1.50/5
  • 1 star
Based on 39 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 26, 2017

291 Homesite Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Claims - This was so efficiently handled by Amanda ** of the Binghamton New York. I was amazed. This was the time when all the hurricanes hit... yet in her calm, intelligent and good humored way she was terrific. If I could give six stars I would... thanks.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I recently had a home fire which destroyed my entire home. There was nothing left at all. I call Homesite Insurance and they instantly threw my claim to the SIU department. They placed me in a hotel. It's been a few months now. I receive a email saying I need to do a EUO. This company loves taking people money but sit on their hands when it's time to payout. So they basically denied me when I called to file the claim. Please, I'm begging you, no matter how good they may sound do not go with this company. They are professional SCAM artist that the government lets get over on people... It's not worth it. I haven't received one dime from these people. Sad company, bad business and SCAMMERS!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Filed a claim after Irma. Was mailed a letter dated the 8th that my property needed an inspection before renewal. They already knew Irma was going to hit us. I had renewed in June. This was Sept. After numerous phone calls someone came yesterday. Talk about a blow off. Impersonal. This wasn't covered. That wasn't covered. How did the shed get knocked down. It was a HURRICANE. Freezer that was crushed. Not covered. Food. Not covered. Fence... we put back up ourself. DO NOT USE THEM.

The adjuster told me on the phone he was looking at my damage yet no one had been here. CANCELING. As FEMA said... Hardly ever is a home an entire loss at almost 3k a year premium on a 160k policy. I'll fix it myself. Forget a nice friendly appraiser. Or an honest adjuster. After a call they said that John was my appraiser... That was my husband!! Tried to make most repairs on our own but roof was damaged too bad. We did fix ceilings... fences and replace our building.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have called Dan ** last week and no call returned. The contractor's work was done with the wrong product. Dan gave him a copy of the supplies needed. Lots of errors, bathroom is unsafe. I still have toilet water dripping into my living room. Plus so many other issues. Contractor was given money from Homesite to remove gable and the walls that adjoined the bathroom. Contractor told me adjuster ** told him not to remove walls. He was paid. Contractor will not return money to us or insurance company. That is insurance fraud. When my mother, Carmen ** and myself, Kim ** called insurance company Mr. ** told us not his issue.

There has to be a department that handles fraud cases and poorly, incompletely done work. My mother will need to put on another claim. Tub is unsafe, Kim has almost fallen out bathroom window inside the tub. Tub is unleveled. There is painters tape around Tub that was grouted and cannot remove tape. Also tape on outside of tub and grouted cannot be removed without scratching new tub, the same with toilet. Contractor also used wall tiles with a weight limit on floor that is also on wrong boards. Tiles are cracking. Tub tiles not grouted all the way. Faucet and shower pipe are 3 to 4 inches away from tile and inside the wall the pipe was not anchored. Sanding and painting was sloppy.

I can not afford to hire a lawyer, have gone to every agency in CT for help. No luck. This man needs to pay back the insurance money and also fix my living room wall that he cracked when sledgehammering old tub. He was also paid to close up hole in living room. Did not do and won't return money. I need the insurance company's help with this one and it is like they wiped their hands off this. Because of my ex contractor my mother home rates will go up and the value of her home has gone down. This is unfair. My mother is 79 yrs old and I am disabled, lower back and hips have arthritis, I do not feel safe in the shower. I have already fallen twice while showering. I took the sink with me and hit my head on the wall. The sink was not properly installed.

Please get back to me, I need to tell you one more issue and it is private, I do not want to put it on the web. But, I can say this I feel very unsafe in my home and in my yard. I do not go out like I use to. Fear of running into him or the 2 workers he had that he paid cash to for working, no taxes... taken out, that also is illegal. The legal dept needs to help my mother and me. If I do not hear from you, your company will also be brought up to the channel 30 investigation unit.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Received an estimate to perform repairs on my property following a severe storm which included Recoverable Depreciation. I obtained the necessary materials and performed the repairs myself. Once I submitted all of the necessary paperwork including pictures of the repairs and receipts for materials Homesite provided me with an updated estimate which was much lower than the original estimate and stated this new estimate was based on "homeowner's rates". This new estimate now showed that Homesite owed $0 dollars for Recoverable Depreciation vs >$5,000 on the original estimate. The Homesite representative claims that I should have been informed that the original estimate was for "contractor rates" and that "homeowner rates" are different however there is nothing on their website and nothing listed on any of the documentation I have received.

I feel like Homesite is ripping me off after I completed the repairs to my property. Furthermore they raised my home insurance premium by more than $1,400 and verbally stated this was because I have had some recent claims (1 small claim in 2016 for a backed up sump pump and 2 claims in 2017 (both 2017 claims are from the same severe storm). I am being punished for actually using the insurance I have continuously paid for and Homesite is desperately trying to recover any money they can from me since they paid out money to perform the necessary repairs to my property per my insurance policy. I am going to explore legal options now as what they are doing to me is illegal.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

It is now well over a month after Harvey. In spite of dozens of calls (on hold 20-22 minutes then disconnected) I have been unable to speak with anyone at Homesite and my email correspondence goes unanswered. My home is flooded and gutted and I cannot make any progress at all with Homesite. This is a very big disappointment and mistake. Do not trust Homesite.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Had wind storm go through my area in March 2017. Wind damaged 5 homes in my neighborhood, including mine. Called Homesite to report the claim and they finally sent out an adjuster on 5/10/2017. His report concurred the wind damage and their estimate to replace was $13,300. Then they dinged me 3% of home value, which they claim was $300,000. Ya right. So that takes the settlement down to $10,300. Then they deducted that my roof was depreciated and it was 25 yrs old. Final settlement was $3700. Problem was, my roof was only 12 yrs old and their adjuster and another contractor verified this.

After 2 months trying to make contact, I was advised my claims adjuster was no longer there and I was assigned another. After several phone calls and leaving voicemails, I finally made contact with the new rep after being told he wasn't in. He tells me that they did reimburse me for a 12 yr old roof, which is false. Furthermore, he advised me they're not giving me any more money, even after I told him I found a contractor for $8,000 to replace. Depreciation had nothing to do with the damage from the wind and he didn't care. He told me there's a provision in my policy stating they didn't cover depreciation, which I still haven't found.

When I told him I was changing companies, he didn't really care. This is a division of Geico, with whom I had auto insurance. Guess what? Not anymore. This company the worst customer service and I would highly recommend anyone to go elsewhere. Just don't buy insurance from a company that uses a lizard as its mascot. And all my neighbors got their roofs fixed w/o a hitch. I'm the lone wolf who apparently didn't do enough research on this company.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

A hailstorm passed through the Denver area damaging many roofs. Both of my neighbors had a new roof before I received my claim check. I have a $1000 deductible on claims but it seems that hail damage had a $2500.00 deductible. I searched and found a great deal on replacing my roof, I purchased the materials and paid for labor. After submitting my invoice to recover the depreciable value I receive an email telling me that I did not spend enough money to qualify. Also not covered were items that the adjuster listed such as chimney cap and dented gutters. Homesite claimed it was only "cosmetic" damage. To top it off I wrote this entire review while waiting on hold to speak to an insurance agent. I'd find another insurance co.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

We have been insured with Homesite for about four years and within that time three years ago we had a claim for a dog scaring someone off a bike and every year the amount of the policy payments went up but this year it went up almost three hundred dollars and we have not had any claims other than the one three years ago. So we found a better policy with a different company for less and called Homesite to cancel our existing policy. Now even though it was just raised they said they can find us discounts now. If there were discounts to be given why raise my policy payments? This makes no sense at all. Farmers gave us a better policy for less.

Original review: July 27, 2017

My wife and I bought a house at the end of June, and used Homesite Insurance for our home owners insurance. Everything went well through purchasing the insurance, and Homesite was aware that our roof was an older roof. I've just received a letter dated July 24, 2017 stating that our insurance was cancelled due to the roof having some missing shingles and wear. I am not disputing Homesite's right to refuse service. My issue is that I won't be receiving a refund for the rest of the year for 2-3 more weeks.

If I return an item that I bought, it's general practice that I would receive my money or some sort of credit immediately, so what I'm failing to understand is how an insurance company can cancel a policy without immediately returning the funds for a service that they are no longer providing. Further, if I am required to have insurance on my home, how could an insurance company hold onto money that was directed for that purpose, thus hindering my ability to comply with the necessity of having home insurance due to their decision to not serve us.

Original review: July 27, 2017

My apartment flooded and I lost clothes, my bed, bags, documents, family photos, and receipts of those items. It was a flood, for God's sake. I contacted them and it took two days for a call back. They asked for photos, two days later, which I provided. Bottom line, after two months of dealing with this, I finally got a call and they mentioned my claim was not approved because the lack of photos. Anyway, do not do business with this company. They are only interested in collecting your payments and when you need them, they will deny your claim. I lived in misery for a month with not even a bed to sleep on and all they said it was, "Well, next time, take better photos". Lesson learned. Never again Homesite Insurance.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Went with Homesite through Progressive renters insurance and to say that I am happy would be a understatement... Plumbing over flowed in the basement and it's a in-law suite and got bed set, rug, dressers, mattress and a couple other things... Called Homesite. They were very nice and professional. No hassles. Took about a week and a half and sent us the money no problems... They tried to say they was sorry when all I wanted to do was thank them... I've been through a car insurance claim that took months so needless to say I would absolutely recommend Homesite to other people. My adjuster's name was James **. Very nice person. Thank you so much and for making my experience hassle free.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Won't return deposit - I ordered a policy and then canceled it right away because of the answer to a question I forgot to ask. I asked for my money to be returned and here it is over a week later and they still want to hold my money for more than 10 days. I spoke with a supervisor named John and he told me he would tell billing to reverse the charges on the payment and I would have a refund in 2 days. Now I hear from a supervisor named Ryan that billing won't refund my money before the 10 days because it was not their "error." This is a very nasty policy. It doesn't make a difference whose "error" it is. They should just refund the money. I canceled and they just want to hold the money. I want my money back now not in another week or whenever they want.

Original review: July 1, 2017

On 7.29.2016 our area and surrounding rural areas experienced a massive hailstorm which damaged our RV and our home. We filed a claim through Geico since we had bundled vehicles and home. Geico responded swiftly and courteously. They totaled our RV and payment was received within a couple of weeks. However, our problem came when we filed a homeowner claim through Homesite for the hail damage to our roof and siding. Initially, the woman in customer service informed us that our deductible was $5000 and then proceeded to ask if we wanted to continue with our claim? We responded by stating, absolutely! Within a few weeks, an adjuster inspected our home and gave an estimate of over $17,000. Homesite soon responded via letter, they would deduct $5000. They would send the first check of $10,000 for roof and other repairs. They also stated when repairs were complete, they would send the remaining $2000.

Since the damage to our home and extended areas in our town were so extensive, we were put on a waiting list to have our roof repaired once we accepted a bid we liked. We were trying to save money by going with the lowest bid as well as a reputable company who we have done business with in the past. Approximately 6 months later the roofing company was ready to repair our roof. In the meantime, my spouse and I repaired and painted the entire exterior of home ourselves in order to save money.

Once all repairs were complete, we contacted Homesite on 4.16.17 only for them to say they closed our claim in which we were NEVER notified. We explained we were on a waiting list (it was out of our control) through the roofing company and the woman replied she would have to speak with her supervisor. All correspondence was done via email. Several days had gone by without contact from Homesite. We contacted them again and was informed our case was given to a "specialist" Stephanie **. She told us her supervisor had refused to reopen our claim.

Several more days went by when she said, our first email didn't come until after she wrote us to inform us that our Claim was closed. She informed us our case had been reopened, she received original receipts and original documentation. Furthermore, in yet another email, she asked that she be called to discuss "recoverable depreciation." Through this conversation, she was explaining how recoverable depreciation worked and what she thought we should be paid for scraping, painting and caulking our home plus what we paid for the exterior paint and supplies.

Homesite originally withheld about $7200 for recoverable depreciation so we are confused as to why they are applying it again??? HOMESITE has terrible customer service and they are a fraudulent company. As of July 1, 2017, we are still fighting with Homesite, and have decided to contact the Wyoming Insurance Commission, the FTC, the BBB and the Wyoming Attorney Generals office. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH HOMESITE.

Original review: June 27, 2017

My home was burglarized and Homesite was nothing short of terrible. I have been through this experience before and they made it so much more painful than it needed to be and didn't give me the money I was owed. They are intentionally deceptive, completely lacking empathy during a difficult time, and clearly out to make a buck and nothing more. They record all conversations and then refuse to play the recordings back to their customers if they feel there is information that is damaging to them on the call and blame their legal department for not being able to play the recording. Their documentation is intentionally confusing and any ask for clarification is even more incomprehensible. They assume that we all know how to speak insurance jargon. They accused me of lying and then reminded me that I was being recorded. Just run away.

Original review: June 19, 2017

Homesite can only set up one policy per email address. Homesite requires an email for User ID when logging on. They emphasize paperless communication on their website. I have 3 homes with homeowners policies.. They asked me to set up 3 email addresses so that I may have access to my Homesite policies.. "Unfortunately our system only allows one policy per email address." Wow. What a pain in the neck to access my insurance info and receive renewal notices electronically. (I certify that I am a homesite customer and have been for 8 years.)

Original review: June 13, 2017

This is the worst insurance company that I have ever worked with. I have spent 3 months trying to get them to show that my escrow company paid my insurance in full. I have the confirmation of the check being cashed 2 months ago and they are trying to charge me a bounced check fee. I spoke with Eric #** who handled the situation horribly. He told me that I would not speak to anyone after him and that I could mail a complaint to their office if I wanted to make one. I will be changing my insurance company.

Original review: June 9, 2017

These folks are a lying sack of **. They are the worst in customer service hands down. I have had total loss of a home before moving to Texas with State Farm was smooth and easy. I have had several other insurance carriers Farmers and Allstate never a fiasco like Homesite. I wouldn't insure a dog house or a chicken coop with these people. 24 days to get the 1st check to start repairs. Thank God my house didn't burn down. I would have had to sleep in the car for 24 days! I have never in my life had such a hassle with a claim in 35 years of being a homeowner. During this claim after my new roof was installed I made the switch to Allstate. Go with a major insurance company. You won't go wrong.

Updated on 06/14/2017: They are holding my deprecation hostage more hassles than it is worth. DO NOT INSURE a dog house or chicken coop with them!

Original review: June 5, 2017

We experienced damage to our home due to siding coming loose and flooding; ceiling in basement and walls were compromised as well as basement flooring. When we initially called in, we were told that "groundwater" was not covered. Due to ceiling stains, I didn't think this was an issue so we were sent to the adjuster James **. He informed me on the phone, without looking at anything, that this would not be covered. After asking for at least an inspector, he finally consented after I requested to be transferred to someone else. An inspector came a week later during which mold and mildew were growing in my basement as we were afraid to disturb the area and compromise the inspection.

The inspector said it was NOT groundwater, but due to siding spitting away from the wall. No one contacted us, but a week later, we call in to find out they are sending a letter of denial because flooding is not necessarily a groundwater issue, but a lot of rain and since it was an ongoing problem, the claim was denied. They basically found any way out of covering costs that was possible. They have no regards for the families that pay them to take care of them. We signed up with them through GEICO and will be canceling all of our policies with BOTH companies. Wish we had read reviews sooner and had never paid them a cent!

Original review: June 4, 2017

After viewing all the people who had commented on how completely dissatisfied they are with Homesite, it is obvious they are nothing but scam artists who do not deserve a moment of time when considering your next insurance company. I have had the same nightmares and suffered the same frustration when dealing with this company, and all I can say about them is "good riddance". I have had my cars insured with Progressive for over 20 years, but after the experience I had recently with their homeowner insurance company they are affiliated with... I am kicking EVERYONE to the curb.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I was offered a discounted rate on renters insurance w/ Homesite through my auto insurance. I spoke w/ 3 different sales reps about very specific items, including coverage of musical instruments outside of the property (they told me they would be covered outside the home the same as if they were in the home), and that they had a $10k cap on instruments but other musical equipment wasn't included in this cap.

Upon opening the policy and then reading through the actual policy docs and speaking with a rep (not a sales rep) none of what I had been told was accurate. There were limitations on items located outside of the home, and No musical "equipment' (not just instruments) were covered unless I specifically scheduled them at additional costs each. I became increasingly skeptical on the sales calls - they were "great sales people", - but after being directed through 3 different people to get answers, I figured I could sign up and confirm in the policy docs. What a waste of a couple hours. They might have gotten my business (and kept it) if they had just been honest and given accurate info. They did offer a complete refund, which is one plus I suppose.

Original review: May 24, 2017

On my daughter's birthday we experience high winds and our neighbor's tree hit our house. Luckily no one was at home. Our adjuster David ** was on it very quick and within a couple weeks the entire roof was replaced. The interior was completed professionally as well. Lots of drama initially as expected but our adjuster was reassuring and very helpful during the entire process. Everyone that I interacted with at Homesite Homeowners Insurance was very professional. They did not try and cut corners on anything and actually exceeded my expectations with a completely new roof.

Original review: May 9, 2017

Last year a hail storm damaged my roof. After filing a claim I found that a $2500 deductible was in the fine print for storm damage. They also don't cover depreciation or recoverable loss. So my quote for $11,000 to replace the roof resulted in a $2400 payout. I decided to save the money and add to it until I could replace my roof. On the next renewal they QUADRUPLED my policy from $800 to $3200 a year, basically taking the money right back. Since my roof is damaged I have not found an insurance company that will take me. Homesite is basically extorting money at a faster rate than I can save to replace my roof. When I asked for justification they told me since I had made a claim and my credit rating was lower (I monitor my credit, it was not lower) that I was a high risk customer.

Original review: May 8, 2017

I had homeowners with Homesite Insurance and when my storage unit was burglarized they called me a fraud. She accused me of putting in a claim for over 300,000 when the claim for less than 15,000. After a year and a half of fighting them to insure the loss, they refused claiming the pictures I submitted were not valid. They gave me every excuse under the Sun for not paying for the loss. They are the biggest scam artists of the century. If anyone knows of a class action lawsuit against this company let me know... I want in!

Original review: April 28, 2017

There was strong rain in SoCal last Feb, and it damaged our ceiling. The rain came through a balcony (which has some issue. Claimed to HOA and they will do the External Repair, but not Interior.) and damaged our ceiling. But Homestead declined right away stating that RAIN perils are excluded. But my understanding is, the RAIN exclusion is when there is a neglect on my end such as leaving my windows open or door open, etc. But this was not that case. Homestead SHOULD cover this and either get reimbursed from HOA's Insurance or cover with my current limit of dwelling. I kept on sending email and leaving message to adjuster but no response whatsoever. Horrible. Do not go for this company. I trusted them since I went through GEICO but I think GEICO should give up the partnership with them.

Original review: April 21, 2017

Initial rates were low and customer service was decent for our first year with them. The second consecutive year with Homesite our rates doubled... I was beyond frustrated. We had never filed any claims, my credit score had not changed and when we made contact with them after finding out from our mortgage company they made the excuse that because our insurance scores had went down 7 points and that was their basis to double our rates. DO NOT FALL FOR THESE WORTHLESS INSURANCE PEOPLE.

Original review: April 7, 2017

Overpriced, do not provide discounts for usual fire prevention items, keeping them on only until I transfer my whole package of two homes and autos.

Original review: March 30, 2017

They don't cover **. They will find excuses like your deductible to not pay for anything. I had a fence collapse due to the storms and they use a bogus "fence depreciation" calculations where my claim doesn't pass my deductible. Therefore, they won't cover **. ** Homesite Insurance. They are scumbags.

Original review: March 27, 2017

Due to an improperly installed roof that we needed to replace entirely, we suffered mold and water damage on the interior of our home. We absorbed $45,000 of the cost for the roof replacement and mold removal and remediation. Homesite said our policy did not cover the roof replacement or mold removal but would cover the cost of restoration of the drywall, etc. We did not challenge them on this but found that they only allowed $5,000 for the restoration which actually cost us over $10,000. Also, shortly after the aforementioned work was completed, we received notice that the cost of our annual insurance policy had almost doubled from $1,300 to over $2,500. When I inquired as to the reason, I was told that it was because of the claim. This has to be one of the worst scams that I have ever encountered. Disgusting!! I would definitely not recommend this company.

Original review: March 24, 2017

I filed a claim the beginning of March 2017 when we had a bad wind storm. An adjuster came out and estimated the roof. The estimate was around $7500.00, the depreciation was around $4500.00 and $2500.00 deductible. They send me a check for $416.83. I told them to close the claim and I sent the check back. This was an insult. So beware of HOMESITE HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE COMPANY who I got through Progressive auto insurance because they also judge your claim by the area you live in. So beware. By the way I switched my insurances. Hope this helps people before they decide to get this insurance company. Look up what they cover first before you decide to go with them.

Homesite Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Homesite is a company that is solely focused on providing people insurance for their residences. Homesite is one of the newer homeowners insurance companies around, founded in 1997, and the company operates out of its headquarters in Boston, MA.

• Variety of discounts: Homesite offers a bounty of discounts for their products, making them an affordable choice. These discounts include a moving-in discount, a bundle discount for auto and home insurance, a safety precautions discount and a new home discount.

• Highly specialized: Homesite only sells insurance for residences. Thus, they are experts on renter’s insurance, condo insurance, traditional homeowners insurance, and more.

• Excellent customer service: Customer service representatives at Homesite are available to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• History: Homesite Insurance is a younger than many of the bigger insurance companies and has yet to prove its reputation or legacy.

• Options: While Homesite offers homeowners insurance for typical dwellings, it does not offer policies for more unique homes such as farms or mobile homes.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners