Protect against the unexpected

Does medicare cover all your needs? Learn about supplemental plans.

Select my supplement
Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance
1.95/5

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Protect against the unexpected

Does medicare cover all your needs? Learn about supplemental plans.

Select my supplement

68 Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance Consumer Reviews

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I have been a Medicare Supplement customer of Mutual of Omaha since 2010; My starting premium was $120.12/mo. The premiums have increased several times during each year because of "rising costs and age," and I now find at age 73, my latest premium increase has reached $292.97, not affordable anymore! My medical costs have been very modest.They obviously want to dump this age group! We took the bait of a low starting premium during the Medigap Open Enrollment Period and get trapped, unable to change insurers later without underwriting restrictions/penalties, etc. They have paid as per coverage, but who can afford it anymore!

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Leona. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We understand your concerns with rate increases. While it’s not our desire to raise rates, we do our best to minimize rate increases unless they’re absolutely necessary. We’d like to listen if you’d like to talk with one of our customer care team about the specifics of your policy. You can reach us at 800-775-3000 or email your preferred contact number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I called Mutual of Omaha for information. I was not assertive and was walked through the application process. And my credit card was charged for the Part G Medigap. I will have to have a letter from my employer that I am currently insured. That letter along with a part B application will need to be sent or delivered to the social security office. I am unsure how long this will take. I call to cancel the Medigap insurance. The refund will be in the form of a check, ONCE the underwriters review my request for cancellation. I am glad I had this experience, I am choosing another Medicare G provider.

Get expert buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 19, 2019

Major problem. Formulary changes every couple of months. Despite medications listed on the most current formulary on Mutual of Omaha Rx site as covered on the Mutual of Omaha Rx Plus Plan they are often rejected as NOT covered. The pharmacy is not told why the medication is not covered. This means that I have to then call Mutual of Omaha Rx which is a hassle. When calling I have to tell the rep what page number the medication is on, spell it for them only to have them tell me it's not covered when the formulary that it is listed on is only 20 days old. I then ask, "Is there a specific manufacturer that you cover." Mind you this is already a generic medication. Then after further investigation the rep says, "Oh it is covered but only a certain manufacturer."

So now it's another trip to the pharmacy and having to tell the pharmacist which manufacturer that Mutual of Omaha Rx will cover. So then they have to re-fill the prescription with one from that manufacturer and try to run the prescription through again. This is Not customer friendly. This happened to me last month too on a different medication. Same scenario. If Mutual of Omaha only covers certain manufacturers they need to list the manufacturer on the formulary and also tell the pharmacy. These are not brand name drugs, they are generics which makes it all the more frustrating. I expect more out of Mutual Of Omaha. I will switch RX plans when we are allowed to at the end of the year because quite frankly either Mutual of Omaha or Express Scripts that manages it don't have their act together. Very disappointing.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Gregory. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to speak with you further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: July 13, 2019

I enrolled with Mutual of Omaha at age 65 in August 2018 for my supplemental insurance. This was my initial enrollment. I selected plan G. I was told by my broker/agent this was a good company. Things have gone well until June 2019. Then I received a letter from MOO stating my premium for the second year was going to increase by 18%. I called thinking this was a mistake. It was not a mistake. I was told by the customer rep that "well, you had $10,000 in claims this past year." I don't think my claims should have anything to do with my future premium. She also told me "well we are good, you know good ain't cheap and cheap ain't good." My broker/agent found me a new supplemental insurance supplier for about the same price as my first year insurance premium with MOO. The new company has a BETTER consumer rating than MOO. Luckily, I did not have any health issues and could answer the questions with ease. Goodbye MOO.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Nolan. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We understand your concerns with rate increases. While it’s not our desire to raise rates, we do our best to minimize rate increases unless they’re absolutely necessary. We’d like to listen if you’d like to talk with one of our customer care team about the specifics of your policy. You can reach us or email your preferred contact number and the best time to reach you. Thanks again.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I signed up for Plan F when I turned 65 because of the lack of a deductible. However, I have paid nearly $1000 every year to save a $185 deductible in North Carolina. I tried to switch to a Plan G (which is exactly the same plan except for the deductible). I was denied the opportunity to switch because of my medical history even though I have been with your company since 2013. Plan F will no longer have new enrollees in 2020 - which will drive folks without major medical issues out of Plan F. That will then drive up rates for this plan, which is already overpriced. How is this fair? Both my husband and I are getting ready to switch to a different carrier since I have been approved for a Plan G. Thanks for everything, Mutual of Omaha.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Sheila. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to discuss this further with you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha?

Original review: May 17, 2019

I contracted a ride in accordance with the required lead time with MTM and on the day needing service even called to confirm my ride. My ride never showed, I called the number given and was told I was not on their manifest and I should call MTM. I called and was left on hold with no response. I placed 4 frantic calls because I was now past my scheduled surgery check in time, each time being put on hold with no help. Amber at MTM “graciously” offered to call my Surgeon to say I was late because my ride didn’t show? Not sure what that was supposed to accomplish because she still didn’t arrange a ride. I did finally get other transportation on my own. I never did get any help from MTM but later in the day I called for an explanation.

Shanon ** an escalation supervisor said I should file a grievance, which I already did, but that the “good news was that she would reverse the 2 trip charges “. Of course my response was Seriously you were going to charge me for not getting a contracted and confirmed ride? And she responded “Yes, after all Valley Transport never notified them they weren’t picking me up”. Ok that makes no sense at all. Did they think I was frantically calling while in the car with Valley Transport? Anyway medical transportation is not much of a benefit when you are left without a ride and no help from MTM. Leaving people stranded does seem to be a common practice with transport companies. It is more stressful than it is beneficial. I have no issues with Mutual of Omaha at this time but consider carefully who you select if transportation is important in making an insurance provider decision like it was with me.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Updated on 05/03/2019: Most frustrating company in the world. I submitted a one-star review. They asked for my phone #, which I provided. Then they claimed the issue was "Resolved." Inaccurate and insulting.

Original Review: I received a letter informing me that my credit card was rejected for automatic payment. I went to the website, and was able log in to my Mutual of Omaha supplemental medical insurance, but not the website for my Mutual of Omaha Rx insurance. So, I called the number at the top of the letter. This was a number-initiated auto answer service would not accept any number entered. "0" took me to an operator who asked for my "Member number", although the letter from the selfsame company did not include that information.

After name, ss# and zip code, she identified me and told me I had the wrong location, and she transferred me to Express Scripts. The Express Scripts person asked me for my name, ss# and zip code. Then he told me I'd have to be transferred to premiums. I oppose government-sponsored insurance. However, even the government could not invent a system as convoluted as this. I sit here listening to Muzak while on hold, hoping someone at Mutual/Express Scripts will accept my payment.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Charles. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. Please accept our sincere apologies for the poor customer service you experienced. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Recently I had recently applied for a Mutual of Omaha Medicare supplement policy only for them to deny my application over a phone interview. I honestly told the reviewer I am generally in good health only suffering with low back arthritic pain and sciatica issues that was successfully maintained by medication and physical therapy. Myself along with millions of other people have some form of back pain that can be easily maintained although a letter followed up stating I have degenerative arthritis and it was the reason I was denied. Possibly because they knew my age and I did not appeal with them to have me as a client. I’m very disappointed with this companies findings having no real justification for their decision.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Ernest. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. If you’d like to discuss this claim denial further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I, my doctor's office and a preferred pharmacy have spent countless hours on the phone trying to get prescriptions transferred and pre-authorization recognized by pharmacy. This has gone on for over 2 weeks and I have run out of a medication and the advance on the medication, in that time. Paid for a partial refill out of pocket. I tried to use their mail order pharmacy but it (Express Scripts) has policies that concern me. So I tried to get prescriptions moved to local pharmacy. Each agency said the problem was with the other one. Don't buy a new card the first year it comes out and don't buy this newly released policy until they get the glitches worked out. As of this writing it is still not resolved.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Margaret. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to discuss this with you further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Humana advertised going to an advantage plan. I checked on it and the agent said we would have same coverage as under Mutual of Omaha supp plan G. Jan 23 2019 my wife's eye treatment that was previously covered was no longer covered. The Humana advertisement and MOO ad said if we needed to go back to the previous plans we could do so. It is now Mar 4th and Mutual of Omaha has not reinstated either of us. We had to file for reinstatement and wait for approval. This included two checks for multiple months and letters from Humana showing dates of stoppage before MOO would process our application. I find these requirements penalties for believing a slick sales person but MOO should be helping us get reinstated so we are covered quickly. I am 71 and my wife is 70 and we cannot go to the hospital or see a doctor right now unless we foot the bill.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Rollie. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and a customer care associate will be in touch to discuss your current situation.

Mutual of Omaha expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Mutual of Omaha was founded in 1909 and began selling health insurance policies the following year. It administered Medicare parts A and B when the program started in 1966. Today, Mutual of Omaha offers a variety of supplement insurance policies for Medicare recipients so consumers can find a plan that fits their needs and budget.

• Household discount: When multiple people living in the same household both have a Medicare supplement insurance from Mutual of Omaha, each member receives discount on their plan.

• Instant quote: Interested consumers can get an instant quote by visiting Mutual of Omaha’s website. They simply enter their date of birth, zip code and whether or not they use tobacco, and the site will show them plan availability and costs for their location.

• Saturday hours: Customer service representatives are available from 8:00am to 8:00pm on weekdays and for more limited hours on Saturdays and Sundays, so consumers can get help even on weekends.

• Best for: Mutual of Omaha is best for those looking for a company with an extensive history of working with Medicare.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance Company Information