2.27/5

112 Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

My mother paid premiums on a John Wayne Cancer policy for many years. She was diagnosed with terminal ovarian cancer in May of 2018 and died from this cause several weeks later in a skilled nursing facility (not her residence) under professional hospice care. As her son and only heir, I filed for benefits of $630 dollars to help defray the cost of the hospice care she received which is clearly stated in the policy as a covered benefit.

Mutual of Omaha refused to pay any benefits, claiming that the hospice facility and confinement was her "place of residence", which was untrue and documented to be untrue. In short, the impression given was that their claims analysts have a vested interest in defining terms to avoid payment under their policy. If they condone this practice for $630, how much more incentive do they have to avoid payment on large policies that are sold to those expecting their loved ones to be taken care of?

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Rick. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

My parents both recently had to go into long term care due to dementia. I became their court appointed guardian and trustee of their estate. In going through all their finances I noticed my mother while going through the beginning stages of dementia began taking out lots of credit cards and spending a lot of money on magazine subscriptions and other things like many different life insurance policies which had high monthly premiums but very little return due to her age.

I cancelled all of these extraneous expenses. As an example of the typical experience of cancellation I had no trouble cancelling their New York Life, life insurance policy. They asked that I fax in the guardianship paperwork and they would cancel the policies. I did and called them back and they cancelled. I even got a refund, albeit small, for the value of each policy.

I found Mutual of Omaha on their bank statements as United/DTC INS Premium but couldn't find an actual paper policy in their files like I did with their other policies. So I called in and gave them their information to track down the policies. They found the policies and asked that I fax in the guardianship paperwork. I did and when I called back on a later date to make sure they processed the paperwork I got a very rude customer service rep who at first seemed to not be able to find the policies by simply giving her their names. After finally finding the policies she put me on hold and came back to tell me that my guardianship paperwork was received which would give me access to review their policy but wasn't a high enough level to allow me to cancel the policy. She said I would need to get a specific court order sent just to cancel their policy.

Now I know for a fact this just isn't true. I had gone through the process of much more rigorous scrutiny of gaining control over their retirement accounts and bank accounts by simply presenting the documents from the court ordering me as their appointed guardian of their estate and persons. I cancelled all their credit cards by faxing in these guardianship papers to each credit card company. Not one company challenged this paperwork and all cooperated accordingly.

Guardianship is a level higher than a power of attorney. The court appointed me as guardian because they were deemed incapacitated and weren't able to make any decisions like signing a power of attorney with me. So either Mutual of Omaha is intentionally lying in order to make it difficult to cancel policies which is fraud and illegal or they are terribly incompetent and not knowledgeable of the legal system. Either way this doesn't look good for a company that deals with legal matters like life insurance. I resolved this matter by calling my bank to have them block reoccurring charges.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Phillip. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

The life insurance we get is pretty good. Honestly I have nothing to compare it to since it is my only life insurance policy. But our contact is really great and hopefully when I die the insurance policy works.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I get enough junk mail everyday. I do not need anymore coming from people selling mailing lists. When you put my incorrect information out there and print false

mailing labels falsely I am mad. Remove me.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Paul. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. Please email your mailing address to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and we’ll have the mailings stopped.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

My wife and I have life policies with this company. A payment meant for me was accidentally applied to my wife's policy instead of mine. I NEVER got any phone call, letter, or official notice but they terminated my policy. Tried calling. The rep said it was in fact it was an error and he would get it resolved. This has been nearly two week and nothing has been corrected. AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE - buyer beware.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Richard. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch to discuss.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Very dissatisfied with Mutual of Omaha insurance. You can pay for a policy for 5k and pay over 10k and still only receive 5k so all extra money paid goes to Mutual Omaha. Just bad business. Do your research and use another company.

Original review: June 19, 2018

8 years ago I bought a 10,000 life insurance policy on my sister who lived with us and I took care of. We wanted to make sure we had funds to bury her when she passed. We received in the mail many solicitations and read each very carefully and chose Mutual of Omaha. We understood for the first 2 years if she passed the only benefit would be the return of our premiums. That was fair enough for us. My sister was with us for 8 more wonderful years until she passed on June 8, 2018. The funeral home we selected did everything for us including taking care of the life insurance policy. On June 15th we buried her. We got a call from Mutual of Omaha a check for 10,000 had been sent and on June 23rd we received it. Mutual of Omaha did everything we expected and more in a very prompt and timely manner. This is a great company!

Original review: May 23, 2018

My Family chose Mutual of Omaha because it was a name on which we could rely, and as a family, we took comfort in that. Over the years, Mutual of Omaha became the only trusted household name for life insurance for our family.

From the beginning, in 1963, my family enjoyed Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom television program, and we looked forward to sharing our family time watching the program as a family together. It was as if Mutual of Omaha WAS part of our family. Because of Mutual of Omaha’s commitment to education, preservation of wildlife, and other altruistic actions made by the company, we came to trust Mutual of Omaha and felt like all the other companies were only out there to make money, while Mutual of Omaha was different; Mutual of Omaha was a company to be trusted and believed in when things were hard.

For us the slogan “Mutual of Omaha is people you can ‘count on’ when the going's tough” was not a slogan for sales, it was reality we could trust enough to invest the security of our family. As a result, when the time came, we chose Mutual of Omaha as our Life Insurance Company. When we purchased these policies, my parents were healthy and happy, and had no idea illness would strike in the years to come.

Unfortunately, through our recent experience with Mutual of Omaha because of my Mother’s passing, we found that all our trust and respect for Mutual of Omaha was severely misplaced, and in many ways, we feel fools betrayed for buying into the “hype” at the expense of our family’s livelihood. There are many reasons for this feeling. In the beginning, we contacted Mutual of Omaha regarding my Mother’s death on May 8, 2018, and Mutual of Omaha met us with resistance and unprofessionalism.

As we checked on my Mother’s policy and other policies, Mutual of Omaha informed us that there was a good possibility that some of the policies sold to us by Mutual of Omaha were policies Mutual of Omaha knowingly and willingly sold to my elderly parents that would be unusable by them; policies for which we have been paying on for several years.

Next, Mutual of Omaha informed us that my Mother’s most recent and most significant policy was a few months short of maturity and we would receive only a return of the money we paid into the policy. After this first call, it took over eleven more to get accurate and relevant information for our policies. Mutual of Omaha returned none of our phone calls.

Furthermore, out of the over eleven calls we had to make to Mutual of Omaha, only two of the representatives we spoke to were professional, compassionate, and were even effective at their job. Despite the news the two professional representatives (one being Brittany **, who we were GRATEFUL to speak with and you are lucky to have working for you. I wish we knew the name of the other lady so we could thank her) were forced to bring to us, these two highly professional women were the only positive experiences we had out of our entire interaction with Mutual of Omaha.

For example, in one of the nine unacceptable calls, I was on hold for over forty-five minutes, I was unheard and aggressively verbally accosted by the customer service agent, to which I responded with an even tone in a kind and patient manner over eight times: “Thank you, I understand that you cannot give me that information, and I do not want to against protocol, but is there any way online, or anywhere else my family can find this information out about our policy? If you cannot speak to me, the Executor of the Estate, could you speak to someone else, perhaps my Father who has been married to my now deceased mother for fifty-nine years?” to which she finally responded with “If he wants to speak with me, I will assess if I can give him that information.”

As my father was unavailable when the Mutual of Omaha Representative finally answered the phone, after over forty-five minutes, we called the next day to find out that Mutual of Omaha had no intention of releasing any more money than what we had paid in, in essence just refunding our money, because my Mother’s policy was a few months short of maturity. We bought the policies to pay for funeral expenses, and we opted for the least expensive funeral options we could, due to the extreme cost of funerals these days. We were confident that due to our frugalness in our funeral planning, the “adjusted Death Benefit” policy a few months short of maturity would at least pay for her funeral expenses.

Today we found out that the disbursement will not cover a fraction of my Mother’s funeral expenses, which puts an extreme hardship on my family. As if this was not a big enough blow to our family, since we filed my Mother’s Death Certificate with Mutual of Omaha, we have received between three to five sales letters offering to sell my deceased Mother more life insurance policies. Like the policies my parents purchased, a section of these offerings have an acknowledgment statement to sign stating: “I understand that a reduced Death Benefit amount is payable during the first two years if death results from sickness or other natural causes.”

