Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

Help me decide

3.1/5 (1063 ratings)
Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About Homesite Insurance

Homesite works with its own customers and those referred from other companies, including Progressive. Homesite’s base plan is a good choice for homeowners seeking affordable coverage. Optional add-ons round out coverage for those needing more. Homesite has a strong financial strength rating from AM Best.

Pros

• Financially secure
  • Helpful customer service
  • Affordable options

Cons

• Base coverage lacking

Bottom Line

Homesite’s low premiums are a definite highlight. The most basic coverage could be better, but it serves some customers well, and the company's add-ons boost coverage.

Top Homesite Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Claims - This was so efficiently handled by Amanda. ... I was amazed. This was the time when all the hurricanes hit. ... yet in her calm, intelligent and good humored way she was ...

Verified

I had a small electrical fire in my basement which created more damage than I would’ve expected. I called Homesite immediately after the firefighters had left, and the rep’s first...

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

What is Homesite Insurance?

Homesite Insurance sells home insurance policies to customers across the United States. Homeowners who purchase a home insurance plan through Homesite are covered in case of specific damages to possessions or a home’s physical structure. Homesite’s insurance tends to cost less than other companies’ policies, but the base plan doesn’t include as much coverage.

Homesite homeowners insurance cost

Most Homesite homeowners insurance plans range from $900 to $1,900 a year. Quotes differ based on the value of the policy, the location of the covered home and the amount of coverage.

Homesite's homeowners insurance is generally cheaper than its competitors’ policies. This makes it a good choice for those looking to protect their home without breaking the bank.

Homesite insurance premium examples

Policy valueAnnual premium
$75,000$900
$150,000$975
$200,000$1,150
$350,000$1,900

What does Homesite homeowners insurance cover?

One option with Homesite is to purchase the base package. This attracts customers who are obligated to have homeowners insurance and want an affordable option. The basic homeowners policy from Homesite covers:

• Dwelling coverage: This covers damage to the physical structure of a home from covered events, including windstorms or hail.
  • Personal property coverage: This covers your belongings inside and outside your home, including appliances, furniture, clothing and electronics. If they are damaged, destroyed or stolen, Homesite covers them.
  • Loss of use coverage: If your home must undergo repairs and it becomes uninhabitable, this coverage pays for hotel rooms, restaurant meals and alternative transportation.
  • Personal liability coverage: If someone injured on your property files a lawsuit against you, this covers legal fees.
  • Medical payments for guests: If a guest is injured on the property, this coverage pays for medical bills.

Homesite has optional add-ons, also known as policy riders or endorsements. Add-ons increase the price of premiums, but they also increase your coverage.

• Identity theft: If your identity is stolen, this coverage pays for relevant legal fees.
  • Valuables: Additional coverage exists for high-worth valuables, such as expensive jewelry and art.
  • Personal injury protection: This pays for legal fees associated with invasion of privacy, libel and slander.
  • Service line breakdown coverage: This coverage is often necessary for customers who own a service line.
  • Sump pump overflow coverage: Homesite covers repairs needed after a sump pump overflows.

Homesite homeowners insurance discounts

Homesite offers discounts that lower premiums, including:

• Home alarm discount: Homes with a smoke or fire detector or a home security system qualify for a reduction in premiums.
  • Age-related discount: Customers who are older than 55 and living on a fixed income pay less for policies.
  • Home age discount: Newer homes are eligible for a discount.
  • Bundled insurance: Bundle auto and home insurance with Homesite for reduced premiums.

Homesite homeowners insurance FAQ

Is Homesite Insurance part of Geico?
No, but GEICO and several companies offer homeowners insurance through Homesite.
Does Homesite offer other insurance options?
Yes, Homesite sells home, condo, renters, auto, life, commercial and flood insurance. Customers with more than one insurance plan from Homesite bundle them for a discount.
How do I file a claim with Homesite?
To file a claim, call Homesite directly or fill out its online claim form.
Does Homesite choose the contractor for repairs?
No, customers choose the contractor, although Homesite sometimes makes recommendations.

Is Homesite Insurance good?

Overall, Homesite is a good choice for homeowners insurance. Its base plan is affordable, though it lacks some basic coverage that most other home insurance companies include. Customers unhappy with this can enroll in the necessary add-ons. Although reviews vary, many note that customer service is friendly and helpful.

Homesite Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

The worst. The insurance is through Geico. I filed a claim of vandalism that flooded my house. They didn't pay a cent, and spent over a month dealing with an claims inspector. I had to repeatedly call to get updates (they never called me) while all our furniture was in our bedroom and our contractor waited. Avoid at all costs. Do not bundle with Geico (their car insurance is great).

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

I have a condo policy with Progressive Insurance by Homesite. We had a power surge in the building that knocked out our elevator. Each condo owner was assessed $4500 to repair the damages after the HOA policy had paid. I made a claim under our assessment coverage and within 7 days had a check in my hand. About three months later we were assessed an additional $450 for labor and material increases after the repair work had begun. I submitted a supplement to Homesite and within 24 hours my adjuster contacted me to let me know she had just approved the supplement and a check would go out that very day. I have NEVER had such good claims service from an insurance company, and I worked as a claim adjuster myself for 15 years! Thanks Homesite!!!

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

I just renewed and paid my policy a few months ago. I got a email 2 days ago stating that I requested my policy to be cancelled (which I didn't) and Homesite sent a email a few days earlier saying if I don't send in pictures of the inside/outside of my house, I'll get cancelled in 21 days from the email. Said it was at "random" and that it was beta testing. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY AND SAVE YOUR MONEY.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Updated on 12/15/2021: I am going to keep it short. Had hail damage in my subdivision in July. Filed a claimed with Homesite. Weeks later the majority of my neighbors are getting new roof replacements but my claim was denied after I had the worst damage. Had the claim reopened due to reaching out to the BBB but still denied weeks later out of spite that I reported their horrible service, workers and adjusters. DO NOT. I REPEAT. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! They are by far the worst company ever. Oh not to mention after 2 denials my policy went up 400 dollars to renew. I quickly canceled.

Original Review: As a first time home buyer I purchased a policy with Progressive Homesite due to the fact that I had auto insurance with them so it would be easier to go with the bundle deal. I purchased everything to cover my home in the event of a natural disaster. May 2021 my sub division was hit heavily by a hail and windstorm in which I was over covered. I submitted my claim and that's when I realized what type of company I was dealing with. They sent out an unexperienced adjuster who was on my 4000sq ft roof for under 3 mins, he did no damage test or anything then he left, days later my claim was denied even though there were lots of pictures of the damage and shingles all over the ground. My roof is only 8 yrs old but they ruled it as wear and tear, unbelievable. I had to fight to get someone to come back out to do a reinspection in the midst of all my neighbors receiving new roofs from the storm.

The reinspection was just as bad as the first. Homesite is a very unprofessional company, the staff are rude and all they want is your money. They will never approve any claims after further research I've done. If you value your home and want a company that will protect your investment and provide you with the service that you pay DO NOT USE HOMESITE BY PROGRESSIVE or any third party insurance company. Beware and stay far away even if the price sounds low you will end up in a bad way if ever you endure a disaster. Please do not use this company, it's for your own good. Moral of the story you WILL be DENIED..

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

I do not have flood insurance because my place is not in a flood zone. Then they decline my claim many times including the mold after a flood. It may take thousands to repair the wood floor and trim and they just decline me. I feel like getting fraud. I paid thousands a year to them and they don't even want to pay a single penny on house repair.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

You will see their cheaper prices and you'll think "Perfect! I will never need to file a claim anyway." Then you will unexpectedly need them and they will automatically deny your claim, set impossible standards to prove the damage happened after your policy, and ignore you when you try to contact them. You have been warned.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

In 23 years as contractors had never seen an insurance company that lies so much! The adjuster assigned to the claim (Allah **) never answers the phone, you have to leave a voice mail and rarely he will call back. Claim has been open for 5 weeks now and he told us an EFT was made one day before, when we've never even had given him a routing or account number! The very next day when my office manager confronted him he was super upset and rude, he threaten her on putting a stop payment to the supposed EFT. Anyhow no EFT, no check, no customer service, and no one can tell you no information on the claim. Incredible.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

You make all your insurance payments and they will raise your policy without any notice. So when you find better insurance and cancel they will take over 2 months to send you a refund. Next stop my lawyer.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

This is by far the worst insurance company. The reviews at the top of the page are completely fake!!! Definitely research more into this company before even considering a policy. They will cancel your policy without notice leaving you uninsured. They also demand that you make costly repairs and threaten to drop you. They also start out with good prices then raise their rates. If you try to speak to someone in customer service they won’t give you a straight answer on anything. They will tell you they will send you an email and then not get back to you.

Original review: July 14, 2021

Lead me to believe the damage to my restroom due to leak in wall would be covered. We got all the way to accepting EFT then it was rejected. All I get is it's just not covered and, "Sorry we misinterpreted your policy and coverage."

Homesite Insurance Company Information