Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.57/5

Hiscox specializes in insurance for companies with fewer than 10 employees, and it has an A grade from AM Best for financial strength. Plans are customizable and may include coverage for general liability, professional liability, errors and omissions, cybersecurity, business owners and workers’ compensation.

Hiscox Small Business Insurance Learn More

Are you a sole proprietor?

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

Are you a sole proprietor?

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

Hiscox Small Business Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hiscox Small Business Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hiscox Small Business Insurance?

Original review: March 31, 2020

Uniqua was my customer service rep. She was awesome. She explain the policy. Took her time with me. From the moment we spoke I knew that she knew the insurance business. I would highly recommend this insurance company to anyone that ask me, "Who is your insurance company." Thank you Uniqua. You did great by me and my business. Orlando

Original review: March 11, 2020

I had Hiscox insurance for two years. I have been in business for 8. The first year we had a problem with a new mower we had just bought and paid $12,500 for, it caught on fire. I thought I might have to file a claim but the manufacturer took responsibility because it turned out to be a defect. So I called my agent and told them I didn't need to file a claim. This past year I had two small claims within a week of each other totaling around $600. My insurance agent said it wouldn't affect my premiums or coverage. (Keep in mind I pay almost $700 a year for my insurance.) We fixed the issue and continued on..

Right when my policy was about to renew they sent me a letter saying they was cancelling my coverage. So I called to see what was going on and the agent that answered said they were terminating my policy because I had three claims in one year... So I asked what's the other claim?? I only know of two small ones. And he said because I thought about filing a claim even though I cancelled it (It was not that same year. It was the year before.) and they paid nothing that I have three claims in one year. So I've paid a lot of money just for them to take it and run and cause me problems getting insurance with anyone else. If you are a small business I STRONGLY recommend you shop elsewhere! They will be good until you need to file a claim then they won't pay out or they will pay and leave you uninsured.

Get buying tips about Business Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

BEWARE! Do not use HISCOX for small business liability Ins. They are unprofessional, rude, disorganized, rude, incompetent, rude and you will be sorry to have wasted your time and money with such a horrible company! Worst company we have ever felt with in nearly 20 years of business????

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Absolute worst E&O coverage... We moved from AXA-XL based on the recommendations of our agent (who just wanted to make a quick commission), and had a very bad experience with Hiscox when it came time to file a claim. Now we're trying to cancel the policy. Awful company, avoid!!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

As SO MANY others have said. They are good UNTIL YOU FILE A CLAIM. They denied coverage for an occurrence that was exactly what I got insurance for in the first place. Please STAY AWAY from HISCOX insurance unless you want to be totally exposed.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I tried to get a quote through Progressive and they redirected to Hiscox insurance for my small business insurance. I first filled everything out and they said it would be real easy. 7 pages later they then asked me to call them. So I did and the agent had no clue about insurance or how to cover mine. They stated they do not cover any business that has a website. I told them I'm a web designer, so are you telling me you don't cover any business. They said no only businesses that do not do business on the web. They discriminate against all businesses that own and operate on the web. Stay away from them at all cost.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

From the start things looked great. They have positive reviews on their site and what brought me to them was the coverage they had recently approved and offered to an identical business. We went ahead with organizing all the other details to launch our business. When we went to bind and pay on the policy they are denying coverage as initially quoted. We were offered an approximate 800% increase to the original premium quoted if we wanted to continue further. I feel like a "Bait & Switch" tactic was employed by this provider. I don't understand how they can write a policy for one business and deny another. There could be some anti-trust issues at stake here that need to be investigated.

Hiscox Small Business Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

Hiscox is a provider of small business insurance. It provides professional business services that let buyers purchase insurance online or over the phone. The Hiscox Group is a global insurer offering over 100 years of experience in insuring businesses.

• Financially strong: Hiscox has an 'A' Excellent rating by A.M. Best, which is a national credit ratings company that focuses on insurance companies.

• Tailored plans: There is not a "one-size-fits-all" plan. Rather, Hiscox tailors small business insurance coverage to each business individual's needs.

• Direct Buy: Hiscox simplifies the procedure by allowing businesses to get quotes and buy insurance directly from the insurer, as well as from licenses advisers.

• Customer service: Because the company does not have local offices, they take extra steps to provide quality service online and through their call center that makes it easy to reach human help.

• Catered to small businesses: The Hiscox Small Business unit specializes in working with professional services businesses with fewer than 10 employees.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor