Cigna Disability Insurance

Cigna Disability Insurance

3.9/5 (344 ratings)

About Cigna Disability Insurance

Cigna Disability Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna Disability Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I would select zero stars if it were an option. I would not recommend Cigna/New York Life LTD insurance for anyone. I was approved for a period of time, paid back thousands of dollars after being awarded Social Security Disability and State Retirement Disability, but this company claims these two factors mean nothing to them. They refuse to continue payments even though I just became eligible for Medicare after waiting the two year requirement from Social Security Disability. This company is fraudulent and should be put out of business.

Original review: April 24, 2021

I am very frustrated and severely disappointed with Cigna. I was in a car accident in 2020, which left me unable to work- also I have chronic illnesses. They requests records already submitted, no call backs. Horrible to treat people this way. I am totally disabled. No income.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

I experienced a myocardial infarction and acute systolic congestive heart failure after an emergency cesarean. I was on maternity leave and my doctor extended my leave as I am having issues with breathing and passing out due to blood pressure issues, heart rate issues and iron levels. My doctor has ordered additional echocardiograms and submitted all the necessary paperwork. I was denied my echocardiogram and told I should have a treadmill stress test first. Then my leave manager asked for additional clinical notes. They were submitted 3 TIMES!!! Cigna stated they never got them, so I uploaded them myself after they were faxed to me. They then asked for additional questions to be answered. These questions were already answered on the prior set of paperwork they got last week!!

Now they refuse to resend the questionnaire because they have “exhausted all attempts” which is complete crap! The last rep I talked to was extremely rude! Why even have this benefit if they refuse to approve them? I can’t hold a sentence, let alone a conversation, without being unable to breathe and pass out, yet I’m supposed to be able to go back to work where I answer phones for 8-9 hours straight!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I am very confused as to why we are being told my short term disability is running into long term disability with a partial nephrectomy and kidney transplant. STD started Sept 10, 2020 (I get 26 weeks which would be March 2021) - everything with pay flowed smoothly with no delays until Dec 31st 2020. Everything stopped. We were told documentation including medical notes from doctors were needed and we provided this info on January 8th and 11th to Cigna. Then we're told that long term had to be approved before short term could be approved.

I am so confused as I DO NOT plan to be out long term and as of Dec 31st my expected return to work date is February 4th - so please explain why I have not been paid in 4 weeks under short term and now being told that long term must be approved to get short term back pay. Kidney removal/organ transplant recovery isn't a walk in the park. Surgeons and medical team advised me I would be out of work a minimum of 3 months after transplant. Just want to get back pay of last 4 weeks and then Cigna can work on long term if they choose to do so. Stoney **

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I got injured few weeks ago and ended having an Achilles Tendon Repair surgery. Anyone who even does the slightest research knows the pain and that these type of injuries go for months and months of bed rest and eventually you can start learning to walk etc. My job requires walking 8-10 hours a day and sometimes even power walking and rushing never sitting down. I placed a short term disability through these people and forward them my surgeon's notes and release paper. My surgeon says I need a sitting position and I need to be transported to and from due to injury to my right foot and cannot even drive. Cigna approves me for one check and my expected to return to work date was 12-29-2020.

How is that possible. I called them multiple times. Everyone seems to have an attitude like if they are the ones that pay you out of their personal pockets. Last time I called was today and when I asked them if they receive the paperwork they requested from the surgeon now they want to add that they want the primary doctors paperwork. What I don’t understand. For what? All my primary did was tell me that I needed an MRI and then recommended me to a specialist. I’ve yet to see him since surgery I been in bed all this time and now basically I won’t receive anything else from Cigna until they evaluate whatever the primary doctor sends???? How does that make sense.

They look for ways to halt your pay, the primary has nothing to do with anything first of all and you have the SURGEONS PAPERWORK stating expected return date, stating the details of my Injury. My case manager name is Cici and to me. They just want to not pay anyone. I will never recommend these peoples to anyone looking for any type of insurance or add ons. I’ve had co-workers with similar issues and also stating that they give attitude when you call. I wish I could had gotten colonial through my job, they always help and Colonial had no issues paying anyone. Cigna to me is just trying to take your money and when it’s time that you need it they just find any reason possible to deny you. I would not recommend to anyone, all they’ve done is cause more stress and depression through an already difficult situation that I’m facing. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY WITH CIGNA.

Cigna Disability Insurance response

Hello Erick, I am truly sorry for the frustration regarding your disability claim. Please email me at LetUsHelpU@Cigna.com. I would be delighted to help. Thanks-DN

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

I have Cigna through my job. And I had a c-section 6 weeks ago and I am dealing with depression and postpartum. Which my Obgyn referred me to a maternity physiatrist. Which I can't get in until November 12th and they sent all this to Cigna and contacted my case manager Sharon and sent her my records to extend my claim and she basically called me saying she has to close it until I see the physiatrist. I am waiting for her supervisor Jennifer to call me back. So basically they want me to go without for two weeks until I see the next doctor and I am not mentally wise not able to return back to work right now. So Cigna is putting me through more stress anxiety and depression. I do not recommend nor would I trust this company.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

Worse company I've had to deal with. Claim#**. Left hip replacement. First, Lady who originally took information did not insert into computer. Second, had to call in multiple times to get a hold of case manager and threatened to contact supervisor if she did not return call. Third, approval 2 weeks because she said she didn't have all paperwork from doctor. Had doctor re fax. Fourth, nothing for weeks. Fifth, again no call back from Catherine case manager. Sixth, called. Sat on hold for 1hour 18min and 2sec. Talked to another associate that looked at my information and said they hot everything and it wS in reviews, I asked for them to email Catherine and have her call me.

Seventh, nothing...Had to threatened again before she called me back. Eighth, said that my account was close because my hotel was sold and not covered and I owed them the money that was paid for two weeks. I said my hotel not sold to contact my HR. She said it's close and hung up. Ninth, called supervisor 10/15/20. Said she would email my HR and get back to me. Tenth, 10/26/20 not a call back. An associate left message with supervisor Jennifer to call me back, that was 3 hours ago. Been without income since operated on July 20th 2020. Ridiculous! Karma and hope follows these people who have worked on my case and have not seemed to care. Worse company ever!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

My wife was in a car crash in September 2019. She got on disability insurance with through her company with Cigna. COVID hit and Cigna immediately reviewed her file and found no evidence of issue. Three doctors have now (September 2020) refused to let her go back to work and so we appealed the issue. Cigna sent back a letter that their "expert" doctor found no issue with her returning back to work based entirely off one MRI in her file. Cigna literally had the audacity to imply that three other doctors were idiots and that my wife was lying just to avoid paying. Avoid this company like the plague. She has been left with no money, no insurance, and no way forward. They are textbook evil.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

My wife is in the hospital with a brain injury and they refuse to pay our claim. Her doctor said they are impossible to work with. Every time I call them I get put on hold forever and when they do answer you get the runaround. The claims representative refuses to return our calls.

Original review: July 10, 2020

After being initially being assigned to a claim manager who no longer worked for the organization, Aaron took over and got me approved within 24 hrs. Great job, initially. However, when it came time to extend, service was slow, causing appointments to be rescheduled. Now the claim is transition to long term, they are withholding the last of the STD payments until the long term term is approved. Meanwhile, I suffer in pain needlessly and have to further delay treatment due to lack of funds. I feel totally let down and at the mercy the claim manager who doesn’t return calls.

Cigna Disability Insurance Company Information