2.71/5

Need business insurance?

Need business insurance?

State Farm Business Insurance Reviews

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I’d purchased a policy from ** Levi over in N. Canton last year. I have multiple commercial business and rental properties. I paid for the full amount of the policy for the year for both my business and rental properties. I experienced a break in at one of my business and around $5000 of items were stolen, window was busted etc. Filed a claim with State Farm and was treated as if I’d broken the law. Sent receipts, police report and other info, once they got that they needed more paperwork and different receipts? Assigned my claim to an investigator that was very rude and pushy. He also needed me to send the same paperwork and receipts I’d already sent twice (as if my adjuster couldn’t send it to him). It was a nightmare.

Had flood damage in another business, water leaked from an apt upstairs from a broken water line. Same routine. After doing some research (better late than never) I found that this is State Farm’s m.o. Please do your due diligence before wasting your money on a policy from this company. They do any and everything not to pay. I got off easy being only out of a few thousand dollars, I feel sorry for people that it took 30 years to make a claim only to find out the caliber of company this is. Buyer beware.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

My family had a medium sized Auto repair business for over 40 years, with State Farm as our insurance. In 1983, we had a fire, the lowest quotation for the damages was 260,000 dollars. 5 months later a State Farm adjuster showed up with a check for 24,000 dollars. My dad said WTF!!! He said sue us!!! I know 2 businesses right now that are going thru the same thing right now. Do not trust State Farm!! Pure Scum!!!

Get expert buying tips about Business Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Last month, December 2018, I had a breaking in and 3 animals braked in causing a damage of around $2300 and stole $5,300 worth of electronics (cell phones, headphones, and one of my cash register.) Although I had a security system in place and the police officer wrote the report based on objective evidence, State Farm Claim Department refused to fulfill its obligation for this legit claim. They only sent me a check of $388.93, claiming that I failed to also install an alarm system. Imagine how much we are paying those criminals, those insurance mafioso in high premium... and how they always get away with murders because they are sustained by our corrupt government officials. What a shame!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I have a small business with 50 independent contractors and 7 employees. I gave the State Farm agent all my information correctly including a contract stating my independent contractors were responsible for their own insurance wages and jobs tasks that all my employees would be doing and State Farm gave me a fair price for my Workers Compensation Policy. After 2 months State Farm decided that my business wasn't one they wanted to insure, they told me that they weren't going to insure my business anymore. State Farm also sent me 2 time consuming audits that I completed and they said I owed $7,500.00 for their 2 months of insurance after I already paid $700 per month. After they sent me cancellation notices of course I had to find another insurance company, which I did for less money per month and I have been through 2 audits and no problems.

After 2 years State Farm is suing my small business, when I went to file an appearance in the courthouse I was told I cant defend myself so I have to pay a lawyer to file an appearance for me. I received a notice of default and statements saying that also if I lose the case will be responsible for their lawyer's fees which is going to put me and 57 others out of jobs. State Farm knew my intentions of why I needed the worker's compensation insurance and what right do they have to raise their quoted price 600 percent, and then sue you when you don't have the money to pay that.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I had business General Liability Insurance with this State Farm. We choose them because they gave us the lowest quote. Annually they did a payroll audit. After the audit they increased our premium 3 times its original premium quote. They automatically pulled the increased amount from our account. We contested the amount and we never given the detail on why they increased it or any details on the audit. We contacted the agent and then they did something on their end and the premium was decreased for the next year. Then once again we had an annual audit and it was increased by 3 times the original premium amount again. We challenge the amount with the agent and audit and still were not given details. They just stated that it was because the payroll was higher.

We calculated the payroll it was $58k less than the amount that the auditor was saying on the audit. The agent looked into it and went back and forth with the auditor but to no avail. After that we decided to change companies. We they did an audit for the partial year amount and that was also higher than what the actual payroll should have reflected. After we cancelled they sent us to a creditor to collect the amount that they stated that we owed. We told the creditor that we are challenging the amount. We contacted the agent and she began to figure out why they are charging much higher than quoted. When we were applying for new insurance we asked for loss runs report from State Farm and the premium stated on the loss runs is what is in line with the actual premium should have been based on the employee payroll. Yet they are billing us for more than 3 times more.

Stay away from their business insurance. They may give a low quote but they will charge you more at the end of the year. I am going to shift all my lines of insurance from them. I had business insurance, 4 property insurances and 3 car policies with them and they are going to lose all of it because of their deceptive business insurance practices. I should have read the complaints online before I bought it. Buyer beware.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Business Insurance?

Original review: May 22, 2017

Had a policy with for my business for a year. Decided not to renew it because it was a bit overpriced. Spoke to several people, in fact they called me constantly, and told all that I wouldn't be renewing. I was still charged for a month and it went into collections. Not a big deal. Wasn't much money, but it was the first, and last, time I will do business with State Farm.

Original review: April 8, 2017

I held a compliance bond through State Farm for more than 10 years. I needed a financial bond, which was required for me to get a state license for my small construction business, and was turned down, out of hand, for not meeting their financial requirements (barely). Be aware that your loyalty to State Farm means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to them. I will no longer do business through State Farm and will find a more customer oriented insurance company.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

Lack of COMMUNICATION & unprofessionalism. After over 10 years with a local agent whom had our personal home insurance, all personal vehicles, our New Building Insurance, Workman's Comp., and all of our vehicles for our business, it was assumed by our agent that we would know our increases, know when an audit was happening, know that the business owners were not exempt on our Workman's Comp. policy, and know that the most unprofessional emails would be sent when cancelling a policy due to his unprofessionalism and arrogance that he portrayed. We have immediately found another very professional and courteous agent to take care of all of our policies, over 10 of them. I have never nor will ever deal with State Farm Ins. again.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

The staff are very friendly and professional. They gave me an insurance package that fit my business needs that was tailored just for my fit. Car, home, life insurance are all services offered by State Farm. Also bonds and liability insurance for my company. They also have fire and flood too. The cost of business insurance isn't cheap. But I have coverage for a million dollars so it's worth it to spend the extra money to make sure I am covered for any job I do. I really can not comment regarding the claims process because I have never had to file a claim yet. But everything else they do is great so I am positive I would be happy.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

The insurance company people are always so respectful and helpful if I have any questions. Every time I have a question the insurance company people answer it without a problem. I have never had a bad experience yet with the customer service. The variety isn't the greatest but it has everything you need. I am pretty satisfied with the variety. It might not the greatest but it still is enough to satisfied me. The price is between the high side and the low side but it's not too much. I wish it was a little lower. Sometimes I have a hard times paying it. The claim process is very simple to do. Everyone is understanding when I have to do a claim. I have never had a problem with my claiming process.

State Farm Business Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is a trusted name in business insurance, and it works with small businesses to provide a variety of financial products and resources nationwide. State Farm has been in business since 1922, and it now has over 65,000 employees around the U.S.

• Reputable: State Farm has a great reputation for providing business solutions and assistance with over 82 million policies and accounts throughout the United States.

• Variety: State Farm offers a variety of financial products for small businesses, including property and liability insurance, commercial vehicle, workers compensation and more.

• Business Life Cycle: It has a practical Business Life Cycle plan that helps account for the ways small businesses change and grow through the years, and it adapts insurance programs to that plan.

• Business analysis: Agents work with small businesses to analyze their exact needs, and they can tailor plans to their unique industries.

• Office locations: State Farm has locations across the United States, and it is easy to find a nearby office to speak with an agent in person.

• Best for: State Farm is best for business owners who need a lot of background information on insurance policie, and for those who prefer dealing with insurance companies face-to-face.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky