2. Finance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

This policy has Accelerated Benefits. I am the policy owner and my elderly mother was injured and needed a knee replacement. Her Doctor clearly stated that my mother has a Chronic Illness Condition & she requires help in 4 areas; Toileting, Transferring, Bathing & Continence which meet the criteria that Mutual of Omaha requires. Yet, despite this, M.o.O. denied our claim in a letter dated Aug 20. On or about Aug 31st, upon receipt of that letter, I called to get an explanation which did not sound valid. I then followed up with an email stating that we want to dispute the decision and move to the next level. The Rep said she will forward to a 3rd party for review.

On Sept 10,2021, we forwarded another letter from our Physician's assistant who clearly explained the situation and clarified the issue at hand. In the letter, she makes it clear that appliances were ordered but Mom’s medical insurance denied it. Therefore she needs substantial assistance from me in those 4 areas listed. So here we sit with a valid class m that they denied. Even my insurance rep stated she was shocked because she’s seen these cases get approved. I honestly feel that their true reason is because we had not owned the policy that long. My final honest opinion is to avoid buying a policy from them because if you hadn’t owned it that long they will make up reasons to deny your claim.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I bought life insurance about 25 years ago and every month they deduct automatically from my bank account. I called my agent over ten years ago and she had passed away and now I am asking if they can send me records of my life insurance because I lost all my paperwork during the flood. They said they were gonna send me copies and they never have till this day. I requested many times more for copies and they have not responded. Last week I spoke to an agent at the main office and she stated she will send it over and still waiting. I have no answers from them. I called again and spoke with another agent and they stated my policy will expire in four years and they said if I don’t die in four years my life insurance will be cancelled and all the money they took out will be lost.

According to them, I need to die within four years so my kids can collect my insurance money or another option was to send a new agent and start another policy that will cost me 100x more than what I am paying now because of my age. This is ridiculous and theft because they hiding my documents and for some reason do not want to release anything to me. To me this is the worst company! Never deal with this and I mentioned to the agent they are a bunch of thieves. Does anyone know anyone who has gone through this and please advise what I can do. When I signed the first day with the agent, she said I will have life insurance policy forever and maybe in 10 - 20 years I can borrow my own money, and now they say I no longer have that.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hello, Angela. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

My father passed on April 27, 2021. Today is September 7, 2021 and still no payout of his term policy. The claim was filed about 1 week after he passed. The communication is terrible with this company. We last reached out 3 weeks ago to find out they were waiting on information from a Doctor that we were able to get done with one phone call. At that point we were told it is under review, yet 3 weeks later, still nothing. This company does not have your family's best interest in mind. We still don't know if they will actually payout the policy. There are much better companies out there.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Chris. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to look into this further to see what is happening. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

A YEAR ago during the pandemic my beloved passed away. He left behind two children. It took a YEAR for then to research and try to find a reason not to pay out the insurance claim. In the end they denied paying us for a question WE DID NOT FILL OUT. Our agent was given a subpoena to answer UNDER OATH that he filled out the questions. We have had to go through so much as he was the main source of income for his kids' survival. The end result is that they have shady underwriting and practices where we found out MANY policies are not honored. Do NOT choose this for your family. We also thought we were working with the best based on reviews and etc. This is not our experience and they were not communicative other than one layer a month for an entire year about this “investigation”. Truly another issue with our system and how it is set up to take from us and not be any peace of mind when death did happen.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

30 yrs ago took out whole life insurance thinking we have nothing to worry about, now 30 yrs later hubby turned 66. They say we have universal insurance and in order to keep need to pay higher premium. On social security how can people afford it. How many other people did this sales rep do this to. Nothing liked being robbed of your of your security.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Becky. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: July 30, 2021

My father passed away in January 2021 and he had his insurance policy for 1 year and 11 months. They denied the life insurance claim. My father was diagnosed with cancer the last 2 months of his life. The insurance company had me get all this information to just deny the claim. The claim started in February and it's July 2021 and they just denied it. The worst company ever a bunch of liars that don't pay love ones claim. Don't do business with this company

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Debbie. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: May 3, 2021

Refinance was a joke. Two months later and still having issues closing. I withdrew my application to go with another company and they say that they denied my loan due to issues with my well. I was not declined. Never have I ever had so many issues with a refinance.

Original review: March 11, 2021

I was paired with Mutual of Omaha through Costco's mortgage program. The agent I was assigned to presented me with a very attractive offer for a refinance on my mortgage. After getting my application in, this agent ignored me on many different occasions. He even went on vacation for a week and did not have the decency to inform me, nor pass me onto a colleague who actually had time to work with me. Emails and phone calls were continuously ignored. All of this occurred during the time I was desperately trying to get a rate lock in, but his delays eventually caused me to lock in a higher mortgage rate with a lower lender credit two and a half weeks later.

I took my grievances to Costco and Mutual of Omaha, but they decided to do nothing for me other than a mediocre apology and a pathetic $500 refund, even though this horrible experience will end up costing me thousands of dollars over the life of my loan. Mutual of Omaha deserves zero stars or less for the experience I went through. I have no idea to this day why I was ignored... It was as though they were purposefully trying to delay my rate lock so that they didn't have to give me the offer that was originally presented to me.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Arun. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customerservice@mutualmortgage.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

Updated on 02/17/2021: Hello. I sent an email to customercare@mutualofomaha.com yesterday morning 2/16/21 regarding the issue below but, have not received a response. I will send another email today.

Original Review: Hello. I was contacted by my Agent, yesterday morning to sign a document that needed to be returned as soon as possible to finalize my approval for a 20 year term policy, with a face value of 300,000. He has been wonderful by the way as I am new to this process and needed some guidance. He says that I need to sign this document by 2/18. I am writing because I never received the policy to view in advance, or the medical results, or any other results relating to my classification rating.

Previous to the approval, I did as my Agent suggested, and went thru the medical exam which to my knowledge per my Agent it came back great. Also I have never been a tobacco user. Further I offered and forwarded additional medical information with genetic testing results. I am hoping to be reclassified with a lower monthly premium amount. It seems as though I am directed to pay for a 20 year term with a face value of $500,000 or more. Please advise. Thank you so much.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Janine. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. Our Customer Care team is available to help by calling 1-800-775-6000 Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Fridays, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. or by email at customercare@mutualofomaha.com.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

I’m very pleased with Mutual of Omaha’s ongoing efforts to educate their customers on what your insurance and financial wellness needs are. My agent regularly checks in on us at least twice a year, providing a free yearly financial advisor review also. Our insurance policies vary from whole life which earns return interest of no less than 4% yearly. I’m very confident and pleased that Mutual of Omaha is meeting our insurance needs with life, long term care, and retirement annuities investments.

Take a Life Insurance Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Mutual of Omaha author review by Neal Frankle

Also a Fortune 500 company, Mutual of Omaha was founded in 1909 and is based in Omaha, Nebraska.

• Product variety: Mutual of Omaha sells almost every type of financial product imaginable.

• Reputation: Mutual of Omaha is highly rated, and has a long track record in the insurance business.

• Competition: Mutual of Omaha is a solid company but they may not always offer the most competitive products.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance Company Information