Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.93/5

Homesite works with its own customers and those referred from other companies, including Progressive. Homesite’s base plan is a good choice for homeowners seeking affordable coverage. Optional add-ons round out coverage for those needing more. Homesite has a strong financial strength rating from AM Best.

BOTTOM LINE

Homesite’s low premiums are a definite highlight. The most basic coverage could be better, but it serves some customers well, and the company's add-ons boost coverage.

PROS

• Financially secure
  • Helpful customer service
  • Affordable options

CONS

• Base coverage lacking

Top Homesite Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Claims - This was so efficiently handled by Amanda. ... I was amazed. This was the time when all the hurricanes hit. ... yet in her calm, intelligent and good humored way she was terrific. If I could give six stars I would. ... thanks.

I had a small electrical fire in my basement which created more damage than I would’ve expected. I called Homesite immediately after the firefighters had left, and the rep’s first question was if my family and I were all ok. Very nice touch during a stressful time. ... I’m very happy with Homesite.

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

What is Homesite Insurance?

Homesite Insurance sells home insurance policies to customers across the United States. Homeowners who purchase a home insurance plan through Homesite are covered in case of specific damages to possessions or a home’s physical structure. Homesite’s insurance tends to cost less than other companies’ policies, but the base plan doesn’t include as much coverage.

Homesite homeowners insurance cost

Most Homesite homeowners insurance plans range from $900 to $1,900 a year. Quotes differ based on the value of the policy, the location of the covered home and the amount of coverage.

Homesite's homeowners insurance is generally cheaper than its competitors’ policies. This makes it a good choice for those looking to protect their home without breaking the bank.

Homesite insurance premium examples

Policy valueAnnual premium
$75,000$900
$150,000$975
$200,000$1,150
$350,000$1,900

What does Homesite homeowners insurance cover?

One option with Homesite is to purchase the base package. This attracts customers who are obligated to have homeowners insurance and want an affordable option. The basic homeowners policy from Homesite covers:

• Dwelling coverage: This covers damage to the physical structure of a home from covered events, including windstorms or hail.
  • Personal property coverage: This covers your belongings inside and outside your home, including appliances, furniture, clothing and electronics. If they are damaged, destroyed or stolen, Homesite covers them.
  • Loss of use coverage: If your home must undergo repairs and it becomes uninhabitable, this coverage pays for hotel rooms, restaurant meals and alternative transportation.
  • Personal liability coverage: If someone injured on your property files a lawsuit against you, this covers legal fees.
  • Medical payments for guests: If a guest is injured on the property, this coverage pays for medical bills.

Homesite has optional add-ons, also known as policy riders or endorsements. Add-ons increase the price of premiums, but they also increase your coverage.

• Identity theft: If your identity is stolen, this coverage pays for relevant legal fees.
  • Valuables: Additional coverage exists for high-worth valuables, such as expensive jewelry and art.
  • Personal injury protection: This pays for legal fees associated with invasion of privacy, libel and slander.
  • Service line breakdown coverage: This coverage is often necessary for customers who own a service line.
  • Sump pump overflow coverage: Homesite covers repairs needed after a sump pump overflows.

Homesite homeowners insurance discounts

Homesite offers discounts that lower premiums, including:

• Home alarm discount: Homes with a smoke or fire detector or a home security system qualify for a reduction in premiums.
  • Age-related discount: Customers who are older than 55 and living on a fixed income pay less for policies.
  • Home age discount: Newer homes are eligible for a discount.
  • Bundled insurance: Bundle auto and home insurance with Homesite for reduced premiums.

Homesite homeowners insurance FAQ

Is Homesite Insurance part of Geico?
No, but GEICO and several companies offer homeowners insurance through Homesite.
Does Homesite offer other insurance options?
Yes, Homesite sells home, condo, renters, auto, life, commercial and flood insurance. Customers with more than one insurance plan from Homesite bundle them for a discount.
How do I file a claim with Homesite?
To file a claim, call Homesite directly or fill out its online claim form.
Does Homesite choose the contractor for repairs?
No, customers choose the contractor, although Homesite sometimes makes recommendations.

Is Homesite Insurance good?

Overall, Homesite is a good choice for homeowners insurance. Its base plan is affordable, though it lacks some basic coverage that most other home insurance companies include. Customers unhappy with this can enroll in the necessary add-ons. Although reviews vary, many note that customer service is friendly and helpful.

Homesite Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

Our basement flooded 3 weeks ago yesterday. I have called our adjuster no less than 1 time every day since that time and he has NEVER called me back. I spoke with him once when I called the general number and they put me through. I asked yesterday for a manager to call me yesterday. I was assured a call. No call. I have had the water removed but the restoration group was waiting to hear from our adjuster before removing the wet drywall. They haven’t heard from him, despite many calls. My office is in our basement and I work from home so this is affecting a large part of my life and I’m so frustrated. I would never recommend this insurance company.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

We have had Homesite by Progressive for 1.5 years now for our renters insurance. Everything was fine until we got engaged and wanted to add my engagement ring onto the policy. It took from September 19th-November 5th for the ring to be added. Once it was added, our policy went from $285 to $675 (which is steep, but not my main complaint). I had to continuously follow-up for an update each week. Every time I called I was given a different answer and told the classic "5-7 business days" and "I will personally call you back by the end of the day with an update" (which neither statements were ever true).

My rate initially increased $65, which I was like, Okay sweet no biggie. But then I called to get documentation that the ring had been added...no one could see where it had been added and would tell me "Oh, let me send it through right now and we will have it done quickly." To make this endless story short, this continued to happen up until November, but it was finally added on and I was so uncomfortable with them, I did not trust them or their process. If I hadn't diligently called every week multiple times a week, I would have paid the $65 dollars and thought I had insurance on my very special ring.

After all of this, I had the ring removed while I continued to search elsewhere for other insurers. (Not to mention I only had one day to pay the rate increase because of how long they took adding the piece). When I called to cancel, I was told I had to pay $11 for the temporary change in my policy (which was NOT insuring the ring at all, just an increase in the personal property value). They had told me that this was required and could not be waived. This was all their fault, but they refused to own their mistake and would not even attempt to make things right.

Their customer service stinks. While all of the people were kind, I would not recommend them to anyone: the process was scary, untrustworthy, expensive and sketchy. I could only imagine the nightmare it would have been to make a claim with them. Instead, I did lots of digging and ended up going with Zillion online (who was very quick, responsive and accurate) and had my ring insured within hours. I also switched my renters for a third of the price to my local Allstate. I hope this review helps someone out there.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I reached out because I received a notice about my payment coming out on 9/30/2020, I wanted to move my payment to 10/2/2020 (2 days) so my account did not overdraw and my bank did not charge me $35, I spoke to the only available supervisor after a 30 minute wait with a customer service rep, he informed me that there were no options, all I could do is let the payment go through and get charged on my bank's side or cancel my policy and reinstate it in 2 days and pay another 16% down. I live in NC where they required to have renter's insurance or risk getting evicted, I advised Brian number ** that those are not options because they both take away from my rent due on the 1st and he had nothing to offer me, they don't have customer service, they don't care about the clients. All they care about is money. Do not get insurance through them!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

We have been paying into this home insurance for 2 and a half years, then when we finally needed to open a claim after a bad wind storm blew down our fence,90 mile an hour winds!!! THEY WOULDN'T REPAIR OR REPLACE IT. The rude agent Charles, who literally said “I don’t know what to tell you” stated that our fence was old and was worth nothing. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!! It’s part of our house!! So are you telling me that our house is worth nothing too, because it’s “old”. This is ridiculous!!! We have put money into this company every single month!! So they will take your money and not help you when you need it!! So we have NO fence, no security in our yard, and horrible home insurance! We will re rendering that ASAP. We have been Geico customers for over 20 years, and this insurance was through them.. Think they need to reconsider who they do business with. Absolutely disgusted!!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Homesite Insurance's claims team aggressively denies claims. I have to be sued for the damages first, in order to consequently sue Homesite, to receive my claim amount. Do Not Buy Homesite Insurance coverage.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

We had a small flood in our half finished basement 6 months ago. Carpet, baseboards, drywall and a lot of personal items were damaged or destroyed. It was a sewer backup so everything was a total loss. We have full replacement value policy. My husband is detail oriented and loves spreadsheets. He kept meticulous track of receipts compared to the loss spreadsheet provided by our insurance adjuster. When we replaced items my husband would email the receipts with their line item information they had provided. My husband basically did all the work for the adjuster. Yet, every time it would take a month or more to get a payment and it would never be for the correct amount. They also would only pay us full replacement value AFTER we replaced everything in an item category. We pay full replacement value, why not just cut a check for the estimated full replacement costs right away?

Luckily we could afford the be reimbursed after the fact. We estimated $10,000 when the flood happened and offered to take that. If they would have just paid us then they would have saved themselves a lot of time and money. So far because my husband is meticulous and patient they have paid out $13,500 and we still have about $2,000 left to buy. Then it hailed 2 weeks ago, normally we would have let it go but we called and had our roof inspected. If you are an insurance company and try to rip off my family you will regret it. We will be filing complaints to MN consumer complaint board as well as the BBB once everything is done, don't want to be dropped before we get paid. Do NOT use this company, they will rip you off and slow walk your claim.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

I am filing a complaint on Homesite Insurance deceptive practices. I just filed a claim on my pool. The adjuster was not knowledgeable, or was deliberately telling me false information pertaining to my claim. First, I complained about my pool leaking, he stated that cracks were not covered, which was NOT what I stated. I told him the pool foundation could have shifted because of the lack of water. He stated “well if the ground/earth shifted, then that’s not covered.” I never said that the ground shifted. After the misuse of my statements, misconstruing my information, he stated that he will go ahead and close the claim. I said “why would you close a claim and you never came to see the damage?” He stated that he is not a licensed pool engineer. I told him to not close the claim unless you get someone authorized to inspect the damage. He told me to get a quote myself, and if he don’t see it within 10 days, then he will close the claim. I HAD NO CHANCE.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I’m getting discouraged. I haven’t received any response to my questions since July 21st. My problem started since the beginning of July and I believe if my questions are answered I will be able to move forward and continue with this plan. Renewal date is on August 11 and I’m skeptical to even renew. Can someone help? I’ve already called for a supervisor twice and no answer.

Original review: July 31, 2020

On April 14 2020 we had a very bad wind storm where it knocked my siding loose on my house. I contacted the insurance company to inform them that my siding is flapping and they are coming off the walls. An estimator came, walked around the house and went on the roof. Checked the roof and went to my yard where I keep my garden equipment. Went on the roof, inspected it and went on his way. After one week I was told the the damage was on at $2000 and it won't be covered by them since my deductible is 2% so they are not paying anything. I hired a contractor to check the siding. I was given a $40,000.00 estimate. I took that estimate and forwarded to the insurance company. A week later the adjuster was replaced with a new adjuster.

The new adjuster called me the first time to introduce himself. After that I didn't hear anything for three weeks then I was given so many stories that they are waiting on the contractor to send them pictures and reports. In the meantime we been having rain like there is no tomorrow and I'm having water come in to my house. After three month of the run around they send in the second person to place a tarp on my walls on the outside on my house and the new guy seen that the first person didn't place the tarp the right way so there was water coming in the house.

After 6 month of going back and forth I received a letter that they are going to pay only $1800 to fix my house so my question to all why do I have to pay the insurance company if I have to pay for everything? It's a ripoff. This company is a scam and that don't know jack. Word of advice if you're looking for an insurance company to cover your home like the lending company want find some one else. This company would rob you and walk away if something goes wrong. They are in business to take your money and leave you hanging to dry.

Original review: July 16, 2020

Expect my entire roof to be replaced in less than a week or policy will be cancelled. (Roof was fully replaced less than 10 years ago.) Underwriter Karen takes forever to get back to me. Therefore I have to scramble to find a roofer and mean time none of my questions can be answered only an email threatening to cancel. Even if a professional roofer who will actually get on the roof and disprove Homesite's diagnosis that they themselves gave without even getting on the roof, they insisted a roof must be installed in 6 days!! Be careful with this company if you are trying to switch providers to bundle your car and home. They underwrite for Geico.

Homesite Insurance Company Information