1.11/5
Based on 233 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

249 Cigna Disability Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Good morning. I am sending this comment in regards to my experience. I applied for my STD in Dec 17/2018. Until moment I have not received any phone call, any message or any notification. I deserve respect. My case is with “Luka”. Supposedly they have not received my doctor's records, I think this is negligent work because I called my doctor office and his assistants and got my records. This is the worst company. I am thinking to submit a complaint with the BBB.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I have muscular dystrophy (MD) and a number of other disabilities associated with my MD. I use an electric wheelchair full-time, with limited ability to transfer, I use a ventilator at night to allow me to breathe while sleeping. For years doctors talked to me about stopping work. This year when my neurologist brought it up, I said, "Yes, I think it is time." I cannot get out of bed without help and getting ready for work took me two hours and left me exhausted. I was sick often with respiratory issues and UTIs. I was not keeping up at work. My doctor took me out of work immediately and I filed for short-term disability. I was denied, appealed and was denied again.

Once I received Approval with no appeals from Social Security, I thought for sure they would approve me. Today, I received a package with 3 inches of records and another denial. This is progressive disease, it did not happen overnight as might happen with a car accident or a diagnosis of Cancer. Yet I absolutely can no longer work, but do not meet the criteria of my employer's plan.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I applied for long term disability coverage through my employer's plan. First of all, I've only been on SHORT term disability twice. Once, for two days longer than the uncovered first week (from a workplace injury, at that), and at a later date, two weeks because of complications after minor surgery. I had to go round and round and round with these scam artists, all the while they saying they didn't get this or I didn't do that. I am 45 and have successfully been treated for depression since my teenage years. I have been clean and sober for seven years. And often times my back is sore because I have a physically demanding job. Which I've actually had addressed recently with chiropractic appointments.

After months of jumping through hoops, contacting every medical provider I've ever breathed on, and calling, emailing and leaving messages for these liars, I received a denial of coverage letter for: lumbago (which I actually had to look up to discover is a fancy schmancy way of saying lower back pain), depression and ** usage. As I previously stated, the depression has been life long and never once interfered with being a productive member of society, any and all drug use ceased SEVEN years ago, and what 45 year old doesn't experience lower back pain? But yet, I personally know of people who've had major back surgeries and eat ** meds like they're Skittles, that not only received coverage, but are currently sitting on their butts using it.

The only consolation I have, is seeing these reviews and how hard they are to get to acknowledge claims, now knowing I won't be another poor soul whose money they took. I will say this, the day will come, I'm sure, that I'll need to find individual coverage independent of a workplace offering, and it will NEVER be Cigna!!! And on another note, their dental coverage is crap, too. $2k yearly cap. That won't even cover a root canal and crown. I used to think they were one of the better providers, but now see I was either completely out of my mind wrong, or that they have taken a complete **. I will make SURE to alert ALL of my peers of their incompetence and unethical business practices. By word of mouth AND social media. I invite you to do the same, so that we may save the next innocent victim of their heinous greed and uncaring practices. And keep our hard earned money out of their blackhole pockets.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I got sick in April of 2018 at work and had to go in the hospital, for my Diabetes and was diagnosed with diabetes neuropathy really bad and they cut off my payments even when they got all the paperwork from my doctor. Now they’re sending me to their doctor because my doctor don’t know what he’s doing according to them. After he sent me and had the same test done to get his results. Don’t spend your money messing with them. They find any way not to pay you. Still fighting with them to do RIGHT.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I fell off my horse in Aug 2018. I broke 7 ribs, punctured a lung and bruised my spleen. Cigna has NEVER paid me on time, they are over a month behind and now I'm about to get evicted since Cigna is still reviewing paperwork. Paperwork that I had to obtain because they are so INCOMPETENT at doing their job. You talk to a different person each time, who gives you different information each time. Basically you're screwed if these people are who holds your short-term disability. Instead of healing from surgery, I'm doing these people's job just to get my measly 230.00 a week. I work in the medical field!! Cigna does not care about the customer and employees show no empathy for hurt/sick patients. If 0 stars were an option, that's what I would choose.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I have dealt with Cigna for a brief time and through this time the lack of transparency and customer service ratings are poor. Dealing with the case managers the lack of communication and follow up with doctors are horrible. I deal with my doctor on a regular basis and my doctor has given them all the information that they requested but constantly they’re coming up with other ways or other information that they say they need and not specific on the information that is needed. Really when are people going to start doing their jobs and not have customers doing it for them? This is so silly. People that are hurt or ongoing conditions or circumstances that happen in their lives and now we have to deal with big insurance Companies that do not care for the individual and only are worried about shareholders and big profits. May God show you the same grace that you show people that are hurt.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I went home from work on 10/7/2015 after not feeling well. I had a dr appointment that afternoon, I went and I wasn’t in the Dr's office 10 minutes but what an ambulance was called. I was taken to the hospital after my EKG was off the charts. After undergoing open heart surgery triple bypass and an aorta replacement I was forced to retire because I can't drive a truck without a certification from Department of Transportation after 24 years. I was 61 at the time and unable to work. I also have COPD, emphysema, arthritis, on inhalers constantly. Back problems and so much more. I can’t walk very far anymore without shortness of breath.

I also had to go back because I was getting angina again after the triple bypass. And they found that 2 arteries had fused together and closed so I had to go get a stent put in one of the veins so I’m only running on 2 arteries. So I get very short of breath and can’t sit or walk for a very long time. So I have been on long term disability and SSDI after doing tons of paperwork and seeing their Drs. and mine. Suddenly I was just cut off even though I am entitled to 1 1/2 more years of payments. No rhyme or reason. Case closed. I tried to talk with them but they said the same thing over and over, "Case closed." This place has a very bad reputation and I see why. As long as you're paying it in and not collecting they love you but when you have a claim they try everything they can to deny you.

I know it’s their job but omg I’m 64 years old now and denied my payments. Welcome to the old people’s world. I guess just disregard us after we turn so old that we don’t have to pay in anymore but do need some help. I mean after all I paid extra all that time just to get 60% instead of 50% and now nothing even though I can’t work. Case closed is all I told. Well I guess I better slow down taking my ** because I won’t be able to afford them anymore so probably just die of heart failure. Thanks Cigna. My grandchildren love you.

Resolution response: Dec. 6, 2018

Cigna did process the claim as they should have and for that I am satisfied. I was not at fault for the errors made during processing by the Cigna representative and should not have been punished by them withholding my claim. They did make an adjustment as requested regardless of being told they would not. For this reason, I am resolving the issue and appreciate their reconsideration on the decision previously.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have medical paperwork completed by my doctors. The claim manager at Pittsburgh has messed up the disability claim twice and now has cut my claim off. She first order a check and the amount was wrong so she canceled it. Then she authorized a check and the amount was incorrect. She has cut off my disability as she states I owe them $249 overpayment and she will not just make an adjustment on what they owe me. Furthermore, they are demanding all medical records, films, etc even though the doctor’s office completed all information.

I was in ICU for almost 4 days and in the hospital two weeks. I have doctor’s appointments with a cardiovascular surgeon and reoccurring appointments with my general physician. She will not approve my disability due to her own power trip and does not care about the fact that I am sick and paperwork was submitted. I did have paperwork submitted until off until 12/19/18 originally. I was paid one time for $521 up to 11/13/18.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Updated on 01/21/2019: Waiting on the case and nurse managers still checking what my drs were sending saying I need to stay out of work. I sent every record to the case and nurse person again. They always say, "We didn't get things" or that the dr didn't answer or something. That is a lie. The seizures I have I guess that stop me from talking and oh wait having tubes down my throat. I guess I can still go to work daily when that happens. I've done everything the Cigna case lady has asked me since October. Me calling her to find things out. But it took the nurse person for Cigna from October to January to decide that I wasn't sick enough or however they deny you. Now I'll still be sick and not being able to function my job and well because I've waited so long for nothing anything help from Cigna. I'm sure I'll be losing things also. Have a nice afternoon.

Original Review: I've been out of work since the end of June 2018. I had grand-mal seizures. Had more in August to the point the Drs put tubes in my throat and nose. So my boss told me to go on short term. I also had a heart attack and a stent put in in March. I went back to work 3 days after I got out. I've had so many Drs appt and Cigna has wanted the Drs to give them updates every appt. Even if in July my Dr put for me to stay out till November. If they "SAY" they don't get the update. They hold back your short term... Two of my Drs now have sent info to them. Primary and Neurologist but case manager just says, "We didn't receive it. Have them send it again." Let me call them. Ask which dr is which. Now the lady has closed my case. Even though I still sit at home having seizures. No-one gives help when you try to figure this out. It is just more stress for the people who are already dealing with sickness and other things.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I went out on STD on March 29 2018, due to severe anxiety panic disorder with agoraphobia. I sought treatment and was also diagnosed with high blood pressure, when My FMLA ran out sept 24 I was told I’d have to apply for Long Term Disability With Cigna through my job. It’s now November 13 and it’s still under review, every time I call they tell call back in a few days and I should have a decision. I’ve been with my job for 11 years, all of this is from my job. The stress anxiety etc. dealing with Cigna has given me setbacks in my treatment, my doctors have told me they’ve sent all required documentation as requested, Cigna has said that they haven’t gotten them or still waiting for them.

I have never missed worked or ever had to use any of these type services before, I think it’s a shame that all the comments I’ve read that this is a standard practice with Cigna. They’ve gotten paid by me for the last 11 years and now they want to fight me in getting the services I’ve paid for. This company should be looked at further and investigated. I’m praying I do find out soon, if not I’m out of luck. I can’t go back to work, and still have to find a way to pay for my meds.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I filed my claim for STD through my employer and Cigna two weeks prior to my surgery. To date I’ve been off 4 plus weeks and have not received any benefits! Not only did they make a mistake on my claim I spent hours on the phone trying to straighten this out only to be put on hold and transferred from person to person! I had to contact my employer to help with this. So frustrating they don’t have people working for them that know how to fix their mistakes! Horrible!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

All I can say is if you're able do not purchase anything from this insurance company!! I was off work for 8 weeks due to a disability I was born with and my employer not wanting to accommodate me after my Dr put me on a 50/50 restriction. I had to hire an employment lawyer in my area and send a nondiscrimination letter to my employer for accommodations so I could return to work due to a disability I was born with. My employer uses Cigna for our short term disability. I filed my claim on August the 8th and have went back to work but still no payment on my short term disability. I keep getting letters stating no supporting evidence to support my claim!!!

I have the back of a 90 year old person at the age of 49. I chose to work because I want to not because I have to. I have never seen such incompetence as I have with this company. I went to Scottish Rite Hospital for Crippled Children until I was 18. And here this company has a nurse telling me that I am able to stand 9 to 12 hours a day. REALLY!!! I am way over this incompetent company and on my way to seek legal counsel. Do not depend on Cigna to help you with anything even though they are paid to do so. I would challenge anyone of them at this company to work and live in my shoes for one day or one week they would never make it.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I had a spinal surgery in July 2018. I had problems from the very beginning. 1st... every time you call you are on hold for very long periods of time to try and speak with someone. Not one time did my STD payments arrive when the should have. My Dr moved offices so I called Cigna and asked them to change the address and fax number they had on file. Cigna did not make the change in their system and continually sent the forms they needed completed to an incorrect number. For 2 weeks they kept telling me my Dr was not responding. My Dr's office kept telling me they never received anything from Cigna.

Finally after multiple calls and being on hold forever I asked the case manager to review my Dr info and figured out they never made the changes when I previously called them. It then took them 4 days to make the change in their system. Forms were finally sent. My Dr returned the forms the next day and again a week and a half later after multiple calls and insisting to speak to a supervisor they finally approved that payment and thru the end of the month.

At my next Dr appt we discussed my return to work. He preferred that I stay off work longer than what my STD would allow. I was able to get him to agree to let me go back when it ends and he agreed if I worked 1/2 days for 2 weeks after. I am having difficulty sitting for more than a few hours at a time and I have a desk job. He completed the forms and Cigna denied/closed my claim. They felt I should have gone back to work 2 weeks ago! So now I will have to live off of 1 week's pay for a month. I guess they know better than my Dr! I also should mention that my last pay (which is already reduced) was also shorted. I am appealing the denial. Wonder how long that will take. I would "NOT " recommend Cigna. Unfortunately they are the STD provider the co. I work for uses.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I am entirely too exhausted and angry (at the same time) to give a decent, profane-free review of this company! If I had a choice to work with a different company, I would; however, this is the company with whom my employer is in bed. I am baffled as to how anyone could get better, vice worse while dealing with Cigna's methodical and counter-productive tactics. I do NOT expect anything to come of this review... just as what's happening with my STD claim! Shortly, I guess I'll be homeless with much of the Veteran population!!! Cigna should be ashamed of their practices and company, as a whole!!! P.S., I am giving only one star as zero will is not accepted!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I started my claim process several months ahead of time when I found out I was expecting. I was taken out of work early due to issues and concerns by my doctor and nearly 2 months later still don't know if my claim will even be approved for this unforseen time off. I thought things would be fine and didn't stress, but now I'm constantly stressed do to this company and their lack of communication. If they say they will contact you it's a lie and you better call them or you will never know anything.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I have been out of work since July 17th 2018 due to heat being too extreme for me to work in as I am pregnant. It's been 6 weeks since I have been without pay and I have called numerous times asking them what they need so my claim can be finalized. They keep telling me the hospital hasn’t got back to them and claim they have faxed over the papers 6 times, so I finally decided to call the hospital and ask them if they have got any paperwork for me.

This morning (August 27) I got a call back from my hospital at 8am stating that there were no forms for me waiting there, but they did have my significant others forms in which we dropped off this past Friday. I attempted to call Cigna and my case worker who is typically always the one I speak to is now out of office on vacation so I have to speak with someone else.

Upon speaking to them I asked to again verify the fax number they have on file though I have done this already on 3 different occasions and been told that is the same number they have on file, today that was not the case. So I updated the fax number and now they should be faxing it over after I got very upset on the phone as no money is causing a strain on my life at home.

I’m behind in bills and barely able to eat because we are living off of one income and unable to get any kind of assistance because the income for our home is considered “too high”. I have vehicle payments on top of rent, among many other bills that need to be paid in which aren’t getting paid because when something went wrong on Cigna’s end they waited for me to call them instead of them calling me. This company has issues and they need to get them figured out as this is ruining my credit and good name not having the money I am supposed to be getting because 6 weeks later my claim is “still under review” and I can only hope that I never have to go through any of this again!

Original review: July 22, 2018

My husband has Cigna Health, Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability policies through his employer. In March of this year, he was transported by ground ambulance to the nearest Trauma ER, where he was treated on an emergency basis and admitted to CCU, where he stayed for 8 days before being discharged to an acute care floor. After another 7 or 8 days, he was discharged to inpatient rehab, where he stayed for another week. Of course, there were several providers that treated him during this time that are not in the plan network. As of today, all but 4 of the providers have been paid under "enhanced" benefits, meaning they are being treated as if they are actually in the network. The employer handled the FMLA paperwork and got the ball rolling on the STD with Cigna right away.

I was in contact with the claim specialist right away and overall, checks were submitted pretty much like clockwork without more than a short glitch or 2. I constantly kept his assigned claim rep in the loop as to his status via faxes and voicemail. My only real frustration came when his status changed to LTD. Most of that was because I was not aware that instead of weekly payments, payments would only be made monthly in "arrears", meaning, once his claim was approved, he would be paid once per month, at the end of that month. Correspondence from CIGNA comes very slowly, a letter dated 7/13/18 advising that his claim had been approved did not arrive here until 7/21/18. I have never had an issue with calling them and not receiving a return call.

Any information that they need that I can provide them - I always ask and offer. Such as, on the 16th when I spoke to his claim specialist Kelly, she told me the claim had been approved but they were waiting for 12 months worth of check stubs from his employer to calculate the "award". I asked if I could supply her with them, she was surprised by the offer, and said, "Sure you can, if you have access to them." So I did, and by the 19th we had our first payment on the LTD claim. Even though I make sure to follow up regularly and ask questions and have called CIGNA Health several times to get claims taken care of - I can't really say that anyone at CIGNA has been anything but helpful.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I have been lied to, misled, told my health information was not received when my health insurance has provided the documentation to them as recently as 7/6/2018. I agree that I've been feeling as of late that CIGNA does intentionally engage in delay tactics. I was yelled at by Sarah of CIGNA Solutions and Nicki **. Very unprofessional agents. First Nicki ** tells me on June 15, 2018 that her department doesn't work with my type of request and Sarah will be taking over as case manager, that I should defer to her moving forward. I asked about whether receiving documentation from her should concern me she told me no, only focus on the paperwork Sarah sends me.

Sarah calls me once in the last month, I have tried to get a hold of her every single day, leaving voicemail after voicemail to no avail. I call again on 6/26 and 7/6 spoke to agents Elaine and Charlotte. Both told me to continue ignoring paperwork received from Nicki as Sarah was my case manager. I get paperwork from Nicki on July 2, telling me I have to fill out FMLA leave forms and submit them by July 8. I get this paperwork in the middle of a holiday week, what were they expecting me to do, I attempt to call my case manager Sarah again. Find out she's on vacation, talk to another agent, I am told to continue holding off on submitting any paperwork from Nicki until I can touch bases with Sarah. Finally she calls me last week, July 10, I missed her phone call by five minutes. I called her over and over again, left voicemails the whole week, she never returned my calls.

Finally Sarah calls me back on July 17, 2018. Apparently they have been unable to collect anything from Kaiser let alone get a hold of the medical records office. She says she's been leaving voicemail and sending out emails but no one has responded. (This turned out to be a lie, one, Kaiser has no voicemail option for the records office, two, Kaiser agent Darla told me my records have been accessed by CIGNA and all documents they've requested have been sent out.) She starts getting frustrated with me and says she's been trying to reach me, I only have two missed messages from her, one on June 15, and the other July 10, does that sound like she's been trying to reach me?

Furthermore, she probably doesn't realize that I know she's been on vacation and her voicemail stating she was "away from the office" changed to "I am on the phone with a client" on July 9. Trying to reach me? Yeah a bunch of malarkey. I almost lose it but I get my composure again after she stops yelling. I start from the top, "You're requesting paperwork, okay I will submit the paperwork now that I have clarification on what it is for. What about the paperwork from Nicki? She sent me FMLA documents, I don't qualify for that just yet." "Well if you don't qualify for that, ignore it then, don't send it in. Send me the documentation I am requesting via email, this is a courtesy we don't normally ask for documentation via email." She says she is going to reach out to Kaiser again and get a hold of them and resend the request (Again later I find out from Kaiser that they have been nothing but compliant with CIGNA).

I get this funny feeling like I am being duped. I call Nicki explain what happened with Sarah, she goes off on me. She starts yelling I need that paperwork, "Why didn't you call me when I sent it out to you?" Well for starters, you told me my case manager was Sarah when I reached out to you on June 15, 2018 and you told me yourself to ignore any paperwork from your end because your department which deals with Leaves isn't part of the Disability department and pending approval from Disability will mean that I get Leave. Furthermore, you told me to direct all questions to my case manager but Sarah's been on vacation and not returning any of my calls (I literally bombarded her voicemail on Friday 7/13, calling every hour).

Finally I've had enough of her attitude and ask to speak to her supervisor, Pat. I told him what's going on that CIGNA's agents have been giving me false and misleading information. That thanks to them telling me not to turn in paperwork from Nicki because it didn't apply to my case, and that I was told not to as recently as an hour ago by my own damn case manager Sarah, that I have missed a seemingly important deadline. Well apparently there is nothing that can be done about that. So basically I am screwed, since I've gone on leave on June 11, 2018 I have not received a penny from CIGNA. I've been lied to, mislead, told the wrong information and I am the one getting penalized for it. I told that Supervisor he better review the phone calls as they are all recorded right? I swear we need to file a class action lawsuit against this company.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I am going on short term disability due to a surgical procedure. Was ask to approve information given to Cigna and that I could receive a copy of the voice approval. After 30 minutes was told I could not receive a copy until a case manager was assigned the case. The voice approval said I was entitled to one upon request. What is the runaround for a simple request. I would change insurance companies but it is my company's plan.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I was rushed to the hospital Feb. 4 and I was in ICU for several days. I did not come to until 3 days. My family was called in because they had no idea was wrong. Anyway I was put on STD. First off the ER wanted me to go to rehab for 4 weeks but that was Denied. So they sent a nurse, PT, and OT to my house for 6 weeks twice a week. I had to learn to rest, walk and, communicate on top of call Cigna every month. About 2 months in I started getting denial letters with no reasoning why so I had to call 2 or 3 times before I could get in touch with someone. When I did they were telling me they didn't receive doctor's notes.

A few times I had to pay someone to take me to the doctor's office to talk to them about sending notes and they kept telling me their office never received anything to respond to. After that was resolved it happened the next month, but this time they said the denial letter was sent out before they got that month's notes from the doctor and that the letters were usually late getting to me. Now the last month I was at home they are denying me again!!! This time because of doctor's notes and communication again.

The Cigna rep told me, kept telling me when I go back to work if I am put on part time they will pay the hours not work as part of an incentive to go back to work. Well, come back to work part time for a month and a half now and guess what? Denied again. So, finally I 3-way the doctor and Cigna which is my last resort before appealing if it is denied again. How am I supposed to get better with all this worry about pay that is due to me??? It is very stressful and full of migraines. This is the only insurance offered by my company so I have no choice! I'd give anything for Blue Cross Blue Shield!!! NO TO CIGNA.

Original review: June 27, 2018

My husband had neck surgery (2 disc replaced) in April '2018. He was approved to receive STD prior to surgery, at a reduced rate mind you. He's only been paying into this account for 38 yrs., and has never filed a claim. Well, let me say, dealing with CIGNA has been a NIGHTMARE!!! They make what is already a difficult situation nearly impossible. He has had to call them several times a week. Each time they state they need more information, which the hospital has supplied gladly and when requested. He has still not been released to return to work, his next doctor's appointment isn't until 7/12/18, which CIGNA was made aware of. And somehow and for some unknown reason they have canceled his benefits. Now, when he calls his caseworker, whose name is Rebecca, her VM states she is out of the office and unavailable. These people ARE shameless and useless.

Updated on 06/28/2018: Company response 6/27/18: "I can't tell you how sorry I am for your frustration surrounding your husband's disability claim. Please email me at LetUsHelpU@cigna.com so I can look into this and help." Your response 6/28/18: Ok TE, what would you like to know? Bottom line is they cut off his benefits without even informing us. I don't know how that is even legal. He has a very demanding and dangerous job. He HAS NOT been released from Dr's care at this point. Like I said previously, which your agent was aware of, his next Dr's appointment isn't until 7/12/18. Your company is putting us in a very bad situation, both financially and emotionally.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Thanks again for Consumer Affairs... The reason for my email is to share that Cigna's Claudia - HAS DELAYED, DENIED MY disability claim since May 20, 2018 delay after delay with Cigna EVEN THOUGH my VA Primary Doctor in writing verifying my injuries, loss of days out of work, I've earned Perfect Attendance for the last years but been employed for almost 9 years.

The reason I'm out of work now because I was ATTACKED & INJURED by a co worker for no reason. Not to mention my employer has reduced the last check to crumbs and when I called Payroll treated this veteran with TOTAL -- DISTAIN!!! Which I was responsible in case of any surprises; arranged years ago DISABILITY and I PAID CIGNA to deduct the cost out of my earned paycheck - weekly but Claudia Cigna's (Claims Manager)... after faxes still hell-bent on withholding my DISABILITY Benefit Payment that I'VE EARNED & PAID FOR BECAUSE... I'm the injured victim & hurt in pain suffering.

What's a man without money to live. Cigna's Claim Manager's Claudia ** is acting in bad faith claim while I can't pay my bills, affecting my good name/credit, medical health after my doctor keeps faxing medical documents Claudia required and requested SAME RECORDING' UNDER REVIEW... UNDER REVIEW, UNDER REVIEW. I've exhausted my savings and Claudia is ACTING IN BAD FAITH AS CLAIMS MANAGER! Thanks to my veterans friends, friends and loved ones especially thank you God!!!

Original review: June 17, 2018

If you have a mental disability and you apply for disability through Cigna you are totally screwed. I went on disability in October 2017 due to depression, anxiety and borderline personality disorder. Everything went fine until January 2018. Then BOOM! Denied! They came up with all kinds of reasons. First they weren’t receiving the requested documentation. It just snowballed from there. If you have a somewhat decent day they think you are ready to go back to work not understanding that mental illness is like being on a roller coaster.

Here it is mid June and I have received no money at all. I have no medical insurance. I have to beg and borrow to get my medication and make it to my psychiatrist visits. I sometimes wonder if Cigna is holding out hope that I just kill myself so I will leave them alone. I sometimes don’t know what to do. I just don’t know how much longer I can take it. I’m on my second appeal. Received a letter at the end of May saying they needed 45 more days to review my records. Dear Cigna why don’t you just provide me with a gun.

Original review: June 13, 2018

After being on STD and covered by CIGNA I have to say that it has not been a very good experience. I was sent a letter stating my weekly benefits and contacted my rep. She gave me misleading information about my benefits and when they would arrive. Today I did not receive my benefits and called her. She stated she just got into her emails to see that I was still going to be on STD so would issue my benefits. So now I have to wait several more days before I get paid. I normally get paid benefits on Wednesdays and had to cancel an appointment because I didn't get the scheduled payment. It is incredibly frustrating and stressful to be on STD because you never know when or if you're going to be paid. The reps here need more training and need the correct information when discussing benefits. This causes clients stress and frustration.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I am out of work temporarily. Cigna insurance is the short-term disability provider for my employer. After each doctor post-op visit, the doctor is required to submit a clinic note to justify continuation of benefits. My eligibility date to receive payments was 12/29/2017. The disability payments right now is my only source of my own income. After each doctors visit, the doctors office immediately faxed over the information required. Each time, Cigna claimed they didn't have the paperwork, or they needed more information, or they had to contact the doctor regarding the nature of my job. Each time I call Cigna to inquire about delay, I received different information from each person I spoke to.

Cigna is using delay tactics. After this last doctor visit, 3/29/2018, as usual the information was sent in. Continuation of my disability has still not been approved. I have been told 3 different reasons by 3 different people why. So I have been without a check for 3 weeks. Short term disability is only 60% of one's salary. I have been lied to, my claims have been delayed; in my opinion these are delay tactics on the part of Cigna. The process they use to pay clients who are legitimately unable to temporarily work, are certainly not done hastily, or with any thought that it is the client's much needed income.

Updated on 04/18/2018: My last doctor appointment was 3/29/2018. After many attempts for information regarding my disability claim, I found out after several weeks my claim has been denied. This was after phone call after phone call, email after email, with no one giving me a straight answer about the delay and lack of answers. My job requires me to walk all day, and am currently in a short leg cast. This disability right now is my only income. Obviously I am going to appeal, which will take a long time, I can only imagine.

Perhaps Cigna didn’t like the wording of the doctor's note with his recommendation of no weight bearing for a few more weeks, or the X-ray report. The point is that when a claim is being denied, Cigna has no regard for a person's situation regarding anxiety, finances, etc. and that their delay in notification to the insured is atrocious. Each person I spoke to gave me a different answer to my questions. My claim manager was rarely ever available by phone, a call to a supervisor was only returned after I called a second time. This has been going on for weeks. So I am still in a situation of not being able to work, and have no income. This lack of communication is just inexcusable.

If there was a doubt that my claim would be denied and had they communicated this, I could have been proactive in getting more information from my doctor. It is apparent after reading other reviews on this site that I am not the only person dealing with the below poor customer service, horrible communication, and bad business practices of this company.

Original review: March 14, 2018

CIGNA closes my LTD claim without any notice. My February check was short, so I called CIGNA on 2/28/18. Was told my claim manager would look into it and get back to me. I have made three calls to find out what's going on. I found out today that my claim was closed. No notice. No call. When I called today for an update and was informed that my claim is closed, I was told my case manager called me on my cell on 3/9/18. But my cell call log doesn't show any incoming calls. Now, I'm stuck. I'm in the process of appealing SSDI. I now have no money, I'm not married and have no other means of support. I can hardly get out of bed. I guess they want me to join the homeless. Jokes on them, I'll kill myself first.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Cigna says they provide 60% of pay for S.T.D. They must have felt obligated to keep all the change that would equal my 60%. They were giving me 59% for 3 months. Also, they would only approve me until my next doctor visit even though at the beginning of my claim, the doctor told them I would be out until 2 weeks after my surgery. I went on disability in October, surgery was in December, I went back to work in January. I had to call them weekly to update them that I would still be out after PRE-op appointments, then had to wait 2 weeks for them to catch up and approve it. I really hope I never have to go on disability again through Cigna.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I filed for STD with Cigna and of course it wasn’t enough information. I suffer from internal tremors in my head and right hand also fibromyalgia. My memory is bad from the fibro fog. I’m a nurse that is right-handed and starts IV daily. But Cigna states that I can work because I have some grip and can raise my arms over my head. I can barely get out of bed due to severe pain. I’m shaking and I can work. My Dr. has clearly stated all this. They denied me and closed my case. I have appealed it and awaiting their decision. I do have a lawyer if I get denied again. They have nurses not doctors making these decisions. I will never go through them again after I get what is owed to me. They should be taken out of business.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I have been out of work since 10/13/16. Today is 12/4/16. Cigna has been provided all necessary paperwork and has yet to approve my disability. Furthermore, they have failed to provide my employer with my FMLA paperwork. I've left messages and called everyday. They are well aware I may lose my house because of this and have still not contacted me or approved my leave. Shameful company.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

When my husband had to take leave for back injury his employer told us we'd receive $174 a week. Well let me tell you we lived on $45 for two weeks. A family of four, no food stamps, no nothing, these people have literally ruin our kids Christmas. Please do NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Cigna Disability Insurance Company Information