Golden Rule

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have never written a review about a company before but felt an overwhelming need to let other consumers know about the terrible service I have received from Golden Rule Insurance Company. As you may have read from all the other reviews regarding Golden Rule, they do not pay any of their claims citing "pre-existing conditions" as the reason for their denial. I submitted a claim after a hospitalization and after more than 6 months of reviewing my past medical records, they have denied my claim as a pre-existing condition.

Although I had never sought care for this ailment before and had been experiencing symptoms for only a week prior to my obtaining Golden Rule health insurance, they still cite in their policy that a prudent person would have sought care immediately and because I did not that qualifies as a pre-existing condition. Who goes to the doctor when experiencing symptoms for pain for a few days? Most "prudent" people take an over the counter pain reliever or use a heating pad to try a resolve what was thought of as a muscle strain. Unfortunately, I did not read through consumer reviews before purchasing this insurance and I do not want the same thing to happen to you!!! It is beyond my comprehension how this company can have an A rating with the BBB.

I am appealing their decision and plan to continue to fight my case as far as necessary and urge other in this situation to do so. Please tell all you friends, family and business associates to heed the reviews regarding Golden Rule as they are not the ramblings of a few angry people but an exact replica of what has been my experience with them. As other consumers have stated, they most certainly take your monthly premium but cover nothing. As a subsidiary of United Healthcare, I urge you to also boycott any business with United Healthcare too. Be warned, it is not worth it to join Golden Rule as they will not cover any claim you have no matter what the situation.

They do not cover anything! Even if it says it is in the network. Will not cover. Call them too saying it was all mistakes but they are not doing anything. Even a simple doctor visit they will not cover. Wish I could report them even more because they stole 3 months of my money! DO NOT USE AT ANY COST!

Don't do it--it's a waste of money. They deny everything and choke them up to pre-existing??? Nothing gets covered and all they do is take money for nothing.

I thought I was saving money by having a plan without mental health coverage. I had a blood test for a suspected genetic defect (which was positive) and a panel of bloodwork relevant to this condition. With my physician I have often talked about low energy and depression. But, it seems that Golden Rule feels like sticking a needle in your arm and drawing blood counts as mental health. I could see this if maybe I was being tested for mood stabilizer levels or the blood test was for antidepressant responsiveness, but it was not. What a scam.

Upon my first dispute, they called me and asked me to retract the dispute as the health records did not arrive and that they would reopen it as soon as they got the records. They never called or wrote. Hospital bills started coming in and I wrote the hospital to hold on as I was supposed to be in a dispute. I called the insurance company and they acted like everything was resolved. But, we went through the process again and I filled in the consent form for health information release and then within a couple of weeks they wrote that they closed it again as they did not have the information. It seemed pretty hasty. I got in touch with my physician's office and told them that it wasn't reaching them for some reason and I filled out more consent forms for the release of health information.

After time passed, they eventually acknowledged receiving the paperwork and they just denied it again. Meanwhile debt collectors are now calling me and even got my parents' number. What a disaster! I thought when a policy said that laboratory work was covered, they would cover laboratory work. The best decision I have made in a long time was to drop Golden Rule as soon as possible. Our healthcare and insurance systems are such a disaster in this country now.

My wife has Golden Rule Coverage. I am disabled and even though she works for a healthcare provider her position is outsourced without healthcare benefits.

Golden Rule has raised her rates three times in the last 3 years, now more than doubling the original premium. Her policy also has a $10000 deductible and now cost her $450 per month for a policy she hardly uses. The Obamacare mandate does not offer protection for the consumer. These companies can raise their rates with no data to justify the increase, just a letter to inform you of the rate hike.

The ceo of United Healthcare the parent company of Golden Rule profited 102 million and 66 million dollars in salary and compensation in 2 recent years. The ceo Stephen Hemsley has surely profited from Obamacare while the declining middle class struggles to make ends meet. Don't believe anything Hillary Clinton says for what has the Clintons done but reap huge monetary rewards from speeches they offer to these healthcare conglomerates. The mass media does not even cover these premium increases that affect so many as they seem to offer their time for the LGBT movement.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Golden Rule?

I have been with Golden Rule since 2005. I am finding the increase in premiums tough so I called up (45 minute wait) and asked to have deductible increased and premium reduced. This was Oct 2016. In December 2015 it was still the same so I called again. (53 min wait) I asked what happened to the change I requested. She said sorry, she could see where I had called and was not sure why nothing changed. She was very nice and promised to change it straight away. Jan 2016, the same thing only this time (1 hour and 12 Minutes wait) she apologized and thanked me for my patience and said she would immediately change it and stop any collections of premiums to make sure the change was done.

Today Feb 22nd, they still took to the original premium, online show my deductible is still the same?? I don't know what else to do. Do I call again and waste another hour of my time? Please help. I have no idea how to correct this unless I physically go to my bank and put a stop payment on this. Then I would have no insurance! How can they treat people like this? I am trying to do the right thing but lost with company that takes an hour to answer the phone and does nothing.

They dropped my dental insurance after 2 years of worst service ever and still take money out of my account for second month now.

This is just the worst group of scam artists online. When you cancel a policy what they don't tell you is that you might have secondary policy for something else that won't be canceled - and they will continue to charge you without your permission. Good luck trying to get someone on the phone or someone who can find your account. But if you stop the payment BAM you will get a non-payment letter in the mail the next day along with lots of additional fees for "Bank Funds". OH, the best part, they refuse to send digital copies of any cancellation letters... so things can get "lost in the mail" and there will be electronic trail. Just shameful. Don't make the mistake I did.

For the past two months I have been fighting the insurance for a specialty medication and have had no luck. This medicine is a necessity for me, otherwise I break out in abscesses. For the past two weeks now my doctor has notified me that my Humira injection syringe has been approved. When I call the pharmacy (OptumRx) they tell me I have been rejected. Then I try to call the insurance and no one answers. Every time I call the number on the back of the card it will take me through a couple automated questions then tell me "for unexpected circumstances we cannot take your call at this time".

This is about the tenth time I've called my doctor only for her to tell me it has been approved. The cycle continues. I am very upset with this insurance company. I am glad I found this blog because I was honestly was becoming vulgar towards the employees. I felt bad until I read other people's experiences with this so called insurance company. Please, for your own well-being, do not use this insurance company unless you enjoy panic attacks.

Applied for Golden Rule on December 17. They sent paperwork and took payment on December 29th showing approval. They never informed me until the 29th it went through. However, the coverage stopped the 16th of January. This for a month policy - short term.

Every single freaking time I call to ask a simple question I am put on hold for minimum 40 minutes. In fact my doctor's office had called them to verify my new insurance and even they had to finally hang up because of the ridiculous hold time.

If you have a problem, if they do not receive a payment (they are missing two of mine) the number they give you to calls says that you have to wait 30 minutes... I have been on hold for an hour and ten minutes and they have not picked me up. It is 2:56 in the afternoon. I went to the pediatrician and they would not see my son because of no insurance. I checked the website and they are missing payments that I sent. Because of their ridiculous long hold times, I had to pay cash and because they will not pick up and I have no insurance, what are we supposed to do? How can they treat us this way. I pay 414.00 a month to this company.

I live in a remote small town high in the Colorado Rockies. It can be dangerous to drive in winter storm conditions. In the past I needed Physical Therapy and had requested and been approved to use a local, but out-of-network PT provider. The in-network providers are well over 50 miles away (they're criteria for acceptable distance to travel) at 68 and 111 miles respectively, yet their system erroneously shows them as within 50 miles, so they have now twice denied my current request for an exception.

I now must write a written appeal (after hours devoted to waiting on the phone (20-30 minutes avg wait) to speak to a rep to request the exception). Now I must continue the appeal, and lose more time away from therapy. It makes NO SENSE to deny this request when they gave the exception before. They have refused other necessary medical services in the past as well.

Watch this company like a hawk. My wife had an interim policy while getting a new job, had an accident, and renewed. Though assured coverage was continuous, the company claimed pre-existing condition. Now, we're stuck with huge bills for surgery, rehab, etc. Record everything, save every piece of paper and keep notes. They talk a good game, take your money and then pull the rug out from under you. The only good outcome will be if the American public grows to hate the insurance companies more than the Congress and Federal government and agitates for sensible health care.

Needed to find out my newborn benefits under the 30 day coverage. The wait period to the correct department and/or person was at least 20 minutes. I was transferred 8 times, never got my question answered. This company needs investigation.

I just don't know what you do about short term insurance. I bought a policy for a month and then had it extended to the end of the second month. Got a cancellation notice that didn't include the extended time. Calling is a nightmare. The IVR wasn't working so I couldn't tell if my policy actually had lapsed. No one answers the phone at all on weekends. There is no chat. I am just glad I wasn't filing a claim. I can't imagine what a nightmare that would be.

My son suffered a spinal cord injury in a rollover accident on 10/10/2015. He is being treated at Craig Hospital in Colorado. He has Catastrophic medical coverage with United Health Care and has had it for 6 years. They have refused to pay for his wheelchair. He has no movement in his left leg below the hip and only some muscle movement in his upper right thigh. The hospital has told us that they stopped paying 3 days ago. My son is only 4 1/2 weeks post surgery. His policy is suppose to cover 60 days inpatient care. Craig hospital hates dealing with United Health Care. Hospital don't have the manpower to fight insurance companies so they just work around it. If you have coverage with United Health Care be prepare to hire an attorney to hold them to their contract.

Went to the doctor and they said I had to pay the full amount of the visit. The nurses told me I had a 10,000 dollar deductible. So I had to pay for the visit. It would take the rest of my life to meet the deductible. What a rip off, they are just stealing your money. Better Business Bureau A-plus certified my ass. They will be getting an irate call from tomorrow morning. God bless.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I just got a hold of a customer service rep. I told them I was canceling and he offered no resistance. No "If You Go Away", no singing that ballad in French for effect. And I'm getting a REFUND! A $450.00 Refund! Life is good. No More Gouges!

maureenbrill4@gmail.com of Chicago, IL on

Original Review

Today, I am canceling my insurance, being put on hold after being disconnected. They have been GOUGING ME $550.00 from my checking account. I'm SICK of their long hold times, I'm SICK OF THEM!

Golden Rule took advantage of automatic withdrawal that was set up during the period of time when I had health insurance and continued to make withdrawal even after the insurance was canceled due to starting of Medicare.

I lost my health insurance 2/28/15 because we moved from NY to FL. 1/30/15 I was diagnosed with severe diverticulitis and was bedridden. My husband had an agent visit our home for possible coverage for me. He came twice, 2/1/15 and 2/4/15. The agent knew I was suffering from a pre existing issue, and sold my husband this policy for me. Long story short I have over $50,000.000 in medical bills for 3/1/15 to 5/1/15 and they refuse to cover anything. The agent, R. ** from Fort Myers had no right selling my husband this policy for me knowing my condition, for which the agent was fully aware of. He did not tell my husband that the pre existing condition would not be covered. I was so sick and on a lot of pain medication. I came from bed only to sign the contract, and not reading any fine print given my condition. This agent should not be allowed to sell health insurance, and now we will be paying on these bills for the rest of our lives!

I was advised my dental policy had been cancelled on 4/5/15. On 5/7/15 I was charged $58.59 for this cancelled policy. On 5/7/15 I called 1-800-657-8205 to discuss this charge to the cancelled policy. I spoke with "**". ** advised me the policy was still active and to referred me to "www.myuhcdental.com" to assist in locating a dentist in my area. This website was of no assistance. On 5/7/15 I called 1-800-816-3596 for further assistance and spoke with "**". ** advised me that this policy had been cancelled on 4/5/15 and the website that ** had referred me to was no longer active and to go to "www.yyuhone.com". I then requested to speak to a departmental supervisor due to conflicting information.

On 5/7/15 I spoke with "supervisor **" and relayed all the information to him, to which his reply was "ummm-humm". ** advised me that Golden Rule Insurance were the brokers that sold this plan to me and that United Health Care were the ones that administered the benefits. ** advised me to call Golden Rule Insurance @ 1-800-657-8205. On 5/7/15 I called 1-800-657-8205 as ** instructed me to do. AND this number referred me back to United Health Care and once again I am talking to "**". ** advised me she would keep me on the line as she spoke with the "Benefits" division and after 5 minutes ** came back on the line to advise me that their Benefits division showed this dental policy was cancelled on 4/5/15 but no one could find who requested the policy cancellation.

On 5/7/15, ** advised me that she would have a "Specialist" contact me in reference to their mistakes. So as of 5/7/15, I have been charged $58.59 for a cancelled policy. And due to this erroneous charge my account is now overdrawn and I have been charged overdraft fees to my account. I advised **, ** and ** that I wished for this policy to be cancelled and for all charges to be refunded to me and none of these representatives could do that for me. There is no responsible parties at this business to cancel and refund!!!

This is truly unbelievable. This company charged my card before even approving the policy or premium. Steer far away from United Golden Rule. I went with another company which was more but they didn't charge me first.

Please be aware that you may turn to this company for cheaper insurance but what they don't tell you is that it do not have the requirements need to not be fined by Obama Care. This company is a waste of money and time. I never even received my dental cards so they claimed that they told me to call United. They never told me that at all. In fact they told me they would send it. I should have read the fine print. I went back to Obama Care and got a better deal than I did on this crappy insurance. I thought I was saving but the truth is I got duked.

The company offered a short term that I didn't need. I, not knowing, gave the company a payment $130.91 for the month of January. I am calling to request my money but no one is responding. I feel they are a scam.

Just doing end of year paperwork. Lucky to have great health but just noticing that I paid Golden Rule $4400 this year. They paid 0 out in any payments. Reminds me of my mom's favorite expression - "laughing all the way to the bank!"

They should not be allowed to be a Practice Company. When I first bought the policy, I was under the appreciation that I would get my money since it was saving like plan. I thought get my money back when I cancel, they said no, only if I made payment from the time I canceled. Oh I am pissed. They ripped off quite a bit of money. They lie to their customers. I want my money back. I only used them one time and they only paid for half.

Just received letter 1 day after midterm elections that my premium was being raised. I have had my policy since August of 2012 and have paid $322.00 monthly. They now tell me that they have to comply with the Affordable Health Act and my premium beginning 2015 will be $995.00 monthly, a 209% monthly increase. Have called and received the usual answers, "We don't know, we have to comply".

We had several claims and they were fair every time. One very large catastrophic claim in particular was paid without any problems. They have always been fair. They will never make any money on us as they paid some large claims but that is how insurance works. I will not change insurance carriers even if I could save a few dollars a year in premiums. They are not perfect but neither is anyone else. People expect too much from medical insurance. Think about it, if insurance companies did not make a profit then there would be no medical insurance available and then where would we all be?

Get lied to. I have gotten the run around. Was lied to about the monthly cost. And they drafted money out of my account without my permission.

Golden Rule Company Profile