MetLife Disability Insurance

MetLife Disability Insurance

4.0/5 (847 ratings)

About MetLife Disability Insurance

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States.

MetLife Disability Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife Disability Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I had short term disability for my knee surgery. Everything went fine the first month. But then everything just stopped. It's been 5 weeks since my last check. If I wasn't living with my parents. I'd be evicted. How can you withhold people's money ? People are being screwed and left in waiting. I've been told multiple times the paper works being checked? You guys have all that info right there? Why would it take longer than a week. I literally made an account on here so I can give a 1 star. Been on customer support for 23 minutes. My wait time was Less than 1 minute. I hope it's a 2nd party messing you guys up. And not just MetLife being deliberately morally wrong.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

Having to be off of work due to an illness is stressful enough without having to worry about finances which is why I pay for short term disability thru MetLife. The experience has been truly awful. I have been on short term disability since 5/26. There was a 14 day waiting period with MetLife before benefits started. I did not receive my first payment until 8/4. I received a letter stating I was approved until 8/27. The letter did not state the amount or when I would receive payment. I have spoken to 3 different people and they are unable to provide that information.

I have left 2 messages for the “claims specialist” who is supposedly in charge of my claim with no response. I do not understand how MetLife can treat people so poorly. I have never gotten more of a runaround from an organization. The stalling of this company to pay claims to people who are paying for their services is despicable. I am almost ready to return to work and still have only received one payment. I would NOT ever purchase insurance through them again.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

For over 10 weeks there has been either no communication with the customer service representatives, disability specialists, and or unit manager, backpedaling of the documents/information submitted, and or new documentation being requested and absolutely no follow-up or resolve from this ineffective middle level management.

All happening while the timeclock continues to move forward. To date, there has been no resolution. Although I have verbally requested (on numerous occasions via telephone) and looked diligently online using their website - metlife.com, there is no physical listing showing a directory of people to reach out to. The "higher ups" are inaccessible. Ironically, I was told yesterday that "the higher ups" reviewed my specific case and needed additional documentation immediately or the claim would be denied, those "higher ups" are unreachable by their customers. This after being told on Friday, that the "check was in the mail". If METLIFE is supposed to be about THEIR CUSTOMERS, WHY HAVE I NOT BEEN EFFECTIVELY AND EFFICIENTLY SERVED? All I can say is "POOR" practices and no expeditious follow up for who they claim they are serving so well.

In an excerpt from the website, one section includes a headline that states: All In This Together. Our purpose is reflected in how we care for each other, especially during times of crisis. We always have been—and always will be—in this together. It appears that this caption and statement are really the least of this company's concern.

Original review: July 15, 2021

I had major surgery 6/11. Started my stm disability process in May to avoid any delays in receiving my financial benefit. What I have found is if you do not follow up you will not have an “approved” claim. I feel that the information you have to supply to your employer to be approved for FMLA comes from your doctor. If there is an extension needed for health purposes on your leave it also has to come from your doctor. The employer should share this information with MetLife to help with stressors that have been created because this is not a seamless process when making the claimant, customer (medically disabled person) do the leg work that should be done by the claims representative and also employer. Not to mention the phones do not work properly and hangup on you if you opt for automated call back. Not happy with the stm disability experience. I expected better support while attempt to focus solely on healing! Not ok…

Original review: July 14, 2021

I never taught getting sick would be my worst nightmare. My illnesses verified by 2 specialist and my primary Dr. weren't enough for MetLife a company whom I have been paying in to for over 4 years. Dealing with Bianca ** and her supervisor Faye, whom by the way never returned a callback, has been a nightmare. Bianca ** will wait until last day to tell me she needed more information. She kept my case prolonged for over 3 months. And I have to day speaking to such an unprofessional person was the nightmare. This company will speak to you as if they are giving you a handout with no compassion no understanding. If anyone decides to get this company for short term disability I can assure you. Their main goal will be to deny you.

Customer service reps will say one thing. But Bianca was doing and saying other things. Like I was told if my job had no accommodations I would be approved with the information I had provided. Little did I know after 3 months and no payments I would be FORCE to signed a waiver to be released back to work against Dr advice. Bianca calls 3 days after due date to state I was denied due to not having enough paperwork. Again 3 days after due date had passed.

I will rather go back to work with my illnesses and 14 medications than to ever have to deal with this company again. MetLife disability should not be in the business of "helping" people as they do not have any idea on how to deal with people. It amazes me to have had the regretful encounter with Bianca **. I will definitely be dropping this company the day I return to work, the moment I log in to my computer will be the first thing I do. Is upsetting to even think companies like this have become what we are supposed to count on. As this company logo and commercials is a wolf dressed in sheep's cloth.

Original review: July 9, 2021

This company has to be the worst company to get short term disability. I get it thru the company I work for. I had surgery on June 15. Going to be out 6 to 8 weeks. Now July 8. Still no check. Dr. sent stuff to them June 24. Every time I call, get a different person. They all tell you different things. They lie like crazy. I called again today. They said they are just reviewing it today and there is no time frame to review it and make a decision. But once they are done reviewing it, another person looks at it and has another 5 days to make a decision. REALLY!!! No money coming in. Can't pay my bills. Got my cell phone cut off. Three weeks so far with no money coming in. They don't give a crap. How can it take this long from the 24th of June till now to just be looking at it. Worst Worst Company ever. Just so disgusted.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I’ve been out of work since 9/5/20. I have short and long term disability thru MetLife doctor has me applying for SSDI. Since 10/11/20 MetLife only paid New York State Disability until 3/21 while denying short and long term disability. I had to hire a lawyer. As of now MetLife has until 7/29/21 to make a decision or ask for another 45 day extension. I don’t and will not tell anyone to deal with this company.

Original review: March 26, 2021

If you are a customer of MetLife and have any of their auto and home products then this is the company for you. I have had an auto policy and renters through them for 4 years and they have always been awesome when it comes to filing claims and needing assistance. If you have been lucky like me to also have MetLife Disability thru your employer as I do, keep reading.

MetLife Disability is THE WORST!!! Trying to file a claim and keeping the claim consistent has been a nightmare. You have to jump thru hoops to file a claim then more hoops getting it approved. I filed my claim on 12/18/2020 as I was in an accident on 12/12/2020. The accident caused injuries that I would not be able to do my job (I have a very physical job) and had just gotten approved for FMLA thru my employer. I was able to get approved for STD from 12/29/20-1/24/20, however I had to submit MORE paperwork to keep my claim going (???? Why?). So I tried to get the all the necessary paperwork needed and I did, but uh-oh, MetLife denied it (supposedly I missed the deadline - how hard is it to extend it?).

I decided to email the President of MetLife and what do you know! The claim was opened and I was approved for another Disability payment from 02/10-03/15, however I am still on FMLA until 04/12. I have called MetLife repeatedly and they REALLY,REALLY like to let everything go to Voicemail and having them get back to you is like pulling teeth. I had not received a Disability payment this week and called Case Manager Faye ** who, luckily called me back as in my last voicemail I advised her I would be notifying my lawyer regarding this debacle. Ms. ** blatantly chastised me and tried to blame me for them dropping the ball. Every question she had I was able to give her the information requested. By the end of the call they have extended my claim, but why extend it when I am still injured and still not able to work. Find another company to get Disability thru should you ever become disabled, MetLife is not it for this part.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I submitted a claim on 11/15/20 and as of today - 1/15/21 - it still has not been resolved. I sent emails, made phone calls, and no one answers. I had Covid and was off of work for a month and trying to get short term disability - which is only 60% of my regular pay. I went over a month with no income and with the lack of communication with MetLife, I have no idea when I will receive my disability payment. I have never dealt with a company with this poor of communication and I am very, very disappointed and would certainly never recommend this company.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

This all started in November. They said they sent my check out in mail on the 10th of November. I called them on November 20. To let them know I did not receive it. They told me I have wait 10 working day. So I did. I called them back 23 and 24 of November. They said they Stop paying on the check. Issue me a new one. I spoke multiple people in even managers. They told it would Take 7 to 10 days before I would get it in the mail. I said ok. I never received it. Called Several times. I spoke to manager. She said they would overnight to me. So got my November payment 19th December.

Now I'm still waiting on my December payment that was issued on 10th. I have call several times and they was supposed to stop payment on the check. I active my Direct deposit Saturday. I was told it was in limbo or it being canceled. It been 4 days. It December 31. I got letter today say they need my doctor to reviews some paper.. The letter was date December 23 and mail on 28. Today is 31 of December. The paper must be received by January 4 2021. Doctor office closed due to holiday. So that gives me one day to get the paper back. I have talked to them multiple times and no one said a thing about any paper for my doctor office.

MetLife author review by Matthew Brodsky

MetLife is a well-known insurance company that has become famous for its commercials using characters from the "Peanuts" comic strip. It offers a variety of insurances, including disability insurance.

• Offers real life stories on its website: Users can watch videos featuring people who became disabled so that they can learn more about disability insurance.

• FAQ and tips online: MetLife offers a FAQ section and tips for dealing with disability insurance on its website.

• Offers individual supplements: Consumers can purchase the exact insurance they need rather than depending on an employer-offered insurance plan.

• Offers both short- and long-term insurance: People who are disabled for a long period of time don't have to worry about their benefits running out.

• Online calculator helps people figure out their insurance needs: MetLife's online calculator predicts how much insurance people will need if they become disabled for various periods of time.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor