1.17/5
Based on 89 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

96 Prudential Disability Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

This is a DISHONEST company. I had the short term disability insurance through my employer, am a registered nurse, in ICU. I survived a horrific car accident in August. Returned to work a week later. In October, I had a detached retina, which occurred in the accident but was not diagnosed until I had no sight in my left eye. I was immediately put on bedrest and took FMLA. I had s total of THREE surgeries, and have been off work over 2 months. I've had to fight every day to get sporadic checks from them. I PAY FOR THIS INSURANCE, IT WAS NOT PROVIDED BY MY EMPLOYER FOR FREE. I have paid premiums for 25 years, to be treated like a dog. One rep actually asked me if I was receiving physical therapy!! FOR MY EYE!

So, I am back at work and they still owe me 8 days of pay. Now they are trying to actually LIE, and say my doctor said I could return to work on the 22, not the 28. Why? So they get out of paying me for those 8 days. I think not. I will get my money, if I have to file a suit to get it. Beware of this company and their dishonest practice. These people are just STRAIGHT ROBBING THE CONSUMERS. DO NOT USE PRUDENTIAL. THEY DO NOT CARE IF YOUR CHILDREN STARVE.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Do NOT USE THIS company! I have had 2 surgeries and nothing but problems getting my short term disability. They do everything they can to not pay people. They still owe me money. They also changed my approval date! If you can avoid them please do so! I’ve had such a struggle while I’m trying to recover! Customer service are just messengers! My doctor literally had to call this company and demand to know why her physical assessment wasn’t credible to them! How can they try to override my primary physician! What a JOKE.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Prudential completely lied about what my doctor wrote because I have a copy of what my doctor sent. They paid a hack doctor with no practice to write a letter with his opinion based on his inexperience with my condition and told my doctor to sign it and return it in ten days. My doctor would agree with their hack doctor that’s so technically and intellectually beneath her so they cut off my benefits. Why would my doctor agree with some doctor's opinion when he had no knowledge of my physical well being? They must be denying claims for their Christmas bonus and leave me without the ability to pay my Cobra coverage.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I am a 62 year old physician with epilepsy. When I became disabled from uncontrolled epilepsy, I too experienced the most incredibly callous interactions with the Prudential insurance company. Paid insurance premiums for 32 years faithfully, yet I have had to fight with this unscrupulous “business” over a period of five years — to receive my disability payment which are contractually due me. They are miniscule monies, and will be arbitrarily stopped in June 2019 without appeal. My LTD also had a “work in same specialty” (cardiology) clause. Ultimately, I was informed (by letter) that [the committee?] had determined that I could return to work, doing any sort of work. While all work is honorable, that was not the actual message. The message was: "get ready boy, you about to be outta our hair and off the payroll!!"

I have previously been the managing partner in a large cardiology practice, dealt with all sorts of contracts. And so, as a point of reference, know just how bad their stench is. The more detailed and determined I become to define the dishonesty, the more contentious and angry Prudential’s employees became. The decision making is governed by profit margins and accounting determinations of profitability. When compassion and honesty are absent. we have nothing from a societal perspective. Prudential employees hammered this message: that I am malingering and lazy. I worked full time as a cardiologist for 16 years with epilepsy, so I wasn’t gonna accept that message. For others suffering chronic illness...subjected to the same this same callous, malicious abuse...get the word out. Document events and keep records. Indeed, Prudential is violating contracts with patients.

It’s a multimillion dollar insurance scam, undoubtedly engaging in questionable business practices with predatory intent on patients and families. We buy disability insurance for income protection. There are many honorable & honest insurers. My advice would be to drop your STD and LTD policies with this company. Find an honest insurer. Protect yourself from insurance fraud and abuse. If Prudential doesn’t have patients paying premiums, they can’t make money. If they can’t make money, they can’t stay in business. Should illness befall you, never lose hope. Identify those people and businesses have a spiritual commitment to others, and who work off principles of compassion and integrity. There are lots of us good people out there. Lastly, do not let dishonorable actions from the Prudentials out there define who you are.

Actions which promote and maintain self esteem are the things that help us get better, not an LTD check issued begrudgingly. In that way, Prudential has given me a gift...some additional spiritual strength. They have reminded me that not everything comes in the form of a dollar bill or an insurance payment. Psyche protection is more important than income protection. I want to share my final experience with those cruel folks. I received “the call” to inform me no more payments and no appeal, and it just so happened the day after I had some serious seizure activity with injuries. I was on my way to the dentist to repair two teeth which were damaged and crushed during the seizure. I informed the guy that. His response to me was not one of concern. His response was, “Have a good afternoon”.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I had Short Term Disability with Prudential through my employer, and have received benefits, due to kidney failure. I was no longer able to work. I also have a separate policy for Long Term Disability, also with Prudential. After expiration of STD benefits, the LTD benefits were to take effect. The first month was a partial month, and I was to receive about 70%, but they only paid 47%. After several months of arguing, I finally got the missing 23% that Prudential wrongfully withheld. There was no apology for their ‘error’.

I was concerned what other possible ‘errors’ Prudential might have made, and discovered that, although the STD had continued through November 14, 2017, Prudential started LTD on November 2, 2017. Because I had STD income until November 14, Prudential would not pay LTD for that period. However, because LTD started Nov 2 instead of Nov 14 (expiration of STD), Prudential claims that LTD ends Feb 1 instead of Feb 14, 2018 (15 months per contract). By starting earlier than required, they are terminating early, and ripping me off for about half a month of benefits. I have argued this ‘error’ with Brenda ** at Prudential for several months, but she will not change. I wonder if there are any attorneys who specialize in this type of issue. I wonder if there is potential for class action; I suspect that this is an isolated case. This is how Prudential Insurance treats the elderly and disabled.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I WANT TO REACH OUT TO ALL OF DISABLED WHO HAVE BEEN DENIED YOUR LTDB'S! Let's stand together & make sure the rest of Americans know the truth!!! If they have insurance through Prudential disability!!!! Be aware now! Don't take any comfort in this benefit! They don't care about you! No promise that if you're covered you will get paid... If you end up unable to work they do not care! They will harass you, tell lies, make promises! They don't care!!! I'm mad! We all deserve to be treated with respect! To not have to worry every day is this the day I end up living in the street?? Will I have enough money to spread out to the next paycheck? We didn't chose to become disabled!!! We paid for our benefits all those years of working hard! I'm anger!

Someone I don't even know is sitting comfortably at a desk stuffing their faces. Having the ability to decide the rest of my life. Without ever meeting me in person! Or the "clinical team" sitting around a table flipping coins on who has to review the next claim? Not even reading last first paragraph to deny benefits. Prudential doesn't practice their side of the rules. Fair & honest handling of our claims in good faith! I want to be heard & attention brought to their dishonest, horrible treatment. They have chosen my fate. I want to tell & warn people. I deserve to be paid for benefits! Being told you are disabled is the worse words to hear!!! I felt lucky Prudential has approved & covered all 22 surgeries starting 2008-2016.

They have every claim file with doctor notes to show every surgery leading up to me becoming PERMANENTLY DISABLED. They sure did prove how lucky was!! At being a fool! They refused to go back to any other claims over 9 years!!! I was 100% Screwed over!! I had to prove to Prudential for years I'm DISABLED. Losing my great paying job, to receiving $850.00 a month after they denied & quit paying me. I had no voice in how this day ended with my doctor deemed me PERMANENTLY DISABLED never to return to any work environment. I feel like a criminal. I now have defend myself for becoming disabled. What has happened to our country? I'm sorry that this is what we all have to face. It is terrifying!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I have been on LTD with Prudential since 2012. Each year they perform a review which includes a statement from the physician and the patient. The night before last I couldn't sleep so I went to the Prudential site to see when my next benefit check would be sent. Lo and behold... my benefits were suspended. Apparently in June and July they emailed me forms to completed for my annual review. I never received these forms. In addition, because I opted to receive communication via email it also includes text. I never received a text.

Yesterday I phoned Laura ** Claims Representative who was absolutely no help at all. I asked her who in their right mind would jeopardize their benefits being suspended. She stated that I would be surprised. I asked her to prove that I received the paperwork. She stated that they have documentation as to when it was sent. BS BS BS. Her final comments was, "I don't know what to tell you." I asked to speak to her superior. She stated that she could not directly connect me to them but she could have someone call me back. STILL WAITING. Last night I faxed my portion of the paperwork to Prudential. I am waiting for my Doctor to do the same. This stress is exacerbating my illness and my blood pressure is through the roof. What a horrible way of communicating with people. NOT EVEN A PHONE CALL TO ASK me where my documentation was. This is my livelihood. THANK YOU LAURA ** for your lack of help and lack of compassion.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

As a social worker who deals with this stuff, I was ready for a lengthy, painful process. I was pleasantly surprised. They were helpful with my part of the process, Patient with delays by some Drs and very pleasant whenever I called in with questions or concerns. I have been on LTD for 5 years now, and regular recertification has been similarly reasonable to accomplish. I have had many different agents, but they have all been on top of things, and interested and willing to learn about my rare disease. I would recommend this company for any employee LTD provider.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

They're in the business to take your money, not pay claims. Do not purchase from this company. As previously stated, they are in the business to take your money, not to pay fair and reasonable claims. Fraudulent business practices, lack of communication between departments and reviewers who do not, I repeat, do not have the claimants best interest in mind are common elements of this company. The reviewers will "forget" key medical documents existed, they will enlist outside sources to obtain information already received, they ignore claimants statements regarding their condition... Ultimately, they posture in hopes you will forget about your claim and not pursue it further. They are very quick to make a decision as their reviews have the company's best interest in mind.

My claim was so disorganized and incorrect that I called numerous times to convey the correct information, only to have the wrong information pop up again. They automatically converted my STD claim to a LTD claim and began to demand (yes, demand) medical records and employer statements after I returned to work. All necessary information was previously provided, yet they postured to "run the clock." My claim was denied, twice, but that won't stop me from escalating this to the highest level of accountability to ensure Prudential does not continue their fraudulent SOP's.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Received phone call from Prudential congratulating me that I was able to return to work after 10 years on disability. A doc that only gave me a injunction in my thumb somehow made an error on paperwork they filled out which the doc contacted Prudential and resubmitted new paperwork. Well next Prudential informed me that they needed look into my case more. Well after 2 weeks I was contacted and told that their decision stands. They admitted I can't perform my normal job duties but they found me a nice sit down job.

Get this I have no job experience for this job and besides that I can't work at any job I won't go into my health issues. I have doctors to prove them. Here's a question. Are there any attorneys out there that don't rob you worse than Prudential with their 5 to 7 year contracts stealing 33.333% of your disability money? That's right. They take 33.333% every month for the length of the contract.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I applied for LTD after exhausting my STD, was giving a Disability Consultant, then she was changed to another, filled out all the proper paperwork, provided all requested info, sent in all needed info, was sent a letter that they needed a 30 day extension. (They were waiting on EOBs) from an Insurance I didn't have at timeframe they needed, this was after I called 3 times and spoke to 3 Reps and they told me they didn't needed anything else. When I called my Consultant and told her this, her response was "I don't know what was said."

I asked her to pull recorded calls, she said "NO", she literally called me (the Customer) a Liar. So after 2 weeks of our conversation, she calls me to tell me that my claim was denied and that I could do my Job per National Job Expert. I went online and saw Letter she was to send me for DENIAL, and almost fell off my chair in laughter, because she copy and pasted all my medical records, she missed out vital diagnoses and had MRI date incorrect, Doctor Appt dates incorrect and even Meds incorrect... Being in the Medical Field, I could tell a Doctor never made this Denial Letter, the Rep did... These people are a joke!!!

Original review: June 6, 2018

Am getting the runaround now with them, have had lumbar fusion on my S1, L5 and L4 and 6 screws and 2 fusions, and also total right shoulder replacement, but they want separate paperwork for each surgery. They are just trying to bet people out of STD in my opinion. I will keep in touch to let you all know about my outcome.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Both me and my husband out on LOA since Dec 6, 2017. I have gotten paid one time!! Delay in pay for benefit provided by employer and buy up by me. Getting the runaround. Feel like I am being watched. I am not a paranoid person, I pay great attention to detail!! Have not spoke to same person twice.

Updated on 04/03/2018: Been out on STD for 16 weeks now, going on 17. I have gotten 3 weeks of pay, I think. Who can fix this in a government position??? I need my money that is a benefit and something I contributed to. Please help me. I have contacted an attorney through email. Too much work there for me right now with my health that seems to be getting worse without my money!!!

Original review: March 12, 2018

I was diagnosed in Aug 2016 with breast cancer. I had every intention of returning to work after my mastectomy. After my mastectomy I developed chronic pain, Lymphedema and lost functionality on my left side. My employer fired me, they do not offer accommodations, and stated if I am not 100% unrestricted then I may not come back to work.

The claims adjuster calls monthly threatening to cut off my claim. She has numerous doctor reports that state the damage is permanent. I can’t raise my left arm above chest level, I can’t lift more than 5lbs. I need help pulling clothes over my head, cooking, cleaning etc. I homeschool and have 4 kids, she states that if I can take care of them I can work. I explain that they actually take care of me... she stated since I see a counselor then it’s now a mental case and they don’t pay mental. I stated no the counselor is helping me learn to accept my new damaged life.

I’ve been restricted from the website for 4 months and they have all kinds of excuses why they can’t fix my access. At the same time they place documents on the website I can’t access and I’ve requested they mail them. I feel these are deliberate tactics to say I’m not following thru. Luckily I keep a notebook of every phone call I ever made to them with names and numbers. I feel they are a highly suspect fraudulent company...

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I have been on LTD for almost 5 yrs now. Prudential has wrongfully cancelled my claim 2 times after having 3 major back surgeries and only able to do light duty part time work. They are going to cancel my claim because I can't find a job that will allow me to rest when needed due to my condition. The last time they cancelled me I lost my position with my company of 12 yrs. and they didn't care! I proved both times they cancelled my claim that it was wrongful and had 4 doctors behind me saying the same thing. They sent me to one of their doctors who said that I could work part time which I can but only if I'm allowed to lie down and rest as needed. Who will hire me like this? They just want me off LTD even though I am disabled through no fault of my own. I was making $120K a year before all this. Now I'm at poverty level!! Prudential has done nothing but harassed me from day one.

I got buried in credit card debt the last time they cancelled me and I went through the whole appeals process a second time which took almost 6 months. Who can lose over 40% of their income when you're already in the poverty range? Erisa Laws were supposed to be there to help workers not let them get "hosed" by the insurance companies!! When they cancel my claim again I can't sue them. All I can do is pay an attorney $5000 or more to take them to Federal Court to get a judgement for them to cease their actions and reinstate my claim. These insurance companies like Prudential bank on that people like me will go get any sort of job while fighting them to support their families and then thus proving I go do gainful employment!! So then I out tens of thousands in the long run and still disabled! I have had countless claims managers since this began and I think they get a bonus each time they cancel a claim and get away with it.

They have their "doctors" which are nurses look over your medical files and determine your claim on whether you can work, but when that doesn't work they send you to one of their doctors at a workers comp clinic to look at you, ask you some questions, and briefly review your medical records. Mine are like a 1000 pages long!! How can a doctor that's never treated you before or ever run any tests on you determine if you're even fit to return to gainful employment? They really can't!! I am beside myself in total disbelief they get away with this!!!

I did find out that the US Department of Labor is supposed to be there to help you and can go after disability Insurance companies, though not many people know this. Attorneys and the Insurance companies are banking on you not knowing this little bit of information by the way!! This system was made for Attorneys by Attorneys and the insurance companies have a whole bunch of them working for them, where the little guy can maybe afford one. You best find a good one if the US Dept of Labor doesn't help you!! Good Luck if your company has Prudential disability claim management services as their LTD carrier!! See you in the poor house!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

For 15+ years I paid into LTD through my employer. Back in October 2014 I filed a health-related LTD claim with Prudential Insurance which was handled through Allsup (their representative). For 2-1/2 years I pursued a disability claim through Social Security Disability related to this Long Term Disability claim. I was out on LTD for 24 month (the maximum that you are allowed on LTD). I had to give up my employment and received monthly payments from Prudential throughout this period. During the course of this LTD claim I filed with Social Security for Early Retirement. After 2-1/2 years my disability case went before a judge and I won my case. Social Security paid me a large sum of money for retroactive pay during my time out on SSD. I received the check from SS and was required l to pay back the entire amount to Prudential that they had given me while out on LTD. I never got to keep ANY of the settlement.

In addition to that, while out on LTD I had filed for early retirement which I received for a few month while still collecting LTD from Prudential. I went to SS and asked if I was allowed to do this and said one thing had nothing to do with another. Now Prudential claims I owe them more money for the time I collected Early Retirement. I had to go on a payment plan with them and although I paid them back on a monthly basis they sent my account to a Collection Agency who has been hounding me for a year. I recently did my 2016 income tax and found out that this is considered income which resulted in my having to pay back the IRS even though I saw none of the money. Prudential Insurance has to be one of the worst companies I have ever done business with. They are relentless.

I suggest to other LTD claimants to get everything in writing before signing any paperwork from Prudential. I found out that had I lost my SSD case I wouldn't have had to pay them back any money. So I pursued this SSD for nothing. Had I known Prudential was going to ask for it back I never would have pursued my case for 2-1/2 years with Social Security. And when I questioned Prudential about the premium I had paid into LTD with my employer for 15 years they told me it was like buying any insurance policy. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. When you pay a premium for car insurance, if you get into an accident the insurance company pays out on the claim and doesn't ask you for the money back (except a deductible). Be very careful when dealing with Prudential. They are relentless and will get you one way or the other!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I found the assistance incompetent, dishonest and inaccurate. Also, I did not receive all requested information. While I have a list of grievances too lengthy to list about Prudential, it all points to a lack of Integrity besides the other major flaws. I have retained a message on my answering machine from a manager from Prudential saying my case indeed qualified as a long term disability case. It insults my intelligence in the way it was mishandled by Prudential.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I have to use Prudential because that's who my employer uses for salary continuation for FMLA leave. They said to put in my claim 2 weeks before I expected to be out. Good thing I didn't listen. I'd be panicked if I'd waited that long. Created an account and submitted my claim yesterday (over a month ahead of time). They sent me an email saying there was a new letter on my account. Logged in and searched for 10 minutes trying to even find where this letter would be. Then I find it and it says there's 4 attachments. I had 3. The 4th one is the one I need to take to the doctor. I sent a message on the website and specifically choose email correspondence as my preferred method, since they did ask.

So of course they call my work phone while I'm at lunch. They don't tell me why and give the general 800 number for me to call back. So I get on their automated system and spend 5 minutes getting to someone to find out what they called for. Responding to my message that I asked to be emailed on. I work in a cubicle farm. Phone calls are tricky. The lady tells me they need the doctor's phone number and fax, which I put on the original claim info I sent. Somehow their crappy site didn't take it. I google it and she adds it. Then she tells me where on the site to get the form I need.

In the meantime, I can't log on and get anything that way because my account timed out and has now locked me out. I asked her how to get the account unlocked and she tells me the site is having problems and I.S. is working on it. Whatever. Print my form to take to the doc and it needs my claim number. Guess what? I need to be able to get into my account to get it (which I can't). Son of a... Back on the phone I go. So 4 phone calls later, the resolution is "I'll have to call tech support to fix this issue. You'll get an email in the next 24 hours."

What a terrible company. I feel like I'm trying to get my mortgage refinanced. It's bad enough if you're needing to use FMLA for some issue in your life then have to deal with this circus of a company just to get paid while you're out. I pray for you that your company doesn't require you to use them. It's a nightmare. If you have a choice, DON'T DO IT. Go with someone else. Bob's disability claim service if you need to. Your neighbour working out of their home will do better.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

On short term due to a motorcycle wreck I didn't cause, torn knee ligament... only been off 2 weeks. Had 1st follow up appointment on Wednesday and 8 am Friday Prudential calls telling me they are going to cut my payment off because they need record from last appointment... Dr already faxed it Thursday. Prudential admit that it takes 2 days or more to get them to right people when faxed, but they call and threatened me... with a torn up knee, can't drive, barely walk, from a wreck I didn't cause... make me feel like a criminal to get paid what's owed to me. What I don't get is they expect this every few weeks, like me PCL is going to have a miracle and heal in 2 weeks. Poor service to it customers... also, they refused to give me long term coverage period due to me having had back surgery in the past.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I have Prudential Disability Insurance through my employer which I pay for. I began a claim on January 1, 2016. I was asked for my records, which I sent. I was called multiple times for more information. I went through Rothman to obtain the information. Then I was called multiple times concerning the information was not correct. This process continued until this month-Sept. 2017. I was not called about the status of my claim. I emailed the company because I noticed it seemed to say deny on the website, which by the way, I received emails stating I had information on the site but there was none to be found. After 16 years of paying for my disability, I am not able to collect anything. I was out of work for a year! I would NOT recommend this company.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I have had standard benefits through my employer with this company for 4 years. I was approved for 6 weeks maternity leave with 2 weeks antepartum benefits. Needless to say, I only received 5 weeks and 2 days of maternity leave and their explanation to me was that since I gave birth on a Wednesday, my benefits ended on a Wednesday. I was not paid for the 2 weeks antepartum and I still have 3 days that they refuse to pay. THIS COMPANY IS HORRIBLE!!!

Original review: May 17, 2017

When my husband contracted a debilitating, mysterious illness two years ago and became unable to work. We were unsure of our options, but Prudential's team made the transition from work, to STD, to LTD as easy as possible. Allsup, whom they contract to assist with the SSDI claim, is largely worthless --- but when we complained about them to our agent at Prudential, Allsup immediately stopped calling or mailing us. Throughout the ordeal of diagnosis, treatment, and having our lives completely thrown upside-down, we have been grateful that we have not had to worry about maintaining our financial security. The team at Prudential has been compassionate and efficient every step of the way.

Original review: April 21, 2017

I had short- and long-term disability through an employer. After an auto accident revealed I had severe back problems which required immediate surgery, I was placed on short-term disability. Almost 2 years later, after being told I couldn't return to work because my condition was still unstable, I watched in disbelief while Prudential approved my request for continuation and then, right before it would convert to long-term, they cancelled my approval, saying that the doctors were wrong and I could work. Subsequently, I appealed the decision and they once again overruled it. It created a fiasco and subsequently because of no income, I lost everything. Even though the doctors, specialists and Social Security agreed with me (I won SS disability the first time around), I couldn't find an attorney to take my case against Prudential. I'd recommend anyone to steer clear of Prudential.

Original review: March 13, 2017

I purchased a long term disability policy through my employer! I had the policy for years and when it came time for them to pay up, nope I wasn't disabled enough! I complied to all their requests! Seen their doctors! I hired a lawyer so it's yet to be determined what is going to happen! Do yourselves a favor and go with another company! All you do is pay for absolutely nothing!

Original review: March 12, 2017

I have several complex medical problems and have long term disability insurance at Prudential through my work. Until 2015 my health problems fluctuated and I was able to return to my job part time, I have been unable to work for medical reasons since May 2015. In the last few years, I have had a succession of disability claim managers and have never been informed when they change. My latest one will not give me her email or direct phone extension insisting that I use the helpline. Prudential never contacts me by email or email when they want additional information or to tell me the benefit payment has been delayed. The helpline varies from quite helpful to totally useless.

In the last year I have had several months where my benefit has not been paid promptly usually with the excuse that new manager is reviewing the case or sometimes that they need additional information from my doctors. Most recently, they wanted information on a traumatic brain injury which occurred nearly 2 years ago which has been stable since 6 months after it occurred. This probably the least of my medical problems. According to Prudential's own information, the claim has been approved for the next 18 months. I have always had to contact them or sometimes additionally have HR at my workplace contact them to obtain payment.

Currently, it is now more than 2 weeks since the benefit payment should have been made. I am waiting for money to come through to my bank and was told 4 days ago that it should be in my bank in 3 days. It is now the 4th day and nothing is even pending in my bank account. The claim manager I talked to last week seemed quite unconcerned that I had a negative balance in my checking account. No attempt is ever made to reimburse me for the overdraft fees and late payment fees incurred. This is in marked contrast to what has happened on the (rare) occasions when I have been accidentally overpaid during times when I was back at my job part time. Then Prudential has phoned me to demand instant repayment! I am frustrated by the ongoing problems and would give Prudential zero stars if that was an option.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

I was approved for the minimum possible coverage for my maternity leave. I kept calling two months prior to my claim being active so as to make sure everything was in order. Not one rep called me nor did I receive a letter in the mail station by my coverage, dates of claim in place, nothing. I got an email about logging in into my online account but the site under my account was empty; they did not input anything. I spoke with a claims supervisor and she was completely useless. I have had this so called insurance for 5 years and have been paying per paycheck. Such a waste of my time and money. Complete joke!!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2016

HORRIBLE. FILED in MAY. They have delayed and delayed with one excuse or another and finally have given me a disallowed status even though I have a clear documented case and I have filed a new case pending for social security disability. Do not use this company. Do not purchase this insurance. Why they are allowed to do this to people is beyond me. I have lost my vehicle, facing eviction, can't pay my bills and currently doing everything I can just to make ends meet.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2016

Recovering from surgery. Short term disability being utilized. I am going back to work but the recovery for this is 3 months. They worry you to death with paperwork and updates. How can you get better when you are worried sick that you are not going to be paid. They are horrible. Again, this is just short term disability being used through my employer. I have NEVER been sick and when I finally need them they make my recovery a pain in the rear end.

Original review: June 26, 2016

I'm an RN and have paid for LTD for many years. In September 2014, I was diagnosed with Lymphoma, I was thankfully covered quite well by HCA as I had been employed there for over 8 years. When my short term ran out in February of 2015, my daughter was still in high school and I went on the long term disability I had paid for through Allsup with Prudential Insurance. I moved in with my sister that summer as we lost our home.

My daughter wanted to remain with her grandmother. She filed for separate government disability for the 3 months she qualified for while in high school, completely independent of me. I had to pay Prudential back for that money. I just don't understand that at all. I never saw or benefited from that money. They just quit paying. Worthless company. The only good thing is they do all your paperwork for government disability, but they only do that to recover the money they've sent to you. Seems like what they do should be illegal.

Original review: April 29, 2016

Paid for years expensive premiums through JPMorgan & Chase disability benefit. They cancelled me after a few months and never paid more than 50.00 per month because State of California (my money I contributed since I was 14...) paid me. The minute the state exhausted funds they stopped their offset of 50.00! ...I made 6 figures the majority of my life. They are a complete rip-off and hopefully will be taken care of with the new Presidential Administration. The people that work there are criminals and liars. They take our hard earned money for premiums and when we need it, they fight you. Please boycott this company.

Prudential expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Prudential has been offering insurance for over 140 years. It currently has offices in Asia and Europe as well as in both North and South America.

• Offers group insurance: Users can purchase insurance through their employers.

• Offers rehabilitation services: Users can get assistance with healing and getting back to work.

• Offers partial benefits: People who can do some work but can't return to their full job duties may be able to get partial benefits while back on the job.

• Can help employers with site modifications: Users can get assistance with getting modifications at work so that they can continue to perform jobs following the onset of a disability.

• Paycheck deductions: Employees can have premiums deducted automatically from each paycheck prior to getting paid.

• Best for: People with a chronic condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky