1.10/5
Based on 212 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

228 Cigna Disability Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 22, 2018

Thanks again for Consumer Affairs... The reason for my email is to share that Cigna's Claudia - HAS DELAYED, DENIED MY disability claim since May 20, 2018 delay after delay with Cigna EVEN THOUGH my VA Primary Doctor in writing verifying my injuries, loss of days out of work, I've earned Perfect Attendance for the last years but been employed for almost 9 years.

The reason I'm out of work now because I was ATTACKED & INJURED by a co worker for no reason. Not to mention my employer has reduced the last check to crumbs and when I called Payroll treated this veteran with TOTAL -- DISTAIN!!! Which I was responsible in case of any surprises; arranged years ago DISABILITY and I PAID CIGNA to deduct the cost out of my earned paycheck - weekly but Claudia Cigna's (Claims Manager)... after faxes still hell-bent on withholding my DISABILITY Benefit Payment that I'VE EARNED & PAID FOR BECAUSE... I'm the injured victim & hurt in pain suffering.

What's a man without money to live. Cigna's Claim Manager's Claudia ** is acting in bad faith claim while I can't pay my bills, affecting my good name/credit, medical health after my doctor keeps faxing medical documents Claudia required and requested SAME RECORDING' UNDER REVIEW... UNDER REVIEW, UNDER REVIEW. I've exhausted my savings and Claudia is ACTING IN BAD FAITH AS CLAIMS MANAGER! Thanks to my veterans friends, friends and loved ones especially thank you God!!!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 17, 2018

If you have a mental disability and you apply for disability through Cigna you are totally screwed. I went on disability in October 2017 due to depression, anxiety and borderline personality disorder. Everything went fine until January 2018. Then BOOM! Denied! They came up with all kinds of reasons. First they weren’t receiving the requested documentation. It just snowballed from there. If you have a somewhat decent day they think you are ready to go back to work not understanding that mental illness is like being on a roller coaster.

Here it is mid June and I have received no money at all. I have no medical insurance. I have to beg and borrow to get my medication and make it to my psychiatrist visits. I sometimes wonder if Cigna is holding out hope that I just kill myself so I will leave them alone. I sometimes don’t know what to do. I just don’t know how much longer I can take it. I’m on my second appeal. Received a letter at the end of May saying they needed 45 more days to review my records. Dear Cigna why don’t you just provide me with a gun.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2018

After being on STD and covered by CIGNA I have to say that it has not been a very good experience. I was sent a letter stating my weekly benefits and contacted my rep. She gave me misleading information about my benefits and when they would arrive. Today I did not receive my benefits and called her. She stated she just got into her emails to see that I was still going to be on STD so would issue my benefits. So now I have to wait several more days before I get paid. I normally get paid benefits on Wednesdays and had to cancel an appointment because I didn't get the scheduled payment. It is incredibly frustrating and stressful to be on STD because you never know when or if you're going to be paid. The reps here need more training and need the correct information when discussing benefits. This causes clients stress and frustration.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I am out of work temporarily. Cigna insurance is the short-term disability provider for my employer. After each doctor post-op visit, the doctor is required to submit a clinic note to justify continuation of benefits. My eligibility date to receive payments was 12/29/2017. The disability payments right now is my only source of my own income. After each doctors visit, the doctors office immediately faxed over the information required. Each time, Cigna claimed they didn't have the paperwork, or they needed more information, or they had to contact the doctor regarding the nature of my job. Each time I call Cigna to inquire about delay, I received different information from each person I spoke to.

Cigna is using delay tactics. After this last doctor visit, 3/29/2018, as usual the information was sent in. Continuation of my disability has still not been approved. I have been told 3 different reasons by 3 different people why. So I have been without a check for 3 weeks. Short term disability is only 60% of one's salary. I have been lied to, my claims have been delayed; in my opinion these are delay tactics on the part of Cigna. The process they use to pay clients who are legitimately unable to temporarily work, are certainly not done hastily, or with any thought that it is the client's much needed income.

Updated on 04/18/2018: My last doctor appointment was 3/29/2018. After many attempts for information regarding my disability claim, I found out after several weeks my claim has been denied. This was after phone call after phone call, email after email, with no one giving me a straight answer about the delay and lack of answers. My job requires me to walk all day, and am currently in a short leg cast. This disability right now is my only income. Obviously I am going to appeal, which will take a long time, I can only imagine.

Perhaps Cigna didn’t like the wording of the doctor's note with his recommendation of no weight bearing for a few more weeks, or the X-ray report. The point is that when a claim is being denied, Cigna has no regard for a person's situation regarding anxiety, finances, etc. and that their delay in notification to the insured is atrocious. Each person I spoke to gave me a different answer to my questions. My claim manager was rarely ever available by phone, a call to a supervisor was only returned after I called a second time. This has been going on for weeks. So I am still in a situation of not being able to work, and have no income. This lack of communication is just inexcusable.

If there was a doubt that my claim would be denied and had they communicated this, I could have been proactive in getting more information from my doctor. It is apparent after reading other reviews on this site that I am not the only person dealing with the below poor customer service, horrible communication, and bad business practices of this company.

Original review: March 14, 2018

CIGNA closes my LTD claim without any notice. My February check was short, so I called CIGNA on 2/28/18. Was told my claim manager would look into it and get back to me. I have made three calls to find out what's going on. I found out today that my claim was closed. No notice. No call. When I called today for an update and was informed that my claim is closed, I was told my case manager called me on my cell on 3/9/18. But my cell call log doesn't show any incoming calls. Now, I'm stuck. I'm in the process of appealing SSDI. I now have no money, I'm not married and have no other means of support. I can hardly get out of bed. I guess they want me to join the homeless. Jokes on them, I'll kill myself first.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Cigna says they provide 60% of pay for S.T.D. They must have felt obligated to keep all the change that would equal my 60%. They were giving me 59% for 3 months. Also, they would only approve me until my next doctor visit even though at the beginning of my claim, the doctor told them I would be out until 2 weeks after my surgery. I went on disability in October, surgery was in December, I went back to work in January. I had to call them weekly to update them that I would still be out after PRE-op appointments, then had to wait 2 weeks for them to catch up and approve it. I really hope I never have to go on disability again through Cigna.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I filed for STD with Cigna and of course it wasn’t enough information. I suffer from internal tremors in my head and right hand also fibromyalgia. My memory is bad from the fibro fog. I’m a nurse that is right-handed and starts IV daily. But Cigna states that I can work because I have some grip and can raise my arms over my head. I can barely get out of bed due to severe pain. I’m shaking and I can work. My Dr. has clearly stated all this. They denied me and closed my case. I have appealed it and awaiting their decision. I do have a lawyer if I get denied again. They have nurses not doctors making these decisions. I will never go through them again after I get what is owed to me. They should be taken out of business.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I have been out of work since 10/13/16. Today is 12/4/16. Cigna has been provided all necessary paperwork and has yet to approve my disability. Furthermore, they have failed to provide my employer with my FMLA paperwork. I've left messages and called everyday. They are well aware I may lose my house because of this and have still not contacted me or approved my leave. Shameful company.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

When my husband had to take leave for back injury his employer told us we'd receive $174 a week. Well let me tell you we lived on $45 for two weeks. A family of four, no food stamps, no nothing, these people have literally ruin our kids Christmas. Please do NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I've been dealing with Cigna for a LTD claim since April of this year. It took them almost six months of requesting "extra" information and telling me they've not received paperwork from my doctors before they denied my claim. My specialist then submitted paperwork stating that I am totally unable to perform the duties of my job and I’m nearly totally disabled. Cigna's doctor reviewed the new records and told me that their "original decision stands". I am almost totally house bound. I have home health nurses that come to care for me and I use a wheelchair when I have to be on my feet for longer than 5 minutes. Not sure what more they need. This whole situation has caused serious depression and anxiety. I feel like they will do anything to get out of paying LTD, so I am currently interviewing attorneys in order to get resolution.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

CIGNA disability!!! They make their own rules - I’ve been out of work for a few months with anxiety & panic attacks & insomnia & depression. My doctor has me on month-to-month evaluations. I’ve been out for four months. On the fifth month they have denied the claim the same diagnosis was submitted, I’ve called to talk to (Jessica **) Plano Texas field claims officer, five or six times and emailed her three or four times asking why my claim has not been approved. She will not return any of my calls or emails!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Okay, this is so frustrating and stressful that I'm not sure where to start. Almost two months ago, I called Cigna to file for Short Term Disability and here I am now starving to death. Let me back up a bit. I am a disabled veteran. I have an service related anxiety disorder. It's something that I have constantly struggled with for the last few years. And I have a very stressful job. My employer has been very caring and understanding of my situation, I'm proud to say that I've had the job over six years. But recently, it's gotten to be too much for me to handle.

So my doctors agreed that it would do me good to take a break. It was my goal to take some time off, get my mind right, and comeback stronger. Cigna has been grossly incompetent and have only served to make my life worse. For starters, I filed for the STD in the second week of September. The paperwork didn't get to my doctor until early October. I made repeated calls to them. One call I was told that they were making my case a priority because it had not yet been worked yet. Then I called again and found that my caseworker was out of the office and Cigna had completely dropped the ball. And in between there were countless unreturned voicemails and caseworkers are seldom available.

Finally, my Doc gets my paperwork. My provider found the questions to be vague and unfocused on what really matters. Cigna did not want to know about any of the problems I've dealt with prior to filing the claim. As I said earlier, this anxiety is something that I've struggled with for a long time. I had to have a break. Late last week, I was told that one reason that Cigna could not approve it is because I had not had a serious incident related to stress and anxiety. What does that say about how mental health is treated in America? Was I supposed to have a breakdown before I get help?

So now, I'm at the point where my case has been escalated to Cigna's in house doctor. Their doctor has to review everything, and have a peer-to-peer meeting with my doctor. I'm worried about how long this escalation is going to last. I understand that my VA doctors have a lot on their plate too. There will be more phone tag, and it could still get denied. So at the end of November, I could be going to back to work broke and no better than I was before. If I could just get a week or two to deal with myself and not have to worry about all this Cigna stuff. I sincerely feel that Cigna is only after taking care of themselves. It's not like I need a year off, just a short time to deal with some mental challenges that I'm facing. We'll see how it goes.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

My wife has Lyme disease and has been on disability since 2014. CIGNA denied her claim then overturned it on the 3rd appeal. They then paid for 1 year and 11 months (past 2 years they have deny again). We appealed and just recently got it overturned again. They supposedly mailed out the arrears check along with interest and penalties today and then promptly denied her again. Now we have to file yet another appeal. They are nothing but scam artists. It's time for this madness to stop. P.S. Lyme disease gets progressively worse when you have large amounts of stress. I guess that will be introduced in the lawsuit.

Resolution response: Jan. 15, 2018

The help received from the LetUsHelpU was letting me know that the appeal was in process. After many pages of information being sent to the appeals department and many weeks of waiting, the appeal was denied.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I was approved for a period of time. Then more problems occurred in my life. My condition got worse and filed for an extension. I had my psychologist send in required paperwork. I even was called by a Russell from Cigna Leave Solutions at that time. He asked me my plan for recovery, I stated that I was following my psychologist's advice (which included medication changes that were approve by my primary care doctor and more). He stated that it was not aggressive enough. I added that I was also using the employee assistance program and following her advice.

I can say that much of what others stated has been the same for me. Promised callbacks never received, multiple people handling claim, etc. My psychologist even stated that she has all the paperwork she submitted and did a peer to peer review and was told all needed information was taken. Still fighting to get appeal approved. Meanwhile they are requesting money back and have stopped paying any benefits. This all has had a negative effect on my condition. Sure seems that I have had the same issues as many other people. I believe this is their way to not pay. Overwhelm people with more and more problems til they break.

Resolution response: Nov. 15, 2017

I would like to amend this review. I found that some of the problems I was having were due to my doctor's office not responding on time with the correct information for Cigna to process my claim. I ended up working with a supervisor at Cigna and they worked with me to help get this resolved so that I was paid on time through the end of my short term disability.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Go to glassdoor.com and see what Cigna employees say about the company - it will help you understand why you should NEVER have anything to do with this company. I work for a large company and so many of us have complained that our company is changing to a different short term disability insurance company. After filing my claim, Cigna changed my case manager 3 times - each one lasted about a month. Expect to have your doctor have to resubmit your claims multiple times because Cigna loses the submissions.

When they finally process your claim they will tell you the check is on its way - but that is a lie. You can expect to call Cigna multiple times to ask why you have not received your check and each time they will promise it is on its way - expect each check to be at least a month. Also expect your account to be lost and to be assigned a new incident number, which will cause further delays in processing your claim. Just avoid this company if possible, theirs is a culture of incompetence and it starts with upper management. Thank God my company is dropping Cigna.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Let me start off by saying never get insurance with this company if you have to go on disability. Go through the state it will probably be less painful. Cigna does not believe in mental disabilities such as Bipolar or Anxiety. I was off work from May 2017- till I had to go back to work in the end of September. They paid me less than the 60% that my employer said that I would receive. My doctor submitted the paperwork at least ten times. They claimed they never received it till the end of September. They said I used up all my FMLA and I was technically on short term disability. They denied my next paperwork.

I am in the process for appeal but I will probably be denied because they don't believe in mental disabilities or learning disabilities. Apparently during the time I was off I'm not allowed to be tested for my disability. I just found out why I was rejected. My doctor said I might be able to go back to work but my meds were not even changed yet she just gave me the option. They also thought since I took showers I was able to come back to work. They also said I didn't show enough psychotic tendencies to be approved when I was showing severe depression. I am still in the final appeal process but I will probably be denied and I will probably lose my job. Thanks Cigna!???

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I've read, most not all of these reviews, and I can't believe there are so many people going through what I have and continue to go through. I guess I am only writing this as to agree with you all and our exact experience with Cigna (Ltd). I can tell you 1 and only 1 good thing that came from them and it was, they filed for my S.S.D benefits for me and I was approved, right away and they (S.S.D) had all the same records and docs reports that Cigna had, and Cigna still denied me (in all honesty I thank God for that approval).

I hired Emily ** out of Cleveland and she got me approved, she said it's a must to getting any insurance to pay & or do what they are supposed to do. I've been getting my L.t.d for 2 years now and it's been stressful. I have to witnessed their lying more than a few times stating my doctors changed their diagnosis, and I had no problem getting those very angry doctors to write a letter to that fact, they totally called them out. And now just in the past 7 months they have relentlessly continue to ask for an update of my medical records and wanting doctor's to fill out physical assessment forms, I've got 2 in Aug.

This morning I called an attorney and he said they can do that but it should lighten up after 2 year mark then they will probably offer you another buyout, oh! In June they offered me far less than half to end my benefits. This does want to make you give up and the attorney said that's what they're counting on. FYI there's a clause that says they don't have to payout L.t.d for those with a mental disability, I read that this morning. Best to all of you! And God Bless.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I became disabled in 2015 and my employer had a long term disability policy with CIGNA. As soon as the first review came up they dropped me and after months of waiting they rejected my appeal... which I found out they do to everyone, counting on people not being able to afford a lawyer and getting fatigued. Their representatives are incredibly rude and hostile. My disability has been accepted by numerous entities but CIGNA MAKES ITS MONEY BY THIEVERY! My advice is you avoid Cigna at all costs. Better to put money in a mason jar. Don't just take my word, they are rated at the bottom... Quite task for rip off insurance companies. Cigna is about making money for their shareholders not taking care of people. If you work for Cigna you have no ethics!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I have been with my company for about 4 years now and have been using Cigna insurance through my company. I'm on here about a short term disability claim (maternity leave) from 5/26/17 to 7/31/17. First the claim was only approved from the time I had my son due to my representative Kimberly ** not being efficient with her job. My doctor's office made a mistake and sent the same form 7 times and instead of her calling them or even calling me to correct the error she sent it to the nurse to approve and of course it was denied. She never followed up with me on this so I thought everything was fine going into week three of not getting a check but being off due to doctor's orders.

I called Ms Kimberly numerous of times and never got her but I talked to a lot of nice representatives throughout the process, now I had my son on 6/18/17 and called Cigna to report that and of course still no payment had been made but I finally talked to Kimberly. She was so rude to me for no reason. I asked her to transfer me to her supervisor. I really hope that the company records those calls because she basically told me that I will not be approved for the time before but only the after birth. I had to find out from her supervisor why and I made sure I got the correct paperwork sent in. My doctor sent the paperwork in numerous of times and finally a rep saw it in the system for 8/7/17 and told me to give Kimberly 3 business days to process it.

I called back on today which is 8/21/17 and spoke with another young lady and she stated she would email Kimberly and her supervisor Tracy to ensure I got a call back today and I did!! But again she was rude. Did not state who she was when she called back, just stated she was a rep from Cigna. I ask twice who was I speaking with before she told me it was her... This was my second time in three months that I talked to my actually claims rep... Oh and not to mention I have to wait another 3 business days to get an answer.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

If I could give Cigna's short term disability coverage zero stars, I would. Without going into detail as the claim is still pending, claim managers and the nursing staff at Cigna have repeatedly lied to/misled me about details regarding my claim. I was told that I sent enough medical information with my initial submission and it would be enough to review; later found out this wasn't the case. My doctor's office mailed further information that they then requested; Cigna again said this wasn't enough. The nurse has now apparently stated that there were "no diagnostic tests" included in the medical records that would support my condition. Results of these diagnostic tests that DID HAPPEN were included in the initial paperwork. I've called them several times a week for the past four weeks, and barely any progress gets made at all. Phone calls to provide updates that were promised go unreturned.

I sent my initial claim paperwork four weeks ago, and when you do so, they say that a decision will be made in "3 business days." What they mean is that once the medical staff has every answer to every possible minuscule question they have, they can make a decision in 3 business days. And according to the other reviews, they could hold you in limbo for months with this back and forth until that happens. And you'll probably get denied.

My doctor himself is sick of dealing with the constant requests from Cigna and has said he's going to try to speak with them himself to get them off my back. I've been out of work for a while now. I have no more money, I have bills to pay, food to buy, and the stress is making it all worse physically and emotionally. I'm about to go back to work because I'm feeling better, but I don't know what I'd do if I weren't feeling better. I don't think I can deal with these Cigna folks for another minute.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I have Cigna Disability Insurance thru my employer. I have been off work for 2 months, filed 2 months ago for STD. They have not paid me a dime. They always claim that my doctors have not sent information, it's under review. Since I went on Medical Leave for low back pain with severe leg pain, my doctors found what could have led to the back issue - I have a collapsed femoral head on my right hip - causing severe pain - and now having severe pain doing anything, and have trouble even putting on my socks! My orthopedic surgeon has recommended a total hip replacement - otherwise, remain in pain, unable to continue daily life normally, stay in pain and eventually wind up in a wheelchair.

Since I have no income, I have raided my savings - soon that will run out. I will be returning to work - against medical advice - and now will not have the hip surgery due to Cigna not paying me anything. I have told Cigna that any further damage or injury at work or related to traveling 40 min to and from work, will be on them. I have reached out to an attorney at this point. There needs to be a class action lawsuit against Cigna - maybe if they have to pay another 73 million in damages, that might cause them to rethink business practices.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Obtained many reasons in the delay of LTD. The employer is NOT responsive. I will call you back as soon as I hear from them. One month I call Cigna. Same answer awaiting employers response to last day worked. Two months later I get a letter that I retrieved a month ago regarding needing an employer's response. Finally, I get a call after two months and nine days that the medical reports do not indicate disability. When I asked had the employer responded I am informed yes.

NEVER, got a call about the employer responded. Every doctor I have has completed notation that I cannot work and my condition is severe. "No medical support." They prolonged denying me by indicating I am under review. Sent all medical reports. What a waste time and money. The case managers are the worse ever. The others who answer the phone are more helpful than the case managers. The case managers are nonchalant. I had to call them for information. I left so many messages it is disturbing and got little to no callbacks.

When I did finally get someone (case manager) she let me know she will call me when she gets an update. Ignorant way of saying I am calling too much and give me a break. I was informed I can appeal. Why, to be treated bad and to be disregarded as a human being? If it took two months to be denied how many years would it take for an appeal. My experience has been horrible with the case managers. The case managers are playing the role of God with folk's lives. Two MONTHS to DENY over concrete medical records.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I have multiple autoimmune disorders, I have been out of work for 4 weeks, filed my claim 3 weeks ago, was told I'd receive papers in the mail after 5 business days, nothing. I called after 2weeks to check on the status, was made to feel I was an inconvenience and wasting Cigna's time. I had to repeat everything a 2nd time to another rep, was told my claim hadn't been seen or reviewed by my claims rep and they weren't in the office, and they'd just received this 2weeks ago. Nor had anything been sent to my Dr's office, who has been waiting for these papers. I've tried calling again, it still says under review, and now says your claims person is in the office, but unavailable to take my call. I left a message, no return phone call.

Original review: July 29, 2017

So being 5 months pregnant and going to the ob-gyn with numerous migraines, she decides to send me to the neurologist. So I go there. He wants to put me on medicine that I obviously couldn't take and my ob-gyn wouldn't approve (he asked her before a prescription was written). After a CT scan, the only conclusion was my pregnancy was causing migraines. So... The neurologist suggested to the ob-gyn that I should be taken out (at this point I'm 6.5 months along). I'm taken out of work and the crap with Cigna begins.

I filed for short term disability in which I paid for years. I did all the paperwork and sent the paperwork to my doctors. My ob-gyn was the main doctor whom took me out of work. So, I had her sign papers left and right. Redo her notes because "They were incomplete." "Not enough info." So by the time I talked to someone other than through email I was going on to be 8 months pregnant. With the loss of income, a new baby on the way and losing my job pretty much was ruining our lives. The lady handling my case was trying to blame it on workman comp because I said I was stressed out... Wouldn't you be?

Cigna kept sending us bills to pay the insurance so we could keep it while I was on FMLA. So, we paid it. It included std. Well they denied me completely. They could care less about you. Me. The baby. My other son. My family. 3 weeks before I had the baby I had to file for Medicaid. They decided to cancel insurance on me. Along with no payment. They need more than an investigation. They need to be shut down. It should be illegal what they're doing to people.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I went three months covered with Cigna under STD. My specific case is auto-immune and it took quite some time to find the diagnosis. While under physician's care I got the flu (despite having the flu shot) and missed an appointment with my doctor. Cigna then dropped me and the first notification I received of this was from my employer. I spoke to my claim representative immediately after I spoke with my employer (who explained the consequences of not getting this resolved would result in my termination) and my claims representative accused me of harassment when I asked for an answer.

Here's where it gets fun - my employer no longer employs Cigna so why would this con-artist scam-running JV insurance company care about my claim? Short answer; they don't and they didn't and they have greatly affected my life by pure laziness and lack of any sort of humanity. STAY AWAY. This company is fueled by profit and run by heartless criminals. Have you seen the Christmas movie, "Scrooge"? You'll meet the unchanged Scrooge the second your claim hits a desk at Cigna. They're evil and incompetent and should never ever be allowed to determine the outcome of someone's life. Shame on you Cigna. Shame.

Original review: July 28, 2017

Denial of LTD benefits following first 24 months; Cancer Patient. January 2011; (43 y.o. single mother of 2, Medical Professional) The lump I found on my breast biopsied and diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. Jan. 20th wide edge lumpectomy with sentinel node biopsy. Days following surgery I started jumping through the never ending hoops Cigna places so that you never have a day to take a breath and wrap arms around your Cancer Diagnosis. Delay in payments more documentation from treating: PCP, Surgeon, Oncologist, Radiation Oncologist, Neurologist, Palliative Medicine Doctor. Then they state didn't receive from doctors and or "no date to return". Doctors offices send 2, 3, 4, more times with same response. Hell doesn't matter fighting for your life, brain not functioning from chemo and radiation.

Then you are made to feel you are READY TO WORK. OK, I went back. Only to face following diagnosis that would require total hysterectomy due to ER/PR status of Tumor. To get the surgery I must have insurance, to have insurance and provisions under FMLA... I had to postpone surgery for 7 months! May 2012 Total Radical Hysterectomy. Surgery completed, discharge from hospital 7 days later. Once again start never ending HOOP jumping to secure STD so that I can feed kids and pay for Health insurance. Cigna continues to require documentation from doctors over and over again. Start taking Chemo by mouth. Day in and out worrying what next and when weekly check to arrive. Call Cigna they state check sent, They are in Pittsburgh. I am in Cleveland, was check sent via CHINA?

Radiation kicked my butt, estrogen blocker begins to cause joint pain, MORE fatigue and cognitive/memory issues. Cigna case worker not worried or concerned that I too care for patients and am having great difficulty performing my duties and responsibilities. Wondering how I am going to manage when every time I do a foot check on a patient I can't get back up! Regardless of the fact that I can no longer sleep in bed due to pain from partial mastectomy and radiation which I thought was causing me to fall asleep when I sat down or stopped at a Red Traffic Light!!!

GO BACK TO WORK... What else could I do: seemed no one cared that I was having problems functioning, EXCEPT FOR MY PATIENTS WHO SAW THE RAPID DECLINE IN MY HEALTH. Went back to work, Sept. 2012. I had approximately 10-13 doctor appointments a month. New diagnosis, Autonomic Failure, Syncope with SVT's, Narcolepsy, Hypotension, Multiple distributions of Micro-vascular Ischemic areas on my brain. Not to worry though, still pushing and trying to be the best I could be. AND THEN, collapse at work, June 26th 2013. My heart said NO MORE, the doctors said NO MORE, and my children and friends continued to watch my health decline. Cigna, oh Cigna, more hoops and then they provided me with Advantage 2000 to get Social Security right before I was to change to LTD.

December 2013, LTD paid by Cigna. It took all I had to keep up with their demands and for myself and my doctors to keep calm every time told that Cigna did not receive needed documentation. My Social Security was approved 3 months after application. That's when Cigna wrote to tell me they over paid and now I had to pay them because I received my Social Security ( even though their Attorneys from Advantage 2000 took $7,500 of my back Social Security payment). June 2014, Heart not wanting to function properly, many hospitalizations since began LTD. Now having to have medical device placed in chest, Not To Worry... Have phone in hospital when receive call from Cigna telling me they are reviewing my case and I did not call regarding letter they sent week before!

I tell case manager that I was in hospital, response from case manager "You need to prove that!" So I did. My doctors at the Cleveland Clinic in disbelief on the lack of Case Management by Cigna and their total lack of accepting medical documentation and the fact that no doctor has a crystal ball and would be willing to give definitive date of potential to return back to work. Nor do they accept a trained medical professional who has consistently treated the patient with Cigna insurance, when they state they can no longer work permanently!

Not over yet. July 28th 2014, the lump I felt in my breast AGAIN, Not my IMAGINATION! Biopsy August 4th, Once Again Breast Cancer following radiation and Aromatase Inhibitors! OH WAIT TIME TO REVIEW MY CASE!!! September 20th 2014. Double Modified Mastectomy. October 2014, revision of surgical line left chest wall. November 2014, ulceration of expander left side need to take addition IV Antibiotics. January 1st 2015 Emergency Surgery to remove contaminated left breast expander. The whole time I was going through these procedures and recovery I had to worry about CIGNA approving my on going LTD.

April 2015 re-constructor of left chest wall and right breast with DIEP surgery. My case manager from CIGNA Heather, was only part-time and I could never get hold of her. Left message after message and talked to others on her team regarding late checks and inability to get needed cancer medications. Released from Hospital 13 days later only to return 40 hours later with surgical infection requiring debridement and a Jugular Line for IV antibiotics for 3 months. Shortly following removal of 6 drains and jugular line I received letter from Cigna stating that my LTD benefits would end November 15th 2015.

I opened that letter while waiting for 7th doctor appointment, it was the 6th of November. I broke down in the waiting room, the stress and emotional response triggered my Autonomic Failure, I awoke in the ER of the Hospital. I was unable to reach Heather at Cigna because she only worked 3 days a week until 2:30. No one else could provide information and they would give her a message. My message was not well thought, I had problems talking through the tears and frustration. Since I was no longer able to drive, be alone in home or shower without supervision; my ability to organize all they requested was lacking too. I began emailing all records I could download from MYCHART at the Cleveland Clinic, I called my increasing long list of regular medical specialist I saw on a more than regular basis.

Many provided documentation, however Cigna used only the Severe Depression and Anxiety reported by Psychologist and Cancer Center Psychiatrists that I saw following every appointment to the cancer center 4 times a month. At the time I did not realize they, CIGNA, did this so they could refuse to continue to paying LTD 12 months later! January 3rd 2017. CIGNA sends denial letter of future LTD Benefits. Forgot to mention ECN set up two IME appointments months earlier. The doctor to evaluate FCN capacity had no expertise in anything. We talked about how he and his nurse wife have to care for 93 year old father. That guy listened to breathing sounds and heart. THAT WAS IT. Yet he reported that he did full ROS including bilateral strength, reflexes and such. TOO BAD I WAS IN A CAST RELATED TO OSTEOPOROSIS and total joint destruction of my right ankle.

He reported that he tested bilateral deep tendon reflexes in lower legs, Achilles tendons were good and I could stoop, crawl and dance! JK... No dancing. He also stated that I could not drive or balance. That was it, never mind a diagnosis list over a page long and medications out the ying-yang. Oh sure a nurse on heavy pain medication who can drop any moment is just what is needed in a doctors office, hospital or as stated TRIAGE CALLING! Since the denial I have been diagnosed with Autoimmune Disorders including Sogrens disorder and Rheumatoid arthritis and Osteoporosis, to which the bisphosphonates used to treat. I cannot take due to increased chance of secondary cancers. Secondary Cancers that already have high risk of developing because of 3 prior diagnoses, 2 rounds of chemo and radiation and hormone therapy!

I have been diagnosed with further late effects of chemo and radiation, have not been able to complete reconstruction because of auto immune disorders and am looking at further biopsies due to suspicious lesion on spine. Not to mention stenosis of spine with bone spurs, loss of height and bulging discs. I go nowhere except to therapy and doctor appointments. Due to CIGNA stating that I could do something (an MEDIUM OCCUPATION to boot) I have not been able to go to all appointments or obtain needed medications even though I am on medicare and medicaid. The co-pay on 22 medications is more than I have. Medical evidence with the aid of MRI's, CT's, Bone Scans, Surgical and pathology reports, letters from gynecology oncologist, cardiology biometrics, cardiology vascular and cardiology oncology are pushed aside by a quack that CIGNA hires and pays to say that I can now work?

Even their paid IME report by their own neuropsychologist stated due to fatigue and loss of executive functions, driving ability and memory I would be unable to perform any occupation. However, Cigna decided that the doctor they chose who examined me, was wrong too and then wanted me to see another neuro psych that they probably paid for the right answers before. But due to eye surgery for Glaucoma I could not attend the third IME they wanted so they said I did not cooperate! Like every other person who wrote a review, I had to obtain an attorney. However, I have read case law and found for someone with years to go before 65 years of age, this could be the first of many fights to obtain the long term disability payments from CIGNA.

I don't understand how Cigna can have so many lawsuits related to improper denial of disability benefits OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Why can they push us to collect SSDI from government when we paid to bet against ourselves for a "false protection" for our families should something terrible happen to us that made it impossible to work? Not a wonder why the Social Security Disability System is going to go belly up. The Rich get richer and the poor get DEAD. This is abuse of the social security agency by BIG INSURANCE. I lost count on the number of justified complaints and law suits. Where are the class action lawyers, for it seems that this is one company that justifies the fines and lawsuits by the rest of us suckers who believe that if we could not work we would be protected by our long term disability policy with CIGNA.

President Trump and the social security admin along with the states need to take a look at the deceptive policies of big insurance companies and investigate the abuse the insurance providers are handing out to hard working Americans. We need to stand up and speak out together!!! Cigna needs to pay for the abuse, stress and financial destruction it has caused those who bought into their bogus insurance policies and fleecing of the social security system. See you in court soon, Cigna, with all my pink sisters watching on! Can't scare a dead woman walking!

Original review: June 27, 2017

Just as everyone says, Cigna is absolutely crooked and they should be put under a federal investigation. They lie, never return calls, require you see one of their doctors (the one they sent me to does not even have a license to practice in my state and not only did he not evaluate me he lie and documented he did and said I did not qualify... Hello, hospitalized 6 times since Christmas! He threw his form and pencil against the wall above my head!). Reported to Cigna. Dirty Dirty. Anyone know a Leon ** there??? BAD PEOPLE. WHY ISN'T ANYONE DOING ANYTHING? WHO REGULATES THESE PEOPLE??!

Original review: June 26, 2017

I have been failed miserably by Cigna, while I am going through the most difficult time as it relates to my health. Not because I didn't have the wherewithal to put in place and pay for what they call "Peace of Mind" additional coverages, all because Cigna totally dropped the ball as they promised using fine print, and loopholes to pay for services due. I pay as a single woman $685/monthly premium and elected into all of these so called wonderful safety nets so that in case of a severe medical illness the last thing I would have to be concerned with is getting better. All lies, they have so many hoops they require you to jump through to prove eligibility and once you have done all of their leg work and prove your case, they begin to reach for straws that are so farfetched and unsubstantiated to still find a reason on not paying out on a claim.

My employer has been a dream to work with and they have lived up to their promises and I was covered under short term and although I went through hoops, lost my place of residence in the process of waiting a month for a check, all Cigna would do was offer the same redundant response, "We are so sorry for your loss and what you have to go through, rest assured you are not the only one who goes through this". Really? That is the explanation I received for losing my home, and if that wasn't bad enough my condition worsened, I was diagnosed with some pretty catastrophic disease processes and so instead of going back to work in the time frame I had intended my physicians collectively agreed I needed more time, the streets Cigna alone was causing me was actually exacerbating my symptoms, more seizures, more hospitalizations.

As it was time for me to transition from Short Term Disability to Long Term Disability, I knew for sure after all the hell and hoops I had to go through for a plan my job covered I surely wouldn't have to go through the same, right? Wrong, I had to jump through more hoops, go through more paperwork, submit more things and the kicker is, I paid additional for this protection. All to be denied for that one straw they searched diligently for. A pre-existing condition for seizures all because I was on a medication to treat nerve pain 3 years prior to me having a seizure but this medicine can also be treated for seizures.

The kicker is Cigna provided me a time period they were looking at to determine a pre-existing condition and my 1st seizure did not occur until 3 years and 3 months after this time period. It is still used to deny payment because I guess I should have known I was going to be diagnosed with and have a seizure in the future. What is even more egregious is that all the paperwork substantiated nerve pain, all doctor notes, hospital records indicate this but Cigna will not have a problem taking your money each month in a premium yet will deny what is due to you because of a fictional pre-existing condition.

Thanks to Cigna, and their dishonest practices and deceptive coverages by weeks end I am at risk of losing my car, and my storage, remember already lost my residence. I have no funds for food, medication co-pays and yet they wish me the best in my recovery. I promise you I will spend every waking moment of everyday to inform the public that these coverages we pay into really aren't designed to pay out when you need it the most. Cigna, has yet to the right thing and as Open enrollment is right around the corner it is my mission to inform to protect, promote, improve the health of the people insured by insurance companies such as Cigna who offer all of these wonderful additional coverages that are designed to deny what appears at least 90% of their customers.

Cigna should be ashamed and I will not be ashamed right along with them by keeping my mouth posed, or these fingers from typing I will ask that every group I post in will share million times over so those out there like me, hard working, committed to doing the right thing doesn't get swindled by the multi-million dollar companies taking advantage of someone especially in their most vulnerable and dire time of illness. Waiting on reimbursement from a plan you paid into for protection for absurd, far fetched reasons is just unacceptable, and will no longer be swept under the rug. I will expose as much as I can before others make the same mistake as I did in paying for a coverage not designed to cover me.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I paid up to receive 70% of my check in case I needed STD. I have a serious injury affecting cognitive function requiring relaxing and peace to heal. Off 11 weeks. Got paid for 4. Doctor and I always sent what was asked for. Called so often with no help. Doctor submitted all notes. Always get the "under review" saying "not enough notes". He even wrote more for Cigna because they said they didn't get what they needed. I had to pay with money I didn't have for that note a few times. He's a neuro doc. Smart man. I spent ENTIRE TIME STRESSING because of NO money to pay bills for 2 months. They know they can't get sued because have to deny you first. They hold you in limbo, either force you to LTD or back to work.

Original review: June 21, 2017

These people working here must have an IQ of 0, your people are so stupid, this is not the first time I've dealt with them! My company has had to use their corporate lawyers to argue with Cigna! They cancel the FMLA/STD when they feel like it, they've lied many many times about things the doctor said. I've had to call the doctor and the doctor has called them out on it. Do you hire passersby on the street to do the job there?? I called and actually had your rep tell me it was not a debate why I'm asking why they canceled my FMLA!! This is not a debate??? Are you ** me ?? I pay to have std and my company pays Cigna as well. Who the hell are you to decide and think you can top what the doctor says? Stupid dumb **.

They canceled last time because doctor didn't cross her T's. ** seriously... I can't stand Cigna and furthermore I hope they fall off the face of the earth. No wonder Anthem don't want your dumb **!! Cigna is a ** class trash company!! I have the names of your people I've talked to and if your company don't start to get their ** I will absolutely contact the media, every newspaper and every review website I can!!! Us working class are going to fight back! Even if I have to start a petition!!

Cigna Disability Insurance Company Information