1.24/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

325 Homesite Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I signed up for a new homeowner’s plan with Homesite Insurance, but changed my mind 12 hours later. The review are not good and my only verification of new plan was an email that said it take 5-6 weeks to receive the policy? I was told on the phone that they would also do an inspection in 6-8 weeks. The reviews said at this time they could double the cost of the policy? I just called to cancel, they would not give a confirmation number, and said they only do business by regular mail. The also said a return on the down payment would not happen for 30 days.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

My experience with Homesite has been incredibly frustrating. I am trying to get water damage from a roof leak fixed and mold that grew from the water damage abated. I have had 4 separate adjusters and have been out of my home for almost 4 weeks due to a severe mold allergy. Only one of those 4 adjusters has been easy to get a hold of and offered helpful information. The communication between adjusters has been terrible, and I have no idea why our claim keeps getting handed off to someone else in the first place. We have received a check for repairs, but it does not cover the necessary mold/asbestos abatement that needs to be done. They won't let the company we hired do the work until they approve the budget for the abatement, but they can't seem to get the paperwork through and I can't get a hold of anyone. I do believe we will eventually get approved to do the abatement. Overall very disappointing and frustrating.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Unless you want to make a traumatic experience dragged out for 2 months and leave with no return, go to another company!! They will try everything in the book to not pay you for what you lost. I had a flood and lost basically everything... Please tell me why they sent a third party company to come PICK UP MY CLOTHES underwear and all! I had no clue that is what was going to happen.

No other company does this! Mind you this is 3 weeks after my flood. They did this to not pay what I asked for. Instead they just ran my items through a washer and gave it back ANOTHER 3 weeks later. And told me some of my stuff was worn down... DUUHHH these are my clothes that I wear... that I can't anymore! Do you think I've heard back from them yet?? No and not it's 2 months since the incident occurred and I haven't slept in a bed since. This has been a nightmare. Way to throw salt on a wound!! As soon as I write this I'm changing my policy to another company.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I had a renter's insurance underwritten by Homesite for six years without a claim. Unfortunately, recently someone broke into my backyard by tearing down the locked gate and stole my 49cc scooter. Homesite was very responsive in denying my claim and told me that I should have had motorcycle insurance and could they sell it to me now? I told them (six different people -- I got transferred around a lot) that it was a 49cc scooter, not a motorcycle. It's not registered, it doesn't require a motorcycle license, it has no plates.

I would understand if I had wrecked the scooter somewhere or if I'd had it stolen out and about somewhere -- but someone broke into my property and took it. Isn't that the classic renter's insurance scenario? Apparently not, as the Homesite adjuster and the other customer service folks refused to engage in the specifics of my situation and constantly circled back to the motorcycle insurance that they felt I should have had and could they sell it to me now? Apparently uninsured despite the years of premium payments, I felt like I had no other option but to cancel the policy and move on with my life. And to leave a note here.

Looking back on it as I'm writing this, what disappointed me the most about this situation was that Homesite staff conducted themselves in what I think is the insurance nightmare scenario: they were obtuse, bureaucratic, and interested only in denying the claim and then trying to sell me more insurance (against which I presumably wouldn't be able to make a claim, either). Sure, Homesite is bargain insurance, so what should I expect? But in going through this I was still surprised they weren't able or empowered to engage with my situation as it actually happened but instead just robotically went through a script of legalese about "means of conveyance" and then tried to upsell me.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

The title says it all. We went with Homesite to cover our home in 2015 because it was cheap. By 2018, Homesite Insurance increased our annual premium by 230%! Yes, you read that right, a 230% increase. The only reason they gave me was that our insurance score rating went from 4 to 16. This is a number insurance companies use to determine pricing for each of its customers. We have never filed a claim, there have been no changes to our strong credit history, we didn't change any of our coverage limits and our home did not suddenly spike up in value.

At our last renewal in 2017, we paid $2700/year for a $455,000 home policy. In 2018, Homesite increased the premium to $6200/year, a 230% rate increase! I called Homesite to find some rhyme or reason for this ill-mannered insult but they simply said they were unable to make and changes. We took our business to Farmers Insurance and purchased a home policy with the same coverage limits and a lower deductible for $2600/year, $3600 less than Homesite. Avoid Homesite Insurance!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have had insurance with them for over 10 years paying around $960 a year. I went up to $2560 a year, after the renewal date and the payment for $960 was made from my mortgage Lender. I find out at the next renewal I was canceled due to the full amount wasn't paid. They get called prior from mortgage company to get verification that it's active and bill amount. My mortgage company nor I knew I was canceled from 10 months or that I had an increase. The rate increase is in itself a ripoff. I currently have zero insurance and now have a record of being dropped. Also, I haven't ever had a claim.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I am a client of Homesite Insurance. Well actually, I was until my policy was cancelled without notification or letter of statement. I simply found out when I tried to log in to my account and contacted the customer service helpline. I elected to receive electronic communication and have still yet to receive anything directly from Homesite. Upon calling the Customer Service Help Line, I ask the representative to please email a copy of the Cancellation of Coverage in which he did.

I am beyond disappointed with my experience with your company as well as your staff. The unprofessionalism exhibited throughout speaks volumes of the leadership within the company as well as your standards of which operations should be performed. Your employees have exhibited the following: 1. Misrepresentation. 2. Dishonesty. 3. Lack of Credibility. 4. Non satisfactory Response Time. 5. Poor Business Practice. 6. Lack of Integrity and Morals. 7. Lack of Knowledge and Training to perform effectively and efficiently.

I have contacted and filed complaints with the North Carolina, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania Insurance Commissioners regarding the following business and individuals: -Homesite Insurance, -John **, adjuster, CJ- Supervisor of John **, Mark **, Field Adjuster, Edward **, Field Adjuster, Kimberly **. In addition, I have also contacted and filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureaus in Boston and Wilmington.

I have consulted with several different Insurance Adjusters as well as my attorney regarding my claim. Based upon the verbiage of the policy and the nature of my claim, my claim should be covered. There were several direct openings created in the building by Hurricane Florence. I was told by your Adjusters that because a tree did not fall on my house or my window was not busted out, the claim was denied.

When I initially contacted John via email, he tried to deny the claim prior to even sending an Adjuster out to assess. Which is ridiculous. Upon our conversation he stated that he felt the claim was definitely covered and would arrange for a Field Adjuster to come out. The Field Adjuster spent less than 15 minutes at my home. He presented the mentality of get in and get out. I understand time is of an essence, however, in order to correctly perform his job is he not suppose to assess all items filed in said claim? He had no interest in even viewing those items. It then took him a week and half to supply required documentation to John for review. Highly unprofessional.

Upon learning that my claim was denied I called and spoke to John in regards to this matter as it was clearly not acceptable. There are visible openings/holes in the building and on the roof as a direct result of the hurricane. John himself even stated that he felt the claim should be paid and that he would be upset as well, however, he really had no power at Homesite Insurance. In turn, I requested to speak to John's supervisor, CJ. At that time CJ was extremely condescending, arrogant and rude. He would not allow me to speak for speaking over me. Highly, highly, highly unprofessional. I requested that second adjuster be sent out, CJ complied and stated that he would get that scheduled. I was told that it would be a completely blind adjustment in which the adjuster would be assessing the claim as if it were brand new.

I was told that he would have zero knowledge of the original assessment from adjuster number 1. CJ failed to schedule a second adjuster to come out. I had to follow up with John regarding getting a second adjuster scheduled. I then had to follow up with John as I had not been contacted by adjuster number 2. When adjuster number 2 arrived, he did not assess the property, he told me that he had seen the pictures and read the report of previous adjuster and was there simply to see if there were any openings present. He agreed there were several openings present on the building but said that he did not 100% if they were caused by the hurricane. He was dismissive and basically had made his decision prior to even arriving. It was unethical for CJ and John to lie to me in regards to saying this would be a "blind proposal" as all information was disclosed to the adjuster.

I fully understand that profitability in a business is important but so are operating business practice with morals and ethics. These individuals are a direct representation of your company and you. John then contacted me to state the original denial would stand. Of course it would... The adjuster was allotted and provided all of the information prior to coming out. If there were not direct openings blatantly visible, there would be no issue. If the damage to my furniture, clothes, child's items etc was not directly caused by the Hurricane, I would not be pursuing this further.

I called yesterday and ask to speak to CJ's Supervisor and was told no one knew who CJ was. I find that interesting and totally unbelievable. I was then put on hold for 10 minutes, I then ask for that individual's supervisor, in which I was put on hold for another 5 minutes to be told she was unavailable. I ask to be transferred to her voicemail and the agent was reluctant to do so.

Finally I was transferred to a "Mary **" and left a voicemail at 3:35pm and have yet to receive a call back. In between 4:15/4:30 yesterday I called back and ask to speak to Jared **, Senior Supervisor of Customer Advocacy... to be told yet again... No one knew who he was. I was then put on hold for another 5 minutes, Monique came back and stated that I should speak to you, Kimberly **and that you were in your office. She stated that she sent you a message with a synopsis of what I needed but you did not respond. I ask to be transferred to your voicemail... She stated that she did not know your phone number or your extension... but could provide me with your email. Coincidence, I think not.

Either you have uneducated and highly untrained employees or your company culture is simply terrible. I am pretty certain it was just a diversion technique. No one knows anything, No one knows who anyone is... terrible business practice. You should really train your employees in conflict resolution and customer relationship management because they have none. Brief RECAP to phones that have yet to be returned: "Mary" **, John **, You, Kimberly **.

I spent over $35,000 last year and everything in my home was new. I have severe water damage from holes/openings that were created in the walls and on the roof. Clearly covered under the perils of the policy. All I am asking is for your company, Homesite Insurance, to do the right thing and pay my claim that you know should be covered. Claim ID: **. I have contacted your CEO, Fabian Fondriest and Jared ** directly as well. I will be sure to explain to them in detail the lack of integrity, professionalism, morals, ethics, misrepresentation and client concern that I have experienced. I will continue until this claim is rightfully paid as it should be. I greatly appreciate your prompt attention in this matter. Thanks so much!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

When I bought my home in May of 2008, I opened my homeowners policy with Homesite Insurance. For wind and hail, I signed up for Replacement Cost Value (RCV) coverage with a 2% deductible. Homesite claims to have mailed a letter some years ago in which it changed the wind and hail coverage to Actual Cash Value (ACV). I never received this mailing, so I was unaware of this change. They changed my coverage without my consent.

In 2017, I sustained roof damage and made a claim. Homesite responded that my roof is depreciated to the point where the actual cash value of the roof is less than my deductible; therefore, no payment will be made. I was completely confused by this as it was the first time I had ever heard of an ACV policy. I could not afford to replace a roof with 100% of the cost burden, so I have been saving money. Further damage occurred in 2018. I submitted a new claim because this damage was more than just roof damage. Of course, they gave me the same story.

I started doing some research and found that ACV policies were not even in existence at the time I bought my home, which lead me to interrogate Homesite how it was possible that I had such a policy. This is how I found out about the mysterious mailing. Recent rain has caused interior damage to my home and with some help, I am paying for a new roof completely out of pocket. I NEVER CONSENTED to the change in wind/hail coverage, and it was done without my knowledge. Homesite has collected my premium payments for more than 10 years, and has paid $0 when it comes to claims. Homesite is completely unethical and operates solely to take advantage of homeowners.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I moved all my insurance from Farmers to Geico when I found Farmers pricing was no longer competitive. Got a great quote from Geico for car and home of equivalent coverage I had with Farmers for hundreds less. Original homeowner policy covered the roof with a $1000 deductible and full replacement cost. Somewhere along the 10 years of yearly renewals, I had with Geico/Homesite the policy went to a $6000 deductible and depreciated cost coverage only (non-recoverable). Mind you this happened with little notice from Homesite (just the typical, "Please review your policy before renewing"). Now that I've made a claim to replace my hail damaged roof I find I'm paying 2/3rds of the cost. I'll never use Homesite again and will advise anyone who asks to avoid them.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Due to hail damage I filed a claim in May 2018, is it now August, and we have been disputing the cost of metal roofing for months. I have obtained three quotes, all of which are twice as much as the amount being granted to complete this portion of the project. I have requested to speak with a Manager via phone and email, and have not had my call or email returned. I am unable to find anyone in my area willing to replace the metal roofing portion of the claim for the amount provided by the insurance company. I am incredibly disappointed and do not feel as though Progressive Insurance, who has hired Homesite Insurance company to underwrite their homeowners' policies. Additionally, I am beyond upset with Homesite Insurance for allowing this type of customer service. I pay my premiums, and deserve to have my home repaired. I hope others choose wisely before obtaining insurance through Progressive.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I have been trying to file a claim since the end of July. Homesite is just the underwriter for National General Ins in my case. It took a week and a half for them to tell me that I was not insured with them. 25 calls later and almost a month into this Nat'l Disaster and I still cannot get not one person to let me know if I'm covered or what to do. None of the lead managers will return my call, I've been told five different things concerning the policy. I am filing a COMPLAINT with the Ca Ins Commissioner tomorrow and taking my blank limits policy to him to review. I have had to evacuate my home and animals and am a senior on disability, I have many losses and needs and their policy is to assign a 1 adjuster.

Until that person reaches out to you no one is allowed to discuss the policy, therefore you can just do without all essential needs. It's been almost a month. I have an appt to see an attorney on 8/17/18 to take over this case. Worst run company I've ever dealt with. STAY AWAY FROM THIS INSURANCE COMPANY, unless you want to throw your money away and they don't save you any on their policies at all, They are liars and thieves in my opinion and I wanted to shout it out. Ruthless thieves with no organization within their company structure at all.

I'm in a national disaster called a tornado fire that has consumed close to or over 200,000 acres to date and it is only 44 percent contained. They aren't going to help until they're good and ready and they have NO Management. They couldn't even find my policy number because they sold a bunch of policies to an underwriter to service for them but they said it was so long ago that now they don't even have those serviced policies information ar policy numbers. That's nice, huh? Rip off CROOKS. BUYER BEWARE... BEWARE.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

We had our first and only claim with Homesite a couple of months ago. We had a toilet break in the middle of the night. It flooded half of our home. I called immediately when we became aware of the issue that morning. I explained the situation and explained it was an emergency. It took them more than FOUR DAYS to assign an adjuster and to get someone out to help us. After four days, our carpet was completely ruined and we had been forced to walk through puddles the entire time. They do not respond in any kind of an expedient way and they do not care about their customers in any way... only about your premium. We paid by the year, but are currently looking for a better home insurance company. NEVER USE THIS COMPANY. YOU WILL BE SORRY.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Had homeowners insurance from Homesite for the last 3 years. Upon renewal in the 4th year they increased by premium by 250%! Yes, 250%! Annual premium went from $2472 to $6127. I never filed a claim and credit score did not change. I called Homesite and they told me that my insurance favorability score (a gauge from 1 to 19 that insurance companies use to rate customers) went from 4 to 16 and that caused my annual premium to jump 250%. Goodbye Homesite. I'll do my best to inform everyone I know to steer clear of you!!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Agent refused to provide a written or emailed copy of the policy after being asked multiple times. Said he had all the information and that I should trust him like Progressive Insurance trusts their company.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

We have been customers for 10 years. We filed a claim back in 2015 for our roof. Our adjuster told us only half would be repaired because the other half wasn't as damaged. We received a check but I let adjuster know we would not pay our deductible twice. I would wait and have the whole roof repaired. Fast forward to this week another roofing company came out and helped file another claim. The roof was way worse now. Homesite has denied claims saying they approved the whole roof back in 2015. NOT ONE PERSON let us know this by letter, or email back then, I would have never waited!! I have begged them to reconsider our claim or at least resend check so we can get it fixed. They have denied it.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I had a wind damage claim for my roof. I had $2500 deductible but damage was little more than this amount. Most of the shingles cracked and few of them are blown away. Few places were leaking and drywall were damaged. I claimed and someone came to my home requested me to start fixing the shingles. The horrible scenario after replacing the shingles from my pocket, they made the statement $100 less than my deductible which is $2400. Claim never help in the Court and they have very strong lawyer to handle the situation in their way. I had my property insured with Homesite approximately 8 yrs and with Geico 14 yrs. Just wasted money with a nonsense company.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I am not in the custom of writing reviews... but since you are reading, I assume you want to know the truth. Frankly, the rates offered in the bundles with Geico etc, are GREAT as long as you NEVER make a claim (or a change). When we chose to bundle, we were thrilled with the savings! HOWEVER, if you do make a claim (or a change), one of two things WILL happen: 1) your rates will significantly increase so Homesite can recover the money covered by your claim PLUS an additional $ increase to cover the added risk of a future claim; or 2) you will be canceled for some concocted reason. I have been stung by the "concocted reason", but I went in knowing this so "shame on me".

Here is our story... No judgements, but we haven't made insurance claims for damages. We would rather pay for those costs ourselves, than involve an insurance company and the inevitable rate hikes. But, my husband and I are planning to semi-retire and are in the process of purchasing a new house at the beach, a short drive away. As we are still in our working years, we plan to continue to work part-time at our current employment. We contacted Homesite to notify them that we would be changing our primary residency to our new house (4 nights per week) but that we will still occupy our current house, insured by them, as our secondary residence (3 nights per week).

A Homesite rep informed us that our rates would increase and any non-attached structures would no longer be covered... okay... fine... no problem. Two weeks later we received a Notification of Cancellation in the mail noted as the reason "Due to a substantial change in risk, property is no longer owner occupied." What? Homesite, did you just cross into the Twilight Zone?

Original review: July 29, 2018

My house's basement got water leak because neighbor's water meter got broken last month, and carpet was getting wet and moldy. I called the customer service what I should do in this case. The rep said they can't answer my question unless I file a claim, and said I may withdraw the claim anytime, then I submitted a claim. A lady named Yovana called me one day after I filed the claim. I asked same question, she said she only process the claim doesnt know answer for my question. She was very rude. I asked to talk her manager, her manager called me one day later, his attitude was nice, but he doesnt seem to understand my question. No help either.

Turned out I withdrawn my claim since we didnt want to pay $1000 deductible and could deal with my neighbor and WSSC according my research, however about one week later, I received a mail states that my insurance policy will be terminated on Sept. WTF! It was because Geico I had choiced Homesite. I would give Geico five stars due to its excellent customer services and staff professional knowledge. HomeSite only can get one star or zero. I dont know why Geico has to choice HomeSite as its partner.

Original review: July 27, 2018

We moved into our new home 1 month ago and thought we were doing the right thing by bundling our Progressive car insurance and homeowners insurance. Well, I wish I read the reviews before attempting to get insurance through Homesite... this was our experience and I sincerely hope that this doesn't happen to anyone else. An inspector apparently came to our home to assess the property, normal! The only thing the inspector found was that trees were touching the roof of our detached shed and that is the ONLY thing he listed in his report. Mind you, the shed is next to the (literal) mountain that our backyard butts up against. No biggie, right?

Well, the Homesite underwriter had another opinion, they decided... from the blurry... pixely photos that the inspector took of my roof that the roof is buckling and/or coming apart and needs a full replacement. Our roof is only 15 years old and we had a certified roofer come out to tell us prior to buying the home that our roof is in great shape and has more than 10 years life expectancy left in it. But because an underwriter saw a blurry photo, they decided to cancel our insurance, lose our business and not to mention put us through this while I am 9 months pregnant and thought I was doing the right thing by choosing them.

STAY AWAY FROM HOMESITE!! I do not see this company being in business for much longer and to be honest, they didn't even give us the best rate possible, we only chose them to bundle our car insurance not to mention we also used their pet insurance. At this point, everything has been cancelled and they completely lost my business and all 10 years I was with them.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I had a home robbery and Homesite Insurance is trying to claim it wasn't justification for my claim. Put some kind of BS limits on my $30,000 claim and only paid out $3K. The process started in November of 2017 and ran until this month (June 2018) and still unresolved. I am going to have to hire an expensive attorney to pursue this matter.

Original review: July 9, 2018

If I could just give a “0 star” rating, I would prefer this. I made the big mistake in switching to Homesite, bundled with my Progressive Car Insurance from Geico/Liberty Mutual back in February 2018. It was sadly right after making the switch. There were major wind and rain storms in Maryland, starting in March 2018 and the following months until now, of course... Fortunately, I have a general contractor locally that was able to replace the blown off shingles and button up the siding that had come down during these storms to assure it didn't get any worse. Homesite hired a company to tarp my roof up in the problem areas because they did eventually leak in a newer construction part of the house.

The next step was to have an outside adjuster come to my home and inspect all the damage. It was told to me that I was going to need all new siding/insulation and a new roof (25 year shingles/tar paper) with this claim. He did bring up that Homesite had my roof recorded to be 25 years old which didn't make sense because I only purchased this home a little over three years ago and the home inspector noted my roof being 10 years old, putting it at 13 years old. I did feel relief from this adjuster during that time and he seemed reassuring that I would only have to pay my $1,000 deductible only and I should be able to get the inside adjuster to change the age of the roof without an issue. I was sadly mistaken when I spoke with Wayne ** of Homesite.

Wayne ** stated that they recorded the age of the roof to be at 25 years old when I signed up and it was never discussed when I signed up, nor was it mentioned in my contract. This apparently was public information of my county and it was told to me that the roof couldn’t exceed 10 years of age in order to repair at their cost. I told Wayne that I have inspection paperwork from when I bought the house stating the roof was 10 years old 3 years ago and he wouldn’t accept this. He then told me I would have to submit the following instead: "1. A roof permit issued by your local building department, or 2. An invoice for the work completed, color photos of the roof, and a statement signed by you confirming the date of installation, or 3. A certification from a licensed contractor with the estimated age of the roof, color photos of the roof, and a statement signed by you confirming the age of the roof."

I wasn’t too keen on the idea of having my general contractor come back and get on my roof again for no reason after the shingle repairs were done in March, so I asked about the inspection again and was denied. Instead I was approved for the siding and was forced to move $4,262.12 from their account to my savings account digitally to have the siding done and was told I needed to come up with the other $5,600 that they quoted to the damage instead of paying my deductible only. This is my first home and first claim as well and I was feeling ignored when I emailed Homesite 3x and no response. I also called Wayne’s voicemail and didn’t receive a phone call back and another time the voicemail was full. There wasn’t strong enough communication on this whole thing from the beginning, so I decided to take this to the next step and try working with a manager. Now I’m working with Jennifer **, who is a manager in Homesite.

Jennifer has been a little more informative than Wayne, so far and I thought we were finally breaking ground by her allowing to review my home inspection from when I purchased my home. Her and I discussed what I had done in the meantime of the damage happening and how I’ve been trying to be pragmatic about it. Jennifer evaluated my inspection and said that she’s unable to change the roof age in my policy because it’s at 13 years old, exceeding 10 years. I don’t think my file was even updated to reflect the 13 years which is half of the original 25 years. Though it doesn’t look like this has sadly gotten me anywhere either.

She advised me to contact Baltimore County Housing and to see if there was a roof permit I could provide, besides 25 years of age. She also advised to check with my mortgage company to see if I could refinance my home and use the equity in my house to roll the new roof into the equation. I asked about the certified letterhead that Wayne suggested as my original inside adjuster and if I could get the estimated age written out to submit. She said she’ll submit this to upper management and try again once I get a letter from a roofer.

Today (7/9/18), here we are over a month later since I’ve submitted this claim and I still have tarp on my roof and siding popping off my house. I have 4 companies lined up to provide estimates for the siding and the roof to submit to Homesite. Did as Jennifer recommended and contacted my mortgage company and will cross that bridge if I need to, also I contacted Baltimore County Housing. Baltimore Co. said that permits for roofs are only needed if the whole roof is being redone, including the wood. There’s no reason why there should have been a permit on my roof past this 25 years unless there was major damage, since then there was all new tar paper and shingles on the whole house construction due to their being an addition added to this home.

At this time, I’m awaiting a phone call back from Jennifer, hopefully with good news that I can get the go ahead on having all work completed with just my deductible. I’m still unable to find anything on my agreements and declarations page with Homesite on the original age the roof that they recorded of my being 25 years old and where I would be denied my claim for it being 10 years+ old. I could understand if the roof was 15+ years old, but 13… And that was an estimate when I had the home inspected 3 years ago. I’ll still submit the letterhead with a roofer, if need be. But being denied this claim seems to be a common issue with most customers of Homesite according to a ton of “1 star” reviews on Consumer Affairs, see link: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/insurance/homesite.html.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Although I have not had to submit a claim, I have no reservations. Coverage is better than average for price & adequately spelled out. No hidden bits or IRS. Customer service is immediately responsive & convenient.

Original review: June 19, 2018

In 2017 my insurance premium was $733.00. In 2018 my premium jumped 438% to $3,210.00. As I have never filed a claim, I asked why. I was told that they experienced massive losses in my area, keep in mind that I live in Arizona and my area has never experienced any type of natural disaster and Arizona has one of the lowest crime rates in the country and the particular area that I live is even lower than the statewide average. This company gouges consumers. DO NOT get pulled into their low introductory rate, they will gouge you later. SCAM COMPANY.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I was trying to bundle car and renter's insurance online and this Homesite (that I didn't even realize Progressive had redirected me to) thing told me I had bundled it (for a price that was reasonable), so I put my payment information in and THEN it tells me it's only renter's insurance, not bundled, and would I like to get some car insurance! So they charged me what I thought was car and renter's for just renter's for double what I already pay! So then I call Progressive and they can't find my policy until three hours later (of continuous calling) when they finally tell me, "Oh it's Homesite."

So then I call Homesite and every time I get sent to the correct department they mysteriously can't hear me. 3 times in a row. So then I get smart and call the claims department and she gives me the DIRECT number that no one else would. Finally I am talking to a real person in the right department. Who tells me it takes 15-20 days for my bank account to be reimbursed!!! They took $100 from me by lying and faking stuff and then they won't refund my money for nearly a month! I live on a limited income and can't afford this domino effect! They didn't care. At all. Nothing they can do they said.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Progressive offers homeowner's insurance through Homesite Insurance. Since they were giving me such a great deal on my auto policy, I decided to apply and was subsequently approved. I want to stress that I was honest in filling out their online form/questionnaire; I was upfront about the older roof, which is still in okay condition, and the state of the house in general. I also want to point out that I was happily insured with another company, and if Homesite and Progressive hadn't offered such competitive rates, I would still be with that other company.

Now, one month after applying and becoming insured with Homesite, they are cancelling my policy due to mostly cosmetic things and their belief that I need an entire roof replacement. Straight up cancelling! I wouldn't be so angry if they were giving me the opportunity to fix anything, but they aren't. I've already found a company willing to replace my roof (who, by the way, says it still has some time in it). This is an old house, and we've been working on it since we bought it. It's come a long way; we're definitely willing to put in the work. I could call Homesite and see if they would be willing to reinstate our policy, but they screwed up by not even giving us the chance to perform repairs. If they are only willing to insure new, perfect homes, maybe they should start inspecting properties BEFORE they take someone's money! Screw you, Homesite!

Original review: May 23, 2018

We bought a Homesite policy when we bought our house in 2007, the cost was $373. We had one claim that was useless after a hail storm. The damage was $800 and the deductible was $800 for gutters and a roof square. They wrote themselves a check and we paid out of pocket for repairs. Then dinged us for the claim. We were the only house within sight of our house to not get a new roof in 2007. In 2008, the policy premium increased to $856 due to the 2007 claim. In 2009 the policy increased to $1217 with no claims since 2007. In 2010, the policy premium increased again to $1693, with no claims with the rationale that people replaced roofs a lot in 2009. I find that hard to believe because they refused to replace our roof in 2007. In 2011, the premium increased to $2131 again with no claims.

A month or so later we filed a claim after some damage to the roof due to hail and ice. We had actually moved out of this house and had no idea we had to get a different kind of insurance to cover it. The worst part is I called and asked Homesite specifically if we needed to modify our homeowners policy when we moved. The woman we spoke to asked if lived in the house when I filed a claim. I said no and she immediately told me she was cancelling the claim and the policy and hung up on me. When I finally was allowed to talk to a manager, several days later she told me there was nothing she could do about the claim, but offered me two policy options. The first being to purchase a standard homeowners policy for $2800 a year and they would provide proof of insurance to our mortgage company, but there would be no coverage.

They wanted me to pay them to lie on paper to my mortgage company and I would have to bear the cost of anything that happened to the property. The second option was to buy vacant home coverage which was quoted to me at $6000 for the year. She highly recommended the first option saying the likelihood of something happening while I found other insurance options was pretty slim. $2800 was better than $6000. The first year is cheap, but premiums double every year even without claims. Progressive told me during their last upsell of their Home Advantage they stopped using Homesite. My experience was so bad with Homesite. I researched every company that uses them and avoid doing business with them. It is too bad Progressive still uses this company.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I have to question if this is even a legitimate flood insurance company. Jackeline ** has been main contact and has given me several different phone numbers, all of which are not for Homesite. I had questions about renewing my policy or making a payment. All phone numbers given have not been for Homesite Insurance. When I call her back she apologizes and says she gave me the wrong number and provides me with another incorrect number. So many incorrect phone numbers, I gave up!

They have no site or account for automatic payment deduction. Other online reviews average this company a 1 1/2 stars. Read reviews before making a decision and avoid this company. This company is part of Progressive Insurance, who initially referred me to Homesite for a renter's insurance flood policy. When I contacted Progressive today 5-15-18 to request flood insurance for renters, I was transferred once again to Homesite. When I told the woman who answered I didn't want to work with Homesite, she told me it was through the federal government. I told her, "No thanks, not using Homesite." and I hung up.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I bought a house, and when Homesite got around to inspecting it they decided I need to replace the roof on the house and the detached garage, repaint and repair some of the trim on the house and garage as well. By the time I got somebody to replace the roofs ($8000) and then somebody to repair and repaint the trim ($6000) as well as find $14k to pay for everything, they cancelled me. Yup.

As if that wasn't enough, during a storm a tree fell onto the detached garage, which had just been repaired. I filed a claim that same day. I called in the next day to provide additional detail, and I was told the original claim wasn't in the system. So, they filed a second claim. About 2 weeks later an adjuster finally called me after me hounding the company for a callback and finding a CSR willing to tell the adjuster's manager he was doing a ** job. He could barely answer any questions... ZERO knowledge. Since I wasn't sure of the extent of the damage and my deductible was high, he said he'd cancel the original claim and then I could refile when I knew how much damage I had.

That night a woman called and said that we needed to pursue the second claim as well, because my neighbor had car damage. She wanted to cut a check with ZERO proof. I sent her pictures and she ended up giving the man the max - $1000. She insisted the second claim needed to stay separate from the garage damage claim. I had some contractors come out and tell me it was easily $30k to replace the garage. It was totaled. So, I went ahead and filed a 3rd claim. After that, no work from these guys for about a week after being told I would hear from the "adjuster" in 24 hours.

A few more days of chasing people down and leaving messages with an attitude and finally I get a CSR who knew what the heck she was doing and she tells me that I should NOT have 3 claims. The first one needs to be reopened and the second combined with the first, while the 3rd one completely closed. Then I'm told an adjuster will be at my house within the week. The guy finally shows up to my house to take pictures. This is a different adjuster, who then sent his pictures to the first adjuster. I was told a week tops before hearing back anything. It's been about 2 more weeks. I started leaving more voicemails and sending emails. (BTW - you cannot directly email your adjuster... they all go to the same email address.)

Today I called and the CSR IM'd the adjuster who then suddenly had time to talk to me. The CSR said he was pulling the information together and it would be few minutes. I waited. When the ** got the phone he says "What can I do for you?" I told him I needed a claim update. He said he'd have his review done by the end of the day and a check requested within 24 hours. Sound familiar? He said he hadn't looked at the onsite adjuster's information yet, and he couldn't give me any detail on how much, etc. I told him that if needed I have a contractor on paper saying it will take more than my policy will cover to replace. He told me he'd just sent a check and I could take it up later. Right. I'm sure it will be a priority.

So, they cancelled my insurance, remember? And there are still 2 open claims on my account. So, my current quotes are nearly $300 higher per year. I asked why there were 2 open still and he said he didn't know and it was the first he's hearing of it. He said they'd look into it. Right. Another priority? Bottom line - DO NOT USE THEM. Ever. Never, ever use them. They are the only company offered through Progressive and Geico that will service my area, but I'm DONE with online shopping for this insurance. DONE. Terrible, horrible, ** experience.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I was given Homesite through Progressive! Shame on you Progressive for sending your customers to this shady company! First when I signed up I was grossly mislead into thinking I had basically the same coverage I had through USAA but come to find out the contents of my refrigerator are not covered! And they say my electronics and computer equipment have a deductible but looking at what I can see of the policy this stuff is supposed to be under a special endorsement, what happened? I went on a long trip. I was gone 5-6 days. When I got home the main breaker was tripped in my trailer. When I turned it back on several expensive computer items were damaged from either a surge or lightning strike!

The person assigned to my claim fought with me tooth and nail and said there’s a deductible for the computer equipment. This is what the policy says I’m covered for “Replacement Cost on Personal Property. “Protected”. When you purchase this endorsement, you can replace stolen or destroyed personal property with items of like kind and quality without deduction for depreciation.”

I’m supposed have this I paid for it! He was very rude and told me to prove I had a 0 deductible for this! But as of yet he refused to honor it! Now they ask for my landlord's contact information? They say this is to verify the loss? How can this verify a surge inside my dwelling? The landlord has no right to enter my property for this matter. He had nothing to do with the weather and the weather did no damage to his property! This is just a ploy to find a way to deny the claim! I also had to pay someone almost $200 to get a diagnostic of the damage. This came out of my pocket. They say it’s covered and they will pay me for this expense! But so far I have done nothing but spend money and got nothing back for my premium I paid a full year for!

Once this is over I’m gone. Going back to USAA! I only left USAA because of a divorce. What a mistake! I will also be taking my auto policy back to USAA! Do not do business with Homesite or Progressive! Unless it’s through USAA! USAA has a deal with Progressive for RV and other coverage and will not let Progressive screw their members over! But if you deal with them directly forget it. You're wasting your money. Go somewhere else!

Original review: March 14, 2018

I rent an apartment with mandatory insurance, I chose the Progressive/Homesite Insurance, because my car insurance is there. One night when I was at work, an apartment upstairs was broke pipe and my apartment was flooded. January, everything is flooded in the apartment and I had a shock. I called to the insurance Property Claims Adjuster Mr. Michael **. He very friendly helped to find temporary housing and cover the costs after the flood. I express my gratitude to Mr. Michael ** and Progressive/Homesite Insurance for their help.

Homesite Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Homesite is a company that is solely focused on providing people insurance for their residences. Homesite is one of the newer homeowners insurance companies around, founded in 1997, and the company operates out of its headquarters in Boston, MA.

• Variety of discounts: Homesite offers a bounty of discounts for their products, making them an affordable choice. These discounts include a moving-in discount, a bundle discount for auto and home insurance, a safety precautions discount and a new home discount.

• Highly specialized: Homesite only sells insurance for residences. Thus, they are experts on renter’s insurance, condo insurance, traditional homeowners insurance, and more.

• Excellent customer service: Customer service representatives at Homesite are available to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• History: Homesite Insurance is a younger than many of the bigger insurance companies and has yet to prove its reputation or legacy.

• Options: While Homesite offers homeowners insurance for typical dwellings, it does not offer policies for more unique homes such as farms or mobile homes.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners