1.16/5

99 Prudential Disability Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

As a social worker who deals with this stuff, I was ready for a lengthy, painful process. I was pleasantly surprised. They were helpful with my part of the process, Patient with delays by some Drs and very pleasant whenever I called in with questions or concerns. I have been on LTD for 5 years now, and regular recertification has been similarly reasonable to accomplish. I have had many different agents, but they have all been on top of things, and interested and willing to learn about my rare disease. I would recommend this company for any employee LTD provider.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

They're in the business to take your money, not pay claims. Do not purchase from this company. As previously stated, they are in the business to take your money, not to pay fair and reasonable claims. Fraudulent business practices, lack of communication between departments and reviewers who do not, I repeat, do not have the claimants best interest in mind are common elements of this company. The reviewers will "forget" key medical documents existed, they will enlist outside sources to obtain information already received, they ignore claimants statements regarding their condition... Ultimately, they posture in hopes you will forget about your claim and not pursue it further. They are very quick to make a decision as their reviews have the company's best interest in mind.

My claim was so disorganized and incorrect that I called numerous times to convey the correct information, only to have the wrong information pop up again. They automatically converted my STD claim to a LTD claim and began to demand (yes, demand) medical records and employer statements after I returned to work. All necessary information was previously provided, yet they postured to "run the clock." My claim was denied, twice, but that won't stop me from escalating this to the highest level of accountability to ensure Prudential does not continue their fraudulent SOP's.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Received phone call from Prudential congratulating me that I was able to return to work after 10 years on disability. A doc that only gave me a injunction in my thumb somehow made an error on paperwork they filled out which the doc contacted Prudential and resubmitted new paperwork. Well next Prudential informed me that they needed look into my case more. Well after 2 weeks I was contacted and told that their decision stands. They admitted I can't perform my normal job duties but they found me a nice sit down job.

Get this I have no job experience for this job and besides that I can't work at any job I won't go into my health issues. I have doctors to prove them. Here's a question. Are there any attorneys out there that don't rob you worse than Prudential with their 5 to 7 year contracts stealing 33.333% of your disability money? That's right. They take 33.333% every month for the length of the contract.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I applied for LTD after exhausting my STD, was giving a Disability Consultant, then she was changed to another, filled out all the proper paperwork, provided all requested info, sent in all needed info, was sent a letter that they needed a 30 day extension. (They were waiting on EOBs) from an Insurance I didn't have at timeframe they needed, this was after I called 3 times and spoke to 3 Reps and they told me they didn't needed anything else. When I called my Consultant and told her this, her response was "I don't know what was said."

I asked her to pull recorded calls, she said "NO", she literally called me (the Customer) a Liar. So after 2 weeks of our conversation, she calls me to tell me that my claim was denied and that I could do my Job per National Job Expert. I went online and saw Letter she was to send me for DENIAL, and almost fell off my chair in laughter, because she copy and pasted all my medical records, she missed out vital diagnoses and had MRI date incorrect, Doctor Appt dates incorrect and even Meds incorrect... Being in the Medical Field, I could tell a Doctor never made this Denial Letter, the Rep did... These people are a joke!!!

Original review: June 6, 2018

Am getting the runaround now with them, have had lumbar fusion on my S1, L5 and L4 and 6 screws and 2 fusions, and also total right shoulder replacement, but they want separate paperwork for each surgery. They are just trying to bet people out of STD in my opinion. I will keep in touch to let you all know about my outcome.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential?

Original review: March 26, 2018

Both me and my husband out on LOA since Dec 6, 2017. I have gotten paid one time!! Delay in pay for benefit provided by employer and buy up by me. Getting the runaround. Feel like I am being watched. I am not a paranoid person, I pay great attention to detail!! Have not spoke to same person twice.

Updated on 04/03/2018: Been out on STD for 16 weeks now, going on 17. I have gotten 3 weeks of pay, I think. Who can fix this in a government position??? I need my money that is a benefit and something I contributed to. Please help me. I have contacted an attorney through email. Too much work there for me right now with my health that seems to be getting worse without my money!!!

Original review: March 12, 2018

I was diagnosed in Aug 2016 with breast cancer. I had every intention of returning to work after my mastectomy. After my mastectomy I developed chronic pain, Lymphedema and lost functionality on my left side. My employer fired me, they do not offer accommodations, and stated if I am not 100% unrestricted then I may not come back to work.

The claims adjuster calls monthly threatening to cut off my claim. She has numerous doctor reports that state the damage is permanent. I can’t raise my left arm above chest level, I can’t lift more than 5lbs. I need help pulling clothes over my head, cooking, cleaning etc. I homeschool and have 4 kids, she states that if I can take care of them I can work. I explain that they actually take care of me... she stated since I see a counselor then it’s now a mental case and they don’t pay mental. I stated no the counselor is helping me learn to accept my new damaged life.

I’ve been restricted from the website for 4 months and they have all kinds of excuses why they can’t fix my access. At the same time they place documents on the website I can’t access and I’ve requested they mail them. I feel these are deliberate tactics to say I’m not following thru. Luckily I keep a notebook of every phone call I ever made to them with names and numbers. I feel they are a highly suspect fraudulent company...

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I have been on LTD for almost 5 yrs now. Prudential has wrongfully cancelled my claim 2 times after having 3 major back surgeries and only able to do light duty part time work. They are going to cancel my claim because I can't find a job that will allow me to rest when needed due to my condition. The last time they cancelled me I lost my position with my company of 12 yrs. and they didn't care! I proved both times they cancelled my claim that it was wrongful and had 4 doctors behind me saying the same thing. They sent me to one of their doctors who said that I could work part time which I can but only if I'm allowed to lie down and rest as needed. Who will hire me like this? They just want me off LTD even though I am disabled through no fault of my own. I was making $120K a year before all this. Now I'm at poverty level!! Prudential has done nothing but harassed me from day one.

I got buried in credit card debt the last time they cancelled me and I went through the whole appeals process a second time which took almost 6 months. Who can lose over 40% of their income when you're already in the poverty range? Erisa Laws were supposed to be there to help workers not let them get "hosed" by the insurance companies!! When they cancel my claim again I can't sue them. All I can do is pay an attorney $5000 or more to take them to Federal Court to get a judgement for them to cease their actions and reinstate my claim. These insurance companies like Prudential bank on that people like me will go get any sort of job while fighting them to support their families and then thus proving I go do gainful employment!! So then I out tens of thousands in the long run and still disabled! I have had countless claims managers since this began and I think they get a bonus each time they cancel a claim and get away with it.

They have their "doctors" which are nurses look over your medical files and determine your claim on whether you can work, but when that doesn't work they send you to one of their doctors at a workers comp clinic to look at you, ask you some questions, and briefly review your medical records. Mine are like a 1000 pages long!! How can a doctor that's never treated you before or ever run any tests on you determine if you're even fit to return to gainful employment? They really can't!! I am beside myself in total disbelief they get away with this!!!

I did find out that the US Department of Labor is supposed to be there to help you and can go after disability Insurance companies, though not many people know this. Attorneys and the Insurance companies are banking on you not knowing this little bit of information by the way!! This system was made for Attorneys by Attorneys and the insurance companies have a whole bunch of them working for them, where the little guy can maybe afford one. You best find a good one if the US Dept of Labor doesn't help you!! Good Luck if your company has Prudential disability claim management services as their LTD carrier!! See you in the poor house!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

For 15+ years I paid into LTD through my employer. Back in October 2014 I filed a health-related LTD claim with Prudential Insurance which was handled through Allsup (their representative). For 2-1/2 years I pursued a disability claim through Social Security Disability related to this Long Term Disability claim. I was out on LTD for 24 month (the maximum that you are allowed on LTD). I had to give up my employment and received monthly payments from Prudential throughout this period. During the course of this LTD claim I filed with Social Security for Early Retirement. After 2-1/2 years my disability case went before a judge and I won my case. Social Security paid me a large sum of money for retroactive pay during my time out on SSD. I received the check from SS and was required l to pay back the entire amount to Prudential that they had given me while out on LTD. I never got to keep ANY of the settlement.

In addition to that, while out on LTD I had filed for early retirement which I received for a few month while still collecting LTD from Prudential. I went to SS and asked if I was allowed to do this and said one thing had nothing to do with another. Now Prudential claims I owe them more money for the time I collected Early Retirement. I had to go on a payment plan with them and although I paid them back on a monthly basis they sent my account to a Collection Agency who has been hounding me for a year. I recently did my 2016 income tax and found out that this is considered income which resulted in my having to pay back the IRS even though I saw none of the money. Prudential Insurance has to be one of the worst companies I have ever done business with. They are relentless.

I suggest to other LTD claimants to get everything in writing before signing any paperwork from Prudential. I found out that had I lost my SSD case I wouldn't have had to pay them back any money. So I pursued this SSD for nothing. Had I known Prudential was going to ask for it back I never would have pursued my case for 2-1/2 years with Social Security. And when I questioned Prudential about the premium I had paid into LTD with my employer for 15 years they told me it was like buying any insurance policy. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. When you pay a premium for car insurance, if you get into an accident the insurance company pays out on the claim and doesn't ask you for the money back (except a deductible). Be very careful when dealing with Prudential. They are relentless and will get you one way or the other!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I found the assistance incompetent, dishonest and inaccurate. Also, I did not receive all requested information. While I have a list of grievances too lengthy to list about Prudential, it all points to a lack of Integrity besides the other major flaws. I have retained a message on my answering machine from a manager from Prudential saying my case indeed qualified as a long term disability case. It insults my intelligence in the way it was mishandled by Prudential.

Prudential Disability Insurance Company Information