Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.97/5

Homesite works with its own customers and those referred from other companies, including Progressive. Homesite’s base plan is a good choice for homeowners seeking affordable coverage. Optional add-ons round out coverage for those needing more. Homesite has a strong financial strength rating from AM Best.

BOTTOM LINE

Homesite’s low premiums are a definite highlight. The most basic coverage could be better, but it serves some customers well, and the company's add-ons boost coverage.

PROS

• Financially secure
  • Helpful customer service
  • Affordable options

CONS

• Base coverage lacking

Top Homesite Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Claims - This was so efficiently handled by Amanda. ... I was amazed. This was the time when all the hurricanes hit. ... yet in her calm, intelligent and good humored way she was terrific. If I could give six stars I would. ... thanks.

I had a small electrical fire in my basement which created more damage than I would’ve expected. I called Homesite immediately after the firefighters had left, and the rep’s first question was if my family and I were all ok. Very nice touch during a stressful time. ... I’m very happy with Homesite.

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

What is Homesite Insurance?

Homesite Insurance sells home insurance policies to customers across the United States. Homeowners who purchase a home insurance plan through Homesite are covered in case of specific damages to possessions or a home’s physical structure. Homesite’s insurance tends to cost less than other companies’ policies, but the base plan doesn’t include as much coverage.

Homesite homeowners insurance cost

Most Homesite homeowners insurance plans range from $900 to $1,900 a year. Quotes differ based on the value of the policy, the location of the covered home and the amount of coverage.

Homesite's homeowners insurance is generally cheaper than its competitors’ policies. This makes it a good choice for those looking to protect their home without breaking the bank.

Homesite insurance premium examples

Policy valueAnnual premium
$75,000$900
$150,000$975
$200,000$1,150
$350,000$1,900

What does Homesite homeowners insurance cover?

One option with Homesite is to purchase the base package. This attracts customers who are obligated to have homeowners insurance and want an affordable option. The basic homeowners policy from Homesite covers:

• Dwelling coverage: This covers damage to the physical structure of a home from covered events, including windstorms or hail.
  • Personal property coverage: This covers your belongings inside and outside your home, including appliances, furniture, clothing and electronics. If they are damaged, destroyed or stolen, Homesite covers them.
  • Loss of use coverage: If your home must undergo repairs and it becomes uninhabitable, this coverage pays for hotel rooms, restaurant meals and alternative transportation.
  • Personal liability coverage: If someone injured on your property files a lawsuit against you, this covers legal fees.
  • Medical payments for guests: If a guest is injured on the property, this coverage pays for medical bills.

Homesite has optional add-ons, also known as policy riders or endorsements. Add-ons increase the price of premiums, but they also increase your coverage.

• Identity theft: If your identity is stolen, this coverage pays for relevant legal fees.
  • Valuables: Additional coverage exists for high-worth valuables, such as expensive jewelry and art.
  • Personal injury protection: This pays for legal fees associated with invasion of privacy, libel and slander.
  • Service line breakdown coverage: This coverage is often necessary for customers who own a service line.
  • Sump pump overflow coverage: Homesite covers repairs needed after a sump pump overflows.

Homesite homeowners insurance discounts

Homesite offers discounts that lower premiums, including:

• Home alarm discount: Homes with a smoke or fire detector or a home security system qualify for a reduction in premiums.
  • Age-related discount: Customers who are older than 55 and living on a fixed income pay less for policies.
  • Home age discount: Newer homes are eligible for a discount.
  • Bundled insurance: Bundle auto and home insurance with Homesite for reduced premiums.

Homesite homeowners insurance FAQ

Is Homesite Insurance part of Geico?
No, but GEICO and several companies offer homeowners insurance through Homesite.
Does Homesite offer other insurance options?
Yes, Homesite sells home, condo, renters, auto, life, commercial and flood insurance. Customers with more than one insurance plan from Homesite bundle them for a discount.
How do I file a claim with Homesite?
To file a claim, call Homesite directly or fill out its online claim form.
Does Homesite choose the contractor for repairs?
No, customers choose the contractor, although Homesite sometimes makes recommendations.

Is Homesite Insurance good?

Overall, Homesite is a good choice for homeowners insurance. Its base plan is affordable, though it lacks some basic coverage that most other home insurance companies include. Customers unhappy with this can enroll in the necessary add-ons. Although reviews vary, many note that customer service is friendly and helpful.

Homesite Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

To already be going through a pandemic and money tight. Texas suffered a horrible disaster. I went without power and water for a week. Including my infant child and 9 year old. We slept in 5 degrees weather for days. To be informed by manager that the money I lost in food, hotel stay is not covered is unacceptable. Geico should be ashamed to be associated with this company and referring their customers to them. We should not be pushed behind things we have no control over.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I write this Homesite Insurance review with complete satisfaction! In the fall of 2020, I faced a devastating occurrence in my home. I woke up to water standing about three feet! I was greatly overcome with the thought of, “Oh my God what am I going to do now?” After getting in contact with my adjuster. Ms. Angela **, I have had absolutely “no worries!” Every step of the way she immediately responded to all of my concerns and made sure Homesite honored every contractual agreement! I would definitely recommend this company to family and friends.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I ended up with a policy through Homesite when I "bundled" my insurance through Progressive. I fully disclosed the age of my roof when I got the quote and paid for the property insurance. My roof was aged but did not leak, all shingles were intact. A month after paying for the policy, I receive an email that "a new document has been posted to your policy". I log in and find out the "new document" is a cancellation notice - unless I provide evidence that my roof is replaced within 40 days my policy will be cancelled.

I received this notice in the middle of winter in Ohio, not exactly the best time to replace a roof. I get some roofers out for quotes and they all said there was no urgency in replacing the roof, but nonetheless I had it replaced. Homesite told me to submit documents to a generic CustomerService@homesite.com email. I submitted the documents and only received an automated response that someone will review the data and get back to me. Over a week later I still have no response and my policy is still shown as "cancelled." If this is how they handle communications I can't imagine they pay claims in a timely manner. I would advise anyone purchasing a "bundled" policy to check closely who actually is providing the insurance. I have found out that in some locales Homesite provides homeowner's insurance for GEICO as well as Progressive.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I had a house fire in October, Homesite was nice at first and then became unwilling to answer phone calls or return my calls. After Fire inspector gave his report they are trying to find a reason to deny my claim, I will have to sue for repairs of my home. I am disabled and have lung disease and can barley walk, they are trying to put me out in street during the coldest times of the year. Both me and my Grandson were downstairs when Fire started and they are treating us as criminals.

I have no relatives in this state and there for have no place to go for shelter and I suggest to any and everyone do not buy Insurance from Homesite Insurance because they act in bad faith. I have had to put out of pocket expenses for Personal Property storage, Textile cleaning, living expenses and take a loss on all my Personal Property that was damaged. Is still under investigation and will let all know if I need to sue or they come clean and honor their commitment. This is only what I am going through with this company as of 12-2020.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

We recently switched Insurance companies to Homesite by Progressive. We were in the process of remodeling our front deck and rear deck. But due to COVID and the national shortages we were not able to get material in and there was a couple of week hold. We were told that our homeowner's policy that we would be cancelled on 12/08/2020 if we had not made the repairs by then. We were able to finish both decks and send the documentation on the week 11/09/2020. They said that the underwriters had 10 days to review the photographs. We have called every day the past week and they just keep telling us that they have not reviewed the photos yet. We are now up for cancellation tomorrow and it is still under review and all they say is that we will send them an e-mail. So apparently this insurance company will cancel you if you are doing renovations to your house,

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

Our basement flooded 3 weeks ago yesterday. I have called our adjuster no less than 1 time every day since that time and he has NEVER called me back. I spoke with him once when I called the general number and they put me through. I asked yesterday for a manager to call me yesterday. I was assured a call. No call. I have had the water removed but the restoration group was waiting to hear from our adjuster before removing the wet drywall. They haven’t heard from him, despite many calls. My office is in our basement and I work from home so this is affecting a large part of my life and I’m so frustrated. I would never recommend this insurance company.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

We have had Homesite by Progressive for 1.5 years now for our renters insurance. Everything was fine until we got engaged and wanted to add my engagement ring onto the policy. It took from September 19th-November 5th for the ring to be added. Once it was added, our policy went from $285 to $675 (which is steep, but not my main complaint). I had to continuously follow-up for an update each week. Every time I called I was given a different answer and told the classic "5-7 business days" and "I will personally call you back by the end of the day with an update" (which neither statements were ever true).

My rate initially increased $65, which I was like, Okay sweet no biggie. But then I called to get documentation that the ring had been added...no one could see where it had been added and would tell me "Oh, let me send it through right now and we will have it done quickly." To make this endless story short, this continued to happen up until November, but it was finally added on and I was so uncomfortable with them, I did not trust them or their process. If I hadn't diligently called every week multiple times a week, I would have paid the $65 dollars and thought I had insurance on my very special ring.

After all of this, I had the ring removed while I continued to search elsewhere for other insurers. (Not to mention I only had one day to pay the rate increase because of how long they took adding the piece). When I called to cancel, I was told I had to pay $11 for the temporary change in my policy (which was NOT insuring the ring at all, just an increase in the personal property value). They had told me that this was required and could not be waived. This was all their fault, but they refused to own their mistake and would not even attempt to make things right.

Their customer service stinks. While all of the people were kind, I would not recommend them to anyone: the process was scary, untrustworthy, expensive and sketchy. I could only imagine the nightmare it would have been to make a claim with them. Instead, I did lots of digging and ended up going with Zillion online (who was very quick, responsive and accurate) and had my ring insured within hours. I also switched my renters for a third of the price to my local Allstate. I hope this review helps someone out there.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I reached out because I received a notice about my payment coming out on 9/30/2020, I wanted to move my payment to 10/2/2020 (2 days) so my account did not overdraw and my bank did not charge me $35, I spoke to the only available supervisor after a 30 minute wait with a customer service rep, he informed me that there were no options, all I could do is let the payment go through and get charged on my bank's side or cancel my policy and reinstate it in 2 days and pay another 16% down. I live in NC where they required to have renter's insurance or risk getting evicted, I advised Brian number ** that those are not options because they both take away from my rent due on the 1st and he had nothing to offer me, they don't have customer service, they don't care about the clients. All they care about is money. Do not get insurance through them!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

We have been paying into this home insurance for 2 and a half years, then when we finally needed to open a claim after a bad wind storm blew down our fence,90 mile an hour winds!!! THEY WOULDN'T REPAIR OR REPLACE IT. The rude agent Charles, who literally said “I don’t know what to tell you” stated that our fence was old and was worth nothing. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!! It’s part of our house!! So are you telling me that our house is worth nothing too, because it’s “old”. This is ridiculous!!! We have put money into this company every single month!! So they will take your money and not help you when you need it!! So we have NO fence, no security in our yard, and horrible home insurance! We will re rendering that ASAP. We have been Geico customers for over 20 years, and this insurance was through them.. Think they need to reconsider who they do business with. Absolutely disgusted!!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Homesite Insurance's claims team aggressively denies claims. I have to be sued for the damages first, in order to consequently sue Homesite, to receive my claim amount. Do Not Buy Homesite Insurance coverage.

Homesite Insurance Company Information