Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
1.19/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

104 Golden Rule Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 6, 2019

My husband lost his job and cobra charged $1334.00 a month to maintain coverage. After researching different health options, we decided to go with Golden Rule (United health one). I am so far pleased with the company and the level of customer service I received. I have 2 kids who were due for their well checks. I paid $60 per kid (towards my deductible). They covered 100% of all my kids vaccines, which saved me $554.00 because my daughter had 3 that day. They discounted everything else. My husband is on 3 different blood pressure pills and his out of pocket cost was $11.00 using golden rule. My son needed an antibiotic and the out of pocket cost was $100, golden rule covered $51.00 etc.. This plan isn't meant to be used long term or to treat long term illnesses. There are savings with this plan and something is better than nothing. This plan fits our needs now until open enrollment begins and we can get a "major medical" plan.

Original review: June 27, 2019

This, and their association with United Health One, are a joke. Please do not even waste your time. I had issues getting through their website (it was so slow) so I finally just called a number. Not only was I cut off several times and they kept calling back, when I finally got through their online application process, I was told to wait up to 48 hours for approval. Four days later, and nothing. No information, except "They are reviewing your application." Who are "they," exactly? If they can't decide whether or not to take my money within 4 days, I cannot imagine what it must be like to attempt to get a claim out of these people. So we've started our vacation, and have zero insurance. Nice... Now I'm worried they'll still try to charge me, and I'll be magically approved, once the vacation is over. Avoid this company like the plague!

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I purchased this insurance through a third party broker company (iWebQuotes.com) which was one of the dumbest things I have done in my life. The broker named Leandro ** sold me this insurance as a primary health insurance and even though it seemed too cheap to be true he told me lies such as "it's only for young healthy people so we keep our prices very low" which at that time made sense and I made the purchase for me and my fiance. We found out the hard way how this insurance was useless when my fiance had to go to the emergency room. Out of the $10,600 bill they only covered $400!!!

That scam artist broker lied to us just so he can make couple more bucks. We have paid for this crap of an insurance for 7 months before finally canceling it. I contacted their resolution department and they were rude and did not refund a penny and said they are not responsible for what the third party broker told us. SO basically they are 100% OKAY with having third party brokers lie on their behalf and scam customers. Anyways do not make the same mistakes we did and find yourself an insurance that's worth your money!!

Original review: June 14, 2019

Today I phoned UHC/United Health One Golden Rule, a policy I just signed up for to update my payment method. The first lady was nice, updated the payment. Then proceeded to tell me that though the policy start date remained the same, the illness waiting period was 6 days out though injury coverage began immediately (still charged same rate even without illness coverage apparently). So I asked what the difference would be in illness and injury l, for example if I went to an ER with chest pain, shortness of breath, abdominal or head pain..was that considered illness? She said she didn't know but would forward me to the policy coverage department who would know.

Ron answered and was unintelligent from the start. He had no clue. Then, when he wasn't able to answer, he proceeded to talk over me. I asked to be transferred to someone else but he said there was no one else..no supervisor and no one else who was there to help. At one point he suggested having someone call me back, then he changed his story and said there was no one. He literally wasn't able to answer anything. Ridiculous. Guy should not be working there, and what does this say about this insurance??

Original review: May 1, 2019

Golden Rule, offered through UnitedHealthcare Company, is a terrible plan. They cover almost nothing and they make it extremely difficult to purchase a plan. Additionally, they will not let you rollover your plan. DO NOT BUY THROUGH GOLDEN RULE!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Golden Rule?

Original review: April 30, 2019

I had them and I was diagnosed with diabetes and they dropped me. They don't buy for hardly anything. My diabetes test struts they would only pay for two dollars of it. This is the biggest joke since Obamacare.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I bought this insurance In September. Thought it was good according to salesman. What a joke. Had skin cancer surgery in January and they paid 800 out of over 11000. Called them. They said with my plan that's what they pay. Thanks for screwing me Golden Rule.

Original review: March 21, 2019

The great thing about having a policy with a large network is the contracted rates you get on all covered services. We've experienced discounts of up to 75% and 80% with United Healthcare. However, UnitedHealthOne (underwritten by Golden Rule) is nothing like United Healthcare. The discounted rates on covered services are minimal, maybe 10% to 15% overall. Then, since it's an indemnity plan, they're only paying out a pre-set amount per claim, which is typically just a fraction of the bill you'll receive from the provider. Don't fall prey to the attraction of low premiums. You'll be sorry when the enormous medical bills come rolling in. PS - They don't send you EOBs unless you request them, and then they have the audacity to charge you $25 after the first 10.

Original review: March 5, 2019

James installed our furnace & air conditioner. He is a very hard worker & does the job right. He is friendly, courteous & helpful. He help us with programming details and any other concerns we had. Even after the job is done he still will help with question etc. Would recommend him & Golden Rule to others.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Had Golden Rule for a secondary insurance. It was a minimal plan. I filed a claim for an office visit. Only claiming a 100.00 and the red tape was awful. I gave them statement detailed and talked with them on the phone and they said they needed info on my wife. I sent that. And on and on. I only had the policy for about a year. Paid 4000.00. All I wanted was a lousy 100.00 which they said the plan paid once a year. Golden Rule is a joke, rip off, scam co.

Golden Rule Company Information