3.9/5 (622 ratings)

About Homesite Insurance

Homesite works with its own customers and those referred from other companies, including Progressive. Homesite’s base plan is a good choice for homeowners seeking affordable coverage. Optional add-ons round out coverage for those needing more. Homesite has a strong financial strength rating from AM Best.

Pros

• Financially secure
  • Helpful customer service
  • Affordable options

Cons

• Base coverage lacking

Bottom Line

Homesite’s low premiums are a definite highlight. The most basic coverage could be better, but it serves some customers well, and the company's add-ons boost coverage.

Top Homesite Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Claims - This was so efficiently handled by Amanda. ... I was amazed. This was the time when all the hurricanes hit. ... yet in her calm, intelligent and good humored way she was ...

Verified

I had a small electrical fire in my basement which created more damage than I would’ve expected. I called Homesite immediately after the firefighters had left, and the rep’s first...

What is Homesite Insurance?

Homesite Insurance sells home insurance policies to customers across the United States. Homeowners who purchase a home insurance plan through Homesite are covered in case of specific damages to possessions or a home’s physical structure. Homesite’s insurance tends to cost less than other companies’ policies, but the base plan doesn’t include as much coverage.

Homesite homeowners insurance cost

Most Homesite homeowners insurance plans range from $900 to $1,900 a year. Quotes differ based on the value of the policy, the location of the covered home and the amount of coverage.

Homesite's homeowners insurance is generally cheaper than its competitors’ policies. This makes it a good choice for those looking to protect their home without breaking the bank.

Homesite insurance premium examples

Policy valueAnnual premium
$75,000$900
$150,000$975
$200,000$1,150
$350,000$1,900

What does Homesite homeowners insurance cover?

One option with Homesite is to purchase the base package. This attracts customers who are obligated to have homeowners insurance and want an affordable option. The basic homeowners policy from Homesite covers:

• Dwelling coverage: This covers damage to the physical structure of a home from covered events, including windstorms or hail.
  • Personal property coverage: This covers your belongings inside and outside your home, including appliances, furniture, clothing and electronics. If they are damaged, destroyed or stolen, Homesite covers them.
  • Loss of use coverage: If your home must undergo repairs and it becomes uninhabitable, this coverage pays for hotel rooms, restaurant meals and alternative transportation.
  • Personal liability coverage: If someone injured on your property files a lawsuit against you, this covers legal fees.
  • Medical payments for guests: If a guest is injured on the property, this coverage pays for medical bills.

Homesite has optional add-ons, also known as policy riders or endorsements. Add-ons increase the price of premiums, but they also increase your coverage.

• Identity theft: If your identity is stolen, this coverage pays for relevant legal fees.
  • Valuables: Additional coverage exists for high-worth valuables, such as expensive jewelry and art.
  • Personal injury protection: This pays for legal fees associated with invasion of privacy, libel and slander.
  • Service line breakdown coverage: This coverage is often necessary for customers who own a service line.
  • Sump pump overflow coverage: Homesite covers repairs needed after a sump pump overflows.

Homesite homeowners insurance discounts

Homesite offers discounts that lower premiums, including:

• Home alarm discount: Homes with a smoke or fire detector or a home security system qualify for a reduction in premiums.
  • Age-related discount: Customers who are older than 55 and living on a fixed income pay less for policies.
  • Home age discount: Newer homes are eligible for a discount.
  • Bundled insurance: Bundle auto and home insurance with Homesite for reduced premiums.

Homesite homeowners insurance FAQ

Is Homesite Insurance part of Geico?
No, but GEICO and several companies offer homeowners insurance through Homesite.
Does Homesite offer other insurance options?
Yes, Homesite sells home, condo, renters, auto, life, commercial and flood insurance. Customers with more than one insurance plan from Homesite bundle them for a discount.
How do I file a claim with Homesite?
To file a claim, call Homesite directly or fill out its online claim form.
Does Homesite choose the contractor for repairs?
No, customers choose the contractor, although Homesite sometimes makes recommendations.

Is Homesite Insurance good?

Overall, Homesite is a good choice for homeowners insurance. Its base plan is affordable, though it lacks some basic coverage that most other home insurance companies include. Customers unhappy with this can enroll in the necessary add-ons. Although reviews vary, many note that customer service is friendly and helpful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

Homesite is billing me for a policy that doesn't exist due to their own IT error. Hard to believe, but in fact I don't have a policy, yet they are billing me over $2000. They have promised repeatedly that their IT team will fix this issue in their own database, but after 2 months and multiple phone calls, it still isn't resolved and I have received notice of a late payment for a policy that doesn't actually exist in their system. I have filed BBB case **.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

Canceled my policy without a letter phone call or email, informed me when I called them, the roof needed replacement. I informed them it was scheduled for the spring. Well that's not good enough for them. But they had no problem taking my money.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 28, 2022

Homesite - via Geico - has insured our home since we moved here in November 2020. Didn't know it wasn't Geico until we filed a claim -- Geico sublets home insurance to Homesite, a company dead last in JD Power rankings. On June 10 we had a once-in-a-lifetime hail/rainstorm. Gutters filled to the top with hail, then 3 inches of rain fell within an hour. Water overwhelmed the gutters, which were filled with hail, dropped down instead of being carried away and entered one of the basement windows - above the foundation - flooding the basement. Homesite says this is ground water and that it is not covered. But Homesite's own definition of ground water is water below the surface of the ground.

This was at ground level, not below it, and we provided the adjuster ample proof with pictures from during and after the storm. After the adjustor requested estimates from carpeting and drywall contractors we were given this decision 43 days after filing the claim. This followed the pattern set with the first part of the claim - the hail damage to our roof. We are the only house among more than 50 contracted by our roofer that is not getting an insured gutter replacement. Homesite calls the damage cosmetic. It also won't cover our deck needing to be resurfaced, even though that is also industry standard. When we purchased this policy we checked every replacement value option available. We always overinsure. Despite that, we were given "replacement value minus unrecoverable depreciation" on the roof, meaning Homesite will pay roughly half the cost.

A six-word addendum to the policy stuck in the middle of 50 pages negates all the paragraphs in the policy that say we are getting full replacement value. It's a bad-faith bait-and-switch and fully in line with the terrible, unresponsive customer service provided throughout this process. We have $39,000 in damage, and we got a check for a little over $13,000. Homesite either squeaks through loopholes or flatly lies about damage, and it seems to be company policy to not return phone messages or emails. Do not trust this company to protect your home – insurers are supposed to make things better, not far worse, when a disaster hits.

Original review: July 6, 2022

I had a camera bag stolen from my vehicle that was in my driveway. I have a police report. The issue is the camera was gifted to us by my late mother who passed on 5/26/22. Obviously, I can't get those receipts as she has passed, and have no clue where/if she even has them. I provided the model numbers and costs etc. and basically was told, oh well, sucks for you. Allstate would have NEVER been so shallow like this. I strongly discourage you from ever doing business with this company!!

Original review: June 4, 2022

In August of 2021, my children and I were unable to be inside the home I was renting. The home had dad moldy smell. We had a hot and humid June July and August! It wasn’t until September I was able to walk inside the property without having my skin burn! My children left August 1st and I never brought them back inside that home again! I thought back-and-forth with my landlord. I filed an insurance claim and at the time did not know that it was mold that was giving us this reaction. When I had the test completed on the filter for the furnace and the test came back positive and high with mold spores and I haven’t even ran the AC or the heater as we were moving into fall.

I slept in my vehicle, I lost my children, I had a judge tell me that I could not have my children live inside a property that had mold, however she didn’t allow me to speak because I wasn’t there for the two court dates prior to that my ex had behind my back. Under my renter's insurance policy, since we were unable to be inside the home for long periods of time, we didn’t even sleep there. I tried to call Homesite several times. I was told the original claim I opened in August 2021 what is the claim they would use. I sent them a copy of the mold report completed by a licensed agent. I was even told by the adjuster, she was just going to deny my claim and send me a letter. She wasn’t even going to call me.

When you do call them back immediately, they don’t answer their phone. You can call them right back, and it would go to voicemail. So I started to leave emails as well! Documentation! Because I could see what type of company this was! The Home had forced air and you could see there was stuff growing on my personal property. I was told I needed to take pictures, not throw anything away, and save any receipts. I was also told a claim would be opened. I had to call back three days later and ask about the claim! When I called the second time to update once I found out what the issue was I wasn’t offered a safe place to breathe and live with my children. And when I asked why someone wouldn’t come out, even though the paperwork they send says they will use a third-party to come to the home and look at the items.

I kept calling, I kept asking, I kept begging! And pleading! And nothing! My claim was closed and they didn’t even send me yeah a denial letter. New norm so I could appeal. This company has lied. And I can prove it. This company owes me and my children for everything we lost. They could have just simply helped and paid out on the claim! Once I did get an answer about the payment for the claim, it was $2500! For a $20,000 policy!!! My policy wasn’t outrageous it was my first policy! I didn’t expect to have mold inside the air ducks, I paid to have them cleaned twice! The adjuster even went as far as to block my emails! And I was lied to. I was told she no longer work there.

After a little bit of digging on this insurance company. Homesite insurance of Florida, I saw they had a review or an audit I should say and in that audit states that they were not paying out on their claims! This was back in 2017! Can you imagine how many people have lost so much and they haven’t been held accountable for? I have some pretty damaging printed screens of messages or lack thereof in regards to this company!!! What blows my mind, were they able to take my payment upfront for a year, before the claim was even closed, they already have the billing up a month prior to for the start of the next policy! This has been the worst experience for my children and I! Please not go with this company for insurance purposes!!

Original review: May 4, 2022

As a first time homeowner, we saw the great bundle savings going with Homesite (they are bundled with our car insurance). Sign up was a breeze! ....because they get to accept your money!, and from there it ends. Claim 1, June 1st 2021. Took until NOVEMBER 2021 for them to agree to an estimate (after 6 contractors, 2 of which charged to show up). Work done...OK, finally it's over, I just need them to issue payment for the contractors. Fast forward, May 2022, 0, and I MEAN 0 contact from them. Email and call and text to the adjuster (Daily), actually 2 adjusters and a manager because I made the BBB threat, and I have the contractors ready to file small claims against us.

Claim 2, our icing on the cake, occurred while back and fourth for claim 1 was in progress. Took a week for adjuster to come, and I was told within 72 hours they will discuss the claim. Back to the drawing board. As with the last claim, I am again jumping through hoops trying to just speak with anyone there. I have 2 claims.

I have damaged property barely holding together as I wait for them. I am now personally losing money, credit scores, mental stability. I will follow through with direct company management communication regarding this situation, but regardless of the outcome, I will be cancelling what they call a service. All business outlets available to me and the public will read this warning. Do not use. Irresponsible, Negligent, LAZY.

Original review: March 28, 2022

The signup process for insurance was quick and easy. We made our first payment, and there was nothing on our to-do list, everything seemed fine. Then out of the blue I received a notification via email on a Friday evening that my policy was being canceled in 45 days and there was no explanation as to why. Thanks for the weekend gift. I called first thing Monday to figure out what was going on and I was told that an inspector tried to take pictures in the house but was unable to get access. I asked if we could send out another inspector and they said 'no', once a policy was on the path to cancellation, there was nothing you could do. We would need to get a requote, new policy, and then get a new inspection.

Let me be clear that all of the customer service folks were all very helpful. However, I never received any notification that an inspector needed to look through the house, before or after said attempted inspection. It's insane to not even give one warning about needing an inspection before canceling a policy, especially for folks who are paying already! Homesite, please fix your automated rules for canceling policies. This was 100% avoidable, and it's your fault. I have lost complete trust in your company. If you can't even manage notifications for inspections, what are you going to do when I really need help?

