Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance
2.05/5
Based on 120 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a life insurance company?

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance

121 Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 9, 2018

I like that Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance is an older company and that they've been providing life insurance for so long. I know they will be in business when time comes to cash in my policy. I am satisfied with them but they sometimes seem old fashioned so the fact that they are an old company can be a minus too. But there are more benefits than spoilers. Overall experience has been great. Never considered many other companies because this insurance was given to me by my mother. I am responsible for making monthly payments. The policy can be borrowed against too. Payments are low for a decent amount of coverage. Their customer service is always nice and will go out of their way too. Would buy it again.

Original review: March 8, 2018

They offer discounts online on other insurance types that I would need in my daily life, such as auto, home and boaters insurance and cash out option. However I did wish that they gave kickbacks for having insurance like other companies do. For other branches of military. But I love this company. Never fails me. If I wanted to discontinue insurance I have had to call customer service and they did in fact help me and everything went well.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
    Original review: March 5, 2018

I have had this policy for over 40 years and have paid the premium each and every year. In 2017 I asked for full distribution and the nightmare started. Filled out all paperwork with the proper information including an address change. After months of following up they have even changed the address. It has been frustrating to say the least. All of my other insurance policies were no problem at all. Don't allow yourself to purchase from Mutual of Omaha.

Updated on 03/06/2018: I wrote a review to Mutual of Omaha and lo and behold they now want to talk or resolve my issue. That is really funny as I could never get a response before and now that can see a public post they want to help. The best thing is that Customer Service will be reaching out, they are the ones that caused the problem. I'm completely devoid of Mutual of Omaha policies.

Updated on 03/10/2018: Just wanted to follow up and let everyone know that I did receive a call from Customer Service. They were dumbfounded as to why this happen to me and said they would "look into it." This company has the WORST customer service and just don't care about the policyholder or like me a former policyholder. I would encourage anyone considering a purchase from Mutual of Omaha DON'T! Do your homework and seek out a better company.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Steve. Thanks for the review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you. If you would like to discuss this further, please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: March 1, 2018

They are a mutual company, therefore, I am one of the owners of the company for buying the insurance from them. And doing so lowers the total monthly cost to me. We (as a family) are not wealthy enough to not need life insurance and it is a way of putting net worth in place for people with a lack of net worth. Besides, it is really death insurance anyway.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

My Daughter Rachel was killed in an auto accident on Jan. 20th. She was 16 years old and unfortunately you don't ever plan on your child to not outlive you, so I really need this money to cover funeral cost. I have been calling since the 25th of January and have been told numerous times that I will receive a call back in 24-48 hours. I waited the first 48 hour and have yet to receive a phone call back except a week and a half ago by some women that left a number at my home and I specifically told them to have someone call me on my cell number. I have tried to contact this person 5 times with no phone call back. The claims dept. keeps telling me that they have to go to protocol to send the info to the death dept. They see all the times I have called but they tell me all they can do is send the message. You can't get a hold of a Supervisor or anyone to call you back. This is ridiculous!

I have been paying Mutual of Omaha for 9 years faithfully and now that I need the attention, so I can get someone to discuss the claim and how it will be handled the company is MIA!!! Do I need to get an attorney to contact them or the Insurance commissioner? I hope someone from Mutual of Omaha is reading this! This is a 22,000 policy for my Daughter. Is it really going to kill you guys to call me back? Check your records on how many damn times I have called you. I am going to let so many people know how bad their customer service is on social media and my community. Why do you even bother selling accident insurance if you don’t have the capability to have your people do their jobs.

I want a callback. I have to work for a living and I don't have the time to be sitting every day for 40 min on the phone with these people. I will be putting this out to as many people as I can this week that your company is horrible to work with. Please be aware that this company is horrible with customer service and their protocol is horrific that they only communicate in the claims dept by email. You cannot talk to anyone in that department unless they call you back.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Raeann. Thanks for the review. We passed your situation on to our customer care team. An associate will be in touch to discuss further.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

My friend, Marion, passed away on Jan 2, 2018. She had taken out a life insurance policy with United Life of Omaha Co, designating me as the sole beneficiary. However, it has been practically impossible to get through to the insurance company because they just hang up on the 1-800 number due to "heavy call volume." It does not matter what time of day you call to make a claim, you can never get through. Together, the executor of Marion's will and I have called nearly a dozen times. The one time we got through (after an hour's wait!), we complained about their service and asked if there was a direct line, fax or e-mail and were told no --the 1-800 number is the only way. We have still not been able to have a meaningful exchange of information to process the claim, and it has been over a month of trying.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Vijay. Sorry we kept you waiting. We listen carefully to our customers and occasionally that takes longer than expected. We'd like to discuss this further, please email your name, number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

My dad had a death policy with your company for years. Thinking he had coverage, that would cover him in the event of death. But when he passed away. My mom contacted the company to inform them of his death, she was told it wouldn't pay. My mom was in disbelief, with the information she had received. How does a company do that to someone?

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Brendal. Thank you for the review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

When my sister passed away in a house fire, the coroner ruled her death accidental. Mutual of Omaha dragged the process out for six months and finally refused to pay saying she didn't answer her questions on the application correctly. I believe that she did answer the questions correctly (some of the items they mentioned were not even how she had responded). They certainly didn't have problems taking her premiums. Even more insulting are all the requests from Mutual of Omaha after her death offering "guaranteed acceptance with no physical exam required" insurance. It's bad when people think they have their final expenses covered. I think it's a form of false advertising.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Emily. Thanks for the review. If you’d like to discuss this further, we’d like to listen. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

We bought a Universal Life Insurance policy for my husband and I over 20 years ago. They did send me a summary sheet. They ended up requiring that I pay over $2500 a month to catch the policy up. I called the company and then my agent. No response from her. After over 20 years of making payments, the policy has cash out value of $1184.25. The agent is WELL aware of the scam or she would call me back. This type of scam collects yearly fees for over 20 years around $50,000, allows a policy to go into the bad somehow, to such a degree that the policy is eventually canceled because we can't pay the monthly payments. Guess we got too old and they didn't have to pay out the death benefit. We're going to have to stop making payments and let it cancel. Our 4th payment monthly of $2000+ is due 1-27-2018. So they got another $7500 from us for the last 3 months trying to work this out.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Warren. Thanks for the review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and we'll be in touch.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Upon contact with the Mutual of Omaha rep, and before signing papers, I insisted on whole life. Upon receipt of documents, I called the rep and she assured me she sold me a whole life policy. Their trained rep lied, sold me a universal life, not whole, and nothing but a slap on her wrist took place. After investing over $25K, I found out the truth, because premiums had gone up. Never on whole life. Whole life was easy to purchase back then. Mutual of Omaha’s staff “pass the buck” and now my orphaned granddaughter will be left with nothing. I trusted the name so much I even tossed an action file suit form in the trash. I trusted the rep. I am heartbroken to have sacrificed so much and be disregarded. Never an investigation. Begged rep to be honest and tell them she made an error.

Last time I spoke to the rep, she informed me she was told to never speak to me again. She would not reveal the name. Return my premiums and stop the corruption. Where is this company’s conscience, to do this to a 2 year old in 2002 then ask for additional premiums. Epitome of indecency. Advice: Take documents to an attorney, pay a fee to “read between the lines” and ensure this never happens to you and your loved ones. I have a copy of documents. Respectfully submitted.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I bought a Universal Life Insurance policy for my husband and I over 20 years ago. The monthly fees kept going up to the point where it not only ate up all of the investment, but went into the "red". The single page sheet report they sent had nothing noted except a summary on the back. They ended up requiring that I pay over $1500 to catch the policy up. I called, complained to a VP & they let me pay off the amount, increased my policy payment by 1/3 so that it wouldn't happen again. Since then, I have had to increase my payment another time.

Now I have been required to REDUCE the coverage so that the payment doesn't go up yet again. After over 20 years, the policy has NO money in it, I have less coverage and it will probably happen again and again. The agents are WELL aware of the scam on the "report" that most people miss, as I talked with an agent and they nodded. This is a complaint that has been reported by many. This type of scam collects monthly fees, allows a policy to go into the red to such a degree that the policy is eventually canceled.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Karen. Thanks for the review. We take your concerns seriously and would like the opportunity to obtain additional information and provide assistance if possible. Please email your policy number and phone number, along with a good time to call you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I requested info for Plan F for medicare, unfortunately gave my phone number. I got a call immediately, as soon as I had clicked. A very rude lady asked me as to, "What do you want?" I was stunned. I started saying it is about Plan F and she became even ruder. Then I hung up. What a way to treat a potential customer.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response
    Hi, David. Please accept our apologies for the service you have experienced.

We take your concerns seriously and would like the opportunity to obtain additional information and provide assistance if possible. Please email your phone number, along with a good time to call you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and we'll be in touch. Thanks.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I bought a $20,000 life insurance and best part was I did not have to wait for it to be effective. Very well pleased with my agent Steve **, great agent!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance were a great company. I was with them for about 3 years when my husband passed away, they sent me a check right away. I don't know what we would have done without it. Thank you United of Omaha.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

My dad recently passed away and I was absolutely dreading filing the claim for his life insurance policy. Saying it out loud is difficult since it's still so fresh. About 3 weeks after he passed, I called United of Omaha Life Insurance Company to report the claim and ask what they needed from me to file the claim. They said they only needed to verify his passing and asked who was handling the funeral service. I explained that we were having a memorial for him and that he had actually donated his body to science. I suggested they contact the donation center to verify his death. The rep put me on hold, called the donation program and verified his passing. The check was cut and mailed the very next day. I thanked the rep for making a difficult call / process so easy and for being flexible in the death verification process.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I initially trusted these folks. Until, I discovered that my siblings were using a broker and getting the same supplement (Plan F - gov't defined -- exact) and getting much lower rates even though older and without health status advantages. Bottom line is that if you stay with these folks, they will reward you with substantially higher premiums. Do not trust them and fail to shop other sources. If using a gov't plan, trust that all companies are offering the same features.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

This company has ZERO customer service!!! From day one they've had little customer service. I canceled for a cheaper company with customer service... When I canceled my policy my new insurance sent a letter and I called. Mutual Omaha sent me a cancelation letter so I shredded all the packet information and never looked back. Two months later I realize they had mischarged me two months so I called to have it fixed. The woman was nice, back dated, and promised me a refund 10 days later via USPS. 16 days pass and nothing so I call again to find out they declined my refund because they claim there's no proof of this letter they sent me and they are unwilling to refund me the mistake on their end. The woman I talked to the second time kept interrupting me on the phone and wouldn't listen until I reminded her I was in the middle of talking and wished to finish one sentence without being disrupted.

She told me she'd have it reviewed again and I asked for someone to call me. She was rude not because she treated me rude but because she treated me like just another customer and I told her I was getting really frustrated and upset with the lack of customer service and misinformation and bad record keeping on their end and she had nothing nice to say. I requested a callback from a manager and she said she marked my account and got off the phone. All I want is my refund promised to me in the first place. But after being treated so rudely, not having anyone call me to talk about anything with my policy and being treated like just another **. I will NEVER use this company again AND I recommend that you don't use them. If you do - good luck. All reviews I have seen now say 2 stars at best. BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Original review: June 16, 2017

I have had this company since Nov. No policy still has been sent out. The agent who set it up was supposed to set it up for 100,000 but lower. The agent is trying to tell me no other company has locked in life insurance and it changed which only certain companies will. I've asked for a returned as I will don't have a policy and waiting 3 weeks still...

Original review: June 14, 2017

My mother passed in late February, she had 2 policies with each of my children as beneficiaries. My daughter calls in March and 2 wks later gets her money. It's June and my son can not get his measly $400 dollars. Constant excuses with paperwork back and forth. I will/would never advise to buy from this company...

Original review: May 21, 2017

When my husband passed I contacted Mutual of Omaha for the payout of the policy my husband had been paying for years. After a lengthy time I called for status and the customer service rep took great delight in informing my claim was denied. I contacted my lawyer and he was able to get a fifth of the payoff. They have so many clauses that they rarely pay off. I really could of used the funds and I am sure my husband thought I would of been taken care of. They have no compassion.

Original review: May 17, 2017

This experience with Mutual of Omaha on a death claim has really been sad. Have been waiting for 6 mos & still haven't received payment. Everyone in Customer Service has a different lie to tell on the claim. I have been given the runaround for 4 mos now, can't talk to the manager or no one else over the call representatives. I got this insurance policy for my mother & I will never use them again for me or another family member... poor business.

Original review: May 9, 2017

This bunch of rag tag thieves are lower than low! Like many of the other reviewers I've experienced poor customer service, (I too was told they would be back to me in 24-48 hours--it's now been a week) poor leadership from the top down promoting a culture that approves bully intimidating tactics pretending to care about their policyholders. All they care about is the money. 95 year old female, premiums going up due to age, requested a solution for a lesser amount of insurance so she would not be left without some coverage after paying a 5 figure premium for 20 years. They want the policy to lapse so they make money and pay nothing. Horrible, would not recommend them.

Original review: April 28, 2017

I have cancelled my policy after over 6 years. The misleading and false information is unacceptable. Not once not twice but 3 times within two years. Say they mailed out the information requested. Never arrives. They continue with no accountability. They have taken out premiums every month on time from Chase. Yet when they owe you money they mislead you that it is the mail... The person that you spoke to trying to correct the problem is no longer available. Can't get beyond the person (Customer Service). Finally relief that I have cancelled. Waiting for my cash value to end my association with this company. Said was in the mail. Do I believe them? No!

Original review: April 17, 2017

I rarely write reviews, and have never done one for an insurance company, but Mutual of Omaha deserves one. My mother passed away on 3/26. I called the company to find out how to go about collecting her life insurance benefits. Customer service rep looked up her accounts and obituary online and I had the checks within days (not that I was in any rush mind you). I called back saying I needed forms 712 on both policies, again they arrived within days and completed correctly. Other companies she had policies with wanted their forms notarized, and one even has me giving her medical history and permission to contact her doctors. WHAT?! Give me a break!!! She was 85. So un-user friendly! Extremely impressed with Mutual of Omaha. If my husband and I hadn't bought our plans years ago, I would definitely purchase them from this company.

Original review: March 11, 2017

Flawless process for term-life policy, decent customer service. Tried to apply with Protective and it took them 4 month to issue the policy! (Obviously I didn't signed it.) Mutual of Omaha took them only 3 weeks.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

Money was taken out of my account for my husband life insurance. Called my bank TD Bank. Found out my account was compromised. Called Mutual of Omaha in reference. Kept getting the runaround saying they will pay me my money back that the money they withdrew out of my account over overdraw my account and I was charged $35. The lady in which I talked to said it takes 39 days. This was since November 16, 2016. I called again supposed to have talk to somebody higher up in the company they assured me that the money was in the mail. I explained to them that I was a senior on social security. The money was in the mail ever since last Thursday. It now 4 days before Christmas no check. I'm frustrated so. It looks as though I'm going to press fraud charges against them.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

Acquired three whole life policies through Mutual of Omaha. I have had a mix of customer service experiences over the three years I've had these policies. The mix is mainly with the attitudes of representatives. Ranging from very pleasant to despicable. Having the business I contacted them completed in a timely fashion or at all, is another story. I need a very simple letter as does millions of other people in the beginning of the year stating the values of the policy. It is a short and simple form letter, that they must have to provide for a large number of their customers. Every year thus far it has been an arduous task to obtain this simple document from them. Even the copy they claim they can provide to you via email in 48 hours seems never to make it.

The last CSR I spoke with told me if they weren't able to provide me with the documents I need in the time I need them I have the option to cancel my policies and forfeit the premiums I have paid the last three years and then laughed. I hung up on him and called back only to find out that the documents I requested (a week ago) were never submitted and only a request for a change of beneficiary has been made. I never made that request. Seems very shady to me. I am first going to complain on every board and blog there is, inform the BBB, and file a complaint with my States Department of Banking and Insurance. I am considering very seriously about filing a lawsuit to recover my premiums, on the grounds that after a certain amount of time they fail to provide you with customer service and withhold documents that you need, in an effort for you to cancel your policy and keeping your premiums you've paid thus far free and clear.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

I applied for a policy with Mutual of Omaha in July. Every week thereafter they requested bizarre documents and more information from tax returns three years back to a copy of my employment contract. We had to make one. My employer does not use contracts. It was not until November that I received final word from them. It was a terrible experience just trying to get the policy. I can only imagine how difficult they make it when they have to pay. Oh wait, I don't have to imagine. My friend's father was killed in a tragic accident and it took almost two years and an attorney to get Mutual of Omaha to honor the policy.

I would be very cautious before dealing with this company. They exist for the benefit of their shareholders. They are not here to help you. It is impossible to get someone on the phone and, when you finally do, they "don't know" or "can't". I would get an attorney and have them review all of the fine print because this company is out to make money only - not protect consumers.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

My mother passed on Aug. 3rd 2016 and she had a policy on myself with this company. I called to check on this policy and was told that in order to cash-out I had to get the policy in my name to surrender it. Well, I did everything that I was supposed to do on my end and in a timely matter to just be done with this policy. I was told 21 calendar days to process and the funds will be mailed. I called again today which makes it day 23 and was told they are still processing. I asked were they behind and the lady said no they weren't. It's not about the money at all I just want to get what's due the family because my mom's hard earned money was put into this policy.

I don't like the run around that they give you like it's a call center that you are speaking to and the professionalism makes you feel like you are getting on their nerves. I will be reporting this company to the Better Business Bureau because I do believe that this company has fraudulent activity. I would not recommend getting life insurance benefits from here.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

20 year ago this November my husband purchased, through his business a million dollar -20 year pay term insurance policy. When he left the company, we kept paying the monthly premiums to this day. Now that he is coming to the end of his 20th year, the policy goes to 6 figures a month. Obviously, beyond what we can pay annually. They tell us that somewhere in the 20 page+ document 5 years ago, if we had called THEM (or the agent)... who don't know where he is we had a chance to buy less insurance and continue the policy like at $100K. Obviously at 15 years into the policy, we had it filed with our final documents and never called. Consequently, he is turning 79 and he has NO life insurance and he has had health issues and cannot pass a physical.

As seniors this is a RIP OFF that we should be expected to remember something that happened 20 years ago. We don't make a practice of reviewing our final documents on a yearly or even at that time 5 year basis. So we have paid in over $200,000 and can't get insurance. I find it interesting that not once in the past 20 years have they missed taking out on a monthly premium... Wow, if I had changed bank accounts or did not have funds,, they would have reached out to me. But they can't do the same... Don't they realize we are seniors and have not the best recall of things that happened 20 years ago. What made us recall is that we remember it was a 20 year policy. I understand it is common amongst insurers like Mutual of Omaha to do this... They win - we lose.

I think this practice of ripping off people as they age (and did not have to collect on the insurance) should be investigated by Congress or at least State Insurance policies... We are not asking for anything but at least a portion of the total premium paid in should be put into force as term insurance and we would gladly pay the premium for $100K or the same outrageous amount that we were paying for 1 million... we would pay for $100K.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance Company Information