3.8/5 (623 ratings)

About Homesite Insurance

Homesite works with its own customers and those referred from other companies, including Progressive. Homesite’s base plan is a good choice for homeowners seeking affordable coverage. Optional add-ons round out coverage for those needing more. Homesite has a strong financial strength rating from AM Best.

Pros

• Financially secure
  • Helpful customer service
  • Affordable options

Cons

• Base coverage lacking

Bottom Line

Homesite’s low premiums are a definite highlight. The most basic coverage could be better, but it serves some customers well, and the company's add-ons boost coverage.

Top Homesite Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Verified

Claims - This was so efficiently handled by Amanda. ... I was amazed. This was the time when all the hurricanes hit. ... yet in her calm, intelligent and good humored way she was ...

Verified

I had a small electrical fire in my basement which created more damage than I would’ve expected. I called Homesite immediately after the firefighters had left, and the rep’s first...

What is Homesite Insurance?

Homesite Insurance sells home insurance policies to customers across the United States. Homeowners who purchase a home insurance plan through Homesite are covered in case of specific damages to possessions or a home’s physical structure. Homesite’s insurance tends to cost less than other companies’ policies, but the base plan doesn’t include as much coverage.

Homesite homeowners insurance cost

Most Homesite homeowners insurance plans range from $900 to $1,900 a year. Quotes differ based on the value of the policy, the location of the covered home and the amount of coverage.

Homesite's homeowners insurance is generally cheaper than its competitors’ policies. This makes it a good choice for those looking to protect their home without breaking the bank.

Homesite insurance premium examples

Policy valueAnnual premium
$75,000$900
$150,000$975
$200,000$1,150
$350,000$1,900

What does Homesite homeowners insurance cover?

One option with Homesite is to purchase the base package. This attracts customers who are obligated to have homeowners insurance and want an affordable option. The basic homeowners policy from Homesite covers:

• Dwelling coverage: This covers damage to the physical structure of a home from covered events, including windstorms or hail.
  • Personal property coverage: This covers your belongings inside and outside your home, including appliances, furniture, clothing and electronics. If they are damaged, destroyed or stolen, Homesite covers them.
  • Loss of use coverage: If your home must undergo repairs and it becomes uninhabitable, this coverage pays for hotel rooms, restaurant meals and alternative transportation.
  • Personal liability coverage: If someone injured on your property files a lawsuit against you, this covers legal fees.
  • Medical payments for guests: If a guest is injured on the property, this coverage pays for medical bills.

Homesite has optional add-ons, also known as policy riders or endorsements. Add-ons increase the price of premiums, but they also increase your coverage.

• Identity theft: If your identity is stolen, this coverage pays for relevant legal fees.
  • Valuables: Additional coverage exists for high-worth valuables, such as expensive jewelry and art.
  • Personal injury protection: This pays for legal fees associated with invasion of privacy, libel and slander.
  • Service line breakdown coverage: This coverage is often necessary for customers who own a service line.
  • Sump pump overflow coverage: Homesite covers repairs needed after a sump pump overflows.

Homesite homeowners insurance discounts

Homesite offers discounts that lower premiums, including:

• Home alarm discount: Homes with a smoke or fire detector or a home security system qualify for a reduction in premiums.
  • Age-related discount: Customers who are older than 55 and living on a fixed income pay less for policies.
  • Home age discount: Newer homes are eligible for a discount.
  • Bundled insurance: Bundle auto and home insurance with Homesite for reduced premiums.

Homesite homeowners insurance FAQ

Is Homesite Insurance part of Geico?
No, but GEICO and several companies offer homeowners insurance through Homesite.
Does Homesite offer other insurance options?
Yes, Homesite sells home, condo, renters, auto, life, commercial and flood insurance. Customers with more than one insurance plan from Homesite bundle them for a discount.
How do I file a claim with Homesite?
To file a claim, call Homesite directly or fill out its online claim form.
Does Homesite choose the contractor for repairs?
No, customers choose the contractor, although Homesite sometimes makes recommendations.

Is Homesite Insurance good?

Overall, Homesite is a good choice for homeowners insurance. Its base plan is affordable, though it lacks some basic coverage that most other home insurance companies include. Customers unhappy with this can enroll in the necessary add-ons. Although reviews vary, many note that customer service is friendly and helpful.

Homesite Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2022

I cancelled my homeowner's renewal in part because of a sharp rate increase and in part because of a claim being handled very poorly. I had already paid the next year's premium in full about one month prior to my cancellation. I cancelled the renewal on Dec. 4 and my old policy, already paid in full the year before, was to expire on Dec. 14, plenty of time to process the cancellation. I was told that I would receive a refund in 7 to 10 business days. After 12 days and no refund, I called and was told that they were waiting for the old policy to expire before refunding the money for the cancelled policy. As illogical and shady as that was, it gets worse. I was told that the refund was in the mail on Dec. 15 and I must again wait 7 to 10 business days for delivery.

I called on Dec. 27, 12 days later, to report no refund having been received. I was then told to wait another couple of days because I must calculate the delivery time according to Homesite's work week rather than that of the USPS. After that allotted time passed, I again called and was told to wait at least until Jan. 6 to report a non-delivery of the promised check. Please note that, at this point, they are claiming that a mailed refund reasonably can take 33 days to reach the customer.

When I inquired what would be done on Jan. 6, I was told that they would begin the process over again, but the wait time would be greater because they would add time to stop payment on the check they claim to have sent 2 weeks ago. They will lie to you repeatedly. Their claim process was heartbreaking also. My deductible was $1000 but I had to put out nearly $7000 because they nickel and dime you to absurdity. I should have cancelled them immediately after the claim experience.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

Horrible experience with this company. Their only job is to protect my family and keep us insured. Since they didn't submit the right paperwork my family was uninsured for months!!! Not only this they threatened to drop us for roofing shingles that looked damaged when we moved in!!! I pleaded with them even after sending them the contract and they didn't budge. Dreadful, horrible, lazy, lack of attention to detail. Stay far away!!!

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

Very bad experience. Wouldn’t cooperate with my contractors, and refused to talk to them. Wouldn’t recommend for anyone. Wouldn’t take my calls back after trying to contact them for a few days. Wouldn’t talk to a public adjuster.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

I have been a customer of Homesite by Progressive for over 5 years, I have had no previous experiences good or bad, but recently I got married and went through the process of adding my wife's wedding ring to our Home Insurance Policy. I contacted them in March and was advised to obtain an appraisal which I did from Shane Co. where I purchased the ring. The instructions I received from Customer services were instructed me to send the appraisal to them and they would contact me if anything else was needed. I received a confirmation Email a few days later that they had received the appraisal and for me to stand by. I did not receive any further info regarding the matter and I assumed I was now covered.

In November my wife's wedding ring was either lost or stolen and we submitted a claim. The Homesite Insurance Adjuster contacted us the next day and advised that our claim was denied because we did not have the ring covered in our policy. I contacted Homesite Customer Services and they advised that the Appraisal which I obtained from Shane Co. was received but not sufficient for their requirements, and that the ring was never added to my Policy.

Customer Services confirmed that based on their records that there was never any communication sent to me regarding the rejection of the Appraisal document from Shane Co. or any steps I needed to take to obtain coverage. The Rep told me there that a note was placed in my file stating that the appraisal did not have a Store Address and Signature so it was not accepted. I confirmed that the appraisal did have a Customer Reference Number listed, which is what is used by Shane Co. for insurance purposes and appraisal confirmation in situations like this one. Furthermore that since we had now submitted a claim of Loss, even though it was immediately denied due to lack of coverage, we were unable to insure the ring if it was recovered in the future.

The fact that I did not receive any communication from Homesite led to our lack of coverage and they will not take any responsibility, I was told that there is no recourse or way to fix this. I was also told that there was no "Claim Listed" for a Loss, but they can see that I had a denied claim so now I cannot get valuable personal property insurance based on a denied claim that was never completed.

I am extremely frustrated at this at the lack of professionalism, Homesite made a mistake and It cost us a large sum of money on top of immeasurable emotional distress of loss of a sentimental item. Homesite by Progressive has made no attempt to make this right and the fact that now we have this illegitimate claim on my file that was never technically filed or acted on makes me feel like I was caught in some sort of vicious cycle, and taken advantage of. I am sure there are countless individuals out there who have also suffered from this lack of communication as well.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

We put a quote in due to a storm and every step of the way they were awful. Never calling us back, saying something different each time we talked to someone. They told us they would cover our storm damage if we did three or four things. We did those. They fired the lady who told us that and suddenly were saying they would not be able to cover it. 4 or 5 times I tried to call someone to understand why, finally got a manager name and he passed it to one of his lackeys to call me back and just say they would not cover it with no explanation or details. This is through Geico. Do NOT get home insurance with Geico or with this company.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

Homesite is billing me for a policy that doesn't exist due to their own IT error. Hard to believe, but in fact I don't have a policy, yet they are billing me over $2000. They have promised repeatedly that their IT team will fix this issue in their own database, but after 2 months and multiple phone calls, it still isn't resolved and I have received notice of a late payment for a policy that doesn't actually exist in their system. I have filed BBB case **.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

Canceled my policy without a letter phone call or email, informed me when I called them, the roof needed replacement. I informed them it was scheduled for the spring. Well that's not good enough for them. But they had no problem taking my money.

Original review: July 28, 2022

Homesite - via Geico - has insured our home since we moved here in November 2020. Didn't know it wasn't Geico until we filed a claim -- Geico sublets home insurance to Homesite, a company dead last in JD Power rankings. On June 10 we had a once-in-a-lifetime hail/rainstorm. Gutters filled to the top with hail, then 3 inches of rain fell within an hour. Water overwhelmed the gutters, which were filled with hail, dropped down instead of being carried away and entered one of the basement windows - above the foundation - flooding the basement. Homesite says this is ground water and that it is not covered. But Homesite's own definition of ground water is water below the surface of the ground.

This was at ground level, not below it, and we provided the adjuster ample proof with pictures from during and after the storm. After the adjustor requested estimates from carpeting and drywall contractors we were given this decision 43 days after filing the claim. This followed the pattern set with the first part of the claim - the hail damage to our roof. We are the only house among more than 50 contracted by our roofer that is not getting an insured gutter replacement. Homesite calls the damage cosmetic. It also won't cover our deck needing to be resurfaced, even though that is also industry standard. When we purchased this policy we checked every replacement value option available. We always overinsure. Despite that, we were given "replacement value minus unrecoverable depreciation" on the roof, meaning Homesite will pay roughly half the cost.

A six-word addendum to the policy stuck in the middle of 50 pages negates all the paragraphs in the policy that say we are getting full replacement value. It's a bad-faith bait-and-switch and fully in line with the terrible, unresponsive customer service provided throughout this process. We have $39,000 in damage, and we got a check for a little over $13,000. Homesite either squeaks through loopholes or flatly lies about damage, and it seems to be company policy to not return phone messages or emails. Do not trust this company to protect your home – insurers are supposed to make things better, not far worse, when a disaster hits.

Original review: July 6, 2022

I had a camera bag stolen from my vehicle that was in my driveway. I have a police report. The issue is the camera was gifted to us by my late mother who passed on 5/26/22. Obviously, I can't get those receipts as she has passed, and have no clue where/if she even has them. I provided the model numbers and costs etc. and basically was told, oh well, sucks for you. Allstate would have NEVER been so shallow like this. I strongly discourage you from ever doing business with this company!!

Original review: June 4, 2022

In August of 2021, my children and I were unable to be inside the home I was renting. The home had dad moldy smell. We had a hot and humid June July and August! It wasn’t until September I was able to walk inside the property without having my skin burn! My children left August 1st and I never brought them back inside that home again! I thought back-and-forth with my landlord. I filed an insurance claim and at the time did not know that it was mold that was giving us this reaction. When I had the test completed on the filter for the furnace and the test came back positive and high with mold spores and I haven’t even ran the AC or the heater as we were moving into fall.

I slept in my vehicle, I lost my children, I had a judge tell me that I could not have my children live inside a property that had mold, however she didn’t allow me to speak because I wasn’t there for the two court dates prior to that my ex had behind my back. Under my renter's insurance policy, since we were unable to be inside the home for long periods of time, we didn’t even sleep there. I tried to call Homesite several times. I was told the original claim I opened in August 2021 what is the claim they would use. I sent them a copy of the mold report completed by a licensed agent. I was even told by the adjuster, she was just going to deny my claim and send me a letter. She wasn’t even going to call me.

When you do call them back immediately, they don’t answer their phone. You can call them right back, and it would go to voicemail. So I started to leave emails as well! Documentation! Because I could see what type of company this was! The Home had forced air and you could see there was stuff growing on my personal property. I was told I needed to take pictures, not throw anything away, and save any receipts. I was also told a claim would be opened. I had to call back three days later and ask about the claim! When I called the second time to update once I found out what the issue was I wasn’t offered a safe place to breathe and live with my children. And when I asked why someone wouldn’t come out, even though the paperwork they send says they will use a third-party to come to the home and look at the items.

I kept calling, I kept asking, I kept begging! And pleading! And nothing! My claim was closed and they didn’t even send me yeah a denial letter. New norm so I could appeal. This company has lied. And I can prove it. This company owes me and my children for everything we lost. They could have just simply helped and paid out on the claim! Once I did get an answer about the payment for the claim, it was $2500! For a $20,000 policy!!! My policy wasn’t outrageous it was my first policy! I didn’t expect to have mold inside the air ducks, I paid to have them cleaned twice! The adjuster even went as far as to block my emails! And I was lied to. I was told she no longer work there.

After a little bit of digging on this insurance company. Homesite insurance of Florida, I saw they had a review or an audit I should say and in that audit states that they were not paying out on their claims! This was back in 2017! Can you imagine how many people have lost so much and they haven’t been held accountable for? I have some pretty damaging printed screens of messages or lack thereof in regards to this company!!! What blows my mind, were they able to take my payment upfront for a year, before the claim was even closed, they already have the billing up a month prior to for the start of the next policy! This has been the worst experience for my children and I! Please not go with this company for insurance purposes!!

Homesite Insurance Company Information