3.8/5 (627 ratings)

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started

About Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance

Mutual of Omaha is a provider of Medicare supplemental insurance. The company offers a user-friendly website experience for those who want to compare plans and get quotes online. It offers several policy options, as well as foreign travel protection. Its coverage includes Plan F, G and N in Medicare Parts A and B.

Pros

• Easy online quotes
  • Multiple plan options
  • Foreign travel coverage

Cons

• Can be expensive
  • Limited enrollment periods

Bottom Line

Mutual of Omaha offers Medicare supplement insurance for older adults, closing gaps in coverage that lead to out-of-pocket costs. You can get a free quote online to see your payment and policy options.

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance?

Original review: June 3, 2020

Mutual of Omaha claims representative was very rude and not helpful at all. I made the mistake of paying deductible at very first doctor visit for the new year. She told me I had to call each doctor & straighten out myself. I am semi retired & had a lifetime of experience in accounting and customer service. She failed on both. Plus I am a new customer with Mutual of Omaha. Now I am having trouble with refunds on script side that was back ordered. So in my mind this company is difficult to work with.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Juanita. Thanks for the message. We take your concerns seriously and would like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: April 17, 2020

I am now paying $395 a month for a Medigap policy from Mutual, and I joined their drug plan which has a high deductible of $435 before they would pay for my medications. Then they changed my eye drops for glaucoma, which I have had for 30 yrs, to higher tier, and told me I had to take the new generic version of the med I was on, I did and had a bad reaction from it and my doctor put me back on the original med. after calling the drug plan. Instead of me paying $25 co-pay as described in my plan when I signed up I have to pay $91 per month for this med. Totally disgusted with mutual. Stay away from them.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Jerry. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

This company is insane. Rates are unbearable. Since I took this 4 years ago rates have raised 25.00 a year and this year 50.00. When I took this I was told there might be periodic rate increases from time to time. Heck every year and huge. Will find another company!!!! 125.00 increase in 4 years. Retired people cannot afford them or want to. That means in 10 years it will be 800 to a 1000. Most of people’s checks. I can pay the left over myself by then!!!! Others I know say the same thing.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Donna. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We understand your concerns with rate increases. While it’s not our desire to raise rates, we do our best to minimize rate increases unless they’re absolutely necessary. We’d like to listen if you’d like to talk with one of our customer care team about the specifics of your policy. You can reach us at 800-775-3000 or email your preferred contact number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

Updated on 04/15/2020: Ok back in February I complained cause I got several different quotes on my insulin’s so I filed a complaint. About the first week in March I received a call from a rep from the corporate office in Ohio. She told me that I would be getting a check for 630 & change as a refund. Also I had received a check for about 10 $ which I got both checks. Everything was fine until the first week in April when I received a statement that I owed about 415 dollars. Does anyone in this company have a clue about math? It would seem to me that someone from corporate would be of how the billing works.

Original Review: On 1/28/2020 I called to price my **. I had 3 -- **, ** & **. Was given a price for all 3 1125.65 so I approved them. On 1/29/2020 I checked my bank & they had taken the money out so I went in their site to see a status. That’s when I saw they had removed my ** from the order so I called & got it restored to the order. On 1/30/2020 I checked my credit card & they had charged another 63+ dollars so I call. They remove the charge. On 1/31/2020 I checked their site & cancelled all my ** so back on phone where I talk to another supervisor who then gives me a price of 1107 dollars & change so a little cheaper. I approve.

On 2/1/2020 here we are again. They ready the **, & ** with a note to call on my ** so on the phone again where they tell me that I need to pay more money a 1000 dollars to be exact. They say I haven’t paid my deductible so I ask for a manager. They finally get one to call me after they hung up. So he calls. He’s trying to help but his program won’t allow him to so he cancels the ** again. He then fills a ticket for his IT group to work on that. Will take a week so he say he will have a top manager call me within 24 hours. No call. So today I call to see if they can give me an extra week of **. The supervisor said yes & set it up. A couple of hours later I check my credit card where there’s a charge for 790 dollars. Wtf. So I call again. The supervisor was a **. Keep in mind except for the First Lady the rest were supervisor.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Randy. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I've had Plan F for 8 years from MOO and always paid for a full year in advance. For years I would get the same song and dance letter about I was getting older and due to other costs my premium was going up usually $300. to $400 a year. Last year my premium was $2760. and I almost went into shock when my premium notice came this year almost doubling the premium over $4,400. That's like $375. a month for insurance that only covers 20% and some small deductibles. At the same time I went with MOO I recommended a friend to take it. They did the same thing to her this year. I had moved from Wisc to Maryland, but she had been a lifetime Maryland resident and MOO almost doubled hers also.

I have read where MOO is phasing out Plan F so they aren't accepting new customers and the ones of us that have been with them for years are getting robbed. Outrageous, Shocked and Disgusted all apply here. What kind of company does that to seniors? If I could give MOO zero stars I would do it. They say, "We can have a representative call you." For what. To hand you the same song and dance they in their increase letter?

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Nancy. Thanks taking the time to provide a review. We understand your concerns with rate increases. While it’s not our desire to raise rates, we do our best to minimize rate increases unless they’re absolutely necessary. We’d like to listen if you’d like to talk with one of our customer care team about the specifics of your policy. You can reach us at 800-775-3000 or email your preferred contact number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

My wife and I have had Plan G for two years. Premiums for 2020 are going up almost 20.4%. They went up 12.8% last year. Health care is expensive and there is always some inflation. However, we paid over $3,000 in premiums for 2019 and MOO paid $845 totally for the both of us. That's some profit margin!

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Thomas. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We understand your concerns with rate increases. While it’s not our desire to raise rates, we do our best to minimize rate increases unless they’re absolutely necessary. We’d like to listen if you’d like to talk with one of our customer care team about the specifics of your policy. You can reach us at 800-775-3000 or email your preferred contact number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

Mutual of Omaha's RX division needs to spend some time investigating their billing issues. I just read a negative review about it that is a carbon copy of what I am experiencing with them. I keep getting notice that my direct billing is being returned by my bank and that is not the case. I have had 3 reps assure me that NOW they are establishing my direct billing and it falls through each time. On top of that, you cannot understand the reps so I really doubt if they understand me. This has been soooo frustrating.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

Stay away from this company – they seem totally incompetent. MoO’s entire Medicare supplemental process is so non-intuitive that it’s impossible to understand its enrollment, customer services and separate billing systems. Despite multiple attempts during Summer 2019 to let MoO Rx know I wasn’t being billed, I was consistently told by the automated system and by Customer Service reps that I had a $0 balance. Apparently data from MoO’s Part B supplemental and data from MoO Rx do not share data for the same policy holder. MoO Rx “prescription” billing doesn’t even share data with MoO Rx premium billing. Case notes during phone calls are also kept separate and having the correct address in one part of the MoO system doesn’t mean that the correct data will be shared in their other systems, even within MoO Rx.

Without any notification, MoO Rx cancelled my policy over the Labor Day weekend for lack of payment. Although I re-enrolled on Sept 4 and paid all of the back charges via credit card, they then cancelled my “new” policy for lack of payment on the original policy. I filed a grievance with them but they still refused to reinstate my Rx policy.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Sara. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I have had this policy for 7 years and have never disputed any payments or non-payments by the company. It is gap coverage and that is what it does. I do not miss any sleep worrying about my co-pays concerning my medical bills.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

This is a great insurance and company; however, while other supplement insurers have been raising rates by $5-$6 per year, Mutual of Omaha's United World Health has raised the price $9 plus dollars and THIS year $26. I can't help it if a doctor can scrape off a bit of loose skin, send it for analysis, then charge for an OPERATION and other fees. Though, from what Medicare does by only allowing a small portion of the bill, then paying only 80% & the supplement the rest, I can see why doctors do it - to try to break even.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

As a licensed insurance agent, I searched out the best. This is the company I recommend to my clients. My experience for claims payment and service for the past 4 years are fantastic. Had complete hip replacement with a 45 day stay in rehab. All paid for with Medicare and my supplement. Other events of hospital stays, etc. Cannot be more pleased. Rates are very much in line with my Plan G.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

After six years of paying my Medicare Supplement policy premium every month Mutual of Omaha is raising my premium 79% on December 1, 2019. I have moved from North Carolina to Florida and that triggered a 55% increase. Then, they compounded it by 12% because they paid out all of $3000 in claims last year and finally another 3% was added after the 55% and 12% were combined. Now, the rate of $249 is higher than if I got a Florida policy based on my current age of 71 even though in Florida a 71 year old who took out the policy at 65 would be paying the same 65 year old rate for life. But now I have to pay a rate even higher than the older person rate this year and I am subject to having my rate increased every year until dead.

I attempted to switch to a Mutual of Omaha Florida Policy that was exactly the same plan even at the the higher rate but they refused citing preexisting conditions. Let's see: I am willing to accept a one time 79% increase but Mutual of Omaha says no because they now want to impose preexisting conditions. Let's see: Same Company as for the past 6 years, Same Medicare Plan as for the Past 6 years. What's different is that they are saying that they can stick it to me and that they are going to stick it to me and raise my rate every year. When I ask Mutual of Omaha about it they said "the insurance commission approved it." When I asked the insurance commissioner (NC) why they approved such a high increase, they said it was based on information provided. I asked who provided it and they answered, "Mutual of Omaha." Go figure! PS. The Florida Insurance Commission says "It is not our problem."

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Randy. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We understand your concerns with rate increases. While it’s not our desire to raise rates, we do our best to minimize rate increases unless they’re absolutely necessary. We’d like to listen if you’d like to talk with one of our customer care team about the specifics of your policy. You can reach us at 800-775-3000 or email your preferred contact number and to customercare@mutualofomaha.com.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

Mutual of Omaha is okay. It pays the twenty percent like it is suppose to. It is the doctor's agents who don't send the proper paperwork who screw things up. I don't like that some counties the people living there get free supplemental insurance and I have to pay.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

My husband went on Plan G this year. We have had excellent customer service and any claims have gone through quickly with no errors. Now we'll see what the rate increase is but so far we are very pleased with the company. Plan G was the way to go & so glad we didn't listen to broker & pick plan F.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

This is the best insurance company I've experienced. Others I have dealt don't seem too involved with family or being personable. The representatives seem knowledgeable and caring. I've had no problem with speaking with a real person instead of an automated phone system.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I'm beginning to think that all insurance is about the same. Although my husband had a catastrophic event this year and the insurance kept us from exhausting our assets, for common things, it's expensive for the coverage it provides, especially the drug plan. Prior to selecting the MO Omaha drug plan to supplement the insurance and Medicare I did extensive research to make sure that the single prescription medication I need was on their formulary. It was, however, when I tried to fill it the first time, I was denied coverage for it because of my age. There was nothing in my research to indicate that there was an age limit attached to coverage for the medication. It took two letters and two appeals from my physician to get it covered and then the out of pocket deducible before they finally paid for it was ridiculously high for the amount I'm paying for this coverage.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I have been with Mutual of Omaha's Plan G for four years and quite happy with them. My premium increases annually but not by a significant amount. They pay balance of any medical charge without hesitancy on anything that Medicare pays.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

My main complaint is that the rate goes up each month, as well as the deductible. This is a double whammy, and makes it hard for people on a fixed income. Otherwise I have no complaints against the company.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I had Humana which was horrible. They wouldn't pay for 1/2 of the services I had or needed. They also drove me crazy calling everyday. One problem after another. I switched to Mutual of Omaha and it's been wonderful.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Great 100 percent coverage including your deductible. But the cost is pricey. However even Emergency room or hospital visit won't cost you a penny. My Emergency room bill was $35,000 and I paid $0. I can't afford to pay for the 20 percent on that amount. It's worth the cost.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I researched many part B supplements and felt Mutual of Omaha was the best value for my needs. My agent is Jennifer and she explained all my options and $ for my premiums. She called to let me know my policy was increased $10.00 a month with same excellent coverage for 2020. I can call her anytime and she will get back to me and she know a ton about insurance and is very kind. My advice is be careful as I had at least 20 fake Medicare scammers call me trying to get my SSI number and had my address. Call Mutual of Omaha. They are a safe and trusted company for Supplemental Medicare insurance. IMHO.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I was lucky to have an awesome agent who answered all our questions. So far I cannot complain about anything. Mutual of Omaha has been around for a number of years, and a company you can trust. I think it is important, especially at this time in life, when we are aging and need medical care and can’t afford to pay out of pocket.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I have a few Mutual of Omaha insurance for different areas in my life, they all are great coverage for me and my family. The coverage is great so far. My family have nothing but good service through our insurance.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Premiums are one of the lowest I’ve researched. Coverage is great. Has covered all my surgeries. EOB’s are always sent in a timely manner. Cannot complain about the service they provide. Would refer to my friends.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I have had Mutual of Omaha Supplemental Insurance since I turned 65. I chose them because they acted like they really wanted my business. The service has been outstanding. I have never had an issue. On the rare times I have had to call to get a question answered, they were very professional and courteous. I am very pleased.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I have been a Medicare Supplement customer of Mutual of Omaha since 2010; My starting premium was $120.12/mo. The premiums have increased several times during each year because of "rising costs and age," and I now find at age 73, my latest premium increase has reached $292.97, not affordable anymore! My medical costs have been very modest.They obviously want to dump this age group! We took the bait of a low starting premium during the Medigap Open Enrollment Period and get trapped, unable to change insurers later without underwriting restrictions/penalties, etc. They have paid as per coverage, but who can afford it anymore!

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Leona. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We understand your concerns with rate increases. While it’s not our desire to raise rates, we do our best to minimize rate increases unless they’re absolutely necessary. We’d like to listen if you’d like to talk with one of our customer care team about the specifics of your policy. You can reach us by phone or email your preferred contact number and the best time to reach you to us.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I called Mutual of Omaha for information. I was not assertive and was walked through the application process. And my credit card was charged for the Part G Medigap. I will have to have a letter from my employer that I am currently insured. That letter along with a part B application will need to be sent or delivered to the social security office. I am unsure how long this will take. I call to cancel the Medigap insurance. The refund will be in the form of a check, ONCE the underwriters review my request for cancellation. I am glad I had this experience, I am choosing another Medicare G provider.

Original review: July 19, 2019

Major problem. Formulary changes every couple of months. Despite medications listed on the most current formulary on Mutual of Omaha Rx site as covered on the Mutual of Omaha Rx Plus Plan they are often rejected as NOT covered. The pharmacy is not told why the medication is not covered. This means that I have to then call Mutual of Omaha Rx which is a hassle. When calling I have to tell the rep what page number the medication is on, spell it for them only to have them tell me it's not covered when the formulary that it is listed on is only 20 days old. I then ask, "Is there a specific manufacturer that you cover." Mind you this is already a generic medication. Then after further investigation the rep says, "Oh it is covered but only a certain manufacturer."

So now it's another trip to the pharmacy and having to tell the pharmacist which manufacturer that Mutual of Omaha Rx will cover. So then they have to re-fill the prescription with one from that manufacturer and try to run the prescription through again. This is Not customer friendly. This happened to me last month too on a different medication. Same scenario. If Mutual of Omaha only covers certain manufacturers they need to list the manufacturer on the formulary and also tell the pharmacy. These are not brand name drugs, they are generics which makes it all the more frustrating. I expect more out of Mutual Of Omaha. I will switch RX plans when we are allowed to at the end of the year because quite frankly either Mutual of Omaha or Express Scripts that manages it don't have their act together. Very disappointing.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Gregory. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to speak with you further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: July 13, 2019

I enrolled with Mutual of Omaha at age 65 in August 2018 for my supplemental insurance. This was my initial enrollment. I selected plan G. I was told by my broker/agent this was a good company. Things have gone well until June 2019. Then I received a letter from MOO stating my premium for the second year was going to increase by 18%. I called thinking this was a mistake. It was not a mistake. I was told by the customer rep that "well, you had $10,000 in claims this past year." I don't think my claims should have anything to do with my future premium. She also told me "well we are good, you know good ain't cheap and cheap ain't good." My broker/agent found me a new supplemental insurance supplier for about the same price as my first year insurance premium with MOO. The new company has a BETTER consumer rating than MOO. Luckily, I did not have any health issues and could answer the questions with ease. Goodbye MOO.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Nolan. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We understand your concerns with rate increases. While it’s not our desire to raise rates, we do our best to minimize rate increases unless they’re absolutely necessary. We’d like to listen if you’d like to talk with one of our customer care team about the specifics of your policy. You can reach us or email your preferred contact number and the best time to reach you. Thanks again.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I signed up for Plan F when I turned 65 because of the lack of a deductible. However, I have paid nearly $1000 every year to save a $185 deductible in North Carolina. I tried to switch to a Plan G (which is exactly the same plan except for the deductible). I was denied the opportunity to switch because of my medical history even though I have been with your company since 2013. Plan F will no longer have new enrollees in 2020 - which will drive folks without major medical issues out of Plan F. That will then drive up rates for this plan, which is already overpriced. How is this fair? Both my husband and I are getting ready to switch to a different carrier since I have been approved for a Plan G. Thanks for everything, Mutual of Omaha.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance response

Hi, Sheila. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to discuss this further with you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplemental Insurance Company Information