1.22/5
Based on 178 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

MetLife Disability Insurance

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

276 MetLife Disability Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 27, 2018

Short Term Disability claim suspended. I have eye condition that I found out is a part of autoimmune disease. Almost went blind and short term disability claims specialist said the nurse wants to know why I cant work as Reading teacher and my claim is suspended. I don’t know any Reading teacher that can work if they can’t see. I am not sure why MetLife thinks this is okay to do but I will file a complaint with Attorney General's office right after I leave this post.

Uveitis autoimmune disease is rare condition found by Ophthalmologist and Rheumatologist. In other words you cannot fake this condition. It is found in your blood HLA-B27 gene. They paid the claim for 4 weeks and 2 days. I am owed for 7 more weeks. Thank God I am feeling better because I will never see that 7 weeks of pay. I wish I didn’t have a medical condition. MetLife took advantage of a woman who is almost blind. Very sad.

Original review: June 16, 2018

My story is the same as everyone else’s on here. They cover about 4 weeks of disability and then stop and say you’re healed. But, my dr’s including the Mayo Clinic have not allowed me to return to work. I have the use of one arm & one leg. I’m currently in the appeals process, they’ve made what should be a time to get rested and we’ll absolutely hell on earth. I’ve gotten letters from work that I’d be fired if I didn’t submit such and such documentation within 10 days and that I was on an unapproved leave, that turned out to be an error from MetLife. I got that notice on my son’s birthday.

I have applied for ssdi, and am going to contact an attorney Monday, because they too want me to fill out that long useless form that costs $400.00. Yes that is the #. This will not guarantee my job, or my benefits. MetLife is the worst company. They will not pay you! I get phone calls from them... with a first name & a generic call back # no extension, tell me how am I supposed to get in touch with that person?

Once I get through the automatic system the idiots who I speak to say I have to speak to the first idiot who called me, and they’ll have them call me. I have 5 dr’s visits next week lasting over an hour each. You think There’s a chance I might miss that call? Here is a copy of one of my dr’s notes, that wasn’t accepted. They have all my records. Including my physical therapy records.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 11, 2018

I said that if I have problems with my claim that I would update my review. Well I had NO PROBLEMS with my STD insurance which was paid by my employer. The MetLife LTD claim on the other hand is done directly thru MetLife and boy did the games begin when that process started. FIRST AND FOREMOST make sure that everything you do on the phone is recorded by you and be sure to state that you want all conversations in writing.

What they tell you on the phone will be in double talk and they will tell you what you want to hear, but will not do what they are telling you. In other words, they will use any stall and delay tactics that they can come up with to not approve your claim, all the while telling you that things are going great and we just need to "clarify" a few things. DO NOT TRUST your representative (if you can get them to even acknowledge you), they will give you as much misinformation as their computer screen and training will allow them to do. The first thing they did with me was inform me that my employer paid LTD policy that I had was not the actual policy and their policy overrides anything that your employer gives you. When I called out my employer on this, all they said was what they gave me is what MetLife gave them.

There is a clause in the policy that states if there are "any" discrepancies in the two policies, that the MetLife provided policy takes precedence. MetLife however will NOT give you a copy of this policy as by law it is the responsibility of your employer to provide you with the policy. Do you see the beginnings of a no win situation here, MetLife can re-write the policy wording at any time and their policy takes precedence over what your employer is paying for and has.

Don't blame your employer, as it is MetLife that is playing the games. Your employer is just giving you a false sense of security by waiving this benefit in front of you as a hiring tactic. My cardiologist of over 10 years will not fill out the physician statement as almost all of the questions do not pertain to cardiac care. She referred me to my primary care physician again of over 10 years and my PCP agreed to complete the forms. This took about 1.5 hours in her office and I had to pay an extended office visit and pay for the form filing fee. MetLife rejected these forms from my Primary Care Physician and sent the forms to my cardiologist to fill out. My cardiologist again told them she will not fill out a form asking if I can bend, hold things, stand, sit, walk, etc. as this is NOT things that a cardiologist treats.

So MetLife is saying that I am non-compliant and denied. Now keep in mind that this same PCP filled out the mass of forms for SSDI and my SSDI claim was approved in 3 weeks. MetLife apparently feels that they are of a greater good than the Government and rejects my PCP as a qualified doctor. Here's the kicker that really irritates the hell out of me. MetLife LTD deducts any payments from SSDI from their payout. SSDI is paying MORE than what MetLife would be paying so the amount that they would pay is the minimum which is $100.00 a month.

However the Feds require a minimum of $88.00 to be deducted per month for (sick) pay. MetLife is stalling a payment to me in the amount of $12.00 a month. So for about the price of a "value" meal at McDonald's once a month, MetLife wants to play games and stall and deny my claim. If you have a MetLife LTD "benefit" with the company you work for, just keep in mind that you will most likely NOT be able to use it. I have 29 stents in my coronary arteries and I have had 5 arteries by-passed, 3 of which so far have scarred closed in less than 3 years.

I had a meeting with all of my surgeons and my cardiologist and have been told that all they can do is strong medications to give me as much time as possible. There is NO way of knowing how much time I have left, and there is nothing more they may be able to do with stenting and angioplasty. Another bypass or transplant is not possible due to the extent of the artery disease that I have. This is the way MetLife treats a dying person, just imagine how they are going to treat YOU!!

Original review: June 2, 2018

I get MetLife through work, my father has ESRD, and I am driving 4 hours to help take care of him. I am having a very hard time dealing with this. I am diagnosed with major depression and anxiety, my doctor sent a letter to MetLife saying that I needed short term disability. I have seen therapists , psychologists, and have been on several medications. MetLife denied my claim, saying depression is not something they can approve, so I have to go back to work against my doctor's request. The case worker has been rude, and didn't seem to care. I have been paying for this benefit through work for 15 years and have received nothing but grief from this company.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Well it is very sad when your employer gives you this security net of long term disability from MetLife and you think it is good to have. So I was on short term and that was fine. So I filed my long term, because I am unable to work. I give them all the paperwork and then some. My case manger calls me and says, "Well your medical used was good for your short term claim but not now. You are denied. Feel free to submit an appeal" What a damn Scan!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: May 17, 2018

I am a Army Veteran and was deployed in Iraq back in 2004-2005. During my time I was on convoy protection for fuel trucks. Last year I got into a program where I was diagnosed with PTSD, TBI, and anxiety disorder. The effects of these problems caused me issues where I was unable to work and I was even approved for STD. I was actually still receiving for my claim until the start of March of this year. They suddenly stopped paying and stated there is not enough medical evidence to support my claim. This is funny because again I was already receiving this benefit prior. My current Therapist, who also works for VA had been submitting documents to support my claim. My Therapist wondered why this stopped when there was no problems prior. I have yet to receive a honest answer from them as to why this changed.

My Therapist recently submitted a set of documents with the notes about our sessions as was requested by a MetLife supervisor. I was informed today that their clinical team still stands that there is not enough medical evidence to support my claim. I asked what kind of answer these people are wanting when it comes to PTSD. Even my Therapist said that they don't seem to have a clue what PTSD actually is or what symptoms a person has to have. I have been trying to resolve this as quickly as possible and now I can't pay for anything. I do have a small disability rating with the VA because they agree that I am disabled but not enough to even help enough to pay my rent. I have my Senator, Congressmen, DOL, Attorney General, Office of the Insurance Commissioner, and work directly with IAVA. They tell me how I can place a appeal again but that my claim can't be approved because of insufficient medical evidence.

I will be making sure to tell my story everywhere I go until they take care of these issues. They actually have good people that do seem to care but it does not matter because it's the supervisors that are the worst. I don't know who these people are in the clinical staff but they don't have a clue how PTSD works. As according to the several doctors that I have seen there is no smoking gun, there is no test, every person is different, some show different signs than others, but in all cases it can only be treated. I will most likely be taking this to some of the major news organizations to bring this to light for the rest of the US population. I also have the Attorney General's office forming an investigation into all of this. Do not let friends or family use this company and show them that they can't treat Veterans this way!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I was on short disability due to pre-pregnancy complications and needed to be on strict bedrest for months along with me being in an out of the hospital. This caused me to have severe muscle atrophy and lower back pain, along with postpartum depression. I required months of physical therapy to regain my strength. When my short term disability claim was exhausted and I went 2 weeks into LTD. Since I pay into LTD with MetLife I was able to file a claim. My claim with MetLife was denied after their physician read through my physician's notes and I was told that the reason why my claim was denied was that, "Their physician felt that physical therapy for muscle atrophy from months of bedrest and postpartum depression diagnosed by my physician were not sufficient in his eyes".

The only reason his assessment differs from my physicians assessment is only if he is questioning my physician's qualifications without examining me or speaking to our physician directly. He only has the notes to go by and both the details stated above were in the notes, as I have copies of the notes. I do not believe they have my best interest and most of all they are questioning my physicians diagnosis based on "feelings" and not the facts that are in the notes. I am very disappointed that I can not depend on a company that I have been paying out of pocket for their services for years.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I purchased MetLife Long Term Disability Insurance thru my employer and paid every month for 13 years. I became disabled due to a condition of my spine that required surgery. I never got better or was able to work again. I had to fill out a lot of paperwork and be seen by several doctors but I have received my disability claim. I have been paid monthly for over 10 years now. I do have to get my doctor to do an annual exam for them regarding my condition but that's not a big deal. I have been offered a cash-out option but don't have the exact info on that as of yet. Bottom line is that if you are verifiably disabled and your doctors agree and you are diligent in fighting for your claim then they will probably pay you. No company likes to pay claims, that's now how they make money but this company is not a scam.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I was out on STD in 2012 and again in 2018 with NO PROBLEMS what so ever. They sent me forms ONE time to fill out. My Doctor filled out the paperwork as best she could and I sent them into MetLife. Never received a phone call, never received any other paperwork. My paychecks and my benefits continued to be paid with NO PROBLEMS. In 2012 the claim was for 3 months, and the current claim will be for 6 months. I have another month to go for my LTD paperwork to arrive, but I don't anticipate any problems. If you have a serious medical condition and complete the paperwork they request, at least for me, there does not appear to be any problems such as is all over this site.

Would be glad to update this should I have any problems with the process. My policy is thru a group employer policy. Also I was approved for SSDI 3 weeks after my initial application with NO ATTORNEY and my cardiologist does NOT believe in the SS system and would not do any of the paperwork. I simply sent in my medical records for the last decade and answered their phone call questions honestly, and returned any paperwork requested promptly and via registered mail. I have to wonder if the complaints here may arise out of not doing things properly or timely. You do have to take responsibility for your own claim as customer service is no longer a common thing. In fact it is pretty rare these days.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

For the second time in 3 months I have had to go out of work on short term disability. Both times MetLife has been absolutely unbearable. The way they speak to me is intolerable, unprofessional. I am 7.5 months pregnant and dealing with the stress of MetLife is harder than actually being at work. It’s so disheartening and absolutely absurd. They accuse me of being dishonest about my condition, claim they never received documentation that has been sent multiples times. Additionally, they want a doctor to doctor consult and after several attempts from my physician they don’t call back and instead harass me. MetLife is a sad excuse for a business and they lack compassion and professionalism for people who are in grave situations. If my company had another option I would take it because MetLife is a joke! I don’t want to be out of work, sick and stressed during my pregnancy but they insist I do.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

In 2014 when one of the METLIFE (Insurance company) Senior manager sold me Policy no **. He promised me saving return accumulating to over 10 lakhs if I continue to pay my yearly premium of approx. 50,000 every year. Along with this endowment lifesaving plan which will continue even after maturity of Plan post 10 years, I was also provided and was assured health insurance as per policy. I got health insurance copy from METLIFE Only in year 2014 till early 2015; Since 2015 I have been chasing and calling the PNB Metlife on emails and grievance and have not been issued any renewals on health insurance policy or any benefit.

I raised the grievance to PNB both (GRO@pnbmetlife.co.in & "INDIASERVICE@PNBMETLIFE.CO.IN" ); I came to know that PNB Metlife has not taken any action on Prasanjit ** and from one sales manager, I came to know that PNB Metlife promotes its managers to speak lies to customers to get investment and have been cheating people from India. They are criminals in white collars; I have written this complaint to India, PMO office and MetLife UK, but all these organisations are unable to provide any response or help; India is country of injustice which allows cheats like PNB MetLife to roam free and cheat innocent people of India.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I applied for long term disability with MetLife May 2017. I faxed my Dr papers. I was denied 3 days later. I since then filed a appeal with more Dr letter. More medical records. The person over my appeal called. Did another phone interview. After the 45min on phone she says they have to again speak with my Drs. Then by saying it can take up to 45 days or more before I get a response... MetLife is a scam. If they do pay it will go back to 2016. Sad all this company are ripping off the Little people.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

After going out of work the end of September 2017 due to severe migraines and my boss telling me, "If you were not on FMLA, I would write you up". I began getting the migraines daily and could not work at all, so per my doctor he took me out of work and I applied for short term disability. After MetLife requesting several documents from me and my doctor, they denied me, telling me it had nothing to do with workers compensation or work. Well, no of course not, this all came from severe migraines and if I knew this from the beginning I would have never continued to pay for your fake disability insurance.

Do not ever trust this company they are a scam, they are happy to take your money, but when it comes to giving it back to you when you are in need - forget it - you will never get out of them what you put into them. Please read any and all information carefully and make sure that you read the fine print, because you will not see anywhere in the fine print that you will be denied, but you will.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I pay for disability insurance through payroll deductions. However my employer is involved in all transactions but they do not pay a dime. I was off work for 9 months in 2017 and had to pay my employer $127.42 each month I was off totaling approximately $1000. I was on workman compensation for an on the job injury but my employer paid my elective insurance cost unbeknownst to me totaling $3,879. I had to pay these funds by 12/31/2017 although I was off work for several months. I feel that the employer should not converse with the carrier representative unless I request their assistance. MET Life informed me I cannot collect disability payments while I am off work and receiving workman compensation payments. If I pay for disability insurance I should have been allowed to collect it.

MET Life used the Illinois law that an employee can't receive payments from both entities. If I were sending my disability payments directly to MET Life I would have received workman compensation and short term disability payments. MET Life is in contact with my employer at every turn although I am paying 100% of my premiums for STD.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

MetLife may be one of the worst companies to deal with that I know. They delay and confuse simple process, require unreal documentation, record every conversation, look for every way to discourage both the insured and the doctors working with you to get a denial of benefits regardless of the obvious conditions and situations. Do not expect to be able to obtain your benefits without a huge battle.

It is even hard to keep your insurance benefits with the continual questioning and harassment from MetLife. They seem to imply you are in the wrong, lead doctors with misleading questions and delay in every way they can conceive. They act as if you are doing something wrong by receiving your rightful benefits. Do not pay for this insurance. When you need the benefits, the stress and process is beyond what any good company with ethics would ever do to loyal customers. You pay for the coverage, they simply want to deny you in any way they can.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Do not get insurance from this company!!! #MetLife are the worst, almost criminal. They will ask you for documents, more documents and will not give you a straight answer to the status of your claims and will try to tire you out. I have been going back and forth for half a year on a disability insurance that I have had for a decade where I made diligent payments etc... I gave them all my financial docs for 3-4 years as big as 2 dictionaries... And they have had it now for over a month and can't give me an answer... Now they want my last month's docs and more docs signed - the ones I already signed but now with today's date now... Etc... The same one they had me sign months ago but now with an updated signed date. Get it? They just want to tie you up in paperwork in hopes that you will get tired. This is a criminal enterprise and I would not recommend getting insurance here unless you want to have a heart attack.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I was denied for Short-Term Disability (STD) under the University System of Georgia group policy because I had PTSD and took an SSRI for a year. MetLife said I couldn't exclude PTSD coverage because it was a group policy. They encouraged me to dispute the denial. HOWEVER, after I tweeted about it, two different corporate representatives in the Statement of Health division called and told me all disputes related to PTSD or Anxiety are denied. Anyone who has had one of these conditions "fails" a "pass/fail" evaluation. Therein lies the fraud. A fake dispute process means MetLife is defrauding patients and insurance companies because the dispute letter must be written by the applicant's psychiatrist--which costs $$$.

I recorded my calls with MetLife, which is legal and admissible in court in Georgia, and am waiting for the GA Insurance Commissioner to complete an investigation before I pursue civil action. I'm sure Blue Cross et al. would like to know they've been paying untold sums of money for dispute letters. Perhaps a class action is in the works for the fraud, which is the more winnable case, or the more important but more challenging issue of discrimination against ** and abuse survivors (and those of us who went to Iraq).

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

My wife short term disability was denied by MetLife on November 21, 2017. She was injured in a motor vehicle accident in July 2017, and treated by chiropractor, medical doctor, and neurologist. She has bulging disc in the neck; shoulder back, and is still in significant pain, back, neck, shoulder, headache, dizziness vertigo short term memory loss etc from concussion. I took over the tasks that have become too difficult for my wife to do. I watch her suffer as she tries to do simple things that was normal. She forgets why she got up from a chair or mid sentence what she was saying. She is unable to help our 4 kids with homework although they has a graduate degree. Yet MetLife disregard her neurologist report. Added to that, they lied and claimed they have not received documents from the doctor who originally took her off work.

The doctor, Dr **...faxed the completed form plus all office notes that you requested. My wife is still paying her employer to maintain benefits with MetLife, but MetLife refuse to pay. No one should pay these heartless thieves. They have caused my wife much distress and exacerbated her illness. We have to hire a lawyer and pay which is not right at all. She should get what is rightfully hers instead of more pain and suffering. She was injured in an accident that was not her fault and now is being injured again by any unscrupulous company representative "Jessica".

You know very well that you received documents from Dr **. Be honest and do what's right. They sent a stack of papers for long term after subjecting her to a lengthy interview over the phone. There is no way she can fill those herself. Plus if they denied short term, they will not approve long term. She would be at work if she can. Two doctors state that she is unable to work at this time, yet MetLife is saying that she should have gone right back to work through all her pain etc. Laws need to be changed to protect people against these beast entities who take advantage of people when they are at their weakest. Shame on you MetLife.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

After being 5 weeks off for becoming sepsis from a emergency hernia mesh removal. MetLife has yet to approve my claim going on week 6 and no money. Luckily I had savings and I was able to pay my bills and have food no thanks to MetLife. I called to see where my claim was in the process the "specialist" NOT!!! Never knew what was going on, every single one of them couldn't tell me. They said a case manager would call within 7 to 10 business days never heard from her at all. So I'm in week 6 won't hold my breath...

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I had surgery in August and have nothing but trouble with Met. My caseworker never answers her phone and the other agents tell you something different every time you call. Have had the same issue as everyone concerning paperwork. This has been a nightmare and I get no support from employer. Other coworkers have had the same problems. I had 5 hours surgery and 6 inches of colon removed and have to wear bag and they treat me awful. I did speak to one agent and she found paperwork in the wrong folder duh... That they had been saying they didn't receive. Michelle ** is my case worker and she called the other night at 8:00 at night and guess what she wanted... Paperwork! I hate this company. Would not recommend them to my worst enemy! We need to file a lawsuit against this company... Who is with me?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I had to have urgent surgery done and I went through the proper channels to get paperwork for Metlife, FMLA, and time off for my employer in order to take my leave. Well, it has been 5 weeks out from my surgery and I am still healing. I have yet to receive a payment for the previous weeks at all. I have worked for my company and paid into this program for 3 years and when I finally need them to do their jobs; they are stating several times over that they did not receive the paperwork I sent them BEFORE I went on leave. I had to send my HR Director fax receipts of the items I sent them because they made her believe that I did not send them. I have had my doctor's office send the paperwork they have required for a total of 4 times and I have not heard a live person yet to tell me where my claim is in the processing queue. I am disappointed, hurt, and I feel helpless. I am a divorced single parent who receives no other income.

It's like I'm being punished for needing surgery. I have left messages on my case manager's VM, with no return call for 3 weeks now. I have tried every channel to contact them, a supervisor, and my HR team, but it seems like no one cares because it's not them. I work just like everyone else who pays into this program. Why am I being punished for this!? This makes absolutely no sense! When I get back to work, I am discontinuing my premiums to them. I can keep my own money and start a savings for times like this. MetLife needs to be investigated because as far as I see; they are thieves.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Suddenly after a few years my caseworker disappeared and I got a new one who doesn't return my calls. Has anyone else rejected a low lump sum buyout offer from MetLife and then got a 2nd (and hopefully better) offer??

Original review: July 5, 2017

After paying premiums for 23 years I recently filed a claim for Short term disability after having major surgery. I was mailed 2 checks and then they "Suspended" my claims. Numerous attempts to contact them were made and no response. I will be out of work until July 24th as per my surgeon. Having no income is not an option. There has been no reason as to why my claim is suspended. This is no way to run a business; especially after paying them monthly for past 23 years. I don't know what my next step is as they will not return my calls. I am danger of losing my home and that is not acceptable. I need some guidance as to what my next step would be. Thank you.

Original review: June 6, 2017

My husband had surgery in April, and then started radiation treatments. We completed all paperwork, doctors have completed paperwork twice - faxed it all in - three times as of last night. I called last night to get status update - woman told me it was cancelled May 15. Then, she told me we did not have disability insurance. After a couple more rounds with her, she had the wrong customer pulled up. When I asked to speak to a manager (I was still being very polite), she came back to the phone and asked, "He wants to know what you want" (word-for-word). Then, "He says you haven't submitted any medical information." Three separate times, I've faxed 38 pages to this company, once, I called and verified receipt the next morning - and was told they had received it. I notified their customer service, but as with many of the other complaints I've read - no answers, no calls back, no notifications. AMAZING!!! Time to get a lawyer!

Original review: May 12, 2017

I have std thru MetLife. As of April 28, 2017, my experience with them has been horrible. The customer service reps that initially have NO Idea What they are doing. Over the past couple days I have called MetLife and have been put on hold for no less than 10 minutes each time. Finally transferred. To my case manager, kept getting voice mail. Left more than 10 phone calls to her... Finally spoke to her today. She was unable to answer 1 very specific. Unfortunately this is the disability provider has chosen for our benefits. I would NOT recommend them to my worst enemy... Not satisfied at all...

Original review: May 3, 2017

I am pretty happy with MetLife. I had 2 herniated disc in my back, had surgery and 6 months later herniated one of them again. MetLife has been pretty good on both STD leaves. I will say though on the first one we had issues three times with them telling me they hadn't received documents and the doctor office showed me proof where they had already sent them. As in all service today, most is extremely lacking and it's up to the individual to stay on top of any company to make sure everything gets done. It's a pain in the butt but unfortunately that is reality. I would have given them a 5 if not for this as who wants to sit on the phone and make multiple calls trying to take care of things when in pain.

Original review: April 19, 2017

MetLife discontinued selling Disability Insurance as well as terminating its field force. Thus it likely that they will refuse LTD claims payments to conserve their capital. They stopped selling the product for a reason and Terminated their sales force. So it is unfortunate that when people need their benefits paid, this company will not reputably stand behind their product, nor treat customers with respect. In 2016 MetLife was also served with a fine of 25 million dollars for their agents misrepresenting and misleading retirement products - Variable Annuities. This information points to flawed business, and questionable continuation of MetLife. Prior articles note the "Too big to Fall" in court.

Original review: March 25, 2017

I am on short term disability since the 6 of march 2017 because of severe spinal stenosis. I went to my Dr. on the 8th of March who recommended abstaining from work until after the lumbar transforaminal, scheduled on the 21st of March, had taken effect. The subsequent medical evaluation is scheduled for the 3rd of April. I informed MetLife of all the relevant information on the 16th and opened a disability case. I received a letter on the 18th (postmarked) with a date of the 16th on the letter, saying I had three days from the date on the letter to submit medical documentation or my case would be closed. Obviously, that left me less than one day, as the mail comes in the afternoon. I was miraculously able to meet those demands. That is I contacted the doctor's office and had them submit paperwork Metlife had sent to them.

Afterward, I received numerous automated calls from MetLife on the 17th that could not be answered because their voice menus were inoperable, and repeated call to them went to voicemail, or were answered by an automated system that indicated they would call me back. I couldn't get in contact with MetLife but I made sure the doctor had received the paperwork and was going to submit it ASAP. I subsequently received a second letter on the 23rd postmarked on the 20th but this time the letter was dated the 17th of March 2017. According to this letter, I had three days (which had already expired by the time I received the letter) to get further medical documentation. I immediately called MetLife on the 23rd of March 2017, and spoke to representative Sandra, who assured me they could wait until the 3rd of April when my follow up with my Dr would occur.

I felt great until 6pm that evening, when a man named George from MetLife called and told me despite what I had already heard from Sandra a few hours earlier, my case would be closed. As you can guess, Verizon wireless says that the "call cannot be completed as dialed". In other words, that line is designed for them to reach you but not for you to reach them. Also, note that they called at 6pm on a Friday when business hours are over. MetLife's website is also having "technical problem" so that you can't register any complaints. So the conclusion I have reached is that MetLife has systematically made it very difficult for claims to be processed. I believe this is unethical and perhaps illegal, and I promise to get to the bottom and hold them accountable even if I have to call the District Attorney.

Original review: March 21, 2017

Just looking at all the negative responses to this company and wonder why nothing changes. This is the company my work institution has used and I had to pay into all those years of working (20?+), and now close to retirement I got injured and needed early retirement. I found out I would be able to get SSDI but it has taken forever to get responses from MetLife.

We finally even called the cooperate offices in NYC and then my case worker did call me the next day! But otherwise she is super slow and the message phone is a week old! Reminds me of that movie with Matt Damon where the insurance company denied all claims at first. So how do they get away with it. My Claims have been paid now but listening to all these stories makes me wonder how many more people have to go through these frustrations. I worked in a hospital where I loved taking care of people. I wish our country would have that work ethic for each other but I'm a dreamer.

Original review: March 1, 2017

Metlife STD is horrible. Takes a long time to process your claim... I didn't get a check for 6 weeks. Suspended my account because they said I didn't see my doctor every month... Shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get my benefits. Customer service is the worst.

MetLife expert review by Matthew Brodsky

MetLife is a well-known insurance company that has become famous for its commercials using characters from the "Peanuts" comic strip. It offers a variety of insurances, including disability insurance.

• Offers real life stories on its website: Users can watch videos featuring people who became disabled so that they can learn more about disability insurance.

• FAQ and tips online: MetLife offers a FAQ section and tips for dealing with disability insurance on its website.

• Offers individual supplements: Consumers can purchase the exact insurance they need rather than depending on an employer-offered insurance plan.

• Offers both short- and long-term insurance: People who are disabled for a long period of time don't have to worry about their benefits running out.

• Online calculator helps people figure out their insurance needs: MetLife's online calculator predicts how much insurance people will need if they become disabled for various periods of time.

• Best for: People with chronic conditions, people who have been injured and people recovering from surgery.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky