MetLife Disability Insurance

MetLife Disability Insurance

4.1/5 (652 ratings)

About MetLife Disability Insurance

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States.

MetLife Disability Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife Disability Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: March 26, 2021

If you are a customer of MetLife and have any of their auto and home products then this is the company for you. I have had an auto policy and renters through them for 4 years and they have always been awesome when it comes to filing claims and needing assistance. If you have been lucky like me to also have MetLife Disability thru your employer as I do, keep reading.

MetLife Disability is THE WORST!!! Trying to file a claim and keeping the claim consistent has been a nightmare. You have to jump thru hoops to file a claim then more hoops getting it approved. I filed my claim on 12/18/2020 as I was in an accident on 12/12/2020. The accident caused injuries that I would not be able to do my job (I have a very physical job) and had just gotten approved for FMLA thru my employer. I was able to get approved for STD from 12/29/20-1/24/20, however I had to submit MORE paperwork to keep my claim going (???? Why?). So I tried to get the all the necessary paperwork needed and I did, but uh-oh, MetLife denied it (supposedly I missed the deadline - how hard is it to extend it?).

I decided to email the President of MetLife and what do you know! The claim was opened and I was approved for another Disability payment from 02/10-03/15, however I am still on FMLA until 04/12. I have called MetLife repeatedly and they REALLY,REALLY like to let everything go to Voicemail and having them get back to you is like pulling teeth. I had not received a Disability payment this week and called Case Manager Faye ** who, luckily called me back as in my last voicemail I advised her I would be notifying my lawyer regarding this debacle. Ms. ** blatantly chastised me and tried to blame me for them dropping the ball. Every question she had I was able to give her the information requested. By the end of the call they have extended my claim, but why extend it when I am still injured and still not able to work. Find another company to get Disability thru should you ever become disabled, MetLife is not it for this part.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I submitted a claim on 11/15/20 and as of today - 1/15/21 - it still has not been resolved. I sent emails, made phone calls, and no one answers. I had Covid and was off of work for a month and trying to get short term disability - which is only 60% of my regular pay. I went over a month with no income and with the lack of communication with MetLife, I have no idea when I will receive my disability payment. I have never dealt with a company with this poor of communication and I am very, very disappointed and would certainly never recommend this company.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

This all started in November. They said they sent my check out in mail on the 10th of November. I called them on November 20. To let them know I did not receive it. They told me I have wait 10 working day. So I did. I called them back 23 and 24 of November. They said they Stop paying on the check. Issue me a new one. I spoke multiple people in even managers. They told it would Take 7 to 10 days before I would get it in the mail. I said ok. I never received it. Called Several times. I spoke to manager. She said they would overnight to me. So got my November payment 19th December.

Now I'm still waiting on my December payment that was issued on 10th. I have call several times and they was supposed to stop payment on the check. I active my Direct deposit Saturday. I was told it was in limbo or it being canceled. It been 4 days. It December 31. I got letter today say they need my doctor to reviews some paper.. The letter was date December 23 and mail on 28. Today is 31 of December. The paper must be received by January 4 2021. Doctor office closed due to holiday. So that gives me one day to get the paper back. I have talked to them multiple times and no one said a thing about any paper for my doctor office.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

My claim was submitted at the first of October. All information requested was provided. Multiple follow up calls and placing blame on failure of MD to respond. Terrible service, constant run around. It seems that their goal is to NOT PAY THE CLAIM.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

Updated on 11/27/2020: After talking to a manager who told me everything was handled a week ago. Friday is here and again no direct deposit. Day after Thanksgiving and Metlife is closed until Monday. No support and no money. Metlife has been a nightmare to deal with.

Original review: I have made about 5 calls today trying to reach the manager who I have been working with. A week ago she told me all I needed to do was call and use her extension to reach her. Their automated system won't let me enter it and keeps sending me to phone reps who argue and refuse to let me speak to the manager. The manager I spoke to sent me a check via Fedex last week which I received and said she was putting my direct deposit back into effect and now I have been told I have another deposit coming this Friday. However for some reason I got a check in the mail yesterday. I am afraid to cash it because I don't want to mess up my claim.

In addition, I also received a letter from Metlife wanting details of my doctor visits. The manager said she was also sending that request directly to the doctor and there wasn't anything further I needed to do. I got a call from my doctor who said he received the request the same day and he sent the information to Metlife. Well I am trying to do my part to make sure everything is in order and the more people at Metlife I get involved the worse it is handled. So far after 5 or 6 calls to Metlife I haven't gotten anything done. The last rep told me to wait for a phone call from the manager sometime around 3pm today. I don't feel it is right for me to have to sit and wait for a manager to call me and repeat my problem a 7th or 8th time. I work in a call center myself for an insurance company and I would have treated a client this way I would have been written up or worse.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

I was told by my headquarters from My job after two weeks of not hearing back from them that my short term disability case for a broken ankle was denied by MetLife. I have been working for this company for almost 34 yrs. and this is the Thanks I get, I also pay for long term disability with Met-Life and have only utilize once in 1994, I have not received anything in writing regarding the denial as of yet, very poor ethics, these systems are failing us, I hope there is a class action lawsuit based on the many complaints for Met-Life.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

I was denied disability insurance after having 2 strokes and a brain tumor (which remains), They kept asking for the same items over and over again. They were sent copies of MRI's CAT scans, letters from multiple doctors advising them I could not work. Claim denied!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

I filed a claim for STD benefits with MetLife on August 6, 2020. I have been given various lies from customer service representatives as well as the case manager assigned to my claim. I’ve left several voicemails and nobody contacts you back at all. Now they have completely taken down the STD and LTD benefits certificate off the website where you can view your status, Do not believe anything this company tells you, I am not obtaining an attorney to represent me because this is horrible business!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

9 weeks since I had a stroke and still no check. I’ve been told varying amounts of a check that’s in the mail for 5 weeks now. Yesterday I was told one would be overnighted via Fedex. No surprise - no check. Called and they could not provide the Fedex tracking number. Essentially proving they lied yet again. 2:00 on a Friday and no manager of any department could be reached. DO NOT DEPEND ON THIS COMPANY FOR AN INCOME WHILE INJURED!

Original review: July 22, 2020

I was on disability since 12-20-2019. At first short term disability took care of me and done a good job but after 3 months it was over. I was then told I didn't have long term disability. So I called my employer and confirmed I did. Now Met Life hasn't paid in over 4 months saying the Dr didn't send papers but they did. My employer has. 1 day they say I will be paid. Next day another excuse. Been doing everything. I have voicemails mails saying I will get paid and they will call but never happens. Next day new excuse. Never deal with this company.

MetLife author review by Matthew Brodsky

MetLife is a well-known insurance company that has become famous for its commercials using characters from the "Peanuts" comic strip. It offers a variety of insurances, including disability insurance.

• Offers real life stories on its website: Users can watch videos featuring people who became disabled so that they can learn more about disability insurance.

• FAQ and tips online: MetLife offers a FAQ section and tips for dealing with disability insurance on its website.

• Offers individual supplements: Consumers can purchase the exact insurance they need rather than depending on an employer-offered insurance plan.

• Offers both short- and long-term insurance: People who are disabled for a long period of time don't have to worry about their benefits running out.

• Online calculator helps people figure out their insurance needs: MetLife's online calculator predicts how much insurance people will need if they become disabled for various periods of time.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor