1.24/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

327 Homesite Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 31, 2018

I was given Homesite through Progressive! Shame on you Progressive for sending your customers to this shady company! First when I signed up I was grossly mislead into thinking I had basically the same coverage I had through USAA but come to find out the contents of my refrigerator are not covered! And they say my electronics and computer equipment have a deductible but looking at what I can see of the policy this stuff is supposed to be under a special endorsement, what happened? I went on a long trip. I was gone 5-6 days. When I got home the main breaker was tripped in my trailer. When I turned it back on several expensive computer items were damaged from either a surge or lightning strike!

The person assigned to my claim fought with me tooth and nail and said there’s a deductible for the computer equipment. This is what the policy says I’m covered for “Replacement Cost on Personal Property. “Protected”. When you purchase this endorsement, you can replace stolen or destroyed personal property with items of like kind and quality without deduction for depreciation.”

I’m supposed have this I paid for it! He was very rude and told me to prove I had a 0 deductible for this! But as of yet he refused to honor it! Now they ask for my landlord's contact information? They say this is to verify the loss? How can this verify a surge inside my dwelling? The landlord has no right to enter my property for this matter. He had nothing to do with the weather and the weather did no damage to his property! This is just a ploy to find a way to deny the claim! I also had to pay someone almost $200 to get a diagnostic of the damage. This came out of my pocket. They say it’s covered and they will pay me for this expense! But so far I have done nothing but spend money and got nothing back for my premium I paid a full year for!

Once this is over I’m gone. Going back to USAA! I only left USAA because of a divorce. What a mistake! I will also be taking my auto policy back to USAA! Do not do business with Homesite or Progressive! Unless it’s through USAA! USAA has a deal with Progressive for RV and other coverage and will not let Progressive screw their members over! But if you deal with them directly forget it. You're wasting your money. Go somewhere else!

Original review: March 14, 2018

I rent an apartment with mandatory insurance, I chose the Progressive/Homesite Insurance, because my car insurance is there. One night when I was at work, an apartment upstairs was broke pipe and my apartment was flooded. January, everything is flooded in the apartment and I had a shock. I called to the insurance Property Claims Adjuster Mr. Michael **. He very friendly helped to find temporary housing and cover the costs after the flood. I express my gratitude to Mr. Michael ** and Progressive/Homesite Insurance for their help.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 13, 2018

We were involved in the Thomas Fire and resulting mudslides. Although we did not sustain damage, we were evacuated several times - "loss of use" because the evac was mandatory. I was basically told that because our home wasn't wrecked, we were not covered -- even though we could not use our home. SO here we stay during the next evac because we can't afford to move to a hotel.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Graded F- This company should not be allowed to sell insurance! I don't understand why the government can't do something about companies like this. I called the state insurance phone number for insurance and there are no guidelines to protect the insured party for scams that this company pulls on people. One small claim after many years of no claim and they cancel you on the spot. As long as you are sending in your money for their insurance premium, you're good with them... not protected at all! Sad but this company is handed to people who get their multi insurance as bundled with Progressive, Geico, and other companies without the insured knowing who they are being given to. STAY CLEAR, WE ARE VERY SORRY WE DIDN'T LOOK INTO THIS COMPANY RIGHT AWAY TO FIND OUT only after we needed them.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I switched to Progressive for my home and auto coverage after leaving Allstate. I had a Renter's policy with Progressive (Homesite). We had a banking fraud incident at our credit union where all of my family's accounts were wiped. We originally had autopay set up for these policy premiums. I got a bill from them in the mail and started mailing payments to the renter's policy after switching banks. A few months later I started getting refund checks back from Homesite because during that period of fraud and the process of switching banks and mailing payments, they cancelled my policy and issued refund checks.

When I called to follow up on the returned premium checks, I was informed they couldn't "reinstate" my policy, so I had to start a brand new one with them which I did, and is now the policy in question. During that phone call to start the replacement policy, I asked many questions, and made sure I had the additional protection on there to cover the equipment and verified that it was “replacement” coverage. We even discussed adding flood insurance at a later date (sales agent’s name was Nicki).

Fast forward: I came home after being in an outpatient clinic and ultimately, the emergency room all day and night on November 20, 2017 to find my home had been burglarized (2nd time! 1st time was back in 2010). They gained access to the home through the 2nd floor bedroom windows (climbed up a tree onto our porch roof and went through a bedroom window). My entire office was wiped out. This is the sunroom of our house and where I stored about $30,000 worth of professional grade photography equipment, lighting gear, Apple computers, laptops, and iPads. The burglars left our 2 TVs and took nothing else (we didn't have much else, because we couldn't afford to replace much after our first robbery. No video game units or anything else of value in our home).

During the last THREE MONTHS of this ordeal, Homesite has done nothing short of delay the processing of this claim and create multiple roadblocks in getting it paid timely. I was very patient at first, but this has been stressful and ridiculous as the amount of time I have put into gathering ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS, submitted HUNDREDS of receipts, hundreds of pages of proof of purchase, prior renter’s policies, spreadsheets of my inventory with serial numbers, photos of the home damage, photos of some of the items stolen, photos of the ACTUAL boxes things came in with serial numbers, model numbers, and every possible piece of information we could find.

This insurance company has acted IN BAD FAITH and never had any intentions of paying this claim even though my policy is a "FULL REPLACEMENT" policy. They continued to hold up the claim for ONE missing receipt for a used lens I had on my art camera (5D Canon converted to Infrared) that they never intended to pay anyway. I even submitted a RAW photo that had metadata showing the camera and lens that was used to take the photo. Even if we could not prove ownership of that ONE item out of $30K worth of other items, the claim could have been paid LESS that ONE ITEM for future follow-up.

This process went on for over 3 months. I talked to multiple people, an adjuster came to my home and interviewed me. They switched claims adjusters, and said they had to perform multiple "round-table" discussions to review my "questionable" claim on this "new" policy (even though it wasn't "New" but a replacement policy), and I had even submitted proof of prior renter's policies with prior companies to the claim adjuster and to the claims agent when asked why I never had renter’s insurance before this. In the end, they are offering $3,000 as a settlement claim for a $30,000 original claim stating that most of my property had at one point in its lifetime been used "professionally" therefore, it didn't qualify and they were putting a "cap" on my policy of the $3,000.00.

Talking to "supervisors" has been fruitless. Talking to the agents has been fruitless. It has been well over three months of constant stress and lack of cooperation in getting this claim paid. Now they are acting in bad faith in paying the claim at all. Looking at the complaints filed against them after the fact has just shown me they are a company with shady practices and should not be allowed to represent Indiana policy owners if they don't want to pay claims that policy owners pay premiums for and expect to help them in times of need.

This company is RUDE, full of incompetent business practices, and they have NO intention of paying your claims! It's reality folks! Insurance companies are NOT here to help you in your time of need, they are here to find a way to save their own ** and NOT pay your claim, or to pay the least amount as legally possible to screw YOU, the consumer out of coverage you think you purchased!!! BUYER BEWARE!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homesite Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

We suffered a devastating house fire in November- the fire was arson. We were devastated. Homesite has been incredibly rude, unhelpful & basically treated us like we burnt our home down. We went through several interrogations, interviews with multiple agents & private investigators. They are now demanding we travel 3/4 hours away to meet with yet another person- an attorney before any payouts or anything is done. We were not near the home when fire was set. We have cooperated fully with their demands with no avail.

It's sad that the only professional person was from Brightsite (Ryan **) who gathers your remains of your contents & what's left of your home-then Todd from Service Master was very pleasant & showed some compassion for what we were going through. We've lost pretty much everything we have. We have a large family (7 of us total-5 children) & they've put us in a hotel room for the last 70+ days with 2 queen beds. No food vouchers, no "sorry about your loss," NO NOTHING!!! It's such a shame!!

When someone goes through a fire its devastating enough- but then to be treated like criminals & bad people is in a different level. The desk adjuster is completely disconnected. It sounds like he works from home & has no clue how to show empathy or concern for our loss. They were paid for their services & now that it's time to cover something. It's like we are scum of the earth. No formal estimate on damages- only told we were responsible for the home & any further damages done (by fire or water) until their investigation was completed. It is the middle of winter - subzero temperatures & wet, frozen & empty home other than our belongings that remained for 2 weeks!!! We only had the clothes on our backs!

We've had to deal with demo people, begging for information- no help from our insurance company. This company is through Geico/Progressive & the money they save you each month is not worth the money you'll have in doing your own repairs, the headache of dealing with them & heartache you'll go through dealing with this pitiful excuse for a company. RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN & GET A DIFFERENT INSURANCE COMPANY!!! If I could give them a negative number in reviews I would. Horrible customer service, horrible morals, horrible company!!! Scam artists at its best. Cut rate insurance. It's been the most horrible horrific experience of our lives!!!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

They lie and asking to talk with the supervisors are just as bad as the adjuster. They never call you back when you call and leave a message. The same is with the supervisor, no return call either. My suggestion is if you do have them as your insurance call the insurance commission in your state and get them involved in your claim because before it's over you will be calling them anyway. YES they are that bad. No customer service at all! As soon as I receive my payment for my claim I will be changing my insurance as is my daughter who also is canceling her policy with them. They don't have 292 complaints for nothing. RUN from Homesite. They are through Progressive Home Insurance. Don't be suckered in. You call Progressive and this is the underwriter for Progressive. Don't be fooled. They are the worst. I will be going back to State Farm... SOON AS I RECEIVE PAYMENTS.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Claims - This was so efficiently handled by Amanda ** of the Binghamton New York. I was amazed. This was the time when all the hurricanes hit... yet in her calm, intelligent and good humored way she was terrific. If I could give six stars I would... thanks.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I recently had a home fire which destroyed my entire home. There was nothing left at all. I call Homesite Insurance and they instantly threw my claim to the SIU department. They placed me in a hotel. It's been a few months now. I receive a email saying I need to do a EUO. This company loves taking people money but sit on their hands when it's time to payout. So they basically denied me when I called to file the claim. Please, I'm begging you, no matter how good they may sound do not go with this company. They are professional SCAM artist that the government lets get over on people... It's not worth it. I haven't received one dime from these people. Sad company, bad business and SCAMMERS!!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Filed a claim after Irma. Was mailed a letter dated the 8th that my property needed an inspection before renewal. They already knew Irma was going to hit us. I had renewed in June. This was Sept. After numerous phone calls someone came yesterday. Talk about a blow off. Impersonal. This wasn't covered. That wasn't covered. How did the shed get knocked down. It was a HURRICANE. Freezer that was crushed. Not covered. Food. Not covered. Fence... we put back up ourself. DO NOT USE THEM.

The adjuster told me on the phone he was looking at my damage yet no one had been here. CANCELING. As FEMA said... Hardly ever is a home an entire loss at almost 3k a year premium on a 160k policy. I'll fix it myself. Forget a nice friendly appraiser. Or an honest adjuster. After a call they said that John was my appraiser... That was my husband!! Tried to make most repairs on our own but roof was damaged too bad. We did fix ceilings... fences and replace our building.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have called Dan ** last week and no call returned. The contractor's work was done with the wrong product. Dan gave him a copy of the supplies needed. Lots of errors, bathroom is unsafe. I still have toilet water dripping into my living room. Plus so many other issues. Contractor was given money from Homesite to remove gable and the walls that adjoined the bathroom. Contractor told me adjuster ** told him not to remove walls. He was paid. Contractor will not return money to us or insurance company. That is insurance fraud. When my mother, Carmen ** and myself, Kim ** called insurance company Mr. ** told us not his issue.

There has to be a department that handles fraud cases and poorly, incompletely done work. My mother will need to put on another claim. Tub is unsafe, Kim has almost fallen out bathroom window inside the tub. Tub is unleveled. There is painters tape around Tub that was grouted and cannot remove tape. Also tape on outside of tub and grouted cannot be removed without scratching new tub, the same with toilet. Contractor also used wall tiles with a weight limit on floor that is also on wrong boards. Tiles are cracking. Tub tiles not grouted all the way. Faucet and shower pipe are 3 to 4 inches away from tile and inside the wall the pipe was not anchored. Sanding and painting was sloppy.

I can not afford to hire a lawyer, have gone to every agency in CT for help. No luck. This man needs to pay back the insurance money and also fix my living room wall that he cracked when sledgehammering old tub. He was also paid to close up hole in living room. Did not do and won't return money. I need the insurance company's help with this one and it is like they wiped their hands off this. Because of my ex contractor my mother home rates will go up and the value of her home has gone down. This is unfair. My mother is 79 yrs old and I am disabled, lower back and hips have arthritis, I do not feel safe in the shower. I have already fallen twice while showering. I took the sink with me and hit my head on the wall. The sink was not properly installed.

Please get back to me, I need to tell you one more issue and it is private, I do not want to put it on the web. But, I can say this I feel very unsafe in my home and in my yard. I do not go out like I use to. Fear of running into him or the 2 workers he had that he paid cash to for working, no taxes... taken out, that also is illegal. The legal dept needs to help my mother and me. If I do not hear from you, your company will also be brought up to the channel 30 investigation unit.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Received an estimate to perform repairs on my property following a severe storm which included Recoverable Depreciation. I obtained the necessary materials and performed the repairs myself. Once I submitted all of the necessary paperwork including pictures of the repairs and receipts for materials Homesite provided me with an updated estimate which was much lower than the original estimate and stated this new estimate was based on "homeowner's rates". This new estimate now showed that Homesite owed $0 dollars for Recoverable Depreciation vs >$5,000 on the original estimate. The Homesite representative claims that I should have been informed that the original estimate was for "contractor rates" and that "homeowner rates" are different however there is nothing on their website and nothing listed on any of the documentation I have received.

I feel like Homesite is ripping me off after I completed the repairs to my property. Furthermore they raised my home insurance premium by more than $1,400 and verbally stated this was because I have had some recent claims (1 small claim in 2016 for a backed up sump pump and 2 claims in 2017 (both 2017 claims are from the same severe storm). I am being punished for actually using the insurance I have continuously paid for and Homesite is desperately trying to recover any money they can from me since they paid out money to perform the necessary repairs to my property per my insurance policy. I am going to explore legal options now as what they are doing to me is illegal.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

It is now well over a month after Harvey. In spite of dozens of calls (on hold 20-22 minutes then disconnected) I have been unable to speak with anyone at Homesite and my email correspondence goes unanswered. My home is flooded and gutted and I cannot make any progress at all with Homesite. This is a very big disappointment and mistake. Do not trust Homesite.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Had wind storm go through my area in March 2017. Wind damaged 5 homes in my neighborhood, including mine. Called Homesite to report the claim and they finally sent out an adjuster on 5/10/2017. His report concurred the wind damage and their estimate to replace was $13,300. Then they dinged me 3% of home value, which they claim was $300,000. Ya right. So that takes the settlement down to $10,300. Then they deducted that my roof was depreciated and it was 25 yrs old. Final settlement was $3700. Problem was, my roof was only 12 yrs old and their adjuster and another contractor verified this.

After 2 months trying to make contact, I was advised my claims adjuster was no longer there and I was assigned another. After several phone calls and leaving voicemails, I finally made contact with the new rep after being told he wasn't in. He tells me that they did reimburse me for a 12 yr old roof, which is false. Furthermore, he advised me they're not giving me any more money, even after I told him I found a contractor for $8,000 to replace. Depreciation had nothing to do with the damage from the wind and he didn't care. He told me there's a provision in my policy stating they didn't cover depreciation, which I still haven't found.

When I told him I was changing companies, he didn't really care. This is a division of Geico, with whom I had auto insurance. Guess what? Not anymore. This company the worst customer service and I would highly recommend anyone to go elsewhere. Just don't buy insurance from a company that uses a lizard as its mascot. And all my neighbors got their roofs fixed w/o a hitch. I'm the lone wolf who apparently didn't do enough research on this company.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

A hailstorm passed through the Denver area damaging many roofs. Both of my neighbors had a new roof before I received my claim check. I have a $1000 deductible on claims but it seems that hail damage had a $2500.00 deductible. I searched and found a great deal on replacing my roof, I purchased the materials and paid for labor. After submitting my invoice to recover the depreciable value I receive an email telling me that I did not spend enough money to qualify. Also not covered were items that the adjuster listed such as chimney cap and dented gutters. Homesite claimed it was only "cosmetic" damage. To top it off I wrote this entire review while waiting on hold to speak to an insurance agent. I'd find another insurance co.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

We have been insured with Homesite for about four years and within that time three years ago we had a claim for a dog scaring someone off a bike and every year the amount of the policy payments went up but this year it went up almost three hundred dollars and we have not had any claims other than the one three years ago. So we found a better policy with a different company for less and called Homesite to cancel our existing policy. Now even though it was just raised they said they can find us discounts now. If there were discounts to be given why raise my policy payments? This makes no sense at all. Farmers gave us a better policy for less.

Original review: July 27, 2017

My wife and I bought a house at the end of June, and used Homesite Insurance for our home owners insurance. Everything went well through purchasing the insurance, and Homesite was aware that our roof was an older roof. I've just received a letter dated July 24, 2017 stating that our insurance was cancelled due to the roof having some missing shingles and wear. I am not disputing Homesite's right to refuse service. My issue is that I won't be receiving a refund for the rest of the year for 2-3 more weeks.

If I return an item that I bought, it's general practice that I would receive my money or some sort of credit immediately, so what I'm failing to understand is how an insurance company can cancel a policy without immediately returning the funds for a service that they are no longer providing. Further, if I am required to have insurance on my home, how could an insurance company hold onto money that was directed for that purpose, thus hindering my ability to comply with the necessity of having home insurance due to their decision to not serve us.

Original review: July 27, 2017

My apartment flooded and I lost clothes, my bed, bags, documents, family photos, and receipts of those items. It was a flood, for God's sake. I contacted them and it took two days for a call back. They asked for photos, two days later, which I provided. Bottom line, after two months of dealing with this, I finally got a call and they mentioned my claim was not approved because the lack of photos. Anyway, do not do business with this company. They are only interested in collecting your payments and when you need them, they will deny your claim. I lived in misery for a month with not even a bed to sleep on and all they said it was, "Well, next time, take better photos". Lesson learned. Never again Homesite Insurance.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Went with Homesite through Progressive renters insurance and to say that I am happy would be a understatement... Plumbing over flowed in the basement and it's a in-law suite and got bed set, rug, dressers, mattress and a couple other things... Called Homesite. They were very nice and professional. No hassles. Took about a week and a half and sent us the money no problems... They tried to say they was sorry when all I wanted to do was thank them... I've been through a car insurance claim that took months so needless to say I would absolutely recommend Homesite to other people. My adjuster's name was James **. Very nice person. Thank you so much and for making my experience hassle free.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Won't return deposit - I ordered a policy and then canceled it right away because of the answer to a question I forgot to ask. I asked for my money to be returned and here it is over a week later and they still want to hold my money for more than 10 days. I spoke with a supervisor named John and he told me he would tell billing to reverse the charges on the payment and I would have a refund in 2 days. Now I hear from a supervisor named Ryan that billing won't refund my money before the 10 days because it was not their "error." This is a very nasty policy. It doesn't make a difference whose "error" it is. They should just refund the money. I canceled and they just want to hold the money. I want my money back now not in another week or whenever they want.

Original review: July 1, 2017

On 7.29.2016 our area and surrounding rural areas experienced a massive hailstorm which damaged our RV and our home. We filed a claim through Geico since we had bundled vehicles and home. Geico responded swiftly and courteously. They totaled our RV and payment was received within a couple of weeks. However, our problem came when we filed a homeowner claim through Homesite for the hail damage to our roof and siding. Initially, the woman in customer service informed us that our deductible was $5000 and then proceeded to ask if we wanted to continue with our claim? We responded by stating, absolutely! Within a few weeks, an adjuster inspected our home and gave an estimate of over $17,000. Homesite soon responded via letter, they would deduct $5000. They would send the first check of $10,000 for roof and other repairs. They also stated when repairs were complete, they would send the remaining $2000.

Since the damage to our home and extended areas in our town were so extensive, we were put on a waiting list to have our roof repaired once we accepted a bid we liked. We were trying to save money by going with the lowest bid as well as a reputable company who we have done business with in the past. Approximately 6 months later the roofing company was ready to repair our roof. In the meantime, my spouse and I repaired and painted the entire exterior of home ourselves in order to save money.

Once all repairs were complete, we contacted Homesite on 4.16.17 only for them to say they closed our claim in which we were NEVER notified. We explained we were on a waiting list (it was out of our control) through the roofing company and the woman replied she would have to speak with her supervisor. All correspondence was done via email. Several days had gone by without contact from Homesite. We contacted them again and was informed our case was given to a "specialist" Stephanie **. She told us her supervisor had refused to reopen our claim.

Several more days went by when she said, our first email didn't come until after she wrote us to inform us that our Claim was closed. She informed us our case had been reopened, she received original receipts and original documentation. Furthermore, in yet another email, she asked that she be called to discuss "recoverable depreciation." Through this conversation, she was explaining how recoverable depreciation worked and what she thought we should be paid for scraping, painting and caulking our home plus what we paid for the exterior paint and supplies.

Homesite originally withheld about $7200 for recoverable depreciation so we are confused as to why they are applying it again??? HOMESITE has terrible customer service and they are a fraudulent company. As of July 1, 2017, we are still fighting with Homesite, and have decided to contact the Wyoming Insurance Commission, the FTC, the BBB and the Wyoming Attorney Generals office. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH HOMESITE.

Original review: June 27, 2017

My home was burglarized and Homesite was nothing short of terrible. I have been through this experience before and they made it so much more painful than it needed to be and didn't give me the money I was owed. They are intentionally deceptive, completely lacking empathy during a difficult time, and clearly out to make a buck and nothing more. They record all conversations and then refuse to play the recordings back to their customers if they feel there is information that is damaging to them on the call and blame their legal department for not being able to play the recording. Their documentation is intentionally confusing and any ask for clarification is even more incomprehensible. They assume that we all know how to speak insurance jargon. They accused me of lying and then reminded me that I was being recorded. Just run away.

Original review: June 19, 2017

Homesite can only set up one policy per email address. Homesite requires an email for User ID when logging on. They emphasize paperless communication on their website. I have 3 homes with homeowners policies.. They asked me to set up 3 email addresses so that I may have access to my Homesite policies.. "Unfortunately our system only allows one policy per email address." Wow. What a pain in the neck to access my insurance info and receive renewal notices electronically. (I certify that I am a homesite customer and have been for 8 years.)

Original review: June 13, 2017

This is the worst insurance company that I have ever worked with. I have spent 3 months trying to get them to show that my escrow company paid my insurance in full. I have the confirmation of the check being cashed 2 months ago and they are trying to charge me a bounced check fee. I spoke with Eric #** who handled the situation horribly. He told me that I would not speak to anyone after him and that I could mail a complaint to their office if I wanted to make one. I will be changing my insurance company.

Original review: June 9, 2017

These folks are a lying sack of **. They are the worst in customer service hands down. I have had total loss of a home before moving to Texas with State Farm was smooth and easy. I have had several other insurance carriers Farmers and Allstate never a fiasco like Homesite. I wouldn't insure a dog house or a chicken coop with these people. 24 days to get the 1st check to start repairs. Thank God my house didn't burn down. I would have had to sleep in the car for 24 days! I have never in my life had such a hassle with a claim in 35 years of being a homeowner. During this claim after my new roof was installed I made the switch to Allstate. Go with a major insurance company. You won't go wrong.

Updated on 06/14/2017: They are holding my deprecation hostage more hassles than it is worth. DO NOT INSURE a dog house or chicken coop with them!

Original review: June 5, 2017

We experienced damage to our home due to siding coming loose and flooding; ceiling in basement and walls were compromised as well as basement flooring. When we initially called in, we were told that "groundwater" was not covered. Due to ceiling stains, I didn't think this was an issue so we were sent to the adjuster James **. He informed me on the phone, without looking at anything, that this would not be covered. After asking for at least an inspector, he finally consented after I requested to be transferred to someone else. An inspector came a week later during which mold and mildew were growing in my basement as we were afraid to disturb the area and compromise the inspection.

The inspector said it was NOT groundwater, but due to siding spitting away from the wall. No one contacted us, but a week later, we call in to find out they are sending a letter of denial because flooding is not necessarily a groundwater issue, but a lot of rain and since it was an ongoing problem, the claim was denied. They basically found any way out of covering costs that was possible. They have no regards for the families that pay them to take care of them. We signed up with them through GEICO and will be canceling all of our policies with BOTH companies. Wish we had read reviews sooner and had never paid them a cent!

Original review: June 4, 2017

After viewing all the people who had commented on how completely dissatisfied they are with Homesite, it is obvious they are nothing but scam artists who do not deserve a moment of time when considering your next insurance company. I have had the same nightmares and suffered the same frustration when dealing with this company, and all I can say about them is "good riddance". I have had my cars insured with Progressive for over 20 years, but after the experience I had recently with their homeowner insurance company they are affiliated with... I am kicking EVERYONE to the curb.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I was offered a discounted rate on renters insurance w/ Homesite through my auto insurance. I spoke w/ 3 different sales reps about very specific items, including coverage of musical instruments outside of the property (they told me they would be covered outside the home the same as if they were in the home), and that they had a $10k cap on instruments but other musical equipment wasn't included in this cap.

Upon opening the policy and then reading through the actual policy docs and speaking with a rep (not a sales rep) none of what I had been told was accurate. There were limitations on items located outside of the home, and No musical "equipment' (not just instruments) were covered unless I specifically scheduled them at additional costs each. I became increasingly skeptical on the sales calls - they were "great sales people", - but after being directed through 3 different people to get answers, I figured I could sign up and confirm in the policy docs. What a waste of a couple hours. They might have gotten my business (and kept it) if they had just been honest and given accurate info. They did offer a complete refund, which is one plus I suppose.

Original review: May 24, 2017

On my daughter's birthday we experience high winds and our neighbor's tree hit our house. Luckily no one was at home. Our adjuster David ** was on it very quick and within a couple weeks the entire roof was replaced. The interior was completed professionally as well. Lots of drama initially as expected but our adjuster was reassuring and very helpful during the entire process. Everyone that I interacted with at Homesite Homeowners Insurance was very professional. They did not try and cut corners on anything and actually exceeded my expectations with a completely new roof.

Original review: May 9, 2017

Last year a hail storm damaged my roof. After filing a claim I found that a $2500 deductible was in the fine print for storm damage. They also don't cover depreciation or recoverable loss. So my quote for $11,000 to replace the roof resulted in a $2400 payout. I decided to save the money and add to it until I could replace my roof. On the next renewal they QUADRUPLED my policy from $800 to $3200 a year, basically taking the money right back. Since my roof is damaged I have not found an insurance company that will take me. Homesite is basically extorting money at a faster rate than I can save to replace my roof. When I asked for justification they told me since I had made a claim and my credit rating was lower (I monitor my credit, it was not lower) that I was a high risk customer.

Homesite Insurance Company Information