1.23/5
Based on 189 reviews that contain star ratings

MetLife Disability Insurance

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

287 MetLife Disability Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I hate to even write this but MetLife was horrible in general to deal with at least from my experience. I would like to have been able to outweigh the good with the bad but no such luck. I did have communication with a few good people mostly the call center though. My claim agent was horrible, never communicated what was needed or fax my doctors for it. I was put on a suspension at one point because they didn’t fax the paperwork, then after I spoke to a supervisor they approved it because it wasn’t my fault but only approved it to current day. Which then meant I wasn’t getting a check the following week. Due to the fax time and 7 day window to review the paperwork I wouldn’t receive a check for at least two weeks.

If this was just one situation I could have lived but it was the same way the whole four months I was out of work on medical leave. To this day, which is six months later they still owe me money but I can’t be bothered with contacting them any longer regarding it. Even my employer, which is where I get the short-term disability insurance through, tried contacting them. My providers wanted nothing to do with the by the end of my four month medical leave and neither did I.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

In late July I was injured in an accident that required cervical spine surgery. I have not been able to work since. After reading dozens of negative reviews from people who've had bad experiences with MetLife, I became very discouraged. There are lots of stories here from people who never got paid, or who've been fighting with the company for months. I was sure I was headed down the same path, destined to become another "victim" who'll never receive any of the short term disability payments I'm entitled to, even though I've been paying for an STD plan with MetLife for over ten years! But, much to my surprise, I DID received benefits. Sure, it took a few days for the claim to be processed. But once a determination was made, I had a check in hand within three days.

To all the people who've had bad experiences with this company, I am sincerely sorry. But, like me, I have no doubt there are other clients who've had positive experiences. The simple truth is, THOSE people never take the time to write a review. Only the angry ones do. Occasionally, we should all acknowledge when something goes right!

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I'm unable to go into great detail due to most recently obtaining legal council. Diagnosed with Hereditary Coproporphyria in March of 2007, disabled March of 2018. STD barely approved, ended June 27th 2018. Filed for LTD, claim denied, due to lack of information and that my rare disease does not cause what my September 10th 2018. My Dr. that specializes with my type of illness has written several letters, verified with several clinical results that this disease is Acute, progressive and disabling.

MetLife has their own physicians that decide if you're disabled or not. In my case a clinical physiologist determined my outcome. First of all this is not the proper Dr. to determine my illness and disability, therefore a denied claim. MetLife should at least use proper professionals Doctors that study in the correct field. My first check for LTD was supposed to be on July 27th. Eventually we are going to faced with losing our home and everything else. I've read all of these reviews about people like myself that are truly sick, and facing many of the same issues that I'm currently facing. A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT SHOULD BE TAKEN INTO SERIOUS CONSIDERATION!!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

MetLife approved my disability claim through 2027. Each year or so I am asked to send in the proof I am unable to work. March of 2018 I had a reconstructive foot surgery which required me to be wheelchair bound for 2 months and then to a walker. MetLife canceled my claim. I have not received a payment since March and it is now September. With each call I either get someone I can't understand who wants me to do their work. A doctor's office will not send MetLife information at my request. When I told a claims adjuster this and advised she must send in a request for my information, she advised me that it was my responsibility. I am struggling severely because of their lack of concern and refusal to pay my benefits. You can never speak with the same person twice and tell you a new lie every time.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I took out the MetLife STD/LTD DISABILITY via my employer the very first time I became eligible for benefits, which was after 90 days of employment. Little did I know at the time but this was one of the best decisions I could have made. I developed a neuro condition less than 3 months later and after a visit to my Primary care physician, then the ER and finally to a neurologist, they all who agreed on the diagnosis. While it certainly was not a common condition, it could have been a lot worse.

Anyway, armed with all these medical records, which even included an MRI, NCV and EMG, I applied for and was immediately accepted for STD. One of the most important things to do is to follow your Dr's recommendations, in my case it was PT, but even more importantly was that I would personally get copies of my latest records on each and every visit and I would personally send them into MetLife myself. I ALWAYS NOTED my case number on each page and initially always faxed them in but eventually started scanning and then emailing them to MetLife's records department, again always writing my case number on every page.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to send in your records as often as possible, but now you'll also have copies (including hardcopies, a scanned copy on a USB drive but also a copy of the email you sent). Just be sure to stay organized and see the Dr as directed and keep sending those records after each and every visit. This is something that you need to do and not leave it up to your Dr's office to do, plus you'll want to have those copies. Metlife will eventually send you a records release which would give them access to your records but it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to send them to MetLife.

Next, expect to be required to apply for SSDI. They are tough but ND will most likely deny your initial claim, deny the appeal and send you to in front of an administrative law judge. This process can take up to two years and there are plenty of lawyers more than happy to assist you. SSDI really tries to make you give up. But keep in mind, if you are approved for SSDI, the money you may get will be just less than MetLife will give you. So it won't benefit you in regards to money but you may get Medicaid and even a food benefit.

Now, MetLife has teams of nurses and Drs who will be reviewing everything you send them to make sure you meet the requirements to be considered disabled. They will also periodically send you questionnaires which you need to fill out and return to them by the due date. Make sure you send these in also to continue to receive your benefits. If you are still considered disabled after, six months, you will be converted to LTD. You will start getting paid once a month instead of weekly.

At this point, I would request a copy of your employee handbook which contains your disability information. You should get the HB from the year that you initially went out on disability. Metlife will NOT provide you with the handbook but rather it will come from the company you worked for when you went out on disability. They are required by ERISA law to provide you these documents within 60 days of the receipt of your letter. If they don't send them, they can be fined $110/day for every day over 30.

Once on LTD, you will remain on it for up to 24 months, assuming you remain disabled. This is things get interesting. First off, if you were out on disability due to a mental condition, your LTD benefits will end at the 24 month mark as that's the max they will pay for that type of condition. 24 months is also the time your policy language and definition of being disabled. It's at this time that the definition changes from you being able to do "your own occupation" to "any occupation". So let's say you were a plumber making 100k/yr when you went on disability, no longer do they need to assist you in finding another plumbers job but they now only need to find you "any occupation" making approx 60-70% of what you made before. Let's say you've been a plumber your whole life and that's all you know.

Well at around 18 months you will be contacted by a MetLife vocational expert who will work on retraining you to do something else making approx 60-70% of what you made as a plumber. Retraining is typically a requirement to continue to receive benefits and it will be outlined in the disability benefit section of the employee handbook I told you to request earlier. So basically, 24 months is the pretty much when your LTD benefits will come to an end. However, if you are still considered disabled this is when MetLife will really start doing all they can from sending you to evaluated by one of their Drs who typically report back that you can in fact work in some capacity, to just flat out denying you and end you benefits for any reason they want. According to the Erisa law which recently changed, you are entitled to two appeals and lastly you can file a lawsuit against MetLife.

I highly recommend that as soon as MetLife sends you the denial letter that you hire yourself an Atty to file the appeals and lawsuit if needed. MetLife is a huge, monster of a company and is counting on you giving up at this point. But if you truly have a serious condition that is expected to last at least a year or result in death, I'd would not give up. Get a good lawyer and fight till the end. Good luck to everyone. Never take your health for advantage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I been paying my MetLife for about 19 years from my job. So on 8/26/2017 I was unable to work. I was admitted to the hospital. I have to have surgery on my foot so I had to file for STD. Got approve so after STD was up I had to file for LTD because due to my injury doctor said I couldn't do my job at work. My job don't do light duty and my specialist told them in May that I was disable. My job told me they had to let me go but here's the kicker. MetLife approve my LTD for two years in May. After one month they sent me a letter saying my case was under review.

They denied my claim after their independent doctor saying that I can do my old job now. Taking MetLife acknowledge that I was disable in May but remember my job let me go in May because I was unable to go back to work. My specialist sent in all my information and a handwritten note stated I can't do the same job now. They giving bunch of bull crap about my claim now. It's rough on me now because thinking about commit ** because I can't work. My bills is piling up. I have no insurance now. Don't mess with METLIFE. This may be my last review. May GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Worst company ever. I had a leave set up to care for my mom while she was going through chemo. It took 12 calls and the doctor faxing the same documents 4 times to them in order to get the leave approved. I missed my mom's first chemo treatment because of it. Recently, I was out for my own leave. My doctor filled out the form stating I needed to be out for 6 weeks. I was denied because my doctor didn't put on the form the diagnosis and the non-OTC medications I was prescribed yet nowhere on the form did it ask for those things.

My doctor then faxed in nearly 30 pages of information containing notes from my doctor, specialists, physical therapists, and multiple MRI results showing the horrible health issue I've been dealing with and they still denied my claim. I plan on submitting as many formal complaints about the company as I can, letting my employer know they need to switch the company that handles our leaves, and appealing the decision. How do you determine that I should be at work when my DOCTOR says I shouldn't and has pages upon pages showing what I've been through??

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Same issues as everyone else, you pay for a benefit that will pay you in the case of a medical hardship, only to not receive the benefit when you need it. I recently had shoulder surgery for a torn labrum that required a 12 week recovery. MetLife closed my claim twice during this time within 9 weeks claiming more information was needed. To shorten this up, I've been out of work 10 of 12 weeks and only been paid for 8 weeks, and had to fight like hell to get that. The purpose of this benefit I've paid for over a decade is to have a source of income when medically needed. MetLife takes your money and makes excuses not to pay you. Do your selves a favor and put the money you pay for this benefit into another account. Come January, they're fired!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I have Short Term/Long Term Disability coverage with MetLife through my employer. I have been with my employer 7 years and they switched insurance providers 2 years ago. Metlife approved me for unpaid medical leave with no problems, but my STD claim was denied because the medical records were never received even though my doctor did send them. Unreceived faxes happened constantly. I appealed the decision and figured I would have no problem with approval once the medical records were received, but I was wrong. They decided my doctor did not submit enough proof my condition was debilitating even though my doctor's notes specifically said I couldn't work due to my pain. They also stated my doctor did not call their medical director back, but he did and received a voicemail. I have now retained a lawyer and hoping once he gets my file, determines we have a case.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Worst company ever!!! I've had to appeal for my short term disability benefits twice only for them to say your medical doesn't support your claim. There needs to be a class action suit against them. Don't buy from them because they don't stand behind their product and their process needs to change. My caseworker was so unprofessional and the clinicians are clueless. I hate them!

Original review: July 24, 2018

First off to anyone suffering a disability or health problems, I’d like to say that I'm sorry. And I feel terrible. Because I'm not a sociopath like MetLife and their entourage. I actually can feel pain and sympathize. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what is the definition of crimes against humanity? According to laws it means that when a large amount of innocent people I'm talking thousands are intentionally being tortured like we are. These I think are considered crimes against humanity! Pls respond if you agree. In my opinion this needs to stop! They think we are weak and going to break down and give up. Those are their intentions. But they can't fight an army of us speaking the truth getting together and voicing this to the public! Taking legal actions.

Like someone mentioned in their review, MAKE SURE YOU TAPE THESE LIARS! I suffered a TBI that changed my life forever and I have multiple debilitating injuries throughout my body. This was Workman’s comp related, another entity of sociopaths. I have worked and went to college. Throughout my life I worked full time by choice since I was a kid!! I suffered 3 horrible injuries on the job as a flight attendant for UNITED AIRLINES. I started off with a wonderful company called CONTINENTAL AIRLINES then we merged. Almost 20yrs working full time in good standing and LOVING MY CAREER. It was taken away from me. The inhumane torture is unimaginable! I have been suffering for years and severely medically neglected and bullied. I took a long term MetLife dis policy that United sponsors years ago. Heaven forbid something should happen. Unfortunately, it did! I’m young. Was totally a different person with a different lifestyle.

At first when I contacted MetLife they claimed they could not find me. They lied. I had to have someone from United assist me in order to prove I paid in. Even the United employee that assisted me was in disbelief. After that, I HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO SPEND ALMOST IF NOT MORE than 20,000 in attorney fees to have a disability lawyer help me get my claim started and approved. I also spent thousands in out of pocket medical care to try and help me walk properly. Even though I have health ins via my company, because this is WC related I'm not allowed according to NJ state law and my union and my WC attorney to seek any treatment till my WC case is over. Instead I was instructed to sit home and rot for yrs until my case is over.

After I was approved by MetLife long term they repeatedly ask for updates. First I found a pay discrepancy that MetLife claimed United reported false earnings. Then according to MetLife they stated that United Airlines has a contract with them implementing certain limitations of what they perceive as disabled after 2 yrs. Currently now I have to do update on my own because I'm financially distraught and can no longer afford to replenish a 2,500 dollar retainer by my attorney. Tell me guys, is there an attorney that actually cares or does pro bono?

MetLife loves the fact that we do not have an attorney they get off on it. Then they can screw us more. MetLife the professional liars they are, are not only playing a dangerous game with my health and life. They are also making false accusations against Doctors that care. They lie about doctors stating they are not sending them info etc. Hmm now they are calling my doctors liars. Interesting. What these morons forget, is that this can be proven. Mrs. Kelly ** and her entourage are always on vacations with of course OUR MONEY and lying dragging out claims so that they can stress us out and make us sicker only to make you give up.

The game goes on and on, the dragging, the lies go on and on till your time is up. Then they can screw you. They know it’s hard for us to function. In my case especially with paperwork and a lot of other things. They know your weakness and your strengths with your disabilities. Therefore, they know exactly how to set you off and use your vulnerability via your disability to make your life even worse. Let’s not forget the EMPLOYERS WHO SIGN UP WITH THESE CORRUPT LUNATICS! MetLife adjusters act bubbly and like they care. However, they don't give a damn. How can a disabled work? If I am able to work you stupid morons THEN SEND ME BACK TO FLYING! I ask myself, are they just simply miserable jealous people who can't stand their jobs and want ours? Because we were happy with our careers. Now they are going to determine and come to a false conclusion.

I can easily predict come July that this inhumane entity will NOT approve my claim. Why? because not only do they not do their jobs, they have a bunch of self serving "clinicians" who know absolutely nothing make your determination that’s already predetermined lol. I think they should be boycotted and I think we need to educate the public of hardworking Americans that paying into this MetLife is worthless. They are surviving because of us! They mooch off of us! Same way the state does. While you and I sit home rotting, suffering, and worried about our survival and health. After all we have given all our lives. These companies think they are powerful. They are not! They are so weak, they would never survive our torment and pain. How is anyone with a brain injury that can barely function at home with deficits and physical debilitations work?

Do they really think I want to sit here in this hell hole collecting nothing close to what I was making and live like this? Not only are they making decisions that are threatening our health and safety, but also the public’s safety by putting disabled people out there that are not capable of working YET or unfortunately NEVER and need full time medical treatments and rehabilitations like surgeries, PT etc. they deprive us from. I have not slept in years. Because of pain, suffering torment, worrying, I have not had any peace. I keep fighting for my health and what’s right! Has anyone seen a miracle of greatness happen after all these reviews post? Has anyone received help? Pls let me know how legit.

What I really am curious about is why has this been going on for decades and laws not changed? We are all in the same boat and unless we do something ourselves and speak to the public and seek legal justice this will never end. I know my civil and human rights have been violated on many levels. This will never end. Apparently this is happening in almost every state. Isn't it Ironic that we all use the words TORTURE, SUFFERING ETC.? Isn't this a crime? Correct me if I'm wrong. Why pay disability, when you don't receive it when needed? Are they discriminating against our age, race, gender, sexuality, career? I'm curious to know. Why is it so complicated? Why? Why, when the proof is there? WHY?

I cannot take this torture any longer. I need assistance with paperwork etc. Lots of assistance. If anyone can reply pls do. HELP!!! It’s hard for me on computers. So if anyone on reviews contacts me pls give me time to respond. Thank you. I wish us all good health and prosperity long life to all that are suffering. Pls do not give up!!! As for you MetLife, enjoy your lavish vacations on us while we suffer and you do absolutely NOTHING! My faith in GOD only becomes STRONGER! :)

Original review: June 27, 2018

Short Term Disability claim suspended. I have eye condition that I found out is a part of autoimmune disease. Almost went blind and short term disability claims specialist said the nurse wants to know why I cant work as Reading teacher and my claim is suspended. I don’t know any Reading teacher that can work if they can’t see. I am not sure why MetLife thinks this is okay to do but I will file a complaint with Attorney General's office right after I leave this post.

Uveitis autoimmune disease is rare condition found by Ophthalmologist and Rheumatologist. In other words you cannot fake this condition. It is found in your blood HLA-B27 gene. They paid the claim for 4 weeks and 2 days. I am owed for 7 more weeks. Thank God I am feeling better because I will never see that 7 weeks of pay. I wish I didn’t have a medical condition. MetLife took advantage of a woman who is almost blind. Very sad.

Original review: June 16, 2018

My story is the same as everyone else’s on here. They cover about 4 weeks of disability and then stop and say you’re healed. But, my dr’s including the Mayo Clinic have not allowed me to return to work. I have the use of one arm & one leg. I’m currently in the appeals process, they’ve made what should be a time to get rested and we’ll absolutely hell on earth. I’ve gotten letters from work that I’d be fired if I didn’t submit such and such documentation within 10 days and that I was on an unapproved leave, that turned out to be an error from MetLife. I got that notice on my son’s birthday.

I have applied for ssdi, and am going to contact an attorney Monday, because they too want me to fill out that long useless form that costs $400.00. Yes that is the #. This will not guarantee my job, or my benefits. MetLife is the worst company. They will not pay you! I get phone calls from them... with a first name & a generic call back # no extension, tell me how am I supposed to get in touch with that person?

Once I get through the automatic system the idiots who I speak to say I have to speak to the first idiot who called me, and they’ll have them call me. I have 5 dr’s visits next week lasting over an hour each. You think There’s a chance I might miss that call? Here is a copy of one of my dr’s notes, that wasn’t accepted. They have all my records. Including my physical therapy records.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I said that if I have problems with my claim that I would update my review. Well I had NO PROBLEMS with my STD insurance which was paid by my employer. The MetLife LTD claim on the other hand is done directly thru MetLife and boy did the games begin when that process started. FIRST AND FOREMOST make sure that everything you do on the phone is recorded by you and be sure to state that you want all conversations in writing.

What they tell you on the phone will be in double talk and they will tell you what you want to hear, but will not do what they are telling you. In other words, they will use any stall and delay tactics that they can come up with to not approve your claim, all the while telling you that things are going great and we just need to "clarify" a few things. DO NOT TRUST your representative (if you can get them to even acknowledge you), they will give you as much misinformation as their computer screen and training will allow them to do. The first thing they did with me was inform me that my employer paid LTD policy that I had was not the actual policy and their policy overrides anything that your employer gives you. When I called out my employer on this, all they said was what they gave me is what MetLife gave them.

There is a clause in the policy that states if there are "any" discrepancies in the two policies, that the MetLife provided policy takes precedence. MetLife however will NOT give you a copy of this policy as by law it is the responsibility of your employer to provide you with the policy. Do you see the beginnings of a no win situation here, MetLife can re-write the policy wording at any time and their policy takes precedence over what your employer is paying for and has.

Don't blame your employer, as it is MetLife that is playing the games. Your employer is just giving you a false sense of security by waiving this benefit in front of you as a hiring tactic. My cardiologist of over 10 years will not fill out the physician statement as almost all of the questions do not pertain to cardiac care. She referred me to my primary care physician again of over 10 years and my PCP agreed to complete the forms. This took about 1.5 hours in her office and I had to pay an extended office visit and pay for the form filing fee. MetLife rejected these forms from my Primary Care Physician and sent the forms to my cardiologist to fill out. My cardiologist again told them she will not fill out a form asking if I can bend, hold things, stand, sit, walk, etc. as this is NOT things that a cardiologist treats.

So MetLife is saying that I am non-compliant and denied. Now keep in mind that this same PCP filled out the mass of forms for SSDI and my SSDI claim was approved in 3 weeks. MetLife apparently feels that they are of a greater good than the Government and rejects my PCP as a qualified doctor. Here's the kicker that really irritates the hell out of me. MetLife LTD deducts any payments from SSDI from their payout. SSDI is paying MORE than what MetLife would be paying so the amount that they would pay is the minimum which is $100.00 a month.

However the Feds require a minimum of $88.00 to be deducted per month for (sick) pay. MetLife is stalling a payment to me in the amount of $12.00 a month. So for about the price of a "value" meal at McDonald's once a month, MetLife wants to play games and stall and deny my claim. If you have a MetLife LTD "benefit" with the company you work for, just keep in mind that you will most likely NOT be able to use it. I have 29 stents in my coronary arteries and I have had 5 arteries by-passed, 3 of which so far have scarred closed in less than 3 years.

I had a meeting with all of my surgeons and my cardiologist and have been told that all they can do is strong medications to give me as much time as possible. There is NO way of knowing how much time I have left, and there is nothing more they may be able to do with stenting and angioplasty. Another bypass or transplant is not possible due to the extent of the artery disease that I have. This is the way MetLife treats a dying person, just imagine how they are going to treat YOU!!

Original review: June 2, 2018

I get MetLife through work, my father has ESRD, and I am driving 4 hours to help take care of him. I am having a very hard time dealing with this. I am diagnosed with major depression and anxiety, my doctor sent a letter to MetLife saying that I needed short term disability. I have seen therapists , psychologists, and have been on several medications. MetLife denied my claim, saying depression is not something they can approve, so I have to go back to work against my doctor's request. The case worker has been rude, and didn't seem to care. I have been paying for this benefit through work for 15 years and have received nothing but grief from this company.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Well it is very sad when your employer gives you this security net of long term disability from MetLife and you think it is good to have. So I was on short term and that was fine. So I filed my long term, because I am unable to work. I give them all the paperwork and then some. My case manger calls me and says, "Well your medical used was good for your short term claim but not now. You are denied. Feel free to submit an appeal" What a damn Scan!

Original review: May 17, 2018

I am a Army Veteran and was deployed in Iraq back in 2004-2005. During my time I was on convoy protection for fuel trucks. Last year I got into a program where I was diagnosed with PTSD, TBI, and anxiety disorder. The effects of these problems caused me issues where I was unable to work and I was even approved for STD. I was actually still receiving for my claim until the start of March of this year. They suddenly stopped paying and stated there is not enough medical evidence to support my claim. This is funny because again I was already receiving this benefit prior. My current Therapist, who also works for VA had been submitting documents to support my claim. My Therapist wondered why this stopped when there was no problems prior. I have yet to receive a honest answer from them as to why this changed.

My Therapist recently submitted a set of documents with the notes about our sessions as was requested by a MetLife supervisor. I was informed today that their clinical team still stands that there is not enough medical evidence to support my claim. I asked what kind of answer these people are wanting when it comes to PTSD. Even my Therapist said that they don't seem to have a clue what PTSD actually is or what symptoms a person has to have. I have been trying to resolve this as quickly as possible and now I can't pay for anything. I do have a small disability rating with the VA because they agree that I am disabled but not enough to even help enough to pay my rent. I have my Senator, Congressmen, DOL, Attorney General, Office of the Insurance Commissioner, and work directly with IAVA. They tell me how I can place a appeal again but that my claim can't be approved because of insufficient medical evidence.

I will be making sure to tell my story everywhere I go until they take care of these issues. They actually have good people that do seem to care but it does not matter because it's the supervisors that are the worst. I don't know who these people are in the clinical staff but they don't have a clue how PTSD works. As according to the several doctors that I have seen there is no smoking gun, there is no test, every person is different, some show different signs than others, but in all cases it can only be treated. I will most likely be taking this to some of the major news organizations to bring this to light for the rest of the US population. I also have the Attorney General's office forming an investigation into all of this. Do not let friends or family use this company and show them that they can't treat Veterans this way!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I was on short disability due to pre-pregnancy complications and needed to be on strict bedrest for months along with me being in an out of the hospital. This caused me to have severe muscle atrophy and lower back pain, along with postpartum depression. I required months of physical therapy to regain my strength. When my short term disability claim was exhausted and I went 2 weeks into LTD. Since I pay into LTD with MetLife I was able to file a claim. My claim with MetLife was denied after their physician read through my physician's notes and I was told that the reason why my claim was denied was that, "Their physician felt that physical therapy for muscle atrophy from months of bedrest and postpartum depression diagnosed by my physician were not sufficient in his eyes".

The only reason his assessment differs from my physicians assessment is only if he is questioning my physician's qualifications without examining me or speaking to our physician directly. He only has the notes to go by and both the details stated above were in the notes, as I have copies of the notes. I do not believe they have my best interest and most of all they are questioning my physicians diagnosis based on "feelings" and not the facts that are in the notes. I am very disappointed that I can not depend on a company that I have been paying out of pocket for their services for years.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I purchased MetLife Long Term Disability Insurance thru my employer and paid every month for 13 years. I became disabled due to a condition of my spine that required surgery. I never got better or was able to work again. I had to fill out a lot of paperwork and be seen by several doctors but I have received my disability claim. I have been paid monthly for over 10 years now. I do have to get my doctor to do an annual exam for them regarding my condition but that's not a big deal. I have been offered a cash-out option but don't have the exact info on that as of yet. Bottom line is that if you are verifiably disabled and your doctors agree and you are diligent in fighting for your claim then they will probably pay you. No company likes to pay claims, that's now how they make money but this company is not a scam.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I was out on STD in 2012 and again in 2018 with NO PROBLEMS what so ever. They sent me forms ONE time to fill out. My Doctor filled out the paperwork as best she could and I sent them into MetLife. Never received a phone call, never received any other paperwork. My paychecks and my benefits continued to be paid with NO PROBLEMS. In 2012 the claim was for 3 months, and the current claim will be for 6 months. I have another month to go for my LTD paperwork to arrive, but I don't anticipate any problems. If you have a serious medical condition and complete the paperwork they request, at least for me, there does not appear to be any problems such as is all over this site.

Would be glad to update this should I have any problems with the process. My policy is thru a group employer policy. Also I was approved for SSDI 3 weeks after my initial application with NO ATTORNEY and my cardiologist does NOT believe in the SS system and would not do any of the paperwork. I simply sent in my medical records for the last decade and answered their phone call questions honestly, and returned any paperwork requested promptly and via registered mail. I have to wonder if the complaints here may arise out of not doing things properly or timely. You do have to take responsibility for your own claim as customer service is no longer a common thing. In fact it is pretty rare these days.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

For the second time in 3 months I have had to go out of work on short term disability. Both times MetLife has been absolutely unbearable. The way they speak to me is intolerable, unprofessional. I am 7.5 months pregnant and dealing with the stress of MetLife is harder than actually being at work. It’s so disheartening and absolutely absurd. They accuse me of being dishonest about my condition, claim they never received documentation that has been sent multiples times. Additionally, they want a doctor to doctor consult and after several attempts from my physician they don’t call back and instead harass me. MetLife is a sad excuse for a business and they lack compassion and professionalism for people who are in grave situations. If my company had another option I would take it because MetLife is a joke! I don’t want to be out of work, sick and stressed during my pregnancy but they insist I do.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

In 2014 when one of the METLIFE (Insurance company) Senior manager sold me Policy no **. He promised me saving return accumulating to over 10 lakhs if I continue to pay my yearly premium of approx. 50,000 every year. Along with this endowment lifesaving plan which will continue even after maturity of Plan post 10 years, I was also provided and was assured health insurance as per policy. I got health insurance copy from METLIFE Only in year 2014 till early 2015; Since 2015 I have been chasing and calling the PNB Metlife on emails and grievance and have not been issued any renewals on health insurance policy or any benefit.

I raised the grievance to PNB both (GRO@pnbmetlife.co.in & "INDIASERVICE@PNBMETLIFE.CO.IN" ); I came to know that PNB Metlife has not taken any action on Prasanjit ** and from one sales manager, I came to know that PNB Metlife promotes its managers to speak lies to customers to get investment and have been cheating people from India. They are criminals in white collars; I have written this complaint to India, PMO office and MetLife UK, but all these organisations are unable to provide any response or help; India is country of injustice which allows cheats like PNB MetLife to roam free and cheat innocent people of India.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I applied for long term disability with MetLife May 2017. I faxed my Dr papers. I was denied 3 days later. I since then filed a appeal with more Dr letter. More medical records. The person over my appeal called. Did another phone interview. After the 45min on phone she says they have to again speak with my Drs. Then by saying it can take up to 45 days or more before I get a response... MetLife is a scam. If they do pay it will go back to 2016. Sad all this company are ripping off the Little people.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

After going out of work the end of September 2017 due to severe migraines and my boss telling me, "If you were not on FMLA, I would write you up". I began getting the migraines daily and could not work at all, so per my doctor he took me out of work and I applied for short term disability. After MetLife requesting several documents from me and my doctor, they denied me, telling me it had nothing to do with workers compensation or work. Well, no of course not, this all came from severe migraines and if I knew this from the beginning I would have never continued to pay for your fake disability insurance.

Do not ever trust this company they are a scam, they are happy to take your money, but when it comes to giving it back to you when you are in need - forget it - you will never get out of them what you put into them. Please read any and all information carefully and make sure that you read the fine print, because you will not see anywhere in the fine print that you will be denied, but you will.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I pay for disability insurance through payroll deductions. However my employer is involved in all transactions but they do not pay a dime. I was off work for 9 months in 2017 and had to pay my employer $127.42 each month I was off totaling approximately $1000. I was on workman compensation for an on the job injury but my employer paid my elective insurance cost unbeknownst to me totaling $3,879. I had to pay these funds by 12/31/2017 although I was off work for several months. I feel that the employer should not converse with the carrier representative unless I request their assistance. MET Life informed me I cannot collect disability payments while I am off work and receiving workman compensation payments. If I pay for disability insurance I should have been allowed to collect it.

MET Life used the Illinois law that an employee can't receive payments from both entities. If I were sending my disability payments directly to MET Life I would have received workman compensation and short term disability payments. MET Life is in contact with my employer at every turn although I am paying 100% of my premiums for STD.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

MetLife may be one of the worst companies to deal with that I know. They delay and confuse simple process, require unreal documentation, record every conversation, look for every way to discourage both the insured and the doctors working with you to get a denial of benefits regardless of the obvious conditions and situations. Do not expect to be able to obtain your benefits without a huge battle.

It is even hard to keep your insurance benefits with the continual questioning and harassment from MetLife. They seem to imply you are in the wrong, lead doctors with misleading questions and delay in every way they can conceive. They act as if you are doing something wrong by receiving your rightful benefits. Do not pay for this insurance. When you need the benefits, the stress and process is beyond what any good company with ethics would ever do to loyal customers. You pay for the coverage, they simply want to deny you in any way they can.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Do not get insurance from this company!!! #MetLife are the worst, almost criminal. They will ask you for documents, more documents and will not give you a straight answer to the status of your claims and will try to tire you out. I have been going back and forth for half a year on a disability insurance that I have had for a decade where I made diligent payments etc... I gave them all my financial docs for 3-4 years as big as 2 dictionaries... And they have had it now for over a month and can't give me an answer... Now they want my last month's docs and more docs signed - the ones I already signed but now with today's date now... Etc... The same one they had me sign months ago but now with an updated signed date. Get it? They just want to tie you up in paperwork in hopes that you will get tired. This is a criminal enterprise and I would not recommend getting insurance here unless you want to have a heart attack.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I was denied for Short-Term Disability (STD) under the University System of Georgia group policy because I had PTSD and took an SSRI for a year. MetLife said I couldn't exclude PTSD coverage because it was a group policy. They encouraged me to dispute the denial. HOWEVER, after I tweeted about it, two different corporate representatives in the Statement of Health division called and told me all disputes related to PTSD or Anxiety are denied. Anyone who has had one of these conditions "fails" a "pass/fail" evaluation. Therein lies the fraud. A fake dispute process means MetLife is defrauding patients and insurance companies because the dispute letter must be written by the applicant's psychiatrist--which costs $$$.

I recorded my calls with MetLife, which is legal and admissible in court in Georgia, and am waiting for the GA Insurance Commissioner to complete an investigation before I pursue civil action. I'm sure Blue Cross et al. would like to know they've been paying untold sums of money for dispute letters. Perhaps a class action is in the works for the fraud, which is the more winnable case, or the more important but more challenging issue of discrimination against ** and abuse survivors (and those of us who went to Iraq).

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

My wife short term disability was denied by MetLife on November 21, 2017. She was injured in a motor vehicle accident in July 2017, and treated by chiropractor, medical doctor, and neurologist. She has bulging disc in the neck; shoulder back, and is still in significant pain, back, neck, shoulder, headache, dizziness vertigo short term memory loss etc from concussion. I took over the tasks that have become too difficult for my wife to do. I watch her suffer as she tries to do simple things that was normal. She forgets why she got up from a chair or mid sentence what she was saying. She is unable to help our 4 kids with homework although they has a graduate degree. Yet MetLife disregard her neurologist report. Added to that, they lied and claimed they have not received documents from the doctor who originally took her off work.

The doctor, Dr **...faxed the completed form plus all office notes that you requested. My wife is still paying her employer to maintain benefits with MetLife, but MetLife refuse to pay. No one should pay these heartless thieves. They have caused my wife much distress and exacerbated her illness. We have to hire a lawyer and pay which is not right at all. She should get what is rightfully hers instead of more pain and suffering. She was injured in an accident that was not her fault and now is being injured again by any unscrupulous company representative "Jessica".

You know very well that you received documents from Dr **. Be honest and do what's right. They sent a stack of papers for long term after subjecting her to a lengthy interview over the phone. There is no way she can fill those herself. Plus if they denied short term, they will not approve long term. She would be at work if she can. Two doctors state that she is unable to work at this time, yet MetLife is saying that she should have gone right back to work through all her pain etc. Laws need to be changed to protect people against these beast entities who take advantage of people when they are at their weakest. Shame on you MetLife.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

After being 5 weeks off for becoming sepsis from a emergency hernia mesh removal. MetLife has yet to approve my claim going on week 6 and no money. Luckily I had savings and I was able to pay my bills and have food no thanks to MetLife. I called to see where my claim was in the process the "specialist" NOT!!! Never knew what was going on, every single one of them couldn't tell me. They said a case manager would call within 7 to 10 business days never heard from her at all. So I'm in week 6 won't hold my breath...

MetLife expert review by Matthew Brodsky

MetLife is a well-known insurance company that has become famous for its commercials using characters from the "Peanuts" comic strip. It offers a variety of insurances, including disability insurance.

• Offers real life stories on its website: Users can watch videos featuring people who became disabled so that they can learn more about disability insurance.

• FAQ and tips online: MetLife offers a FAQ section and tips for dealing with disability insurance on its website.

• Offers individual supplements: Consumers can purchase the exact insurance they need rather than depending on an employer-offered insurance plan.

• Offers both short- and long-term insurance: People who are disabled for a long period of time don't have to worry about their benefits running out.

• Online calculator helps people figure out their insurance needs: MetLife's online calculator predicts how much insurance people will need if they become disabled for various periods of time.

• Best for: People with chronic conditions, people who have been injured and people recovering from surgery.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky