Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance

Compare Medicare Supplemental Insurance

Research top Medicare Supplemental Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Being policy holders for Omaha's Supplemental plan my wife and I received letters telling us to call an 800 number to opt out of their information sharing program. Wanted to stop their frequent solicitation for life insurance, etc. On Nov 17, I called and gave them my policy number and their associate changed mine. Asked to change my wife's. The woman wanted a power of attorney sent to them because it was a policy change if my wife couldn't talk to her. My wife is in her 90's and has dementia. I told her she wouldn't understand her. If it was a policy change, there should be an endorsement sent out to us which I doubt will happen or that it is really a part of the policy. She was just being a mean and obstinate - give some elderly a hard time over an inconsequential matter. Typical big insurance harassment.

My wife and I enrolled with Mutual of Omaha Supplemental Plan F when we retired and recommended the same to family and friends. We maintained the policies for 6 years, through the annual price increases, until this year. We felt the increases were too much, too often so we decided to try another company and different plan...big mistake. Through the years with Mutual of Omaha, we didn't pay anything above the premium and we incurred some pretty steep medical expenses. Not one charge was disputed or, as far as I know, payment delayed. I plan to apply for reinstatement with Mutual of Omaha during the Open Enrollment period at the end of this year. Think about the future when considering insurance plans.

I purchased a supplemental cancer policy through Mutual of Omaha in 2012. In early 2014 I was diagnosed with cancer. The policy agreed to cover radiation, chemotherapy AND ANY ILLNESS RESULTING FROM TREATMENT of the cancer. They ended up paying some on the radiation treatment but NOTHING for the chemotherapy I received. Also, I could not get the hospital (Renown in Reno, NV) to send me an itemized bill saying Mutual of Omaha would need to contact them directly. I did send them what bills I had from the chemo and they clearly stated that they were for chemo. However, Mutual of Omaha flat out refused to pay anything and never contacted me OR the hospital for additional information. Additionally, I was hospitalized after treatment with sepsis and UTI as a DIRECT result of the treatment. Mutual of Omaha refused to pay.

I called them and they said they would review the case and then REFUSED to pay again even after I read them the language in my policy that said they would pay for conditions or illnesses caused by the TREATMENT of the cancer. The claims examiners clearly have NO CLUE about cancer and how sepsis and UTI's are a common side effect from radiation. They kept telling me they don't pay for UTI's and also ignored the "sepsis" diagnosis clearly written on the bill. They continued to ignore the bills for chemotherapy as well. Being so ill, I finally gave up with trying to collect. I think that's what they counted on. I would never recommend Mutual of Omaha to anyone. They should be ashamed of themselves but I doubt they have a conscience.

I have been a customer for quite a while. I pay 116.50 per month. I think the policy is **. I have yet to receive a copy of the policy. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Was with them for 8 years, never missed a payment. Had to change a bank account number (because of family issues) where their Premiums were paid out of. A check was sent back to Mutual of Omaha because of this. That being my fault which I followed up on. I was told that they would consider reinstatement after doing exactly what they had asked. What a waste of time. I did all that they wanted and then they dug into my health records. If this ever happens to you, you might just as well consider your insurance cancelled. Because we have 2 residence our mail is forwarded and when the notice came it was a little late which took me out of the grace period. However, it was not until the second letter that they had referred to this.

The worst customer service I have ever had. Asked to talk to a supervisor after several phone calls, forget that. They kept wanting me to write and appeal letter of which I did, overnighted 2 of them at the cost of 24 dollars each. I had to have back surgery over a year ago which they obviously approved or I couldn't have had it. Now this was their reason for taking my insurance "out of force." After that I had cataract surgery which they approved. Why would they approve this if they had planned to drop me? Often wondered after this why Medigap insurance. Especially from this company, which I changed over to 8 years ago as my agent told me "they never let you down". What a mistake that was. Absolutely no consideration. They have been a pain.

This is what happens when you become a senior. So be careful with this inconsiderate company. Anything they can find to drop your insurance I am sure makes them pleased, especially when you are a senior citizen. Thanks for listening. If lawyers were not so expensive I would take this to one. But now I will just look for another secondary insurance company. Thanks for listening.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha?

In trying to check on benefits for one of my clients today, I went through the worst customer service experience with an insurance company I have had to date. When I called the number on the insurance card I was directed to check their website for benefits and eligibility, which I did. However, the website failed to explain if this person had hearing aid benefits or not, so I tried calling their customer service number again. At that point, after going through more automated menus than I can count, I was simply read what the website had already told me but still was not the information I needed.

At no point could I get an operator on the line. So, I went back to the website again and found a way to submit my question to them that way, which I did. More than 2 hours later I received an email from them, but in order to access this email I had to create a "secure account" requiring me to sign up with an email and a password (seems phishy to me).

After jumping through a few more hoops, I was then finally able access this "secure email" which simply told me that all of the information I needed was on their website and to go check there... WHICH I HAD ALREADY DONE!!! BUT, if I still could not find the answer, I could call their 1-800 number, which conveniently is only open for 5 hours a day and was closed at that point. Ugh... At this point, I sent them a reply to their email telling them all of the steps I had taken and that their customer service was the worst I had ever dealt with. I sincerely hope they don't treat their customers as poorly as they treat the providers!!

I had checked your website first and could not see ANY information on there regarding hearing aid benefits. When I then tried to call your provider help line for further clarification, I was simply tossed into a loop that read the benefits that were posted on the website and did not allow for further assistance which is why I then emailed my question to you. Your reply conveniently was sent AFTER your provider help line closes for the day, and so in total my efforts to get information for my patient were completely useless. Being a provider that works primarily with the elderly population and deals with many Medicare gap insurance companies, I can safely say this is the most unhelpful insurance company I have ever dealt with, and you will never receive a good review from me. God help your clients... They will need it in their dealings with your company if you treat them as poorly as you treat providers.

I have had Mutual of Omaha Supplemental Insurance since September of 2011. In 3 1/2 years, my premiums have increased 6 times: $85.82 for 13 months, $92.69 for 3 months, $105.66 for 8 months, $109.79 for 4 months, $122.96 for 8 months, $127.78 for 6 months and now $139.29. This is a 62% increase over 3 1/2 years. Why? I thought insurance premiums were supposed to be going down.

Posted 2/9/15................ After signing up with Mutual of Omaha via a local agent I already knew and I'm now looking at this month's bank statement that shows, from 1/13/15 to 2/2/15 MOH drew THREE direct debit payments of $108.34 from my account!! Let's see - that's over $324 they stole from me in under 18 days!!! I'm going to see my agent tomorrow morning and demand that he straighten this out in 24 hours or I'm going to the police and file a criminal complaint for fraud and a small claims suit for $8,000 for the same thing.

It's amazing that since I bought my house in July of 20134 every single company I've dealt with has screwed me AFTER signing a contract with them. Including DirecTV, Comcast, Grinnel insurance (for my truck) and now, Mutual Of Omaha. WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT PAY THESE CROOKS BY DIRECT PAYMENT FROM YOUR BANK ACCOUNT BECAUSE YOU'LL HAVE TO WATCH ALL OF THEM LIKE A HAWK.

I have a short term disability policy through my job with MOO. I had total knee replacement surgery on January 13, 2015. Although my claim began December 8, 2014, I didn't receive my first payment until January 5, 2015, and that was only after they had to send it by UPS because they claimed they sent two checks that I haven't received to this day and I'm still waiting on two checks they claim they mailed on the 14th of January. And today is the 27th and I still haven't received them.

In the meantime I'm facing eviction, phone being disconnected and a few more very embarrassing things. They claim they don't have direct deposit which I find virtually impossible!! I just feel no one is working to rectify this problem. My whole purpose for taking out this policy was to prevent these situations from happening in case of a medical problem, but MUTUAL OF OMAHA is definitely not turning out to be the company that I had envisioned it to be and they definitely don't have the good reputation I thought they had.

In 2007 my wife had Cancer and fought a battle with it for around three [3] to four [4] years and was eventually told by her Cancer Doctor that she was in remission and every test showed she was clear. She began to heal, became active and was finally going out to the stores. She had recovered most of her strength when one morning she got up and told me she wanted to go visiting. She went to the get her coffee and I followed shortly but she called and said she had fallen. When I got to her, she was having trouble breathing so I called her son and an ambulance. She was on the floor and told me she had tripped on her dogs rag doll, fell hitting her head on a 3 tier coffee table and chest on wooden chair arm. Then she quit breathing and I told the 911 operator. The ambulance arrived but they could get no response so they took her to the ER where she was pronounced DOA. Later I filed a claim as the death certificate said "Her injuries due to Fall" with a off note at the bottom that she had had Cancer.

M of H refuse to pay. I sent a claim to three [3] other Insurance Companies and they paid within three [3] weeks. M of H refused so I hired an attorney and after several month, they settled for $1,000.00 under the amount of the policy which was $50,000.00 but I had to pay attorney fees and received $30,000.00. My attorney got his commission, plus M of H had to pay an Attorney here in Dallas County meaning it cost them more than the original claim. It took around two [2] years to settle. I wanted to go to Court but my attorney wanted to settle. BUT there's another story about M of H not wanting to pay on that John Wayne Cancer Policy but I will stop here. My suggestion, if anyone has Mutual of Omaha, CHANGE, you may not get your money but will have a fight on your hand. So far, friends who followed my problem have passed and many people have dropped M of H to Another Company.

They are Incredibly slow processing payments. Then told me I owed for 3mths coverage. And it's stupid to be able to pay with credit card on the phone. But not online.

I took out Mutual Of Omaha LTD plan, they told me that my payment was 159 a month in writing. I was charged 167.00. I had a disability claim and they denied my claim stating it was a pre-existing condition. I didn't fight it as I had too much going on, and the premiums were too much as I was disabled. They rescinded the policy and gave me six months of my premiums back, however then reported me for Fraud to the State of Banking and Insurance where I could be fined. They had access to all my medical records prior to my approval. Do not sign up with them at all. It took them six months to deny my claim and then they report you. Bad company all around.

We have been customers, both my husband and I, since 2009. It has been recently that I have had problems with them posting our payments. I have had to write to the company 2 times. I have a local associate, LuAnne, who stated she was helping me but was not; I received a letter stating that they were very sorry that they misposted our payments and through all of this, LuAnne stated that I did not owe until May. Then I got another letter stating that I have to get checks from all the way back from 2010 to prove my payments that they misposted. So all of that money that I have been paying for life insurance benefits for my husband and I are gone because I do not have the money to get all of those posted checks. I plan on writing to the State Attorney General for help. I feel they ripped us off due to their accounting.

I had a policy for supplemental hospital coverage for almost fifty years. When I turned 65, they increased my premium rates by 400%. I could not afford this kind of increase and made a complaint. Their answer was they did it because they can. They stated they do this to everyone who turns 65 and that it is not age discrimination. Of course it is. They bank of the fact that most seniors cannot bare the load of a 400% increase and will let the policy lapse; thereby freeing them from any responsibility to maintain coverage during the years when a customer will need it most. Shame on them.

I attempted to get a long-term disability due to my failing health. My doctor agreed that I could no longer work due to my deteriorating health but Mutual of Omaha denied my claim. They are the worst insurance company. Please do not pay them your hard earned money. This company is a scam.

I was on medical leave from work from 6/5 to 8/1. One of our benefits through my employer is short term disability through these people (Mutual of Omaha). I understand the 15-day wait period. I got paid from 6/15 through 6/29. I've seen my doctor on Monday, June 4th and then again on Thursday, June 21st. The next date my doctor scheduled my re-evaluation was for July 18th or 19th, I believe. Well the intelligent people of MOO sent a request for more information to my doctor on July 2nd and he sent them back something that stated he was not seeing me until July 18/19 for re-evaluation. Apparently, this was not good enough for them. They again resent my doctor something not until July 18th. Mind you, I am not getting paid this entire time. Mind you, I have rent to pay, a phone, car insurance, gas, etc. So they are re-evaluating information and should know by July 31st (even though I am going back August 1st).

I called again on July 31st because my phone is being shut off, I need to pay my medical insurance through work and the list goes on. Well, I guess they need to send it to another medical evaluator. This is just pure **. My doctor is board-certified, he was the head doctor of the east area of a big organization dealing specifically with my illness and I know he is more accredited than any schmuck they have working for them! So now I have not gotten paid at all for the entire month of July. These ** at MOO are completely unapologetic, they do not care about your bills, they do not offer any sympathy or empathy for their pathetic scam of evaluating everything for months (i.e. my paperwork sitting on someone's desk for a month).

Now that I just started working again and this Friday was payday, I will not get paid for another two weeks and I have like no money. This is ridiculous. Nobody gives a ** about anything. The employer cannot even offer advance so hopefully, I don't have to miss work because I have no gas in my car! I am going to file a claim against them with the Better Business Bureau because this is **. Short term disability is supposed to be there for you while you are out of work so you can actually live and pay bills! I cannot do this! Thanks a lot **! If there is not a check in the mail on Monday, I am going to sue these **!

Rates for Medicare Supplemental Insurance: Mutual of Omaha has raised our rates twice a year on our Medicare Supplemental Insurance. Old people on a fixed income can't afford rate increases twice a year.

I am Frank's POA and we received his bill. I made an error because I had Bell’s palsy and I could not see out of one eye and I missed the 30 day pay period. My husband had lung cancer, heart attack and brain tumor. I was worn out. I too was supposed to have knee surgery but the doctor said my body was depleted. I have had lots of pain in my legs and I overlooked this bill. I asked if they would please reinstate Frank but I received a letter saying no. Frank has paid into this since 1999, and has never missed a payment. The letter said because of claims, they would not reinstate him. It is okay for the company to take your money but if you have an honest problem they won't help, shame on this company. He now has no insurance.

I got hail damage in my home. The insurance only paid part of the damage and I was mad how the insurance just underestimated the damage. My husband was approached at work by ARAC Experts contractors claiming they can help us get the insurance to cover the damages if we agreed to let them do the work. I was at work and my husband met them. They gave him the contract. Since I am the insured, he wasn't on the policy. They asked him if he could sign my name, so he did. They met with the insurance adjuster and got it approved; not all the damage, but more than the initial settlement. When I got the check, they asked for a copy of what was paid for and my bank information, which made me wonder why they needed my bank info. I took a second look at the contract and found out the contract was really against what I would consider normal business practice. No estimate on what they will charge the total, only said insurance proceeds.

They can put a lien on my property if "they" don't pay the company that supplies materials or labor. I have to provide them with my financial information on the mortgage and I can't contract any additional work to my home without "their" approval by any other contractor. There's a lot more to this, but all of these made it feel like they were a shady company. I looked on BBB, they have complaints for poor quality work and never resolved complaints. I feel they are crooks and that's why they have all these waivers in their contract to protect them from their shady practices. I also looked up their address in Omaha, it doesn't exist and it seems they are based on Missouri. Am I responsible if they pressured my husband to sign my name so they can close the deal? My mother-in-law also signed a contract for their home and their business, I don't want them to do cheap work and run or take my money and run. I feel that I am going to get ripped off by them. The contract states that I have to pay 30% of total insurance estimate if I don't want them to do the work. I feel that they are up to no good and they need to be stopped.

My mother at 89 years of age had emphysema and was on low dose of oxygen at 2 liters. That year, she fell and broke 4 ribs. While at the hospital, she acquired hospital related pneumonia, which was documented as such in her medical records. She died from complications of pneumonia a week after being discharged from the hospital and being sent to rehab. She paid on an accidental death policy for 25 years of which my brother was the beneficiary. Mutual of Omaha refused to pay on the policy even though her treating doctor for the last 3 months of her life wrote that she was in no danger of dying from emphysema but died from complications of pneumonia, which was contracted from breaking her ribs in an accidental fall.

Mutual of Omaha said that because she had emphysema, she would have eventually died from that so they refused to pay. They said if she had a disease that she could eventually die from, they did not have to honor the policy. They sure didn't refuse her premiums every month for 25 years. This is so wrong it makes me sick. This is how they treat their customers and the elderly who trusted them. She died in Grapevine, Texas 2009.

My sister and her husband are disabled. Their youngest son (24 years old) had been handling their financial affairs through his checking account. When he passed away unexpectedly, I agreed to help their daughter straighten out their finances. I tried to get Mutual of Omaha to send the bills for my sister's Medicare supplemental insurance to her daughter.

The first phone call, Customer Service couldn't find her record. For the second call, Customer Service said it couldn't work with me because I wasn't the insured. I had to ask my sister, still grief stricken from the loss of her child, to call them to verify that I had authorization. Then Customer Service at first refused to accept her phone call as approval. The third call I spoke with a very cold, rude woman who insisted that direct-charging a checking account was the only way to pay the bill and that Mutual of Omaha refused to accept debit or credit cards. And since I was offering to pay with a check, the payment was due immediately even though the direct-charge option was set-up for mid-month processing. She ended the call by telling me this was a one-time favor which would never happen again.

With Customer Service people like this, I'm surprised the company has survived as long as it has. I'm going to ask my sister to review other plans and give Mutual of Omaha the big kiss-off.

I work a physical job on a wood yard for a paper mill (shoveling, raking, heavy equipment and et cetera). I missed work back in December, 2010. I went out for six months; I was treated by orthopedic doctors for wear and tear to shoulder and lumbar and cervical regions of the spine. Tests show degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, and other problems. I had difficulty getting coverage, but with patience, finally received benefits. Short term benefits ran out in early June, and should have continued with trying to get long term benefits. After talking with doctors and my employer, I decided to retire since I just recently turned 62. The last six months that I worked, some of my co-workers saw that I was struggling. They were afraid I would get injured (worse on the job).

Matt ** of Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance has been very polite, but I don't understand why it is so difficult to get benefits. I just received another letter today (July 22), that in compliance with the ERISA Act, they would need another 30 days to review my claim. This is the second time. Others whom I have spoken with have had the same problem, and feel that Mutual hopes that if they drag the process out, clients will grow frustrated and give up. That is why I am contacting you, the BBB, and possibly our congressman for help.

I received the first bill for two new policies. The dollar amounts were wrong. I have been going round and round for about 2 weeks with this. I paid $1.00 for 3 months as advertised on 3/3/2011. The dollars do not matter. What does matter is they are not listening or letting me talk to anyone who knows and has common sense. Here's an example. One policy says for 1st year $123.40 is due 6/3/2011. I got billed $163.20. In 2 pages of the policy, it definitely says first year $123.40 then 84 years @ $163.20 yearly. I asked them to explain to me why it says that in 2 pages of the policy. No one can answer that.

After a while they all sounded like parrots. You paid $1.00 for the first 3 months, then you pay $163.20 from then on. They cannot answer the question "why does it say that in 2 pages of my policy?" Two of them said, "We don't write the policies." So I said, "Alright, I'll talk to someone who does and can give me a good and correct explanation." Their answer is they can't do that. They don't talk to anyone. I cannot talk to someone higher up. I called what I thought was customer relations, but can't talk to anyone really in charge. Their attitude? "Oh well." I called back and told them to cancel both policies and I will go elsewhere. I also told them I'm making formal complaints to BBB, Consumer Affairs and the Nevada Dept of Insurance. Also, that I am writing to the corporate headquarters. I'll send the letter; however,who does it go to? I wonder if this company knows what's going on or really cares?

The $ amounts are not really that important. What is important is that is says a certain amount and that's what you should pay. The other is the way employees are treating their customers. Definitely not good PR.

I signed up for a Medicare Supplement policy through a 3rd party provider in November. The policy was to go in effect on January 1, 2011. I paid the first month premium in advance. Once I got the actual policy, 4 weeks after signing up I realized that the policy was too restrictive and sent it back to Mutual of Omaha with a note explaining that I did not want this policy and to refund me my deposit. I called them today, 3 weeks after returning the policy to them because I have not yet received my refund. I was told that it would take between 45- 60 days to get my refund.

I applied for insurance in Nov 2009 and in August 2010 filed a claim. I was aware there would be extensive medical records required. However all that was requested by the insurance company was supplied. They would request one document at a time and prolonged their response, that was three months ago.

To this date there has not been one check received. I have called them continuously to be told that it is still pending. I assisted in getting the info needed to help expedite the process. They would ask for one, get the needed document and complain they needed another document. This continues to go on. The claim is still not paid and still going into 3months.

They received monthly drafts from a checking acct. Those funds were taken out on time. But now that I have paid for the policy, I am required to be patient and to understand their concerns and business policy that prolongs my disability checks. I realize you can go back 10 yrs for preexisting medical issues, but my condition was not diagnosed 10 yrs ago. The doctors offices have had to fax docs to them 2 and 3 times because they keep saying they have not received them, or they will say they don't understand the doctors report. It is a frustrating mess.

I am losing my home, my mortgage has not been paid while waiting for them to process this claim. If they could have been more efficient with their processing procedures I would not be faced with the foreclosure I will soon be subjected to.

The company increased my supplemental policy this year from $l24 monthly to $156 monthly. I am on a fixed income, but I need a supplement to my medicare. This monthly increase is over $30! I will now have to find a plan that pays well but is cheaper. No company should be allowed to increase a policy for 16% monthly.

In October of 2008, my doctor recommended long term IV treatment for Chronic Lyme Disease. This involved a PICC line to inject myself daily and nursing visits weekly. I went out on disability for treatment. Not only have I not received a dime from Mutual of Omaha on my disability policy, they continued to tell me they need more information. They continue to tell my lawyer they need more information, they've repeatedly lost data, do not investigate claims and do not return phone calls. This ,in my opinion, is very bad faith!

I have been denied a short-term disability claim. I appealed. As the end of the nine week appeal period approached, I received form letter stating they were entitled to another nine weeks (45 business days). Do not be deceived. This is a rouge company. One thing we can all do is complain to the Nebraska BBB where they enjoy an A+ rating. If enough of us will do this (easily online) we can move that dial. As a wage and commission earner out for almost two months, I had had serious financial consequences.

I became very ill 14 months ago. I was sent to all the wrong doctors. Finally, I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease and Babesia. I'm under treatment with slow progress. I have three MDs saying this is Lyme disease with immune response, IG blood work is abnormal, and that IVIG replacement therapy is recommended. I filed LTD with Mutual of Omaha on January 8, 2009. I'm still awaiting answer, but I am told by Frank ** that it will probably be a denial. I have no income all year, losing house, and I cannot pay my medical expenses.

I have long and short term disability insurance. In July of 2008, my hip collapsed, causing me to have an immediate surgery. With this surgery several things had gone wrong - two hip dislocations and two additional surgeries and two very serious blood clots. Full intentions were to go back to work within six weeks of the surgery. The company that I work for was sold last year to another company. When the new company came in, insurance providers were changed. I previously had short term disability with AFLAC, but this was not a policy that the new company offered. If we wanted disability insurance we had to go with Mutual of Omaha.

It took 68 days for them to finally pay short term disability. I received checks for six weeks and now the policy is going into long term. Now after another 35 days without income, they are denying my claim for long term, stating they need to go back further into my records. I have gotten them every record they have ever requested. Had it not been for the displacements of my hip and the two blood clots and the last surgery in September, I would be back to work now. They are saying because I didn't have a long term policy two years ago, I do not qualify. Every time I call, they say they need to review it. I have talked to so many people, every day it is in another review board. They have every one of my medical records. It is very frustrating. The doctor will not release me for another seven weeks.

Expert Review

Cyril TuohyInsurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.    More about Cyril→

Mutual of Omaha was founded in 1909 and began selling health insurance policies the following year. It administered Medicare parts A and B when the program started in 1966. Today, Mutual of Omaha offers a variety of supplement insurance policies for Medicare recipients so consumers can find a plan that fits their needs and budget.

• Household discount: When multiple people living in the same household both have a Medicare supplement insurance from Mutual of Omaha, each member receives discount on their plan.
  • Instant quote: Interested consumers can get an instant quote by visiting Mutual of Omaha’s website. They simply enter their date of birth, zip code and whether or not they use tobacco, and the site will show them plan availability and costs for their location.
  • Saturday hours: Customer service representatives are available from 8:00am to 8:00pm on weekdays and for more limited hours on Saturdays and Sundays, so consumers can get help even on weekends.
  • Best for Mutual of Omaha is best for those looking for a company with an extensive history of working with Medicare.

Compare Medicare Supplemental Insurance