1.25/5
Based on 250 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

305 Homesite Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 9, 2018

If I could just give a “0 star” rating, I would prefer this. I made the big mistake in switching to Homesite, bundled with my Progressive Car Insurance from Geico/Liberty Mutual back in February 2018. It was sadly right after making the switch there were major wind and rain storms in Maryland, starting in March 2018 and the following months until now, of course... Fortunately, I have a general contractor locally that was able to replace the blown off shingles and button up the siding that had come down during these storms to assure it didn't get any worse. Homesite hired a company to tarp my roof up in the problem areas because they did eventually leak in a newer construction part of the house.

The next step was to have an outside adjuster come to my home and inspect all the damage. It was told to me that I was going to need all new siding/insulation and a new roof (25 year shingles/tar paper) with this claim. He did bring up that Homesite had my roof recorded to be 25 years old which didn't make sense because I only purchased this home a little over three years ago and the home inspector noted my roof being 10 years old, putting it at 13 years old. I did feel relief from this adjuster during that time and he seemed reassuring that I would only have to pay my $1,000 deductible only and I should be able to get the inside adjuster to change the age of the roof without an issue. I was sadly mistaken when I spoke with Wayne ** of Homesite.

Wayne ** stated that they recorded the age of the roof to be at 25 years old when I signed up and it was never discussed when I signed up, nor was it mentioned in my contract. This apparently was public information of my county and it was told to me that the roof couldn’t exceed 10 years of age in order to repair at their cost. I told Wayne that I have inspection paperwork from when I bought the house stating the roof was 10 years old 3 years ago and he wouldn’t accept this. He then told me I would have to submit the following instead: "1. A roof permit issued by your local building department, or 2. An invoice for the work completed, color photos of the roof, and a statement signed by you confirming the date of installation, or 3. A certification from a licensed contractor with the estimated age of the roof, color photos of the roof, and a statement signed by you confirming the age of the roof."

I wasn’t too keen on the idea of having my general contractor come back and get on my roof again for no reason after the shingle repairs were done in March, so I asked about the inspection again and was denied. Instead I was approved for the siding and was forced to move $4,262.12 from their account to my savings account digitally to have the siding done and was told I needed to come up with the other $5,600 that they quoted to the damage instead of paying my deductible only. This is my first home and first claim as well and I was feeling ignored when I emailed Homesite 3x and no response. I also called Wayne’s voicemail and didn’t receive a phone call back and another time the voicemail was full. There wasn’t strong enough communication on this whole thing from the beginning, so I decided to take this to the next step and try working with a manager. Now I’m working with Jennifer **, who is a manager in Homesite.

Jennifer has been a little more informative than Wayne, so far and I thought we were finally breaking ground by her allowing to review my home inspection from when I purchased my home. Her and I discussed what I had done in the meantime of the damage happening and how I’ve been trying to be pragmatic about it. Jennifer evaluated my inspection and said that she’s unable to change the roof age in my policy because it’s at 13 years old, exceeding 10 years. I don’t think my file was even updated to reflect the 13 years which is half of the original 25 years. Though it doesn’t look like this has sadly gotten me anywhere either.

She advised me to contact Baltimore County Housing and to see if there was a roof permit I could provide, besides 25 years of age. She also advised to check with my mortgage company to see if I could refinance my home and use the equity in my house to roll the new roof into the equation. I asked about the certified letterhead that Wayne suggested as my original inside adjuster and if I could get the estimated age written out to submit. She said she’ll submit this to upper management and try again once I get a letter from a roofer.

Today (7/9/18), here we are over a month later since I’ve submitted this claim and I still have tarp on my roof and siding popping off my house. I have 4 companies lined up to provide estimates for the siding and the roof to submit to Homesite. Did as Jennifer recommended and contacted my mortgage company and will cross that bridge if I need to, also I contacted Baltimore County Housing. Baltimore Co. said that permits for roofs are only needed if the whole roof is being redone, including the wood. There’s no reason why there should have been a permit on my roof past this 25 years unless there was major damage, since then there was all new tar paper and shingles on the whole house construction due to their being an addition added to this home.

At this time, I’m awaiting a phone call back from Jennifer, hopefully with good news that I can get the go ahead on having all work completed with just my deductible. I’m still unable to find anything on my agreements and declarations page with Homesite on the original age the roof that they recorded of my being 25 years old and where I would be denied my claim for it being 10 years+ old. I could understand if the roof was 15+ years old, but 13… And that was an estimate when I had the home inspected 3 years ago. I’ll still submit the letterhead with a roofer, if need be. But being denied this claim seems to be a common issue with most customers of Homesite according to a ton of “1 star” reviews on Consumer Affairs, see link: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/insurance/homesite.html.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Although I have not had to submit a claim, I have no reservations. Coverage is better than average for price & adequately spelled out. No hidden bits or IRS. Customer service is immediately responsive & convenient.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 19, 2018

In 2017 my insurance premium was $733.00. In 2018 my premium jumped 438% to $3,210.00. As I have never filed a claim, I asked why. I was told that they experienced massive losses in my area, keep in mind that I live in Arizona and my area has never experienced any type of natural disaster and Arizona has one of the lowest crime rates in the country and the particular area that I live is even lower than the statewide average. This company gouges consumers. DO NOT get pulled into their low introductory rate, they will gouge you later. SCAM COMPANY.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I was trying to bundle car and renter's insurance online and this Homesite (that I didn't even realize Progressive had redirected me to) thing told me I had bundled it (for a price that was reasonable), so I put my payment information in and THEN it tells me it's only renter's insurance, not bundled, and would I like to get some car insurance! So they charged me what I thought was car and renter's for just renter's for double what I already pay! So then I call Progressive and they can't find my policy until three hours later (of continuous calling) when they finally tell me, "Oh it's Homesite."

So then I call Homesite and every time I get sent to the correct department they mysteriously can't hear me. 3 times in a row. So then I get smart and call the claims department and she gives me the DIRECT number that no one else would. Finally I am talking to a real person in the right department. Who tells me it takes 15-20 days for my bank account to be reimbursed!!! They took $100 from me by lying and faking stuff and then they won't refund my money for nearly a month! I live on a limited income and can't afford this domino effect! They didn't care. At all. Nothing they can do they said.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Progressive offers homeowner's insurance through Homesite Insurance. Since they were giving me such a great deal on my auto policy, I decided to apply and was subsequently approved. I want to stress that I was honest in filling out their online form/questionnaire; I was upfront about the older roof, which is still in okay condition, and the state of the house in general. I also want to point out that I was happily insured with another company, and if Homesite and Progressive hadn't offered such competitive rates, I would still be with that other company.

Now, one month after applying and becoming insured with Homesite, they are cancelling my policy due to mostly cosmetic things and their belief that I need an entire roof replacement. Straight up cancelling! I wouldn't be so angry if they were giving me the opportunity to fix anything, but they aren't. I've already found a company willing to replace my roof (who, by the way, says it still has some time in it). This is an old house, and we've been working on it since we bought it. It's come a long way; we're definitely willing to put in the work. I could call Homesite and see if they would be willing to reinstate our policy, but they screwed up by not even giving us the chance to perform repairs. If they are only willing to insure new, perfect homes, maybe they should start inspecting properties BEFORE they take someone's money! Screw you, Homesite!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Original review: May 23, 2018

We bought a Homesite policy when we bought our house in 2007, the cost was $373. We had one claim that was useless after a hail storm. The damage was $800 and the deductible was $800 for gutters and a roof square. They wrote themselves a check and we paid out of pocket for repairs. Then dinged us for the claim. We were the only house within sight of our house to not get a new roof in 2007. In 2008, the policy premium increased to $856 due to the 2007 claim. In 2009 the policy increased to $1217 with no claims since 2007. In 2010, the policy premium increased again to $1693, with no claims with the rationale that people replaced roofs a lot in 2009. I find that hard to believe because they refused to replace our roof in 2007. In 2011, the premium increased to $2131 again with no claims.

A month or so later we filed a claim after some damage to the roof due to hail and ice. We had actually moved out of this house and had no idea we had to get a different kind of insurance to cover it. The worst part is I called and asked Homesite specifically if we needed to modify our homeowners policy when we moved. The woman we spoke to asked if lived in the house when I filed a claim. I said no and she immediately told me she was cancelling the claim and the policy and hung up on me. When I finally was allowed to talk to a manager, several days later she told me there was nothing she could do about the claim, but offered me two policy options. The first being to purchase a standard homeowners policy for $2800 a year and they would provide proof of insurance to our mortgage company, but there would be no coverage.

They wanted me to pay them to lie on paper to my mortgage company and I would have to bear the cost of anything that happened to the property. The second option was to buy vacant home coverage which was quoted to me at $6000 for the year. She highly recommended the first option saying the likelihood of something happening while I found other insurance options was pretty slim. $2800 was better than $6000. The first year is cheap, but premiums double every year even without claims. Progressive told me during their last upsell of their Home Advantage they stopped using Homesite. My experience was so bad with Homesite. I researched every company that uses them and avoid doing business with them. It is too bad Progressive still uses this company.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I have to question if this is even a legitimate flood insurance company. Jackeline ** has been main contact and has given me several different phone numbers, all of which are not for Homesite. I had questions about renewing my policy or making a payment. All phone numbers given have not been for Homesite Insurance. When I call her back she apologizes and says she gave me the wrong number and provides me with another incorrect number. So many incorrect phone numbers, I gave up!

They have no site or account for automatic payment deduction. Other online reviews average this company a 1 1/2 stars. Read reviews before making a decision and avoid this company. This company is part of Progressive Insurance, who initially referred me to Homesite for a renter's insurance flood policy. When I contacted Progressive today 5-15-18 to request flood insurance for renters, I was transferred once again to Homesite. When I told the woman who answered I didn't want to work with Homesite, she told me it was through the federal government. I told her, "No thanks, not using Homesite." and I hung up.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I bought a house, and when Homesite got around to inspecting it they decided I need to replace the roof on the house and the detached garage, repaint and repair some of the trim on the house and garage as well. By the time I got somebody to replace the roofs ($8000) and then somebody to repair and repaint the trim ($6000) as well as find $14k to pay for everything, they cancelled me. Yup.

As if that wasn't enough, during a storm a tree fell onto the detached garage, which had just been repaired. I filed a claim that same day. I called in the next day to provide additional detail, and I was told the original claim wasn't in the system. So, they filed a second claim. About 2 weeks later an adjuster finally called me after me hounding the company for a callback and finding a CSR willing to tell the adjuster's manager he was doing a ** job. He could barely answer any questions... ZERO knowledge. Since I wasn't sure of the extent of the damage and my deductible was high, he said he'd cancel the original claim and then I could refile when I knew how much damage I had.

That night a woman called and said that we needed to pursue the second claim as well, because my neighbor had car damage. She wanted to cut a check with ZERO proof. I sent her pictures and she ended up giving the man the max - $1000. She insisted the second claim needed to stay separate from the garage damage claim. I had some contractors come out and tell me it was easily $30k to replace the garage. It was totaled. So, I went ahead and filed a 3rd claim. After that, no work from these guys for about a week after being told I would hear from the "adjuster" in 24 hours.

A few more days of chasing people down and leaving messages with an attitude and finally I get a CSR who knew what the heck she was doing and she tells me that I should NOT have 3 claims. The first one needs to be reopened and the second combined with the first, while the 3rd one completely closed. Then I'm told an adjuster will be at my house within the week. The guy finally shows up to my house to take pictures. This is a different adjuster, who then sent his pictures to the first adjuster. I was told a week tops before hearing back anything. It's been about 2 more weeks. I started leaving more voicemails and sending emails. (BTW - you cannot directly email your adjuster... they all go to the same email address.)

Today I called and the CSR IM'd the adjuster who then suddenly had time to talk to me. The CSR said he was pulling the information together and it would be few minutes. I waited. When the ** got the phone he says "What can I do for you?" I told him I needed a claim update. He said he'd have his review done by the end of the day and a check requested within 24 hours. Sound familiar? He said he hadn't looked at the onsite adjuster's information yet, and he couldn't give me any detail on how much, etc. I told him that if needed I have a contractor on paper saying it will take more than my policy will cover to replace. He told me he'd just sent a check and I could take it up later. Right. I'm sure it will be a priority.

So, they cancelled my insurance, remember? And there are still 2 open claims on my account. So, my current quotes are nearly $300 higher per year. I asked why there were 2 open still and he said he didn't know and it was the first he's hearing of it. He said they'd look into it. Right. Another priority? Bottom line - DO NOT USE THEM. Ever. Never, ever use them. They are the only company offered through Progressive and Geico that will service my area, but I'm DONE with online shopping for this insurance. DONE. Terrible, horrible, ** experience.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I was given Homesite through Progressive! Shame on you Progressive for sending your customers to this shady company! First when I signed up I was grossly mislead into thinking I had basically the same coverage I had through USAA but come to find out the contents of my refrigerator are not covered! And they say my electronics and computer equipment have a deductible but looking at what I can see of the policy this stuff is supposed to be under a special endorsement, what happened? I went on a long trip. I was gone 5-6 days. When I got home the main breaker was tripped in my trailer. When I turned it back on several expensive computer items were damaged from either a surge or lightning strike!

The person assigned to my claim fought with me tooth and nail and said there’s a deductible for the computer equipment. This is what the policy says I’m covered for “Replacement Cost on Personal Property. “Protected”. When you purchase this endorsement, you can replace stolen or destroyed personal property with items of like kind and quality without deduction for depreciation.”

I’m supposed have this I paid for it! He was very rude and told me to prove I had a 0 deductible for this! But as of yet he refused to honor it! Now they ask for my landlord's contact information? They say this is to verify the loss? How can this verify a surge inside my dwelling? The landlord has no right to enter my property for this matter. He had nothing to do with the weather and the weather did no damage to his property! This is just a ploy to find a way to deny the claim! I also had to pay someone almost $200 to get a diagnostic of the damage. This came out of my pocket. They say it’s covered and they will pay me for this expense! But so far I have done nothing but spend money and got nothing back for my premium I paid a full year for!

Once this is over I’m gone. Going back to USAA! I only left USAA because of a divorce. What a mistake! I will also be taking my auto policy back to USAA! Do not do business with Homesite or Progressive! Unless it’s through USAA! USAA has a deal with Progressive for RV and other coverage and will not let Progressive screw their members over! But if you deal with them directly forget it. You're wasting your money. Go somewhere else!

Original review: March 14, 2018

I rent an apartment with mandatory insurance, I chose the Progressive/Homesite Insurance, because my car insurance is there. One night when I was at work, an apartment upstairs was broke pipe and my apartment was flooded. January, everything is flooded in the apartment and I had a shock. I called to the insurance Property Claims Adjuster Mr. Michael **. He very friendly helped to find temporary housing and cover the costs after the flood. I express my gratitude to Mr. Michael ** and Progressive/Homesite Insurance for their help.

Original review: March 13, 2018

We were involved in the Thomas Fire and resulting mudslides. Although we did not sustain damage, we were evacuated several times - "loss of use" because the evac was mandatory. I was basically told that because our home wasn't wrecked, we were not covered -- even though we could not use our home. SO here we stay during the next evac because we can't afford to move to a hotel.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Graded F- This company should not be allowed to sell insurance! I don't understand why the government can't do something about companies like this. I called the state insurance phone number for insurance and there are no guidelines to protect the insured party for scams that this company pulls on people. One small claim after many years of no claim and they cancel you on the spot. As long as you are sending in your money for their insurance premium, you're good with them... not protected at all! Sad but this company is handed to people who get their multi insurance as bundled with Progressive, Geico, and other companies without the insured knowing who they are being given to. STAY CLEAR, WE ARE VERY SORRY WE DIDN'T LOOK INTO THIS COMPANY RIGHT AWAY TO FIND OUT only after we needed them.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I switched to Progressive for my home and auto coverage after leaving Allstate. I had a Renter's policy with Progressive (Homesite). We had a banking fraud incident at our credit union where all of my family's accounts were wiped. We originally had autopay set up for these policy premiums. I got a bill from them in the mail and started mailing payments to the renter's policy after switching banks. A few months later I started getting refund checks back from Homesite because during that period of fraud and the process of switching banks and mailing payments, they cancelled my policy and issued refund checks.

When I called to follow up on the returned premium checks, I was informed they couldn't "reinstate" my policy, so I had to start a brand new one with them which I did, and is now the policy in question. During that phone call to start the replacement policy, I asked many questions, and made sure I had the additional protection on there to cover the equipment and verified that it was “replacement” coverage. We even discussed adding flood insurance at a later date (sales agent’s name was Nicki).

Fast forward: I came home after being in an outpatient clinic and ultimately, the emergency room all day and night on November 20, 2017 to find my home had been burglarized (2nd time! 1st time was back in 2010). They gained access to the home through the 2nd floor bedroom windows (climbed up a tree onto our porch roof and went through a bedroom window). My entire office was wiped out. This is the sunroom of our house and where I stored about $30,000 worth of professional grade photography equipment, lighting gear, Apple computers, laptops, and iPads. The burglars left our 2 TVs and took nothing else (we didn't have much else, because we couldn't afford to replace much after our first robbery. No video game units or anything else of value in our home).

During the last THREE MONTHS of this ordeal, Homesite has done nothing short of delay the processing of this claim and create multiple roadblocks in getting it paid timely. I was very patient at first, but this has been stressful and ridiculous as the amount of time I have put into gathering ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS, submitted HUNDREDS of receipts, hundreds of pages of proof of purchase, prior renter’s policies, spreadsheets of my inventory with serial numbers, photos of the home damage, photos of some of the items stolen, photos of the ACTUAL boxes things came in with serial numbers, model numbers, and every possible piece of information we could find.

This insurance company has acted IN BAD FAITH and never had any intentions of paying this claim even though my policy is a "FULL REPLACEMENT" policy. They continued to hold up the claim for ONE missing receipt for a used lens I had on my art camera (5D Canon converted to Infrared) that they never intended to pay anyway. I even submitted a RAW photo that had metadata showing the camera and lens that was used to take the photo. Even if we could not prove ownership of that ONE item out of $30K worth of other items, the claim could have been paid LESS that ONE ITEM for future follow-up.

This process went on for over 3 months. I talked to multiple people, an adjuster came to my home and interviewed me. They switched claims adjusters, and said they had to perform multiple "round-table" discussions to review my "questionable" claim on this "new" policy (even though it wasn't "New" but a replacement policy), and I had even submitted proof of prior renter's policies with prior companies to the claim adjuster and to the claims agent when asked why I never had renter’s insurance before this. In the end, they are offering $3,000 as a settlement claim for a $30,000 original claim stating that most of my property had at one point in its lifetime been used "professionally" therefore, it didn't qualify and they were putting a "cap" on my policy of the $3,000.00.

Talking to "supervisors" has been fruitless. Talking to the agents has been fruitless. It has been well over three months of constant stress and lack of cooperation in getting this claim paid. Now they are acting in bad faith in paying the claim at all. Looking at the complaints filed against them after the fact has just shown me they are a company with shady practices and should not be allowed to represent Indiana policy owners if they don't want to pay claims that policy owners pay premiums for and expect to help them in times of need.

This company is RUDE, full of incompetent business practices, and they have NO intention of paying your claims! It's reality folks! Insurance companies are NOT here to help you in your time of need, they are here to find a way to save their own ** and NOT pay your claim, or to pay the least amount as legally possible to screw YOU, the consumer out of coverage you think you purchased!!! BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

We suffered a devastating house fire in November- the fire was arson. We were devastated. Homesite has been incredibly rude, unhelpful & basically treated us like we burnt our home down. We went through several interrogations, interviews with multiple agents & private investigators. They are now demanding we travel 3/4 hours away to meet with yet another person- an attorney before any payouts or anything is done. We were not near the home when fire was set. We have cooperated fully with their demands with no avail.

It's sad that the only professional person was from Brightsite (Ryan **) who gathers your remains of your contents & what's left of your home-then Todd from Service Master was very pleasant & showed some compassion for what we were going through. We've lost pretty much everything we have. We have a large family (7 of us total-5 children) & they've put us in a hotel room for the last 70+ days with 2 queen beds. No food vouchers, no "sorry about your loss," NO NOTHING!!! It's such a shame!!

When someone goes through a fire its devastating enough- but then to be treated like criminals & bad people is in a different level. The desk adjuster is completely disconnected. It sounds like he works from home & has no clue how to show empathy or concern for our loss. They were paid for their services & now that it's time to cover something. It's like we are scum of the earth. No formal estimate on damages- only told we were responsible for the home & any further damages done (by fire or water) until their investigation was completed. It is the middle of winter - subzero temperatures & wet, frozen & empty home other than our belongings that remained for 2 weeks!!! We only had the clothes on our backs!

We've had to deal with demo people, begging for information- no help from our insurance company. This company is through Geico/Progressive & the money they save you each month is not worth the money you'll have in doing your own repairs, the headache of dealing with them & heartache you'll go through dealing with this pitiful excuse for a company. RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN & GET A DIFFERENT INSURANCE COMPANY!!! If I could give them a negative number in reviews I would. Horrible customer service, horrible morals, horrible company!!! Scam artists at its best. Cut rate insurance. It's been the most horrible horrific experience of our lives!!!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

They lie and asking to talk with the supervisors are just as bad as the adjuster. They never call you back when you call and leave a message. The same is with the supervisor, no return call either. My suggestion is if you do have them as your insurance call the insurance commission in your state and get them involved in your claim because before it's over you will be calling them anyway. YES they are that bad. No customer service at all! As soon as I receive my payment for my claim I will be changing my insurance as is my daughter who also is canceling her policy with them. They don't have 292 complaints for nothing. RUN from Homesite. They are through Progressive Home Insurance. Don't be suckered in. You call Progressive and this is the underwriter for Progressive. Don't be fooled. They are the worst. I will be going back to State Farm... SOON AS I RECEIVE PAYMENTS.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Claims - This was so efficiently handled by Amanda ** of the Binghamton New York. I was amazed. This was the time when all the hurricanes hit... yet in her calm, intelligent and good humored way she was terrific. If I could give six stars I would... thanks.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I recently had a home fire which destroyed my entire home. There was nothing left at all. I call Homesite Insurance and they instantly threw my claim to the SIU department. They placed me in a hotel. It's been a few months now. I receive a email saying I need to do a EUO. This company loves taking people money but sit on their hands when it's time to payout. So they basically denied me when I called to file the claim. Please, I'm begging you, no matter how good they may sound do not go with this company. They are professional SCAM artist that the government lets get over on people... It's not worth it. I haven't received one dime from these people. Sad company, bad business and SCAMMERS!!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Filed a claim after Irma. Was mailed a letter dated the 8th that my property needed an inspection before renewal. They already knew Irma was going to hit us. I had renewed in June. This was Sept. After numerous phone calls someone came yesterday. Talk about a blow off. Impersonal. This wasn't covered. That wasn't covered. How did the shed get knocked down. It was a HURRICANE. Freezer that was crushed. Not covered. Food. Not covered. Fence... we put back up ourself. DO NOT USE THEM.

The adjuster told me on the phone he was looking at my damage yet no one had been here. CANCELING. As FEMA said... Hardly ever is a home an entire loss at almost 3k a year premium on a 160k policy. I'll fix it myself. Forget a nice friendly appraiser. Or an honest adjuster. After a call they said that John was my appraiser... That was my husband!! Tried to make most repairs on our own but roof was damaged too bad. We did fix ceilings... fences and replace our building.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have called Dan ** last week and no call returned. The contractor's work was done with the wrong product. Dan gave him a copy of the supplies needed. Lots of errors, bathroom is unsafe. I still have toilet water dripping into my living room. Plus so many other issues. Contractor was given money from Homesite to remove gable and the walls that adjoined the bathroom. Contractor told me adjuster ** told him not to remove walls. He was paid. Contractor will not return money to us or insurance company. That is insurance fraud. When my mother, Carmen ** and myself, Kim ** called insurance company Mr. ** told us not his issue.

There has to be a department that handles fraud cases and poorly, incompletely done work. My mother will need to put on another claim. Tub is unsafe, Kim has almost fallen out bathroom window inside the tub. Tub is unleveled. There is painters tape around Tub that was grouted and cannot remove tape. Also tape on outside of tub and grouted cannot be removed without scratching new tub, the same with toilet. Contractor also used wall tiles with a weight limit on floor that is also on wrong boards. Tiles are cracking. Tub tiles not grouted all the way. Faucet and shower pipe are 3 to 4 inches away from tile and inside the wall the pipe was not anchored. Sanding and painting was sloppy.

I can not afford to hire a lawyer, have gone to every agency in CT for help. No luck. This man needs to pay back the insurance money and also fix my living room wall that he cracked when sledgehammering old tub. He was also paid to close up hole in living room. Did not do and won't return money. I need the insurance company's help with this one and it is like they wiped their hands off this. Because of my ex contractor my mother home rates will go up and the value of her home has gone down. This is unfair. My mother is 79 yrs old and I am disabled, lower back and hips have arthritis, I do not feel safe in the shower. I have already fallen twice while showering. I took the sink with me and hit my head on the wall. The sink was not properly installed.

Please get back to me, I need to tell you one more issue and it is private, I do not want to put it on the web. But, I can say this I feel very unsafe in my home and in my yard. I do not go out like I use to. Fear of running into him or the 2 workers he had that he paid cash to for working, no taxes... taken out, that also is illegal. The legal dept needs to help my mother and me. If I do not hear from you, your company will also be brought up to the channel 30 investigation unit.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Received an estimate to perform repairs on my property following a severe storm which included Recoverable Depreciation. I obtained the necessary materials and performed the repairs myself. Once I submitted all of the necessary paperwork including pictures of the repairs and receipts for materials Homesite provided me with an updated estimate which was much lower than the original estimate and stated this new estimate was based on "homeowner's rates". This new estimate now showed that Homesite owed $0 dollars for Recoverable Depreciation vs >$5,000 on the original estimate. The Homesite representative claims that I should have been informed that the original estimate was for "contractor rates" and that "homeowner rates" are different however there is nothing on their website and nothing listed on any of the documentation I have received.

I feel like Homesite is ripping me off after I completed the repairs to my property. Furthermore they raised my home insurance premium by more than $1,400 and verbally stated this was because I have had some recent claims (1 small claim in 2016 for a backed up sump pump and 2 claims in 2017 (both 2017 claims are from the same severe storm). I am being punished for actually using the insurance I have continuously paid for and Homesite is desperately trying to recover any money they can from me since they paid out money to perform the necessary repairs to my property per my insurance policy. I am going to explore legal options now as what they are doing to me is illegal.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

It is now well over a month after Harvey. In spite of dozens of calls (on hold 20-22 minutes then disconnected) I have been unable to speak with anyone at Homesite and my email correspondence goes unanswered. My home is flooded and gutted and I cannot make any progress at all with Homesite. This is a very big disappointment and mistake. Do not trust Homesite.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Had wind storm go through my area in March 2017. Wind damaged 5 homes in my neighborhood, including mine. Called Homesite to report the claim and they finally sent out an adjuster on 5/10/2017. His report concurred the wind damage and their estimate to replace was $13,300. Then they dinged me 3% of home value, which they claim was $300,000. Ya right. So that takes the settlement down to $10,300. Then they deducted that my roof was depreciated and it was 25 yrs old. Final settlement was $3700. Problem was, my roof was only 12 yrs old and their adjuster and another contractor verified this.

After 2 months trying to make contact, I was advised my claims adjuster was no longer there and I was assigned another. After several phone calls and leaving voicemails, I finally made contact with the new rep after being told he wasn't in. He tells me that they did reimburse me for a 12 yr old roof, which is false. Furthermore, he advised me they're not giving me any more money, even after I told him I found a contractor for $8,000 to replace. Depreciation had nothing to do with the damage from the wind and he didn't care. He told me there's a provision in my policy stating they didn't cover depreciation, which I still haven't found.

When I told him I was changing companies, he didn't really care. This is a division of Geico, with whom I had auto insurance. Guess what? Not anymore. This company the worst customer service and I would highly recommend anyone to go elsewhere. Just don't buy insurance from a company that uses a lizard as its mascot. And all my neighbors got their roofs fixed w/o a hitch. I'm the lone wolf who apparently didn't do enough research on this company.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

A hailstorm passed through the Denver area damaging many roofs. Both of my neighbors had a new roof before I received my claim check. I have a $1000 deductible on claims but it seems that hail damage had a $2500.00 deductible. I searched and found a great deal on replacing my roof, I purchased the materials and paid for labor. After submitting my invoice to recover the depreciable value I receive an email telling me that I did not spend enough money to qualify. Also not covered were items that the adjuster listed such as chimney cap and dented gutters. Homesite claimed it was only "cosmetic" damage. To top it off I wrote this entire review while waiting on hold to speak to an insurance agent. I'd find another insurance co.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

We have been insured with Homesite for about four years and within that time three years ago we had a claim for a dog scaring someone off a bike and every year the amount of the policy payments went up but this year it went up almost three hundred dollars and we have not had any claims other than the one three years ago. So we found a better policy with a different company for less and called Homesite to cancel our existing policy. Now even though it was just raised they said they can find us discounts now. If there were discounts to be given why raise my policy payments? This makes no sense at all. Farmers gave us a better policy for less.

Original review: July 27, 2017

My wife and I bought a house at the end of June, and used Homesite Insurance for our home owners insurance. Everything went well through purchasing the insurance, and Homesite was aware that our roof was an older roof. I've just received a letter dated July 24, 2017 stating that our insurance was cancelled due to the roof having some missing shingles and wear. I am not disputing Homesite's right to refuse service. My issue is that I won't be receiving a refund for the rest of the year for 2-3 more weeks.

If I return an item that I bought, it's general practice that I would receive my money or some sort of credit immediately, so what I'm failing to understand is how an insurance company can cancel a policy without immediately returning the funds for a service that they are no longer providing. Further, if I am required to have insurance on my home, how could an insurance company hold onto money that was directed for that purpose, thus hindering my ability to comply with the necessity of having home insurance due to their decision to not serve us.

Original review: July 27, 2017

My apartment flooded and I lost clothes, my bed, bags, documents, family photos, and receipts of those items. It was a flood, for God's sake. I contacted them and it took two days for a call back. They asked for photos, two days later, which I provided. Bottom line, after two months of dealing with this, I finally got a call and they mentioned my claim was not approved because the lack of photos. Anyway, do not do business with this company. They are only interested in collecting your payments and when you need them, they will deny your claim. I lived in misery for a month with not even a bed to sleep on and all they said it was, "Well, next time, take better photos". Lesson learned. Never again Homesite Insurance.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Went with Homesite through Progressive renters insurance and to say that I am happy would be a understatement... Plumbing over flowed in the basement and it's a in-law suite and got bed set, rug, dressers, mattress and a couple other things... Called Homesite. They were very nice and professional. No hassles. Took about a week and a half and sent us the money no problems... They tried to say they was sorry when all I wanted to do was thank them... I've been through a car insurance claim that took months so needless to say I would absolutely recommend Homesite to other people. My adjuster's name was James **. Very nice person. Thank you so much and for making my experience hassle free.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Won't return deposit - I ordered a policy and then canceled it right away because of the answer to a question I forgot to ask. I asked for my money to be returned and here it is over a week later and they still want to hold my money for more than 10 days. I spoke with a supervisor named John and he told me he would tell billing to reverse the charges on the payment and I would have a refund in 2 days. Now I hear from a supervisor named Ryan that billing won't refund my money before the 10 days because it was not their "error." This is a very nasty policy. It doesn't make a difference whose "error" it is. They should just refund the money. I canceled and they just want to hold the money. I want my money back now not in another week or whenever they want.

Original review: July 1, 2017

On 7.29.2016 our area and surrounding rural areas experienced a massive hailstorm which damaged our RV and our home. We filed a claim through Geico since we had bundled vehicles and home. Geico responded swiftly and courteously. They totaled our RV and payment was received within a couple of weeks. However, our problem came when we filed a homeowner claim through Homesite for the hail damage to our roof and siding. Initially, the woman in customer service informed us that our deductible was $5000 and then proceeded to ask if we wanted to continue with our claim? We responded by stating, absolutely! Within a few weeks, an adjuster inspected our home and gave an estimate of over $17,000. Homesite soon responded via letter, they would deduct $5000. They would send the first check of $10,000 for roof and other repairs. They also stated when repairs were complete, they would send the remaining $2000.

Since the damage to our home and extended areas in our town were so extensive, we were put on a waiting list to have our roof repaired once we accepted a bid we liked. We were trying to save money by going with the lowest bid as well as a reputable company who we have done business with in the past. Approximately 6 months later the roofing company was ready to repair our roof. In the meantime, my spouse and I repaired and painted the entire exterior of home ourselves in order to save money.

Once all repairs were complete, we contacted Homesite on 4.16.17 only for them to say they closed our claim in which we were NEVER notified. We explained we were on a waiting list (it was out of our control) through the roofing company and the woman replied she would have to speak with her supervisor. All correspondence was done via email. Several days had gone by without contact from Homesite. We contacted them again and was informed our case was given to a "specialist" Stephanie **. She told us her supervisor had refused to reopen our claim.

Several more days went by when she said, our first email didn't come until after she wrote us to inform us that our Claim was closed. She informed us our case had been reopened, she received original receipts and original documentation. Furthermore, in yet another email, she asked that she be called to discuss "recoverable depreciation." Through this conversation, she was explaining how recoverable depreciation worked and what she thought we should be paid for scraping, painting and caulking our home plus what we paid for the exterior paint and supplies.

Homesite originally withheld about $7200 for recoverable depreciation so we are confused as to why they are applying it again??? HOMESITE has terrible customer service and they are a fraudulent company. As of July 1, 2017, we are still fighting with Homesite, and have decided to contact the Wyoming Insurance Commission, the FTC, the BBB and the Wyoming Attorney Generals office. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH HOMESITE.

Original review: June 27, 2017

My home was burglarized and Homesite was nothing short of terrible. I have been through this experience before and they made it so much more painful than it needed to be and didn't give me the money I was owed. They are intentionally deceptive, completely lacking empathy during a difficult time, and clearly out to make a buck and nothing more. They record all conversations and then refuse to play the recordings back to their customers if they feel there is information that is damaging to them on the call and blame their legal department for not being able to play the recording. Their documentation is intentionally confusing and any ask for clarification is even more incomprehensible. They assume that we all know how to speak insurance jargon. They accused me of lying and then reminded me that I was being recorded. Just run away.

Homesite Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Homesite is a company that is solely focused on providing people insurance for their residences. Homesite is one of the newer homeowners insurance companies around, founded in 1997, and the company operates out of its headquarters in Boston, MA.

• Variety of discounts: Homesite offers a bounty of discounts for their products, making them an affordable choice. These discounts include a moving-in discount, a bundle discount for auto and home insurance, a safety precautions discount and a new home discount.

• Highly specialized: Homesite only sells insurance for residences. Thus, they are experts on renter’s insurance, condo insurance, traditional homeowners insurance, and more.

• Excellent customer service: Customer service representatives at Homesite are available to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• History: Homesite Insurance is a younger than many of the bigger insurance companies and has yet to prove its reputation or legacy.

• Options: While Homesite offers homeowners insurance for typical dwellings, it does not offer policies for more unique homes such as farms or mobile homes.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners