2.18/5
Based on 22 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

22 Careington Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Yes, if you take this to a dentist in their network they will show you an initial price (an artificially high one), and then show you a lower price as a result of your 500 series Careington/1Dental "discount", but it's total crap! Go and get a second opinion from a non participating dentist and you will get either the same price as their after "discount" pricing or probably something even lower without signing up for a non refundable extra program.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

They will provide a fee schedule and convince you that you will pay discounted prices at the dentist which is true of X-ray or dental cleaning... But when you need a root canal you will not pay the listed price because it does not exist... No general dentist is going to do a root canal on a molar so they will cover their ** by saying they tell you they will give you 20 percent off a specialist in their network. This is the biggest fraud I've ever seen... These people who are working as customer service agents are trained to cover this up by verbal disco but actually they are baiting and switching you with their 20 percent off routine. This is a big fraud and I hope there is some way to sue this company or get them put out of business for the garbage they are pulling!!! All I can say to these people is that they can go ** themselves and I hope they are shut down soon.

Get expert buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

This is the biggest waste of time and money I've seen in a while. The 'providers' list' is a joke - half of the dentists have moved, some YEARS AGO, others just laugh when I asked about Careington. To top it off, the agreement is written so that I will get diddly squat back as a refund. That's okay, Tex, ENJOY IT! For that money I'll get a lot of satisfaction telling everyone I know what a POS this outfit is. Consider it $4000m worth of bad PR!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I purchased their plan August 14, 2018. Called to cancel 6 days later. I was told they would refund me the $9.99 but the processing fee of $30 would not. However; on their website at the bottom of the page it clearly states: You may cancel within the first 30 days after effective date or receipt of membership materials (whichever is later) and receive a full refund, less a nominal processing fee (nominal fee for MD residents is $5, AR and TN residents will be refunded processing fee).

Well, I am an Arkansas resident and they still refused my request. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she told me that my request would go before a board of advisors for them to decide. This is a no brainer! I am due a FULL REFUND according to their policies and website yet, they put me on hold for minutes on end, transferred me around till I finally got a supervisor that told me that it was up to the board! I explained to her that they are a fraud and these are at best 'Gestapo' like business practices. I would suggest that anyone reading this think twice about using their services. I have never been more upset at the beginning of my day. I thought this would be quick and simple... NOT! Again, beware before you purchase.

Careington response

Hello Alicia, did you purchase your Careington plan directly from Careington? Our processing fee is only $20, however other sellers may have varying costs. If you would like to send us a direct message with your full name and date of purchase we can look you up in our system and help get this issue resolved. We are sorry this happened to you! You can also call our customer service line at (800) 290-0523. Thank you!

Original review: July 8, 2018

I purchased this plan for my wife and I. About 8 months into it, I found out that our dentist no longer accepts the plan. I contacted Careington, and canceled. Since there was well over three months left on the program, that I would like a refund for the unused portion. They don't give refunds... You are stuck for the entire amount, whether you can use it or not.

Hello Roger,

We are sorry you had a provider that left our network. We would love to try and resolve this issue. If you give our customer service team a call at (800) 290-0523 one of our customer care representatives will work with you to help address any concerns you are having. We have a provider search tool on our site to help you find a provider that can help utilize your discounts if you would prefer that as well! We look forward to speaking with you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Careington?

Original review: June 25, 2018

Purchased a family plan after looking at the payment schedule they provided. There is a section called 'oral surgery' and lists procedures that only an oral surgeon, not a regular dentist, in New Jersey would perform. Total for exam, panoramic xrays and an easy tooth extraction with nitrous oxide (I thought it was going to be more complicated) should have cost around $200. Okay - So that is the 'average' with the discount they offer in my area. So why was I charged over $700? Because Careington say those prices are for a 'regular' dentist to perform those procedures. Why do they have Alveoloplasty, surgical removal of tooth roots, etc listed in their fee schedule for a regular dentist if regular dentists do NOT perform these procedures? SCAM!!! Beware of Careington plans. And if you go to a 'regular' dentist who will do special dental procedures like these, beware of them, too.

Original review: May 8, 2018

If you pay the year in advance, as I did, you can only get a refund if you cancel in the first 30 days. I paid the year in January, canceled in May, and I get ZILCH back. That should be unlawful. I didn't use the plan at all. Well, they got me this time. Never again.

Careington response

Hello Christopher. I am sorry you were unhappy with our policy for annual plans. If you reach out to our Customer Service Supervisor Dorian Moton, he would be happy to assist you. You can reach him at dorianm@careington.com

Original review: March 15, 2018

I purchased the service in 2015. Prior to renewal in March, 2016, I called to cancel. I found out in Feb 2018 that they continued billing me in 2016 and 2017. They will not issue a refund. These crooks stole $174 from me. It's also my bad for not noticing the charges when they happened. Check your accounts, folks.

Careington response

Hello Frank. At Careington, we do have an auto-renewal system for the convenience of our members. With the auto-renewal they can continue to enjoy discounts, without having to worry about revisiting payment at the end of the year or month. We include disclaimers on our website and all marketing material to make sure our valued members see that policy. If you would like to reach out to dorianm@careington.com he would be happy to help resolve this issue for you!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Lack of payment of any kind over a year, despite 48?? premium paid on time monthly. Note (Waiting Period not Met). How long is waiting p. 19 years? This has been a total Rip Off! Would like to report to BBB & or Fraudulent Practices. Very disappointed. Would like to report this kind Business. Who do I contact; to report poor business makings?

Careington response
Hello Rita, We aren't quite sure what you meant when you said "Lack of payment of any kind over a year, despite 48???"

If you would like to reach out to ** he would be happy to address and help resolve your concerns.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I apply for one month member and Was satisfied that save like 100 dollars money, however after one year I was surprised that I’ve been charged 9.95 dollars per month for the whole year, I explained to them I didnt know it was auto renewal and ask for a refund but they reject per their terms and conditions.

Careington response

Hello Zhenghao. We try to clearly state our pricing policies throughout the buying process. If you would like to reach out to our customer service supervisor Dorian Moton, he will be happy to assist you. You can reach him at dorianm@careington.com

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

This company charged me 230% of what discount dental should cost. They list it for $9 per month and were charging me $23. They then increased their rate to $27 per month without even telling me. So be warned that they will change the rate without letting you know. I don't even know how this is legal. Finally as a service, it does not offset your bill. For almost all cases you save very little. I would not recommend getting this service.

Careington response

Hello Michael, Careington has never had monthly costs that high. We would love to get you in contact with Dorian Moton our customer service supervisor to work with you to resolve this issue. You can reach him at dorianm@careington.com. Thank you!

Original review: June 9, 2017

I was not notified of the end of my contract with them. I didn't know that they were going to charge my bank for almost $300.00. Called the office, was told I had to write a letter to get my money back. I shouldn't have to write anything as I didn't know that my contact had ended for the end. Why that much money.

Careington response

Hello Irene, we are sorry to hear about this incident. Please reach out to our customer service supervisor Dorian Moton at dorianm@careington.com he will be happy to assist you in this matter!

Original review: May 10, 2017

I requested that my account be cancelled on multiple times and they still continued to charge my bank account. Every time I called to complain they just pushed me off to another department or hung up on me. Never use this company, it's just not worth the struggle.

Careington response

Hello Lindsay, we are sorry that you have had trouble with our customer service department. If you contact our customer service supervisor Dorian Moton at dorianm@careington.com he will be happy to work with you to resolve this issue.

Original review: April 18, 2017

Everything about Careington is fraud. They give you an advertised $250 ballpark fee for a typical root canal. I go to dentist and of course I need a more expensive root canal (molar). OK, after searching fine print, Careington says it will be $450 range. I call 2 local dentists in the program, give them my ID # and tell them my referring dentist says I need root canal procedure 3330 and they agree on phone. Price is in $450 range. I arrive at dentist next day and without even looking at my tooth, they said my price will be $850 (but yesterday on the phone it was $450). They added bogus consultation fees which Careington does not cover and they said Careington won't cover a periodontist to do root canal.

In California, it looks the only way to get a root canal is by a specialist but Careington won't pay it. So Careington is fraudulent in saying they can get you a root canal for $250 to $450. Same problem for the porcelain crown. Careington shows you a cheap price, but no participating dentist will give you the crown without adding $100 or much more to the Careington advertised prices. Back to root canals, most of them require posts or special buildup procedures as part of the root canal. Does Careington mention this is in their false advertising? Of course not and they don't cover it either. National average for root canal is $850 or more. If you use Careington, your best price is the same $850. They don't save you anything on root canals. Waste of time and money. They sell you the bogus plan, the consumer quits before 30 days, and they keep 20% for processing their fraud.

Careington response

Hello Tom, we are sorry to hear of this experience. We try to be upfront with our customers in what they are receiving with our plans. We make sure to state clearly that this plan is not insurance, just a discount plan to help you save money. Please get in contact with our customer service supervisor Dorian Moton at dorianm@careington.com he will be happy to work with you directly to resolve this and address any other concerns that you may have!

Original review: April 17, 2017

Went to the dentist in September, Careington provided new cards for the visit and never mentioned needing updated credit card info. They received a notice of pending charges for my procedure, but in Oct since my credit card expired in September they just cancelled my plan and never notified me. Meantime I had the dental procedure apparently uncovered in October and Careington didn't care, they even told the dentist I cancelled the plan which is a lie. Very sneaky and fraudulent, I never received a request for updated credit card information or a cancellation notice by mail, email or phone, and I never missed a payment since 2013!

Careington response

Hello Wendy, we are sorry to hear about this incident. Please reach out to our customer service supervisor Dorian Moton at dorianm@careington.com he will be happy to assist you in this matter!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

Customer service was very helpful in explaining the ins and outs of this discount plan to me, and they walked me through the process of how to get the most out of this plan. The claim processing time was a breeze to go through with no down time involved whatsoever, fluid is the best term for it. The process took very little time and effort on my part and their part, everything was in order from start to finish, and every was happy with results. The value of The Careington discount dental plan is priceless, and the Careington discount dental plan was a heaven-sent solution to my dental situation. The cost was easily one of the best values that I have seen in years, for most dental plans are somewhat untouchable for the average consumer to handle.

The network options were easily one of the best perks to the Careington discount plan, the Dentists that were in the network were some of the most trustworthy Dentist out there. The Dentists were leaders in their particular practices and the Dentists staff were definitely customer friendly and very easily approachable and seemed to be very in touch with the situations I was going through at the time.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

One of the best I have ever seen. A warm smile that greets you and lets me know they actually care about me as a customer and not a number. The claims are finished in a professional time frame. You will have no problems here. Extremely great service that provides the best value a customer could ask for. Down to earth, friendly service and this helps you feel at ease. This is probably the biggest strength this company has: the different networks will have the plans that fit your needs and fits the needs of your family.

Careington response

Hello Michael. Thank you for the kind words. We are so proud to have valued members like yourself. Thank you for being a valued Careington customer!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

They have fantastic customer service and support that is second to none! They are very helpful and go out of their way to help the customer in any way they can! They have a very friendly staff workers and ensure the best quality service available. The claims processing is very fast and easy to file. Claims are handled quickly and process effortlessly! I've never had any problems with any type of dental claims that I've had to file. Staff is knowledgeable with the claim filing process.

The overall value of the dental insurance plan is great and is much better than a lot of competitors on the market. You get the best quality dental care available on the market. The dental plan is exceptional and I highly recommend it. The network's options are outstanding and most dentist accept this insurance coverage! The options are great! Just a simple find dental plan overall that I highly recommend to the consumer! Your overall options of dental options never disappoints.

Careington response

Hello Christopher. Our customer service and company is nothing without valued customers like yourself! Thank you for being a part of the Careington family.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

The customer service was great. They gave me the attention I needed and made me feel like my questions and business were important to them. It took about the amount of time I expected it to take. No more no less. But that's ok. It was worth every second because of the wonderful product they offer. The value of these products that I receive was fantastic. Not only that but the value that I felt I had because of the way I was treated. I think they had a great amount of options. Often too many is overwhelming but they offered me just what I needed and it was great. I was very satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

The staff was outstanding and so courteous. The doctors were real professional. For in my life I wasn't scared, it was a great experience. The claims processing was smooth as can be. The insurance paid its part and I paid a small copay which I didn't mind at all. So on all in all it was a good experience that's why I recommend it. I was happy with the service. I had a cleaning x-rays and check up and exam all at once. I found a dentist in the network close to home. What a surprise. Good one at that. Value for your money, easy claims service with good customer services. Can't go wrong.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

I love their customer service! Not one person I spoke to was rude. Everyone was so friendly and so knowledgeable they seem like experts! The claim process time is a bit lengthy, however it is very easy to follow, and has little steps that need to be taken in order to get your claim processed. The value for the money is great! It is an outstanding service and needs little to no input from your part. All claims are settled quick and fairly. The network options are so broad, or at least in my area, very little clinics were not covered by this insurance company. And the ones that weren't, were not my cup of tea.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

The customer service is pretty amazing, you wanna make sure you get what you're asking for. Overall you shouldn't have too much of a problem with it the way I see. The process time is definitely something you may get mad over, it's only because the time usually takes longer than what is said about it, but you wanna make sure you're getting exactly what you wanted so just wait on the time. It will go by. The value is gonna suck but you wanna make sure it's exactly what was guaranteed. So don't worry about the value. In the end it's gonna be just what your money paid for. I'm always happy when it comes to the understanding of the network part. There are plenty of options on what you would like to do but you have to be very careful in considering what is right to do.

Careington expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Careington is a marketer, service administrator and aggregator of discount dental, health and wellness  payment schedules to help underinsured and uninsured individuals with dental expenses.

• Quality partners: Careington works with more than 40 leading healthcare companies to get customers the best dental care service.

• Simple research: Careington customers can easily search for a provider serving their area on Careington's website.

• Package discounts: Careington's discounts are even steeper when dental and vision are packaged together.

• Comprehensive prescription coverage: Some dental insurance plans do not offer great prescription coverage, but Careington's partners do.

• Cancel within 30 days: Careington lets customers test out the discount program first and cancel if they are not satisfied.

• Best for: Careington is best for uninsured or underinsured families, individuals and companies looking to fill gaps in coverage they already receive from a primary dental insurance program.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Careington Company Information