Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates
  2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.94/5

Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

I purchased simplified issue whole life insurance through an independent agency. Choice Senior Life. The experience was online and through the phone. Finished the process with 2 emails and 1 phone call. Took about 30 minutes total. Price was extremely competitive and was not the lowest but one I was comfortable with. All the prices were within a few dollars of each other. The policy was delivered to my home in 10 days, which I felt was too long. My agent at https://choiceseniorlife.com said that was normal. I recommend shopping around but Mutual of Omaha does seem to have good service and pricing.

Original review: June 23, 2019

I took out a loan on my policy, which I have had since 1999, Had no problems. The check arrived as promised. Sorry to hear about all of these other bad experiences. The representative was knowledgeable,courteous, great customer service, made me happy to be a Mutual of Omaha Customer. I have an extra application that was mailed out to me from the company, and I am having my daughter cancel out her policy with her now existing insurance co. and apply to Mutual Of Omaha. That's how pleased I am with their service.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 27, 2019

They are very prompt with payments. Can get billing summaries online or paper that explain all costs. Have been with them over 4 years and have never had to question any issues or pay any additional expenses other than my deductible.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

A few years back, I called Mutual of Omaha about borrowing from my whole life. I was told that I could. The customer rep said I had the option of borrowing to pay back or borrow and my loan amount would lower my insurance amount by the amount borrowed but I would not have to pay it back. I chose to have my amount lowered so I wouldn't have to pay back. I was then sent the check.

Time went on and I got a letter in the mail that says I agreed to pay back the loan. So I called mutual of omaha about the matter. This man came on and said I agreed to pay it back. I requested that my call be reviewed. I was told that they could not listen to the conversation. I persisted and called again when I got another letter to say I should pay back. This time the person said write a letter to dispute. I did so, and then they said they received it so I called again. This time the person I spoke to say I can request the call I did that and again I was told that it's not avail. It is not right that they can just go about changing agreements. I also asked why was there no letter sent for me to sign when I first ask to take money from the policy so that I could have it in writing. They unfortunately don't do that. So they can always screw the customer over.

I am still fighting this today but it's been since 2/13 and all I keep seeing when they contact me every once in a while is that the loan amount is like 2 two thousand dollar more than the original loan. This is not right. I have been paying into this insurance for more than 20 years religiously thru automatic withdrawal. I wee from reviews I've read that this kind of thing happens to a lot of people. For the love of money.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

My husband, a Veteran of Korea, US Army, saved 122$ a month to purchase a 10,000$ life insurance policy to pay for his funeral. His Social Security check was only $566. A month, he paid for his insurance out of this check. He lived in a nursing home and of course they took everything else he had. At the time of his death my son was the beneficiary of the policy, to pay for funeral expenses. We called to claim them on the policy. The Representative on the phone said, "Oh, you don’t get anything, the State of Texas gets the money!!" Why? Because my son owed child support. His place of employment is taking child support out of his paycheck. But the State of Texas said, "Well his ex might have applied for state assistance sometime in the past."

Shame on the State of Texas and Shame on the insurance Company! An elderly veteran thought he had everything taken care of, just to be slapped in the face in death. How can this happen? Not one person ever once said if you leave your policy to anyone that has owed the state will get nothing! Where in this policy say; “BEWARE” and be careful who you leave your policy to. The policy was paid for by the deceased not by someone who owes something to the State! So folks ask questions. Find out the facts before you pay years for a policy that you will never get paid on!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I pay and not get the money. I pay and Omaha keep the my free money. So do not buy the life insurance. You will not be happy. I am in Washington. At my age I cancel it so no money back. Omaha get free money.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

My father was hospitalized. His policy included coverage for his hospital stay. We called repeatedly to file a claim. Every time we were given the run around. Each time citing some issue we needed to resolve. And a different reason the claim could not be paid. We were even advised that the initial daily fee - which was $75, was actually $50. Even after my father passed we could still not receive the funds due to him and our family. Horrible and inconsistent service. Every time we call the representative says no claim was ever filed. Last rep I spoke to said she would email me "paperwork" to fill out. She never sent anything. What a despicable way to treat people especially after a loss. They don't even deserve one star.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Ev. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

This is the 2nd review as the 1st never showed up. In Sept I requested a 700$ policy loan. I was told it was mailed on Oct 14. Mailed with no tracking # or signature requirements. 12 days and nothing. They will cancel and issue me a new check (won't direct deposit) but I can pay $25 and they will overnight it. However it will take X days for them to do it. This is the worst co I have ever dealt with in my 30+years of working in the life ins industry. I wonder if my beneficiary will get the small face amount!!

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Jacqueline. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We are sorry to hear about your poor customer experience. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I've had this insurance for a few years. Each year the premium increases. This year the increase is 30%. The so called customer service (the customer is NEVER right) says it's because I'm 4 years older and the amount of claims in my state. My age did not increase by 30% nor have my claims increased by 30%, in fact in the last year there have been few claims submitted. I thought Medicare costs were going down not being increased. They take advantage of older people.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Kate. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We understand your concerns with rate increases. While it’s not our desire to raise rates, we do our best to minimize rate increases unless they’re absolutely necessary. We’d like to listen if you’d like to talk with one of our customer care team about the specifics of your policy. You can reach us at 800-775-3000 or email your preferred contact number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I had this company for my children's life insurance since 1999 and as soon as my sons turned 24 and 25 years old there was an issue of them needing to pick a beneficiary and I paid their policies and I was their beneficiary. Never missed a payment for as long as they had their policies. Then the policy skyrocketed so they canceled it but don't go with this company. They are scammers and it's too many people with the same problems. No payout. Just taking people's hard earned money. Not worth it. Mrs. Tekkia **

Mutual of Omaha expert review by Neal Frankle

Also a Fortune 500 company, Mutual of Omaha was founded in 1909 and is based in Omaha, Nebraska.

• Product variety: Mutual of Omaha sells almost every type of financial product imaginable.

• Reputation: Mutual of Omaha is highly rated, and has a long track record in the insurance business.

• Competition: Mutual of Omaha is a solid company but they may not always offer the most competitive products.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance Company Information