Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.00/5

Nationwide Small Business Insurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

My husband and I had a commercial claim that started back in July of 2017. We had a flood in our entire basement as a result of a plumber's neglect to finish their work timely. We contacted a restoration company and started the painful process of putting our home back to a livable state. The restoration company did a terrible job in removing all of the mud that had filled 2500 square feet of our basement. When they sprayed one area, it splashed the mud to all of the other areas. After several days of having them in our home, we refused to let them back in and decided to finish the rest of the work ourselves. The claims adjuster from Nationwide never actually came to our home to see the damage. He trusted the restoration company to tell him the damages.

All of the costs for repairs have fallen on my husband and me. We have incurred several thousand dollars of costs, have continued to wipe items that we are still finding with mud on them even 7 months later. After sending receipts, photos, lists of items destroyed (many of which are irreplaceable), we felt we could no longer bear the costs of the flood damage, since Nationwide was not reimbursing for any of the items until it was complete. My husband and I decided that we would settle with all of the items we had reported. We also informed the adjuster that we had spent over 80 hours working in the area trying to get the basement back to the way it was before the muddy flood. The adjuster replied to my email with a comment that stated that the time that we had spent working in the basement was not a reimbursable part of the claim.

His comments were that the state in which we live does not allow for property damage claims to compensate for "inconvenience factors" and that there would be no additional payment other than the amount sent in the settlement documents. Where on earth is it written that performing the work to restore your home back to a liveable state as an inconvenience factor? If we would have allowed the terrible restoration company to continue to work in that area, it would have cost Nationwide THOUSANDS of dollars. I contacted my homeowner's insurance agent who couldn't really speak to the laws that govern commercial insurance. Like I stated earlier in this review, my husband and I were forking out over 5 thousand dollars for many of the items to be repaired. We just couldn't afford to continue to do that any longer.

The comments from the adjuster, lack of any reimbursement from Nationwide and the fact that we had tapped out our entire savings account, pushed us to sign the documents from Nationwide. We signed, notarized and mailed the paperwork. The very next day, I got an email from Nationwide asking "What is the settlement figure that you were looking for?" The first thing that came out of my mouth was "are you kidding me?" After being emailed with what was stated as quotes from the Utah Insurance Law stating that there would be no additional reimbursement, the adjuster had the audacity to actually ask that question.

Needless to say, it is too late to change the document we signed and my husband and I will receive ZERO reimbursement for the work we have done and are continuing to do with all of the mud splatter. The slogan of "Nationwide is on your side" certainly speaks to its paying customers and not the people who place claims against it.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

After only a few weeks of coverage, I received a Notice of Cancellation. I called the number on the letter asking for clarification but the rep could not find a specific reason. I've found my experience with Nationwide extremely unprofessional and disappointing, to say the least. When I signed up for insurance with Nationwide, the rep seemed enthusiastic about my brand and was quick to get me coverage. As soon as I sent them payment, it was difficult to get the certificates I needed and now my insurance coverage is cancelled. Can you imagine how horrible it would've been if I actually needed to file a claim? This company is not dependable. When I was looking for insurance, I went on here to read the reviews. If you are in the same position trying to find an insurance company for your business - LOOK ELSEWHERE.

Get expert buying tips about Business Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I've had Nationwide for several years for Commercial Auto and General Liability without much trouble. My policy renewed in mid-March, and by June was cancelled even though 3 payments had been received (with less than 3 months of coverage), so I had to call in after receiving a cancellation letter, which had the additional confusion of having another business' legal name with my trade name and address. The agent had to keep putting me on hold to review it and "collect her thoughts" and after half an hour still was unable to explain the cancellation or why my account had another business listed. In the end, I reinstated out of necessity, but lost a day of production waiting on the reinstatement to process and take effect. So any saving gained in selecting Nationwide over their competitors was lost several times over with the lost production time (I can only imagine if I had to make an actual claim).

Original review: April 20, 2017

They wrote me a policy for my commercial insurance policy and assured me that I was covered and after two months dropped my policy for no reason. I called and ask because I just had received my paperwork in the mail a month prior. Never got a response back from agent out of the Decatur, Alabama office. I was upset but I got other insurance now. Thank God for other companies.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

I called Nationwide for an insurance quote on a commercial property I have. The agent and I went over the property, the history of the property, and every detail pertaining to this property. As well as the specific type of coverage needed. We spoke daily and finally a quote was given to me which was a reasonable quote so I proceeded with the underwriter and they actually downgraded our coverage to another insurance policy we had so I thought great. Only to find out that now for some unexplainable reason the amount doubled from the quote!! I have excellent credit with no outstanding debts!?! They wasted a week of my time with no indication that the policy would cost more than their initial quote. And gave no reason why it doubled! Does anyone at Nationwide have any integrity? Shameful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Small Business Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

Everyone I've spoken with there is very helpful and informed of all the ins and outs of business insurance that at first I didn't really understand. There were many choices of policies I could adapt for my small business which is important to me because I need coverage that I can afford. It was an okay price I mean I would like to be able to get more for my buck but compared to other companies I feel as though I got the best value for my buck.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

The customer service was also good. They were able to quickly answer my questions with clarity. The people on the line did not seem to have any issues with regard to their attitudes. The variety was okay. There wasn't much that was different from the norm. Everything seemed just about average with nothing too apparent. I am happy with the price. With this cost, you get so much value that other companies cannot provide. They just seem like such a high performing insurer. I liked the claim process. Once again, it was mediocre. It appeared as if they needed to allocate more work on that area to ameliorate their overall business.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

I have found that Nationwide Insurance customer service is probably this best in the business. When I have questions they have answers. They waste no time providing you with the information you requested. The variety of policies Nationwide has to offer for businesses is unbelievable. Nationwide can even tailor your policy to meet your company needs. They are thorough when making you policy, and they cover everything A-Z. Nationwide is not the cheapest, but you pay for what you get. Nationwide is very reasonable with the pricing scale and are willing to work with you to keep the prices down. They offer education material about insurance and what you need to know before you buy. Personally, I have been very fortunate as not to have filed a claim. I think if I did, that the claim process would be speedy and accurate.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

They have really great customer service. Always willing to help and answer questions. Great company to do business with. I'd recommend to all my friends. One of the best companies. They have all kinds of services and are very willing to help pick what meets your needs the most. Very good pricing. They offer good deals and are one place. I'd recommend to look first to get a great deal with lots of help with the services you need. Very easy and they don't drag out the process like a lot of companies do. They are willing to be there to help make sure you don't have a lot of problems.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

Service is great and get insurance I need and quick response to my calls. I would recommend to my friends and any coworkings looking to get insurance. Home, car, property, wind damage and I would recommend for motorcycle insurance also home insurance on all aspects like flood water damage. The price is fair for the amount of coverage I am getting on all forms of home and auto coverage. I am satisfied with all the coverage.

Not sure about Nationwide Small Business Insurance?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Business Insurance for you.

Nationwide Small Business Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Nationwide Insurance Company offers commercial insurance to small businesses in a range of industries. It is one of the largest insurance carriers in the world and its family of companies includes many smaller regional insurance companies.

• Strong financial rankings: Nationwide has a long history as a Fortune 500 company, and it is one of the world's largest insurers.

• Customizable policies: The company makes it easy to tailor policies to meet the needs of different business sizes and industries.

• Claims services: Nationwide offer immediate access to live representatives, as well as to local agents.

• Customer service: Nationwide offers customer service over the phone and in the network of agents across the country.

• Variety of payment options: It allows customers to pay premiums by check, debit or credit card and also through the mail, online, by phone or via automatic payments.

• Best for: Small businesses seeking insurance plans that can scale, and business owners in need of unique, customized policies.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor