Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

2. Homeowners
  3. Homeowners Insurance

3.6/5 (298 ratings)
Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About Homesite Insurance

Homesite works with its own customers and those referred from other companies, including Progressive. Homesite’s base plan is a good choice for homeowners seeking affordable coverage. Optional add-ons round out coverage for those needing more. Homesite has a strong financial strength rating from AM Best.

Pros

• Financially secure
  • Helpful customer service
  • Affordable options

Cons

• Base coverage lacking

Bottom Line

Homesite’s low premiums are a definite highlight. The most basic coverage could be better, but it serves some customers well, and the company's add-ons boost coverage.

Top Homesite Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Claims - This was so efficiently handled by Amanda. ... I was amazed. This was the time when all the hurricanes hit. ... yet in her calm, intelligent and good humored way she was ...

Verified

I had a small electrical fire in my basement which created more damage than I would’ve expected. I called Homesite immediately after the firefighters had left, and the rep’s first...

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

What is Homesite Insurance?

Homesite Insurance sells home insurance policies to customers across the United States. Homeowners who purchase a home insurance plan through Homesite are covered in case of specific damages to possessions or a home’s physical structure. Homesite’s insurance tends to cost less than other companies’ policies, but the base plan doesn’t include as much coverage.

Homesite homeowners insurance cost

Most Homesite homeowners insurance plans range from $900 to $1,900 a year. Quotes differ based on the value of the policy, the location of the covered home and the amount of coverage.

Homesite's homeowners insurance is generally cheaper than its competitors’ policies. This makes it a good choice for those looking to protect their home without breaking the bank.

Homesite insurance premium examples

Policy valueAnnual premium
$75,000$900
$150,000$975
$200,000$1,150
$350,000$1,900

What does Homesite homeowners insurance cover?

One option with Homesite is to purchase the base package. This attracts customers who are obligated to have homeowners insurance and want an affordable option. The basic homeowners policy from Homesite covers:

• Dwelling coverage: This covers damage to the physical structure of a home from covered events, including windstorms or hail.
  • Personal property coverage: This covers your belongings inside and outside your home, including appliances, furniture, clothing and electronics. If they are damaged, destroyed or stolen, Homesite covers them.
  • Loss of use coverage: If your home must undergo repairs and it becomes uninhabitable, this coverage pays for hotel rooms, restaurant meals and alternative transportation.
  • Personal liability coverage: If someone injured on your property files a lawsuit against you, this covers legal fees.
  • Medical payments for guests: If a guest is injured on the property, this coverage pays for medical bills.

Homesite has optional add-ons, also known as policy riders or endorsements. Add-ons increase the price of premiums, but they also increase your coverage.

• Identity theft: If your identity is stolen, this coverage pays for relevant legal fees.
  • Valuables: Additional coverage exists for high-worth valuables, such as expensive jewelry and art.
  • Personal injury protection: This pays for legal fees associated with invasion of privacy, libel and slander.
  • Service line breakdown coverage: This coverage is often necessary for customers who own a service line.
  • Sump pump overflow coverage: Homesite covers repairs needed after a sump pump overflows.

Homesite homeowners insurance discounts

Homesite offers discounts that lower premiums, including:

• Home alarm discount: Homes with a smoke or fire detector or a home security system qualify for a reduction in premiums.
  • Age-related discount: Customers who are older than 55 and living on a fixed income pay less for policies.
  • Home age discount: Newer homes are eligible for a discount.
  • Bundled insurance: Bundle auto and home insurance with Homesite for reduced premiums.

Homesite homeowners insurance FAQ

Is Homesite Insurance part of Geico?
No, but GEICO and several companies offer homeowners insurance through Homesite.
Does Homesite offer other insurance options?
Yes, Homesite sells home, condo, renters, auto, life, commercial and flood insurance. Customers with more than one insurance plan from Homesite bundle them for a discount.
How do I file a claim with Homesite?
To file a claim, call Homesite directly or fill out its online claim form.
Does Homesite choose the contractor for repairs?
No, customers choose the contractor, although Homesite sometimes makes recommendations.

Is Homesite Insurance good?

Overall, Homesite is a good choice for homeowners insurance. Its base plan is affordable, though it lacks some basic coverage that most other home insurance companies include. Customers unhappy with this can enroll in the necessary add-ons. Although reviews vary, many note that customer service is friendly and helpful.

Homesite Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

I do not have flood insurance because my place is not in a flood zone. Then they decline my claim many times including the mold after a flood. It may take thousands to repair the wood floor and trim and they just decline me. I feel like getting fraud. I paid thousands a year to them and they don't even want to pay a single penny on house repair.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

You will see their cheaper prices and you'll think "Perfect! I will never need to file a claim anyway." Then you will unexpectedly need them and they will automatically deny your claim, set impossible standards to prove the damage happened after your policy, and ignore you when you try to contact them. You have been warned.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

In 23 years as contractors had never seen an insurance company that lies so much! The adjuster assigned to the claim (Allah **) never answers the phone, you have to leave a voice mail and rarely he will call back. Claim has been open for 5 weeks now and he told us an EFT was made one day before, when we've never even had given him a routing or account number! The very next day when my office manager confronted him he was super upset and rude, he threaten her on putting a stop payment to the supposed EFT. Anyhow no EFT, no check, no customer service, and no one can tell you no information on the claim. Incredible.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

You make all your insurance payments and they will raise your policy without any notice. So when you find better insurance and cancel they will take over 2 months to send you a refund. Next stop my lawyer.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

This is by far the worst insurance company. The reviews at the top of the page are completely fake!!! Definitely research more into this company before even considering a policy. They will cancel your policy without notice leaving you uninsured. They also demand that you make costly repairs and threaten to drop you. They also start out with good prices then raise their rates. If you try to speak to someone in customer service they won’t give you a straight answer on anything. They will tell you they will send you an email and then not get back to you.

Original review: July 14, 2021

Lead me to believe the damage to my restroom due to leak in wall would be covered. We got all the way to accepting EFT then it was rejected. All I get is it's just not covered and, "Sorry we misinterpreted your policy and coverage."

Original review: July 6, 2021

Do not get Homesite Insurance! They are wanting to do patchwork repairs for damages to a 22 year old house caused by a 140 mph winds storm. Claims rep's supervisor gets belligerent, rude and has accused me of being dishonest, he is refusing to provide policy pages showing what is considered a suitable repair. Have had 4 different desk adjusters in a 2 months and all of them ask for documentation that has been sent in multiple times. They are also refusing to honor line of sight, which in my state is a law. This is by far the worst insurance company I've heard of! I have neighbors with damages identical to mine and their repairs have been completed and paid in full by their insurance companies, obviously they went with a more reputable company.

Original review: June 26, 2021

They would insure my home when no one else would. However, they raised my premiums over $950 dollars my last renewal. I was not happy with that!! They gave the reason that I live in a high fire risk area. I have lived here for 30 years. Why now?

Original review: June 20, 2021

Terrible and shady insurance company. They will sell you insurance, after a few days a home inspector takes pictures of your house from outside without your permission which is completely unethical and unprofessional. If they will find any small issue f which they feel might turn into a claim they will cancel your insurance and would take forever to refund you. Basically all they want is your money but don’t want to process any of the claims. For example our roof has 2 shingles missing and they want us to replace the whole roof in order to continue with the insurance. (I had the roof inspected by another home inspector and per report it was good for another 8-10 years). It is backed by progressive car insurance company. I would avoid this company at all costs in the future

Original review: May 10, 2021

I started a claim 2 months ago have had companies out to my house for estimates and now I can't get a response from anyone with this company. I have sent numerous emails for the last 3 weeks - no response.

Homesite Insurance Company Information