doctors, a general medicine doctor (my primary care doctor originally) and the head of cardiovascular surgery at a very large and well known health system have supported my disability from the beginning and this was ignored by Prudential. I lost my job and benefits in 2014 and started receiving benefits from Prudential.

Right from the beginning the threats of cutting off my benefits began. They actually did cut me off once without notice because they said my doctor didn't fill out a paper they wanted. I grieved the action through HR at work and they paid but only after ignoring my calls at least 10. They caused me nothing but stress and worry constantly. Ten different people must have called me over time about my case. I never knew who they were most of the time. I had a rep which I kept informed about all aspects of my case, usually I had to leave a message because there was no answer.

Today I received a call from someone else I never heard of who tells me I will be cut off April 1st. They tell me I can work. They identified three jobs in my profession that they say I could do. Two of these jobs I have never heard of after 30 years in the field. If I cannot get my SSA disability benefits this will put me on the street. I guess I fall under the two year rule. They don't care how sick you are, they just want to end your claim. It has taken this long because of losing my benefits and health insurance I had to go to the VA and have to go through all my appointments with the services all over again. Do yourself a favor, don't get mixed up with this company. They don't care about you and will make your life even more miserable. I know, believe me.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

I made the unfortunate decision to have "Prudential Disability Insurance" as a teacher. I have them to be nothing but "liars" and that they will do anything to get out of paying a claim. They will be glad to take your premium payments, but do not expect them to pay you when you become "disabled" and need help. It makes me just so sick to see the way they have treated me. DO NOT DEAL THIS COMPANY. It is the WORST!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2015

I am disabled. Per the government, I paid Prudential LTD extra for almost 26 years to get 65% of my salary before I became disabled. Now 2 years into LTD they say I owe them $30,000.00 in over payment as per my contract. On Sept 20 I received a letter stating if I don't pay the entire amount by October 1st I'll being cut off totally. No information about discussion about wrong numbers used to make this determination. Nothing to help me. Don't bother with buying LTD because it's not going to help you thrive if you become disabled. Save the money yourself!! Prudential and I'm very sure other insurance companies are in with legislators hacking the laws to suit the corporate entity. Insurance companies should have no rights to my Government disability. Meaning I'm paying Prudential to take what I paid into SSID for almost 40 years? Who knowingly would do this?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2015

After 25 years with a big company my husband was terminated after a rotator cuff surgery. Back at work, tore rotator cuff, another surgery. Eight months early Prudential stops paying him. Even Dr said he's not able to work.

Prudential expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Prudential has been offering insurance for over 140 years. It currently has offices in Asia and Europe as well as in both North and South America.

• Offers group insurance: Users can purchase insurance through their employers.

• Offers rehabilitation services: Users can get assistance with healing and getting back to work.

• Offers partial benefits: People who can do some work but can't return to their full job duties may be able to get partial benefits while back on the job.

• Can help employers with site modifications: Users can get assistance with getting modifications at work so that they can continue to perform jobs following the onset of a disability.

• Paycheck deductions: Employees can have premiums deducted automatically from each paycheck prior to getting paid.

• Best for: People with a chronic condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky

Newark
NJ
www.prudential.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business