Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.30/5

Homesite works with its own customers and those referred from other companies, including Progressive. Homesite’s base plan is a good choice for homeowners seeking affordable coverage. Optional add-ons round out coverage for those needing more. Homesite has a strong financial strength rating from AM Best.

BOTTOM LINE

Homesite’s low premiums are a definite highlight. The most basic coverage could be better, but it serves some customers well, and the company's add-ons boost coverage.

PROS

• Financially secure
  • Helpful customer service
  • Affordable options

CONS

• Base coverage lacking

Top Homesite Insurance Reviews

Claims - This was so efficiently handled by Amanda. ... I was amazed. This was the time when all the hurricanes hit. ... yet in her calm, intelligent and good humored way she was terrific. If I could give six stars I would. ... thanks.

I had a small electrical fire in my basement which created more damage than I would’ve expected. I called Homesite immediately after the firefighters had left, and the rep’s first question was if my family and I were all ok. Very nice touch during a stressful time. ... I’m very happy with Homesite.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

What is Homesite Insurance?

Homesite Insurance sells home insurance policies to customers across the United States. Homeowners who purchase a home insurance plan through Homesite are covered in case of specific damages to possessions or a home’s physical structure. Homesite’s insurance tends to cost less than other companies’ policies, but the base plan doesn’t include as much coverage.

Homesite homeowners insurance cost

Most Homesite homeowners insurance plans range from $900 to $1,900 a year. Quotes differ based on the value of the policy, the location of the covered home and the amount of coverage.

Homesite's homeowners insurance is generally cheaper than its competitors’ policies. This makes it a good choice for those looking to protect their home without breaking the bank.

Homesite insurance premium examples

Policy valueAnnual premium
$75,000$900
$150,000$975
$200,000$1,150
$350,000$1,900

What does Homesite homeowners insurance cover?

One option with Homesite is to purchase the base package. This attracts customers who are obligated to have homeowners insurance and want an affordable option. The basic homeowners policy from Homesite covers:

• Dwelling coverage: This covers damage to the physical structure of a home from covered events, including windstorms or hail.
  • Personal property coverage: This covers your belongings inside and outside your home, including appliances, furniture, clothing and electronics. If they are damaged, destroyed or stolen, Homesite covers them.
  • Loss of use coverage: If your home must undergo repairs and it becomes uninhabitable, this coverage pays for hotel rooms, restaurant meals and alternative transportation.
  • Personal liability coverage: If someone injured on your property files a lawsuit against you, this covers legal fees.
  • Medical payments for guests: If a guest is injured on the property, this coverage pays for medical bills.

Homesite has optional add-ons, also known as policy riders or endorsements. Add-ons increase the price of premiums, but they also increase your coverage.

• Identity theft: If your identity is stolen, this coverage pays for relevant legal fees.
  • Valuables: Additional coverage exists for high-worth valuables, such as expensive jewelry and art.
  • Personal injury protection: This pays for legal fees associated with invasion of privacy, libel and slander.
  • Service line breakdown coverage: This coverage is often necessary for customers who own a service line.
  • Sump pump overflow coverage: Homesite covers repairs needed after a sump pump overflows.

Homesite homeowners insurance discounts

Homesite offers discounts that lower premiums, including:

• Home alarm discount: Homes with a smoke or fire detector or a home security system qualify for a reduction in premiums.
  • Age-related discount: Customers who are older than 55 and living on a fixed income pay less for policies.
  • Home age discount: Newer homes are eligible for a discount.
  • Bundled insurance: Bundle auto and home insurance with Homesite for reduced premiums.

Homesite homeowners insurance FAQ

Is Homesite Insurance part of Geico?
No, but GEICO and several companies offer homeowners insurance through Homesite.
Does Homesite offer other insurance options?
Yes, Homesite sells home, condo, renters, auto, life, commercial and flood insurance. Customers with more than one insurance plan from Homesite bundle them for a discount.
How do I file a claim with Homesite?
To file a claim, call Homesite directly or fill out its online claim form.
Does Homesite choose the contractor for repairs?
No, customers choose the contractor, although Homesite sometimes makes recommendations.

Is Homesite Insurance good?

Overall, Homesite is a good choice for homeowners insurance. Its base plan is affordable, though it lacks some basic coverage that most other home insurance companies include. Customers unhappy with this can enroll in the necessary add-ons. Although reviews vary, many note that customer service is friendly and helpful.

Homesite Insurance Reviews

Original review: March 30, 2020

After getting a quote that was very reasonable I signed up for a homeowners policy. After the inspection I received a list for roof repair, painting wood portion of house (brick home so not entire house), and to replace a side porch that had already been removed and had a contractor agreement in process. I was given 30 days to complete repairs. I decided to replace the entire roof rather than repair it and this was finished in 2 weeks. The paint was in process and porch not yet finished when COVID-19 emergency occurred and I was told there would be delays in getting work finished in 30 days. Progressive gave me a specific phone number to contact Homesite and Progressive told me Homesite is giving extensions due to delays or issues related to COVID-19 emergency.

I called and asked for a 30 day extension from the cancellation date due to COVID-19 emergency. I provided proof that the roof replacement is finished, and can provide contracts for the other work. The Homesite representative answering this number lectured me that everyone is being affected right now and they have a business to run. After a lengthy conversation trying to get me to give up on the request, she finally told me underwriting would make a decision.

A week later and there is no response and I am 1 day from cancellation. I contacted Progressive and they were able to confirm that Homesite is going to let it cancel with no follow up to my phone conversation with Homesite's customer service line. The Progressive representative was trying to be helpful, but they cannot control what their partner Homesite does. But apparently Homesite is giving some but not all customers extensions due to the COVID-19 emergency. I feel that as this puts me in a stressful situation right now, I might actually be lucky that I have discovered what this company is like up front. If they cannot grant a reasonable request for an extension during a public health emergency, I can't imagine what it must be like to file a claim with them.

Original review: March 12, 2020

Insured our new home through Homesite Insurance. We were burglarized within a few days of us moving in, and I could not be more disappointed in how Homesite handled the situation. After deprecation and a large deductible, they only covered ~60% of our losses. After using the service for its intended purpose (replacing stolen and damaged goods), they have decided to kick us off the insurance for making a claim within 60 days of our policy starting. Homesite's parent company had over 10 billion in revenue in 2018. Hundreds of millions of dollars in profit. And they kicked us off the insurance we had already paid for because we used the service we bought. They have made a very stressful situation worse. I have switched providers and am paying hundreds of dollars more per year for the same coverage. Well worth it to get away from this predatory company. I'd give them zero stars if I could.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I have been a loyal customer of Progressive for years and have now learned that there's no value for that. We recently bought a second home, a condo, and chose progressive Homesite believing it would consolidate our insurances and make it hassle-free. They gave us a quote, which was good, and we bought it. A month later I review the policy and turns out we weren't given a welcome home discount, which we are entitled to, since we bought a new home. The person who handled our insurance the first time never asked if we purchased the house.

Called them and turns out they "can't" change the policy for some reason to give us that discount. More like they "won't." There was no attempt to help us out whatsoever, either from the person I spoke to or her supervisor. And this is simply a one-time discount--as the home cannot be considered a new purchase next year.

Truly upset with this lack of respect for long term customers and the nickel and diming. DO NOT advertise a discount if you're not actually willing to provide it to your customers, especially those with a long history with the company. Will be seeking insurance quotes elsewhere and transitioning shortly for all of our cars and both homes. It's not just about the money, it's about the attitude I received. I expect to be treated more respectfully as a customer.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

They insure you then pop up around Christmas saying you have to remove any debris from roof claiming an adjuster came by. So you waste your time paying for roof to be cleared and you send pics. They say pics are too dark. You send more pics. They say it’s not right view. You send more pics all while wasting your time and raising your bp. No one's on same page. Everyone tells you different info. Bottom line is I saw all the reviews were thousands have had same issue telling you that they will review it knowing you will be without coverage if you play into their crap. Nothing is good enough. They waste your time and stress you out. Save yourself the stress.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I recently moved from a condo to an a apartment. I was required to obtain rental insurance per the lease. So I called my auto insurance Geico and asked them to buy rental insurance. They referred me to HOMESITE INS. Two days after moving into my unit, my garage was entered by way of someone having a garage door opener that opened my garage and they took some of my belongings out of the garage. When I called to make a claim, I was questioned and it was insinuated that I was lying about the theft. I was taken aback by the way the claims adjuster was dealing with me. Then they denied my claim saying I did not have coverage.

When I proved I did, they then said they would only pay for my lost items if I provided them with receipts. This after I told them I did not have receipts, but I did have numerous pictures and videos showing proof I owned the items. They said they could not take pictures and videos as proof of ownership. Unbelievable. I got nothing from them but heartache and aggravation!! SAVE yourself DO NOT USE HOMESITE!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I called Homesite on December 21st, 2019 and cancelled our Homeowners Insurance. I was told that day it would take 24-48 hours for the refund to be electronically put back into our account. I waited a full week and no refund. I called back and was told it could take up to 10 days for the refund to show up. So again I waited 10 days and still no refund. I called again (3rd time) on January 8th, 2020 and this time was told it could take up to 30 days. OMG three different reps and three different stories. I called right back and ask to speak with a Supervisor. The rep got a Senior Insurance Agent on the phone who told me she was going to expedite my refund and it should be in my account tomorrow. Once again It did NOT show up.

This is the worst Customer Service I have come across. Keep the information I’m sharing in mind when choosing your Homeowners Ins. If they take 3-weeks + to refund your money they had no problem taking from your account how long would it take them to settle a claim. I am VERY dissatisfied with this company and would highly discourage anyone from signing with them. If they won’t refund the money they took from you they surely won’t want to pay out on a claim. Would DEFINITELY NOT recommend this company!!!!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Was signed up to Homesite Ins. through Progressive about one month ago. An inspector allegedly came out to my house to inspect. Made a report stating that my house roof was worn, lifting and/or buckling, and in need of a full replacement. I thought this was a joke of sorts. I was informed that they will cancel my policy if roof not replaced in 30 days. Really?? WTF????? Who has $12,000 for a new roof that I dont really need? Apparently the inspector is some sort of roofing expert. I have no plans to replace a roof that doesnt need replacing. Homesite had no problem taking my money. I am considering filing a bait and switch lawsuit against Homesite. RUN RUN RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THESE SNAKE OIL SALESPEOPLE.

I read a number of similar stories in the reviews. I think this is how they operate over and over. Takes your money, then cancels after trying to blackmail you. Not even BBB accredited. Is there no honesty anymore?? Not at Homesite Insurance. Try them if you dare. You will see first hand how you get treated right away. Or. Run away as fast as you can or be caught up in their game. Are they really an insurance company at all??? Sincerely doubt it.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Canceled policy on 11/19/19, 1/6/2020 refunded check for entire year still not cut or send. Spoken with several reps 6+ times, none are competent to update correct mailing address and/or get refund processed. Correct address to mail check to given on 11/19, then on 12/9, told had to wait 15 days to get check reissued once address changed, then on 12/21 and then again on 12/30 told incorrect address in system. Now on 1/6 they claim to have correct address but need to wait 10 more days to have issued.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I signed up for this because of the discount with Progressive...not knowing I'd actually need to use my rental insurance for the first time in my life. From the first, the customer service was a joke. After receiving my policy documents -- and calling CS with a question -- I was told by one person that I didn't even have a policy with them. Here's the thing: the moving company I hired "lost" (stole) many of my belongings in the move, and they did nothing to help. In fact, they cancelled my claim within a week of placing it. This, after the heartbreak of losing things I can never replace. I have cancelled my policy in favor of a better one (which you can find with basically any other company) and am STILL waiting for my refund check to come through. I beg you not to waste a minute of your time with this company, as I did. It was like I had been robbed from the moving company, and again by this insurance company.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

Policy at renewal went up 325% after 10 years with company and zero claims. Was told it's because TransUnion had an incomplete file on me. Spent a month writing 3 separate letters to TransUnion to get correct address on file, each time they requested more information. After it was finally changed I had Homesite re-run the score and it came back worse tier from 20 to 21 (was tier 4 previously). Explained to homesite multiple times that we had paid off all our debt about 15 years ago so my credit report is empty (no negatives stuff on it either). They were completely rude and basically told me they were not going to investigate the problem with the "third party" they use for insurance scoring, that this was the offer so take it or leave it. We left it and got insurance through another company for less than my original policy with homesite.

Filed a complaint with the insurance commission about the bad faith policy they have of penalizing people that are debt free, it must be doing something because because I got a call from them the day after my policy expired asking what they can do to fix the problem. I ignored the call but kept the voicemail. If the state commission agrees that Homesite violated Maine insurance law Title 24 (as it clearly has) I will request the highest fine applicable and then consult an attorney about filing a bad faith tort lawsuit. I don't want to see my parents or your parents or other elderly treated like they are some sort of criminal or a risk because they responsibly paid off their debt.

Homesite Insurance Company Information