Sincerely,

Very stressed out new homeowner

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

Willful Negligence. Personal Property. Fraud. Racketeering. These words all have meaning legally. Most of us have a vague understanding of what these terms mean, but aren't well versed in the true nuanced conveyance they carry with them. Criminals do. Especially White Collar Criminals. Mind you Personal Property, is property you own that you can physically move as you move. Therefore a house is Real Property. You can still own it, but it's not meant to move as you move.

I've had what I thought was Progressive Renters Insurance since 2019. I've never had renters insurance before, and I don't know why id never heard about it up til then. Wow, some peace of mind, that JUST IN CASE, something happens, I covered my **. I've never been robbed. I had a real beater bike stolen once, but they couldn't do anything worse to that bike that I hadn't already done. Hey perfect excuse to get a new bike. Cool. In hindsight I'm glad I went with a different insurance company seeing as that I've spent bought a grand on a beach cruiser that I've upgraded into something pretty cool.

Anyway, one day, I'm riding around and I see this guy on this super cool looking scooter, it's pretty cool, quiet... Must be electric, why not go online and have a look. And I did, and about 2 weeks later, after checking with the DMV, and getting confirmation from the manufacturer that it was street legal here in California, I called Progressive (up to this point I still thought Progressive held my policy) and I told them about the scooter. Doesn't need to be registered, Don't need a special license or any endorsement, and I don't need liability insurance to operate it. With those factors involved this makes the scooter fall under the "Personal Property" category. It literally moves as I move with it. The rep on the phone affirmed that with me and that I would be covered under my Policy. 10,000 for loss due to Natural Disaster or Theft of personal property. I even poped for the Extension, that precludes me from any loss of value due to depreciation.

I paid 2,300 for the escooter, and I put about 1,000 into it. Sweet. That was Aug 2021. Jan 5-6th 2022, and the scooter was stolen from my property. I cover and lock that bike every night. Every night. Nobody gets robbed in my neighborhood. Once in great while, a window gets smashed, but nobody leaves their stuff in their car. This night, I failed to cover and lock my scooter. And someone stole it.... After the initial shock, I called the police, my credit card company, and my insurance, but this time I was contacted by an adjuster from Homesite.

Within the first 5 or 6 mins of the conversation, I have already been informed what the percentages are of it being covered and that they have been denying these types of claims a lot recently, so not sure if they can do anything to help. I've never been robbed, I've filed a claim for my cell phone once or twice, but that is the sting of 100 bucks. This is 3300/3400 hundred dollars that I put on my Southwest card at 25% apr. And I'm 6 payments in.

My adjuster has absolutely no bedside manner, I'm crushed by my loss, and I'm getting backhand slapped by a complete stranger that (I think) she found joy in telling me that any evaluation of the actual value of anything stolen will be USED prices not NEW.... USED.... And then after that, they will determine a fair value, and THEN add in the depreciation of the items, and that will set the determination of what they will cover. Thanks. I'm gonna go cry now. What? So I pay you every month. Never missed a payment. Never Filed a claim before. And your opening is You ain't Getting Jack Squat buddy? Again thank you.

They will review the claim and get back to me. Now, I don't think my adjuster thought that written communication was "her thing" cause everything that was in writing was mundane, dry, emotionless, and lacked that human vibe. Now get my adjuster on the phone, loves to cut loose and tell me all the stuff she can't be legally bound to because of hear-say evidence. Told me that the fact my scooter looks like a chopper, might be an issue. So what? It could look like a tangerine, doesn't change the legality of its classification. Then I was instructed to send over pictures, and receipts and proofs of purchase with time and date. Ok, so I sent here over a dozen invoices with all that information. And informed her that I was having issues with uploading photos to the site. No response. Also never got a response verifying my police report.

3 days later, I got another email, telling me that I didn't upload the documents or the photos properly and needed to do it again, but this time I needed to send in an itemized list of all the stolen stuff and individually record the time, dates of purchase, each with its own receipt, and PROOF OF PURCHASE, and any photos with me in the picture and they have to be from the same camera that I own. Can't be photos from a different phone or downloaded from any site. What? Then I'm asked specifically to find them ANYWHERE where that has my scooter priced at 2300 dollars, cause the most they found was 1100 and that was premium price. Are you telling me that my scooter was a cheap piece of trash, and somehow implying that I'm a fool for even filing a claim for such a cheap piece of trash. Now I'm just insulted. Here's everything from Amazon.. You fill it out, do your job. Should have taken her up on it.

Long story short, My claim was partially denied. The scooter was out, but the stuff with the bike is good. Well, sort of. Initially they told me that they assessed my loss to be 410 dollars, minus 13 change for DEPRECIATION. And after my 500 dollar deductible. They found that my award was 0.00. And thanks for choosing Homesite. Except you forgot the $545 dollar lithium ion battery (I bought a month before), The $87 dollar lock (I got from England), The $30 foot pegs (that I went through 3 pairs to find ones that fit right) A set of tactile gloves at $30, and the Mirrors, split set $50 dollars. But, to their credit, they did award me 18 dollars for the glow in the dark powder that was on the same invoice as a set of the rearview mirrors. But not the mirrors. And I used all that powder already.

The powder was at the bottom of the invoice and the mirrors were the first item listed. My adjuster apologized and said she forgot the Battery, and will send something right out correcting it. 24 hours later I've got 3 emails letting me know that my check has been processed for the amount of $551. What about the other stuff.... Oh, she never got those invoices... Except one of the things you left off, is on the same invoice you added something that wasn't relevant to the claim. Sharp thinking.... Why don't I send you a copy of a dictionary and you can look up the word FRAUD, and Willful Neglegence, and assess that for me.. And while you're at it, explain this to me.... Per my policy...."Things we don't cover: A) Any article listed or specifically described in this or any other insurance. B) Fish or Birds."

My sailboat would be covered or its engines. My tractor more than likely too. And my Grandmother rascal scooter. See my adjuster gave me 3 reasons why I would be denied. Last being "because I don't have to kick start it, and it runs under its own power." What? Truth is you have to pass all the really important stuff in the front have of the policy to get to the boring details. Well they don't cover "motorized vehicles or motorized land conveyances" The boat is all good, and the tractor, and grandma's rascal. But not my scooter. And all the stuff they are trying to shove into my hand, none of that, according to the policy is covered. But they are. Just not my scooter.

I have already written the California Department of Insurance, The BBB, and nowhere. And I'm researching the heck out of this so when I take Progressive and Homesite to small claims for 10,000, for deceptive business practices, breach of contract, and fraud, I hope the court awards triple damages for me having to deal with this whole nightmare. And I can't find an attorney to even look at my case.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

The worst. The insurance is through Geico. I filed a claim of vandalism that flooded my house. They didn't pay a cent, and spent over a month dealing with an claims inspector. I had to repeatedly call to get updates (they never called me) while all our furniture was in our bedroom and our contractor waited. Avoid at all costs. Do not bundle with Geico (their car insurance is great).

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

I have a condo policy with Progressive Insurance by Homesite. We had a power surge in the building that knocked out our elevator. Each condo owner was assessed $4500 to repair the damages after the HOA policy had paid. I made a claim under our assessment coverage and within 7 days had a check in my hand. About three months later we were assessed an additional $450 for labor and material increases after the repair work had begun. I submitted a supplement to Homesite and within 24 hours my adjuster contacted me to let me know she had just approved the supplement and a check would go out that very day. I have NEVER had such good claims service from an insurance company, and I worked as a claim adjuster myself for 15 years! Thanks Homesite!!!

Homesite Insurance Company Information