It is my understanding that a refund of money paid into a system is NOT considered a “reduced Death Benefit Amount”. And as it clearly states on my Mother’s Death Certificate that she died from natural causes, we dispute the Death Benefit Amount Mutual of Omaha has chosen to release to us. It pains my family greatly that Mutual of Omaha treated us in such a manner, as Mutual of Omaha was a company that we have trusted and believed in for over fifty years. We feel more than betrayed by a company we respected and trusted for over fifty years.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Very low monthly affordable rates which is awesome since I have insurance on my kids too. I purchased this policy for my mom and since she hasn't had a lot of health issues this policy was great for her. But very slow about answering questions whenever I called about concerns that I have, also they were dishonest about not needing a medical exam, they also seem to have a lot of new people on their team that act like they did not a lot of training and knowledge. The overall experience was amateur, they reps act as though they were not sure about what they were doing, I also had signed up for electronic billing and I NEVER received any of my statements via email. Would not purchase another policy.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Lashonda. We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback and thank you for the review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have had a good experience with the company plan on being with them for a long time. They have a wide range selection that you could choose from. I'm glad I chose this company for my insurance needs. This was the first company on my list to trying to get insurance. They cater to my needs, ask me questions and work out the best policy for me. I like everything about the company and have also told friends and other family members about the company. This is a company that everyone should know about. They treat you like they care about your needs.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I chose Mutual of Omaha because they could offer me the best deal of all the companies I researched. I compared a few and it is from a reputable company. They were easy to work with and offered exactly what I was looking for in an insurance company. It was a good overall experience.

Original review: April 18, 2018

It is low cost. Not time consuming and it is with a reputable company that I trust. They have been around for many years. It was an old plan and my mom chose it for me when I was little. I have had it for years and I pay every three to four months for it. Not bothersome. I picked up the bill after I moved out on my own I try to maintain payments so I can keep the plan.

Original review: March 30, 2018

My husband started his policy at age 82. Only 5K because of his age. He answered the questions to the best of his knowledge. There was no medical exam. I paid the premiums for exactly one year. He passed away in late January. It is now late March and I was denied the 5K because they claim he lied on his application. He was not a liar! He was a veteran who served this country. His death was not related to any of the questions on the application. I will get my premium money back but your company is a fraud, not my late husband. Denying a widow 5K is just wrong! I will take this matter as far as I can because you are liars in all of your commercials and ads. I wonder how you sleep at night. My husband's final expenses were more than 5K. No condolences, just rude people.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Mary Ellen. We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback, and thank you for contacting us. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have had the worst experience ever with them. My mother dies. I give them a full copy of the death cert. And all the info where she was cremated. They say, "We will contact you." They never do. I get ahold of them. It usually take 3 hrs to get through. They say there is no record of her death. I'm like, "I sent you all the information." Nothing. I do this a few times over and over for weeks. Finally one person says it's in processing. I say, "Ok how long is the average wait" they say, "I don't know."

I ask, "Just a estimate." "I don't know." A few weeks? A year? Months? "I don't know," they respond. I said you're saying I could be 80 years old before you pay off a 5k policy. Their representative said to me, "I can't confirm or deny that estimated time to payment." Are you kidding me. I said, "So no one in the entire company has any logistics whatsoever to have no clue as to how long a average policy claim takes?" They said no and hung up on me. What a joke. Worst company ever. My mother paid for the policy for when she died to be given to her family...me. And they treat me like I'm doing them a disservice...that I have done something wrong. I have been demeaned and emotionally harmed from the way they treat and refuse to give any information as of status or anything. I don't know if they will ever pay it...and I don't even know if I can do anything about it. I feel my family has been scammed by this company.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Michael. Thanks for the review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to discuss this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: March 14, 2018

My experience has been very positive, they were very easy to work with and set up. The agent that we met with was professional and did not try to push extra products to us. It covers me for 250K and that is very good for my family. This is very important because it provides a peace of mind in the event something happens. Although, I don't like the fact that I pay 35 dollars per month for the next 30 years. It seems that over the course of 30 years I will have paid a lot of money.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I called to make a request for new billing because I was leaving the country in 2 weeks and would missing their paper billing via mail. After waiting 20 minutes on hold I was told by customer service representative that I would get a new billing in the mail within 5 days. After waiting 10 days with no new billing in the mail, I called again and after waiting 30 minutes on hold I gave up. I sent a message through the website online message service. It said I may have to wait 14 days before getting an answer.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, L. Thanks for the review. Please accept our apologies for the service you have experienced. We take your concerns seriously and would like the opportunity to obtain additional information and provide assistance if possible. Email your policy number and phone number, along with a good time to call to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and a customer care associate will be in touch.

Original review: March 14, 2018

A man living in an assisted living home started a number of accounts in my Aunt's name. He was an identity thief. He also took out a policy on her life. She was too old to insure but he lied and collected money anyway. I have yet to hear from the fraud dept. I have informed them many times of the ruse. They aren't paying legitimate claims but they paid this one.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Japhus. Thanks for the review. We take your concerns seriously and would like the opportunity to obtain additional information and provide assistance if possible. Please email your preferred contact information to customercare@mutualofomaha.com.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I appreciate that Mutual of Omaha is a household name and has been in business for many years. I remember commercials from when I was a kid. They have a great reputation. I got insurance through them for both my son and his daughter when they were infants. My husband and I also have the cancer insurance.My overall experience has been fine although I haven't had a reason to test them. The price seems fair and comparable to others. Customer service has been very helpful when needed.

Original review: March 12, 2018

We have had them through our company for years and experience with them has been good so far. My job helps pay for it, thus I find it very helpful. There were also additional policies that covered more. I bought an additional policy including the one my job provided. I don't hear from them very often except when we re-enroll at work. As long as things are set up they don't personally come to the facility, which is fine.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance has a very good history of being very fair and dependable. Their service is outstanding and they helped me all the way through the process. Their website is different than others though. It takes a while to find what you are looking for and some of the descriptions are hard to understand so they need to improve on the navigating and make it more user-friendly. But after I got through the website and went to the office. I got a great rep that was very polite, professional and really cared about helping me find the right insurance that met my needs. Went through the options of the different types of insurance until we found the right plan for me. The company overall is very good and trustworthy.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I like Mutual of Omaha a lot. I and my mother both have been a customer for a very long time and we have always been very happy with Mutual of Omaha and will continue to be customers for a very long time.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I like that Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance is an older company and that they've been providing life insurance for so long. I know they will be in business when time comes to cash in my policy. I am satisfied with them but they sometimes seem old fashioned so the fact that they are an old company can be a minus too. But there are more benefits than spoilers. Overall experience has been great. Never considered many other companies because this insurance was given to me by my mother. I am responsible for making monthly payments. The policy can be borrowed against too. Payments are low for a decent amount of coverage. Their customer service is always nice and will go out of their way too. Would buy it again.

Original review: March 8, 2018

They offer discounts online on other insurance types that I would need in my daily life, such as auto, home and boaters insurance and cash out option. However I did wish that they gave kickbacks for having insurance like other companies do. For other branches of military. But I love this company. Never fails me. If I wanted to discontinue insurance I have had to call customer service and they did in fact help me and everything went well.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I have had this policy for over 40 years and have paid the premium each and every year. In 2017 I asked for full distribution and the nightmare started. Filled out all paperwork with the proper information including an address change. After months of following up they have even changed the address. It has been frustrating to say the least. All of my other insurance policies were no problem at all. Don't allow yourself to purchase from Mutual of Omaha.

Updated on 03/06/2018: I wrote a review to Mutual of Omaha and lo and behold they now want to talk or resolve my issue. That is really funny as I could never get a response before and now that can see a public post they want to help. The best thing is that Customer Service will be reaching out, they are the ones that caused the problem. I'm completely devoid of Mutual of Omaha policies.

Updated on 03/10/2018: Just wanted to follow up and let everyone know that I did receive a call from Customer Service. They were dumbfounded as to why this happen to me and said they would "look into it." This company has the WORST customer service and just don't care about the policyholder or like me a former policyholder. I would encourage anyone considering a purchase from Mutual of Omaha DON'T! Do your homework and seek out a better company.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Steve. Thanks for the review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you. If you would like to discuss this further, please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: March 1, 2018

They are a mutual company, therefore, I am one of the owners of the company for buying the insurance from them. And doing so lowers the total monthly cost to me. We (as a family) are not wealthy enough to not need life insurance and it is a way of putting net worth in place for people with a lack of net worth. Besides, it is really death insurance anyway.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

My Daughter Rachel was killed in an auto accident on Jan. 20th. She was 16 years old and unfortunately you don't ever plan on your child to not outlive you, so I really need this money to cover funeral cost. I have been calling since the 25th of January and have been told numerous times that I will receive a call back in 24-48 hours. I waited the first 48 hour and have yet to receive a phone call back except a week and a half ago by some women that left a number at my home and I specifically told them to have someone call me on my cell number. I have tried to contact this person 5 times with no phone call back. The claims dept. keeps telling me that they have to go to protocol to send the info to the death dept. They see all the times I have called but they tell me all they can do is send the message. You can't get a hold of a Supervisor or anyone to call you back. This is ridiculous!

I have been paying Mutual of Omaha for 9 years faithfully and now that I need the attention, so I can get someone to discuss the claim and how it will be handled the company is MIA!!! Do I need to get an attorney to contact them or the Insurance commissioner? I hope someone from Mutual of Omaha is reading this! This is a 22,000 policy for my Daughter. Is it really going to kill you guys to call me back? Check your records on how many damn times I have called you. I am going to let so many people know how bad their customer service is on social media and my community. Why do you even bother selling accident insurance if you don’t have the capability to have your people do their jobs.

I want a callback. I have to work for a living and I don't have the time to be sitting every day for 40 min on the phone with these people. I will be putting this out to as many people as I can this week that your company is horrible to work with. Please be aware that this company is horrible with customer service and their protocol is horrific that they only communicate in the claims dept by email. You cannot talk to anyone in that department unless they call you back.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Raeann. Thanks for the review. We passed your situation on to our customer care team. An associate will be in touch to discuss further.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

My friend, Marion, passed away on Jan 2, 2018. She had taken out a life insurance policy with United Life of Omaha Co, designating me as the sole beneficiary. However, it has been practically impossible to get through to the insurance company because they just hang up on the 1-800 number due to "heavy call volume." It does not matter what time of day you call to make a claim, you can never get through. Together, the executor of Marion's will and I have called nearly a dozen times. The one time we got through (after an hour's wait!), we complained about their service and asked if there was a direct line, fax or e-mail and were told no --the 1-800 number is the only way. We have still not been able to have a meaningful exchange of information to process the claim, and it has been over a month of trying.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Vijay. Sorry we kept you waiting. We listen carefully to our customers and occasionally that takes longer than expected. We'd like to discuss this further, please email your name, number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

My dad had a death policy with your company for years. Thinking he had coverage, that would cover him in the event of death. But when he passed away. My mom contacted the company to inform them of his death, she was told it wouldn't pay. My mom was in disbelief, with the information she had received. How does a company do that to someone?

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Brendal. Thank you for the review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

When my sister passed away in a house fire, the coroner ruled her death accidental. Mutual of Omaha dragged the process out for six months and finally refused to pay saying she didn't answer her questions on the application correctly. I believe that she did answer the questions correctly (some of the items they mentioned were not even how she had responded). They certainly didn't have problems taking her premiums. Even more insulting are all the requests from Mutual of Omaha after her death offering "guaranteed acceptance with no physical exam required" insurance. It's bad when people think they have their final expenses covered. I think it's a form of false advertising.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Emily. Thanks for the review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

We bought a Universal Life Insurance policy for my husband and I over 20 years ago. They did send me a summary sheet. They ended up requiring that I pay over $2500 a month to catch the policy up. I called the company and then my agent. No response from her. After over 20 years of making payments, the policy has cash out value of $1184.25. The agent is WELL aware of the scam or she would call me back. This type of scam collects yearly fees for over 20 years around $50,000, allows a policy to go into the bad somehow, to such a degree that the policy is eventually canceled because we can't pay the monthly payments. Guess we got too old and they didn't have to pay out the death benefit. We're going to have to stop making payments and let it cancel. Our 4th payment monthly of $2000+ is due 1-27-2018. So they got another $7500 from us for the last 3 months trying to work this out.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Warren. Thanks for the review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and we'll be in touch.

Mutual of Omaha expert review by Neal Frankle

Also a Fortune 500 company, Mutual of Omaha was founded in 1909 and is based in Omaha, Nebraska.

• Product variety: Mutual of Omaha sells almost every type of financial product imaginable.

• Reputation: Mutual of Omaha is highly rated, and has a long track record in the insurance business.

• Competition: Mutual of Omaha is a solid company but they may not always offer the most competitive products.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance Company Information