Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
1.15/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

100 Golden Rule Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 1, 2019

Golden Rule, offered through UnitedHealthcare Company, is a terrible plan. They cover almost nothing and they make it extremely difficult to purchase a plan. Additionally, they will not let you rollover your plan. DO NOT BUY THROUGH GOLDEN RULE!

Original review: April 30, 2019

I had them and I was diagnosed with diabetes and they dropped me. They don't buy for hardly anything. My diabetes test struts they would only pay for two dollars of it. This is the biggest joke since Obamacare.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I bought this insurance In September. Thought it was good according to salesman. What a joke. Had skin cancer surgery in January and they paid 800 out of over 11000. Called them. They said with my plan that's what they pay. Thanks for screwing me Golden Rule.

Original review: March 21, 2019

The great thing about having a policy with a large network is the contracted rates you get on all covered services. We've experienced discounts of up to 75% and 80% with United Healthcare. However, UnitedHealthOne (underwritten by Golden Rule) is nothing like United Healthcare. The discounted rates on covered services are minimal, maybe 10% to 15% overall. Then, since it's an indemnity plan, they're only paying out a pre-set amount per claim, which is typically just a fraction of the bill you'll receive from the provider. Don't fall prey to the attraction of low premiums. You'll be sorry when the enormous medical bills come rolling in. PS - They don't send you EOBs unless you request them, and then they have the audacity to charge you $25 after the first 10.

Original review: March 5, 2019

James installed our furnace & air conditioner. He is a very hard worker & does the job right. He is friendly, courteous & helpful. He help us with programming details and any other concerns we had. Even after the job is done he still will help with question etc. Would recommend him & Golden Rule to others.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Golden Rule?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Had Golden Rule for a secondary insurance. It was a minimal plan. I filed a claim for an office visit. Only claiming a 100.00 and the red tape was awful. I gave them statement detailed and talked with them on the phone and they said they needed info on my wife. I sent that. And on and on. I only had the policy for about a year. Paid 4000.00. All I wanted was a lousy 100.00 which they said the plan paid once a year. Golden Rule is a joke, rip off, scam co.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

This company is absolutely horrible, it takes at least 30 minutes to get anyone on the phone. I hate them so badly and resent that this FOR PROFIT company is providing customers with such terrible service. MAYBE PAY YOUR C_SUITE LESS AND HIRE MORE CALL REPS. Absolutely useless.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I explained that I needed short term ins. including drug coverage. Agent went over my meds. Said, "YES, you are all covered." I asked again to make sure! NP! Then when it came time to use, IT IS A DISCOUNT CARD! Doesn’t cover a thing. Couldn’t cancel the vision. Have to keep for 1 year! And not use. Horrible company. I’m still shocked. They have treated me and others this way. I sure wish I would have seen these complaints prior!!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Do your due diligence and ask the right questions. Primrose failed to mention we couldn’t use our plan for six months and when I tried reaching back out to her numerous times via phone and email, she refused to get back to me. I simply wanted answers. I guess my first red flag should have been when I requested policy literature and never received it (mailed to the wrong address of course).

The plan we had was a complete joke and I cancelled our plan immediately once I learned that I had been sold a bill of goods that served no purpose in the short term. Now, my family might be without insurance completely until open enrollment later this year thanks to Primrose’s brutal dishonesty. So thank you Golden Rule for my first official dose of being screwed over since moving to Florida.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Signed up on August 22, paid my premium and set up automatic payments for a three month plan. I had to get some testing done on September 9. I was contacted January 12. They told me they were not covering anything and my plan Is null and void. Then I received close to $14,000 in bills from the hospital that I have to come out of pocket and pay for. Healthcare is a joke. I’m going to expire naturally. I had a good run. Signed dead man walking.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I have been on hold for 1:47:19 waiting to speak to a representative so I can add my son to our dental plan. There is still no end in sight! I’m feeling panicked now as, at some point, I’m going to have to go on with my life. This seems excessive! And I feel helpless because I need help today. Now it’s 1:49:41.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I purchased Golden Rule medical insurance after losing my job. This is the 4th medical insurance I've purchased in 2018. I was promised full coverage with pharmacy, dental & vision coverage. One medication cost me $400. For a 3 month supply, & other prescriptions were not covered at all. I avoided going to any dr., because I knew nothing would be paid for. On Jan. 3, 2019, I began the process of trying to cancel this insurance, after securing insurance through the marketplace. What a nightmare: I was redirected to other phone numbers & placed on hold for hours, & spent days on my mission to cancel coverage. As of 1/7/2019, I am still uncertain whether they canceled this plan. I "have" to continue the vision plan for 1 year according to the "fine print" in the contract. Very negative experience with Golden Rule insurance.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

4 days AFTER the open enrollment period ended, Golden Rule sent notice of a rate hike. After looking at the other reviews here, I realize I have experienced a lot of the same things: denial of coverage despite premium being withdrawn, no RX plan, extremely long telephone wait to talk to a customer service rep, and not being able to access online account due to faulty ID or other reasons.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

They changed the TERM DATE. Didn't even give me a reason why they cancel me. All I did was visit the Gyn/OB doctor on Tuesday 11/27/2018. I called the customer service... she said my insurance is still good. And I can use it until December the 1st. I even printed out the Medical Coverage Summary. The term date was 12/31/2018. Now they changed to 11/01/2018. I emailed them, if I get a medical bill that stated that they didn't pay anything... I will sue them. I am so glad I printed out the Medical Coverage Summary off the internet... I will show the Judge this paper. And I also copied the conversation from TTY Relay between me and the customer service.

All I have to do is show these papers to the JUDGE... and have him to force them to pay my medical bill... which isn't even $1,000. How is visiting a doctor and getting lab work blood test a $1,000??? Which it won't meet the deductible... unless my doctor told them that she is planning to do surgery on me... and they got chicken out. The customer service said something about pre-existing condition. "This policy is in a pre-existing and contestable period throughout the time of the policy."

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

This company is listed as one of the MANY subsidiaries of United Health Care. When signing up for health coverage, the online process is very similar to the one for obtaining marketplace insurance so things appear legitimate. A letter is promptly mailed with just an insurance card and no prescription card, yet the plan offers prescription coverage (Red Flag). When calling the customer service line, an automated prompt reads off the information that would be on your prescription card (if you had actually received it), but when you bring that information to the pharmacy, the RxBin number is invalid (Red Flag). When calling to "enroll" for coverage, someone answers the line immediately. When a doctor's office calls to verify coverage, all they ask for is your date of birth and they proceed to state your member ID number and when your coverage is good until (but you must wait 30+ minutes to speak to someone) (Red Flag).

When you submit the claim for that doctor's appointment, barely anything is covered. I received one EOB statement with a small check - my name was spelled correctly and my member ID number was correct. I was able to deposit it with no problems. On the EOB statement, however, your name appears in two places - one for the mailing address window and the other for the account holder information. My name is spelled correctly on the mailing address side, yet is missing the last letter in the account holder information (Red Flag). Anytime I have tried to call to get this resolved, I am on hold for at least an hour, even though I am given a 30 minute wait time. I have lost over $25,000 to this fraudulent company and I still have not been able to get the matter resolved. Stay away from this company by all means.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Golden Rule, a unit of United Healthcare, has no trouble taking your money for their short-term health insurance. I was between jobs, recently laid off. I could not afford COBRA, so I went with a short term policy. Unfortunately, I was admitted to the hospital for four days due to a critical illness. My credit card was charged 5 days before the policy start date. Unfortunately, there is a 5-6 day hold on the policy which Golden Rule does not tell you. You have accident insurance on the first day of coverage, but don't have health insurance until the sixth day.

To make a long story short, they refused to pay any of the claims and waited until the last day of coverage to decline the claims. (It's a 90 day policy.) They said the hospitalization was related to a pre-existing condition. Anyway, I got stuck with all the bills at the uninsured cost. (40 times what UHC contract price is). I called the state insurance commissioner's office and they helped get them to reconsider the claims. The state insurance commissioner helped them to understand what they did was an unfair business practice.

They do not care about your circumstances and treat their customers who file a claim like garbage. I used my 401k money to pay this policy. They should be ashamed of themselves. I can understand why people get financially wiped out from health problems. It's worse when you think you have insurance and do not. When they do not pay the claims, the doctors and the hospitals treat you like dirt too.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I've been on hold for more than an hour, and I made sure to call at 1 PM MST, as to avoid all the East Coast calls after 5 PM. This did not prove helpful. It's funny how they answer on the first ring when you try to sign up. They sent me the entire wrong packet with another person's personal info including the entire family's info and SSNs... then refuse to answer when I try to cancel. I wish I could have given zero stars.

Original review: July 17, 2018

They were suppose to cancel my vision plan in February of 2018 after I told them to cancel my dental, medical, and vision plans in October 2017. They canceled two and told me the other would be canceled in February 2018. They continued to bill me and didn't cancel the plan at all until I called again this morning. Avoid them at all costs and go with a company that actually knows what they're doing. Their plans were horrendous anyway. If you want something affordable and good service, you won't find it at Golden Rule/United HealthOne.

Original review: June 5, 2018

They overcharged me $1,498.60. They charge after benefit ends. It is impossible to reach anyone on the phone and solve this. I was on hold yesterday for 40 min. and had to disconnect. Today I am trying again and was on hold for 30 min. after listening whole lecture and choosing half a dozen times and not sure at all I can get my money back. They are thieves - as simple as that. This is scam. I wish I knew that before applying for coverage. Please read reviews and don't make my mistake.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I wanted to buy a good and reasonable insurance for myself when I came across this insurance company. I called them and a lady answered the phone, she will probably be in her early sixties. She was so nice and ask me a lot of questions which I answered politely. When I ask her questions about the insurance especially the package of the insurance that I am paying for, I ask if the insurance will cover doctor's visit and if I can have access to doctor's office in my area, she said yes I will access doctors.

Few days after paying for the insurance I called their customer service to ask again if I can have access to doctor in my area. The lady that answered the phone said she would check for me and after few minutes she said that my coverage will not allow me to access any doctor. I ask her to terminate my contract with them and promised to give me a full refund. They already deducted about $95 from my account, When I received the refund check in my mail they only return $12.48. This company is a total scam, they will lie to you that you will have access to doctors and even tell you that you can terminate your agreement with them at anytime with full refund, only to take your money and never give a full refund. This people need to face the law with its full consequences.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I enrolled in gap benefits for three months, and was only supposed to be charged three times. I was charged twice in one month, again the next month, and again, a month after my benefits had ended. I will be calling until that money is back in my account, and never again will I make the mistake of enrolling in insurance with this Ponzi Scheme.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

This was the worst insurance company I have ever encountered. First they said it was UnitedHealthOne when it was actually some weird insurance called Golden Rule. They told me my plans would end on 12/30/18 and then they kept taking money out. They never sent me my 1095. I could never get in touch with anyone on the phone. In order to end my insurance on the time designated I had to file an appeal by fax. Did I mention that my login never worked and that they never sent my 1095. Run as fast as you can from this company, they are the worst!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Horrible insurance. You have to pay out of pocket for any doctors visits, your deductible is 5000 which is ridiculous and the prescription rx prices are horrible. It's also not part of the Affordable Care Act and cannot be deducted on your write offs. If you decide to get this lousy insurance, make sure you DO NOT get short term, get long term. Why? Because if your blood sugar comes up a little high ONE TIME, which happens to a lot of people every blue moon, they will drop you for a pre-diabetes diagnosis which we all know pre-diabetes is a joke. The blood test after my slightly high sugar blood test results came back PERFECT and that doesn't matter to them. You cannot appeal. Well, I did but it was a waste of time for me and my doctors office.

For how awful the deductible and coverage is, their underwriting guidelines is one of the worst in the business. I'm healthier than the majority of people weighing in at 184 lbs at 5'11" with low cholesterol, sugar and perfect organ health and vitamin levels and was denied coverage when I went to get reinstated for another short term plan. God forbid somebody has type 2 diabetes, DON'T EVEN WASTE YOUR TIME APPLYING. Shame on you United Health for your narrow minded, terribly strict underwriting guidelines that has lousy coverage to go with it. It makes no sense.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Not sure why anyone would go with these guys. Their robot calls day and night and I've never had insurance through them. So the fact that they buy people's information so that they can solicit business tells you how great of a company they are. Just hope they don't get your phone number...

Original review: March 24, 2017

Look I don't know much about the actual health care here, it's the insurance I have always had since my parents set me up on it, but I generally seem to have to pay out of pocket for everything. These guys don't like to cover anything it seems. My biggest issue is their phone lines. I have been on many 1(800) automated systems in my life, they are annoying, some are a runaround, but THIS ONE takes the cake, I cannot express to you how impossible it was to get a live person to talk to.

First it gives give you a LONG intro about how to properly enter your ID #, which you can't seem to skip. Next it READS THE ENTIRE # back to you. Press 1 to confirm. Now it reads you this LONG message about the IRS and a 1095 tax form, complete waste of my time. Next new menu press 1 - medical providers, 2 - current customers, 3 application status, 4 quotes, 5 insurance brokers, 6 prescription drug cards, 8 all other callers. Obviously I press 2. This gives me a long explanation of how to access information online, followed by another 90% identical tax speech.

The next menu contains information all out of order matching the #s... Press 4- to cancel policy, *- same as 6 from before, 1- premium billing options, 2- change social cc #, 3- questions about claim or how insurance works, 5- obtain a new ID card, 6- update name or address, 7 - update on privacy, 8- mailing press 9, 0- all other questions. I pressed 3 to find out more info about my insurance. Next is some other menu in a man's voice now about some total other garbage. Finally starts to rattle off basically the EXACT same options as the first 2 menus.

Next menu asks you to enter your birthday. I enter mine, and it tells my because I am over 18 information cannot be disclosed over the phone, like it thinks I am a medical provider even though I started this whole thing with being a current customer (press 2) it sends me back to enter in my member I'd # then birthday, SAME EXACT MESSAGE, you have to hang up.

Start over, menu choose option 8, instead of 2, takes you to 2 more menus that take you make to menu 1. Start over, try option 3, takes me to another male voice menu but finally it says I am on hold and gives a callback feature, FINALLY... something of this era. Lady calls back in less than 7 minutes, gets all my info again, and has to transfer me to another menu just like the first one, but slightly different, LISTEN CAREFULLY, WOULDN'T WANT TO START OVER AGAIN,

I finally get through to a real person in the right department. Seriously though I could have gone into much further detail about these menus, but I decided I wanted to waste less of my time half way through, This has been enough of a runaround to make me take my first step in looking for a new insurance company. Morons.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I used Golden Rule insurance as a short-term option until my company gave me medical insurance. I only used them for a month as not to have a lapse in insurance coverage. I noticed that I had not received a 1095-C from them at tax time to prove that I was covered. When I called the company I was told by two rude woman that I was not entitled to this because the coverage that I had did not fulfill what the government requires. Excuse me? I paid almost 300.00 to be covered for the month and now I'm being told I didn't have enough coverage? This is a scam considering the website claims that this is the reason for taking short term coverage.(Bridge gaps in times of transition to avoid penalty). I am in the process of filing a report with the BBB and other agencies to look into this deceitful company.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

I have never written a review about a company before but felt an overwhelming need to let other consumers know about the terrible service I have received from Golden Rule Insurance Company. As you may have read from all the other reviews regarding Golden Rule, they do not pay any of their claims citing "pre-existing conditions" as the reason for their denial. I submitted a claim after a hospitalization and after more than 6 months of reviewing my past medical records, they have denied my claim as a pre-existing condition.

Although I had never sought care for this ailment before and had been experiencing symptoms for only a week prior to my obtaining Golden Rule health insurance, they still cite in their policy that a prudent person would have sought care immediately and because I did not that qualifies as a pre-existing condition. Who goes to the doctor when experiencing symptoms for pain for a few days? Most "prudent" people take an over the counter pain reliever or use a heating pad to try a resolve what was thought of as a muscle strain. Unfortunately, I did not read through consumer reviews before purchasing this insurance and I do not want the same thing to happen to you!!! It is beyond my comprehension how this company can have an A rating with the BBB.

I am appealing their decision and plan to continue to fight my case as far as necessary and urge other in this situation to do so. Please tell all you friends, family and business associates to heed the reviews regarding Golden Rule as they are not the ramblings of a few angry people but an exact replica of what has been my experience with them. As other consumers have stated, they most certainly take your monthly premium but cover nothing. As a subsidiary of United Healthcare, I urge you to also boycott any business with United Healthcare too. Be warned, it is not worth it to join Golden Rule as they will not cover any claim you have no matter what the situation.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

They do not cover anything! Even if it says it is in the network. Will not cover. Call them too saying it was all mistakes but they are not doing anything. Even a simple doctor visit they will not cover. Wish I could report them even more because they stole 3 months of my money! DO NOT USE AT ANY COST!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

Don't do it--it's a waste of money. They deny everything and choke them up to pre-existing??? Nothing gets covered and all they do is take money for nothing.

Original review: May 27, 2016

I thought I was saving money by having a plan without mental health coverage. I had a blood test for a suspected genetic defect (which was positive) and a panel of bloodwork relevant to this condition. With my physician I have often talked about low energy and depression. But, it seems that Golden Rule feels like sticking a needle in your arm and drawing blood counts as mental health. I could see this if maybe I was being tested for mood stabilizer levels or the blood test was for antidepressant responsiveness, but it was not. What a scam.

Upon my first dispute, they called me and asked me to retract the dispute as the health records did not arrive and that they would reopen it as soon as they got the records. They never called or wrote. Hospital bills started coming in and I wrote the hospital to hold on as I was supposed to be in a dispute. I called the insurance company and they acted like everything was resolved. But, we went through the process again and I filled in the consent form for health information release and then within a couple of weeks they wrote that they closed it again as they did not have the information. It seemed pretty hasty. I got in touch with my physician's office and told them that it wasn't reaching them for some reason and I filled out more consent forms for the release of health information.

After time passed, they eventually acknowledged receiving the paperwork and they just denied it again. Meanwhile debt collectors are now calling me and even got my parents' number. What a disaster! I thought when a policy said that laboratory work was covered, they would cover laboratory work. The best decision I have made in a long time was to drop Golden Rule as soon as possible. Our healthcare and insurance systems are such a disaster in this country now.

Golden Rule Company Information