MetLife Disability Insurance

MetLife Disability Insurance

3.9/5 (294 ratings)

About MetLife Disability Insurance

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States.

MetLife Disability Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

Where to start - the "case manager" Janet R. was anything but a case manager. Calls were never returned and communication with my medical offices was non-existent. I called the main hotline once and was told they needed to "interview" me. I gave them the answers to their questions. After not hearing back for days, I called back. Yes, you guessed it - they told me they needed to "interview" me even though I had already done it. I told them I had done it and to WRITE IT DOWN this time.

A few days later, I get a voicemail from my joke of a case manager - she "needed to interview me." At that point, I lost it. I called her back and left her a voicemail (she NEVER answered the phone) and explained to her very clearly that I was tired of getting the runaround and to get their stuff together. Bottom line is this - if you're forced to deal with these clowns, be assertive, get everything in writing, and call multiple times per day. If you can, record your calls. Also make sure you follow up with your medical office to ensure Metlife does what they claim they're doing because this was often not the case when I called my doctor.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

I recently claimed my short term disability leave with MetLife, when I tried to tell them the new year cycle cover I paid for 100% payment coverage they hung up on me, I called about ten times. Every time the call will go through but the person is keep hanging up my call. It is really frustrated because I am a cancer patient and I need my money to take care of my family. I want justice on these matters. They don’t have any rights to take people's money.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2022

I purchased Critical Illness Insurance though my employer several years ago, I have been diagnosed with a qualifying illness and filed a claim two months ago yet still no answer. The bills are pouring in, Ultra sounds, MRI, Biopsy, specialists, scans and tests. I have submitted the same information three times on different paper forms and when I call to find out what the heck is happening with my claim I get a different answer each time but with a common theme of "wait a few more days and if you don't get anything in the mail just call back".

I never thought I would need it but decided I should buy this insurance just in case, What a waste, I should have never purchased and paid for this scam insurance. I now fully expect that they will try and short change me if they ever get around to addressing my claim. Shame, Shame on Met life. My wife is terrified for my health and now the family financial well being is in jeopardy when we thought we were at least somewhat protected. I have a meeting scheduled with the HR director at my company and plan to share the details of my ridiculous treatment with her. Perhaps AFLAC or some other more reputable company will be part of our open enrollment next year instead of this horrid, thoughtless outfit.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

I contacted MetLife on June 7, 2022 to advise of an upcoming surgery on July 12th, all was set up - but when it came time utilize the claim after surgery - I have had nothing but miscommunication, no communication, lack of follow thru, I have called every day for assistance and get different answers each time I call. My rep is never available, she requests info and then never logs as received, she does not call me back. I have finally contacted them again and asked for a supervisor. The payout was over a month, then when I went part time, and now back to work, just getting the part time benefits has been ridiculous! They told me that I am missing a letter from doc, which they have and that they were missing info from my employer which she never got a call to request.

Original review: June 22, 2022

After being involved in an accident almost four months ago, I was told by my super company that I could put in a claim with MetLife (their insurer) after 30 days from date of accident. I submitted my claim form along with relevant documents and after multiple phone calls and emails, I still haven’t received anything nor are my emails being responded to anymore.

Original review: June 9, 2022

I wish there was an option to leave zero stars- dealing with Metlife has quite literally been one of the worst experiences in my life. I have NEVER seen an established company function so poorly. It BLOWS MY MIND that they're out here doing this to people & getting away with it! It is abundantly clear that their business plan is to make the claims process as slow & convoluted as possible to almost break you into giving up.

They're constantly asking for more documentation- we have our drs saying they have sent everything they possibly can, metlife says it's not enough. When you try to get them to specify exactly what information they still need they don't. Calls/emails to your "case manager" are often ignored and if they do decide to grace you with a reply it's usually with an attitude.

Metlife has had many details mixed up, regardless of how many times we correct them. For instance they have my husband's boss listed as his primary care provider, even though we have obviously told them repeatedly that isn't correct. They hassled my husband about stopping going to physical therapy but the reason he stopped going was because he was starting to have severe tremors and both his pcp & physical therapist told him to stop. We provide proof of that, they still act like stopping is questionable.

& dear lord, trying to get paid from this company is practically an act of congress. My husband's STD ended on 5/10. We obviously began the process of filing for LTD before then to make sure we weren't in between pay. How naive of us! It is currently 6/8 & we have received no pay. We haven't even been able to get the claim approved! We have done every single thing they've asked for and provided every single thing they've asked for.

Honestly it's just a nightmare and it's hard to believe this is real life sometimes. Unfortunately we have no other option right now but to keep trying. I would strongly recommend avoiding this company if at all possible. They are not here to help & they certainly don't give a single sh*t about you. It is heartbreaking to me that they take what is already such a scary, uncertain, stressful time in your life and find every way possible to make it even worse. Terrible company, terrible service, I can't wait for the day I don't have to deal with them anymore.

Original review: May 24, 2022

This company is a complete scam. I have contacted a lawyer because they are giving my dad the complete run around and continuing to tell him that he owes them money. They should be shut completely down. No one that I have spoke to there has any idea what they are doing. I have called 2 times today just to speak to my dad's supposed new case worker and no one has called me back. Do not use this company at all. They are complete con artists.

Original review: May 19, 2022

I was off work 4 months and had to use my short term disability. They closed my case 4 days before I returned to work and continue to give me the runaround, they also made errors on my case and my case manager doesn't call me back. I hope I never have to use this company again.

Original review: April 10, 2022

My experience dealing with Alysa ** Claims Specialist ** was terrible. She contacted me 2 years after my son drowned and informed me I was the beneficiary to 3 checks totaling $1,000 that my late son had not cashed. I gave her the proper info to get the checks out and told her they would help since my wife is dying from cancer.

After waiting 2 months I was contacted that they had to stop payment on the original checks that were issued 2 years earlier to my son. Finally after 6 months I received a check, but it was only for $336 dollars. I deposited it 5 days ago and contacted Alyssa ** about the mistake and how I had only gottten 1/3 of the dollar amount owed to me!

Then my bank contacted me and said Metlife stopped payment. Probably because I told Alysa ** the world needs to know how unprofessional she is and how Metlife wants your business until it is time for them to do their job and pay the people who banked on the security of a insurance policy for hard times! There are plenty of out of work hardworking Americans more qualified than Alysa ** and the others I dealt with over six months only to receive a check for $336 Which BOUNCED!! I am not surprised and anyone expecting a payout on a policy I'm sorry, but your money would have been better spent on Lottery tickets.

Original review: March 30, 2022

This is in regards to MetLife FMLA. When you call the number listed on their website it is disconnected! Really??? How are people supposed to call you in time of need? A business of this size...and you can't speak to them in person? F- HORRIBLE COMPANY!

MetLife author review by Matthew Brodsky

MetLife is a well-known insurance company that has become famous for its commercials using characters from the "Peanuts" comic strip. It offers a variety of insurances, including disability insurance.

• Offers real life stories on its website: Users can watch videos featuring people who became disabled so that they can learn more about disability insurance.

• FAQ and tips online: MetLife offers a FAQ section and tips for dealing with disability insurance on its website.

• Offers individual supplements: Consumers can purchase the exact insurance they need rather than depending on an employer-offered insurance plan.

• Offers both short- and long-term insurance: People who are disabled for a long period of time don't have to worry about their benefits running out.

• Online calculator helps people figure out their insurance needs: MetLife's online calculator predicts how much insurance people will need if they become disabled for various periods of time.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor