MetLife Disability Insurance

MetLife Disability Insurance

4.0/5 (856 ratings)

About MetLife Disability Insurance

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States.

MetLife Disability Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife Disability Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: May 19, 2022

I was off work 4 months and had to use my short term disability. They closed my case 4 days before I returned to work and continue to give me the runaround, they also made errors on my case and my case manager doesn't call me back. I hope I never have to use this company again.

Original review: April 10, 2022

My experience dealing with Alysa ** Claims Specialist ** was terrible. She contacted me 2 years after my son drowned and informed me I was the beneficiary to 3 checks totaling $1,000 that my late son had not cashed. I gave her the proper info to get the checks out and told her they would help since my wife is dying from cancer.

After waiting 2 months I was contacted that they had to stop payment on the original checks that were issued 2 years earlier to my son. Finally after 6 months I received a check, but it was only for $336 dollars. I deposited it 5 days ago and contacted Alyssa ** about the mistake and how I had only gottten 1/3 of the dollar amount owed to me!

Then my bank contacted me and said Metlife stopped payment. Probably because I told Alysa ** the world needs to know how unprofessional she is and how Metlife wants your business until it is time for them to do their job and pay the people who banked on the security of a insurance policy for hard times! There are plenty of out of work hardworking Americans more qualified than Alysa ** and the others I dealt with over six months only to receive a check for $336 Which BOUNCED!! I am not surprised and anyone expecting a payout on a policy I'm sorry, but your money would have been better spent on Lottery tickets.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2022

This is in regards to MetLife FMLA. When you call the number listed on their website it is disconnected! Really??? How are people supposed to call you in time of need? A business of this size...and you can't speak to them in person? F- HORRIBLE COMPANY!

Original review: March 27, 2022

I’ve had continuous short term disability insurance for 19 years. As a single mom, I never wanted to get caught in a financial jam due to a short term disability. The first time I file and boy, what a hassle. I filed my first ever claim March 2 and was told it would take up to 10 days. It’s been over 20. My employer recently switched to MetLife from another well known company. I have a suspicion that other company is more efficient.

The first time I needed to use short term disability insurance and all I’ve gotten was the runaround from MetLife. Unnecessary delays from their careless omissions or failure to communicate.. They contacted my doctor wanting more information, but they delayed the process by listing the wrong dates and procedure. It’s just been one thing after another. I’ve spent so much time orchestrating the thing, MetLife is exhausting when customers need their excellent execution in a timely manner,. The recommendation is for employers to choose another company with a higher standard of service and care. The response time is despicable.

Original review: March 11, 2022

By far the worst experience ever! I have gone without pay from them going on 1 month and have a newborn child I’ve been trying to provide for and it’s getting really hard. No sympathy just the payments have been mailed out! Very uneducated employees that provide different answers/information. When I first filed my claim natural birth is 6 weeks and somehow I only am getting 4 weeks. The guy handling my claim provides false information and his Manager refuses to call back with 4 voicemails I’ve left her. Again, by far the worst experience with these people and pray I never have to deal with them again. By time my issues are resolved I’ll have returned back to work and all of this stress/postpartum depression will have been for nothing.

Original review: March 7, 2022

I tested positive for covid and was told by employer to submit a claim to MetLife for short term disability. I did and for 3 weeks straight I called them to find out if they had reached a decision. Most of the time they would ask "just one more question". I submitted test results and the doctor’s notes. Another co worker also tested positive and was approved the same week. So after a month I was told that I was denied. Another co worker told me that she was out of work for surgery for 8 weeks and got a check to 10th week for the 1st time!!! What do they do at MetLife? It sure isn’t their job! MetLife is a big waste of money and time!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

They closed my claim before the dr. released me, then a month after submitting all the paperwork for an extension I'm still trying to get my calls returned!!! They just keep taking messages and escalating it to their supervisor!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

I was diagnosed with cancer and am undergoing chemo and radiation. A claim was filed for 2 months to get through this extensive Mon-Fri treatment regimen. Extensive medical records and information from the oncologists were sent. The short term disability claim turnaround time passed...no contact. I call every day for updates. I was told they are busy due to Covid; that has NOTHING to do with my cancer claim. I was told everything would be tied up and processed.

Called today, they said..."oh, I don't see where you are covered." They said they would have to verify with my HR, after waiting and waiting and being told it was going to be processed. HR verified I am covered and have been and told me that MetLife needs to update the files they are sent every week, because I am and have been covered. It's just a continual runaround from them. Here I sit with cancer, and they add nothing but stress to my life. I have worked over 45 years and never filed for anything and worked all the way up to the minute I couldn't anymore, and this is what MetLife does to me. I cry every day because I am without work and without pay. They are Horrendous.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

Was diagnosed with breast cancer in October. Went out on disability in November. I was told I'd have to have another letter sent to MetLife that I was still in doctor's care in January 7th, which one of the nurses did and MetLife drop the ball and never fix paperwork over. Now it's been 2 weeks and no check, nobody sent me a letter or called to say that I wasn't receiving checks. I'm going through chemo right now, I shouldn't have to be dealing with all of this mess, MetLife drop the ball and never faxed over any of the paperwork to my doctor. I called today and they said by the end of the day.

This is so wrong. They should be on top of stuff like this. It shouldn't be the end of the day. They should be faxing that right over so this could be taken care of right away. I tried to call the girl who was assigned to me and she is no longer there. You keep getting different people. Nobody knows what's going on. It's ridiculous. I'm fighting for my life. Now I have to fight to get checks so I can support myself.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

They are unresponsive, provide np updates, their website is useless because it shows nothing. Customer service claims they can’t get a hold of the assigned agent whose phone doesn’t evening ring. They try to reach the supervisors, nothing. It’s very frustrating to deal with them. I’d never get this through any company again. They are trash!

MetLife author review by Matthew Brodsky

MetLife is a well-known insurance company that has become famous for its commercials using characters from the "Peanuts" comic strip. It offers a variety of insurances, including disability insurance.

• Offers real life stories on its website: Users can watch videos featuring people who became disabled so that they can learn more about disability insurance.

• FAQ and tips online: MetLife offers a FAQ section and tips for dealing with disability insurance on its website.

• Offers individual supplements: Consumers can purchase the exact insurance they need rather than depending on an employer-offered insurance plan.

• Offers both short- and long-term insurance: People who are disabled for a long period of time don't have to worry about their benefits running out.

• Online calculator helps people figure out their insurance needs: MetLife's online calculator predicts how much insurance people will need if they become disabled for various periods of time.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor