Cigna Disability Insurance

Cigna Disability Insurance

3.8/5 (56 ratings)

About Cigna Disability Insurance

Cigna Disability Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna Disability Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

My wife was in a car crash in September 2019. She got on disability insurance with through her company with Cigna. COVID hit and Cigna immediately reviewed her file and found no evidence of issue. Three doctors have now (September 2020) refused to let her go back to work and so we appealed the issue. Cigna sent back a letter that their "expert" doctor found no issue with her returning back to work based entirely off one MRI in her file. Cigna literally had the audacity to imply that three other doctors were idiots and that my wife was lying just to avoid paying. Avoid this company like the plague. She has been left with no money, no insurance, and no way forward. They are textbook evil.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

My wife is in the hospital with a brain injury and they refuse to pay our claim. Her doctor said they are impossible to work with. Every time I call them I get put on hold forever and when they do answer you get the runaround. The claims representative refuses to return our calls.

Original review: July 10, 2020

After being initially being assigned to a claim manager who no longer worked for the organization, Aaron took over and got me approved within 24 hrs. Great job, initially. However, when it came time to extend, service was slow, causing appointments to be rescheduled. Now the claim is transition to long term, they are withholding the last of the STD payments until the long term term is approved. Meanwhile, I suffer in pain needlessly and have to further delay treatment due to lack of funds. I feel totally let down and at the mercy the claim manager who doesn’t return calls.

Original review: June 30, 2020

Updated on 08/30/2020: It is unfortunate but Cigna truly is a criminal enterprise which is leeching from communities it boasts to support so all their revenue/profits are a false indicator of company performance as in reality Cigna is engaging in unethical and illegal practices. I have been on disability for 13 months and still have not been paid ANY long term disability (LTD) payment even after providing Cigna with over ~700 pages of documents/letters from two unrelated MDs, a therapist, and my IOP programs. The claim denial is almost criminally systemic. My doctors have stated in letters Cigna is not willing to accept any evidence from them.

Cigna made several claims which were illogical, inaccurate, illegal which violate my LTD policy. Cigna has in past accessed health records without my authorization which was not required per my LTD policy (ie. pre-existing period). Cigna agents will not return calls or emails then blatantly lie they never received faxes. Cigna misinterprets doctor notes to systematically deny your benefits. They give the illusion of conducting impartial reviews but it is far from reality. Cigna gives unrealistic deadlines that by the time you get a doctors appointment it is already late. I have wasted at least 10-12 one hour doctor appointments writing to Cigna. They pay no attention to what is written instead keep denying with the same reason as original denial. The agents know exactly what is required upfront but they intentionally make one request per denial to drag matters into months.

I am filing a second BBB complaint - after the first complaint they had me speak to an advocacy team which is a front as even now I have not received any LTD payments. I have no choice but to get an attorney per my physicians. Cigna employees including executives knowingly made my disability worse than to start with.

My MD stated "At this point, what I can offer regarding this question has been addressed thoroughly by me in writing. This ongoing process has long since begun to unduly impact his mental health and my ability to provide treatment. As question after question is asked and adequately answered, Cigna has iteratively presented hurdle after hurdle. The ongoing financial strain and his experience of bureaucratic bullying have impacted mental health and his ability to meaningfully participate in treatment. He has shared with me his perspective that he is being treated differently because his disability is psychiatric in nature. It has become difficult to disagree and to avoid the interpretation that no answer supporting the claim will satisfy Cigna. I cannot in good conscience continue to participate in this exchange, and I have recommended that, for his well-being, either abandon this claim or defer to an attorney to continue its pursuit."

Original: I thought how bad can they be but Cigna excels when it comes to being inaccurate, unethical, and illogical. I went out on STD for 3 months and now been out for 8 months for LTD claim but Cigna still keeps insisting my claim is not valid and has now denied my appeal. It took me a while to realize no matter what document I provide their answer will be the same. They just need reasons to poke holes. I plan to file a lawsuit as my doctors and attorney have all said Cigna is just being difficult. So many issues I don't even know where to begin:

* Cigna agents will lie claiming they never received fax when I literally saw it go through.

* Cigna will intentionally take months hoping you would give up or go back to work.

* Cigna takes at least an entire month before responding to your letter.

* Cigna intentionally misinterprets your your doctors notes or try to use notes that are not even part of the pre-existing period. I suggest reviewing all notes before having your doctor send notes and tell your doctor to limit notes only for duration required.

* Cigna gives you unrealistic response timelines that by the time you get an appointment to see your doctor you are likely beyond their limit. Not only that they will keep you going back to your doctor for letters. In my case I spent at least 5x 1 hour long visits just writing letters.

* Cigna does not pay attention to what you write in your appeal as they keep denying you for the same reason they did in previous assessments.

* Cigna will make you go back to doctors repeatedly and they do all this in months which they knew from the beginning but they will drag it month after month trying to nitpick technicalities. For me I have OCD but they claimed I reported anxiety so I am disqualified but which mental health condition does not have anxiety? I got this clarified from my psychiatrist but then they claimed it said somewhere I had OCD spectrum disorder. I got 3 letters from this doctor and now it clearly and explicitly states I did not have OCD nor OCD spectrum disorder. I had two of my treating providers explicitly write a letter clarifying any misunderstanding or misinterpretations.

* Cigna representatives do not answer or return calls. Nor do they respond if you write emails.

Let's say you get through all the hurdles and have all your physicians EXPLICITLY write you did not have the disabling condition they still send you letter with points which are not only inaccurate but also illogical. My physicians have written enough letters already. I went back and forth with Cigna every few weeks for 10 months and now I finally have my doctors write page long letters in writing explicitly saying my condition was non-existent during the pre-existing time period.

Once I provided everything in writing they are starting to talk about period before my pre-existing period. In addition they are claiming the statements from my doctor are only opinions. There are so many inaccuracies and grammatical errors in the correspondences they have sent me and most of it is illogical EVEN IF what they are saying was true. They are now claiming that I had OCD prior to my pre-existing period so therefore I had it during the pre-existing period. My doctors are frustrated right now. I am planning to reach out to media outlets and hire an attorney as no matter what I send to Cigna they make useless excuses. I hope no one has to go through the suffering I did and hope justice gets served in court.

Original review: June 29, 2020

Took three months of doctors and back and forth with them to get a monthly payment. Took three months so get my SSDI. Once I paid them back they dropped me and said I am able to work. Now if they would pay me it would only be $153.00 a month. Now they want me to go and see doctors again and make more bills for me. I am partially blind also have a fractured back arthritis through my back and all have a problem with depth conception and I also unable to use a computer due to my blindness. I lost my eyesight due to a viral meningitis. Now they say I am able to work. The pain I have every day. And I am 62 years old. Unable to drive at night and when it rains. So go figure their policies.

Original review: June 18, 2020

This is by far the most frustrating and complicated insurance company to navigate. My employer supplied short term disability insurance through Cigna. By default, my employer pays for all employees to receive 40% of their base pay for up to 6 weeks. In November during open enrollment, I elected to have additional pay deducted to raise my coverage to 60% for 6 weeks due to pregnancy. I spent months before delivering my child trying to navigate the FMLA and short term disability waters to make this process as easy as possible. However, it is more likely that you will speak to someone who has NO idea what they are talking about and it is more likely that you will receive false information. When you ask to speak with a supervisor, you are sent to a voicemail and you never receive a call back.

Additionally, I only received 4 weeks of pay from them after being told that there is a two week waiting period that is uncompensated. Today I received a letter stating that they had overpaid as a result of incorrect benefit calculations. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! If anything, I was underpaid and I am still on maternity leave. Please do yourself a favor and find insurance with another company. Cigna is the worst, by far.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Cigna has its own standards for Mental illness. They treat mental illness differently than a real physical disability. That's what they told me. They have different, higher standards. I was diagnosed with Bipolar 1, borderline and so on in my late 50s and became disabled. I loved my job. I gave me a purpose and reason to get out of bed every day. As I started treatment, Cigna was my disability insurer. At a certain point they provided an outside company to apply for and advocate for me with social security SSDI. Social security approved the benefits immediately. Cigna then subtracted what social security paid me and paid me the difference, and they also carried on my life insurance.

Throughout this process every couple of months Cigna would launch an investigation as to whether I was still disabled. (Social security was satisfied though.) They would require documentation from my physicians and therapists. Each time forms needed to be filled out. Their high demands on my practitioners has been problematic and it’s becoming more difficult to obtain. It felt like harassment to me. I went through anxiety and stress each time. They made it clear it was my responsibility to ensure my doctors responded in a timely manner or the claim would be decided without their input.

Social security did approve my disability but Cigna states they have different standards for the qualifications of disability. Cigna + Mental illness = no disability. They blame everything on my prior employer's policy. I had scrutinized the policy when I left however since then Cigna bought my company, they are blowing smoke. They told me mental illness isn’t like a regular illness and LTD claims are often stopped after a certain amount of time. They think I should be able to do some type of work. They don’t care what kind of work that is or if my therapist agree; they don’t.

They disregard everything I have been struggling through. They’re throwing Mental illness back into the closet. I struggle financially. I lost my identity with losing my job. Now they suggest my mental illness isn’t all that bad. Mostly I struggle with dealing with being Bipolar I. The mood swings continue to cycle several times a month. I deal with my own bias of being embarrassed and ashamed. Cigna has reinforced that by treating my condition differently than a physical disability.

They said they haven’t heard from the therapist with the questions they had and she told me she had tried to call repeatedly then finally gave them her number at call at home as she was seeing patients online or on the phone with covid 19. They finally reached her and said they really didn’t need anything else. But their paperwork says there was no response from my therapist. It was easier to ignore her attempts to respond than to collect that information because they knew they were going to deny it anyway.

Are they pushing my practitioners to the point that they stop getting answers and cancel my coverage? Because that’s exactly what they did. First they cancelled my life insurance coverage and now are reviewing the rest of my claim. They’ll cancel that for the same reason. Cigna is treating mental illness like it’s not a real disability. They disregard that I continue to have my medications adjusted because I still cannot function independently.

Original review: June 4, 2020

This is a horrible insurance company.. ever. I paid for short term disability. Unable to return to work. I Applied for Cigna short-term disability I had paid for though my company. When I applied Case Mgr kept stating where I went to doctor Emergency room visit that I was not 80% disabled according to my job policy to get short term. This was July 2019 and it's now 6/5/20 20 and I still can't get paid for July through Nov. of 2019. I have worked 40 + years age 62 but their Case Mgr stated they weren't saying my condition didn't exist but I am not sick enough to get short term disability according to my company policy in order to get paid.

My next step with no income coming in while waiting to get approved for social security benefits will be to report my situation to the insurance commission to file a complaint. No one should have to go through this. They use same tactics as social security when you file and get rejected by them when applying for your benefits. Never once have I got a policy explaining my benefits. Please don't use dont use Cigna ins. A complete rip off. My money has been taken from pay check and I can even get the benefit from it.

Original review: June 3, 2020

My employer offers short term disability for which I have applied and been approved for before for the same condition I'm applying for this time. I have several chronic conditions so will not always show on labs etc. My first claims advisor advised me that if I had something like a broken arm it would be easier to prove. Then I was advised the details listed on the form filled out by my dr wasn't descriptive enough to say I was unable to work. Or my heart rate being over 120bpm just sitting isn't serious enough because it comes along with my condition. My Dr's Physicians Assistant went as far as to speak to a claims nurse to advise why I was unable to work but the information listed on my decline letter from their conversation was completely misconstrued.

This most recent appeal my dr refilled out the original short term form and I also forwarded a copy of spinal tap results showing neuroinflammation, however they decline letter stated that these documents were not considered relevant to my appeal so was denied. So at this point my dr has provided me the contact information for an attorney because he has never experienced this problem before with someone with my medical issues being approved for short term disability, especially when this same company approved it previously and for a longer period of time. So outside of being very sick, I was out of work unpaid for 3 months leading up to a pandemic when I need every penny I was due to be paid especially falling into the high risk category. I had no problem being approved for extended FMLA with Cigna so it just comes down to them not wanting them to pay the claim. I couldn't be more dissatisfied.

Original review: May 22, 2020

Cigna cut off my long term due to them saying I was able to work after social security has declared me permanent disabled. They paid my disability for 2 years then reviewed my file and terminated my long term saying I was able to work. I was not denied by social security any, which I would think would be much harder to prove disability to. Cigna stated I could get a job for thing I had never even heard of let alone qualified for. I've had to hire a attorney to take care of this problem. This is may and the attorney is still working on the case which started in January. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Cigna Disability Insurance response

Hi Dennis, I'm sorry to hear that you've had trouble with a continuation of your Long Term Disability benefits. I'd like to look into this for you and help in any way possible. Please email me at LetUsHelpU@cigna.com. -K.S.

Original review: May 21, 2020

A little history, I have a child born with Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) known to patients, advocates, and caregivers as an "invisible illness". Doesn't help that majority afflicted with this disease are of African descent and it's a rare disease affecting about 100k Americans. These facts pose challenges in itself. From being labeled a drug seeker, because SCD causes the most inexplicable pain that can only be managed for many with the strongest narcotics like ** to name a few. Along with the historically bias and racism in healthcare. There are tons of articles about the inequalities faced by ** in healthcare from lack of access to ineffective treatment. This happens to ** and other marginal groups regardless if they have a chronic disease or not. I bet many who read this will probably have to google what SCD even is. So let's get to CIGNAS role.

I worked for one of the largest American insurance companies in NV. Upon being hired, it was no secret my child had SCD. My manager at the time admitted to me he even being ** knew little about it and no one before me worked there that was connected to it in anyway. So the 1st 1yr and a half my daughter did well no complications. In CA where we came from at my previous job of 10 yrs, I had FMLA just in case. Got it no problem.

So after missing days due to her illness and hospitalization, then missing more because I myself was hospitalized at same time as she. I finally made my year to apply for FMLA. Now from my research and understanding for intermittent FMLA, it was to be for 180 days before a recertification occurred. On 3 /1/18 I submitted for FMLA, on 3/7/18, my supervisor called me in for my annual review which was to be a review of 2017. I can not deny I had several absences but at this point I had been counseled but not placed on any formal corrective action that would cause me to lose my job. In Feb 2018, I had an incident with an agent, it didnt go well on either side. I immediately let my manager know never heard back.

So in March, expecting my 2017 review. I knew I would not score favorable on attendance, but I never had a complaint from any client, manager, or employee, my quality was top tier. So when my manager said needs improvement for availability, it was expected. He asked how I would do that, I explained that due to my daughters condition, I had applied for FMLA so future absences would not negatively affect my performance. This is an unpredictable disease so I didn't lie and say "I promise never to be absent again". Because if my daughter is super sick I'm going to her side, not worried about work. He then replies "plenty of people have FMLA and their attendance is not like yours". Like really, so at that point I'm real annoyed. He went thru more eval and literally almost every section was needs improvement. I didn't agree, ended meeting, and filed complaint next day.

My FMLA was approved by CIGNA back to 3/1/18. The length of approval was 3/1/18 to 5/23/18. Based on all paperwork I received prior the time was wrong. It should have been through September. I called CIGNA within that week or next, asked the person who answered why was it not for 6 months, she says, "Not sure but when you recertify in May we will take it to six months." Ok cool, I at the time thought no biggie, I'm qualified and I hoped my child would not have any complications that would make this issue more complicated.

My paperwork submitted by my doc was for w full absent days, well May was a tough month she was too sick for day care or hospitalized more. So I exceeded that, so there were some denied days by CIGNA, I had submitted the recertification to her doctor and advised that due to her complications I was out over 2 days, after having a conversation with a CIGNA rep, I notified her doctor it would need to have an increase of about 5 days so the denied could be changed to approved.

My manager on about the 24th or 25th of May asked about those days. I said documents were sent to doctor to complete. So I contacted CIGNA. They said once doc filled out new forms they would update and they are giving me time to get it in. Well on 5/30/18 I was terminated for attendance. Now the job was scum too and not being left off hook. So on 5/31/18 CIGNA gets the updates from my doc so even after I'm terminated, I'm getting notice of the denied dates retroactively approved and the approval until Nov for 6 months like the original should have been.

So of course I file with the department of labor against my job. They claim that due to absences prior to FMLA and that they gave previous notice they were justified in termination. Funny why in January, February, or March when I first got FMLA, they did nothing, instead they made my last two months a living hell, basically turning coworkers against me, making up things to write me up. HR did almost nothing even though I had documentation of blatant lies they made.

Back to CIGNA, during my dept of Labor complaint, the investigator stated they would be levying violations against company as the FMLA should have been for 180 days. I have been fighting the employer 2 years. Still fighting. I will not let them get away, I know if it was Cancer they would have been more understanding, not pulling the "race" card. But I saw with my own eyes a woman who didnt even qualify for FMLA but had a child with a heart condition, they made every concession for her to keep her job but not this ** girl with the ** kid who doesn't "look sick".

So once I got confirmation from DOL that the FMLA was not right. I contacted CIGNA, in March, no follow up. I know COVID19 takes precedence for everything right now. So I'm gonna reach out again. COVID19 is allowing a lot of shady and ineffective companies a shield for things they should be held to the fire for. I believe if my FMLA was originally for the 6 months it should have been for the company would not have felt they could terminate me because ,I know a lot of times companies won't do things when someone is on FMLA. In my case I don't think they had a reason other than ego because I know what Im talking about and didnt lie down and take their crap.

The fact that my FMLA expired 5/23/18 and I was terminated on 5/30/18 shows they waited until it expired and if CIGNA processed it correctly, they would have probably tried to find another way. I read the FMLA for the company it says you have 15 days to submit recertification. CIGNAs poor follow up and their error in processing my intermittent FMLA has caused a serious hardship for my family and household and I feel a conversation at the least is warranted.

Original review: May 5, 2020

I came on here to write a review about Cigna and to warn others not to waste your money and time and I see that I'm not the only one going through this problem.

I had to cervical infusion in my C4 to C7 but have continue pain. My new Neurosurgeon pulled me out of work so I can take my medication as prescribed because I can't take them at work. Despite taking my medicine I been going to physical therapy. I haven't received a benefit check in a month due to Cigna denying my claim.

When I asked why was it denied I was told, "Your Dr. Said you was ok so there's nothing wrong with you". I said, "I know for a fact my Dr. Didn't say that because he pulled me out of work and if he felt I was ok he will be sending me back to work". So my claim manager said, 'Your Dr. Put that your cranium was fine and your motor skills was fine so our nurses who reviewed the claim feel you're ok". First of all I never seen my Dr. For my brain. I see him for my upper back pain and radiation on my left arm. Nor did he ask me about my cranium.

Not to mention I was referred for a second opinion to a orthopedic surgeon who said I have Pseudo arthrosis and have to a 3rd surgery this time in the back of my neck. I have a screw loose in my C7 as well but yet my claim is still being denied. I'm being told they have nurses who looks over the medical reports and come up with their decision.

I pay Cigna for this sorry insurance for them to tell me that my Medical condition isn't worth being out of work for. This is the worst insurance EVER!!! I work at a hospital and we use to have Unum disability and they were wonderful. With everything that going on right now I should be focusing on trying to get better but I'm stressed because of my bills and now I have to have surgery but have to deal with this with a insurance that I pay for. I'm calling my H.R. and cancel with them because they're not worth the crap they're putting me through and I will pay on my own with a more respectful Disability insurance company who actually cares about their customers and not just take their money but don't want to give customers what they pay for.

Original review: May 4, 2020

Don't ever be fooled into believing that Cigna is a good health insurance company. Believe me, they’re not! Cigna is full of nothing but lies and sleazy insurance denial tactics just to avoid paying out on valid insurance claims. That's exactly what happened to me when I had health insurance through Cigna. They basically back-pedaled their way out of covering "medically necessary" cancer treatment which I had needed including: biopsies and chemotherapy as well as specific medications needed for my overall care and recovery. All of my doctors and oncologists declared and proved beyond a reasonable doubt (to Cigna) that my cancer treatment was indeed medically necessary to prolong my life and improve my chances of survival. Cigna didn't care one bit to say the least!

All they did time after time was send me and my doctors' coverage denial after coverage denial after coverage denial.... You get the point. It got so bad to the point where I actually had to retain legal counsel because Cigna was essentially trying to take advantage of me by saying that none of my chemotherapy and none of my biopsies and none of my medications and none of my hospital stays (pretty much anything and everything related to my cancer treatment and care) wasn't "medically necessary" according to their own subjectively based decisions. My lawyers were able to prove to a judge and court differently however and I'm happy to say that I'm actually doing much better now both medically and financially (no thanks to Cigna though).

I won't bore anybody reading this with all the other nitty-gritty details (and believe me there are plenty more....) surrounding all of my truly horrific and nightmarish ordeals in having to deal with this so-called "caring" insurance company. But just take my word for it please when I emphatically tell you that Cigna is the last health insurance company on Earth which should be proclaiming to be "together all of the way with you" as our members. That's just a bunch of rubbish! Because Cigna was certainly not "together all the way" with me during my desperate time of need when I was basically battling for my life and just trying to stay alive while overcoming cancer. Instead Cigna just basically left me to die (almost literally) while ruining me financially as well as my credit.

I ended up going into medical debt for well over a quarter of a million dollars because Cigna categorically refused to cover any of my medical care!! Now does that sound like a health insurance company is truly "together all the way" with its members including cancer victims? It certainly doesn't sound like an insurer who is "together all the way" with me and that's for sure! So honestly the next time that you see some phony or cliched commercial or marketing advertisement (like this one here) in which Cigna is trying to earn your business I would strongly encourage you to run the other way!

Cigna is honestly nothing more than a dishonest bait-and-switch insurance scam which then has the unbelievable nerve and audacity to go around masquerading as a "caring" insurance company that is "together all of the way" with its members! This insurance is so bad that I honestly wouldn't even accept it even if it was free!! Don't say that you haven't already been forewarned.... Please don't find out the hard way....

Original review: April 20, 2020

I am in the first month. My agent told me my Dr's office must be telling me they didn't receive a fax to buy themselves more time to get to it. I let the representative know that my clinic worked very efficiently and that was a quite accusatory statement to throw out there. I do not believe my paperwork was faxed ever. I believe they document that they did, but not that they actually lifted a finger. The man I spoke with cut me off several times. Decided it was a good idea to let me know I call in so often. I said yes, I need therapy as I went through a horrific abusive divorce. I needed my money so I could afford therapy. We will see what happens.

He said he would call the Dr's office for me... AFTER I requested since I had been "calling everyone so often". I said it is my job up to a point but when they can't ensure a fax gets through I could call a thousand times and it wouldn't make a difference. After reading all of the denials and me being in the same position everyone else in this thread has gone through as far as them blaming the doctors or not actually faxing info etc... I'm now becoming more anxious.

Instead of healing I have to be worried about putting food on the table for me and the kids. My husband ghosted me completely before divorcing me, I was blindsided and there are worse pieces to what happened. I imagine they'll decline until I run out of money and they schemed another person. I have temporary depression and ongoing panic disorder. Their treatment and unwillingness to treat me with respect, let alone do their job is going to hurt me more. I'll deem it financial abuse and speak to a lawyer once I have money. I should have recorded the phone call. I git interrupted about 6 times in just 2 minutes, placed on hold without being asked if that was alright...thats just proper phone etiquette. Had he been polite I'd have overlooked it.

Their themes seem to be:
1. Blame doctor for insufficient communication and / or paperwork.
2. Drag it out as long as possible.
3. No values or standards seem to be set for the culture of the company. (Do they have any sort of mission statement? )

4. Ultimately after months of roundabouts, they determine you are not qualified.

Should I just sit back and pretend I don't have any money coming and not respond on my behalf? I mean it will only frustrate me and bring back memories of abuse and someone else having control over my life anyway. I'm so sorry everyone here has experienced such bad service. In fact the service sounds so bad it seems fake. If I wasn't seeing it myself I would wonder if you were all paid by an opposing company.

Original review: March 26, 2020

My disability was good till March 16th. I guess they want an update medical records given the Coronavirus and the doctors reschedule an appointments and elective surgeries is not being done at this moment given coronavirus. Cigna takes advantage of that and says that nothing's currently being done. If she would have asked I would have told her my dr.s given treatments but she was too busy belittling me and refine. Or more like keeps blurring out a statement to me through the phone. "I just don't understand why you're not working" three different times when I'm in serious neck pain and cannot sleep longer than 4 hrs a night while taking ** to stop vomiting and ** to take the edge off. Which my episodes last for days. Injured my shoulder which prevents me from even doing housework and tore my left radial tendon preventing my thumb and hand from working properly to which all require some sort of elective surgery.

My dr.s actions obviously weren't fast enough during this Coronavirus outbreak enough to make her happy. Maybe she was sleeping under a rock and didnt either read my file nor cared enough to or cared enough to listen to our government bodies on NO ELECTIVE SURGERIES Which wasn't MOVING FAST ENOUGH FOR HER ON HER TIMELINE. And the new lady who called me after like four months was rude and belittling. Did not ask what was happening with me nor cared. Think she was more into getting a pat on her shoulder for trying to close my case. Really. SHE CAN NOT CLOSE MY CASE WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES.

Obviously I can't earn a living lady. Have DDD, DJD STENOSIS IN MY NECK AROUND MY 3 LEVEL FUSION WHICH WAS WELL PAST THE AVERAGE 7 YEARS THAT REQUIRE SURGERY. I can't believe what I heard from this women. Meanwhile I havent been paid since March 16th nor did she say anything to ease my mind but rather than worry the hell out of me to when I can buy groceries for me and my kid. I HOPE SHE READS MY FILE AND CALLS ME TO APOLOGIZE GIVEN WE ALL UNDER A LOT OF STRESS DUE TO THE LATEST PANDEMIC!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Updated on 02/25/2020: I had communication with my Cigna rep today concerning the review that I posted on here. Cigna kicked the issue back to my Cigna claims rep. This review does not have anything to do with how my Cigna claims rep handled my claim. In fact, she was a pleasure to work with. My Cigna claims rep explained the process to me. I understand. But I stand by my claim that I did not RECEIVE any money in January from SSDI (other than the retro-pay which I had to reimburse to the Advocator Group and Cigna) and Cigna reduced my benefit by the SSDI amount that I did not receive in January. I have bank statement to prove this. These transactions were all dictated by Cigna via an ACH agreement that I had to sign.

I understand that my first SSDI payment was in February. But Cigna still reduced my benefit for money I did NOT receive in January. Bank statements available upon request. Two Cigna claims reps involved in my LTD claim. They both processed all my documents in a timely fashion. I appreciate that. They were both great people to deal with. Because I have Parkinson’s, I track all my transactions in Quicken. Believe me, I know when I do NOT receive any money in a given month and I was definitely not paid my SSDI in January.

Original review: I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in Oct 2016. Disabled from work in May of 2019. Applied for SSDI on May 30, 2019. Cigna (ERISA) plan paid me every month beginning in (May-Aug was elimination period) September 2019 through December 2019. Big plus on that. I was approved for SSDI on Jan 6 2020. Cigna told me that they are allowed not to have pay me my portion of SSDI for January because SSDI processed my first payment on Feb 2020. Cigna told me that they do not have to make me whole for January because "they can't be responsible because SSDI is behind one month". WTF!!! I'm screwed out of my money for January. They even took my retro pay for Nov and Dec 2019. This is so wrong.

Cigna Disability Insurance response

Bryan, I understand you were able to reach a representative about your issue, but still have concerns about the January claim. I sincerely apologize for this experience. I’d be happy to help in any way possible if you’d email me at LetUsHelpU@cigna.com. –K.S.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I was involved in an accident on my way home from work. A reckless driver swerved into my lane and hit me head on. This event has affected every aspect of my life. However, i"m very thankful that I'm alive. According to the doctor I will be out for at least 6 months. I have short term disability and was expecting 60 percent of my pay. Little did I know Cigna caps the benefit at 800.

After reviewing my expenses with my wife we determined we could cover our expenses with 800 a week. Relieved that I could cover our expenses my wife and I could focus on my recovery. Upon receiving my first check, I was shocked that it had been reduced to 80 dollars. I immediately spoke with a case worker, who explained they were reducing my benefits due to offset clause. Apparently the fact that I was not at fault for the accident and someone else was and the possibility that I might someday receive compensation from them. Cigna is going to pay me the minimum amount they can. What a bunch of crooks. 80 a week isn't even enough to pay my Cigna premiums. Don't waste your money on short term disability.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

My experience with Cigna has been terrible. My husband was diagnosed with Acromegaly in 2018. Acromegaly affects your joints, organs, cognitive levels... He had two surgeries for the pituitary tumor which brought all levels within normal range. Despite this, his symptoms have gotten worse. He had a mentally and physically demanding job as a flight nurse on a helicopter, which requires heavy lifting, demanding physical activity, fast decision making skills, life saving skills, etc. He pushed himself to stay at work as long as he possibly could.

On August 1, 2019, he filed for short term disability because he could no longer do his job appropriately due to multiple joint pain and cognitive issues. He was having issues just being able to get into the helicopter and do simple drug calculations that he had done for years. He has also applied for Social Security Disability. He goes to Duke Hospital because they are one of the best in the country treating this disease. His Neurosurgeon, Endocrinologist, primary care physician, and physical therapy have all written statements and filled out paperwork stating that he cannot do his job as a flight nurse.

Cigna denied the initial claim saying that the Neurosurgeon did not have the validity to make that decision. (He can do surgery on your brain, but can’t make that decision??). His PCP also filled out the same paperwork but that wasn’t enough either. It was suggested to us that Physical Therapy needed to make that decision. So, he went and got orders for PT and PT’s evaluation was the same.

It is currently January 24, 2020 and Cigna is still denying his claim. He has been out of work since August 1, 2019. I cannot understand how they can deny you when multiple physicians and physical therapy are all saying you cannot do your job. We are having to put our house up for sale since I am the only income now. This should not legally be allowed to happen. When I call the case worker, very rarely do they answer. When I leave a message, very rarely do they call you back.

I am also sending a letter to the CEO of Cigna, which I’m sure will never get to him or never get a response back from him. If you want some shocking information, look up how much the CEO made last year. I read an article that said from 2014 to 2016 he had an 80% jump in his salary. No wonder they deny claims. I would suggest to anyone that currently has Cigna, to find another company NOW. If zero stars were available, that’s what I would give. Would love to hear a response from Cigna.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I have been trying to receive my ST Disability Benefits since the beginning of December 2019. Today is January 13, 2020. I have called several times, and each time I have to speak to someone new. I am never transferred to my "Case Manager", and my wife has contacted them several times through their CHAT. Each time we speak to them they tell us the same things: 1. Someone has tried to contact you... 2. We are missing information from your medical providers.

First of all, we have NEVER received any phone calls or emails from our case manager; NEVER! Secondly, how can you still be needing the EXACT same information that WE HAVE GIVEN you for over a month! Also, every single time they try to verify my doctors phone numbers, they give us our phone number or the wrong doctor's phone number. I finally had to ask for their Fax number so that I could personally ask my Surgeon to send in the information that they were "missing".

This delay, and lack of communication has put my family in a very tight situation in regards to finances, since I am the only breadwinner for my family of four, we are now in dire need of outside assistance. Whatever the issue is, it needs to be rectified. Treating clients in this manner is ludicrous. I have paid into this system through my employer, the assistance should be available, and they need to be timely in their response! It is bad business. If you are looking for ST Disability, I would NOT recommend CIGNA.

Resolution response: Jan. 14, 2020

A resolution has been reached. Cigna Consumer Advocate Eric was very professional. He answered all my questions. My STD has been extended after review of the submitted required Doctor's notes. At this time, I can not update the star-rating based on my previous experience. Thank you Eric for your assistance.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Updated on 07/28/2020: To anyone that is considering Cigna for Short/Long Term Disability, reconsider. I have been dealing with Cigna for the last 12 months on Short Term disability. It has been an extremely horrible experience. This month my Short Term Disability is to convert to Long Term Disability. All of the medical documentation was submitted in March 2020. On March 20th a Representative named Grant contacted me and let me the documentation has been received. He informed me the LTD will pick-up in July and I will hear from a Case Manager towards the end of June.

Today is July 24th and the case Manager Taylor has been making excuse after excuse of why the LTD is not set-up. I received my last STD check on July 17th and have no idea when I will receive a LTD check. What makes me beyond upset is, I am visually impaired after six head surgeries. I ensured the medical paperwork was submitted in more than a sufficient amount of time, and still yet, this company finds ways to still delay and frustrate people with medical disabling issues. What really put me over the top is Taylor said to me in a telephone conversation yesterday, “I have 70 cases I am working on, I haven’t looked at yours today. I was waiting for an email from your employer, but I didn’t have time to check emails today.” WOW!!.. Then she asked me do I want to speak to her Supervisor.

Problem number 1: Speaking with her Supervisor had absolutely nothing to do with my claim. Problem number 2: My medical documentation was submitted in March, my employer sent paperwork over in April. At that time, the employer terminated me based on the medical paperwork letting them know I will not be able to return based on the Vision and other medical issues. Problem number 3: This is not a new case, this is a case being converted from STD to LTD.

Just as I was about to hit send on Friday, July 24th, Taylor called. Basically, saying nothing again. She said "I haven't had a chance to review the file but I wanted to give you a call to let you know where I am". YES, YOU'RE AT THE SAME PLACE YOU'VE BEEN SINCE MONDAY. Today is Tuesday, July 28th and I haven't heard anything, yet.

Original Review: I am disappointed to see all of the negative reviews about Cigna but happy to know I'm not the only one experiencing their methods. I've been out on STD since August 2019 and had 2 head surgeries. I am battling some challenges. The Cigna approved In-Network Neuro-Surgeon and Neuro-Optomologist has submitted the required documentation to extend the disability. My last appointment was December 17, 2019 and the Neuro-Surgeon submitted all the paperwork to Cigna.

When I checked the system to be certain the date was extended, it wasn't. I began contacting Cigna. I left messages. Talked to Customer Service because my Rep was out of the office but could not find out why my disability checks stopped. It has been 4 weeks without a check. I've had 6 head surgeries since September 2017; what annoys me with this is: You have someone battling to get well and the medical insurance that supposed to assist in that process is contributing to unnecessary stress and aggravation which possibly can cause seizures.

My question is: These are your approved In-Network Doctors that submitted the paperwork, what is the problem? We have medical insurance on jobs so if we face a medical situation, we are covered. Cigna accepts the payments without issues but will find every possible way to avoid paying disability to a rightly deserving claimant. I pray Cigna upper Authority, Medical Reviews Staff and Claim Representatives do not ever experience what I've gone through with this insurance disability.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

Updated on 11/25/2020: I can't believe what I keep going through with this company. I have been dealing with Fibromyalgia for almost two years now. I've been pushing myself, not wanting to take off from work and definitely not having to deal with Cigna. Anything that you're going through they help layer your problems. I've had such an increase in pain. I've had cognitive issues, anxiety, and depression. I thought I was taking all the right steps and getting better. All it took was my dealing with Cigna to send me right back down in that rabbit hole. They closed my case once again. I fell right back into the dark place of depression, crying constantly, and just laid in that one place for days. It took my mother to come and drag me out of that spot to make me bathe, eat, and to move.

After multiple calls. I finally spoke with my caseworker to tell me denied again. I do have a psych appointment coming up. I don't even know if that will make a difference. It's like they don't care about people livelihoods. I would be further in a hole if I had came out of work when my Rheumatologist first asked me to. I guess you need to be on your death bed. I can't imagine others like me that's dealing with such darkness having to deal with this. How many will actually make it and how many would actually give up? As I'm writing my review, my mother is begging me not to go back to dark place and not to let this get the best of me. The practices of Cigna for Short term disability needs to be evaluated, especially if it's a benefit of your job and supporting documentation from your doctor showing your ailment is legit.

Updated on 11/12/2020: For the second year in a row my case has been closed when my doctor took me out. I have Fibromyalgia flare ups in which sometimes I'm completely down to the point of using a bed pain with intense pain & dealing with depression/anxiety. I found myself crying constantly and it started in meetings I was conducting as a supervisor. I would forget how to do daily routines and it was very frustrating. I was at the point of not comprehending simple conversations. My daughter even had to it in with my doctor to explain what was being said.

My daughter wanted to take me out a month before I did but I made myself work until it felt like I needed to be committed or something. All because I remember my experiences from last year. I've had the same case worker twice, so you would think she would remember all the testing I was going through for Lupus and everything. My hands are hurting so bad as I write this review at 4 am. I just don't know what to do. It's like they don't care about people livelihoods. What's the purpose of having this benefit at work? I've been making myself work through the pain or take FMLA but this is inhumane and unfair. I have a friend that had brain lesions and she went through the same thing. When she was really going through.

Original Review: 2019 started with me being sick and in constant pain. It continued for months. Based on testing I received in January, it was speculated that I had an autoimmune disorder, RA, or lupus. My doctor gave me a referral for a Rheumatologist. Starting in February, my PCP was trying different medications as at this point I was enduring constant pain and the scheduling for the Rheumatologist wasn't until two months. During that time my doctor and I discussed the possibility of me going out on FMLA. Things got bad in April right when I got in to see the Rheumatologist. At this point my immune system was low as well and I was staying sick along with the pain in my body. My doctor did my STD paperwork and it was denied. Apparently, Cigna only took into consideration what they saw from April on, not considering this was an on going thing since January that I had been dealing with.

I guess if I had just come out of work in January that would have been better, but I guess I was penalized for trying to work. This is a benefit and a joke. If they want to use the same state requirements for short term then short term is unnecessary because people could just go to the state. Why even consider this a part of your benefits. I was out of work two months with no pay. I went back to work because I had no choice. Guess what, I couldn't even work to get full pay checks until 6-7 months down the road. Talking about added stress. I was eventually diagnosed with a moderate case of Fibromyalgia. Let's pray I can manage from this point. There are days when it's hard to walk and/or sit.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

Wow, I never realized I was in such good company until I came here and read these negative reviews. Can we form a support group? I have had two consecutive hip replacements due to severe osteoarthritis in both hips causing difficulty with walking, standing and activities of daily living-one in July 2019 and the other in September 2019. I was approved for eight weeks physical therapy for each surgery. Since my surgeries were only eight weeks apart, I only had five weeks therapy for the first surgery and was told by my orthopedist that making up the three weeks owed therapy after my second surgery should be no problem. I was released to return to work on 1/6/20, which my employer was completely fine with. I filed a short-term disability claim with CIGNA as instructed by my employer, which was accepted; however, not with some difficulties encountered after my second surgery.

CIGNA's first attempt to cut me off was 11/5/19. After speaking with a nurse case manager (whom CIGNA considers God when it comes to deciding whether or not you get paid-more on that later), I learned that they had no idea I was in physical therapy from July to the present time, or that I had exacerbated lower back pain on the left side due to levoscoliosis, which justified the need for additional physical therapy.

My illustrious case manager, Candice **, never bothered to call me during the claim for a status or even bothered to ask my doctor if I was seeking additional treatment! As a result, I was responsible for requesting, collecting, and scanning 65 pages of physical therapy notes, orthopedic notes, and xray reports documenting my back condition to CIGNA for treatment they were completely aware of. In short, I did Ms. ** job. My actions paid off and my benefits were reinstated to 12/10. Since I complained about Ms. ** poor file handling and perpetual unavailability when I tried contacting her, my file was reassigned to her supervisor, Marie **.

On 12/13, I fell on black ice and naturally went to my orthopedist to confirm my replacements were not damaged. The orthopedist confirmed I was fine after the fall and sent the updated documentation directly to CIGNA. On 12/17, after playing extensive phone tag the week before, I finally received a call from Jessica, a nurse case manager, to further discuss my medical condition. On 12/18, I received a call from Marie, advising that based on my 12/13 office note, my benefits were cut off as of 12/10. They took the 12/13 note completely out of context, construed it to mean I was perfectly fine, and essentially used it as ammunition to terminate my claim.

I have three major issues with this: 1. If CIGNA is using a 12/13 note to justify cutting me off, then at the very least they owe me benefits until 12/13. They have nothing to support an arbitrary cut-off date of 12/10 at this point. 2. The opinion of a company paid REGISTERED NURSE who talked to me for 20 minutes and has never physically seen me outweighs the opinions of my orthopedic surgeon and physician assistant who have personally examined me multiple times, are more educated and are in a far better position to provide a qualified medical opinion.

3. My employer, who contracts with CIGNA to administer short-term disability payments, is perfectly fine with my 1/6/20 return to work date, as noted by my doctor. Therefore, what's it to CIGNA to question the doctor's decision, if my employer has accepted it? Needless to say, I am appealing this matter and am exploring other avenues for justified indemnification. Wish me luck, because it sounds like I am going to need it!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

I have Cigna Disability Insurance through my work and I guess you get what you pay for. I had surgery on November 18th and had sent in paperwork stating I would be out until December 30th at the earliest. It is actually January 13th, 2020 before I will be released to go back to work. They approved my claim until December 8th and in a phone call today I was told by the caseworker that she won't approve any additional time as I should be able to go back to work. So apparently Cigna hires caseworkers that know more about major surgery and the time it takes to recover from the surgery than the surgeons do. Who knew we'd be so lucky?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

The worst insurance company ever. I would never recommend them. I put in for my salary disability two weeks prior to my operation. Four weeks later it is still under review. I have not gotten my first paycheck at all. Totally ridiculous insurance company. They call you back to verify that you got your operation. Like you're lying when you're getting a new leg put in. Totally ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I had hip Replacement Surgery on NOV 4th 2019. I did received my fist check after the waiting period. I was approved for benefits Nov 11th thru Dec.15 which is not good. my doctor has me in intensive phys therapy 3x week. I go back to him on 12/31/19 and the doc said I may return to work January 6th 2020. Cigna stopped my benefits. I'm weak, I'm diabetic and wound is stiff and sore. It It hurts to drive and I'm on meds. Not sure what else to do as I have form signed by doctor. I am tired of the unneeded stress which is not helping me heal!! I am behind on bills! Not a good experience! Mgr name is Judy.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Updated on 12/25/2019: I just wanted to update... Somehow someone at Cigna dropped the ball and it’s my fault. My STD should have ended in June and changed over to LTD. Now my appeal has been overturned and approved since November, but LTD is taking over and they have steps so now I’m waiting again for something that should be priority. I guess I have some cashed stashed and can wait. Depression starting to kick in even more. This should have been done ASAP. Every time I call it’s something new and someone new working on it.

Original review: Started my short term disability with Cigna in March of 19. All went well until Aug., I was out of the loop being told the claim is in review. I finally went back to work because my bills were piling up and my kids were going without and about to get evicted. Only to have a relapse due to extra stress from Cigna playing games with my claim. Went back out and decided to start an appeal because of course they waited 4 weeks to tell me they were not approving my claim because my doctor should have put me in more intensive therapy although I went every week to therapy and every other week to the psychiatrist. It’s been since September no real communication and then boom I have you medical review and you will have an answer the end of next week. Well, it’s the end of next week and nothing so I guess I wasn’t approved I don’t know and Katelyn ** never responds.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I was back to work before I ever got paid. If you are needing time away from work, do what you can to avoid STD payments. In 6 weeks, I couldn't get the right paperwork sent in because they send so much of the same thing but what they really need is NOT sent to you but the dr instead. Then when it was sent in, my claims manager was on vacation all week. I guess there is no back up as important as this is. Now, this will be another week to process and get me paid, which is freaking unbelievable. I am out almost 4k because of the incompetency of Cigna.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I wish I could give zero stars. My case worker continuously mailed me letters requesting doctors information after having an authorization on file since the beginning. As a patient I do not have access to Drs notes nor do I know what Cigna specifically needs. They continuously attempted to request documents from me but failed to request them from the provider. In the 3 months I have been out of work I have a received a correct and on time payment once. For a company that is supposed to step in to allow people to recover for an illness, they have only added to the stress and worry at every turn.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I’ve been long term since September 2019 with Cigna. Mind you I paid in for long term disability. I got 1 check full amount. Second check 145.50. They assumed I’m receiving SSI. It’s Thanksgiving. I have no money.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

My employer uses Cigna for their short term disability claims. I was scheduled for induction on Nov. 4th. I called on Oct. 30th to file a pre-claim. Ended up going into labor on Oct. 31st and had my baby that day. After being dismissed from the hospital I called Cigna on Nov. 6th to give an update on my claim. Called again on Nov. 13th because my pay stub didn't reflect my short term disability. The dates were never updated in the system and it was never assigned. Called again on Nov. 15th the dates were updated finally and I was told it was being escalated to be assigned and I should know who it was assigned to by Nov. 19th. Called a 5th time on Nov. 21st and it still hasn't been assigned. Was told it was being escalated a second time. Still waiting...

It is very stressful not knowing when you will be paid during a time you shouldn't have to worry. To add to the stress Thanksgiving is next week and now I'm trying to figure out how to manage groceries and bills while taking care of a newborn. I hope no one has to go thru this. Cigna you are the reason for postpartum depression.

Cigna Disability Insurance Company Information