Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

2. Homeowners
  3. Homeowners Insurance

3.9/5 (416 ratings)
Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About Homesite Insurance

Homesite works with its own customers and those referred from other companies, including Progressive. Homesite’s base plan is a good choice for homeowners seeking affordable coverage. Optional add-ons round out coverage for those needing more. Homesite has a strong financial strength rating from AM Best.

Pros

• Financially secure
  • Helpful customer service
  • Affordable options

Cons

• Base coverage lacking

Bottom Line

Homesite’s low premiums are a definite highlight. The most basic coverage could be better, but it serves some customers well, and the company's add-ons boost coverage.

Top Homesite Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Claims - This was so efficiently handled by Amanda. ... I was amazed. This was the time when all the hurricanes hit. ... yet in her calm, intelligent and good humored way she was ...

Verified

I had a small electrical fire in my basement which created more damage than I would’ve expected. I called Homesite immediately after the firefighters had left, and the rep’s first...

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

What is Homesite Insurance?

Homesite Insurance sells home insurance policies to customers across the United States. Homeowners who purchase a home insurance plan through Homesite are covered in case of specific damages to possessions or a home’s physical structure. Homesite’s insurance tends to cost less than other companies’ policies, but the base plan doesn’t include as much coverage.

Homesite homeowners insurance cost

Most Homesite homeowners insurance plans range from $900 to $1,900 a year. Quotes differ based on the value of the policy, the location of the covered home and the amount of coverage.

Homesite's homeowners insurance is generally cheaper than its competitors’ policies. This makes it a good choice for those looking to protect their home without breaking the bank.

Homesite insurance premium examples

Policy valueAnnual premium
$75,000$900
$150,000$975
$200,000$1,150
$350,000$1,900

What does Homesite homeowners insurance cover?

One option with Homesite is to purchase the base package. This attracts customers who are obligated to have homeowners insurance and want an affordable option. The basic homeowners policy from Homesite covers:

• Dwelling coverage: This covers damage to the physical structure of a home from covered events, including windstorms or hail.
  • Personal property coverage: This covers your belongings inside and outside your home, including appliances, furniture, clothing and electronics. If they are damaged, destroyed or stolen, Homesite covers them.
  • Loss of use coverage: If your home must undergo repairs and it becomes uninhabitable, this coverage pays for hotel rooms, restaurant meals and alternative transportation.
  • Personal liability coverage: If someone injured on your property files a lawsuit against you, this covers legal fees.
  • Medical payments for guests: If a guest is injured on the property, this coverage pays for medical bills.

Homesite has optional add-ons, also known as policy riders or endorsements. Add-ons increase the price of premiums, but they also increase your coverage.

• Identity theft: If your identity is stolen, this coverage pays for relevant legal fees.
  • Valuables: Additional coverage exists for high-worth valuables, such as expensive jewelry and art.
  • Personal injury protection: This pays for legal fees associated with invasion of privacy, libel and slander.
  • Service line breakdown coverage: This coverage is often necessary for customers who own a service line.
  • Sump pump overflow coverage: Homesite covers repairs needed after a sump pump overflows.

Homesite homeowners insurance discounts

Homesite offers discounts that lower premiums, including:

• Home alarm discount: Homes with a smoke or fire detector or a home security system qualify for a reduction in premiums.
  • Age-related discount: Customers who are older than 55 and living on a fixed income pay less for policies.
  • Home age discount: Newer homes are eligible for a discount.
  • Bundled insurance: Bundle auto and home insurance with Homesite for reduced premiums.

Homesite homeowners insurance FAQ

Is Homesite Insurance part of Geico?
No, but GEICO and several companies offer homeowners insurance through Homesite.
Does Homesite offer other insurance options?
Yes, Homesite sells home, condo, renters, auto, life, commercial and flood insurance. Customers with more than one insurance plan from Homesite bundle them for a discount.
How do I file a claim with Homesite?
To file a claim, call Homesite directly or fill out its online claim form.
Does Homesite choose the contractor for repairs?
No, customers choose the contractor, although Homesite sometimes makes recommendations.

Is Homesite Insurance good?

Overall, Homesite is a good choice for homeowners insurance. Its base plan is affordable, though it lacks some basic coverage that most other home insurance companies include. Customers unhappy with this can enroll in the necessary add-ons. Although reviews vary, many note that customer service is friendly and helpful.

Homesite Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Original review: June 26, 2021

They would insure my home when no one else would. However, they raised my premiums over $950 dollars my last renewal. I was not happy with that!! They gave the reason that I live in a high fire risk area. I have lived here for 30 years. Why now?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I write this Homesite Insurance review with complete satisfaction! In the fall of 2020, I faced a devastating occurrence in my home. I woke up to water standing about three feet! I was greatly overcome with the thought of, “Oh my God what am I going to do now?” After getting in contact with my adjuster. Ms. Angela **, I have had absolutely “no worries!” Every step of the way she immediately responded to all of my concerns and made sure Homesite honored every contractual agreement! I would definitely recommend this company to family and friends.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 14, 2021

Lead me to believe the damage to my restroom due to leak in wall would be covered. We got all the way to accepting EFT then it was rejected. All I get is it's just not covered and, "Sorry we misinterpreted your policy and coverage."

Original review: July 6, 2021

Do not get Homesite Insurance! They are wanting to do patchwork repairs for damages to a 22 year old house caused by a 140 mph winds storm. Claims rep's supervisor gets belligerent, rude and has accused me of being dishonest, he is refusing to provide policy pages showing what is considered a suitable repair. Have had 4 different desk adjusters in a 2 months and all of them ask for documentation that has been sent in multiple times. They are also refusing to honor line of sight, which in my state is a law. This is by far the worst insurance company I've heard of! I have neighbors with damages identical to mine and their repairs have been completed and paid in full by their insurance companies, obviously they went with a more reputable company.

Original review: June 20, 2021

Terrible and shady insurance company. They will sell you insurance, after a few days a home inspector takes pictures of your house from outside without your permission which is completely unethical and unprofessional. If they will find any small issue f which they feel might turn into a claim they will cancel your insurance and would take forever to refund you. Basically all they want is your money but don’t want to process any of the claims. For example our roof has 2 shingles missing and they want us to replace the whole roof in order to continue with the insurance. (I had the roof inspected by another home inspector and per report it was good for another 8-10 years). It is backed by progressive car insurance company. I would avoid this company at all costs in the future

Original review: May 10, 2021

I started a claim 2 months ago have had companies out to my house for estimates and now I can't get a response from anyone with this company. I have sent numerous emails for the last 3 weeks - no response.

Original review: April 28, 2021

On March 23rd I received a call from my wife while I was at work. She stated that there was an extreme smell in that smelled like raw sewage. I immediately left work and came home. I went to the access point under the house but did not open the hatch due to raw sewage pressing against the entrance. At that point I knew for sure that we had raw sewage in the crawl space. I immediately got the family out of the house, including my 91 year old disabled father in law for safety. We went to nearest hotel and I initiated a claim to my home insurance company Homesite group Inc.

I called Homesite the next day and was told initially that they don’t cover pipes and then that my case was going to be transferred to another adjuster but I was told to do what I had to do to get the issue resolved and protect my family. The next day I contacted PDQ restorations to clean and sanitize the crawl space because I needed to get a Plummer in there to see what happened. Please note the crawl space is not dirt. It is cement. In order for PDQ to get to the crawl space with their equipment I had to create a whole in the floor. This was the only way they could gain entrance and bring in the equipment needed.

Over the next 24 house I was able to get 3 plumbers to look at the issue. 2 out of the 3 used cameras in the line to see what happened. All three told me that the line was broken under the house. I have a video of camera inspection from Mark Lindsay and Son, who ended up doing the job. I was told by all three the job would be 15-20k because the old pipe could not be saved as there is no way to excavated in a 12-18 inch crawl space without completely destroying the living room floor.

On March 26th, I called Homesite and spoke with Whitney ** who is the desk adjuster, she informed me once again that this incident is not covered. I begged her to send an adjuster out to the house to see what was happening before the repair. She stated she would try to send someone out. As far as the work, I went with the lowest bid which was 15k to have the problem resolved as soon as possible. The work was completed March 27th. The field Adjuster (I can get his name) did come to the house and crawled into the hole that I had to make for remediation of the issue. I asked him what he thought and he said he sees the work that is getting done and that he believe that this will be covered because it happened in the crawlspace of the house. He also stated that they should cover the damage to the floor. He said he would write it up in that way.

Starting the week of the 29th I starting collecting any information I could get. I also had get the whole in the floor fix as soon as possible as I have a 91 year old man living with us and this was an unsafe situation for him and everyone in the house. I had the floor repaired and flooring put over top as the hard wood was damaged and would have cost more to replace it with hardwood. So over the next few weeks until today April 28th, 2021, I have sent all of the documentation, invoices explanations from the plumbers. Permits from the town, anything and everything they could need. Multiple phone calls and e-mails were sent to Ms. **. Each time I spoke with her she said the claim is denied.

They closed the case today and said they were covering nothing because the house was not damaged. This is a ridiculous statement given the facts. Whitney ** stated that wear and tear on pipes is not covered. I told her that it very well could have been faulty workmanship which is covered. She stated that they will not cover the floor damage because there was no physical damage to the crawlspace. This is a ludicrous statement. I told her, the cement floor in the crawlspace was damaged from the unsafe bacteria and pathogens that were in the raw sewage. This is DAMAGE and the insurance company is obligated to cover this charge.

Here is breakdown of the expense this costing my family:

1. 15 k for new line installation as old line could not be salvaged
    2. 5k for remediation and cleanup of raw sewage in the crawl space.
    3. 1k for plumbers camera examinations

4. 1k for hotel rooms (2) for 5 people including a disabled 91 year old man.

Total cost $22,000

Original review: April 27, 2021

Called about hot water leak under a tile in the kitchen. Keep trying to explain to customer service it wasn't the water heater, but the hot water line going to kitchen sink. Sent adjuster out to do his thing, only he said since there was no visible damage the claim was rejected. I was told by the rep to turn off the hot water so it would not leak. It has been over 3 weeks since we had full time hot water. The only way Homesite will cover a slab leak is to have concrete dug up leak repaired, before homesite will send out a adjuster before they will pay to repair a slab leak so be very aware of homesite.

Original review: April 1, 2021

Not only are the deductibles ridiculously high but when you try to cancel it doesn't happen. They took my money and now won't cancel in spite of my request prior to the end of my previous policy. Want me to provide them my personal information on what new company I chose with better service. This is none of your business.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

To already be going through a pandemic and money tight. Texas suffered a horrible disaster. I went without power and water for a week. Including my infant child and 9 year old. We slept in 5 degrees weather for days. To be informed by manager that the money I lost in food, hotel stay is not covered is unacceptable. Geico should be ashamed to be associated with this company and referring their customers to them. We should not be pushed behind things we have no control over.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I ended up with a policy through Homesite when I "bundled" my insurance through Progressive. I fully disclosed the age of my roof when I got the quote and paid for the property insurance. My roof was aged but did not leak, all shingles were intact. A month after paying for the policy, I receive an email that "a new document has been posted to your policy". I log in and find out the "new document" is a cancellation notice - unless I provide evidence that my roof is replaced within 40 days my policy will be cancelled.

I received this notice in the middle of winter in Ohio, not exactly the best time to replace a roof. I get some roofers out for quotes and they all said there was no urgency in replacing the roof, but nonetheless I had it replaced. Homesite told me to submit documents to a generic CustomerService@homesite.com email. I submitted the documents and only received an automated response that someone will review the data and get back to me. Over a week later I still have no response and my policy is still shown as "cancelled." If this is how they handle communications I can't imagine they pay claims in a timely manner. I would advise anyone purchasing a "bundled" policy to check closely who actually is providing the insurance. I have found out that in some locales Homesite provides homeowner's insurance for GEICO as well as Progressive.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I had a house fire in October, Homesite was nice at first and then became unwilling to answer phone calls or return my calls. After Fire inspector gave his report they are trying to find a reason to deny my claim, I will have to sue for repairs of my home. I am disabled and have lung disease and can barley walk, they are trying to put me out in street during the coldest times of the year. Both me and my Grandson were downstairs when Fire started and they are treating us as criminals.

I have no relatives in this state and there for have no place to go for shelter and I suggest to any and everyone do not buy Insurance from Homesite Insurance because they act in bad faith. I have had to put out of pocket expenses for Personal Property storage, Textile cleaning, living expenses and take a loss on all my Personal Property that was damaged. Is still under investigation and will let all know if I need to sue or they come clean and honor their commitment. This is only what I am going through with this company as of 12-2020.

Homesite Insurance Company Information