Protect against the unexpected

Does medicare cover all your needs? Learn about supplemental plans.

Select my supplement
Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance
2.02/5

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance

Protect against the unexpected

Does medicare cover all your needs? Learn about supplemental plans.

Select my supplement

63 Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 17, 2019

I contracted a ride in accordance with the required lead time with MTM and on the day needing service even called to confirm my ride. My ride never showed, I called the number given and was told I was not on their manifest and I should call MTM. I called and was left on hold with no response. I placed 4 frantic calls because I was now past my scheduled surgery check in time, each time being put on hold with no help. Amber at MTM “graciously” offered to call my Surgeon to say I was late because my ride didn’t show? Not sure what that was supposed to accomplish because she still didn’t arrange a ride. I did finally get other transportation on my own. I never did get any help from MTM but later in the day I called for an explanation.

Shanon ** an escalation supervisor said I should file a grievance, which I already did, but that the “good news was that she would reverse the 2 trip charges “. Of course my response was Seriously you were going to charge me for not getting a contracted and confirmed ride? And she responded “Yes, after all Valley Transport never notified them they weren’t picking me up”. Ok that makes no sense at all. Did they think I was frantically calling while in the car with Valley Transport? Anyway medical transportation is not much of a benefit when you are left without a ride and no help from MTM. Leaving people stranded does seem to be a common practice with transport companies. It is more stressful than it is beneficial. I have no issues with Mutual of Omaha at this time but consider carefully who you select if transportation is important in making an insurance provider decision like it was with me.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Updated on 05/03/2019: Most frustrating company in the world. I submitted a one-star review. They asked for my phone #, which I provided. Then they claimed the issue was "Resolved." Inaccurate and insulting.

Original Review: I received a letter informing me that my credit card was rejected for automatic payment. I went to the website, and was able log in to my Mutual of Omaha supplemental medical insurance, but not the website for my Mutual of Omaha Rx insurance. So, I called the number at the top of the letter. This was a number-initiated auto answer service would not accept any number entered. "0" took me to an operator who asked for my "Member number", although the letter from the selfsame company did not include that information.

After name, ss# and zip code, she identified me and told me I had the wrong location, and she transferred me to Express Scripts. The Express Scripts person asked me for my name, ss# and zip code. Then he told me I'd have to be transferred to premiums. I oppose government-sponsored insurance. However, even the government could not invent a system as convoluted as this. I sit here listening to Muzak while on hold, hoping someone at Mutual/Express Scripts will accept my payment.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Charles. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. Please accept our sincere apologies for the poor customer service you experienced. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Get expert buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Recently I had recently applied for a Mutual of Omaha Medicare supplement policy only for them to deny my application over a phone interview. I honestly told the reviewer I am generally in good health only suffering with low back arthritic pain and sciatica issues that was successfully maintained by medication and physical therapy. Myself along with millions of other people have some form of back pain that can be easily maintained although a letter followed up stating I have degenerative arthritis and it was the reason I was denied. Possibly because they knew my age and I did not appeal with them to have me as a client. I’m very disappointed with this companies findings having no real justification for their decision.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Ernest. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. If you’d like to discuss this claim denial further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I, my doctor's office and a preferred pharmacy have spent countless hours on the phone trying to get prescriptions transferred and pre-authorization recognized by pharmacy. This has gone on for over 2 weeks and I have run out of a medication and the advance on the medication, in that time. Paid for a partial refill out of pocket. I tried to use their mail order pharmacy but it (Express Scripts) has policies that concern me. So I tried to get prescriptions moved to local pharmacy. Each agency said the problem was with the other one. Don't buy a new card the first year it comes out and don't buy this newly released policy until they get the glitches worked out. As of this writing it is still not resolved.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Margaret. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to discuss this with you further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Humana advertised going to an advantage plan. I checked on it and the agent said we would have same coverage as under Mutual of Omaha supp plan G. Jan 23 2019 my wife's eye treatment that was previously covered was no longer covered. The Humana advertisement and MOO ad said if we needed to go back to the previous plans we could do so. It is now Mar 4th and Mutual of Omaha has not reinstated either of us. We had to file for reinstatement and wait for approval. This included two checks for multiple months and letters from Humana showing dates of stoppage before MOO would process our application. I find these requirements penalties for believing a slick sales person but MOO should be helping us get reinstated so we are covered quickly. I am 71 and my wife is 70 and we cannot go to the hospital or see a doctor right now unless we foot the bill.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Rollie. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and a customer care associate will be in touch to discuss your current situation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

This fly by night dumb of a company sent me unsolicited mail about cancer insurance. I opened it and wrote on application what they can do with their application that was unsolicited. Looking at the reviews, I did the right thing!! I CANNOT STAND COMPANIES THAT SEND UNSOLICITED MAIL!!! This company blows!!

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Hung. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. Please email your mailing address and we’ll have the mailings stopped.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Had insurance that was good until Jan 31st 2018. Filed a claim on Jan 12th and was not paid. Having to pay for a cleaning out of my own pocket. Would never recommend this insurance to anyone. It is a shame companies like this exist.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Todd. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this unpaid claim further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I had bought a United World Life (a Mutual of Omaha Company) Medicare Supplement, attaching a check to the application. Mutual of Omaha used a fraudulent technique called "double presentment" to cash the check twice, causing a shocking hole in my checking account of over $500. Fortunately, my bank replaced the funds within a day and will be vigorously pursuing Mutual of Omaha to recover these funds. Mutual of Omaha tried to cover this up by sending me a check (which is sitting idle in a drawer) for these funds after they were caught perpetrating this hack, but I am leaving recovery to my bank. I would find it hard to believe that a company of this magnitude could handle a paper check this incompetently.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Stew. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I applied for supplemental Medicare insurance in New Mexico and was denied because I changed medications about 2 months ago and had checked one box on the application form that does not require any surgeries or hospital time and is not a life threatening situation or will cost you lots of money. I feel your company has profiled me in a negative way without getting all the information. Am I just some kind of statistic for you?? The application was very vague and I received a call from a woman in your company about more "details" but I was not told this was my underwriter who was actually "interviewing" me and going to accept or deny my application.

I answered truthfully but was not aware of your "rules" about having to take a medication for 2 years and that selecting "yes" to one health issue questions (of a long list) on your paperwork would deny me benefits from your company. The underwriter I spoke with who answered the phone seemed to indicate that it was unusual to deny my claim based on the one "yes" on the form and the 2 year med rule, after I explained my doctor changed my meds because I had been on them too long and it was not healthy for me. Then I asked to speak to a supervisor who was hostile, rude, and not receptive to my questions.

As I have said, I feel like your company, who is supposed to provide health benefits to those of us who are on Medicare have really dropped the ball. I was told I now have to provide 2 years of medical information to appeal because I am now in the system of denied. Is there any humane person in your company that actually understands or cares about your supposed mission to provide good healthcare insurance and treat us prospective clients with kindness and care?

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Diane. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

We called to cancel coverage after checking with Blue Cross (that he has been with for years). They say a "manager" will call within a week. However, I asked for a name and address to send a cancellation letter. They say, "I'm sorry I'm not aware of any person or address for you to send a letter to." It has been 2.5 weeks, they instantly took out the money from the checking account; but cannot give me an address to send a formal letter. This is too scary that for 17 minutes on the phone this Kris person refused to give me an address to send a letter. She continued to say "I'm not aware of any address to send a letter to, or the person's name".

Now this is for a 65 year old person who has in the past had heart attack and stroke. It is imperative that he have health Insurance. I don't know about what you're looking for, personally I like to deal with a company that can give me a manager's name and address to send a written letter or email or actually be able to speak to a person who may have decision authority. I would think twice about dealing with a company that WILL NOT give you an address. Please look up other reviews. Frankly the reviews I have seen about paying, canceling, phone call returns are exactly why I chose to cancel this in the first place. Thank God we are.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Kristen. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to discuss the further with you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I have stayed with Mutual of Omaha since retirement in 2009. They just jumped my premium from $289 to $486 stating it is age related and or increased cost of covering claims. They have raised the premium steadily since 2009 but this, a 60% increase, was a surprise. I am healthy - no major illnesses or conditions - I take only 25 milligram of ** for blood pressure - have put in very few claims. So it is not health related. For sure I will change - they give you no choice - they obviously want to eliminate this age group. They have been a good company providing good service, but I was also paying a good premium and expected good service. I moved to Florida last year from the Midwest and the location may have something to do with it. Very disappointed because it is now up to me at the age of 73 to find a new carrier.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, B. Thanks for providing a review. We understand your concerns with rate increases. While it’s not our desire to raise rates, we do our best to minimize rate increases unless they’re absolutely necessary. We’d like to listen if you’d like to talk with one of our team members about the specifics of your policy. You can reach us at 800-775-3000 or email your preferred contact number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Rate increases 7 times in 3 years! It's supposed to be based on age but I would have had to age pretty quickly to account for these increases! I'm in great health. No chronic ailments or conditions. I haven't been in the hospital since 1953. I'm seriously looking for a different insurance company! Mutual of Omaha Supplemental Insurance price increases. May 15 2015 ACH MUTUAL OF OMAHA $137.16. Jun 15 2015 ACH MUTUAL OF OMAHA $143.70. Sep 15 2015 ACH MUTUAL OF OMAHA $150.88. Jun 15 2016 ACH MUTUAL OF OMAHA $156.61. Sep 15 2016 ACH MUTUAL OF OMAHA $169.14. Jun 15 2017 ACH MUTUAL OF OMAHA $176.55. Jun 15 2018 ACH MUTUAL OF OMAHA $191.86.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Robert. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We understand your concerns with rate increases. While it’s not our desire to raise rates, we do our best to minimize rate increases unless they’re absolutely necessary. If you’d like to talk with one of our customer care associates about the specifics of your policy, you can reach us at 800-775-3000 or email your contact information and best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 4, 2018

If I could give a negative rating, I would! Last summer I found myself hospitalized for a big blood clot in my right thigh (deep vein thrombosis), a big blood clot that sat across the top of my left and right lungs (pulmonary embolism), and smaller clots in my lungs. I filed a short-term disability claim with Mutual of Omaha through my employer and that process was nothing short of a nightmare. I had surgery in March and rather than being able to rest and recover, I was being asked to call my doctors for the claims representative and having to defend the seriousness of my medical situation.

Not only has the claims process dragged out, but it has given me much anxiety and frustration; it took months just to get the last month of benefits paid out. My claim has rolled over to long-term and I’m still having issues. If you’ve ever had non-emergency surgery, you know that you don’t get to pick your surgery date... why is that something I had to explain to the claims representative? If you can help it, STAY AWAY from this company... your sanity will thank you!

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, L.W. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: May 18, 2018

When I signed up for supplemental Medicare 2 1/2 years ago Mutual of Omaha was recommended. My premium was $135.00 a month for plan F. A little over a year ago, I was diagnosed with mild COPD. Shortly after, I received a letter from Mutual of Omaha increasing my premium from $135.00 a month to $203.00 a month. Almost a 50% increase. I talked to an agent today as my husband is almost 65 and he recommended Mutual of Omaha, I told him my story. He was appalled as he'd never heard of that company doing something like that (average increase is 1 to 3 % annually). Unfortunately, because I can no longer pass healthcare question to switch polices because of the COPD, I'm stuck. Please be careful if you're looking at this company, you never know when your health might change.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Debbie. We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: May 2, 2018

My overall experience with this company would have to be the great customer service I get if I have a problem. I am completely satisfied with everything. They're a respectable company that cares about their clients.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have been very satisfied with this company. I have used my plan several times and were notified by e-mail of the claims that were submitted. It was easy to sign up and set up my automatic payments. They have an easy to use website. I can log on and get any information I need and communicate with a representative. I received my ID card promptly and have not had any issues with claims. But it might help if I had a better explanation of claims information. The website does not show how the claims were paid and to whom.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Mutual of Omaha was a good company. I paid a small fee through my employer for this insurance. I needed monthly birth control pills and monthly doctor appointments and this program took care of everything. I like the low co-pays for doctor visits and no co-pays for most prescriptions. It was also accepted by my doctor. I couldn't afford regular insurance at the time so this program helped me a lot.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Has been there when and if I ever needed them. Provides good benefits and the premiums are competitive. Been around for a long time. Great customer service. They provide you the insurance that other companies do not, help you when your insurance don't cover it or not enough. Cover you when you get hurt and can't work. They cover everything I need them to. However, the premiums have gone up over the past few years and looks like they will go up again.

Original review: March 13, 2018

My overall experience with Mutual of Omaha has been average or what I would expect from any insurance company. They provide the information required and does make dealing with providers easy and far more pleasant. The company provides a follow up on all payments made including what is paid by Medicare. It also shows what is disallowed and what I would owe if any. It also list the providers and dates of service. However, there is neutral lack of personal contact at any level and I have actually never spoken to a live individual since inception. Nevertheless, it is always helpful especially at end of year tax planning.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Expense worth peace of mind. They pay Medicare deductible and the remaining 20% of what Medicare allows. When I've had concerns about something not being covered, or have not received my summary, they are helpful. They are easy to work with. Medical providers bill Medicare directly and also bill Mutual of Omaha, so rarely do I have to do anything other than wait to see what got covered. All of my doctors like working with them because they pay quickly (once Medicare has done its thing). However, it's expensive; only covers what Medicare allows, nothing else (some companies cover travel expenses, etc.).

Original review: March 11, 2018

Great company, no bad experiences thus far. They have been helping me via email and phone calls, and getting all of my questions answered as soon as possible. Great customer service and it's affordable. This makes my life easier, and I need to worry less about insurance and saving costs. However, there are no yearly discounts for a family plan. I need to cover my family at an affordable cost, so I can live a good life.

Original review: March 10, 2018

The telephone operators were friendly and genuinely seemed to take your side. Also, the phone access was twenty-four hours a day and was an easy to use and navigate call system. Furthermore, the billing department was generally easy to communicate with. However, the experience was horrible. You had to fight tooth and nail for every single item to comprehensively covered. The actual coverage itself was a bonafide joke. Certain medications and procedures were covered were less expensive yet more time-consuming procedures were not. It was as if they were at times just flipping a coin to decide what would be covered and what would not be covered. Also, the supervisors seemed to be unavailable when it came down to a decision needing to be made. It was a difficult process and an exercise in futility.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Christiaan. Thank you for the review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Mutual of Omaha has covered everything that Medicare did not. Last year I had Mutual of Omaha plan F which costs more than $200 more per year but this year I have Plan G and I have not met the deductible yet. I now have plan G and have only paid $54 so far this year. The monthly premium is much less than plan F that I had last year. I am healthier than most people my age and have tried to make a few more healthier choices to even improve my health. I only have one prescription filled on an annual basis and it is a result of taking the medication called **. The insurance product is working for me and I will have it later when I may have more medical issues than I have at this time. We never know when we might need insurance so I'd rather be protected.

Original review: March 8, 2018

They are there for me when I need them and customer service is always friendly and fast when I call and need anything. I always get the medicine I need when I need it and seeing my doctor no difficulties at all. Overall great insurance.

Original review: March 6, 2018

It's a great company that I trust bringing me the good quality of healthcare, and also has a wide range of providers. Gives me peace of mind when it comes to healthcare, and knows what I care, I need, and when I need it. I like how they take care of my needs with no out of pocket cost. Healthcare providers are great and I like how you can select your own doctors without any hassle.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I have 30 years experience with Mutual of Omaha and I trust them. They are very affordable and easy to contact. They are tied to my union and they offer many other insurance options and easy to file a complaint and claim. It is great the way it is. Perfect. I also have insurance for my children through them and coverage for myself.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I'm really happy to be a part of Mutual of Omaha. I like that they help me with all my needs and I think they're doing really good job. They answer any concerns or questions that I have and they have great people that helps give me the information. But I would change having to go to doctor to get a medicine prescription from my doctor. Nevertheless, the overall experience is good and everything is going really well.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Just wanted to say I have been a client of this companies since 2009 about... I have and will continue to recommend them to all retiring people... They have been there for me in every way... I have had a lot of medical bill and have not had to put out one red cent. They are a fantastic company. Their rates are a bit high but under the circumstances and my health it is still a bargain. You are better to have a plan to cover the extra expense than to not have one. Things in the medical field are not cheap and are not getting any better. Pay the price. Or file bankruptcy. This is no joke. My medicals bills have gone well over $300,000.00. And I have peace of mind knowing it wasn't my part to pay. Thank you Mutual of Omaha.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I started Plan F Medicare Supplement in early 2011 at $125 per month. I just canceled as of July 1, 2017 at $295.77 per month. Blue Cross which is really expensive was $234.00 per month. Avoid Mutual of Omaha. The price increases are unbearable once you start with them. NOT RECOMMENDED!

Original review: May 12, 2017

Mutual of Omaha mails out cancer protection insurance plan and hospitalization plans. When and if something were to occur with your health as it did with mine... Mutual Omaha was dishonest about their cancer policies. When I first took out my policy I was not diagnosed with cancer at the time. But unfortunately when I had my routine mammogram I was positive with breast cancer. They told me that I 'knew' I had breast cancer... Who wants any kind of cancer? I TOOK OUT THE POLICY FOR PROTECTION JUST IN CASE. And they denied me my claim. I will never ever use this company again and I don't recommend anybody use this company for anything. Research elsewhere.

Mutual of Omaha expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Mutual of Omaha was founded in 1909 and began selling health insurance policies the following year. It administered Medicare parts A and B when the program started in 1966. Today, Mutual of Omaha offers a variety of supplement insurance policies for Medicare recipients so consumers can find a plan that fits their needs and budget.

• Household discount: When multiple people living in the same household both have a Medicare supplement insurance from Mutual of Omaha, each member receives discount on their plan.

• Instant quote: Interested consumers can get an instant quote by visiting Mutual of Omaha’s website. They simply enter their date of birth, zip code and whether or not they use tobacco, and the site will show them plan availability and costs for their location.

• Saturday hours: Customer service representatives are available from 8:00am to 8:00pm on weekdays and for more limited hours on Saturdays and Sundays, so consumers can get help even on weekends.

• Best for: Mutual of Omaha is best for those looking for a company with an extensive history of working with Medicare.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance Company Information