Find a Health Insurance partner

Help me decide

3.8/5 (185 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Golden Rule

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Golden Rule Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Golden Rule?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Golden Rule?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Great insurance if you never use it! I was in a horrible motorcycle accident in August, come December they were no longer offering me insurance. I was in the early stages of rehabilitation and thanks to them not following through I am disabled for the rest of my life when I could’ve easily went back to work if they would have not dropped me when I needed them. This company showed me they only cared about the money and not my well being!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

This company SUCKS! Their website is ALWAYS down. I can never check my information online. The pharmacy says my medical card can’t be used. Only they provide is a discount perk to use that lowers the cost. Ridiculous

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I have had low back degenerative arthritic changes for years. The pain initially was manageable with NSAIDs. Eventually, I developed GERD from the long term NSAID usage and now am on ** as a result. I then had so much pain that I had difficulty sleeping and functioning normally in daily life. Just standing up straight was difficult for me. I have had MRI that verifies the disc degeneration L4-L5, L5-S1. With the NSAIDs now contraindicated, my pain management physician at Cleveland Clinic administered bi-lateral Facet injections on both sides of both joints. The injections gave me great relief and restored a normal level of function for me. Golden Rule has been my health insurance through the entire time. They covered the procedures for me 4 different times over a 4 year period.

This summer, I got my injections for a fifth time and have been contacted by Golden Rule and told the procedure is medically unnecessary and they refuse to cover the fee from Cleveland Clinic for the same procedure they had deemed medically necessary 4 times in the past. I am currently trying the get them to reconsider as I have no other options other than just have the chronic pain or step up to narcotics long term. These are the kind of unreasonable schemes this company has begun to employ. Do not select them as your healthcare insurer.

Original review: July 27, 2021

I didn’t even get approved before I asked to withdraw my application. I was on the phone for over an hour being transferred back and forth to just CHECK my application status. This is a joke. Like. What a total joke, get it together.

Original review: April 5, 2021

I paid $200 dollars a month and learned after going in for a simple check up that they do not cover wellness exams so I now owe my doctor $400 for a single visit. What was I paying $200/month for?? Not even the very basics.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I paid $200 for health insurance so when I went in to see the doctor 3 weeks later they told me I had to wait 6 months to be seen so I called to cancel that same day. Someone told me I would be fully refunded so after a week I didn't review anything I called them and they said they wouldn't refund it. Only $8 bucks would be refunded so I asked where my $200 was since they hadn't even done anything to take my money but I was given the runaround. They are thieves. Do not pay into these scammers.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

I purchased a plan for 2020 to supplement or cover the the deductible of my primary health plan. I was concerned when no copy of the policy could be provided. No ID card. Only a phone number. Unfortunately in April I was diagnosed with a hernia brought on by heavy work I had done in Feb. and March. For 3 months of repeated phone calls, and sending copies of bills and medical records multiple times I got a different person on the phone and a different story each time. Yesterday I was informed that my hernia was not an "accident" therefore not covered. Clearly they think I intentionally got a hernia. I suggest that the customer service process is atrocious as is the decision making. There is no way to speak or contact anyone with authority. But they took my premium every month. I do not recommend purchasing anything from this company. I suggest that anyone who sells policies from this company reconsider on a moral honesty basis.

Original review: July 18, 2020

I recently went in for a colonoscopy, which required a follow up CT scan and bloodwork. While at the hospital, I was told my insurance had been canceled and would not cover anything done that day. I had to go ahead and get the tests done. When I got home I looked at my bank statement and the premium from Golden Rule had been taken out the previous week, so I called and they said my coverage was active. When I told them the hospital confirmed it wasn't he said he didn't know what to tell me. So I'm left hanging. Someone is lying or too lazy to look into the problem. This company charges me and arm and leg each month and doesn't hardly cover anything anyway. Now I am diagnosed with a condition that will prevent me from finding another company who will take me.

I am not happy with this service or coverage from the beginning. There's a $25,000 out of pocket per year I have to pay before they cover a small percentage of anything, they do not cover any prescriptions, I have no dental, no vision, and they charge me nearly $500 a month premium. It's ridiculous. If I could go back, I'd never settle for this company. Don't let them fool you into signing up. They are not what they seem.

Original review: April 15, 2020

Since the Coronavirus Pandemic has started Golden Rule Insurance has been charging my credit card for my insurance premium. The plan I have is a basic plan, which covers cleaning, cavities, and little else. I called and spoke to a customer representative and was informed either I keep paying my monthly premium, or cancel it. She gave me an option of freezing my account for 60 days, but when reactivated I'd have to pay the previous 2 months and the current month. Basically I'm being told, "Continue paying your monthly premium," EVEN KNOW I CANNOT USE THE INSURANCE BECAUSE DENTIST OFFICE ARE CLOSED!!

This is FRAUD by Golden Rule Insurance company!!! I'm extremely dissatisfied with Golden Rule's service, and will NEVER use their Insurance again. BTW, I'm a small business owner, so this will not be the only policy we will be cancelling. To take advantage of hard working individuals at time like this wrong and immoral!!! Coronavirus has revealed the true ethics and reasons for being in business for Golden Rule, PURE PROFIT with no regard for the individual they insure!!

Original review: March 4, 2020

Don’t waste your money, this insurance won’t cover anything even if your policy is a full coverage. In April 2019 I was hospitalized and had a surgery. They have only paid my medical pill $436 and left me with 19k to pay out of my pocket to the hospital. To this day they been saying there was a mistake. It is the other way around. "You're suppose to $436 and we pay the rest." Oh well insurance don’t want to pay. Anything you see on their website is just total scam. Just canceled. They don’t provide you with confirmation number, still to this day pull money of my account. 4 months a row and I’m struggling with this cancellation. Called customer service and they come at me that’s my policy is canceled and there is nothing they can do and I should just contact the bank. This is very frustrating.

Golden Rule Company Information