MetLife Disability Insurance

MetLife Disability Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.97/5

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States.

MetLife Disability Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife Disability Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

Updated on 11/27/2020: After talking to a manager who told me everything was handled a week ago. Friday is here and again no direct deposit. Day after Thanksgiving and Metlife is closed until Monday. No support and no money. Metlife has been a nightmare to deal with.

Original review: I have made about 5 calls today trying to reach the manager who I have been working with. A week ago she told me all I needed to do was call and use her extension to reach her. Their automated system won't let me enter it and keeps sending me to phone reps who argue and refuse to let me speak to the manager. The manager I spoke to sent me a check via Fedex last week which I received and said she was putting my direct deposit back into effect and now I have been told I have another deposit coming this Friday. However for some reason I got a check in the mail yesterday. I am afraid to cash it because I don't want to mess up my claim.

In addition, I also received a letter from Metlife wanting details of my doctor visits. The manager said she was also sending that request directly to the doctor and there wasn't anything further I needed to do. I got a call from my doctor who said he received the request the same day and he sent the information to Metlife. Well I am trying to do my part to make sure everything is in order and the more people at Metlife I get involved the worse it is handled. So far after 5 or 6 calls to Metlife I haven't gotten anything done. The last rep told me to wait for a phone call from the manager sometime around 3pm today. I don't feel it is right for me to have to sit and wait for a manager to call me and repeat my problem a 7th or 8th time. I work in a call center myself for an insurance company and I would have treated a client this way I would have been written up or worse.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

I was told by my headquarters from My job after two weeks of not hearing back from them that my short term disability case for a broken ankle was denied by MetLife. I have been working for this company for almost 34 yrs. and this is the Thanks I get, I also pay for long term disability with Met-Life and have only utilize once in 1994, I have not received anything in writing regarding the denial as of yet, very poor ethics, these systems are failing us, I hope there is a class action lawsuit based on the many complaints for Met-Life.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

I was denied disability insurance after having 2 strokes and a brain tumor (which remains), They kept asking for the same items over and over again. They were sent copies of MRI's CAT scans, letters from multiple doctors advising them I could not work. Claim denied!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

I filed a claim for STD benefits with MetLife on August 6, 2020. I have been given various lies from customer service representatives as well as the case manager assigned to my claim. I’ve left several voicemails and nobody contacts you back at all. Now they have completely taken down the STD and LTD benefits certificate off the website where you can view your status, Do not believe anything this company tells you, I am not obtaining an attorney to represent me because this is horrible business!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

9 weeks since I had a stroke and still no check. I’ve been told varying amounts of a check that’s in the mail for 5 weeks now. Yesterday I was told one would be overnighted via Fedex. No surprise - no check. Called and they could not provide the Fedex tracking number. Essentially proving they lied yet again. 2:00 on a Friday and no manager of any department could be reached. DO NOT DEPEND ON THIS COMPANY FOR AN INCOME WHILE INJURED!

Original review: July 22, 2020

I was on disability since 12-20-2019. At first short term disability took care of me and done a good job but after 3 months it was over. I was then told I didn't have long term disability. So I called my employer and confirmed I did. Now Met Life hasn't paid in over 4 months saying the Dr didn't send papers but they did. My employer has. 1 day they say I will be paid. Next day another excuse. Been doing everything. I have voicemails mails saying I will get paid and they will call but never happens. Next day new excuse. Never deal with this company.

Original review: July 13, 2020

In January 2020 I became unable to work. I went on STD through MetLife and though there were problems, it was nothing compared to what I'm dealing with trying to get LTD. First, they make you and your providers resubmit everything because switching from STD to LTD is considered a new claim, even if it's for the same issue. My doctors were not happy about that.

In April my LTD case manager called to interview me and told me she needs my provider's fax#. No problem. I got the number and called back and left a VM on the case manager's phone with the information, that same day. I assumed everything was in motion during the month of May. Then she called me at the beginning of June, saying she still needed that info. I was furious. She said she didn't get the message. Bull! She wasted the entire month of May doing nothing on my case.

They have called and harassed my doctors to the point where my PCP will no longer help me with my disability stuff. They have called and questioned what my providers told them, and continuously ask for more data, when they have everything. They insist on me having ongoing appointments with providers - when I have not received any pay for over 3 months and can't even come up with my office visit copays. Now here we are, mid-July and I still do not have an answer on my case. I am at real risk of losing my car AND my home because these jerks have been screwing me around since April. I will be getting my lawyer involved this week. I have had enough.

Original review: June 14, 2020

I have a Short Term Disability and Accident Injury policy with Met Life. First, I had an injury requiring shoulder surgery. I submitted a claim to my Accident Injury policy. I submitted all required documents including case notes from Dr., operative reports. My claim is denied stating not an Injury but sickness. My surgeon wrote a letter explaining a torn rotator cuff was caused during an accident. They state notes from doctor are not acceptable proof. Lol Who would know better than the surgeon? They denied my appeal as well. I had to threaten legal action and they suddenly paid my benefits.

My whole 6 weeks of recovery was spent fighting with them. Very Sad! So then there is Short Term Disability. I’m notified after I submit my claim that I had an over payment of one week from a claim 2 yrs ago. When asked when they notified me of this over payment they said they didn’t. So instead of two weeks of no benefits I had to wait three because of the over payment. So now I’ve returned to work part time and my policy states “I may be paid up to 100% of my pre disability pay when combining my Disability policy and part time hours. Well they sent me a check for $118.00 for 34 hours.

When I inquired as to why the check was short $330.00 I get the run around. My claims rep suggested I speak to her supervisor. I spoke with her supervisor on a Friday he said he wasn’t familiar with my policy and could I give him until Tuesday to get back to me. I got no call from him for 9 days and that’s only after I contacted his manager (who never once called me back). The supervisor asked me to send him a copy of my policy, Really? So I did he then he stated he would need a couple of days to review my benefits and I would hear from him by Friday. No call even after calling him numerous times. Go with Aflac because MetLife is not here for us. Buyer Beware!

Original review: May 1, 2020

I am on FMLA for a serious medical condition that I submitted a claim for at the beginning of Feb. My work has it set up not to kick in until 4 weeks since last day worked. They had over a month to get the information together but did nothing. I called and it turned out someone was supposed to have called me To do a questionnaire but didn’t. Weeks go by and nothing. I call and they tell me that the doctor office isn’t allowing information to be shared because MetLife FORGOT to have me sign a release. Shortly after that the dr office called and asked for verbal authorization and I gave it. The Dr office sent the requested information. I have now been out of work 6 weeks.

I call the following week and MetLife tells me they never got it and the dr office won’t send it. They email me the ROI. I sign it and return it immediately. 2 more weeks go by making it 9 weeks out of work. I call and they say they want medical plan. I give them the information of all the specialists I have consulted for treatment. Around April 18 I received money for March 6-18. I call wondering why I only received 2 weeks' worth instead of a month's worth. Turns out they need more information to approve beyond March 18th but they only told me a month after the approved time. I tell the individual that I have no money coming in and soon my health insurance will stop. She says she will call the Dr.

I call the dr and ask them to send more information. The dr sends more information. I call April 24th furious that nothing has been done yet and she insisted that she hasn’t received any information at all from the dr. And is closing my case until she does. She says she will call the dr. I get a notification April 28th that they have received documents. It has been almost 2 months since I qualified for short term disability and they have called me ONCE! I call and call and they have nothing. The doctor office has documented proof that they sent the requested information that MetLife swears they never received.

I’m out of money and have to pay for everything on credit except that won’t cover rent. I have 2 kids whose health insurance I pay for and I don’t qualify for any support from the state because technically I’m employed. If I lose my insurance I can’t continue to get the desperately needed medical attention I need to get back to work but MetLife doesn’t care about me or my kids. They just don’t want to pay. They are truly the worst company I have ever had to deal with and I’m horrified. DO NOT use them if you can help it. They will watch your life fall apart and lie about information sent to them. I’m appalled that they stay in business at all.

Original review: April 15, 2020

My Husband collapse on 2/2. We were told that he had no pulse and was unresponsive for at least 2-3 minutes. Next of kin contacted MetLife. Provided necessary information. Because he was only employed for 9 months they went back an additional 3 months. Because he had 2 appointments with his Doctors and they asked him about his health and about his heart MetLife considered this as him having an issue with his heart. He did not. It was a simple visit to make sure he could have another surgery. They have deemed this to be pre-existing.

I have repeatedly told them that the emts brought him back and that he had extensive oxygen loss to the brain. But they continue to say it was a heart issue. I will continue to appeal this until hell freezes over. They are assuming it was his heart. They will not look at the Brain issues. Don't pay for this insurance. It is a total rip off. I will be contacting the Attorney General and what ever news sites will look into it. Deceptive!!!

MetLife author review by Matthew Brodsky

MetLife is a well-known insurance company that has become famous for its commercials using characters from the "Peanuts" comic strip. It offers a variety of insurances, including disability insurance.

• Offers real life stories on its website: Users can watch videos featuring people who became disabled so that they can learn more about disability insurance.

• FAQ and tips online: MetLife offers a FAQ section and tips for dealing with disability insurance on its website.

• Offers individual supplements: Consumers can purchase the exact insurance they need rather than depending on an employer-offered insurance plan.

• Offers both short- and long-term insurance: People who are disabled for a long period of time don't have to worry about their benefits running out.

• Online calculator helps people figure out their insurance needs: MetLife's online calculator predicts how much insurance people will need if they become disabled for various periods of time.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor