2.04/5
Based on 78 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 28, 2017

79 Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I bought a $20,000 life insurance and best part was I did not have to wait for it to be effective. Very well pleased with my agent Steve **, great agent!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance were a great company. I was with them for about 3 years when my husband passed away, they sent me a check right away. I don't know what we would have done without it. Thank you United of Omaha.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

My dad recently passed away and I was absolutely dreading filing the claim for his life insurance policy. Saying it out loud is difficult since it's still so fresh. About 3 weeks after he passed, I called United of Omaha Life Insurance Company to report the claim and ask what they needed from me to file the claim. They said they only needed to verify his passing and asked who was handling the funeral service. I explained that we were having a memorial for him and that he had actually donated his body to science. I suggested they contact the donation center to verify his death. The rep put me on hold, called the donation program and verified his passing. The check was cut and mailed the very next day. I thanked the rep for making a difficult call / process so easy and for being flexible in the death verification process.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I initially trusted these folks. Until, I discovered that my siblings were using a broker and getting the same supplement (Plan F - gov't defined -- exact) and getting much lower rates even though older and without health status advantages. Bottom line is that if you stay with these folks, they will reward you with substantially higher premiums. Do not trust them and fail to shop other sources. If using a gov't plan, trust that all companies are offering the same features.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

This company has ZERO customer service!!! From day one they've had little customer service. I canceled for a cheaper company with customer service... When I canceled my policy my new insurance sent a letter and I called. Mutual Omaha sent me a cancelation letter so I shredded all the packet information and never looked back. Two months later I realize they had mischarged me two months so I called to have it fixed. The woman was nice, back dated, and promised me a refund 10 days later via USPS. 16 days pass and nothing so I call again to find out they declined my refund because they claim there's no proof of this letter they sent me and they are unwilling to refund me the mistake on their end. The woman I talked to the second time kept interrupting me on the phone and wouldn't listen until I reminded her I was in the middle of talking and wished to finish one sentence without being disrupted.

She told me she'd have it reviewed again and I asked for someone to call me. She was rude not because she treated me rude but because she treated me like just another customer and I told her I was getting really frustrated and upset with the lack of customer service and misinformation and bad record keeping on their end and she had nothing nice to say. I requested a callback from a manager and she said she marked my account and got off the phone. All I want is my refund promised to me in the first place. But after being treated so rudely, not having anyone call me to talk about anything with my policy and being treated like just another **. I will NEVER use this company again AND I recommend that you don't use them. If you do - good luck. All reviews I have seen now say 2 stars at best. BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha?

Original review: June 16, 2017

I have had this company since Nov. No policy still has been sent out. The agent who set it up was supposed to set it up for 100,000 but lower. The agent is trying to tell me no other company has locked in life insurance and it changed which only certain companies will. I've asked for a returned as I will don't have a policy and waiting 3 weeks still...

Original review: June 14, 2017

My mother passed in late February, she had 2 policies with each of my children as beneficiaries. My daughter calls in March and 2 wks later gets her money. It's June and my son can not get his measly $400 dollars. Constant excuses with paperwork back and forth. I will/would never advise to buy from this company...

Original review: May 21, 2017

When my husband passed I contacted Mutual of Omaha for the payout of the policy my husband had been paying for years. After a lengthy time I called for status and the customer service rep took great delight in informing my claim was denied. I contacted my lawyer and he was able to get a fifth of the payoff. They have so many clauses that they rarely pay off. I really could of used the funds and I am sure my husband thought I would of been taken care of. They have no compassion.

Original review: May 17, 2017

This experience with Mutual of Omaha on a death claim has really been sad. Have been waiting for 6 mos & still haven't received payment. Everyone in Customer Service has a different lie to tell on the claim. I have been given the runaround for 4 mos now, can't talk to the manager or no one else over the call representatives. I got this insurance policy for my mother & I will never use them again for me or another family member... poor business.

Original review: May 9, 2017

This bunch of rag tag thieves are lower than low! Like many of the other reviewers I've experienced poor customer service, (I too was told they would be back to me in 24-48 hours--it's now been a week) poor leadership from the top down promoting a culture that approves bully intimidating tactics pretending to care about their policyholders. All they care about is the money. 95 year old female, premiums going up due to age, requested a solution for a lesser amount of insurance so she would not be left without some coverage after paying a 5 figure premium for 20 years. They want the policy to lapse so they make money and pay nothing. Horrible, would not recommend them.

Original review: April 28, 2017

I have cancelled my policy after over 6 years. The misleading and false information is unacceptable. Not once not twice but 3 times within two years. Say they mailed out the information requested. Never arrives. They continue with no accountability. They have taken out premiums every month on time from Chase. Yet when they owe you money they mislead you that it is the mail... The person that you spoke to trying to correct the problem is no longer available. Can't get beyond the person (Customer Service). Finally relief that I have cancelled. Waiting for my cash value to end my association with this company. Said was in the mail. Do I believe them? No!

Original review: April 17, 2017

I rarely write reviews, and have never done one for an insurance company, but Mutual of Omaha deserves one. My mother passed away on 3/26. I called the company to find out how to go about collecting her life insurance benefits. Customer service rep looked up her accounts and obituary online and I had the checks within days (not that I was in any rush mind you). I called back saying I needed forms 712 on both policies, again they arrived within days and completed correctly. Other companies she had policies with wanted their forms notarized, and one even has me giving her medical history and permission to contact her doctors. WHAT?! Give me a break!!! She was 85. So un-user friendly! Extremely impressed with Mutual of Omaha. If my husband and I hadn't bought our plans years ago, I would definitely purchase them from this company.

Original review: March 11, 2017

Flawless process for term-life policy, decent customer service. Tried to apply with Protective and it took them 4 month to issue the policy! (Obviously I didn't signed it.) Mutual of Omaha took them only 3 weeks.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

Money was taken out of my account for my husband life insurance. Called my bank TD Bank. Found out my account was compromised. Called Mutual of Omaha in reference. Kept getting the runaround saying they will pay me my money back that the money they withdrew out of my account over overdraw my account and I was charged $35. The lady in which I talked to said it takes 39 days. This was since November 16, 2016. I called again supposed to have talk to somebody higher up in the company they assured me that the money was in the mail. I explained to them that I was a senior on social security. The money was in the mail ever since last Thursday. It now 4 days before Christmas no check. I'm frustrated so. It looks as though I'm going to press fraud charges against them.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

Acquired three whole life policies through Mutual of Omaha. I have had a mix of customer service experiences over the three years I've had these policies. The mix is mainly with the attitudes of representatives. Ranging from very pleasant to despicable. Having the business I contacted them completed in a timely fashion or at all, is another story. I need a very simple letter as does millions of other people in the beginning of the year stating the values of the policy. It is a short and simple form letter, that they must have to provide for a large number of their customers. Every year thus far it has been an arduous task to obtain this simple document from them. Even the copy they claim they can provide to you via email in 48 hours seems never to make it.

The last CSR I spoke with told me if they weren't able to provide me with the documents I need in the time I need them I have the option to cancel my policies and forfeit the premiums I have paid the last three years and then laughed. I hung up on him and called back only to find out that the documents I requested (a week ago) were never submitted and only a request for a change of beneficiary has been made. I never made that request. Seems very shady to me. I am first going to complain on every board and blog there is, inform the BBB, and file a complaint with my States Department of Banking and Insurance. I am considering very seriously about filing a lawsuit to recover my premiums, on the grounds that after a certain amount of time they fail to provide you with customer service and withhold documents that you need, in an effort for you to cancel your policy and keeping your premiums you've paid thus far free and clear.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

I applied for a policy with Mutual of Omaha in July. Every week thereafter they requested bizarre documents and more information from tax returns three years back to a copy of my employment contract. We had to make one. My employer does not use contracts. It was not until November that I received final word from them. It was a terrible experience just trying to get the policy. I can only imagine how difficult they make it when they have to pay. Oh wait, I don't have to imagine. My friend's father was killed in a tragic accident and it took almost two years and an attorney to get Mutual of Omaha to honor the policy.

I would be very cautious before dealing with this company. They exist for the benefit of their shareholders. They are not here to help you. It is impossible to get someone on the phone and, when you finally do, they "don't know" or "can't". I would get an attorney and have them review all of the fine print because this company is out to make money only - not protect consumers.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

My mother passed on Aug. 3rd 2016 and she had a policy on myself with this company. I called to check on this policy and was told that in order to cash-out I had to get the policy in my name to surrender it. Well, I did everything that I was supposed to do on my end and in a timely matter to just be done with this policy. I was told 21 calendar days to process and the funds will be mailed. I called again today which makes it day 23 and was told they are still processing. I asked were they behind and the lady said no they weren't. It's not about the money at all I just want to get what's due the family because my mom's hard earned money was put into this policy.

I don't like the run around that they give you like it's a call center that you are speaking to and the professionalism makes you feel like you are getting on their nerves. I will be reporting this company to the Better Business Bureau because I do believe that this company has fraudulent activity. I would not recommend getting life insurance benefits from here.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

20 year ago this November my husband purchased, through his business a million dollar -20 year pay term insurance policy. When he left the company, we kept paying the monthly premiums to this day. Now that he is coming to the end of his 20th year, the policy goes to 6 figures a month. Obviously, beyond what we can pay annually. They tell us that somewhere in the 20 page+ document 5 years ago, if we had called THEM (or the agent)... who don't know where he is we had a chance to buy less insurance and continue the policy like at $100K. Obviously at 15 years into the policy, we had it filed with our final documents and never called. Consequently, he is turning 79 and he has NO life insurance and he has had health issues and cannot pass a physical.

As seniors this is a RIP OFF that we should be expected to remember something that happened 20 years ago. We don't make a practice of reviewing our final documents on a yearly or even at that time 5 year basis. So we have paid in over $200,000 and can't get insurance. I find it interesting that not once in the past 20 years have they missed taking out on a monthly premium... Wow, if I had changed bank accounts or did not have funds,, they would have reached out to me. But they can't do the same... Don't they realize we are seniors and have not the best recall of things that happened 20 years ago. What made us recall is that we remember it was a 20 year policy. I understand it is common amongst insurers like Mutual of Omaha to do this... They win - we lose.

I think this practice of ripping off people as they age (and did not have to collect on the insurance) should be investigated by Congress or at least State Insurance policies... We are not asking for anything but at least a portion of the total premium paid in should be put into force as term insurance and we would gladly pay the premium for $100K or the same outrageous amount that we were paying for 1 million... we would pay for $100K.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

I canceled my policy over 1 month ago. I was told I would get a refund check back, after 1 month still no payment. Called, they said the check was mailed out of the 20th. Called back again after waiting for 20 minutes to get to talk someone. This service is unacceptable. I would hate to find out the wait time for my kids if I passed away waiting for their money to bury me. This company is large enough. Why does it take over 26 days just to get it ready to send to you and another 6 days to cut the check. Again after waiting 32 days still nothing. Waiting to get to talk someone. I might as well call Obama. They would answer the phone faster. I will not buy another policy from them again. Glad I found out how unorganized they are before I passed away.

Original review: July 29, 2016

I took out a policy for myself and one for my husband (Graded Whole Life). I was billed almost immediately without being able to review the policy for 30 days. I could never talk to anyone on the phone -- always backed up. I decided to drop this policy after I had paid my quarterly premium. I wrote them a note informing them of this before a month had passed. I called today (I left my name and # and was very surprised when someone actually called me) to ask about my refund. I got the old song and dance about no refund because of not enough time had passed (WHAT?). She told me that the policy was in the process of being cancelled -- it has been since APRIL -- this is the last day of July! Anyway, I get no money back. Do not do business with this company. It is aggravating, unprofessional and scammy. Invest in a REAL company.

Original review: July 25, 2016

I am writing this review to complain about customer service from Mutual of Omaha representatives. I called a week ago to ask about information about life insurance policies. I was told that an agent or claim rep would get back to me. I provided my phone number and email address. I waited for a week and no one responded. I called back and explained my complaint and there was silence over the phone. I said "hello" and the customer service rep said that she was recording my call and they were very busy! I could not believe how a large company can function like that!

Original review: July 8, 2016

I needed to put my mother into a nursing home. I've been trying for several months to get her on Medicaid but the only obstacle was an insurance policy she had with Mutual of Omaha. I called in June of 2016 to cancel it and cash it in so I could pay the nursing home room and board. I sent in copies of the required documents (Power of Attorney, etc). I emphasized that the reason for cancelling was to get mother on Medicaid. It took them over a month to send the check. I called several times trying to speed up the process.

They offer a "call back service" but it doesn't work and I got cut off every time. They seem to have a chronic 1-2 hour WAIT just to speak to a representative. And one of their sales reps tried to talk me into a policy. I told him, NO I was unemployed and didn't have any income at the time. That didn't deter him in the least. He called me several times at home with a sales pitch and sent me about a half dozen offers through the mail (Cancer policy, etc). What part of "NO" did he not understand? There is more, but this is the gist of it.

Original review: June 30, 2016

I signed up for a policy in February. Was told that there should be no issue with the policy. Was given what the amount would be etc. They came out, tested my blood and started deducting money for the policy. They only allow check account deductions. (Don't do it.) A month and half later I finally receive the policy in the mail, it has been changed. They won't cover anything that may happen to anything that I have had a complaint about at the doctors. I contact the agent, tell her I want to cancel, get told that I need to sign the sheet that they sent with the policy and fax it to her telling her to cancel. Then she tells me after a week that I need to mail back the whole policy.

2 months later after telling her I wanted to cancel the policy I bypass her and contact the company directly. They try to tell me I need to send a cancellation, that they didn't get it and that it would be 30 days before I would see a refund. I screamed and hollered that I would not accept that so they finally mailed out the refund snail mail. It took exactly a week to get to me, then it wasn't even the full amount that they owe me. It was over 80 dollars short. Tried to call them but of course they are closed and I already know they will tell me it will be another week before I get my refund. I would tell anyone considering this company to run the other way. You do not want to deal with them. Can't imagine how it would be if you actually needed to use the policy. Thank goodness I am not going to wait around to find out and I recommend you don't either.

Original review: June 7, 2016

My son's father had a life insurance policy with his employer West Side Transport. The policy was with United of Omaha Life Insurance Company, owned and operated by Mutual of Omaha. My son's father passed suddenly. We were told at the funeral home the policy was worth 181,000 dollars and was good. A paper from United of Omaha Life was faxed to the funeral home. After a few days we were notified that the policy was no good. That there had been a mix up between the employer and the insurance company even though the premiums were being take out of his check each pay.

My son's father wanted this money for my son and his family, wife and two grandchildren. My son is a disabled Veteran and this was a way for his father to make sure they could get a home and provide for the grandchildren if anything happened to him (the father). United of Omaha Life Insurance Company has refused to pay now changing their story since my son has filed a lawsuit against them, saying there was a computer error on their end. The case has been decided by District Court in Columbus, Ohio twice in favor of my son, so the insurance company decided to take it to a higher court in Cincinnati, Ohio where it is currently under review and awaiting a hearing.

By the time this case is decided my son will be lucky to get one third 1/3 of the monies his dad intended for him. The attorney fees are astronomical having to hire 3 attorneys to fight this case, whereas the insurance company has all the money and can fight as long as they want. My son will be lucky to have one third 1/3 of the original policy amount left. This has been such a hardship on his family. His father helped him and his family a lot and this was his intention for them to have a home and secure future for the grandchildren. I would recommend no one ever put their family's future or trust into this company. They are horrible people with only money and greed being their interest. DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY!

Original review: April 12, 2016

I was hired on to their company and was required to scam every person I knew. After leaving the company I was required to pay back every penny I made and then some. 2 months worth of 45+ hour work weeks to net -$500. This company is a complete joke and the people running it are con artists. DO NOT get life insurance from them and DO NOT work for them. They promise pie in the sky, hopes and deliver on none of it due to some loophole they add into every policy. You'd be better off putting your money in a retirement account or getting insurance through work.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

There are three adults living in our home. We have three different life insurance companies carrying our policies. My husband has insurance thru Kroger where he works, mine is thru our credit union Kemba, and our son has his insurance thru Mutual of Omaha. We're all happy with our individual choices.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2016

We took out a life insurance policy. Was not happy the way they treated us. Did not return our money. Not very pleased with them.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2016

On November 20, 2015, I called asking for loan amount. I explained the dire need. I was told a rush would be placed and should receive within 5 days. Called many times, spoke to different agents. Told was processed on November 24, 2015, mailed November 25, 2015. False. Was not mailed according to post mark until November 30, 2015 and received December 4, 2015. This was not sent as a rush pay. Everyone I spoke to did not tell the truth. My premium is taken out the 5th of every month by Chase since March 2011. Never missed a payment. If I was not fully vested I would cancel my policy. Still upset that a company that I trusted gave me continual misinformation.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2016

Be warned if you purchase an Easy Start Policy for your young child, thinking the rate you are paying is "locked in" for the rest of your child's life like they say on their website and in all the paperwork. It is very misleading. At age 25, the policy will automatically convert to a whole life policy, and your child's rate will go WAY up! Probably about 4 times higher than the current rate. Now, if you only want cheap life insurance for when your child is young, it's probably worth it. I had peace of mind as my child grew up, knowing I had $18,000 worth of insurance for about $75 per year. But on his 25th Birthday, he got a letter saying it was automatically converting to whole life and his new rate was $240 per year.

A call confirmed there was no way to keep it as a term policy, so basically, 23 years of premiums paid down the drain! The representative also confirmed the whole life policy would build "cash value", however it started building it when it converted, not when it was a "term" policy, so no benefit at all for the previous 23 years of payments. My stock in Mutual of Omaha went WAY down for the misleading way they promote this policy, making you think you are helping your child have an affordable life insurance policy when they are grown, by starting this one early in their life. I'm thankful I don't have any other policies with this company, and never will. Be warned!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

Mutual of Omaha is very affordable. They are well established and a very reputable life insurance company. My family has used this company for all of our life insurance needs and we have never had any complications. When my parents died, they were truly here for us when it came time to cash in the needed policies. We didn't have to wait at all. They really made this awful loss endurable. They even offered to assist in the funeral services.

Mutual of Omaha expert review by Neal Frankle

Also a Fortune 500 company, Mutual of Omaha was founded in 1909 and is based in Omaha, Nebraska.

• Product variety: Mutual of Omaha sells almost every type of financial product imaginable.
    • Reputation: Mutual of Omaha is highly rated, and has a long track record in the insurance business.
    • Competition: Mutual of Omaha is a solid company but they may not always offer the most competitive products.
    Profile picture of Neal Frankle
    Neal Frankle

Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance Company Information