Prudential Disability Insurance
1.16/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Prudential Disability Insurance

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Prudential Disability Insurance Reviews

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I’m going to go into detail. But if you are seeing this about Prudential believe me they are true. I paid out of my pocket for disability insurance for over 20 years through my place of work. Did not they had just switched to Prudential. It was a nightmare. Now that I have social security disability prudential. Called and wants to talk about overpayment from them.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I am an educator and PURCHASED this policy which was "kindly" offered to employees (at a hefty monthly premium) under the guise of "INCOME PROTECTION" while you are out. WHAT A JOKE!! PRUDENTIAL HAS A RELATIONSHIP WITH THE NJEA! What a scam It's should be a "LOAN POLICY" as they use offsets going backwards instead of just forward if you are approved for SSDI and/or retirement. You are living off of peanuts while out on medical, they FORCE YOU TO FILE FOR SSDI AFTER ONLY 5 MONTHS OF BEING OUT BUT at not charge they have ALLSUP do it for you at no cost but you must pay them what you receive! Same with disability retirement! Why is there not a class action suit against them? How do their employees sleep at night lying and harassing insureds. WE all have the same experience here so how do they continue?

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I am an educator and a cancer survivor. This insurance was offered by the school district for employees. I paid into the plan monthly. I went out on FMLA leave in June of 2019 due to ongoing chronic pain and other health issues. I have submitted volumes of objective test results and medical documentation from four specialists. As the prior reviews on this site state, Prudential doesn't pay! They take your money, but do not pay! The claims manager they act like they're your friend and have your best interest at heart but they do not and are useless! They have "examiners" that are unqualified to make a decision on my type case.

For example, you don't call a plumber to look at a transmission! They sent my paperwork to multiple "examiners" and none of them properly interpreted my test results. They skim through your medical records and take certain sentences then copy/paste into a letter and try to put a spin on the information to make it lean to what they want. They also wrote my doctors with the information that they copy/pasted from my records and asked my doctor's to sign and "agree with the Prudential examiner". The content of some of the information was outside the scope of my doctor's specialty.

The letters Prudential sent to my physicians are poorly written and they have the audacity to tell my physicians (who are all specialists in their fields) that they are wrong about their diagnosis/prognosis and my subsequent care!! Who does that?!! Prudential's hope is that I will give up. Prudential will try to make you look like you're a fake and a hypochondriac! It is companies like Prudential that is what is wrong with this country when it comes to health insurance. For two years I paid into this LTD company that is not there for its subscribers! So, now I have NO income and have to file an appeal! I will not be returning to work in the classroom as I am considered permanently disabled by my physicians. Prudential LTD not an insurance policy. It is robbery without the benefit of a weapon!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

If I can give them a zero I would. After asking for an extension for my short term disability due to the fact that I have spine problems and I can't walk. They deny the claim even though I submitted all my doctors documents stating the same thing. I am not able to perform my duties at work. My claim manager left a note on the system stating that she called me and left me a voicemail stating that I was denied an extension which was a big lie. She never did called me. Awful company.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

After exhausting my Std, which handled very well, I have had a VERY difficult time. Received a call from my case manager today stating my claim expires the end of month as they haven't received Doctor's information from most recent visit. It has been faxed to correct number and confirmed it went through more than once as well as emailed. Had requested a call that it was received. Didn't get one. No response from multiple voicemails left by my Doctor's office and myself. We shall see what. Between my health insurance company and this company....what have I been paying for? Have two stars only because this is the first month and hoping it will be resolved. If not, I'll be back to update number of stars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential?

Original review: March 7, 2019

Don't go by their website and professional behavior. The claims manager will be the hardest person in the world to communicate with. For us it was Austin **. But it is just not him, I believe it is the company policy and training to make sure they find ways to deny or cut short the claim. Replying after weeks, taking weeks to review, keeping you in dark, not clearly informing you until it's too late. The person is already disabled, needs to take extreme pain to call them, email, send documents, and then realize it's denied because they did not review document. They act like they are incompetent, but they are trained to behave like that to deny claims. People please sue them if you can if you feel you have been wronged. Keep records.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I have LTD coverage through my former employer. The short-term disability coverage went smoothly but the transition to Prudential for the long-term coverage has been a nightmare. I applied for the LTD about a month before my short-term coverage ended, expecting it to pick up where the short term policy ended. Wrong! When I inquired, Prudential promptly told me they had 45 days to make the decision. After 45 days, they told me they needed more time. I called once a week until they told me, "Oh. That claim was closed out. Didn't you receive the letter?" Well, no, I didn't. I made more calls only to hear, "What claim?"

It turns out that Prudential created a new claim number to give them another 45 days. That caused trauma for a while. Another 45 days pass and still no decision. It's one excuse after another. Finally, I called one day and the claim adjuster is on vacation. I talked to his manager. She looks at how long it had been going on and approved it immediately.

After a few weeks, I received the first check. Then comes the barrage of paperwork to prove that I am still disabled. I might receive a request, for example, to fill out a daily activities report. Two weeks later, I might receive the same request. After every doctor's appointment, I must call them. If not, they will try to call me. I don't answer calls while driving. If you miss a couple of calls, I receive treating letters. If they request medical information and the doctor doesn't respond in their timeframe, they threaten to cut me off. The last time, I contacted my doctor's office, they told me that they had not received any request.

I had to go to the hassle of contacting Prudential to get them to make the request and follow-up several times to ensure it happens and Prudential gets a response. There's some crisis to deal with on a monthly basis just to maintain benefits. And, now I am coming up on two years. The rules have changed. I understand. It's part of the policy. If I can work any job according to Prudential, I must take it. One way or the other, I lose benefits.

I was forced to apply for disability, and after being terminated by my employer for not reporting to work for a period after being injured on the job, I didn't resist. About year or so later, I was approved for disability. My doctor still says I can't work. Prudential supposedly has a letter from my doctor saying I can work with limitations. With the right accommodations, I agree and that is how I filed for disability. After contacting a potential employer, I realize that no employer is going to make those accommodations, and apparently, SSDI agrees. Nevertheless, Prudential has outlined several jobs which it feels I can do. Under the short-term policy, I tried to return to work doing similar jobs. Some accommodations were made but were unsuccessful. The doctor took me out of work completely. Nothing has changed in that regard.

Now, I am faced with appealing Prudential's decision. I have zero confidence that it will accept an appeal before the world ends. Since I am also on workman's comp, Prudential pays out next to nothing already. But that will change once the doctor says he has done all he can do. The doctor is presently considering an operation that will prevent any possibility of working for six months or so. As long as I am covered, Prudential will have to pick up where WC ends, so it is still important. It is also important to keep my family on insurance until I am covered by Medicare. Yeah. I know. COBRA is extended by 11 months once I go on disability. That's another battle. In the meantime, I will lose insurance coverage if Prudential says I am no longer covered. It's time to hire a lawyer and share my benefits. Thanks, Prudential for making my life a living hell.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I applied for disability two years ago when I was diagnosed with Lupus, migratory arthritis and Fibromyalgia. My doctor told me I was going to go downhill quickly and prepare for the worst. This is a benefit paid for 1/2 by me and the other 1/2 by my employer. I took comfort in the fact that I had this insurance, I would have one less worry...WRONG! They declined me immediately! They said I had a sedentary position, even though my body was swollen all over, my hands and feet were twice their size. I had an allover body rash, I was losing gobs of my hair and had dropped 15 lbs, yet I should still be able to work.

I was told to appeal. They declined me again. The process took so long I lost all my savings, my home, my car and I became homeless. Still nothing, they claimed I should be able to work. I lost all credibility with my employer, they thought I was faking even though SEVERAL doctors agreed I could not perform my job. Out of desperation, which they count on, I had no choice but to try to work. I made it another 1 1/2 years until I had another breakdown. Here we go again...

They paid me for 30 days and told me I should be happy I got that much, seriously? A team of doctors (specialists) agree I should not be working. My employer had their head of HR contact the rep for our company. He told her they would not want me at work this way. If I came to work they would send me home. Still nothing, declined and I must appeal.

Then I had chest pains and went to the ER, I thought I was having a heart attack from the stress, not the case. I passed gallstone. When they did the scan to see this they found a tumor in my chest. Still nothing, I must appeal. I called my rep, Daniel ** asking "How sick do I have to be before my illness is taken seriously"? He said he would review and get back to me asap. Somehow he heard me say "I was terminal". They know from my medical records I am not! He put this in his notes on my case.

I called in to check on the review and the operator said, "I'm so sorry to hear you are terminal," WHAT? These are the people who have ALL my medical records, do they know something I don't? I called my doctors immediately. I waited two very long hours for a call back, no nothing indicated I was terminal. I called back and requested Daniel's supervisor, they apologized that Daniel "misunderstood me". Are you kidding? I spent 2 hours of hell waiting, I am already very ill, this almost put me over the edge. In speaking to the supervisor's supervisor I indicated I was ready to be done, they decline people to the point of desperation, toy with people's lives. He took this as a threat to my life and called the police. They tracked me down to do a well check. Are you kidding me?

How can they get away with this? I am going to appeal again, according to the law I can't sue them until I exhaust my appeals. This process is long and they count on you running out of money and becoming desperate, trying to go back to work. This is SO wrong, shameful they are allowed to do this to people. I am very ill! I have been to the Dr. 17 times, several specialists later they say I should not be working. Prudential's 'clinicient' someone who has NEVER examined me overrode my TEAM of Dr's stating there is not enough medical evidence to support my inability work.

I would not simply give up a 6 figure salary to collect $1500.00 a month in disability and lose everything I have. This company is nothing but crooked! Don't trust them. Their slogan - you hear it over and over when you call them: "Prudential, where together we can turn challenges into opportunities". I add TO SCREW YOU OVER to the end of that sentence! Someone needs to do something about these people. Watch YouTube videos, there is a recent case where Social Security granted benefits and Prudential would not...that says quite a bit, they are RUTHLESS LYING CHEATERS!!!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

This is a DISHONEST company. I had the short term disability insurance through my employer, am a registered nurse, in ICU. I survived a horrific car accident in August. Returned to work a week later. In October, I had a detached retina, which occurred in the accident but was not diagnosed until I had no sight in my left eye. I was immediately put on bedrest and took FMLA. I had s total of THREE surgeries, and have been off work over 2 months. I've had to fight every day to get sporadic checks from them. I PAY FOR THIS INSURANCE, IT WAS NOT PROVIDED BY MY EMPLOYER FOR FREE. I have paid premiums for 25 years, to be treated like a dog. One rep actually asked me if I was receiving physical therapy!! FOR MY EYE!

So, I am back at work and they still owe me 8 days of pay. Now they are trying to actually LIE, and say my doctor said I could return to work on the 22, not the 28. Why? So they get out of paying me for those 8 days. I think not. I will get my money, if I have to file a suit to get it. Beware of this company and their dishonest practice. These people are just STRAIGHT ROBBING THE CONSUMERS. DO NOT USE PRUDENTIAL. THEY DO NOT CARE IF YOUR CHILDREN STARVE.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Do NOT USE THIS company! I have had 2 surgeries and nothing but problems getting my short term disability. They do everything they can to not pay people. They still owe me money. They also changed my approval date! If you can avoid them please do so! I’ve had such a struggle while I’m trying to recover! Customer service are just messengers! My doctor literally had to call this company and demand to know why her physical assessment wasn’t credible to them! How can they try to override my primary physician! What a JOKE.

Prudential expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Prudential has been offering insurance for over 140 years. It currently has offices in Asia and Europe as well as in both North and South America.

• Offers group insurance: Users can purchase insurance through their employers.

• Offers rehabilitation services: Users can get assistance with healing and getting back to work.

• Offers partial benefits: People who can do some work but can't return to their full job duties may be able to get partial benefits while back on the job.

• Can help employers with site modifications: Users can get assistance with getting modifications at work so that they can continue to perform jobs following the onset of a disability.

• Paycheck deductions: Employees can have premiums deducted automatically from each paycheck prior to getting paid.

• Best for: People with a chronic condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky