Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance
3.26/5

Looking for a life insurance company?

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance

127 Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution response: April 5, 2019

Everything has been settled..very happy with my case manager who persisted with followup on dr. Thank you!

Original review: April 4, 2019

0 stars deserved. My experience with this company has been nothing short of a nightmare. I just had a major surgery and have been out already a month, but was only approved for two days’ pay. Had to while trying to recover from surgery go back and forth to my doctor’s office for nonstop paperwork and more requested documents proving I’m supposed to be out of work 6-8 weeks. Because of my 2 week post op appt, because my incision was healed and I’m not on narcotic medications in which they only gave me a weeks’ worth. Their 3rd party dr. deemed me ok enough to go back to work after an open surgery for a 9 centimeter cyst removal, ovary, Fallopian tube, and scattered debris removal from another busted cyst. I was told because I work a desk job they can’t pay me for ten additional days! I’m going back to work more than 4 weeks early because of them not assisting with short term disability.

Ridiculous when dr originally stated could be 6 to 8 weeks and Mutual of Omaha deems me ok after 2 weeks because they don’t want to pay 10 more days to a mother of 3 who counted on it for taking care of family and bills. If I didn’t have surgery the cyst could’ve killed me! Still waiting on a manager to call back. I will let my employer know about this so no one else has to go through such misery at a time you are trying to recover from major surgery.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Denise. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I never even had insurance. I talked to a guy that put my application in that lied to me about when it would be processed. I then got online to see all these bad reviews and tried reaching out to him to cancel several times with no response. I then called the customer service number myself today and spoke with someone that said my application was still processing. I asked to cancel and was told it could take 30 days. I asked to speak to a manager and the manager I spoke with told me also that it had not been processed, that it would be canceled and no charge would be made on my account! I asked for an email stating all of this and she said she sent it. I never received anything!!!

Then the broker guy or whatever that signed me up for this policy finally wanted to reach out to me stating they declined me! How can you decline someone that canceled before it even processed? This company is a HUGE scam! Please please please go elsewhere. This is my first time applying for life insurance and now I may never be able to get it due to their ignorance!

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: March 28, 2019

Received a letter "confirming the recent change of address for my polic(ies)." Whatever that means... Then the next day I got a bill for $55.13 asking me to mail a check for this mystery policy that I don't even remember signing up for. Yeah. Go ahead and cancel me. NO SCAM FOR ME. OH NO. NOT TODAY, NOT TODAY.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Jason. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to get more information to help us investigate. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch to discuss the recent letter you received.

Original review: March 27, 2019

They are very prompt with payments. Can get billing summaries online or paper that explain all costs. Have been with them over 4 years and have never had to question any issues or pay any additional expenses other than my deductible.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: March 26, 2019

I received short term disability more than 5 weeks after total hip replacement, still unable to work due to other medical problems. Found disabled by SS and yet I have to wait for weeks and weeks for them to approve more than a partial month of Long term. If I received a partial month then why in the world do I have to wait for them to produce current and future payments. Just not right. Feel cheated.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Judy. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: March 25, 2019

In November of 2018 Mutual of Omaha dipped into my checking account for an old life insurance policy after I already converted my life insurance policy to a new one. I have been in touch with my agent since December 2018 & now we are at the end of March 2019 with no resolution. I called Mutual of Omaha to speak to Penny which was extremely unhelpful & still I have no refund. When asking her why this happened there was an attitude, and an insensitivity like my phone call was somehow a bother. In the end I am out $49.68. This to me is theft. After a divorce some years before the company gave out personal information to my ex wife & it took every ounce of self restraint to not make a public lawsuit for a violation of my privacy.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Brett. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I have been trying to cash out my life insurance policy. I was first told it would take to 10 days. After almost a month without receiving the check, I made a second call. I received an apology and was assured that a check would be sent that day. After not receiving a check I was given another excuse and was told that whoever gave me that information about my check being sent was incorrect. I still do not have an answer as to when I will receive my check. How many other people need to be ripped off before something is done about this company. I have read many other complaining reviews about them and it seems to be a never ending problem.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Adam. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

They stole my 51.00 bucks off a military credit card. I ask the VA for a free lawyer and I'm getting it. The lawyer said, the military always gets their money back but since I'm disabled I'm going after these people for emotional stress. Their rep knew I could not have whole life ins. I asked him 5 times who I end up giving my policy to Medicaid some day... He said no! They can't take it... Well they can and he knew it. I cancelled 9 hrs later and never got my 51$ back... Do these people knowingly stole 51$ from a disabled vet on a military credit card.

I just sent my state rep copies of the bill and reported them to Channel 5 news in Massachusetts. Channel 5 has received numerous complaints on this company. I advise people to seek ins. With a more reputable ins co. When you call for your 30 back day refund they hang up. Go after them for emotional stress...It's worth the doctor's visit if they upset you. Get letter from your doctor and submit it to your local legal office for free legal aid.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Debbie. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to discuss this further with you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Agents sold my 78-year-old mother 3 life policies which had premiums totaling more than 50% of her monthly income. When I became involved at her pleading to help her pay premiums, I registered the policies on their online system. It took 3 months from request and 5 phone calls to get the 3 policies uploaded so I could see the payment history and payments due.

When I finally had enough, I called and stayed on phone for over one hour only to find out they were imputing incorrect name spelling which cause info not to load. Don’t bother to fill out e-form asking for a return phone call because it will NEVER happen. Then, they take premiums from bank account in amounts that do not reflect the premiums. Payments made for interest are not tracked in payment history. In short, it’s a nightmare to track every month.

Then, they keep sending almost every month solicitation to me and my mother to buy more policies. They also call soliciting. I’ve asked them to stop. You will not get a licensed agent if you call with a question. This is not the service based company you remember from the ’60s and infrastructure is sub-par when it comes to billing and return of phone calls.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Lynn. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

We purchased a 20 year $40,000 term life policy in 1998. The premiums were $31.29 per month which was drafted from our bank account. After 20 years, the policy did not expire as we thought and the premiums suddenly went up to $242.72 per month. We never received notice of the huge increase until I discovered it 6 months later on my bank statement, so we were charged $1,463.34. That is a huge amount for retired senior citizens. My complaint is that Mutual of Omaha is greedy and unfairly taking advantage of Seniors by increasing their premiums suddenly and excessively without proper notice or approval.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Paulette. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to discuss this with you further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I purchased whole life with the intention of paying my final expenses with the policy. I have recently run into some financial issues that made cashing out my policy a necessity. I called and cashed out the policy on December 6th, 2018, and was told that I could expect my check within 7 to 10 working days. December 21st, I called again because I hasn't received my check and was told that there was an error in processing that had been fixed, and AGAIN, was told that I would have a check within a week. I called again on January 4th because I still hadn't received my check... I was told that it had been mailed that day and I should receive it within a few days...

Called again on the 7th and was told that it wasn't mailed on the 4th, it was only processed, and was mailed on the 7th. I asked for a supervisor at that point and was told by the supervisor that she guaranteed that the check had been mailed that day and that they couldn't control the USPS. She also gave me her direct line phone number and told me that if I hadn't received the check by the 21st (company policy to wait 2 weeks), that I could use her direct line to contact her and they would overnight another check. Today is the 22nd, yesterday was a holiday (MLK Day)...STILL no check!!! I called her "direct line" and received her voicemail where I left a message for her to return my call and that I wanted a check overnighted either "today (22nd) or at the very latest, tomorrow (23rd)".

I did not received a call and after 2 hours I called customer service. I spoke to yet another representative who couldn't explain why it took a month and a half to complete a policy cash out, and why, in said month and a half, I had received 2 letters from Mutual of Omaha trying to sell me more insurance (I'll bet it didn't take them a month and a half to send the letters to open a policy)!!! I have been guaranteed a call back as soon as the reps supervisor comes in tomorrow...9:30am Central Time. I am BEYOND disappointed with Mutual of Omaha's customer service and would strongly discourage anyone from starting any policy with them. It never took me a month and a half to make my premium payments and I seriously doubt if they would have continued the policy if I had taken as long to pay my premiums as they have in paying my cash-out claim...

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Theodore. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you so we can look into this further.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

This company and their billing is a nightmare. It is impossible to work it out with the company. They run you around and no one ever fixes the problem. They say, "Contact us and we will discuss it" and it still never gets resolved. There are better companies for life insurance. Please stay away. Money is too hard to come by, this company is terrible.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Sherri. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. Please accept our apologies for the service you have experienced. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I'm the irrevocable beneficiary of my mother's policy. I've been making payments as well as paying intrust payment as well on a loan my sister took without permission. Fraud. Last week the same sister called to stop payment or cancel. So they canceled policy. Which is against the contract! I called and recorded the conversation. Was told the policy would be reopened which it wasn't. In fact they mailed a check in my mother's name as a payoff on whole life. Also against the policy contract. I'm not sure if an idiot did this or just another case of a bad faith policy. I going to call tomorrow to try to fix this. If I get no satisfaction I'm filing a complaint with the state, which will end up costing them more money in the long run.

I have all the paperwork and copies of online service. My payment came out on 10th the policy was canceled on 15th. I was lied to on the phone. But as I stated I records the call. Instead of being a victim and the back and forth. I going to email my complaint to have even more evidence if I don't get satisfaction with tomorrow's call. I will then file a complaint with the state and the BBB. My time is valuable and I'm not one to waste time with cheats and dilettantes. I suggest to take charge and do your homework before dealing with a billion dollar industry. They will always take the route of what's best for them. By either paying or deny payments. Luckily for me I have overwhelming evidence and nothing but time. Just want what is owed. No more no less. Rather they pay a little now or more later is on them.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

The agent quoted us different prices then we were being charged immediately. Canceled 2 months later. We’ve made multiple phone calls to cancel. The second time my wife called they told her they forgot to cancel the insurance. Told them we do not authorize them to take any money from our accts. Filed a claim with our bank and they're still trying to pull from our accts and Chase had to step in and tell them they don’t have our authorization to pull from our accts. Still receiving letters to pay premiums or our policy would be canceled. Still waiting for a refund of over 100.00... every time we call they pass the ball as to why our policies haven’t been canceled... must be a billion dollar corporation because they steal from your bank acct...

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Annette. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

We enrolled with Mutual Omaha life Insurance. Because the policy was not what we were looking for at the time we decided to cancel the policy within the first 30 days of purchase. My husband contacted the sales agent to cancel as he was instructed to do in the time of purchase. The payments continued to be withdrawn from our bank account. Adding overdraft fees for unexpected payments as well. A total of over $800. We tried to contact the agent, his boss and no one has responded or answered the calls. We call the company and their response was that they have nothing to do with what the agent does. But they are authorized to remove Money from the account. No one has taken accountability for their actions. This is completely unprofessional and irresponsible.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Yarely. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Resolution response: Oct. 9, 2018

Mutual of Omaha contacted me and agreed to a full payment. They were very accommodating and respectful and I was very appreciative of their attention to this matter.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

My mother paid premiums on a John Wayne Cancer policy for many years. She was diagnosed with terminal ovarian cancer in May of 2018 and died from this cause several weeks later in a skilled nursing facility (not her residence) under professional hospice care. As her son and only heir, I filed for benefits of $630 dollars to help defray the cost of the hospice care she received which is clearly stated in the policy as a covered benefit.

Mutual of Omaha refused to pay any benefits, claiming that the hospice facility and confinement was her "place of residence", which was untrue and documented to be untrue. In short, the impression given was that their claims analysts have a vested interest in defining terms to avoid payment under their policy. If they condone this practice for $630, how much more incentive do they have to avoid payment on large policies that are sold to those expecting their loved ones to be taken care of?

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Rick. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

My parents both recently had to go into long term care due to dementia. I became their court appointed guardian and trustee of their estate. In going through all their finances I noticed my mother while going through the beginning stages of dementia began taking out lots of credit cards and spending a lot of money on magazine subscriptions and other things like many different life insurance policies which had high monthly premiums but very little return due to her age.

I cancelled all of these extraneous expenses. As an example of the typical experience of cancellation I had no trouble cancelling their New York Life, life insurance policy. They asked that I fax in the guardianship paperwork and they would cancel the policies. I did and called them back and they cancelled. I even got a refund, albeit small, for the value of each policy.

I found Mutual of Omaha on their bank statements as United/DTC INS Premium but couldn't find an actual paper policy in their files like I did with their other policies. So I called in and gave them their information to track down the policies. They found the policies and asked that I fax in the guardianship paperwork. I did and when I called back on a later date to make sure they processed the paperwork I got a very rude customer service rep who at first seemed to not be able to find the policies by simply giving her their names. After finally finding the policies she put me on hold and came back to tell me that my guardianship paperwork was received which would give me access to review their policy but wasn't a high enough level to allow me to cancel the policy. She said I would need to get a specific court order sent just to cancel their policy.

Now I know for a fact this just isn't true. I had gone through the process of much more rigorous scrutiny of gaining control over their retirement accounts and bank accounts by simply presenting the documents from the court ordering me as their appointed guardian of their estate and persons. I cancelled all their credit cards by faxing in these guardianship papers to each credit card company. Not one company challenged this paperwork and all cooperated accordingly.

Guardianship is a level higher than a power of attorney. The court appointed me as guardian because they were deemed incapacitated and weren't able to make any decisions like signing a power of attorney with me. So either Mutual of Omaha is intentionally lying in order to make it difficult to cancel policies which is fraud and illegal or they are terribly incompetent and not knowledgeable of the legal system. Either way this doesn't look good for a company that deals with legal matters like life insurance. I resolved this matter by calling my bank to have them block reoccurring charges.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Phillip. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

The life insurance we get is pretty good. Honestly I have nothing to compare it to since it is my only life insurance policy. But our contact is really great and hopefully when I die the insurance policy works.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I get enough junk mail everyday. I do not need anymore coming from people selling mailing lists. When you put my incorrect information out there and print false

mailing labels falsely I am mad. Remove me.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Paul. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. Please email your mailing address to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and we’ll have the mailings stopped.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

My wife and I have life policies with this company. A payment meant for me was accidentally applied to my wife's policy instead of mine. I NEVER got any phone call, letter, or official notice but they terminated my policy. Tried calling. The rep said it was in fact it was an error and he would get it resolved. This has been nearly two week and nothing has been corrected. AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE - buyer beware.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Richard. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch to discuss.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Very dissatisfied with Mutual of Omaha insurance. You can pay for a policy for 5k and pay over 10k and still only receive 5k so all extra money paid goes to Mutual Omaha. Just bad business. Do your research and use another company.

Original review: June 19, 2018

8 years ago I bought a 10,000 life insurance policy on my sister who lived with us and I took care of. We wanted to make sure we had funds to bury her when she passed. We received in the mail many solicitations and read each very carefully and chose Mutual of Omaha. We understood for the first 2 years if she passed the only benefit would be the return of our premiums. That was fair enough for us. My sister was with us for 8 more wonderful years until she passed on June 8, 2018. The funeral home we selected did everything for us including taking care of the life insurance policy. On June 15th we buried her. We got a call from Mutual of Omaha a check for 10,000 had been sent and on June 23rd we received it. Mutual of Omaha did everything we expected and more in a very prompt and timely manner. This is a great company!

Original review: May 23, 2018

My Family chose Mutual of Omaha because it was a name on which we could rely, and as a family, we took comfort in that. Over the years, Mutual of Omaha became the only trusted household name for life insurance for our family.

From the beginning, in 1963, my family enjoyed Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom television program, and we looked forward to sharing our family time watching the program as a family together. It was as if Mutual of Omaha WAS part of our family. Because of Mutual of Omaha’s commitment to education, preservation of wildlife, and other altruistic actions made by the company, we came to trust Mutual of Omaha and felt like all the other companies were only out there to make money, while Mutual of Omaha was different; Mutual of Omaha was a company to be trusted and believed in when things were hard.

For us the slogan “Mutual of Omaha is people you can ‘count on’ when the going's tough” was not a slogan for sales, it was reality we could trust enough to invest the security of our family. As a result, when the time came, we chose Mutual of Omaha as our Life Insurance Company. When we purchased these policies, my parents were healthy and happy, and had no idea illness would strike in the years to come.

Unfortunately, through our recent experience with Mutual of Omaha because of my Mother’s passing, we found that all our trust and respect for Mutual of Omaha was severely misplaced, and in many ways, we feel fools betrayed for buying into the “hype” at the expense of our family’s livelihood. There are many reasons for this feeling. In the beginning, we contacted Mutual of Omaha regarding my Mother’s death on May 8, 2018, and Mutual of Omaha met us with resistance and unprofessionalism.

As we checked on my Mother’s policy and other policies, Mutual of Omaha informed us that there was a good possibility that some of the policies sold to us by Mutual of Omaha were policies Mutual of Omaha knowingly and willingly sold to my elderly parents that would be unusable by them; policies for which we have been paying on for several years.

Next, Mutual of Omaha informed us that my Mother’s most recent and most significant policy was a few months short of maturity and we would receive only a return of the money we paid into the policy. After this first call, it took over eleven more to get accurate and relevant information for our policies. Mutual of Omaha returned none of our phone calls.

Furthermore, out of the over eleven calls we had to make to Mutual of Omaha, only two of the representatives we spoke to were professional, compassionate, and were even effective at their job. Despite the news the two professional representatives (one being Brittany **, who we were GRATEFUL to speak with and you are lucky to have working for you. I wish we knew the name of the other lady so we could thank her) were forced to bring to us, these two highly professional women were the only positive experiences we had out of our entire interaction with Mutual of Omaha.

For example, in one of the nine unacceptable calls, I was on hold for over forty-five minutes, I was unheard and aggressively verbally accosted by the customer service agent, to which I responded with an even tone in a kind and patient manner over eight times: “Thank you, I understand that you cannot give me that information, and I do not want to against protocol, but is there any way online, or anywhere else my family can find this information out about our policy? If you cannot speak to me, the Executor of the Estate, could you speak to someone else, perhaps my Father who has been married to my now deceased mother for fifty-nine years?” to which she finally responded with “If he wants to speak with me, I will assess if I can give him that information.”

As my father was unavailable when the Mutual of Omaha Representative finally answered the phone, after over forty-five minutes, we called the next day to find out that Mutual of Omaha had no intention of releasing any more money than what we had paid in, in essence just refunding our money, because my Mother’s policy was a few months short of maturity. We bought the policies to pay for funeral expenses, and we opted for the least expensive funeral options we could, due to the extreme cost of funerals these days. We were confident that due to our frugalness in our funeral planning, the “adjusted Death Benefit” policy a few months short of maturity would at least pay for her funeral expenses.

Today we found out that the disbursement will not cover a fraction of my Mother’s funeral expenses, which puts an extreme hardship on my family. As if this was not a big enough blow to our family, since we filed my Mother’s Death Certificate with Mutual of Omaha, we have received between three to five sales letters offering to sell my deceased Mother more life insurance policies. Like the policies my parents purchased, a section of these offerings have an acknowledgment statement to sign stating: “I understand that a reduced Death Benefit amount is payable during the first two years if death results from sickness or other natural causes.”

It is my understanding that a refund of money paid into a system is NOT considered a “reduced Death Benefit Amount”. And as it clearly states on my Mother’s Death Certificate that she died from natural causes, we dispute the Death Benefit Amount Mutual of Omaha has chosen to release to us. It pains my family greatly that Mutual of Omaha treated us in such a manner, as Mutual of Omaha was a company that we have trusted and believed in for over fifty years. We feel more than betrayed by a company we respected and trusted for over fifty years.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Very low monthly affordable rates which is awesome since I have insurance on my kids too. I purchased this policy for my mom and since she hasn't had a lot of health issues this policy was great for her. But very slow about answering questions whenever I called about concerns that I have, also they were dishonest about not needing a medical exam, they also seem to have a lot of new people on their team that act like they did not a lot of training and knowledge. The overall experience was amateur, they reps act as though they were not sure about what they were doing, I also had signed up for electronic billing and I NEVER received any of my statements via email. Would not purchase another policy.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Lashonda. We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback and thank you for the review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have had a good experience with the company plan on being with them for a long time. They have a wide range selection that you could choose from. I'm glad I chose this company for my insurance needs. This was the first company on my list to trying to get insurance. They cater to my needs, ask me questions and work out the best policy for me. I like everything about the company and have also told friends and other family members about the company. This is a company that everyone should know about. They treat you like they care about your needs.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I chose Mutual of Omaha because they could offer me the best deal of all the companies I researched. I compared a few and it is from a reputable company. They were easy to work with and offered exactly what I was looking for in an insurance company. It was a good overall experience.

Original review: April 18, 2018

It is low cost. Not time consuming and it is with a reputable company that I trust. They have been around for many years. It was an old plan and my mom chose it for me when I was little. I have had it for years and I pay every three to four months for it. Not bothersome. I picked up the bill after I moved out on my own I try to maintain payments so I can keep the plan.

Original review: March 30, 2018

My husband started his policy at age 82. Only 5K because of his age. He answered the questions to the best of his knowledge. There was no medical exam. I paid the premiums for exactly one year. He passed away in late January. It is now late March and I was denied the 5K because they claim he lied on his application. He was not a liar! He was a veteran who served this country. His death was not related to any of the questions on the application. I will get my premium money back but your company is a fraud, not my late husband. Denying a widow 5K is just wrong! I will take this matter as far as I can because you are liars in all of your commercials and ads. I wonder how you sleep at night. My husband's final expenses were more than 5K. No condolences, just rude people.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Mary Ellen. We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback, and thank you for contacting us. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have had the worst experience ever with them. My mother dies. I give them a full copy of the death cert. And all the info where she was cremated. They say, "We will contact you." They never do. I get ahold of them. It usually take 3 hrs to get through. They say there is no record of her death. I'm like, "I sent you all the information." Nothing. I do this a few times over and over for weeks. Finally one person says it's in processing. I say, "Ok how long is the average wait" they say, "I don't know."

I ask, "Just a estimate." "I don't know." A few weeks? A year? Months? "I don't know," they respond. I said you're saying I could be 80 years old before you pay off a 5k policy. Their representative said to me, "I can't confirm or deny that estimated time to payment." Are you kidding me. I said, "So no one in the entire company has any logistics whatsoever to have no clue as to how long a average policy claim takes?" They said no and hung up on me. What a joke. Worst company ever. My mother paid for the policy for when she died to be given to her family...me. And they treat me like I'm doing them a disservice...that I have done something wrong. I have been demeaned and emotionally harmed from the way they treat and refuse to give any information as of status or anything. I don't know if they will ever pay it...and I don't even know if I can do anything about it. I feel my family has been scammed by this company.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Michael. Thanks for the review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: March 14, 2018

My experience has been very positive, they were very easy to work with and set up. The agent that we met with was professional and did not try to push extra products to us. It covers me for 250K and that is very good for my family. This is very important because it provides a peace of mind in the event something happens. Although, I don't like the fact that I pay 35 dollars per month for the next 30 years. It seems that over the course of 30 years I will have paid a lot of money.

Mutual of Omaha expert review by Neal Frankle

Also a Fortune 500 company, Mutual of Omaha was founded in 1909 and is based in Omaha, Nebraska.

• Product variety: Mutual of Omaha sells almost every type of financial product imaginable.

• Reputation: Mutual of Omaha is highly rated, and has a long track record in the insurance business.

• Competition: Mutual of Omaha is a solid company but they may not always offer the most competitive products.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
    Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance Company Information