1.23/5
Based on 172 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

MetLife Disability Insurance

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

Last updated: April 17, 2018

270 MetLife Disability Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 17, 2018

I was on short disability due to pre-pregnancy complications and needed to be on strict bedrest for months along with me being in an out of the hospital. This caused me to have severe muscle atrophy and lower back pain, along with postpartum depression. I required months of physical therapy to regain my strength. When my short term disability claim was exhausted and I went 2 weeks into LTD. Since I pay into LTD with MetLife I was able to file a claim. My claim with MetLife was denied after their physician read through my physician's notes and I was told that the reason why my claim was denied was that, "Their physician felt that physical therapy for muscle atrophy from months of bedrest and postpartum depression diagnosed by my physician were not sufficient in his eyes".

The only reason his assessment differs from my physicians assessment is only if he is questioning my physician's qualifications without examining me or speaking to our physician directly. He only has the notes to go by and both the details stated above were in the notes, as I have copies of the notes. I do not believe they have my best interest and most of all they are questioning my physicians diagnosis based on "feelings" and not the facts that are in the notes. I am very disappointed that I can not depend on a company that I have been paying out of pocket for their services for years.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I purchased MetLife Long Term Disability Insurance thru my employer and paid every month for 13 years. I became disabled due to a condition of my spine that required surgery. I never got better or was able to work again. I had to fill out a lot of paperwork and be seen by several doctors but I have received my disability claim. I have been paid monthly for over 10 years now. I do have to get my doctor to do an annual exam for them regarding my condition but that's not a big deal. I have been offered a cash-out option but don't have the exact info on that as of yet. Bottom line is that if you are verifiably disabled and your doctors agree and you are diligent in fighting for your claim then they will probably pay you. No company likes to pay claims, that's now how they make money but this company is not a scam.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I was out on STD in 2012 and again in 2018 with NO PROBLEMS what so ever. They sent me forms ONE time to fill out. My Doctor filled out the paperwork as best she could and I sent them into MetLife. Never received a phone call, never received any other paperwork. My paychecks and my benefits continued to be paid with NO PROBLEMS. In 2012 the claim was for 3 months, and the current claim will be for 6 months. I have another month to go for my LTD paperwork to arrive, but I don't anticipate any problems. If you have a serious medical condition and complete the paperwork they request, at least for me, there does not appear to be any problems such as is all over this site.

Would be glad to update this should I have any problems with the process. My policy is thru a group employer policy. Also I was approved for SSDI 3 weeks after my initial application with NO ATTORNEY and my cardiologist does NOT believe in the SS system and would not do any of the paperwork. I simply sent in my medical records for the last decade and answered their phone call questions honestly, and returned any paperwork requested promptly and via registered mail. I have to wonder if the complaints here may arise out of not doing things properly or timely. You do have to take responsibility for your own claim as customer service is no longer a common thing. In fact it is pretty rare these days.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

For the second time in 3 months I have had to go out of work on short term disability. Both times MetLife has been absolutely unbearable. The way they speak to me is intolerable, unprofessional. I am 7.5 months pregnant and dealing with the stress of MetLife is harder than actually being at work. It’s so disheartening and absolutely absurd. They accuse me of being dishonest about my condition, claim they never received documentation that has been sent multiples times. Additionally, they want a doctor to doctor consult and after several attempts from my physician they don’t call back and instead harass me. MetLife is a sad excuse for a business and they lack compassion and professionalism for people who are in grave situations. If my company had another option I would take it because MetLife is a joke! I don’t want to be out of work, sick and stressed during my pregnancy but they insist I do.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

In 2014 when one of the METLIFE (Insurance company) Senior manager sold me Policy no **. He promised me saving return accumulating to over 10 lakhs if I continue to pay my yearly premium of approx. 50,000 every year. Along with this endowment lifesaving plan which will continue even after maturity of Plan post 10 years, I was also provided and was assured health insurance as per policy. I got health insurance copy from METLIFE Only in year 2014 till early 2015; Since 2015 I have been chasing and calling the PNB Metlife on emails and grievance and have not been issued any renewals on health insurance policy or any benefit.

I raised the grievance to PNB both (GRO@pnbmetlife.co.in & "INDIASERVICE@PNBMETLIFE.CO.IN" ); I came to know that PNB Metlife has not taken any action on Prasanjit ** and from one sales manager, I came to know that PNB Metlife promotes its managers to speak lies to customers to get investment and have been cheating people from India. They are criminals in white collars; I have written this complaint to India, PMO office and MetLife UK, but all these organisations are unable to provide any response or help; India is country of injustice which allows cheats like PNB MetLife to roam free and cheat innocent people of India.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I applied for long term disability with MetLife May 2017. I faxed my Dr papers. I was denied 3 days later. I since then filed a appeal with more Dr letter. More medical records. The person over my appeal called. Did another phone interview. After the 45min on phone she says they have to again speak with my Drs. Then by saying it can take up to 45 days or more before I get a response... MetLife is a scam. If they do pay it will go back to 2016. Sad all this company are ripping off the Little people.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

After going out of work the end of September 2017 due to severe migraines and my boss telling me, "If you were not on FMLA, I would write you up". I began getting the migraines daily and could not work at all, so per my doctor he took me out of work and I applied for short term disability. After MetLife requesting several documents from me and my doctor, they denied me, telling me it had nothing to do with workers compensation or work. Well, no of course not, this all came from severe migraines and if I knew this from the beginning I would have never continued to pay for your fake disability insurance.

Do not ever trust this company they are a scam, they are happy to take your money, but when it comes to giving it back to you when you are in need - forget it - you will never get out of them what you put into them. Please read any and all information carefully and make sure that you read the fine print, because you will not see anywhere in the fine print that you will be denied, but you will.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I pay for disability insurance through payroll deductions. However my employer is involved in all transactions but they do not pay a dime. I was off work for 9 months in 2017 and had to pay my employer $127.42 each month I was off totaling approximately $1000. I was on workman compensation for an on the job injury but my employer paid my elective insurance cost unbeknownst to me totaling $3,879. I had to pay these funds by 12/31/2017 although I was off work for several months. I feel that the employer should not converse with the carrier representative unless I request their assistance. MET Life informed me I cannot collect disability payments while I am off work and receiving workman compensation payments. If I pay for disability insurance I should have been allowed to collect it.

MET Life used the Illinois law that an employee can't receive payments from both entities. If I were sending my disability payments directly to MET Life I would have received workman compensation and short term disability payments. MET Life is in contact with my employer at every turn although I am paying 100% of my premiums for STD.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

MetLife may be one of the worst companies to deal with that I know. They delay and confuse simple process, require unreal documentation, record every conversation, look for every way to discourage both the insured and the doctors working with you to get a denial of benefits regardless of the obvious conditions and situations. Do not expect to be able to obtain your benefits without a huge battle.

It is even hard to keep your insurance benefits with the continual questioning and harassment from MetLife. They seem to imply you are in the wrong, lead doctors with misleading questions and delay in every way they can conceive. They act as if you are doing something wrong by receiving your rightful benefits. Do not pay for this insurance. When you need the benefits, the stress and process is beyond what any good company with ethics would ever do to loyal customers. You pay for the coverage, they simply want to deny you in any way they can.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Do not get insurance from this company!!! #MetLife are the worst, almost criminal. They will ask you for documents, more documents and will not give you a straight answer to the status of your claims and will try to tire you out. I have been going back and forth for half a year on a disability insurance that I have had for a decade where I made diligent payments etc... I gave them all my financial docs for 3-4 years as big as 2 dictionaries... And they have had it now for over a month and can't give me an answer... Now they want my last month's docs and more docs signed - the ones I already signed but now with today's date now... Etc... The same one they had me sign months ago but now with an updated signed date. Get it? They just want to tie you up in paperwork in hopes that you will get tired. This is a criminal enterprise and I would not recommend getting insurance here unless you want to have a heart attack.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I was denied for Short-Term Disability (STD) under the University System of Georgia group policy because I had PTSD and took an SSRI for a year. MetLife said I couldn't exclude PTSD coverage because it was a group policy. They encouraged me to dispute the denial. HOWEVER, after I tweeted about it, two different corporate representatives in the Statement of Health division called and told me all disputes related to PTSD or Anxiety are denied. Anyone who has had one of these conditions "fails" a "pass/fail" evaluation. Therein lies the fraud. A fake dispute process means MetLife is defrauding patients and insurance companies because the dispute letter must be written by the applicant's psychiatrist--which costs $$$.

