Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Golden Rule Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Golden Rule?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Golden Rule?

Original review: April 15, 2020

Since the Coronavirus Pandemic has started Golden Rule Insurance has been charging my credit card for my insurance premium. The plan I have is a basic plan, which covers cleaning, cavities, and little else. I called and spoke to a customer representative and was informed either I keep paying my monthly premium, or cancel it. She gave me an option of freezing my account for 60 days, but when reactivated I'd have to pay the previous 2 months and the current month. Basically I'm being told, "Continue paying your monthly premium," EVEN KNOW I CANNOT USE THE INSURANCE BECAUSE DENTIST OFFICE ARE CLOSED!!

This is FRAUD by Golden Rule Insurance company!!! I'm extremely dissatisfied with Golden Rule's service, and will NEVER use their Insurance again. BTW, I'm a small business owner, so this will not be the only policy we will be cancelling. To take advantage of hard working individuals at time like this wrong and immoral!!! Coronavirus has revealed the true ethics and reasons for being in business for Golden Rule, PURE PROFIT with no regard for the individual they insure!!

Original review: March 4, 2020

Don’t waste your money, this insurance won’t cover anything even if your policy is a full coverage. In April 2019 I was hospitalized and had a surgery. They have only paid my medical pill $436 and left me with 19k to pay out of my pocket to the hospital. To this day they been saying there was a mistake. It is the other way around. "You're suppose to $436 and we pay the rest." Oh well insurance don’t want to pay. Anything you see on their website is just total scam. Just canceled. They don’t provide you with confirmation number, still to this day pull money of my account. 4 months a row and I’m struggling with this cancellation. Called customer service and they come at me that’s my policy is canceled and there is nothing they can do and I should just contact the bank. This is very frustrating.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Don’t bother. Horrible customer service-confusing billing. Just don’t do it. I cancelled my premium through their online system-then spent over an hour in the phone to cancel the additional policies attached to the main policy. Just don’t do it.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I told Brat ** what I need. I went to the doctor for my preventive exams which I told Brat ** I was due. I just don’t understand how these companies can’t take your hard earn money and get away with it. Why should I have to wait 6 month before you can go to the doctor. I wrote the Pennsylvania insurance investigator John **. He said that they further assistance at this time you need an attorney to help you. After this company ripped me off now I need to pay the they didn’t pay and go get attorneys so where’s is all this money come from and this insurance just collected people money and get to kept for nothing (This Nothing But AMERICANS agreed).

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

If you like giving money to a company that wants to not actually provide their service then Golden Rule is the company for you! It's health insurance in name only and basically any exception they can use to avoid paying they will use and there are exceptions for pretty much anything, bad cough? pre-existing condition. Having a baby? LOL, good luck with that. We might even revoke our coverage once we realize you're too expensive for us.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

This was a 'gapper' plan for the 16 months I had between COBRA and Medicare. Yes, I understand it is a fixed indemnity plan. I hardly ever go to the doctor or hospital. Last winter I fell on the ice and the plan did not cover the x-rays. I'm out $2500. Last month I went to the dermatologist and it did not cover having pre-cancerous lesions zapped with liquid nitrogen. Out $200. These are super common things that happen to people. Should have been covered. I would have been far better off with no insurance.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

This company is horrible. I had a fixed indemnity plan which is supposed to pay a fixed rate for covered services. I was well aware this was not major medical when I signed up. I had to go to the ER and have an CT scan, not for a pre existing condition, which were listed as covered services. I gathered all the medics documentation needed and mailed the claim application immediately. It took over two months for them to process the claim, in which I had to call multiple times to check and wait on hold sometimes for hours. I called again today and found out the claim was denied, and all the rep could tell me was because they “were not covered services.” This does not make any sense according to my summary of benefits. I did not even care to argue further for just a few hundred dollars.

I canceled my policy today. I have no idea what they actually would pay for. Maybe I will get a prorated refund as they say (who knows when), maybe I won’t. I also had a dental and accident plan with them, which I never used so I won’t speak on those. But, I do know the professionalism and courtesy of various reps was not consistent, some were just rude and I’m assuming because they deal with angry and mislead customers all the time. Communication is poor and wait times are way too long. Benefits are misleading. I’d rather go without anything than flush my money down the toilet on this “insurance”.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I was denied coverage because I had cancer 7 years ago, without chemo. My denial letter; however, had the explanation blank as to the reason it was denied. So they did not initially disclose the reason, but I believe happy to receive the $20 application fee. There should be a disclosure of what they will refuse coverage for before taking the fee.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

I purchased this insurance as short-term heath insurance for my family, while awaiting for my insurance with a new employer to begin. Worst investment! They would not pay for daughter's doctor visit although I purchased a family coverage plan. I reported this company to the Better Business Bureau. This insurance company is a scam...BEWARE!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I had an extremely basic plan from this company and was told in writing that it would expire at the end of the year I started it. It was meant to cover me until open enrollment allowed me to sign up for a more complete plan. Not only did they not cancel the plan when they claimed they would, charging me for three extra months after the plan had already expired, they also made it extremely difficult to contact them and fix the situation. I never did manage to get them to fix their error. I did report the fraudulent transactions to my bank, but almost a year later they still have the money they stole. Protect yourself. Pick someone else, someone with a good honest reputation.

Golden Rule Company Information