1.17/5

100 Prudential Disability Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

After exhausting my Std, which handled very well, I have had a VERY difficult time. Received a call from my case manager today stating my claim expires the end of month as they haven't received Doctor's information from most recent visit. It has been faxed to correct number and confirmed it went through more than once as well as emailed. Had requested a call that it was received. Didn't get one. No response from multiple voicemails left by my Doctor's office and myself. We shall see what. Between my health insurance company and this company....what have I been paying for? Have two stars only because this is the first month and hoping it will be resolved. If not, I'll be back to update number of stars.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Don't go by their website and professional behavior. The claims manager will be the hardest person in the world to communicate with. For us it was Austin **. But it is just not him, I believe it is the company policy and training to make sure they find ways to deny or cut short the claim. Replying after weeks, taking weeks to review, keeping you in dark, not clearly informing you until it's too late. The person is already disabled, needs to take extreme pain to call them, email, send documents, and then realize it's denied because they did not review document. They act like they are incompetent, but they are trained to behave like that to deny claims. People please sue them if you can if you feel you have been wronged. Keep records.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I have LTD coverage through my former employer. The short-term disability coverage went smoothly but the transition to Prudential for the long-term coverage has been a nightmare. I applied for the LTD about a month before my short-term coverage ended, expecting it to pick up where the short term policy ended. Wrong! When I inquired, Prudential promptly told me they had 45 days to make the decision. After 45 days, they told me they needed more time. I called once a week until they told me, "Oh. That claim was closed out. Didn't you receive the letter?" Well, no, I didn't. I made more calls only to hear, "What claim?"

It turns out that Prudential created a new claim number to give them another 45 days. That caused trauma for a while. Another 45 days pass and still no decision. It's one excuse after another. Finally, I called one day and the claim adjuster is on vacation. I talked to his manager. She looks at how long it had been going on and approved it immediately.

After a few weeks, I received the first check. Then comes the barrage of paperwork to prove that I am still disabled. I might receive a request, for example, to fill out a daily activities report. Two weeks later, I might receive the same request. After every doctor's appointment, I must call them. If not, they will try to call me. I don't answer calls while driving. If you miss a couple of calls, I receive treating letters. If they request medical information and the doctor doesn't respond in their timeframe, they threaten to cut me off. The last time, I contacted my doctor's office, they told me that they had not received any request.

I had to go to the hassle of contacting Prudential to get them to make the request and follow-up several times to ensure it happens and Prudential gets a response. There's some crisis to deal with on a monthly basis just to maintain benefits. And, now I am coming up on two years. The rules have changed. I understand. It's part of the policy. If I can work any job according to Prudential, I must take it. One way or the other, I lose benefits.

I was forced to apply for disability, and after being terminated by my employer for not reporting to work for a period after being injured on the job, I didn't resist. About year or so later, I was approved for disability. My doctor still says I can't work. Prudential supposedly has a letter from my doctor saying I can work with limitations. With the right accommodations, I agree and that is how I filed for disability. After contacting a potential employer, I realize that no employer is going to make those accommodations, and apparently, SSDI agrees. Nevertheless, Prudential has outlined several jobs which it feels I can do. Under the short-term policy, I tried to return to work doing similar jobs. Some accommodations were made but were unsuccessful. The doctor took me out of work completely. Nothing has changed in that regard.

Now, I am faced with appealing Prudential's decision. I have zero confidence that it will accept an appeal before the world ends. Since I am also on workman's comp, Prudential pays out next to nothing already. But that will change once the doctor says he has done all he can do. The doctor is presently considering an operation that will prevent any possibility of working for six months or so. As long as I am covered, Prudential will have to pick up where WC ends, so it is still important. It is also important to keep my family on insurance until I am covered by Medicare. Yeah. I know. COBRA is extended by 11 months once I go on disability. That's another battle. In the meantime, I will lose insurance coverage if Prudential says I am no longer covered. It's time to hire a lawyer and share my benefits. Thanks, Prudential for making my life a living hell.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I applied for disability two years ago when I was diagnosed with Lupus, migratory arthritis and Fibromyalgia. My doctor told me I was going to go downhill quickly and prepare for the worst. This is a benefit paid for 1/2 by me and the other 1/2 by my employer. I took comfort in the fact that I had this insurance, I would have one less worry...WRONG! They declined me immediately! They said I had a sedentary position, even though my body was swollen all over, my hands and feet were twice their size. I had an allover body rash, I was losing gobs of my hair and had dropped 15 lbs, yet I should still be able to work.

I was told to appeal. They declined me again. The process took so long I lost all my savings, my home, my car and I became homeless. Still nothing, they claimed I should be able to work. I lost all credibility with my employer, they thought I was faking even though SEVERAL doctors agreed I could not perform my job. Out of desperation, which they count on, I had no choice but to try to work. I made it another 1 1/2 years until I had another breakdown. Here we go again...

They paid me for 30 days and told me I should be happy I got that much, seriously? A team of doctors (specialists) agree I should not be working. My employer had their head of HR contact the rep for our company. He told her they would not want me at work this way. If I came to work they would send me home. Still nothing, declined and I must appeal.

Then I had chest pains and went to the ER, I thought I was having a heart attack from the stress, not the case. I passed gallstone. When they did the scan to see this they found a tumor in my chest. Still nothing, I must appeal. I called my rep, Daniel ** asking "How sick do I have to be before my illness is taken seriously"? He said he would review and get back to me asap. Somehow he heard me say "I was terminal". They know from my medical records I am not! He put this in his notes on my case.

I called in to check on the review and the operator said, "I'm so sorry to hear you are terminal," WHAT? These are the people who have ALL my medical records, do they know something I don't? I called my doctors immediately. I waited two very long hours for a call back, no nothing indicated I was terminal. I called back and requested Daniel's supervisor, they apologized that Daniel "misunderstood me". Are you kidding? I spent 2 hours of hell waiting, I am already very ill, this almost put me over the edge. In speaking to the supervisor's supervisor I indicated I was ready to be done, they decline people to the point of desperation, toy with people's lives. He took this as a threat to my life and called the police. They tracked me down to do a well check. Are you kidding me?

How can they get away with this? I am going to appeal again, according to the law I can't sue them until I exhaust my appeals. This process is long and they count on you running out of money and becoming desperate, trying to go back to work. This is SO wrong, shameful they are allowed to do this to people. I am very ill! I have been to the Dr. 17 times, several specialists later they say I should not be working. Prudential's 'clinicient' someone who has NEVER examined me overrode my TEAM of Dr's stating there is not enough medical evidence to support my inability work.

I would not simply give up a 6 figure salary to collect $1500.00 a month in disability and lose everything I have. This company is nothing but crooked! Don't trust them. Their slogan - you hear it over and over when you call them: "Prudential, where together we can turn challenges into opportunities". I add TO SCREW YOU OVER to the end of that sentence! Someone needs to do something about these people. Watch YouTube videos, there is a recent case where Social Security granted benefits and Prudential would not...that says quite a bit, they are RUTHLESS LYING CHEATERS!!!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

This is a DISHONEST company. I had the short term disability insurance through my employer, am a registered nurse, in ICU. I survived a horrific car accident in August. Returned to work a week later. In October, I had a detached retina, which occurred in the accident but was not diagnosed until I had no sight in my left eye. I was immediately put on bedrest and took FMLA. I had s total of THREE surgeries, and have been off work over 2 months. I've had to fight every day to get sporadic checks from them. I PAY FOR THIS INSURANCE, IT WAS NOT PROVIDED BY MY EMPLOYER FOR FREE. I have paid premiums for 25 years, to be treated like a dog. One rep actually asked me if I was receiving physical therapy!! FOR MY EYE!

So, I am back at work and they still owe me 8 days of pay. Now they are trying to actually LIE, and say my doctor said I could return to work on the 22, not the 28. Why? So they get out of paying me for those 8 days. I think not. I will get my money, if I have to file a suit to get it. Beware of this company and their dishonest practice. These people are just STRAIGHT ROBBING THE CONSUMERS. DO NOT USE PRUDENTIAL. THEY DO NOT CARE IF YOUR CHILDREN STARVE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Do NOT USE THIS company! I have had 2 surgeries and nothing but problems getting my short term disability. They do everything they can to not pay people. They still owe me money. They also changed my approval date! If you can avoid them please do so! I’ve had such a struggle while I’m trying to recover! Customer service are just messengers! My doctor literally had to call this company and demand to know why her physical assessment wasn’t credible to them! How can they try to override my primary physician! What a JOKE.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Prudential completely lied about what my doctor wrote because I have a copy of what my doctor sent. They paid a hack doctor with no practice to write a letter with his opinion based on his inexperience with my condition and told my doctor to sign it and return it in ten days. My doctor would agree with their hack doctor that’s so technically and intellectually beneath her so they cut off my benefits. Why would my doctor agree with some doctor's opinion when he had no knowledge of my physical well being? They must be denying claims for their Christmas bonus and leave me without the ability to pay my Cobra coverage.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I am a 62 year old physician with epilepsy. When I became disabled from uncontrolled epilepsy, I too experienced the most incredibly callous interactions with the Prudential insurance company. Paid insurance premiums for 32 years faithfully, yet I have had to fight with this unscrupulous “business” over a period of five years — to receive my disability payment which are contractually due me. They are miniscule monies, and will be arbitrarily stopped in June 2019 without appeal. My LTD also had a “work in same specialty” (cardiology) clause. Ultimately, I was informed (by letter) that [the committee?] had determined that I could return to work, doing any sort of work. While all work is honorable, that was not the actual message. The message was: "get ready boy, you about to be outta our hair and off the payroll!!"

I have previously been the managing partner in a large cardiology practice, dealt with all sorts of contracts. And so, as a point of reference, know just how bad their stench is. The more detailed and determined I become to define the dishonesty, the more contentious and angry Prudential’s employees became. The decision making is governed by profit margins and accounting determinations of profitability. When compassion and honesty are absent. we have nothing from a societal perspective. Prudential employees hammered this message: that I am malingering and lazy. I worked full time as a cardiologist for 16 years with epilepsy, so I wasn’t gonna accept that message. For others suffering chronic illness...subjected to the same this same callous, malicious abuse...get the word out. Document events and keep records. Indeed, Prudential is violating contracts with patients.

It’s a multimillion dollar insurance scam, undoubtedly engaging in questionable business practices with predatory intent on patients and families. We buy disability insurance for income protection. There are many honorable & honest insurers. My advice would be to drop your STD and LTD policies with this company. Find an honest insurer. Protect yourself from insurance fraud and abuse. If Prudential doesn’t have patients paying premiums, they can’t make money. If they can’t make money, they can’t stay in business. Should illness befall you, never lose hope. Identify those people and businesses have a spiritual commitment to others, and who work off principles of compassion and integrity. There are lots of us good people out there. Lastly, do not let dishonorable actions from the Prudentials out there define who you are.

Actions which promote and maintain self esteem are the things that help us get better, not an LTD check issued begrudgingly. In that way, Prudential has given me a gift...some additional spiritual strength. They have reminded me that not everything comes in the form of a dollar bill or an insurance payment. Psyche protection is more important than income protection. I want to share my final experience with those cruel folks. I received “the call” to inform me no more payments and no appeal, and it just so happened the day after I had some serious seizure activity with injuries. I was on my way to the dentist to repair two teeth which were damaged and crushed during the seizure. I informed the guy that. His response to me was not one of concern. His response was, “Have a good afternoon”.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I had Short Term Disability with Prudential through my employer, and have received benefits, due to kidney failure. I was no longer able to work. I also have a separate policy for Long Term Disability, also with Prudential. After expiration of STD benefits, the LTD benefits were to take effect. The first month was a partial month, and I was to receive about 70%, but they only paid 47%. After several months of arguing, I finally got the missing 23% that Prudential wrongfully withheld. There was no apology for their ‘error’.

I was concerned what other possible ‘errors’ Prudential might have made, and discovered that, although the STD had continued through November 14, 2017, Prudential started LTD on November 2, 2017. Because I had STD income until November 14, Prudential would not pay LTD for that period. However, because LTD started Nov 2 instead of Nov 14 (expiration of STD), Prudential claims that LTD ends Feb 1 instead of Feb 14, 2018 (15 months per contract). By starting earlier than required, they are terminating early, and ripping me off for about half a month of benefits. I have argued this ‘error’ with Brenda ** at Prudential for several months, but she will not change. I wonder if there are any attorneys who specialize in this type of issue. I wonder if there is potential for class action; I suspect that this is an isolated case. This is how Prudential Insurance treats the elderly and disabled.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I WANT TO REACH OUT TO ALL OF DISABLED WHO HAVE BEEN DENIED YOUR LTDB'S! Let's stand together & make sure the rest of Americans know the truth!!! If they have insurance through Prudential disability!!!! Be aware now! Don't take any comfort in this benefit! They don't care about you! No promise that if you're covered you will get paid... If you end up unable to work they do not care! They will harass you, tell lies, make promises! They don't care!!! I'm mad! We all deserve to be treated with respect! To not have to worry every day is this the day I end up living in the street?? Will I have enough money to spread out to the next paycheck? We didn't chose to become disabled!!! We paid for our benefits all those years of working hard! I'm anger!

Someone I don't even know is sitting comfortably at a desk stuffing their faces. Having the ability to decide the rest of my life. Without ever meeting me in person! Or the "clinical team" sitting around a table flipping coins on who has to review the next claim? Not even reading last first paragraph to deny benefits. Prudential doesn't practice their side of the rules. Fair & honest handling of our claims in good faith! I want to be heard & attention brought to their dishonest, horrible treatment. They have chosen my fate. I want to tell & warn people. I deserve to be paid for benefits! Being told you are disabled is the worse words to hear!!! I felt lucky Prudential has approved & covered all 22 surgeries starting 2008-2016.

They have every claim file with doctor notes to show every surgery leading up to me becoming PERMANENTLY DISABLED. They sure did prove how lucky was!! At being a fool! They refused to go back to any other claims over 9 years!!! I was 100% Screwed over!! I had to prove to Prudential for years I'm DISABLED. Losing my great paying job, to receiving $850.00 a month after they denied & quit paying me. I had no voice in how this day ended with my doctor deemed me PERMANENTLY DISABLED never to return to any work environment. I feel like a criminal. I now have defend myself for becoming disabled. What has happened to our country? I'm sorry that this is what we all have to face. It is terrifying!

Prudential expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Prudential has been offering insurance for over 140 years. It currently has offices in Asia and Europe as well as in both North and South America.

• Offers group insurance: Users can purchase insurance through their employers.

• Offers rehabilitation services: Users can get assistance with healing and getting back to work.

• Offers partial benefits: People who can do some work but can't return to their full job duties may be able to get partial benefits while back on the job.

• Can help employers with site modifications: Users can get assistance with getting modifications at work so that they can continue to perform jobs following the onset of a disability.

• Paycheck deductions: Employees can have premiums deducted automatically from each paycheck prior to getting paid.

• Best for: People with a chronic condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky