MetLife Disability Insurance

MetLife Disability Insurance Reviews

About MetLife Disability Insurance

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States.

MetLife Disability Insurance Reviews

Stars Rating

• 4%
  • 0%
  • 1%
  • 0%
  • 95%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?
    Customer ServiceCoveragePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 15, 2024

I'm covered under my employer's benefits. I broke all 5 bones in my left foot and was unable to work. It took 4 weeks for MetLife to approve my short term disability claim. It was only approved for 6 weeks despite my Dr's information that recovery time would be over 2 months. I applied for an extension right after returning home from my 6 week followup. That was 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting on a reply. GrandMa was slow, but MetLife is like molasses in January. They show ABSOLUTELY NO urgency in anything they do.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed June 27, 2024

They are no help whatsoever. I have been out of work for 6 weeks and nothing at all denied 3 times for medical records. Faxed 2 times, emailed once. I uploaded them myself and still nothing. All they care about is getting their payment of $65 a week

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed June 25, 2024

I needed a 12 month leave for mental health issues that my doctor deemed medically necessary. I was granted the first 6 weeks without issue. I was denied my extension for the full 12 weeks with the message that there wasn't enough info on why I needed it. My psychiatrist was visibly irate and mentioned that she hadn't seen this happen before. My psychologist penned the appeal and made it very clear that the extension was medically necessary and my appeal was denied with the message again, that there wasn't enough information.

There is no clarification on what information is needed. My claims specialist, Alysa, is impossible to get ahold of and unresponsive. I would highly recommend employers not purchase MetLife Disability and am providing this feedback to our PeopleOps team so that they can investigate other solutions. I am disgusted to read the other reviews here. MetLife is clearly giving sick people the runaround to make a buck. This is reprehensible.

Reviewed June 19, 2024

You keep getting the runaround for your claim. They either "don't have the information" even though it was sent in or they tell you there's nothing else you need to do for several weeks then they turn around and tell you that they do need more paperwork. The case manager doesn't return your calls, and that further delays. This is messing with peoples' ability to pay their bills when they are sick or injured. The customer service needs to be better. It's almost as though they don't want to pay people, and that's not okay!!!

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed June 3, 2024

I obtained this sham of an insurance via my employer. I am. first responder in New York City. I purchased the most expensive package in efforts to keep up with my bills if I ever fall ill or injure myself. Imagine my surprise when I do injure my back and need to collect on my disability policy, and I'm told that I do not have coverage! Turns out it was a coding issue on their end. By the time I got paid I had been out of work for nearly three months. This company totally relies upon you to do their clerical work despite making you sign HIPAA release forms to access your medical records. Apparently that’s not enough! You have to hunt your doctor down to obtain a final graduate school thesis entitled “why this person deserves to collect their benefits”. I am utterly disgusted with my experience.

I would give this company zero stars if I could. I will be warning every single employee of my agency to steer clear and not admitting agents into my station to sell this product. My claims adjuster LIES and claimed that she tried to call my phone. My communication preferences clearly indicate “email” as a preferred method. Also, she claims she called and could not leave a message. Yet, everyone else can. I tried canceling my policy and they lied and said I cannot do that as well. They are dishonest, and unethical. Do yourself a favor and head over to AFLAC or a similar company.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed May 31, 2024

They are the worst when it comes to evaluating claims. They prolong the process knowing all along they are going to deny the claim. Their clinical review specialist and case managers definitely need more training on understanding how to process and rate disability claims. HORRIBLE!!!!

Reviewed May 28, 2024

Where do I even start. Dealing with MetLife goes beyond frustrating and infuriating. After countless weekly calls to check on my short term disability claim...over the course of 2 months: I was told on different occasions that 1) my claim was never filed, 2) my claim ppwk was sent to the wrong address, 3) my 2nd request for claim ppwk never came, 4) I was told claim ppwk was sent to my dr and that was not true, 5) other various lies told to me by a number of different reps (they're all so nice, but every time another lie). This company absolutely needs to be investigated. How they're still in business is beyond my scope of understanding.

