1.38/5

266 Cigna Disability Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2019

Went out on STD 2/22/19 for 3 months per doctor's recommendation. Called Cigna 2/21/19 to start claim. Didn't receive any letters or calls from them first few days so I faxed in physical:s statement my doctor completed showing why I was being taken off work to get ball rolling. Eventually started receiving letters from several different rep requesting documents be completed and phone calls for documents and doctor's visit notes from certain dates. Spend the time going to doctor to get forms completed and faxing them back myself but once those sent started getting calls that different documentation needed or claim would be denied and was constantly given unreasonable amount of time to return like I could just walk into doctor's office and demand form completed on spot.

During this time still receiving letters also for more documentation. This went on for few weeks then around 3/29/19 received call from then case mgr Solomon threading to deny claim if certain form not received and he was rude saying I been out of work month and hadn't sent them any documentation which was not true. He only gave me three days to return form and doctor's notes for date never previously asked for that date was my last contact with Solomon. Later that called back Cigna to speak with customer advocate to demand someone tell me what documents do they need because I tired of making appointments and going back and forth to doctor to get completed. She stated they only needed behavioral health form and office notes from previous visit so went to office on 4/1 and got documents and faxed over with confirmation.

Then on 4/23 received called from Britney who I never heard from before that claim was being denied basically saying documentation doesn't support me not being able to do my job duties which they never asked me what they were. She told me I had two to decide if I wanted to appeal and I had to fax letter stating I wanted to appeal and include any additional documentation I had to be considered. I faxed letter and the doctor's notes and behavioral health form I already sent on 4/1/19 because she stated they were not on my file when it was reviewed.

When back to work on 5/2 I was informed by supervisor that my appeal was denied since 4/30 I didn't receive letter until postmarked date 5/3 that it was denied. I worked about a week when I sent back out on unpaid leave by employer because they determined I could no longer do all my job duties because of my disabilities (that Cigna denied my STD for) after requesting ADA accommodation on 4/30. So I have been on unpaid leave since 5/10/19 and from 2/22/19 to 5/2/9 b/c of Cigna denying my claim and about to lose health insurance.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 23, 2019

I went out of work December 2018 because of medical problems which originally started in October 2018. I filed a disability claim approximately 3 weeks later. The review process was long and Cigna constantly requested more information, in the meantime, my health took a turn for the worse. I eventually got better enough to get them the necessary paperwork to prove I was sick. They approved me up until the end of March, which I have been fighting to get approved since.

This whole time I have had to nag my doctors. Either not enough information, the paperwork wasn't specific, they did not receive the fax, Cigna faxed the wrong number. This last time Ruth (case manager) actually said that my doctor did not note on how the impairments would impact daily function of living. They do this on purpose. To make you give up so they won't have to pay the claim. I have made a formal complaint on my case manager, informed my doctor of what Cigna is doing, and also added a family member to be able to discuss.

I have read through all of the reviews as well. These people will do ANYTHING to deny you money. This paperwork needs to be filled out, oh, we didn't tell you, we need your doctor notes. We have not received any paperwork from your doctor. Your doctor did not state something. ANY excuse. If anyone reads this and feels overwhelmed and wants to talk about it, please do because maybe if we all get together we can finally figure out how this company works and get the money we are entitled to. I'm not going to stop until I get what I paid for.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 22, 2019

I was on STD from October 2018-March 2019. I’m still unable to work and was to transition to LTD on March 19, 2019. As of May 21, 2019, I haven’t been approved for LTD. Andrew ** has given me every excuse known to man as to why I haven’t been approved. He said, he was waiting on Social Security for my medical records. I have spoken with (4) representatives from Social Security and each one has said, they do not release medical records to a 3rd party. Cigna has to request my medical records from my doctors just as they did. Andrew ** told me, I would be denied on the information that he already has. He emailed me an authorization form to send to Social Security for my medical records only to be told after I signed the form that it was outdated. He emailed a 2nd form which I signed and faxed back as I did the 1st one and I called and asked him for confirmation of receipt. Did he return my call? No.

I contacted customer service and they verified receipt of the authorization form. Next, he said, they sent an invoice to Social Security in the amount of $38 for my medical records. Once again, I contacted Social Security office to verify what I was told. Guess what? I was told they never received an invoice and that they wouldn’t pay an invoice. Andrew claimed that the check was cashed and he was waiting on my records from the Social Security office. I emailed him and told him what I was told. Each time he change the date to buy more time. I’ve emailed and left a lot of messages for Andrew. One time, he said, he didn’t receive my email because of a firewall. I replied, I have a firewall too and yet I received his email. In fact, I was responding to an email he had just sent me.

I’ve asked him several times to send my denial letter since he said, he would deny my claim with the information he has. He hasn’t sent it yet but I know it’s coming. I have several health issues and he’s trying to tell me how I feel, what job I can do and pretty much my condition doesn’t warrant LTD. Andrew and his “medical team” don’t know me or the pain I’m in everyday. Until they walk a mile in my shoes, they can’t tell me anything. I’ve complained to my former employer about this being the worst insurance company on the planet. I was denied a procedure to help ease my back pain.

Cigna Disability Insurance response

Hello. I'm sorry you're having trouble with the email address. If you don't mind, please try re-sending your message to us at LetUsHelpU@cigna.com. We will be watching for your email and would be glad to help once it's received. Thank you for writing. -CM

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 20, 2019

On March 14th 2019, I had bunion surgery. I didn’t have any problems the first month. Then, the second month, I found out thru my job, that I wasn’t getting paid. I was told that Cigna claimed that they didn’t receive my paperwork from my doctor. Cigna never contacted me by phone or mail, to let me know about the missing paperwork. I called my doctor’s office and the paperwork was faxed, again. Then a week later, Cigna sent me a letter in the mail to tell me that my claim has been closed. After reading other reviews, I see how this is a common thing Cigna does. And.... I’m still not released from my doctor!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I went out on short term disability in October 2018 for back and leg issues. I was not approved to get paid until December. It was difficult to walk most days, I couldn't sit for long periods of time or even stand without horrible pain. Since then I have been jumping through hoops to continue my 66% pay. Excuse after excuse from the claim managers. They claimed not to receive info from my doctors. I eventually started having the doctors fax me the forms and I would email it to the claim manager and then call to make sure they got it. That was the only way to ensure they couldn't place blame on the doctor for lack of information. I went through a series of tests, had back injections that didn't work, so the last resort was back surgery. It was finally scheduled for April of this year.

One month before surgery, Cigna closed my claim, stating there wasn't enough information to support my claim! I was supposed to roll over to LTD after May 2. I am at risk of losing my job, I'm about to be evicted, and constantly worried about power being shut off, etc. I have worked with the public for over 20 years and have never dealt with more rude people than their "customer advocates." They do not care if you are paid, nor do they care what the repercussions of not getting paid are to those who are desperately needing to pay bills. I'm ashamed that my company even uses them for their disability insurance claims.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have not received any money from this company since the end of March. My case is closed as of last Friday. I have made numerous calls and was either informed that they needed more records or they needed forms filled out. They asked me questions about my issues on the phone and then stated they needed some clarification from my doctor. The doctor did not complete the form under their time frame, which I wasn’t aware there was a deadline for this form and that is the reason my case was closed. I have an upcoming surgical procedure for my spine. The problem is that short term disability it is not happy that I don’t have a date for the procedure at this time due to waiting on authorization from insurance. Not only am I experiencing pain constantly, I have had to deal with the stress of this company on top of it. It is very disheartening.

I have been on top of everything this entire time. Making sure they are receiving records, calling for updates, spending time to make sure my doctor received the forms and were completing them. I have been dealing with this company since I went out of work in January. They paid me for about two months and I have been dealing with this since the end of March. By closing my case, it concerns me that if it is not open again, I will be unable to apply for long term disability if needed. The medical reasoning is there, they are just not thrilled with not receiving one paper on their time frame. I feel like they will do anything to close a case. It is a shame!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I purchased Long Term Disability Insurance with CIGNA (LINA) for about 25 years prior to making a claim. The insurance was offered through my employer State Farm. CIGNA covered 2 years of my disability (after the 6 month wait), however now they are performing a two year review for any occupation. An IME (Independent Medical Exam) has been scheduled by CIGNA for me, even though Social Security approved my claim on the first review.

My medical records/history is very extensive, covering multiple surgeries and procedures in an attempt to try and make my conditions manageable; however they just keep getting worse. The pain is excruciating, it affects my sleeping, moods, mobility, relationships, everything in my life. It started out with Endometriosis in my mid early to mid-twenties, which ended up in a total Hysterectomy.

The Endometriosis developed into Fibromyalgia, which then also was complicated my Diffuse Small Fiber Neuropathy (diagnosed as a result of a Skin Punch Biopsy). This affects my bladder, causing incontinence which is unable to be helped by Rx medications as I am beyond that point. I can wear heavy adult protection, with a heavy pad, all meant for adults with Incontinence, but when stressed it has gone through all my protection, soaking my blue jeans, causing me to have to put a towel on my car seat to drive home. I have Mental and Cognitive issues, which are in large due to my Physical Conditions which are all predicted to stay the same or get worse. There is NO prognosis for the medical conditions to ever get better, and or improve.

From the voluminous amount of complaints by claimants about CIGNA on the Internet, I fully expect them to deny my claim as this is standard procedure for the company so their CEO, and VP's can make all the money they do being overpaid for denying valid claims as indicated by past State Insurance Department investigations, fines, rulings.

I have a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner, Primary Care Physician, Rheumatologist, and Neuropsychologist who all support my disability and have written letters explaining the same along with what they are basing it on. I also have an Urologist who can support my Bladder/Incontinence issues, along with a prior Pain Management Doctor who after several procedures said there was nothing else he could do for me, as everything he could try was exhausted. I also provided a complete record from my prior Rheumatologist who I went to for years prior to my new one.

CIGNA (LINA) has immense amount of test results, history of countless failed procedures performed in an attempt to alleviate my pain and urinary issues with no success, record of past missed work, and medical history which all backs my claim as being legitimate. *It is amazing just how many times CIGNA claims to not have received documentation even though the medical provider or us have included the Incident Number with a cover sheet, and every other place we are sending that information has received it. Also how many times the Medical Examiners reviewing the documentation for CIGNA take only certain words or sentences from a claimants Medical Providers to bolster their case, IE CIGNA Cherry Picks what they want to use, and disregards what does not support CIGNA’s case.

For those suffering or those family members and friends going through this: I strongly encourage using this website as a means to voice your issues/concerns, along with writing your State Insurance Department and the Insurance Department for whatever state your disability policy was written in. Also writing the State Insurance Departments that previously investigated and fined CIGNA in the past Connecticut, California, Massachusetts, Maine, and Pennsylvania, as a means of letting those agencies know even though they cannot address your claim (if the policy and or state you live in is not in their jurisdiction) that things have not changed with CIGNA, so hopefully the States reinvestigate CIGNA and fine them again.

Your State Legislature, Local Official’s, News Agencies such as Daily Mail, CBS, NBC, ABC, ETC. are all worth writing, along with Social Media and CIGNA’s Executives (once you have your handling Reps Email Address then you should be able to figure out the Executive Email Addresses by using the same format). The more people that fight this Mega Company the more chance they will be held responsible for their crimes of greed, dishonesty, and Bad Faith Claims Handling all for The Powerful Almighty Dollar. CIGNA has a massive amount of Lawyers and Lobbyist to make sure the deck is stacked in their favor, so only through a mass effort can we hope to change Corporate America.

Original review: May 5, 2019

Absolutely fantastic. After having to have a major surgery, I had to go out on STD, then Cigna changed it to LTD. It was scary because I had no idea what to expect. The claims manager, Alex, has been so much help. Alex from Cigna has taken care of everything for me. Now I have read the other reviews, but can only comment on my experience. A+!!! Thank you Alex and Cigna!!!

Original review: May 2, 2019

I have purchased Cigna short-term disability thru my employer. I was out for surgery. I returned swiftly following surgery. Now, I'm told they overpaid me. I'm calling BS on that. I don't owe you. #healthcare.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I went out on STD due to flaring autoimmune diseases (Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Psoriasis). I am in so much pain I can’t even think straight. I went out 3 months ago and called Cigna immediately to start the disability claim process. I sent them all the necessary forms and information and was told for WEEKS it was under review. I would call every other day for an update and was told it’s under review. After 2 1/2 months they declined and closed my case, without any notification, stating not enough medical evidence! WTF it took 2 1/2 months of daily calling to say not enough medical evidence. These people are game playing shysters!!! They have a script they follow to decline everyone. I will fight them to the bitter end. Scumbags!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 27, 2019

I was first on Short term then went into long term disability. Several issues have happened. First while on short term disability I would be told my doctor's office never sent paperwork. I would call my doctor's office and get the date and time paperwork was faxed. Lo and behold the claims manager would just happen to find the missing paperwork when given the date and time. During Long term disability I called to see if my check would be going direct deposit or if it would be mailed to me. Imagine my surprise to find out I have a new claims manager who told he didn’t know if my check would be directly deposited or not. That I would know on such and such date if it wasn’t in my account.

Now the last thing I was ensured my check would be directly deposited on a certain date into my account. When that date came there was no check in my account. I called the bank who informed they could not see any incoming deposits. I call my claims manager who then says, "Huh? It should be there." So after calling the bank again I call the claims manager once again. This time I am told, "Well it takes 24 hours to show up. Also your account was coded wrong. Your check should have been issued 5-7 days prior to the specific date. That way you had your money by the said date." So 24 hours later no check. I called the bank. Was given same info, "No can’t see any incoming either."

I called Cigna and spoke to a different representative who told me, "It takes 3-5 days after we release your check for it to show up in your account." I asked to speak to a supervisor. At 4:30 pm I had not heard back. I sent an email to my employer's representative who contacted Cigna and within 30 mins the supervisor called me. She said, "It takes 3-5 days." I asked why her staff did not tell me this and why was I told the check should have been issued the week before. I said, "It appears to me your staff lack training and are incompetent." She informed me that my case was coded wrong and I have been getting checks at the beginning of my benefit month. She said I am suppose to get at the end so as a result I will not be getting a check next month.

I asked how this was my fault, why do I have to suffer the consequences when her staff who are incompetent and don’t know their jobs are the ones who screwed up. She said, "Well we have to correct this." I said, "Yes. At my expense that isn’t right." All she could say was, "I am sorry. We will address this at the next meeting." I said, "Your sorries don’t put food on my table or pay my mortgage." I told her I will be filing a report with the BBB. My husband says to file a lawsuit for the overdrafts they caused as I was assured my check would be in my account and the mental anguish this has caused me.

Resolution response: March 20, 2019

It took a while but I am satisfied with the outcome now.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I have LTD through work from Cigna. I am an RN and have been a nurse for over 30 years. I have paid into this policy for well over a decade. When I finally need it they are so incompetent that I can not believe they have not been investigated and shut down. In the last year my psoriatic arthritis has become so bad that I can not walk without a cane. I had a total knee replacement and will need both hips done due to the joint damage. Hx of back fracture several years ago with severe pain and arthritis also. Severe Neuropathy in legs due to trauma from broken back. They say that they have not received things from your doctor BUT they lie.

I went to my employer (who is also my primary care facility) a large healthcare and hospital complex, to find out why they had not sent the information to Cigna. They showed me where they had in fact sent the information to Cigna on TWO different occasions. I now have to get my lawyer involved and I hopefully can sue them for the decades I paid into a policy that they don't seem interested in paying. I have read this policy several times and like I said I am an RN with over 30 years and have worked in every area of the hospital including doing physical evaluation for the hospitals Physical, Medicine and Rehab unit. I more than meet the requirements of the policy. ALSo if anyone hears of any class action lawsuits against Cigna please let me know!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

If you have to deal with Cigna, be sure to document every call you make, keep all fax receipts from your communications and keep all letters that they send you. Take a photo or screenshot of the log of calls made on your cell phone. In my case, I have had only one call back after reaching out over a dozen times by phone. That one call back came when I was on a plane and a message was left that I should call them. I called four times, leaving a message with no call backs. A week later they sent a letter that they tried to call me on an ensuing day but I was not available. Luckily I have my call logs to prove this to be untrue. Their letter stated that they try to return calls within 24 hours...also not true. It is up to you to protect yourself and realize that companies like Cigna may not be advocating for you at all. They appear to more likely just not want to pay their claims.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

For years I paid for Long term Disability insurance, never thinking I would need it. Until I did. I have several Conditions, all proven By medical tests, Small Fiber Neuropathy, proven by Skin Punch Biopsy. Sjogren's Syndrome proven by Lip Biopsy. Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome diagnosed by a geneticist. POTS proven by Cleveland Clinic extensive testing. Yet all that is ignored, and they write on my files Severe mental disability, why, because they can say they do not owe you any money after two years. They even went as far as to deny my entire medical file when I asked and signed for it. They informed me that there were 5 pages of very sensitive material and I needed to pick a doctor to send it to.

Then of course it ended up in my medical digital file, so now the rest of my life my Doctors can access my personal Counseling notes. So what's next, they denied my claim after 5 years, and now want to subject me to a psych hack, that has so many complaints against him. It isn't funny, all for writing fake psych evaluations. Then they threaten you with a letter that states whatever the Hack finds they are obligated to report to anyone, so basically authorizing them to ruin your life. They are worse than the Mafia, do not waste your money.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

My wife applied for my STD back in 11/2018 because I was in a coma suffering from severe sepsis which led to bacterial meningitis, among other illnesses. We were issued one check in November for two weeks and then one in Dec. for one week. Then our claim was closed because a Cigna associate said there was not enough information from the Dr. We appealed with significant more proof that I am indeed still unable to work from the effects of Bacterial Meningitis. I have lost my hearing, I am unable to stand/walk without assistance and unable to drive due to a balance disorder. They denied the appeal! The doctors recommended vestibular therapy and I was going but had to stop since I have no income coming in. I have to see several doctors per month and still pay the co-pays.

I don't understand how Cigna can see that I go to several doctors per month, and still say I do not meet the requirements. I wonder with all that I have read from other complaints what exactly does qualify for you to get what you paid into? Maybe, death? Then who would you pay? I guess It would even be denied then? It is so sad that when you need assistance after working so hard and thinking that whatever illness you are dealing with, it will be a little easier knowing you have insurance to help out with the bills, just to find out, that Cigna will fight you tooth & nail just so they do not have to pay a claim. I think that a class action suit should be brought against this company asap! Sincerely, A Very Unhappy Customer.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I went on FMLA through my company (ARA) for which I had Cigna PPO ins. I signed up for short term disability, as I was out of work on a flare up from an injury sustained during combat in Iraq (documented). I ended up getting paid for 4 weeks. 4. Since then I've had flare-ups where I fainted, disorientation, crippling anxiety, night sweats, not to mention my fiance had a miscarriage which destroyed her, not your problem, but that was on my plate too. Taking care of her which I'm sure also takes a toll on my mental stability. Seeing things, hearing things, paranoia, hypervigilance. Cigna Behavioral Health wants me back in work like this? You clearly need training.

I find it hard to believe that your "behavioral Health Specialists" if they knew what PTSD was would think 4 whole weeks would suffice to get back in the workforce. I could not focus, I could not be around people. I was locking myself in bathrooms and crying. I've turned around on the way to work due to anxiety being so high I had to turn around, I've missed quite a bit of time at every job I've had since discharge. And here's Cigna, saying, "Just go back to work Jeff." That is the most irresponsible and potentially dangerous solution, just so you guys can save a few bucks.

I am not sure if you're aware of the 2 decades of war we have been involved in. Many have answered the call, many I know personally have given their all. Millions upon millions of Veteran's coming home to OUR country, the one we're willing to give our ALL to, needing help. 1/4 are coming back with some level of PTSD. Suicide is at an all-time high for Marines. 22 a day. Mental health is a CRISIS, but "get back to work Jeff so we can save a few bucks." Just this week we've had 3 marines take their life. Stop giving them a hard time. PTSD is a real disease, stop treating it like a twisted freaking ankle.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I applied for short term disability through my workplace, due to a work related injury that was denied. Dr office sent in paperwork, Cigna never received it. So I reapplied. Paperwork that Dr.'s office sent in states I will be out from 11/27/18-2/18/19 due to 4 surgeries. 1st & 2nd surgeries were on 11/27/18, next 2 were on 12/4/18, follow up appt. on 12/14/18. I was approved for 12/4/18-12/14/18, received 1 check end of Jan. 2019. Was told I will have to wait til my 2/15/19 appt. so they can review & set up a payment. What? Meantime, I have to send in my Cigna insurance premiums while I am not working. This process has to be reviewed.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Good morning. I am sending this comment in regards to my experience. I applied for my STD in Dec 17/2018. Until moment I have not received any phone call, any message or any notification. I deserve respect. My case is with “Luka”. Supposedly they have not received my doctor's records, I think this is negligent work because I called my doctor office and his assistants and got my records. This is the worst company. I am thinking to submit a complaint with the BBB.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I have muscular dystrophy (MD) and a number of other disabilities associated with my MD. I use an electric wheelchair full-time, with limited ability to transfer, I use a ventilator at night to allow me to breathe while sleeping. For years doctors talked to me about stopping work. This year when my neurologist brought it up, I said, "Yes, I think it is time." I cannot get out of bed without help and getting ready for work took me two hours and left me exhausted. I was sick often with respiratory issues and UTIs. I was not keeping up at work. My doctor took me out of work immediately and I filed for short-term disability. I was denied, appealed and was denied again.

Once I received Approval with no appeals from Social Security, I thought for sure they would approve me. Today, I received a package with 3 inches of records and another denial. This is progressive disease, it did not happen overnight as might happen with a car accident or a diagnosis of Cancer. Yet I absolutely can no longer work, but do not meet the criteria of my employer's plan.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I applied for long term disability coverage through my employer's plan. First of all, I've only been on SHORT term disability twice. Once, for two days longer than the uncovered first week (from a workplace injury, at that), and at a later date, two weeks because of complications after minor surgery. I had to go round and round and round with these scam artists, all the while they saying they didn't get this or I didn't do that. I am 45 and have successfully been treated for depression since my teenage years. I have been clean and sober for seven years. And often times my back is sore because I have a physically demanding job. Which I've actually had addressed recently with chiropractic appointments.

After months of jumping through hoops, contacting every medical provider I've ever breathed on, and calling, emailing and leaving messages for these liars, I received a denial of coverage letter for: lumbago (which I actually had to look up to discover is a fancy schmancy way of saying lower back pain), depression and ** usage. As I previously stated, the depression has been life long and never once interfered with being a productive member of society, any and all drug use ceased SEVEN years ago, and what 45 year old doesn't experience lower back pain? But yet, I personally know of people who've had major back surgeries and eat ** meds like they're Skittles, that not only received coverage, but are currently sitting on their butts using it.

The only consolation I have, is seeing these reviews and how hard they are to get to acknowledge claims, now knowing I won't be another poor soul whose money they took. I will say this, the day will come, I'm sure, that I'll need to find individual coverage independent of a workplace offering, and it will NEVER be Cigna!!! And on another note, their dental coverage is crap, too. $2k yearly cap. That won't even cover a root canal and crown. I used to think they were one of the better providers, but now see I was either completely out of my mind wrong, or that they have taken a complete **. I will make SURE to alert ALL of my peers of their incompetence and unethical business practices. By word of mouth AND social media. I invite you to do the same, so that we may save the next innocent victim of their heinous greed and uncaring practices. And keep our hard earned money out of their blackhole pockets.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I got sick in April of 2018 at work and had to go in the hospital, for my Diabetes and was diagnosed with diabetes neuropathy really bad and they cut off my payments even when they got all the paperwork from my doctor. Now they’re sending me to their doctor because my doctor don’t know what he’s doing according to them. After he sent me and had the same test done to get his results. Don’t spend your money messing with them. They find any way not to pay you. Still fighting with them to do RIGHT.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I fell off my horse in Aug 2018. I broke 7 ribs, punctured a lung and bruised my spleen. Cigna has NEVER paid me on time, they are over a month behind and now I'm about to get evicted since Cigna is still reviewing paperwork. Paperwork that I had to obtain because they are so INCOMPETENT at doing their job. You talk to a different person each time, who gives you different information each time. Basically you're screwed if these people are who holds your short-term disability. Instead of healing from surgery, I'm doing these people's job just to get my measly 230.00 a week. I work in the medical field!! Cigna does not care about the customer and employees show no empathy for hurt/sick patients. If 0 stars were an option, that's what I would choose.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I have dealt with Cigna for a brief time and through this time the lack of transparency and customer service ratings are poor. Dealing with the case managers the lack of communication and follow up with doctors are horrible. I deal with my doctor on a regular basis and my doctor has given them all the information that they requested but constantly they’re coming up with other ways or other information that they say they need and not specific on the information that is needed. Really when are people going to start doing their jobs and not have customers doing it for them? This is so silly. People that are hurt or ongoing conditions or circumstances that happen in their lives and now we have to deal with big insurance Companies that do not care for the individual and only are worried about shareholders and big profits. May God show you the same grace that you show people that are hurt.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I went home from work on 10/7/2015 after not feeling well. I had a dr appointment that afternoon, I went and I wasn’t in the Dr's office 10 minutes but what an ambulance was called. I was taken to the hospital after my EKG was off the charts. After undergoing open heart surgery triple bypass and an aorta replacement I was forced to retire because I can't drive a truck without a certification from Department of Transportation after 24 years. I was 61 at the time and unable to work. I also have COPD, emphysema, arthritis, on inhalers constantly. Back problems and so much more. I can’t walk very far anymore without shortness of breath.

I also had to go back because I was getting angina again after the triple bypass. And they found that 2 arteries had fused together and closed so I had to go get a stent put in one of the veins so I’m only running on 2 arteries. So I get very short of breath and can’t sit or walk for a very long time. So I have been on long term disability and SSDI after doing tons of paperwork and seeing their Drs. and mine. Suddenly I was just cut off even though I am entitled to 1 1/2 more years of payments. No rhyme or reason. Case closed. I tried to talk with them but they said the same thing over and over, "Case closed." This place has a very bad reputation and I see why. As long as you're paying it in and not collecting they love you but when you have a claim they try everything they can to deny you.

I know it’s their job but omg I’m 64 years old now and denied my payments. Welcome to the old people’s world. I guess just disregard us after we turn so old that we don’t have to pay in anymore but do need some help. I mean after all I paid extra all that time just to get 60% instead of 50% and now nothing even though I can’t work. Case closed is all I told. Well I guess I better slow down taking my ** because I won’t be able to afford them anymore so probably just die of heart failure. Thanks Cigna. My grandchildren love you.

Resolution response: Dec. 6, 2018

Cigna did process the claim as they should have and for that I am satisfied. I was not at fault for the errors made during processing by the Cigna representative and should not have been punished by them withholding my claim. They did make an adjustment as requested regardless of being told they would not. For this reason, I am resolving the issue and appreciate their reconsideration on the decision previously.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have medical paperwork completed by my doctors. The claim manager at Pittsburgh has messed up the disability claim twice and now has cut my claim off. She first order a check and the amount was wrong so she canceled it. Then she authorized a check and the amount was incorrect. She has cut off my disability as she states I owe them $249 overpayment and she will not just make an adjustment on what they owe me. Furthermore, they are demanding all medical records, films, etc even though the doctor’s office completed all information.

I was in ICU for almost 4 days and in the hospital two weeks. I have doctor’s appointments with a cardiovascular surgeon and reoccurring appointments with my general physician. She will not approve my disability due to her own power trip and does not care about the fact that I am sick and paperwork was submitted. I did have paperwork submitted until off until 12/19/18 originally. I was paid one time for $521 up to 11/13/18.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Updated on 01/21/2019: Waiting on the case and nurse managers still checking what my drs were sending saying I need to stay out of work. I sent every record to the case and nurse person again. They always say, "We didn't get things" or that the dr didn't answer or something. That is a lie. The seizures I have I guess that stop me from talking and oh wait having tubes down my throat. I guess I can still go to work daily when that happens. I've done everything the Cigna case lady has asked me since October. Me calling her to find things out. But it took the nurse person for Cigna from October to January to decide that I wasn't sick enough or however they deny you. Now I'll still be sick and not being able to function my job and well because I've waited so long for nothing anything help from Cigna. I'm sure I'll be losing things also. Have a nice afternoon.

Original Review: I've been out of work since the end of June 2018. I had grand-mal seizures. Had more in August to the point the Drs put tubes in my throat and nose. So my boss told me to go on short term. I also had a heart attack and a stent put in in March. I went back to work 3 days after I got out. I've had so many Drs appt and Cigna has wanted the Drs to give them updates every appt. Even if in July my Dr put for me to stay out till November. If they "SAY" they don't get the update. They hold back your short term... Two of my Drs now have sent info to them. Primary and Neurologist but case manager just says, "We didn't receive it. Have them send it again." Let me call them. Ask which dr is which. Now the lady has closed my case. Even though I still sit at home having seizures. No-one gives help when you try to figure this out. It is just more stress for the people who are already dealing with sickness and other things.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I went out on STD on March 29 2018, due to severe anxiety panic disorder with agoraphobia. I sought treatment and was also diagnosed with high blood pressure, when My FMLA ran out sept 24 I was told I’d have to apply for Long Term Disability With Cigna through my job. It’s now November 13 and it’s still under review, every time I call they tell call back in a few days and I should have a decision. I’ve been with my job for 11 years, all of this is from my job. The stress anxiety etc. dealing with Cigna has given me setbacks in my treatment, my doctors have told me they’ve sent all required documentation as requested, Cigna has said that they haven’t gotten them or still waiting for them.

I have never missed worked or ever had to use any of these type services before, I think it’s a shame that all the comments I’ve read that this is a standard practice with Cigna. They’ve gotten paid by me for the last 11 years and now they want to fight me in getting the services I’ve paid for. This company should be looked at further and investigated. I’m praying I do find out soon, if not I’m out of luck. I can’t go back to work, and still have to find a way to pay for my meds.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I filed my claim for STD through my employer and Cigna two weeks prior to my surgery. To date I’ve been off 4 plus weeks and have not received any benefits! Not only did they make a mistake on my claim I spent hours on the phone trying to straighten this out only to be put on hold and transferred from person to person! I had to contact my employer to help with this. So frustrating they don’t have people working for them that know how to fix their mistakes! Horrible!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

All I can say is if you're able do not purchase anything from this insurance company!! I was off work for 8 weeks due to a disability I was born with and my employer not wanting to accommodate me after my Dr put me on a 50/50 restriction. I had to hire an employment lawyer in my area and send a nondiscrimination letter to my employer for accommodations so I could return to work due to a disability I was born with. My employer uses Cigna for our short term disability. I filed my claim on August the 8th and have went back to work but still no payment on my short term disability. I keep getting letters stating no supporting evidence to support my claim!!!

I have the back of a 90 year old person at the age of 49. I chose to work because I want to not because I have to. I have never seen such incompetence as I have with this company. I went to Scottish Rite Hospital for Crippled Children until I was 18. And here this company has a nurse telling me that I am able to stand 9 to 12 hours a day. REALLY!!! I am way over this incompetent company and on my way to seek legal counsel. Do not depend on Cigna to help you with anything even though they are paid to do so. I would challenge anyone of them at this company to work and live in my shoes for one day or one week they would never make it.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I had a spinal surgery in July 2018. I had problems from the very beginning. 1st... every time you call you are on hold for very long periods of time to try and speak with someone. Not one time did my STD payments arrive when the should have. My Dr moved offices so I called Cigna and asked them to change the address and fax number they had on file. Cigna did not make the change in their system and continually sent the forms they needed completed to an incorrect number. For 2 weeks they kept telling me my Dr was not responding. My Dr's office kept telling me they never received anything from Cigna.

Finally after multiple calls and being on hold forever I asked the case manager to review my Dr info and figured out they never made the changes when I previously called them. It then took them 4 days to make the change in their system. Forms were finally sent. My Dr returned the forms the next day and again a week and a half later after multiple calls and insisting to speak to a supervisor they finally approved that payment and thru the end of the month.

At my next Dr appt we discussed my return to work. He preferred that I stay off work longer than what my STD would allow. I was able to get him to agree to let me go back when it ends and he agreed if I worked 1/2 days for 2 weeks after. I am having difficulty sitting for more than a few hours at a time and I have a desk job. He completed the forms and Cigna denied/closed my claim. They felt I should have gone back to work 2 weeks ago! So now I will have to live off of 1 week's pay for a month. I guess they know better than my Dr! I also should mention that my last pay (which is already reduced) was also shorted. I am appealing the denial. Wonder how long that will take. I would "NOT " recommend Cigna. Unfortunately they are the STD provider the co. I work for uses.

Cigna Disability Insurance Company Information