Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.13/5

Homesite works with its own customers and those referred from other companies, including Progressive. Homesite’s base plan is a good choice for homeowners seeking affordable coverage. Optional add-ons round out coverage for those needing more. Homesite has a strong financial strength rating from AM Best.

BOTTOM LINE

Homesite’s low premiums are a definite highlight. The most basic coverage could be better, but it serves some customers well, and the company's add-ons boost coverage.

PROS

• Financially secure
  • Helpful customer service
  • Affordable options

CONS

• Base coverage lacking

Top Homesite Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Claims - This was so efficiently handled by Amanda. ... I was amazed. This was the time when all the hurricanes hit. ... yet in her calm, intelligent and good humored way she was terrific. If I could give six stars I would. ... thanks.

I had a small electrical fire in my basement which created more damage than I would’ve expected. I called Homesite immediately after the firefighters had left, and the rep’s first question was if my family and I were all ok. Very nice touch during a stressful time. ... I’m very happy with Homesite.

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

What is Homesite Insurance?

Homesite Insurance sells home insurance policies to customers across the United States. Homeowners who purchase a home insurance plan through Homesite are covered in case of specific damages to possessions or a home’s physical structure. Homesite’s insurance tends to cost less than other companies’ policies, but the base plan doesn’t include as much coverage.

Homesite homeowners insurance cost

Most Homesite homeowners insurance plans range from $900 to $1,900 a year. Quotes differ based on the value of the policy, the location of the covered home and the amount of coverage.

Homesite's homeowners insurance is generally cheaper than its competitors’ policies. This makes it a good choice for those looking to protect their home without breaking the bank.

Homesite insurance premium examples

Policy valueAnnual premium
$75,000$900
$150,000$975
$200,000$1,150
$350,000$1,900

What does Homesite homeowners insurance cover?

One option with Homesite is to purchase the base package. This attracts customers who are obligated to have homeowners insurance and want an affordable option. The basic homeowners policy from Homesite covers:

• Dwelling coverage: This covers damage to the physical structure of a home from covered events, including windstorms or hail.
  • Personal property coverage: This covers your belongings inside and outside your home, including appliances, furniture, clothing and electronics. If they are damaged, destroyed or stolen, Homesite covers them.
  • Loss of use coverage: If your home must undergo repairs and it becomes uninhabitable, this coverage pays for hotel rooms, restaurant meals and alternative transportation.
  • Personal liability coverage: If someone injured on your property files a lawsuit against you, this covers legal fees.
  • Medical payments for guests: If a guest is injured on the property, this coverage pays for medical bills.

Homesite has optional add-ons, also known as policy riders or endorsements. Add-ons increase the price of premiums, but they also increase your coverage.

• Identity theft: If your identity is stolen, this coverage pays for relevant legal fees.
  • Valuables: Additional coverage exists for high-worth valuables, such as expensive jewelry and art.
  • Personal injury protection: This pays for legal fees associated with invasion of privacy, libel and slander.
  • Service line breakdown coverage: This coverage is often necessary for customers who own a service line.
  • Sump pump overflow coverage: Homesite covers repairs needed after a sump pump overflows.

Homesite homeowners insurance discounts

Homesite offers discounts that lower premiums, including:

• Home alarm discount: Homes with a smoke or fire detector or a home security system qualify for a reduction in premiums.
  • Age-related discount: Customers who are older than 55 and living on a fixed income pay less for policies.
  • Home age discount: Newer homes are eligible for a discount.
  • Bundled insurance: Bundle auto and home insurance with Homesite for reduced premiums.

Homesite homeowners insurance FAQ

Is Homesite Insurance part of Geico?
No, but GEICO and several companies offer homeowners insurance through Homesite.
Does Homesite offer other insurance options?
Yes, Homesite sells home, condo, renters, auto, life, commercial and flood insurance. Customers with more than one insurance plan from Homesite bundle them for a discount.
How do I file a claim with Homesite?
To file a claim, call Homesite directly or fill out its online claim form.
Does Homesite choose the contractor for repairs?
No, customers choose the contractor, although Homesite sometimes makes recommendations.

Is Homesite Insurance good?

Overall, Homesite is a good choice for homeowners insurance. Its base plan is affordable, though it lacks some basic coverage that most other home insurance companies include. Customers unhappy with this can enroll in the necessary add-ons. Although reviews vary, many note that customer service is friendly and helpful.

Homesite Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Original review: July 10, 2020

I submitted a claim after a pipe under my garage separated. The first time I spoke with my assigned adjuster (and in the first 5 minutes of conversation) she was pushing to obtain the name and number of the plumber who did the work in my house. When I couldn't provide it she wanted the name and number of the builder. It was frustrating to see how little they cared about me and my family and were only concerned with how they could recover their expenses. The adjuster was constantly unavailable, didn't return calls or reply to emails, and didn't follow up with me when something was needed. Homesite denied the garage portion of my claim based on "earth movement".

I submitted a request to re-open the claim which explained that there were no signs of "earth movement" anywhere in the house and a letter from a licensed plumber, who has been in the business for over 25 years, stating that he was 100% positive earth movement was not the cause. He was fairly certain the pipe had been hit by/with something heavy, as was a licensed contractor I spoke with. Homesite refused to re-open and review the claim. The second portion of the claim was for damage in the unfinished basement. The overflow valve in the basement sprayed urine/fecal matter on the walls, floor, and water tanks and seeped into the sump pump hole (and through the pump). I was astounded when Homesite denied that portion of the claim stating that there was no "damage". I couldn't believe that anyone in their right mind would think it's acceptable to live with fecal matter on the walls and floor!

At this point I called a lawyer and had to pay a $2,000 retainer. The lawyer submitted another request to re-open the claim stating the EXACT same things I had in my request. He added information regarding the denial for the basement, which hadn't yet been denied when I submitted mine. Within 24 hours of receiving the lawyers request the claim had been re-opened, approved, and paid. It is truly appalling when an organization does not act in good faith. Had they honestly believed the claim should not have been covered we would have entered into a legal battle. Further, if I had not had enough for the lawyer's retainer the claim would have remained closed. It should have NEVER required legal intervention to force Homesite to comply with the terms of their own insurance policy!

Original review: June 30, 2020

Got water in my house from a dam failure, and Homesite refused to pay one dime on my policy, including the sewer backup, which I had specific coverage for. Policy is full of loosely worded exclusions, and they pulled every exclusion that they could find to deny payment. Every neighbor in the area got paid out on their sewer backup coverage except us. On top of that, the adjustors were completely uncaring about the disaster that we were facing, and once we argued the denial, got downright MEAN. Stay far away - the discount you may be getting on rates is NOT worth it. I wish I could give them 0 stars!

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Had a massive hail storm in our area (classified as a catastrophic hail damage area). Also found our hail damage to be all "cosmetic" (very vague term) and is not covered under my policy. The "adjuster" they sent out was just contracted to take photos and he couldn't tell me who he worked for or tell me anything about the photos or damages he was seeing. Should have been a "red flag" right away. Had my own contractor trying to fight it and still wouldn't cover the hail damage, even though my neighbors with the same hail damage, they were all getting it covered by their insurances. Didn't want to send out someone to look over damages with my contractor. Then started saying it's new damages from the photos he has (so did that adjuster that they sent out even take photos of the damage?)

Said I need to file a new claim even though it's the same damages as before. Raised my rate by almost $200 without a good explanation on why it was raised that much and said they could get my back to my old rate still. Claim adjuster didn't even care he was about to lose a customer and wouldn't let me contact his manager. Awful customer service. Also I never got a denial letter for my claim. Definitely going elsewhere.

Original review: May 16, 2020

I have been a Homesite customer for ~5 yrs and experienced the usual rate increases, year to year. This year my rate on the dwelling increased 72%, with my end total premium increasing 54%. There were no changes, claims to the policy. No changes in credit score (high). I called them and after debunking the usual excuses of claims, dwelling changes, credit etc, they gave me the ubiquitous, "rates in your area increased this year". Take that for what it's worth, but I guess I need to do an overall insurance policy shopping trip that seems to be needed about every 5 years of so.

Original review: April 30, 2020

HomeOwners Ins went from $2,200 annual to $7,200 annual. Simple rate increase more than tripled and with no claims and good credit. Homesite danced around this price gouging. Please beware the practices Homesite uses are only for profiting and taking advantage of consumers. I have moved on from them and am saving over $4,200 a year moving forward, a crime was committed even though they will not do time I will never cross paths with this business again.

Original review: April 21, 2020

This company gave me a quote that was fair and I chose to go with them. They came out, checked my building and then doubled their price saying, "It's a block building. That makes it higher." I myself think this sounds crazy but the worst part is I told them in the beginning that it was a block building. I also paid 2 months in advance when starting the policy so now one month into this they are telling me they are going to cancel the policy due to nonpayment and that the advance was for the first and last payment. I could see that if thats what was said to me from the beginning but once again it wasnt. I have been hung up on, told to go with a different company, told they wont do anything about this situation but they will make sure they dont do this to anyone else. What good does it do me if they dont do this to anyone else. I have only been with them for one month and have dealt with nothing but issues out of them.

Original review: March 30, 2020

After getting a quote that was very reasonable I signed up for a homeowners policy. After the inspection I received a list for roof repair, painting wood portion of house (brick home so not entire house), and to replace a side porch that had already been removed and had a contractor agreement in process. I was given 30 days to complete repairs. I decided to replace the entire roof rather than repair it and this was finished in 2 weeks. The paint was in process and porch not yet finished when COVID-19 emergency occurred and I was told there would be delays in getting work finished in 30 days. Progressive gave me a specific phone number to contact Homesite and Progressive told me Homesite is giving extensions due to delays or issues related to COVID-19 emergency.

I called and asked for a 30 day extension from the cancellation date due to COVID-19 emergency. I provided proof that the roof replacement is finished, and can provide contracts for the other work. The Homesite representative answering this number lectured me that everyone is being affected right now and they have a business to run. After a lengthy conversation trying to get me to give up on the request, she finally told me underwriting would make a decision.

A week later and there is no response and I am 1 day from cancellation. I contacted Progressive and they were able to confirm that Homesite is going to let it cancel with no follow up to my phone conversation with Homesite's customer service line. The Progressive representative was trying to be helpful, but they cannot control what their partner Homesite does. But apparently Homesite is giving some but not all customers extensions due to the COVID-19 emergency. I feel that as this puts me in a stressful situation right now, I might actually be lucky that I have discovered what this company is like up front. If they cannot grant a reasonable request for an extension during a public health emergency, I can't imagine what it must be like to file a claim with them.

Original review: March 12, 2020

Insured our new home through Homesite Insurance. We were burglarized within a few days of us moving in, and I could not be more disappointed in how Homesite handled the situation. After deprecation and a large deductible, they only covered ~60% of our losses. After using the service for its intended purpose (replacing stolen and damaged goods), they have decided to kick us off the insurance for making a claim within 60 days of our policy starting. Homesite's parent company had over 10 billion in revenue in 2018. Hundreds of millions of dollars in profit. And they kicked us off the insurance we had already paid for because we used the service we bought. They have made a very stressful situation worse. I have switched providers and am paying hundreds of dollars more per year for the same coverage. Well worth it to get away from this predatory company. I'd give them zero stars if I could.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I have been a loyal customer of Progressive for years and have now learned that there's no value for that. We recently bought a second home, a condo, and chose progressive Homesite believing it would consolidate our insurances and make it hassle-free. They gave us a quote, which was good, and we bought it. A month later I review the policy and turns out we weren't given a welcome home discount, which we are entitled to, since we bought a new home. The person who handled our insurance the first time never asked if we purchased the house.

Called them and turns out they "can't" change the policy for some reason to give us that discount. More like they "won't." There was no attempt to help us out whatsoever, either from the person I spoke to or her supervisor. And this is simply a one-time discount--as the home cannot be considered a new purchase next year.

Truly upset with this lack of respect for long term customers and the nickel and diming. DO NOT advertise a discount if you're not actually willing to provide it to your customers, especially those with a long history with the company. Will be seeking insurance quotes elsewhere and transitioning shortly for all of our cars and both homes. It's not just about the money, it's about the attitude I received. I expect to be treated more respectfully as a customer.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

They insure you then pop up around Christmas saying you have to remove any debris from roof claiming an adjuster came by. So you waste your time paying for roof to be cleared and you send pics. They say pics are too dark. You send more pics. They say it’s not right view. You send more pics all while wasting your time and raising your bp. No one's on same page. Everyone tells you different info. Bottom line is I saw all the reviews were thousands have had same issue telling you that they will review it knowing you will be without coverage if you play into their crap. Nothing is good enough. They waste your time and stress you out. Save yourself the stress.

Homesite Insurance Company Information