Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.60/5

Homesite works with its own customers and those referred from other companies, including Progressive. Homesite’s base plan is a good choice for homeowners seeking affordable coverage. Optional add-ons round out coverage for those needing more. Homesite has a strong financial strength rating from AM Best.

BOTTOM LINE

Homesite’s low premiums are a definite highlight. The most basic coverage could be better, but it serves some customers well, and the company's add-ons boost coverage.

PROS

• Financially secure
  • Helpful customer service
  • Affordable options

CONS

• Base coverage lacking

Top Homesite Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Claims - This was so efficiently handled by Amanda. ... I was amazed. This was the time when all the hurricanes hit. ... yet in her calm, intelligent and good humored way she was terrific. If I could give six stars I would. ... thanks.

I had a small electrical fire in my basement which created more damage than I would’ve expected. I called Homesite immediately after the firefighters had left, and the rep’s first question was if my family and I were all ok. Very nice touch during a stressful time. ... I’m very happy with Homesite.

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

What is Homesite Insurance?

Homesite Insurance sells home insurance policies to customers across the United States. Homeowners who purchase a home insurance plan through Homesite are covered in case of specific damages to possessions or a home’s physical structure. Homesite’s insurance tends to cost less than other companies’ policies, but the base plan doesn’t include as much coverage.

Homesite homeowners insurance cost

Most Homesite homeowners insurance plans range from $900 to $1,900 a year. Quotes differ based on the value of the policy, the location of the covered home and the amount of coverage.

Homesite's homeowners insurance is generally cheaper than its competitors’ policies. This makes it a good choice for those looking to protect their home without breaking the bank.

Homesite insurance premium examples

Policy valueAnnual premium
$75,000$900
$150,000$975
$200,000$1,150
$350,000$1,900

What does Homesite homeowners insurance cover?

One option with Homesite is to purchase the base package. This attracts customers who are obligated to have homeowners insurance and want an affordable option. The basic homeowners policy from Homesite covers:

• Dwelling coverage: This covers damage to the physical structure of a home from covered events, including windstorms or hail.
  • Personal property coverage: This covers your belongings inside and outside your home, including appliances, furniture, clothing and electronics. If they are damaged, destroyed or stolen, Homesite covers them.
  • Loss of use coverage: If your home must undergo repairs and it becomes uninhabitable, this coverage pays for hotel rooms, restaurant meals and alternative transportation.
  • Personal liability coverage: If someone injured on your property files a lawsuit against you, this covers legal fees.
  • Medical payments for guests: If a guest is injured on the property, this coverage pays for medical bills.

Homesite has optional add-ons, also known as policy riders or endorsements. Add-ons increase the price of premiums, but they also increase your coverage.

• Identity theft: If your identity is stolen, this coverage pays for relevant legal fees.
  • Valuables: Additional coverage exists for high-worth valuables, such as expensive jewelry and art.
  • Personal injury protection: This pays for legal fees associated with invasion of privacy, libel and slander.
  • Service line breakdown coverage: This coverage is often necessary for customers who own a service line.
  • Sump pump overflow coverage: Homesite covers repairs needed after a sump pump overflows.

Homesite homeowners insurance discounts

Homesite offers discounts that lower premiums, including:

• Home alarm discount: Homes with a smoke or fire detector or a home security system qualify for a reduction in premiums.
  • Age-related discount: Customers who are older than 55 and living on a fixed income pay less for policies.
  • Home age discount: Newer homes are eligible for a discount.
  • Bundled insurance: Bundle auto and home insurance with Homesite for reduced premiums.

Homesite homeowners insurance FAQ

Is Homesite Insurance part of Geico?
No, but GEICO and several companies offer homeowners insurance through Homesite.
Does Homesite offer other insurance options?
Yes, Homesite sells home, condo, renters, auto, life, commercial and flood insurance. Customers with more than one insurance plan from Homesite bundle them for a discount.
How do I file a claim with Homesite?
To file a claim, call Homesite directly or fill out its online claim form.
Does Homesite choose the contractor for repairs?
No, customers choose the contractor, although Homesite sometimes makes recommendations.

Is Homesite Insurance good?

Overall, Homesite is a good choice for homeowners insurance. Its base plan is affordable, though it lacks some basic coverage that most other home insurance companies include. Customers unhappy with this can enroll in the necessary add-ons. Although reviews vary, many note that customer service is friendly and helpful.

Homesite Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Homesite Insurance's claims team aggressively denies claims. I have to be sued for the damages first, in order to consequently sue Homesite, to receive my claim amount. Do Not Buy Homesite Insurance coverage.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

We had a small flood in our half finished basement 6 months ago. Carpet, baseboards, drywall and a lot of personal items were damaged or destroyed. It was a sewer backup so everything was a total loss. We have full replacement value policy. My husband is detail oriented and loves spreadsheets. He kept meticulous track of receipts compared to the loss spreadsheet provided by our insurance adjuster. When we replaced items my husband would email the receipts with their line item information they had provided. My husband basically did all the work for the adjuster. Yet, every time it would take a month or more to get a payment and it would never be for the correct amount. They also would only pay us full replacement value AFTER we replaced everything in an item category. We pay full replacement value, why not just cut a check for the estimated full replacement costs right away?

Luckily we could afford the be reimbursed after the fact. We estimated $10,000 when the flood happened and offered to take that. If they would have just paid us then they would have saved themselves a lot of time and money. So far because my husband is meticulous and patient they have paid out $13,500 and we still have about $2,000 left to buy. Then it hailed 2 weeks ago, normally we would have let it go but we called and had our roof inspected. If you are an insurance company and try to rip off my family you will regret it. We will be filing complaints to MN consumer complaint board as well as the BBB once everything is done, don't want to be dropped before we get paid. Do NOT use this company, they will rip you off and slow walk your claim.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

I am filing a complaint on Homesite Insurance deceptive practices. I just filed a claim on my pool. The adjuster was not knowledgeable, or was deliberately telling me false information pertaining to my claim. First, I complained about my pool leaking, he stated that cracks were not covered, which was NOT what I stated. I told him the pool foundation could have shifted because of the lack of water. He stated “well if the ground/earth shifted, then that’s not covered.” I never said that the ground shifted. After the misuse of my statements, misconstruing my information, he stated that he will go ahead and close the claim. I said “why would you close a claim and you never came to see the damage?” He stated that he is not a licensed pool engineer. I told him to not close the claim unless you get someone authorized to inspect the damage. He told me to get a quote myself, and if he don’t see it within 10 days, then he will close the claim. I HAD NO CHANCE.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I’m getting discouraged. I haven’t received any response to my questions since July 21st. My problem started since the beginning of July and I believe if my questions are answered I will be able to move forward and continue with this plan. Renewal date is on August 11 and I’m skeptical to even renew. Can someone help? I’ve already called for a supervisor twice and no answer.

Original review: July 31, 2020

On April 14 2020 we had a very bad wind storm where it knocked my siding loose on my house. I contacted the insurance company to inform them that my siding is flapping and they are coming off the walls. An estimator came, walked around the house and went on the roof. Checked the roof and went to my yard where I keep my garden equipment. Went on the roof, inspected it and went on his way. After one week I was told the the damage was on at $2000 and it won't be covered by them since my deductible is 2% so they are not paying anything. I hired a contractor to check the siding. I was given a $40,000.00 estimate. I took that estimate and forwarded to the insurance company. A week later the adjuster was replaced with a new adjuster.

The new adjuster called me the first time to introduce himself. After that I didn't hear anything for three weeks then I was given so many stories that they are waiting on the contractor to send them pictures and reports. In the meantime we been having rain like there is no tomorrow and I'm having water come in to my house. After three month of the run around they send in the second person to place a tarp on my walls on the outside on my house and the new guy seen that the first person didn't place the tarp the right way so there was water coming in the house.

After 6 month of going back and forth I received a letter that they are going to pay only $1800 to fix my house so my question to all why do I have to pay the insurance company if I have to pay for everything? It's a ripoff. This company is a scam and that don't know jack. Word of advice if you're looking for an insurance company to cover your home like the lending company want find some one else. This company would rob you and walk away if something goes wrong. They are in business to take your money and leave you hanging to dry.

Original review: July 16, 2020

Expect my entire roof to be replaced in less than a week or policy will be cancelled. (Roof was fully replaced less than 10 years ago.) Underwriter Karen takes forever to get back to me. Therefore I have to scramble to find a roofer and mean time none of my questions can be answered only an email threatening to cancel. Even if a professional roofer who will actually get on the roof and disprove Homesite's diagnosis that they themselves gave without even getting on the roof, they insisted a roof must be installed in 6 days!! Be careful with this company if you are trying to switch providers to bundle your car and home. They underwrite for Geico.

Original review: July 12, 2020

Homesite has horrible hail and wind damage coverage which I just realized when I had to file a claim this year. First, they raised my deductible from $1k to $2500 at the beginning of the year and then I learned, after filing a claim, that any damage done to any part of the house that does not result in total "destruction beyond its intended use", it's not covered. Hail damage to my gutters, downspouts and aluminum wrapping around doors and windows - NOT covered because rain can still flow into the gutters and all the dings on everything - too bad because it's still serving its intended purpose. WHAT?

The reason for buying insurance is to cover losses one might incur. I incurred lots of damage and loss of value to my newly installed gutters, downspouts, door and window wrappings and they're telling me - Oh well? I don't buy car insurance, get in a wreck and have my auto insurance agent tell me "Can you still drive it?" Well then, it's still serving its intended purpose so we're not covering it. Window cracked? Can you still see out of it? Well, then it's still serving its intended purpose. Take heed - these guys are crooks and have written their policies in such a way as to really stick it to the homeowner. There's a reason their pricing falls below their competitors - they don't cover the things most others do.

Original review: July 10, 2020

I submitted a claim after a pipe under my garage separated. The first time I spoke with my assigned adjuster (and in the first 5 minutes of conversation) she was pushing to obtain the name and number of the plumber who did the work in my house. When I couldn't provide it she wanted the name and number of the builder. It was frustrating to see how little they cared about me and my family and were only concerned with how they could recover their expenses. The adjuster was constantly unavailable, didn't return calls or reply to emails, and didn't follow up with me when something was needed. Homesite denied the garage portion of my claim based on "earth movement".

I submitted a request to re-open the claim which explained that there were no signs of "earth movement" anywhere in the house and a letter from a licensed plumber, who has been in the business for over 25 years, stating that he was 100% positive earth movement was not the cause. He was fairly certain the pipe had been hit by/with something heavy, as was a licensed contractor I spoke with. Homesite refused to re-open and review the claim. The second portion of the claim was for damage in the unfinished basement. The overflow valve in the basement sprayed urine/fecal matter on the walls, floor, and water tanks and seeped into the sump pump hole (and through the pump). I was astounded when Homesite denied that portion of the claim stating that there was no "damage". I couldn't believe that anyone in their right mind would think it's acceptable to live with fecal matter on the walls and floor!

At this point I called a lawyer and had to pay a $2,000 retainer. The lawyer submitted another request to re-open the claim stating the EXACT same things I had in my request. He added information regarding the denial for the basement, which hadn't yet been denied when I submitted mine. Within 24 hours of receiving the lawyers request the claim had been re-opened, approved, and paid. It is truly appalling when an organization does not act in good faith. Had they honestly believed the claim should not have been covered we would have entered into a legal battle. Further, if I had not had enough for the lawyer's retainer the claim would have remained closed. It should have NEVER required legal intervention to force Homesite to comply with the terms of their own insurance policy!

Original review: June 30, 2020

Got water in my house from a dam failure, and Homesite refused to pay one dime on my policy, including the sewer backup, which I had specific coverage for. Policy is full of loosely worded exclusions, and they pulled every exclusion that they could find to deny payment. Every neighbor in the area got paid out on their sewer backup coverage except us. On top of that, the adjustors were completely uncaring about the disaster that we were facing, and once we argued the denial, got downright MEAN. Stay far away - the discount you may be getting on rates is NOT worth it. I wish I could give them 0 stars!

Original review: June 18, 2020

Had a massive hail storm in our area (classified as a catastrophic hail damage area). Also found our hail damage to be all "cosmetic" (very vague term) and is not covered under my policy. The "adjuster" they sent out was just contracted to take photos and he couldn't tell me who he worked for or tell me anything about the photos or damages he was seeing. Should have been a "red flag" right away. Had my own contractor trying to fight it and still wouldn't cover the hail damage, even though my neighbors with the same hail damage, they were all getting it covered by their insurances. Didn't want to send out someone to look over damages with my contractor. Then started saying it's new damages from the photos he has (so did that adjuster that they sent out even take photos of the damage?)

Said I need to file a new claim even though it's the same damages as before. Raised my rate by almost $200 without a good explanation on why it was raised that much and said they could get my back to my old rate still. Claim adjuster didn't even care he was about to lose a customer and wouldn't let me contact his manager. Awful customer service. Also I never got a denial letter for my claim. Definitely going elsewhere.

Homesite Insurance Company Information