Cigna Disability Insurance

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Just as everyone says, Cigna is absolutely crooked and they should be put under a federal investigation. They lie, never return calls, require you see one of their doctors (the one they sent me to does not even have a license to practice in my state and not only did he not evaluate me he lie and documented he did and said I did not qualify... Hello, hospitalized 6 times since Christmas! He threw his form and pencil against the wall above my head!). Reported to Cigna. Dirty Dirty. Anyone know a Leon ** there??? BAD PEOPLE. WHY ISN'T ANYONE DOING ANYTHING? WHO REGULATES THESE PEOPLE??!

I have been failed miserably by Cigna, while I am going through the most difficult time as it relates to my health. Not because I didn't have the wherewithal to put in place and pay for what they call "Peace of Mind" additional coverages, all because Cigna totally dropped the ball as they promised using fine print, and loopholes to pay for services due. I pay as a single woman $685/monthly premium and elected into all of these so called wonderful safety nets so that in case of a severe medical illness the last thing I would have to be concerned with is getting better. All lies, they have so many hoops they require you to jump through to prove eligibility and once you have done all of their leg work and prove your case, they begin to reach for straws that are so farfetched and unsubstantiated to still find a reason on not paying out on a claim.

My employer has been a dream to work with and they have lived up to their promises and I was covered under short term and although I went through hoops, lost my place of residence in the process of waiting a month for a check, all Cigna would do was offer the same redundant response, "We are so sorry for your loss and what you have to go through, rest assured you are not the only one who goes through this". Really? That is the explanation I received for losing my home, and if that wasn't bad enough my condition worsened, I was diagnosed with some pretty catastrophic disease processes and so instead of going back to work in the time frame I had intended my physicians collectively agreed I needed more time, the streets Cigna alone was causing me was actually exacerbating my symptoms, more seizures, more hospitalizations.

As it was time for me to transition from Short Term Disability to Long Term Disability, I knew for sure after all the hell and hoops I had to go through for a plan my job covered I surely wouldn't have to go through the same, right? Wrong, I had to jump through more hoops, go through more paperwork, submit more things and the kicker is, I paid additional for this protection. All to be denied for that one straw they searched diligently for. A pre-existing condition for seizures all because I was on a medication to treat nerve pain 3 years prior to me having a seizure but this medicine can also be treated for seizures.

The kicker is Cigna provided me a time period they were looking at to determine a pre-existing condition and my 1st seizure did not occur until 3 years and 3 months after this time period. It is still used to deny payment because I guess I should have known I was going to be diagnosed with and have a seizure in the future. What is even more egregious is that all the paperwork substantiated nerve pain, all doctor notes, hospital records indicate this but Cigna will not have a problem taking your money each month in a premium yet will deny what is due to you because of a fictional pre-existing condition.

Thanks to Cigna, and their dishonest practices and deceptive coverages by weeks end I am at risk of losing my car, and my storage, remember already lost my residence. I have no funds for food, medication co-pays and yet they wish me the best in my recovery. I promise you I will spend every waking moment of everyday to inform the public that these coverages we pay into really aren't designed to pay out when you need it the most. Cigna, has yet to the right thing and as Open enrollment is right around the corner it is my mission to inform to protect, promote, improve the health of the people insured by insurance companies such as Cigna who offer all of these wonderful additional coverages that are designed to deny what appears at least 90% of their customers.

Cigna should be ashamed and I will not be ashamed right along with them by keeping my mouth posed, or these fingers from typing I will ask that every group I post in will share million times over so those out there like me, hard working, committed to doing the right thing doesn't get swindled by the multi-million dollar companies taking advantage of someone especially in their most vulnerable and dire time of illness. Waiting on reimbursement from a plan you paid into for protection for absurd, far fetched reasons is just unacceptable, and will no longer be swept under the rug. I will expose as much as I can before others make the same mistake as I did in paying for a coverage not designed to cover me.

I paid up to receive 70% of my check in case I needed STD. I have a serious injury affecting cognitive function requiring relaxing and peace to heal. Off 11 weeks. Got paid for 4. Doctor and I always sent what was asked for. Called so often with no help. Doctor submitted all notes. Always get the "under review" saying "not enough notes". He even wrote more for Cigna because they said they didn't get what they needed. I had to pay with money I didn't have for that note a few times. He's a neuro doc. Smart man. I spent ENTIRE TIME STRESSING because of NO money to pay bills for 2 months. They know they can't get sued because have to deny you first. They hold you in limbo, either force you to LTD or back to work.

These people working here must have an IQ of 0, your people are so stupid, this is not the first time I've dealt with them! My company has had to use their corporate lawyers to argue with Cigna! They cancel the FMLA/STD when they feel like it, they've lied many many times about things the doctor said. I've had to call the doctor and the doctor has called them out on it. Do you hire passersby on the street to do the job there?? I called and actually had your rep tell me it was not a debate why I'm asking why they canceled my FMLA!! This is not a debate??? Are you ** me ?? I pay to have std and my company pays Cigna as well. Who the hell are you to decide and think you can top what the doctor says? Stupid dumb asses.

They canceled last time because doctor didn't cross her T's. ** seriously... I can't stand Cigna and furthermore I hope they fall off the face of the earth. No wonder Anthem don't want your dumb asses!! Cigna is a ** class trash company!! I have the names of your people I've talked to and if your company don't start to get their ** I will absolutely contact the media, every newspaper and every review website I can!!! Us working class are going to fight back! Even if I have to start a petition!!

I'm so upset and I need to share this story. I would like to share my story with you because it may help someone in the near future by exposing some of these insurance companies treatment of people who are really sick. I have been unable to work due to a chronic physical illness since 2/24/15. My salary was a 6 figure income but after going on medical leave, I only received half of that amount. I received Short Term Disability benefits from Cigna for 90 days. Then, I began receiving Long Term Disability benefits thereafter.

On Friday 4/7/17, Cigna called me to tell me that my case had been reviewed by a Special Team of people based on the requested Physician Notes of my Rheumatologist. The Cigna Representative then said that this Special Team concluded that based on the Physician Notes, my education (Ph.D. Psychology), and the fact that I can lift up to 10 lbs, I could be working a job that is sedentary. I then asked, "how can you come to this conclusion when one of my problems with work was that it was painful for me to sit or stand for long periods of time?" I told him that lying down on a heating pad is most helpful. I explained that my medicines cause me to be sleepy and drowsy, my medicines have not changed, and my symptoms like fatigue had not changed.

I asked them why they were doing this to me. My lab work shows that I definitely have autoimmune problems & problems with fibromyalgia. I explained to him, that If I could be working, I would be, because I've lost half of my 6 figure income, my home, and so much more. I'm really upset for 2 reasons. 1. The Physician Notes state that I complain that I can't stand or sit for long period of time without pain, medicines cause sedation, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, and all my other complaints. 2. I will no longer be able to struggle to pay my COBRA Medical Insurance with BCBS of Arizona. I've struggled to pay the $880 premium for about 16 months. As of May, 2017, I lost it forever.

Now, I will be one of those millions of Americans that is uninsured with pre-existing conditions because I am also a breast cancer survivor, hashimoto's disease

(hypothyroidism), and should never be without insurance. If something catastrophic happens, I don't know what I will do. I can't afford my ** 2x per day which used to be $4 per refill. Barely enough money for pain meds, stomach meds, & thyroid med. I'm so mad and upset with Cigna for unnecessarily putting me in the position to lose my health insurance and have no money coming in. I have embarrassingly had to file for food stamps. My Social Security Disability case could take up to 2 years to receive a hearing. It's so depressing. With the status of Health Care Insurance in America, I've been put into a life-threatening and life-changing position.

I have retained an ERISA Attorney with the intent to get my Cigna Long Term Disability benefits back. But, angrily I say that I will never be able to get my COBRA benefits back. Also, I might not qualify for TrumpCare because I have pre-existing conditions. Medicaid?... Who knows what's going on with that. I would like to share my story because I hope that it helps someone in this world so that insurance companies like Cigna can be exposed for causing harm to sick people... sick paying customers. Based on my online research, I found other people with a similar experience. This is repetitive behavior toward the sick that has caused a domino effect of damages. I hope for a Class Action Lawsuit one day soon. Please help us...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

I have never had to be on disability before but I got hurt very badly on 12-22-2013. Cigna paid my long term disability and I really didn't have any problems with them other than a couple checks getting lost and somehow my auto deposit got messed up. However when Time Warner Cable turned into Spectrum my Rep got ahold of me again and wanted me to go to one of their Dr's. I had no problem doing that. I recently had my leg amputated and had to move three hours from my home to a ranch style home so that I could get some help. I am not always able to drive to get to appointments and I was told to just let ECN and they would provide the transportation. I only received 1 letter to tell me about the appointment and it said nothing about losing my benefits if I was unable to make it.

They also never offered transportation. The day of the appointment came around and I had blisters on my residual limb. I was unable to drive and had no other way to get to the appointment that was an hr and a half away from my appointment. I canceled and they immediately cut my disability on March 21 2017 and they've been running me around ever since. They won't return my e-mails or calls. They didn't even request my medical records from my Dr.'s this year. They canceled me without warning. I have absolutely no income at all. I have called and wrote. By law they have to release my records that they made their judgments on. They still have not sent them.

I am unable to do my job or any other both mentally and physically at this time. I am still learning to get around. I cannot get any help from anyone there, even though I've been told to send my records and notes in for a new review. I am so frustrated. I'm an amputee with a lot of problems. There is absolutely no reason for me not to have my disability check and I've proven it time and time again. I guess it's time to get an attorney. I see they've been sued over and over and the insured people have won. I sent this to my rep March 29 I am super super suicidal thru all of this and I haven't found a doctor out here yet. I couldn't get to it even if I did.

I received the letter you sent. Right off the bat it says if I am unable to earn 80% of my indexed earnings. I'm not exactly sure what that is but I can't even work at a gas station right now. I found the medical report from when I went to see Dr. ** on 2-27-17. I also seen Dr. ** on 2-27-17. I sent you an email giving you my shrinks information the very first time I seen her. 2-21-17 I'm attaching everything I've personally found so that it will make more sense (hopefully). I also sent an e-mail to let you know that I was going to see Dr. ** because United Healthcare wanted me to see her again to TRY and get my prosthetic approved so that I can hopefully start to lead a normal life.

Dr. ** noted the same in her records from 2-21-17. The office manager told me these records were never even requested by Cigna. Neither were Dr. ** or Dr. Sharon **. I also spoke with Yankee bionics and they said they've never been contacted by Cigna either this year or since I emailed you about the appointments. I spoke with 3 different people at ECN and followed up with e-mails for the appointments because my mental issues make it very difficult for me to remember information. I like to put everything in writing to make sure we're all on the same page. It's really hard to keep all of this paperwork together but I think my friend has found it all. ECN never offered a ride out here.

The appointment was scheduled an hour or more away depending on traffic. With my body being the way it is. I never know from 1 day to the next or 1 hour to the next if I'm going to be able to walk, drive, crawl, focus. I'm working hard to get better but without money for medication and gas to get to doctors and support groups I'll be like this even longer. The thought terrifies me to the point that I would rather die. I feel so helpless. I've tried to do everything I can possibly do including follow up with e-mails just to make sure we're communicating. Neither ECN or Cigna sent me any documentation about losing my benefits if I was unable to make it to that doctor appointment that they set up. It says that I did not provide a reasonable excuse.

I e-mailed & I called to let them know that I couldn't make it because I had no transportation. I couldn't drive because I had blisters on my stump and I couldn't put my prosthetic on because it doesn't fit right anyway and it sure wouldn't go on my stump (leg) like that. I let them know that I was stuck. Blisters lead to infections and infections lead to more amputation. I'm going to attach everything that I've found. The attorney said I may be able to get Cigna to reexamine their decision with all the information I'm providing and possible continue my benefits like they should be.

Everything I have proves I'm disabled and the calls should be able to be pulled at ECN clarifying what I was told and that I was never told about losing my benefits if I missed the appointment. I was never offered a ride and I never received any of that in writing. I'm frazzled, scared and they've just caused more mental issues than what I had before. All this was so sudden with no warning and I'm about to be kicked out of my home.

I truly don't know how this company legally gets away with how they run their business. Calls are never returned, constant lies, close accounts without speaking to the customer. I don't want to get into my medical condition. I just want you all to know I have 4 doctors that support my disability claim. Cigna closed it. The funny thing is with much support from my doctors Cigna took 3 months to even respond to my claim and then they want my doctors to respond to them instantly with questions regarding my claim. One of my doctors did not get the information to my claims adjuster on his time so he just closed my case.

Cigna 3 months to look at my claim but gives me two days to get the required information. Plus numerous calls to the claim adjuster and no response back. I can't even tell you how I just want to drop a bunch of swear words right now. I am so upset. This company seriously should be investigated for fraud. Just read others people's comments. I truly feel for them. They are in the same position as me. And as far as Cigna is concerned I will see you in court. My case is solid.

I am sick and tired of getting jerked around and lied to. I'm on my second claims manager since I applied for short term disability and neither one of them will answer their phone or call back. I am supposed to be getting $560 a week. They are not consistent with the issuing of the checks. We almost had our electricity cut off, I am late with rent and other bills which is causing late fees and is cutting into our food budget really bad. I have to borrow money to get food, toilet paper etc. Then I have to pay that back when I get paid.

The customer service tells me that my doctor's office sent them the correct paperwork but no notes. I call my doctor's office and talked to the lady in charge of it and she said that they did send notes and so she had to fax it to them again. They have done this twice now. I can't get through to them. I have had third parties try and they could not get through to the claims manager, their supervisor and the supervisor's supervisor. It is a joke. I pay for this benefit and then they expect me to do their work calling my Doctor. That is their job. I am not an employee of Cigna.

I've never dealt with such incompetent people, out-right lies and manipulation! They stall, waste your time and energy and anything else they can to frustrate you and cause you to give up. After 4 months of short term due to major back surgery, they decided I should be able to return to work even though my surgeon said NO! They closed my claim citing 'lack of clinical evidence' although the past two notes from my doctor contained the EXACT SAME INFORMATION, all of sudden, it's not good enough! When speaking with my case manager - after numerous messages and no call backs!, she advised that before filing an appeal I should get another letter from my doctor. That's what I did.

When I called to see if she had received it, she told me 'Just want to let you know that because of the time that has passed since your claim was closed, we may not be able to consider new information'. So, she outright lied and advised me to do something that was of no value except to waste precious time and frustrate me further!

I rely on this insurance provided by my employer to pay my bills when I'm unable to work. Now I'm getting behind on bills and don't know what I'm going to do. How is a person supposed to heal from major surgery when they are running around trying to get the insurance company to do THEIR jobs and not having the financial support they counted on? Cigna should be investigated. They are ripping people off when they are at their most vulnerable and it's not right. Why doesn't someone do something? How can they continue to get away with this? I would NEVER recommend anyone using this company for anything EVER!!!

Updated on 06/06/2017: My company has contracted with Cigna for short term disability benefits. They closed my case prematurely and keep giving lame excuses regarding the information my doctor has provided. Once they saw my review, they reached out and acted like they wanted to help. HA!!! All they did was give me the same BS line I've been getting all along. Please, do not give this company your money. They will keep it and when it's time to pay out benefits, they will play every dirty trick in the book - and then some - to make sure you don't get what you have coming. They are incompetent and greedy. And don't fall for their "I want to help" BS!! They flat out don't give a damn.

Never give your money to these people. Every negative thing you read is true. I was taken out of work for panic attacks on March 13 2017. May 5 2017 I'm denied. After doing everything I could and jumping through every hoop. They played my doctors against each other because they didn't say the exact same thing. Two doctors, a family practitioner and a psychologist with a combined 80 years of experience say I need to be taken out of work for a few months because I'm disabled. But a claim rep and a Nurse say I'm ok. How does that ** work? I hope these people rot. I'm getting a lawyer and I can't wait to see them in court.

I found out late in the day yesterday that Cigna is denying my claim for STD. Is there any help that I could get to reason with these people? I have read numerous complaints on various internet sites about Cigna wrongly denying claims. They want their money but not a priority to pay you. Firstly, they made me wait for any decision, till I saw the rheumatologist, which took a month to get an appointment. The rheumatologist my doctor wanted me to see had appointments in July! Thank God I found another doctor earlier. At least I started the iron therapy sooner.

I have sent numerous faxes to them from my doctor who said I could not do my duties at this time. My diagnosis is fibromyalgia, iron deficiency anemia, uncontrolled diabetes, and trigger thumb. My doctor felt that the dizziness, extreme fatigue, unsteadiness, brain fog, low grade fever every day and pain would warrant a specialist and had me out of work. They are saying there is not enough clinical evidence to pay STD. Are you kidding me? I cannot drive myself anywhere and having trouble doing normal daily routines like bathing, cooking etc. They are causing me more stress and now my doctor wants me to see my psychiatrist due to increased anxiety.

We will not know what caused the anemia till I have the endoscope this Monday. They are looking for bleeding. But they are closing the case... Does this make sense? I paid for this insurance and they are giving me the runaround. I am trying my best to get back to work, but the doctors want more tests. What am I supposed to do? Since the rheumatologist ruled out Rheumatoid Arthritis - I was sent to a Hand specialist to determine the pain in my hands. He wants me to see a neurologist for a nerve conduction test and he gave me cortisone shots in my thumbs and I am wearing thumb splints for 2 weeks (day and night). How in the world can I type and use a mouse when I can't even hold a fork correctly? I am using my tablet and 2 fingers to type this.

I am at my wit's end and will now have to appeal. I just want to get whatever is wrong - fixed so I can be productive and work. How do they expect anyone to get better if they will not stand by their motto for the reason we buy their insurance? Medications, doctor appointments and procedures all cost money, not to mention you do need food and utilities to survive. Feeling helpless.

I was in a MVA on 3/31/2017. I called Cigna on that following Monday to start my claim. It has been hell!!! I made my claim. I start calling after a week when I hadn't received any communication from them. I was assigned a case worker named Selina. I left messages for her almost daily. She never returned my call. Her outgoing messages said she would not be back until April 29th at one point!!! What?! So feed up after not having none of messages answered and being hung up on by customer service reps I demanded to speak to a manager. Selina called me. She said my case was under review and they needed me to sign a release so they can get my hospital records. This is on April 24! My rent is due for May!!! I am livid!!!

I signed my release and my doctor turn my records over to the company that faxes them to wherever they need to go. I called again leaving messages for Selina. She finally called me back on the 28. I asked have she received my records. She said, "No." I had already called my and spoke my doctor's office and the company that handles my record, they were waiting for Cigna to pay for the records. I told her this. Her reaction was, "Oh yeah. We will send out the payment. It usually takes 10 days!!!" I can not believe this company!!! So incompetent!!! I have been waiting 1 month to get paid. This company sucks **! I still have no idea if or when I am going to be paid.

Hi. I have been a patient and been approved for short term disability since February 24th. The issue is that while I was initially approved it was only for the dates included on the first evaluation. So that was through March 9th. Now I was released on sedentary work March 10th and have been since due to my ongoing whiplash injury. So my work won't let me come back until I'm full duty so I should be continuing to receiving short term disability. I was approved for up to 11 weeks. Well the insurance company never sent me anything. I updated faxes with what I thought they needed. And when a few more weeks went by I started calling. I called and left messages, I called and hung up from frustration. I get told "Oh yeah just fax it into this number, that's the wrong number." Okay I refax my release forms, medical test results... I'm good right?? Nope... Another two weeks and I'm still not sure what's going on.

I start calling my insurance company again, this time during my appointments. To make sure we are all on the same page. Ohhhh they have been sending faxes to the doctor's office requesting appointment notes on my case. Well, I'm informed that, that information is available from the main office. Okay, I make sure my insurance company gets the main office's fax number. So they sent their request, well they tell me they did cause at this point I don't know who to believe. My doctor's office said they've mailed them in twice. All I know is that I'm a single Mom. I was rear ended by a big truck after picking my son up from school. I've had terrible headaches, lower back pain and neck pain since. I do what I'm told the best I can.

I am trying to get better and get back to work and on with my life after being victimized by a company that's driver didn't have the right training or license to be driving for and should have never been behind the wheel of that truck. I'm a retail manager and my job requires me to lift up to 30 lbs, bend, squat, and stand on my feet for 8 to 12 hours a day with a half hour lunch break. 44 hours a week. Not something easy to do when you are in a lot of pain. So I'm doing what I have been told. I'm taking it day by day, doing therapy, getting back to my normal life... Only financially it's beyond what my normal life was like. Yeah I live paycheck to paycheck. I'm a single Mom and don't have a degree or make a lot of money. But I do have rent, a car note, insurance, school lunch money among the list of many things in life that require an income. And I'm proud that I make above the poverty amount and don't receive government assistance.

I did, a long long time ago. It's hell. And yet I find myself in a more desperate situation everyday. All because somehow, someone isn't getting the information they need to approve my disability so I can pay my bills and support my child and myself while I'm off work due to this horrible unforeseen accident that has seriously screwed me both physically, emotionally and financially. So could you please find out what else needs to be done? Can someone, anyone help??? Obviously not my insurance company. I literally got released to work April 27th and called the insurance company only to be told that they still haven't received my paperwork and will need to review it. Ooohhh and they may not approve my disability to be continued.

So I've been off work due to a car accident since February and they are not sure if they are going to pay me??? Smh. What kinda crap is that? Oh and never ever leave a voicemail! They do NOT call you back! They don't care about people at all! Worst company ever! Glad I don't have them as my medical insurance company! PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

Short term delayed due to lack of common sense. My husband is a diabetic who at 43 just had glaucoma surgery, unable to work. Has paperwork filled out, doctor sent and Cigna always has an excuse as to why they are still reviewing. They don't have all the info or now they need something else sent or filled out. They are so incompetent of doing their job, lack of common sense! It's been a month and no one seems to know what they are doing there! I'm sick of dealing with 3rd parties instead of the employer. I give Cigna no thumbs up, they suck at what they do!! Very, very very disappointed!!!

Do not give your money to this company. I worked for a company in the HR department and paid for short and long term disability. I had a tumor between my spine and spinal cord. I was left with nerve damage and I'm totally disabled. They paid me for 2 years then stopped. They sent me to one of their employees to give me a test to see what I was able to do. He told me at any time I couldn't take anymore I could stop. I did as much as I could stand to do. Cigna said the guy said I didn't try and just gave up and left. They said they were not going to pay my LTD.

I have a lawyer who sent me to another company to give me the test. They said I was not able to work. When Cigna reviewed it again they used the 1st test they did on me, to take more time. If they turn me down this time we are going to sue them. I can't wait, I have been waiting so many years to get paid. My husband passed away last year, I have a mentally handicap son, I need that money. I can't believe they can get away doing this to so many people.

I filed my STD claim 2/28. I have my doctor fax the required form and office visit notes. My first week of disability would be 3/27. When I saw my doctor 3/21 his office faxed the required paperwork and office visit notes. I called the contact person and said the notes were not received and that there is a lag time with their faxes, several day lag time. My doctor's office faxed these office visit notes five times. My contact person was out last week. I spoke to someone Friday who said yes they just received the notes and she would forward them to the office for review.

I called today Monday and spoke with my contact person and said these notes were not even sent to the office for review. He will send them today for review tomorrow. I asked why tomorrow when it was only 11:15. "Oh the office needs to have them at 900 to review them." Very suspicious that when it comes time to pay me they closed my claim without notifying me. So now I will wait again. I call several times per week. This contact person I spoke to the day before they closed my claim. This is poor business practice. My employer pays CIGNA money for my STD.

I am VERY unhappy with the services that I have received from CIGNA. I lost my baby due to a pregnancy complication on March 2, 2017 and I had to go on leave from work. I filed a claim with CIGNA (short term disability) and it has been nothing but a big headache. I have to call these people at least 2-3 times a week just to get my check mailed to me. I am still awaiting my final check from CIGNA. I feel that I shouldn't have to call them this many times to make sure they're doing their job. I have been very compliant with every request they have asked of me. I feel like the Reps don't care about their clients or their needs. I will definitely be seeking another insurance company SOON!!!

I am a type 1 diabetic with very high to low sugars along with stage 3-4 renal failure. I suffer from depression along with blood clotting disorder on top of anemia, and now recently been diagnosed with gastrointestinal disorder. I have been on long term for over a year now and had to go to doctor many, many times before. It was good enough for them To accept with all these illnesses. My doctor retired and left notes on November who put me on disability and what do you know they wanted notes from a doctor I just have gotten established to and have seen one time which he even said looking at my chart I have a chart of an 89 year old woman and I am in my thirties.

I have not chose this life and instead of letting me worry about my health Cigna is making sure I quit with trying to get my ltd. I asked them before I went to new doctor what they needed from him and then never gave me any paperwork. So with that being said I emailed my Cigna contact and asked over and over if I needed anything because the new doctor wasn't quite sure with what exactly they were needing besides a copy of the 15 things I'm dealing with. What else they needed to understand I'm sick. I of course got no response. So guess what I am back to square one with them. Don't worry when it comes to health and mine and taking a stand. I'm a fighter. They can go screw themselves because I refuse to let them and their crew win.

If you are reading this, hopefully you have not paid these criminals a dime!!! Long story short, believe all these negative reviews! Also known as "LINA" Cigna Life Insurance Co. of North America. NEARLY EVERY NEGATIVE thing you see in the foregoing rating HAS HAPPENED TO ME AT LAST 3-10 TIMES. I was constantly lied to! They try to make everything your job (to do their job). I finally call them on the lies. They back off for a month. But go on the same.

I was told by my claims rep that California (where I live/work), did not have legal jurisdiction on my policy because the policy was "written in TEXAS" ***BUZZ LIE #1. **! Not only do they fall under California insurance laws but they have knowledge of this, and but are under court order in California among other things, but they knew about then order, to stop high pressure and deceptive practice. I could go on for an hour about my bad feelings and bad experiences, as they never STOPPED! RUN!!! DON'T WALK AWAY FROM THIS HORRIBLE COMPANY!

I am 62 years old and have been at the same company for over 41 years. I have been paying for this LTD for that long and have never use it. I went out for medical problems and filed with this mickey mouse con insurance. I have never heard or seen this type of treatment by any company but this company you should stay away from or not carry through them. Yes like others have said they keep putting you off and throw more and more paperwork out at you. At one point my surgeon got on the phone with Cigna at his office and told them upfront what else do they want. They couldn't answer the question. I talked with other employees at my company and they too ran into the same problem. If you like being lied too, given wrong info, put off, stay pissed off, deal with fraud, and last but not least NEVER getting them to do their job or return a phone call this insurance company is for you.

This has been the worst experience ever. I have paid a policy for years in case something ever happened to me. Now they have you go in hoops trying to get information for them. They NEVER return phone calls - they can care less that you have a policy with them and will do anything possible to deny it. I took out this policy so that I would be able to feed my family if something happened to me, guess what we are not eating - can't afford to go to physical therapy due to having a copay and no income. This company and its employees are absolutely useless. I had a surgery on January 20, 2017 and they decided my disability stopped Feb 2nd. Absolutely absurd. I sincerely hope one day these employees have to go thru what they are doing to others. It's called karma.

I had to take a leave of absence due to an accident and filed a short term disability claim with Cigna. This is the process:

1. File your claim for STD benefits. There is a form that you can print out from their web portal, to have your doctor complete. This is good enough to get things started, but "it's the wrong form" and the ** who was assigned to my case had to mail me the correct form. It will take them at least 2 weeks to "process" your initial claim. My first check was mailed week 3 and it takes 5 whole days to get to my mailbox. File your claim ASAP. If you are being treated for behavioral health issues, the max coverage is 3 months. Make sure the doctor uses an ID10 code for something that is not behavioral health related.

2. They decide if they are going to approve your claim for month 1. This is the first approval. If successful here, payments will begin arriving weekly for up to 3 weeks. Counting the 1 week waiting period, this covers your first month. No matter what return to work date your doctor writes on the authorization form, they will only approve up to 3 weeks on the first one. See your doctor often and report everything that is happening which impacts your ability to return to work. Insist that your doctor puts those complaints in your chart notes.

3. Your first extension. I got this faxed in a week before my first approval ended (Week 3). This triggers a review of your claim and your claim manager will send your file to medical. This process takes another 2 weeks and documents start getting lost. Faxes need to be resent. The documents are not filled out right, boxes are not checked, only got page 2 and 7 in THE MAIL! I finally receive a payment during week 8, covering 4 weeks.

4. Month 3. If you file an extension to continue your claim thru weeks 9-12, your claim with be randomly selected for review. Cigna will send a new list of questions to the doctor and request additional information about your condition. These questions are designed to lead the doctor into describing the environment required to return you to work. What accommodations are needed? How many breaks? Time standing, sitting, walking, typing. If the doctor says there are accommodations required to return you to work, they will close your claim and tell your employer to make those accommodations.

There is a phone interview with Medical asking you to explain why you are unable to return to work and what it will take to get you back in the office. I told them that I would be unreliable and would not be able to function as a dependable part of the team in my current condition. If your extension gets approved, they will take you into week 12/13. For behavioral health issues, 3 months is the max coverage.

5. Deny, Close and stop payment. If you file an extension to take you into the 4th month, your claim will be denied and your claim will be closed. The insurance company's procedures are designed to draw out this process as long as possible. They are betting they will cause so much frustration and confusion that you will give up. You will receive a form letter that explains what information they used to come to the conclusion that you are healed and ready to go back to work. The insurance company has no downside to closing your claim at this point. If it stays closed, they don't have to pay you and only a small percentage of claims are ever appealed.

6. The Appeal. As soon as you receive the denial letter, follow the instructions to request a copy of your claim file. This can take a few weeks to process and must be done in writing. If you have been able to figure out the email address of your claim manager, you can save some time and request the file by sending an email message. READ the file. The reason they are using to justify their decision is in the file!! AND!! The definition of disabled according to your policy will be in the file.

Write a letter requesting that your case be sent to the appeals department. It takes 2 weeks, from when they receive your request, for your case to be assigned to a case manager. The process of gathering your file and submitting everything for review takes them 45 days. I had my doctor write a letter reiterating the reason they signed the disability extension form and faxed that to the new Claim Manager. I was asked if there is anything else I want to submit to support the clinical determination of my disability several times, and with the same wording I expect they are going to attempt to reject my appeal and blame me for not providing them with the necessary documents. If you have the full copy of your file, you know everything they know. Study this information. I expect they will begin forgetting about the records they DO have and I will be put in a position where I will have to remind them of what they know and when they knew it.

Bottom line is, you are disabled when your doctor says you are disabled. So, if your doctor says you are disabled, signs a letter affirming the fact and you have STD coverage, you are entitled to receive payment for the period of time determined by your doctor. The insurance company is depending on you to give up on collecting your benefits and have designed this process to be difficult, drawn out and as short as possible.

I have been paying Cigna for Short/Long term disability for many years. They like their bill to be paid and even on time but when it comes time to pay on a claim Be aware you will probably not receive anything. I went out on short term disability due to a work injury. The Doctor put me on limited work status and my employer was unable to accommodate the restrictions, so I was put off of work. Cigna paid the claim after requiring me to do most of the legwork to collect the necessary documents. They paid me for 4 weeks on the claim. I went back to the MD and he said he was keeping me on limited duty because I was not ready to go back to work full time. This is when Cigna decided to stop paying me stating that I was able to work limited duty.

I explained to them that my work would not let me come back until I was at a non limited status. They said that this was not their problem. I had to put in appeal after appeal to no avail. I would call and the agent would say, "that should be covered. Go ahead and appeal," and weeks later I would receive a letter stating it was denied and I did not have any appeals left. Later during this process I had to have surgery and was put off of work on total disability. I called Cigna and the agent said "oh yes we should cover that. Go ahead and put in a new claim." I put in the new claim only to get a very angry Cigna representative calling to tell me I was not allowed to put in a new claim, even though the company advised me to do so.

This company tries to wear you down so you will just give up because they have frustrated you beyond your breaking point. I think to myself what if someone needed this claim to be paid to be able to eat and provide for their family. I pray that these folks that work at Cigna never have to go through this process and get denied by such uncaring workers or company. My Sister in Law had a Aflac plan and they paid for everything for her family.

Cigna's process is extremely slow, stressful and exhausting and it seems as if they intentionally drag you along just to deny the claim. I have been out of work on disability since April 2016. I recently had to apply for Cigna's long term disability. Three of my physicians have recommended and deemed me physically unable to return back to work. All of my physicians have provided completed forms in addition to office notes - (149 pgs.) However Cigna has denied the claim stated that my limitations should allow me to continue to work. I have not received any disability payment causing financial hardship.

Now that I am on long term medical leave, my employer requires that I pay my medical insurance which I am not able to because Cigna has held all disability payments. I fear that I will lose my medical coverage soon and will not be able to continue receiving medical treatment for my medical conditions. All of this waiting and their avoidance has caused financial hardship and additional stress and anxiety which are causing me additional health issues. They have left me with no other option but to hire an attorney. My treating physician are very annoyed with the fact that Cigna's medical team can disregard their professional expertise and professional and personal experience with my medical conditions/treatment as their patient without ever seeing me.

Also Cigna's web page statement regarding long term disability is very misleading to the consumer, "Cigna Long-Term Disability plans can pick up where Short-term Disability leaves off, with helping to ensure a continued flow of income if you can't work for an extended period of time due to an illness or injury. You can pay bills and focus on getting well." Cigna should be required to removed this false statement.

I was approved to receive short term disability for being off work due to an illness. After receiving the 1st month's payment my doctor sent in documentation keeping me off work for an additional 2 months. As each month went by and the doctor sent in the updated paperwork, Cigna never contacted myself or sent me any further payments. I left numerous messages, faxes & mailed in copies of medical paperwork with no response. I was finally able to speak with a Cigna representative today who told me my claim was still active but I am not eligible to receive any payments at this time. She could not tell me why either. She was rude & unsympathetic. I asked her to have my claim representative give me a call. This will be the 3rd day in a row this week I've left her a message with no response for her. I plan on cancelling this plan when I get back to work & discussing this with the HR department about a change.

I became disabled in 2004 and carried my insurance with me however I did get hospital Part A free because I went on SS Disability. Cigna paid all claims when submitted but the past 2 years have been a nightmare. They pay a claim then request their money back from the providers and then reprocess and pay again. Was just told because I'm eligible for Medicare, they are no longer primary. Nobody ever told me this and yet they have paid claims since 2004. Now I never know what bills they're gonna send back to me. I've never seen such incompetent people in my life and they need to be held accountable for their actions.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Although in a previous review, I stated that my claim had been denied, the denial paperwork I received was not for the claim in question. My actual claim was approved with no conditions and my Claim Manager was accessible and responsive. Perhaps CIGNA is aware of the level of client dissatisfaction and is beginning to change!

Lisa of Cary, NC on

Original Review

I recently fell at work when the heel of my pump caught in my other pant leg. I broke one wrist and badly sprained the other and the doctor wrote me off of work for 4 weeks. CIGNA required that I file a Workers' Compensation claim first, and although it seemed like a long-shot, I complied. The CIGNA rep assured me that I'd be covered by them, should the WC claim be denied. I think she actually said, "We have your back." Predictably, the WC claim was denied, as the injury was determined to be "not work related."

Today, CIGNA denied my claim, determining that the injury "WAS work-related." The whole thing seemed absurd so I Googled "CIGNA STD claims" and I now know the full extent of their unethical practices. Our company is approaching open-enrollment time for next year's coverage and I'm going to research other options. My prayers go out to all of you who are dealing with this horrible company while also battling serious health conditions. God bless you!

I am waiting for my short term to be approved and it's been 4 wks. You call your case manager and all you get is voice mail. They try very hard to find reasons to not pay out so if you are looking at filing for short term make sure you have a lawyer and your insurance commission ready to intervene. I just reported them and had my lawyer get involved.

In July 2016 my husband was having back problems, our family doctor sent him to see an orthopedic doctor who took him out of work until they could find out what the problem was. After over 8 weeks and 10+ visits to the doctors and not working he is still waiting on CIGNA to start his short term disability. He started the paper work around July 27, 2016 and all phone calls were made by him to his "case worker". We checked into why it has not started and naturally the company handling the doctors records charge for copies and mailing. CIGNA has not paid the $10 to get the copies, which they deny, saying they have paid. Enough is enough. We are broke because any saving has been paid to the doctors and to our monthly bills. Get off your butt and do your job.

I found out my mother was dying with dementia and I was not taking it well. I finally had to go to the Dr. for severe panic attacks. I work in retail and I am with customers everyday. I could not perform my daily functions. My Dr. took me out on leave and I was out from July 5th until Oct. 3rd. Trying to receive my check from disability was even more stressful. I got behind in all my bills. I am on my way to being evicted and having my utilities cut off and I am going to probably lose my car as well. I have not received a check since the 13st of September.

Please, if you are considering paying for disability insurance of any kind don't waste your money. They will always find a way to deny you and I have paid for this for years and now because my Dr. did not word things the way they thought they should be worded they have ruined my life and I am going to lose everything. Insurance used to be good. Now it is a joke. Nothing but a money racket. As long as you pay in every mo. all is well but if you need it, you may as well forget it...

Cigna Disability Insurance Company Profile