MetLife Disability Insurance
  • 1 star
Based on 163 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

MetLife Disability Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 27, 2017

261 MetLife Disability Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Do not get insurance from this company!!! #MetLife are the worst, almost criminal. They will ask you for documents, more documents and will not give you a straight answer to the status of your claims and will try to tire you out. I have been going back and forth for half a year on a disability insurance that I have had for a decade where I made diligent payments etc... I gave them all my financial docs for 3-4 years as big as 2 dictionaries... And they have had it now for over a month and can't give me an answer... Now they want my last month's docs and more docs signed - the ones I already signed but now with today's date now... Etc... The same one they had me sign months ago but now with an updated signed date. Get it? They just want to tie you up in paperwork in hopes that you will get tired. This is a criminal enterprise and I would not recommend getting insurance here unless you want to have a heart attack.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I was denied for Short-Term Disability (STD) under the University System of Georgia group policy because I had PTSD and took an SSRI for a year. MetLife said I couldn't exclude PTSD coverage because it was a group policy. They encouraged me to dispute the denial. HOWEVER, after I tweeted about it, two different corporate representatives in the Statement of Health division called and told me all disputes related to PTSD or Anxiety are denied. Anyone who has had one of these conditions "fails" a "pass/fail" evaluation. Therein lies the fraud. A fake dispute process means MetLife is defrauding patients and insurance companies because the dispute letter must be written by the applicant's psychiatrist--which costs $$$.

I recorded my calls with MetLife, which is legal and admissible in court in Georgia, and am waiting for the GA Insurance Commissioner to complete an investigation before I pursue civil action. I'm sure Blue Cross et al. would like to know they've been paying untold sums of money for dispute letters. Perhaps a class action is in the works for the fraud, which is the more winnable case, or the more important but more challenging issue of discrimination against rape and abuse survivors (and those of us who went to Iraq).

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

My wife short term disability was denied by MetLife on November 21, 2017. She was injured in a motor vehicle accident in July 2017, and treated by chiropractor, medical doctor, and neurologist. She has bulging disc in the neck; shoulder back, and is still in significant pain, back, neck, shoulder, headache, dizziness vertigo short term memory loss etc from concussion. I took over the tasks that have become too difficult for my wife to do. I watch her suffer as she tries to do simple things that was normal. She forgets why she got up from a chair or mid sentence what she was saying. She is unable to help our 4 kids with homework although they has a graduate degree. Yet MetLife disregard her neurologist report. Added to that, they lied and claimed they have not received documents from the doctor who originally took her off work.

The doctor, Dr **...faxed the completed form plus all office notes that you requested. My wife is still paying her employer to maintain benefits with MetLife, but MetLife refuse to pay. No one should pay these heartless thieves. They have caused my wife much distress and exacerbated her illness. We have to hire a lawyer and pay which is not right at all. She should get what is rightfully hers instead of more pain and suffering. She was injured in an accident that was not her fault and now is being injured again by any unscrupulous company representative "Jessica".

You know very well that you received documents from Dr **. Be honest and do what's right. They sent a stack of papers for long term after subjecting her to a lengthy interview over the phone. There is no way she can fill those herself. Plus if they denied short term, they will not approve long term. She would be at work if she can. Two doctors state that she is unable to work at this time, yet MetLife is saying that she should have gone right back to work through all her pain etc. Laws need to be changed to protect people against these beast entities who take advantage of people when they are at their weakest. Shame on you MetLife.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

After being 5 weeks off for becoming sepsis from a emergency hernia mesh removal. MetLife has yet to approve my claim going on week 6 and no money. Luckily I had savings and I was able to pay my bills and have food no thanks to MetLife. I called to see where my claim was in the process the "specialist" NOT!!! Never knew what was going on, every single one of them couldn't tell me. They said a case manager would call within 7 to 10 business days never heard from her at all. So I'm in week 6 won't hold my breath...

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I had surgery in August and have nothing but trouble with Met. My caseworker never answers her phone and the other agents tell you something different every time you call. Have had the same issue as everyone concerning paperwork. This has been a nightmare and I get no support from employer. Other coworkers have had the same problems. I had 5 hours surgery and 6 inches of colon removed and have to wear bag and they treat me awful. I did speak to one agent and she found paperwork in the wrong folder duh... That they had been saying they didn't receive. Michelle ** is my case worker and she called the other night at 8:00 at night and guess what she wanted... Paperwork! I hate this company. Would not recommend them to my worst enemy! We need to file a lawsuit against this company... Who is with me?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I had to have urgent surgery done and I went through the proper channels to get paperwork for Metlife, FMLA, and time off for my employer in order to take my leave. Well, it has been 5 weeks out from my surgery and I am still healing. I have yet to receive a payment for the previous weeks at all. I have worked for my company and paid into this program for 3 years and when I finally need them to do their jobs; they are stating several times over that they did not receive the paperwork I sent them BEFORE I went on leave. I had to send my HR Director fax receipts of the items I sent them because they made her believe that I did not send them. I have had my doctor's office send the paperwork they have required for a total of 4 times and I have not heard a live person yet to tell me where my claim is in the processing queue. I am disappointed, hurt, and I feel helpless. I am a divorced single parent who receives no other income.

It's like I'm being punished for needing surgery. I have left messages on my case manager's VM, with no return call for 3 weeks now. I have tried every channel to contact them, a supervisor, and my HR team, but it seems like no one cares because it's not them. I work just like everyone else who pays into this program. Why am I being punished for this!? This makes absolutely no sense! When I get back to work, I am discontinuing my premiums to them. I can keep my own money and start a savings for times like this. MetLife needs to be investigated because as far as I see; they are thieves.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Suddenly after a few years my caseworker disappeared and I got a new one who doesn't return my calls. Has anyone else rejected a low lump sum buyout offer from MetLife and then got a 2nd (and hopefully better) offer??

Original review: July 5, 2017

After paying premiums for 23 years I recently filed a claim for Short term disability after having major surgery. I was mailed 2 checks and then they "Suspended" my claims. Numerous attempts to contact them were made and no response. I will be out of work until July 24th as per my surgeon. Having no income is not an option. There has been no reason as to why my claim is suspended. This is no way to run a business; especially after paying them monthly for past 23 years. I don't know what my next step is as they will not return my calls. I am danger of losing my home and that is not acceptable. I need some guidance as to what my next step would be. Thank you.

Original review: June 6, 2017

My husband had surgery in April, and then started radiation treatments. We completed all paperwork, doctors have completed paperwork twice - faxed it all in - three times as of last night. I called last night to get status update - woman told me it was cancelled May 15. Then, she told me we did not have disability insurance. After a couple more rounds with her, she had the wrong customer pulled up. When I asked to speak to a manager (I was still being very polite), she came back to the phone and asked, "He wants to know what you want" (word-for-word). Then, "He says you haven't submitted any medical information." Three separate times, I've faxed 38 pages to this company, once, I called and verified receipt the next morning - and was told they had received it. I notified their customer service, but as with many of the other complaints I've read - no answers, no calls back, no notifications. AMAZING!!! Time to get a lawyer!

Original review: May 12, 2017

I have std thru MetLife. As of April 28, 2017, my experience with them has been horrible. The customer service reps that initially have NO Idea What they are doing. Over the past couple days I have called MetLife and have been put on hold for no less than 10 minutes each time. Finally transferred. To my case manager, kept getting voice mail. Left more than 10 phone calls to her... Finally spoke to her today. She was unable to answer 1 very specific. Unfortunately this is the disability provider has chosen for our benefits. I would NOT recommend them to my worst enemy... Not satisfied at all...

Original review: May 3, 2017

I am pretty happy with MetLife. I had 2 herniated disc in my back, had surgery and 6 months later herniated one of them again. MetLife has been pretty good on both STD leaves. I will say though on the first one we had issues three times with them telling me they hadn't received documents and the doctor office showed me proof where they had already sent them. As in all service today, most is extremely lacking and it's up to the individual to stay on top of any company to make sure everything gets done. It's a pain in the butt but unfortunately that is reality. I would have given them a 5 if not for this as who wants to sit on the phone and make multiple calls trying to take care of things when in pain.

Original review: April 19, 2017

MetLife discontinued selling Disability Insurance as well as terminating its field force. Thus it likely that they will refuse LTD claims payments to conserve their capital. They stopped selling the product for a reason and Terminated their sales force. So it is unfortunate that when people need their benefits paid, this company will not reputably stand behind their product, nor treat customers with respect. In 2016 MetLife was also served with a fine of 25 million dollars for their agents misrepresenting and misleading retirement products - Variable Annuities. This information points to flawed business, and questionable continuation of MetLife. Prior articles note the "Too big to Fall" in court.

Original review: March 25, 2017

I am on short term disability since the 6 of march 2017 because of severe spinal stenosis. I went to my Dr. on the 8th of March who recommended abstaining from work until after the lumbar transforaminal, scheduled on the 21st of March, had taken effect. The subsequent medical evaluation is scheduled for the 3rd of April. I informed MetLife of all the relevant information on the 16th and opened a disability case. I received a letter on the 18th (postmarked) with a date of the 16th on the letter, saying I had three days from the date on the letter to submit medical documentation or my case would be closed. Obviously, that left me less than one day, as the mail comes in the afternoon. I was miraculously able to meet those demands. That is I contacted the doctor's office and had them submit paperwork Metlife had sent to them.

Afterward, I received numerous automated calls from MetLife on the 17th that could not be answered because their voice menus were inoperable, and repeated call to them went to voicemail, or were answered by an automated system that indicated they would call me back. I couldn't get in contact with MetLife but I made sure the doctor had received the paperwork and was going to submit it ASAP. I subsequently received a second letter on the 23rd postmarked on the 20th but this time the letter was dated the 17th of March 2017. According to this letter, I had three days (which had already expired by the time I received the letter) to get further medical documentation. I immediately called MetLife on the 23rd of March 2017, and spoke to representative Sandra, who assured me they could wait until the 3rd of April when my follow up with my Dr would occur.

I felt great until 6pm that evening, when a man named George from MetLife called and told me despite what I had already heard from Sandra a few hours earlier, my case would be closed. As you can guess, Verizon wireless says that the "call cannot be completed as dialed". In other words, that line is designed for them to reach you but not for you to reach them. Also, note that they called at 6pm on a Friday when business hours are over. MetLife's website is also having "technical problem" so that you can't register any complaints. So the conclusion I have reached is that MetLife has systematically made it very difficult for claims to be processed. I believe this is unethical and perhaps illegal, and I promise to get to the bottom and hold them accountable even if I have to call the District Attorney.

Original review: March 21, 2017

Just looking at all the negative responses to this company and wonder why nothing changes. This is the company my work institution has used and I had to pay into all those years of working (20?+), and now close to retirement I got injured and needed early retirement. I found out I would be able to get SSDI but it has taken forever to get responses from MetLife.

We finally even called the cooperate offices in NYC and then my case worker did call me the next day! But otherwise she is super slow and the message phone is a week old! Reminds me of that movie with Matt Damon where the insurance company denied all claims at first. So how do they get away with it. My Claims have been paid now but listening to all these stories makes me wonder how many more people have to go through these frustrations. I worked in a hospital where I loved taking care of people. I wish our country would have that work ethic for each other but I'm a dreamer.

Original review: March 1, 2017

Metlife STD is horrible. Takes a long time to process your claim... I didn't get a check for 6 weeks. Suspended my account because they said I didn't see my doctor every month... Shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get my benefits. Customer service is the worst.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Avoid buying MetLife. Worst customer service ever!! I had a auto accident. Absolute nightmare trying to get my short term disability. People are very rude to my doctor's office. I'm very embarrassed & frustrated. No manager will call you back and help you understand what they need and changes daily when you talk to a different person.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

Metlife declined my income protection claim due to not receiving regular medical treatment for my injury. The policy doesn't not state what "regular" treatment is. They have chosen to totally ignore specialist reports that state there is no treatment available including one they themselves commissioned. In a telephone conference they declared regular as being monthly, regardless of whether treatment is available or not. :-( They did however offer to settle for 30k without any claim of responsibility. The total claim is worth 102k. The amount offered was in line with what I had been told by other claimants to expect eg 30% of claim value. Would appear this is standard MetLife policy.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I have never experienced worse customer relations than I have with MetLife. I went for surgery on Nov 16th waited the 7 day waiting period. Today is Jan. 19th & I have not received a check since Dec. 19th. I have called 5 times first on Dec 30 was told my paperwork was received & I should hear something within a day or two. NO return phone call! Called again. Was put through to my claim handler of course no answer. Left a message. NO RETURN PHONE CALL! Called again. Was put through to my claim handler's supervisor & of course no one picked up the phone. Left a message & no return phone call! I have not been paid since December 19th. Today is January 19th. Very unhappy with MetLife!!! Do not know the supervisor's name that never returned my call but my claim handler that never returned my call is Yvette!!! DISSATISFIED BEYOND BELIEF. Lake Luzerne, NY. Forced to check 1 star but didn't want to check any!!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

I was taken out of work for being ill, my physician completed all appropriate paperwork and sent it to the case worker. I placed five calls to the caseworker who still has NEVER returns a call. They have been reviewing the paperwork for two weeks despite being told it would take 5 business days. There is zero compassion for the fact that the inability to financially plan is destroying my health, my credit, my ability to plan and care for my family.

Updated on 05/28/2017: Have been on STD for a period of time due to a chronic debilitating illness that prevents my return to work. At the beginning, MetLife had small issues but was fairly good. Now, it's a nightmare. Recently my claim was held over 6 weeks while they "reviewed" it, saying they were waiting for medical reports. After calling several times, they admitted they hadn't even requested the reports from the doctors in question. I was treated horribly by a case manager and requested a new one in a formal memo, then coincidentally got put thru an additional "independent review" holding up my claim again now for weeks.

They sent me letters demanding responses by a certain date, but the letter was mailed several days after it was typed (I saved the postage metered envelope for proof) and I never even received the demand until two days after the deadline. They set you up to fail, hold up claim payments, and speak to you like garbage. Don't purchase disability for yourself or your employees.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

I have patiently waited for MetLife to process my disability claim. I have been out since September due to anxiety, stress, and depression. I am doing everything to get better so I can get back to work. Been with my company for 11 years, but MetLife doesn't care about anything or anyone. Their adjuster never returns my calls (did 1 time) after all the calls I have made to them.

On November 2, 2016, the adjuster with MetLife did call and said she was waiting for records and she would call if anything was needed or any issues arose. On November 16, 2016, I get a letter from that same adjuster stating she couldn't get medical records from my doctor so my claim has been denied. I immediately called the adjuster, but like every time I call her, I get her voicemail. I left a message stating to her that if she would have called me, I would have been happy to assist her with getting what records she needed. I then called my doctor's office and was told they never received any request from MetLife for my records. So my doctor's office called MetLife and finally was able to get MetLife's medical records requests. My doctor's office then sent my records to MetLife on December 2, 2016 once my medical records were available.

I spoke with my doctor office on December 7, 2016 and advised that my employer called stating MetLife is stating they still don't have the medical records they requested. My doctor office states they faxed all records to MetLife on December 2, 2016. I asked my doctor's office to fax them again. My doctor's office records person stated she was faxing the request then with a letter asking that MetLife call myself and my doctor's office to let us know the records were received. Neither of us ever got a call from MetLife.

On December 9, 2016, I called MetLife and asked for a supervisor. I was told they are not able to give the supervisor's phone number to anyone. That is just absurd, I have never heard of anything like this. I asked if they received the records my doctor's office sent. The MetLife representative stated yes, they do have the records and they were received on December 7, 2016. I then requested to speak with a supervisor. I was told the supervisor and the adjuster were in a meeting and there was no one else I could speak with.

This has done nothing but bring my stress levels up and now depression is worse. I have a family and it's almost Christmas. I have yet to get any gifts for my wife or my children. My bills are coming in and I have no idea of how I am going to pay them. I am flat broke now. I haven't been paid since November 2, 2016 and that's the last day of my short term disability ran out. I have dealt with another company (The Standard) before and they were so fast as processing my claim. I don't understand why MetLife makes everything so difficult. It's just a game to them and they want to look good at denying claims.

Also, for those comments I saw on here from the former MetLife employees, please keep your thoughts to yourself. MefLife is a disgraceful and terrible company. They have done nothing but exacerbate my condition. On top of all of this, the medicines my doctor has put me on are making me sick. I am just asking for help. I didn't ask for my doctor to put me out of work and I am not asking for handouts. Just pay what is owed. I am willing to file a class action suit if my claim is not approved by next week. What will it hurt, I've been told if claim isn't approved by next week I am terminated from my job.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

After finally getting approved for LTD, after an extended review period, MetLife has failed to either send a random monthly direct deposit payment or, on three occasions, failed to process my 3% COLA. Each time I eventually got my correct payments, albeit late, without interest and after numerous phone calls in which I repeated the same damned information. Last year, a case manager informed me that I didn't return their medical and financial check-in forms. But I never received the forms! How convenient that these forms were lost in the mail in the spring. Not even Christmas season!

Both last year and this year, I received letters stating that my November LTD deposit was to be over $500 LESS than October's, despite the fact that my COLA is scheduled for November 1 and therefore my November deposit was to be $80 MORE. I was promised next-business-day callback after this year's yet unresolved snafu but spoke to two reps the following day (after no callback) who explained that I had to speak to my case manager. They again promised next-day callback and their track record regarding callbacks is hardly reliable.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

I was on maternity leave and upon having my daughter I suffered with severe postpartum depression that I was put on meds and it was upped three times. MetLife sent my doctor a booklet to fill out and he did. He also spoke with several people at MetLife. They kept denying my claim and my doctor was so mad. I ended up having my lights cut off and my water. Thankfully a friend up paying my bills. I had to go on public assistance and I'm seeing a counselor due to the postpartum and the stress.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

I agree with a lot of the comments posted. MetLife is awful when it comes to Short Term Disability. I am a single parent and have been fighting MetLife since June 2016. It took filing a complaint and writing an appeal letter to get approved after almost two and a half months later. I was approved and then cut off again, only because it was determined by MetLife I am partially disabled and if my job can accommodate me, then I can go back to work. Still waiting on ADAA and I have been without income since September 2016. Recently the comment given by one of MetLife's supervisors was "If you can take care of your child, then you are not disabled and can do your job." Oh REALLY? So now you are an experienced Medical Practitioner, Orthopedic Doctor, Therapist, Neurologist, Etc. and know what I can and cannot do.

MetLife is a joke. I have had back issues all my life and now have other problems with my hips and knees. So adjusting my position while doing continuous sitting in a call center environment is going to benefit me. I do not think so, that is what I was doing before and the reason I have been out on Short Term Disability, because none of that worked and I ended up having more issues. I am in constant pain. Not able to sit or stand long periods at a time and have trouble walking. Another thing how am I suppose to drive and do my job while taking pain medication? None of it makes sense and getting a lawyer would be beneficial. Even with all the stress and aggravation this company has put me through I still managed to quit smoking. Something needs to be done about this company. So many people suffering the consequences, because they have illnesses or injured and cannot get the benefits they paid into.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2016

They're literally the most unscrupulous, disgusting, lying, rotten, awful excuses for human beings in the world. They will lie to you repeatedly. They will never approve any sort of claim. They will give you misinformation at every corner possible. They are simply lying to you to make sure you don't receive a penny from them and so that they can force you back to work despite any illness. How these "people" can sleep at night and even kiss their loved ones is beyond me. They have an option to have a job requiring morals and not the lack thereof. They're monsters, they're not humans. Disgusting.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2016

MetLife disability has to be the worse company that works with Verizon. They have no sympathy for you at all then on top of all the information and forms that make you fill out they still think youre lying or it's not enough information. I was out barely three weeks and the case worker Erica ** was the worst person to handle my case and her manager was no better. Constantly asking for more information. Doctor had already filled out paperwork why I was out of work. Claim took over a month and still didn't get approved even after appeal. Nothing was done. No pay for a month. It's like they the rep think they're your doctor or signing your check. They should be disbarred from handling anyone's information. They rude and unprofessional and don't care about anyone well being.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2016

With SO many people, including myself, experiencing the same thing, is there a lawyer who would file a class action lawsuit? Has any filed a complaint with New York Insurance Commission? I want to get paid, and I am SICK of being the little guy dealing with financial chaos because of MetLIFE!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016

I have never had such trouble filing a claim for short term disability! I am a single mother. One income household. I had surgery and provided all the documentation from my doctor to be off work for 6 weeks and they only approved 2 weeks. This is a horrible thing to put someone through when they are trying to recuperate! Yes I can file and extension with additional paperwork, which I have and who knows how long that will take to process. Why does my doctor need to tell you 2 or 3 times that I need 6 weeks to heal! I would never recommend this company and will be dropping my policy as soon as I return to work!

I have paid my premiums and should be able to use my benefits when I need them!!! Worst experience ever! I have had std claims with other companies and never had an issue. I filled out my 1st set of paperwork, was approved right away and received a check for the full amount right away. I am still waiting on my 2nd weeks check that should have been cut a week ago! This company should be ashamed of what you put people through when they are already in pain trying to heal. No one needs the added stress of worrying about paying their bills when they have insurance for these types of situations! I will definitely let my employer know and hope that they will switch providers!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016

2016 has been a year where every medical condition has come down on me hard. I was diagnosed with severe depression and was asked to take leave by my therapist and PCP Metlife took forever to get the documents and my therapist had to take her own time to fight with them. After 3 Weeks I return to work but was placed on an intermittent fmla claim to help manage the side effects of the depression medications and also the symptoms of depression. This took another 5 letters and countless phone calls to get correct meanwhile worsening my condition. Once I reported I was back to work and off of std they felt it was funny to close my intermittent fmla claim which I fought for 2 weeks to reopen.

A little over a month later I have a bad reaction to a medication increase that took me out of work for a week and a half. This claim was denied stating my Dr never provided paperwork but Metlife never sent it. I finally had to go through Amanda ** a supervisor because they kept saying my case worker Marlene could never reach me. Turns out Marlene had the wrong phone number all along but I only had ONE number but Metlife couldn't tell me where the other number came from. Luckily after a month after the week and a half off Amanda was able to fix the claim. I finally got paid for that time.

September 9th I began to get overwhelming pains in both arms, burning, numbness, soreness. It kept me awake at night for a while but the condition kicked it into high gear where I couldn't tolerate the pain. I took fmla leave as I didn't know what was happening and thought it was a side effect from my many medications and it would pass. My PCP scheduled an emergency nerve study thinking it was either carpal tunnel or nerve pain. The study revealed carpal tunnel worst in my non-dominant hand than in my dominant hand. I called Metlife and filed std. They got my PCP paperwork fine but said it wasn't enough so I forwarded the nerve study and an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon.

Marlene calls me to tell me she has to deny my claim because I took fmla for depression and std for carpal tunnel that I can't have TWO symptoms at once. Are you kidding? I argue with her and become very upset. I've been out of work since September 9th and still haven't gotten any pay, my rent is past due and so are my lights. I had to pay 200 dollars out of my pocket for a nerve study and these people are telling me I can't be sick with two things?

So I am having surgery on both hands October 12th. Metlife still has yet to pay me. Supervisors play phone tag and call you when they want. I contacted a local attorney to see if this would be a workers compensation case since I haven't had issues until working for Verizon. Yes, it is. He also advised me regardless what fmla is for I should be entitled to it by law.

So I am giving Metlife one last chance, waiting on a disability unit supervisor to call me back. If they tell me my claim is denied I am seeking legal action. Reading all the reviews they have no idea the strain they put on already sick people. No compassion. I had to get my therapist to calm me down after the conversation with marlene. She had to make me realize my worth even though Metlife didn't see my worth. So I am a Verizon employee, out of work due to a carpal tunnel injury to both hands on 10 different medications for depression, diabetes, pcos, high blood pressure, and most of all pain and Metlife has my entire medical work up and they STILL deny my claims.

It's sad that Verizon would employ such a disgusting company to handle their employees. Honestly the whole ordeal has me not even sleeping at night anymore and my depression is bad enough to be admitted to a hospital. The government should crack down on Metlife. Why? Because I have 100% considered just applying for full time disability rather than ever have to go through something like this again. Yes, I am willing to give up the job I love and support my family with to never have to deal with a company like Metlife again. This is the pain and sadness they encourage in people.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

I have been employed with Verizon for over 9 years. I suffer with depression and in December 2015 I lost my oldest child. I am a single mother and I filed an FMLA claim which was approved through 2017 for up to 2x per week and 2 days per incident. I called my employer and requested FMLA leave recently and then after the 8 day time of being out, I filed for STD to cover the remaining time off. I was hospitalized with my depression and expected to see the first few days on my paycheck as FMLA using what personal time I had left and the remaining time through current as STD leave. I received my paycheck and there was no FMLA coding done and called Verizon to find out about it but was told to check with MetLife.

I sent all the hospital paperwork into MetLife and they called me stating that they will be denying my claim as the 8 days have passed and I explained to them that my employer was to code the first few days as FMLA already approved then STD to cover the remaining time through current. My time card submitted by Verizon was incorrectly coded and MetLife wants to deny my STD claim. I am just recovering from an emotional breakdown and this has me ready to go back to the hospital. I am so upset that I don't know what to do. I have 2.83 in my bank account and I am at the mercy of MetLife and Verizon to protect my children's welfare and to be approved and paid.

I don't know where to turn. In a past STD claim with MetLife, a claim was denied and I sent in my return to work paperwork in from my doctor and was told by MetLife that an employee at Verizon's HR CHANGED the date. I sent an appeal and won it because right is right and wrong is wrong. I suffer from Bipolar and PTSD and have been in therapy for years. I pay disability as a employee and feel that it is always a horrific nightmare dealing with trying to be approved for any type of benefit with Verizon. I just don't know what to do, I am extremely emotionally upset at this point and at the brink of being homeless.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2016

As a physician, it is no surprise that to utter the term insurance company leaves a bitter taste in my mouth; but my experience with the individual MetLife Disability Department has left me nauseated and just sick to my stomach. I bought life and disability insurance from MetLife in March of 2014, because it seemed to be cost effective. Unfortunately, in February 2016, I had to go out on medical leave.

By April 2016, it was apparent that I would not be able to go back to work as soon as anticipated, and on April 27, 2016, I applied for individual disability. Within three weeks, MetLife had received all required documentation including my medical records, and by June 9. 2016, I was informed that there were multiple unanswered questions, and that I would have a 2-week window - I responded on June 21, 2016. Since then, I have kept in touch with my IDI Claims representative, and was told that due to the complicated nature of my case, there was a seven member team assessing my claim, as whether to rescind the policy and return my premiums, or grant me the conditions of my policy.

Would you believe that as of today, September 4, 2016, no decision has been made and I have been told that this team cannot meet before September 12-13 2016 (via telephone conference), due to other engagements i.e. vacation. Yes, you heard me right! Imagine being ill and on medical leave for more than 6 months, applying for disability over 4 month ago, responding to all questions over 2 months ago, being depleted of ALL financial resources with expenses including a mortgage, and two children (one of whom is already in college), and you are being told that your temporary means of financial support is not a priority.

Furthermore, I am returning to work (at reduced hours), and will receive my first pay check from my employer before a decision is being made by MetLife! For many who are temporarily or permanently disabled, we seek to have some degree of medical and financial normalcy, but MetLife shatters this with its lack of consideration and respect, in this intentionally delayed process. To my IDI claims representative - T.S, Claims Manager - A.W, Director of IDI Claims Dept - J.D., the Assistant Vice President - J.M, as well as your executive board, I only have one hope: that for every person that has suffered at your hands, that each of you have a sleepless terror-filled night; and judging from your negative claims review, you would become Full-Time Insomniacs!

MetLife expert review by Matthew Brodsky

MetLife is a well-known insurance company that has become famous for its commercials using characters from the "Peanuts" comic strip. It offers a variety of insurances, including disability insurance.

• Offers real life stories on its website: Users can watch videos featuring people who became disabled so that they can learn more about disability insurance.

• FAQ and tips online: MetLife offers a FAQ section and tips for dealing with disability insurance on its website.

• Offers individual supplements: Consumers can purchase the exact insurance they need rather than depending on an employer-offered insurance plan.

• Offers both short- and long-term insurance: People who are disabled for a long period of time don't have to worry about their benefits running out.

• Online calculator helps people figure out their insurance needs: MetLife's online calculator predicts how much insurance people will need if they become disabled for various periods of time.

• Best for: People with chronic conditions, people who have been injured and people recovering from surgery.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky