Cigna Disability Insurance

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Short term delayed due to lack of common sense. My husband is a diabetic who at 43 just had glaucoma surgery, unable to work. Has paperwork filled out, doctor sent and Cigna always has an excuse as to why they are still reviewing. They don't have all the info or now they need something else sent or filled out. They are so incompetent of doing their job, lack of common sense! It's been a month and no one seems to know what they are doing there! I'm sick of dealing with 3rd parties instead of the employer. I give Cigna no thumbs up, they suck at what they do!! Very, very very disappointed!!!

Do not give your money to this company. I worked for a company in the HR department and paid for short and long term disability. I had a tumor between my spine and spinal cord. I was left with nerve damage and I'm totally disabled. They paid me for 2 years then stopped. They sent me to one of their employees to give me a test to see what I was able to do. He told me at any time I couldn't take anymore I could stop. I did as much as I could stand to do. Cigna said the guy said I didn't try and just gave up and left. They said they were not going to pay my LTD.

I have a lawyer who sent me to another company to give me the test. They said I was not able to work. When Cigna reviewed it again they used the 1st test they did on me, to take more time. If they turn me down this time we are going to sue them. I can't wait, I have been waiting so many years to get paid. My husband passed away last year, I have a mentally handicap son, I need that money. I can't believe they can get away doing this to so many people.

I filed my STD claim 2/28. I have my doctor fax the required form and office visit notes. My first week of disability would be 3/27. When I saw my doctor 3/21 his office faxed the required paperwork and office visit notes. I called the contact person and said the notes were not received and that there is a lag time with their faxes, several day lag time. My doctor's office faxed these office visit notes five times. My contact person was out last week. I spoke to someone Friday who said yes they just received the notes and she would forward them to the office for review.

I called today Monday and spoke with my contact person and said these notes were not even sent to the office for review. He will send them today for review tomorrow. I asked why tomorrow when it was only 11:15. "Oh the office needs to have them at 900 to review them." Very suspicious that when it comes time to pay me they closed my claim without notifying me. So now I will wait again. I call several times per week. This contact person I spoke to the day before they closed my claim. This is poor business practice. My employer pays CIGNA money for my STD.

I am VERY unhappy with the services that I have received from CIGNA. I lost my baby due to a pregnancy complication on March 2, 2017 and I had to go on leave from work. I filed a claim with CIGNA (short term disability) and it has been nothing but a big headache. I have to call these people at least 2-3 times a week just to get my check mailed to me. I am still awaiting my final check from CIGNA. I feel that I shouldn't have to call them this many times to make sure they're doing their job. I have been very compliant with every request they have asked of me. I feel like the Reps don't care about their clients or their needs. I will definitely be seeking another insurance company SOON!!!

I am a type 1 diabetic with very high to low sugars along with stage 3-4 renal failure. I suffer from depression along with blood clotting disorder on top of anemia, and now recently been diagnosed with gastrointestinal disorder. I have been on long term for over a year now and had to go to doctor many, many times before. It was good enough for them To accept with all these illnesses. My doctor retired and left notes on November who put me on disability and what do you know they wanted notes from a doctor I just have gotten established to and have seen one time which he even said looking at my chart I have a chart of an 89 year old woman and I am in my thirties.

I have not chose this life and instead of letting me worry about my health Cigna is making sure I quit with trying to get my ltd. I asked them before I went to new doctor what they needed from him and then never gave me any paperwork. So with that being said I emailed my Cigna contact and asked over and over if I needed anything because the new doctor wasn't quite sure with what exactly they were needing besides a copy of the 15 things I'm dealing with. What else they needed to understand I'm sick. I of course got no response. So guess what I am back to square one with them. Don't worry when it comes to health and mine and taking a stand. I'm a fighter. They can go screw themselves because I refuse to let them and their crew win.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

If you are reading this, hopefully you have not paid these criminals a dime!!! Long story short, believe all these negative reviews! Also known as "LINA" Cigna Life Insurance Co. of North America. NEARLY EVERY NEGATIVE thing you see in the foregoing rating HAS HAPPENED TO ME AT LAST 3-10 TIMES. I was constantly lied to! They try to make everything your job (to do their job). I finally call them on the lies. They back off for a month. But go on the same.

I was told by my claims rep that California (where I live/work), did not have legal jurisdiction on my policy because the policy was "written in TEXAS" ***BUZZ LIE #1. **! Not only do they fall under California insurance laws but they have knowledge of this, and but are under court order in California among other things, but they knew about then order, to stop high pressure and deceptive practice. I could go on for an hour about my bad feelings and bad experiences, as they never STOPPED! RUN!!! DON'T WALK AWAY FROM THIS HORRIBLE COMPANY!

I am 62 years old and have been at the same company for over 41 years. I have been paying for this LTD for that long and have never use it. I went out for medical problems and filed with this mickey mouse con insurance. I have never heard or seen this type of treatment by any company but this company you should stay away from or not carry through them. Yes like others have said they keep putting you off and throw more and more paperwork out at you. At one point my surgeon got on the phone with Cigna at his office and told them upfront what else do they want. They couldn't answer the question. I talked with other employees at my company and they too ran into the same problem. If you like being lied too, given wrong info, put off, stay pissed off, deal with fraud, and last but not least NEVER getting them to do their job or return a phone call this insurance company is for you.

This has been the worst experience ever. I have paid a policy for years in case something ever happened to me. Now they have you go in hoops trying to get information for them. They NEVER return phone calls - they can care less that you have a policy with them and will do anything possible to deny it. I took out this policy so that I would be able to feed my family if something happened to me, guess what we are not eating - can't afford to go to physical therapy due to having a copay and no income. This company and its employees are absolutely useless. I had a surgery on January 20, 2017 and they decided my disability stopped Feb 2nd. Absolutely absurd. I sincerely hope one day these employees have to go thru what they are doing to others. It's called karma.

I had to take a leave of absence due to an accident and filed a short term disability claim with Cigna. This is the process:

1. File your claim for STD benefits. There is a form that you can print out from their web portal, to have your doctor complete. This is good enough to get things started, but "it's the wrong form" and the ** who was assigned to my case had to mail me the correct form. It will take them at least 2 weeks to "process" your initial claim. My first check was mailed week 3 and it takes 5 whole days to get to my mailbox. File your claim ASAP. If you are being treated for behavioral health issues, the max coverage is 3 months. Make sure the doctor uses an ID10 code for something that is not behavioral health related.

2. They decide if they are going to approve your claim for month 1. This is the first approval. If successful here, payments will begin arriving weekly for up to 3 weeks. Counting the 1 week waiting period, this covers your first month. No matter what return to work date your doctor writes on the authorization form, they will only approve up to 3 weeks on the first one. See your doctor often and report everything that is happening which impacts your ability to return to work. Insist that your doctor puts those complaints in your chart notes.

3. Your first extension. I got this faxed in a week before my first approval ended (Week 3). This triggers a review of your claim and your claim manager will send your file to medical. This process takes another 2 weeks and documents start getting lost. Faxes need to be resent. The documents are not filled out right, boxes are not checked, only got page 2 and 7 in THE MAIL! I finally receive a payment during week 8, covering 4 weeks.

4. Month 3. If you file an extension to continue your claim thru weeks 9-12, your claim with be randomly selected for review. Cigna will send a new list of questions to the doctor and request additional information about your condition. These questions are designed to lead the doctor into describing the environment required to return you to work. What accommodations are needed? How many breaks? Time standing, sitting, walking, typing. If the doctor says there are accommodations required to return you to work, they will close your claim and tell your employer to make those accommodations.

There is a phone interview with Medical asking you to explain why you are unable to return to work and what it will take to get you back in the office. I told them that I would be unreliable and would not be able to function as a dependable part of the team in my current condition. If your extension gets approved, they will take you into week 12/13. For behavioral health issues, 3 months is the max coverage.

5. Deny, Close and stop payment. If you file an extension to take you into the 4th month, your claim will be denied and your claim will be closed. The insurance company's procedures are designed to draw out this process as long as possible. They are betting they will cause so much frustration and confusion that you will give up. You will receive a form letter that explains what information they used to come to the conclusion that you are healed and ready to go back to work. The insurance company has no downside to closing your claim at this point. If it stays closed, they don't have to pay you and only a small percentage of claims are ever appealed.

6. The Appeal. As soon as you receive the denial letter, follow the instructions to request a copy of your claim file. This can take a few weeks to process and must be done in writing. If you have been able to figure out the email address of your claim manager, you can save some time and request the file by sending an email message. READ the file. The reason they are using to justify their decision is in the file!! AND!! The definition of disabled according to your policy will be in the file.

Write a letter requesting that your case be sent to the appeals department. It takes 2 weeks, from when they receive your request, for your case to be assigned to a case manager. The process of gathering your file and submitting everything for review takes them 45 days. I had my doctor write a letter reiterating the reason they signed the disability extension form and faxed that to the new Claim Manager. I was asked if there is anything else I want to submit to support the clinical determination of my disability several times, and with the same wording I expect they are going to attempt to reject my appeal and blame me for not providing them with the necessary documents. If you have the full copy of your file, you know everything they know. Study this information. I expect they will begin forgetting about the records they DO have and I will be put in a position where I will have to remind them of what they know and when they knew it.

Bottom line is, you are disabled when your doctor says you are disabled. So, if your doctor says you are disabled, signs a letter affirming the fact and you have STD coverage, you are entitled to receive payment for the period of time determined by your doctor. The insurance company is depending on you to give up on collecting your benefits and have designed this process to be difficult, drawn out and as short as possible.

I have been paying Cigna for Short/Long term disability for many years. They like their bill to be paid and even on time but when it comes time to pay on a claim Be aware you will probably not receive anything. I went out on short term disability due to a work injury. The Doctor put me on limited work status and my employer was unable to accommodate the restrictions, so I was put off of work. Cigna paid the claim after requiring me to do most of the legwork to collect the necessary documents. They paid me for 4 weeks on the claim. I went back to the MD and he said he was keeping me on limited duty because I was not ready to go back to work full time. This is when Cigna decided to stop paying me stating that I was able to work limited duty.

I explained to them that my work would not let me come back until I was at a non limited status. They said that this was not their problem. I had to put in appeal after appeal to no avail. I would call and the agent would say, "that should be covered. Go ahead and appeal," and weeks later I would receive a letter stating it was denied and I did not have any appeals left. Later during this process I had to have surgery and was put off of work on total disability. I called Cigna and the agent said "oh yes we should cover that. Go ahead and put in a new claim." I put in the new claim only to get a very angry Cigna representative calling to tell me I was not allowed to put in a new claim, even though the company advised me to do so.

This company tries to wear you down so you will just give up because they have frustrated you beyond your breaking point. I think to myself what if someone needed this claim to be paid to be able to eat and provide for their family. I pray that these folks that work at Cigna never have to go through this process and get denied by such uncaring workers or company. My Sister in Law had a Aflac plan and they paid for everything for her family.

Cigna's process is extremely slow, stressful and exhausting and it seems as if they intentionally drag you along just to deny the claim. I have been out of work on disability since April 2016. I recently had to apply for Cigna's long term disability. Three of my physicians have recommended and deemed me physically unable to return back to work. All of my physicians have provided completed forms in addition to office notes - (149 pgs.) However Cigna has denied the claim stated that my limitations should allow me to continue to work. I have not received any disability payment causing financial hardship.

Now that I am on long term medical leave, my employer requires that I pay my medical insurance which I am not able to because Cigna has held all disability payments. I fear that I will lose my medical coverage soon and will not be able to continue receiving medical treatment for my medical conditions. All of this waiting and their avoidance has caused financial hardship and additional stress and anxiety which are causing me additional health issues. They have left me with no other option but to hire an attorney. My treating physician are very annoyed with the fact that Cigna's medical team can disregard their professional expertise and professional and personal experience with my medical conditions/treatment as their patient without ever seeing me.

Also Cigna's web page statement regarding long term disability is very misleading to the consumer, "Cigna Long-Term Disability plans can pick up where Short-term Disability leaves off, with helping to ensure a continued flow of income if you can't work for an extended period of time due to an illness or injury. You can pay bills and focus on getting well." Cigna should be required to removed this false statement.

I was approved to receive short term disability for being off work due to an illness. After receiving the 1st month's payment my doctor sent in documentation keeping me off work for an additional 2 months. As each month went by and the doctor sent in the updated paperwork, Cigna never contacted myself or sent me any further payments. I left numerous messages, faxes & mailed in copies of medical paperwork with no response. I was finally able to speak with a Cigna representative today who told me my claim was still active but I am not eligible to receive any payments at this time. She could not tell me why either. She was rude & unsympathetic. I asked her to have my claim representative give me a call. This will be the 3rd day in a row this week I've left her a message with no response for her. I plan on cancelling this plan when I get back to work & discussing this with the HR department about a change.

I became disabled in 2004 and carried my insurance with me however I did get hospital Part A free because I went on SS Disability. Cigna paid all claims when submitted but the past 2 years have been a nightmare. They pay a claim then request their money back from the providers and then reprocess and pay again. Was just told because I'm eligible for Medicare, they are no longer primary. Nobody ever told me this and yet they have paid claims since 2004. Now I never know what bills they're gonna send back to me. I've never seen such incompetent people in my life and they need to be held accountable for their actions.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Although in a previous review, I stated that my claim had been denied, the denial paperwork I received was not for the claim in question. My actual claim was approved with no conditions and my Claim Manager was accessible and responsive. Perhaps CIGNA is aware of the level of client dissatisfaction and is beginning to change!

Lisa of Cary, NC on

Original Review

I recently fell at work when the heel of my pump caught in my other pant leg. I broke one wrist and badly sprained the other and the doctor wrote me off of work for 4 weeks. CIGNA required that I file a Workers' Compensation claim first, and although it seemed like a long-shot, I complied. The CIGNA rep assured me that I'd be covered by them, should the WC claim be denied. I think she actually said, "We have your back." Predictably, the WC claim was denied, as the injury was determined to be "not work related."

Today, CIGNA denied my claim, determining that the injury "WAS work-related." The whole thing seemed absurd so I Googled "CIGNA STD claims" and I now know the full extent of their unethical practices. Our company is approaching open-enrollment time for next year's coverage and I'm going to research other options. My prayers go out to all of you who are dealing with this horrible company while also battling serious health conditions. God bless you!

I am waiting for my short term to be approved and it's been 4 wks. You call your case manager and all you get is voice mail. They try very hard to find reasons to not pay out so if you are looking at filing for short term make sure you have a lawyer and your insurance commission ready to intervene. I just reported them and had my lawyer get involved.

In July 2016 my husband was having back problems, our family doctor sent him to see an orthopedic doctor who took him out of work until they could find out what the problem was. After over 8 weeks and 10+ visits to the doctors and not working he is still waiting on CIGNA to start his short term disability. He started the paper work around July 27, 2016 and all phone calls were made by him to his "case worker". We checked into why it has not started and naturally the company handling the doctors records charge for copies and mailing. CIGNA has not paid the $10 to get the copies, which they deny, saying they have paid. Enough is enough. We are broke because any saving has been paid to the doctors and to our monthly bills. Get off your butt and do your job.

I found out my mother was dying with dementia and I was not taking it well. I finally had to go to the Dr. for severe panic attacks. I work in retail and I am with customers everyday. I could not perform my daily functions. My Dr. took me out on leave and I was out from July 5th until Oct. 3rd. Trying to receive my check from disability was even more stressful. I got behind in all my bills. I am on my way to being evicted and having my utilities cut off and I am going to probably lose my car as well. I have not received a check since the 13st of September.

Please, if you are considering paying for disability insurance of any kind don't waste your money. They will always find a way to deny you and I have paid for this for years and now because my Dr. did not word things the way they thought they should be worded they have ruined my life and I am going to lose everything. Insurance used to be good. Now it is a joke. Nothing but a money racket. As long as you pay in every mo. all is well but if you need it, you may as well forget it...

I have been on short term disability then switched to long term. They first messed up on my pay. They found out after paying me for 8 weeks that maybe part was taxable. So I went from around 500 to 90 per week. Then they began LTD and I haven't gotten a thing since Aug 22 which was 70.00. They won't pay out 'til 30 days. I don't understand that - if approved by them, why the wait? They mail checks and it takes between 4-7 days to get. No direct deposit. Then their "guidelines" say I will be ready in 84 days.

Btw I had BOTH knees totally replaced. They tried that with my right on first and doc said no. Then I had to threaten a lawyer as well. And I can't contact my HR dept as they are as bad or worse. Still no answers as to why taxable. I pay premiums post tax. They also hired a company call ALLSUP to work me over on to SSDI. Even trying for full disability. If I call and talk to the rep Marcel he is like well..."I can try to look in to it." If they put me on SSDI then they want theirs back. Also don't understand why I pay them if going to SSDI. This has gone on too long.

I was diagnosed with Episodic ataxia type 2 in 2013. I had been having trouble for years with balance, migraine headaches, Vertigo, slurred speech, Syncope, etc. I have been harassed by Cigna since day one. They sent me to their own doctor who said I was permanently disabled. They continue to send paperwork to fill out knowing I can't be stressed out cause it makes my symptoms worse. My husband who is writing this for me takes care of me. I need a lawyer to make sure they are paying me the right amount of money. I paid for this disability for years and when I need it they do nothing but harass me. My doctor said he will not fill out any more paperwork and told me to get a lawyer. I just want to know who all are you using? I'm so fed up with Cigna and my caseworker Nicholas. Please give me advice on who to call. Thank you.

I share these same griefs. My experience has been a nightmare dealing with Cigna. I was taken off work by my doctor for a traumatic brain injury, two herniated discs, and dislocated shoulder back in April 2016. I am seeing a pain doctor and treating with a neurologist. Even though my memory lapses and I suffer migraine headaches, I've worsened since dealing with this company. And no matter what my doctor sends it's never enough. They will approve for short periods of time, then make you jump through hoops as if you are a circus act for help for something we paid for. It's not worth the stress or rudeness. But I refuse to give them the benefit and quit. Good luck to anyone who gets denied. Cigna cares for no one.

My story has not yet developed to the extent of dissatisfaction that most of you have expressed but it's still in it's infancy stages and I expect to be joining the rest of you soon based on preliminary conversations with my so called case worker. Three years ago I had anterior cervical discectomy at C3 - C4. It came out of nowhere one morning and literally shut down my body. I could not stand straight, had difficulty walking, experienced shooting pain in my back, arms and legs. I immediately went to my primary care physician who submitted a request to Cigna for an MRI.

Cigna responded with the following; Coverage decision - "the service you requested is not covered;" followed by several lame reasons why they would not pay for it. Upon receiving the rejection my PCP got in contact with a neurologist who submitted for an EMG test. That was approved so the test was administered. Based on the test results, the neurologist could tell something was terribly wrong so he now made the request to Cigna for the MRI. By now, over a month had passed and my condition was getting worse. I get the MRI done on a Thursday and Friday, the neurologist calls me and says he scheduled me for emergency surgery the following Monday (April 1st) as I am on the verge of being paralyzed. The disc had crushed the spinal cord sack to a point where no fluid was traveling past the damaged area.

Monday I show up at the hospital and have the operation, the next day when the neurosurgeon comes to see me he says the injury was so old that he had enough bone spur to scrape and use for the fusion. We go for a walk around the nurses station and I still have difficulty walking and the back pain is still there. When I tell him how I feel he says it will take time to recover as all the signals traveling down my body had re-routed to different sets of nerves and the brain would have to sync with the correct nerves after the pressure was relieved.

I lost all strength in my legs by now and could not get up off the floor or walk more than 20 yards without experiencing pain that reached a level 9 on the chart. So now I start my office calls with the surgeon and go off to PT for several weeks. No help from the PT, actually made me worse for several days after each visit, keep telling the surgeon on each visit and now develop a stronger radiating pain in my left shoulder which I also tell the doc about and he attributes that to the disc damage.

This goes on for almost two years, no problem from Cigna on office calls, PT, or a request for another cervical MRI to see if anything would show up. MRI does not show anything conclusive other than a white spot that was identified as a potential cyst in the lumbar/thoracic region. I decide to move south with my job as I was petrified of walking in the snow and falling down where someone might not see me. Before I go the neurosurgeon finally says this may be how I live the rest of my life.

The day before I leave, I call Emory Hospital in Atlanta and ask for an appointment and explain the situation. A few days later the person I drove down with takes me to Emory and I see the head of the orthopedic division, his bio reads like a who's who in spinal cord field. He reviews my MRI and says 75% of the people who have an injury as bad as mine get better, 20% stay the same and 5% get worse. I continue down to Macon where I take residence and start seeing the local orthopedic surgeons. They want their own MRI performed so we do another one. Now they see white spots on the spinal cord and say they believe them to be scar tissue which has formed as the healing process continued and also say there is nothing they can do improve my condition.

I do complain about the lingering arm pain so they agree to do an EMG test on the left arm and leg. At the end of the test the doctor says I have something going on in the elbow area and thinks it may be a Tommy John's injury and also says there are indications of permanent nerve damage in the right leg. He schedules an appointment with one of the other doctors about a week out. The day before my appointment I wake up with my small and ring finger curled or hooked under and cannot straighten them. I go to my appointment and immediately upon seeing my hand this doctor says I have Ulnar nerve entrapment and need surgery. Again no complaints from Cigna.

After the operation the doctor says the nerve was pretty flat when he opened my arm up and was unsure of the extent of the damage and says it will take about six months to see if the nerve regenerates. Six months pass, no improvement so that also looks permanent. I have atrophy in several locations on my hand and to this day have little to no use of those two fingers and a constant tingling in the thumb. All this time I am still working.

In the last six to eight months things are getting worse, I developed spasms in my legs, have started falling, get severe pain in the ankles and legs and a host of other ailments. By now I have a new primary care doctor who I see on a monthly basis and finally says "don't I think it's time to consider disability," I finally agree due to my age and just can't take the day to day pain any more so we file a claim for STD with Cigna.

So far, just as all of you have said, nothing as far as paperwork is good enough. Mind you, this is coming from a case worker that has little to no medical training but says she has nurses available for consultation. In my book, a nurse is a far cry from a neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon. I even had a call from another woman who works for Cigna and has a 1001 reasons why I should not be applying for STD and tells me that it's my fault my case has not been approved or denied yet and it's MY responsibility to comply with all their wishes and demands.

Over the years and at various employers I elected to take the Cigna coverage and always opted to pay for LTD also. So far, this looks like a big mistake. Reading so many other blogs and seeing the same recurring theme it looks like Cigna is just another money hungry corporation that likes to take all they can get and return nothing.

So far they have caused me to lose three weeks of pay which is enough to make me enlist the aid of legal services and start contacting any regulatory agencies I can find. I did find a local attorney that hates Cigna and their practices and has no qualms about posting that on his website. I will tune in later as my case progresses and feel very sorry for all of you who have come before me and hope you all the best of luck with your endeavors.

I am writing about my experience with Cigna Short Term Disability. I was diagnosed with lymphedema 4 years ago but continued to work under an accommodations agreement with my company. But soon after, my company started giving me a hard time about my limitations to attend certain meetings & such due to my therapy schedule & the stress caused my condition to worsen which caused undue pressure on my heart so my vascular surgeon put me on short term disability which I was upset with. But considering if my condition got worse it could potentially cause a stroke or heart attack I agreed.

My VS prescribed 12 weeks of therapy which Cigna approved two weeks of but now has continued to deny my claim saying doctor's notes aren't enough & therapist notes don't say enough when both therapist & Doctor are saying they've provided detailed information regarding my condition. I keep calling Cigna but they keep saying it's still under review but their personalized website for my claim says closed & denied. I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point.

10 years ago my husband had cancer and we weren't prepared financially or insured properly and we lost everything and had trouble putting food on the table. For the last 10 years I have been the only one working and I made sure I was covered with both short and long-term disability just in case. We weren't taking any chances. I have had worsening health over the years but in early 2015 it started racing downhill. Right now I am 12 weeks into my long-term disability which is provided by my employer and they unfortunately for me went with Cigna who has just closed my case on me without paying me a cent. I have filed a complaint with the State Insurance Board and have spent most of my time for the last 12 weeks doing Cigna's job and now I am spending my time gathering evidence against them.

First off I had a lady caseworker and in 6 weeks she managed to get information from 1 doctor. I have cognitive problems which turned out to be brain damage and I wrote her number down wrong. When I got ahold of her and tried to give her all the information I had... let's just make a long story short, I was told I was bothering her and interrupting her, keeping her from doing her job. That we had a problem and we needed to pick a time for me to get my information together and sit down and present it all at once and yada yada yada and at first I felt bad because I couldn't think right and I was slow and then I thought how dare you! And I hung up on her and called management and told them what she had said and asked what she had been doing for 6 weeks while I wasn't getting any pay and I wanted a new caseworker!

A few days later a man called me back apologizing up one side of the street and down the other and told me he was giving me a new caseworker and how they were going to bend over backwards yada yada yada. The new guy was very nice up until 3 days ago when he lied boldfaced because my brain is getting better and I know what he told me before and it wasn't what he told me the other day. He had told me when I was asking him what the holdup was, that my short term didn't have this problem... that's it! I called my short term and had them send everything over! Problem solved! And to add the cherry to the top I made a video of myself and took pictures of my blood pressures and pulses and blood sugars all of which I was having problems with and e-mailed them also. Well he told me he couldn't accept those emails and video from me because they weren't from a doctor.

I said "That is me, the person you want to know what kind of condition is in, whether I am able to work or not and there I am on video for your doctors and adjusters to see. Can't speak correctly, stammer and stutter and spasm and jerk and you are trying to decide if I can be a paramedic on an ambulance like I have been for almost 20 years and I am showing you first hand and asking you if you would want me taking care of you or your loved one in an emergency medical situation or if I need medical care myself? Your reply to me is you can't take this because it isn't from a doctor. Fine. What about the neuropsychologist that says I am severely cognitively impaired? Or the nuclear medicine doctor who did a SPECT scan and found brain damage in my temporal and frontal lobes? Oh you say that is overwhelming and should be enough by itself to get me approved! Wonderful! But now you're telling me that the neuropsychologist said my test results were normal.

I am brain damaged, not stupid and my doctor has been giving me medicine since May and I can remember more now and I remember your lie. And I know that the brain damage was found because my nuclear medicine doctor is also a diabetes doctor and I saw him for that first and liver and gall bladder and kidney damage and adrenal insufficiency. You can't take my medical knowledge away from me. It is in my long-term memory where it is safe. I know more than you will ever know about medicine. I know that I have dystonia and lyme disease and autonomic dysfunction and my blood flow in my brain is low because in part, I have a clotting disorder and have to take ** a blood thinner and I have an autoimmune disease in my brain also.

As a matter of fact I have about 70 primary and secondary diagnosis now and if I was my own paramedic, I would know as well as those doctors at your company that I more than qualify, ten times over, for long-term disability and you are lying through your teeth telling me that my "circumstances don't qualify" for long-term disability. As I sit here typing this, I struggle to see it because to add insult to injury, I ended up with a fungal infection in my eye last week and there is one little spot that scarred right over my pupil. So we will just put the fact that I can't see real well on my list. Would you like them alphabetically? Sorry, you will get what you get and you might get one or two twice. I might take a picture of my doctor's paper just so people can see it in black and white.

The doctor has my brain damage listed as traumatic brain injury. The truth is we don't know the cause ok, here goes... autonomic neuropathy, hypotension/hypertension tachycardia/bradycardia, brain damage, low blood flow in the brain, clotting disorder, maybe blackouts, maybe falling asleep, don't know. I have sleep problems too. Between my neuromuscular disease (dystonia) and my restless leg/limb I moved 47 times an hour in REM sleep and 31.2 times an hour in non-REM. So we don't know if I am just so exhausted, I am falling asleep, or I am blacking out. Dizziness. Precordial/chest pain, back pain, Facet's, osteoporosis, spondylosis, 4 bulging discs in my cervical spine, migraines, 2 lesions on my brain, visual disturbances/loss/difficulty, hearing loss left ear, abnormal EKG shows old heart attack, anemia of chronic renal failure stage 2, mild, dystonia, dysautonomia, mixed hyperlipidemia, type 2 diabetes without complications.

Chronic Tertiary Neurological Lyme Disease, dyspnea on exertion, sleep apnea, restless leg/limb, bilateral orbital frontal hypoperfusion, autoimmune cerebritis, nystagmus, strabismus, tinnitus, anosmia, reactive airway disease, basal cell carcinoma, tendinosis, gastroparesis, diverticulosis,IBS-C/D, urinary retention, scoliosis, multi-joint arthritis, hypothyroidism, thyromegaly, plantar fasciitis, mj, tn, neuropathy, vertigo, sinusitis,enlarged fatty liver and elevated enzymes, elevated B12, adrenal fatigue, cognitive impairment, insomnia, myoclonus, fever and night sweats, aneurysm in wall of L vent, endo and adenomyosis, chondromalacia patella, bursitis, add/adhd, babesia, bartonella, rmsf and possible EDS. Sorry about my spelling. It is one of the things I lost with all this."

This has basically come about over the last year to year and a half. I worked as long as I could. I was really very mad at my caseworker and his boss and all involved at Cigna for putting me in this position at first and then I thought about Karma and things such as that and I figured those people who hurt innocent people to make a living have to have a special place reserved... you know. And I thought they probably need prayers and our help and guidance more than most because it must take a cold and empty person to know that you are taking someone who worked and planned and paid for prepared, went without things and you think about their families and kids and just the snowball effect.

Just all the damage that company and its employees do with its lies and underhanded practices and they do it for a living. They make money doing it. They get paid for lying and cheating people. Sick people at their very worst. People who depend on that company blindly only to find out when they need what they have worked for is a facade. I'm not even sure what all I have written here or what I have sent to the insurance board but now all I can do is wait for their decision.

I am writing in regards to my daughter's experience with them, since I have been advocating for her through her illness. She had a bunion surgery in February of 2016. She did not have initial problems with them after the surgery, if you consider a 2 week recovery long enough. Much paperwork though and many problems with faxes not being received as I hear from everyone. She developed a neurological disorder called CRPS which has been quite debilitating. The requests for her to be off work from the doctor was never enough, the doctor's notes don't support that she can't work even though she can only wear flip flops and works in an ICU. This company causes nothing but headaches and adds to one's illness. Appreciate the advice that I have found on here, will be calling the insurance commission and reporting them.

I went out on surgery leave which led to having to kick in short term disability. I went ahead and applied and went through a heck of a time trying to prove my case. I finally got approved for it then the next Dr appointment I was put as a candidate for permanent disability and they dropped me like hot cakes suddenly. Dr's notes weren't good enough or they never received faxes which was a constant problem. Then there was a demand for Dr's narrative which my surgeon wrote, but that still wasn't good enough and denied again and get this never received fax. Hmmmm... Don't they read??? I have stacks of Therapy notes explained lack of motion nerve damage etc.

Now I have to go to neurosurgeon and still not good enough so I go without job without pay etc... And having to hire lawyer for something I paid into and the nasty excuse for careless individuals who treat you like dirt. If I could shut this company down with one phone call to the head person I would because they are a company that does not care and you have to be dead before they cover you and it's sad there are companies like this ripping hardworking individuals off.

I am a registered nurse in a critical care department of a level II Trauma Center with very heavy, unresponsive patients. I had bought the Long-Term Disability buy-up for the past 20 years. In 2011, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis with frequent flares requiring oral steroids and frequent switches to other medications. I had back surgery in 2006 for bilateral hemi-laminotomies at levels L4-L5 and S1. I have 2 bulging disks in my cervical and 3 in my lumbar spine. And top this off a partial rotator cuff tear in the right shoulder. In October, 2014 I had an episode where I was performing CPR on a patient when shooting pain went up my arm and shoulder. I had to cease what I was doing and was relieved when one of the other nurses took over the chest compression. The rheumatologist put me on short-term disability for 1 month so as not to jeopardize patient safety.

In November of 2014 I noticed numbness in the left foot and severe pain in left hamstring. I was unable to walk, stand or sit without severe shooting pain down the left leg into the left foot. After 3 visits at my primary care provider they finally ordered an MRI which showed a desiccated disk with a piece broken off and lodged into the nerve root canal. I then received a referral for surgery in January. The surgeon wanted to first try a steroid with ** injection performed by a pain specialist which was unsuccessful. On March 30th a micro-discectomy was performed. At this time I received a denial from CIGNA for LTD which I appealed and won. After surgery I continued to have sensori-motor deficits, pain in left hamstring and numbness in left foot. A new MRI showed the herniation has again worsened and the surgeon recommended a redo surgery.

To date I had to work with 5 different case workers who each made attempts to overturn the awarded amount and each required extensive documentation of the physicians to keep me on LTD. With re-do surgery scheduled for August 25, 2016 they now scheduled a Independent Medical Evaluation in a city 2 hours away at a date 10 days from now. Social Security Disability has scheduled an independent medical exam 1 month from today in another city 2 hours away. Mind you I still cannot sit longer than 20-30 minutes, so transport is difficult to request. Currently, I have been laid off from the place of employment due to exhaustion of leave and rely heavily on the income that I receive from CIGNA. I am almost 61 years old and would have difficulty finding work that could accommodate my disabilities. My question is why did I pay the premiums for LTD buy-up for 20 years. Thank you for your consideration.

Do not use Cigna for any of your insurance. It is a scam period for almost a year I was working on a job and paying close to $600 a month for this coverage. I had an injury and the doctor told me I could not work for 3 weeks. My employer could not hold my job for me. So I called Cigna to get my insurance from my bosses' office before they let me go. They told me I was covered and I would receive my short-term disability. My boss turned in the paperwork to go ahead and let me go. And then weeks later Cigna refuse to pay me because I was terminated the same day of my injury report. They use loopholes to screw their customers over every chance they get. Had they told us to begin with my boss could have held off on the paperwork.

I also went to use some of their doctors before my termination and found that everyone who uses them are substandard. The glasses I got I ended up paying my co-pay about $100 more than what I have bought my glasses for without using their insurance because they sent me to some kind of goofy doctor. And the glasses I got were a lot cheaper built than what I am used to. The dentist they sent me to did not know very much about what he was doing. I had to pay 2 Grand for a crown, and he did not fit it right. There is a gap as wide as my fingernail along one entire side that food collected in and he told me it was no problem. The doctor spackled some stuff across it to fill it in three times now and it will not stay in. This is why laws requiring you to have insurance are so wrong. You're better off saving your money and paying a good doctor to do the job right the first time. The only reason I gave Cigna one star is because negative stars are not offered.

I had surgery Dec 8, 2015 to have my spleen removed & went out on FMLA & received STD through Cigna. I had LTD start being held out of my check on January 1 which I was still getting paychecks. On January 5, 2016 I was diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome & need a bone marrow transplant & can't go back to work. My STD ended on June 3. My lovely rude caseworker Tina told me I can't use my Ltd because I was already inactive & not working. I don't understand because I was still getting a paycheck & they took the money for it.

I had used their services before, but this time around, was horrible. I had to keep calling the person assigned to me, and leaving messages that were never answered. After two weeks and some days I received a form in the mail to take to my doctor. I was so upset. I told the person that takes care of it at MD office. She did called them and told them about how upset I was... All of a sudden different people called me to see if everything been taken care of. Then I am told I will get a check in 3-5 days. It's been a whole week, no check. I have not had a check in 4 weeks since my surgery. And when I called the computerized service said a check had been issued since May 17 but it does not say mailed. It's stressing not to know anything. Terrible service???

I'll begin with my credentials. I'm an RN with many years experience. I know disease processes and how to read medical jargon. I began having problems in August/September of 2015 with muscles and nervous system. I applied for STD through CIGNA. However, they claimed they didn't receive the paperwork. The case closed. I was okay with it at that time because I pushed through whatever was going on with my body and got back to work. All the while I had to call in more and more and my office visits became more frequent. I developed an unsteady gait (I now use a cane/walker). My right leg moves slower than the left. My muscles become very fatigued with activity. I have numbness, severe muscle pain, blurred vision and have weakness of all extremities with sustained movement.

The above symptoms are not all inclusive. I mentioned those things to say this. I was paid once by CIGNA. Mind you, my condition has not improved but has gotten worse! I have since been denied. I was first told, "We need the disability form from your doctor" when that was received!!! It was we need the medical records from March 29-April 26 which had been sent 4-5 times but they continued to claim they'd not received them!! My husband had to personally drive 45 min and pick my medical records up (good thing though).

I read through them and circled all the pertinent information (so it wouldn't be missed) and faxed it to them. What do you know, they finally received my medical records. My claim has still been denied. My doctor has restricted me from driving which is a huge part of my job. I have weakness of my extremities which makes it difficult to lift, stand, walk, assist patients, draw labs, climb, grab. I have a gait abnormality which makes it difficult to walk and causes me to use a cane/walker which I cannot do in my line of work but they've still denied my claim.

I have filed an appeal letter and contacted an attorney. I have also requested my administrative records. I keep a copy of everything and everyone I speak to. I suggest you do the same. It's time these people stop taking advantage of us. I understand it's a business and is there to make money but it should be there for the people who are putting the money in its pockets when they need it. I hope this helps someone going through what I'm going through. Get an attorney from the beginning if you're dealing with CIGNA.

Cigna Disability Insurance Company Profile