Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.00/5

Humana Vision Insurance Reviews

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I sent in a claim for glasses and lenses because it was a out of network store, Costco, so I haven’t got my money so I call. Guess what? No record of a claim. I’ll make sure everyone and their brother knows what a ripoff they are. I’m going to resubmit the claim and if I don’t get my money it’s the BBB and the ins commission.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I am writing as I just signed up 2 days ago and they have taken $49.99 out my account. I have no ID card. Nothing. I was on the phone for 42 mins getting passed from one department to another and no was able to pull me up in the system. They can take my money but not find me??? Then the last place I was transferred to I got hung up on after 42 min of this with no answers whatsoever. I am thinking that if this is the way their customer service is I picked the WRONG Vision plan!!! Very disappointed.

Get expert buying tips about Vision Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

They sent a letter by mistake saying our dental plan was cancelled due to not receiving payment. (Parents paid it on time.) Then while I thought plan was cancelled they kept charging my parents and refuse to return the money they stole. Never used the plan thinking my account was cancelled. Today’s customer service was absolutely atrocious. The ladies think they knew what they were talking about and it was absolutely wrong. Honestly even Walmart customer service is way better. That’s something crazy to say!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I signed up for Humana for Health, Vision, and Dental Insurance a few years ago. They dropped the Health Insurance in my state but I kept the Vision and Dental with them. I should have switched a long time ago. Their vision insurance is a joke, I had automatic payments set up, but I received a notice that my payments were past due, so I paid online and set up automatic payments again. One month later, I received a notice that my policy was terminated for a lack of payment.

This company all around is a joke. Stay away if possible.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I would give this 0 stars if I could. I had Humana Vision Insurance before I was with my new employer. Once with them, I preferred their coverage so I wanted to terminate my Humana Vision Coverage. I did so in June 2017 along with my Humana Dental coverage. Then in May 2018 I received a letter from Humana essentially saying "thanks for renewing. We will automatically charge your card in June $170 some dollars." The letter doesn't even have a number to call for questions, just the Department of Health and Human Services number for if you have been discriminated against.

I started my Humana calling journey on a Tuesday by calling a customer service number on their website. For the next FOUR DAYS and over TEN HOURS of calling NOT A SINGLE PERSON knew what number to send me to in order to cancel Humana Vision coverage (which should already have been cancelled). I asked them numerous times if I was the first person to ever call to cancel a Humana plan - I swear it felt like they were just keeping this going so that they could keep me paying them forever. I mean representatives were literally googling "what number to call for canceling Humana" - seriously if you work there how do you not know this information?! Multiple representatives transferred me to Eye Med (even ruder customer service reps than Humana) and one transferred me to Blue Cross Blue Shield - what in the world?!

Eventually, after many days and many hours and many inept customer service reps, someone got me to the right person who actually knew what they were doing and terminated the plan, helped with refunding money, and actually helped us figure out what was going on. If you're in the same boat I would say this is the best number to try: 1-800-708-1147 (choose option 1). Another potential number to use might be 1-866-537-0232. Trust me starting with those numbers will save you 3 days of calling. I will continue to share my poor experience with Humana and let everyone I know that this company is completely inept save one or two customer service reps who were actually helpful. Worst insurance experience I have ever had.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana Vision Insurance?

Original review: May 21, 2018

I was enrolled in a Humana vision plan. They said it would cost $15.0 per month and would save me $150. Per yr on contact lenses. Well it cost $180.0 per yr for the insurance and that's all they do. So I ask, where are the savings? Also they incorrectly entered my information on the card; in fact, I or no one else could access it. But in the end fate saved me money. My eye dr. told me they only covered $150.0 per yr. IN A NUTSHELL I NEVER PAID A PREMIUM OR USED THEIR SERVICE BECAUSE OF THEIR MISTAKE. THEY ACTUALLY SAVED ME FROM THEMSELVES. How ironic!

Original review: April 27, 2018

I enrolled in Humana's Dental and Vision plans. Immediately following enrollment I discovered that I was enrolled in Humana's Eyesight/Select plan. My local vision care provider was not part of this Network. They were part of the Eyesight/Insight network. The Humana sales rep never even bothered to check to confirm in which network my vision care provider was a member. I spent 4 days calling Humana to get this changed. They could never find my account and kept transferring me to various departments, none of which could make the change I needed. After 4 days of this runaround I finally called and canceled both Dental and Vision coverage. Humana is terrible to deal with. No one in their organization knows how to resolve issues. Beware before purchasing any of their plans.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Humana for unknown reasons terminated my coverage. Only found out when I tried to use it and was denied. Have now spent two weeks trying to get coverage reinstated. COBRA provider has told them by phone and email on numerous occasions that my coverage should not have been terminated. Despite this and two "urgent requests" for reinstatement Humana has failed to do so and still cannot give me a date when such will be accomplished. Yet they still take my money.

Original review: July 20, 2017

As a senior citizen, I think it is a shame that Humana sells Vision Insurance and before the policy goes into effect, I cancelled it and now they tell me I have to keep it for ONE YEAR!! A service I do not need and have never even used, but bought in error. In all my decades of living, I have never heard of such a thing in all my life. I will NEVER buy any insurance from them ever again. And when my current dental policy expires, I will not renew with this company. This is first and last time ever buying from this company.

Original review: June 24, 2017

My wife had gone to Rosenstein Vision Care in Durham, NC for her eye exam and glasses. She had paid for both thru Humana. She had ordered eyeglasses and when called back to Dr. ** office was told that they were no longer a VSP provider. However, they were listed as a VSP provider on Humana's website. The same situation exists with LensCrafters, Sears and Target. There is misleading information while we are paying premiums each month. This needs to be addressed and corrected.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Humana Vision Insurance expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Humana is a health insurance company with headquarters in Louisville, Ky. The company was founded in 1961 as a nursing home group and began offering health plans in the mid-1980s. Merger talks with Aetna are pending.

• Multiple plan discount: Individuals who purchase both vision and dental insurance through Humana receive a discount on both plans.

• Widely available: Although the company offers health insurance policies in fewer than 20 states, Humana vision insurance is available in 42 states. Interested consumers can see the coverage options in their state by visiting Humana’s website.

• No waiting period: Humana’s vision insurance does not have a waiting period, meaning consumers can access their benefits shortly after they purchase a plan. Plan details may vary some by state, so consumers should consult Humana’s website for the most up-to-date information.

• Consumer Education: Humana’s website includes resources for consumers to learn about eye health and eye disease. Their Health Resources section includes informational articles about all kinds of health, not only vision.

• Browse plans: Interested consumers can browse all available vision plans on Humana’s website. They can see the difference between plan options as well as the price difference for adding a spouse and/or dependent(s).

• Best for: Humana is best for anyone looking to purchase a stand-alone vision plan.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Humana Vision Insurance Company Information