Homesite Insurance

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We have been insured with Homesite for about four years and within that time three years ago we had a claim for a dog scaring someone off a bike and every year the amount of the policy payments went up but this year it went up almost three hundred dollars and we have not had any claims other than the one three years ago. So we found a better policy with a different company for less and called Homesite to cancel our existing policy. Now even though it was just raised they said they can find us discounts now. If there were discounts to be given why raise my policy payments? This makes no sense at all. Farmers gave us a better policy for less.

My wife and I bought a house at the end of June, and used Homesite Insurance for our home owners insurance. Everything went well through purchasing the insurance, and Homesite was aware that our roof was an older roof. I've just received a letter dated July 24, 2017 stating that our insurance was cancelled due to the roof having some missing shingles and wear. I am not disputing Homesite's right to refuse service. My issue is that I won't be receiving a refund for the rest of the year for 2-3 more weeks.

If I return an item that I bought, it's general practice that I would receive my money or some sort of credit immediately, so what I'm failing to understand is how an insurance company can cancel a policy without immediately returning the funds for a service that they are no longer providing. Further, if I am required to have insurance on my home, how could an insurance company hold onto money that was directed for that purpose, thus hindering my ability to comply with the necessity of having home insurance due to their decision to not serve us.

My apartment flooded and I lost clothes, my bed, bags, documents, family photos, and receipts of those items. It was a flood, for God's sake. I contacted them and it took two days for a call back. They asked for photos, two days later, which I provided. Bottom line, after two months of dealing with this, I finally got a call and they mentioned my claim was not approved because the lack of photos. Anyway, do not do business with this company. They are only interested in collecting your payments and when you need them, they will deny your claim. I lived in misery for a month with not even a bed to sleep on and all they said it was, "Well, next time, take better photos". Lesson learned. Never again Homesite Insurance.

Went with Homesite through Progressive renters insurance and to say that I am happy would be a understatement... Plumbing over flowed in the basement and it's a in-law suite and got bed set, rug, dressers, mattress and a couple other things... Called Homesite. They were very nice and professional. No hassles. Took about a week and a half and sent us the money no problems... They tried to say they was sorry when all I wanted to do was thank them... I've been through a car insurance claim that took months so needless to say I would absolutely recommend Homesite to other people. My adjuster's name was James **. Very nice person. Thank you so much and for making my experience hassle free.

Won't return deposit - I ordered a policy and then canceled it right away because of the answer to a question I forgot to ask. I asked for my money to be returned and here it is over a week later and they still want to hold my money for more than 10 days. I spoke with a supervisor named John and he told me he would tell billing to reverse the charges on the payment and I would have a refund in 2 days. Now I hear from a supervisor named Ryan that billing won't refund my money before the 10 days because it was not their "error." This is a very nasty policy. It doesn't make a difference whose "error" it is. They should just refund the money. I canceled and they just want to hold the money. I want my money back now not in another week or whenever they want.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

On 7.29.2016 our area and surrounding rural areas experienced a massive hailstorm which damaged our RV and our home. We filed a claim through Geico since we had bundled vehicles and home. Geico responded swiftly and courteously. They totaled our RV and payment was received within a couple of weeks. However, our problem came when we filed a homeowner claim through Homesite for the hail damage to our roof and siding. Initially, the woman in customer service informed us that our deductible was $5000 and then proceeded to ask if we wanted to continue with our claim? We responded by stating, absolutely! Within a few weeks, an adjuster inspected our home and gave an estimate of over $17,000. Homesite soon responded via letter, they would deduct $5000. They would send the first check of $10,000 for roof and other repairs. They also stated when repairs were complete, they would send the remaining $2000.

Since the damage to our home and extended areas in our town were so extensive, we were put on a waiting list to have our roof repaired once we accepted a bid we liked. We were trying to save money by going with the lowest bid as well as a reputable company who we have done business with in the past. Approximately 6 months later the roofing company was ready to repair our roof. In the meantime, my spouse and I repaired and painted the entire exterior of home ourselves in order to save money.

Once all repairs were complete, we contacted Homesite on 4.16.17 only for them to say they closed our claim in which we were NEVER notified. We explained we were on a waiting list (it was out of our control) through the roofing company and the woman replied she would have to speak with her supervisor. All correspondence was done via email. Several days had gone by without contact from Homesite. We contacted them again and was informed our case was given to a "specialist" Stephanie **. She told us her supervisor had refused to reopen our claim.

Several more days went by when she said, our first email didn't come until after she wrote us to inform us that our Claim was closed. She informed us our case had been reopened, she received original receipts and original documentation. Furthermore, in yet another email, she asked that she be called to discuss "recoverable depreciation." Through this conversation, she was explaining how recoverable depreciation worked and what she thought we should be paid for scraping, painting and caulking our home plus what we paid for the exterior paint and supplies.

Homesite originally withheld about $7200 for recoverable depreciation so we are confused as to why they are applying it again??? HOMESITE has terrible customer service and they are a fraudulent company. As of July 1, 2017, we are still fighting with Homesite, and have decided to contact the Wyoming Insurance Commission, the FTC, the BBB and the Wyoming Attorney Generals office. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH HOMESITE.

My home was burglarized and Homesite was nothing short of terrible. I have been through this experience before and they made it so much more painful than it needed to be and didn't give me the money I was owed. They are intentionally deceptive, completely lacking empathy during a difficult time, and clearly out to make a buck and nothing more. They record all conversations and then refuse to play the recordings back to their customers if they feel there is information that is damaging to them on the call and blame their legal department for not being able to play the recording. Their documentation is intentionally confusing and any ask for clarification is even more incomprehensible. They assume that we all know how to speak insurance jargon. They accused me of lying and then reminded me that I was being recorded. Just run away.

Homesite can only set up one policy per email address. Homesite requires an email for User ID when logging on. They emphasize paperless communication on their website. I have 3 homes with homeowners policies.. They asked me to set up 3 email addresses so that I may have access to my Homesite policies.. "Unfortunately our system only allows one policy per email address." Wow. What a pain in the neck to access my insurance info and receive renewal notices electronically. (I certify that I am a homesite customer and have been for 8 years.)

This is the worst insurance company that I have ever worked with. I have spent 3 months trying to get them to show that my escrow company paid my insurance in full. I have the confirmation of the check being cashed 2 months ago and they are trying to charge me a bounced check fee. I spoke with Eric #** who handled the situation horribly. He told me that I would not speak to anyone after him and that I could mail a complaint to their office if I wanted to make one. I will be changing my insurance company.

These folks are a lying sack of **. They are the worst in customer service hands down. I have had total loss of a home before moving to Texas with State Farm was smooth and easy. I have had several other insurance carriers Farmers and Allstate never a fiasco like Homesite. I wouldn't insure a dog house or a chicken coop with these people. 24 days to get the 1st check to start repairs. Thank God my house didn't burn down. I would have had to sleep in the car for 24 days! I have never in my life had such a hassle with a claim in 35 years of being a homeowner. During this claim after my new roof was installed I made the switch to Allstate. Go with a major insurance company. You won't go wrong.

Updated on 06/14/2017: They are holding my deprecation hostage more hassles than it is worth. DO NOT INSURE a dog house or chicken coop with them!

We experienced damage to our home due to siding coming loose and flooding; ceiling in basement and walls were compromised as well as basement flooring. When we initially called in, we were told that "groundwater" was not covered. Due to ceiling stains, I didn't think this was an issue so we were sent to the adjuster James **. He informed me on the phone, without looking at anything, that this would not be covered. After asking for at least an inspector, he finally consented after I requested to be transferred to someone else. An inspector came a week later during which mold and mildew were growing in my basement as we were afraid to disturb the area and compromise the inspection.

The inspector said it was NOT groundwater, but due to siding spitting away from the wall. No one contacted us, but a week later, we call in to find out they are sending a letter of denial because flooding is not necessarily a groundwater issue, but a lot of rain and since it was an ongoing problem, the claim was denied. They basically found any way out of covering costs that was possible. They have no regards for the families that pay them to take care of them. We signed up with them through GEICO and will be canceling all of our policies with BOTH companies. Wish we had read reviews sooner and had never paid them a cent!

After viewing all the people who had commented on how completely dissatisfied they are with Homesite, it is obvious they are nothing but scam artists who do not deserve a moment of time when considering your next insurance company. I have had the same nightmares and suffered the same frustration when dealing with this company, and all I can say about them is "good riddance". I have had my cars insured with Progressive for over 20 years, but after the experience I had recently with their homeowner insurance company they are affiliated with... I am kicking EVERYONE to the curb.

On my daughter's birthday we experience high winds and our neighbor's tree hit our house. Luckily no one was at home. Our adjuster David ** was on it very quick and within a couple weeks the entire roof was replaced. The interior was completed professionally as well. Lots of drama initially as expected but our adjuster was reassuring and very helpful during the entire process. Everyone that I interacted with at Homesite Homeowners Insurance was very professional. They did not try and cut corners on anything and actually exceeded my expectations with a completely new roof.

Last year a hail storm damaged my roof. After filing a claim I found that a $2500 deductible was in the fine print for storm damage. They also don't cover depreciation or recoverable loss. So my quote for $11,000 to replace the roof resulted in a $2400 payout. I decided to save the money and add to it until I could replace my roof. On the next renewal they QUADRUPLED my policy from $800 to $3200 a year, basically taking the money right back. Since my roof is damaged I have not found an insurance company that will take me. Homesite is basically extorting money at a faster rate than I can save to replace my roof. When I asked for justification they told me since I had made a claim and my credit rating was lower (I monitor my credit, it was not lower) that I was a high risk customer.

I had homeowners with Homesite Insurance and when my storage unit was burglarized they called me a fraud. She accused me of putting in a claim for over 300,000 when the claim for less than 15,000. After a year and a half of fighting them to insure the loss, they refused claiming the pictures I submitted were not valid. They gave me every excuse under the Sun for not paying for the loss. They are the biggest scam artists of the century. If anyone knows of a class action lawsuit against this company let me know... I want in!

There was strong rain in SoCal last Feb, and it damaged our ceiling. The rain came through a balcony (which has some issue. Claimed to HOA and they will do the External Repair, but not Interior.) and damaged our ceiling. But Homestead declined right away stating that RAIN perils are excluded. But my understanding is, the RAIN exclusion is when there is a neglect on my end such as leaving my windows open or door open, etc. But this was not that case. Homestead SHOULD cover this and either get reimbursed from HOA's Insurance or cover with my current limit of dwelling. I kept on sending email and leaving message to adjuster but no response whatsoever. Horrible. Do not go for this company. I trusted them since I went through GEICO but I think GEICO should give up the partnership with them.

Initial rates were low and customer service was decent for our first year with them. The second consecutive year with Homesite our rates doubled... I was beyond frustrated. We had never filed any claims, my credit score had not changed and when we made contact with them after finding out from our mortgage company they made the excuse that because our insurance scores had went down 7 points and that was their basis to double our rates. DO NOT FALL FOR THESE WORTHLESS INSURANCE PEOPLE.

Overpriced, do not provide discounts for usual fire prevention items, keeping them on only until I transfer my whole package of two homes and autos.

They don't cover **. They will find excuses like your deductible to not pay for anything. I had a fence collapse due to the storms and they use a bogus "fence depreciation" calculations where my claim doesn't pass my deductible. Therefore, they won't cover **. ** Homesite Insurance. They are scumbags.

Due to an improperly installed roof that we needed to replace entirely, we suffered mold and water damage on the interior of our home. We absorbed $45,000 of the cost for the roof replacement and mold removal and remediation. Homesite said our policy did not cover the roof replacement or mold removal but would cover the cost of restoration of the drywall, etc. We did not challenge them on this but found that they only allowed $5,000 for the restoration which actually cost us over $10,000. Also, shortly after the aforementioned work was completed, we received notice that the cost of our annual insurance policy had almost doubled from $1,300 to over $2,500. When I inquired as to the reason, I was told that it was because of the claim. This has to be one of the worst scams that I have ever encountered. Disgusting!! I would definitely not recommend this company.

I filed a claim the beginning of March 2017 when we had a bad wind storm. An adjuster came out and estimated the roof. The estimate was around $7500.00, the depreciation was around $4500.00 and $2500.00 deductible. They send me a check for $416.83. I told them to close the claim and I sent the check back. This was an insult. So beware of HOMESITE HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE COMPANY who I got through Progressive auto insurance because they also judge your claim by the area you live in. So beware. By the way I switched my insurances. Hope this helps people before they decide to get this insurance company. Look up what they cover first before you decide to go with them.

Been a homeowner for 8+ years. Had to file my first claim ever after the crazy storms came through California. We had pasture fencing wiped out. I was hesitant to file a claim as I had never before but when we realized the cost to replace our fence we needed help. I filed my claim with pictures to them on a Thursday, money was in our account by the next Tuesday! I worked with a Robin. She was very nice and professional AND helpful. Made it very easy. Hopefully I will never have to file another claim, but if I do I know I'm taken care of with Homesite.

I recently switched my auto & homeowner's insurance to Progressive. I had Allstate but wanted to lower my auto insurance as it is a lease. Well, I had no problem with Progressive's auto. The homeowners however is a big racket. A month in, I get a letter from Homesite Insurance saying they are canceling my insurance because their inspector said there were some shingles lifting/buckling and the roof needed replaced. Now, my roof is over 20 years old but it is still in decent condition. Allstate had no problem with it. My brother in law has his own framing and construction company and he also said it was fine. I had a total home inspection not too long ago and they also said it was fine. So, what I found after some research is that this company is notorious for denying coverage for roofs over 15 years old - regardless. Why? So they will not gave to pay out in an older roof. I'm going back to Allstate for both coverages now.

We've had Geico and Homesite Insurance for about a year now. My concern is that the Homesite website NEVER works. This month we received a letter to renew our policy by making an online payment -- and once again, the site is DOWN. Our policy expires in 1 day (we got the letter only 2 days ago). This has shaken our confidence in Homesite. What if we had an actual claim and could not reach the company? If they're that difficult to reach to make a payment, imagine how difficult it would be if we actually had a claim.

Recently, I decided to bundle my auto/home/UMB policies with Geico; their agents were all to glad to hurry me along on the phone so I booked. Today I received a cancellation notice letter because their inspection because they sent an inspector to check the house without telling or notifying me (typical sneaky Geico insurance people). Despite requesting only paperless comm I received a form letter stating the canceling was to the condition of the roof. The inspector never came to our door to inform us that we was here and took pictures on front/side/back of house without permission to step foot on my private property! Geico send me pictures that prove the agent was in my back and side yards. Very creepy. Now Geico says the decision is final unless I replace the roof in 30 days. Ever try to get a roof replace in the winter, in Buffalo! **! inspection company is CIS group powered by Naviator. Whoever they are. These people are sinister! Avoid.

I decided to bundle through Elephant Auto (Homesite homeowners insurance). The auto department is excellent. When the inspector came he decided that my 14 year old house was in need of a roof for bent or raised shingles that I could not see, and the roof had to be replaced. Mind you this house has a premium roof with a 30 year rated shingle also that I had too much debris in my yard speaking about my thing. I live on 5 acres in the country. He then told me that these were hazards and that they would not insure my property. After a brief try at a negotiation he said his word was final. Ok I could understand if this was a brand new house, but be for real it has a lived in look and the house is in excellent shape. I just had a home appraisal done and was told the house perfect for the age. I would not recommend Homesite because they have no clue about real life and are rude and unwilling to work with their customers.

Filed insurance claim once and raised my price from $800 to almost $2000. I opened a second case but immediately withdrew it because I realized it was my mistake that the problem occurred and are still reporting as second claim even though I cancelled it and had a zero paid out. It seems like this is not an insurance co and more like a bank taking a loan out and you have to pay it back, how else would you explain 800 going up to 2000 dollars.

I had water damage in 3 rooms from a leak. Water litigation dried the house and demoed both bathrooms. Adjuster came, wrote estimate and sent a check less deductible and depreciation. What the hell is depreciation. Just their way of cheating me out of money. Said I could recover after the job was complete. Sent them itemized statement from contractor paid in full. Nope they want receipts or bank statement proving I paid deductible. Wth. They had already sent me a check minus $1000 for deductible. Just plain crazy. I even used the contractor that saved them money. Bought supplies on sale and didn't even turn in our meal expenses. I felt sorry for them. I guess they need the money more than I do. I will drop them. Beware of this company.

We recently had 70 mile an hour winds and part of our roof blew off. We made a claim and an assessor can and said the damage was below our 2700 dollars deductible. However, a roofer gave us an estimate with photos of 8000 dollars damage. Progressive Homeowners said since we had one of their assessors out here the year before and didn't have the damage fixed they wouldn't pay for the current damage or consider the prior damage in this recent claim. The first assessor told us he wasn't going to make a claim because there wasn't enough damage.

One year later, when our roof blows apart Homesite tells us there was a prior claim made. We were unaware as we never received a claim number or letter of denial like you typically would. Their story, employees, and organization seem dishonest, trained in scamming 101, and should never be trusted to insure your property so beware. Out of all the homes we have owned and the different insurers we have had I have never felt so worked over as I have with Homesite. Disgusting.

Purchased a new home last year and needed insurance. So I thought that I would bundle with Geico since I have done well with their auto insurance. When I purchased the house I had it inspected with the inspector noted the roof was in good shape and should last another 10 years. I just need the plastic vents replaced due to cracking and leaking and then the moss cleaned off that was getting rather thick. Being that I live in Western Washington, moss will accumulate one even a new roof in a few years if regular cleaning is not done. So a week or two after the house is mine, Homesite send one of their inspectors around and takes pictures of the moss. I then get a notice with couple of distance photo of mossy roof saying do the moss and condition of the roof that it must be replaced by a licensed contractor.

So a few month later, I get a licensed contractor out there to look at the roof and he said that I just need to replace the vents and clean the roof and it will be good for another 7 to 10 years depending on how clean I keep it. The contractor did the work a couple a week later and I sent in pictures and the paid bill show the work done. The also a note say the roof was in good shape should last another 7 years and at least 10 if I kept it clean. Now it is 6 month later and I receive a notice that they are not going to renew my insurance for failure to replace roof.

After calling Geico and talking I find out that it is Homesite's decision because I did not replace roof and their pictures show how bad my roof is. I did get Geico to have Homesite resend me the notice they first sent me with the pictures. When I received the notice for the second time I noticed that there were quite a few pictures that were not included the first time. The new pictures were close ups of the house showing the moss, but not one photo had a bent warped or damaged asphalt shingle. All the shingles look to be in good shape, just lots of moss on the roof.

While I not out any money other than paying for a licensed contractor to do work that I could have done myself. I do not like someone sitting behind a desk making large financial decisions about my house while not accepting what a home inspections and a licensed contractor who both got up and physical looked at the roof had to say about its condition. The only reason I'm giving 2 stars and not 1 is that are just not renewing my insurance policy rather than just dropping me.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Homesite is a company that is solely focused on providing people insurance for their residences. Homesite is one of the newer homeowners insurance companies around, founded in 1997, and the company operates out of its headquarters in Boston, MA.

• Variety of discounts: Homesite offers a bounty of discounts for their products, making them an affordable choice. These discounts include a moving-in discount, a bundle discount for auto and home insurance, a safety precautions discount and a new home discount.
  • Highly specialized: Homesite only sells insurance for residences. Thus, they are experts on renter’s insurance, condo insurance, traditional homeowners insurance, and more.
  • Excellent customer service: Customer service representatives at Homesite are available to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • History: Homesite Insurance is a younger than many of the bigger insurance companies and has yet to prove its reputation or legacy.
  • Options: While Homesite offers homeowners insurance for typical dwellings, it does not offer policies for more unique homes such as farms or mobile homes.
  • Best for Traditional homeowners, condo owners