Kerri

Agree. It’s a nightmare!

Reviewed May 25, 2024

I was approved for short-term disability for a major neurological condition. Then my neurologist suggested going on long-term disability, which MetLife DENIED because I had a pre-existing condition. Awful insurance company to work with and customer service is terrible. Parameds is AWFUL AS WELL.

Reviewed May 24, 2024

I've just read all the comments and I am wondering how and why this have gone well for me. I've had unsustainable pain at the hip that lead to a hip replacement decision. The pain was so high that I could not work. I've MetLife Disability Insurance through my Employer. So I've filed a STD claim through Metlife website on April 26th, the surgery is scheduled on May 9th. I am supposed to be out of work for 6 weeks, including pre and post surgery. I monitored the website and it was showing that the decision was pending documentations, so I called Metlife and got a very proactive woman who told me the forms where faxed to my doctor, and she immediately sent a copy of these forms to my email box.

I had no experience of all these forms and the rules and so on. I struggled a little bit to understand about both FMLA documentation on one side, and medical STD documentations on the other side. The doctor had to complete both forms, one to have my job secured and the other to go through the decision for my disability. Once I got the documentation completed from the doctor, around May 6th, I took care to scan everything and send that to Metlife by email. Then I went through the surgery, and returned home on May 10th. I immediately called Metlife to know the status of my claim.

I got a very nice and helpful case manager who told me this was ok, and accepted, and payments will start from day 8 and will be managed through my Employer as usual biweekly paychecks, MetLife would pay directly my Employer, who would take in charge the money recovery from Metlife. As of today, I have received my biweekly first paycheck, supposed to include one week of STD, without any concern. Is that easier due to this process? I don't know, I will get this review updated if I has some coming concerns. My experience as of today is so very fluid for everything concerning Metlife. I place this review so to give hope to some that are going through health issues. Sometimes, it seems that things can go well. As of today.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed May 3, 2024

I filed my claim in January, well before my medical procedure. I waited for some sort of confirmation from Metlife, I was also working with my HR representative, as we had just changed to Metlife in December. We tried reaching out with no satisfaction. My surgery came and went. Still nothing. Not even a claim number was sent. I resubmitted the paperwork in March. I received a letter at that time stating that my claim had been filed twice, one claim was being canceled and that I would receive a decision within 10 business days. So, they received my paperwork in January. They just chose not to respond. They denied my claim, stating that because I had an initial meeting with the doctor in October to establish myself as a patient, the condition was preexisting.

If I had known that, as I should have before my procedure due to filing early, I may have made alternative arrangements for my time away from work. It's also garbage that an visit to establish care is considered treatment of a disability. I appealed, naturally. I received zero response to my appeal and subsequent emails. I phoned yesterday. Let's see if they call back. Absolutely horrible communication from this company. I am really frustrated with my employer for offering us such crap insurance when we had great coverage from someone else. Do not pay for this insurance. Go private pay if your company offers this joke of a company to you.

MetLife author review by Matthew Brodsky

MetLife is a well-known insurance company that has become famous for its commercials using characters from the "Peanuts" comic strip. It offers a variety of insurances, including disability insurance.

• Offers real life stories on its website: Users can watch videos featuring people who became disabled so that they can learn more about disability insurance.

• FAQ and tips online: MetLife offers a FAQ section and tips for dealing with disability insurance on its website.

• Offers individual supplements: Consumers can purchase the exact insurance they need rather than depending on an employer-offered insurance plan.

• Offers both short- and long-term insurance: People who are disabled for a long period of time don't have to worry about their benefits running out.

• Online calculator helps people figure out their insurance needs: MetLife's online calculator predicts how much insurance people will need if they become disabled for various periods of time.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor