Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage
2.07/5

Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage

28 Careington Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 18, 2019

I just purchased this plan and so far I’m loving it. Everything that was promised I received great discount so I’m pleased. Money well spent on this plan. I purchased the individual plan. Had to get an extraction, that discount came in handy plus discount on prescriptions. One med was $89 with discount, I paid $42 so I’m pleased.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I'm very frustrated with Careington Dental. As a provider of Dental services I was requested to join and as a courtesy to these few patients I thought I would give it a try. There was a very lazy attitude from the recruiting dept. After I did get through the process, I came to find out that they sold our contract to a host of other insurance companies. It was in the contract that they could do that and it is my naivete that I didn't automatically know that they would. I terminated the contract, but would take 30 days to take effect. I just called to affirm that it was terminated and ask for a letter of termination. They denied my request for a letter and Julie wouldn't even give me her last name. I don't think that presents good faith business practice. Please use this entry as an alert to this company.

Get expert buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2019

A totally incompetent Company. I enrolled (my elderly parents) over the phone with a human for the Careington (POS) Discount Dental Plan, NOT the Careington 500 Plan. After completing the enrollment over the phone, I was told that my parents would receive their plan information and cards within 10 business days via the US mail. Almost a month went by and my parents did not receive anything in the mail from Careington. I called to inquire why. Careington some how had the WRONG addr... Hmmm, I enrolled with a human, how could that be? The street that my parents live on begins with the letter "L" however, Careington had their address for the next street over which begins with the letter "H." That was STRIKE 1.

I inquired as to how to set up my parent's account online and was told that in order to do that, I would have to contact their IT Dept w/ one of my parents on the phone with me so that my parents could authorize me to do so. I've done this plenty of times for my parents with other types of accounts and all I needed was their account number (which I had), so I knew that what the Rep was saying was incorrect. After I hung up, I went to Careington's website and lo and behold I was able to set up my parent's account online. That was STRIKE 2.

Upon gaining online access to my parent's account, I discovered that they had been enrolled in the Careington 500 plan.... NOT the plan that I wanted, STRIKE 3. When I called Careington the next day to inform them of THEIR ERROR, I was told that they were enrolled in the Careington (POS) Plan and Not the Careington 500 plan. I told them that if that is so, when I search for my parent's dentists, their dentists do NOT appear in the search results.... Their dentists only appear when I search within the Careington (POS) plan. Again they tried to convince me that my parent's were enrolled in the Careington (POS) plan. I said that I am not willing to take their word and find out when I take my parents to the dentist that what they are saying is not true. One of my parents is going to have an extensive and expensive amount of dental work and I want to be sure that they will receive the discount.

I told them that I have lost ALL CONFIDENCE in their company and that I am cancelling the plan and want a complete refund. The rep told me that I may not get it, and if I do receive a refund it will be less their $20.00 Administrative Fee. At that point I told the rep that I WILL receive a 100% refund as I paid for the plan with my American Express Card (A FANTASTIC Credit Card Company) and that I am calling American Express next, which I did.

I disputed the Careington charge with AMEX giving Amex all of the details above and told them that I am not going to pay the $20.00 Admin Fee for total and complete incompetence. Eventually I did receive a refund from Careington less the $20 admin fee. American Express refunded the $20 admin fee.... that's a great credit card company. I personally have a dental discount plan with DentalPlans.com. I should have enrolled my parents with DentalPlans.com.... and upon cancelling the Careington plan I did. There is NO comparison between the 2 companies. DentalPlans costs a little bit more, and has far superior service. If you are looking for a dental discount plan, AVOID Careington at all costs and enroll with DentalPlans.com.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I had the insurance for one year, but did not see the value - the discounts did not meet the promotional claims. My dentist had a lot of complaints about the plan/coverage, as well as the company's ignoring requests to cancel and continuing to charge peoples' accounts despite cancellation instructions. I would either shop for another company or talk to your dentist to see if you can get some discounts from that office.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I bought this plan because their website claims it saves its members 15 to 50% - WRONG! I need a root canal, on their site it estimates it will be $400 to $600 - I had an office visit with Dr. on their list of providers this afternoon and she gave me an estimate for almost $2000! She took $250.00 off as a courtesy for showing the card. This savings plan is an absolute joke!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Careington?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Ripoff - DC Dental Group/3901 W. McDowell Road Phoenix, AZ 85009. Went to DC Dental Group/3901 W. McDowell Road Phoenix, AZ 85009 mydcdental.com/ and presented my Careington 500 Dental Discount Card, DC Dental actually charged me more than they charge their normal customers. They quoted me $20 for a dental exam over the phone, then charged me $31.00 dollars, when I asked them why they charged me more than the $20.00 quoted to me over the phone, they blatantly to me, "Because you presented your Careington 500 Dental Discount Card!" Incredible.

Then Careington fee schedule listed $60.00 for a simple tooth extraction, DC Dental presented me with a quote for $170.00 for a simple tooth exaction. I paid the exam fee and got the heck out of there as soon as possible, then called my bank and disputed not only the dental ripoff but also Careington 500 Dental Discount Card ripoff, in addition to stopping payment on any further payments, reporting them to RipoffReport.com, a negative review here and also on Google. Stay far away from Careington 500 Dental Discount Card and even further away from DC Dental in Phoenix, Arizona.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Yes, if you take this to a dentist in their network they will show you an initial price (an artificially high one), and then show you a lower price as a result of your 500 series Careington/1Dental "discount", but it's total crap! Go and get a second opinion from a non participating dentist and you will get either the same price as their after "discount" pricing or probably something even lower without signing up for a non refundable extra program.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

They will provide a fee schedule and convince you that you will pay discounted prices at the dentist which is true of X-ray or dental cleaning... But when you need a root canal you will not pay the listed price because it does not exist... No general dentist is going to do a root canal on a molar so they will cover their ** by saying they tell you they will give you 20 percent off a specialist in their network. This is the biggest fraud I've ever seen... These people who are working as customer service agents are trained to cover this up by verbal disco but actually they are baiting and switching you with their 20 percent off routine. This is a big fraud and I hope there is some way to sue this company or get them put out of business for the garbage they are pulling!!! All I can say to these people is that they can go ** themselves and I hope they are shut down soon.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

This is the biggest waste of time and money I've seen in a while. The 'providers' list' is a joke - half of the dentists have moved, some YEARS AGO, others just laugh when I asked about Careington. To top it off, the agreement is written so that I will get diddly squat back as a refund. That's okay, Tex, ENJOY IT! For that money I'll get a lot of satisfaction telling everyone I know what a POS this outfit is. Consider it $4000m worth of bad PR!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I purchased their plan August 14, 2018. Called to cancel 6 days later. I was told they would refund me the $9.99 but the processing fee of $30 would not. However; on their website at the bottom of the page it clearly states: You may cancel within the first 30 days after effective date or receipt of membership materials (whichever is later) and receive a full refund, less a nominal processing fee (nominal fee for MD residents is $5, AR and TN residents will be refunded processing fee).

Well, I am an Arkansas resident and they still refused my request. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she told me that my request would go before a board of advisors for them to decide. This is a no brainer! I am due a FULL REFUND according to their policies and website yet, they put me on hold for minutes on end, transferred me around till I finally got a supervisor that told me that it was up to the board! I explained to her that they are a fraud and these are at best 'Gestapo' like business practices. I would suggest that anyone reading this think twice about using their services. I have never been more upset at the beginning of my day. I thought this would be quick and simple... NOT! Again, beware before you purchase.

Careington response

Hello Alicia, did you purchase your Careington plan directly from Careington? Our processing fee is only $20, however other sellers may have varying costs. If you would like to send us a direct message with your full name and date of purchase we can look you up in our system and help get this issue resolved. We are sorry this happened to you! You can also call our customer service line at (800) 290-0523. Thank you!

Careington expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Careington is a marketer, service administrator and aggregator of discount dental, health and wellness  payment schedules to help underinsured and uninsured individuals with dental expenses.

• Quality partners: Careington works with more than 40 leading healthcare companies to get customers the best dental care service.

• Simple research: Careington customers can easily search for a provider serving their area on Careington's website.

• Package discounts: Careington's discounts are even steeper when dental and vision are packaged together.

• Comprehensive prescription coverage: Some dental insurance plans do not offer great prescription coverage, but Careington's partners do.

• Cancel within 30 days: Careington lets customers test out the discount program first and cancel if they are not satisfied.

• Best for: Careington is best for uninsured or underinsured families, individuals and companies looking to fill gaps in coverage they already receive from a primary dental insurance program.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Careington Company Information