I recorded my calls with MetLife, which is legal and admissible in court in Georgia, and am waiting for the GA Insurance Commissioner to complete an investigation before I pursue civil action. I'm sure Blue Cross et al. would like to know they've been paying untold sums of money for dispute letters. Perhaps a class action is in the works for the fraud, which is the more winnable case, or the more important but more challenging issue of discrimination against rape and abuse survivors (and those of us who went to Iraq).

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

My wife short term disability was denied by MetLife on November 21, 2017. She was injured in a motor vehicle accident in July 2017, and treated by chiropractor, medical doctor, and neurologist. She has bulging disc in the neck; shoulder back, and is still in significant pain, back, neck, shoulder, headache, dizziness vertigo short term memory loss etc from concussion. I took over the tasks that have become too difficult for my wife to do. I watch her suffer as she tries to do simple things that was normal. She forgets why she got up from a chair or mid sentence what she was saying. She is unable to help our 4 kids with homework although they has a graduate degree. Yet MetLife disregard her neurologist report. Added to that, they lied and claimed they have not received documents from the doctor who originally took her off work.

The doctor, Dr **...faxed the completed form plus all office notes that you requested. My wife is still paying her employer to maintain benefits with MetLife, but MetLife refuse to pay. No one should pay these heartless thieves. They have caused my wife much distress and exacerbated her illness. We have to hire a lawyer and pay which is not right at all. She should get what is rightfully hers instead of more pain and suffering. She was injured in an accident that was not her fault and now is being injured again by any unscrupulous company representative "Jessica".

You know very well that you received documents from Dr **. Be honest and do what's right. They sent a stack of papers for long term after subjecting her to a lengthy interview over the phone. There is no way she can fill those herself. Plus if they denied short term, they will not approve long term. She would be at work if she can. Two doctors state that she is unable to work at this time, yet MetLife is saying that she should have gone right back to work through all her pain etc. Laws need to be changed to protect people against these beast entities who take advantage of people when they are at their weakest. Shame on you MetLife.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

After being 5 weeks off for becoming sepsis from a emergency hernia mesh removal. MetLife has yet to approve my claim going on week 6 and no money. Luckily I had savings and I was able to pay my bills and have food no thanks to MetLife. I called to see where my claim was in the process the "specialist" NOT!!! Never knew what was going on, every single one of them couldn't tell me. They said a case manager would call within 7 to 10 business days never heard from her at all. So I'm in week 6 won't hold my breath...

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I had surgery in August and have nothing but trouble with Met. My caseworker never answers her phone and the other agents tell you something different every time you call. Have had the same issue as everyone concerning paperwork. This has been a nightmare and I get no support from employer. Other coworkers have had the same problems. I had 5 hours surgery and 6 inches of colon removed and have to wear bag and they treat me awful. I did speak to one agent and she found paperwork in the wrong folder duh... That they had been saying they didn't receive. Michelle ** is my case worker and she called the other night at 8:00 at night and guess what she wanted... Paperwork! I hate this company. Would not recommend them to my worst enemy! We need to file a lawsuit against this company... Who is with me?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I had to have urgent surgery done and I went through the proper channels to get paperwork for Metlife, FMLA, and time off for my employer in order to take my leave. Well, it has been 5 weeks out from my surgery and I am still healing. I have yet to receive a payment for the previous weeks at all. I have worked for my company and paid into this program for 3 years and when I finally need them to do their jobs; they are stating several times over that they did not receive the paperwork I sent them BEFORE I went on leave. I had to send my HR Director fax receipts of the items I sent them because they made her believe that I did not send them. I have had my doctor's office send the paperwork they have required for a total of 4 times and I have not heard a live person yet to tell me where my claim is in the processing queue. I am disappointed, hurt, and I feel helpless. I am a divorced single parent who receives no other income.

It's like I'm being punished for needing surgery. I have left messages on my case manager's VM, with no return call for 3 weeks now. I have tried every channel to contact them, a supervisor, and my HR team, but it seems like no one cares because it's not them. I work just like everyone else who pays into this program. Why am I being punished for this!? This makes absolutely no sense! When I get back to work, I am discontinuing my premiums to them. I can keep my own money and start a savings for times like this. MetLife needs to be investigated because as far as I see; they are thieves.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Suddenly after a few years my caseworker disappeared and I got a new one who doesn't return my calls. Has anyone else rejected a low lump sum buyout offer from MetLife and then got a 2nd (and hopefully better) offer??

Original review: July 5, 2017

After paying premiums for 23 years I recently filed a claim for Short term disability after having major surgery. I was mailed 2 checks and then they "Suspended" my claims. Numerous attempts to contact them were made and no response. I will be out of work until July 24th as per my surgeon. Having no income is not an option. There has been no reason as to why my claim is suspended. This is no way to run a business; especially after paying them monthly for past 23 years. I don't know what my next step is as they will not return my calls. I am danger of losing my home and that is not acceptable. I need some guidance as to what my next step would be. Thank you.

Original review: June 6, 2017

My husband had surgery in April, and then started radiation treatments. We completed all paperwork, doctors have completed paperwork twice - faxed it all in - three times as of last night. I called last night to get status update - woman told me it was cancelled May 15. Then, she told me we did not have disability insurance. After a couple more rounds with her, she had the wrong customer pulled up. When I asked to speak to a manager (I was still being very polite), she came back to the phone and asked, "He wants to know what you want" (word-for-word). Then, "He says you haven't submitted any medical information." Three separate times, I've faxed 38 pages to this company, once, I called and verified receipt the next morning - and was told they had received it. I notified their customer service, but as with many of the other complaints I've read - no answers, no calls back, no notifications. AMAZING!!! Time to get a lawyer!

Original review: May 12, 2017

I have std thru MetLife. As of April 28, 2017, my experience with them has been horrible. The customer service reps that initially have NO Idea What they are doing. Over the past couple days I have called MetLife and have been put on hold for no less than 10 minutes each time. Finally transferred. To my case manager, kept getting voice mail. Left more than 10 phone calls to her... Finally spoke to her today. She was unable to answer 1 very specific. Unfortunately this is the disability provider has chosen for our benefits. I would NOT recommend them to my worst enemy... Not satisfied at all...

Original review: May 3, 2017

I am pretty happy with MetLife. I had 2 herniated disc in my back, had surgery and 6 months later herniated one of them again. MetLife has been pretty good on both STD leaves. I will say though on the first one we had issues three times with them telling me they hadn't received documents and the doctor office showed me proof where they had already sent them. As in all service today, most is extremely lacking and it's up to the individual to stay on top of any company to make sure everything gets done. It's a pain in the butt but unfortunately that is reality. I would have given them a 5 if not for this as who wants to sit on the phone and make multiple calls trying to take care of things when in pain.

Original review: April 19, 2017

MetLife discontinued selling Disability Insurance as well as terminating its field force. Thus it likely that they will refuse LTD claims payments to conserve their capital. They stopped selling the product for a reason and Terminated their sales force. So it is unfortunate that when people need their benefits paid, this company will not reputably stand behind their product, nor treat customers with respect. In 2016 MetLife was also served with a fine of 25 million dollars for their agents misrepresenting and misleading retirement products - Variable Annuities. This information points to flawed business, and questionable continuation of MetLife. Prior articles note the "Too big to Fall" in court.

Original review: March 25, 2017

I am on short term disability since the 6 of march 2017 because of severe spinal stenosis. I went to my Dr. on the 8th of March who recommended abstaining from work until after the lumbar transforaminal, scheduled on the 21st of March, had taken effect. The subsequent medical evaluation is scheduled for the 3rd of April. I informed MetLife of all the relevant information on the 16th and opened a disability case. I received a letter on the 18th (postmarked) with a date of the 16th on the letter, saying I had three days from the date on the letter to submit medical documentation or my case would be closed. Obviously, that left me less than one day, as the mail comes in the afternoon. I was miraculously able to meet those demands. That is I contacted the doctor's office and had them submit paperwork Metlife had sent to them.

Afterward, I received numerous automated calls from MetLife on the 17th that could not be answered because their voice menus were inoperable, and repeated call to them went to voicemail, or were answered by an automated system that indicated they would call me back. I couldn't get in contact with MetLife but I made sure the doctor had received the paperwork and was going to submit it ASAP. I subsequently received a second letter on the 23rd postmarked on the 20th but this time the letter was dated the 17th of March 2017. According to this letter, I had three days (which had already expired by the time I received the letter) to get further medical documentation. I immediately called MetLife on the 23rd of March 2017, and spoke to representative Sandra, who assured me they could wait until the 3rd of April when my follow up with my Dr would occur.

I felt great until 6pm that evening, when a man named George from MetLife called and told me despite what I had already heard from Sandra a few hours earlier, my case would be closed. As you can guess, Verizon wireless says that the "call cannot be completed as dialed". In other words, that line is designed for them to reach you but not for you to reach them. Also, note that they called at 6pm on a Friday when business hours are over. MetLife's website is also having "technical problem" so that you can't register any complaints. So the conclusion I have reached is that MetLife has systematically made it very difficult for claims to be processed. I believe this is unethical and perhaps illegal, and I promise to get to the bottom and hold them accountable even if I have to call the District Attorney.

Original review: March 21, 2017

Just looking at all the negative responses to this company and wonder why nothing changes. This is the company my work institution has used and I had to pay into all those years of working (20?+), and now close to retirement I got injured and needed early retirement. I found out I would be able to get SSDI but it has taken forever to get responses from MetLife.

We finally even called the cooperate offices in NYC and then my case worker did call me the next day! But otherwise she is super slow and the message phone is a week old! Reminds me of that movie with Matt Damon where the insurance company denied all claims at first. So how do they get away with it. My Claims have been paid now but listening to all these stories makes me wonder how many more people have to go through these frustrations. I worked in a hospital where I loved taking care of people. I wish our country would have that work ethic for each other but I'm a dreamer.

Original review: March 1, 2017

Metlife STD is horrible. Takes a long time to process your claim... I didn't get a check for 6 weeks. Suspended my account because they said I didn't see my doctor every month... Shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get my benefits. Customer service is the worst.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Avoid buying MetLife. Worst customer service ever!! I had a auto accident. Absolute nightmare trying to get my short term disability. People are very rude to my doctor's office. I'm very embarrassed & frustrated. No manager will call you back and help you understand what they need and changes daily when you talk to a different person.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

Metlife declined my income protection claim due to not receiving regular medical treatment for my injury. The policy doesn't not state what "regular" treatment is. They have chosen to totally ignore specialist reports that state there is no treatment available including one they themselves commissioned. In a telephone conference they declared regular as being monthly, regardless of whether treatment is available or not. :-( They did however offer to settle for 30k without any claim of responsibility. The total claim is worth 102k. The amount offered was in line with what I had been told by other claimants to expect eg 30% of claim value. Would appear this is standard MetLife policy.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I have never experienced worse customer relations than I have with MetLife. I went for surgery on Nov 16th waited the 7 day waiting period. Today is Jan. 19th & I have not received a check since Dec. 19th. I have called 5 times first on Dec 30 was told my paperwork was received & I should hear something within a day or two. NO return phone call! Called again. Was put through to my claim handler of course no answer. Left a message. NO RETURN PHONE CALL! Called again. Was put through to my claim handler's supervisor & of course no one picked up the phone. Left a message & no return phone call! I have not been paid since December 19th. Today is January 19th. Very unhappy with MetLife!!! Do not know the supervisor's name that never returned my call but my claim handler that never returned my call is Yvette!!! DISSATISFIED BEYOND BELIEF. Lake Luzerne, NY. Forced to check 1 star but didn't want to check any!!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

I was taken out of work for being ill, my physician completed all appropriate paperwork and sent it to the case worker. I placed five calls to the caseworker who still has NEVER returns a call. They have been reviewing the paperwork for two weeks despite being told it would take 5 business days. There is zero compassion for the fact that the inability to financially plan is destroying my health, my credit, my ability to plan and care for my family.

Updated on 05/28/2017: Have been on STD for a period of time due to a chronic debilitating illness that prevents my return to work. At the beginning, MetLife had small issues but was fairly good. Now, it's a nightmare. Recently my claim was held over 6 weeks while they "reviewed" it, saying they were waiting for medical reports. After calling several times, they admitted they hadn't even requested the reports from the doctors in question. I was treated horribly by a case manager and requested a new one in a formal memo, then coincidentally got put thru an additional "independent review" holding up my claim again now for weeks.

They sent me letters demanding responses by a certain date, but the letter was mailed several days after it was typed (I saved the postage metered envelope for proof) and I never even received the demand until two days after the deadline. They set you up to fail, hold up claim payments, and speak to you like garbage. Don't purchase disability for yourself or your employees.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

I have patiently waited for MetLife to process my disability claim. I have been out since September due to anxiety, stress, and depression. I am doing everything to get better so I can get back to work. Been with my company for 11 years, but MetLife doesn't care about anything or anyone. Their adjuster never returns my calls (did 1 time) after all the calls I have made to them.

On November 2, 2016, the adjuster with MetLife did call and said she was waiting for records and she would call if anything was needed or any issues arose. On November 16, 2016, I get a letter from that same adjuster stating she couldn't get medical records from my doctor so my claim has been denied. I immediately called the adjuster, but like every time I call her, I get her voicemail. I left a message stating to her that if she would have called me, I would have been happy to assist her with getting what records she needed. I then called my doctor's office and was told they never received any request from MetLife for my records. So my doctor's office called MetLife and finally was able to get MetLife's medical records requests. My doctor's office then sent my records to MetLife on December 2, 2016 once my medical records were available.

I spoke with my doctor office on December 7, 2016 and advised that my employer called stating MetLife is stating they still don't have the medical records they requested. My doctor office states they faxed all records to MetLife on December 2, 2016. I asked my doctor's office to fax them again. My doctor's office records person stated she was faxing the request then with a letter asking that MetLife call myself and my doctor's office to let us know the records were received. Neither of us ever got a call from MetLife.

On December 9, 2016, I called MetLife and asked for a supervisor. I was told they are not able to give the supervisor's phone number to anyone. That is just absurd, I have never heard of anything like this. I asked if they received the records my doctor's office sent. The MetLife representative stated yes, they do have the records and they were received on December 7, 2016. I then requested to speak with a supervisor. I was told the supervisor and the adjuster were in a meeting and there was no one else I could speak with.

This has done nothing but bring my stress levels up and now depression is worse. I have a family and it's almost Christmas. I have yet to get any gifts for my wife or my children. My bills are coming in and I have no idea of how I am going to pay them. I am flat broke now. I haven't been paid since November 2, 2016 and that's the last day of my short term disability ran out. I have dealt with another company (The Standard) before and they were so fast as processing my claim. I don't understand why MetLife makes everything so difficult. It's just a game to them and they want to look good at denying claims.

Also, for those comments I saw on here from the former MetLife employees, please keep your thoughts to yourself. MefLife is a disgraceful and terrible company. They have done nothing but exacerbate my condition. On top of all of this, the medicines my doctor has put me on are making me sick. I am just asking for help. I didn't ask for my doctor to put me out of work and I am not asking for handouts. Just pay what is owed. I am willing to file a class action suit if my claim is not approved by next week. What will it hurt, I've been told if claim isn't approved by next week I am terminated from my job.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

After finally getting approved for LTD, after an extended review period, MetLife has failed to either send a random monthly direct deposit payment or, on three occasions, failed to process my 3% COLA. Each time I eventually got my correct payments, albeit late, without interest and after numerous phone calls in which I repeated the same damned information. Last year, a case manager informed me that I didn't return their medical and financial check-in forms. But I never received the forms! How convenient that these forms were lost in the mail in the spring. Not even Christmas season!

Both last year and this year, I received letters stating that my November LTD deposit was to be over $500 LESS than October's, despite the fact that my COLA is scheduled for November 1 and therefore my November deposit was to be $80 MORE. I was promised next-business-day callback after this year's yet unresolved snafu but spoke to two reps the following day (after no callback) who explained that I had to speak to my case manager. They again promised next-day callback and their track record regarding callbacks is hardly reliable.

MetLife expert review by Matthew Brodsky

MetLife is a well-known insurance company that has become famous for its commercials using characters from the "Peanuts" comic strip. It offers a variety of insurances, including disability insurance.

• Offers real life stories on its website: Users can watch videos featuring people who became disabled so that they can learn more about disability insurance.

• FAQ and tips online: MetLife offers a FAQ section and tips for dealing with disability insurance on its website.

• Offers individual supplements: Consumers can purchase the exact insurance they need rather than depending on an employer-offered insurance plan.

• Offers both short- and long-term insurance: People who are disabled for a long period of time don't have to worry about their benefits running out.

• Online calculator helps people figure out their insurance needs: MetLife's online calculator predicts how much insurance people will need if they become disabled for various periods of time.

• Best for: People with chronic conditions, people who have been injured and people recovering from surgery.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky