Need business insurance?

Need business insurance?

2 Hiscox Small Business Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 29, 2019

I tried to get a quote through Progressive and they redirected to Hiscox insurance for my small business insurance. I first filled everything out and they said it would be real easy. 7 pages later they then asked me to call them. So I did and the agent had no clue about insurance or how to cover mine. They stated they do not cover any business that has a website. I told them I'm a web designer, so are you telling me you don't cover any business. They said no only businesses that do not do business on the web. They discriminate against all businesses that own and operate on the web. Stay away from them at all cost.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

From the start things looked great. They have positive reviews on their site and what brought me to them was the coverage they had recently approved and offered to an identical business. We went ahead with organizing all the other details to launch our business. When we went to bind and pay on the policy they are denying coverage as initially quoted. We were offered an approximate 800% increase to the original premium quoted if we wanted to continue further. I feel like a "Bait & Switch" tactic was employed by this provider. I don't understand how they can write a policy for one business and deny another. There could be some anti-trust issues at stake here that need to be investigated.

Get expert buying tips about Business Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Hiscox Small Business Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Hiscox is a provider of small business insurance. It provides professional business services that let buyers purchase insurance online or over the phone. The Hiscox Group is a global insurer offering over 100 years of experience in insuring businesses.

• Financially strong: Hiscox has an 'A' Excellent rating by A.M. Best, which is a national credit ratings company that focuses on insurance companies.

• Tailored plans: There is not a "one-size-fits-all" plan. Rather, Hiscox tailors small business insurance coverage to each business individual's needs.

• Direct Buy: Hiscox simplifies the procedure by allowing businesses to get quotes and buy insurance directly from the insurer, as well as from licenses advisers.

• Customer service: Because the company does not have local offices, they take extra steps to provide quality service online and through their call center that makes it easy to reach human help.

• Catered to small businesses: The Hiscox Small Business unit specializes in working with professional services businesses with fewer than 10 employees.

• Best for: Hiscox Small Business is a suitable option for small businesses, employers with a smaller budget and home-based businesses.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky