1.11/5
Based on 217 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

233 Cigna Disability Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 22, 2018

My husband has Cigna Health, Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability policies through his employer. In March of this year, he was transported by ground ambulance to the nearest Trauma ER, where he was treated on an emergency basis and admitted to CCU, where he stayed for 8 days before being discharged to an acute care floor. After another 7 or 8 days, he was discharged to inpatient rehab, where he stayed for another week. Of course, there were several providers that treated him during this time that are not in the plan network. As of today, all but 4 of the providers have been paid under "enhanced" benefits, meaning they are being treated as if they are actually in the network. The employer handled the FMLA paperwork and got the ball rolling on the STD with Cigna right away.

I was in contact with the claim specialist right away and overall, checks were submitted pretty much like clockwork without more than a short glitch or 2. I constantly kept his assigned claim rep in the loop as to his status via faxes and voicemail. My only real frustration came when his status changed to LTD. Most of that was because I was not aware that instead of weekly payments, payments would only be made monthly in "arrears", meaning, once his claim was approved, he would be paid once per month, at the end of that month. Correspondence from CIGNA comes very slowly, a letter dated 7/13/18 advising that his claim had been approved did not arrive here until 7/21/18. I have never had an issue with calling them and not receiving a return call.

Any information that they need that I can provide them - I always ask and offer. Such as, on the 16th when I spoke to his claim specialist Kelly, she told me the claim had been approved but they were waiting for 12 months worth of check stubs from his employer to calculate the "award". I asked if I could supply her with them, she was surprised by the offer, and said, "Sure you can, if you have access to them." So I did, and by the 19th we had our first payment on the LTD claim. Even though I make sure to follow up regularly and ask questions and have called CIGNA Health several times to get claims taken care of - I can't really say that anyone at CIGNA has been anything but helpful.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I have been lied to, misled, told my health information was not received when my health insurance has provided the documentation to them as recently as 7/6/2018. I agree that I've been feeling as of late that CIGNA does intentionally engage in delay tactics. I was yelled at by Sarah of CIGNA Solutions and Nicki **. Very unprofessional agents. First Nicki ** tells me on June 15, 2018 that her department doesn't work with my type of request and Sarah will be taking over as case manager, that I should defer to her moving forward. I asked about whether receiving documentation from her should concern me she told me no, only focus on the paperwork Sarah sends me.

Sarah calls me once in the last month, I have tried to get a hold of her every single day, leaving voicemail after voicemail to no avail. I call again on 6/26 and 7/6 spoke to agents Elaine and Charlotte. Both told me to continue ignoring paperwork received from Nicki as Sarah was my case manager. I get paperwork from Nicki on July 2, telling me I have to fill out FMLA leave forms and submit them by July 8. I get this paperwork in the middle of a holiday week, what were they expecting me to do, I attempt to call my case manager Sarah again. Find out she's on vacation, talk to another agent, I am told to continue holding off on submitting any paperwork from Nicki until I can touch bases with Sarah. Finally she calls me last week, July 10, I missed her phone call by five minutes. I called her over and over again, left voicemails the whole week, she never returned my calls.

Finally Sarah calls me back on July 17, 2018. Apparently they have been unable to collect anything from Kaiser let alone get a hold of the medical records office. She says she's been leaving voicemail and sending out emails but no one has responded. (This turned out to be a lie, one, Kaiser has no voicemail option for the records office, two, Kaiser agent Darla told me my records have been accessed by CIGNA and all documents they've requested have been sent out.) She starts getting frustrated with me and says she's been trying to reach me, I only have two missed messages from her, one on June 15, and the other July 10, does that sound like she's been trying to reach me?

Furthermore, she probably doesn't realize that I know she's been on vacation and her voicemail stating she was "away from the office" changed to "I am on the phone with a client" on July 9. Trying to reach me? Yeah a bunch of malarkey. I almost lose it but I get my composure again after she stops yelling. I start from the top, "You're requesting paperwork, okay I will submit the paperwork now that I have clarification on what it is for. What about the paperwork from Nicki? She sent me FMLA documents, I don't qualify for that just yet." "Well if you don't qualify for that, ignore it then, don't send it in. Send me the documentation I am requesting via email, this is a courtesy we don't normally ask for documentation via email." She says she is going to reach out to Kaiser again and get a hold of them and resend the request (Again later I find out from Kaiser that they have been nothing but compliant with CIGNA).

I get this funny feeling like I am being duped. I call Nicki explain what happened with Sarah, she goes off on me. She starts yelling I need that paperwork, "Why didn't you call me when I sent it out to you?" Well for starters, you told me my case manager was Sarah when I reached out to you on June 15, 2018 and you told me yourself to ignore any paperwork from your end because your department which deals with Leaves isn't part of the Disability department and pending approval from Disability will mean that I get Leave. Furthermore, you told me to direct all questions to my case manager but Sarah's been on vacation and not returning any of my calls (I literally bombarded her voicemail on Friday 7/13, calling every hour).

Finally I've had enough of her attitude and ask to speak to her supervisor, Pat. I told him what's going on that CIGNA's agents have been giving me false and misleading information. That thanks to them telling me not to turn in paperwork from Nicki because it didn't apply to my case, and that I was told not to as recently as an hour ago by my own damn case manager Sarah, that I have missed a seemingly important deadline. Well apparently there is nothing that can be done about that. So basically I am screwed, since I've gone on leave on June 11, 2018 I have not received a penny from CIGNA. I've been lied to, mislead, told the wrong information and I am the one getting penalized for it. I told that Supervisor he better review the phone calls as they are all recorded right? I swear we need to file a class action lawsuit against this company.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 16, 2018

I am going on short term disability due to a surgical procedure. Was ask to approve information given to Cigna and that I could receive a copy of the voice approval. After 30 minutes was told I could not receive a copy until a case manager was assigned the case. The voice approval said I was entitled to one upon request. What is the runaround for a simple request. I would change insurance companies but it is my company's plan.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I was rushed to the hospital Feb. 4 and I was in ICU for several days. I did not come to until 3 days. My family was called in because they had no idea was wrong. Anyway I was put on STD. First off the ER wanted me to go to rehab for 4 weeks but that was Denied. So they sent a nurse, PT, and OT to my house for 6 weeks twice a week. I had to learn to rest, walk and, communicate on top of call Cigna every month. About 2 months in I started getting denial letters with no reasoning why so I had to call 2 or 3 times before I could get in touch with someone. When I did they were telling me they didn't receive doctor's notes.

A few times I had to pay someone to take me to the doctor's office to talk to them about sending notes and they kept telling me their office never received anything to respond to. After that was resolved it happened the next month, but this time they said the denial letter was sent out before they got that month's notes from the doctor and that the letters were usually late getting to me. Now the last month I was at home they are denying me again!!! This time because of doctor's notes and communication again.

The Cigna rep told me, kept telling me when I go back to work if I am put on part time they will pay the hours not work as part of an incentive to go back to work. Well, come back to work part time for a month and a half now and guess what? Denied again. So, finally I 3-way the doctor and Cigna which is my last resort before appealing if it is denied again. How am I supposed to get better with all this worry about pay that is due to me??? It is very stressful and full of migraines. This is the only insurance offered by my company so I have no choice! I'd give anything for Blue Cross Blue Shield!!! NO TO CIGNA.

Original review: June 27, 2018

My husband had neck surgery (2 disc replaced) in April '2018. He was approved to receive STD prior to surgery, at a reduced rate mind you. He's only been paying into this account for 38 yrs., and has never filed a claim. Well, let me say, dealing with CIGNA has been a NIGHTMARE!!! They make what is already a difficult situation nearly impossible. He has had to call them several times a week. Each time they state they need more information, which the hospital has supplied gladly and when requested. He has still not been released to return to work, his next doctor's appointment isn't until 7/12/18, which CIGNA was made aware of. And somehow and for some unknown reason they have canceled his benefits. Now, when he calls his caseworker, whose name is Rebecca, her VM states she is out of the office and unavailable. These people ARE shameless and useless.

Updated on 06/28/2018: Company response 6/27/18: "I can't tell you how sorry I am for your frustration surrounding your husband's disability claim. Please email me at LetUsHelpU@cigna.com so I can look into this and help." Your response 6/28/18: Ok TE, what would you like to know? Bottom line is they cut off his benefits without even informing us. I don't know how that is even legal. He has a very demanding and dangerous job. He HAS NOT been released from Dr's care at this point. Like I said previously, which your agent was aware of, his next Dr's appointment isn't until 7/12/18. Your company is putting us in a very bad situation, both financially and emotionally.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Original review: June 22, 2018

Thanks again for Consumer Affairs... The reason for my email is to share that Cigna's Claudia - HAS DELAYED, DENIED MY disability claim since May 20, 2018 delay after delay with Cigna EVEN THOUGH my VA Primary Doctor in writing verifying my injuries, loss of days out of work, I've earned Perfect Attendance for the last years but been employed for almost 9 years.

The reason I'm out of work now because I was ATTACKED & INJURED by a co worker for no reason. Not to mention my employer has reduced the last check to crumbs and when I called Payroll treated this veteran with TOTAL -- DISTAIN!!! Which I was responsible in case of any surprises; arranged years ago DISABILITY and I PAID CIGNA to deduct the cost out of my earned paycheck - weekly but Claudia Cigna's (Claims Manager)... after faxes still hell-bent on withholding my DISABILITY Benefit Payment that I'VE EARNED & PAID FOR BECAUSE... I'm the injured victim & hurt in pain suffering.

What's a man without money to live. Cigna's Claim Manager's Claudia ** is acting in bad faith claim while I can't pay my bills, affecting my good name/credit, medical health after my doctor keeps faxing medical documents Claudia required and requested SAME RECORDING' UNDER REVIEW... UNDER REVIEW, UNDER REVIEW. I've exhausted my savings and Claudia is ACTING IN BAD FAITH AS CLAIMS MANAGER! Thanks to my veterans friends, friends and loved ones especially thank you God!!!

Original review: June 17, 2018

If you have a mental disability and you apply for disability through Cigna you are totally screwed. I went on disability in October 2017 due to depression, anxiety and borderline personality disorder. Everything went fine until January 2018. Then BOOM! Denied! They came up with all kinds of reasons. First they weren’t receiving the requested documentation. It just snowballed from there. If you have a somewhat decent day they think you are ready to go back to work not understanding that mental illness is like being on a roller coaster.

Here it is mid June and I have received no money at all. I have no medical insurance. I have to beg and borrow to get my medication and make it to my psychiatrist visits. I sometimes wonder if Cigna is holding out hope that I just kill myself so I will leave them alone. I sometimes don’t know what to do. I just don’t know how much longer I can take it. I’m on my second appeal. Received a letter at the end of May saying they needed 45 more days to review my records. Dear Cigna why don’t you just provide me with a gun.

Original review: June 13, 2018

After being on STD and covered by CIGNA I have to say that it has not been a very good experience. I was sent a letter stating my weekly benefits and contacted my rep. She gave me misleading information about my benefits and when they would arrive. Today I did not receive my benefits and called her. She stated she just got into her emails to see that I was still going to be on STD so would issue my benefits. So now I have to wait several more days before I get paid. I normally get paid benefits on Wednesdays and had to cancel an appointment because I didn't get the scheduled payment. It is incredibly frustrating and stressful to be on STD because you never know when or if you're going to be paid. The reps here need more training and need the correct information when discussing benefits. This causes clients stress and frustration.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I am out of work temporarily. Cigna insurance is the short-term disability provider for my employer. After each doctor post-op visit, the doctor is required to submit a clinic note to justify continuation of benefits. My eligibility date to receive payments was 12/29/2017. The disability payments right now is my only source of my own income. After each doctors visit, the doctors office immediately faxed over the information required. Each time, Cigna claimed they didn't have the paperwork, or they needed more information, or they had to contact the doctor regarding the nature of my job. Each time I call Cigna to inquire about delay, I received different information from each person I spoke to.

Cigna is using delay tactics. After this last doctor visit, 3/29/2018, as usual the information was sent in. Continuation of my disability has still not been approved. I have been told 3 different reasons by 3 different people why. So I have been without a check for 3 weeks. Short term disability is only 60% of one's salary. I have been lied to, my claims have been delayed; in my opinion these are delay tactics on the part of Cigna. The process they use to pay clients who are legitimately unable to temporarily work, are certainly not done hastily, or with any thought that it is the client's much needed income.

Updated on 04/18/2018: My last doctor appointment was 3/29/2018. After many attempts for information regarding my disability claim, I found out after several weeks my claim has been denied. This was after phone call after phone call, email after email, with no one giving me a straight answer about the delay and lack of answers. My job requires me to walk all day, and am currently in a short leg cast. This disability right now is my only income. Obviously I am going to appeal, which will take a long time, I can only imagine.

Perhaps Cigna didn’t like the wording of the doctor's note with his recommendation of no weight bearing for a few more weeks, or the X-ray report. The point is that when a claim is being denied, Cigna has no regard for a person's situation regarding anxiety, finances, etc. and that their delay in notification to the insured is atrocious. Each person I spoke to gave me a different answer to my questions. My claim manager was rarely ever available by phone, a call to a supervisor was only returned after I called a second time. This has been going on for weeks. So I am still in a situation of not being able to work, and have no income. This lack of communication is just inexcusable.

If there was a doubt that my claim would be denied and had they communicated this, I could have been proactive in getting more information from my doctor. It is apparent after reading other reviews on this site that I am not the only person dealing with the below poor customer service, horrible communication, and bad business practices of this company.

Original review: March 14, 2018

CIGNA closes my LTD claim without any notice. My February check was short, so I called CIGNA on 2/28/18. Was told my claim manager would look into it and get back to me. I have made three calls to find out what's going on. I found out today that my claim was closed. No notice. No call. When I called today for an update and was informed that my claim is closed, I was told my case manager called me on my cell on 3/9/18. But my cell call log doesn't show any incoming calls. Now, I'm stuck. I'm in the process of appealing SSDI. I now have no money, I'm not married and have no other means of support. I can hardly get out of bed. I guess they want me to join the homeless. Jokes on them, I'll kill myself first.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Cigna says they provide 60% of pay for S.T.D. They must have felt obligated to keep all the change that would equal my 60%. They were giving me 59% for 3 months. Also, they would only approve me until my next doctor visit even though at the beginning of my claim, the doctor told them I would be out until 2 weeks after my surgery. I went on disability in October, surgery was in December, I went back to work in January. I had to call them weekly to update them that I would still be out after PRE-op appointments, then had to wait 2 weeks for them to catch up and approve it. I really hope I never have to go on disability again through Cigna.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I filed for STD with Cigna and of course it wasn’t enough information. I suffer from internal tremors in my head and right hand also fibromyalgia. My memory is bad from the fibro fog. I’m a nurse that is right-handed and starts IV daily. But Cigna states that I can work because I have some grip and can raise my arms over my head. I can barely get out of bed due to severe pain. I’m shaking and I can work. My Dr. has clearly stated all this. They denied me and closed my case. I have appealed it and awaiting their decision. I do have a lawyer if I get denied again. They have nurses not doctors making these decisions. I will never go through them again after I get what is owed to me. They should be taken out of business.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I have been out of work since 10/13/16. Today is 12/4/16. Cigna has been provided all necessary paperwork and has yet to approve my disability. Furthermore, they have failed to provide my employer with my FMLA paperwork. I've left messages and called everyday. They are well aware I may lose my house because of this and have still not contacted me or approved my leave. Shameful company.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

When my husband had to take leave for back injury his employer told us we'd receive $174 a week. Well let me tell you we lived on $45 for two weeks. A family of four, no food stamps, no nothing, these people have literally ruin our kids Christmas. Please do NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I've been dealing with Cigna for a LTD claim since April of this year. It took them almost six months of requesting "extra" information and telling me they've not received paperwork from my doctors before they denied my claim. My specialist then submitted paperwork stating that I am totally unable to perform the duties of my job and I’m nearly totally disabled. Cigna's doctor reviewed the new records and told me that their "original decision stands". I am almost totally house bound. I have home health nurses that come to care for me and I use a wheelchair when I have to be on my feet for longer than 5 minutes. Not sure what more they need. This whole situation has caused serious depression and anxiety. I feel like they will do anything to get out of paying LTD, so I am currently interviewing attorneys in order to get resolution.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

CIGNA disability!!! They make their own rules - I’ve been out of work for a few months with anxiety & panic attacks & insomnia & depression. My doctor has me on month-to-month evaluations. I’ve been out for four months. On the fifth month they have denied the claim the same diagnosis was submitted, I’ve called to talk to (Jessica **) Plano Texas field claims officer, five or six times and emailed her three or four times asking why my claim has not been approved. She will not return any of my calls or emails!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Okay, this is so frustrating and stressful that I'm not sure where to start. Almost two months ago, I called Cigna to file for Short Term Disability and here I am now starving to death. Let me back up a bit. I am a disabled veteran. I have an service related anxiety disorder. It's something that I have constantly struggled with for the last few years. And I have a very stressful job. My employer has been very caring and understanding of my situation, I'm proud to say that I've had the job over six years. But recently, it's gotten to be too much for me to handle.

So my doctors agreed that it would do me good to take a break. It was my goal to take some time off, get my mind right, and comeback stronger. Cigna has been grossly incompetent and have only served to make my life worse. For starters, I filed for the STD in the second week of September. The paperwork didn't get to my doctor until early October. I made repeated calls to them. One call I was told that they were making my case a priority because it had not yet been worked yet. Then I called again and found that my caseworker was out of the office and Cigna had completely dropped the ball. And in between there were countless unreturned voicemails and caseworkers are seldom available.

Finally, my Doc gets my paperwork. My provider found the questions to be vague and unfocused on what really matters. Cigna did not want to know about any of the problems I've dealt with prior to filing the claim. As I said earlier, this anxiety is something that I've struggled with for a long time. I had to have a break. Late last week, I was told that one reason that Cigna could not approve it is because I had not had a serious incident related to stress and anxiety. What does that say about how mental health is treated in America? Was I supposed to have a breakdown before I get help?

So now, I'm at the point where my case has been escalated to Cigna's in house doctor. Their doctor has to review everything, and have a peer-to-peer meeting with my doctor. I'm worried about how long this escalation is going to last. I understand that my VA doctors have a lot on their plate too. There will be more phone tag, and it could still get denied. So at the end of November, I could be going to back to work broke and no better than I was before. If I could just get a week or two to deal with myself and not have to worry about all this Cigna stuff. I sincerely feel that Cigna is only after taking care of themselves. It's not like I need a year off, just a short time to deal with some mental challenges that I'm facing. We'll see how it goes.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

My wife has Lyme disease and has been on disability since 2014. CIGNA denied her claim then overturned it on the 3rd appeal. They then paid for 1 year and 11 months (past 2 years they have deny again). We appealed and just recently got it overturned again. They supposedly mailed out the arrears check along with interest and penalties today and then promptly denied her again. Now we have to file yet another appeal. They are nothing but scam artists. It's time for this madness to stop. P.S. Lyme disease gets progressively worse when you have large amounts of stress. I guess that will be introduced in the lawsuit.

Resolution response: Jan. 15, 2018

The help received from the LetUsHelpU was letting me know that the appeal was in process. After many pages of information being sent to the appeals department and many weeks of waiting, the appeal was denied.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I was approved for a period of time. Then more problems occurred in my life. My condition got worse and filed for an extension. I had my psychologist send in required paperwork. I even was called by a Russell from Cigna Leave Solutions at that time. He asked me my plan for recovery, I stated that I was following my psychologist's advice (which included medication changes that were approve by my primary care doctor and more). He stated that it was not aggressive enough. I added that I was also using the employee assistance program and following her advice.

I can say that much of what others stated has been the same for me. Promised callbacks never received, multiple people handling claim, etc. My psychologist even stated that she has all the paperwork she submitted and did a peer to peer review and was told all needed information was taken. Still fighting to get appeal approved. Meanwhile they are requesting money back and have stopped paying any benefits. This all has had a negative effect on my condition. Sure seems that I have had the same issues as many other people. I believe this is their way to not pay. Overwhelm people with more and more problems til they break.

Resolution response: Nov. 15, 2017

I would like to amend this review. I found that some of the problems I was having were due to my doctor's office not responding on time with the correct information for Cigna to process my claim. I ended up working with a supervisor at Cigna and they worked with me to help get this resolved so that I was paid on time through the end of my short term disability.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Go to glassdoor.com and see what Cigna employees say about the company - it will help you understand why you should NEVER have anything to do with this company. I work for a large company and so many of us have complained that our company is changing to a different short term disability insurance company. After filing my claim, Cigna changed my case manager 3 times - each one lasted about a month. Expect to have your doctor have to resubmit your claims multiple times because Cigna loses the submissions.

When they finally process your claim they will tell you the check is on its way - but that is a lie. You can expect to call Cigna multiple times to ask why you have not received your check and each time they will promise it is on its way - expect each check to be at least a month. Also expect your account to be lost and to be assigned a new incident number, which will cause further delays in processing your claim. Just avoid this company if possible, theirs is a culture of incompetence and it starts with upper management. Thank God my company is dropping Cigna.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Let me start off by saying never get insurance with this company if you have to go on disability. Go through the state it will probably be less painful. Cigna does not believe in mental disabilities such as Bipolar or Anxiety. I was off work from May 2017- till I had to go back to work in the end of September. They paid me less than the 60% that my employer said that I would receive. My doctor submitted the paperwork at least ten times. They claimed they never received it till the end of September. They said I used up all my FMLA and I was technically on short term disability. They denied my next paperwork.

I am in the process for appeal but I will probably be denied because they don't believe in mental disabilities or learning disabilities. Apparently during the time I was off I'm not allowed to be tested for my disability. I just found out why I was rejected. My doctor said I might be able to go back to work but my meds were not even changed yet she just gave me the option. They also thought since I took showers I was able to come back to work. They also said I didn't show enough psychotic tendencies to be approved when I was showing severe depression. I am still in the final appeal process but I will probably be denied and I will probably lose my job. Thanks Cigna!???

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I've read, most not all of these reviews, and I can't believe there are so many people going through what I have and continue to go through. I guess I am only writing this as to agree with you all and our exact experience with Cigna (Ltd). I can tell you 1 and only 1 good thing that came from them and it was, they filed for my S.S.D benefits for me and I was approved, right away and they (S.S.D) had all the same records and docs reports that Cigna had, and Cigna still denied me (in all honesty I thank God for that approval).

I hired Emily ** out of Cleveland and she got me approved, she said it's a must to getting any insurance to pay & or do what they are supposed to do. I've been getting my L.t.d for 2 years now and it's been stressful. I have to witnessed their lying more than a few times stating my doctors changed their diagnosis, and I had no problem getting those very angry doctors to write a letter to that fact, they totally called them out. And now just in the past 7 months they have relentlessly continue to ask for an update of my medical records and wanting doctor's to fill out physical assessment forms, I've got 2 in Aug.

This morning I called an attorney and he said they can do that but it should lighten up after 2 year mark then they will probably offer you another buyout, oh! In June they offered me far less than half to end my benefits. This does want to make you give up and the attorney said that's what they're counting on. FYI there's a clause that says they don't have to payout L.t.d for those with a mental disability, I read that this morning. Best to all of you! And God Bless.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I became disabled in 2015 and my employer had a long term disability policy with CIGNA. As soon as the first review came up they dropped me and after months of waiting they rejected my appeal... which I found out they do to everyone, counting on people not being able to afford a lawyer and getting fatigued. Their representatives are incredibly rude and hostile. My disability has been accepted by numerous entities but CIGNA MAKES ITS MONEY BY THIEVERY! My advice is you avoid Cigna at all costs. Better to put money in a mason jar. Don't just take my word, they are rated at the bottom... Quite task for rip off insurance companies. Cigna is about making money for their shareholders not taking care of people. If you work for Cigna you have no ethics!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I have been with my company for about 4 years now and have been using Cigna insurance through my company. I'm on here about a short term disability claim (maternity leave) from 5/26/17 to 7/31/17. First the claim was only approved from the time I had my son due to my representative Kimberly ** not being efficient with her job. My doctor's office made a mistake and sent the same form 7 times and instead of her calling them or even calling me to correct the error she sent it to the nurse to approve and of course it was denied. She never followed up with me on this so I thought everything was fine going into week three of not getting a check but being off due to doctor's orders.

I called Ms Kimberly numerous of times and never got her but I talked to a lot of nice representatives throughout the process, now I had my son on 6/18/17 and called Cigna to report that and of course still no payment had been made but I finally talked to Kimberly. She was so rude to me for no reason. I asked her to transfer me to her supervisor. I really hope that the company records those calls because she basically told me that I will not be approved for the time before but only the after birth. I had to find out from her supervisor why and I made sure I got the correct paperwork sent in. My doctor sent the paperwork in numerous of times and finally a rep saw it in the system for 8/7/17 and told me to give Kimberly 3 business days to process it.

I called back on today which is 8/21/17 and spoke with another young lady and she stated she would email Kimberly and her supervisor Tracy to ensure I got a call back today and I did!! But again she was rude. Did not state who she was when she called back, just stated she was a rep from Cigna. I ask twice who was I speaking with before she told me it was her... This was my second time in three months that I talked to my actually claims rep... Oh and not to mention I have to wait another 3 business days to get an answer.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

If I could give Cigna's short term disability coverage zero stars, I would. Without going into detail as the claim is still pending, claim managers and the nursing staff at Cigna have repeatedly lied to/misled me about details regarding my claim. I was told that I sent enough medical information with my initial submission and it would be enough to review; later found out this wasn't the case. My doctor's office mailed further information that they then requested; Cigna again said this wasn't enough. The nurse has now apparently stated that there were "no diagnostic tests" included in the medical records that would support my condition. Results of these diagnostic tests that DID HAPPEN were included in the initial paperwork. I've called them several times a week for the past four weeks, and barely any progress gets made at all. Phone calls to provide updates that were promised go unreturned.

I sent my initial claim paperwork four weeks ago, and when you do so, they say that a decision will be made in "3 business days." What they mean is that once the medical staff has every answer to every possible minuscule question they have, they can make a decision in 3 business days. And according to the other reviews, they could hold you in limbo for months with this back and forth until that happens. And you'll probably get denied.

My doctor himself is sick of dealing with the constant requests from Cigna and has said he's going to try to speak with them himself to get them off my back. I've been out of work for a while now. I have no more money, I have bills to pay, food to buy, and the stress is making it all worse physically and emotionally. I'm about to go back to work because I'm feeling better, but I don't know what I'd do if I weren't feeling better. I don't think I can deal with these Cigna folks for another minute.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I have Cigna Disability Insurance thru my employer. I have been off work for 2 months, filed 2 months ago for STD. They have not paid me a dime. They always claim that my doctors have not sent information, it's under review. Since I went on Medical Leave for low back pain with severe leg pain, my doctors found what could have led to the back issue - I have a collapsed femoral head on my right hip - causing severe pain - and now having severe pain doing anything, and have trouble even putting on my socks! My orthopedic surgeon has recommended a total hip replacement - otherwise, remain in pain, unable to continue daily life normally, stay in pain and eventually wind up in a wheelchair.

Since I have no income, I have raided my savings - soon that will run out. I will be returning to work - against medical advice - and now will not have the hip surgery due to Cigna not paying me anything. I have told Cigna that any further damage or injury at work or related to traveling 40 min to and from work, will be on them. I have reached out to an attorney at this point. There needs to be a class action lawsuit against Cigna - maybe if they have to pay another 73 million in damages, that might cause them to rethink business practices.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Obtained many reasons in the delay of LTD. The employer is NOT responsive. I will call you back as soon as I hear from them. One month I call Cigna. Same answer awaiting employers response to last day worked. Two months later I get a letter that I retrieved a month ago regarding needing an employer's response. Finally, I get a call after two months and nine days that the medical reports do not indicate disability. When I asked had the employer responded I am informed yes.

NEVER, got a call about the employer responded. Every doctor I have has completed notation that I cannot work and my condition is severe. "No medical support." They prolonged denying me by indicating I am under review. Sent all medical reports. What a waste time and money. The case managers are the worse ever. The others who answer the phone are more helpful than the case managers. The case managers are nonchalant. I had to call them for information. I left so many messages it is disturbing and got little to no callbacks.

When I did finally get someone (case manager) she let me know she will call me when she gets an update. Ignorant way of saying I am calling too much and give me a break. I was informed I can appeal. Why, to be treated bad and to be disregarded as a human being? If it took two months to be denied how many years would it take for an appeal. My experience has been horrible with the case managers. The case managers are playing the role of God with folk's lives. Two MONTHS to DENY over concrete medical records.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I have multiple autoimmune disorders, I have been out of work for 4 weeks, filed my claim 3 weeks ago, was told I'd receive papers in the mail after 5 business days, nothing. I called after 2weeks to check on the status, was made to feel I was an inconvenience and wasting Cigna's time. I had to repeat everything a 2nd time to another rep, was told my claim hadn't been seen or reviewed by my claims rep and they weren't in the office, and they'd just received this 2weeks ago. Nor had anything been sent to my Dr's office, who has been waiting for these papers. I've tried calling again, it still says under review, and now says your claims person is in the office, but unavailable to take my call. I left a message, no return phone call.

Original review: July 29, 2017

So being 5 months pregnant and going to the ob-gyn with numerous migraines, she decides to send me to the neurologist. So I go there. He wants to put me on medicine that I obviously couldn't take and my ob-gyn wouldn't approve (he asked her before a prescription was written). After a CT scan, the only conclusion was my pregnancy was causing migraines. So... The neurologist suggested to the ob-gyn that I should be taken out (at this point I'm 6.5 months along). I'm taken out of work and the crap with Cigna begins.

I filed for short term disability in which I paid for years. I did all the paperwork and sent the paperwork to my doctors. My ob-gyn was the main doctor whom took me out of work. So, I had her sign papers left and right. Redo her notes because "They were incomplete." "Not enough info." So by the time I talked to someone other than through email I was going on to be 8 months pregnant. With the loss of income, a new baby on the way and losing my job pretty much was ruining our lives. The lady handling my case was trying to blame it on workman comp because I said I was stressed out... Wouldn't you be?

Cigna kept sending us bills to pay the insurance so we could keep it while I was on FMLA. So, we paid it. It included std. Well they denied me completely. They could care less about you. Me. The baby. My other son. My family. 3 weeks before I had the baby I had to file for Medicaid. They decided to cancel insurance on me. Along with no payment. They need more than an investigation. They need to be shut down. It should be illegal what they're doing to people.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I went three months covered with Cigna under STD. My specific case is auto-immune and it took quite some time to find the diagnosis. While under physician's care I got the flu (despite having the flu shot) and missed an appointment with my doctor. Cigna then dropped me and the first notification I received of this was from my employer. I spoke to my claim representative immediately after I spoke with my employer (who explained the consequences of not getting this resolved would result in my termination) and my claims representative accused me of harassment when I asked for an answer.

Here's where it gets fun - my employer no longer employs Cigna so why would this con-artist scam-running JV insurance company care about my claim? Short answer; they don't and they didn't and they have greatly affected my life by pure laziness and lack of any sort of humanity. STAY AWAY. This company is fueled by profit and run by heartless criminals. Have you seen the Christmas movie, "Scrooge"? You'll meet the unchanged Scrooge the second your claim hits a desk at Cigna. They're evil and incompetent and should never ever be allowed to determine the outcome of someone's life. Shame on you Cigna. Shame.

Cigna Disability Insurance Company Information

Cigna
www.cigna.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business