2.33/5
Based on 39 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance

50 Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 18, 2018

When I signed up for supplemental Medicare 2 1/2 years ago Mutual of Omaha was recommended. My premium was $135.00 a month for plan F. A little over a year ago, I was diagnosed with mild COPD. Shortly after, I received a letter from Mutual of Omaha increasing my premium from $135.00 a month to $203.00 a month. Almost a 50% increase. I talked to an agent today as my husband is almost 65 and he recommended Mutual of Omaha, I told him my story. He was appalled as he'd never heard of that company doing something like that (average increase is 1 to 3 % annually). Unfortunately, because I can no longer pass healthcare question to switch polices because of the COPD, I'm stuck. Please be careful if you're looking at this company, you never know when your health might change.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Debbie. We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: May 2, 2018

My overall experience with this company would have to be the great customer service I get if I have a problem. I am completely satisfied with everything. They're a respectable company that cares about their clients.

Get expert buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have been very satisfied with this company. I have used my plan several times and were notified by e-mail of the claims that were submitted. It was easy to sign up and set up my automatic payments. They have an easy to use website. I can log on and get any information I need and communicate with a representative. I received my ID card promptly and have not had any issues with claims. But it might help if I had a better explanation of claims information. The website does not show how the claims were paid and to whom.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Mutual of Omaha was a good company. I paid a small fee through my employer for this insurance. I needed monthly birth control pills and monthly doctor appointments and this program took care of everything. I like the low co-pays for doctor visits and no co-pays for most prescriptions. It was also accepted by my doctor. I couldn't afford regular insurance at the time so this program helped me a lot.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Has been there when and if I ever needed them. Provides good benefits and the premiums are competitive. Been around for a long time. Great customer service. They provide you the insurance that other companies do not, help you when your insurance don't cover it or not enough. Cover you when you get hurt and can't work. They cover everything I need them to. However, the premiums have gone up over the past few years and looks like they will go up again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha?

Original review: March 13, 2018

My overall experience with Mutual of Omaha has been average or what I would expect from any insurance company. They provide the information required and does make dealing with providers easy and far more pleasant. The company provides a follow up on all payments made including what is paid by Medicare. It also shows what is disallowed and what I would owe if any. It also list the providers and dates of service. However, there is neutral lack of personal contact at any level and I have actually never spoken to a live individual since inception. Nevertheless, it is always helpful especially at end of year tax planning.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Expense worth peace of mind. They pay Medicare deductible and the remaining 20% of what Medicare allows. When I've had concerns about something not being covered, or have not received my summary, they are helpful. They are easy to work with. Medical providers bill Medicare directly and also bill Mutual of Omaha, so rarely do I have to do anything other than wait to see what got covered. All of my doctors like working with them because they pay quickly (once Medicare has done its thing). However, it's expensive; only covers what Medicare allows, nothing else (some companies cover travel expenses, etc.).

Original review: March 11, 2018

Great company, no bad experiences thus far. They have been helping me via email and phone calls, and getting all of my questions answered as soon as possible. Great customer service and it's affordable. This makes my life easier, and I need to worry less about insurance and saving costs. However, there are no yearly discounts for a family plan. I need to cover my family at an affordable cost, so I can live a good life.

Original review: March 10, 2018

The telephone operators were friendly and genuinely seemed to take your side. Also, the phone access was twenty-four hours a day and was an easy to use and navigate call system. Furthermore, the billing department was generally easy to communicate with. However, the experience was horrible. You had to fight tooth and nail for every single item to comprehensively covered. The actual coverage itself was a bonafide joke. Certain medications and procedures were covered were less expensive yet more time-consuming procedures were not. It was as if they were at times just flipping a coin to decide what would be covered and what would not be covered. Also, the supervisors seemed to be unavailable when it came down to a decision needing to be made. It was a difficult process and an exercise in futility.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Christiaan. Thank you for the review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Mutual of Omaha has covered everything that Medicare did not. Last year I had Mutual of Omaha plan F which costs more than $200 more per year but this year I have Plan G and I have not met the deductible yet. I now have plan G and have only paid $54 so far this year. The monthly premium is much less than plan F that I had last year. I am healthier than most people my age and have tried to make a few more healthier choices to even improve my health. I only have one prescription filled on an annual basis and it is a result of taking the medication called **. The insurance product is working for me and I will have it later when I may have more medical issues than I have at this time. We never know when we might need insurance so I'd rather be protected.

Original review: March 8, 2018

They are there for me when I need them and customer service is always friendly and fast when I call and need anything. I always get the medicine I need when I need it and seeing my doctor no difficulties at all. Overall great insurance.

Original review: March 6, 2018

It's a great company that I trust bringing me the good quality of healthcare, and also has a wide range of providers. Gives me peace of mind when it comes to healthcare, and knows what I care, I need, and when I need it. I like how they take care of my needs with no out of pocket cost. Healthcare providers are great and I like how you can select your own doctors without any hassle.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I have 30 years experience with Mutual of Omaha and I trust them. They are very affordable and easy to contact. They are tied to my union and they offer many other insurance options and easy to file a complaint and claim. It is great the way it is. Perfect. I also have insurance for my children through them and coverage for myself.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I'm really happy to be a part of Mutual of Omaha. I like that they help me with all my needs and I think they're doing really good job. They answer any concerns or questions that I have and they have great people that helps give me the information. But I would change having to go to doctor to get a medicine prescription from my doctor. Nevertheless, the overall experience is good and everything is going really well.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Just wanted to say I have been a client of this companies since 2009 about... I have and will continue to recommend them to all retiring people... They have been there for me in every way... I have had a lot of medical bill and have not had to put out one red cent. They are a fantastic company. Their rates are a bit high but under the circumstances and my health it is still a bargain. You are better to have a plan to cover the extra expense than to not have one. Things in the medical field are not cheap and are not getting any better. Pay the price. Or file bankruptcy. This is no joke. My medicals bills have gone well over $300,000.00. And I have peace of mind knowing it wasn't my part to pay. Thank you Mutual of Omaha.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I started Plan F Medicare Supplement in early 2011 at $125 per month. I just canceled as of July 1, 2017 at $295.77 per month. Blue Cross which is really expensive was $234.00 per month. Avoid Mutual of Omaha. The price increases are unbearable once you start with them. NOT RECOMMENDED!

Original review: May 12, 2017

Mutual of Omaha mails out cancer protection insurance plan and hospitalization plans. When and if something were to occur with your health as it did with mine... Mutual Omaha was dishonest about their cancer policies. When I first took out my policy I was not diagnosed with cancer at the time. But unfortunately when I had my routine mammogram I was positive with breast cancer. They told me that I 'knew' I had breast cancer... Who wants any kind of cancer? I TOOK OUT THE POLICY FOR PROTECTION JUST IN CASE. And they denied me my claim. I will never ever use this company again and I don't recommend anybody use this company for anything. Research elsewhere.

Original review: March 31, 2017

My mother had a accidental death policy through Mutual of Omaha. She died on the 28th February. I diligently called them to let them know she had passed. I was told that any money taken out after her death would be returned. It was by check to her that I couldn’t cash. Upon calling them they refused to help in any way other than saying I had to go get a legal document then faxed to them from the city of LA.

Even though I’d never told them my name they knew who I was, but refused to write a check to someone or deposit the money back in the same account they’d be taking from for years. I spoke to a supervisor who took an attitude right away. Eric was his name. ** I believe... again, called before money was taken from her account, but assured it would be returned. All this attitude for $4.21… but my guess is they would be just as snippy and unconcerned if it had been a larger amount too. I ask the company, what was anybody supposed to do with a check made out a dead person?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

Being policy holders for Omaha's Supplemental plan my wife and I received letters telling us to call an 800 number to opt out of their information sharing program. Wanted to stop their frequent solicitation for life insurance, etc. On Nov 17, I called and gave them my policy number and their associate changed mine. Asked to change my wife's. The woman wanted a power of attorney sent to them because it was a policy change if my wife couldn't talk to her. My wife is in her 90's and has dementia. I told her she wouldn't understand her. If it was a policy change, there should be an endorsement sent out to us which I doubt will happen or that it is really a part of the policy. She was just being a mean and obstinate - give some elderly a hard time over an inconsequential matter. Typical big insurance harassment.

Original review: March 18, 2016

My wife and I enrolled with Mutual of Omaha Supplemental Plan F when we retired and recommended the same to family and friends. We maintained the policies for 6 years, through the annual price increases, until this year. We felt the increases were too much, too often so we decided to try another company and different plan...big mistake. Through the years with Mutual of Omaha, we didn't pay anything above the premium and we incurred some pretty steep medical expenses. Not one charge was disputed or, as far as I know, payment delayed. I plan to apply for reinstatement with Mutual of Omaha during the Open Enrollment period at the end of this year. Think about the future when considering insurance plans.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Thanks for sharing you story Robert.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2016

I purchased a supplemental cancer policy through Mutual of Omaha in 2012. In early 2014 I was diagnosed with cancer. The policy agreed to cover radiation, chemotherapy AND ANY ILLNESS RESULTING FROM TREATMENT of the cancer. They ended up paying some on the radiation treatment but NOTHING for the chemotherapy I received. Also, I could not get the hospital (Renown in Reno, NV) to send me an itemized bill saying Mutual of Omaha would need to contact them directly. I did send them what bills I had from the chemo and they clearly stated that they were for chemo. However, Mutual of Omaha flat out refused to pay anything and never contacted me OR the hospital for additional information. Additionally, I was hospitalized after treatment with sepsis and UTI as a DIRECT result of the treatment. Mutual of Omaha refused to pay.

I called them and they said they would review the case and then REFUSED to pay again even after I read them the language in my policy that said they would pay for conditions or illnesses caused by the TREATMENT of the cancer. The claims examiners clearly have NO CLUE about cancer and how sepsis and UTI's are a common side effect from radiation. They kept telling me they don't pay for UTI's and also ignored the "sepsis" diagnosis clearly written on the bill. They continued to ignore the bills for chemotherapy as well. Being so ill, I finally gave up with trying to collect. I think that's what they counted on. I would never recommend Mutual of Omaha to anyone. They should be ashamed of themselves but I doubt they have a conscience.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2015

I have been a customer for quite a while. I pay 116.50 per month. I think the policy is **. I have yet to receive a copy of the policy. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2015

Was with them for 8 years, never missed a payment. Had to change a bank account number (because of family issues) where their Premiums were paid out of. A check was sent back to Mutual of Omaha because of this. That being my fault which I followed up on. I was told that they would consider reinstatement after doing exactly what they had asked. What a waste of time. I did all that they wanted and then they dug into my health records. If this ever happens to you, you might just as well consider your insurance cancelled. Because we have 2 residence our mail is forwarded and when the notice came it was a little late which took me out of the grace period. However, it was not until the second letter that they had referred to this.

The worst customer service I have ever had. Asked to talk to a supervisor after several phone calls, forget that. They kept wanting me to write and appeal letter of which I did, overnighted 2 of them at the cost of 24 dollars each. I had to have back surgery over a year ago which they obviously approved or I couldn't have had it. Now this was their reason for taking my insurance "out of force." After that I had cataract surgery which they approved. Why would they approve this if they had planned to drop me? Often wondered after this why Medigap insurance. Especially from this company, which I changed over to 8 years ago as my agent told me "they never let you down". What a mistake that was. Absolutely no consideration. They have been a pain.

This is what happens when you become a senior. So be careful with this inconsiderate company. Anything they can find to drop your insurance I am sure makes them pleased, especially when you are a senior citizen. Thanks for listening. If lawyers were not so expensive I would take this to one. But now I will just look for another secondary insurance company. Thanks for listening.

Original review: July 16, 2015

In trying to check on benefits for one of my clients today, I went through the worst customer service experience with an insurance company I have had to date. When I called the number on the insurance card I was directed to check their website for benefits and eligibility, which I did. However, the website failed to explain if this person had hearing aid benefits or not, so I tried calling their customer service number again. At that point, after going through more automated menus than I can count, I was simply read what the website had already told me but still was not the information I needed.

At no point could I get an operator on the line. So, I went back to the website again and found a way to submit my question to them that way, which I did. More than 2 hours later I received an email from them, but in order to access this email I had to create a "secure account" requiring me to sign up with an email and a password (seems phishy to me).

After jumping through a few more hoops, I was then finally able access this "secure email" which simply told me that all of the information I needed was on their website and to go check there... WHICH I HAD ALREADY DONE!!! BUT, if I still could not find the answer, I could call their 1-800 number, which conveniently is only open for 5 hours a day and was closed at that point. Ugh... At this point, I sent them a reply to their email telling them all of the steps I had taken and that their customer service was the worst I had ever dealt with. I sincerely hope they don't treat their customers as poorly as they treat the providers!!

I had checked your website first and could not see ANY information on there regarding hearing aid benefits. When I then tried to call your provider help line for further clarification, I was simply tossed into a loop that read the benefits that were posted on the website and did not allow for further assistance which is why I then emailed my question to you. Your reply conveniently was sent AFTER your provider help line closes for the day, and so in total my efforts to get information for my patient were completely useless. Being a provider that works primarily with the elderly population and deals with many Medicare gap insurance companies, I can safely say this is the most unhelpful insurance company I have ever dealt with, and you will never receive a good review from me. God help your clients... They will need it in their dealings with your company if you treat them as poorly as you treat providers.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2015

I have had Mutual of Omaha Supplemental Insurance since September of 2011. In 3 1/2 years, my premiums have increased 6 times: $85.82 for 13 months, $92.69 for 3 months, $105.66 for 8 months, $109.79 for 4 months, $122.96 for 8 months, $127.78 for 6 months and now $139.29. This is a 62% increase over 3 1/2 years. Why? I thought insurance premiums were supposed to be going down.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2015

Posted 2/9/15................ After signing up with Mutual of Omaha via a local agent I already knew and I'm now looking at this month's bank statement that shows, from 1/13/15 to 2/2/15 MOH drew THREE direct debit payments of $108.34 from my account!! Let's see - that's over $324 they stole from me in under 18 days!!! I'm going to see my agent tomorrow morning and demand that he straighten this out in 24 hours or I'm going to the police and file a criminal complaint for fraud and a small claims suit for $8,000 for the same thing.

It's amazing that since I bought my house in July of 20134 every single company I've dealt with has screwed me AFTER signing a contract with them. Including DirecTV, Comcast, Grinnel insurance (for my truck) and now, Mutual Of Omaha. WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT PAY THESE CROOKS BY DIRECT PAYMENT FROM YOUR BANK ACCOUNT BECAUSE YOU'LL HAVE TO WATCH ALL OF THEM LIKE A HAWK.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2015

I have a short term disability policy through my job with MOO. I had total knee replacement surgery on January 13, 2015. Although my claim began December 8, 2014, I didn't receive my first payment until January 5, 2015, and that was only after they had to send it by UPS because they claimed they sent two checks that I haven't received to this day and I'm still waiting on two checks they claim they mailed on the 14th of January. And today is the 27th and I still haven't received them.

In the meantime I'm facing eviction, phone being disconnected and a few more very embarrassing things. They claim they don't have direct deposit which I find virtually impossible!! I just feel no one is working to rectify this problem. My whole purpose for taking out this policy was to prevent these situations from happening in case of a medical problem, but MUTUAL OF OMAHA is definitely not turning out to be the company that I had envisioned it to be and they definitely don't have the good reputation I thought they had.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2014

In 2007 my wife had Cancer and fought a battle with it for around three [3] to four [4] years and was eventually told by her Cancer Doctor that she was in remission and every test showed she was clear. She began to heal, became active and was finally going out to the stores. She had recovered most of her strength when one morning she got up and told me she wanted to go visiting. She went to the get her coffee and I followed shortly but she called and said she had fallen. When I got to her, she was having trouble breathing so I called her son and an ambulance. She was on the floor and told me she had tripped on her dogs rag doll, fell hitting her head on a 3 tier coffee table and chest on wooden chair arm. Then she quit breathing and I told the 911 operator. The ambulance arrived but they could get no response so they took her to the ER where she was pronounced DOA. Later I filed a claim as the death certificate said "Her injuries due to Fall" with a off note at the bottom that she had had Cancer.

M of H refuse to pay. I sent a claim to three [3] other Insurance Companies and they paid within three [3] weeks. M of H refused so I hired an attorney and after several month, they settled for $1,000.00 under the amount of the policy which was $50,000.00 but I had to pay attorney fees and received $30,000.00. My attorney got his commission, plus M of H had to pay an Attorney here in Dallas County meaning it cost them more than the original claim. It took around two [2] years to settle. I wanted to go to Court but my attorney wanted to settle. BUT there's another story about M of H not wanting to pay on that John Wayne Cancer Policy but I will stop here. My suggestion, if anyone has Mutual of Omaha, CHANGE, you may not get your money but will have a fight on your hand. So far, friends who followed my problem have passed and many people have dropped M of H to Another Company.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2014

They are Incredibly slow processing payments. Then told me I owed for 3mths coverage. And it's stupid to be able to pay with credit card on the phone. But not online.

Original review: March 13, 2014

I took out Mutual Of Omaha LTD plan, they told me that my payment was 159 a month in writing. I was charged 167.00. I had a disability claim and they denied my claim stating it was a pre-existing condition. I didn't fight it as I had too much going on, and the premiums were too much as I was disabled. They rescinded the policy and gave me six months of my premiums back, however then reported me for Fraud to the State of Banking and Insurance where I could be fined. They had access to all my medical records prior to my approval. Do not sign up with them at all. It took them six months to deny my claim and then they report you. Bad company all around.

Mutual of Omaha expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Mutual of Omaha was founded in 1909 and began selling health insurance policies the following year. It administered Medicare parts A and B when the program started in 1966. Today, Mutual of Omaha offers a variety of supplement insurance policies for Medicare recipients so consumers can find a plan that fits their needs and budget.

• Household discount: When multiple people living in the same household both have a Medicare supplement insurance from Mutual of Omaha, each member receives discount on their plan.

• Instant quote: Interested consumers can get an instant quote by visiting Mutual of Omaha’s website. They simply enter their date of birth, zip code and whether or not they use tobacco, and the site will show them plan availability and costs for their location.

• Saturday hours: Customer service representatives are available from 8:00am to 8:00pm on weekdays and for more limited hours on Saturdays and Sundays, so consumers can get help even on weekends.

• Best for: Mutual of Omaha is best for those looking for a company with an extensive history of working with Medicare.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy

Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance Company Information