Find a Health Insurance partner

CareFirst

CareFirst

1.3/5 (71 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About CareFirst

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

CareFirst Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CareFirst?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carefirst?

Original review: March 12, 2021

After exploring a large variety of dental insurances and availability of highly recommended dentists, I found CareFirst most affordable and one of its inline high respected dentists was available. Excellent coverage.

Original review: April 23, 2021

After moving to a new state state, we immediately applied for a new health insurance policy through CareFirst. It has been over a month of continuously calling and speaking to multiple agents giving us inconsistent information on if they received our lease and utility bills for proof of relocation or not. This is after faxing and emailing this information on more than one occasion. It is very concerning to see how a company operates when the simplest things like enrollment cannot be done in a straightforward fashion.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: April 17, 2021

Need to correct some of the information...

Original review: April 16, 2021

I have a high deductible plan with CareFirst. I also had breast cancer and found out in Oct of 2020. I can tell you based on my experience, their refusal to pay for things could have had a very negative impact on my care. I'm lucky that I'm ok now, but I'm not sticking with CareFirst because I want to live, and they don't care if I do not.

My first complaint is that I've spent close to $13K on healthcare when I should have been covered. I'm counting this deduction in my salary and I'm not going to work for a company where I'm getting paid 13K less, so I will leave my job at the end of the year. I say this so any company considering a Carefirst high deductible plan should know, your staff like me, may leave as a result.

Second complaint - They could have killed me. They delayed me getting my Oncotype and BRCA Gene Breast Cancers test results by refusing to pay for them. Looks like they eventually paid $100 for the Oncotype and nothing for BRCA. Both of these tests are common and important in treating breast cancer and have a significant impact on the treatment plans and timing. Had my Oncotype indicated an aggressive tumor, the two-month delay in getting those test results could have allowed an aggressive tumor to metastasize. I'm lucky, my results were good, but for someone with an aggressive tumor, that two-month delay could be the difference between life and death. Added note I paid $700 for the BRCA tests, which doesn't even go against my out-of-pocket costs maximums. It's just more money from me.

They also keep refusing to pay for Proton treatments, which I'm guessing I'm going to be paying an additional $2.5K out of pocket for. Proton treatments are very common treatments for breast cancer as they cause less damage than traditional radiation treatments, and are covered by most insurance carriers including Medicare. Of course, BCBS doesn't care if I live or die because my company will just replace me with another worker that will pay their premium. Until they get frustrated and quit the company as well.

In conclusion: I do not recommend them. If you apply for a job with CareFirst as the Medical, I would turn down that job.

Original review: April 3, 2021

Beware of Carefirst Bluecross Blueshield. Please read this complaint, and then you will choose another supplemental insurance carrier. My mother, Eileen ** passed away in October 2020 at the age of 97. She had CareFirst for decades as her supplemental health insurance. I reported her death to CareFirst, Wells Fargo and Wesbanco and closed those accounts to prevent any future fraudulent monthly billing. Care First assured me that I was due a refund for the balance of the month. I told them that my mother's credit card was inactivated. CareFirst said they would send a refund check. Wells Fargo assured me that her credit card was immediately inactivated and there would be no further transactions allowed.

In February I realized I had received neither a refund nor a letter of condolences from CareFirst. In the following three weeks I made many calls. Each time I was told by the person I spoke with that they would get back with me. I requested to speak with a supervisor with 4 different agents. My requests were denied. Finally, I was told I had to complain to Wells Fargo. Apparently, CareFirst sent two refunds of $838.87 and $6.91 to Wells Fargo in December. Wells Fargo told me to contact CareFirst and simply have then rescind their refunds and then send me a check. Further conversations with CareFirst again was just a waste of time. They have never provided me with any written or verbal response, indicating why they would not send a refund as promised.

How can CareFirst issue a refund to a credit card to a member's credit card after she has passed away, and they credit card has been cancelled? It is their responsibility to issue a refund to the appropriate party. It is pitiful the way that CareFirst has treated me. and the My mother spent tens of thousands of dollars over 30 years and now they will not send a refund. Tony **

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

I pay out of pocket for CareFirst insurance. My ID card has the dentist and location on the card. I went to have services done on September 15, 2020. I checked the CareFirst website and noticed the claims for a routine cleaning was denied. On October 6, 2020 I contacted CareFirst and was told I went to a doctor out of network. I explained that was not true, I went to the location on my card. The rep stated he will be sending the claim back through and it would take 7 to 10 business days. 10 business days later, I called back because nothing changed on the website. That rep stated she was putting the claim through again and it would take 7 to 10 business days. Ok 10 business days later still and issue and I calls back. This rep states she is sending it through again and claims can take 15 to 30 business days.

Ok here we are 23 business days in and not 1 indication that they are working on this issue. I owe a bill that I should not be owing and I need further work done but can't because I owe a bill that I should not owe. Now, as I type this I am on hold waiting for a supervisor and the rep keeps stating no supervisor is available. Well sir, guess what I will hold. I am not hanging up until someone does their job. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

Do NOT try to get a "Free routine physical" from BCBS CareFirst. You will open yourself up to many many many bills from services and billing parties you never heard of conjuring up reasons to take your money. They are crooks and grifters. When it comes to health care in America NOTHING IS FREE NO MATTER WHAT THIS INSURANCE PROVIDE GUARANTEES. My doctor's office used the wrong code to bill me, the third party billing company put my address in wrong. And all of these errors/mistakes were my responsibility to fix. It took me 8 hours of phone calls and paperwork and runaround to avoid most of the bills, but they are still coming. I get a new bill from a new mysterious company every week from a routine physical that should be covered and "Free". It is not. It is a lie.

Original review: April 17, 2019

It is a HDHP HMO with PPO out of area. You can't beat the BCBC provider network and predictability of costs with co-payments instead of coinsurance. CareFirst has a great network where I live in the Washington, DC metro area. The only downside is their customer service is below average.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I recently submitted a claim and after submitting, received the popup with the reference number and also received email. Now, being the first time I split the claim in case something went wrong, didn't want to put all the eggs in one basket to so speak. When I logged back in to create another claim I notice there were no submissions shown that I had entered. I contacted tech support and while nice enough were not able to recover it ... fine, I'll do it again.

The second time I may have entered the wrong address, home address instead of clinic address. I emailed to see if they could check. While waiting for email I created a second claim. When I eventually received email I was told once submitted no corrections could be made, not even the address. They then said it appears I already resubmitted the claim. I wrote back and explained no I didn't resubmit the claim, they are two different claims. I then received an email back stating that there is no way to cancel a claims submission and the claim will be processed twice, one will deny as a duplicate. First time using CareFirst support - not remotely impressed! -Rick

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I'm someone who's never been fired from any customer service job or any job for that matter who is just astounded by how incompetent CareFirst clerical workers tend to be. While moving once my card was misplaced so I needed to order a new one. It took about 7 calls before they finally got it right. Later I had some bloodwork done to determine whether I have one genetic condition. There were clerical issues yet again until that was worked out. Finally and most recently a woman on the phone said I could renew my membership quite a while before the Jan 31 deadline. I went ahead and worked with her. She said it was all recorded on the phone. My phone records indicate clearly that I called. Well what do you know? My insurance status isn't listed as active, and after 2 phone calls later I've had no one effectively help me once.

One male said I'd renewed on Dec 24 and that I needed to do more? I renewed nothing on the 24th because at that point I was still working on sorting out the clerical error involving the blood lab which wasn't done until the 28th as an email shows me still reaching out to the blood lab then which by the way was worked out. I told him that, too. Worse yet? I'd almost gotten a surgery this February that CareFirst said they covered - a tubal ligation because I have bad genes and have never wanted to procreate. Well I was approved and scheduled for the procedure. Thank goodness I cancelled or they wouldn't have even covered it like I'd gotten a letter stating they would because the recorded phone call renewal of my membership was apparently never entered into the system! I only cancelled because of the post tubal ligation symptoms

I read other women had experienced - thank goodness I listened to them and thank goodness for everyone on the site telling the truth! I once must have waited about 40 minutes only for my phone call to be forwarded to Nobody at all! It's shameful! Even if someone does fix this latest issue I don't want to work with them ever again! I am beyond tired of this bs and appreciate that I don't actually need anything right now. This insurance only seemed really necessary for if I were injured in a car accident, but honestly after reading what a lot of people have written I doubt they'd even help me there because they can barely help any of us with a simple phone call! Avoid them like the plague if you can and just beware of their bs in general.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I had private health coverage with care first and auto payment was set up for that for years, end of 2018 I had to make changes to my insurance through Maryland health connection but I selected the same plan with care first, the only difference is my daughter was removed from the plan. I received welcome letter from them and another letter notifying me that my policy has changed from the first one to the second one and they are stating the new amount due. I was shocked when I checked my bank account online to see four transactions by care first, two for medical and two for dental for both the old policy and the new policy. I called them to fix this mistake and to find out why all these double charges. They were so rude and informed it's too late to fix this issue and they can't refund me the old policy payment that was charged by mistake. I'm looking for new provider now and I don't recommend this scam company to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Individual deductible is 16% of my annual income and combined family deductible is 32%. No benefits are realized until annual deductible is met, which amounts to having to pay provider's full rate (minus insurance "discount"), so the stated $50 office call runs anywhere from $75-$100, until deductible is met, which at the rate set, it won't. Further, premiums don't count toward deductible (contrary to my experience with other legitimate insurance). Further yet, the so-called prescription drug benefit is non-existent.

According to the carrier's own literature, prescriptions are supposed to be covered at $10/45/60. Yet my FORMULARY asthma medication costs me over $200 retail. When asked why my prescription isn't $10 per fill, I'm told that coverage doesn't go into effect until I meet my individual deductible. So, in effect, I pay around $780/month for a discount plan. Run as far as you can from this plan. You're probably better off going to an exchange under the UN-affordable Care Act (Obamacare). Looking to start/join a class-action lawsuit against BC/BS CareFirst for insurance fraud and file criminal complaint with my state's insurance regulator.

CareFirst Company Information