Homesite Insurance

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This is the worst insurance company that I have ever worked with. I have spent 3 months trying to get them to show that my escrow company paid my insurance in full. I have the confirmation of the check being cashed 2 months ago and they are trying to charge me a bounced check fee. I spoke with Eric #** who handled the situation horribly. He told me that I would not speak to anyone after him and that I could mail a complaint to their office if I wanted to make one. I will be changing my insurance company.

These folks are a lying sack of **. They are the worst in customer service hands down. I have had total loss of a home before moving to Texas with State Farm was smooth and easy. I have had several other insurance carriers Farmers and Allstate never a fiasco like Homesite. I wouldn't insure a dog house or a chicken coop with these people. 24 days to get the 1st check to start repairs. Thank God my house didn't burn down. I would have had to sleep in the car for 24 days! I have never in my life had such a hassle with a claim in 35 years of being a homeowner. During this claim after my new roof was installed I made the switch to Allstate. Go with a major insurance company. You won't go wrong.

We experienced damage to our home due to siding coming loose and flooding; ceiling in basement and walls were compromised as well as basement flooring. When we initially called in, we were told that "groundwater" was not covered. Due to ceiling stains, I didn't think this was an issue so we were sent to the adjuster James **. He informed me on the phone, without looking at anything, that this would not be covered. After asking for at least an inspector, he finally consented after I requested to be transferred to someone else. An inspector came a week later during which mold and mildew were growing in my basement as we were afraid to disturb the area and compromise the inspection.

The inspector said it was NOT groundwater, but due to siding spitting away from the wall. No one contacted us, but a week later, we call in to find out they are sending a letter of denial because flooding is not necessarily a groundwater issue, but a lot of rain and since it was an ongoing problem, the claim was denied. They basically found any way out of covering costs that was possible. They have no regards for the families that pay them to take care of them. We signed up with them through GEICO and will be canceling all of our policies with BOTH companies. Wish we had read reviews sooner and had never paid them a cent!

After viewing all the people who had commented on how completely dissatisfied they are with Homesite, it is obvious they are nothing but scam artists who do not deserve a moment of time when considering your next insurance company. I have had the same nightmares and suffered the same frustration when dealing with this company, and all I can say about them is "good riddance". I have had my cars insured with Progressive for over 20 years, but after the experience I had recently with their homeowner insurance company they are affiliated with... I am kicking EVERYONE to the curb.

On my daughter's birthday we experience high winds and our neighbor's tree hit our house. Luckily no one was at home. Our adjuster David ** was on it very quick and within a couple weeks the entire roof was replaced. The interior was completed professionally as well. Lots of drama initially as expected but our adjuster was reassuring and very helpful during the entire process. Everyone that I interacted with at Homesite Homeowners Insurance was very professional. They did not try and cut corners on anything and actually exceeded my expectations with a completely new roof.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Last year a hail storm damaged my roof. After filing a claim I found that a $2500 deductible was in the fine print for storm damage. They also don't cover depreciation or recoverable loss. So my quote for $11,000 to replace the roof resulted in a $2400 payout. I decided to save the money and add to it until I could replace my roof. On the next renewal they QUADRUPLED my policy from $800 to $3200 a year, basically taking the money right back. Since my roof is damaged I have not found an insurance company that will take me. Homesite is basically extorting money at a faster rate than I can save to replace my roof. When I asked for justification they told me since I had made a claim and my credit rating was lower (I monitor my credit, it was not lower) that I was a high risk customer.

I had homeowners with Homesite Insurance and when my storage unit was burglarized they called me a fraud. She accused me of putting in a claim for over 300,000 when the claim for less than 15,000. After a year and a half of fighting them to insure the loss, they refused claiming the pictures I submitted were not valid. They gave me every excuse under the Sun for not paying for the loss. They are the biggest scam artists of the century. If anyone knows of a class action lawsuit against this company let me know... I want in!

There was strong rain in SoCal last Feb, and it damaged our ceiling. The rain came through a balcony (which has some issue. Claimed to HOA and they will do the External Repair, but not Interior.) and damaged our ceiling. But Homestead declined right away stating that RAIN perils are excluded. But my understanding is, the RAIN exclusion is when there is a neglect on my end such as leaving my windows open or door open, etc. But this was not that case. Homestead SHOULD cover this and either get reimbursed from HOA's Insurance or cover with my current limit of dwelling. I kept on sending email and leaving message to adjuster but no response whatsoever. Horrible. Do not go for this company. I trusted them since I went through GEICO but I think GEICO should give up the partnership with them.

Initial rates were low and customer service was decent for our first year with them. The second consecutive year with Homesite our rates doubled... I was beyond frustrated. We had never filed any claims, my credit score had not changed and when we made contact with them after finding out from our mortgage company they made the excuse that because our insurance scores had went down 7 points and that was their basis to double our rates. DO NOT FALL FOR THESE WORTHLESS INSURANCE PEOPLE.

Overpriced, do not provide discounts for usual fire prevention items, keeping them on only until I transfer my whole package of two homes and autos.

They don't cover **. They will find excuses like your deductible to not pay for anything. I had a fence collapse due to the storms and they use a bogus "fence depreciation" calculations where my claim doesn't pass my deductible. Therefore, they won't cover **. ** Homesite Insurance. They are scumbags.

Due to an improperly installed roof that we needed to replace entirely, we suffered mold and water damage on the interior of our home. We absorbed $45,000 of the cost for the roof replacement and mold removal and remediation. Homesite said our policy did not cover the roof replacement or mold removal but would cover the cost of restoration of the drywall, etc. We did not challenge them on this but found that they only allowed $5,000 for the restoration which actually cost us over $10,000. Also, shortly after the aforementioned work was completed, we received notice that the cost of our annual insurance policy had almost doubled from $1,300 to over $2,500. When I inquired as to the reason, I was told that it was because of the claim. This has to be one of the worst scams that I have ever encountered. Disgusting!! I would definitely not recommend this company.

I filed a claim the beginning of March 2017 when we had a bad wind storm. An adjuster came out and estimated the roof. The estimate was around $7500.00, the depreciation was around $4500.00 and $2500.00 deductible. They send me a check for $416.83. I told them to close the claim and I sent the check back. This was an insult. So beware of HOMESITE HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE COMPANY who I got through Progressive auto insurance because they also judge your claim by the area you live in. So beware. By the way I switched my insurances. Hope this helps people before they decide to get this insurance company. Look up what they cover first before you decide to go with them.

Been a homeowner for 8+ years. Had to file my first claim ever after the crazy storms came through California. We had pasture fencing wiped out. I was hesitant to file a claim as I had never before but when we realized the cost to replace our fence we needed help. I filed my claim with pictures to them on a Thursday, money was in our account by the next Tuesday! I worked with a Robin. She was very nice and professional AND helpful. Made it very easy. Hopefully I will never have to file another claim, but if I do I know I'm taken care of with Homesite.

I recently switched my auto & homeowner's insurance to Progressive. I had Allstate but wanted to lower my auto insurance as it is a lease. Well, I had no problem with Progressive's auto. The homeowners however is a big racket. A month in, I get a letter from Homesite Insurance saying they are canceling my insurance because their inspector said there were some shingles lifting/buckling and the roof needed replaced. Now, my roof is over 20 years old but it is still in decent condition. Allstate had no problem with it. My brother in law has his own framing and construction company and he also said it was fine. I had a total home inspection not too long ago and they also said it was fine. So, what I found after some research is that this company is notorious for denying coverage for roofs over 15 years old - regardless. Why? So they will not gave to pay out in an older roof. I'm going back to Allstate for both coverages now.

We've had Geico and Homesite Insurance for about a year now. My concern is that the Homesite website NEVER works. This month we received a letter to renew our policy by making an online payment -- and once again, the site is DOWN. Our policy expires in 1 day (we got the letter only 2 days ago). This has shaken our confidence in Homesite. What if we had an actual claim and could not reach the company? If they're that difficult to reach to make a payment, imagine how difficult it would be if we actually had a claim.

Recently, I decided to bundle my auto/home/UMB policies with Geico; their agents were all to glad to hurry me along on the phone so I booked. Today I received a cancellation notice letter because their inspection because they sent an inspector to check the house without telling or notifying me (typical sneaky Geico insurance people). Despite requesting only paperless comm I received a form letter stating the canceling was to the condition of the roof. The inspector never came to our door to inform us that we was here and took pictures on front/side/back of house without permission to step foot on my private property! Geico send me pictures that prove the agent was in my back and side yards. Very creepy. Now Geico says the decision is final unless I replace the roof in 30 days. Ever try to get a roof replace in the winter, in Buffalo! **! inspection company is CIS group powered by Naviator. Whoever they are. These people are sinister! Avoid.

I decided to bundle through Elephant Auto (Homesite homeowners insurance). The auto department is excellent. When the inspector came he decided that my 14 year old house was in need of a roof for bent or raised shingles that I could not see, and the roof had to be replaced. Mind you this house has a premium roof with a 30 year rated shingle also that I had too much debris in my yard speaking about my thing. I live on 5 acres in the country. He then told me that these were hazards and that they would not insure my property. After a brief try at a negotiation he said his word was final. Ok I could understand if this was a brand new house, but be for real it has a lived in look and the house is in excellent shape. I just had a home appraisal done and was told the house perfect for the age. I would not recommend Homesite because they have no clue about real life and are rude and unwilling to work with their customers.

Filed insurance claim once and raised my price from $800 to almost $2000. I opened a second case but immediately withdrew it because I realized it was my mistake that the problem occurred and are still reporting as second claim even though I cancelled it and had a zero paid out. It seems like this is not an insurance co and more like a bank taking a loan out and you have to pay it back, how else would you explain 800 going up to 2000 dollars.

I had water damage in 3 rooms from a leak. Water litigation dried the house and demoed both bathrooms. Adjuster came, wrote estimate and sent a check less deductible and depreciation. What the hell is depreciation. Just their way of cheating me out of money. Said I could recover after the job was complete. Sent them itemized statement from contractor paid in full. Nope they want receipts or bank statement proving I paid deductible. Wth. They had already sent me a check minus $1000 for deductible. Just plain crazy. I even used the contractor that saved them money. Bought supplies on sale and didn't even turn in our meal expenses. I felt sorry for them. I guess they need the money more than I do. I will drop them. Beware of this company.

We recently had 70 mile an hour winds and part of our roof blew off. We made a claim and an assessor can and said the damage was below our 2700 dollars deductible. However, a roofer gave us an estimate with photos of 8000 dollars damage. Progressive Homeowners said since we had one of their assessors out here the year before and didn't have the damage fixed they wouldn't pay for the current damage or consider the prior damage in this recent claim. The first assessor told us he wasn't going to make a claim because there wasn't enough damage.

One year later, when our roof blows apart Homesite tells us there was a prior claim made. We were unaware as we never received a claim number or letter of denial like you typically would. Their story, employees, and organization seem dishonest, trained in scamming 101, and should never be trusted to insure your property so beware. Out of all the homes we have owned and the different insurers we have had I have never felt so worked over as I have with Homesite. Disgusting.

Purchased a new home last year and needed insurance. So I thought that I would bundle with Geico since I have done well with their auto insurance. When I purchased the house I had it inspected with the inspector noted the roof was in good shape and should last another 10 years. I just need the plastic vents replaced due to cracking and leaking and then the moss cleaned off that was getting rather thick. Being that I live in Western Washington, moss will accumulate one even a new roof in a few years if regular cleaning is not done. So a week or two after the house is mine, Homesite send one of their inspectors around and takes pictures of the moss. I then get a notice with couple of distance photo of mossy roof saying do the moss and condition of the roof that it must be replaced by a licensed contractor.

So a few month later, I get a licensed contractor out there to look at the roof and he said that I just need to replace the vents and clean the roof and it will be good for another 7 to 10 years depending on how clean I keep it. The contractor did the work a couple a week later and I sent in pictures and the paid bill show the work done. The also a note say the roof was in good shape should last another 7 years and at least 10 if I kept it clean. Now it is 6 month later and I receive a notice that they are not going to renew my insurance for failure to replace roof.

After calling Geico and talking I find out that it is Homesite's decision because I did not replace roof and their pictures show how bad my roof is. I did get Geico to have Homesite resend me the notice they first sent me with the pictures. When I received the notice for the second time I noticed that there were quite a few pictures that were not included the first time. The new pictures were close ups of the house showing the moss, but not one photo had a bent warped or damaged asphalt shingle. All the shingles look to be in good shape, just lots of moss on the roof.

While I not out any money other than paying for a licensed contractor to do work that I could have done myself. I do not like someone sitting behind a desk making large financial decisions about my house while not accepting what a home inspections and a licensed contractor who both got up and physical looked at the roof had to say about its condition. The only reason I'm giving 2 stars and not 1 is that are just not renewing my insurance policy rather than just dropping me.

On December 4, 2016 my washer leaked inside my laundry closet and hardwood floor was ruined. Homesite Insurance (partnered with Progressive apparently) sent PuroClean out to check out to assess the damage. Over the next few weeks I was sent SEVERAL different quotes for the repair. One for more than $6,000 and one for around $4,000. Then I was told by the claims adjuster Petronia **, that I should've never received those quotes. I was also told by Jodi at PuroClean to only speak with Scott, when someone else would call me and say no, "only speak to me regarding the claim". It was ridiculous.

Also, I specifically told the claims adjuster at Homesite that I didn't want PuroClean to fix my flooring and that I wanted to hire my own contractor, but she sent the check to PuroClean anyway! Now, over a month later I am still without new flooring and no check. She said I have to wait until PuroClean sends it back to her before she can issue me a new check. I asked her to expedite the check because I need my new flooring installed before I can list my house for sale and I have a deadline. She told me once she receives the original check, she can deposit the funds into my checking account and asked me when I would like her to call and get that information and I immediately responded saying now. She never called. The next day I called to speak to her supervisor but of course no answer.

I cannot believe how this company handles their "customer service". I will be cancelling my policy which is going to be a major inconvenience and I will end up having to pay a higher rate for my home insurance if I leave Progressive since I also have my auto insurance through them. I will be reporting this to their corporate office and the BBB.

A faulty plumbing pipe leaked and caused water damage to the downstairs ceiling. I filed a claim and the next day the restoration company was at my door prepared to mitigate the problem. A few days later the machines were hauled away. They ripped out a large section of drywall in the kitchens ceiling. A few more days went by and hadn't hear anything. Finally I called Geico Homesite and informed them that I needed an adjuster to come out and write up the damage for and estimate. The adjuster came out and appraised the damage. Two weeks passed and I did not hear anything. I received two letters from Geico Homesite telling me they received my claim and they were working on finalizing the claim once they received the contractors estimate.

After another two weeks, I didn't hear back from them. I finally called and got ahold of the claims adjuster. He apologized and explained he was in a training conference in Boston. He said he looked up my claim, but stated he hadn't received the report from the contractor. After two days of not getting an update, I emailed and called my claim adjuster and he ignored my calls and emails. I called Geico Homesite customer service and asked to speak to an adjuster who can give me information about the status of my claim. I asked for a supervisor and the customer service lady said the supervisors were also at the conference. Then she gave me attitude and asked me what I wanted her to do when all the adjusters and supervisors were at the conference.

So basically, all the claims are on standstill and nothing is getting done. Meanwhile, a large section of drywall is missing downstairs in my kitchen. This is bad business practice. Customer claims should not sit for weeks and not have anyone to answer their questions or push their claims forward. As soon as they finalized my claim, I will cancel my policy because this is crappy business. Geico Insurance should evaluate Homesite's business practices and these complaints if they are going continue to partner with them.

I was living in a townhouse. The building had four units and my unit was the end unit. Each unit had three bathrooms, two upstairs and one downstairs. On 5/13/2015 while I was out of town I received a call from my daughter saying that water was coming out the front door of my townhouse. I immediately left and drove home (2 1/2 hours) to find sewage covering the entire lower portion of my townhouse and leaking out the front door to the street. Each time any of the other three units flushed one of their three toilets, sewage would back up into my unit. Sewage was continuously coming up and out of my downstairs toilet to the point of covering my entire first floor and running out the front door. After shutting the water off for the entire building, I contacted Progressive Homesite Insurance that night and they agreed to have an adjuster come see me the next day.

It is now November 1, 2016, one year eight months, nine adjusters, three moves, lost my home and much of my contents later and Progressive homesite is now telling me I am not going to be paid for my contents that I lost. Everyone of the adjusters I have had, has quit, moved to another position or been terminated. The left hand never knows what the right hand is doing or has done and the process starts again.

The contractors that did the repairs on my home had sent detailed pictures of all damages as well as pictures of all my damaged belongings, itemized bills and statements. Progressive Homesite agreed from the beginning that it was not safe for me or my pets to stay in the home. They then sent me a check and said the check was to cover some of my expenses. A week or so later they told me that the check was suppose to go to the contractors doing the repairs on the house and that I had to rectify their mistake. Since I had not spend much of the check I paid the contractors much of what was owed to them.

It seems every time I talked to Progressive Homesite there was a new agent handling my case and of course did not know what had happened or at what point we were at or what to do next. One time I was told that there were four different claims going and that two of the claims should not be, so they were going to eliminate them and that I would a new claim number. Needless to say I was confused!

After several agents later I was able to get the contractors paid and back on track. In the meantime, four months later I did receive a small check for the boarding of my three dogs (forget the cat and my birds) and for some of the expenses that I had incurred. I ended up having to stay with friends or family,

boarding my pets when and where I could, putting most of my belongings in storage and continue to work fulltime in a town that was 75 miles from my home. Plus, every time I would contact Progressive Homesite to discuss the status of my claim I would have a different adjuster and would have to start all over again. One time I called and the adjuster I had at that time stated to me, "I am looking at the information and pictures you have sent us and we should have settlement check in the mail within a couple of days."

The next time I spoke to Progressive Homesite, two to three weeks later I was told that they had received no pictures and I need to submit the list of items, pictures and proof of purchase again. What the... In February 2016 I was told this case should be completed and settled soon... A check was finally sent to me in June. It was for two thousand three hundred dollars and it was made out to me and the previous mortgage company. I called Progressive Homesite to ask why a two party check was sent. I was told the check was for items in the home that were fixtures in the home, like the appliances and fixtures that came with the home (for example the refrigerator).

I explained to them that I had bought the refrigerator myself and the mortgage company had nothing to do with it and that the mortgage company has already been paid off and the home sold. I am the only one that has not been paid for my losses. They told me to prove it, so I contacted the appliance store I purchased the refrigerator from, explained to them the situation and they faxed and emailed a copy of my bill of sale to Progressive Homesite. Well that was (is) not good enough for them. Because the bill of sale only had the model number and the brand name (Frigidaire) on the bill, the bill did not say REFRIGERATOR on it. Progressive Homesite said "How do we know this is a refrigerator or something else?"

At this point I would love to find an attorney that I could afford to take this case on. One would think I was asking for a million dollars or something instead of what I had been paying for the past ten years. All I wanted was to return to the lifestyle and/or close to the place I was at when this accident occurred. Progressive Homesite has put me through so much and caused me so much grief I don't think I will ever be right or even near where I was before this happened. PLEASE BEWARE OF PROGRESSIVE HOMESITE!!!

In April of this year I found out that Homesite Insurance was deducting money from my bank for property that was sold in October of 2013. They took money from November of 2013 until April 1st of 2016. I have submitted my tax return for 2013 and they wanted more documentation. I sent a copy of the sale of the house and that wasn't enough. I was promised return call that never happened. I was told that the documents I sent were never received. But when I questioned them about it they managed to find them. I have had nothing but runarounds since I tried to get my money back. I am beginning to understand why this company has such a poor rating. I was promised a return call. If no results I will file a complaint with the state insurance commission. These bums are corrupt!

Because I'm in day 4 of Hurricane Matthew with nothing but a weak internet signal, I thought I would share about how Lisa (?) from Ohio helped me. I really wish I had gotten her name and spoke to her supervisor. I will admit that I was really pissy. I pay renters insurance and want SOMEONE to tell me what is covered. She was the second person I spoke to. Honestly, I wanted to rain fire on someone because we've been without power and water since Saturday and they are expecting it to be put a week. I tried to fight it, but she worked her magic on me. I felt that she really cared and worked very quickly and diligently to have a claims adjuster call us. I really didn't want to warm up. I wanted to yell at someone for being incompetent... but I couldn't.

She truly was compassionate, and I feel that she is just genuinely that way. Homesite is lucky to have an employee like that because patience and understanding is NOT something you can teach someone. I know they are getting thousands of calls due to Matthew, but I hope that they recognize the people who are truly care about their customers.

Stay away from these crooks. I would give them no stars, if I could. We bought a home 3 yrs. ago and chose Progressive-multi policies... Homesite underwrites Progressive home insurance policies. We have been paying around $750 a year, with small declines in the rate. Well, this year, we were slammed with a raise of $400 on the year!! No notice, nothing. Just took it out of our escrow account. We've had no claims. Nothing has changed. Our credit scores are very high. Our monthly finances and now our escrow account is in jeopardy! Stay away from these crooks people! They'll give you a great rate initially and then when you least expect it, they'll burn you good, with no notice! And, guess what they advised to solve this problem?

Have my husband get a new policy and rate and pay out of our pocket for it, then close the old policy (which I initiated, so I'm the primary), and wait for a refund from the old policy to offset our out-of-pocket expenses on the new policies? Why? Three years later, they'll just screw us again! Stay away folks–initial low rates not worth the drama. Trust me.

I took out insurance on my home, which was valued for approximately $63,000. My insurance with Homesite was over $1500 a year. Never filed a claim, just very expensive. So I cancelled it around the 15th. As of today, September 28, 2016, I still have not received my refund. So I emailed them about it. They responded a couple of days later stating that they send out refunds 15 days after cancellation and I will be receiving mine soon. They couldn't even give me a date. I do not understand why I have to wait 15 days before receiving my money. All I want is my money so I can be done with these people for good. I'm also cancelling my insurance with Geico, after being with them for years. I will be contacting them again tomorrow to find out why I haven't received my refund yet. Please do not do business with these people. I am currently paying under half of what I was with Homesite. Thank you Lord for options!

Due to the August 2016 flooding in Louisiana, we had flood damage to a utility room, garage & RV barn. We have paid approximately $4,500 from 1/2011 to present. The adjustor came to assess the damage & the first thing he said is that the utility room & attached garage are not covered. These are on a concrete slab which is the first floor of a 2 story residence. They will, however, cover the detached RV barn which was not built until 2014 for 10% of the $250,000 policy limits. I have filed a complaint with the Louisiana Insurance Commissioner and will contact an attorney tomorrow for further direction in dealing with this insurance company fraud against a policyholder.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Homesite is a company that is solely focused on providing people insurance for their residences. Homesite is one of the newer homeowners insurance companies around, founded in 1997, and the company operates out of its headquarters in Boston, MA.

• Variety of discounts: Homesite offers a bounty of discounts for their products, making them an affordable choice. These discounts include a moving-in discount, a bundle discount for auto and home insurance, a safety precautions discount and a new home discount.
  • Highly specialized: Homesite only sells insurance for residences. Thus, they are experts on renter’s insurance, condo insurance, traditional homeowners insurance, and more.
  • Excellent customer service: Customer service representatives at Homesite are available to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • History: Homesite Insurance is a younger than many of the bigger insurance companies and has yet to prove its reputation or legacy.
  • Options: While Homesite offers homeowners insurance for typical dwellings, it does not offer policies for more unique homes such as farms or mobile homes.
  • Best for Traditional homeowners, condo owners