Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mutual of Omaha?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

My father passed on April 27, 2021. Today is September 7, 2021 and still no payout of his term policy. The claim was filed about 1 week after he passed. The communication is terrible with this company. We last reached out 3 weeks ago to find out they were waiting on information from a Doctor that we were able to get done with one phone call. At that point we were told it is under review, yet 3 weeks later, still nothing. This company does not have your family's best interest in mind. We still don't know if they will actually payout the policy. There are much better companies out there.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Chris. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to look into this further to see what is happening. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Updated on 03/01/2022: My husband died on 9/5/2020. For a year and a half they sent me “research” documents. Finally they decided to not pay because my husband got a reckless driving ticket in 2016! I hired an attorney and today they tried to offer me 10,000 on a 300,000 policy! The nerve. KEEP LOOKING FOR A DIFFERENT COMPANY. THIS IS A SCAM COMPANY.

Original Review: A YEAR ago during the pandemic my beloved passed away. He left behind two children. It took a YEAR for then to research and try to find a reason not to pay out the insurance claim. In the end they denied paying us for a question WE DID NOT FILL OUT. Our agent was given a subpoena to answer UNDER OATH that he filled out the questions. We have had to go through so much as he was the main source of income for his kids' survival. The end result is that they have shady underwriting and practices where we found out MANY policies are not honored. Do NOT choose this for your family. We also thought we were working with the best based on reviews and etc. This is not our experience and they were not communicative other than one layer a month for an entire year about this “investigation”. Truly another issue with our system and how it is set up to take from us and not be any peace of mind when death did happen.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

30 yrs ago took out whole life insurance thinking we have nothing to worry about, now 30 yrs later hubby turned 66. They say we have universal insurance and in order to keep need to pay higher premium. On social security how can people afford it. How many other people did this sales rep do this to. Nothing liked being robbed of your of your security.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Becky. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: July 30, 2021

My father passed away in January 2021 and he had his insurance policy for 1 year and 11 months. They denied the life insurance claim. My father was diagnosed with cancer the last 2 months of his life. The insurance company had me get all this information to just deny the claim. The claim started in February and it's July 2021 and they just denied it. The worst company ever a bunch of liars that don't pay love ones claim. Don't do business with this company

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Debbie. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We'd like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: May 3, 2021

Refinance was a joke. Two months later and still having issues closing. I withdrew my application to go with another company and they say that they denied my loan due to issues with my well. I was not declined. Never have I ever had so many issues with a refinance.

Original review: March 11, 2021

I was paired with Mutual of Omaha through Costco's mortgage program. The agent I was assigned to presented me with a very attractive offer for a refinance on my mortgage. After getting my application in, this agent ignored me on many different occasions. He even went on vacation for a week and did not have the decency to inform me, nor pass me onto a colleague who actually had time to work with me. Emails and phone calls were continuously ignored. All of this occurred during the time I was desperately trying to get a rate lock in, but his delays eventually caused me to lock in a higher mortgage rate with a lower lender credit two and a half weeks later.

I took my grievances to Costco and Mutual of Omaha, but they decided to do nothing for me other than a mediocre apology and a pathetic $500 refund, even though this horrible experience will end up costing me thousands of dollars over the life of my loan. Mutual of Omaha deserves zero stars or less for the experience I went through. I have no idea to this day why I was ignored... It was as though they were purposefully trying to delay my rate lock so that they didn't have to give me the offer that was originally presented to me.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Arun. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customerservice@mutualmortgage.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

Updated on 02/17/2021: Hello. I sent an email to customercare@mutualofomaha.com yesterday morning 2/16/21 regarding the issue below but, have not received a response. I will send another email today.

Original Review: Hello. I was contacted by my Agent, yesterday morning to sign a document that needed to be returned as soon as possible to finalize my approval for a 20 year term policy, with a face value of 300,000. He has been wonderful by the way as I am new to this process and needed some guidance. He says that I need to sign this document by 2/18. I am writing because I never received the policy to view in advance, or the medical results, or any other results relating to my classification rating.

Previous to the approval, I did as my Agent suggested, and went thru the medical exam which to my knowledge per my Agent it came back great. Also I have never been a tobacco user. Further I offered and forwarded additional medical information with genetic testing results. I am hoping to be reclassified with a lower monthly premium amount. It seems as though I am directed to pay for a 20 year term with a face value of $500,000 or more. Please advise. Thank you so much.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Janine. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. Our Customer Care team is available to help by calling 1-800-775-6000 Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Fridays, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. or by email at customercare@mutualofomaha.com.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

I’m very pleased with Mutual of Omaha’s ongoing efforts to educate their customers on what your insurance and financial wellness needs are. My agent regularly checks in on us at least twice a year, providing a free yearly financial advisor review also. Our insurance policies vary from whole life which earns return interest of no less than 4% yearly. I’m very confident and pleased that Mutual of Omaha is meeting our insurance needs with life, long term care, and retirement annuities investments.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I really wish I had time to change mortgage companies but unfortunately time is not on my side as I am coming up on the end of my lease. My house is done and has been done for two weeks now. The only thing that is holding me up from moving is this mortgage company. It appears they are dragging their feet and hiding behind emails. I reach out for an update and they always say they are “waiting” for something else from someone else. The last time they said that I personally reached out to who they were waiting on and got the information in 5 mins. At this point I’m doing their job for them. They gave my realtor a hard time when he wanted to speak with them and ask questions. This experience has been a nightmare. I don’t have a closing date, I don’t know the status. I so desperately want this all to be over with, I get anxiety just thinking about everything that I have been dealing with. I wish I knew this months ago.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Original review: Dec. 25, 2020

I took out my accidental death life insurance (not a whole life) over a decade ago to ensure my spouse an adequate income in my untimely death. Working with Mutual of Omaha I found a policy that provides me with the coverage I need for the price I can afford. They set me up with automatic payments from my bank account, so there's no chance that the policy would lapse if my spouse was delayed in submitting for benefits. Plus Mutual of Omaha notifies me by email in advance of taking payment every month, which assures me that all is in order.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

Have this supplement 15 years. M of O just increased 35% now that I’m 80. This is how you could be rewarded for loyal 15 years to them. My policy now costs $460 per month and of course I’ll see doctors more but had many years of not a dime spent. And this is my reward.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Mutual of Omaha Mortgage division is a complete waste of time. Unprofessional and total liars. Do not waste your time with these jerks. 800+ score, more money in investments than the mortgage amount, and still denied by stupid so called mortgage professionals. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. These imbeciles at MOO do not return emails, phone calls, or text messages. All of their staff should be fired.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Richard. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to speak with you further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customerservice@mutualmortgage.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I have a practical and effective insurance policy with great and affordable rates. Company has an excellent and easy to use website. The payment services it offers vary and you have choices on how to make payments. I am more than pleased with this company.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

I first signed up for life insurance policies for my family (4) 18 years ago as well as my mother. We recently found out we were told completely total lies about the premiums. My mother’s premiums went up so high she could no longer afford them and by this happening I realized this would also happen to me. Complete lies! I went with a different agent this time to get better policies ( don’t know why I stuck with M of O) and it has been a nightmare. We are going on 4 months to get these new policies in effect. I have 0 confidence that if something happened to me that Mutual of Omaha would take care of my family.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Carl. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: July 28, 2020

My spouse and I signed up for 200,000 policies a year ago because we were told it was life insurance, found out today when I went on their website to change payment form that it was limited accident not life insurance. we have been paying a year on what we thought we would be able to pay our house off if something to one of us, only to find out we were scammed and would have gotten nothing unless one of us died in an accident. Stay away from this company. I have requested full refund of the premiums we have paid into the false insurance. See how it goes.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Micheal. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 13, 2020

We were approached as a Costco member special deal while we were in the process of refinancing our current home. They beat our deal with another company so we have decided to go with them. Big mistake! The process was incredibly slow with very limited communication. It was dragged incredibly to the point when the 55 day lock had passed and the new deal had to be made. I would say it’s their loss to lose us. I would advise everyone who’s considering a mortgage and or refinancing to go with someone else to take care of it promptly as long as the rate is compatible.

Original review: June 30, 2020

My son, who may have been a customer in the past, died in 2007 and still receives promotional mail from Mutual of Omaha.... I have contacted the company numerous times with no result.... I guess my son will live on forever, even though it is upsetting to get mail addressed to him on a periodic basis....

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Perry. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review and please accept our apologies for the unwanted mail you have been receiving. Please email your son's name and mailing address to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and we’ll have the mailings stopped.

Resolution response: June 4, 2020

I was contacted by customer service and received a copy of the policy I requested. The issue has been resolved to my satisfaction.

Original review: May 17, 2020

Updated on 05/28/2020: On May 18 I was promised a duplicate policy was put in the mail, 10 days have passed and I still have not received it. This is ridiculous, I am really frustrated with your company, my premiums are paid - all I’m asking for is a copy of the policy.

Original review: I have been paying premiums on a life insurance policy on my daughter since 1989. Over the years and several moves I misplaced/lost my policy. I have made 3 requests for a duplicate, NO ONE has acknowledged my request or contacted me. Very poor customer service.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Gloria. Thanks for the message. We'd like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I have been a customer for 20 years or thereabout. I have had term life and as my insurance was going to jump over $400 a month I called to possibly switch my policy for something more affordable. I was told that I could not do it with them and that I had to do it through an independent agent. WHY? I guess they only want your money and don't want to do any work. Therefore my only option was to cancel my policy and go through an independent agent and start the process all over. I will be looking for a company who wants to treat their customers well and not just collect their money. I would give it no stars if it were not for Amy in customer service. She was very pleasant and tried her best to take care of my problem but there was nothing she could do. What an embarrassment!!

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Ernie. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We’d like to discuss this further with you. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

My elderly mother had purchased a policy many years ago. She’s been paying a hundred a month and has paid over ten thousand dollars into this policy. My mother is eighty six and decided to cash out this policy, she called and was informed she has to be 100 years old or she’ll receive a little over three thousand dollars!!! She’s paid well over 10 GRAND and never missed a payment. I’ll be contacting the attorney general on this issue. How dare they thieve off the elderly!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

I received an application today in the mail. After filling it out and putting a check in the envelope for the first month payment, I decided to read some reviews of others that had prior experience with this company. I figured it would be best to see how this company had treated other people BEFORE sending in my application and money. WOW, I'M so glad I did!! After reading many reviews, I voiced my check and tore up the application!! I don't need that kind of insurance experience in my life!! Barbara **

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

A few years back, I called Mutual of Omaha about borrowing from my whole life. I was told that I could. The customer rep said I had the option of borrowing to pay back or borrow and my loan amount would lower my insurance amount by the amount borrowed but I would not have to pay it back. I chose to have my amount lowered so I wouldn't have to pay back. I was then sent the check.

Time went on and I got a letter in the mail that says I agreed to pay back the loan. So I called mutual of omaha about the matter. This man came on and said I agreed to pay it back. I requested that my call be reviewed. I was told that they could not listen to the conversation. I persisted and called again when I got another letter to say I should pay back. This time the person said write a letter to dispute. I did so, and then they said they received it so I called again. This time the person I spoke to say I can request the call I did that and again I was told that it's not avail. It is not right that they can just go about changing agreements. I also asked why was there no letter sent for me to sign when I first ask to take money from the policy so that I could have it in writing. They unfortunately don't do that. So they can always screw the customer over.

I am still fighting this today but it's been since 2/13 and all I keep seeing when they contact me every once in a while is that the loan amount is like 2 two thousand dollar more than the original loan. This is not right. I have been paying into this insurance for more than 20 years religiously thru automatic withdrawal. I wee from reviews I've read that this kind of thing happens to a lot of people. For the love of money.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

My husband, a Veteran of Korea, US Army, saved 122$ a month to purchase a 10,000$ life insurance policy to pay for his funeral. His Social Security check was only $566. A month, he paid for his insurance out of this check. He lived in a nursing home and of course they took everything else he had. At the time of his death my son was the beneficiary of the policy, to pay for funeral expenses. We called to claim them on the policy. The Representative on the phone said, "Oh, you don’t get anything, the State of Texas gets the money!!" Why? Because my son owed child support. His place of employment is taking child support out of his paycheck. But the State of Texas said, "Well his ex might have applied for state assistance sometime in the past."

Shame on the State of Texas and Shame on the insurance Company! An elderly veteran thought he had everything taken care of, just to be slapped in the face in death. How can this happen? Not one person ever once said if you leave your policy to anyone that has owed the state will get nothing! Where in this policy say; “BEWARE” and be careful who you leave your policy to. The policy was paid for by the deceased not by someone who owes something to the State! So folks ask questions. Find out the facts before you pay years for a policy that you will never get paid on!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I pay and not get the money. I pay and Omaha keep the my free money. So do not buy the life insurance. You will not be happy. I am in Washington. At my age I cancel it so no money back. Omaha get free money.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

My father was hospitalized. His policy included coverage for his hospital stay. We called repeatedly to file a claim. Every time we were given the run around. Each time citing some issue we needed to resolve. And a different reason the claim could not be paid. We were even advised that the initial daily fee - which was $75, was actually $50. Even after my father passed we could still not receive the funds due to him and our family. Horrible and inconsistent service. Every time we call the representative says no claim was ever filed. Last rep I spoke to said she would email me "paperwork" to fill out. She never sent anything. What a despicable way to treat people especially after a loss. They don't even deserve one star.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Ev. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

This is the 2nd review as the 1st never showed up. In Sept I requested a 700$ policy loan. I was told it was mailed on Oct 14. Mailed with no tracking # or signature requirements. 12 days and nothing. They will cancel and issue me a new check (won't direct deposit) but I can pay $25 and they will overnight it. However it will take X days for them to do it. This is the worst co I have ever dealt with in my 30+years of working in the life ins industry. I wonder if my beneficiary will get the small face amount!!

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Jacqueline. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We are sorry to hear about your poor customer experience. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I've had this insurance for a few years. Each year the premium increases. This year the increase is 30%. The so called customer service (the customer is NEVER right) says it's because I'm 4 years older and the amount of claims in my state. My age did not increase by 30% nor have my claims increased by 30%, in fact in the last year there have been few claims submitted. I thought Medicare costs were going down not being increased. They take advantage of older people.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Kate. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We understand your concerns with rate increases. While it’s not our desire to raise rates, we do our best to minimize rate increases unless they’re absolutely necessary. We’d like to listen if you’d like to talk with one of our customer care team about the specifics of your policy. You can reach us at 800-775-3000 or email your preferred contact number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I had this company for my children's life insurance since 1999 and as soon as my sons turned 24 and 25 years old there was an issue of them needing to pick a beneficiary and I paid their policies and I was their beneficiary. Never missed a payment for as long as they had their policies. Then the policy skyrocketed so they canceled it but don't go with this company. They are scammers and it's too many people with the same problems. No payout. Just taking people's hard earned money. Not worth it. Mrs. Tekkia **

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I have a Index Universal Life policy with Mutual of Omaha. The policy was sold to me as generally risk free and could cancel in the first three years. This is year 3. Life has happened and this product is no longer in my best interest. If I cancel today I get 1% of what I have paid back. Customer Service can not explain why the high fee except to say "This is the policy I purchased." There is no documentation that explains the high cancellation fee in the policy that I or Customer Service can find.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Stephen. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and would like to look into this further. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I received a letter from Mutual of Omaha that my life insurance was expiring in five days. I noticed the letter was dated one month prior to my receipt. So after 26 years of payments they were going to cancel me in five days. I called them and told them that, "I would pay now over the phone the amount required to avoid cancellation with a credit card." They told me it was too late. Send a wire transfer or get cancelled. I was taken by surprise at this response until I realized that this is how they would save 100K if I did not get this payment in on time, in 26 years always on time and now at 75 years old they saw the chance to escape their obligation.

It is a whole life policy sold to me by a friend and I did not know the cost of insurance increased and the interest rates dropping in effect exceeded the amount I have been paying. Their first response on the phone was, "I can take a payment on your credit card" followed by, "It's too late. I cannot get a payment screen on my computer, wire the money." When you get old the entire business world waits to pounce on you if given the slightest opportunity. It is the new American way. There is no way to avoid it! It's like walking through mine field and Mutual of Omaha has a lot of explosives ready for us seniors to step on! Right now I am headed to the bank to do a wire transfer and awaiting the next pitfall! Chuck ** Southbury CT.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance response

Hi, Chuck. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We take your concerns seriously and look forward to hearing how we can better serve you next time. Please email your name, phone number and the best time to reach you to customercare@mutualofomaha.com, and one of our customer care associates will be in touch.

Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance Company Information