Prudential Disability Insurance

Prudential Disability Insurance

4.0/5 (149 ratings)

About Prudential Disability Insurance

Prudential Disability Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential Disability Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential?

Original review: July 3, 2021

Ran into severe mental health issues. Prudential paid out both the STD and the LTD. They did apply some soft pressure disguised as help in the beginning to help me get back to work. Then they wanted another opinion besides my psychiatrist so they had me go to an 'independent' medical doctor. In my case he was a fair-minded person who came to the same diagnosis as my doctor. Prudential paid without issue. All in all they paid out in total about $400K. I don't know if I ever was under video surveillance but since the symptoms were real it would not have been an issue.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

The worst company ever for short term disability. They kept messing up my paperwork. Staff is very incompetent including claims manager. Nobody follows through. For example: If they receive a blank fax from a DR's office, they don't reach back out to them or to me so that I can reach out. Claims manager never calls you back. Anyone who’s on maternity/medical leave shouldn’t have to go through all this trouble to get paid. I have tried to speak to a manager or someone in charge and they won't let you, I can't get a phone number to the claims manager that is supposed to be working my claim. It has been over 14 business days since they received the last bit of paperwork they needed and my claim is still pending but nobody can tell me why.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2021

I started my claim with Prudential on 1/13/2021 for a scheduled procedure that was to happen on 1/20/2021, due to COVID 19 my surgery was rescheduled for 2/10/2021. All my information from my employer, myself and doctor's office is all in order. I called on the 2/4/2021 to verify that all my documents were in order and my claim was good to go and that call confirmed that all was in order.

I have plenty of approved time and I have been with my job for two years so I am eligible for STD and FMLA through Prudential. I had my surgery and when I at the beginning of recovering I log in to the online portal to see that my claim is still pending. This sets me on my journey of calling from 2/22 – 3/1/2021 to which no one has been able to resolve my issue. When I called on 2/22/2021 I was told that there was an internal error and there was nothing that could be done on my part to fix it but it had to be fixed with IT. Today is 3/1/2021 and I was told that my claim is now under QA and the only person that can look into it is my case worker. This is the same case worker that called me late on 2/26/2021 to tell me that IT has been in touch with her and that issue would be cleared up that day and that she would call me back.

At this point, I see that no on intends to call me or even care to resolve my issue. I have followed up with my employer and now I am filing a complaint here. I am not sure why only person in this multi-million dollar company is the only one that can speak to me or why a new claim could have not been restarted in the place of this ‘bad apple’ claim. You have the dates that I have been out of work and my bank is account is negative and I am unable to go to the grocery store. This is an absolute nightmare while I am trying to recover from my surgery, through a snowstorm, and a pandemic. Please know that people rely on the funds to supplement our income while we are out of work and you receive your money from the employer so why are your consumers left out in the cold?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

I was approved for LTD, on it about 3-4 months. I got approved for SSD. I’m 56 and have a Neuroimmune disease. They got their back pay back. I was only due like 20% of what I was getting due to SSD benefit. They sent my case to a really bad doctor to review. They disregarded my complete team of doctors and denied. I am in the process of hiring an Attorney to file appeal and then Lawsuit. I was a very competent Healthcare professional and if I could work part or fulltime I certainly would. This company is really a scam! My employers and myself had paid into this company 25+ years. No Ethics at all.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

The worst company ever for short term disability. They keep messing up my paperwork. Staff is very incompetent including claims manager. Will never pick this company for any kind of financial needs. Claims manager never calls you back. Anyone who’s on maternity/medical leave shouldn’t have to go through all this trouble to get paid.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

I have been on disability for several years now. I have epilepsy that causes uncontrolled seizures. I have proof that I have seizures, the cause plus a device implanted in my skull that records them. The device is a RNS. It catches almost all of them and records them. So I can prove I have at least 12 seizures a month. Simple right?? Uh no had to get a lawyer and still they are not happy. I now have a P.I. riding by my house taking pic. I have seen them plus all my neighbors have.

I take 13 pills a day for epilepsy, can't drive, have 12 seizures a month and these people still want to spy. Yes I do small odds and ends around house with wife or neighbors helping me in case I have seizure. I do as much as I can do with out endangered myself to much plus someone is there to watch me. I can't understand what this company wants. No job will hire a man with 8-14 avg. 12 seizures a month. I have memory loss, tired after a seizure, I have dropped stuff, burned myself. Broke stuff. But I try to keep my head up and do what I can do. Not with this company. Anything you do they use against you. Guess you have to be on your death bed for them not to harass you. My advice, use another company if possible, if you can't get a lawyer, and hope for the best.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

From day one they were trying to find different reasons not to pay you. This company should be shut down. Every time you bring them paper work they are requesting they will wait until a day before it’s due and ask for something else. I had the coronavirus like 4 months ago. Ever since then I have been having issues with shortness of breath. This moron his name is Donnie calls me yesterday and questions me about my dr then asked me if he was a dr why was his number disconnected and of course it was not. Then he hangs up in my face. Does not call back and last night I go online to my Prudential account this moron Donnie put this letter stating I have until 30 to get letters going. 1 month and a half or they deny my claim. Donnie ** that’s his name should fired. My attorney will be in touch.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I have been off of work since May 29th 2020 for a major concussion. I have received ONE payment. ONE. My doctor and I have jumped through every hoop and Prudential's canned response is “ok we will be in touch” BUT THEY DO NOT CALL YOU!! I have asked to speak to a supervisor numerous times and I’m convinced that they do not exist. No one can tell me what the issue is. No one can answer why my benefit is being delayed. This has been a horrible HORRIBLE experience having a traumatic brain injury and then to try and deal with a company so screwed up is just so wrong in so many ways. They should be shut down.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Ever since my company started using Prudential for its employees to go through for disability claims, it’s been a nightmare. I have had to use them at least 3-4 times to file FMLA (intermittent absences for existing health issues) and Short-Term Disability for at least two surgeries. Every time they manage to mess up my claims resulting in delayed paperwork. It NEVER gets done right the first time no matter how accurate and clear the information is that you give them. In many cases they use information never given to them (addresses, dates, phone or fax numbers).

Recently I had major surgery done. My company accurately entered the dates in question as January 14, 15, 16, 17 and 20 as my first 5 sick days already taken prior to the short-term disability starting. My recovery would be about 4-6 weeks total. The geniuses at Prudential entered my first sick day instead as a late day?? I was never late on the 14th. I literally called in sick, and my job had it recorded as such. In order to be “late” one has to actually come in at a later time than their scheduled time...wouldn’t you agree? I was never at work and I called in each of my sick days as directed by our contract. My job verified this with me days ago.

Today I get a call from Prudential claiming they have the 14th as a tardy, even though no such recorded status exists with my employer. Now someone please, tell me how is that kind of error is even possible??? This is the kind of service you can expect from Prudential on a regular basis. If you can avoid them...PLEASE DO. If you’re like me and your company was cheap about it and now you're stuck using them...my deepest condolences.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Prudential short term was mostly timely with one payment not made on time. Had to fight for that one. Now? LTD payments are NOT coming in a timely manner. Got one payment in December and now,January's is not coming until more than a month later! I have bills to pay! I need timely payments, not payments that are sent whenever they feel like. I will have late fees as a result! This is unacceptable. We paid for this as an optional insurance!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I got Prudential thru work. Have been w/ them since 2008. Received call that came up as prudential. Couldn't not understand the caller due to very thick accent and due my disability have cognitive issues. Returned the call several times. I am not allowed to get another person to speak to. Corporate told me to call back. Ask for stateside help. Again refused. I was transferred to my case manager on the 4th call and she told me they don't have any nurses that don't have accents due to fact all in the Philippines. Waiting for supervisor to call. I'm at a loss. I tried the dept to help disability issues. Transferred back. At a loss. If I don't talk to them I'm not compliant then do I lose my claim. I'm so upset. Don't know what to do.

Prudential author review by Matthew Brodsky

Prudential has been offering insurance for over 140 years. It currently has offices in Asia and Europe as well as in both North and South America.

• Offers group insurance: Users can purchase insurance through their employers.

• Offers rehabilitation services: Users can get assistance with healing and getting back to work.

• Offers partial benefits: People who can do some work but can't return to their full job duties may be able to get partial benefits while back on the job.

• Can help employers with site modifications: Users can get assistance with getting modifications at work so that they can continue to perform jobs following the onset of a disability.

• Paycheck deductions: Employees can have premiums deducted automatically from each paycheck prior to getting paid.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor