2.8/5 (295 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Golden Rule

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Golden Rule Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Golden Rule?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

Bought this insurance because it said on the site that prescriptions would cost $40 per month. Received my card, it had no Rx number to use at the pharmacy. Called and after hours and being passed around on the phone queue, someone finally told me that I would have to buy my prescription at full price and ask to be reimbursed. If I could afford to do that I wouldn’t need insurance. In any case that’s a big difference from “prescriptions are $40.” They sent a discount card, I took it to the pharmacy, and somehow the discounted price was more than not having insurance at all. I cancelled the plan. This is a scam.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

It covers almost nothing, extremely difficult to get ahold of (1+h wait times, phone tree that's almost impossible to get through) and then they denied every claim when I tried to use the card at the dr office. For each claim, they mail you afterward out a 20 question inquiry, asking you to describe the condition in detail, name and address and phone of every physician for the last 5 years, how long you had the symptoms, list every single illness or injury you've had for the last 5 years, etc etc. But they don't tell you what claim it is so you have to try to call them which is nearly impossible. Super frustrating. They explicitly don't cover any preexisting, so this is their way to search for any possible reason they can deny you.

But worse, when they didn't get a response back yet after only 2 weeks they send a new letter advising me that they are denying the claims. UNBELIEVABLE! That would mean I'd have to get ahold of them to clarify, fill out and return the form in a matter of days. Everything about this company is misleading and designed to avoid any payouts whatsoever of the extremely limited areas that they supposedly cover. SCAM SCAM SCAM. I am so peeved that I gave them my money!!!!

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

This horrible scam of a company is expensive and covers nothing. Not check-ups, immunizations, emergencies, or basically anything that involves Health or Insurance. When you sign up they claim to provide all the necessary coverage for a family. I would have saved money paying out of pocket.

Original review: May 23, 2022

I was completely lied to when I signed up for their most expensive family plan wanting complete coverage for me, my husband and daughter. NOTHING was covered! My generic Rx were over $300! I got pregnant and nothing was covered! No wellness, no doctor's visits! Their customer service department is horrible! This company is a complete scam!

Original review: March 17, 2022

Worse "insurance" ever. Covers absolutely nothing. I'm a 1099 employee but had the option to buy (and self-pay) insurance through work, which I did for the last 3-4 years. It wasn't the greatest so when a (young/healthy) friend raved about Golden Rule (I guess they pay for birth control), I thought I'd give it a try. What a horrible mistake! I fear for my health until Oct/Nov when I can rejoin my old plan. Please, G-d, help me make it until then. :(

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

They didn't cover anything even after our deductible and coinsurance was met. Horrible experience, will never use Golden Rule ever again and will tell anyone it's not worth the money. Unless you just need insurance and never get sick but if you have any health problems please look elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

Never used in over 15 years kept raising my rates and my deductible. Finally got tired of it and looked around. Found a better policy end of November, contacted to cancel on Jan 1st when new policy started. Got a letter dated 12/9/21 that they cancelled my policy as of 12/5/21. Can't imagine if I ever used it if they would even pay anything based on the service I received.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Great insurance if you never use it! I was in a horrible motorcycle accident in August, come December they were no longer offering me insurance. I was in the early stages of rehabilitation and thanks to them not following through I am disabled for the rest of my life when I could’ve easily went back to work if they would have not dropped me when I needed them. This company showed me they only cared about the money and not my well being!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

This company SUCKS! Their website is ALWAYS down. I can never check my information online. The pharmacy says my medical card can’t be used. Only they provide is a discount perk to use that lowers the cost. Ridiculous

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I have had low back degenerative arthritic changes for years. The pain initially was manageable with NSAIDs. Eventually, I developed GERD from the long term NSAID usage and now am on ** as a result. I then had so much pain that I had difficulty sleeping and functioning normally in daily life. Just standing up straight was difficult for me. I have had MRI that verifies the disc degeneration L4-L5, L5-S1. With the NSAIDs now contraindicated, my pain management physician at Cleveland Clinic administered bi-lateral Facet injections on both sides of both joints. The injections gave me great relief and restored a normal level of function for me. Golden Rule has been my health insurance through the entire time. They covered the procedures for me 4 different times over a 4 year period.

This summer, I got my injections for a fifth time and have been contacted by Golden Rule and told the procedure is medically unnecessary and they refuse to cover the fee from Cleveland Clinic for the same procedure they had deemed medically necessary 4 times in the past. I am currently trying the get them to reconsider as I have no other options other than just have the chronic pain or step up to narcotics long term. These are the kind of unreasonable schemes this company has begun to employ. Do not select them as your healthcare insurer.

Golden Rule Company Information