Prudential Disability Insurance

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was approved for the minimum possible coverage for my maternity leave. I kept calling two months prior to my claim being active so as to make sure everything was in order. Not one rep called me nor did I receive a letter in the mail station by my coverage, dates of claim in place, nothing. I got an email about logging in into my online account but the site under my account was empty; they did not input anything. I spoke with a claims supervisor and she was completely useless. I have had this so called insurance for 5 years and have been paying per paycheck. Such a waste of my time and money. Complete joke!!!

HORRIBLE. FILED in MAY. They have delayed and delayed with one excuse or another and finally have given me a disallowed status even though I have a clear documented case and I have filed a new case pending for social security disability. Do not use this company. Do not purchase this insurance. Why they are allowed to do this to people is beyond me. I have lost my vehicle, facing eviction, can't pay my bills and currently doing everything I can just to make ends meet.

Recovering from surgery. Short term disability being utilized. I am going back to work but the recovery for this is 3 months. They worry you to death with paperwork and updates. How can you get better when you are worried sick that you are not going to be paid. They are horrible. Again, this is just short term disability being used through my employer. I have NEVER been sick and when I finally need them they make my recovery a pain in the rear end.

I'm an RN and have paid for LTD for many years. In September 2014, I was diagnosed with Lymphoma, I was thankfully covered quite well by HCA as I had been employed there for over 8 years. When my short term ran out in February of 2015, my daughter was still in high school and I went on the long term disability I had paid for through Allsup with Prudential Insurance. I moved in with my sister that summer as we lost our home.

My daughter wanted to remain with her grandmother. She filed for separate government disability for the 3 months she qualified for while in high school, completely independent of me. I had to pay Prudential back for that money. I just don't understand that at all. I never saw or benefited from that money. They just quit paying. Worthless company. The only good thing is they do all your paperwork for government disability, but they only do that to recover the money they've sent to you. Seems like what they do should be illegal.

Paid for years expensive premiums through JPMorgan & Chase disability benefit. They cancelled me after a few months and never paid more than 50.00 per month because State of California (my money I contributed since I was 14...) paid me. The minute the state exhausted funds they stopped their offset of 50.00! ...I made 6 figures the majority of my life. They are a complete rip-off and hopefully will be taken care of with the new Presidential Administration. The people that work there are criminals and liars. They take our hard earned money for premiums and when we need it, they fight you. Please boycott this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential?

I qualified, through my employer, in Jan 2016 for Disability Insurance through Prudential. I filled out all necessary paperwork, continue to give them updates about my condition, and have gone as far as tracking down doctors I saw in 2014 and sent in records in order to prove my need for neck surgery is not related to any preexisting conditions.

I continuously call and my "case manager" is NEVER available to speak... leaving me speak to customer service representatives who are nothing more than glorified message takers. I even once returned a call 30 seconds after I received it (while in the hospital) and was unable to get in touch with my "case manager." The representative I spoke to claimed the case manager was no longer in the office when I had literally just missed a call from her within the prior minute.

I have gone above and beyond to provide every piece of invasive medical records Prudential has asked for and am either told it's not enough or that they did not receive it at all. It is now close to May and I have received continuous Extensions for "further investigation." Meanwhile, in the past 5 months, I have had to sell my car, sell my furniture, and move in with my mother because I cannot afford rent or food. I am baffled by how this is legal. I can't pay medical bills that need to be paid yet during my employment Prudential happily deducted money from my check for Long Term Disability insurance! I am at a loss of what to do. It is a shame this company is allowed to operate in such a soulless way!

I currently on short term disability. For over a week my case manager contacted me claiming they still needed information to extend my claim. After providing requested information to both her AND a customer service representative I was notified they still haven't received the information. I called today to give them the information for a 3rd time. I was then notified I would not receive my benefits for this period because they were waiting on information from me... which they had for a week now. I have 2 small children, house payment, car payment, and student loans to pay. Very rude, unprofessional, and uncaring. I almost feel like my case manager did this out of spite. Shameful.

I quit working for Mercy Hospital after 35 years due to MS. The parent company is CHI. I was approved for LTD August of 2015. In October I withdraw my pension from CHI. I am 59 years old. In January of 2016 I was informed by Prudential that I cannot have my pension and disability (it was less than 50,000) so they are going to deduct the amount of my pension from my disability check and by the way I need to pay 2700.00 to cover the last 3 months of payment. It was my pension and now it is prudential's. I was never informed of this when I withdrew the money. So if you work for a company and prudential is their LTD company don't use your retirement if you go on disability.

I have been battling with this company and their third party (Allsup) for an accurate assessment of monies they say I owe resulting in my Social Security Disability Claim approval. I was quoted 1/2 doz or more numbers from either party VERBALLY only. At my own initiative, I used their own pamphlet to create a spreadsheet and paid them less than 30 days. To date they continue to hound me for more money--each time advising they made errors and changing their $$ amount due in each correspondence to a higher number. I have not had the same person handle a response twice. This has been stressful to say the least. Further, they have issued a 1099 to me without a resolution to this matter (which was from 2014)! Poor, poor, poor.

I worked at a large company for 20 years and became disabled due to encephalitis. When you become disabled from the government your children can collect disability also. That's when the trouble starts with Prudential. They count that as your income and I got an overpayment statement for 55,000.00. I did not know it counted for your whole family. I thought it was just for my salary. Now how can I pay back that much and only receiving ssd from the government? I have to live also. Prudential does not care. I BET THEIR WORKERS GET SOME KIND OF KICKBACK IF THEY SAVE PRUDENTIAL MONEY. WARNING: DO NOT PURCHASE.

I had Prudential Disability Insurance through work. I paid in for 30 years. I had triple bypass surgery and after surgical failures and a staph infection which required four open chest surgeries where they removed most of my sternum and I developed a large hernia under my ribs which over time has split my sternum almost in two and I have lost the integrity of my rib cage which moves constantly which causes great pain frequently. I have also had several hernia surgeries in the past which are coming apart also.

It is normal for my BP to go sky high 175/120 last time it was taken. I can barely function most of the time. Two doctors, a general medicine doctor (my primary care doctor originally) and the head of cardiovascular surgery at a very large and well known health system have supported my disability from the beginning and this was ignored by Prudential. I lost my job and benefits in 2014 and started receiving benefits from Prudential.

Right from the beginning the threats of cutting off my benefits began. They actually did cut me off once without notice because they said my doctor didn't fill out a paper they wanted. I grieved the action through HR at work and they paid but only after ignoring my calls at least 10. They caused me nothing but stress and worry constantly. Ten different people must have called me over time about my case. I never knew who they were most of the time. I had a rep which I kept informed about all aspects of my case, usually I had to leave a message because there was no answer.

Today I received a call from someone else I never heard of who tells me I will be cut off April 1st. They tell me I can work. They identified three jobs in my profession that they say I could do. Two of these jobs I have never heard of after 30 years in the field. If I cannot get my SSA disability benefits this will put me on the street. I guess I fall under the two year rule. They don't care how sick you are, they just want to end your claim. It has taken this long because of losing my benefits and health insurance I had to go to the VA and have to go through all my appointments with the services all over again. Do yourself a favor, don't get mixed up with this company. They don't care about you and will make your life even more miserable. I know, believe me.

I made the unfortunate decision to have "Prudential Disability Insurance" as a teacher. I have them to be nothing but "liars" and that they will do anything to get out of paying a claim. They will be glad to take your premium payments, but do not expect them to pay you when you become "disabled" and need help. It makes me just so sick to see the way they have treated me. DO NOT DEAL THIS COMPANY. It is the WORST!

I am disabled. Per the government, I paid Prudential LTD extra for almost 26 years to get 65% of my salary before I became disabled. Now 2 years into LTD they say I owe them $30,000.00 in over payment as per my contract. On Sept 20 I received a letter stating if I don't pay the entire amount by October 1st I'll being cut off totally. No information about discussion about wrong numbers used to make this determination. Nothing to help me. Don't bother with buying LTD because it's not going to help you thrive if you become disabled. Save the money yourself!! Prudential and I'm very sure other insurance companies are in with legislators hacking the laws to suit the corporate entity. Insurance companies should have no rights to my Government disability. Meaning I'm paying Prudential to take what I paid into SSID for almost 40 years? Who knowingly would do this?

After 25 years with a big company my husband was terminated after a rotator cuff surgery. Back at work, tore rotator cuff, another surgery. Eight months early Prudential stops paying him. Even Dr said he's not able to work.

I paid on one of Prudential's expensive "own occupation" policies for about 30 years. When I got sick I made a claim. I have a condition that causes many symptoms. Some of the most debilitating are cognitive difficulties, chronic fatigue, joint and muscle pain, itching, diarrhea. These symptoms come on without warning and can keep me in bed for days. They can not be effectively controlled with medications. I am a professional and not knowing how I will feel day to day or if I will be able to think clearly prevents me ethically from doing the work I was trained to do for the last 30 plus years.

My doctors determined that I was disabled for my job and Prudential agreed to pay. I spoke to an attorney when I filed and he said that Prudential would do what they always do and pay me for two years and then quit paying me, finding any excuse they can to deny the claim at that time. That is in fact what they did. Now I am left with no income. Thanks Prudential. It should be against the law to do what you are doing. Insuring against disability and then not coming through in a person's time of need. I trusted that I was completely insured for any disaster but Prudential does not deal honestly with their insured.

I was lied to by both my claims manager and her supervisor. They did a 6 month check with my neurologist who said I was still unable to work. I was to get the difference as per my policy per the supervisor after I got SSD benefits. Now they're telling me no. Case is closed and I can appeal. Which I definitely will. Do not believe what they tell you. They are lying and don't care. They have the proof they needed and still closed my claim which is a benefit to me!!! I just had brain surgery again too. They are liars. Do not use Prudential for your long term insurance, especially companies. They will find a way to pacify you then take everything!!!

It's been over 6 months from 03 March 2015 that I've been injured and still haven't received a payment from Prudential - been paying in for over 17 yrs and nothing. Always need a new form filled out or still working on it. No calls, no contact - same old story. They take your money but refuse to pay you. It's a scam, very rude and almost like a pyramid scam.

I have been on disability for over 12 months but now the company states they believe I can get a job sitting. My cardiologist will not clear me to work in any capacity and states he sent the paperwork in to this effect. The company rep states she only has notes and not a "form" she sent to his office twice. I depend on this money in addition to my social security disability payments to survive. I will not be able to pay my bills or buy food without this money. I have had to continually prove I am unable to work as if my condition has improved. It has not.

I am a 62 year old female working in the technology industry. I have works for major companies for 43 years and remained a high performer throughout my career. I have never filed a disability or workman's comp in all this time. As things will go, I filed a claim for short term disability and Prudential is the disability carrier that represents my company. They initially approved and paid my STD benefits, but abruptly denied them for failure to secure medical records. I personally provided to my "Authorization to release of medical records" on multiple occasions, however these requests were never submitted to my medical provider. I provided approved copies directly to my healthcare provider, but Prudential never requested the medical records.

Upon appeal, I personally received my medical records, to include all doctor’s notes, tests, diagnosis, medical plan, etc. I received medical records from all doctors that I had seen, including my prior health history, to provide proof that there was no pre-existing condition for all doctors who have treated me. Even with all my medical records and certification of disability from two doctors, Prudential denied my application for short term and long term disability. No reason has been provided to me for this decision and I have filed a complaint through the California Insurance Commission. This is completely unacceptable conduct, which represented harassment and taking advantage of a senior citizen, at a time of vulnerability and weakness due to my continued health issue.

I am sorry to hear that I am not alone. Let me just say this, when you are disabled there is reason for that claim, you may not be well enough to run around to doctors and pay for reports every month. You may be shut in and unable to even comprehend the politics of getting payment for a claim. Getting paid on a claim should not be work. It is a form or replacing an income when you can not work. I was more stressed at home hunting down doctors notes than on the job that put me out in the first place. Prudential would not be an LTD insurance of choice if I knew when they visited my office what I know today.

They waited way too long to pay on the claim and reviewed every month requesting additional doctor’s information. The hospitals and doctors sent them the information and the claimed they never received it. They held off paying me for two months because they needed additional information and then they sent me a letter saying it was my responsibility to ensure that they received this documentation. Yes they provide service with a smile, but they are the only ones smiling.

The representative had me crying on the phone and all she could say was she was sorry but would not extend benefits till she had all she needed. I signed up for a program I believed would take me out to retirement if I became ill. Boy was I ever wrong, I could no longer work due to my condition and they dropped me like a hot potato. The representatives don't tell you these things when they come out to get your money. Maybe I just don't understand LTD law.

These people need to be held accountable for what they put people through. January 2014, I endured septicemia when a disc in my back became toxic. I went through it all. Organ failure, multiple mini strokes, open heart surgery to repair 2 heart valves due to the infection, pacemaker placed - endured a medically induced coma, and spent 5 months in a rehab facility before I was allowed home. July 2014 I wanted to try and regain control of my life, against doctor’s orders reluctantly he let me return to work part time, Prudential still "reviewing" the case - October 2014 they denied me even though I had not returned back full time. By November 2014 I was on medical leave again - my body and mental capacity just wasn't strong enough. January of 2015 my doctor placed me on total and permanent disability - that I could no longer work.

Reopened my case to fight the 1st denial. By March they were still telling me that they were waiting on my doctor’s information as it had not been received - my doctors submitted 3 times! My Thoracic surgeon sent them a 290 page transcript, my cardiologist sent records, everything but my DNA - (Oh and let’s not forget that when I called to check the status, they had ALL my medical information incorrect and I had to correct them - because they can’t get their facts straight.) I was supposed to get a final work by March 30 2015 - At the 11th hour - Oh no... We don't have enough information NOW. You need to see a Neuropsychologist because there is no mention of strokes in my medical records. All this information was included in the 290-page transcript from my Thoracic Surgeon alone and my doctor. They took an additional month to schedule this exam.

May 1st, I saw their so called IME - "Independent Medical Examiner". Another month later - today actually - they tell me that their so called IME they sent me to could find no evidence of stroke and that all my "mental and cognitive" functions were normal - Well not to bore with details - I know for a fact they are not normal and lost a lot of mobility on my right side and lost my vision in my right eye... But to them I’m Normal... Their reason for denial - I went back to work in July for a short time - and their IME found nothing wrong with me. They told me what my dollar amount a month would be - Bottom line is they don't want to pay out all the back retro pay they owe me.

These people will stall and stall and stall and make you jump through every hoop imaginable and then deny you. So now I have the daunting task of letting my lawyer deal with them - while I await SSDI on top of it. I paid into this benefit and now I can’t use it when I need it?? REALLY?? These people are crooks and lie just so they can keep their bank accounts lined while the rest of us who are in dire need suffer at their hands. Totally disgusted with these people. Can’t wait until my lawyer gets ahold of them!

Prudential outsourced my account to a company named EMSI. They kept insisting they didn't get my medical release form, I bet I sent in that form 4 times. I had a letter from Prudential dated April 2, 2015 stating they had received my medical records but EMSI started hounding me May 5. UNBELIEVABLE!!! I finally sent an email to EMSI & the ConsumerAffairs with a cc to my benefits coordinator. The next morning at 8:15, they found my release and problem solved.

The worst experience of my life. A scam is the legal? Today is April 26 and I filed December 4th and got an answer approved and started getting payments for 1 month, then updates needed from my doctors. My case have remained in pending status since last of January. No update as to whether I have been approved or denied. Every time I call for updates it is the same things, we need this or that. They have my medical records from all doctors, and still insist on more records or I've had to call my doctors and have the re-fax medical records over and over.

Then they said my pharmacy hasn't sent my records. When I call my pharmacy, they gave them a call to see what extra they needed but Prudential stated they needed nothing more, and went back to stating they needed records from my doctor, when I told them the time frame they are requested I did not go to the doctor, still my records states pending. They take sick people and play the runaround game with them. This company is a joke, pass on anything from them and save your money. Maybe it will help out in your time of need.

Updated on 05/14/2015: After 4 months of run around, saying they needed additional doctor's information, needed more RX records nothing have me wait 10 days and then starting all over with the run around, they finally called and said they did not approve the short term. What a company. They are just a joke. When you are down, unable to help yourself due the health issues, they will not stand by what they promised when taken out the insurance. So people if your company is offering short or long term disability with Prudential, help yourself, and keep that money in your pocket because you will need it if you get sick. The President states we have to have insurance but companies like this are allowed to operate. Take your money and not give the service. What a world we live in. I would not even give Prudential a one rating. They are below standards.

I felt that I was alone on this journey. I was on LTD with Prudential for two years. I was recently denied. Well, I've been denied numerous times and have jumped through every hoop possible to have my denial overturned. They over turned them all except for the last, which is the big one... after two years! Their rationale for denying me was absolutely ridiculous. They claim that I am able to work, but I no longer have the use of my arm to do any job without causing further injury to myself or others. I have migraines weekly and can't take pain meds because they trigger depression.

I've had all test to confirm the damage to my shoulder and arm (permanent nerve damage as well as stretched nerves). The damage causes chronic pain. I can't recall sleeping more than 4 hours any night over the past 2 years. I can't drive using my right arm, I can't raise my arm past my shoulder, I can't pick up anything with any amount of weight, I can't put a belt on and I can't wipe using my arm after I evacuate my bowels.

Prudential came up with every reason to deny me, which I disputed with validation. They simply created more things to continue with the denial. It was laughable. I refuse to continue to play nice. They don't care about me (although they received their premium monthly with no problem) and I certainly refuse to care about them any longer. It is a travesty that these companies are allowed to do this to folks that truly need them. They are corporate crooks. They see only their bottom line and not the needs of the folks that have built their business into a formidable corporation.

I, for one, am tired of being abused by big brother. Hopefully, my lawyer can make them feel as crappy as they have made me and my family feel. They don't care that we can lose everything we own. I don't care that they are going to be sued. Prudential, you should be ashamed to treat your customers this way, but sadly you are not. I will NEVER use Prudential as my insurance carrier again. EVER!

Without a doubt the worst experience of my life. I wish I would have never signed up for this scam and I feel ripped off. I would highly suggest not purchasing this insurance because they will only find a way to drag out your case. I have had two people lay a bunch of crap on me trying to appease me long enough to get me out of their hair and also drag this out. I paid into this scam with the expectation it would be there if or when I needed it, I hoped I wouldn't need it but unfortunately and unexpectedly I did. I had the false sense of security that if I did need it I could count on it since I can not miss a pay period. They sure as hell did miss taking their money out of my check!!!

Today is March 28 and I filed January 27th and still no answer as to whether I have been approved or denied. This experience has taken so long that I have to assume they are going to deny my claim. When I call it is still pending! They have my medical records and still insist on more records. Now they are say they haven't received paperwork I sent to them back in January. They say my pharmacy hasn't sent my records yet. My pharmacy said that they sent the records when the records were requested plus they have all of my records from my doctors which has all the copies of the prescriptions I was given!!!

To make matters even worse, I can no longer afford to keep my health insurance payments (since I am not working I have to pay for what was deducted out of my paycheck) which means I now can not afford to go back to my doctor to complete testing or to get released to go back to work when my leave is up or afford my prescriptions. I am in such dire financial straits that I have had to beg my landlord to give me time to catch up on my rent with late fees which I can not afford. My lights are going to be shut off and I know my phone is going to be shut off. I am having to use a neighbor's internet service (with their permission) just to write this complaint!

This is a huge ripoff and I would suggest going with another company or if you feel you must pay into this scam, like I did, know that it will take forever and you will probably be denied! I despise this company. I think they ought to be put out of business and while I have access to internet and all of my social media accounts I am going to post every negative thing I can write about my experience with this company so that I can possibly prevent anyone else from going through what I went through. I will go on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google, linkedin, Ripoff Report, even Pinterest and any other outlet on which I can vent to let everyone know what they can expect from these crooks! Good luck to those of you with cases pending. I have given up and have resolved myself to the fact that I am not going to be approved and that I am going to go through a lengthy period of financial struggles until I can get this straight!

I had a stroke in January 2014 in which I lost my vision completely in my left eye. This was the last in a string of major medical issues which included heart attacks, strokes, TIA's, PTSD, lower back spasms and other problems I would rather not mention. I used up all my FMLA, then Short Term Disability. I had absolutely no problem with FMLA or my STD (which was with a different company other than Prudential), I filled out the paperwork for LTD well in advance of my STD running out so that the LTD would pick up where the STD left off. I filed my paperwork with Prudential along with Doctor statements and HIPPA forms that were needed for them to order my records. I was told that I would have a decision within four to six weeks.

At the end of the six weeks, I called Prudential and asked what was going on. They said that they needed a few more days. The following day, I received a phone call from a manager at Prudential who basically said that my paperwork had been misfiled and therefore, no work had been done on it. They said they needed additional time to conduct the review. The review was conducted and I was awarded LTD benefits. They informed me that I had to submit for Social Security Disability, which I already knew and had submitted the paperwork to Social Security. Approximately ten weeks after the start of my LTD benefits, my Social Security Disability was approved. Then Prudential stated that they were reviewing my claim and asked for additional information. I followed up with everything they requested.

I received my regular payment in January, 2015 and then in February I received a letter from Prudential stating that they felt that my disability was not severe enough to warrant continuation of benefits and therefore my LTD benefits were terminated. Even though my Social Security Disability was approved, they said that I did not meet their definition of disabled. They claim that there are still things that I am able to do. I have NOT been released by ANY physician to return to work in ANY capacity. Prudential said that I can file an appeal. Then they said that if the appeal is denied, I can sue them under ERISA. So, I am now stuck with only SSD to live on. I can't work. My condition has slowly been deteriorating and there is no hope in sight that I will EVER be able to return to the work force IN ANY CAPACITY.

I paid into LTD benefits while I was employed at my last job specifically to cover myself and my family if anything happened to where I could not work. So I would not have to try to live just off of SSD. So they took my money, have said that even though I cannot return to work, I no longer meet the requirements of LTD. I believe this company should be investigated and their license suspended. Common sense should say that if I am not allowed to return to work in any capacity, I HAVE to meet their definition of LTD.

I have had Prudental short term and long term disability for over 20 yrs. I have worked for my company HCA for 31 years. I am an RN. I am turning 61 this month. I have many lifetime diseases such as diabetes and fibromyalgia and others. I cannot do my job any longer. I am falling and have tremors in both hands and am in constant pain. And my blood sugars are very labile...even with insulin and compliance with my diet, it can drop into the 40's or jump to 500 at any time. My fingers and toes are completely numb.

Prudential has denied my short and long term disability saying there is no reason I can't do my job. I am a danger to myself and my patients. If I could work, making my 70,000 a yr, I would rather have that than the 24,000 Prudential would pay. I am now homeless and have no income. They said I could appeal again or sue them. I have paid 40-50,000 into this insurance and when I need it, they deny me. I am destitute and have no recourse.

Out of work to have hardware removed from ankle. Unable to drive or walk. Only 5 weeks post op... they cut me! Want more statements and such! I was out of work over a month before I started getting paid... got 3 checks for Nov and Dec... then they cut me off! Tried to tell them nothing changed! I still had stitches down both sides of my leg and ankle and they wouldn't approve my LTD! I've filed bankruptcy and now have no insurance. Can't pay my premiums! BROKE AND STUCK IN THIS POST-OP STATUS. Can't go to doctor to be released to work again...even if I could work right now!

I went out on disability due to severe short term memory loss caused by HIV encephalitis. I started with 6 months of short term disability without any problems (Prudential did not administer my short term disability). The insurance company required that I complete a major psychological test (8 hrs of psych testing) that showed that I had deficits and was eligible for going on Long Term Disability. Short Term Disability was a benefit for all employees, where Long Term Disability was an option where the employee paid the premium. I had opted to take this benefit at 60% of my salary.

After being on Long Term Disability for around a year (Prudential Insurance administered this benefit), Prudential required me to take another psych test & the report came back that "I did not try hard enough". Which was **, how can YOU not try hard enough on this type of examination???? My psychiatrist arranged for me to take yet another psych test & it showed that I indeed had significant deficits. This test was administered at John Hopkins Medical center.

Another benefit from the major pharmaceutical company I worked for was health care for life after 10 years of service if you were 55 or above. I was 56 when I reached the 10 year mark. 5 days before my 10th year anniversary, my case manager at Prudential called & told me my Long Term Disability was terminated the end of March . My 10 year anniversary was April 15. I was in essence fired from my job due to this psych test.

To me & others who know this information strongly believe that it was set up by the insurance company & probably someone within the Pharmaceutical company. My only option was to file an appeal. I was unaware but found out that there were law firms that specialized in this. I interviewed several of these firms & sent each one a copy of the psych report for their review. One of the attorneys I talk to informed me that they were aware of the psychologist and "he was a ** for the insurance companies".

Appealing this decision cost me $35,000, but in the long run was worth it. We won the appeal but it took about 10 months for Prudential to come to their decision. That was 10 months with my only receiving SS Disability benefits. That required me to deplete my saving & because of my memory issues & permanent disability made it impossible to seek other employment.

Prudential was so unethical that I can't see why they are allowed to stay in business. I would also love to know who within my company was responsible for encouraging Prudential to act this way!!!!! I hope that this information makes the Insurance Company Federal oversight company either make them pay a hefty fine or better yet put them out business.

I can start by them not giving proper info. Paperwork taking 2-3 weeks to get to me. My claims on the website are never updated. They couldn't input the correct day I started std. My claims manager is never available. I am waiting for my appeals info for over a week. If everything is so time sensitive I don't understand why they take forever to get you the info you need. They set you up to fail. They received a statement from one of my doctors and told me they never received anything. Very unprofessional handling of claims. I am hiring a lawyer and going to contact my local news station to investigate. They need to be ousted for this. They are playing with people’s lives and financials.

I am living with no food and heat as we speak because they won't approve my claim. I have been dealing with this issue for several years and finally broke down because I can't make it to work everyday and my medical problem is affecting every aspect of my life. Prudential is a joke and they should be ashamed of themselves for ignoring serious medical problems. Things like this make peoples lose it and do things that alter their life. I hope karma comes back to prudential.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Prudential has been offering insurance for over 140 years. It currently has offices in Asia and Europe as well as in both North and South America.

• Offers group insurance: Users can purchase insurance through their employers.
  • Offers rehabilitation services: Users can get assistance with healing and getting back to work.
  • Offers partial benefits: People who can do some work but can't return to their full job duties may be able to get partial benefits while back on the job.
  • Can help employers with site modifications: Users can get assistance with getting modifications at work so that they can continue to perform jobs following the onset of a disability.
  • Paycheck deductions: Employees can have premiums deducted automatically from each paycheck prior to getting paid.
  • Best for People with a chronic condition.

Compare Disability Insurance